Review by mwitch See Profile

• Location: Plymouth,Wayne,MI
Good "Festive Hold Music (You'll be hearing lots of it)"
Bad "110% incompetent, new increased surcharges, fewer features."
Overall "ComCast is a technological joke as is their staff and services."

My story is the same as many others who have posted regarding ComCast.

I was an avid fan of MediaOne. A stellar service offering stellar broadband [cable] performance and a knowledgable, understanding technical support staff to boot. There was no better ISP in my estimation.

On December 29th, everything changed. Literally, overnight the service having undergone the ComCast cludging went from all the aforementioned qualities to a poorly performing, featureless, careless and incompetent broadband monopoly who made you feel small and insignificant with this myriad of changes seemingly aimed at letting you know just how little power you had over your internet experience. Newsservers? Gone. Supplemental e-mail accounts? Gone. Performance? Gone. Reliability? Gone. Technical support? Gone. It's all gone. The company is gone and in it's place the bastardized remnants of a money-hungry monopoly hell bent on pillaging and pilfering it's customers like something out of a movie. I picture a cigar smoking, fat cat in his high back leather chair laughing as his assistant rains 100 dollar bills down onto his desk. The scared and hungry customers willingly giving up their money to avoid his wrath. What would he do if we staged an uprising? Terminate e-mail entirely? Specify login times for each customer? 12 kpbs up AND down stream? We can't go much further down then where we are now, folks. ComCast has no more rope left. They are the worst service in the short history of broadband providers. The absolute WORST.

member for 12.9 years, 14 visits, last login: 12.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by bonez04 See Profile

• Location: Northville,Wayne,MI
Good "NONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Bad "Exactly what everyone else is saying !!!!!!"
Overall "HELP....Will someone else please come to this area !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Same as other stories except I did not switch from MediaOne. I was already part of the Comcast hell (because I had no choice). Everything times out, and I have to continuously hit refresh on my browser, when I DO get a page, it takes 3-5 minutes to load (no BS). As for the tech support - put it on speaker phone and go have dinner (that is if your lucky and don't get the "all circuits are busy" or the pain in the ass "we don't work here, so we don't care" answering service). When I finally do get tech support they're like "oh yea, we're planning on rebooting DHCP, and DNS servers tonight, you will be fine in morning"......EHHH....wrong answer. It is second morning and i'm waiting on phone. Bottom line.....if I would've known, I would've actually moved elsewhere ! Good Luck

Comments:

Review by kmondrush See Profile

• Location: West Bloomfield,Oakland,MI
Good "none"
Bad "tech support, customer service, product., and they want to raise prices."

Mediaone/Comcast change is a joke. One week of slow page loading and page could not be displayed. Call tech support to see how long it would take. On phone from 7:00-11:00 and was disconnected 7 times. This a uncaring and vastly unprepared company. They should of stayed with Road Runner until all the @home people were up and running smoothly. Stay away from them for two or three months. DSL will be the future for most heavy users of the Internet. PS Comcast's service makes their commercial look like a joke.

Comments:

Review by SetiRich See Profile

• Location: Bloomfield Hills,Oakland,MI
Good "Good Points? None!"
Bad "There is no choice."
Overall "Read the review."

I'm not sure of what the specific issues are, but it seems that our Internet service has suffered greatly since switching from Mediaone to Comcast servers. In the first 48 hours of this new provider, either the servers were down (according to the Comcast help desk, reached after continual busy signals for the first 7 hours!), or the service was very slow. Pages and sites that only the day before had responded within a few seconds, now took many minutes, or simply timed out.

Whether the new organization had not reserved sufficient 'horsepower to handle the new people, or the transition was poorly planned, this affair was somewhat disappointing. Given the fact that this organization is also the cable monopoly for this area, I feel that we are suffering the pain of their growth, with little recourse.

In the second 48 hours, more of the same. There have been a few hours of service, but not with any dependability. And the help desk continues to respond with 'All our operators are busy. Please try calling later! Thanks for that advice. And thanks for the lack of common sense Help desk answer messages that should advise the customers of any general server outage. I thought all modern help desks had figured out that one! Apparently not Comcast. And the timing of this switch is interesting also. Just during the last few days of the year when most folks are likely to be home, and want to use their service, and most Comcast employees are (apparently) also home, instead of focusing on the service switch, one would think a service would not plan something like this. Oh yeah, this assumes there was a plan

During the second call to the help desk, the tech said there were over 80 cities down in Michigan. This was New Years Day. Also, he responded to my comment that the service appeared to be very slow ... with "...well, it's capped!" He further explained that Comcast had capped the service to provide more equal service to all it's customers. "Well, I didn't buy a capped service." I responded. "Who did you buy from?" he asked. "Mediaone" I responded. "This isn't Mediaone!" he said, "This is Comcast!"

