Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by xQim See Profile

• Location: Standish,Cumberland,ME
Good "Get Slightly Above Advertised Speed"
Bad "Monopoly, Tech Support Is Terrible, Upload Speeds Are In The Stone Age"
Overall "Get What You Pay For"

*09/09/2014*

Upgraded once again because EDLP is so slow. Youtube buffering is unacceptable. I purchased the Extreme (30Mbps/5Mbps) as I could not justify paying $20 extra for 20Mbps download. Now if it was 50Mbps/10Mbps which it should be, then I would have bought it. Anyways, I am satisfied with the service. It is peak hours with (3 other users) and I got above 30Mbps/5Mbps. I've been busy and lazy but I plan to dual-wan operate my business and residential account. So 31Mbps/5.5Mbps + 12Mbps/1.7Mbps roughly, should give me a nice 43Mbps/7.2Mbps (Multi-Sourced only). Cannot wait to see the results. Good work TWC! You finally did you're job and didn't mess things up. And, I got to talk to a woman who was actually knowledgable and spoke fluent English. Amazing!

I know it will happen but please, for the love of humanity, and by some miracle, don't let Comcast merge with TWC! PLEASE!

08/14/2014 *Update*

Downgraded once again to the Everyday Low Price: 2Mbps/1Mbps @ $14.99/Month. I get above advertised speed (2.20Mbps/1.10Mbps). My modem is still using 4 downstream and 4 upstream channels even at this low speed. Somehow my latency has dropped as well. It is what it is, which is sluggish. Depending on the webpage you can tell that it is slow as some sites contain a vast amount of data which causes web pages to have prolonged load times. Youtube and Netflix buffer, and buffer even more if just one more person is using the connection. All in all, I am getting above advertised, but still wish there was some competition. I have a dual-wan router and a quadruple-wan router. In the next couple of days I will load balance this package with my 10Mbps/1.5Mbps Business Connection. I'll post the speed tests. The other picture is the Business Class Connection: 10Mbps/1.5Mbps. The Business Class pricing is ridiculously expensive for the speeds you receive, but what do you expect when TWC is a monopoly, soon to be a mega monopoly called Comcast.

07/28/2014

I recently dropped my internet package from Ultimate 50Mbps/5Mbps (56Mbps/6Mbps) to the Standard Package 15Mbps/1Mbps (16Mbps/1.21Mbps). I did so because TWC was overcharging me for the Ultimate Package. I was quoted $64.99/Month, yet I got charged $89.99/Month. Trying to fix any issue over the phone with TWC is worthless unless you can speak five different languages, enjoy being on hold for long periods of time, and getting hung up on. So I went to the nearest office to dispute the charges. I told the woman there that I was being overcharged and that I was told it would be $64.99/Month. She said, "There is absolutely no way possible that the Ultimate Package was $64.99/Month. I told her to go to TWC website and low and behold I was right. Since TWC is a monopoly around here, I would only be able to receive that $64.99 price once and then it would go up to $89.99. At this point all logics are thrown out the window. Apparently $89.99/Month is a great deal because it usually costs $119.99/Month. I would never pay that so I started asking the prices of every package to which she would tell me the non promotional price. I ran down the list until Basic and said I want to cancel my service then. In order to not lose a customer she finally offered the Standard Package at its promotional price of $34.99/Month, which I agreed to. On speed tests I get 16Mbps/1.21Mbps. I get above advertised speeds but it is still a premium price for junk speed. I realize it could be worse.

TWC launched Roadrunner in 1995 with a 3Mbps/0.384Mbps package and was available in my area shortly thereafter. The price back then was $44.99/Month. The point I'm trying to make is that after 19 years the speeds have slowly gone up as well as the price. It shouldn’t take that long to upgrade. Since there is zero competition, there is no reason for them to upgrade anything. The “South Park” episode regarding cable is pretty much spot on.

The only reason I have TWC is because the only other option is 3Mbps/1Mbps unFaipoint DSL for $59.99/Month. That is not competition at all. I feel bad for the people on unFairpoint as I have used it before and every time I did, I never received the speeds advertised and the connection would drop everyday and my bandwidth would be cut in half for no reason everyday.

