Optimum Online page on DSLReports

Review by FSchmertz See Profile

• Location: West Milford,Passaic,NJ
Good "Pretty good, expecially on the higher tier"
Bad "Occassional Drops, Not Recently Though"
Overall "Finally Getting What's Advertised"

Update 12/9/14

Since you so politely suggested it.

I upgraded in 2013 to their next tier, and fought like hell for a newer modem, going to the main office and begging even .

So far it's been a vast improvement. Probably because they finally upgraded their system. The pressure put on the cable companies to offer service somewhere near advertised worked wonders.

Though I'm not happy to hear the "Big Cheese" saying they're not going to compete with FIOS.

Anyhow, so glad I have Cablevision and not one of the ones that have horrible service (can you say TWC & Comcast?). When I was up in Connecticut, I was also unimpressed with Charter.

Update 7/7/12

I guess I should have updated this a long time ago.

I begged and pleaded at my local Store, and though they didn't have any in stock, they got a Docsis 3 modem off a truck and gave it to me.

Nowadays I usually have OK speeds in Boost +.

I just wish OOL would stop screwing with their customers when they know the problem is on their end. Appears to be a continuing problem with their frontline troops.

Update 3/8/09

Speeds get worse and worse. Another person who lives in my development has indicated that there is an identified downstream problem, and that OOL would fix it. That was a couple of months ago. Sure wish I could get something other than dialup speeds when I'm around to use it.

I won't regret leaving OOL if and when FIOS ever gets here. And OOL won't even be listened to if they try to keep me, just like they don't listen to me.

Previous stuff:

For broadband I have no other options. Speeds used to be adequate to good, now approaching dialup speeds during peak period from 4 PM to 11 PM.

Any complaints are brushed off by saying it's my fault, even though I get full advertised speeds after midnight. Even a blind man can see that my node needs to be split, but good luck getting OOL to do anything about it (other than making my life miserable with idiotic comments, that is)!

I don't recommend them if you can get FIOS.

member for 7.4 years, 253 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Millwood See Profile

• Location: Millwood,Westchester,NY
Good "It's quite reliable and fast enough"
Bad "Absurdly expensive over all - mostly because of the TV"
Overall "I'm not ready to try FIOS but ..."

·Optimum Voice
Above says it all.

member for 12.6 years, 1932 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by momcat1 See Profile

• Location: Wappingers Falls,Dutchess,NY
Good "better than dialup, few total outages"
Bad "frequent dropouts, hard to get service issues addressed"
Overall "we have no other choice for high speed; they're getting worse!"

We have no other options for high speed here, so we're captives.
We have regular Optonline, with iO and Opt Voice
Intermittent low signal associated problems, ongoing since 2002. Not resolved.

Update Dec 2008: Outside techs did spend several concurrent months this year, and for the most part it does now work. Video dropouts rare, but internet and phone still occasionally dropout just long enough to lose your conversation or your download. It is better than previously. It just seems that for the money, it should be nearly flawless.

Update Aug 2009: nothing new to report, other than rate increases.

Update Dec 2011:business as usual, it is what it is. You regulars are familiar with CV's MO.

Update Aug 2014:by accident, we found the only thing that has stopped the audio and video artifacting - a Sony Google box. Putting that inline, between the STB and our sound system has made an improvement by 98%. And in case you think it's a coincidence- the Google box had to be returned for a warranty replacement last month. During the whole two weeks we didn't have one, the artifacting was again horrible. As soon as I added the replacement Google box, the atrifacting disappeared. No change of cables. I don't know what that box if filtering exactly, but it makes cable watchable again. The box does other fun stuff, too.
This year we absolutely couldn't take the incessant price increases (let's call a spade a spade) and paying for content we have no interest in watching. We cut the tv package down by 4 tiers.

member for 12.1 years, 1785 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Unusual.

Wow, that's definitely not the optimum I know.
I have a friend that has them and loves it. And I would too -if I could get it.

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
join:2004-12-20
La La Land

Re: Unusual.

Nope, optimum is CRAP.
I've had it for years now and they always seem to find ways to diminish the service.
When they got severely spanking in the FCC comparisons, and were found to be the WORSE for delivering service, they finally over-provisioned the tiers to mute the obvious slowdowns that occur daily.

