Review by thatfox See Profile

• Location: Bothell,Snohomish,WA
Good "It worked... sometimes."
Bad "Very slow speeds, frequent outages, slow streaming speeds, raised prices without our knowledge, forced out competition"
Overall "Avoid at all costs"

Comcast was unfortunately the only ISP at my last apartment that offered speeds above 20mbps and has deals with the city to keep out competition, so I went with the $50 a month 50/10 package. I purchased my own modem and did the self installation to avoid the modem rental fee. I got the connection up and running and did a speed test and got the advertised speeds and the connection worked great for a couple days...

Every day when I would get home from work the connection would slow to a crawl, at peak hours I could hardly stream a standard def youtube video and would be completely unable to stream netflix. At best I could stream netflix at 480p, at worst it would take an hour and a half to watch a 30 minute show due to buffering. I did many speed tests and it would get as slow as 0.01mbps down and 3mbps up, yes, less than one tenth of one percent of what I paid for. Over the one year that I had Comcast service I had over 10 technicians come to the apartment to take a look and see if they could solve the problem. The speed problems were continual and no technician could get the speed to go back to the advertised level for more than a few days.

Comcast is by far the worst ISP I have ever had the displeasure of using. If you have the choice to move somewhere that has another option, please do, Comcast will make your hair fall out.

Comments:

Review by Mr Matt See Profile

• Location: Eustis,Lake,FL
Good "Reliability of Service has declined, All signal levels are optimum at modem."
Bad "Constant price increases. Required customers to replace DOCSIS 2 modems with DOCSIS 3 modems"
Overall "I would recommend Comcast unless, reliable DSL service is available at lower cost."

Options: I moved to a new home and had a choice of two service providers, Comcast and Embarq. I choose Comcast because they did not require a one year service contract, Embarq did. I was required to keep service for 60 days to get the deal below.

Service: The package included Six for Six. That is Six Mb for Six Months for $19.95 per month. At the end of Six Months the rate increased to $42.95 per month. The deal also included a free Motorola SB5101 after two rebates were applied for and received. A self install kit with very high quality splitter. I also received a $100.00 gift card from Circuit City. I was not happy with the charges after the Six Month Promotional Period. At my old residence, I subscribed to a bundle which Adelphia offered for customers subscribing to the Ultimate (CATV) Programming Package. The bundle included a Six Mb Broadband connection for $24.95 per month. The regular rate for a Six Mb Broadband connection without the ultimate package was about $52.00 per month. I wish Comcast offered the same bundle.

Order Process: I checked with several electronics stores to get the best deal. It turned out that Circuit City had the beat deal. One inconvenience was that I had to order service through a distant Circuit City Store because the newer Motorola SB5101 Modem was not available at the local store. I placed the order with a salesperson and was handed a self install kit, modem and a stack of rebate forms.

My new home included a structured wiring cabinet where I installed the SB5101 modem and a D-Link DI-604 E1 wired router. I planned to install a wireless access point at a more central location later. I used a data cable already installed by the builder to establish a hardwired connection to my computer. Two days after I placed the order I placed my first call to Comcast to complete the installation. When I advised the Comcast technical representative that I was using Thunderbird as an e-mail client and did not want to run the self install CD they asked me for the MAC Address of the Modem and provisioned it. Within minutes I was on line. According to the sales agreement I own the Motorola SB5101 modem and there is no monthly charge for same.

I must admit that the prior torture I experienced trying to self install Adelphia Broadband in September 2001 helped me avoid the same problems installing Comcast Broadband in December 2006. I learned not to run the provided self install CD if possible, particularly if I was using a non-standard Browser or E-Mail client.

April 24, 2008

I have had Comcast Broadband Service for several months now. I have lost the ability to access the Internet for from Two to Three Hours several times, even though my Basic and Digital Cable Service remained unaffected. When I tried to report the problem all Comcast Telephone Lines were busy. I know that the problem was upstream because the Modem retained it's IP Address during the outage. Once or twice although I could not access Google, the only URL that I could connect to was Comcast.com. When service is functioning correctly the upstream and downstream speed have improved. I have replaced my wired router with an AZIO AER114 which is rated by the manufacture at 70Mbps WAN to LAN. I typically see the upload and download speeds shown below using Speakeasy Speed Test.

Test run at 7:45 PM

Last Result:

Download Speed: 22537 kbps (2817.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 1591 kbps (198.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

My old router limited my Download Speed to around 16Mbps. If you want to save some money and do not need a high speed connection you may want to try Embarq DSL. Unfortunately Embarq requires the subscriber to sign a one year contract or pay an additional fee of $10.00 per month.

March 11, 2009

Comcast continues to provide satisfactory service and unsatisfactory value. Unfortunately I just received a notice of a price increase for entertainment services (CATV) in Lake County, Florida as of April First. Apparently the top management at Comcast are not the brightest bulbs in the string. At a time when the United States is in a deep recession the wizards at Comcast are raising monthly fees. I also discovered that the staff at the call center are not to swift either.

When I asked what the download speed was for subscribers on the economy tier the CSR advised me that the download speed was 2.0 Mb. When I asked if the CAP was reduced for economy subscribers I was transferred to a technician that was unable to advise me about the CAP or the download speed. What a way to run a cable company. When I accessed the website and did a search on the economy service I was unable to find a reference to the CAP or the download speed or terms of service for the economy tier.