The only reason for 3 stars on Install is because I did it myself with my own modem.

No competition = Terrible Service.

Comments:

an0nny

@reliablehosting.com

your $200

you wont ever see it unless you can prove the installer took 2 modems of yours. i.e. video of him taking them.

this if you ever even had 2 modems extra and are not just trying to bad mouth twc.

its your word against their's and w/o any proof you wont get $200.

Re: your $200

I'm not bad mouthing TWC for the sake of it. I have three witnesses that saw them there and they were mysteriously gone after he finished. Also, Fairpoint had to come out to my house and install a new telephone box because the TWC employee destroyed the box. For what reason? Why would a cable company need to do anything with the telephone box? Umm gee, too stop the competition. So it is actually four individuals against one.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

SA

I wasn't there to see what happened, but since when are you able to purchase an SA modem and use it on the TWC Network. Those modems are generally LEASED and are not for sale.

Bobkatt

@rr.com

Re: SA

Out of curiosity I did a search and SA modems are for sale all over the Internet so they are not only "for lease"

Review by Packeteers See Profile

• Location: Forest Hills,Queens,NY
Good "all domestic sales and support"
Bad "intrusive IP activity monitoring"
Overall "no contract means low risk trying"

Feb'2012 post install feedback;

After a lot of procedural headaches with Verizon aDSL, I decided to give TWCable a try. I was impressed how technically savvy they were in sales, and how easy it was to reschedule install appointments and get more info.

The installer came on time, but was kind of a jerk; instead of putting in a $3 video:data splitter on to my existing CATV cable, he spliced a coupler out in the hallway cable tray to run the new cable to my computer, left the old CATV cable without a connector - so he basically left a mess for the next guy who may later upgrade me for HDTV, and added more unnecessary DB loss on my line for future DOCSIS3 upgrading.

more bad luck as the first new RCA model DCM425 modem he tried had a DOA Ethernet port, and he got testy with me when i proved to him it was not my computer by showing a twinkling ethernet NIC card light while attached to my old Verizion Westell 7500 modem. I think these installers are so used to dealing with 80yo great grandmothers who just want to email their kids, that when a tech savvy customer comes along that questions their modus operandi, they can get easily flustered. I later discovered the working modem he left me was actually used for the past 6 Months according to the modems own EventLog.

My download order rating was 10mbps but I'm often seeing 12-16mbps during non primetime hours, and around 7-10mbps during primetime. my Latency to the 3rd Hop is 15-25ms, which seems impressive for a Broadband ISP.

* I knew on order I would get only 0.5mbps upload, but I'm pretty bummed out on how much that low latency bandwidth makes Video chat, VoIP, online games and even forum posting feel sluggish compared to the low Latency 0.8mbps upload I enjoyed with Verizon aDSL. I suspect the upload is compressed by the ISP, making it even more problematic for certain upload intensive applications.

Getting a new dynamic public IP is more cumbersome than it was on my Verizon aDSL modem, but at least it's possible if you have a router to alternate your mac address with your pc's mac.

wideband 30/5 DOCSIS3 is offered here for $20/mo more, so I may upgrade once I grow more confident in TWCable stability and reliably especially during primetime hours. I'll reevaluate in 3-6 months, and change my worst-best scores as they merit it: »testmy.net/quickstats/spypet

Mar'2012 first Month feedback;

* My upload seems to have been increased to 1mbps, download averages over 10mbps, and Latency is a respectable 20ms, so I'm very pleased with the performance and reliability thus far. I'm able to trip DHCP into giving me a new IP address by alternating between my PC's MAC and my extra Router's MAC address, and I find that ability comforting. now that my upload feels increased, I notice fewer upload compression symptoms, and upload intensive applications are more responsive.

I used online chat tech support for the first time, and am sad to report the live person seemed more interested in running through some unrelated diagnostic script that only demonstrated to me he had no real technical understanding of my question. I eventually found the answer I needed elsewhere just googling around for it.

Torrent users should be aware that TWCable seems very intrusive of such activity even if all you do is grab some TV episode you just missed, so a good third party Proxy/VPN or SeedBox is advised to protect your privacy and net neutrality. Since my 15/1 line cost me less than I was paying the far less intrusive Verizon, I don't mind paying someone else extra for a LeaseWeb based anonymizing service.

