Optimum Online page on DSLReports

Review by vliscony See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
Good "value prop"
Bad "The internet speeds are not up to par"
Overall "Reasonable budget service"

I have a triple play package with the ultra 50 Internet option.

For some reason the internet speeds deteriorate on my wired connection when the WiFi Router is plugged in, but recently they gave me a new router, an AC1750 (D-link DIR-868L), and with that the coverage is better throughout my apt, and I'm now getting 30/30 on my wireless connections (android phone, iPad, Kindle, etc), and 20-40 down and 10 up on my wired connection to my PC, which is at least tolerable.

With the first router, I could never get past 25 down and 5 up on my wired connection with the router plugged in, so this new model was quite an improvement. The phone service has been fine, and the TV is reasonable. I'm not a heavy TV user anyway, but it seems to work fairly well.

In all I got better performance from Verizon FIOS, but it was not worth the price, and most annoyingly, everytime they change one thing, they make you sign for another 2 years, which feels like you're a dog on a leash, and you get yanked back everytime you see something interesting. Optimum has been a pleasure to deal with.

Comments:
andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

Something must be wrong!

Might be worth complaining about those speeds, you should be able to get close to 60/30 on both wired and wireless!

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28

Cablevision Contracts?

Were you talking about Verizon requiring a contract or Cablevision?

Review by jaa See Profile

• Location: New Canaan,Fairfield,CT
Good "Unmatched speed, great price, great support"
Overall "Best value anywhere"

·Vonage
These guys are the best. Caps are 10megabits down, and 1megabit up. I've never had speed slowdowns - consistent 9500/950 speeds. They do put some limits on you if you upload huge amounts - does not affect me.

Had the service for over 7 years, no significant problems or downtime.

Update: They raised the caps to 15/2!! No increase in price. I get consistent 13.5/1.8 speeds.

Update: They eliminated "capping" where they used to limit your upload speed to 150kbps if you uploaded a lot.

Update: Still working great!! No issues.

Update May, 2009: Been about 9 years. Not had any problems - consistent speeds, rare outages.

Update November, 2009: Still going strong. Moved to a new address, transfer went fine.

Update September, 2010: 10 years and still rock solid.

Update November, 2011: Speeds are still "advertised" 15/2, but I get consistent 20/2 speeds with Docsis 3 and 5 bonded download channels on base tier.

Update August, 2012: Consistent 20/2 speeds. Service is awesome! Also taking advantage of the wifi hotspots - now I'm never at the limit of my smartphone data plan.

Update March, 2013: Great speeds. Lowered my cell data plan since I am using less and less since I connect to wifi hotspots a lot.

Update August, 2014: 55/25 speeds on upgraded tier ($5/mo extra). Don't "need" the speeds, but very nice now and then when upload pictures or downloading ISOs.

member for 14.3 years, 6731 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by bobmay See Profile

• Location: Trenton,Mercer,NJ

In MHO Optimum blows Fios out of the water.

member for 13.2 years, 2339 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by smw315 See Profile

• Location: Edison,Middlesex,NJ
Good "Reliability, speed, prompt and professional service, cost"
Bad "None that I can think of, except for rare service outage (4 in 3 years)"
Overall "Good service, friendly staff. Overall rating on scale of 1-10 = 9"

I haven't had a bad experience yet, except for 2 short service downtime occurrences in the past year.

Service and technical staff is very responsive, friendly and knowledgeable.

Service speed is beautiful; but then again, I don't violate the Terms of Service either.

Overall rating = OK

Comments:

Review by kdshapiro See Profile

• Location: Eatontown,Monmouth,NJ
Good "Very fast speed and above average reliability. Customer service is excellent."
Bad "Telephone help line routing system could be improved"
Overall "Very satisfied with overall service"

April 2014:
Still satisfied with the service which has been stable, except for a small recent outage. Ultra 101 service is fairly stable without any major changes in speed since the rollout last year.

Nov 2013:

Cablevision came after service call complaining of internet drop outs. They found a bad splitter. After replacing the splitter the issue was resolved. Very satisified with optimum voice, high def picture quality and internet service.

July 2013:

Just got new tier service at 101/35. Still pleased with Cablevision products and when needed, their customer support has been excellent.

Nov 2012:

Hurricane Sandy update. Was without power, as a lot of others, for two weeks. I entered the outage information on Cablevisions website and they promptly issued a prorata adjustment. Gotta give them credit where credit is due.

April 2012:

Since last review, service has been solid.

With Boost +, speeds have been very consistent. Testing 60/8 almost consistently. Modem is an SBV6220 with two Optimum Voice phone numbers.

