Review by evoklan See Profile

• Location: Ypsilanti,Washtenaw,MI
Good "None at this time"
Bad "Some web sites unavailable, capped uploads, no USEnet news, frequent packetloss, frequent failure to completely load web pages"
Overall "Not worth the money. At least dialup works - can't say the same for Comcast slowband"

Ann Arbor, Michigan experience:

Comcast decided to migrate Mediaone/Roadrunner customers from a high-speed, 1.5 Mb/s down, 285 kb/s up, reliable system to a proxy service, spy-ware ridden, unreliable, capped service OVER THE HOLIDAYS WHEN EVERYONE IS AT HOME TRYING TO USE THE INTERNET.

The facts:

- Many websites simply will not load (DNS server issue)
- Many websites fail to load completely (overloaded proxy server? packet loss?)
- Comcast sent out a migration toolkit with a CDROM that causes problems on many computers. It changed my IP settings so that I could no longer connect to the internet.
- Comcast sent a letter that said performance would not be affected. DSLreports consistently tested Mediaone/Roadrunner at 1.5 Mb/s down, ~285 kb/s up. Comcast tests at 1.2 Mb/s down, and 15 kb/s down. This was a LIE.
- Comcast utilizes a proxy server with a single IP address so that many web sites refuse access to certain features since all Comcast customers use one IP address (at least in an areas).
- Comcast migration kit does not work, so email and web space is unavailable.
- Comcast raised cable and broadband rates at the same time as the migration.
- Windows update no longer completes downloads to apply critical security patches to my computers. The download simply hangs part way through.

Comments:

Review by jziggy4 See Profile

• Location: Dearborn,Wayne,MI
Good "no good points yet!!"
Bad "tech support = non-existant, speed=marginal at best"
Overall "find another provider and quick!"

Another Comcast DIS-satisfied customer.I didn't want to believe the worst I had been seeing until it happened to me as well. The switch from MediaOne.net to Comcast.net had to be the largest FUBAR I have ever participated in. My Mediaone setup was very current so I was not shipped a new modem. My modem and connection were already DHCP to the mediaone servers. So I expected a smooth transition. Nothing could have been further from the truth. On the change-over day Dec29th (who in their right mind picked that day or any day near a major holiday!) my service went down from Mediaone. But instead of receiving a new IP from the Comcast DHCP servers ( thats why DHCP is so nice ) I received a telephone call from Comcast telling me I had to reset all my equipment. Once I reset everything the comcast IP appeared, then disappeared and its been doing that ever since.I had received their update CDROM and was smart enough to browse it first before letting it do its dirty work. There was only support for Win95 and Win98. I guess those of us running Win2k and Winxp were out of luck. I called their help desk ( what a joke!) and after being on hold for mosre than 4 hours ( thank god for speaker phones) a tech answered the phone. I asked about the FQDN for my email servers and he said What?. Alright so maybe he wasn't a MCSE or MCP or even a A+ kind of guy. He put me on hold for another 45 minutes and then gave me the server names. Too bad there were not right. I sent a email to my local computer users group who all happen to be running cable and switching over that same time. They had all tried the same calls to techsupport and gotten different answers from each tech. How hard is it to post the server names to your website COMCAST? Probably nobody listening.Speed and connectivity are another joke. My speeds with Mediaone were 1000+ down and 200+ up. With Comcast's HIGH internet service I am lucky to get 300 down and less than 100 up.I use the cable internet to vpn or tunnel to my corporate office and everytime the system freezes or just disappears I have to relogin and re-establish connections to the Intranet. Today hasn't been too bad its only be down only about 6 times since 8am and its only 1300 now. I have already started looking for a better alternative. Earthlink is making nice promises and so are a couple other DSL providers.

member for 14.3 years, 32 visits, last login: 10.5 years ago

• Location: Canton,Wayne,MI

I agree!!! Comcast is as worthless as a runner with (2) broken legs or a flash light without batteries!!! I have experienced an appreciable degradation in service concerning both speed & technical support. I have tried to get through on several occasions & have received the "We are experiencing higher than normal call volumes..." message every time preceded by a message that indicates the conversion is
complete & that it has been successful. I cannot believe this garbage.
Talk about double-speak! What alternate reality are they living in. My
Internet access (e-mail) is out for 2-3 days at a time on several occasions. Then when it is up & running (I use that therm very loosely) it is almost as slow as the average telephone modem connection I've had in the past. Pages partially load or don't even load at all because they've timed-out.
I also cannot believe the "COMCAST-TIMING" of all of the commercials they are running on television & radio talking about the NEW HIGH-SPEED access that they are providing, implying that their services high performance & are unique in the industry. They can't even keep them selves on-line to cancel services, how are they going to keep me connected. They are unique. No one else has such poor performance or technical support. It takes more than 30 minutes at any given time of the day to get through to them for anything other than new service subscription. Then you get through quickly. The bottom line is that I don't know anyone who has Comcast & who is less than furious with the service & support.