Review by oneillonl See Profile

• Location: Copiague,Suffolk,NY
Good "Rate was good at first, until they moved their Headquarters out of state"
Bad "Dial 611, always get NJ Reps who believe they are 'The Jet Set', will disconnect you when you have $1.00 past due"
Overall "Big Mistake for Optimum to send all calls to NJ, they will tell you Cablevision offices on L. I. do not exist"

To speak to a NJ Rep when all services were cut off, because I was past due 1 month, as a Disabled Senior who lives alone, being told 'NO', your doctor cannot fax medical need for phone service, Call 911 if you have a medical problem, Disabled does not protect you, with ignorance the Rep refused to wait 10 days for payment, cut all services. Honestly NJ Optimum has no knowledge of Cablevision!

Rather hang a wire outside my window in the hope to pick up a satellite.

It began on Long Island many years ago; Cablevision sold us out!

Comments:
optimumdude

join:2007-06-20
Wayne, NJ

It began on Long Island many years ago; Cablevision sold us

Cablevision is Optimum and the corporate office for them is in Bethpage, NY Long Island. I don't know what you have been told but they have call centers in Long Island and NJ.

royphil345
join:2004-12-10
Lakewood, OH

2 edits

Re

It's probably outsourced customer support and they have no idea where Cablevision offices are. Cable support usually comes from a different service area now, so the workers can't change their own accounts and friend's accounts in their own service area. All the companies are doing it. It's all about the bottom line, not serving the customer these days.

JayMac

@optonline.net

Speed Test

Optimum online Speed Test isn't working.

Attack Gypsy

join:2007-05-10
Milford, CT

The truth

Customer Service has offices in a number of locations. New Jersey, Long Island, and Connecticut ALL have them.

TSG, or Technical Support Group, their help desk, is located in Long Island as well as Shelton, CT.

I worked in the Shelton office in 2006-2008. Best thing I ever did was get out of there. They got rid of all of the real techs and brought in people from grocery stores.

Review by JRW2 See Profile

• Location: Port Jefferson Station,Suffolk,NY
Good "Fast, but inconsistent so don't expect to use it... Though now at 16/5! Provisioned for 20/5..."
Bad "Their speeds can vary GREATLY in a day since most nodes are vastly oversold, VERY expensive."
Overall "Not worth the money, but the only game in town. Avoid at all costs if you can. Rated the WORST ISP at delivering service."

I dumped cable for satellite because of the constant price increases, so it killed me to have to call them for broadband access. DSL in NOT available to me due to the fact that I am 19000 feet from the CO.

I got the service because dial-up was too slow.

When I originally signed up I was paying $29.95, because I do not subscribe to cable service. The offer at the time was a father's day special that gave me the self install kit with the modem and a network card, if I paid for a years’ worth of service in advance.
They gave me vouchers to send in as payment for the monthly billed amount, this was fine for about three months, then they raised the price to $39.95, no big deal, I had paid for a year, or so I thought.

First they wanted to cancel my service because I was NOT paying the full amount each month, several calls to customer service, I get that straightened out, or so I thought.

Then a few months later the price goes up to $49.95 a month, and after a few more months I get a disconnect notice due to non-payment.
Now I call customer service, explain that I have been sending in my payment coupons, and ask why they are not being credited to my account, the woman on the other end tells me that they are a little backlogged in crediting the vouchers to people’s bills.
NOW I lose it, I explain that they BETTER make a note on my account that I am paid up for the WHOLE year, and I better NOT lose service.

All in all I would say that they did NOT handle things well at all.

If I had a choice I would NOT subscribe to Optimum Online again.

They have a SECRET cap that is imposed for unexplained reasons that appear to vary from node to node. If you violate this secret capping limit, you ARE capped; they do NOT inform you that you are capped unless you discover it yourself. Then they read you the riot act and make you jump through hoops, and then they remove the cap. Not the kind of company I want to keep dealing with, but right now I have no choice. Also they advertise that you can get 10Meg down and 1 Meg up, but they neglect to mention that the upload side is only useable in short bursts and only for short periods of time, anything longer and you will be capped.

