Optimum Online page on DSLReports

Review by TamaraB See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
Good "Fast delivery and install. Speeds greater than advertised. Excellent Tech support."
Overall "Very happy camper"

·Clearwire Wireless
So, I moved. Although my Clearwire worked as before, I decided to try cable, since it was available in my new location.

I called Optimum on a Wednesday, ordered InternetOnly service, paid by CC, and was up and running by Friday. I went for the basic 15/2 service, and was surprised that It clocked at 20/2 from day one.

I opted for the free self-install, but the tech came in and set up the modem (a Cisco2203C). It took all of about 20 minutes, most of that time was waiting for the cable to come to life.

I purchased the Belkin N600DB router and it works well with the modem and with my Macs and iPhones.

Sofar it's a screamer, very pleased.

UPDATE 13 May 2012

I updated my basic service to Boost Plus 50/8 service. The new modem arrived via Fedex in 5 days. I swapped out the modem, called Tech support and within 15 minutes the speed went to 50Mb+

Easy and no hassle upgrade.

»speedtest.net/result/2736135934.png

Update 28 May 2013

I replaced the Belkin router with an Apple Airport Extreme, which connected to the modem without incident. It now runs several Macs on my local net.

The service has been stable and reliable. Since initial install I have taken advantage of OOL's Web and email hosting for Boost customers, and moved one of my domains there. It too has been trouble free and fast. Don't expect any competent tech support beyond "have you rebooted your computer" however. Tech support seem to be clueless about their own services, especially how to manage their web and email hosting.

Recently, I installed a mail and web server on my connection, opened ports 25 and 80, and run 2 websites (2 domains) and all my personal email right from my home, saying goodbye to google! Still a very happy camper after more than a year.

While the $69.90/Mo Boost (after tax) price may seem steep, I do not have cable TV, and stream all my entertainment over the net, I run 2 websites and my email on the connection, a third on OOL's co-hosting service. Streaming Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Video is smooth as silk even while downloading GB+ files. So, if you make heavy use of your connection, OOL is a good choice, and not expensive for what you get; perfect for chord cutters, and DIY geeks!

One last point, I often take my laptop out. I use Optimum WIFI quite a bit when away from home. There are tons of access points all over the city (NYC), which is great for connecting my Macbook, iPad, and iPhone to Wifi. It's not very fast, but it is available, and included with the base Internet connection. Their WIFI network recognizes the MAC address of your devices, so connections are fast. Not a bad perk!

Update:

A couple of months ago I upgraded to Ultra 101/35 Business class. The speeds exceed advertised, tech support is 24/7 Americans and excellent. What more can I say? It's simply top-notch!

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/2888529924

Netflix is outstanding on this connection.

Update: 20 Jan 2015

Still a sterling connection. Have experienced one outage lasting about 4 hours. Rain leaked into the neighborhood cabinet and a tech had to be dispatched. The issue was resolved very fast, and this was on a Sunday.

The speeds have been consistently higher than the advertised speeds.
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/4074368458

No complaints

member for 14.2 years, 5437 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ak1717 See Profile

• Location: Ronkonkoma,Suffolk,NY
Good "consistent good speed"
Bad "price could go up if you do not have triple play package with cablevision"
Overall "Worth $30 but shop around and read reviews"

I have had Cablevision triple play package for 8 years and have relatively no issues. Outages are very infrequent. It was easy to order and have installed. You get a free wireless high speed router that works fine and has a good range. They also offer free McAfee Total Protection software for your computers. I do monthly tests on speakeasy and get consistently good speeds. I use the internet moderately for web surfing and Netflix and am not a gamer or power user. I have not tried Verizon FIOS in many years so I have nothing to compare it to. For my needs this service works for me. I really have no complaints.

Comments:

Review by kcram See Profile

• Location: Mount Arlington,Morris,NJ
Good "SPEED"
Bad "Bad installation experience"
Overall "Get the DIY kit"

Update: 1/5/2015

Over the last year and a half, just two minor service problems that were quickly taken care of by a service tech visit. One was the phone service stopped responding at the modem... after a line test, a modem swap and line reset cleared that up. Second was getting internet and TV freezing - service tech checked the main splitter off the pole and found it to have twice the signal noise of proper spec (6 dBa instead of 3) - tech said it appeared to be normal wear culminating to a failure point. Replaced the splitter, made sure TV and modem responded at full speed. No other problems, and internet speed remains a very consistent 58 up/28 down (advertised 50/25).

