Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by CCat See Profile

• Location: Wonderland
Good "50Mb Down / 5 Mb Up"
Bad "Nothing for now."
Overall "Pretty consistant"

I switched from WOW in March. TWC offered a bundle with cable, internet, and voip.
Aside from a minor install problem (which was corrected the next day) everything went well. The turbo speed (15Mb down) is great. I only have 768K up but I really don't upload much so for me its not an issue. So far, so good.

Jan 2009 ISP has been very consistent with speeds. Aside from the usual slowdowns at peak times, and even these are not really a problem. At this point I am very happy with Roadrunner.

Sep 2009 Nothing has changed since Jan. A couple of outages due to weather but thats about it. The usual slowdown with cable at peak times but acceptable.
Just wish RR would increase the upload speed, 768 Sucks.

Mar 2010 Everything is still the same here. Speeds have been consistent and where they are supposed to be. Upload still sucks though.

Jan 2011 Nothing new to report. A few times the cable went out but was corrected in a reasonable amount of time. Speeds remain consistent with the occasional holiday slowdowns. Still stuck with the 768 upload, hopefully that will be changed sometime soon.

Oct 2012 RR increased their upload speed from 768 to 1000 a few months back. Better but still slow. In Dec I am getting the 50/5 package...looking forward to that.

Mar 2013 Finally got the 50/5 package. Only had it for a couple of days, but so far it is solid.
What a difference from the 15/1 package. It costs $30 more per month than the standard 15/1 package which brings it up to $59 per month with the TV and Phone bundle.

Oct 2013 Still running well. No outages or problems since March. Speeds remain consistent.
Would like to see a boost in the upload speed, especially for a 50 package.

June 2014 Have the 50/5 package now. Last month they had an upgrade. This upgrade totally screwed up everything. Problems with email and tremendous slowdowns with internet speeds. If this keeps up much longer I will be changing providers.
All they say is that they are aware of the problem and are working on it...Yeah right.

July 2014 Things are pretty much back to normal. Took a long time to correct IMO.

member for 8.6 years, 5139 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

Email.

This is why you do NOT use your ISP's email addresses. Why do users still insist on using their ISP email? So when you change ISPs again you can change that addy? get a domain or a domain. $9.25 on name.com with a coupon code.

Review by hhv1 See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "It's internet"
Bad "It's the only game in town for me..."
Overall "It sucks, it's over priced, but I have no other choice"

I would fire them tomorrow if I had another choice and I'm hoping some competition will come soon. No U-verse in my area, no Verizon FIOS, no Google Fiber nada, zip, zilch. I can't stand TWC and their crappy service, I just have no alternatives.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:
etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX

What?

1. Which tier are you subscribed to?
2. $95 for what?

People that can't afford faster tiers should get the "every day low price" internet for 14.99 a month. If you can't afford $95 TWC I'm sure you can't afford $95 uverse or fios.
xQim

join:2003-09-20
·Fairpoint Commun..

said by etaadmin:

I don't see anywhere that this individual in anyway, shape, or form, said that they couldn't afford the service. The reviewer just claims that it is over-priced, and it sucks. Case and point: TWC is an overpriced oligopoly that offers garbage speeds at premium prices. 5Mbps is the quickest upload speed. TWC launched RR in 1995. Other then blatant greed, why are TWC speeds still so slow and overpriced after 19 years?
why60loss

join:2012-09-20
·Verizon Wireless..
·AT&T Wireless Br..

said by xQim:

said by etaadmin:

I thought Time warner cable was over priced as well and I had no issue paying the bill on time and in full. I think the reviewer just is mad that TWC is ripping them off is all.

It would have been nice to see more detail on why it sucks for the reviewer but I know what they do to those with out a choice very well. Those living in LA and NYC have no idea how they run things in areas with out a choice.
xQim

join:2003-09-20
·Fairpoint Commun..

