Review by robv3 See Profile

• Location: Derwood,Montgomery,MD
Good "None"
Bad "Speed was good for about a month. Now at 2k/sec. They say take up to 6 mos to fix."
Overall "I will never use this service again."

It seems that none of these people know what they are doing, or anyone around them. They told me over 4 months ago that there was an architecural problem in the system, and that it would take up to 6 months to fix. Now, depending on who you talk to, they don't even acknowledge a problem exists. I've been visited at least 6 times in the past 4 months by technicians who say there is no problem in the system, yet some superivisors say there is a "known architectural problem."

Comments:

Review by jaymon1 See Profile

• Location: Richmond,Chesterfield,VA
Good "When it works, it works great"
Bad "Tier 1 support lacks necessary knowledge, basic customer service skills"
Overall "Wouldn't recommend it, but still better than dial-up for professional use"

Since first posting in April I continued to have frequent trouble with both the service and Comcast support through June, but no trouble at all since finally receiving a visit from a tech in late June. Except of course they keep billing me for incorrect amounts. I learned that @HomePro only means that they'll support you even if you use the word VPN, otherwise it's the same for $60+ more per month. I'm pleased that my service has worked so consistently in recent months, but still wouldn't recommend this company to anyone because of the ways they do business and especially weak customer support. But sometimes there few to no other options.

I work from home and need to stay connected 9-10 hours a day. Comcast installed right when I wanted them to and everything seemed to work great. They were switching over their billing systems in my area that week though, and for the first few days connection was sporadic at best. At first they refused to help me much because I'm using VPN, so I upgraded to Comcast@homepro even though when I asked how exactly that would improve my situation I got three different answers from three different reps, including a tier II rep who'd never even heard of that offering. I upgraded and speed tests didn't show any real improvement, but maddeningly slow connections seemed to decrease greatly too. So I'm guessing I share the same bandwidth with less users for my company's extra $60/month, plus now Comcast supposedly will at least try to help if I'm having trouble.

Over the month I've had the service I've experienced many outages the first 10 days, when they were switching their billing systems, for an hour to three at a time, but not much since, except one half day when I was told a node went down. For $100+/month, this amount of downtime seems too much, but Comcast seems to think it's ok. Since I need to be working all day, I call the support line probably more than non-professional users and have found them mostly unhelpful. They're nice enough, but three different reps will give you three different incorrect diagnoses of your problem. They also often seem more interested in placing the blame for poor connectivity everywhere but themselves. Every time I had serious problems, the rep that solved it figured out that Comcast had screwed up my account and didn't have my modem active in their system - this happened twice in two weeks. One rep admitted to me they'd messed up a ton of accounts in my area with their system switchover. Luckily they do have a couple of good Level I reps or I'd still be down. Never do they apologize for the trouble and don't bother asking to speak to a supervisor - they're always in "a meeting" and do not return phone calls. If you don't feel satisfied with one rep I'd suggest calling back until you get one you feel more confident with, or use any kind of technical language you can think of and ask to be switched up to Level II. I finally wrote a letter to the President and Customer Service Supervisor I was so frustrated with this company and their Level I reps.

I hope that my trouble can be attributed to the completely mishandled billing system switchover in my area and will cease soon, but until this company changes its manner of customer service and better trains its Level I reps, I couldn't recommend it in good conscience.

Comments:

Review by bpadmana See Profile

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
Good "I wont know for a while"
Bad "Service still not up after 32 days"
Overall "More or less what happens in a monopoly."

Got the "quick"start self-install kit at a new location in philadelphia (moved from an earlier place with Covad and unfortunately comcast was my only option at the new place).

It took them 20 days to send a technician home. The technician confirms all OK at my end and set up an SRO (special request o-something) that my "local cable company" (comcast) should take care. After 10 more days the "local cable company" still hasnt changed their entropies. Comcast @Home customer service folks say I should now follow up with my local dispatch office. The local dispatch office has a message asking me to call Customer Service.

I guess this is what happens with a monopoly. The last mile cannot be owned by any single entity. FCC - help

Comments:

Review by TubbyT See Profile

• Location: Severna Park,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "Quick Setup"
Bad "Terrible Tech Support and Speeds"
Overall "Wish there was another provider in my neighborhood"

When I first got set up this past March there were a few issues like a bad modem and old cable lines in the house, but once those were replaced I was getting great speeds. 600-700KB/sec (yes kilobytes) and peak to 900KB/sec. Uploads are capped at 128KB but seem faster. In July of this year my speeds within a several week period have gone to an average of 100KB downloads and a lot of the time are under 100. At night during peak I get 20-30KB in the browswer which is terrible speeds compared to what I was getting. Many hours on the phone and two visits by a tech yeilded no problem with my setup. Tech's said that it's just a matter of sharing bandwidth but this is BS! There is some reduction in speed but not this much! At night I try various speed and ping tests and @home nodes and routers have shown up to 45% packet loss. This happens at night/peak times. They say they only have about 85 users on my node. I think there is a node or router going bad and they can nor will not take the time to detect it. Two of my neighbors have complained but the techs keep coming out during the day when the connection is within minimum tolerances and keep signing it off as "ok".

