Review by AlexDeLarge See Profile

• Location: Ypsilanti,Washtenaw,MI
Good "Once I finally reloaded the system from scratch and all comcast.net software was gone, I am connecting beautifully again"
Bad "Spent 6 hours on the phone, 5.5 of which was on hold, on Friday night, with no resolution"
Overall "Works great when it works. Avoid their software at all costs."

When the conversion from my wonderfully-running mediaone.net account to my comcast.net account happened, I was immediately thrust into the throes of agony, as I was unable to pull down any webpage from any server on any network in any area.

I gave them a few days to work out the bugs of the transition, and waited to call until Thursday (1/3/02). After multiple levels of hold music, and being disconnected several times, I am finally informed that there is an outage in my area, and that it would be resolved by the end of the week.

Friday, when I get home from work, I call back to technical support, where we find that there are no problems in the network, and I should, by all rights, be able to connect to the net/web without any problems at all (I had, by this point, still been completely unable to retrieve any webpage at all or send e-mail, everything else, I was able to do just fine). After spending 3 hours on the phone (2.5 of which was on hold), I finally got transferred up to "Tier 2 Support". I then waited on hold until Midnight (3 solid hours), with no response whatsoever.

Having had enough. When I returned home from work this evening (1/5/02), I grabbed my Quick Restore CDs, and proceeded to reload my computer back to the way it came from the factory. No settings were changed, no software installed. I ran through the IE internet connection wizard, and imagine that, everything worked famously, and has ever since. Where I was able to get 66/41 speed before I reloaded, I am now back to my old speeds of 1100+/200+ without any (help?) from comcast software whatsoever.

The bottom line? Avoid comcast.net until all the bugs are worked out, and they get enough tech support people on the phones to be able to handle the type of traffic they've been getting since the conversion(SNAFU)

Comments:

Review by cmcasey79 See Profile

• Location: Plymouth,Wayne,MI
Good "I'm getting rid of them next week!"
Bad "proxy server, no VPN, terrible mail server, terrible tech suupport, SLOW web page loading, reverse DSN not working"
Overall "Subscribe to Earthlink via Covad if you're close enough to the CO (you get 1500/384 speed)"

(1/5/2002)

Comcast has lost my business. Like evryone else using Comcast in MI, my connection has been TERRIBLE since they switched off or RoadRunner. It does seem to be getting better in terns of speed and availibility of websites now, but thye are too late. I have already ordered Earthlink DSL (which is 1500/384 here).

Comcast blocks VPN now (or you have to pay an additional $50/month), which ModiaOne never did. Comcast has a crappy proxy server slowing down (and most likely logging or spying on) every http request you make. My MediaOne home networking (3 IPs) has not worked since the transition, and the techs say they are supposed to be offering it, but do not know how (gee, how helpful!). Comcast has turned into a sorry company, that will probably be going bankrupt like @home if they keep their current practices up.

To top it off, a Comcast PR guy has told the FOX2 Problem Solvers that they consider the transition "successful"! I guess their dictionary must have the wrong definition for success. Goodbye Comcast... Hopefully WOW will be here when my DSL contract is up next january, then Comcast will be really screwed.

(2/10/2001)

Note, I am now placing my review under Comcast, instead of MediaOne, as my adrea has been sole by MediaOne (AT&T) to Comcast.

Well, I would have to say that MediaOne (now being transferred to Comcast in this area) has improved for me in the last few months. The speed is almost always 1500 down, and upstream is always near the 300 advertised. I think this may be due to me having a DOCSIS modem (unlike neighbors), which utilizes separate equiptment to access the internet, so I avoid the nightly bottlenecks. The biggest problems MediaOne (Comcast) has right now are routing problems, and continued mail server problems. This area has had alot of misconfigured routers lately, leaving many sites inaccessible. Hopefully, this trend will not continue. The mail server is also down quite frequently, with no explanation. Also, tech support STILL does not support the multiple program (which has been publically available for almost a year now!). I have changedmy ratings accordingly.

-Mathgod79

member for 13.8 years, 5885 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by themessiah6 See Profile

• Location: Albuquerque,Bernalillo,NM
Good "none anymore"
Bad "SLOW!!!!!!"
Overall "Half the speed now!!"