Case in point is a gentleman who works for me. He was told ~ 2 months ago
when he called customer service that he would not have to get a new modem &
that there is nothing else that he would have to do to convert. He never
received any e-mails, as I did, indicating anything to the contrary. Then
last weekend his service was interrupted for the entire weekend without
notice or explanation. He called into customer service again & they were
confused. At first they told him that he was not a Comcast customer but
rather he was an AT&T customer even though his bill has COMCAST all over it!
Then they put him on hold for ~ 40 minutes. When they came back they then
told him that he was a customer & that he waited too long to upgrade. They
told him that he would now have to schedule an installer to come out to
install the new modem that he needed. Everyone else I know received theirs
in the mail. They also told him that they would not give him a more
specific time than 9am to 5pm on a certain day. If that is not disgusting
enough, after he made arrangements with me to take the entire day off to
take care of this, they called him at noon to tell him that everything is OK
now. "It was just a network issue."

I am advocating SDSL or satellite over cable until there is another cable
provider in our area. I can guarantee that any other service will be more
reliable that the idiots at Comcast can even plan to provide. Every time I
see their commercials I wonder why there is not a class action law suite
against them yet. To add insult to injury, they are upping my monthly
charges to replace something that is already in place & working better
(faster & more reliable) than their new improved system! If there was an
alternative to Comcast, they would be out of business in a heartbeat.

I would love to be a member of a group that formally & legally does
something about Comcast & the BULLSHIT they've been spewing all over
Michigan. Please let me know if there is such a group. Thank you for
providing this forum.

(review was emailed from domain compuware.com)

Comments:

Review by who26 See Profile

• Location: Ypsilanti,Washtenaw,MI
Good "?"
Bad "everything"
Overall "money hungry monopoly"

try working for comcast-i am getting a great laugh at all of these comcast reviews! I am very sorry for everyone who continues to pay for their service-as a former employee (disgruntled I may add) I can only suggest cancelling your "high-speed" connection. Get them where it hurts-their profit-obviously that is all they care about! You can beg and plead and even yell at the customer service/ tech support...but let me tell you...they dont care! Why should they? They are treated even worse than the customer if you can believe that! Even when an employee trys to help (because they see their fellow man getting raked over the coals) the acting "supervisor" just shruggs and sends the customer to their voicemail or even the fax machine! I've lived it and its pretty ugly. CANCEL YOUR SERVICE!

Comments:

Review by mwitch See Profile

• Location: Plymouth,Wayne,MI
Good "Festive Hold Music (You'll be hearing lots of it)"
Bad "110% incompetent, new increased surcharges, fewer features."
Overall "ComCast is a technological joke as is their staff and services."

My story is the same as many others who have posted regarding ComCast.

I was an avid fan of MediaOne. A stellar service offering stellar broadband [cable] performance and a knowledgable, understanding technical support staff to boot. There was no better ISP in my estimation.

On December 29th, everything changed. Literally, overnight the service having undergone the ComCast cludging went from all the aforementioned qualities to a poorly performing, featureless, careless and incompetent broadband monopoly who made you feel small and insignificant with this myriad of changes seemingly aimed at letting you know just how little power you had over your internet experience. Newsservers? Gone. Supplemental e-mail accounts? Gone. Performance? Gone. Reliability? Gone. Technical support? Gone. It's all gone. The company is gone and in it's place the bastardized remnants of a money-hungry monopoly hell bent on pillaging and pilfering it's customers like something out of a movie. I picture a cigar smoking, fat cat in his high back leather chair laughing as his assistant rains 100 dollar bills down onto his desk. The scared and hungry customers willingly giving up their money to avoid his wrath. What would he do if we staged an uprising? Terminate e-mail entirely? Specify login times for each customer? 12 kpbs up AND down stream? We can't go much further down then where we are now, folks. ComCast has no more rope left. They are the worst service in the short history of broadband providers. The absolute WORST.

member for 12.5 years, 14 visits, last login: 12.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by bonez04 See Profile

• Location: Northville,Wayne,MI
Good "NONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Bad "Exactly what everyone else is saying !!!!!!"
Overall "HELP....Will someone else please come to this area !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Same as other stories except I did not switch from MediaOne. I was already part of the Comcast hell (because I had no choice). Everything times out, and I have to continuously hit refresh on my browser, when I DO get a page, it takes 3-5 minutes to load (no BS). As for the tech support - put it on speaker phone and go have dinner (that is if your lucky and don't get the "all circuits are busy" or the pain in the ass "we don't work here, so we don't care" answering service). When I finally do get tech support they're like "oh yea, we're planning on rebooting DHCP, and DNS servers tonight, you will be fine in morning"......EHHH....wrong answer. It is second morning and i'm waiting on phone. Bottom line.....if I would've known, I would've actually moved elsewhere ! Good Luck

Comments:

Review by kmondrush See Profile

• Location: West Bloomfield,Oakland,MI
Good "none"
Bad "tech support, customer service, product., and they want to raise prices."