To say the least I am ticked off. No one wants to do antything about this. I'm at my wits end but there is no other broadband access in my Severna Park, MD area.

Comments:

Review by rag1339 See Profile

• Location: Lansdale,Montgomery,PA
Good "I dunno yet"
Bad "Service sucks, cant tell me squat, no calls back"
Overall "Beats me"

I am in 19446, and the website says I can get service. Ive called 4 times and half tell me I CAN get it, half say I CANT. They say they will call me back in a day to confirm. NOTHING. I even signed up online, NO CALLS BACK. Still I have no idea if I can get it or not, they seem to have their heads up their asses over there at Comcast Land. Nobody tells you the same thing twice, unreal. Coming from ADELPHIA, I was hoping this would be better. I was wrong.

Comments:

Review by antimatter0 See Profile

• Location: Evans,Columbia,GA
Good "Fast download speeds"
Bad "Everything else sucks..."
Overall "Not really worth it for gaming, but good for typical users."

Lets start this off by saying one thing: if you play any games online, don't even bother. They are unreliable, ping times are horrible, and tech support does nothing to fix that. Now, if you don't play online games, and have 50 bucks a month to spend on a connection(not including installation/modem cost), this is great. Download speeds are excellent, usually in the 300-500k/sec rate. The upload isn't bad, but not stellar(about 75k/sec.) Bottom line: if you plan on playing games such as Quake or CounterStrike online, forget it. You're probably better off with 56k. But if you're a typical user, just using it for web surfing and downloading and chatting with 'buddies', you'll love it. Makes me mad that I'm one of the former

Comments:

Review by mcgeecommerce See Profile

• Location: Smyrna,Rutherford,TN
Good "BETTER THAN 56K ( WHEN IT'S UP)"
Bad "UP TIME CHANGES WITH THE WEATHER"
Overall "GET DSL ASAP"

MY ISP WAS DOWN FOR OVER A WEEK BECAUSE THAT'S HOW LONG IT TOOK TO GET A TECH TO MY LOCATION ONLY TO TELL ME MY MODEM WAS BAD.
THIS WAS AFTER I SPOKE WITH TECH SUPPORT 5 OR 6 TIMES.
EACH TIME I ADIVERAGED 30 TO 40 MIN. ON HOLD PRESSING 1 OR 3 OR STAY ON THE LINE BLAH!!! BLAH!!!! BLAH!!! ALL THE WHILE BEING TOLD HOW GREAT THEY ARE AND HOW IMPORTANT I AM.
YOU WOULD THINK TECH SUPPORT COULD TELL IF THEY HAD A LINK TO MY MODEM OR NOT.
ALSO, WHILE THIS CIRCUS WAS GOING ON I WAS CONTINUALLY PUT ON HOLD SO THEY COULD ASK THEIR SUPERVISOR OR THE JANITOR WHAT TO DO NEXT AND 3 DIFFERENT TIMES I WAS CUT OFF AND NEVER RECONTACTED.
THE BOTTOM LINE IS I HAVE A NEW $200.00 MODEM ,THAT I DON'T KNOW IF I REALLY NEEDED BECAUSE IT TOOK 3 MORE CALLS TO THE NUT HOUSE TO FIND OUT AND I QUOTE "WELL THAT'S WEIRD, I CAN SEE YOUR
COMPUTER BUT YOU CAN'T LOG ON ?" WITH THAT I WAS PUT ON HOLD, LEFT TO HANG THERE AND THEN CUT OFF AGAIN.
AFTER RECEIVING THIS INFORMATION, I DUG OUT A OLD SETUP FILE THAT LET ME RE-INSTALL THEIR SOFTWARE AND MY BROWSER SETTINGS.
I AM BACK ON LINE BUT IF IT GOES DOWN AGAIN, THEN A WEEK OF DOWN TIME, $200.00 OUT OF MY POCKET, AND 14 GAMES OF PHONE TAG ARE SUPPOSED TO BE EXPECTED AS NORMAL BUSINESS PRATICE.

IF THIS SHOULD REACH ANYONE THAT CARES AND WOULD LIKE TO CHECK OUT THIS REPORT THE EVENT NUMBER WAS 7263740 7/14/01

member for 13.2 years, 11 visits, last login: 12.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by pazuzu5 See Profile

• Location: King Of Prussia,Montgomery,PA
Good "Fast install, static IP, no PPPoE, *used to be fast* upload"
Bad "Slow sync-up, busy tech support line on weekends, now both download/upload suck!"
Overall "COMCAST is getting worse in suburban Philly..."

