Review by blkspear See Profile

• Location: Hyattsville,Prince Georges,MD
Good "not certain because"
Bad " I have never had a sustained good connection...and speed varies"
Overall "ain't paying a dime until I can get good consistancy"

I am tired of waiting....my bad, my wife says EXHAUSTED! That means really, really tired. My connection was installed 11/22/01 and I have yet to get a sustained connection for more than two days. And to be honest, I can't even remember when that was. I've had several technicians and none have been able to resolve my problem. The first simple plugged the cable into the modem (not my computer) changed the computer name and left. The modem never made a connection until 3 weeks later, just before another tech came to do it right. By then it was like it is now, up and down, up and down. And now they want to charge me the $39.00. Oh no, not gonna happen. A tech is due to arrive today. We'll see what happens. When I came home this afternoon the modem (guess what I've been disconnected...I have to cut and paste and retry when I get back online) what I was going to say is that my cable modem was busy trying to establish a connection after having a solid one this morning. So, I am not a happy camper even though my downstream speed lists as awesom and my upload a paltry 126K, which from what I understand is acceptable...I guess. Anybody else in the Hyattsville, New Carrollton area of Md. have the same problems?

update...my modem came back on line in about 20 mins. If I could get DSL I would. The only good thing about COMCAST is that I'm not the only one. What is it, misery loves company.

member for 13 years, 1 visits, last login: 13 years ago

Comments:

Review by BoOoOcH See Profile

• Location: Westland,Wayne,MI
Good "My connection stays on all the time."
Bad "No faster than dial-up, upload speed capped too slow, no news server, no VPN"
Overall "Until they get their act together, steer clear of this mess."

I used to be a happy MediaOne RoadRunner customer, in fact, the service was superb, but since I switched to Comcast on Dec 28, my service has been unbearable.

Pre-Sales Information: I am furious that the transition packet that was sent out to us stated that our speeds would not be affected that that we would enjoy the same service we currently enjoy. This was an outright lie. First, since the changeover, my speeds have been consistent with dial-up speeds (as confirmed with the speed test here), and large downloads consistently timeout. Secondly, they recapped my upload speed at 128k, down from 300k. I do video editing, and the files get big. Now it will take more than twice as long to upload those files to the FTP server we use. I cannot iterate enough how mad I am over this.

Connection Reliability: I guess I'm lucky that at least my connection remains active 24 hours a day. Does that mean that even with service this bad, I can't get some kind of refund for January?

Mail, DNS, News: The packet they sent to me was missing characters from my new e-mail address, which I had to do some detective work to figure out -- nice one. I guess they are working on the DNS issues. Oh, and what news server?

Value for Money: I am getting speeds like those of dial-up users paying less than half of what I am currently paying. Comcast lobbed off a bunch of useful features and is adding features I will never use, and they have boosted the price by $5, where is the value in that?

I am a patient man, and I think Comcast just bit off more than they can chew at this point in time. I give them 1 month to get their act together, or I will look for alternatives.

Comments:

Review by a_h_roth See Profile

• Location: Takoma Park,Montgomery,MD
Good "Speed screams, when it's up"
Bad "No connectivity for probably 6 weeks"
Overall "These guys are unbelievable. Go with someone else, if you have a choice."

On December 13, I lost all connectivity. I called on December 15th and said I had no connectivity. Comcast didn't know what was wrong, and said that the earliest a technician could come out was December 28th! So I had to go for 2 weeks without connectivity. I telecommute. I was screwed.

I called consistently for 2 weeks, trying to get technicians to come earlier, and finding that there were a myriad of problems. I drove out myself to Comcast on 12/17 to swap out the modem, but this did not solve the problem. I spoke to at least 20 technicians. Tier 1 hesitated to switch me to Tier 2, but then proceeded to have me read the Mac Address, S/N, and reboot my machine (I had to do this with 6 different support folks).

When the technician finally came out n 12/28, he found:
* my machine was IP to a different node, but the wrong nodes were in the database. One table said "WS38" and another said "WS39". The "WS39" was switched to "WS38"
* my machine was renamed, and a new IP address was assigned, but I was never told
* the lines were fine, the modem was fine (although he never tested the modem, just the line)

He left before it was working, but said that it would in an hour. I demanded that he stay until it was working. He said "I can't do that". He left. It didn't work.

I called for three more days, and was told I could get a technician to come out on January 23rd! Finally, on 12/31, someone figured out that the problem was that I needed to be on WS39, not WS38. Both were switched. Voila!! Connectivity!

But it wasn't over.

My connectivity dropped out every 30 minutes for about 5 minutes. Gradually this increased to dropping out for 30 minute blocks. Now I lose connectivity between the hours of 10AM and 7PM. My prime work hours. Again, they won't send someone out until the 23rd of January, 2002. Almost 6 weeks without consistent connectivity.