March 14, 2009

I am still trying to get a straight answer on what the download speed is if I downgrade to the economy tier. So far I located or received the following information from Comcast:

1) Googled Comcast economy tier and found references to 768K download speed in old documents.

2) Called Comcast Internet department and was told that the download speed would be 2M. I asked for a confirmation and did not receive same.

3) I searched the Comcast.net website again and found a reference to the speeds that would be available when DOCSIS 3.0 was deployed. The table indicated that the download speed for the economy tier when would be 1M.

4) I placed another call to Comcast and was advised by the CSR that in fact the download speed for the economy tier was 1.5M. The CSR referred to the economy tier as the retention tier and that it was not normally offered. When I pointed out that it was listed on the rate card that Comcast just sent me and the CSR seemed surprised that the economy tier was listed.

Apparently Comcast does not want to offer the economy tier and can successfully deter customer from ordering same by not clearly stating what the download speed is. From the information that I received from Comcast, the download speed for the economy tier might be anywhere from 768K to 2M.

Updated April 2, 2009

I finally received an answer for my question regarding the download speed for the economy by visiting their local office. I was advised by the airhead at the customer service desk that the download speed would be 768K when I asked why I received four answer for the same question particularly why I was told that the economy speed was 2Mb, 1Mb, 768K and 768K which is the same as 1Mb I did not get a clear response. Comcast customer support needs to get their act together.

I plan on looking to Embarq for DSL Service.

Another hot flash: Comcast gives less for more. In celebration for their April 1 price increase. As of April 1, 2009 Comcast has dropped most West Coast Premium Channel feeds in Lake County, Florida. The only West Coast feeds left are HBOW, MAXW and STRZ1W. I found a note in a recent mailing advising customers that the bandwidth made available by dropping those 12 channels would be used for other services. This change also gives Comcast an opportunity to pitch subscribing to DVR Service.

Edited 7/23/09

I tried to help Comcast avoid a citation from the FCC and got jerked around. On the morning of July 13 a contractor completed repairing the road in our subdivision. At the same time all of the 315Mhz Garage Door Openers near my home including mine ceased working. I thought there might be an RF leak caused by the contractor damaging a cable. If just happens that Cable Channel 39 operates between 312 and 318 Mhz. I called the FCC and filed a complaint. I was advised it might take some time to send an investigator. I called Comcast and advised them that there might be a cable leak. The representative set up an appointment for Thursday July 16. The technician arrived and the first thing she did was disconnect the drop. When that did not correct the problem if the technician was competent they would have turned the matter over to cable maintenance.

This is where the problem began. The technician tested the signal from the drop and claimed there was noise on the line. I pointed out that I had Two HD DVR's, the analog cable inputs from the televisions and a cable modem connected to the drop that should have give the technician some in site into the fact that those devices might be generating a signal that the technician might be interpreting as noise. Rather than disconnecting the DVR's, Televisions and Cable Modem and then checking the noise level again, the technician went to my structured wiring cabinet and began disconnecting the cables to all outlets. the technician claimed that there was noise on the line coming from the television in the family room. the technician then bypassed the surge protector at the television. The technician did the same thing in the master bedroom. The technician was ready to leave when I gave the them the bad news that there was another RG-6 Cable running from the family room. The technician measured the noise on that line and found it within acceptable limits. When I asked the technician to recheck the other cable from the family room while I watched the display on their test instrument they technician found that the noise level was within acceptable limits. By the time the technician finished Five of the outlets were disconnected. If I did not have the knowledge I would have had to pay someone to restore my structured wiring to it's original state.

On the other hand a maintenance technician that came by the next day was very knowledgeable and determined that there was no problem with my structured wiring and that there was no discernible leak.

I left a message asking for the Service Manager to contact me and am still waiting for a phone call.

Edited 6/24/10

Since my last review Comcast changed my IP address and since that change my download speed has declined with occasional failed downloads. DOCSIS 3.0 in not yet available in Lake County, Florida. Overall reliability of service has declined with more frequent outages. Usually complete failure with CATV and Broadband out at the same time. Some outages last up to Four Hours. See my review on Centurylink.

Edited 6/27/10

I have failed to include the following information in my review but believe that it is very important. For those of you that want broadband only consider the following. Here in Lake County, Florida, the cost for Performance Broadband without CATV Service is $57.95 per month. Limited Basic CATV Service includes CATV Channels 2 through 22 and some HD Local Channels available to those with clear QAM Tuners at a cost of $14.95 per month. If you order Performance Broadband with Limited Basic the cost is $42.95 per month for Broadband and $14.95 per month for Limited Basic for a total cost of $57.90 per month. Check your local Comcast price list to see if this solution fits your needs.

Edited 2/17/2011

Comcast service has continued to deteriorate with most downloads slower than 384KBPS. I wonder if they are throttling my connection? Whenever I download a series of large files by the end I find my speed has slowed to 60 to 120KBPS. I just updated a Net Book that I own with 51 Windows Updates, Acrobat Reader update, Thunderbird update, when I finally tried to download the latest version of Open Office my speed never exceeded 100KBPS. It well over an hour to download the entire 154MB file. Although Comcast claims that they will be introducing DOCSIS 3.0 they have not deployed it in this area. It appears that they are all wind and no rain. To bad that there isn't a better ISP in this area.

Edit January 7, 2012

Comcast CATV:

Comcast has decided to raise the price for CATV service by increasing the number of channels that require a STB of some kind. The latest screwing over is the conversion of extended basic channels to encrypted digital transmission. This change necessitates the use of digital adapters for each television. Although Comcast currently offers Two at 0 monthly charge I have 5 Bedrooms and would have to pay $2.00 per month for additional adapters. This really eliminates one of the features that differentiates Comcast from DBS, requiring an STB for each television. I have televisions installed in three bedrooms that are NTSC/QAM compatible. At least guests could receive channels 2 through 99 Plus the unencrypted QAM Channels. This is simply a price increase. Eventually there will some BS that Comcast can no longer provide digital adapters at no charge. They might find customers switching to CenturyLink Prism or DBS. In the last Six Months I have seen a number of homes that now have DBS antennas or temporary wiring for Prism.

Comcast HSI:

It appears that Comcast will not upgrade our area to DOCSIS 3.0, although I was told by a Comcast CSR to expect an email soon (months ago) notifying of the upgrade that never happened.

CenturyLink is very aggressive in attempting to have Comcast Customers convert to CenturyLink DSL. They claim to be able to offer 25Mbps down in my sub division. Some Comcast customers are moving in the other direction and subscribing to CenturyLinks $14.95 per month 1.5Mbps service to save money.

Updated 1/21/12

About a year ago I was advised that DOCSIS 3.0 would soon be available. It now appears that Lake County Florida is one of those areas that will not get DOCSIS 3.0 anytime soon. I just checked the Comcast Website and found that the only speeds that are available to me on the website are Performance 12M down and 2M up or Blast with 16M down and 2M up.

Updated 7/11/14

DOCSIS 3 Modems now required. I had to replace my DOCSIS 2.0 at my own expense. Speed has increased to 28M Down and 6M Up as tested 10 Minutes Ago. Comcast is constantly increasing prices even though service improvements do not benefit most customers and are not needed.

If you need the services of a technician keep an eye on them while they are in your home. They cannot resist reconfiguring your network even if you are not having a problem with it. One jerk replaced a high isolation splitter with one of their crap splitters while I wasn't looking. The splitter in question was included with a self install kit and included a special feature that provided higher than normal isolation to prevent the upstream signal from the modem from overloading a TV set connected to the other port. Furthermore a Technician replaced a 2.4 GHz splitter connected between the STB and antenna input on the TV which I was planning to use to install a MoCA system. The technician replaced it with one of their cheap 1GHz splitters. Comcast Technicians do not seem to understand that all wiring in this house was installed by the builder and is my property.

member for 6.5 years, 1751 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by cj_version2 See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Cobb,GA
Good "The only game in town atm if you need lots of speed & static ips for soho or medium business."
Bad "A bag of ferrets is more coordinated than their install teams. Seriously. "
Overall "Like lots and lots of pain? Try to get new service or move."

[Edit: Let me preface this post by saying I had to sign up for a new account, since I forgot my password for my longtime account, and wouldn't you know it the email address of record is one on my mailservers which are down atm due to me moving them and me 8 miles. Won't have email again until the Comcast install or I move them to a server hotel]

[Final edit/addenda: A very nice and knew-what-he-was-doing Comcast tech came towards the end of the 4 hour window they had promised the last time. After overcoming some cabling issues outside, he got things up and running in short order. It's as promised: around 110mb down and 23 up and very, very stable. I'm going to try to not move again for a looong time.]

Comcast Business had been ok for me since 2009 for my home business in terms of speed, lack of congestion, etc. SMC gateway worked great for me (even though I've read of people having issues with them, mine was fine). Only one issue ever (had to teach DNS to a tier 2 awhile back). So... I moved my office 8 miles. Don't ever do that with Comcast and expect anything but lots of pain and staff who range from right-to-the-edge-of-being-nasty-to-you (even though I've been nothing but very nice) to just totally out of synch with the other parts of the puzzle that have to work together to get you going. They will *not* work with you for the most part, it's their timetable (which they always break without notice to you) or the highway.

My situation: Called to move my service 3rd week of June 2014. Them: "Ok, fine, we can have your service up and running at the new place July 1, not a problem, sir!" I signed a new contract that day. Same service level. Same everything. Only one gripe from me: Was an "all day install window", meaning I had to wait all day on the tech. So much for the TV spots they run here in Atlanta for "Two hour windows now, even nights and weekends." Uh-huh. I'm not calling them liars, but the TV spots had no small print or any of that, just a blanket "We show up within a two hour window now."

July 1st: No tech, no nothing. I call my sales guy's cell. He's mental-dancing so fast on the phone I thought he was going to pass out. We had several of those conversations that day to no avail. Note to all: I HATE being told you'll call me back in 15 and you don't ever do it...

