Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by horacebork See Profile

• Location: 09001
Good "service, support, reliability, value"
Bad "price goes up. regularly."
Overall "basically good service. wish their internet-only rates were more competetive."

(note: i only use twc for my cable internet. i do not use them for tv as i receive good reception and am not interested in 95% of cable programming.)

originally was resold twc thru ny connect. ny connect was essentially a pass-thru company and offered no value-added services. twc handled all my technical and account level support, so ny connect was essentially of no added value.

we have had power or service disruptions on several occasions. in each instance, twc very supportive. nyc was working on the road in front of my building and cut the line at least twice. in both instances they were prompt sending out service staff to perform repairs. and when the repairs were not completed within a 24 hour period, they prorated my fees for the month.

this past december (2013) they offered a year-end deal. for $10 less they offered double the download and upload speeds. when i called in, they said this was for first time customers. however, the rep simply offered the discounted rate to me anyways. for that, i had to terminate my service with the essentially useless ny connect and directly subscribe with twc. perhaps that was what allowed them to offer me the discounted rate.

at one point they "changed" their service and were going to start "renting" the cable modem to me at $5/mo. i thought this was a little greedy so i bought a cable modem (listed on their approved list) for myself ($40 motorola surfboard). works fine. they even recognize it from their end.

they regularly increase their rates without increasing up/down speeds. this is really nervy. there is not much cost difference between 20mbs and 40mbs. but the price they increase my services far outstrips any difference incurred by greater up/down speeds.

oh well, i am hoping that i can renew my current monthly rate this december.

[update] converted my subscription form nyconnect to twc directly. ny connect offered no value added services. rates were higher than direct to twc.

Comments:

Review by chrisk01 See Profile

• Location: Garden Grove,Orange,CA
Good "Speed, no data caps, price"
Bad "Sales information, installation issues"
Overall "TWC has been very good as a service ... so far"

Ordered the 30mb/5mb plan (internet only, no TV/phone) over the phone on March 1st for a new condo I was moving into the following Monday.

Sales rep said the earliest tech available was for Friday March 7th. Sales rep never gave me an order number or took a phone number/email in case the installation tech needed to reach someone in case he/she had problems getting into the condo units. I tried out the online chat to see how that was and I talked to one 'analyst' who tried to upsell me on TV/phone, and another who told me he couldn't do anything and that I'd have to call in to get help. Called and got an order number and everything sorted out with another rep over the phone. Getting a live person was fairly quick on both calls in but I do not look forward to having to deal with customer support in the future.

Installer showed up earlier than expected and got to work installing the lines. The condo is pre-wired with a breakout box with runs of CAT5 to each room but the installer was not able to figure it out even after having a 'supervisor' show up to troubleshoot. The supervisor actually made a mistake in connecting the line which added more time to the installers work. The installation took nearly 3 hours and I felt like they cut corners to speed up them getting out of here. I have a friend who will be able to get everything sorted out but the installation was pretty bumpy and a little worrying sign of the quality of the company.

I was set up with an Arris DG860 modem/router and after everything was setup I did a few speed tests and everything seems to be running smooth. I've tested multiple times around 35mb/5mb up so I'm getting what was expected and even a little bit more but will need to see how the speed holds up in the upcoming weeks/months. I have read about issues about the wi-fi portion of the Arris unit so will be using my own wireless router and getting it set up in bridged mode to take over the wi-fi duties.

I mainly got TWC to act as a bandaid until either Sonic.net or DSLExtreme make their way to Orange County hopefully sometime later this year but if the speeds stay consistent with TWC I may stick it out until the end of the year to make sure the DSL offerings from the other companies gain a stable foundation in the area.

Very early impressions are :::

+ = Speeds, no caps, price (relative to what else is available in this area)

- = Sales information, installation issues.

I will update the review in the upcoming weeks/months if anything happens.

3/15/14 - 1 week later and the line has been quite solid. No noticeable downtime and I have had no problems being disconnected from streams or games.