May'2012 deterioration:

My average speed has decreased from over 14/1 to 9/1 for no reason, but that is still near the 10/1 of Standard service speed. My area suffers a few hours of ISP service outage every 2 Months.

June'2012 intermittent:

I'm averaging 12/1 but my connection to the internet seems to lock up, and even though the activity lights look normal, i'm forced to power cycle the modem to get back on the web just about every other day.

Aug'2012 back on track:

I finally insisted TWCable do a premise visit by a Tech, not an installer. he could not find anything specifically wrong but swapped out my original install RCA modem for a Ubee. ever since then my line has been more consistent and I have not needed to power cycle my new modem.

Nov'2012 spotty routing:

I bought my own $28 factory reconditioned sb5101u docsis2 modem to avoid the monthly lease fee, and also benefited from a recent free speed increase given to all Standard plans.

I regret not getting a docsis3 but the few on their support list were over $100. It's a shame TWCable made us buy our own modems, since now it's far less likely I'll try their 30/5 wideband plan once my first year ends in

Feb'2013.

so now i'm enjoying 20/1 offpeak 15/1 peak with 2.0MB/s average instead of 1.2MB/s. routing issues continue to be TWCable's weak point, as I often get better connectivity to US sight while on my European VPN then I do right off my public IP domestically. with FiOS still a year away from being build up on my block, I'm glad for the speed and ability TWCable gave me to help keep things affordable.

April'2013 intermittent speed:

I suffered for a few weeks with poor routing and bad speed, so I called Tier 1 who escalated me to Tier 3, and all he saw as a just below threshold coax signal, so he ordered a premise visit. On my own volition, I changed the MAC of the device connected to my modem, power cycled and got a new dynamic public IP assigned to my modem. Sure enough that solved my problem as my speed and routing was back to normal, so I cancelled the premise visit - now I know to try this when I see similar symptoms. My guess is TWC somehow assigned two devices on their network the same IP, so we were both getting each other's packet traffic. I'm still tempted to upgrade to a docsis3 30/5 service - just waiting for confirmation from any local resident that my area enjoys 8/4 channel bonding. I continue to use a Romanian VPN provider for all P2P/Torrent traffic and regularly enjoy 1Mb/s transfer rates, so I can download an hour long 460p TV show in 6 minutes.

September'2013 intermittent modem resets:

My SB5101u docsis2 modem was rebooting every time I used over 60% of my bandwidth for more than 10 minutes. TWCable was willing to do a premise visit, but I suspected that a SB6141 docsis3 modem would fix the problem. my old docsis2 modem had out of date firmware that TWCable no longer would push updates to, and i suspected all the docsis3 upgrading to my local network was causing any out of date docsis2 equipment to grow unstable under stress. It seems my suspicious were correct as all my problem seem to clear up once my SB6141 was activated in it's place. After some brutal long duration download sessions the new modem stays on rock solid and I'm currently enjoying 8/4 down/up bound channels and low packet loss 16/1 speeds. The 20/1 speed I enjoyed for free 6 Months ago is gone as of July'13 as is all power boost caching. TWCable's CEO said we may all get a 10% speed increase to make it up to subscribers for their second lease fee increase from $4 to $6. when I notice that take effect I will update my review page here.

It's just a shame I didn't buy this SB6141 Oct'2012 when TWCable started charging lease fees, so I recommend anyone even if your service is 3mb or 15mb to still invest in a good docsis3 modem, since docsis2 equipment may no longer get up to date support by TWCable's network.

September'2014 IP & MAXX

In February Channels in use increase from 4:4 to 8:4, In June I agreed to pay more for 20/2 Turbo service. Early September TWC changed my IP and a week later I saw the MAXX increase: »i.imgur.com/0tST0LO.jpg but my firmware revision remains at Mar 12 2013, still no IPv6 support, and actual MB/s throughput is close to the 5x MAXX promised. I'm pleased with this free upgrade, but am worried it will cost me more next year once Comcast takes over - as I consume an average of 400GB per Month.

member for 9.2 years, 3998 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
xQim

4 edits

Call Tech Support

Xtreme Package
Something is seriously wrong. I have a Residential Xtreme Package (30Mbps/5Mbps) which I get a steady 32Mbps/6Mbps + my expensive Business Package of (10Mbps/1.5Mbps) which i get 11Mbps/1.7Mbps. There is no reason that your speeds are that low. Are you using a 5MHz - 1000MHz splitter. How many splitters? Are you using an approved DOCSIS 3.0 modem? What gauge coaxial cable are you using to the modem and input line? Just trying to help.

