Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by ncted See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Generally good speed, once connection is initiated. Reliable."
Bad "While ping tests show low-latency, first-byte times are lower than expected."
Overall "Fine if you don't mind the price and there isn't anything better to have instead."

·Frontier Communi..
I've had Time Warner Cable Internet on and off since 2000 when it was called Road Runner and I was a beta tester in my area. I have had good and bad experiences over the years. For the past several years, the service has been very reliable and speedy with few exceptions. Most recently I have had the Extreme level of service which is 30/5. I was paying $55/month for this, but the promotional rate is expiring, and the best deal they are offering now is Turbo (20/2) at $65/month for 12 months, but only if I also order phone service for "free." Well, I don't want phone service, so that isn't very attractive to me no matter how you cut it.

In the past month or 2, streaming has become noticeably more variable with respect to picture quality. I can tell that Netflix and Amazon Prime are having to switch bitrates frequently while watching shows in the evenings, but not early in the mornings. I am using a gigabit ethernet network in my house, so I suspect the problem is upstream somewhere.

TWC is an ok choice overall, but I expect their prices to continue to increase due to loss of revenue from their other business lines, which are suffering due to really bad products.

UPDATE 11/24/2014

I cancelled today. Still no promotion available worth staying.

member for 4 years, 602 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ipwn3r456 See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Full speeds almost all the time, pricing isn't that bad."
Bad "TWO billing mistakes, with occasional connectivity issues."
Overall "Well, it connects to the internet. But I still wish for competition."

I am using their Standard tier internet (originally 10/1, later upgraded to 15/1, and now the 10% provisioning is more of 16.3/1.1), originally paying $29.99. But since my promotion ends in one year, they continued to give me an another promotion, but pricing increased to $36.99 (without taxes, modem fees, etc.), I am fine with that... for now.

I ordered internet online, and process is pretty smooth. Although the technician came in a few minutes late(I think the appointment was around 10am-12pm, the technician came around 12:05pm). First he checked the cables outside, and drilled a hole so the cable can go through. He installed an Ambit modem (forgot the model number), which now I am using my own modem, Motorola SB6141. Everything went smooth, until when the technician was about to leave, my neighbor came out and told the technician that he disconnected his TV cable. The technician quickly installed a splitter, and no problems.

Overall I am fine with my internet speeds, no outages, no slow-downs (almost all the time), and I am pretty fine with it. Although I want competition. Besides TWC, only AT&T serves in our area as well. But they are only offering up to 1.5mbps DSL, which is completely irreverent in terms of speeds and pricing. I would want AT&T to have Uverse coverage in our area, not because I want to switch back, it's because I want competition in case if TWC soars up prices on me.

Update 12/4/13 - Time Warner keep charging me for modem rental, even though I have been using my SB6141 for more than a month. The lady over the live chat was nice enough to remove the fee. So I guess another problem solved. But seriously Time Warner, fix your billing systems. It looks like the billing system is more "profit" wise than accuracy. This is already the second mistake Time Warner did. The first time was charging me for installation fee even though it was free. And I am dropping the pre-sales 25% lower because of that.

Update 12/16/13 - During the past few days, my internet connection was pretty terrible. I am getting over 200ms+ ping, and also packet loss. Speed was also dramatically decreased, making it a terrible browsing experience. Because of that, I am dropping connection reliability 25% lower.

Update 4/9/14 - Everything is still fine, getting full speeds almost all the time, maybe with the exception of peak times. I will have to see about pricing changes after my 2nd year promotion (which ends in august), plus the upcoming MAXX upgrades (if it ever happens in my area).

Update 6/16/14 - Connection problems are getting worse lately. I don't know what is going on, but I am getting packet losses/high ping issues, sometimes few times a week, sometimes as worse as few times a day... can't even play any online games with my connection. For this, I am taking off another 25% from connection reliability. Might have to contact TWC about this if this keeps happening. No TWC MAXX upgrades yet, still sticking with 8 download channels and 1 upload channel.

Update 7/31/14 - Just upgraded to Turbo as a part of negotiation, since they are going to charge me $50 for standard, so I called their retention department and the promotional price for turbo is all they can offer me. I said yes, and saved $5 a month, for now. I should be more aggressive next time when I am negotiating with TWC. No TWC MAXX upgrades yet, but we will see how it goes later this year.

Update 11/13/14 - After month and months of desperation, TWC MAXX has finally arrived to my area, and at the same time, they announced the completion of TWC MAXX upgrades in New York and Los Angeles. I am getting 69/11 for now, because my router isn't gigabit capable. Connection reliability has gotten better now, I will raise 25% for connection reliability. I will update once I get my new router.

member for 1.3 years, 610 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
mbreyer

join:2013-11-14

Los Angeles, CA

Re: .

said by mbreyer:

sir that is the competition. they just aren't competing very well

Yep, typical monopoly in the telecommunications. And the politicians just doesn't give a damn about it.