I did receive an invoice for the first month and it had a page that said that the price of the service was jumping up $3 dollars starting next month. When I ordered the service the rep told me that the current prices would probably not change for the next year and then it does. The price changes affect a lot of TV/internet packages and this is something I'm sure the reps would know about and shouldn't mention that the prices won't change to new customers. $3 isn't a HUGE deal but it's still an upcharge that the rep shouldn't of mentioned at all and I'd have no reason to complain. For that I'm deducting a star from the pre-sales information.

9/21/14 - Service has been great since the start. Only a handful of issues in the time I've had it and most have been solved by a modem reboot. I was also upgraded to the 100/10 plan from 30/5 free of charge and I'm really happy with the service. Ratings updated.

member for 13.1 years, 283 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

toobs

join:2014-05-01
Fountain Valley, CA

Downgrade to Turbo or Rent an new Modem

If you were getting 30/5, you should be getting 200/20 with the same Extreme package. If you are only getting 100/10 with your current modem, you should either rent an new modem from Time Warner that can handle MAXX (200/20, 300/20), or downgrade to Turbo (100/10) and save $10 a month.
chrisk01

join:2001-08-20
Garden Grove, CA

Re: Downgrade to Turbo or Rent an new Modem

Hey thanks for the heads up!

I did eventually call TWC and downgrade to the Turbo plan.

Review by Packeteers See Profile

• Location: Forest Hills,Queens,NY
Good "all domestic sales and support"
Bad "intrusive IP activity monitoring"
Overall "no contract means low risk trying"

Feb'2012 post install feedback;

After a lot of procedural headaches with Verizon aDSL, I decided to give TWCable a try. I was impressed how technically savvy they were in sales, and how easy it was to reschedule install appointments and get more info.

The installer came on time, but was kind of a jerk; instead of putting in a $3 video:data splitter on to my existing CATV cable, he spliced a coupler out in the hallway cable tray to run the new cable to my computer, left the old CATV cable without a connector - so he basically left a mess for the next guy who may later upgrade me for HDTV, and added more unnecessary DB loss on my line for future DOCSIS3 upgrading.

more bad luck as the first new RCA model DCM425 modem he tried had a DOA Ethernet port, and he got testy with me when i proved to him it was not my computer by showing a twinkling ethernet NIC card light while attached to my old Verizion Westell 7500 modem. I think these installers are so used to dealing with 80yo great grandmothers who just want to email their kids, that when a tech savvy customer comes along that questions their modus operandi, they can get easily flustered. I later discovered the working modem he left me was actually used for the past 6 Months according to the modems own EventLog.

My download order rating was 10mbps but I'm often seeing 12-16mbps during non primetime hours, and around 7-10mbps during primetime. my Latency to the 3rd Hop is 15-25ms, which seems impressive for a Broadband ISP.

* I knew on order I would get only 0.5mbps upload, but I'm pretty bummed out on how much that low latency bandwidth makes Video chat, VoIP, online games and even forum posting feel sluggish compared to the low Latency 0.8mbps upload I enjoyed with Verizon aDSL. I suspect the upload is compressed by the ISP, making it even more problematic for certain upload intensive applications.

Getting a new dynamic public IP is more cumbersome than it was on my Verizon aDSL modem, but at least it's possible if you have a router to alternate your mac address with your pc's mac.

wideband 30/5 DOCSIS3 is offered here for $20/mo more, so I may upgrade once I grow more confident in TWCable stability and reliably especially during primetime hours. I'll reevaluate in 3-6 months, and change my worst-best scores as they merit it: »testmy.net/quickstats/spypet

Mar'2012 first Month feedback;

* My upload seems to have been increased to 1mbps, download averages over 10mbps, and Latency is a respectable 20ms, so I'm very pleased with the performance and reliability thus far. I'm able to trip DHCP into giving me a new IP address by alternating between my PC's MAC and my extra Router's MAC address, and I find that ability comforting. now that my upload feels increased, I notice fewer upload compression symptoms, and upload intensive applications are more responsive.