4 edits

said by why60loss See Profile

Agreed. The reviewer should have gone into more depth as to what particularly irratated them. There are "two" options here and they both are terrible. I have to go with TWC because I don't consider unFairpoint to be a competitor. The price to speed ratio is absurd: $59.99 for 7Mbps/1Mbps, $49.90 for 4Mbps/1Mbps, and 2Mbps/768Kbps for $44.90. All prices are per month. Keep in mind that this does not include: fees, surcharges, taxes, etc. When TWC merges with Comcast I might take the leap to unFairpoint and use DSL as the primary and cable as the secondary fail over or load balance it. Why? unFairpoint does at least give you unlimited data. I refuse to pay for a service that is already overpriced and restricted to a data limit.

The price for TWC internet after the promotional year sky rockets. The ultimate package is $119.99/Month, Extreme is $99.99, Turbo is $79.99, Standard is $59.99, Basic is $39.99, and EDLP is $14.99.

I also do not consider Satellite or 3G (no 4G) to even be a last resort. The data caps are way to low, overpriced, and latency is way to high. I would take Dial-Up or ISDN if possible.

Review by outtherenost See Profile

• Location: Corona,Riverside,CA
Good "322/22 - No CAPS, reasonable company to deal with, 10+ yr customer"
Bad "Nothing to max downstream bandwidth with, maxxing 100mbs was tough enough"
Overall "I like TWC and for a big company that is a major achievement."

7/6/14:

Maxx Upgraded for a while now, everything is still as it should be.

TWC network must be pretty beefie, I have seen no negative changes since they started rolling this out.

May be downgrading soon, wish I had not sold my 5431J

7/10/09:

Still working good, very few issues as of late. Hopefully a speed bump is coming with all the latest FioS upgrades going on, but 15/2 is perfect for my needs for now.

Updated: 8/28/08

Still running strong. I am one of the fortunate ones that only has a few people on their node and get the advertised speeds day and night. The only time it's slow is when there a regional issues which I have been lucky to not have been effected by that much.

Until something better comes along or they start capping/throttling I'll be staying

Keep up the good work TWC

-------------------------------------------------

Talking to TWC about TV packages I discovered that RR Extreme is 15/2 is my area of Corona because FiOS is in the same zip code, I have ATT however. By being nice I was able to get the CS person to match my ATT Elite DSL price for a year so I could see just what all the fuss was about with this "cable modem thingy" that my friends had told me about.

So far it's very nice, nothing seems blocked and speed does not seems to vary day or night.

trash
--------------------------------------------

member for 13.1 years, 4377 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by spanola See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY

I've had mixed results with TWC. Some days the service is solid and others it takes forever to load something even when I'm sitting directly in front of the router. If I go into one of their retail stores the service is good and generally knowledgable. The phone service is hit or miss on how well they solve an issue.

Comments:

Review by djrobx See Profile

• Location: Valencia,Los Angeles,CA
Good "MAXX Speed, no installation hassles, no contracts, no caps, 2 day wait install"
Bad "None ... !"
Overall "Crazy fast. Faster speeds than what AT&T offers"

·VOIPO
7/2/2014

Alright, you got me Time Warner. When BBR posted a story about "Time Warner Maxx", it was right in the middle of the Charter negotiations, and I just assumed this was some BS press release from TWC trying to make themselves look good, and that they had no intention to follow up on it. They'd have to actually buy us new equipment for that, surely they wouldn't bother. Or maybe they would, but to really select areas.

After all, LA and NYC just got 100mbps. For those of us in AT&T territory, that in itself was pretty impressive.

Then we start hearing about the first markets to get Maxx. Real speed tests showing over 300mbps in SoCal. Nice! But would they really take this to the outskirts of the LA market, where the best you can do is 45mbps from AT&T U-verse? The answer appears to also be yes. I was a little floored to see Valencia so early on the rollout list, but here it is, today I have these amazing speeds.

The process of getting the replacement modem was surprisingly easy. Most people on the forum went to pick it up from the local TWC store with varying results. TWC notified me by email that the new speeds were available and to just click a link to have a new modem shipped to me. They fedexed it to me and it arrived 2 days later, with a pre-paid shipping label to return my old modem. The online activation process had issues, but was corrected with a quick, automated call to their activation hotline.