FreeBSDuser

join:2013-05-15
Somers, NY

Alternatives

Looking at your address, you may be able to get Sonic.net, DSL Extreme (resold Sonic.net), Webpass, and Earthlink Cable (resold TWC).
ipwn3r456

join:2013-07-31
Los Angeles, CA

Re: Alternatives

said by FreeBSDuser:

I do know that sonic.net is available in my area, but I live 10000 feet away from the CO... I don't think I can get fast speeds from that range.

Review by silverforte See Profile

• Location: Kannapolis,Cabarrus,NC
Good "When it works, it works okay."
Bad "It doesn't work often"
Overall "US will never have functional internet"

The US has never had decent internet services compared to the rest of the world. Places like Korea or Japan where decent internet is offered at REASONABLE prices, and it actually WORKS. I had to deal with Windstream's bullshit for years. Dozens of phone calls, usually lasting an hour or more at a time, techs with attitudes coming over and telling me there was nothing wrong with the line despite actual proof I had that there was packet loss and dealing with people on this website who refused to believe there was any packet loss in my network despite hours upon hours I spent producing results in the form of smokepings, tracerts, pathpings, screenshots of game latency meters and more. Eventually, they took remote control of a neighbor to fix a problem they had and noticed the packet loss for themselves, then admitted to me that it was an issue and still did not fix it. Now, I switch to Time Warner internet. 12 down, 1 up. Does it work?

No. I can just barely buffer the first 60 seconds of a youtube video and, sometimes, nothing at all. Not even Google. It spikes, it goes out just enough that it seems like I'm getting a trickle of bandwidth but it isn't 100% off. So, I go from this nightmare with Windstream to the same thing with Time Warner. I even bought a router recently so I could better monitor the traffic in the line and put better security on it as I try my best to track the issue down since the fucking companies can't do it. And then what happens? I get told by people on this website that I will be receiving a call from a tech at TW who would relay information about the checks they supposedly did on my line. The guy calls, BARELY speaks English and tells me there is nothing wrong with my line about 15 times as if he was reading a script.

I have proof in front of me from multiple sources that there are nodes on my network that have latency issues and dropped packets repeatedly, not just once or twice. Almost every time I ping a network, packets are dropped. I'm getting NOWHERE with this company! It seems like no matter what you get, in the US, you're going to have problems! The issues are across the board with these ISPs. People who say they don't have problems are just not aware of them. Perhaps they don't know enough about the systems to realize there is an issue, perhaps they don't use the internet hard enough or often enough to really test the system and bring the issues out to the surface, but they are there. This merger just makes this situation worse. This country needs to get its act together! You ISPs can only milk people for so long! When the tides turn, you'll be left high and dry if you don't get in shape!

(Adding updates exactly as I posted them in the replies here except for a few edits)

Update 1:

Here's an update. I'm still dealing with these issues. It's Wednesday Nov 19. Nearing the end of 2014 and STILL not with stable internet. I've seen at least a dozen techs and had my modem switched out, found out that I wasn't even supposed to have the service enabled to allow me to use the ports on the back of my modem for anything other than the router, so I had to stop doing that when they found out even though I was told it was okay originally.

Packet loss, jitter, all the usual stuff still on my line. Had numerous different techs on dslreports attend my ticket and that bothers me because it seems less helpful to have 3-4 different individuals rotate my case instead of one person who can learn the ins and outs of it. After 3 different claims I'd receive a call back over a month's time, I finally got one yesterday and I was told (first time anyone over at TWC has admitted this) that my tracert results were showing a real problem. Nobody has ever said that, they always say this:

"Well, from what I see your line is clean. No problems with the modem signal."

Which leads to nothing getting done to solve my problem. Someone admitted it was bad yesterday. Holy s**t. I have an engineer (okay, right) coming out tomorrow to check for issues. Last night my packet loss was bad enough that I could not stay connected to anything, not even sites. No hulu, no netflix, no games, no sites, no email, nothing. I tried to open a discussion about the state of the US internet on these forums to regular users and found nothing but arguments that my tracerts showed no problems. Okay, I know THIS is a problem:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms ********

7 15 ms 19 ms 15 ms 107.14.19.99

8 40 ms * 32 ms 66.109.10.62

9 16 ms 17 ms 24 ms as13335.xe-7-0-7.ar1.atl1.us.as4436.gtt.net [69.31.135.118]

10 18 ms 21 ms 36 ms 141.101.114.119

They're all like this. Or down the line near hops 5-8 I'll see the same result as hop 2. HUGE spikes in latency and dropped packets. I've never sent a tracert and not had a minimum of three dropped packets. I get 5% packet loss almost every time I use pingtest.net.

I don't know why this keeps happening. I had this same problem with Windstream at this address and now Time Warner can't fix it, or can't care. I am so done with this country. Everything I order, buy or setup in the US has been faulty. My PC hardware, my internet services, my gaming consoles. Everything in this country is broken and if I had the means I'd leave in a heart beat.

