Optimum Online page on DSLReports

Review by FSchmertz See Profile

• Location: West Milford,Passaic,NJ
Good "Pretty good, expecially on the higher tier"
Bad "Occassional Drops, Not Recently Though"
Overall "Finally Getting What's Advertised"

Update 12/9/14

Since you so politely suggested it.

I upgraded in 2013 to their next tier, and fought like hell for a newer modem, going to the main office and begging even .

So far it's been a vast improvement. Probably because they finally upgraded their system. The pressure put on the cable companies to offer service somewhere near advertised worked wonders.

Though I'm not happy to hear the "Big Cheese" saying they're not going to compete with FIOS.

Anyhow, so glad I have Cablevision and not one of the ones that have horrible service (can you say TWC & Comcast?). When I was up in Connecticut, I was also unimpressed with Charter.

Update 7/7/12

I guess I should have updated this a long time ago.

I begged and pleaded at my local Store, and though they didn't have any in stock, they got a Docsis 3 modem off a truck and gave it to me.

Nowadays I usually have OK speeds in Boost +.

I just wish OOL would stop screwing with their customers when they know the problem is on their end. Appears to be a continuing problem with their frontline troops.

Update 3/8/09

Speeds get worse and worse. Another person who lives in my development has indicated that there is an identified downstream problem, and that OOL would fix it. That was a couple of months ago. Sure wish I could get something other than dialup speeds when I'm around to use it.

I won't regret leaving OOL if and when FIOS ever gets here. And OOL won't even be listened to if they try to keep me, just like they don't listen to me.

Previous stuff:

For broadband I have no other options. Speeds used to be adequate to good, now approaching dialup speeds during peak period from 4 PM to 11 PM.

Any complaints are brushed off by saying it's my fault, even though I get full advertised speeds after midnight. Even a blind man can see that my node needs to be split, but good luck getting OOL to do anything about it (other than making my life miserable with idiotic comments, that is)!

I don't recommend them if you can get FIOS.

Comments:

Review by thinkpad See Profile

• Location: Stamford,Fairfield,CT
Good "Fast FAst FAST!"
Bad "None at this time"
Overall "Get this service"

·NETPLEX
It's Fast, Fast, Fast

Not really more that I can say at the moment.

Comments:

Review by obeythelaw See Profile

• Location: Bayonne,Hudson,NJ
Good "Relatively fast and pretty reliable"
Bad "Not much."
Overall "Speed is good and relatively reliable. Optimum offered a great triple play deal"

OOL is simply one of the best ISP's around. Many people complain out the news server or port blocking and capping. I guess I'm an average user but I've never experienced any of that. All I experience is pretty fast speed!

Update 10/15/2004: Well, I've been with OOL for close to three years. I've never really had any problems with OOL. Speed is fast and I rarely see any downtime. Notwithstanding this, I decided to give Verizon DSL a try for 30 days. All I have to say is that after 2 days I am definitely sticking with OOL. First of all, I could "feel" slower on DSL. I guess I am spoiled by OOL's speeds but its just too slow. Second, my line was provisioned at 1.5/364. I confirmed this with two people. However, I noticed that as soon as I got DSL my download speed was half that. After two days of speaking with tech support, who I might add are courteous but somewhat clueless, they could not figure out why I wasn't getting the full speed I was provisioned at. Their final suggestion was that either 1) I should move my modem away from any magnetic interference or 2) that in the evenings, the network servers can slow down. My second gripe is that I tried networking my DSL connection. That was relatively easy. However, because I wasn't getting full speed, and even if I were, if my entire family was wirelessly connecting to the Internet at the same time, my speed took a major hit. Not so with OOL. Because OOL offers more bandwidth more people can be networked without feeling bandwidth slowdown. All, in all, I am not happy with Verizon DSL. Don't get me wrong. It's good for those that can't get anything else. But when OOL is an option, OOL beats DSL hands down.

Update 3-8-05--Well, this may be the straw that breaks the camel's back. OOL has begun throttling its connections for its members. Plan on downloading that 100 MB piece of software? The connection is now throttled instead of the normal speed you used to get. It's been throttled so much that it now matches Verizon's highest speed at around 3MB down. Also, many people, including myself, have begun experiencing annoying DNS issues. With all of this stuff, I'm afraid I may have to reconsider my shortlived Verizon experience and give Verizon a call.

Update 8-16-05: After being with OOL for more than 3 years, I think I've seen anything and everything that can be good and bad about OOL. I have to say that the good has outweighed any bad during the time I have had OOL. OOL is still reliable and rarely goes out. Email is now more stable than it probably has ever been. I no longer achieve the "max" speeds of 9000/1000 but its still faster than what I would get with DSL. The only thing that would make me switch now is if FIOS became available to me. Overall, I would still say that OOL is a good broadband provider with good speeds and reliability and low pings overall. Still a bit pricey but all of the cable providers are. Like I said, if FIOS became available, maybe then would I consider a switch. For now, I'm sticking with OOL.