If you have any other options, I would choose them OVER OOL.

::: UPDATE 02/17/05 :::

Since Christmas cablevision has been having speed issues system wide on the download side that can cut your downloads to 1/3 of the maximum speed.
Calls to tech support have cablevision reporting no issues.

::: Update 03/02/05 :::

OOL has now come up with a new one; they now appear to throttle outside newsgroup downloads to 3K max after ten minutes. More on this as it unfolds.

::: Update 03/06/05 :::

They DO throttle, and this is under the pretext that they are exercising their rights under their TOS to protect the integrity of their network.
I was considering getting VoIP from them, but due to this they can forget it...

::: 3/08/05 :::

I forgot to mention in my previous update that OOL was ALSO having DNS issues, as of this post they still appear to be having issues. I have revised all of my categories to a "1" since that is what I feel OOL has reduced their service to.

::: 3/09/05 :::

Just as mysteriously as the throttling started it was removed today, yet OOL still denies that they ever throttled anyone’s download side bandwidth. On a related note, the DNS issue also appears to have been resolved. Let’s see what OOL has in store for tomorrow…

::: 5/09/05 :::

Though I am not experiencing this, there have been reports over the past few weeks that peoples upper download speeds have been halved, OOL still claims that this is normal download speeds and that anything more is just icing on the cake, and should not be expected as normal download bandwidth. They even have gone so far as to revise their speed test to make anything above 4Meg down seem to be screaming speeds, down from what was once 6Meg. Again, if you have other options, like DSL or FIOS, check into those BEFORE you sign up for OOL.

::: 7/11/05 :::

Well I have to give OOL one on this, while others were having speed related issues these past few months, I appear to have avoided them. I would still advise anyone considering OOL to look elsewhere, as this is most likely just the calm before the storm...

::: 11/16/05 :::

OOL recently put out a press release on new speeds and prices, problem is MOST if not all of the mentioned speeds will not be available for another six months! Bad propaganda move on OOL's part, right now it is just a promise, no one is reporting actually getting any speed boost. One thing they HAVE done is start moving people to QAM 256, which is suppose to increase available bandwidth on the node, and decrease congestion on the node.

::: 11/21/05 :::

I have seen my download side speeds drop by 1/3, similar to the speed drop I posted about last year at Christmas time. This only started in the last few days. I will be watching this closely...

::: 12/8/05 :::

The speed drop appears to be related to an overloaded node, which is exacerbated when children in my area are on vacation for the holidays.
On a happier note, I was just upgraded last night to 15/2 for free (Though I do believe that this is only because FIOS is due in my area soon), due to the fact that I am probably the only one in my area who has realized that they pushed through the upgrade, I am presently able to get the full 15Meg down.

::: 3/1/06 :::

Shortly after OOL started to upgrade people to 15/2, there were reports that the dreaded “capping” policy may have been canceled. Many people were reporting that they had been using the service for many days at full throttle without any ill effects. People were even using the new “Boost” 30/2 service at full speed with no signs of a “cap”. Things were starting to look up for OOL, until one day someone reported that they had been “capped” and this was a user on the “Boost” service too. As it stands now, it appears that OOL is still using the same capping algorithm to “cap” people, even the “capped” bandwidth limit is the same 150K upload pipe. So it appears that though OOL has opened up their network to a larger pipe, they still appear to be unable to handle the bandwidth.

::: 9/20/06 :::

OOL recently upgraded all Boost users from the 2Meg upload pipe to a 5Meg upload pipe, so for all the users of Boost this is great news, but only if you DON'T use it. Capping is still in effect in Optimum land, so a bigger pipe only means a faster road to a cap.
OOL is still having DNS issues, so most people have moved to non-OOL DNS servers. In my book, if they are still having DNS issues, what else is still having problems?
Speeds in my area still are variable due to what I believe is an oversold node. Oversold nodes are the norm in OOL land so just be aware of it if you are considering signing up for the service.

I am still awaiting FIOS in my area, so that I will be able to switch, and get away from the draconian “capping” policies of OOL.

