Review by nhildebrant See Profile

• Location: Dexter,Washtenaw,MI
Good "MediaOne was Great"
Bad "I had to hit refresh 7 times to load this page after 24 hours of downtime"
Overall "Comcast can piss off"

Absolutely rediculous. I wouldn't pay for this level of service from dialup. $60 a month is insane. I loath ameritech (thats why I switched to cell phones and cable internet) but they never screwed me this bad. If your thinking broadband in Michigan GO DSL!!! I'll be lucky if I can actually submit this form. It takes an average of 4 tries just to get Google to come up. Broadband my A$$.

member for 13.4 years, 23 visits, last login: 12.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by mschoech See Profile

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI
Good "Absolutly NONE!!!"
Bad "No News service, no tech support, no speed and NO Choice about it!!!!"
Overall "If you are Thinking about getting Comcast, think again; Dialup is faster!!!"

Ive had MediaOne/RoadRunner for nearly 2 years now, and the service was down once or twice for 2-3 hours, thats it. Now, Comcast wants users to sign over to a "new, faster, better internet." What can I say? I feel like blowing up Comcast's "High-Speed" Internet; it's THAT BAD. When I was with Road Runner my speeds were consistantly very close to advertised 1500/300). After the transition, I had no connectivity for most of the first day, and then speeds have dropped from 1500/300, to more like 128-300/50-100 even though the transistion kit indicated that speeds would NOT change. Also, we have no news server, our email address's are cryptic and not of our choosing. We are also having to deal with a transparent proxy that apparently is set refresh webpages every 15-20 minutes or so and is blocking access to MANY sites. To top it off, Comcast is jacking up the bill by five bucks a month!!. Oh yeah, did I mention their wonderful tech support???

I am looking into getting DSL through Covad. Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck finding information on user expereriences with EarthLink DSL in my area.

Comcast should burn for what they are doing. (yes, its THAT bad and I'm THAT bitter)

Comments:

Review by mpolhill See Profile

• Location: Summit,Union,NJ
Good "was good when it was @home, since transition on 12/27 it has been HORRENDOUS"
Bad "lousy connection"
Overall "It needs to improve ASAP, or DSL here I come"

For example, when I tried to "Lodge Review", this is the message I received: (note: I did get a successful "Lodge Review" on my 3rd try, pitiful)

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

I have been receiving this message A LOT since the transition.

Comments:

Review by jaydeep2003 See Profile

• Location: Southfield,Oakland,MI
Good "USED to be the stuff"
Bad "NOW, It isnt"
Overall "Now after the transfer from Mediaone to Comcast, this service aint @#$% (excuse me)"

Before all of this Comcast takeover stuff, Mediaone was one of the best services there could be. Ive had Mediaone since January of 2001, and the service was down once, for 3 hours, thats it. Now, Comcast wants users to sign over to a (and I quote) "new, faster, better internet." I should sue them for all of their lies. There changing the usernames, passwords, and email addresses to some long name that I dont feel like typing. The bad thing is that your account number is apart of your actual email address. The one thing that bothers me the most is that fact that %60 of the sites I go won't even show up! AND THE TECH SUPPORT!!! One of the guys told me that he had a (and i quote) "flawless plan to solve the problem." The guy told me to close internet explorer then reopen it to see if that solved the problem...............................................................................OH MY @#$%#$ GOD! I wish Mediaone came back to Michigan :{

member for 13.4 years, 32 visits, last login: 12.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by Comcaps See Profile

• Location: Rahway,Union,NJ
Good "Better than a 56K dialup.... That's about +it, PERIOD."
Bad "Erratic performance, slow speed, worst support, NO USENET, bait & switch sales tactics, dishonest claim of 50x faster than 56K ."
Overall "WAIT until another provider BESIDES ATT/COMCAST is available in your area before buying broadband internet service."

Sound bytes above say it all.

Comments:

Review by Hokie4Life See Profile

• Location: Ypsilanti,Washtenaw,MI
Good "I'm connceted."
Bad "Decrease in speed, no news server, cryptic new email address, some sites unreachable, shall I go on?"
Overall "Comcast really botched the transition. I was on Road Runner and was quite content with my service. I'm looking into DSL now."