It's also worth noting that they enabled 16 channel downstream bonding and 4 channel upstream bonding just last week. I'm stunned that they went from plant upgrades to customer activations in such a short period of time!

The first speed test came back at 319/21. Whee!

TWC FINALLY does something edgy and impressive, but it's on their way out the door if Comcast successfully acquires them. Going out with a bang? Maybe we'll get really lucky and the merger will be blocked. In the meantime, I'll enjoy my new connection. Thanks TWC!

11/24/2013

BBR is nagging me to update my review. TWC just upgraded me to 100/5 service, so it's probably as good a time as any to do it.

The good:

My 50/5 service has been excellent and stable over the last two years. I work from home, and have been able to depend on this connection around the clock. I have not noticed peak-hour slowdowns; TWC seems to be doing a good job of keeping up with demand. TWC has pushed out updates to the SBG6580 that have resolved the issues I noted previously. A few months back they also released a ~10% speed boost, which helps ensure you get better-than-advertised speeds. All in, I'm seeing fairly consistent 113/5.5 speed tests, which is great. I've nudged up the reliability and value scores to reflect these experiences and updates. I'm also happy that TWC has continued to offer "unlimited" access.

The bad:

The downstream upgrade highlights that the upload speeds are in need of improvement. I'm afraid upload upgrades aren't in our near future. LA is still sitting without DOCSIS 3 upstream channel bonding enabled. TWC could also do a better job of communicating upgrades to customers. They sent me an email telling me I was upgraded to 100mbps, and to reboot my modem, but the actual upgrade didn't occur for a couple days. Tech support was not prepared for this email, and seemingly didn't know what to tell people to expect. Users in the TWC forum got a wide variety of answers, as if they were making stuff up.

These are definitely "first world problems" as some would put it. I'm very happy overall.

2/2/2012

I've had the service for a week now. Some issues:

1) The SBG6580 seems like a good device on the surface, but it's a terrible router. It seems to have a memory leak which causes speeds to gradually decline. In my case this would degrade my 50mbps service to no more than 30mbps after 48 hours. Speeds would resume after rebooting the modem. I had to dig out an old Buffalo router with DD-WRT to stop this from happening. I can't believe Motorola would put out such a buggy product, but at least there's a workaround.

2) When not inhibited by the modem, my speeds have been terrific. However, I've noticed the LA area suffers from increased pings (adding an additional 25ms of latency to all hosts) during peak hours (between 7-11). Looking at the RR_SOCAL DSLReports line monitors, this issue affects the majority of us in the LA territory. Gamers, stay away for now.

1/24/2012

Back in 2008 I left Road Runner for U-Verse Internet. Since then, U-verse has always had slightly faster speeds than Time Warner so I stuck with it.

Time Warner has been slow to roll out Docsis 3. But now that it's here, they seem to have a fairly unified strategy for their customers, which is good to see. For a long while, we had different speed tiers by zip code, with higher speeds in FiOS and FiOS adjacent neighborhoods.

Top speeds come at a big price tag. 50/5 for $99, unbundled. That's down from $109 a few months back. At this price point, I'd like to see higher uploads. I was also offered 30/5 for $59, which is much better bang for the buck, but I can't resist having the best.

I ordered via the web to get the free install. The next available appointment was over a week away. So after finishing the order I called to see if there were any earlier slots available. The first person I spoke with really botched things up. She said there was a $60 "wireless install charge" (huh?), and to avoid that changed my order to a standard 10/1 install and said I could upgrade later. Ugh. I called back and spoke to someone else who confirmed the mess she made, but said he couldn't give me the free install promo as it was a web only deal and she had invalidated that. He said the best bet was to delete the order and start over online. So I did. I called back Monday and this rep was able to change the date to the very next morning without any trouble at all. The whole process might not have been too big a deal if the automated phone system didn't insist that I was an out-of-state caller, and didn't keep dropping the call when trying to connect me to an agent.

The appointment was from 8-12. The tech arrived at 8:30. I think he was a little new, but he was polite and got the job done.

Speed tests have been bang on 51/5 every time. Pretty impressive. GrabIt was peaking around 6000KB/sec from EasyNews. Seems like it wasn't long ago when 600KB/sec was crazy fast. Road Runner has come a long way from the 1.5mbps service it started at here!

