Review by maxandallie

• Location: Brentwood,Williamson,TN

(review was emailed from domain home.com)

Comments:

Review by mware See Profile

• Location: Ellicott City,Howard,MD
Good "In the past, they provided fairly reliable, high speed performance"
Bad "Since mid-September, they have dropped to modem speeds during evening hours."
Overall "Don't sign up until COMCAST will guarantee high speed all the time."

I've been using COMCAST @Home for about three years. It's been fairly reliable during that time except for about one week a year on average when they have email server outages or serious network problems. I use to get an average of 1.5 Mbps download and 1.0 Mbps upload speeds. Earlier this year my upload speed dropped without any warning to 126 Kbps! When I called to complain I was told that 126 Kbps was all that was guaranteed anymore. That didn't bother me much since I don't have the need to transfer or upload large files. However, I was upset they didn't tell me in advance that my service was being downgraded in speed.

Since mid-September, my speeds have dropped at night and on weekend afternoons and evenings have dropped to between 30 - 200 Kbps. During other hours, I stcan still get 1.5 Mbps downloads. When I called to complain and talked to Level 2 @home support, I was told that COMCAST is now only guaranteeing 70 Kbps download speeds!! I was told to call and complain to my local cable provider (of course COMCAST just gives you the run around).

A friend of mine who called and complained about the same problem was told that 80 Kbps download speeds was the maximum (they can't even keep their story straight).

The bottomline is that COMCAST has traditionally provided megabit performance in the past, they advertise that they provide it, and without notifying its customers they have now restricted performance to not much more than modem speeds during heavy use hours!!

This is a clear case of COMCAST and/or @Home ripping off the consumer.

Anybody recommend satellite-based Internet services? I want to get rid of COMCAST @Home ASAP! DSL is not available where I live.

member for 12.7 years, 17 visits, last login: 12.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by Wm C Manuel See Profile

• Location: Albuquerque,Bernalillo,NM
Good "Better than 56K but it is detiorating fast!"
Bad "Ghastly pre-sales information/disinformation/confusion"
Overall "Acceptable but diminishing performance - service is worse than useless"

As is typical with cable the speed promised is whatever you get empirically - some of their ads claim 1500K, in actual use it averages around 2000/124. (TImes change... 2000/124 is history! Since Comcast put us on their network the speeds average 260/100. only about 15% of what @Home's network provided.)The monthly price to users with Comcast cable service is 39.95/mo including modem rental. They advertise a number of features which I either did not receive or was not provided documentation as to how to acquire or use. These include: @Home Customized Browser (which I didn't especially want anyway), Personal webspace, Search & Navigation Tools, Remote Access Services (which I could really use), @Home User Guide (which I don't need unless it tells me how to gai access to things I didn't receive). Basically the only documentation I received was the copy of the install order with the node name and my account name.

Other than the fact that I may be missing ability to access some potentially useful tools the lack of documentation is not a problem since I basically wanted the speed advantage of broadband.

Since I had far more installation experience that the people that Comcast sent out to do the install (in fairness to them they had only just begun offering the service in Albuquerque) I did the lions share of the installation of the Toshiba cable modem and the setup. Having been pleading for Comcast to initiate the service here for over a year I had low expectations about their initial knowledge and expertise, so I was not upset or disappointed when there were a few glitches. The service has matured to be quite reliable.

However, in the course of assisting/encouraging friends to get connected, I have been extremely disappointed in the local Comcast office personnel's ability to give a consistent or straight answer to potential customer's questions. They can't seem to even give consistent answers regarding the service packages or prices that they advertise publically on local cable channels. One friend finally got the advertised special features and prices after the installation tech called the office and got a friend of his to confirm the pricing in writing so the new customer could go to the office and get her cost reduced and service expanded to meet the advertised package parameters. She had previous talked to three different people at Comcast Albuquerque (2 via phone and one in person) and had been told three different things about the service/pricing/included features! That is ridiculous.

Those issues aside the service itself is at best fair to middling and represents a moderately decent value, but given how badly it has deteriorated since Comcast took over It may not be for long. The installers, based on friends recent experience, has gotten quite good - and in the one case even able to straighten out office foul-ups.