::: 2/1/07 :::

The DNS servers have become so bad that people are advising all who read the forums here to use other avenues for DNS. One good note, no one on Boost 30/5 has reported being capped, so there may be hope for OOL yet. OOL Ultra appears to be in the testing phase, a few users have posted that they have it installed. 50/50 service would be nice, not sure of the price yet though, some debate on that.

::: 5/14/07 :::
Still no capping on the 30/5 service, though there have been users reporting caps on the 15/2 service. Ultra is still apparently in testing, and now is rumored to be business only for now. My attitude towards OOL service has not changed either. Avoid it if you have other options, and DON'T call tech support unless you are willing to play their games to get your problem resolved.

::: 7/28/07 :::
No big changes, issues abound on the network but they appear to be isolated as opposed to system wide issues. No change in capping, either they are no longer capping, which I doubt or the people who are getting capped don't know it or are not reporting it...
I can't report on the status of the OOL DNS servers as I have abandoned them a while ago. I am seeing what I believe to be congestion issues though, as I have intermittent stops and starts when accessing pages on the net.

::: 12/29/07 :::
Some good news and bad news to report. The good news is that capping appears to be a thing of the past, no one in the past year has reported a verifiable case of capping. Many people have “tested the waters” so to speak to see if they could get capped and none of them have been capped.
The bad news on the other hand is quite bad, the yearly slowdown of the network is back with a vengeance, and I will opt that it is system wide this time. A lot of people in different areas are reporting speed drops to half or one third of what OOL advertises. A slowdown at this time of year is somewhat expected, considering all the “kids” who are home from school for the holidays, but these kinds of speed drops are unacceptable, and should not be tolerated. No reports of these types of speed drops in “FIOS land”. As such my overall opinion of OOL has not changed, get it if you must, but expect issues, and avoid it at all costs if you can.

::: 1/23/08 :::
The bad news continues, the yearly slowdown of the network is still with us as of this date, and it appears that it is system wide. A lot of people in different areas are still reporting speed drops to less than one third of what OOL advertises. A slowdown at this time of year is not normal, considering all the “kids” are no longer home from school for the holidays, these kinds of speed drops are unacceptable, and should not be tolerated, yet OOL appears unfazed by the numerous complaints, blaming it on the user's network, PC or the router they are using. As such my overall opinion of OOL still has not changed, get it if you must, expect issues, and avoid it at all costs.

::: 2/29/08 :::
The speed issues continue, and I am not alone in this. Many users across the OOL network are reporting severe speed issues with both tiers from OOL.
I myself have been upgraded to BOOST by OOL staff while they work on my speed issues. I have seen my speeds drop to as low as 1.5Meg during tests with OOL techs. Even with BOOST I still see speeds that are as low as one third of those offered in the tier.

::: 07/22/09 :::
Nothing new to report, OOL is still the same old OOL I have reported about for years now. Sad thing is, I am stuck with OOL because my locality has not been bribed properly to allow Verizon to install FIOS.
One nice feature to report on is the inception of OOL Ultra, 101/15 Meg service.
It comes with a poison pill though, a $300 "Activation" fee!
The yearly Christmas slow down of the network is still a reality, and starts just before Thanksgiving and lasts until late February to early March.
No other big changes in my service either...

::: 1/2/2010 :::
As expected, the slow down I see every year starting around Thanksgiving, has appeared again. If nothing else, OOL is consistent in its mediocrity...
What I find galling, is that fact that they THINK they are delivering a great product.
Another irritating thing about OOL is that you can NOT nail them down as to what you should be able to expect, as a MINIMUM from them.

::: 12/13/2010 :::
As expected, the slow down I see every year has started.
OOL is STILL consistent in its mediocrity...
You still can NOT nail them down as to what you should be able to expect as a MINIMUM from them. They have other speed levels, but I think paying more for the same poor service is just a waste of more money.