Mediaone/Comcast change is a joke. One week of slow page loading and page could not be displayed. Call tech support to see how long it would take. On phone from 7:00-11:00 and was disconnected 7 times. This a uncaring and vastly unprepared company. They should of stayed with Road Runner until all the @home people were up and running smoothly. Stay away from them for two or three months. DSL will be the future for most heavy users of the Internet. PS Comcast's service makes their commercial look like a joke.

Comments:

Review by SetiRich See Profile

• Location: Bloomfield Hills,Oakland,MI
Good "Good Points? None!"
Bad "There is no choice."
Overall "Read the review."

I'm not sure of what the specific issues are, but it seems that our Internet service has suffered greatly since switching from Mediaone to Comcast servers. In the first 48 hours of this new provider, either the servers were down (according to the Comcast help desk, reached after continual busy signals for the first 7 hours!), or the service was very slow. Pages and sites that only the day before had responded within a few seconds, now took many minutes, or simply timed out.

Whether the new organization had not reserved sufficient 'horsepower to handle the new people, or the transition was poorly planned, this affair was somewhat disappointing. Given the fact that this organization is also the cable monopoly for this area, I feel that we are suffering the pain of their growth, with little recourse.

In the second 48 hours, more of the same. There have been a few hours of service, but not with any dependability. And the help desk continues to respond with 'All our operators are busy. Please try calling later! Thanks for that advice. And thanks for the lack of common sense Help desk answer messages that should advise the customers of any general server outage. I thought all modern help desks had figured out that one! Apparently not Comcast. And the timing of this switch is interesting also. Just during the last few days of the year when most folks are likely to be home, and want to use their service, and most Comcast employees are (apparently) also home, instead of focusing on the service switch, one would think a service would not plan something like this. Oh yeah, this assumes there was a plan

During the second call to the help desk, the tech said there were over 80 cities down in Michigan. This was New Years Day. Also, he responded to my comment that the service appeared to be very slow ... with "...well, it's capped!" He further explained that Comcast had capped the service to provide more equal service to all it's customers. "Well, I didn't buy a capped service." I responded. "Who did you buy from?" he asked. "Mediaone" I responded. "This isn't Mediaone!" he said, "This is Comcast!"

So folks, that's how it's done in the year 2002. The media wars you read about in the papers end up screwing...not the stockholders...but you and me...the users caught in the crossfire. Like that feeling? Get used to it...I don't see any rescue on the horizon!

member for 12.5 years, 13 visits, last login: 12.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by nhildebrant See Profile

• Location: Dexter,Washtenaw,MI
Good "MediaOne was Great"
Bad "I had to hit refresh 7 times to load this page after 24 hours of downtime"
Overall "Comcast can piss off"

Absolutely rediculous. I wouldn't pay for this level of service from dialup. $60 a month is insane. I loath ameritech (thats why I switched to cell phones and cable internet) but they never screwed me this bad. If your thinking broadband in Michigan GO DSL!!! I'll be lucky if I can actually submit this form. It takes an average of 4 tries just to get Google to come up. Broadband my A$$.

member for 13.1 years, 23 visits, last login: 12.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by mschoech See Profile

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI
Good "Absolutly NONE!!!"
Bad "No News service, no tech support, no speed and NO Choice about it!!!!"
Overall "If you are Thinking about getting Comcast, think again; Dialup is faster!!!"

Ive had MediaOne/RoadRunner for nearly 2 years now, and the service was down once or twice for 2-3 hours, thats it. Now, Comcast wants users to sign over to a "new, faster, better internet." What can I say? I feel like blowing up Comcast's "High-Speed" Internet; it's THAT BAD. When I was with Road Runner my speeds were consistantly very close to advertised 1500/300). After the transition, I had no connectivity for most of the first day, and then speeds have dropped from 1500/300, to more like 128-300/50-100 even though the transistion kit indicated that speeds would NOT change. Also, we have no news server, our email address's are cryptic and not of our choosing. We are also having to deal with a transparent proxy that apparently is set refresh webpages every 15-20 minutes or so and is blocking access to MANY sites. To top it off, Comcast is jacking up the bill by five bucks a month!!. Oh yeah, did I mention their wonderful tech support???

I am looking into getting DSL through Covad. Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck finding information on user expereriences with EarthLink DSL in my area.

Comcast should burn for what they are doing. (yes, its THAT bad and I'm THAT bitter)