Review by The__Cub See Profile

• Location: Westland,Wayne,MI
Good "Its On"
Bad "Slower than 56k Modem"
Overall "If you had MediaOne before get ready for a suprise"

Had MediaOne (Great Service) for 2 years and now CONcast has taken over.

Speeds both up and down are HORRIBLE. Used to get about 1500-750 down & 150-300 up. Now I get 211-46 down and 150-25 up. (no joke)

My bill will be going up 5 bucks a month, the news server doesn't work, the modem is being billed at 5 bucks per month. Geeze what a great deal.

I read the usenet usage limit and busted out laughing-> 3gb in 3 days. This connection couldn't so 300mb in 3 days. Who are they trying to kid?

I never used MediaOne email so that is a non issue for me.

I just want what I am paying for, and if I don't get it within 30 days I'll change service.

member for 12.9 years, 215 visits, last login: 9.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by zarathustra_ See Profile

• Location: Dover,Kent,DE
Good "Only thing available."
Bad "tech support is a joke, Im not sure their techs have a highschool education."
Overall "they take advantage of the fact they are the only game in town, they suck and until someone else comes into town"

they take advantage of the fact they are the only game in town, they suck and until someone else comes into town they wont do a thing to improve the service.
THEY SUCK@!

Comments:

Review by Ngultrum See Profile

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI
Good "Great infrastructure; good tech support staff"
Bad "Terrible communication, want to squeeze every penny from customers"
Overall "As good as competitve DSL, easier to install/maintain"

I was a happy Mediaone customer, encouraged everyone I knew to sign up. The Comcast acquisition raised concerns for me based upon what I had read about Comcast in their other markets. The transition to the "managed network" has soured me on Comcast. The complete lack of a direct, complete, and honest response to user concerns is my primary issue. I could forgive a lot of things if they would even act like they wanted to have a dialog. RIght now, I am waiting for an alternative. If the alternative arrives before Comcast can turn around my current impressions, then I'll be gone in a heartbeat.

Comments:

Review by ramseyj See Profile

• Location: Hendersonville,Sumner,TN
Good "They seem to try"
Bad "No one in tech support knows what they are doing."
Overall "If I had another option, I would be gone in a heartbeat."

I have had connectivity issues and intermitent high ping rates for over two months. I think that tech support is trying to help me, they just don't have the skill to resolve the problem. Here is my most recent email to Comcast Tech Support.

*************************************************************************************8

All right, I will try to calm down. Here is the data I have collected about the
problem. The first is an Excel File (see attached file Ping History.xls) of
ping tests to my default gateway using the @Home diagnostic software. Each test
was a series of 99 pings. It is my understanding that this should never be
higher that 20ms. Looks like a serious problem to me. I can share the raw
data files with you if you like.

The second is a web page at DSLReports.com, look at the ping at the first hop.
Look like something stinks in Gallatin. I fact I have had to opportunity to
identify another unhappy Comcast customer who lives in the Gallatin area. This
problem is not just mine.

»/quality/nil/624320

I was contacted by the supervisor of the local repair service on December 23,
2001. At the time he called there was not a problem. He asked me to call him
after the holidays if my pings increased significantly. I had to opportunity to
call him on December 26. He immediately sent out a service rep. and they were
able to see the ping problem. They had someone rebuild my account. This is the
second time you have tried this and the reason for the difference IP Addresses
in the first report. It did not correct anything. I contacted one of the local
service reps by email on Thursday, December 27, 2001 and he had the
courtesy to call me back Friday morning. He indicated that the problem had been
turned over to his supervisor. I have not heard from anyone since.

Here is a series of ticket numbers to prove how long this mess has been going
on:

8642082

The final attached Excel file (Monitor Results.xls) is a monitor history in
which my IP address is pinged every 10 minutes from an East Coast and West Coast
site. There is a gap in the data where I turn off my computer one night. As
you can see, the results are dismal in some cases increasing 500% in as little
as an hour. Buy the way, I am paying for this service as I can not trust
Comcast to perform it for me.

Is this enough evidence to prove a problem exists, or do you want more.

I ask you again. When will the mess be fixed.

Jim Ramsey

******************************
I did not attach the files referenced in the letter. I think this reflects the frustration I have been feeling toward this company. I will be a joy to watch them slide into bankruptcy as more customer focused services begin to take away their customers.

Comments:

Review by babgar See Profile

• Location: Belleville,Essex,NJ
Good "None"
Bad "Very bad customer service"
Overall "Look for alternate options"

COMCAST customer service is so hard to reach all the time. Recently my service was disconnected and I was trying to install their new software for change of service(From @home). I spent FOUR HOURS for trying to make it work.
I SPENT 3 HOURS to reach them by phone, and then they told me that the existing modem does not work. Why did they not include that information in the mail they sent with the CD-ROM to change the service!
I went to the COMCAST office to exchange the modem, they took the modem
and asked me to come back, since their computers were down. I went back few hrs. later, then someone else at the counter says we do not exchange the modems. Technician will come to your home.
This is the worst Customer service that I never known.