6/28/2008

No problems at all with this service. Time Warner decided to pull the newsgroup server. I completely understand why and accept that. However, it kept me from even considering other providers. Now what?

A news story in the Los Angeles Times a few months back lamented about the lack of HD channels on Time Warner. Time Warner promised to deliver 14 new channels by July 1. July came and now they're saying "Not until October." for my area.

Meanwhile, I'm looking at AT&T U-verse. They're going to pony up $200 cash back plus a free $75 month worth of TV. No contract. They also got Sci Fi HD and USA HD, two channels I've been wanting that TW has no plans to add (they're not even in the 14 that are supposedly coming). With AT&T practically willing to pay me to try their service out, why should I keep TW? I couldn't come up with a good answer. But to get TV you have to bundle internet, and that means giving up my Road Runner connection.

Road Runner has been 100% rock solid and reliable over the past year. I've really loved it. U-verse is technically a bit faster (10/1.5 vs. 10/1), although U-verse's internet has actually been slower than RR during peak hours. Rumors point to a 15/2 upgrade for Road runner eventually. Maybe when that comes I'll re-evaluate all this again.

1/23/2008

Gosh, has it been 6 months already? There's not much to report here. No news is good news. My connection has been flawless. I'm kind of hoping they'll bump us up to 15/2 at some point (perhaps in response to U-verse upgrades to 10/1.5) but my 10/1 connection is rocking for now. The included newsgroup server has slowed down quite a bit since I signed up, but it's still much better than what's offered by most other providers.

5/22/2007

Two week update. I have been thoroughly pleased with my decision to switch to Road Runner. The 10/1 speeds work flawlessly and my line monitor on BBR shows a solid, steady connection.

I almost forgot about the newsgroup server Road Runner has, but wow - the Los Angeles server is awesome! DSLExtreme offered 64KB/sec limited access to supernews. I can often pull the full 10 megabits from Road Runner's news server, and the retention seems to be at least as good as Easynews. Geez.

5/07/2007

This is not my first go at Road Runner, but it is my first experience with Time Warner Cable. Our cable system has been sold several times since I moved here in 98. I first signed up with MediaOne Road Runner in 2001. We were then sold to AT&T @Home, then to Comcast HSI, and now we've come full circle back to Time Warner Road Runner!

I've been using DSLExtreme for the last several years. Thanks to a nearby remote terminal, AT&T paired with DSLExtreme had been giving me great service and static IP through DSL. But AT&T is in the process of rolling out even newer service, and DSLExtreme wants *more* money per month with another 12 month commitment! I don't want to be stuck in another higher-priced contract with them when new options become available.

Looking over cable's offerings, I found out that Time Warner had increased the speeds to 10000/1000. Okay, so that's Optimum Online in 2001, but for Los Angeles, that's a record breaker. My very fist speed test: 9838/982. Yeah baby!

That's almost double what I was getting from DSLExtreme's premium offering. Great download speed AND upload speed. For less money than I was spending with DSLExtreme. As I type this review, I have a download going that's been at a rock solid 1.16MB/sec. If they can keep it running reasonably reliable, I'll stick with it! And if it ends up sucking, DSL is just a phone call away. No contracts is such a nice thing.

The only negative is what I expected, calling them is a pain in the butt. Tuns out I didn't need to bother. I just went down to the cable office, picked up the modem there and did a self install. It was so painless. I was up in minutes.

member for 14.1 years, 6924 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by LexingtonPro See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "Reliable speeds; delivered on their promises"
Bad "Functional monopoly; must bundle service"
Overall "Best we can do"

Upgraded to 30/5 today. Impressive throughput. Technician very thorough and solictious.

A marked improvment from Windstream fiber service.

A reasonable amount to pay if I didn't have to essentially have cable TV to get this price.

member for 1 year, 31 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by BellaStorm See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Fast"

Update: Decided to continue service.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Advertised as 50/5 speed, but getting a bit faster, with 12 month @ $62 (before tax, etch). Had an Arris all-in-one modem, but recently swapped out for SB6141 (didn't want the WiFi that was built in).