Update: 7/23/2013

Last week, Cablevision announced upgrades to all Optimum Online plans. My base plan was upgraded in speed from 15 down/2 up to 15/5. Speed test (at speedtest.net) showed 17.71/5.35. But the new midrange plan (renamed from "Boost Plus" to "Ultra 50") offered 50 down/25 up for just $4.95 more. Called CV, since I was going to upgrade my TV plan as well. The sales rep said "Let me check and see if I can save you some money." After a brief hold, he came back on and said if I added Optimum Voice (CV's VoIP service), I would get the higher TV tier, the 50/25 internet, and the phone line (which he noted I never have to use if I don't want) - and instead of an increase of $12/month had I just gotten the TV and internet upgrades, my bill would actually go down $16 for 12 months. After 12 months, the bill would increase $15, bringing me to $1 less than I was currently paying before the upgrades. So, I effectively got the speed upgrade and more channels for less money because adding the phone gave me Triple Play status.

I received the new modem (Arris Touchstone TM822G, replacing a Motorola Surfboard SBV5120), and hooked it up. It was a little cranky at first, but after a few minutes, it responded fully. The VoIP worked just fine with a couple of test calls. Then I tried a speed test. The advertised 50/25 ran on speedtest.net at 58.99 and 26.39 right out of the gate. (The speed test here at BBR came in at 31.826 and 15.578.) Very pleased with the results.

Update: 3/27/2011

Coming up on 8 1/2 years... no complaints. Still getting 15d/2u as advertised.

Update 8/25/08

Approaching 6 years with OOL and could not be happier. A job change back in April made me a full time home worker and reliable broadband is now of the utmost importance. I consistently get the 15d/2u speed advertised, day and night. Can't say anything bad about the service, and have no interest in changing.

Update 3/16/06

From the beginning, I had been using the OOL-supplied Motorola SB4200 modem, which was decidedly outdated when I got it in October 2002, as it wouldn't connect properly to my ethernet (tech support said it needed an ISA ethernet card, and of course, computers haven't had ISA slots in ages), so I used the USB connection on the computers I have had over the years. With the announced upgrades to OOL (standard service punched up to 15Mbps and Boost at 30Mbps), I stopped by one of CV's walk-in offices last week and exchanged my 4200 for a brand-new Motorola SB-V 5120. Hooked it up, registered the MAC address, and was rewarded with **stupid** speed. That morning, the OOL speed test told me the 4200 was at 4.36Mbps down and 1.02Mbps up. The 5120 checked in immediately at 12.65Mbps down and 2.02Mbps up, all for no extra charge. When OOL Boost is available, I can get 30Mbps down for just an additional $14.95/month to my current $44.95, while Verizon FIOS would cost $179.95 for the same speed. I'll be staying with OOL, thanks!

1 year update 10/5/03

No issues/complaints since last update. Morris County was not affected by the 8/14 blackout, and I never lost connection, sync, or speed. The winds of Isabel? No effect. Average speed always within a few ticks of 5000/900 - best download was 5700, best upload 1200. I still have the Motorola SB4200, but I may upgrade to the SB5200 when I buy a new PC in the next few months. CV dropped the discount from $10 to $5 for TV customers, but $45 (44.95) is still reasonable, especually for the speed.

7 month update 5/16/03

Since that wiring correction in February (described below), OOL has been flawless. Consistent 5400/915 speed, day in, day out, no problems during rain or snow. If it's in your area and you don't have it, make the call. Do make sure the installer runs fresh cable if you're not sure how old the existing coax is (doesn't change your speed, just a HUGE reliability difference), but once that's in place, your internet experience will never be the same.