Using a DOCSIS 2.0 modem for anything above Standard is a big no no. Bandwidth is all over the place plus tons of drops.

I am using a Motorola SB6141 and running 8 Downstream and 4 Upstream channels (Residential). Power Levels are perfect. Maybe check those? 192.168.100.1 and post the results.

Business Line is running a DOCSIS 2.0 Modem. Levels again are prefect.

And buy a Motorola SB6141 which can be had for $99 at Walmart. You will not regret it, plus you will save $8 in rental fees for a modem that is not suitable for your connection. Ubee is junk.

Here is a picture of what Xtreme should be.

Also attached is my Business Line, which seems to be well above advertised.

Review by craig_cady See Profile

• Location: New Braunfels,Comal,TX

Long term Time Warner Cable Customer. Have had annual connectivity issues. Now am monitoring full time through DSLreports. I have almost daily packet loss issues in the late afternoon and early evening. No issues otherwise. TWC has responded in a reasonable amount of time for repairs including an amazing 2 hour response on a Saturday after we kept having signal loss to the modem after temperatures rose late in the day.

I would switch to ATT but there internet acess speeds are more expensive than TWC.

Comments:

Review by bbohne See Profile

• Location: Hinckley,Medina,OH
Good "When it works it works well."
Bad "tech support & service suck."
Overall "TWC SUCKS"

Have had the service for two years and had worked well but can not get tech support or service people to fix the problem of no service. I have tried to work with them for four weeks and still have no internet. Have now ordered ATT fiber optic for $20 dollars less per month and faster service. I would not deal with TWC again even if they were the last provider on earth.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:
etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX

Laughable

quote:

The fiber to the press release trolls are starting to show up in internet forums. Post pictures of your 'fiber optic' installation.

Re: Laughable

said by etaadmin:

quote:

If he had the service for two years than AT&T likely could give him a lower rate and well there tech support is the worst in the cable. Even more so than Comcast right at the bottom.

AT&T has been telling TWC customers that they will do fiber on new installs, but I have no idea if they are telling the truth or not.
etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX

Re: Laughable

said by why60loss:

If the lame poster doesn't have fiber already he is not likely to get fiber any time 'soon' (next ten years... if ever) Basically it is fiber to the press release and everybody knows that.

AT&T is the poster child for lying to customers and government officials. I'm waiting for at&t to install fiber (gigapower) in my home in the mean time I'm going to stick with TWC's 300/20 to go live by the end of the year.

Review by ipwn3r456 See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Full speeds almost all the time, pricing isn't that bad."
Bad "TWO billing mistakes, with occasional connectivity issues."
Overall "Well, it connects to the internet. But I still wish for competition."

I am using their Standard tier internet (originally 10/1, later upgraded to 15/1, and now the 10% provisioning is more of 16.3/1.1), originally paying $29.99. But since my promotion ends in one year, they continued to give me an another promotion, but pricing increased to $36.99 (without taxes, modem fees, etc.), I am fine with that... for now.

I ordered internet online, and process is pretty smooth. Although the technician came in a few minutes late(I think the appointment was around 10am-12pm, the technician came around 12:05pm). First he checked the cables outside, and drilled a hole so the cable can go through. He installed an Ambit modem (forgot the model number), which now I am using my own modem, Motorola SB6141. Everything went smooth, until when the technician was about to leave, my neighbor came out and told the technician that he disconnected his TV cable. The technician quickly installed a splitter, and no problems.

Overall I am fine with my internet speeds, no outages, no slow-downs (almost all the time), and I am pretty fine with it. Although I want competition. Besides TWC, only AT&T serves in our area as well. But they are only offering up to 1.5mbps DSL, which is completely irreverent in terms of speeds and pricing. I would want AT&T to have Uverse coverage in our area, not because I want to switch back, it's because I want competition in case if TWC soars up prices on me.

