Optimum Online page on DSLReports

Review by uroberto See Profile

• Location: Piscataway,Middlesex,NJ
Good "Great download speed, 15-20 mbit down."
Overall "If you want speed, go with OOL."

·Clear Wireless
Update 9/30/11

I came back in 2011 after several years without it. I got a promotional rate for 2 years. Speed is consistent with the advertised tiers.

Update 7/22/07

Service has been good the last couple of years. The 15/2 tier is more than fine for me.

Update 6/9/05

I just came back to OOL after being with Verizon for a year. I'm on that $29.95 deal for 6 months. Speeds are good 8-9 mbit for downstream just like in the past when I had them. I heard there were speed issues that just got resolved. I guess I came back at the right time. I'll see what happens in 6 months and call retention to lower my price when it goes up to $49.95 even if it is for a short-term.

Update 6/18/04

The mail server has had a few problems lately, but that's why I use a yahoo mail account. A few months ago I cancelled the cable TV service and I went to satellite (Dish network). My price, of course, went up to $49.95 which is too much in my view for broadband. Ever since then I've been looking to see if DSL was available. Just last month, Verizon DSL became available and I signed up. I'm currently trying it out and I think I'll keep it ($29.95 monthly rate). Optimum Online's download speeds are much higher, but I'm not a heavy downloader and I mostly browse the web. It has been great having Optimum online for 4 years, but I think they need to offer a lower priced tier as there is more competition now .

Update 12/30/03:

The price went up to $44.95, which to me was a dissapoinment, but overall Optimum Online remains a great value. Speeds remain great for me. A few months ago, Cablevision replaced my old Terayon cable modem with a new Motorola Surfboard 5100 due to packet loss. The new modem seems to work fine.

One thing I wish that Cablevision would sort out is the SPAM problem. They are working on their Spamguard service and lately I have received less spam that I used to get. People still complain about the mail server, but I hardly ever see a problem receiving my mail with OOL. I don't complain about the news server, since I don't use it.

Original review:

I got the Optimum online service in May of 2000. Nobody told me that it was available in my area, until a friend that lives in nearby Edison advised that they had just come online. So, I decided to go the Wiz and check to see when the service was going to be available in Piscataway. Much to my surprise, Optimum online had just come online in my town the week before. At the time, the sales rep. gave me three modem choices (Motorola, Terayon and 3com). I chose the Terayon, due to the fact that it looked better with my decor. Also, I signed a contract for 2 years for the monthly of $29.95 which was great.

Initially, I had signal problems with my Terayon cable modem. After a couple service calls and a splitter change the problem was solved. For the first couple of years, I used to get between 3-4 mbit downloads on average. After my node got upgraded in March of 2002, I started hitting 8 mbit downloads which was awesome. I've had a few outages in the last three years, but they usually got solved quickly.

Comments:

Review by snsr See Profile

• Location: Easton,Fairfield,CT
Good "Connectivity has been reliable and fast. "
Bad "No speed above Ultra at the moment."

Updating my ~6yr old review of Optimum online/cable/voice.

Network speeds are snappy, latency is low. Customer service has always been friendly and responsive. Techs are knowledgable where it counts but lack skills with regard to systems and networking.

Upgraded Boost to Ultra 101 the moment it became available. Steep initial installation fee (no longer required) was off-putting but worth it. My initial Ultra install used a DOCSIS3 capable modem from Cisco that has been replaced with an Arris model. Still no voice service from the DOCSIS3 modem as supplied by CV.

Would love to see symmetrical connection options as well as speed tiers above Ultra 101.

Comments:

Review by joe0307 See Profile

• Location: Oakdale,Suffolk,NY
Good "Fast, reliable"
Bad "none"
Overall "Great Service A+"

Picked up modem and cable at the wiz, and was on line immediately. i originally was given a 3COM sharkfin, but recently exchanged it for a SB4200. Speeds increased from around 5000Kbs(was great) to 8000kbs(even better )
Also nice to have OOL Tech and Engineer in forum.

Moved out of state. No longer have Optimum.

Comments:

GERI

@bresnan.net

Sad elder mother

Told my elderly mother just let them know when she moved and would transfer service! lol she did and they wanted to charge her $80.00 for that !!!!!!!! Sad because my mom only gets $600.00 a month what the heck a holes!!!!!!!!!!