::: 6/24/2011 :::
As usual OOL still cannot provide consistent speeds. I subscribed to the “Samknows” project for the FCC, essentially they sent me a new router with special code that tests the service all day and reports the results to their servers. I get a monthly report of the results and I can go to a website to check the statistics too. Every day I see the same general results for my service; the speeds start out at about 15Meg and then consistently drops until they bottom out at 2Meg. Now if this was a rare occurrence or the speed drops happened at random times throughout the day, one might attribute it to loading that can occur on a shared network, such as OOL offers. The problem is, the speeds vary at exactly the same times every day. Every day I see the charts show my speeds are testing at about 15Meg at 2AM, and they slowly drop from then until it bottoms out at 2Meg around 6PM. I’ve essentially given up trying to complain about my speeds, since they refuse to admit the network is heavily loaded most of the day. No amount of proof seems to sway their claims that they see no issues with my connection.

::: 12/28/2011 :::
As expected, the slow down I see every year has started. It did start a little later this year, but like always, it did happen.
OOL is STILL consistent in its mediocrity...
CV/OOL took a beating in the FCC results, coming in at dead last as the worst ISP at delivering on “advertised” speeds, for most of the day they delivered the slowest speeds, percentagewise, of any ISP out there.
OOL response to the report was to up the “provisioned” speeds for every user, regardless of speed tier. Sounds great, except they didn’t change the “advertised” speed tiers, so this gives them a better appearance in future reports, but they still have issues delivering the new speeds.

member for 10 years, 4903 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by MuDvAyNe See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Faster Download than FiOS"
Bad "Slower Upload than FiOS"
Overall "Great Price compared to FiOS"

6/9/13

I am back to Cablevision. With FiOS competition in full swing Cablevision has updated their services. Smooth sailing so far and it's been a few weeks. Great Price!

7/14/13

A little over a month back with CV and they give free upgrades to Boost users either paying 9.98 a month or 14.95. I am now getting 101/35. Let's see what FiOS will do. CV is now the cheaper option with similar speeds!

member for 12.8 years, 5296 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

"faster download vs FIOS" incorrect unless you were on lowest package.

15/5 , 50/25 , 75/35 , 150/65 300/65
__________________________________

And if you are in Cablevision area FIOS will have sweet deals too

MuDvAyNe
join:2002-03-02

Re: ..

I was on the 25/25 plan. They wanted an extra 10 bucks a month to boost me up to 50/25. I am paying less for the boost+ service which offers 60/8 than I was for the 25/25. Plus cablevision has started to offer a free upgrade to regular users on the upload. Users in the forum on regular OOL are getting 18/5. I am sure the boost subscribers will see an increase in upload as well.
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

·Optimum Online

good

do what's best for you.. I'm about to cycle the other way (to VZ), been a year w/ OOL and will go back to Verizon soon. I called and CV want to offer ZERO discount for staying a loyal customer-- so bye for a couple of years and we'll see how good the deals are then.

$69.90 for 50/8 is too much.. and I'm this is after almost 2 months at the higher rate off promotion. I would've stayed if they would've kicked it back $5, but now I'll average $55/mo over 2 years on FIOS. I'm basically sick and tired of having to beg these companies after 1 year to offer a loyalty discount so I'll lock in for 2 now and not be hassled about leaving after 365 days.

MuDvAyNe
join:2002-03-02

Re: good

Yea it's really funny how it works. Verizon wouldn't offer anything but yet once I cancel I get calls daily about special promotions to bring me back.
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

Re: good

said by MuDvAyNe:

I think they assume consumers won't call that bluff, but when you call to cancel then it goes to retention dept. By that time, IMO for me I've already pulled the trigger.. it's too late, unless they'd like offering free service for a year. This goes for both companies at this point.

Review by tmc8080 See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "50+ megabits down 8 up (so 2012)."
Bad "8megabits up-- by the time it's 25 I'll be gone."
Overall "Have to do what works best for me.. if that means churn, then churn it will be"

4/25/2012

Sadly both companies dropped the ball a bit.. I was going to order dual play from Optimum (and pay about $70-$75/month for boost plus & OV), but they won't port out of area code numbers.. their loss and now have OOMA for voice. OOMA is probably the most reliable outside of a Vonage type service for which you'd pay upwards of $30/month to have what optimum or verizon offers for more when unbundled or slammed with taxes and fees. Also, a docsis 3 modem battery (NOT INCLUDED!!!) costs $50? REALLY!? $50!!! I was told this is even an extra OPTION for their dual & triple play voice customers!! The whole modem including battery costs about $70 online from amazon which makes the battery (found on ebay about $20 w/ free shipping)-- not that I need it.. I already have a 1500va ups which will hold for about 3-8 hours depending on load time. Will have to see what they both offer in 2013 when this deal expires. For around $50 you could buy a cheap car battery with an inverter you may already have and a battery charger and be good for 24+ hours. They also made me pay $20 for installation so, hosed on single play services.. but that still beats Verizon's pay more or leave deals.