Tech support 2/11/03

Lost sync on Wednesday night 2/6. Usually when it drops, it's back in 24-48 hours, especially in bad weather. In this case, it was right adrer 2 days of very high winds - gusts near 50. Friday, we had snow, and still sync-less. So I called tech support Saturday. No problems reported at their server or in the area. No available appointments for Sunday, Monday was bad for me, but I could take off Tuesday, so I picked 11a-2p. Tech calls around 12:30 to say he's on his way, and that there are others in my development with internet issues as well, so it may be on the pole. He comes in and examines my setup. The coax that runs in the bedroom was pretty old and worn, and he said that was likely the problem, not to mention the splitter from the main line was also an older type that shouldn't have been used with digital service. Goes out to the van for a roll of coax, cuts it to length with a few feet of slack, crimps new connectors, installs the new splitter, and the modem lights up almost immediately. Turn on the PC, run a speed test, and boom, back up to 5100K down/950K up. Good tech, computer literate, examined the situation and diagnosed it in minutes instead of hours (or worse, the "I'll have to come back tomorrow" - see below). Great experience.

3 month update 1/23/03

A couple of glitches during the last 90 days with outages, about 1 a month, but nothing too terribly annoying, and I still have my 56K dialup as backip when absolutely needed. Speed is generally consistent at about 4500-5000K down and 900K up. No complaints with accessing websites or other mail/news servers at all (I essentially don't use the optonline.net servers). All in all, a great ride so far..

Original 10/25/02

Moved this month from Teaneck NJ to Mt. Arlington NJ. I had Verizon DSL in Teaneck with zero complaints since Feb 2002 - paid for 768/128 and was averaging 710/130. I checked with Verizon, and while the local CO for Mt. Arlington was a DSL CO, my apartment complex was not on yet. So rather than suffer through dial-up until they did, I chose to order Cablevision and OOL together. TV installation was no problem, but the installation tech seemed very unprepared for the OOL install. I left specific instructions to use the ethernet connection instead of the USB (my mom came over and watched him, as I had to go to work shortly after he got there 10/24). When I got home, I found that A) he had installed the USB anyway which caused some kind of conflict with my USB printer (the ethernet cable was still in its sealed plastic bag), and B) there was no OOL setup CD, just the Motorola driver CD which meant I can't actually register my account yet. He told my mom he had to get an "ISA card" and would be back first thing the following morning (today 10/25) by 10am. Never called, never showed by the time I had to leave for work (11:30am).

Neverthless, the connection was on, and I decided to run a speed test.

First time out of the box, I got 4515/200. No, that is not a typo: 4515 down. Just a notch below "Dude!" on the speed chart. Three times as fast as the T1 at work (although the work T1 smokes it in uploads 1500/1500)

Who knows when the cable guy will be back with the proper hardware and softwware I requested and need, but for now, I'll enjoy the DL speed. If you already have Cablevision, just get the DIY kit and don't worry about "I'll be back later/tomorrow/next week"

Comments:

Review by thinkpad See Profile

• Location: Stamford,Fairfield,CT
Good "Fast FAst FAST!"
Bad "None at this time"
Overall "Get this service"

·NETPLEX
It's Fast, Fast, Fast

Not really more that I can say at the moment.

member for 14.5 years, 4456 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by obeythelaw See Profile

• Location: Bayonne,Hudson,NJ
Good "Relatively fast and pretty reliable"
Bad "Not much."
Overall "Speed is good and relatively reliable. Optimum offered a great triple play deal"

OOL is simply one of the best ISP's around. Many people complain out the news server or port blocking and capping. I guess I'm an average user but I've never experienced any of that. All I experience is pretty fast speed!