I upgraded the house to the new Gold package. To make a long story short, the Optimum App was not able to play the new channels. I called tech support, cablevision said it was a line issue, Scheduled an appointment; the tech was here on time. Tech spent 2.5 hours, troubleshooting what was essentially a setup issue on the account, and resolved the issue.

What really set this tech over the top is, in making sure all of the TVs were getting good reception and receiving the proper channels, he noticed an issue on one TV. He wound up by fixing some cabling under the deck. This issue was not related to the original call. I actually wrote a letter of commendation to Cablevision about this guy.

December 2011:

Service has been pretty solid, with some limited downtime during the summer that was an annoyance at best. Added Boost+ since March. Total cost for service is now at $260, but includes 4 boxes, 3 of which are DVR. Gold plus package. Optimum voice and Boost +. Internet performance for the most part ranges from acceptable (35MBs) to excellent (58MBs).

The Optimum app for iphone has turned out to be very useful for scheduling on the fly recordings when you are not home, but thought you would be.

With Boost + I think Ultra is overpriced for most people.

March 2011:

Nothing out of the ordinary has changed since last review. Maybe one or two system outages that I can recall. I updated to Boost Plus, pretty much solid 50+/8+ on the speed tests.

The few times I called tech support dialing 611 from Optimum Voice makes it nice and easy to jump right into the queue.

I like tech support and don't remember excessive wait times.

September 2010:

Nothing out of the ordinary has changed since last review. Speeds have been consistent. I continue to be satisified with the service and the price point at which it is offered.

June 2010:

Nothing much has changed since May 2009. Within the last two months speeds have been extremely erratic. I made a service call, a Cablevision employee came right on time. Ended up replacing the modem with an a new SBV6220. Tech was very thorough. Speeds are now back to normal.

Other than this blip there have been no other issues with the service.

May 2009:
Triple play recently ended, No major outages to speak of since last review. Speed is consistent. Thinking of ordering ULTRA.

Dec 2008:
It's been about 7 months since the account has had the triple play for $185.

OV quality has been excellent. Internet service with Boost has seen a upload speed bump from 4.6mb to 5.2mb.

OOL for the last several years has had excellent uptime records and service since last review has been excellent.

Area has had a number of power outages and the cable modem is protected via ups. However, Cablevision should throw the battery pack into their VOIP modems for free, for those customers whose equipment is not protected. Why do they make you spend $40 on a batter?

May 2008:
Got OV, ported one copper number to OV, Cablevision gave me Triple Play. Installation went without a hitch. Tech found issue in feed to house from box and reran feed. Cablevision came a few days later to bury the cable. Netting everything together saving about $30/month.

Speeds have been great, service has been great.

Prior review:

In the area I live OOL is the exclusive provider. So it's a good thing the service is great. The account has Boost for $10/month. Policies recently have changed to uncap downloads. Rumor mill has it uploads might be increased to 10mb. That's more upload bandwidth than I was getting when I ordered OOL 7 years ago.

At my current location I had OOL come out for service visits twice. Both visits were handled professionally, with the techs doing exactly what we asked. I've been to the walk-in centers a number of times for different reasons, they sales staff was courteous and handled the requests quickly.

I've never had a problem with tech support, and have used them a few times. They were always willing to help and were very courteous.

Biggest complaint is with the telephone routing system, thank goodness I don't need to use it often.

Bottom line: TV and internet cost $195/month with gold package, Boost, 2 non DVR converters and 2 DVR converters. A bit pricey, but we are satisified with the service.

Comments:

Review by Play See Profile

• Location: Freeport,Nassau,NY
Good "Excellent downloads, constantly upgrading service."
Bad "TV Service has some issues"
Overall "OOL is the best cable ISP in the country!"

I have used OOL for a number of years and I say without a shadow of doubt that OOL is the best ISP ever!!! I installed it myself in no time at all, and the downloading speeds are astronomical! The tech support is not bad but then again, there's not many problems with the service itself. Being that they are now even going to fiber-optic cable, that improves it even more!! There were times I've peaked a download speed of over 100 MB per second! ABSOLUTELY BLEW MY MIND!! Other times I regulate at least 50+ MB

I do my speed tests here frequently and always get good results. I also check the reviews for OOL and out of all the people that rate it, maybe about 2 people gave it bad ratings. That's because they are in NJ or further out. The customer service is excellent. They are very professional at what they do, and they will diligently work with you with whatever issues you may have. I have no complaints of their customer service. The only problem I have with them is the TV service, but once I tell them about the problem, the promptly resolve the issue. So I'm always satisfied with how their business is handled.