Review by TamaraB See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
Good "Fast delivery and install. Speeds greater than advertised."
Overall "Very happy camper"

·Clearwire Wireless
So, I moved. Although my Clearwire worked as before, I decided to try cable, since it was available in my new location.

I called Optimum on a Wednesday, ordered InternetOnly service, paid by CC, and was up and running by Friday. I went for the basic 15/2 service, and was surprised that It clocked at 20/2 from day one.

I opted for the free self-install, but the tech came in and set up the modem (a Cisco2203C). It took all of about 20 minutes, most of that time was waiting for the cable to come to life.

I purchased the Belkin N600DB router and it works well with the modem and with my Macs and iPhones.

Sofar it's a screamer, very pleased.

UPDATE 13 May 2012

I updated my basic service to Boost Plus 50/8 service. The new modem arrived via Fedex in 5 days. I swapped out the modem, called Tech support and within 15 minutes the speed went to 50Mb+

Easy and no hassle upgrade.

»speedtest.net/result/2736135934.png

Update 28 May 2013

I replaced the Belkin router with an Apple Airport Extreme, which connected to the modem without incident. It now runs several Macs on my local net.

The service has been stable and reliable. Since initial install I have taken advantage of OOL's Web and email hosting for Boost customers, and moved one of my domains there. It too has been trouble free and fast. Don't expect any competent tech support beyond "have you rebooted your computer" however. Tech support seem to be clueless about their own services, especially how to manage their web and email hosting.

Recently, I installed a mail and web server on my connection, opened ports 25 and 80, and run 2 websites (2 domains) and all my personal email right from my home, saying goodbye to google! Still a very happy camper after more than a year.

While the $69.90/Mo Boost (after tax) price may seem steep, I do not have cable TV, and stream all my entertainment over the net, I run 2 websites and my email on the connection, a third on OOL's co-hosting service. Streaming Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Video is smooth as silk even while downloading GB+ files. So, if you make heavy use of your connection, OOL is a good choice, and not expensive for what you get; perfect for chord cutters, and DIY geeks!

One last point, I often take my laptop out. I use Optimum WIFI quite a bit when away from home. There are tons of access points all over the city (NYC), which is great for connecting my Macbook, iPad, and iPhone to Wifi. It's not very fast, but it is available, and included with the base Internet connection. Their WIFI network recognizes the MAC address of your devices, so connections are fast. Not a bad perk!

Update:

A couple of months ago I upgraded to Ultra 101/35 Business class. The speeds exceed advertised, tech support is 24/7 Americans and excellent. What more can I say? It's simply top-notch!

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/2888529924

Netflix is outstanding on this connection.

member for 13.4 years, 5065 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by frdrizzt See Profile

• Location: Ronkonkoma,Suffolk,NY
Good "No contract, great price, great speeds, free app with full channel lineup, 24/7 support"
Bad "DVR Plus hit or miss, long wait times at CV stores, no IMAP email support"
Overall "The only high-speed internet I've ever purchased, and I'd be happy if it stayed that way"

Solid speeds 24/7 for most thanks to docsis 3. Optimum app & Optimum Wifi hotspots add great value.

Areas for improvement would be improved response and reliability of DVR+, IMAP email support, additional speed tiers and plans with higher uploading.

I'd love to see more HD channels. Possibly having boxes downconvert to 480i on SD would help free up additional frequencies. The ability to use the Optimum App via desktop would be nice, or at least a web interface where you can order VOD in home on desktop.

member for 5.9 years, 2034 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by tmpchaos See Profile

• Location: Hoboken,Hudson,NJ
Good "fast instalation and very fast speeds (especially after tweaking)"
Bad "none (yet...)"
Overall "should have gotten it sooner..."

