Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by xQim See Profile

• Location: Standish,Cumberland,ME
Good "Get Slightly Above Advertised Speed"
Bad "Monopoly, Tech Support Is Terrible, Upload Speeds Are In The Stone Age"
Overall "Get What You Pay For Which Isn't Much"

07/28/2014

I recently dropped my internet package from Ultimate 50Mbps/5Mbps (56Mbps/6Mbps) to the Standard Package 15Mbps/1Mbps (16Mbps/1.21Mbps). I did so because TWC was overcharging me for the Ultimate Package. I was quoted $64.99/Month, yet I got charged $89.99/Month. Trying to fix any issue over the phone with TWC is worthless unless you can speak five different languages, enjoy being on hold for long periods of time, and getting hung up on. So I went to the nearest office to dispute the charges. I told the woman there that I was being overcharged and that I was told it would be $64.99/Month. She said, "There is absolutely no way possible that the Ultimate Package was $64.99/Month. I told her to go to TWC website and low and behold I was right. Since TWC is a monopoly around here, I would only be able to receive that $64.99 price once and then it would go up to $89.99. At this point all logics are thrown out the window. Apparently $89.99/Month is a great deal because it usually costs $119.99/Month. I would never pay that so I started asking the prices of every package to which she would tell me the non promotional price. I ran down the list until Basic and said I want to cancel my service then. In order to not lose a customer she finally offered the Standard Package at its promotional price of $34.99/Month, which I agreed to. On speed tests I get 16Mbps/1.21Mbps. I get above advertised speeds but it is still a premium price for junk speed. I realize it could be worse.

TWC launched Roadrunner in 1995 with a 3Mbps/0.384Mbps package and was available in my area shortly thereafter. The price back then was $44.99/Month. The point I'm trying to make is that after 19 years the speeds have slowly gone up as well as the price. It shouldn’t take that long to upgrade. Since there is zero competition, there is no reason for them to upgrade anything. The “South Park” episode regarding cable is pretty much spot on.

The only reason I have TWC is because the only other option is 3Mbps/1Mbps unFaipoint DSL for $59.99/Month. That is not competition at all. I feel bad for the people on unFairpoint as I have used it before and every time I did, I never received the speeds advertised and the connection would drop everyday and my bandwidth would be cut in half for no reason everyday.

The only reason for 3 stars on Install is because I did it myself with my own modem.

No competition = Terrible Service.

member for 10.8 years, 272 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

an0nny

@reliablehosting.com

your $200

you wont ever see it unless you can prove the installer took 2 modems of yours. i.e. video of him taking them.

this if you ever even had 2 modems extra and are not just trying to bad mouth twc.

its your word against their's and w/o any proof you wont get $200.

Re: your $200

I'm not bad mouthing TWC for the sake of it. I have three witnesses that saw them there and they were mysteriously gone after he finished. Also, Fairpoint had to come out to my house and install a new telephone box because the TWC employee destroyed the box. For what reason? Why would a cable company need to do anything with the telephone box? Umm gee, too stop the competition. So it is actually four individuals against one.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

SA

I wasn't there to see what happened, but since when are you able to purchase an SA modem and use it on the TWC Network. Those modems are generally LEASED and are not for sale.

Bobkatt

@rr.com

Re: SA

Out of curiosity I did a search and SA modems are for sale all over the Internet so they are not only "for lease"

Review by chachster See Profile

• Location: Westerville,Delaware,OH
Good "Great tech for the install."
Bad "Get pixelization every once in a while"
Overall "Internet speeds are good and the TV service is as expected"

·WOW Internet and..
I ordered a DVR with HBO and Ultimate Internet (50meg)

Came with the 8300HD DVR - Relic, but it works.

Installer made sure everything was working before he left. Using my own modem and that was no problem getting online.

I also have 4 cablecards for TiVo and Silicon Dust HD Prime, sports pack and Showtime.

I see pixelization every once in a great while, but I've come to accept that as digital cable.

member for 11.9 years, 4190 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Pegasus See Profile

• Location: Hilton,Monroe,NY
Good "Stable speeds. Lots of HD. Better appointment times. Whole home DVR works great. No fee's for paying bill on the phone."
Bad "No premiums HBO, Showtime ETC included. Should include another client box. "
Overall "if your happy with TWC in your area & want more than 1 DVR & 50/5 internet signature home makes sense."