I used online chat tech support for the first time, and am sad to report the live person seemed more interested in running through some unrelated diagnostic script that only demonstrated to me he had no real technical understanding of my question. I eventually found the answer I needed elsewhere just googling around for it.

Torrent users should be aware that TWCable seems very intrusive of such activity even if all you do is grab some TV episode you just missed, so a good third party Proxy/VPN or SeedBox is advised to protect your privacy and net neutrality. Since my 15/1 line cost me less than I was paying the far less intrusive Verizon, I don't mind paying someone else extra for a LeaseWeb based anonymizing service.

May'2012 deterioration:

My average speed has decreased from over 14/1 to 9/1 for no reason, but that is still near the 10/1 of Standard service speed. My area suffers a few hours of ISP service outage every 2 Months.

June'2012 intermittent:

I'm averaging 12/1 but my connection to the internet seems to lock up, and even though the activity lights look normal, i'm forced to power cycle the modem to get back on the web just about every other day.

Aug'2012 back on track:

I finally insisted TWCable do a premise visit by a Tech, not an installer. he could not find anything specifically wrong but swapped out my original install RCA modem for a Ubee. ever since then my line has been more consistent and I have not needed to power cycle my new modem.

Nov'2012 spotty routing:

I bought my own $28 factory reconditioned sb5101u docsis2 modem to avoid the monthly lease fee, and also benefited from a recent free speed increase given to all Standard plans.

I regret not getting a docsis3 but the few on their support list were over $100. It's a shame TWCable made us buy our own modems, since now it's far less likely I'll try their 30/5 wideband plan once my first year ends in

Feb'2013.

so now i'm enjoying 20/1 offpeak 15/1 peak with 2.0MB/s average instead of 1.2MB/s. routing issues continue to be TWCable's weak point, as I often get better connectivity to US sight while on my European VPN then I do right off my public IP domestically. with FiOS still a year away from being build up on my block, I'm glad for the speed and ability TWCable gave me to help keep things affordable.

April'2013 intermittent speed:

I suffered for a few weeks with poor routing and bad speed, so I called Tier 1 who escalated me to Tier 3, and all he saw as a just below threshold coax signal, so he ordered a premise visit. On my own volition, I changed the MAC of the device connected to my modem, power cycled and got a new dynamic public IP assigned to my modem. Sure enough that solved my problem as my speed and routing was back to normal, so I cancelled the premise visit - now I know to try this when I see similar symptoms. My guess is TWC somehow assigned two devices on their network the same IP, so we were both getting each other's packet traffic. I'm still tempted to upgrade to a docsis3 30/5 service - just waiting for confirmation from any local resident that my area enjoys 8/4 channel bonding. I continue to use a Romanian VPN provider for all P2P/Torrent traffic and regularly enjoy 1Mb/s transfer rates, so I can download an hour long 460p TV show in 6 minutes.

September'2013 intermittent modem resets:

My SB5101u docsis2 modem was rebooting every time I used over 60% of my bandwidth for more than 10 minutes. TWCable was willing to do a premise visit, but I suspected that a SB6141 docsis3 modem would fix the problem. my old docsis2 modem had out of date firmware that TWCable no longer would push updates to, and i suspected all the docsis3 upgrading to my local network was causing any out of date docsis2 equipment to grow unstable under stress. It seems my suspicious were correct as all my problem seem to clear up once my SB6141 was activated in it's place. After some brutal long duration download sessions the new modem stays on rock solid and I'm currently enjoying 8/4 down/up bound channels and low packet loss 16/1 speeds. The 20/1 speed I enjoyed for free 6 Months ago is gone as of July'13 as is all power boost caching. TWCable's CEO said we may all get a 10% speed increase to make it up to subscribers for their second lease fee increase from $4 to $6. when I notice that take effect I will update my review page here.

It's just a shame I didn't buy this SB6141 Oct'2012 when TWCable started charging lease fees, so I recommend anyone even if your service is 3mb or 15mb to still invest in a good docsis3 modem, since docsis2 equipment may no longer get up to date support by TWCable's network.

September'2014 IP & MAXX

In February Channels in use increase from 4:4 to 8:4, In June I agreed to pay more for 20/2 Turbo service. Early September TWC changed my IP and a week later I saw the MAXX increase: »i.imgur.com/0tST0LO.jpg but my firmware revision remains at Mar 12 2013, still no IPv6 support, and actual MB/s throughput is close to the 5x MAXX promised. I'm pleased with this free upgrade, but am worried it will cost me more next year once Comcast takes over - as I consume an average of 400GB per Month.

member for 9.2 years, 4017 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
xQim

join:2003-09-20
·Fairpoint Commun..

4 edits

Call Tech Support

Xtreme Package
Something is seriously wrong. I have a Residential Xtreme Package (30Mbps/5Mbps) which I get a steady 32Mbps/6Mbps + my expensive Business Package of (10Mbps/1.5Mbps) which i get 11Mbps/1.7Mbps. There is no reason that your speeds are that low. Are you using a 5MHz - 1000MHz splitter. How many splitters? Are you using an approved DOCSIS 3.0 modem? What gauge coaxial cable are you using to the modem and input line? Just trying to help.

Using a DOCSIS 2.0 modem for anything above Standard is a big no no. Bandwidth is all over the place plus tons of drops.

I am using a Motorola SB6141 and running 8 Downstream and 4 Upstream channels (Residential). Power Levels are perfect. Maybe check those? 192.168.100.1 and post the results.

Business Line is running a DOCSIS 2.0 Modem. Levels again are prefect.

And buy a Motorola SB6141 which can be had for $99 at Walmart. You will not regret it, plus you will save $8 in rental fees for a modem that is not suitable for your connection. Ubee is junk.

Here is a picture of what Xtreme should be.

Also attached is my Business Line, which seems to be well above advertised.

Review by ipwn3r456 See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Full speeds almost all the time, pricing isn't that bad."
Bad "TWO billing mistakes, with occasional connectivity issues."
Overall "Well, it connects to the internet. But I still wish for competition."

I am using their Standard tier internet (originally 10/1, later upgraded to 15/1, and now the 10% provisioning is more of 16.3/1.1), originally paying $29.99. But since my promotion ends in one year, they continued to give me an another promotion, but pricing increased to $36.99 (without taxes, modem fees, etc.), I am fine with that... for now.

I ordered internet online, and process is pretty smooth. Although the technician came in a few minutes late(I think the appointment was around 10am-12pm, the technician came around 12:05pm). First he checked the cables outside, and drilled a hole so the cable can go through. He installed an Ambit modem (forgot the model number), which now I am using my own modem, Motorola SB6141. Everything went smooth, until when the technician was about to leave, my neighbor came out and told the technician that he disconnected his TV cable. The technician quickly installed a splitter, and no problems.

Overall I am fine with my internet speeds, no outages, no slow-downs (almost all the time), and I am pretty fine with it. Although I want competition. Besides TWC, only AT&T serves in our area as well. But they are only offering up to 1.5mbps DSL, which is completely irreverent in terms of speeds and pricing. I would want AT&T to have Uverse coverage in our area, not because I want to switch back, it's because I want competition in case if TWC soars up prices on me.

Update 12/4/13 - Time Warner keep charging me for modem rental, even though I have been using my SB6141 for more than a month. The lady over the live chat was nice enough to remove the fee. So I guess another problem solved. But seriously Time Warner, fix your billing systems. It looks like the billing system is more "profit" wise than accuracy. This is already the second mistake Time Warner did. The first time was charging me for installation fee even though it was free. And I am dropping the pre-sales 25% lower because of that.

Update 12/16/13 - During the past few days, my internet connection was pretty terrible. I am getting over 200ms+ ping, and also packet loss. Speed was also dramatically decreased, making it a terrible browsing experience. Because of that, I am dropping connection reliability 25% lower.