I would take cable over DSL anytime! At $29.95 per month, you get up to T-3 connections and possibly more! You cant beat that with a aluminum baseball bat! If only OOL would extend to the rest of the country, that would end all problems! LOL. If its available in your area, I highly recommend you get it! IT RULES!

member for 14.2 years, 1748 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by andrewc2 See Profile

• Location: Matamoras,Pike,PA
Good "Price is negotiable over time, Internet Speeds Awesome!"
Bad "Cableboxes are a bit expensive especially if you need 5x"
Overall "Best Internet Available"

We've had Cablevision for 9 years and all we've seen is the price go up! However I was able to call the retention department and negotiate a $20/month credit for the next year which greatly helps. At the same time they just lowered the cost of Boost Plus (Ultra 50) to $4.95/month and was able to have that added as well.

Currently 4 of 5 cable boxes I have on promotion from the Digital switchover which hopefully we can renegotiate in October or our bill is going up $27/month!

Ultra 50 provisioning happened immediately as I already had a Arris TM822G which is the latest DOCSIS 3 modem CV is using. Getting 60mbps down / 26mbps up consistently which is great!

Had some issues a few years ago not getting my full basic 15/2 (Now 15/5) speeds, ended up needing a DOCSIS 3 modem which cleared that up, everything has been great since then! I just wish the price was a bit lower!

member for 3.3 years, 857 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by GeekNJ See Profile

• Location: Waldwick,Bergen,NJ
Good "Lightning fast speed and easy setup"
Bad "Rollout info (back in 2001) was inaccurate. Service was fast & reliable"
Overall "A terrific broadband option"

Though OOL sales kept saying "next quarter" for when it will be available, the wait went on and on. Finally, it was available and all that was required was a quick trip to the Wiz where I filled out the paperwork, picked out my modem and grabbed as much coax as I wanted (no charge) off the wall at the store to run a connection to where the computer will be.

After running the cable to where the computer is, I powered on the cable modem and in 30 secs I was surfing the web at 8300kbps down and 921kpbs up. Approximately 164 times faster then a good 56k modem connection for only $29.99 per month! Now everyone might not be able to acheive those speeds, but all OOL users usually have no problem getting above 3000kbps.

The OptimumOnline forum on DSLReports is terrific and one of the most active forums. There are a ton of great people to help you tweak out that extra speed. If you can OOL there is no reason not to!

Edit 1/20/03:

Everything is still going well. No outages other then maybe 2 or 3 10-15 min outages in the 1.5 years of service. Mail had some bumps for a couple of weeks about 1 month ago, but otherwise the service has been fine. Speeds are still fabulous. Price went up after the 1 year contract, but still not sure where else I could get a better value.

In the few times I've called support, primarily to help others, the first level has acknowledged an issue they were already aware of, or passed me right along to level 2 which handled the issue.

Here's to another 1.5 years of terrific service!!!

Edit 1/9/04:

Time for an annual update. I've now had OOL for 2.5 years or so and I still think it's terrific. Speeds are still top notch and the connectivity has been extermely stable. I'm not sure if I've had any outage in the last year other then the big blackout in the northeast.

There were a couple of weeks where many folks had some serious mail problems, but I was pretty much unaffected. I can understand their frustration, but it has been a while and mail complaints have pretty much stopped. SpamAway, OOL's BrightMail spam filtering implementation was not very effective for a while with a lot of spam getting through, but an upgrade to the system seems to have done a great job in catching spam. Without spam filtering I was averaging about 250+ spam messages a day and with it working now, I'm getting less then 20 every day. I hope it stays that low. OOL has stated they will re-enable the BulkMail folder which captures the marked spam, but they haven't done that yet, which would be nice in just knowing it's not catching anything I actually would want (a false positive).

The news server has been ok lately for me, though not as good as it was when I first joined. I'm not sure if OOL is actually doing anything to make it better or if the really big users that always complain have found alternative solutions which helped alleviate a big load on the system. I'm not a big binary newsgroup user anyway, but once in a while I look around and the speed has been fine for me. I have a free account to a text based only news server which I use to read all my text groups I subscribe to and that combination works extremely well for me.

In December, DSL actually became available to me so I ordered it and tried it out. Verizon shipped the equipment and it was activated pretty quickly. You can read about my Verizon DSL experience at »[OT] GeekNJ on Verizon?

Here's to another year of good, fast and hopefully continued reliable service.

Edit: 11/22/05

FIOS became available in my area and I have it installed and it's stable now. I called CV today to cancel OOL. They asked why and when I told them FIOS they said that they would have 15/2 by Dec 1st. Knowing it would be Dec 1st at the earliest I didn't feel like getting into it with the rep. Shen then told me I need to bring the modem in within 30 days. I said I own the modem - bought it in July 2001 before CV loaned them to customers. She said "Oh, ok" and that was it.