No one knows what's up. An @home technician theorized that it was a bum modem again, but I don't have time to drive out and get a third modem, but a can't get a technician to come out until the 23rd. What am I supposed to do until then?

I've been reading about Comcast's customers going without service for up to a week given their network migration. Wimps.

I'm too far from the CO to get DSL. If you have the choice, get DSL. I'm enjoying dial-up right now, and cable modem (fast, I admit: 1.5Mb) at 3AM (which I need to use, since I have to go through firewalls for work, and my dialup reassigns my IP).

Fun.

Comments:

Review by wwmarcww See Profile

• Location: East Rutherford,Bergen,NJ
Good "Quick install"
Bad "Customer service helpless...level 1 and 2"
Overall "DO NOT USE"

I was originally a Road Runner subscriber and perfectly happy, i always got great speeds and never a minute of downtime over the year that I used them. Then I moved into Comcast territory.

It started off well, the order and install went great, and the first 3 weeks of service was fantastic, I was getting good speeds up and down. Then my service suddenly went away. I could not connect at all, I checked all my settings and everything was fine. So I give Comcast CS a call, after 1 hour on hold I get a useless level 1 rep who makes me do the usual routine( reboot, power off and on modem, check configs) all the things I have already doen 5 times. After all that fails, I get disconnected from the CS rep!!!!!! SO I call back, I wait 1 1/2 hours on hold and get another rep, who makes me do the routine all over again. He figures out that he cannot fix my problem so he gives me a ticket # and transfers me to level 2. Level 2 turn out to be a busy line!!!! So I call back again and after 1 1/2 hours on hold again I hang up.

I call back the next day and wait 45 minutes on hold, then I get connected to a level 2 CS rep. After 20 minutes of trouble shooting, he figures out the all my accoutn info was deleted during the conversion of Comcast@home to Comcast direct. So he says he cannot enter in the information and I must be transferred back to level 1!!!! I agree and he transfers me to level 1 which then puts me on hold for 1 more hour. After someone finally picks up my call, they take all of my info to re-enter into the database. After she takes all the info I ask the big question" When will my service be back up?" Her answer was " i cannot answer that for you. It may be a day, it may be a week. If it is still not up in a week call us back." Then she hangs up on me!?!?! If it is not up in 2 days I am cancelling my service and going back to dialup. Horrible f'ing service. DO NOT USE THEM!!!!

Comments:

Review by maprx2 See Profile

• Location: Marlton,Burlington,NJ
Good "always on for now, transition was ok, no disks, don't need them"
Bad "no email, speeds are 1/2 what they where, tech support does not exsist"
Overall "dsl for me is only 454k d, so i have no other choices"

speed is 1/2 what it was and the price is the same
there is no tech support, they have no idea what you are asking.
if your system is down forget it, if you get a tech support person, forget it
2 hour wait to get no info or resolution is not worth it

just so you know the difference

before with @home i saw 2000- 2700 down and 100 up
now with comcast is see 700 -1200 down and 115 up

also no newsgroups, for now, false promises, no email (told that was a free service)

Comments:

Review by Tommy2watt See Profile

• Location: Carteret,Middlesex,NJ
Good "None anymore"
Bad "Every horror story rolled up in one"
Overall "stay away unless you cant get good dsl"

What a joke, i used to get great speed/service now i pay $5 more a month and my speed is cut in half!! also i am not even getting what they advertise (which is not what i signed up for to begin with)

email servers are flaky
no news
transparent proxy (its on their end so you cant disable)
high pings
packet loss
dropped connections (lost sync)

dont torture yourself

Comments:

Review by davebopp See Profile

• Location: Point Pleasant Beach,Ocean,NJ
Good "None"
Bad "They simply don't care."
Overall "Only game in town."

Have been with @home for about 2 years now through Comcast. Service was pretty good with exception of local Comcast support - local people are nasty, appear to have very little training, and do not have any understanding of the cable modem process.

Switch to Comcast was attrocious - received an email at 6PM alerting me to the change at midnight that evening. Had problems so I called 800 number - 25 minutes on hold to get to someone who knew nothing about conversion - referred to tech service. Another 25 minutes on hold to be told servers were down in NJ. After probing for some info I quickly realized they had no idea of what was going on. They use canned tools/scripts to perform basic functions. You never actually speak to a real network tech who could probably take care of the problem in a very few minutes. When I mentioned that I used a hub with a private network in my home I was told that it probably would not work. The "technicians" are not properly trained or equipped to do a decent job.

As of this evening I limited access to news, email, etc. Tech support "Does not know how to access" and/or "when they will be available."

The speed of the "New Comcast High Speed Network" is considerably slower than I previously experienced with @home.