Signed up for signature home on 7/14/2013, Installed on 7/21/2013

Ordering was pretty smooth. spoke with a very nice woman who was easy to understand and pleasant & excited about what she was selling.

Installation was quick & painless. Tech sat down with my family & myself before installing anything to go over all the services and to make sure it suited all of our needs. after that all the cable outlets were tested & the tech was shown where all the equipment was to be placed.

For cable boxes i was given 2 Cisco 8742HDC.

For data & phone i kept the dual modem set up i already had, Arris for data & Technicolor for the home phone.

The only real complaint i have about signature home thus far are:

1. should include one client box included in the 199.99 price.

2. The call center for signature home is iffy. its hit or miss. Its not a terrible, the agents are never rude or unhelpful but sometimes it feels like the agents are in training & they are nervous.

Things i rave about:

1. No stupid fee's for paying over the phone, or paying by check over the phone.

3. Im never on hold when i call

4. The appointment times are fantastic. no waiting around for a tech.

5. The field techs. only the best of the best tech's do signature home appointments. this is really great. in the past before signature home ive had some very rude lousy techs.

Overall its just nice to have a cable company kiss my keister, even if its just a peck.

July 2014 Update.

Not much of anything has change service wise. Only changes have been with support. the signature home call center in NC is excellent now. No more using *67 to block my number when calling to get regular support. Its flip flopped. regular support is horrendous now it seems.

member for 6.5 years, 208 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by aemurray See Profile

• Location: Van Nuys,Los Angeles,CA
Good "download speed, reliable"
Bad "Too many menus in reacing tech support"
Overall "Tech support and service seems to have deteriorated"

Have used TW for 10 years, services until recently has actually been very, extremely good. Of late, the past 3 months, the phone and the RoadRunner service disconnects. Contacting tech support is of little to no value. The roadrunner service has deteriorated tremendously. Have called several time because of numerous, long-term drops. Have had to disconnect all cables (power, coax, Ethernet) and hit reset button, let sit for about 10 minutes before plugging everything back in and usually on about the 4th attempt of going through this procedure I get my connection back. Tech support was here two weeks ago and was to have replaced my cable modem but instead the tech only checked outside wiring and stated some of the other TW customers had loose connections and caused my connection to "bleed." Connection lasted about a week and the problems started again. Have another tech call in on August 2. Before TW was able to send someone within a couple of days, now it is taking two weeks. Don't think I will be putting up with this type of service much longer.

Comments:

Review by beeftaco See Profile

• Location: Beaver Dam,Ohio,KY
Good "Speed, when it works"
Bad "Speed and connection, when they don't work"
Overall "I'd have no problem moving to another ISP if one were available in the rural area I live in."

I had New Wave as my ISP before TWC bought them out. When they were bought out, the transition was seamless: no replacing my modem, no new cables needed to be run, etc, so I would list that as a pro.

With New Wave, the price I was paying was $30-35/month for internet service (no phone, no cable) that was reliable, albeit not as fast as what I currently have. A few months after TWC took over, my bill jumped to $44.95. I will point out that this was without prior notice/permission under the claim that TWC upgraded my internet package to better speeds. Again, I didn't call up TWC to request a better/faster package, and I wasn't given a notice (prior to receiving a bill) about the change.

Speeds: Speedtest.net varies according to time of day. But at about 10 PM CST on a Friday night, it clocked in at 14 mbps down and 1 mbps up. The speed, when it's working, is acceptable. I live in a rural area and the next thing I have to compare it to is satellite (I've been there/done that with WildBlue and got robbed blind--$1000 in bogus charges over the three months I had them), so the price for speed is pretty good compared to what's currently available in my area.

The connectivity: I do a decent amount of online gaming and there was a period of a couple months where I'd be dropped from games or lagging so bad I'd have to reset both my modem and router to fix the problem. I'd have to reset everything at least once/day for a few months. It. Was. Tedious. They must have changed something behind the scenes, because that problem doesn't exist anymore and while it was annoying, it wasn't annoying enough to give them a call to get the issue resolved (the stuff is back up and operating in just a few minutes' time).

Billing: I've made an online account and no longer receive paper billing. It's more convenient to just pay my bill via a mobile phone app, so tally another pro for TWC. The paper bill does not contain an abundant amount of information. I'd be interested to see monthly usage (in case I ever get a chance to change providers I'd know what package I'd need from a different ISP) and I can't even tell you what package I have; neither of these is listed on the paper or downloadable PDF bill.