6/30/13

Off to Verizon again (see other review). Sadly, 8 to 25 megabits upload isn't gonna cut it.. even if it does happen. That and a price cut should've come sooner. If google can offer gigabit for $70.. these giants could offer a piddly little speed upgrade for slightly more than half that price and not make you jump through churn & burn hoops.

Comments:

Review by ProbablyWill See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Upload/Download"
Bad "Unreliable tech support/useless"
Overall "If it was up to me and I could swap providers? I'd do it in a heartbeat"

I have the basic package for internet with the triple play thing (internet, phone and cable). We've been with Cablevision for years, always paid on time etc. They're a great company when they want to be but during times like right now, they're absolute garbage.

A week ago today I started receiving major packet loss. I started calling customer support, had to go through a gauntlet of stupid automated suggestions until i started losing my shit. Before I knew it, I was about to throw my phone against the wall and start breaking shit. If you talk fast, the robot doesn't pick up what you're saying. She's also just really obnoxious. Started screaming for a customer service rep, finally got one. They had told me there looked like there was major packet loss so they'd send the tech out.

The tech came to my house, she was a lovely, lively person. Had a very, overextended conversation about nothing relevant with my mother for about 10 minutes, I wish I was exaggerating. She ran her little machine on my modem and told me everything was FINE. So not only am I wrong when I log into World of Warcraft at 7pm with 585 world AND home MS when i normally have 25 flat everyday, night etc, but the guy I spoke with on the phone was wrong too, clearly. No packet loss.

So she left, basically refused to swap my modem too (the guy on the phone sent her with a modem to swap my modem).

As she walked out the door, my ms started climbing again. Later on in the night, I called up tech again, told the robot to screw off and screamed customer service agent into the night skies, got him, talked to him, sent out another tech. The gentleman that they sent seemed like he was more prepared. Busted out the ladder and everything, climbed the pole, ran his machine. Complained to me that I'm complaining about my connection when I'm paying for the basic package (even though i've had no issues whatsoever thus far) and then basically said the only thing I can do is either 'wait it out' or 'upgrade'.

I'm extremely grateful to my parents in the sense that while I cannot find work, they're supporting me. They pay the bills. They both, however, refuse to understand my generation (heavy use of computers, etc) so when I'm downing end-game content, trying to clear stuff on World of Warcraft to hold a position in world ranking, that means nothing to them. it's just a game, pac-man, in their eyes. Put a quarter in later you'll be fine.

Router brand & model#: Cisco Linksys e1200

Modem brand & model#: CABLE MODEM - ARRIS TM822

The price I'm listing is $50, that's, from what I can gather, the price that we're paying for the internet services for the basic package.

I'd extremely advise you to sign up with a different company if possible. While I haven't had an issue like this in 4 months, it's one of those things where "when it rains, it pours". Going through a nightmare right now dealing with my MS. If you aren't a gamer, however. If you're just using the internet for basic stuff like facebook, simple online games like pogo.com or omgpop, by all means, go for Optimum Online.

If you have a son or daughter who is playing online games and you know that in their heart they're really enjoying themselves and having a great time, whether they're playing at a basic level or a high end level, buy them the better package. I cannot speak from experience what the high end package for Optimum Online would be, however, I'm sure you'd get an immense amount of priority with actual repair technicians who know what they're doing. You children deserve better.

Comments:
andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
·Optimum Online

Bad Tech, maybe give it another try?

This seems like a severely localized issue, also you've had bad luck with tech's, sadly it typically takes a few tries unfortunately. I had an issue with speed due to the modem I had, took 3 trips to get them to replace it with a new model, now the issues is solved.