Likes: Level 3 tech support actually knows what they are talking about.

Didn't like that when we moved, Prince Telecom tech didn't put our power levels within specs, so another appointment was requested.

member for 108 days, 100 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by footinmouth See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Monroe,NY
Good "Holy Cow FAST! Beats Frontier's Internet many times over!"
Bad "Price"
Overall "You get what you pay for."

Upgraded to Road Runner Extreme package. (30/5) Installer provided me with a Motorola Surfboard SBG6850 modem. Retired my Ambit modem.
I Had Frontier's DSL for well over NINE years! After months of high latency and low bandwidth I had to part ways with the internet portion of the company. Too bad for the employees of the company. Good people but the Corporate side is uncaring about its existing customers. I would go back to DSL if they offered a package of 24 Mbps down and 3.5 Mbps up with a guarantee of bandwidth and low latency.

Results from »www.speed.io
(Copied on 2011-06-24 13:06:36)
Download: 29725 Kbit/s
Upload : 5437 kbit/s
Connects : 1939 conn/min
Ping: 21 ms

06/29/14 Price went up by $20 due to my promotion ending. Still going strong and slightly faster up and down speeds.

Comments:
tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

move south

if you could move south into NJ or Westchester, you'd have better options..

Review by ArgMeMatey See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Install time and process"
Bad "Leftover billing problems, modem fee"
Overall "Better price than the other half of the duopoly"

·AT&T Midwest
I ordered 10 Mbps online on a Thursday afternoon. $29.99 per month plus taxes, guaranteed rate for 12 months. Free cable modem for six months, $2.50 per month thereafter.

I was sweating a bit because the install date they proposed was just one day before my AT&T service was to be shut off.

Got an e-mail quickly saying to call them. Called them and found out there was a billing issue left over from my previous account with them, despite the fact that they sent me no less than three e-mails saying I owed them $0.00.

Got that squared away on Friday afternoon and they scheduled me for installation on Saturday morning, the next day. The installers arrived during the stated window and we were up and running in less than one hour. In my book, that's just this side of heavenly, although back when I had standard cable I was able to go to the Time Warner storefront, pick up a cable modem, and be online in less than an hour. The cable modem is a Cisco DPC2100R2. I like its simplicity vs. all the garbage in the 2Wire that AT&T provided for VDSL. I ran a couple of speed tests and both were about 9.6 Mbps.

Now I heard their new McAfee deal requires a separate RR e-mail address for each client. That seems a bit silly.

I'll update after I start using the service. Right now it's just sitting idle until AT&T UVerse goes dead in a couple of days.

Update 19 Nov 2012:
Running pretty well. Speed consistently tests at 12 Mbps. McAfee works fine; no separate e-mail required as I had been told.

I bought my own DPC2100r2 the month after the billing started, and it took about an hour to get it online on the phone. It would be nice if they would allow me to authenticate online and then enter the MAC address of whatever modem I want to use. But I know they need to download a file to the modem to control it.

Haven't had any billing issues otherwise. I've got another six months at this price so we'll see what happens at that point.

Update 27 Jun 2014:
During a neighborhood power outage on 27 Aug 2013 lasting less than two hours, there was no Time Warner service whatsoever. But the AT&T VRAD down the street was humming along on battery power.

For the period March 2014 through February 2015, I was able to renew again at about the same rate I had in year two: $35 plus tax. Still using the same modem although it's been delisted. Testing reveals that my speeds average just over 15 Mbps.

member for 12.9 years, 4297 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by steve54301 See Profile

• Location: Green Bay,Brown,WI
Good "It just works"
Bad "Low intro specials, but you can never downgrade"
Overall "Don't sign up for more than you need"

·TDS Communications
Time Warner isn't much different than others. They have a year of an introductory price, but after that expect to pay 1/4 to 1/2 more for your services.

One big gotcha is they will initially try and talk you into a package that is more than you need or were interested in. They will offer it for the first year at the same price as whatever you were seeking.

You may be thinking, after that first year, I'll just downgrade my services to offset the price increase. Good luck with that.