Update 12/4/13 - Time Warner keep charging me for modem rental, even though I have been using my SB6141 for more than a month. The lady over the live chat was nice enough to remove the fee. So I guess another problem solved. But seriously Time Warner, fix your billing systems. It looks like the billing system is more "profit" wise than accuracy. This is already the second mistake Time Warner did. The first time was charging me for installation fee even though it was free. And I am dropping the pre-sales 25% lower because of that.

Update 12/16/13 - During the past few days, my internet connection was pretty terrible. I am getting over 200ms+ ping, and also packet loss. Speed was also dramatically decreased, making it a terrible browsing experience. Because of that, I am dropping connection reliability 25% lower.

Update 4/9/14 - Everything is still fine, getting full speeds almost all the time, maybe with the exception of peak times. I will have to see about pricing changes after my 2nd year promotion (which ends in august), plus the upcoming MAXX upgrades (if it ever happens in my area).

Update 6/16/14 - Connection problems are getting worse lately. I don't know what is going on, but I am getting packet losses/high ping issues, sometimes few times a week, sometimes as worse as few times a day... can't even play any online games with my connection. For this, I am taking off another 25% from connection reliability. Might have to contact TWC about this if this keeps happening. No TWC MAXX upgrades yet, still sticking with 8 download channels and 1 upload channel.

Update 7/31/14 - Just upgraded to Turbo as a part of negotiation, since they are going to charge me $50 for standard, so I called their retention department and the promotional price for turbo is all they can offer me. I said yes, and saved $5 a month, for now. I should be more aggressive next time when I am negotiating with TWC. No TWC MAXX upgrades yet, but we will see how it goes later this year.

member for 1.1 years, 520 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
mbreyer

join:2013-11-14

Los Angeles, CA

Re: .

said by mbreyer:

sir that is the competition. they just aren't competing very well

Yep, typical monopoly in the telecommunications. And the politicians just doesn't give a damn about it.

FreeBSDuser

join:2013-05-15
Somers, NY

Alternatives

Looking at your address, you may be able to get Sonic.net, DSL Extreme (resold Sonic.net), Webpass, and Earthlink Cable (resold TWC).
ipwn3r456

join:2013-07-31
Los Angeles, CA

Re: Alternatives

said by FreeBSDuser:

I do know that sonic.net is available in my area, but I live 10000 feet away from the CO... I don't think I can get fast speeds from that range.

Review by ElJay See Profile

• Location: Portland,Cumberland,ME
Good "Speed is what I ordered"
Bad "Ordering and install took hours on the phone, reliability declining"
Overall "Now that it is going, I hope it just works"

Update September 7, 2014: The past couple of weeks have not been good for reliability. I woke up and found myself affected by TWC's national outage on August 27, and last night my internet was out for 6.5 hours. If I had another option for broadband, I would gladly take it.

_____________

I recently moved and sadly Time Warner Cable is the only broadband option in my new location. I am too far away from the central office for any usable DSL and I do not have line of sight to connect to our local WISP.

The sales and ordering process was not good. I called to establish TV and internet service. The previous occupants of the house had recently cancelled service, which left a work order out there that was somehow blocking me in Time Warner's system from signing up for new service. The guy on the phone tried to clear it, but he couldn't do anything until we waited an hour and it filtered out of the system. I called back an hour later, somehow got the same guy again, and we continued where we left off. It still took another forty five minutes on the phone to get to the point of done because of various system difficulties they seemed to be experiencing.

I decided to bring my own modem which I purchased off of their approved modem list, which allows me to avoid their $6/mo modem lease fee. In retaliation for this decision, it took over an hour on the phone with them to activate my modem. I was passed between seven different people. After forty seven minutes on the line, one of them deliberately hung up on me because he supposedly couldn't hear me. Before that I was transferred erroneously to the billing department. One person didn't seem to understand the difference between a modem and a cable box. Across all of these different people, I had to tell each one the phone number on my account and at least four different people the MAC address on the modem. Luckily, for the last guy I was dealing with, I eventually found a slip of paper I received when I got my cable box that had my account number on it. This tidbit of information seemed to be the gateway to getting activated. This last guy still took twenty minutes to get it working, but at least their network actually let me pass data now.