Update 10/15/2004: Well, I've been with OOL for close to three years. I've never really had any problems with OOL. Speed is fast and I rarely see any downtime. Notwithstanding this, I decided to give Verizon DSL a try for 30 days. All I have to say is that after 2 days I am definitely sticking with OOL. First of all, I could "feel" slower on DSL. I guess I am spoiled by OOL's speeds but its just too slow. Second, my line was provisioned at 1.5/364. I confirmed this with two people. However, I noticed that as soon as I got DSL my download speed was half that. After two days of speaking with tech support, who I might add are courteous but somewhat clueless, they could not figure out why I wasn't getting the full speed I was provisioned at. Their final suggestion was that either 1) I should move my modem away from any magnetic interference or 2) that in the evenings, the network servers can slow down. My second gripe is that I tried networking my DSL connection. That was relatively easy. However, because I wasn't getting full speed, and even if I were, if my entire family was wirelessly connecting to the Internet at the same time, my speed took a major hit. Not so with OOL. Because OOL offers more bandwidth more people can be networked without feeling bandwidth slowdown. All, in all, I am not happy with Verizon DSL. Don't get me wrong. It's good for those that can't get anything else. But when OOL is an option, OOL beats DSL hands down.

Update 3-8-05--Well, this may be the straw that breaks the camel's back. OOL has begun throttling its connections for its members. Plan on downloading that 100 MB piece of software? The connection is now throttled instead of the normal speed you used to get. It's been throttled so much that it now matches Verizon's highest speed at around 3MB down. Also, many people, including myself, have begun experiencing annoying DNS issues. With all of this stuff, I'm afraid I may have to reconsider my shortlived Verizon experience and give Verizon a call.

Update 8-16-05: After being with OOL for more than 3 years, I think I've seen anything and everything that can be good and bad about OOL. I have to say that the good has outweighed any bad during the time I have had OOL. OOL is still reliable and rarely goes out. Email is now more stable than it probably has ever been. I no longer achieve the "max" speeds of 9000/1000 but its still faster than what I would get with DSL. The only thing that would make me switch now is if FIOS became available to me. Overall, I would still say that OOL is a good broadband provider with good speeds and reliability and low pings overall. Still a bit pricey but all of the cable providers are. Like I said, if FIOS became available, maybe then would I consider a switch. For now, I'm sticking with OOL.

5-16-06: I've been with OOL now for almost 5 years. Its been above average throughout the time. However, I can now feel my node completely saturated. So much so that in the evenings my speeds almost come to a crawl. But surfing the internet at 3:00 a.m. seems to be okay. When FIOS becomes available I will likely consider switching. Also, OOL has yet to provide BOOST or even the 15/2 speeds in my area yet. It seems like so many other areas have had it for a while.

6-3-06: Well, finally got upgraded to the 15/2 speeds. Its nice, but I notice a drop at peak times. Overall, pretty good. Haven't had mail problems in over a year. All in all, Optimum Online has proven that it can offer reliable, albeit, sometimes oversaturated speeds, for an okay price. If FIOS comes along I think I would try it out, but for now, OOL beats the competition.

12-10-16: I've had the 15/2 upgrade for some time. It comes close to about 11/1.5. OOL has now become consistent in terms of speed and overall reliability. Can't complain.

12-5-2014: I've now had the triple play for more than a month. TV quality is great. For me it is just as good as I had with Fios. The phone service is fine. I've got the 50/25 plan right now and am getting speeds as advertised. Best of all, I've got a 2 year rate guarantee except for the 50/25 as that expires after 1 year. The only thing that I'm not a huge fan of is the cloud based DVR. The DVR box is a bit slow when fast forwarding or rewinding and I suspect it is because of the cloud based functionality and no real hard drive spinning in the box. The user interface also is a bit ugly. However, in the end, Optimum offered an attractive triple play price that saves me about $100.00 per month compared to what I had with Fios.

member for 11.7 years, 5156 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by andrewc2 See Profile

• Location: Matamoras,Pike,PA
Good "Price is negotiable over time, Internet Speeds Awesome!"
Bad "Cableboxes are a bit expensive especially if you need 5x"
Overall "Best Internet Available"

We've had Cablevision for 9 years and all we've seen is the price go up! However I was able to call the retention department and negotiate a $20/month credit for the next year which greatly helps. At the same time they just lowered the cost of Boost Plus (Ultra 50) to $4.95/month and was able to have that added as well.

Currently 4 of 5 cable boxes I have on promotion from the Digital switchover which hopefully we can renegotiate in October or our bill is going up $27/month!