My service with CV has been fast and reliable and I don't have any real complaints. I switched to FIOS for a few reasons, some of which have to do with getting on the technology to understand it and another being to make sure there really is competition. Lots of folks make idol threats about leaving, suing, etc. I just quietly switched. Maybe I'll be back if FIOS is a problem or CV makes me an offer I can't refuse.

Update 4/26/14 - Switched back to Optimum from Verizon FIOS saving $90/mo for the same services. Initial speedtest showed 58 down / 28 up.

Comments:

WillRegSoon

@optonline.net

So what took you so long?

It's been nearly ten years -- why the switch now?

GeekNJ
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ
·Optimum Online

Re: So what took you so long?

Switched back to CV with top tier TV package and Ultra 50 plus Opt Voice saving $90/mo over similar FIOS package. Over 2 years that's a savings of over $2,100. No issues with FIOS service but price was getting ridiculous and they wouldn't negotiate until *after* I left and told them it was too late.
Tweaked your connection? | Mail Parse | Speed Converter

Review by uroberto See Profile

• Location: Piscataway,Middlesex,NJ
Good "Great download speed, 15-20 mbit down."
Overall "If you want speed, go with OOL."

Update 9/30/11

I came back in 2011 after several years without it. I got a promotional rate for 2 years. Speed is consistent with the advertised tiers.

Update 7/22/07

Service has been good the last couple of years. The 15/2 tier is more than fine for me.

Update 6/9/05

I just came back to OOL after being with Verizon for a year. I'm on that $29.95 deal for 6 months. Speeds are good 8-9 mbit for downstream just like in the past when I had them. I heard there were speed issues that just got resolved. I guess I came back at the right time. I'll see what happens in 6 months and call retention to lower my price when it goes up to $49.95 even if it is for a short-term.

Update 6/18/04

The mail server has had a few problems lately, but that's why I use a yahoo mail account. A few months ago I cancelled the cable TV service and I went to satellite (Dish network). My price, of course, went up to $49.95 which is too much in my view for broadband. Ever since then I've been looking to see if DSL was available. Just last month, Verizon DSL became available and I signed up. I'm currently trying it out and I think I'll keep it ($29.95 monthly rate). Optimum Online's download speeds are much higher, but I'm not a heavy downloader and I mostly browse the web. It has been great having Optimum online for 4 years, but I think they need to offer a lower priced tier as there is more competition now .

Update 12/30/03:

The price went up to $44.95, which to me was a dissapoinment, but overall Optimum Online remains a great value. Speeds remain great for me. A few months ago, Cablevision replaced my old Terayon cable modem with a new Motorola Surfboard 5100 due to packet loss. The new modem seems to work fine.

One thing I wish that Cablevision would sort out is the SPAM problem. They are working on their Spamguard service and lately I have received less spam that I used to get. People still complain about the mail server, but I hardly ever see a problem receiving my mail with OOL. I don't complain about the news server, since I don't use it.

Original review:

I got the Optimum online service in May of 2000. Nobody told me that it was available in my area, until a friend that lives in nearby Edison advised that they had just come online. So, I decided to go the Wiz and check to see when the service was going to be available in Piscataway. Much to my surprise, Optimum online had just come online in my town the week before. At the time, the sales rep. gave me three modem choices (Motorola, Terayon and 3com). I chose the Terayon, due to the fact that it looked better with my decor. Also, I signed a contract for 2 years for the monthly of $29.95 which was great.

Initially, I had signal problems with my Terayon cable modem. After a couple service calls and a splitter change the problem was solved. For the first couple of years, I used to get between 3-4 mbit downloads on average. After my node got upgraded in March of 2002, I started hitting 8 mbit downloads which was awesome. I've had a few outages in the last three years, but they usually got solved quickly.

member for 13.4 years, 2703 visits, last login: 205 days ago

Comments:

Review by snsr See Profile

• Location: Easton,Fairfield,CT
Good "Connectivity has been reliable and fast. "
Bad "No speed above Ultra at the moment."

Updating my ~6yr old review of Optimum online/cable/voice.

Network speeds are snappy, latency is low. Customer service has always been friendly and responsive. Techs are knowledgable where it counts but lack skills with regard to systems and networking.

Upgraded Boost to Ultra 101 the moment it became available. Steep initial installation fee (no longer required) was off-putting but worth it. My initial Ultra install used a DOCSIS3 capable modem from Cisco that has been replaced with an Arris model. Still no voice service from the DOCSIS3 modem as supplied by CV.

Would love to see symmetrical connection options as well as speed tiers above Ultra 101.