I replaced the Comcast-supplied Surfboard 3100 cable modem with my own Surfboard 4100 this evening and registered with Tech Support (1-888-398-4547) its MAC address.
I got online and was (and still am) extremely upset to discover my download/upload speed dropped drastically. Take a look at

»/archive,

and do a search for zip code 19406. The very top entry is me:

4th
19406
@home
2057/944
norr1.pa.home.com

Yes, that was 2.057Megabits download and 944Kilobits upload at 9PM prime time 10 days ago! Now I get 531Kilobits download and 120Kilobits upload! That's worse than Verizon DSL's download!
Of course Tech Suport try to play all sorts of tricks to explain this sharp deterioration in service: Blame it on my new modem (made by the same manufacturer, ironically), shove that bandwidth cap crap on me, and the supposed Level 2 Support guy even hung up on me. Here's what the "Level 2 Support" had to say: My 531Kilobits was fantastic speed (WTF?! Level 1 Support just told me the download cap is 3Megabit which I've never seen in a year!), and unless my speed drops to 40kilobits there's no issue (again, WTF?! When I reminded him 40kilobits was slower than what one could get on a 56k(ilobit) dial-up modem, he kept saying I was wrong. Well, I told him I got 53.333kilobits (FCC maximum) on a 90-yr old New York apartment's phoneline, he proceeded to hang up on me! I wonder where the hell Comcast@Home Level 2 Support get the training that 40kilobits is faster than 56k!

I'll give Comcast@Home a week to remedy the situation (doubtful). That Level 2 tech thought I was bluffing when I said I could go DSL. Well, I've just checked with Earthlink online my phone qualifies for their 1.5Mbit down/384kbit up DSL. Their cost of $49.95/mo is a heck a lot lower than the $79.95/mo cable bill I get from Comcast right now.

member for 12.8 years, 436 visits, last login: 6.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by docholoday4 See Profile

• Location: Savannah,Chatham,GA
Good "none...maybe some good speed at 3am"
Bad "umm, everything"
Overall "Bad Service + Bad Customer Service = Bad Choice"

COMCAST IS THE WORST COMPANY EVER! If you're moving into the area, I urge you to avoid comcast, the black plague of IPS, and go with a slightly more expensive DSL. First off, the basics... I originally ordered the standard installation package, no modem (already had one), two IPs and basic TV service (the modem was cheaper if you got TV as well) Now, let me tell you a little story about what happened... I'm a college student in Savannah and when I moved down here I took a look around and found that Comcast was offering a nice package that included free installation and 2 months at a reduced rate. I signed up and two days later the tech came to install my stuff. I was up and running by that afternoon. 2 months go by and the service is working fine. We get close to winter break and my roommate, who usually monoplolizes the cable line was leaving. I was staying and was happy since I'd have the place, and the bandwidth to myself for a week...until service dropped out the next afternoon. It had never happened before so I gave tech support a call. 2 HOURS (!) after I get on the phone, I finally speak to a human who assures me that everything thing will be fine in the morning, it's just some server problems in the area. Well, come 4pm the next day, I still don't have service so I call them again. This time the tech can't find my account in the computer and tells me he can't help me because I'm not a customer. This was starting to anger me. 2 WEEKS and atleast 20 irate phone calls later they FINALLY tell me that someone must have deleted my account on accident and that they'd have to set up a new one for me. "Fine" I said, "just do it." That was my first mistake. Not only did they get my basic information wrong (my name, where I live etc) but they started charging me for stuff I didn't have. Modem rental charges (I brought my own modem from home), "Premium Service" which I guess means "shitty", and no cable tv. Which, of course, got shut off durring the middle of a really good hockey game. I was really pissed this time. So, another two weeks and visits to their office resulted in straiting out of my account only after I threatened to take them to court for false advertising and fraudulent charges. I also called my credit card company and had them recoup 2 months worth of service from them, just to show how pissed off I was. On top of that I made them promise to give me another month free since they I hadn't had serive for four weeks. Guess who was billed for and EXTRA month when the next cable bill arrived. This time I had had enough. I marched down to the office and waited while they got the manager of the entire Savannah office to fix my problem personally. They are the worst company I have EVER seen and I urge anyone and everyone to avoid them at all costs. It's not worth your time or money. Go with someone else, anybody, just not them, I'm currently looking into Telocity DSL and Bell South, we'll see how they do. They may be a little more expensive, but it'll be well worth it to get rid of Comcast.

Comments:

Review by jay1214 See Profile

• Location: Sterling Heights,Macomb,MI
Good "Great Service and Speed"
Overall "Just Happy To Have High Speed Access"

I have had comcast for many years now since the upgrade the service has been good and fast no major complaints as of yet I did purchase my own cable modem speeds have been as promised by comcast

UPDATE:
I just had comcast phone service installed appears to be working good had to use a new modem which they provided my internet speeds appeared to have gone UP which is awesome