Update 2:

Update: 1:00 PM EST Thursday nov 20 2014.

After being told a tech (actually, I was told a high grade ENGINEER familiar with tracerts and the like) would come out and trying to wait patiently, my internet has gotten a bit better. It's stable and I see no packet loss but this is usually how it is earlier in the day. It's after 2-3 I start seeing problems. Got a call at 1 by TWC and told the engineer scheduled to visit me and fix the issues, then explain them to me, was canceled. No explanation as to why, no answers as to what was going on. Just told that. I was not the one who answered the phone so I could not get the person to explain what the hell was going on.

Now, my tech has been canceled, my internet is OKAY, still seeing jitter and higher than normal latencies.... What the hell do I do? I can't get a solid answer out of TWC and they cancel techs that are supposed to help me then lie and tell us the problem was solved when it hasn't been. Yeah, my internet is better but but it's not 100% and I still don't have any answers. I'm in the dark.

Another update:

After sending a reply to the private help thread I have here on this issue about the canceled tech and me not having an answer, one of the reps here sent me a reply back. This is what happened in order all today.

1) Sent confused reply asking for an answer as to why the engineer was not sent to my home today.

2) Get reply back promptly from employee at DSLreports apologizing and stating they will fix the situation soon.

3) A few minutes later I get a call from 'TWC' as read on my caller ID from an indian man whom I cannot understand stating I will receive 'help at my place' over and over until he just hangs up.

4) Man shows up with that handheld device they use to check the modem speeds. Nice guy, not his fault at all that this is going on. He says he is just one of the guys that hooks up the line.

5) He says he received a call about my issue and says that he was told by the uppers not to show up because the issue was a neighborhood one that was resolved and he was not given specifics. He says they wouldn't lie to him about issues and they're not BSing me.

6) I start talking about tracerts and ask if hop 2 would be the modem or the street box outside my house. He says he has no idea what a hop is because he isn't tech savvy. Now, I don't blame him. He was an alright guy and just doing his job. But I was told an ENGINEER capable of helping me with these high grade problems was going to come out and he would be educated on my case file and all my tracert results.

This man did not know what a tracert was.

My problem is not solved 100%. I am back to a tolerable level with my internet. It's usable, not fixed. I am going to drop this issue. TWC, you've beaten me. I give up. I have too much going on in my personal life to devote so much time and energy to this frustrating problem like I did with Windstream. I, the small guy, have been beaten.

Comments:
silverforte

Techs

I forgot to mention that the techs were extraordinarily rude and did not want to rip up the old lines from 5+ years ago and install new ones until we insisted. Then, the line is basically just sticking out of a hole in the wall about 2 ft off the ground, the disc that prevents air from getting through the hole around the wire is falling off and both the boxes outside the house were left wide open.

I was on the microphone over Xbox live with a friend in the same state as me about an hour away who also has TWC. He has packet loss as well. Both of us lost connection to the internet the other day at the same time and it came back. It has been happening repeatedly. It's not just me!

Re: Techs

Not all the US has total crap for internet. When I was on Time warner cable I thought that the internet must still be a beta product it was so bad. Century link also was total crap.

Comcast how ever does work and gives speeds at lest some what fitting for 2014. You can read my own reviews if you want.

Re: Techs

US is 10th in world ranking for internet reliability. Your one experience doesn't change the facts. Every single person I know has terrible internet problems. People I know in different states, people on different coasts. It doesn't matter if 'not all' of the US has bad internet. Enough of it does that it's a problem.

said by silverforte:

I never disagreed that the US has an internet problem. In fact I was trying to agree that the USA needs to get it's crap together.

Time warner cable doesn't care how high your packet loss is they won't fix it and century link well if it works at all then you hit the jack pot. Or if your only getting 1/10 of the upto speed, but hey you can "upgrade" to the next highest tier for $5 less for your "trouble".

Comcast is guilty of overselling there network to the point I only get 1/3 of the upto speed at any given time day or night.

I had a tech from TWC who didn't want to replace the cable out side the home that had split in half.

Trust me when I say I know the US has a real internet issue that needs to be fixed. Most of the US feels like they are still beta testing the internet in 2014 and that is just beyond reason at this point in the modern world.

Re: Techs

I'm actually barely able to get online at this point. I think the packet loss has subsided but now my modem resets itself randomly about 10 times a day, my phone doesn't work randomly and our TV channels sometimes don't come in or are distorted. A field tech replaced my modem, took the battery out of the new one and left without checking the box across the road. Nothing was fixed.

said by silverforte:

That sounds likely due to packet loss, good luck getting the time warner cable mob of NC to fix it. I know how much they suck due to living with TWC's crap for over 10 years.