So folks, that's how it's done in the year 2002. The media wars you read about in the papers end up screwing...not the stockholders...but you and me...the users caught in the crossfire. Like that feeling? Get used to it...I don't see any rescue on the horizon!

member for 12.9 years, 13 visits, last login: 12.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by nhildebrant See Profile

• Location: Dexter,Washtenaw,MI
Good "MediaOne was Great"
Bad "I had to hit refresh 7 times to load this page after 24 hours of downtime"
Overall "Comcast can piss off"

Absolutely rediculous. I wouldn't pay for this level of service from dialup. $60 a month is insane. I loath ameritech (thats why I switched to cell phones and cable internet) but they never screwed me this bad. If your thinking broadband in Michigan GO DSL!!! I'll be lucky if I can actually submit this form. It takes an average of 4 tries just to get Google to come up. Broadband my A$$.

member for 13.5 years, 23 visits, last login: 12.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by mschoech See Profile

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI
Good "Absolutly NONE!!!"
Bad "No News service, no tech support, no speed and NO Choice about it!!!!"
Overall "If you are Thinking about getting Comcast, think again; Dialup is faster!!!"

Ive had MediaOne/RoadRunner for nearly 2 years now, and the service was down once or twice for 2-3 hours, thats it. Now, Comcast wants users to sign over to a "new, faster, better internet." What can I say? I feel like blowing up Comcast's "High-Speed" Internet; it's THAT BAD. When I was with Road Runner my speeds were consistantly very close to advertised 1500/300). After the transition, I had no connectivity for most of the first day, and then speeds have dropped from 1500/300, to more like 128-300/50-100 even though the transistion kit indicated that speeds would NOT change. Also, we have no news server, our email address's are cryptic and not of our choosing. We are also having to deal with a transparent proxy that apparently is set refresh webpages every 15-20 minutes or so and is blocking access to MANY sites. To top it off, Comcast is jacking up the bill by five bucks a month!!. Oh yeah, did I mention their wonderful tech support???

I am looking into getting DSL through Covad. Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck finding information on user expereriences with EarthLink DSL in my area.

Comcast should burn for what they are doing. (yes, its THAT bad and I'm THAT bitter)

Comments:

Review by mpolhill See Profile

• Location: Summit,Union,NJ
Good "was good when it was @home, since transition on 12/27 it has been HORRENDOUS"
Bad "lousy connection"
Overall "It needs to improve ASAP, or DSL here I come"

For example, when I tried to "Lodge Review", this is the message I received: (note: I did get a successful "Lodge Review" on my 3rd try, pitiful)

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

I have been receiving this message A LOT since the transition.

Comments:

Review by jaydeep2003 See Profile

• Location: Southfield,Oakland,MI
Good "USED to be the stuff"
Bad "NOW, It isnt"
Overall "Now after the transfer from Mediaone to Comcast, this service aint @#$% (excuse me)"

Before all of this Comcast takeover stuff, Mediaone was one of the best services there could be. Ive had Mediaone since January of 2001, and the service was down once, for 3 hours, thats it. Now, Comcast wants users to sign over to a (and I quote) "new, faster, better internet." I should sue them for all of their lies. There changing the usernames, passwords, and email addresses to some long name that I dont feel like typing. The bad thing is that your account number is apart of your actual email address. The one thing that bothers me the most is that fact that %60 of the sites I go won't even show up! AND THE TECH SUPPORT!!! One of the guys told me that he had a (and i quote) "flawless plan to solve the problem." The guy told me to close internet explorer then reopen it to see if that solved the problem...............................................................................OH MY @#$%#$ GOD! I wish Mediaone came back to Michigan :{

member for 13.5 years, 32 visits, last login: 12.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by Comcaps See Profile

• Location: Rahway,Union,NJ
Good "Better than a 56K dialup.... That's about +it, PERIOD."
Bad "Erratic performance, slow speed, worst support, NO USENET, bait & switch sales tactics, dishonest claim of 50x faster than 56K ."
Overall "WAIT until another provider BESIDES ATT/COMCAST is available in your area before buying broadband internet service."

Sound bytes above say it all.

Comments:

Review by Hokie4Life See Profile

• Location: Ypsilanti,Washtenaw,MI
Good "I'm connceted."
Bad "Decrease in speed, no news server, cryptic new email address, some sites unreachable, shall I go on?"
Overall "Comcast really botched the transition. I was on Road Runner and was quite content with my service. I'm looking into DSL now."

What can I say? Words cannot express how disappointed I am with Comcast "High-Speed" Internet. Up until December 28th, I was with Road Runner and was happy with my speeds (consistantly very close to advertised 1500/300). After the transition, I had no connectivity for most of the first day, there are websites that are still unreachable, and speed has dropped from 1500/300, to more like 850-1000/50-100 even though the transistion kit indicated that speeds would not change. Also, we have no news server (although one of the kind contributors to DSLR has posted a list of news servers that most think will be around until @Home goes belly up), our email address has changed from mediaone.net to one that includes the account holder's actual name, state and account number @ comcast.net. I will be protesting this transition via my wallet. I am looking into getting Earthlink DSL through Covad. Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck finding information on user expereriences with EL DSL in my particular area.

member for 13.9 years, 2365 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago