Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

Review by jbx2usa See Profile

• Location: Canton,Wayne,MI
Good "Fast when it works"
Bad "Hardly ever works, customer and tech support suck, no newsgroups."
Overall "If you have other options, I recommend you try them"

I live in MI and had Mediaone for both cable and cable internet for almost 3 years. Then, Comcast bought them and moved in. They suck! My cable rates have been raised 3 times, and my cable internet now has a "modem rental fee" of $5.00. It has taken almost 10 days for them to even get their DNS to work properly with the 70,000 users they brought in. I can't even say for sure it is working today... I just know I can get to yahoo finally today! To make matters worse, their tech support will lie and tell you it's your machine just to get you off of the phone. What is going to happen next month when another 110,000 @Home members are brought in?

Another bad point is that it takes at least a half hour to even get a hold of anyone on the phone. Their online support also sucks. Mediaone always posted the network status online (and via a voice message on a toll-free number), but Comcast makes you call and sit on hold just to check the network status... which, of course, they never know anything about anyway! Plus, they've gotten rid of all their newsgroup servers! What's next, bandwidth throttling?

I've already called SBC Ameritech DSL... I can't say they'll be any better, but as long as the damn thing works! I'll go with anyone who's not COMCAST! This company won't admit their problems, and worst of all, they just don't care! I can't support a company like that... I always considered Ameritech to be a crappy company, too...but I'm forced to give them another shot... thanks to Comcast! Buyer beware with COMCAST!

Look for my SBC Ameritech review...coming soon.

Update: My DSL will be activated very soon, and I'm glad. My comcast has gotten better, but still very erratic at best. One day I can access a web page, and the next day I can't. Downloads still suck, I can't even download small streaming videos. I can watch the images on a web page pop in one-by-one on some days. It has nothing to do with a proxy or any settings on my end. It's all on their end. They suck, what more can anyone say? Take your money to somebody who cares about your service.

Comments:

Review by Patton0 See Profile

• Location: Canton,Wayne,MI
Good "Always on..."
Bad "Not as fast as predecessor"
Overall "Lousy transition, but getting better."

Recently Comcast took over for Mediaone, initially the transition was a disaster, slow speeds (uploads and downloads), a reduction is services (newsgroups and such). During this fiasco, there was a bevy of radio and T.V. ads touting the new service. All the while there were many customers were without service, and needless to say upset with the transition.

However over the past week or so the service has improved, speeds are up, wait time for tech support is down. Also Comcast has aired new T.V. ads apologizing for the initial foul up and asking for patience, stating they are committed to making things right.

I still hold them responsible for the debacle during their introduction into the neighborhood, but they are improving, granted they are not yet where they need to be. I am willing to wait and see if they continue to improve, although a rebate on a month bill would not be a bad idea on their part.

Comments:

Review by uod2001 See Profile

• Location: Browns Mills,Burlington,NJ
Bad "Low bandwidth...high latency"
Overall "they suck"

What is there to say....speed is everything in broadband and Comcast just killed that whole idea with their caps.

Smart move boys....

Comments:

Review by thompson42 See Profile

• Location: Canton,Wayne,MI
Good "Cheapest broadband in the area, when it works"
Bad "Unreliable connection and DNS, botched Mediaone transition"
Overall "They suck, I fired them"

I've updated this review to include my current (Jan 2002) opinion of Comcast.

They botched the transition of their Mediaone customers to the Comcast-managed network. I didn't have it as bad as some, but it was bad enough to fire Comcast and go elsewhere. Although they promised that our connection speeds would be unaffected, my speed immediately dropped from 1430 down to 1100 down, and has since dropped further to a current 970 down, which is about 1/3 less than it was under MediaOne. Although I never lost connectivity after the cutover, and so was never locked out of my servers at work, web browsing performance was intolerably slow or altogether broken for me for a week after the cutover. Their tech support incorrectly told me that installing their transition CD was required to maintain service. The PC on which I installed the CD became much slower and more crash-prone, and I am still tracking down and fixing the problems it caused. Comcast DNS is intermittently unavailable to any computer on my home network, even now. I think Comcast's media statements regarding the transition problems have been self-serving and inaccurate. I think they have intentionally minimized the nature and scope of the problems that occurred and that remain.

The unedited text of my May 2001 review (right after install) follows.

Pre-sales info was targeted at the non-technical consumer (no info on speed, or whether static IPs were available). That's okay, I'd done my research already. Much to my surprise, they were able to schedule the install on the day I requested. The installer was prompt, pleasant, relaxed, knowledgeable, and eager to help. He is seeing a range of speeds from 1200 to 1900 kbps down among his customers. My speeds range from 900 to 1429 so far. The installer had no problem with me hooking their modem to my Netgear RT314 instead of directly to the PC.

Their modem is a COM21 DOXPort DP1110, a blue box just a hair bigger than a double CD case. They provide dynamic IPs via DHCP.

My only experience with a tech support call so far was when I called in my router's MAC address. I did not have to wait in a queue, and the person answering was pleasant and prompt.

The online tech support seems adequate. I was able to find the hostnames for the mail and news servers after about 10 minutes of searching.

The best thing about the whole experience: the installer referred me to dslreports.com for the tweak tests.

member for 14.8 years, 2791 visits, last login: 185 days ago

Comments:

Review by wmpenn See Profile

• Location: Harrisburg,Dauphin,PA
Good "Speed was acceptable at first"
Bad "Speed deteriorated as clientelle has grown"
Overall "Is it satellite time yet?"

Cable was touted as being pretty zippy - and it was. Past tense.

In our area (Harrisburg, PA) Comcast's number of connections has skyrocketed. They don't have the infrastructure to back it up.

And don't get me started on being part of the @Home fiasco.

We are currently experiencing only intermittent (and very brief) connections because the modems won't stay synched-up. I guess Excite is pulling the plug and Comcast is scurrying to transfer everyone to new system.

Tech-support is only available to those with patience enough to spend many long minutes in the electronic purgatory of their (Comcast's) telephone system.

We are but frail humans, railing against the corporate machine - which is sheltered behind the above-mentioned electronic purgatory.

Here's to the future!!!

B

Comments:

Review by jt426 See Profile

• Location: Point Pleasant Beach,Ocean,NJ
Good "none"
Bad "to many to list"
Overall "we are being hosed!!"

Regarding this comcast fiasco..lets all e-mail our local represenatives
and start crying out for a full investagation of this company. we are all
paying a pretty penny for nothing more than dial up speeds!! Lets take the
bull by the horns and put some heat under thier arses!!

member for 13.2 years, 18 visits, last login: 13.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by optides See Profile

• Location: Arlington,Arlington,VA
Good "Works great for early risers!"
Bad "Stinks in the evening!"
Overall "Well, it's still better than BellAtlanticNet/Verizon DSL"

Great changes in speed. Luckily, I get up in the morning and do a lot of my web business. In the evening, I say the H with it and eventually turn off the PC, go read a book, or drink a beer, or something else productive and off line!

Todays variability of speed: 1422/121 in the AM, 339/121 in the PM. And today, I hate to say, is a good day!

Things have gotten worse since the Excite At Home collapse, so maybe Comcast's inability to deliver adequate service is related. Maybe when they have their own system in place. Maybe, maybe.

Technical Support is a noble concept with Comcast and Excite At Home. They provide meaningful employment to morons and cretins. Like all Technical Support everywhere, one should attempt to self cater, and avoid the alleged help provided.

This is not always possible on connectivity issues, but...

Comments:

Review by blkspear See Profile

• Location: Hyattsville,Prince Georges,MD
Good "not certain because"
Bad " I have never had a sustained good connection...and speed varies"
Overall "ain't paying a dime until I can get good consistancy"

I am tired of waiting....my bad, my wife says EXHAUSTED! That means really, really tired. My connection was installed 11/22/01 and I have yet to get a sustained connection for more than two days. And to be honest, I can't even remember when that was. I've had several technicians and none have been able to resolve my problem. The first simple plugged the cable into the modem (not my computer) changed the computer name and left. The modem never made a connection until 3 weeks later, just before another tech came to do it right. By then it was like it is now, up and down, up and down. And now they want to charge me the $39.00. Oh no, not gonna happen. A tech is due to arrive today. We'll see what happens. When I came home this afternoon the modem (guess what I've been disconnected...I have to cut and paste and retry when I get back online) what I was going to say is that my cable modem was busy trying to establish a connection after having a solid one this morning. So, I am not a happy camper even though my downstream speed lists as awesom and my upload a paltry 126K, which from what I understand is acceptable...I guess. Anybody else in the Hyattsville, New Carrollton area of Md. have the same problems?

update...my modem came back on line in about 20 mins. If I could get DSL I would. The only good thing about COMCAST is that I'm not the only one. What is it, misery loves company.