Comments:

Review by bigbill242 See Profile

• Location: Clementon,Camden,NJ
Good "faster than dial-up"
Bad "slow up, varying down speeds at peak times"
Overall "get it if you can, beats dialup"

I liked the fact that I have a cable modem and the download is good, but I have noticed some things. For instance, I still have a little bit of problems with online gaming. Plus, lately, I have been testing my connection, and have seen uncharacteristically low down speeds. I have been used to 2300k down, but recently have been getting 600 or 300k.

member for 12.7 years, 30 visits, last login: 10.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by jjmahoney92 See Profile

• Location: Woodbridge,Prince William,VA
Good "My connection is fine during the day."
Bad "My connection is fine during the day (I'm at work so I can't use it!!!!)"
Overall "Comcast sucks major a$$!!!!"

Here is my recent experience with Comcast. I hope this will warn potential Comcast subscribers of their lack of support. I have had the cable modem for just over a year. For the most part it has been reliable and I haven't had any major problems with it.
Until 2 months ago. I began noticing that my modem connection was being
lost repeatedly during prime time hours (between 6pm and 11pm). When it is working, the speed is less than a 56K modem. If I wasn't
using the internet, the connection would stay connected. But the second I
started to surf or download, the connection would get dropped, and the cable
modem would reset (at one point it wouldn't even come back up at all). I
made repeated phone calls to customer support, and had my circuit repunched
a number of times. None of which fixed the problem. I would still be
downloading a file and have it disconnect shortly after starting (if it
started at all).

They sent a service tech out shortly after my first or second call. When he
came out, during the day when the connection is fine, he checked a few
connections, made sure they were in tight, and said "It's working now" and
left. He said if it happens again to call them back. Well, that night it
continued. I made repeated calls, sent numerous e-mail, and they sent
another tech out. He didn't even look at it, but said he knew what the
problem was. He said for the past 2 months, they've been getting dozens, if
not hundreds, of calls from subscribers having the same problem. Turns out
there is too many people on one of their nodes (3000 to be more specific)
and that they were working on getting another node or router to split the
traffic. He said it would be about another 30 days or so before it was
fixed. Then he left, without doing a thing. It's been 3 weeks since the
tech was out and I have seen the connection issues continue, even increase.
I e-mailed them again 2 days ago and haven't gotten a response (they
guarantee a response within 24 hours). My connection still gets lost
repeatedly to where it's unusable.

The customer support has been absolutely horrible. Each person I talk to
seems to have some different excuse as to why my connection isn't working.
One even said "you are the only house in your neighborhood that is having
problems". What a total lie!! Another said "we don't see it disconnecting.
if it was losing connectivity, we would see it". More bullcrap! In my last
e-mail sent Monday, I asked them to forward it to a supervisor. I was not
kind in describing the awful service. I was actually flat out rude and
vulgar. I don't like paying for services (which I told them I refused to
pay for until they fix it) and have those services not work. Then they go
and raise the monthly fee by $10!! I am on the verge of dropping them and
want to get the word out at how unreliable and unhelpful they are (at least
in the Mid-Atlantic/Northern VA area).

member for 12.7 years, 55 visits, last login: 11.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by robv3 See Profile

• Location: Derwood,Montgomery,MD
Good "None"
Bad "Speed was good for about a month. Now at 2k/sec. They say take up to 6 mos to fix."
Overall "I will never use this service again."

It seems that none of these people know what they are doing, or anyone around them. They told me over 4 months ago that there was an architecural problem in the system, and that it would take up to 6 months to fix. Now, depending on who you talk to, they don't even acknowledge a problem exists. I've been visited at least 6 times in the past 4 months by technicians who say there is no problem in the system, yet some superivisors say there is a "known architectural problem."

Comments:

Review by jaymon1 See Profile

• Location: Richmond,Chesterfield,VA
Good "When it works, it works great"
Bad "Tier 1 support lacks necessary knowledge, basic customer service skills"
Overall "Wouldn't recommend it, but still better than dial-up for professional use"

Since first posting in April I continued to have frequent trouble with both the service and Comcast support through June, but no trouble at all since finally receiving a visit from a tech in late June. Except of course they keep billing me for incorrect amounts. I learned that @HomePro only means that they'll support you even if you use the word VPN, otherwise it's the same for $60+ more per month. I'm pleased that my service has worked so consistently in recent months, but still wouldn't recommend this company to anyone because of the ways they do business and especially weak customer support. But sometimes there few to no other options.