I would get 404 more than %50 of the time even when TWC said "its working fine". Some web pages after trying to stay on to long like google thought I was DOS attacking them and lock me out for a few hours by IP address.

The issue is even worse here in NC than in other places like NYC or LA. They treat towns with no choice like dirt and the techs for the most part simply just do not give a dump. One tech even told me "It's not like you have a choice, be glad you get internet at all".
For those who chose there own fears over liberty will only dig them self's deeper into the pit of darkness. For those who chose to blame tools over each other for wrong doing, it will only lead to madness. -Unknown

Re: Techs

Dead on. NC is a terrible state for internet. I've moved 3 times since I got back in NC in 2008. All three residents, I went between Windstream and timewarner trying to get functional internet. Not one fucking time in my life since 2008 have I been able to accomplish that. The techs never know what to do, they get rude if you present them with a situation that they are not capable of dealing with and nothing ever gets done. Can you imagine how much time and money they could save themselves if they just fixed the issues the first time? If they actually put more effort into checking the lines and diagnosing problems?

Re: Techs

Update, October 16 2014, still having problems.

Constantly high latency, major packet loss, the works. Getting sent to 'engineers' on my case file, not sure that means anything more than that they are sending an email to local techs to come do nothing useful except pretend to be checking my line with a handheld tool that doesn't show anything I'm experiencing. I'm certain they'll replace the modem and downgrade me back to that shitty non-router type arris.

»i10.photobucket.com/albums/a146/···9cb6.png

This is how it is for me now.

For whatever reason, the packet loss isn't always displayed.

»i10.photobucket.com/albums/a146/···original

15% packet loss:
»i10.photobucket.com/albums/a146/···436c.png

I'm very close to leaving TWC and so are the people in my social circle.

said by silverforte:

Update, October 16 2014, still having problems.

»i10.photobucket.com/albums/a146/···9cb6.png

This is how it is for me now.

For whatever reason, the packet loss isn't always displayed.

»i10.photobucket.com/albums/a146/···original

15% packet loss:
»i10.photobucket.com/albums/a146/···436c.png

I'm very close to leaving TWC and so are the people in my social circle.

When I left in Jan of 2014 they had closed down the local office and it was a 3 hour wait in line to get rid of service at the next "nearest" office. Phone support may tell you they can't do it and that you must do to there local office. If you do that, be ready for a long wait.

Bring a camera with you loaded with a big SD card to record the wait if it's anything like mine was. Maybe then you could be on the news for longest wait to dump service ever.

If you chose to stay, then test as many PC's on hardwire to the modem as you can get your hands on.

For your packet loss, mine was so bad that often packet loss test would break/fail in the middle and couldn't even give me a percent back. DSL reports own tester couldn't ping me when I had this issue as well as many other sites.

The only thing I think you can do at this point is file a complaint to the BBB. There are no laws that protect customers against an ISP who sells an up to service with no uptime requirements nor any packet loss requirements. You could give them all the data on earth and still if they didn't fix it you have no legal recourse against them other than to leave.

I hope that what ever happens you end up with a stable connection.

Re: Techs

"Well, from what I see your line is clean. No problems with the modem signal."

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms ********
8 40 ms * 32 ms 66.109.10.62
9 16 ms 17 ms 24 ms as13335.xe-7-0-7.ar1.atl1.us.as4436.gtt.net [69.31.135.118]
10 18 ms 21 ms 36 ms 141.101.114.119

Re: Techs

Update: 1:00 PM EST Thursday nov 20 2014.

After being told a tech would come out and trying to wait patiently, my internet has gotten a bit better. It's stable and I see no packet loss but this is usually how it is earlier in the day. It's after 2-3 I start seeing problems. Got a call at 1 by TWC and told the engineer scheduled to visit me and fix the issues, then explain them to me, was canceled. No explanation as to why, to answers as to what was going on. Just told that. I was not the one who answered the phone so I could not get the person to explain what the hell was going on to me.

Another update:

This man did not know what a tracert was.

kpatt2006

join:2012-08-14
Greensburg, KY
·Windstream

Re: Techs

I've been battling Windstream in KY since November 2011 when I first started noticing they greatly oversold their service in this area. It's only gotten worse since then and now the internet is only usable after 2 am. Been looking at moving to Lexington soon, but guess what, Time Warner and Windstream the two major players in Lexington. Our country is a joke when it comes to technology and information highway. »www.speedtest.net/result/3933023219.png

Review by ke4pym See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "It just works!"
Bad "Price is a bit high."
Overall "We still need competition"

11/2014 - Service is still great. Nothing major to report.

-----

10/13 - Service is running fine. No issues. SamKnows agrees.

------

12/11 - Only one thing to say - "solid service". Connection stays on, stays fast (as validated by SamKnows).

-------

1/11 - Got wide band stand alone back in November. Subscribed to the 30/5 package. Was told that it would be "exactly $20 more than I was paying today". Well, I was on a special for RR Turbo at $39.99mo. I asked about that and was told that was true.