Before Comcast went on their own backbone I could get up to -300- KiloBYTES/second. Now I'm getting half that!! This is in Albuquerque, New Mexico. We were on the excite@home and everything was always fast. Very low downtime, etc. They sent an email telling us they were going to go to their own backbone.

Well, as of today, we are now part of Comcast's backbone. SLOW. Immediatley I noticed the DNS was pathetically slow. Changed to static IP and used a faster DNS. Checked my speeds and they all seem to be capped around 1200kilobits/second. HALF of what I used to get!! On Comcast's servers, I could reliably peg out my connection. And now, it's only half, which definitely tells me the connections are capped @ 1200.

Comcast promised that the speeds would not change on the crossover. They even say so on their own website- »www.comcast.net/connectioncenter/generic.asp

So now what???? They promise speeds faster than DSL!! What kind of DSL? the slow kind??

Comments:

Review by Cloud97 See Profile

• Location: Kenilworth,Union,NJ
Good "None Whatsoever!!"
Bad "Extremely Poor performance, Incompetent Tech Support,"

After my switchover date, (the 27th of December 2001) my service went down, and did not come back up. After Calling tech support almost every day for a week, and being on hold for at least 15 hours in total, and being disconnected several times, absolutely NOTHING was done. It was a simple modem provisioning issue that any competent tech should have been able to resolve within a few minutes. I finally called their billing dept, and told them I wanted to cancel my account. A "customer retention" specialist got on the phone and told me that if I would give him 2 hours, he would have me up and running. 24 hours later, my connection did start working again - Minus 75% of the speed it had previously. My download speed now is less than 800kbs, and upload is a whopping 60kbs. As of this morning, I noticed that my modem's activity light was **VERY** busy, even though I was not using the service. It seems that I am now being bombarded with ARP traffic, which makes the situation even worse. I hope someone can recommend a quality DSL provider in the northern NJ area. It seems that Comcast has lost a very large number of customers over this last week alone, and they are about to lose another one. Not only am I going to have Comcast's internet service disconnected, But I will disconnect their cable service too. Comcast will get not a single penny more out of me for any of their incredibly lame "services" again.

Monopolies SUCK!!!!!

Comments:

Review by slick1128 See Profile

• Location: Northville,Wayne,MI
Good "None"
Bad "Too Many"
Overall "I'm looking somewhere else"

This is an update to my yesterday's posting:

Wow, we're actually having more fun posting horror stories about Comcast then surfing the Internet. Let me update my connection situation since my first posting yesterday morning.

It's 5:26pm, just came home from my son's soccer games. Thought I checked how bad the internet access situation was with the hope that situation may improve a little now that Comcast had another day to "IMPROVE".

I should have figured that one day wasn't enough for the incompetent company to improve; I should give them at least another three months to do it. Of course, by then I probably be using somebody else's service.

If I were relying on their "high speed" internet access, I COULDN'T have posted this message. Lucky for me, I reach for my back up "high speed" internet access - my old reliable 38.8K modem!! Well, although it is only connected at 30K, its speed is so high compare to a dead so called high speed connection.

I cracked up this morning when I was reading an open letter from Comcast to us - Comcast's paid but receive no service customers. It is printed on back page of section C of The Detroit News.

They have the nerve to say that "The vast majority of the former MediaOne customers are now up and running on the new network ... All of our customers will continue to see improvements in speed and reliability as we FIND-TUNE the new network...", I was thinking ... yeah, we are up and running on the new network at high speed and is being improved from what - 200 bauds/sec - that basically what I have now, a dead connection most of the time. They are so vague (nature of running a business, at least the business guys know this!!) that they FORGOT to mention when these poor customers (WE) will see and feel the improvement!! They should be shame on themselves and all of us deserve refund!! May be we should start a refund drive ... good idea. Who wants to volunteer to lead ... Hello!!