Update 4/9/14 - Everything is still fine, getting full speeds almost all the time, maybe with the exception of peak times. I will have to see about pricing changes after my 2nd year promotion (which ends in august), plus the upcoming MAXX upgrades (if it ever happens in my area).

Update 6/16/14 - Connection problems are getting worse lately. I don't know what is going on, but I am getting packet losses/high ping issues, sometimes few times a week, sometimes as worse as few times a day... can't even play any online games with my connection. For this, I am taking off another 25% from connection reliability. Might have to contact TWC about this if this keeps happening. No TWC MAXX upgrades yet, still sticking with 8 download channels and 1 upload channel.

Update 7/31/14 - Just upgraded to Turbo as a part of negotiation, since they are going to charge me $50 for standard, so I called their retention department and the promotional price for turbo is all they can offer me. I said yes, and saved $5 a month, for now. I should be more aggressive next time when I am negotiating with TWC. No TWC MAXX upgrades yet, but we will see how it goes later this year.

Comments:
mbreyer

join:2013-11-14

Los Angeles, CA

Re: .

said by mbreyer:

sir that is the competition. they just aren't competing very well

Yep, typical monopoly in the telecommunications. And the politicians just doesn't give a damn about it.

FreeBSDuser

join:2013-05-15
Somers, NY

Alternatives

Looking at your address, you may be able to get Sonic.net, DSL Extreme (resold Sonic.net), Webpass, and Earthlink Cable (resold TWC).
ipwn3r456

join:2013-07-31
Los Angeles, CA

Re: Alternatives

said by FreeBSDuser:

I do know that sonic.net is available in my area, but I live 10000 feet away from the CO... I don't think I can get fast speeds from that range.

Review by ElJay See Profile

• Location: Portland,Cumberland,ME
Good "Speed is what I ordered"
Bad "Ordering and install took hours on the phone, reliability declining"
Overall "Now that it is going, I hope it just works"

Update September 7, 2014: The past couple of weeks have not been good for reliability. I woke up and found myself affected by TWC's national outage on August 27, and last night my internet was out for 6.5 hours. If I had another option for broadband, I would gladly take it.

_____________

I recently moved and sadly Time Warner Cable is the only broadband option in my new location. I am too far away from the central office for any usable DSL and I do not have line of sight to connect to our local WISP.

The sales and ordering process was not good. I called to establish TV and internet service. The previous occupants of the house had recently cancelled service, which left a work order out there that was somehow blocking me in Time Warner's system from signing up for new service. The guy on the phone tried to clear it, but he couldn't do anything until we waited an hour and it filtered out of the system. I called back an hour later, somehow got the same guy again, and we continued where we left off. It still took another forty five minutes on the phone to get to the point of done because of various system difficulties they seemed to be experiencing.

I decided to bring my own modem which I purchased off of their approved modem list, which allows me to avoid their $6/mo modem lease fee. In retaliation for this decision, it took over an hour on the phone with them to activate my modem. I was passed between seven different people. After forty seven minutes on the line, one of them deliberately hung up on me because he supposedly couldn't hear me. Before that I was transferred erroneously to the billing department. One person didn't seem to understand the difference between a modem and a cable box. Across all of these different people, I had to tell each one the phone number on my account and at least four different people the MAC address on the modem. Luckily, for the last guy I was dealing with, I eventually found a slip of paper I received when I got my cable box that had my account number on it. This tidbit of information seemed to be the gateway to getting activated. This last guy still took twenty minutes to get it working, but at least their network actually let me pass data now.

The speed is very solid and matches what I ordered. I just hope that I never have to call them up again.

join:2014-01-06

Fiendishly clever plan to stonewall BYOM provisioning.

It does seem that they were annoyed that you chose to BYOM, and it wouldn't surprise me for one second that TWC makes it difficult to provision your own modem hoping that after a few failed tries you will submit to renting one of their own. Utter bullshite if you ask me, and very deliberate.

I would have called their executive office and told them about your experience, it isn't rocket science to provision a modem.
xQim

join:2003-09-20

Re: Fiendishly clever plan to stonewall BYOM provisioning.

You do have another option. unFairpoint. Good luck with there awesome, yet terrible service.

Review by suprleg See Profile

• Location: Garden Grove,Orange,CA
Good "Reliable and consistant speeds"
Bad "Tech support is marginal"
Overall "Good value for the price"

I've been using [TWC] RR for about six months and have been very happy with my connection's performance and reliability to date. The package I ordered: 8/512 has consistently lived up to the billing and I've rarely found my connection to be below 7.8/485. I've had no problems with the hardware supplied, a RCA digital cable router or the outside cabling. The install was simple and the tech's friendly, knowledgeable, and fast. Since a static ip is only available with business-class accounts I'm on a dhcp connection with a linksys WRT54GX4 acting as my gateway. My only criticism would be in the area of customer support. Its difficult getting information locally on items such as area upgrades and customer service in general. On the whole I'm very pleased even after 5 years of being a loyal Speakeasy DSL customer, who has A+ tech and customer

support.

Updated 4/07/07
About a month ago we were upgraded to 10/1 at no additional monthly charge, hard to not be happy with the increase at no cost.

Updated 12/07/07
Just wanted to note that as the year draws to a close I continue to be pleased with RoadRunner's reliable service and consistant speeds.

Updated 10/27/08
A quick note: I hadn't checked my up/dwn speeds since we were given a free upgrade last year to 10/1 and was pleasantly surprised that my speeds had increased to 11/1.7! Very nice for the same price.

As of 6/4/'10 I'm still very satisfied with TWC/RR, the speeds have increased to 18/1.8,at no additional cost, with few if any interruptions. As I mentioned in the past, customer service is still lacking, however I believe most services suffer from this problem.

1/31/'12: Quick update, I'm still very happy with TWC/RR. Speeds have steadily increased over my time with them, cost has remained the same, and have had zero technical problems. A+

8/8/'12 Speeds, up have remained consistent, however my download speeds have been markedly slower and vary greatly per speed tests over the last few months....I'm in wait and see mode at the moment.

9/9/'13 We recently moved from Garden Grove, Ca. to Cypress, Ca. and tried to simply "transfer" our current account to the new location...Nightmare..!
I guess TWC is no different than any other company these days. After tens of calls to tech support I've managed to find one or two people that speak English, are in the USA, have any tech savvy,etc...etc.. Things are beginning to resolve themselves, but it's been a battle..we do however, finally have a working phone and internet..yay!!

9/1/'14 One year update: After the initial problems of our move to Cypress were resolved things have settled down once again and we're happy with our service. Last month were saw a speed increase to 14MB/down and 2.5MB/up.

member for 10.4 years, 3284 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bbrcat See Profile

• Location: NH
Good "Decent up/down speeds,but they fluctuate"
Bad "speed fluctuations"
Overall "Overall, I am pleased"

Aside from (often dramatic) speed fluctuations, I am pleased and satisfied with my 10/1 (or there abouts) service.Speeds vary
from 11/2.5 down to 1/.7 which gets kind of old sometimes(though adequate still for my needs).

member for 13.8 years, 5090 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Trebonious See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "Still going strong, very little (if any) downtime."
Bad "Modem Fees"
Overall "Left AT&T in 2011 and never looked back."

August 2014 to Present
-----------------------------------------------------------
Still no issues. Speeds are now higher than before pegging 57mb/s down, 5.7mb/s up. Had to call in to get a lower rate. Was paying $95 a month for Ultimate 50. After calling in I was able to get the price dropped to $78 a month which includes modem rental fee.

I still don't notice any drops in speed no matter when checked. Still quite happy with my service. It could be cheaper but everything could be cheaper. I feel I am getting what I am paying for and that's what matters.

June 23rd, 2013 to Mid 2014
-----------------------------------------------------------
Over two full years with Time Warner Cable (still connected to Road Runner services) and couldn't be happier. Recently upgraded to 50/5 service in a roughly 5 minute phone call. Was active before I even got off the phone on the new profile. I'm impressed.