First bill came in super high. Had 3 or 4 install charges, and something like $80/mo for the service. Called up. Long story short, I never agreed to the install charges (in the 14 years I've been a TWC customer, I have NEVER, EVER paid an install charge). They removed the charges and fixed me up to get the service for $59.99/mo. They went and replayed my call to get verification of those details. Works for me. Service is reliable even though there have been a couple of hiccups.

10/20/10 - After having Signature home for exactly 60 days, they came out and disconnected me because the service, quite frankly, sucks. The only redeeming product in that line up is the Docsis 3.0 50/5 service. Dropped back to just RoadRunner Turbo (got hooked up with a 12 month special for $39.99). Which got upgraded from 10/.512 to 15/1 on 10/18/10.

7/19/10 - As promised TWC called back to follow up on the install on Friday. Left them with several thoughts. They tried to do a short troubleshooting session on why the upstairs DVR won't play a recorded show off of the downstairs DVR that had a movie recorded from a premium channel. We deleted it and I will record it again and see if that fixes it. If not, a tech will be sent.

7/16/10 - Tech showed up a few minutes after 5 due to storms and traffic. What seemed like a short 2 hour job ended up becoming a 4 hour job. First the tech toured my home to find out where all of the equipment would be installed. Then, he checked the signal levels at the street and at the box behind the house. After installing a pair of MoCA filters on the ingress line and the line to the cable modem, he then verified that all of the cable ends were clean.

Then, inside to setup the equipment. The cable modem went first. Plugged it in and it immediately found a DOCSIS 3.0 signal. Then, it came time to provision it. Followed by the cable boxes. The provisioning took the most time. Apparently, these packages are brand new, and I was the 2nd person to have these services installed. So I can cut them some slack for that. The cable modem assigned me a IPv4 and IPv6 address. Peak speeds were 50,100 down, and 5,100 up. RoadRunner Wideband is $99/mo here. I got it packaged with everything else for $180. That includes RoadRunner wireless (not mobile), home phone with voice mail. Pretty much the works in the toys department. Video services stay the same.

After the DVR's were provisioned we test out the whole home functionality. The two DVRs work together seemlessly. If you record a show on one DVR it shows up immediately on the other DVR. PQ is very good. Could use some HD menus, ability to delete remote shows and enable my external hard drive.

7/15/10 - Got word of TimeWarner SignatureHome. $179.95/mo for Roadrunner Wideband (with 802.11 wireless), a pair of whole house DVRs, and unlimited phone service. This was the first day they were offering this package. Was on the phone for 2 hours getting signed up. Part of that was my fault for asking so many questions. But they did have some issues getting everything keyed in. Install is scheduled for 7/16/10. Because I called late, the 2nd rep said they couldn't get my phone service installed the next day. So they will be out on 7/20/10 to install the phone service.

The DVRs are either Samsung or Cisco (I requested Cisco) 320GB models. And external hard drives are supported. You can record a program on one DVR and watch it on the other, or vice versa. You can add a stand alone cable box and it can act as a client to the 2 DVRs.

Being a Signature client gets you next day support for service adds. It gets you proactive monitoring, and a 60-90 minute SLA should something break (so sayuth the sales rep). Also, there's no calling the national or local tier 1 help desks anymore. You call your team of reps.

4/10 - Running smooth! No noticed outages or issues since the last update. Speeds are good (15-22Mbps down w/Turbo, solid 480kbps up). Would love more upload, though!

1/09 - Since TWC was finally able to resolve my horrible speeds by moving my neighborhood to a new hub things have been solid. They added SpeedBoost to those with the Turbo package. Max download from that I have seen is around 21Mbps. Though it usually is in the 15-18Mbps range.

-----------------------

1/08 - Uploads STILL at 384kbps. Tonight I notice that my downloads are very slow. 500k down/350k up (which is normal). Call and speak to the national help desk. Long story short, they refuse to help me.

I've been a RR cable customer for 10 years. I know how to do the basic troubleshooting steps. So, I complete them. Still, slow speeds. The first girl I speak with is looking at my cable modem and resets it. Before I can tell her not to do that the call is dropped (using Packet 8). I wait for a bit, hoping she'd call back. No dice. So I call back in and reach girl number 2. Oh boy. Next time I call, I'll remember to explicitly say I don't have a router. She wants me to disconnect everything (never mind that the call will drop). And hook the PC up directly to the cable modem.

She won't look at the signal strength or anything without me completing that. I tell her about the last girl helping me without issue. She goes on and on (very quickly too) about all the things they want to do (never mind I work around PCs, servers and networks for a living). I told her to escilate me. Her supervisor comes on the line and basically says the same thing. I ask "how am I supposed to disconnect my phone and still talk to you to hook something directly to the cable modem?" His reply? "Call your VoIP provider". I about went berzerk. I have never, ever had such pathetic support as I did tonight. I finally get him to get me to the local office. Person I speak with there is very nice, checks my modem, wants to reset it but I ask her not too. Checks a few more things and schedules a truck roll.