Comments:

Review by NoStatic See Profile

• Location: White Lake,Oakland,MI
Good "Killer download speeds for 14 months"
Bad "System took a major dump yesterday"
Overall "I will give them a month to get it together"

I statred out with ATT@home 14 months ago. My speedtest results have always been great here in White Lake, Mi. 2200 to 2500 down

and 95 to 105 up. No change when Comcast took over several months ago. Four days ago, things seemed a little bogged down, so I ran the speed test on the 2 available servers. Download had dropped down to 1800, still not bad, but I was hoping it was just tempoary. Last

nite, after logging into a Quake 3 server where my ping time is usally 45-60, I get 1700. I run a ping plot on the server, and all hops after the first 2 are all over the map. I decide to run another speed test, and both servers report less than 450 down. Comcast is supposed to switch us over to their system near the end of this month. I just hope this will not be the norm. Update Note: I wanted

Comments:

Review by whizzard See Profile

• Location: Westland,Wayne,MI
Good "none"
Bad "everything"
Overall "My problems are solved"

Here is the real deal and how I am fixing my problem with this whole slow, can't connect half the time fiasco in Westland, Michigan: I ordered Directv dsl 1-3-2002 3-4 weeks install (wanted to beat the rush for DSL), and wide open west will be here 1-5-2002 to install my new cable tv service.

When ConCast sends me the final bill , I will gladly pay them...$5 a month (we'll call it the high speed payment plan) for ruining my being a loyal and I might add spoiled mediaone customer for over 3 years with near flawless internet service and a pretty competent tech. staff. Good luck to all of you that are forced to put up with this crap from such an uncaring business as I don't see any of this getting better or at least reliable before March. That is way too long and totally unacceptable to me.

Goodbye Comcast! May you pack your bags ASAP and get the hell out of Westland, YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

member for 12.8 years, 32 visits, last login: 12.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by Kueller See Profile

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI
Good "Good question."
Bad "DNS, Speed, Tech support,"
Overall "Can I have roadrunner back? Please!"

Wow, my connection speeds went from 1500+/275 to 230/33 when we switched from Road runner to comcast on the 29th. That is of course assuming anything would load at all. 2-3 treis to load a page are normal now and in a head to head comparison of the 28.8k modem on my old computer and the cable modem the 28.8 won 5 out of 6 pages.

I attempted to contact comcast and inform them that I wanted a discount sicne their service was crap and they are not providing the 5 emails addresses promised in the contract unfortunately I could not get through on the phone or with email. Maybe they'll figure it out when I only send in $10 this month. Then again after the organization I've seen they probably won't notice that either.

I really wish I could rate the DNS/mail/news category below 1 seeing as how I cannot access any number fo websites I regularly visit, there is no longer and newsgroup support and I have only 1 email address I was not able to choose myself. A rating of -5 would seem more appropriate.

member for 12.8 years, 10 visits, last login: 12.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by Oakley4595 See Profile

• Location: Linwood,Atlantic,NJ
Good "None... Yet"
Bad "No E-Mail, Slow Connections, Unreliable Connections"
Overall "It SUCKS for now, and since i wrote this... it still does"

During Excite@home's rule, I have been getting speeds that rocked... but since Comcast "tried" to take it over... it has been a nightmare. My download speeds have dropped below what the advertised speed is, and the WebPages can barely load. It is starting to get better, but it still is worse than when I started with Excite@Home, and the service will probably never be as good again. Before Comcast took over, my bandwidth tests have been clocked above 2600, but after, it barely tipped 500, only if I am lucky. I spent 3 Hours on tech support, 2.9 Hrs of which, I was on hold. And they still did not solve my problem. And I had a simple question... How do I log onto »www.icomcast.net, because I didn't receive their package in the mail, that they said that they were going to send me... and I spoke to 5 techs, 5 different numbers and 3 hours of being on hold. I seriously think that they will get better, but not for a long while. Since I am going off on Comcast, I might as well tell you that it took me 2 and 1/2 months to get my cable modem (and this has nothing to do w/ it but it also took 1/2 of a year to get my digital cable from them). My connection used to be a static IP address, but its changing every time I restart my computer. I feel like I am being ripped off during this "Transition Period," and that I should get a discount for this month, because I am not getting the as advertised service. Overall I recommend that you DO NOT PURCHASE A CABLE MODEM FROM COMCAST, GET DSL IF IT IS AN OPTION, OR GET ISDN OR DIAL-UP, ANYTHING IS BETTER THEN THIS for a while, until it returns to its original state (and don't eat up all of my bandwidth).

member for 13.5 years, 82 visits, last login: 10.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by douellet3 See Profile

• Location: 48018
Good "NOTHING - May Comcast's Executives rot in hell"
Bad "Everything"

How can these lying sacks of crap tell the press that everything is fine?