I started out on the net quite a while ago (anyone else remember 2400 modems and dial-up shell accounts?)...been through all the speeds, until I finally decided to get broadband both for the speed and to free up the phone. I started out with Flashcom/NP, and had a reasonable experience with them (4 weeks for installation-in the midst of the verizon strike, and speed about as promised, 400k). I was a happy camper, until they went under, and gifted me with Hellocity/NP. The changover (in retrospect) went very smoothly, with no loss of time. The connection was a little slower (370k), but nothing to get worked up over. Then the problems started. Outages, mail server problems, dns problem, until I went down completely, about two weeks BEFORE the death of NP. Finally got Hellocity to tell me that it was a MAC address problem, and that NP was going to fix it. Of course, we all know what happened next... I put up with six weeks of their dialup (constant drops) while waiting for them to reprovision me; in the middle of April, when I called, they told me my new CLEC would be Verizon (oh, joy...), and that I shoud be up in about two weeks, Then, a week later, I received the infamous DJ letter... So I went to look for other options. It turned out that I had only (on a practical basis) two options- Earthlink (via PPOE), or OOL. Looking things over, I decided to go with OOL (for speed, and installation timeframe). They got me hooked up in 3 days; the technician actually called me on the day of installation to see if he could come early (and did so). I got the modem the next day, and hooked it right up. Had a bit of a problem with the registration setup, but I called tech support, and they did it from their end with no problem. I also asked the tech about my main concern about cable (line overload), and he told me that they monitor the lines, and switch as necessary to maintain speed-which, in general has worked quite well. Speeds have been anywhere from 1200-8000k, and, in fact, a current test via Speakeasy shows 2482/825 to San Francisco and 5651/908 to NYC. The lack of a static IP hasn't been a problem (it hasn't changed yet), and it works fine with my system- G3 powerbook, G4 desktop, both with VirtualPC; everything is uniformly fast. In all, I'd say pleased.

The only quibble I have is with customer service, after the price increase. It's taken them three months and counting to change the charges.

Speeds have increased to a relatively consistent 14/1.8 M, while the price is now 49.95. They've swapped out my old modem with a new SA, which is unfortunately configured to not let the user see some of the typical information (signal or status).

Update-

The SA died, and was replaced with a Motorola 51xx. In September, I began having speed issues, which became progressively worse until I became annoyed and contacted OOL. They've replaced the 51xx with a 6220 Docsis3, and speeds have not only returned to normal, but have been consistently above 15 down.

member for 13.9 years, 9111 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by thinkpad See Profile

• Location: Stamford,Fairfield,CT
Good "Fast FAst FAST!"
Bad "None at this time"
Overall "Get this service"

·NETPLEX
It's Fast, Fast, Fast

Not really more that I can say at the moment.

member for 13.7 years, 4172 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by RickNY See Profile

• Location: Farmingville,Suffolk,NY
Good "Stable, good speed, reliable service.. Receive above what we pay for"
Bad "DNS"
Overall "Best choice for the area.. Excellent value"

Well, I'm 14 months into my 24 month contract with Optimum Online, and have no intention of getting rid of it.. Initial availability check online should be verified if possible with someone else's cable modem at your location as the database is not instantly updated when an area is turned on.. Ive had very few problems with the service the entire time. I think I can remember 3 or 4 outages in 14 months -- none longer than 45 minutes. As far as tech support, the front-line tech support is very limited. The best bet for highly technical questions is to ask in the forum, where it can be answered by one of the resident OOL engineers. Telephone support representatives just DO NOT have the technical background to solve anything more than the most common problems and create problem reports for engineering to look into.

----------------

After 2 yrs, 3 months: Overall, I am still satisfied with the service, although some things have changed.. For one, the OOL Mail and News servers (the news server USED to be excellent), are prone to problems.. Mail delivery times are longer than they should be, and authentication problems on the POP server appear more often than they should.. At the conclusion of my contract, my price went from $29.99 to $39.99, so my perceived value for the money has dropped a bit as well..

----------------------------------

After appx 3 years... Still very satisfied with the service, however newsgroup problems continue to be a majpr problem on OOL. Mail problems are pretty much nonexistent for myself since my account was moved to a new mail store when I changed accounting details. Spam is surprisingly not a problem at all -- none of my OOL email addresses have received any spam whatsoever since 10/2002 -- however, I cannot speak for other user's experiences.

