Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Pegasus See Profile

• Location: Hilton,Monroe,NY
Good "Stable speeds. Lots of HD. Better appointment times. Whole home DVR works great. No fee's for paying bill on the phone."
Bad "No premiums HBO, Showtime ETC included. Should include another client box. "
Overall "if your happy with TWC in your area & want more than 1 DVR & 50/5 internet signature home makes sense."

Signed up for signature home on 7/14/2013, Installed on 7/21/2013

Ordering was pretty smooth. spoke with a very nice woman who was easy to understand and pleasant & excited about what she was selling.

Installation was quick & painless. Tech sat down with my family & myself before installing anything to go over all the services and to make sure it suited all of our needs. after that all the cable outlets were tested & the tech was shown where all the equipment was to be placed.

For cable boxes i was given 2 Cisco 8742HDC.

For data & phone i kept the dual modem set up i already had, Arris for data & Technicolor for the home phone.

The only real complaint i have about signature home thus far are:

1. should include one client box included in the 199.99 price.

2. The call center for signature home is iffy. its hit or miss. Its not a terrible, the agents are never rude or unhelpful but sometimes it feels like the agents are in training & they are nervous.

Things i rave about:

1. No stupid fee's for paying over the phone, or paying by check over the phone.

3. Im never on hold when i call

4. The appointment times are fantastic. no waiting around for a tech.

5. The field techs. only the best of the best tech's do signature home appointments. this is really great. in the past before signature home ive had some very rude lousy techs.

Overall its just nice to have a cable company kiss my keister, even if its just a peck.

July 2014 Update.

Not much of anything has change service wise. Only changes have been with support. the signature home call center in NC is excellent now. No more using *67 to block my number when calling to get regular support. Its flip flopped. regular support is horrendous now it seems.

member for 6.5 years, 206 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by aemurray See Profile

• Location: Van Nuys,Los Angeles,CA
Good "download speed, reliable"
Bad "Too many menus in reacing tech support"
Overall "Tech support and service seems to have deteriorated"

Have used TW for 10 years, services until recently has actually been very, extremely good. Of late, the past 3 months, the phone and the RoadRunner service disconnects. Contacting tech support is of little to no value. The roadrunner service has deteriorated tremendously. Have called several time because of numerous, long-term drops. Have had to disconnect all cables (power, coax, Ethernet) and hit reset button, let sit for about 10 minutes before plugging everything back in and usually on about the 4th attempt of going through this procedure I get my connection back. Tech support was here two weeks ago and was to have replaced my cable modem but instead the tech only checked outside wiring and stated some of the other TW customers had loose connections and caused my connection to "bleed." Connection lasted about a week and the problems started again. Have another tech call in on August 2. Before TW was able to send someone within a couple of days, now it is taking two weeks. Don't think I will be putting up with this type of service much longer.

Comments:

Review by outtherenost See Profile

• Location: Corona,Riverside,CA
Good "322/22 - No CAPS, reasonable company to deal with, 10+ yr customer"
Bad "Nothing to max downstream bandwidth with, maxxing 100mbs was tough enough"
Overall "I like TWC and for a big company that is a major achievement."

7/6/14:

Maxx Upgraded for a while now, everything is still as it should be.

TWC network must be pretty beefie, I have seen no negative changes since they started rolling this out.

May be downgrading soon, wish I had not sold my 5431J

7/10/09:

Still working good, very few issues as of late. Hopefully a speed bump is coming with all the latest FioS upgrades going on, but 15/2 is perfect for my needs for now.

Updated: 8/28/08

Still running strong. I am one of the fortunate ones that only has a few people on their node and get the advertised speeds day and night. The only time it's slow is when there a regional issues which I have been lucky to not have been effected by that much.

Until something better comes along or they start capping/throttling I'll be staying

Keep up the good work TWC

-------------------------------------------------

Talking to TWC about TV packages I discovered that RR Extreme is 15/2 is my area of Corona because FiOS is in the same zip code, I have ATT however. By being nice I was able to get the CS person to match my ATT Elite DSL price for a year so I could see just what all the fuss was about with this "cable modem thingy" that my friends had told me about.