July 2nd or 3rd, I forget now: Same stuff, diff day. Ended up on his cell on speaker with him and his supervisor. She and he both told me in no uncertain terms the installation would now be Tuesday July 8th 2014 and an all-day "sit here and wait on us to show up" window. Said no they couldn't do it Saturday due to July 4th weekend. I understand that, not a worry. Just wanted a firm date so I can take some downtime and wait on you guys. Tuesday worked for me since the Comcast TV folks were supposed to show up that day as well.

July 5th: Some automated scheduling system phones me this afternoon (Saturday), says I have an appt for Monday July 7th from noon to 4pm. I called my sales guy on his cell immediately. No answer, left a voice mail saying "fix this please". No response.

July 7th: It's really early Monday morning, I'm about to leave for a manager's meeting and I'm almost late for it factoring in the commute. Comcast guy shows up in the complex with no advance notice, here to install the Biz Internet. I can't wait. Told him my appt was for Tuesday not today, had to leave, no way for me to stay. I don't let a room of vice presidents and other managers wait. Sorry.

July 8th (late this afternoon as I'm writing this): You guessed it! No tech showed up. No call. No nothing. Took a day off working elsewhere and nada. (As an aside, the Comcast TV tech never showed up either, and my sales rep for them was letting all my calls go to her voice mail). Call my reps cell a few times. Finally he calls me back. Wants to schedule the biz Internet install for tomorrow from 1 to 5pm. So I've lost clients, and I've been off-line with all my services for around 10 days now. Getting used to watching off-air TV on an antenna. Getting 39 digital channels. Getting used to it. Comcast, you're getting real close to "You're Fired". I am having a hard time believing you STILL want to charge me $199 for an Internet install where all the infrastructure is already in place. Amazing.

Short version: If you decide to use this ISP, try your best to have a backup plan ready to go to in case they drop the ball. As a second side note, in my day job, I've been trying to get Comcast Business Internet installed at a location for going on two years now to no avail. Their drop is 175 feet away on the same side of the street. Go figure. One would think a vendor wouldn't want to do that sort of stuff to a national-level account holder. Bet if I bought one of their Ethernet offerings at that location, the service would be in there before I could go get pizza haha.

[Edit: the Comcast TV tech came at 6pm sharp. Took the poor fellow 2 hours, he had to run new cabling outside to get the TV working. He really had to do a l-o-t of work. I felt kinda bad for him, especially since a guy had come earlier to do a site survey and said things were "ready to go". I didn't have the heart to tell the TV install tech that. Comcast TV looks 'cleaner' than my old DirecTV, must be less or better video compression.]

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Tearing crap up.

Ferrets have good coordination when it comes to tearing crap up..

If Comcast video looks better than Directv, then Cox (my local cable company) must be compressing the hell out of there signal since Directv looks much better than Cox Cable.
join:2012-06-11

Re: Tearing crap up.

Holy ferrrets...!!!!!

Too bad you didn't have someone at your site you could have left when the Concrap tech showed up on the 7th July.

In any case what a massive cluster fluck.
Yep, just like the funny or die spoof ad says...
"We're Comcast, and we don't give a F*UCK about you!"
cj_version2

join:2014-07-08
US

Re: Tearing crap up.

I used to have a ferret a long time ago. Got along great with the cat and the malamute. Could trash anything though, so the analogy hehe. Yeah I would have loved to have stayed here for the install but Murphys Law; the one time I HAD to go somewhere they showed up.
cj_version2

join:2014-07-08
US
They might well be. I was watching local channels off a home made antenna vs the same on Comcast and no discernible difference on Comcast. On DirecTV it was very noticeable how many bits they were throwing out.

Review by clocks11 See Profile

• Location: 00000
Good "Internet Speed"
Bad "Customer service is worse than you've heard"
Overall "Once in a package you like, don't make ANY changes or your bill will get hosed"

Comcast provides nice services, but their customer service is horrendous. I was told multiple times that I could adds services, boxes, bump up internet speed, etc. without "breaking" my core package/contract. I had them upgrade me from Blast (50meg), which was included in my package to Extreme(105meg). Again, at the time of upgrading, I was told I could have it removed at anytime, it was a seperate add-on from my base package, etc... After a couple months, I called in to drop the $10 Extreme upgrade back to Blast. Now they are charging me the same $10 upgrade fee for Blast, that I was paying for Extreme. I have called twice, having to argue each time until the rep finally realizes I am correct that I should be getting blast for no extra charge. I have spent about two hours on the phone with off shore reps trying to resolve this. They keep telling me it is fixed, yet my bill amount remains wrong. So my advice if you choose to go with Comcast is, pick your initial package carefully, and NEVER try to tweak it. If you do, you will pay dearly in both time & money!

member for 12.3 years, 5337 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by wireless001 See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Comcast service person was pretty good."
Bad "Practically everything else."
Overall "Find something else if you can."

I moved from a house with FIOS to an apartment complex where Comcast was the only viable option. I ordered the Triple play, i.e., voice, cable and Internet. The voice installation, VoIP, went fine. The installer set up the DVR, but did not install the proper set top boxes in the bedroom for DVR access - requiring a second service call. The installer then installed the wireless router in a metal box in the front closet where I had no access in case of a problem. The original installation and set top box swap were performed by a Comcast contractor. My Internet service level is supposed to be 35 Mbps - on a shared link. My measured speed from two different Internet sites was less than 6 Mbps down and up. The second service person responding to my call was a Comcast service person and very willing to help me get a solution. Eventually we installed the wireless router on a shelf inside the closet, but outside the metal box. Internet speeds now vary from 12 Mbps to 18 Mbps down and ~6 Mbps up - still far from the advertised speed (I know it's a shared medium with overhead, etc.). If there was another option I'd probably go with it!

Comments:
JohnShade

join:2009-03-07
Pearland, TX

Go to the Comcast Direct Forum

Log in, go to the Comcast Direct Forum. The people who answer on that forum are all Comcast techs & engineers. They can look at everything that could be impacting your service and see about getting it resolved. That's why they're there

Review by joewho See Profile

• Location: Carpentersville,Kane,IL
Good "Everything works."

This is an updated review. Comcast has worked fine. Started with "silver" but it's really "starter". No contract, but prices effective for 1 yr. After the year was up we pleaded our case and were upgraded to "preferred" for 1 yr. at the same price. Very good. Now, today 12/7/13 the year is up and we were switched back to "starter" at the same price. Just like buying a car, you go in and tell them what you can afford and stick to it. However, we were spoiled by the preferred pkg. and now want to change to a promo that give us the diy channel, at the same price.

Comments:

ArrayList
netbus developer

Review by tcr22 See Profile

• Location: Saint Augustine,Saint Johns,FL
Good "Fast then dsl"
Bad "cost"
Overall "its the fast isp here"

Fast then dsl

Comments:

Review by mustang50 See Profile

• Location: Roseville,Macomb,MI
Good "Service works as well as expected"
Bad "Still pricey, especially eMTA fee of $7.00 and free DTA is now $2"

I've had Comcast for about about 5-6yrs now. Overall its been reliable, but there have been a few hiccups along the way. For the most part most things have been handled just calling the 800 number. A couple of times though I've had to use the DirectForum here at DSL Reports to get things fixed. While this is OK to me,I wonder how many others who don't know about this forum just have to live with a problem until it finally fixed.
I would like to say CC is trying and Steve and George have been great.
I finally bit the bullet and got triple-play last June, I am pleasantly surprised that CDV is working well.

Still waiting for DOCSIS 3.0. I know CC says by the end of 2010 all areas will have it, but it still sucks being last. I have a bad feeling it's going to be my X-mas present..lol
Maybe by time we get it they will have upstream bonding. Comcast MI needs to step up, instead of always following way behind.

I probably won't upgrade to a higher tier, but the channel bonding will hopefully eliminate my nightly slow downs.

Seems the competition is heating up. I've had u-verse and WOW salesmen at the door and many fliers in the mail. Almost felt sorry for the WOW guy. I asked if they could match CC's HD channels (we have over 100)..he shook his head and I thought he said wow...hahaha.
I also asked about plans for DOCSIS 3.0 ... I guess that did it...He said sorry to bother you and left.
So for now it's CC for me.

UPDATE---well not really an update because it's Sept 2010 and DOCSIS 3.0 is no where in sight. No one can even give an estimate when it might drop.

I know that many things have to done to launch D3, but to leave a major market area (Detroit) out of an upgrade seems kind of strange.
We (and there are many of us from MI) on DSLReports see all the great things OTHERS are getting and it really makes us upset that we pay our CC bills knowing we are NOT getting what others are.

UPDATE 11-4-10
A man came to the door today and told me Comcast would be working on the lines in our area. I asked if this was for DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades. He didn't really seem to know what DOCSIS 3.0 is, but he said it's for upgrades to get more HDs and faster internet. He said this would be soon though he didn't have a date or schedule. We got the HD channels (about 110 total) in June 09....So I hope these upgrades are for the internet...?!!!!

Update 12-1-2010
OK, so I guess CC decided to throw us a bone. They did upgrade us---BUT not to DOCSIS 3, they just (finally) upgraded to D 2 on the upstream. I guess something is better then nothing. This area's CMTS isn't D3 compatible, so I guess until they can change it, the wait will continue.........

Update 1-20-11

I guess Comcast missed their plan to have DOCSIS 3.0 to everyone by the end of 2010. I've heard the same thing the last couple of years, "It's coming soon"
Service has been good, TV and CDV work great, internet still slows down at night during primetime. The signals on my modem are a little off norm now.

While the down SNR is great @ 39dB----the power level jumped to +16 dBmV . I wasn't having any problems ,but I added a splitter to bring it down to 10 dBmV .
Thought about having a tech out, but it seems stable and I don't need the headache of trying to get them to understand what I mean. I'll keep an eye on it.

June 14,2011

Another 6 months and still no D3....I've been told it's close, but been there, heard that B4.
It's warmer out now and my downstream signal has dropped to +8 dBmV.
I was worried with the extra splitter the UP signal would go up, but so far it has stayed the same @ 47 .
My IP changed from 68.xxx.xxx.xxx range to 24.xxx.xxx.xxx. but no other changes that I can tell.
The last few days my lease time for the IP has been 1hr.. instead of the usual 5day lease. This usually means some maintenance going on, but I'm still hopeful for D3......yeah a sucker is born everyday...lol

Television and CDV working great, but DVR still locks up once in a while

UPDATE:6-24-2011

Well I guess I'm not a sucker...lol
DOCSIS 3.0 finally !!! I got 4 bonded downstream channels about a week after my last update.

To review, it has been very stable and my speed tests are almost exactly the same ALL the time. I tested at CC speedtest and get 30.4/3.5
I'm hoping that upstream bonding will hit soon. But I am very pleased with the results so far. This is on the BLAST tier. After my current promo is up I may try Extreme 50 for a while.

7-22-11
OK I have to give Comcast some kudos. I can honestly say I have never been happier w/comcast.
Since I got D3 a few weeks ago they have increased Blast speeds twice. Went from 16/2 before to 20/2 and recently 25/4. I have been consistently downloading @ 3.4MB/sec. with an initial PB @ over 4MB/sec.
The CDV has been flawless and the TV has been good with no pixelation and many HD channels.

OK enough...I don't want to jinx this...lol

1-25-12

Status the same....still getting good stable speeds. Still waiting for upstream bonding, but hey, it's good now. I had to replace my sb6120 because I'm clumsy and tripped over the cable and sent it flying into the wall. lol Something rattling around inside. Got a zoom 5341j and am happy with it. I like the 8x4 possibilities even though I only get 4x1 for now.

11-5-12
Got 8 bonded downstream .... Now just waiting for the same upgrade to BLAST that the northeast got... come on Comcast, we are paying customers too.

1-28-13

Comcast seems to be trying to push us to the edge.
By that I mean the price raises.
They seem to be hiding regular price raises in other areas...The modem fee has more then doubled from $3 to now $7...My "free , please take 2 DTA's are now $2 each...BTW I only took 1, but they tried to charge for 2....
I tried to watch Streampix (part of my Premier tripleplay...$4.95 was added to my bill. I called and they did remove the extra DTA and Streampix from my bill.

BUT when I paid my bill online (it was lowered because of the credits) I looked at the next months bill and was charged a late fee ($35.00) because I didn't pay the full amount due??? Yeah I did pay less then the original bill, BUT the website said less because of the credits. I called again and the lady said the credits weren't removed till after the next months bill...But I said the website said pay what I did pay. OK so now this month I must pay the late fee and it will be removed on the bill after this one??? Yeah I looked and it already off this months bill online, but I'd better pay the "FULL" amount or get another late fee...OMG now I'm thinking like them...lol

1-19-14
Things have been pretty steady...but last month a few HD channels that are part of my HD complete triple play were not coming in. ( was getting "this channel will be available soon" )... So I wait and wait and finally I decide to call after 4hrs and no channels. I wouldn't have cared so much but 1 channel was CBS.

I honestly thought twice about calling, Damn I should have thought three times. CSR is very friendly and has me do the usual --unplug the DVR...check connections ...no glory.. . He says " let me send a hit and see".... Still nothing. CSR states he going to reset my account and see what happens. Still nothing. I say I think the headend needs to be informed, but he wants to send a truck. I say I don't think it's here and decline the truck roll.

I just ask him to somehow report this to engineering and I wait. He says he will escalate this.. Long story short, about an hour later all channels are back....whew.

Ahhhhh but here's the zinger...... This month's bill comes and even though I didn't change anything my bill is $13.62 higher. No not because of price increases...because now all of a sudden they added
the HD technology fee..I think when the CSR reset my account he screwed something up.

Now I may be ignorant but I'm not stupid. I thought my HD COMPLETE XF triple play included everything..no DVR fees..no modem eMTA fees...nothing but the 3play price + taxes..

So I call billing...natch I get India...I explain the situation she says wait I'll check.. After 5 mins she says her boss says HD tech fee is not included and only reason I wasn't charged was because I'm on a 1 year promo.

I say yes I'm on a promo. She says HD tech fee is only for 6 months of my 1 yr. promo and I must pay this now. I try to explain even if this is correct,( I know it's not) I've only been on the promo 4 months. She says sorry, but nothing she can do.. I'm turning red and hold my temper and just hang up.

When I signed up the rep stated my bill would be the same for 12 months...I said no hidden fees ..he says no hidden fees, but taxes may change a few cents.

This is still not resolved , I'll try again Tuesday...MLK day Monday...uggg.

It is just so hard to get through to someone who really knows what to do @ Comcast.

update: 1-21-14
Ok it took an email to We_can_help@cable.comcast.com to resolve , but I think they straightened it out..(fingers crossed). lol I'll see next month

UPDATE 4-29-14

So today I find out Comcast may be dumping us to Charter...Hmmm
It figures, I was just getting happy...well maybe not happy...but satisfied with them.
The speed increase to 105/20 was pretty cool and unexpected. I haven't gotten the X-1 platform yet, but that also looks promising. Oh well no sense getting used to that.

I'm kind of bummed, although Comcast can be a hassle to get things fixed when broken, things are great when working.

I'm really thinking about dropping Comcast before they drop me. Yeah, a little dramatic, but hey they don't want my money anymore, so there's no reason to be loyal.
I'm sure all of this won't go down soon, so I have time to decide.

OK can someone direct me to the SPINCO forum??? lol

member for 9.3 years, 4226 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Central PA See Profile

• Location: Aspers,Adams,PA
Good "Download speed when not congested"
Bad "Ping, Jitter and Upload Speed"
Overall "Comcast provides a service here at a premium price."