-----------------------------------

After 5 years with the service, one of the biggest issues I have is with the question of value.. Email delays reached unacceptable levels, leading me to switch to a paid email provider.. Cost of the service is now $44.99, although I pay $49.99 since I dropped Cablevision for my television service.. Increase in price of 50% over what it was 5 years ago is pure greed in action.. These kinds of services are supposed to go DOWN in price over time as the technology becomes more widely accepted and adopted -- not up, and certainly not up by 50%.. As a whole, my perception of Cablevision as a good company to do business with has dwindled greatly over the years -- turning me from a one-time fanboy of the company to someone who yearns for someone else to come in the area and offer a competitive product (e.g Verizon FIOS). DNS issues have caused me to run Treewalk (BIND PE), as the OOL DNS servers have become extremely ineffective and unstable..

---------------------------------------------

After having OOL for 7 years now, the service provides a good value when compared to other services such as FIOS. It would be nice if pricing was lowered in response to competition from Verizon, but instead, performance was increased for the same costs. The $44.95 (for family cable subscribers) pricetag for 15/2 service is a good value, especially when comparing to ISPs in other parts of the country. I am now an Optimum Voice subscriber as well, which uses the OOL connection and works quite well. Cablevision offers attractive pricing discounts for those that bundle their services. For example, OOL alone is $49.95.. Add on family cable, and that price is discounted to $44.95.. You can add Boost (30/5) service for an additional $14.95, but if you already subscribe to Optimum Voice, Boost is only $9.95. The biggest discounts can be obtained by bundling iO digital cable, OOL, and Optimum Voice.

Overall, the service has improved since my last review. I still continue to use alternatives for DNS (OpenDNS) as well as paid email (Fastmail.fm). Look over your choices carefully when it comes to switching to someone like FIOS -- prices after promotional periods are over from Verizon will likely result in you paying more than you would with Cablevision (which does not have any contracts)

------

OK.. 10 years later, nothing new to report.. On Boost now.. Consistent 30/5 in my area with a non-DOCSIS3 modem.. I use OpenDNS for DNS.. Everything is peachy.

--------

Here I am 14 years after my initial review.. As a paid Boost Plus customer, I was grandfathered into Optimum's 101/30 plan which is now called "Ultra 101". Speeds are consistently high, with no slowdowns in the evening. Due to overprovisioning the modem, I consistently achieve 120/30 for service that is advertised as 101/30. Utilizing a Cisco DPQ3212, Cablevision employs channel bonding - 8 downstream channels and 2 upstream. I am a SamKnows participant, and my monthly report cards report consistent results as well. Overall, very happy. Speed is consistent.. No slowdowns during peak usage periods.. DNS is still not the greatest - but easily remedied by using OpenDNS. Recently received their free "smart router" allowing my router to be a part of their mesh network that includes over 100,000 hotspots in the tri-state (NYC) area, which is available to all OOL subscribers

member for 13.4 years, 6511 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sandman9r See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
Good "Still the Best ISP in the U.S."
Bad "Internet Service Can Get Expensive When Promotion Ends"
Overall "60/25 Service is Unrivaled in the Country"

JANUARY 2014
Optimum, as an ISP is very, very underrated. I have nothing but the utmost praise of their internet speeds. At any given moment, I'll have a Kindle Fire streaming the Optimum App while I'm playing online with Xbox Live. Optimum's Netflix streaming performance is always in HD. Optimum's Amazon Instant Video is also always in HD. The speed I get is more than enough to handle all of these tasks simultaneously with ease.

60/25 is an absolute steal for the price they're charging me. Although my $29.99 promotion will be ending soon, I won't mind when I go back down to 20/5. Optimum doesn't promote it but their default speed is actually faster than what they advertise. Ultra 50 is advertised as 50/25 but my speedtest.net tests routinely hit 60/25. Similarly, the advertised 15/5 speed is actually 20/5.

I've had Optimum Online for over a decade now and they'll always have my business. I'm a very satisfied customer.

Optimum Speed Evolution: 10/1, 15,2, 30/5, 30/8, 50/8, 60/25

SEPTEMBER 2010
Optimum Online is still batting 1.000. The download speed is superb, the upload is just as fast, and the reliability is guaranteed.

No lie: This is still the No. 1, undisputed ISP in New York, if not America.

SEPTEMBER 2008
I've now been a very satisfied Optimum customer for 5 years. The speeds obtained from the service are so fast that I can boldly declare that I easily have one of the fastest connections in the northeast. Great service. No extended downtime for the years I've been a customer. The service has yet to disappoint although, to be honest, it sometimes does take a slight dip during peak evening hours.