So far it's very nice, nothing seems blocked and speed does not seems to vary day or night.

trash
--------------------------------------------

member for 13.1 years, 4380 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by djrobx See Profile

• Location: Valencia,Los Angeles,CA
Good "MAXX Speed, no installation hassles, no contracts, no caps, 2 day wait install"
Bad "None ... !"
Overall "Crazy fast. Faster speeds than what AT&T offers"

·VOIPO
7/2/2014

Alright, you got me Time Warner. When BBR posted a story about "Time Warner Maxx", it was right in the middle of the Charter negotiations, and I just assumed this was some BS press release from TWC trying to make themselves look good, and that they had no intention to follow up on it. They'd have to actually buy us new equipment for that, surely they wouldn't bother. Or maybe they would, but to really select areas.

After all, LA and NYC just got 100mbps. For those of us in AT&T territory, that in itself was pretty impressive.

Then we start hearing about the first markets to get Maxx. Real speed tests showing over 300mbps in SoCal. Nice! But would they really take this to the outskirts of the LA market, where the best you can do is 45mbps from AT&T U-verse? The answer appears to also be yes. I was a little floored to see Valencia so early on the rollout list, but here it is, today I have these amazing speeds.

The process of getting the replacement modem was surprisingly easy. Most people on the forum went to pick it up from the local TWC store with varying results. TWC notified me by email that the new speeds were available and to just click a link to have a new modem shipped to me. They fedexed it to me and it arrived 2 days later, with a pre-paid shipping label to return my old modem. The online activation process had issues, but was corrected with a quick, automated call to their activation hotline.

It's also worth noting that they enabled 16 channel downstream bonding and 4 channel upstream bonding just last week. I'm stunned that they went from plant upgrades to customer activations in such a short period of time!

The first speed test came back at 319/21. Whee!

TWC FINALLY does something edgy and impressive, but it's on their way out the door if Comcast successfully acquires them. Going out with a bang? Maybe we'll get really lucky and the merger will be blocked. In the meantime, I'll enjoy my new connection. Thanks TWC!

11/24/2013

BBR is nagging me to update my review. TWC just upgraded me to 100/5 service, so it's probably as good a time as any to do it.

The good:

My 50/5 service has been excellent and stable over the last two years. I work from home, and have been able to depend on this connection around the clock. I have not noticed peak-hour slowdowns; TWC seems to be doing a good job of keeping up with demand. TWC has pushed out updates to the SBG6580 that have resolved the issues I noted previously. A few months back they also released a ~10% speed boost, which helps ensure you get better-than-advertised speeds. All in, I'm seeing fairly consistent 113/5.5 speed tests, which is great. I've nudged up the reliability and value scores to reflect these experiences and updates. I'm also happy that TWC has continued to offer "unlimited" access.

The bad:

The downstream upgrade highlights that the upload speeds are in need of improvement. I'm afraid upload upgrades aren't in our near future. LA is still sitting without DOCSIS 3 upstream channel bonding enabled. TWC could also do a better job of communicating upgrades to customers. They sent me an email telling me I was upgraded to 100mbps, and to reboot my modem, but the actual upgrade didn't occur for a couple days. Tech support was not prepared for this email, and seemingly didn't know what to tell people to expect. Users in the TWC forum got a wide variety of answers, as if they were making stuff up.

These are definitely "first world problems" as some would put it. I'm very happy overall.

2/2/2012

I've had the service for a week now. Some issues:

1) The SBG6580 seems like a good device on the surface, but it's a terrible router. It seems to have a memory leak which causes speeds to gradually decline. In my case this would degrade my 50mbps service to no more than 30mbps after 48 hours. Speeds would resume after rebooting the modem. I had to dig out an old Buffalo router with DD-WRT to stop this from happening. I can't believe Motorola would put out such a buggy product, but at least there's a workaround.