Tech support: I don't have to call in or chat with tech support often, which is good because their over-the-phone/internet tech support just sucks. I spent 1/2 hour to 45 minutes with chat support just now (at least half of that waiting to be transferred from one tech to another) and still didn't get the issue I was having resolved. I was given a runaround of unnecessary diagnostic tests and whatnot just to be told to call up my local office during business hours. My problem: YouTube streaming was being extremely slow (I'm talking 5+ minutes to load a 1- to 3-minute video). There's an old workaround for this posted online but it's outdated and doesn't work. Still, the fact that workaround exists tells me TWC is throttling YouTube streaming and has the capability of fixing this problem. But they seem disinterested in helping their paying customers the workaround for this. If customer service/support is important to you--as a consumer--I'd suggest avoiding Time Warner Cable.

So while the price, speed, and connectivity is just "OK" (I definitely wouldn't say great), their tech support is severely lacking when it comes to helping paying customers.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:
why60loss

join:2012-09-20
·Verizon Wireless..
·AT&T Wireless Br..

Youtube is a big issue with Time warner cable

Those in LA/NYC get gold, the rest on this topic seem to get dumped on when it comes to speed from youtube.

The only way around it really is a VPN and no one brings this up about them like Comcast/Verizon because they only let that go on in markets like yours when they know and tech support looking up your billing zip know that your "choices" are limited.

What happens with youtube is at the link from TWC to youtube. Time warner cable doesn't want to pay for an upgrade to the link in your area so in place of getting 14mbs to Youtube you get some slower speed that forces the video player to wait for the data it needs to play the video. It's really a bunch of BS, because AT&T and Comcast don't have this issue with YouTube like TWC does. (They do how ever want to shake Netfilx down for money, but TWC is the only ISP I know that seems to hate Youtube so much.)

Tech support though can't do anything about it even if they did care because they don't have the power to upgrade the link from TWC to Youtube, that power is far far above there pay grade.

Review by CCat See Profile

• Location: Wonderland
Good "50Mb Down / 5 Mb Up"
Bad "Nothing for now."
Overall "Pretty consistant"

I switched from WOW in March. TWC offered a bundle with cable, internet, and voip.
Aside from a minor install problem (which was corrected the next day) everything went well. The turbo speed (15Mb down) is great. I only have 768K up but I really don't upload much so for me its not an issue. So far, so good.

Jan 2009 ISP has been very consistent with speeds. Aside from the usual slowdowns at peak times, and even these are not really a problem. At this point I am very happy with Roadrunner.

Sep 2009 Nothing has changed since Jan. A couple of outages due to weather but thats about it. The usual slowdown with cable at peak times but acceptable.
Just wish RR would increase the upload speed, 768 Sucks.

Mar 2010 Everything is still the same here. Speeds have been consistent and where they are supposed to be. Upload still sucks though.

Jan 2011 Nothing new to report. A few times the cable went out but was corrected in a reasonable amount of time. Speeds remain consistent with the occasional holiday slowdowns. Still stuck with the 768 upload, hopefully that will be changed sometime soon.

Oct 2012 RR increased their upload speed from 768 to 1000 a few months back. Better but still slow. In Dec I am getting the 50/5 package...looking forward to that.

Mar 2013 Finally got the 50/5 package. Only had it for a couple of days, but so far it is solid.
What a difference from the 15/1 package. It costs $30 more per month than the standard 15/1 package which brings it up to $59 per month with the TV and Phone bundle.

Oct 2013 Still running well. No outages or problems since March. Speeds remain consistent.
Would like to see a boost in the upload speed, especially for a 50 package.

June 2014 Have the 50/5 package now. Last month they had an upgrade. This upgrade totally screwed up everything. Problems with email and tremendous slowdowns with internet speeds. If this keeps up much longer I will be changing providers.
All they say is that they are aware of the problem and are working on it...Yeah right.

July 2014 Things are pretty much back to normal. Took a long time to correct IMO.

member for 8.6 years, 5148 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

Email.

This is why you do NOT use your ISP's email addresses. Why do users still insist on using their ISP email? So when you change ISPs again you can change that addy? get a domain or a domain. $9.25 on name.com with a coupon code.

Review by hhv1 See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "It's internet"
Bad "It's the only game in town for me..."
Overall "It sucks, it's over priced, but I have no other choice"

I would fire them tomorrow if I had another choice and I'm hoping some competition will come soon. No U-verse in my area, no Verizon FIOS, no Google Fiber nada, zip, zilch. I can't stand TWC and their crappy service, I just have no alternatives.