Ultra 50 provisioning happened immediately as I already had a Arris TM822G which is the latest DOCSIS 3 modem CV is using. Getting 60mbps down / 26mbps up consistently which is great!

Had some issues a few years ago not getting my full basic 15/2 (Now 15/5) speeds, ended up needing a DOCSIS 3 modem which cleared that up, everything has been great since then! I just wish the price was a bit lower!

Update 2014: Down to 2 boxes and a Tivo with Cablecard, CV isn't offering better rates from retention any more just free products usually. Internet in my area has been odd recently high packet loss and lag spikes in games. The techs found some sporadic noise in the system which fixed the packet loss but not the lag spikes. I'll be getting back on service about that soon.

member for 3.6 years, 977 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by vliscony See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
Good "value prop"
Bad "The internet speeds are not up to par"
Overall "Reasonable budget service"

I have a triple play package with the ultra 50 Internet option.

For some reason the internet speeds deteriorate on my wired connection when the WiFi Router is plugged in, but recently they gave me a new router, an AC1750 (D-link DIR-868L), and with that the coverage is better throughout my apt, and I'm now getting 30/30 on my wireless connections (android phone, iPad, Kindle, etc), and 20-40 down and 10 up on my wired connection to my PC, which is at least tolerable.

With the first router, I could never get past 25 down and 5 up on my wired connection with the router plugged in, so this new model was quite an improvement. The phone service has been fine, and the TV is reasonable. I'm not a heavy TV user anyway, but it seems to work fairly well.

In all I got better performance from Verizon FIOS, but it was not worth the price, and most annoyingly, everytime they change one thing, they make you sign for another 2 years, which feels like you're a dog on a leash, and you get yanked back everytime you see something interesting. Optimum has been a pleasure to deal with.

Comments:
andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

Something must be wrong!

Might be worth complaining about those speeds, you should be able to get close to 60/30 on both wired and wireless!

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28

Cablevision Contracts?

Were you talking about Verizon requiring a contract or Cablevision?

Review by jaa See Profile

• Location: New Canaan,Fairfield,CT
Good "Unmatched speed, great price, great support"
Overall "Best value anywhere"

·Vonage
These guys are the best. Caps are 10megabits down, and 1megabit up. I've never had speed slowdowns - consistent 9500/950 speeds. They do put some limits on you if you upload huge amounts - does not affect me.

Had the service for over 7 years, no significant problems or downtime.

Update: They raised the caps to 15/2!! No increase in price. I get consistent 13.5/1.8 speeds.

Update: They eliminated "capping" where they used to limit your upload speed to 150kbps if you uploaded a lot.

Update: Still working great!! No issues.

Update May, 2009: Been about 9 years. Not had any problems - consistent speeds, rare outages.

Update November, 2009: Still going strong. Moved to a new address, transfer went fine.

Update September, 2010: 10 years and still rock solid.

Update November, 2011: Speeds are still "advertised" 15/2, but I get consistent 20/2 speeds with Docsis 3 and 5 bonded download channels on base tier.

Update August, 2012: Consistent 20/2 speeds. Service is awesome! Also taking advantage of the wifi hotspots - now I'm never at the limit of my smartphone data plan.

Update March, 2013: Great speeds. Lowered my cell data plan since I am using less and less since I connect to wifi hotspots a lot.

Update August, 2014: 55/25 speeds on upgraded tier ($5/mo extra). Don't "need" the speeds, but very nice now and then when upload pictures or downloading ISOs.

member for 14.6 years, 6822 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bobmay See Profile

• Location: Trenton,Mercer,NJ

In MHO Optimum blows Fios out of the water.

member for 13.4 years, 2408 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by smw315 See Profile

• Location: Edison,Middlesex,NJ
Good "Reliability, speed, prompt and professional service, cost"
Bad "None that I can think of, except for rare service outage (4 in 3 years)"
Overall "Good service, friendly staff. Overall rating on scale of 1-10 = 9"

I haven't had a bad experience yet, except for 2 short service downtime occurrences in the past year.

Service and technical staff is very responsive, friendly and knowledgeable.

Service speed is beautiful; but then again, I don't violate the Terms of Service either.

Overall rating = OK