Optimum Online page on DSLReports

Review by actor90 See Profile

• Location: Jackson,Ocean,NJ
Good "Reliable high speed internet, no data caps, decent television and phone."
Bad "The price is extremely high, phasing out of mechanical DVR's for cloud exclusive DVR service."
Overall "High price, good services, excellent customer service."

------UPDATE 10-27-2014------

After the one year triple play deal expired the price shot up from 163 dollars to an astronomical 218 dollars. There was no way Cablevision would negotiate any lower a price. This is due to the new policy at Cablevision to not give triple play deals beyond the first one. Comcast was always willing to make great deals to loyal long term customers, unfortunately Cablevision doesn't subscribe to that philosophy any longer.

As for the services I receive, they are very good. There is slight issues with the ancient cable boxes Optimum supplies, and a few channels do not have the best signal quality. Though I am told this is being worked on. The signal quality on the internet had a few hiccups, but overall it is reliable service with full speeds and no bottle necks.

------ORIGINAL REVIEW------

I just moved to Optimum territory and the transition was smooth and seamless. Cablevision provides excellent service at a lower price then any of their competitors. They are now giving Ultra101 speeds for $39.90. The official speeds on that package are 101Mbps down/ 35Mps up. I am consistently getting 119 down and 37 up. No one can beat that.

As far as their digital TV service goes it is excellent providing just about every channel you could desire. The only slight issue I have is Optimum phasing out the mechanical hard drive style DVR's for cloud based DVR service. I love both, and think both fit together perfectly, removing the mechanical DVR's from the equation lessens the value of the service. Other then that small issue I find Optimum service to be the best I have ever had. I highly recommend doing business with Optimum.

Comments:

Review by Millwood See Profile

• Location: Millwood,Westchester,NY
Good "It's quite reliable and fast enough"
Bad "Absurdly expensive over all - mostly because of the TV"
Overall "I'm not ready to try FIOS but ..."

·Optimum Voice
Above says it all.

member for 12.5 years, 1910 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by vliscony See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
Good "value prop"
Bad "The internet speeds are not up to par"
Overall "Reasonable budget service"

I have a triple play package with the ultra 50 Internet option.

For some reason the internet speeds deteriorate on my wired connection when the WiFi Router is plugged in, but recently they gave me a new router, an AC1750 (D-link DIR-868L), and with that the coverage is better throughout my apt, and I'm now getting 30/30 on my wireless connections (android phone, iPad, Kindle, etc), and 20-40 down and 10 up on my wired connection to my PC, which is at least tolerable.

With the first router, I could never get past 25 down and 5 up on my wired connection with the router plugged in, so this new model was quite an improvement. The phone service has been fine, and the TV is reasonable. I'm not a heavy TV user anyway, but it seems to work fairly well.

In all I got better performance from Verizon FIOS, but it was not worth the price, and most annoyingly, everytime they change one thing, they make you sign for another 2 years, which feels like you're a dog on a leash, and you get yanked back everytime you see something interesting. Optimum has been a pleasure to deal with.

Comments:
andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

Something must be wrong!

Might be worth complaining about those speeds, you should be able to get close to 60/30 on both wired and wireless!

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28

Cablevision Contracts?

Were you talking about Verizon requiring a contract or Cablevision?

Review by jaa See Profile

• Location: New Canaan,Fairfield,CT
Good "Unmatched speed, great price, great support"
Overall "Best value anywhere"

·Vonage
These guys are the best. Caps are 10megabits down, and 1megabit up. I've never had speed slowdowns - consistent 9500/950 speeds. They do put some limits on you if you upload huge amounts - does not affect me.

Had the service for over 7 years, no significant problems or downtime.

Update: They raised the caps to 15/2!! No increase in price. I get consistent 13.5/1.8 speeds.

Update: They eliminated "capping" where they used to limit your upload speed to 150kbps if you uploaded a lot.

Update: Still working great!! No issues.

Update May, 2009: Been about 9 years. Not had any problems - consistent speeds, rare outages.

Update November, 2009: Still going strong. Moved to a new address, transfer went fine.

Update September, 2010: 10 years and still rock solid.

Update November, 2011: Speeds are still "advertised" 15/2, but I get consistent 20/2 speeds with Docsis 3 and 5 bonded download channels on base tier.

Update August, 2012: Consistent 20/2 speeds. Service is awesome! Also taking advantage of the wifi hotspots - now I'm never at the limit of my smartphone data plan.

Update March, 2013: Great speeds. Lowered my cell data plan since I am using less and less since I connect to wifi hotspots a lot.

Update August, 2014: 55/25 speeds on upgraded tier ($5/mo extra). Don't "need" the speeds, but very nice now and then when upload pictures or downloading ISOs.

member for 14.3 years, 6745 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by momcat1 See Profile

• Location: Wappingers Falls,Dutchess,NY
Good "better than dialup, few total outages"
Bad "frequent dropouts, hard to get service issues addressed"
Overall "we have no other choice for high speed; they're getting worse!"