Because of franchising (controlled by politicians) they are basically the only game in town!!!!! I'd switch in a minute to a different vendor for similar pricing and performance.

member for 13 years, 4 visits, last login: 13 years ago

Comments:

Review by Swiftkill See Profile

• Location: Plainfield,Union,NJ
Good "Absolutely NONE"
Bad "Tech Support, Reliability of Service, & Communication"
Overall "NOT worth the Time & Money wasted!!!"

Was a RoadRunner subscriber from the start at my previous location and the service and reliability was flawless. My brother got OptOnline because he's stuck with CableVision...Their service is even better then RoadRunner's!!!

Much to my surprise and dismay, Comcast Cable and Internet are both extremely flawed and show no signs of improving.

When you have to call Tech Support and have to spoon feed them definitions of commonly used terms in the ISP industry (such as, What an IP address is, What is Cache, and my favorite....What is an URL!!!)...Then you know this compnay is growing way to fast and can't possibly meet the immediate needs of it's consumer base.

At this present time I would strongly DISAPPROVE of anyone who would like to try ComCast Service. Try Satellite for either Cable or Connectivity or Both...or try DSL.

If your are not computer savy and have to rely on Tech Support to explain why you can't connect or what is wrong with your service...You might as well use dial-up. You'll spend less time on the net using dial-up then you would be on the phone with Tech Support!!!

Read the other reviews...I am One of Many!!!

member for 13.9 years, 165 visits, last login: 10.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by bignova See Profile

• Location: Oak Park,Oakland,MI
Good "None"
Bad "Too many to list."
Overall "They are a sham!"

What a sham! I cannot believe the situation with my cable. With Mediaone I had great speed. They only shut down my FTP a couple of times. I never needed their tech support. Life was great. Along comes the CONcast merger. Now I feel like a prison bit_h and until I can schedule a DSL install, they will continue to SCREW me. I cannot live (work) without broadband. I recived the same letter as everyone else. I thought okay, what's with the kludge email address? They took the liberty to give me a new password that is weak at best. I'll bet they used the same basic format for everybody's password and you can probably just about guess other user's passwords. They send their spyware (conversion kit) disk. Yea, load this sucker! So I give them a little ring up. The first 'customer service rep has no clue about anything. The second level support clown could not explain why he could not supply DNS and news server addresses. I don't think he knew what DNS was and surprise there are no news servers! I explained not everyone uses Windows or Mac's and unless he had someone available to code a 'conversion kit for Free BSD that someone from CONcast had better be able to supply this information. I continued to say, 'I'm happy to make the changes but I need the addresses. If I have to find them myself, the search would create an abundance of unwanted network traffic and this would be a bad thing . Of course I didn't want to get shut down so I just waited and picked the DNS via DHCP. But the saga continues. I now find out today, NO VPN, or if you want it you are considered a commercial customer and your service is double the already increasing price. May I please pay double for the exact same service I was already getting from Mediaone please? A cable modem made it possible to do the occasional day of work or the 2:00 am on-call pager from home. What a joy it was not to have to drag out in the freezing cold and drive all the way to the office just to check on the care and feeding of one server. Well those days are gone, as will be my cable modem and my CATV. Comcast is forgetting, in this modern age, people have technology choices. We no longer have to take what is shoved down our throats just because it's the only thing available. With the advent of DSL and DSS, especially with the prices driven down from competition, now is not the time to provide a lesser product, crappy service and higher prices. This is just what Comcast has done. I say no more NO MORE COMCAST. People let your dollars speak. Make Comcast realize, consumers smart enough to get on the Internet are too smart for this.

Comments:

Review by ewsieg See Profile

• Location: Dexter,Washtenaw,MI
Good "I cleaned my garage yesterday because there was nothing else to do"
Bad "just about everything"
Overall "AOL is looking good right now"

My computer was down during the holidays and all i heard were the whore stories from co-workers and friends around Ann Arbor. I was hoping everyone was just upset about the price increase and were exagerating the service....unfortunately my friends were right. Sporadically yesterday i tried to bring up pages and was able to get to yahoo once, from there i never made it to anything else. I called tech support to see what they had to say. The guy told me that they were "downloading a fix to all your computers tonight which will drastically help out and will be doing the same on the night of the 7th" I asked him if he really knew what was going on and how long it really would be, he reiterated his first part again. After explaining to him that the problem doesn't exist w/ our computers and that i'd be happier hearing that it would be 2-4 weeks before it was fixed it that was indeed true he assured me that everything would be taken care of by the 7th. Another part that irks me is no VPN, currently i can still ssh into work and check mail and a few other things however my company is cracking down on that and asking us to start connecting through VPN. I was just about to sign up for a couple of classes as well through my company that i'm only able to access through VPN. Looks like i'll be spending more time at the office and i'm so glad that i'm moving within the year because nothing else if offered out here in Dexter.