Comments:
etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX

What?

1. Which tier are you subscribed to?
2. $95 for what?

People that can't afford faster tiers should get the "every day low price" internet for 14.99 a month. If you can't afford $95 TWC I'm sure you can't afford $95 uverse or fios.

said by etaadmin:

I don't see anywhere that this individual in anyway, shape, or form, said that they couldn't afford the service. The reviewer just claims that it is over-priced, and it sucks. Case and point: TWC is an overpriced oligopoly that offers garbage speeds at premium prices. 5Mbps is the quickest upload speed. TWC launched RR in 1995. Other then blatant greed, why are TWC speeds still so slow and overpriced after 19 years?
why60loss

join:2012-09-20
·Verizon Wireless..
·AT&T Wireless Br..

said by xQim:

said by etaadmin:

I thought Time warner cable was over priced as well and I had no issue paying the bill on time and in full. I think the reviewer just is mad that TWC is ripping them off is all.

It would have been nice to see more detail on why it sucks for the reviewer but I know what they do to those with out a choice very well. Those living in LA and NYC have no idea how they run things in areas with out a choice.

4 edits

said by why60loss See Profile

Agreed. The reviewer should have gone into more depth as to what particularly irratated them. There are "two" options here and they both are terrible. I have to go with TWC because I don't consider unFairpoint to be a competitor. The price to speed ratio is absurd: $59.99 for 7Mbps/1Mbps, $49.90 for 4Mbps/1Mbps, and 2Mbps/768Kbps for $44.90. All prices are per month. Keep in mind that this does not include: fees, surcharges, taxes, etc. When TWC merges with Comcast I might take the leap to unFairpoint and use DSL as the primary and cable as the secondary fail over or load balance it. Why? unFairpoint does at least give you unlimited data. I refuse to pay for a service that is already overpriced and restricted to a data limit.

The price for TWC internet after the promotional year sky rockets. The ultimate package is $119.99/Month, Extreme is $99.99, Turbo is $79.99, Standard is $59.99, Basic is $39.99, and EDLP is $14.99.

I also do not consider Satellite or 3G (no 4G) to even be a last resort. The data caps are way to low, overpriced, and latency is way to high. I would take Dial-Up or ISDN if possible.

Review by outtherenost See Profile

• Location: Corona,Riverside,CA
Good "322/22 - No CAPS, reasonable company to deal with, 10+ yr customer"
Bad "Nothing to max downstream bandwidth with, maxxing 100mbs was tough enough"
Overall "I like TWC and for a big company that is a major achievement."

7/6/14:

Maxx Upgraded for a while now, everything is still as it should be.

TWC network must be pretty beefie, I have seen no negative changes since they started rolling this out.

May be downgrading soon, wish I had not sold my 5431J

7/10/09:

Still working good, very few issues as of late. Hopefully a speed bump is coming with all the latest FioS upgrades going on, but 15/2 is perfect for my needs for now.

Updated: 8/28/08

Still running strong. I am one of the fortunate ones that only has a few people on their node and get the advertised speeds day and night. The only time it's slow is when there a regional issues which I have been lucky to not have been effected by that much.

Until something better comes along or they start capping/throttling I'll be staying

Keep up the good work TWC

-------------------------------------------------

Talking to TWC about TV packages I discovered that RR Extreme is 15/2 is my area of Corona because FiOS is in the same zip code, I have ATT however. By being nice I was able to get the CS person to match my ATT Elite DSL price for a year so I could see just what all the fuss was about with this "cable modem thingy" that my friends had told me about.

So far it's very nice, nothing seems blocked and speed does not seems to vary day or night.

trash
--------------------------------------------

member for 13.1 years, 4382 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by spanola See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY

I've had mixed results with TWC. Some days the service is solid and others it takes forever to load something even when I'm sitting directly in front of the router. If I go into one of their retail stores the service is good and generally knowledgable. The phone service is hit or miss on how well they solve an issue.

Comments:

Review by djrobx See Profile

• Location: Valencia,Los Angeles,CA
Good "MAXX Speed, no installation hassles, no contracts, no caps, 2 day wait install"
Bad "None ... !"
Overall "Crazy fast. Faster speeds than what AT&T offers"

·VOIPO
7/2/2014

Alright, you got me Time Warner. When BBR posted a story about "Time Warner Maxx", it was right in the middle of the Charter negotiations, and I just assumed this was some BS press release from TWC trying to make themselves look good, and that they had no intention to follow up on it. They'd have to actually buy us new equipment for that, surely they wouldn't bother. Or maybe they would, but to really select areas.