Connection reliability is >99% and still peak at max profile speed even middle of the afternoon.

Extremely happy with the service and as long as TWC continues to provide this level of service without raising prices I'll be sure to be here in 2 more years.

April 5th, 2011 to June 20th 2013
------------------------------------------------------------
Ordered service through Time Warner Cable's for Road Runner with Install dates set to Saturday afternoon and Monday morning. Once the order was completed, it picked Tuesday afternoon. While I understand the necessity of adjusting install dates, I feel that should be reflected on the ordering process. Thankfully they notified me before Monday so I was able to adjust my schedule.

Install techs were great. I had to have a line driven in through the wall which was done with little mess. It is very neat and professionally installed and signals were checked to be within spec at time of install. Speeds immediately pegged full speed of 30/5 mid-afternoon.

As far as reliability goes, the connection is roughly 2000% more reliable compared to my ADSL connection through AT&T which dropped 10-20 times a day. The only real reliability issues that came up were minor outages at 2 am. And typically those only last 10-15 minutes. So not a big deal to me. And in the evenings I can sometimes notice the downstream drop to 25-26 vs the 30. But really, 25-26 gives me no visible issues.

For now my connection is running just as I want it to. As soon as anything changes (for the good or bad) I'll be updating this review.

member for 13.2 years, 1523 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by hawk82 See Profile

• Location: Oakland,Kennebec,ME
Good "Lots of bandwidth, little port filtering from what I can tell"
Bad "Vonage doesn't sound as good as it was when I was with VZ Business DSL."
Overall "Haven't made up my mind yet."

Was with VZ Business DSL. While it worked well, I was out too far from the CO to get the full connection. I need more bandwidth for two VoIP lines, plus downloads and patches for customer's computers, VPNs, remote troubleshooting, etc.

Called on a Tuesday I believe. Spoke with a sales rep who seemed pretty good. He forgo the normal Site Survey. I only have two business computers so I gave him that information. I fit under the Business Lite service. He arranged an install a few days later.

TWC Installer came out around 9am. He had an attitude. I explained to the installer that I had already ran a new RG-11 run through underground conduit and all I needed was to have him hook the line up the pole at an available tap and two end connectors put on the wire. He wasn't too happy about climbing the pole, but got the work done quickly in about 20mins. I had explained to the sales rep that I would run this cable, thus making this install real easy on the tech. I guess the sales person didn't pass this information onto the installers ticket.

Up and running. Seems to be good. My vonage line doesn't sound all that great. Sounded better on the VZ line actually.

Will update this at a later point.

1/12/2014: Have had this service for several years now. I had issues probably 3-4 yrs ago where the modem would lose sync about every 30 minutes. Had several techs come out and try this or that. Finally they admitted to a problem on the cable plant and would send out a maintenance crew to locate the issue. Problems continues for a few months after that. Never heard whether they actually repaired anything or not. Issue seemed to have gone away. Still no battery backups on their plant however. Really annoying. Doesn't look like they'll ever address that. I get a weekly mailing (to the service address & billing address) from TWC urging me to order their overpriced digital phone service. I occasionally get phone calls from random sales reps trying to get me to order the phone service as well. I tell them I pay less than $20 a month for 2 VoIP lines & 800#. That usually shuts them up for another year, as they cannot compete at that rate. Price wise, I've only had one increase, now paying $85.95 a month. It is a grandfathered plan from what I can tell. A similar current package would cost me 2x as much. No thanks, I'll keep this package.

8/22/2014: Nothing new to report.

Comments:

Review by lms See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Great Performance. Maybe one outage a year."
Bad "Recovery from an outage once took the entire weekend."
Overall "Great performance and reliability"

I have had my service with Time Warner for over 10 years (Media One, Comcast, Time Warner) and wouldn't switch for anything short of Fiber.

I rarely have an outage and when I do it usally is restored in a couple of hours (Once there was a two day wait over the weekend) and CS is always friendly and helpful.