We have no other options for high speed here, so we're captives.
We have regular Optonline, with iO and Opt Voice
Intermittent low signal associated problems, ongoing since 2002. Not resolved.

Update Dec 2008: Outside techs did spend several concurrent months this year, and for the most part it does now work. Video dropouts rare, but internet and phone still occasionally dropout just long enough to lose your conversation or your download. It is better than previously. It just seems that for the money, it should be nearly flawless.

Update Aug 2009: nothing new to report, other than rate increases.

Update Dec 2011:business as usual, it is what it is. You regulars are familiar with CV's MO.

Update Aug 2014:by accident, we found the only thing that has stopped the audio and video artifacting - a Sony Google box. Putting that inline, between the STB and our sound system has made an improvement by 98%. And in case you think it's a coincidence- the Google box had to be returned for a warranty replacement last month. During the whole two weeks we didn't have one, the artifacting was again horrible. As soon as I added the replacement Google box, the atrifacting disappeared. No change of cables. I don't know what that box if filtering exactly, but it makes cable watchable again. The box does other fun stuff, too.
This year we absolutely couldn't take the incessant price increases (let's call a spade a spade) and paying for content we have no interest in watching. We cut the tv package down by 4 tiers.

member for 12 years, 1748 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Unusual.

Wow, that's definitely not the optimum I know.
I have a friend that has them and loves it. And I would too -if I could get it.

Review by bobmay See Profile

• Location: Trenton,Mercer,NJ

In MHO Optimum blows Fios out of the water.

Comments:

Review by smw315 See Profile

• Location: Edison,Middlesex,NJ
Good "Reliability, speed, prompt and professional service, cost"
Bad "None that I can think of, except for rare service outage (4 in 3 years)"
Overall "Good service, friendly staff. Overall rating on scale of 1-10 = 9"

I haven't had a bad experience yet, except for 2 short service downtime occurrences in the past year.

Service and technical staff is very responsive, friendly and knowledgeable.

Service speed is beautiful; but then again, I don't violate the Terms of Service either.

Overall rating = OK

member for 12.2 years, 5476 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dm145 See Profile

• Location: Clifton,Passaic,NJ
Good "Consistent speeds, many wifi hot spots"
Bad "No complaints"
Overall "Great value and options after tier upgrades 15/5, 50/25 and 101/35"

Currently enjoying Ultra 50 (50/25) for OOL price of 49.95 for another year as part of new promo!

member for 4.8 years, 1732 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

Sounds like you need a Docsis 3 modem

You should contact CV for your slow speeds. Sounds like a Docsis 3 modem is all you need.
dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
·Optimum Online

Re: Sounds like you need a Docsis 3 modem

Figured that, wish I could just go to walk in and swap. Tried calling last night, got tired of waiting. Not looking forward to run around from "tech" support. Everyone seems to know what causes speed issues but we still have to jump through hoops to get what we pay for.

Edit:
Called this morning and after waiting over ten minutes had to schedule tech visit. We both knew I needed a D3 modem but still need a tech to come out, hopefully with a D3 modem.
Recluse

join:2001-10-30
Randolph, NJ

Re: Sounds like you need a Docsis 3 modem

I had a tech come out and of course he was there mid-day when speeds were OK. They dropped to 2 Mbps 15 min after he left.

I asked him about the possibility of a Docsis 3 modem and he said it wouldn't help as the SBV5222 uses the same frequencies.

I am getting to the end of my rope here. As much as I DESPISE Verizon and all they stand for, if FIOS can deliver decent speeds at times I am actually HOME, I might have to make the switch.

They keep telling me "we haven't had any other complaints from your neighborhood". I guess I may have to go door to door and find neighbors with Optimum, get them to run a speed test and call to complain.
tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

$

Just sign up for FIOS for 6 months.. then they'll probably give you boost plus for less.. 50/8...
dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

Re: $

not available in my area

Review by kdshapiro See Profile

• Location: Eatontown,Monmouth,NJ
Good "Very fast speed and above average reliability. Customer service is excellent."
Bad "Telephone help line routing system could be improved"
Overall "Very satisfied with overall service"

April 2014:
Still satisfied with the service which has been stable, except for a small recent outage. Ultra 101 service is fairly stable without any major changes in speed since the rollout last year.

Nov 2013:

Cablevision came after service call complaining of internet drop outs. They found a bad splitter. After replacing the splitter the issue was resolved. Very satisified with optimum voice, high def picture quality and internet service.

July 2013:

Just got new tier service at 101/35. Still pleased with Cablevision products and when needed, their customer support has been excellent.

Nov 2012:

Hurricane Sandy update. Was without power, as a lot of others, for two weeks. I entered the outage information on Cablevisions website and they promptly issued a prorata adjustment. Gotta give them credit where credit is due.

April 2012:

Since last review, service has been solid.