The speed is very solid and matches what I ordered. I just hope that I never have to call them up again.

join:2014-01-06

Fiendishly clever plan to stonewall BYOM provisioning.

It does seem that they were annoyed that you chose to BYOM, and it wouldn't surprise me for one second that TWC makes it difficult to provision your own modem hoping that after a few failed tries you will submit to renting one of their own. Utter bullshite if you ask me, and very deliberate.

I would have called their executive office and told them about your experience, it isn't rocket science to provision a modem.

join:2003-09-20

Re: Fiendishly clever plan to stonewall BYOM provisioning.

You do have another option. unFairpoint. Good luck with there awesome, yet terrible service.

Review by antdude See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Good speeds and uptimes."
Bad "Sometimes technical problems on their ends like outages, firmware problems with modems, support, prices go up every year, etc."
Overall "Good when it works."

I used to have Excite@Home (early 2001 with brand new cable lines since this old nest never had cable before) and Adelphia PowerLink for broadband Internet before they went bust and TWC took over. During those early days since 3/10/2001 for several years sucked badly (DNSes didn't work, uptimes and speeds (e.g., 150 kB/sec during the early morning hours) were awful, etc.). Adelphia finally upgraded their cable system to be DOCSIS in the city, and it was fast and stable! And then, they went out of business.

TWC reused the same cable system. Once in a while, there are outages (usually short ones), slow speeds, etc. Very rare, there are long ones. I think the longest uptime was almost all daytime, but TWC will make up for the time loss of your next bill if you tell them especially if it is a known issue in the area. Support can be bad though due to incompetent people. However, there are forums and chats on TWC's web site, avsforum, and on this web site with people (official and subscribers) who can help through online supports.

Note that I still can't get any fast and cheap broadband services (e.g., DSL is too far due to 20K feet to CO according to GTE and Verizon). Also, no FIOS. Dial-up sucks (3 KB/sec) and lots of line noises.

Also, my old nest's service ended on 9/5/2014 afternoon PDT. I am still using TWC in the new nest with its triple bundled service. The review is pretty much the same (no DSL [used to have it too with the previous owners]). Prices still keep going up!

member for 13.5 years, 5614 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

antdude
United State

No one likes my review, eh?

:P

·Verizon Wireless..

Your review is about right

Though help on this site doesn't do any good if the techs in your area just flat out suck and not trained on HSI service. It's not like the freaking customer can replace the line from the house to the node with in reason. Get trash support on that and well your just screwed. Corporate is 100% useless at TWC. Online chat is useless and phone support is on the other side of this earth and even more useless because at least one can mostly understand chat support even if there full of BS.

Now a oddly happy Comcast customer because at lest the local techs aren't 100% clueless and have there own laptops to test with unlike the overly cheap TWC.

I thought Comcast was worse? I guess I will find out after the merger happens.

A lot say that, but haven't had both in the past two years like me, so I have seen how both run unlike most posters.

The Comcast tech replaced my line and had his own PC to run test, the Time Warner cable tech had his two eyes, a hammer and a beat up old truck with limited TV know how and internet was like on some other planet to him. (Didn't understand what tethering a cellphone was and if that worked and TWC didn't then the PC was likely fine. Had no understanding of signal levels at all nor did he get why a bunch of 404/ 1min load times for web pages was bad. Didn't get that up to doesn't mean 1mbs on a 10mbs plan should be okay. Didn't get what internet speed meant at all really. And wanted $100 for a "BS call".)

I thought Comcast was worse? I guess I will find out after the merger happens.

Interesting. Adelphia and TWC install guys seems OK for my parents and me. I never had to have anyone come over to fix issues. I do agree support sucks on phone and online.

said by antdude:

The funny part was that the Time warner cable tech wanted me to prove that the PC could in fact use and work with the internet before he would do anymore and that if I called again it would cost me so then when I showed him the PC tethered to the phone, he said "so it is working and you called me out here for BS. Your going to have to pay for that".

The levels of stupid, just never stopped amazing me.
OpTiC

join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA
The TWC techs uses a loptop but it's a Panasonic.

