Review by slick1128 See Profile

• Location: Northville,Wayne,MI
Good "None"
Bad "Too Many"
Overall "I'm looking somewhere else"

This is an update to my yesterday's posting:

Wow, we're actually having more fun posting horror stories about Comcast then surfing the Internet. Let me update my connection situation since my first posting yesterday morning.

It's 5:26pm, just came home from my son's soccer games. Thought I checked how bad the internet access situation was with the hope that situation may improve a little now that Comcast had another day to "IMPROVE".

I should have figured that one day wasn't enough for the incompetent company to improve; I should give them at least another three months to do it. Of course, by then I probably be using somebody else's service.

If I were relying on their "high speed" internet access, I COULDN'T have posted this message. Lucky for me, I reach for my back up "high speed" internet access - my old reliable 38.8K modem!! Well, although it is only connected at 30K, its speed is so high compare to a dead so called high speed connection.

I cracked up this morning when I was reading an open letter from Comcast to us - Comcast's paid but receive no service customers. It is printed on back page of section C of The Detroit News.

They have the nerve to say that "The vast majority of the former MediaOne customers are now up and running on the new network ... All of our customers will continue to see improvements in speed and reliability as we FIND-TUNE the new network...", I was thinking ... yeah, we are up and running on the new network at high speed and is being improved from what - 200 bauds/sec - that basically what I have now, a dead connection most of the time. They are so vague (nature of running a business, at least the business guys know this!!) that they FORGOT to mention when these poor customers (WE) will see and feel the improvement!! They should be shame on themselves and all of us deserve refund!! May be we should start a refund drive ... good idea. Who wants to volunteer to lead ... Hello!!

Comments:

Review by NoStatic See Profile

• Location: White Lake,Oakland,MI
Good "Killer download speeds for 14 months"
Bad "System took a major dump yesterday"
Overall "I will give them a month to get it together"

I statred out with ATT@home 14 months ago. My speedtest results have always been great here in White Lake, Mi. 2200 to 2500 down

and 95 to 105 up. No change when Comcast took over several months ago. Four days ago, things seemed a little bogged down, so I ran the speed test on the 2 available servers. Download had dropped down to 1800, still not bad, but I was hoping it was just tempoary. Last

nite, after logging into a Quake 3 server where my ping time is usally 45-60, I get 1700. I run a ping plot on the server, and all hops after the first 2 are all over the map. I decide to run another speed test, and both servers report less than 450 down. Comcast is supposed to switch us over to their system near the end of this month. I just hope this will not be the norm. Update Note: I wanted

Comments:

Review by whizzard See Profile

• Location: Westland,Wayne,MI
Good "none"
Bad "everything"
Overall "My problems are solved"

Here is the real deal and how I am fixing my problem with this whole slow, can't connect half the time fiasco in Westland, Michigan: I ordered Directv dsl 1-3-2002 3-4 weeks install (wanted to beat the rush for DSL), and wide open west will be here 1-5-2002 to install my new cable tv service.

When ConCast sends me the final bill , I will gladly pay them...$5 a month (we'll call it the high speed payment plan) for ruining my being a loyal and I might add spoiled mediaone customer for over 3 years with near flawless internet service and a pretty competent tech. staff. Good luck to all of you that are forced to put up with this crap from such an uncaring business as I don't see any of this getting better or at least reliable before March. That is way too long and totally unacceptable to me.

Goodbye Comcast! May you pack your bags ASAP and get the hell out of Westland, YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

member for 12.6 years, 32 visits, last login: 12.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by Kueller See Profile

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI
Good "Good question."
Bad "DNS, Speed, Tech support,"
Overall "Can I have roadrunner back? Please!"

Wow, my connection speeds went from 1500+/275 to 230/33 when we switched from Road runner to comcast on the 29th. That is of course assuming anything would load at all. 2-3 treis to load a page are normal now and in a head to head comparison of the 28.8k modem on my old computer and the cable modem the 28.8 won 5 out of 6 pages.

I attempted to contact comcast and inform them that I wanted a discount sicne their service was crap and they are not providing the 5 emails addresses promised in the contract unfortunately I could not get through on the phone or with email. Maybe they'll figure it out when I only send in $10 this month. Then again after the organization I've seen they probably won't notice that either.

I really wish I could rate the DNS/mail/news category below 1 seeing as how I cannot access any number fo websites I regularly visit, there is no longer and newsgroup support and I have only 1 email address I was not able to choose myself. A rating of -5 would seem more appropriate.

member for 12.6 years, 10 visits, last login: 12.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by Oakley4595 See Profile

• Location: Linwood,Atlantic,NJ
Good "None... Yet"
Bad "No E-Mail, Slow Connections, Unreliable Connections"
Overall "It SUCKS for now, and since i wrote this... it still does"

During Excite@home's rule, I have been getting speeds that rocked... but since Comcast "tried" to take it over... it has been a nightmare. My download speeds have dropped below what the advertised speed is, and the WebPages can barely load. It is starting to get better, but it still is worse than when I started with Excite@Home, and the service will probably never be as good again. Before Comcast took over, my bandwidth tests have been clocked above 2600, but after, it barely tipped 500, only if I am lucky. I spent 3 Hours on tech support, 2.9 Hrs of which, I was on hold. And they still did not solve my problem. And I had a simple question... How do I log onto »www.icomcast.net, because I didn't receive their package in the mail, that they said that they were going to send me... and I spoke to 5 techs, 5 different numbers and 3 hours of being on hold. I seriously think that they will get better, but not for a long while. Since I am going off on Comcast, I might as well tell you that it took me 2 and 1/2 months to get my cable modem (and this has nothing to do w/ it but it also took 1/2 of a year to get my digital cable from them). My connection used to be a static IP address, but its changing every time I restart my computer. I feel like I am being ripped off during this "Transition Period," and that I should get a discount for this month, because I am not getting the as advertised service. Overall I recommend that you DO NOT PURCHASE A CABLE MODEM FROM COMCAST, GET DSL IF IT IS AN OPTION, OR GET ISDN OR DIAL-UP, ANYTHING IS BETTER THEN THIS for a while, until it returns to its original state (and don't eat up all of my bandwidth).