What can I say? Words cannot express how disappointed I am with Comcast "High-Speed" Internet. Up until December 28th, I was with Road Runner and was happy with my speeds (consistantly very close to advertised 1500/300). After the transition, I had no connectivity for most of the first day, there are websites that are still unreachable, and speed has dropped from 1500/300, to more like 850-1000/50-100 even though the transistion kit indicated that speeds would not change. Also, we have no news server (although one of the kind contributors to DSLR has posted a list of news servers that most think will be around until @Home goes belly up), our email address has changed from mediaone.net to one that includes the account holder's actual name, state and account number @ comcast.net. I will be protesting this transition via my wallet. I am looking into getting Earthlink DSL through Covad. Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck finding information on user expereriences with EL DSL in my particular area.

member for 13.8 years, 2365 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by The__Cub See Profile

• Location: Westland,Wayne,MI
Good "Its On"
Bad "Slower than 56k Modem"
Overall "If you had MediaOne before get ready for a suprise"

Had MediaOne (Great Service) for 2 years and now CONcast has taken over.

Speeds both up and down are HORRIBLE. Used to get about 1500-750 down & 150-300 up. Now I get 211-46 down and 150-25 up. (no joke)

My bill will be going up 5 bucks a month, the news server doesn't work, the modem is being billed at 5 bucks per month. Geeze what a great deal.

I read the usenet usage limit and busted out laughing-> 3gb in 3 days. This connection couldn't so 300mb in 3 days. Who are they trying to kid?

I never used MediaOne email so that is a non issue for me.

I just want what I am paying for, and if I don't get it within 30 days I'll change service.

member for 12.9 years, 215 visits, last login: 9.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by zarathustra_ See Profile

• Location: Dover,Kent,DE
Good "Only thing available."
Bad "tech support is a joke, Im not sure their techs have a highschool education."
Overall "they take advantage of the fact they are the only game in town, they suck and until someone else comes into town"

they take advantage of the fact they are the only game in town, they suck and until someone else comes into town they wont do a thing to improve the service.
THEY SUCK@!

Comments:

Review by Ngultrum See Profile

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI
Good "Great infrastructure; good tech support staff"
Bad "Terrible communication, want to squeeze every penny from customers"
Overall "As good as competitve DSL, easier to install/maintain"

I was a happy Mediaone customer, encouraged everyone I knew to sign up. The Comcast acquisition raised concerns for me based upon what I had read about Comcast in their other markets. The transition to the "managed network" has soured me on Comcast. The complete lack of a direct, complete, and honest response to user concerns is my primary issue. I could forgive a lot of things if they would even act like they wanted to have a dialog. RIght now, I am waiting for an alternative. If the alternative arrives before Comcast can turn around my current impressions, then I'll be gone in a heartbeat.

Comments:

Review by ramseyj See Profile

• Location: Hendersonville,Sumner,TN
Good "They seem to try"
Bad "No one in tech support knows what they are doing."
Overall "If I had another option, I would be gone in a heartbeat."

I have had connectivity issues and intermitent high ping rates for over two months. I think that tech support is trying to help me, they just don't have the skill to resolve the problem. Here is my most recent email to Comcast Tech Support.

*************************************************************************************8

All right, I will try to calm down. Here is the data I have collected about the
problem. The first is an Excel File (see attached file Ping History.xls) of
ping tests to my default gateway using the @Home diagnostic software. Each test
was a series of 99 pings. It is my understanding that this should never be
higher that 20ms. Looks like a serious problem to me. I can share the raw
data files with you if you like.

The second is a web page at DSLReports.com, look at the ping at the first hop.
Look like something stinks in Gallatin. I fact I have had to opportunity to
identify another unhappy Comcast customer who lives in the Gallatin area. This
problem is not just mine.

»/quality/nil/624320

I was contacted by the supervisor of the local repair service on December 23,
2001. At the time he called there was not a problem. He asked me to call him
after the holidays if my pings increased significantly. I had to opportunity to
call him on December 26. He immediately sent out a service rep. and they were
able to see the ping problem. They had someone rebuild my account. This is the
second time you have tried this and the reason for the difference IP Addresses
in the first report. It did not correct anything. I contacted one of the local
service reps by email on Thursday, December 27, 2001 and he had the
courtesy to call me back Friday morning. He indicated that the problem had been
turned over to his supervisor. I have not heard from anyone since.

Here is a series of ticket numbers to prove how long this mess has been going
on:

8642082

The final attached Excel file (Monitor Results.xls) is a monitor history in
which my IP address is pinged every 10 minutes from an East Coast and West Coast
site. There is a gap in the data where I turn off my computer one night. As
you can see, the results are dismal in some cases increasing 500% in as little
as an hour. Buy the way, I am paying for this service as I can not trust
Comcast to perform it for me.

Is this enough evidence to prove a problem exists, or do you want more.

I ask you again. When will the mess be fixed.

Jim Ramsey

******************************
I did not attach the files referenced in the letter. I think this reflects the frustration I have been feeling toward this company. I will be a joy to watch them slide into bankruptcy as more customer focused services begin to take away their customers.

member for 12.9 years, 307 visits, last login: 2.9 years ago