While the threat from FiOS is enticing for some customers, I consider it a downgrade.

DECEMBER 2006
If pure speed is a factor in determining your broadband provider, Optimum is undoubtedly the best. It may very well be the fastest (and most reliable) residential service in the United States.

+Customer service via phone has improved
+Boost users aren't capped

-Some techs are not "tech-savvy"
-Online customer service is very limited

UPDATE: JUNE 2006
Although I was capped late last month, the service continues to be reliable and fast. My area was recently upgraded to Boost and the speeds alone have more than made up for the capping situation.

However, the fact that I have to monitor my upload to ensure that I'm complying with an ambiguous Terms of Service takes away from what is otherwise one of the fastest residential broadband services in the U.S. The categories above need to be changed to reflect a more accurate assessment of the service.

UPDATE: SEPTEMBER 2005
Although there were periods earlier this year when speeds took a slight nosedive, overall, the speeds were fast nonetheless. All problems have been (The Shining reference) *corrrrected* and my speeds now are faster than ever. Cablevision promises even faster speeds by early next year.

In the two years that I've had the service, I've yet to encounter downtime or technical problems. Therefore, despite any talk of competing services, I'm going to remain a satisfied Optimum Online customer.

UPDATE: SEPTEMBER 2004
I have yet to encounter downtime. Speeds have improved to about 9MB. I have bought a router and play my PS2 online while using two other computers at the same time. I have yet to be capped. I am extremely satisfied with Optimum Online so far.

SEPTEMBER 2003
When Optimum Online first advertised in the New York City area, I was very disappointed to find out that the service would take a while to get to the Bronx. However, the wait was definitely worth it.

I called and placed my order and within 3 days, yes 3 DAYS, I was up and running without any problems. This is a stark contrast to the nightmare I had with Verizon DSL which I never got running. I placed my order in May 2003 and it wasn't until September 2003 when I finally got A PHONE LINE. That's right, I didn't get DSL service, just a plain phone line. Absolutely unacceptable.

With this in mind, I expected Cablevision's service to be equally as bad. When I placed my order, I was told that they would be at my location the next day! I guess they knew that they owed it to me since I waited three years for this service.

The technician who came was competent and thorough. My service was running immediately afterwards.

On average, I get about 6MB download speeds and 1MB upload. I play my PS2 online and there is no lag whatsoever. I highly recommend Optimum Online for console gamers.

I have tried the tweaks that were mentioned on this website to boost speeds, but in reality, they aren't that necessary unless you are hardcore. You don't really notice the difference. My pages load instantly at 3MB as quickly as it would with 6MB or 10MB. Once you get used to the speed, you'll only realize when your service has slowed. This has yet to happen.

Overall, Optimum Online's service has been a perfect 10. If you live in the Bronx and want broadband, I guarantee you that you will not be let down.

member for 10.4 years, 2508 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Xanax3mg

@verizon.net

Unfortunately, not so.

I have both OOL Ultra 101 and Verizon (FIOS) Quantum connections here at the USA Office (Zip Code 11530).

OOL = 110-120 down and 35-50 up

Verizon = 500-530 down and 100-120 up.

I've loved and used OOL for years here and I will keep the
Ultra 101 connection, but now it's on the bench.

Review by champs18 See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY

Optimum appears to throttle my connection, Win 7 & Win 8.1 does not work every 6 weeks or so (this has happened for four months). 24 hours later, my internet works with Windows.

Boot into Ubuntu (during the Windows outage) and my internet is working fine. Load up any Live Linux disk and the internet is fine. Call CV and at first they can't see my modem but then I point out I can get on the internet with Linux and the tech changes his tune - 'oh we see your modem and computer'. BTW, CV changed my modem to the Arias model six months ago and then all hell broke out. My internet connection even worked during Hurricane Sandy. Now the 'Windows Internet' goes bad with any version of Windows every 6 weeks.

I have had the modem changed twice already. The modem has been disconnected every time there was a problem. Yet CV refuses to acknowledge there is a problem.

Comments:
champs18

join:2014-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

Throttling

It happened again today. No virus I scanned. Used Malwarebits - nothing. Ubuntu works fine!
champs18

join:2014-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

Re: Throttling

Does anyone experience this issue with
Cablevision?