member for 13.4 years, 82 visits, last login: 10.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by douellet3 See Profile

• Location: 48018
Good "NOTHING - May Comcast's Executives rot in hell"
Bad "Everything"

How can these lying sacks of crap tell the press that everything is fine?

Comments:

Review by jhofley See Profile

• Location: Birmingham,Oakland,MI
Good "None"
Bad "Service is worthless"
Overall "I'm killing service as soon as they pick up the phone"

I had MediaOne service for the last year and it was pretty reliable and plenty fast (1500down/300up). There were minimal routing and DNS problems on MediaOne's end. After I was switched over to Comcast last week, the service fell apart. I can't ping or traceroute most of the sites I use all the time. And the speed now is terribly slow due mostly, in my opinion, to routing and DNS issues. Getting through on the phone or e-mail is a waste of time. If they don't give me some credits, I'm will have the service deactivated ASAP.

Comments:

Review by splumb See Profile

• Location: Plymouth,Wayne,MI
Good "Are there any good points?"
Bad "Connectivity, reliability, speed, Tech support....."
Overall "Avoid, run away, flee."

Comcast seems to be going from bad to worse. Initially, everything seemed to be going well for us with the changeover from Mediaone to Comcast. The installation process went well. My only complaint is that it loads IE and Outlook Express (the worse virus spreaders I know of) without telling you what it was installing. The only indication the 'update' CD gives is that it is about to install some software needed to use your internet connection (not quoted verbatum). Though, I'm going to un-install ALL of it, including the support.com software.

Shortly after December 29, we couldn't download any E-Mail for about 24 hours. I thought, fine, there are a lot of people being converted, if this was all I had to worry about I could live with it until Comcast ironed things out.

Then my cable modem lost connection and for another 24 hours I had no connectivity whatsoever. I called the support number listed with the update CD and received nothing but a busy signal for my trouble. So I called the update support number which Comcast left on my voicemail. I acutally reached someone! Unfortuately, the only thing the person could say was that my cable modem couldn't connect to the network (really?!? I didn't know that) and that I she gave me a different number to call. This third number would put me on hold for about 10 minutes with a worn out tape of music and the occational "Please hold..." message, then silence. I could only assume I was disconnected.

Finally, my cable modem connected to the network. Unfortunately, my speeds are in the 830/130 (according to DSLR Tools) range. I'm used to over 1000. Plus, this dosen't take into account the fact that I have to try and connect to every web page at least twice with constant 'cannot connect to server' errors. There are many of my favorite web pages that are either totally inacessible, or are so slow it's maddening to visit them. Attempting to log into some web pages (such as DSL Reports, and Yahoo Groups) is unbelievably slow.

Needless to say, I am not happy. My only hope is that Comcast cleans up its act and irons out its network.

p.s. I'm getting "Cannot connect to remote server", just attempting to post this! Argh!

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI
Good "Nothing yet can be said good"
Bad "Poorly organized"
Overall "For the price the service is not worth it."

Folks,

Well I too have been caught in Comcast's botched change over. For me things
were humming along nicely until 1/2/02 then for some reason I was not able
to reach web sites (buy.com, yahoo.com, speedguide.net, etc). I then noticed
periods when my cable modem could not even get and retain a signal. After
waiting on hold for sometime and following directions from two techs on how
to recycle my modem and reboot my computer they came to the conclusion that
my cable modem was bad. Therefore I was to be contacted later about setting
up a time to have a tech repair person come out to hook up a new modem. But
no response came and in the mean time I received a bill for the month of
January's Internet Service. Again after trying numerous times I was able to
talk with a customer relations person. When I told them I did not feel
compelled to pay for a service which I have not received they immediately
gave me credit for 4 days and told me a service tech will be at my house
between 1 and 5 PM this Saturday. I really do not think they will come but
let's wait and see. If so hopefully he will have some understanding as to
why things are bonkers.

(review was emailed from domain compuware.com)

Comments:

Review by Timhogs See Profile

• Location: Dearborn,Wayne,MI
Good "Good install, good speed until the recent chageover"
Bad "Very Very poor performance since changeover, 1/3 of all pages tried don't load, potentially false advertising on web page."
Overall "Avoid them like the plague, wherever possible (Currently being investigated by Michigan AG, 1-11-02)"

Comcast recently migrated from @home to AT&T broadband in the Detroit area, and botched it completely. Comcast advertising on their webpage says that the transition is complete and the service is running smoothly, but discussion groups I've read and the ratings here on DSLreports.com tell us that this is false advertising. I'd be happy to share my experiences with a good shark lawyer who might want to take Comcast on over this.

Update, January 9, 2002: Well, things came back up on Monday and stayed up on Tuesday, but died again this Wednesday morning. So far my payment to Comcast will be about $17 short this month for lack of service.

member for 12.6 years, 20 visits, last login: 10.8 years ago