5-16-06: I've been with OOL now for almost 5 years. Its been above average throughout the time. However, I can now feel my node completely saturated. So much so that in the evenings my speeds almost come to a crawl. But surfing the internet at 3:00 a.m. seems to be okay. When FIOS becomes available I will likely consider switching. Also, OOL has yet to provide BOOST or even the 15/2 speeds in my area yet. It seems like so many other areas have had it for a while.

6-3-06: Well, finally got upgraded to the 15/2 speeds. Its nice, but I notice a drop at peak times. Overall, pretty good. Haven't had mail problems in over a year. All in all, Optimum Online has proven that it can offer reliable, albeit, sometimes oversaturated speeds, for an okay price. If FIOS comes along I think I would try it out, but for now, OOL beats the competition.

12-10-16: I've had the 15/2 upgrade for some time. It comes close to about 11/1.5. OOL has now become consistent in terms of speed and overall reliability. Can't complain.

12-5-2014: I've now had the triple play for more than a month. TV quality is great. For me it is just as good as I had with Fios. The phone service is fine. I've got the 50/25 plan right now and am getting speeds as advertised. Best of all, I've got a 2 year rate guarantee except for the 50/25 as that expires after 1 year. The only thing that I'm not a huge fan of is the cloud based DVR. The DVR box is a bit slow when fast forwarding or rewinding and I suspect it is because of the cloud based functionality and no real hard drive spinning in the box. The user interface also is a bit ugly. However, in the end, Optimum offered an attractive triple play price that saves me about $100.00 per month compared to what I had with Fios.

member for 11.6 years, 5119 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by andrewc2 See Profile

• Location: Matamoras,Pike,PA
Good "Price is negotiable over time, Internet Speeds Awesome!"
Bad "Cableboxes are a bit expensive especially if you need 5x"
Overall "Best Internet Available"

We've had Cablevision for 9 years and all we've seen is the price go up! However I was able to call the retention department and negotiate a $20/month credit for the next year which greatly helps. At the same time they just lowered the cost of Boost Plus (Ultra 50) to $4.95/month and was able to have that added as well.

Currently 4 of 5 cable boxes I have on promotion from the Digital switchover which hopefully we can renegotiate in October or our bill is going up $27/month!

Ultra 50 provisioning happened immediately as I already had a Arris TM822G which is the latest DOCSIS 3 modem CV is using. Getting 60mbps down / 26mbps up consistently which is great!

Had some issues a few years ago not getting my full basic 15/2 (Now 15/5) speeds, ended up needing a DOCSIS 3 modem which cleared that up, everything has been great since then! I just wish the price was a bit lower!

Update 2014: Down to 2 boxes and a Tivo with Cablecard, CV isn't offering better rates from retention any more just free products usually. Internet in my area has been odd recently high packet loss and lag spikes in games. The techs found some sporadic noise in the system which fixed the packet loss but not the lag spikes. I'll be getting back on service about that soon.

member for 3.5 years, 930 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by actor90 See Profile

• Location: Jackson,Ocean,NJ
Good "Reliable high speed internet, no data caps, decent television and phone."
Bad "The price is extremely high, phasing out of mechanical DVR's for cloud exclusive DVR service."
Overall "High price, good services, excellent customer service."

------UPDATE 10-27-2014------

After the one year triple play deal expired the price shot up from 163 dollars to an astronomical 218 dollars. There was no way Cablevision would negotiate any lower a price. This is due to the new policy at Cablevision to not give triple play deals beyond the first one. Comcast was always willing to make great deals to loyal long term customers, unfortunately Cablevision doesn't subscribe to that philosophy any longer.

As for the services I receive, they are very good. There is slight issues with the ancient cable boxes Optimum supplies, and a few channels do not have the best signal quality. Though I am told this is being worked on. The signal quality on the internet had a few hiccups, but overall it is reliable service with full speeds and no bottle necks.

------ORIGINAL REVIEW------

I just moved to Optimum territory and the transition was smooth and seamless. Cablevision provides excellent service at a lower price then any of their competitors. They are now giving Ultra101 speeds for $39.90. The official speeds on that package are 101Mbps down/ 35Mps up. I am consistently getting 119 down and 37 up. No one can beat that.

As far as their digital TV service goes it is excellent providing just about every channel you could desire. The only slight issue I have is Optimum phasing out the mechanical hard drive style DVR's for cloud based DVR service. I love both, and think both fit together perfectly, removing the mechanical DVR's from the equation lessens the value of the service. Other then that small issue I find Optimum service to be the best I have ever had. I highly recommend doing business with Optimum.

member for 11.4 years, 5056 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Millwood See Profile

• Location: Millwood,Westchester,NY
Good "It's quite reliable and fast enough"
Bad "Absurdly expensive over all - mostly because of the TV"
Overall "I'm not ready to try FIOS but ..."

·Optimum Voice
Above says it all.

member for 12.6 years, 1933 visits, last login: 3 days ago

Comments:

Review by vliscony See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
Good "value prop"
Bad "The internet speeds are not up to par"
Overall "Reasonable budget service"

I have a triple play package with the ultra 50 Internet option.

For some reason the internet speeds deteriorate on my wired connection when the WiFi Router is plugged in, but recently they gave me a new router, an AC1750 (D-link DIR-868L), and with that the coverage is better throughout my apt, and I'm now getting 30/30 on my wireless connections (android phone, iPad, Kindle, etc), and 20-40 down and 10 up on my wired connection to my PC, which is at least tolerable.

With the first router, I could never get past 25 down and 5 up on my wired connection with the router plugged in, so this new model was quite an improvement. The phone service has been fine, and the TV is reasonable. I'm not a heavy TV user anyway, but it seems to work fairly well.

In all I got better performance from Verizon FIOS, but it was not worth the price, and most annoyingly, everytime they change one thing, they make you sign for another 2 years, which feels like you're a dog on a leash, and you get yanked back everytime you see something interesting. Optimum has been a pleasure to deal with.

Comments:
andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

Something must be wrong!

Might be worth complaining about those speeds, you should be able to get close to 60/30 on both wired and wireless!

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28

Cablevision Contracts?

Were you talking about Verizon requiring a contract or Cablevision?

Review by jaa See Profile

• Location: New Canaan,Fairfield,CT
Good "Unmatched speed, great price, great support"
Overall "Best value anywhere"

·Vonage
These guys are the best. Caps are 10megabits down, and 1megabit up. I've never had speed slowdowns - consistent 9500/950 speeds. They do put some limits on you if you upload huge amounts - does not affect me.

Had the service for over 7 years, no significant problems or downtime.

Update: They raised the caps to 15/2!! No increase in price. I get consistent 13.5/1.8 speeds.

Update: They eliminated "capping" where they used to limit your upload speed to 150kbps if you uploaded a lot.

Update: Still working great!! No issues.

Update May, 2009: Been about 9 years. Not had any problems - consistent speeds, rare outages.

Update November, 2009: Still going strong. Moved to a new address, transfer went fine.

Update September, 2010: 10 years and still rock solid.

Update November, 2011: Speeds are still "advertised" 15/2, but I get consistent 20/2 speeds with Docsis 3 and 5 bonded download channels on base tier.

Update August, 2012: Consistent 20/2 speeds. Service is awesome! Also taking advantage of the wifi hotspots - now I'm never at the limit of my smartphone data plan.

Update March, 2013: Great speeds. Lowered my cell data plan since I am using less and less since I connect to wifi hotspots a lot.

Update August, 2014: 55/25 speeds on upgraded tier ($5/mo extra). Don't "need" the speeds, but very nice now and then when upload pictures or downloading ISOs.

member for 14.5 years, 6784 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by momcat1 See Profile

• Location: Wappingers Falls,Dutchess,NY
Good "better than dialup, few total outages"
Bad "frequent dropouts, hard to get service issues addressed"
Overall "we have no other choice for high speed; they're getting worse!"

We have no other options for high speed here, so we're captives.
We have regular Optonline, with iO and Opt Voice
Intermittent low signal associated problems, ongoing since 2002. Not resolved.

Update Dec 2008: Outside techs did spend several concurrent months this year, and for the most part it does now work. Video dropouts rare, but internet and phone still occasionally dropout just long enough to lose your conversation or your download. It is better than previously. It just seems that for the money, it should be nearly flawless.

Update Aug 2009: nothing new to report, other than rate increases.

Update Dec 2011:business as usual, it is what it is. You regulars are familiar with CV's MO.

Update Aug 2014:by accident, we found the only thing that has stopped the audio and video artifacting - a Sony Google box. Putting that inline, between the STB and our sound system has made an improvement by 98%. And in case you think it's a coincidence- the Google box had to be returned for a warranty replacement last month. During the whole two weeks we didn't have one, the artifacting was again horrible. As soon as I added the replacement Google box, the atrifacting disappeared. No change of cables. I don't know what that box if filtering exactly, but it makes cable watchable again. The box does other fun stuff, too.
This year we absolutely couldn't take the incessant price increases (let's call a spade a spade) and paying for content we have no interest in watching. We cut the tv package down by 4 tiers.

member for 12.1 years, 1789 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Unusual.

Wow, that's definitely not the optimum I know.
I have a friend that has them and loves it. And I would too -if I could get it.

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
·Optimum Online

Re: Unusual.

Nope, optimum is CRAP.
I've had it for years now and they always seem to find ways to diminish the service.
When they got severely spanking in the FCC comparisons, and were found to be the WORSE for delivering service, they finally over-provisioned the tiers to mute the obvious slowdowns that occur daily.

Review by bobmay See Profile

• Location: Trenton,Mercer,NJ

In MHO Optimum blows Fios out of the water.

member for 13.3 years, 2378 visits, last login: a few hours ago