After all, LA and NYC just got 100mbps. For those of us in AT&T territory, that in itself was pretty impressive.

Then we start hearing about the first markets to get Maxx. Real speed tests showing over 300mbps in SoCal. Nice! But would they really take this to the outskirts of the LA market, where the best you can do is 45mbps from AT&T U-verse? The answer appears to also be yes. I was a little floored to see Valencia so early on the rollout list, but here it is, today I have these amazing speeds.

The process of getting the replacement modem was surprisingly easy. Most people on the forum went to pick it up from the local TWC store with varying results. TWC notified me by email that the new speeds were available and to just click a link to have a new modem shipped to me. They fedexed it to me and it arrived 2 days later, with a pre-paid shipping label to return my old modem. The online activation process had issues, but was corrected with a quick, automated call to their activation hotline.

It's also worth noting that they enabled 16 channel downstream bonding and 4 channel upstream bonding just last week. I'm stunned that they went from plant upgrades to customer activations in such a short period of time!

The first speed test came back at 319/21. Whee!

TWC FINALLY does something edgy and impressive, but it's on their way out the door if Comcast successfully acquires them. Going out with a bang? Maybe we'll get really lucky and the merger will be blocked. In the meantime, I'll enjoy my new connection. Thanks TWC!

11/24/2013

BBR is nagging me to update my review. TWC just upgraded me to 100/5 service, so it's probably as good a time as any to do it.

The good:

My 50/5 service has been excellent and stable over the last two years. I work from home, and have been able to depend on this connection around the clock. I have not noticed peak-hour slowdowns; TWC seems to be doing a good job of keeping up with demand. TWC has pushed out updates to the SBG6580 that have resolved the issues I noted previously. A few months back they also released a ~10% speed boost, which helps ensure you get better-than-advertised speeds. All in, I'm seeing fairly consistent 113/5.5 speed tests, which is great. I've nudged up the reliability and value scores to reflect these experiences and updates. I'm also happy that TWC has continued to offer "unlimited" access.

The bad:

The downstream upgrade highlights that the upload speeds are in need of improvement. I'm afraid upload upgrades aren't in our near future. LA is still sitting without DOCSIS 3 upstream channel bonding enabled. TWC could also do a better job of communicating upgrades to customers. They sent me an email telling me I was upgraded to 100mbps, and to reboot my modem, but the actual upgrade didn't occur for a couple days. Tech support was not prepared for this email, and seemingly didn't know what to tell people to expect. Users in the TWC forum got a wide variety of answers, as if they were making stuff up.

These are definitely "first world problems" as some would put it. I'm very happy overall.

2/2/2012

I've had the service for a week now. Some issues:

1) The SBG6580 seems like a good device on the surface, but it's a terrible router. It seems to have a memory leak which causes speeds to gradually decline. In my case this would degrade my 50mbps service to no more than 30mbps after 48 hours. Speeds would resume after rebooting the modem. I had to dig out an old Buffalo router with DD-WRT to stop this from happening. I can't believe Motorola would put out such a buggy product, but at least there's a workaround.

2) When not inhibited by the modem, my speeds have been terrific. However, I've noticed the LA area suffers from increased pings (adding an additional 25ms of latency to all hosts) during peak hours (between 7-11). Looking at the RR_SOCAL DSLReports line monitors, this issue affects the majority of us in the LA territory. Gamers, stay away for now.

1/24/2012

Back in 2008 I left Road Runner for U-Verse Internet. Since then, U-verse has always had slightly faster speeds than Time Warner so I stuck with it.

Time Warner has been slow to roll out Docsis 3. But now that it's here, they seem to have a fairly unified strategy for their customers, which is good to see. For a long while, we had different speed tiers by zip code, with higher speeds in FiOS and FiOS adjacent neighborhoods.

Top speeds come at a big price tag. 50/5 for $99, unbundled. That's down from $109 a few months back. At this price point, I'd like to see higher uploads. I was also offered 30/5 for $59, which is much better bang for the buck, but I can't resist having the best.