2) When not inhibited by the modem, my speeds have been terrific. However, I've noticed the LA area suffers from increased pings (adding an additional 25ms of latency to all hosts) during peak hours (between 7-11). Looking at the RR_SOCAL DSLReports line monitors, this issue affects the majority of us in the LA territory. Gamers, stay away for now.

1/24/2012

Back in 2008 I left Road Runner for U-Verse Internet. Since then, U-verse has always had slightly faster speeds than Time Warner so I stuck with it.

Time Warner has been slow to roll out Docsis 3. But now that it's here, they seem to have a fairly unified strategy for their customers, which is good to see. For a long while, we had different speed tiers by zip code, with higher speeds in FiOS and FiOS adjacent neighborhoods.

Top speeds come at a big price tag. 50/5 for $99, unbundled. That's down from $109 a few months back. At this price point, I'd like to see higher uploads. I was also offered 30/5 for $59, which is much better bang for the buck, but I can't resist having the best.

I ordered via the web to get the free install. The next available appointment was over a week away. So after finishing the order I called to see if there were any earlier slots available. The first person I spoke with really botched things up. She said there was a $60 "wireless install charge" (huh?), and to avoid that changed my order to a standard 10/1 install and said I could upgrade later. Ugh. I called back and spoke to someone else who confirmed the mess she made, but said he couldn't give me the free install promo as it was a web only deal and she had invalidated that. He said the best bet was to delete the order and start over online. So I did. I called back Monday and this rep was able to change the date to the very next morning without any trouble at all. The whole process might not have been too big a deal if the automated phone system didn't insist that I was an out-of-state caller, and didn't keep dropping the call when trying to connect me to an agent.

The appointment was from 8-12. The tech arrived at 8:30. I think he was a little new, but he was polite and got the job done.

Speed tests have been bang on 51/5 every time. Pretty impressive. GrabIt was peaking around 6000KB/sec from EasyNews. Seems like it wasn't long ago when 600KB/sec was crazy fast. Road Runner has come a long way from the 1.5mbps service it started at here!

6/28/2008

No problems at all with this service. Time Warner decided to pull the newsgroup server. I completely understand why and accept that. However, it kept me from even considering other providers. Now what?

A news story in the Los Angeles Times a few months back lamented about the lack of HD channels on Time Warner. Time Warner promised to deliver 14 new channels by July 1. July came and now they're saying "Not until October." for my area.

Meanwhile, I'm looking at AT&T U-verse. They're going to pony up $200 cash back plus a free $75 month worth of TV. No contract. They also got Sci Fi HD and USA HD, two channels I've been wanting that TW has no plans to add (they're not even in the 14 that are supposedly coming). With AT&T practically willing to pay me to try their service out, why should I keep TW? I couldn't come up with a good answer. But to get TV you have to bundle internet, and that means giving up my Road Runner connection.

Road Runner has been 100% rock solid and reliable over the past year. I've really loved it. U-verse is technically a bit faster (10/1.5 vs. 10/1), although U-verse's internet has actually been slower than RR during peak hours. Rumors point to a 15/2 upgrade for Road runner eventually. Maybe when that comes I'll re-evaluate all this again.

1/23/2008

Gosh, has it been 6 months already? There's not much to report here. No news is good news. My connection has been flawless. I'm kind of hoping they'll bump us up to 15/2 at some point (perhaps in response to U-verse upgrades to 10/1.5) but my 10/1 connection is rocking for now. The included newsgroup server has slowed down quite a bit since I signed up, but it's still much better than what's offered by most other providers.

5/22/2007

Two week update. I have been thoroughly pleased with my decision to switch to Road Runner. The 10/1 speeds work flawlessly and my line monitor on BBR shows a solid, steady connection.

I almost forgot about the newsgroup server Road Runner has, but wow - the Los Angeles server is awesome! DSLExtreme offered 64KB/sec limited access to supernews. I can often pull the full 10 megabits from Road Runner's news server, and the retention seems to be at least as good as Easynews. Geez.

5/07/2007

This is not my first go at Road Runner, but it is my first experience with Time Warner Cable. Our cable system has been sold several times since I moved here in 98. I first signed up with MediaOne Road Runner in 2001. We were then sold to AT&T @Home, then to Comcast HSI, and now we've come full circle back to Time Warner Road Runner!

I've been using DSLExtreme for the last several years. Thanks to a nearby remote terminal, AT&T paired with DSLExtreme had been giving me great service and static IP through DSL. But AT&T is in the process of rolling out even newer service, and DSLExtreme wants *more* money per month with another 12 month commitment! I don't want to be stuck in another higher-priced contract with them when new options become available.

Looking over cable's offerings, I found out that Time Warner had increased the speeds to 10000/1000. Okay, so that's Optimum Online in 2001, but for Los Angeles, that's a record breaker. My very fist speed test: 9838/982. Yeah baby!

That's almost double what I was getting from DSLExtreme's premium offering. Great download speed AND upload speed. For less money than I was spending with DSLExtreme. As I type this review, I have a download going that's been at a rock solid 1.16MB/sec. If they can keep it running reasonably reliable, I'll stick with it! And if it ends up sucking, DSL is just a phone call away. No contracts is such a nice thing.

The only negative is what I expected, calling them is a pain in the butt. Tuns out I didn't need to bother. I just went down to the cable office, picked up the modem there and did a self install. It was so painless. I was up in minutes.

member for 14.1 years, 6929 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by LexingtonPro See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "Reliable speeds; delivered on their promises"
Bad "Functional monopoly; must bundle service"
Overall "Best we can do"

Upgraded to 30/5 today. Impressive throughput. Technician very thorough and solictious.

A marked improvment from Windstream fiber service.

A reasonable amount to pay if I didn't have to essentially have cable TV to get this price.

member for 1 year, 32 visits, last login: 2 days ago

Comments:

Review by ArgMeMatey See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Install time and process"
Bad "Leftover billing problems, modem fee"
Overall "Better price than the other half of the duopoly"

·AT&T Midwest
I ordered 10 Mbps online on a Thursday afternoon. $29.99 per month plus taxes, guaranteed rate for 12 months. Free cable modem for six months, $2.50 per month thereafter.

I was sweating a bit because the install date they proposed was just one day before my AT&T service was to be shut off.

Got an e-mail quickly saying to call them. Called them and found out there was a billing issue left over from my previous account with them, despite the fact that they sent me no less than three e-mails saying I owed them $0.00.

Got that squared away on Friday afternoon and they scheduled me for installation on Saturday morning, the next day. The installers arrived during the stated window and we were up and running in less than one hour. In my book, that's just this side of heavenly, although back when I had standard cable I was able to go to the Time Warner storefront, pick up a cable modem, and be online in less than an hour. The cable modem is a Cisco DPC2100R2. I like its simplicity vs. all the garbage in the 2Wire that AT&T provided for VDSL. I ran a couple of speed tests and both were about 9.6 Mbps.

Now I heard their new McAfee deal requires a separate RR e-mail address for each client. That seems a bit silly.

I'll update after I start using the service. Right now it's just sitting idle until AT&T UVerse goes dead in a couple of days.

Update 19 Nov 2012:
Running pretty well. Speed consistently tests at 12 Mbps. McAfee works fine; no separate e-mail required as I had been told.

I bought my own DPC2100r2 the month after the billing started, and it took about an hour to get it online on the phone. It would be nice if they would allow me to authenticate online and then enter the MAC address of whatever modem I want to use. But I know they need to download a file to the modem to control it.

Haven't had any billing issues otherwise. I've got another six months at this price so we'll see what happens at that point.

Update 27 Jun 2014:
During a neighborhood power outage on 27 Aug 2013 lasting less than two hours, there was no Time Warner service whatsoever. But the AT&T VRAD down the street was humming along on battery power.

For the period March 2014 through February 2015, I was able to renew again at about the same rate I had in year two: $35 plus tax. Still using the same modem although it's been delisted. Testing reveals that my speeds average just over 15 Mbps.

member for 12.9 years, 4300 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ipwn3r456 See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Full speeds almost all the time, pricing isn't that bad."
Bad "TWO billing mistakes, with occasional connectivity issues."
Overall "Well, it connects to the internet. But I still wish for competition."

I am using their Standard tier internet (originally 10/1, later upgraded to 15/1, and now the 10% provisioning is more of 16.3/1.1), originally paying $29.99. But since my promotion ends in one year, they continued to give me an another promotion, but pricing increased to $36.99 (without taxes, modem fees, etc.), I am fine with that... for now.

I ordered internet online, and process is pretty smooth. Although the technician came in a few minutes late(I think the appointment was around 10am-12pm, the technician came around 12:05pm). First he checked the cables outside, and drilled a hole so the cable can go through. He installed an Ambit modem (forgot the model number), which now I am using my own modem, Motorola SB6141. Everything went smooth, until when the technician was about to leave, my neighbor came out and told the technician that he disconnected his TV cable. The technician quickly installed a splitter, and no problems.

Overall I am fine with my internet speeds, no outages, no slow-downs (almost all the time), and I am pretty fine with it. Although I want competition. Besides TWC, only AT&T serves in our area as well. But they are only offering up to 1.5mbps DSL, which is completely irreverent in terms of speeds and pricing. I would want AT&T to have Uverse coverage in our area, not because I want to switch back, it's because I want competition in case if TWC soars up prices on me.

Update 12/4/13 - Time Warner keep charging me for modem rental, even though I have been using my SB6141 for more than a month. The lady over the live chat was nice enough to remove the fee. So I guess another problem solved. But seriously Time Warner, fix your billing systems. It looks like the billing system is more "profit" wise than accuracy. This is already the second mistake Time Warner did. The first time was charging me for installation fee even though it was free. And I am dropping the pre-sales 25% lower because of that.

Update 12/16/13 - During the past few days, my internet connection was pretty terrible. I am getting over 200ms+ ping, and also packet loss. Speed was also dramatically decreased, making it a terrible browsing experience. Because of that, I am dropping connection reliability 25% lower.

Update 4/9/14 - Everything is still fine, getting full speeds almost all the time, maybe with the exception of peak times. I will have to see about pricing changes after my 2nd year promotion (which ends in august), plus the upcoming MAXX upgrades (if it ever happens in my area).

Update 6/16/14 - Connection problems are getting worse lately. I don't know what is going on, but I am getting packet losses/high ping issues, sometimes few times a week, sometimes as worse as few times a day... can't even play any online games with my connection. For this, I am taking off another 25% from connection reliability. Might have to contact TWC about this if this keeps happening. No TWC MAXX upgrades yet, still sticking with 8 download channels and 1 upload channel.

member for 361 days, 443 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
mbreyer

join:2013-11-14

Los Angeles, CA

Re: .

said by mbreyer:

sir that is the competition. they just aren't competing very well

Yep, typical monopoly in the telecommunications. And the politicians just doesn't give a damn about it.

FreeBSDuser

join:2013-05-15
Somers, NY

Alternatives

Looking at your address, you may be able to get Sonic.net, DSL Extreme (resold Sonic.net), Webpass, and Earthlink Cable (resold TWC).
ipwn3r456

join:2013-07-31
Los Angeles, CA

Re: Alternatives

said by FreeBSDuser:

I do know that sonic.net is available in my area, but I live 10000 feet away from the CO... I don't think I can get fast speeds from that range.

Review by larry1956 See Profile

• Location: Urbana,Champaign,OH
Good "Excellent Performance"
Bad "Price"
Overall "Best service for this area."