Did not review Comcast Cable's Pre Sales or Installation because these were provided years ago by Adelphia.

Comments:

Review by murph12 See Profile

• Location: Jackson,Jackson,MI
Good "Decent Installers just young guys"
Bad "Comcast is terribleAND NOW EXTORTING IN APRIL 2014"
Overall "crap comcast cannot' do get fast cheap net in this countrty (Is the USA all medidcure now in everything?)"

·T-Mobile US
May 7, 2014, update - Comcast Collections and Audit Manager JAMES, has not sent me the 2010 Bills that He used to end my comcast Cable/HSI service and it has been a month now. This is the worst company in America for sure with people like this working in Management. If A Bill was not sent from 2010, and it is now May 2014, Comcast should, at the least, be concillatory as they did not bring it to the attention of the customer in 4 years, that is poor service.

April, 2014 UPDATE -- Comcast has resorted to a new low with AUDIT AND COLLECTIONS DEOT. that sems to create "old bills" when customers move, then they demand immediate payment (even though they sent no bill) or they will (and do) cancel the install at your new address!

USE THIS AS A OPPORTUNITY to find other ISPs and choose anyone BUT comcast as We as customers cannot reward such a criminal organization with such terrible service any more. I am done with them even if I have to use WiFi and VPNs.

COMCAST Services SE Michigan -- moving, Modem, and overall review -- October 2012. Edit Add Feb 10, 2013. Still expensive, and not fast

+++++++++++++++

2014 UPDATE -- Comast still too slow, and too expensive (for mediocre service) connecting to the Backbone)! Google Fiber rolls out prove beyond doubt they CAN offer speed for a reasonable price but only if forced to do so, by competition preferably or a law and tax issues otherwise (they surely will not do it unless forced) -- which is exactly, EXACTLY what We need in this Country (and State of Michigan) to get the economy going !! Competition for more connections to the Backbone with 10 GB speeds so that We home and business can have 1 GIG service for $50 month (and they would still make a incredible profits).

SO next time you talk to you, Us, the Voters, tell your Reps. and Senators if they want your vote to make a law the USA main ISPs that offer Home/Business Internet Service, they HAVE TO offer 1 GB service for $50 month or less, or face increased tax, or something *(better yet perhaps offer Startups the ability to compete without massive investment).

+++++++++++++++

From Early adopter (see below) of tech, mashups, mobile (Android, mainly), and Social -- use HSI (and need Gigabit Services) to upload programs, apps and other digital information Online.

As few recent reviews exist of Comcast (10/2012) in the local area -(Jackson, Ingham, Washtenaw) Counties I specifically wanted to review Comcast internet (HSI), Installation, speeds, modems, reliability, latency, and Prices.

First and most important: THE future is being held back in the USA by the lack of REAL High Speed Internet, known as Gigabit (Google is building Google Fiber, which is Gigabit --- so the US is behind. We need to do it ourselves. This is literally holding US, the Country, (and the World for that matter) back and from re-sparking the economy of 2000-2008- WE need Gigabit right now -- if you know the changes the "net" brought in the 1990s the prosperity, and opportunity -- then you know what Gigabit speeds, 1000 times faster than now --then 1000s times the prosperity is being held back!

OK - many do not know the same HDTV you get on cable is available FREE Over-the-Air now, exactly like on cable, all one needs is the right Antenna as digital TV is there -- or it's not. So I am using a mix of Internet and over-the-air, until I end cable TV soon just want to work the issues out before I save some $50 a month (probably more next week as the bill keeps going up).

I like others have started to cut the (TV) cable cord. and shifted towards internet service bringing TV programming to my DVR -- but PRICE is important as Netflix proved and now is only $8 month. But it does not provide networks, so that I get through over-the-air or Antenna.

With DVRs and other time shifting, for the most part have programming We want, when and where We want it -- even HBO is starting to provide "go" programming (but price is still an issue). The Cable (HBO) provides some of the best, cutting edge programming but I hope soon they will provide a pure internet option. Low Price matters. It is what brings Wide scale adoption.

"CUTTING THE CABLE CORD" BUT HAD TO MOVE FIRST:

COMCAST is a "main" provider of reasonably priced residential High Speed Internet (HSI) service in SE Michigan, widely available and mostly reliable -- BUT the speeds are slow in general (but great compared to the current options so in essence it is the only game in town).

We need Broadband Internet competition (as it seems other providers cannot seem to get critical mass and provide the same services, but I could be wrong). Mediocre Internet speeds of around 10 MB is now the norm for the lower price tiers I have currently, and although I want better speeds, it is the best available.

Now Google Gigabit or "Fiber" is only going to Kansas City so far -- Verizon FIOS proves the best price is around Fifty Dollars ($50) a month which they provide 50 MBps

»www.broadband.gov/plan/

We want more speed (as speed brings innovation) and FIOS is not available in SE Michigan. Google Fiber, or any gigabit fast Internet Service needs to be available in all of the USA as all Americans need to have (and need to demand) this the same as any other Utility - which it has become. Comcast does seem to provide 10 MB down, and around 1 MB up.

With the "boost" download speeds of 30 MBps is the service from Comcast in SE Michigan.