I ordered via the web to get the free install. The next available appointment was over a week away. So after finishing the order I called to see if there were any earlier slots available. The first person I spoke with really botched things up. She said there was a $60 "wireless install charge" (huh?), and to avoid that changed my order to a standard 10/1 install and said I could upgrade later. Ugh. I called back and spoke to someone else who confirmed the mess she made, but said he couldn't give me the free install promo as it was a web only deal and she had invalidated that. He said the best bet was to delete the order and start over online. So I did. I called back Monday and this rep was able to change the date to the very next morning without any trouble at all. The whole process might not have been too big a deal if the automated phone system didn't insist that I was an out-of-state caller, and didn't keep dropping the call when trying to connect me to an agent.

The appointment was from 8-12. The tech arrived at 8:30. I think he was a little new, but he was polite and got the job done.

Speed tests have been bang on 51/5 every time. Pretty impressive. GrabIt was peaking around 6000KB/sec from EasyNews. Seems like it wasn't long ago when 600KB/sec was crazy fast. Road Runner has come a long way from the 1.5mbps service it started at here!

6/28/2008

No problems at all with this service. Time Warner decided to pull the newsgroup server. I completely understand why and accept that. However, it kept me from even considering other providers. Now what?

A news story in the Los Angeles Times a few months back lamented about the lack of HD channels on Time Warner. Time Warner promised to deliver 14 new channels by July 1. July came and now they're saying "Not until October." for my area.

Meanwhile, I'm looking at AT&T U-verse. They're going to pony up $200 cash back plus a free $75 month worth of TV. No contract. They also got Sci Fi HD and USA HD, two channels I've been wanting that TW has no plans to add (they're not even in the 14 that are supposedly coming). With AT&T practically willing to pay me to try their service out, why should I keep TW? I couldn't come up with a good answer. But to get TV you have to bundle internet, and that means giving up my Road Runner connection.

Road Runner has been 100% rock solid and reliable over the past year. I've really loved it. U-verse is technically a bit faster (10/1.5 vs. 10/1), although U-verse's internet has actually been slower than RR during peak hours. Rumors point to a 15/2 upgrade for Road runner eventually. Maybe when that comes I'll re-evaluate all this again.

1/23/2008

Gosh, has it been 6 months already? There's not much to report here. No news is good news. My connection has been flawless. I'm kind of hoping they'll bump us up to 15/2 at some point (perhaps in response to U-verse upgrades to 10/1.5) but my 10/1 connection is rocking for now. The included newsgroup server has slowed down quite a bit since I signed up, but it's still much better than what's offered by most other providers.

5/22/2007

Two week update. I have been thoroughly pleased with my decision to switch to Road Runner. The 10/1 speeds work flawlessly and my line monitor on BBR shows a solid, steady connection.

I almost forgot about the newsgroup server Road Runner has, but wow - the Los Angeles server is awesome! DSLExtreme offered 64KB/sec limited access to supernews. I can often pull the full 10 megabits from Road Runner's news server, and the retention seems to be at least as good as Easynews. Geez.

5/07/2007

This is not my first go at Road Runner, but it is my first experience with Time Warner Cable. Our cable system has been sold several times since I moved here in 98. I first signed up with MediaOne Road Runner in 2001. We were then sold to AT&T @Home, then to Comcast HSI, and now we've come full circle back to Time Warner Road Runner!

I've been using DSLExtreme for the last several years. Thanks to a nearby remote terminal, AT&T paired with DSLExtreme had been giving me great service and static IP through DSL. But AT&T is in the process of rolling out even newer service, and DSLExtreme wants *more* money per month with another 12 month commitment! I don't want to be stuck in another higher-priced contract with them when new options become available.

Looking over cable's offerings, I found out that Time Warner had increased the speeds to 10000/1000. Okay, so that's Optimum Online in 2001, but for Los Angeles, that's a record breaker. My very fist speed test: 9838/982. Yeah baby!

That's almost double what I was getting from DSLExtreme's premium offering. Great download speed AND upload speed. For less money than I was spending with DSLExtreme. As I type this review, I have a download going that's been at a rock solid 1.16MB/sec. If they can keep it running reasonably reliable, I'll stick with it! And if it ends up sucking, DSL is just a phone call away. No contracts is such a nice thing.

The only negative is what I expected, calling them is a pain in the butt. Tuns out I didn't need to bother. I just went down to the cable office, picked up the modem there and did a self install. It was so painless. I was up in minutes.

member for 14.1 years, 6930 visits, last login: a few hours ago