With Boost +, speeds have been very consistent. Testing 60/8 almost consistently. Modem is an SBV6220 with two Optimum Voice phone numbers.

I upgraded the house to the new Gold package. To make a long story short, the Optimum App was not able to play the new channels. I called tech support, cablevision said it was a line issue, Scheduled an appointment; the tech was here on time. Tech spent 2.5 hours, troubleshooting what was essentially a setup issue on the account, and resolved the issue.

What really set this tech over the top is, in making sure all of the TVs were getting good reception and receiving the proper channels, he noticed an issue on one TV. He wound up by fixing some cabling under the deck. This issue was not related to the original call. I actually wrote a letter of commendation to Cablevision about this guy.

December 2011:

Service has been pretty solid, with some limited downtime during the summer that was an annoyance at best. Added Boost+ since March. Total cost for service is now at $260, but includes 4 boxes, 3 of which are DVR. Gold plus package. Optimum voice and Boost +. Internet performance for the most part ranges from acceptable (35MBs) to excellent (58MBs).

The Optimum app for iphone has turned out to be very useful for scheduling on the fly recordings when you are not home, but thought you would be.

With Boost + I think Ultra is overpriced for most people.

March 2011:

Nothing out of the ordinary has changed since last review. Maybe one or two system outages that I can recall. I updated to Boost Plus, pretty much solid 50+/8+ on the speed tests.

The few times I called tech support dialing 611 from Optimum Voice makes it nice and easy to jump right into the queue.

I like tech support and don't remember excessive wait times.

September 2010:

Nothing out of the ordinary has changed since last review. Speeds have been consistent. I continue to be satisified with the service and the price point at which it is offered.

June 2010:

Nothing much has changed since May 2009. Within the last two months speeds have been extremely erratic. I made a service call, a Cablevision employee came right on time. Ended up replacing the modem with an a new SBV6220. Tech was very thorough. Speeds are now back to normal.

Other than this blip there have been no other issues with the service.

May 2009:
Triple play recently ended, No major outages to speak of since last review. Speed is consistent. Thinking of ordering ULTRA.

Dec 2008:
It's been about 7 months since the account has had the triple play for $185.

OV quality has been excellent. Internet service with Boost has seen a upload speed bump from 4.6mb to 5.2mb.

OOL for the last several years has had excellent uptime records and service since last review has been excellent.

Area has had a number of power outages and the cable modem is protected via ups. However, Cablevision should throw the battery pack into their VOIP modems for free, for those customers whose equipment is not protected. Why do they make you spend $40 on a batter?

May 2008:
Got OV, ported one copper number to OV, Cablevision gave me Triple Play. Installation went without a hitch. Tech found issue in feed to house from box and reran feed. Cablevision came a few days later to bury the cable. Netting everything together saving about $30/month.

Speeds have been great, service has been great.

Prior review:

In the area I live OOL is the exclusive provider. So it's a good thing the service is great. The account has Boost for $10/month. Policies recently have changed to uncap downloads. Rumor mill has it uploads might be increased to 10mb. That's more upload bandwidth than I was getting when I ordered OOL 7 years ago.

At my current location I had OOL come out for service visits twice. Both visits were handled professionally, with the techs doing exactly what we asked. I've been to the walk-in centers a number of times for different reasons, they sales staff was courteous and handled the requests quickly.

I've never had a problem with tech support, and have used them a few times. They were always willing to help and were very courteous.

Biggest complaint is with the telephone routing system, thank goodness I don't need to use it often.

Bottom line: TV and internet cost $195/month with gold package, Boost, 2 non DVR converters and 2 DVR converters. A bit pricey, but we are satisified with the service.

Comments:

Review by Play See Profile

• Location: Freeport,Nassau,NY
Good "Excellent downloads, constantly upgrading service."
Bad "TV Service has some issues"
Overall "OOL is the best cable ISP in the country!"

I have used OOL for a number of years and I say without a shadow of doubt that OOL is the best ISP ever!!! I installed it myself in no time at all, and the downloading speeds are astronomical! The tech support is not bad but then again, there's not many problems with the service itself. Being that they are now even going to fiber-optic cable, that improves it even more!! There were times I've peaked a download speed of over 100 MB per second! ABSOLUTELY BLEW MY MIND!! Other times I regulate at least 50+ MB

I do my speed tests here frequently and always get good results. I also check the reviews for OOL and out of all the people that rate it, maybe about 2 people gave it bad ratings. That's because they are in NJ or further out. The customer service is excellent. They are very professional at what they do, and they will diligently work with you with whatever issues you may have. I have no complaints of their customer service. The only problem I have with them is the TV service, but once I tell them about the problem, the promptly resolve the issue. So I'm always satisfied with how their business is handled.

I would take cable over DSL anytime! At $29.95 per month, you get up to T-3 connections and possibly more! You cant beat that with a aluminum baseball bat! If only OOL would extend to the rest of the country, that would end all problems! LOL. If its available in your area, I highly recommend you get it! IT RULES!