I work from home and need to stay connected 9-10 hours a day. Comcast installed right when I wanted them to and everything seemed to work great. They were switching over their billing systems in my area that week though, and for the first few days connection was sporadic at best. At first they refused to help me much because I'm using VPN, so I upgraded to Comcast@homepro even though when I asked how exactly that would improve my situation I got three different answers from three different reps, including a tier II rep who'd never even heard of that offering. I upgraded and speed tests didn't show any real improvement, but maddeningly slow connections seemed to decrease greatly too. So I'm guessing I share the same bandwidth with less users for my company's extra $60/month, plus now Comcast supposedly will at least try to help if I'm having trouble.

Over the month I've had the service I've experienced many outages the first 10 days, when they were switching their billing systems, for an hour to three at a time, but not much since, except one half day when I was told a node went down. For $100+/month, this amount of downtime seems too much, but Comcast seems to think it's ok. Since I need to be working all day, I call the support line probably more than non-professional users and have found them mostly unhelpful. They're nice enough, but three different reps will give you three different incorrect diagnoses of your problem. They also often seem more interested in placing the blame for poor connectivity everywhere but themselves. Every time I had serious problems, the rep that solved it figured out that Comcast had screwed up my account and didn't have my modem active in their system - this happened twice in two weeks. One rep admitted to me they'd messed up a ton of accounts in my area with their system switchover. Luckily they do have a couple of good Level I reps or I'd still be down. Never do they apologize for the trouble and don't bother asking to speak to a supervisor - they're always in "a meeting" and do not return phone calls. If you don't feel satisfied with one rep I'd suggest calling back until you get one you feel more confident with, or use any kind of technical language you can think of and ask to be switched up to Level II. I finally wrote a letter to the President and Customer Service Supervisor I was so frustrated with this company and their Level I reps.

I hope that my trouble can be attributed to the completely mishandled billing system switchover in my area and will cease soon, but until this company changes its manner of customer service and better trains its Level I reps, I couldn't recommend it in good conscience.

Comments:

Review by bpadmana See Profile

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
Good "I wont know for a while"
Bad "Service still not up after 32 days"
Overall "More or less what happens in a monopoly."

Got the "quick"start self-install kit at a new location in philadelphia (moved from an earlier place with Covad and unfortunately comcast was my only option at the new place).

It took them 20 days to send a technician home. The technician confirms all OK at my end and set up an SRO (special request o-something) that my "local cable company" (comcast) should take care. After 10 more days the "local cable company" still hasnt changed their entropies. Comcast @Home customer service folks say I should now follow up with my local dispatch office. The local dispatch office has a message asking me to call Customer Service.

I guess this is what happens with a monopoly. The last mile cannot be owned by any single entity. FCC - help

Comments:

Review by TubbyT See Profile

• Location: Severna Park,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "Quick Setup"
Bad "Terrible Tech Support and Speeds"
Overall "Wish there was another provider in my neighborhood"

When I first got set up this past March there were a few issues like a bad modem and old cable lines in the house, but once those were replaced I was getting great speeds. 600-700KB/sec (yes kilobytes) and peak to 900KB/sec. Uploads are capped at 128KB but seem faster. In July of this year my speeds within a several week period have gone to an average of 100KB downloads and a lot of the time are under 100. At night during peak I get 20-30KB in the browswer which is terrible speeds compared to what I was getting. Many hours on the phone and two visits by a tech yeilded no problem with my setup. Tech's said that it's just a matter of sharing bandwidth but this is BS! There is some reduction in speed but not this much! At night I try various speed and ping tests and @home nodes and routers have shown up to 45% packet loss. This happens at night/peak times. They say they only have about 85 users on my node. I think there is a node or router going bad and they can nor will not take the time to detect it. Two of my neighbors have complained but the techs keep coming out during the day when the connection is within minimum tolerances and keep signing it off as "ok".

To say the least I am ticked off. No one wants to do antything about this. I'm at my wits end but there is no other broadband access in my Severna Park, MD area.

Comments:

Review by rag1339 See Profile

• Location: Lansdale,Montgomery,PA
Good "I dunno yet"
Bad "Service sucks, cant tell me squat, no calls back"
Overall "Beats me"

I am in 19446, and the website says I can get service. Ive called 4 times and half tell me I CAN get it, half say I CANT. They say they will call me back in a day to confirm. NOTHING. I even signed up online, NO CALLS BACK. Still I have no idea if I can get it or not, they seem to have their heads up their asses over there at Comcast Land. Nobody tells you the same thing twice, unreal. Coming from ADELPHIA, I was hoping this would be better. I was wrong.

member for 13.4 years, 667 visits, last login: 4.3 years ago