Just had their Intelligent Home service installed. In addition to the broadband, VOIP, and cable TV, Intelligent Home offers security for your home like ADT and other home remote management for lighting and other appliances. During the installation process, the technician changed out my broadband modem with an ARRIS TG862GD2 modem. This modem supports broadband, voip, cable tv, and WiFi. Also ithas a 4 port switch. My internet speed boosted from about 15Mbps to about 22Mbps download and from about 1Mbps to 1.9Mbps upload. I am happy with the increased performance and even though this is somewhat pricey, what makes it a deal is that there is no data caps. If and when Comcast takes over, and this is a warning, do not institute data caps!!! If that ever happens, I'd rather go back to old dial up then pay penalty fees for worrying about exceeding data caps.

Comments:
tasmithe

join:2002-09-16
Graham, NC

Huh?

Isn't Urbana-Champaign in IL?
Brucefire

join:2000-08-30
Reynoldsburg, OH

Re: Huh?

It's north of Springfield Ohio and west of Columbus.

Review by wilsoda See Profile

• Location: Northfield,Summit,OH
Good "Getting consistent speeds over max rate"
Bad "Weak tier 1 technical support"
Overall "Working as advertised"

Install went very smoothly other than a coordination issue. I never received a confirmation of when the installer would arrive after I ordered online. I used the online chat the night the rep was quickly able to tell me when installer would be there. Speeds, latency and phone service have been flawless for the first week.

Update.

Upgraded to extreme 50/5 in December 2013. Speeds are great. Annoyingly TWC doesn't seem to have any monitoring system for area outages beyond counting the number of tickets called in. Have had 5 outages in 7 months that I have called to report. In all but one case the rep stated there is no outage and will have to setup an appointment for a tech to come to the house in a few days. This is despite me sharing that friends in the area are also having the problem or pointing out the problem must be upstream of my drop since signal levels look good/modem online/no errors/can ping several hops up the route fine.... The next day things magically start working again and on some occasions I get an automated call saying outage in my area has been resolved. Of course the automated message doesn't tie the outage to my ticket/appointment I have so now I have to call TWC to cancel the appointment.

Comments:

Review by ritzy57 See Profile

• Location: Fort Mill,York,SC
Good "Here in a timely manner, could get internet, cable and voip in a package"
Bad "INstillation is messy. I think it was the installer's first time installing."
Overall "So far, happy with Time Warner"

Eight months ago, Time Warner was offering a package deal for $89.95, plus taxes. But I wanted to have a combination modem/router. For that, I needed to upgrade to their extreme internet package, offering 50MG download speed. They supplied a UBEE modem/router, which routes cable TV, cable internet, and voip. With the various surcharges and taxes, we are paying 130.00, which is less than we were paying in Fort Mill.

The install process seemed like a learning process for the installer. We live in apt complex, and he was telling me that he could not put cable in our back bedroom, because he couldn't put any holes in the walls. So I showed him that he could run the line over a doorway, and into the bedroom. Where he actually came off the current cable outlet, he has splitters sticking out in two rooms, and it looks awful. But the man was very nice, and polite, so I didn't make an issue of it.

As far as advertised service, we are very happy with the phone, the cable TV, and the internet. The modem/router is also Wi-Fi certified, and company has been able to use all their Wi-Fi components.

We're happy!

June 3, 2014.

Well, for a couple of weeks, we have been having trouble with our VOIP. Calls were cutting in and out. Called Time Warner, and ended up bringing the Router/Modem we rent from them, to the office, and they switched it out for an ARRIS TG862. Hooked up everything, and the phone is working perfectly. BUT!! the internet on MY computer is now cutting in and out!! Called them back, and today a TECH came by. He determined it was the NIC in my computer, that is probably bad. (computer is a 2 yr. old desktop). He installed a TP-LINK 300Mbpos mini Wireless N USB Adapter, making my computer wireless!! Love it!! Speed is great, and I am back up and running! Much thanks to that nice Time Warner man who came to our aid!