Comments:

Review by BoOoOcH See Profile

• Location: Westland,Wayne,MI
Good "My connection stays on all the time."
Bad "No faster than dial-up, upload speed capped too slow, no news server, no VPN"
Overall "Until they get their act together, steer clear of this mess."

I used to be a happy MediaOne RoadRunner customer, in fact, the service was superb, but since I switched to Comcast on Dec 28, my service has been unbearable.

Pre-Sales Information: I am furious that the transition packet that was sent out to us stated that our speeds would not be affected that that we would enjoy the same service we currently enjoy. This was an outright lie. First, since the changeover, my speeds have been consistent with dial-up speeds (as confirmed with the speed test here), and large downloads consistently timeout. Secondly, they recapped my upload speed at 128k, down from 300k. I do video editing, and the files get big. Now it will take more than twice as long to upload those files to the FTP server we use. I cannot iterate enough how mad I am over this.

Connection Reliability: I guess I'm lucky that at least my connection remains active 24 hours a day. Does that mean that even with service this bad, I can't get some kind of refund for January?

Mail, DNS, News: The packet they sent to me was missing characters from my new e-mail address, which I had to do some detective work to figure out -- nice one. I guess they are working on the DNS issues. Oh, and what news server?

Value for Money: I am getting speeds like those of dial-up users paying less than half of what I am currently paying. Comcast lobbed off a bunch of useful features and is adding features I will never use, and they have boosted the price by $5, where is the value in that?

I am a patient man, and I think Comcast just bit off more than they can chew at this point in time. I give them 1 month to get their act together, or I will look for alternatives.

member for 13.2 years, 11 visits, last login: 12.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by a_h_roth See Profile

• Location: Takoma Park,Montgomery,MD
Good "Speed screams, when it's up"
Bad "No connectivity for probably 6 weeks"
Overall "These guys are unbelievable. Go with someone else, if you have a choice."

On December 13, I lost all connectivity. I called on December 15th and said I had no connectivity. Comcast didn't know what was wrong, and said that the earliest a technician could come out was December 28th! So I had to go for 2 weeks without connectivity. I telecommute. I was screwed.

I called consistently for 2 weeks, trying to get technicians to come earlier, and finding that there were a myriad of problems. I drove out myself to Comcast on 12/17 to swap out the modem, but this did not solve the problem. I spoke to at least 20 technicians. Tier 1 hesitated to switch me to Tier 2, but then proceeded to have me read the Mac Address, S/N, and reboot my machine (I had to do this with 6 different support folks).

When the technician finally came out n 12/28, he found:
* my machine was IP to a different node, but the wrong nodes were in the database. One table said "WS38" and another said "WS39". The "WS39" was switched to "WS38"
* my machine was renamed, and a new IP address was assigned, but I was never told
* the lines were fine, the modem was fine (although he never tested the modem, just the line)

He left before it was working, but said that it would in an hour. I demanded that he stay until it was working. He said "I can't do that". He left. It didn't work.

I called for three more days, and was told I could get a technician to come out on January 23rd! Finally, on 12/31, someone figured out that the problem was that I needed to be on WS39, not WS38. Both were switched. Voila!! Connectivity!

But it wasn't over.

My connectivity dropped out every 30 minutes for about 5 minutes. Gradually this increased to dropping out for 30 minute blocks. Now I lose connectivity between the hours of 10AM and 7PM. My prime work hours. Again, they won't send someone out until the 23rd of January, 2002. Almost 6 weeks without consistent connectivity.

No one knows what's up. An @home technician theorized that it was a bum modem again, but I don't have time to drive out and get a third modem, but a can't get a technician to come out until the 23rd. What am I supposed to do until then?

I've been reading about Comcast's customers going without service for up to a week given their network migration. Wimps.

I'm too far from the CO to get DSL. If you have the choice, get DSL. I'm enjoying dial-up right now, and cable modem (fast, I admit: 1.5Mb) at 3AM (which I need to use, since I have to go through firewalls for work, and my dialup reassigns my IP).

Fun.