Moore's Law (double speed, half the price every 18 months or so) has not applied to Home Internet Service, IMHO, because the infrastructure was SOLD -- Our Government at work for US again

In any case We do have 0 to 30 MBps service from Comcast HIGH SPEED INTERNET with basic cable for about $80 a month here in SE MIchigan including basic shows on cable, but NO DVR..

Moving went well from Comcast "move" service online -- and HSI and CableTV service was moved on the day it was scheduled. Comcast has advertised two-hour appointments but I still wasted an entire day with it waiting for the installers, doing the work after they left, and having the new service being online for everything like it was at the former address.

As many Families want to lessen the ever increasing Cable bill, I too have started to "cut the cord" of CableTV -- as We can get HDTV over the air (in other words, with an Antenna) in SE Michigan in addition to Comcast Cable but you do need the TV that has a tuner in it or another set top box.

So I purchased a newer model Digital UHF and VHF antenna and used my existing equipment in Home including Digital tuners, HDTV, a generic DVR -- and for the cutting the cable start a Roku and BluRay DVD Player with Internet Apps built into it (thjese provide TV programs free after the box, which is less than $100 each, is paid for -- the only ongoing cost is the internet or Comcast HSI, which I have anyway for "internet service.".

These ROKU and APPS are sometimes called "media devices" and have come out in the past two years or so with newer ones released and being sold in stores every day (be cautious, as many are NOT ready to do what most people want them to do -- replace cable TV completely) that only need Broadband or HS Internet service for programing. The Blu-Ray includes an ethernet cable port, and included in it if you put HSI into the Ethernet through a Home router, is the "apps" provide Netflix, Vudu, and some other program names. It is NOT like watching traditional cable, so it takes some time and get use to them, and the extra effort needed to find, watch, and hook into (Register, some free, some charge) shows -- although they sometimes do have the regular network TV Shows (e.g. "House") they are usually NOT on at the same time the first run showing on traditional Networks (ABC, NBC, CBS).

This obviously causes problems for some, including myself, as that is the reason I am still paying for basic cable (the favorite shows).

To lower the monthly costs (which IS a consideration) requires ending cable TV programming charges completely which I have NOT done yet. I also enjoy other programming (such as BBC) not usually available and the "apps" and Roku provide these shows and so far the 10-30 MBps service has worked well for them, no problems usually but they do take time to "load" (5-10 seconds). As an "early adopter" to these "media devices" they are great and use the same HSI we already have -- but I wonder at what point the will need more Bandwidth? The programs or apps are exponentially growing and so many are available this is not the place to do anything more than say there are thousands! Comcast HSI enables Us to bring these programs into the Home, with the "apps" -- If possible your tech-savvy Son, Daughter or Friend could set up for you but this defeats the purpose I believe but most are free so not a big deal !

Modems is the next issue as it was the Motorola Surfboard SB6120 which Comcast charges me $7 month rental fee. The only "plus" to this is they own it so if it fails they have to replace it free. I am going to purchase one but of course, which one is the issue.

Moving Cable installation itself was easy but it cost $30 install fee. The value of a network interface, the RG6 cable, and splitters is worth it but Comcast has certainly got to do this better - We used to have to sit around all day waiting on the Installer (without even a call) -- this time they did call and let me know they were on the way. I was fortunate to get good installers (two of them). They were good, and Comcast even started putting up plastic network boxes on the Outside House Wall (similar to network interface used by phone companies).

SPEEDS: Comcast HSI Internet speeds IMHO, are the reason I am with Comcast as compared to DSL, or other services *although see above about Gigabit*. The Service and Speeds are mostly reliable and the price is reasonable but given Comcast loves to confuse Consumers with Marketing and Pricing nonsense (triple double play, service speed/reliability (almost the same confusion attempts as with Flat-screen HDTVs).

It would behoove Most Consumers to find, or hire, someone who is tech-savvy to advise them who is NOT selling them anything - on what to order. A close friend or someone to do research online for HSI specials is almost required as they do run "specials" all the time, so do that before the order as it COULD save a considerable amount given all the nonsense marketing (mixed in with actual specs). Get someone who ACTUALLY knows Computers, Tech and doing online searches (vs. people who "say" they do but could not determine what site is comcast, and which sites are NOT comcast.

SECURITY. make sure if you have wirless your WPA2 personal or similar is on and a password set first thing. Otherwise you might spend a $1000 or Two of hard earned money and get stuck with crap that everyone is able to get into as easy as sitting in front of your House. Same for non-wireless as the firewall and anti-virus is required today. Not having them is akin to leaving your front door open and Comcast includes some security programs but I do not use them so cannot comment - but they are included free as constant guard so USE THEM. If you do NOT have a Son, Friend, Work person, that is "Tech-Savvy" person to double check this, others are easily found and available at most computer shops. it is well worth PAYING if you do not know what to do, or seek out a business (which do exist but not in small communities it seems) to secure your HSI. At a minimum use the Constant Guard included with Comcast HSI.

Comments:

Rick4769

join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

Comcast/Time Warner Merger

Once I heard that Comcast was going to purchase Time Warner Cable, I immediately call Verizon FIOS. I was a Time Warner Cable subscriber for over 10 years. I want no part of Comcast or Charter.

karpodiem