I'm ready to turn all my services off if this is how tech support is going to be.

1/07 - Our uploads still remain at 384kbps. I usually see around 360kbps in tests here. Service is solid as a rock and has very high uptimes. Otherwise, review below remains true today.

----------------------

I signed up for RoadRunner in the spring of 1998. I was one of the "Early Birds" as they called it then.

Advertised service is 5 megabits-per-second down, 384 kilobits per second up. I usually see 4.2 to 4.5 megabits-per-second down and 361 kilobits per second up using BBR's speed tests. The results are consistent throughout the day.

With the exception of DNS issues that cropped up in March when RoadRunner raised the download speeds, my cable modem has been solid (read: telephone uptime solid) for a couple of years now. The last outage was in 2003 when we had one of the worst ice storms this region has seen (that storm even knocked down telephone service for a couple of days).

I've upgraded modems a couple of times and am currently using an AmBit modem. The first one I got was defective, so a quick run to one of the local offices fixed that problem.

My only complaint with RoadRunner is the slow upload speed. This is the age of individual content creators. It's more than "running servers". VoIP, gaming, sending video to friends, webcams and the like take bandwidth. It's high time RoadRunner upgrade our upload speeds to a minimum of 768 kilo-bits-per-second as basic service.

member for 10.3 years, 5042 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

jkingo

@rr.com

TWC webmail

agreed. well said. i hate paying my TWC bill- and..., they keep telling me there's no issue:/
maybe if they removed the TONS of local animated advertisement pop ups?!?!
frankly i'm angry- i wouldn't want to use this webmail as a free service.
TWC really, really sucks.

Review by aguypd See Profile

• Location: Silver Springs,Wyoming,NY
Good "Usually good bandwidth"
Bad "TV channels will jitter at times, because of the compressed bandwidth"
Overall "Good deal for the price, when you get their package deal"

·Frontier Communi..
(update 2014-11) Time Warner increased their prices, yet, again earlier this year. Even with the increase in prices, paying for NetFlix, and buying a VOIP phone service, we are still paying $30 less than when we had Time Warner's All-In-One bundle.

(update 2014-2) After our fourth DVR stopped working in two years, we decided to just drop the cable TV and digital phone and keep only the Internet. We upgraded the Internet from Standard to Ultimate, so we will see how that does. It will be a price increase to $102, but with dropping the TV and phone, it will be a savings of about $50. Even with purchase of NetFlix, we are still saving over $40. The few shows that we used to watch on TV, we can still watch online.

(update 2013-12) Looking over our cable bill from Time Warner Cable, I was struck by the extra charges.
We have their DVR service, so that we can record shows and watch them later. It is really nice for fast forwarding over all the commercials. We can watch an hour worth of news in just under 40 minutes.
The bill has the DVR service at $12.95, but there is another $8.49 for equipment charges for 1 DVR converter and 1 remote.
That's a total of $21.44 for having a DVR. Time Warner Cable will "nickel & dime" you to death.
We called Time Warner Cable and talked to one guy about "lowering our bill" and the guy instead tried offer us a deal that would "save money on our bill."
We declined and then called back and talked to a different representative, when told that we were looking at getting rid of the TV, possibly the phone, too, and just keeping the Internet, she offered us a better deal for one year. We will save $5.

(update 2013-06)Now, Time Warner has raised fees by creating new charges, such as a modem rental fee or you can buy your own. We bought our own, but since then, we have been struggling to get the former bandwidth of 15,000/1,000, we are usually getting about 5,000/300.

(update 2012-11)We have the three-in-one service and now we are going to be charged a modem rental fee. If we want to purchase one off of their approved list, we then have to put in a splitter to hook up our own and continue to use Time Warner's for the digital phone.
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, so we will probably just get rid of the digital phone, when we purchase our own modem.

(update 2012-01)Our Internet has been rock solid. We have been very happy with our service.

(update 2010-09)Our Internet service has been rock solid, except for one weekend, but they credited out account for the time it was down.

The bandwidth with Powerboost is consistenly around 17-19 Mbs and after Powerboost ends, it stays pretty consistent around 9 Mbs.
The latency is pretty consistent to NYC, at about 30 ms.

(update)Road Runner has just upgraded our upload to 1 Mbs and is pretty consistent at around .97 Mbs. It is a nice feature and we will see how the price of Road Runner does with their new rates coming out next month.

(update)After continuously comparing the bandwidth between my mom's dsl with Frontier and our Road Runner, Road Runner had consistently had three times the bandwidth and less than half of the latency.

(update)Even with the Powerboost added, you can compare large files, that overcome the first 10 MB Powerboost and show you your true bandwidth usually by using a java based bandwidth test.
Seeing the true bandwidth after Powerboost, it is still 3 times faster than Frontiernet.