Give it one more try with a tech maybe?
ProbablyWill

join:2013-06-17
Brooklyn, NY

Re: Bad Tech, maybe give it another try?

had a tier 2 tech come out, said there was "intermitten packet loss at the tap" and put a call in so repair guys go out and check it.

Said in 24-48 hours itll be fixed

been 4-5 days now, if anything it's getting worse.
andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

Re: Bad Tech, maybe give it another try?

If you haven't already you might consider posting in the OOL direct forum.

line noise variables

high ping time are usually line noise and unless you have bad wires which they should have checked out.. some times the noise is further up into the node which a tech can't fix. for this they send out a trouble report and it can take a week or two to fix...

my problem wasn't necessarily with ping times, but lost pings/packets altogether and extremely low bandwidth. my tech was a nice guy.. but quite tech illiterate so to speak. I won't bother to tell you about the things that made me wonder why he had such a job-- at least I explained the problem in such a way so he could write up what needed to be written to get the problem fixed-- they do a line test to see if it's the modem, or the local line.. if the box test (diag tool) is OK/GOOD-- then they write a trouble ticket for the NODE techs and head-end techs to sort out which can take in my exp 2 weeks, YMMV on this. if you didn't ask for a Sandy credit, when they finally restore good svc would be the time to ask for a svc interruption credit-- maybe these credits will speed up the work they do at the node/cmts.

be wise about what you tell the tech.. LOW ping times are NOT guaranteed.. but if your bandwidth is suffering low capacity (more then normal ranges) and lost/stuttering packets during diagnostic tests then make sure THESE are the complaints you tell the tech to actually get something done about it!!!

Review by BxWificrunch See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
Good "Multiple hotspots is good WHEN they work"
Bad "Very slow in 10451,customer site should be more basic and straight forward."
Overall "Only if you need the most basic service is this passable but expensive for what you get."

The speeds I am getting right now as of writing this on 02/17/13 are .25 mb/s Down and .87 mb/s Up at 11 pm on the east coast of the United States on a holiday weekend. There is no reason I should even be paying a those speeds! It should be gift or most likely a going away present since I am at my last nerve with the service.

But I digress. I've watched FIOS commercials where they START at 10mb/s and end with FIOS end in the 40's. Seriously? I would have LOVED for 1/2 of the amount they started with!

Now they do offer Optimum Online Boost Plus which comes with a lot (most of which isn't that important to the average customer) but up to 50mb/s download for about an additional $15/month. That would be relevant if they were delivering on the speeds they said I should have been able to get at least once in the last month already.

I am not the most tech savvy but I know the difference between a overtaxed cpu slowing down a page and slow broadband.

I have had Optimum for a number of years and it was satisfactory but even at it's best I don't recall ever getting the 15mb/s download.

Optimum has an opportunity to provide a service that people want and most already have but not at this level. Luckily I live in a FIOS building and have options.

Comments:
tmc8080

complain where it counts

if the speed is not as advertised, then complain to the company..! they will have to explain & fix what's going on or offer full refund, including installation fees. these types of reviews that do not speak about what the customer does to resolve the problem sounds suspiciously like the union workers behind it in their squabble with cablevision. please update this review...

most customers see resolved issues with docsis 3 modems unless line loss is abyssmal. where that line loss is might shift responsibility to the building management depending on what's going on to $$ fix $$... much like the telco will charge for internal wiring which is faulty. the cableco isn't going to re-install $1k+ worth of coax wiring if it's not their responsibility to do so.

Review by archaned See Profile

• Location: Highland Park,Middlesex,NJ
Good "Good speeds when working"
Bad "intermittent timeouts and loss of service"
Overall "problems at the worst time."

Service used to be great, but over the last year interruptions have happened every month.
The modem has been changed 4 times and some of the wiring redone. everything is
working great by the time the tech comes out 24hrs+ later. since we work from home
this has caused some lost in revenue.

we thought about changing ISPs, but the one other provider doesn't provide the speeds
needed to reliably work from home.

we are considering moving to a business account in hopes that issues will be resolved faster.