DrDrew
That others may surf
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

Re: Your review is about right

Panasonic Toughbooks are common with telcom workers and others working outdoors needing a tougher computer. I had one several years ago.
You cannot fix a problem that you refuse to acknowledge.

Review by Matt_31 See Profile

• Location: Jasper,Dubois,IN
Good "70% Uptime Since takeover from Insight BB"
Bad "Failure times can be problematic, support and hardware availability poor"
Overall "When working it can be a great service but if problems it can be a real pain."

·Insight Communic..
9-7-14

Time Warner Took over from Insight BB, and did some upgrades that were badly needed and it has helped service for over the last year. However it was a big nightmare. They sent us discount offerings and deals and our area refused to offer them and I couldn't get a hold of anyone to enforce something they were offered as you were required to have a TWC email. Which while we did, it didn't recognize our area as twc. I was very pissed. Anytime you call to talk to a supervisor you get the they are busy and will call you back in 24 hour. DON'T fall for this as THEY NEVER do. I have filled sooo many complaints about this and nothing was ever done. I still to this day I have yet to hear from someone about it and its been almost a year. Finally I did get a hold of something in corporate and they made the local office region enforce the deal offering that was sent to us (and everyone in our area). I never once got a apology. Also this summer my Cablecard fried and they tried to replace it with a single channel card. I had to go through hell and act of congress to get a multichannel one. According to corporate they were not to even have the single cards. I was called a liar and other things so I called the corporate office of Cablecards right in the tech office on my cell phone (since they refused to) and they chewed out the crew there ON MY CELL. I got a whole whopping $17 discount. After the time and energy I went through I felt my bill should have been free. Let along they had to ship me a new cablecard and I had to wait a WEEK. For the card.

My thing is you shouldn't need to call or talk to support. I am a tech person myself and I know much more than the general public and I understand most problems are human/hardware errors. So Just simple things can make the difference. However most of the time in my cases (as my neighbors and family) it has not be these general problems. Now after a year of being with Time Warner we are going to be with some other company due to another buy out. If we had reasonable internet options I would take it however out there we don't. I would take direct tv in a second. However this leaves us without the proper reasonable internet. There has been talk about our local area making its own internet and im all for it if they do.

Comments:
why60loss

join:2012-09-20

I agree with this review

There support is a stay at the non-service hotel and it's take it our way or we do it all to you.

Review by Quasar009 See Profile

• Location: USA

July 29, 2014 Ubee router.

Comments:
Quasar009

join:2014-09-04
USA

Tech Support

11:29 A.M. EDT
Sat.
Sept. 6, 2014

They are trying to help me.

Review by voltara See Profile

• Location: Buffalo,Erie,NY
Good "Reliable connection, stable speeds, good customer service"
Bad "No longer competitive"
Overall "A solid choice, but consider your options first"

I was a loyal Turbo tier (20/2) subscriber for nearly 10 years. Aside from the occasional early morning blip due to network maintenance, I had very few problems with my connection during that time.

Customer service and technical support were always helpful and friendly, both in person (at the TWC Store a block away from me) and over the phone (I work upstairs from one of TWC's call centers, and their 800 number would invariably route me there. And yes, they were helpful and friendly even before I mentioned that to them!) With many large companies offshoring their support departments, it's refreshing to deal with local people.

I gave a low mark for pre-sales information because they don't tell you what their service actually costs - all they show you are the introductory rates which are only good for the first year. The lack of transparency in pricing is inexcusable.

Also, the idea of jacking up prices after a year boggles my mind - what better way to encourage customer turnover? Instead, they should offer a loyalty discount. If they did, I would still be a customer today.

So what made me jump ship? Competition. I could get 25/25 from Verizon (undiscounted) for the same price I was paying TWC for 20/2. And the 75/75 that I'm getting from Verizon now? There's simply no comparable offering from TWC, and my city is not even on the roadmap for their Maxx network upgrade.

Would I come back as a customer? Sure, but first TWC has a lot of catching up to do in both product and price. (Of course, they'll need to pull ahead of the competition, because why else would I bother?)

member for 144 days, 22 visits, last login: a few hours ago