(update)Time Warner has put their tiers and caps on the back burner, until they "educate the consumer." They have added some tier and cap terminology to their TOS, so it might not be too much longer before they decide to initiate it onto their plans.

(update)Time Warner announced that they are going to be starting caps and charging by a tiered program with overages at $1/GB. If they do start that, then the cable TV will be getting scaled back. If it still too expensive, then we might end up going back to FrontierNet, since they have said they decided to NOT start caps and a tiered program.

(update)Switched back after trying FrontierNet. The technician came out and installed the modem in just a few minutes and we were up.

The bandwidth is three times what we were getting with FrontierNet. It was a mistake to switch over to FrontierNet in the first place. Especially, now that they are talking about adding caps and tiered service plans.

However, when we had called to have Road Runner installed, again, we were NOT given the option for a self-install kit. In our next bill, they attempted to charge us for the install, in which we complained. They removed the charge.

(update)FrontierNet offered us a deal where the first year was free, plus a modem charge and then the second year was $30 plus modem fee, so we switched from Road Runner to FrontierNet.

Mailed us a self-install kit

Switched to Frontier, when they offered us a deal of the first year free and the second year at $30/month.

However, Road Runner is almost three times the bandwidth, so based on bandwidth to price, Road Runner was the better deal. Will probably be coming back to Road Runner, soon.

member for 6.5 years, 2536 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by thebigzeus1 See Profile

• Location: Austin,Travis,TX
Good "Bumped me up to MAXX for free since fiber form AT&T and Google is here"
Bad "Upload sucks, latency should be better for cable internet honestly"
Overall "I wont be switching to fiber unless something bad happens with TWC for awhile"

Have had some bumps in the road, but now since I bought a Motorola SB6183 and TP link Archer C7 the connection is rock solid. I am getting more than I pay for and on a permanent promo for Maxx 200 internet. Upload could/should be better for cable, this isn't DSL here... but anyway not much to complain about. Goes out once maybe every 3 months.

Comments:

Review by n2ubp See Profile

• Location: Middletown,Orange,NY
Good "Faster than ADSL from Frontier"
Bad "online ordering was useless, multiple hand offs when calling help desk"
Overall "The fastest monoploy in my area"

·Frontier Communi..
Ordered the 15mb standard package online with free install. They lost my order record and I had to call them 4 or more times to get things straightened out. Got passed around to multiple departments until we found some intelligent life that knew how to handle the situation. Voice phone line quality for help desk extremely poor, full of noise, static, like you were in the middle of a lightning storm. More time on hold than talking to people. Speedtest shows 16mb download speeds during the day but it goes down to 5mb during the evening when everyone is home and overloading the local circuit, meaning they have over subscribed the area. Still way better speed than Frontier ADSL. I will revisit DSL when and if they upgrade the local plant for faster speeds. Not sure if the TW 15mb package is worthwhile once the promo price expires.

Update Nov 11 2014: TWC is definitely oversubscribed in my area. Speed during daytime hours is a solid 15/1, but once 7PM rolls around download speed can drop as low as 3 mbps until 11pm. Feb 2015 is renewal time. DSL has upped their game with 25mb/2mb service in my area for the same price as the discounted 15/1 Time Warner service. I just may switch if TWC plays hardball with pricing come the renewal date. Power went off down the block and internet was offline for two hours. Guess TWC has no battery backup for the gray boxes hanging on the phone poles. IPV6 seems to work okay.

member for 7.3 years, 553 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

frontierwins

@spcsdns.net

frontier is better

frontier has adsl and vdsl. their bottom dollar package blows TW out of the water!
brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ

Re: frontier is better

If you happen to live somewhere Frontier has deemed profitable enough to upgrade, and being in NY it's most likely an ex-Verizon area.. aka good luck getting any upgrades there.
n2ubp

join:2007-07-13
Middletown, NY

Re: frontier is better

no, actually it went something like this: Frontier _> Citizens -> CONTEL -> Continental Telephone Company of Upstate NY -> GTE (pre 1980's). Middletown, NY was never Verizon.
bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY

Frontier was resurrected from the Rochester phone company/Global Crossing
n2ubp

join:2007-07-13
Middletown, NY

Re: frontier is better

In my area Frontier offers 3.7mbps/.5 ADSL service only, as max from fridge size box on the street corner. The best it can chug out is 2.7/.4 mbps. Frontier help desk says no plans to update ten year + old technology. Maybe when they fix all the problems in West Virginia they will come back north.

Review by linjon See Profile

• Location: Astoria,Queens,NY
Good "speed"
Bad "being slammed, and notified it was my fault!"
Overall "moving on to fios"

After starting at ~80/mth 4 years ago, my tricked out signature home with 2 fancy boxes, 2 cheap boxes, overseas phone, all regular channels + hbo + showtime, bill was 285/mth. D/l speed was 275 mb!

I live in Queens, and fios was late to arrive in my area. I don't generally check my bill, but I did yesterday and I found that I had tmc and starz, but I never ordered them. I called and told rep I had been slammed, and she quickly offered me 2 months refund. I reviewed my checks and my monthly fee had jumped on 8/18, by $30, and I told her that, and I asked could I get a refund for those months , but she told me I should check my bill more frequently. ??

Funny thing, when I got home my doorbell rang, and it was a fios marketer. Seems like they finally wired my area.

As for the service"

Sometimes I get the startover ability, sometimes I don't. I've swapped my boxes out 2 or 3 times. The current ones need to go, but I guess I won't be doing that.I had repeated problems getting some channels upstairs ( they came and ran new wire), and it seems to be ok. For a while, after I went from fast speed to super fast, i kept getting dropped, but that's resolved.Phones are ok, but I get 10-15 telemarketers a day, now plus collection companies for ppl I don't know. I asked for a new number, they said it was $100 for that.

Comments:

Review by hchen42 See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Got better speed than I signed up for."
Bad "Lousy presale info"
Overall "$30 for 50Mbps is great value, but I am forced to pay $60 TV which I don't need."

I recently moved into a new building in midtown Manhattan (NYC).

First, this apartment building has a contract with TWC, so I am forced to pay $60 cable TV no matter what. While this has nothing to do with my Internet, I have to deduct one star for value, since I have no other choice but to use TWC to get a "combo discount".

Presale was a ripoff. The supposed account manager assigned to the building made a few mistakes transferring my old account. First she didn't close the old account. Hence I was continued to be charged; they refused to refund. Second, they didn't remove my cable modem, which I own, MAC address from their system. I warned the account manager too. So during the day of installation, we were sitting around for an extra 30 minutes as the back office had remove my MAC address then reassign to my current account. Third which I came to find out later was that the building is entitled to 50Mbps plan for $30. The account manager told me that $30 was for standard (15Mbps) plan. Faster speed would require a higher price. Luckily, I signed up for 15Mbps.

Installation was surprisingly great. The technician was friendly. Most amazingly, he arrived ON-TIME. He checked all the cable outlet, made sure all the outlets have great signal. He made sure everything works before leaving. He made me feel like a valued customer.

When I ran my first speed test, I got 40Mbps on my phone. What? I thought I signed up for 15Mbps. Next, I tested on my laptops, desktop, all achieved 55-57Mbps. Wow. I thought TWC screwed up in my favor. Two days later, when I spoke to the building manager did I realize 50Mbps was the speed I was entitled due to the "forced TV fee" that I was paying. Put it in another way, Instead of lowering the TV price, TWC agree to upgrade speed for standard price for the whole building. WTF, and the account manager never mention this?!?! BTW, this is very common lately in NYC. TWC would strike deals with the apartment building usually for lower price, but everyone in the building must sign up. TWC does this to either "force" everyone in the building to sign up (aka force subscription) or prevent FIOS from coming in.

Connection has been reliable so far. Haven't had to call for any additional services since the installation (happened mid August 2014).

Comments:

djrobx
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
·VOIPO

Maxx

The reason you're getting 50mbps instead of 15 is because TWC upgraded speeds for everyone in the LA and NYC markets.

»www.timewarnercable.com/en/about···nyc.html

Review by gpfryguy See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Fast downloads, Good for multiple PCs, & Works 90% of the time"
Bad "some channels do not display. PC TV mediocre, Connection losses during the day"
Overall "It's the best of 2 evils in my area."

I signed up for the Triple play, digital cable, phone and internet. I also have upgraded the internet speed because I work from my home.

The order and install process was good. This was a pre-built home which already had cable.

I am renting the Internet modem, and cable box. Modem is a Arris TG862

I work from home, and I experience random disconnects through out the day. I have had many support calls, and when they test things, everything is good for them. They said they can watch the line, but I have not heard anything about it. I am also seeing the cable go out almost every morning around 1am.

The TV cable box is very slow. When I change channels, it is not instant. Sometimes it will take 30 seconds to load the channel. And then other times I can surf, and have to wait for the channels to show up. It runs on a Cisco and takes 5 minutes to boot. Like I posted in the good section, I am over all satisfied, but have to deal with some glitches. From others I have talked to in the neighborhood, it beats dish or other providers.

Comments:
ncted

join:2010-10-25
Durham, NC
·Frontier Communi..

TWC sends modem reset commands frequently

A coworker of mine as documented TWC sending frequent modem reset commands to his modem which is probably the same thing you're seeing which is causing the service to drop out regularly during the day.

Not sure how TWC's cable TV boxes can in any way compare to Dish or DirecTV. You should actually try out the competition, as I have honestly found nothing nearly as bad as TimeWarnerCable Navigator.