Mayo

Comments:

Review by mrozkan4 See Profile

• Location: Rutherford,Bergen,NJ
Good "fairly fast"
Bad "have to waot an hour for tech support to pick up and they don't know the difference between their ass and their elbow"
Overall "@Home used to be awesome, but comcast high speed internet sucks bad"

After the transition the speed of the service went down about 800kbps. Tech support never picks up and when they do, the only help they can offer is to tell you to restart your computer and modem. The new network is HORRIBLE. Cant use remote control to connect to my home pc anymore. THE IP number that was assigned to me by their DHCP server was a local IP. I'm on the same LAN with my neighbors. Bottom line: Comcast is DEAD!!

member for 13 years, 7 visits, last login: 12 years ago

Comments:

Review by nokiagoddd See Profile

• Location: South Plainfield,Middlesex,NJ
Good "none as of yet after switch over from @ home"
Bad "Download speeds reduced by almost 60%, 8 hours total hold time in 1 day issue unresolved"
Overall "I know there isnt much choice out there right now.... hope someone else comes to my nieghborood soon"

@ home was basically reliable fast Average of 2.4m down 128 up.

Now i am getting speeds of just under 1.0m and 100 up.

Customer service is non existant i spent 2 hours on hold to resolve a billing issue. 8 hours on hold for non connectivity.....Which was not resolved ... Researching and thanks to the people here on dsl reports posting i resolved it on my own in 20 minutes...... Should of come here first!!!!! but i had no service hmmm catch 22.. (got on through a freinds computer ) they are the only game in my area but someone else will show up and I will be gone ! I would have no problems if they said straight out this is all we are giving you. but they still say speeds are unchanged.....just holding on till dsl comes knockin on my door.....

member for 13.9 years, 283 visits, last login: 7.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by dboling See Profile

• Location: East Rutherford,Bergen,NJ
Good "There are no good points unless they go out of business."
Bad "To many to list in this life time."
Overall "There out for the buck and could care less about there customers."

From an ISP Owner/Operators point of view.

To start with I hate saying anything bad about anybody, but this one is one of those exceptions.

I own an ISP in NY and supply DSL but unfortunatly I'm unable service the NJ area at this time and am stuck with using a different ISP.

Comcast is the worst ISP I've ever seen. They could care less about customer service or the customer in general. I am one of those people who fell into the @Home/Comcast change over. Total I've got 15hrs of sitting on hold with comcast trying to get my connection up and running. 6 - 7 hrs was just finding out that the modem they supplied me was not compatable with their network. They did schedule a so called tech to deliver a modem swap after 5pm. To my suprize they showed up on time, which is a 1000% improvment to previous on site appts. They said my service would be up and running by 9pm that evening, it wasn't. I sat on hold for many hours trying to get ahold of someone that could help get my machine online with their network. While I was on hold I was disconnected so many time I thought I was in training to be a telemarketer.

To cut the horror story short, the Comcast Tech Support, Tier 1 Support and Tier 2

Support could not get me online. It didn't seem that they even cared.

I did manage to get my machine online but is was to my own efforts. I run many Operating systems and I chose a simple one for comcast to help me with "Win XP".

I set my XP box up with there DHCP which I did get online, only after shutting down my Redhat 7.2 box. I have a decent sized network at my home and have never had any problems accessing my internal machines, until comcast. If you run DHCP then you have no options to arp any more IP's on that box. ie. if your internal network is on a reserved set of IPs you wouldn't be able to ssh, telnet, ect to them since reserved IPs are not recognized on the Internet. I have 2 IPs with comcast and am not able to get the second one working. At this point I don't care, I'm in the process of terminating my Internet and Cable service with comcast. I feel I would be better of sending smoke signals in binary.

For those of you that don't care if your internet works or not and you have an internal network such as I do. setup a Redhat box or any Unix/Linix box that will do DHCP and ipchains/ip forwaring. Make the unix box your gateway then pick a reserved ip block such as 192.168.1. . arp one of those ips on your unix box.

Simple example. "ifconfig eth0:0 192.168.1.1 up" then number your machines on your internal network with 192.168.1.2 and up netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.1. you must configure your ipchains/ip forwarding on your unix box before the unix box will act as a gateway. I could give you an example but don't want to ruin your fun.

Comments:

Review by dmbfan See Profile

• Location: Magnolia,Kent,DE
Good "It's only thing available"
Bad "DNS sucks,no online banking,roger wilco,gamespy, download terrible compared to former @home, upload still capped at 128"
Overall "if it is only thing available get it, if not dont waste money its not TRUE broadband,"

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY.....since comcast took over for @home it has been terrible,half the sites i visit are not in comcast dns, first hop is a proxy server, download capped at 1.5, upload 128k. Talks of limiting how much you can download in a month are in the process, my suggestion do not support the monopoly comcast is trying to start. Finally the tech support (if you give them the credit of calling them that) is just as bad as the service.

Comments:

Review by jvcotton7 See Profile

• Location: Jersey City,Hudson,NJ
Good "?"
Bad "Comcast Broadband Incompatible with Windows XP (!!!)"
Overall "incompetent"

We got our "conversion package" from Comcast, since they are dumping @Home. We installed it, and nothing worked. When we called for technical support -- and I am not kidding, exaggerating or lying -- we were told by their technical support staff that COMCAST BROADBAND IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS XP -- and we were told to roll back to our @Home settings, which will work, so we're told, until the end of February.

Probably a big shock to all those Comcast customers who bought new PCs for Christmas, eh?

This is outrageous. I hope this ends up in the press and Comcast gets screwed. If only the DSL service in this area were better (Verizon... don't even ask!)

Jeffery