Review by prahawalker See Profile

• Location: Chico,Butte,CA
Good "Better than Uverse"
Bad "Customer service is terrible. Price"
Overall "Okay Internet but the price is WAY too high."

I purchased the Internet only. Started at a year of 29.99 then went up to $67 and this is not blazing fast Internet.
I was promised an install for one fee then when they finished it was much higher. I had the paper that stated my install cost so I fought them and won.
I bought a Netgear cable modem instead of renting theirs for an ungodly fee.

Comments:

Review by dandelion See Profile

• Location: Germantown,Shelby,TN
Good "The only cable offered in my area"
Bad "Fair"
Overall "Usually things improve when not a monopoly"

The steps you have to go through on the answering machine when calling to order, get help, start or stop a service etc. is excessive even from today's standards and there is a possibility you will get cut off while waiting then need to start it all again.

You can call Comcast, speak to a very nice customer service rep, think all is arranged and call back only to find out all is NOT arranged and totally different information is given out between one rep and another. If you desire to talk to a supervisor there is none available usually so you wait for a possible phone call. I don't believe this is different from most cable though. I DO object to them using shoddy modems i.e. not a new one even in the stores and all rebuilt. So far mine is working but there is a rattle inside if you shake it.

Updating review. Comcast OK having my own modem. They have messed up my speed tier then after three calls and escalation finally fixed. This is standard for most cable companies I think. In other words none are very friendly?

member for 11.9 years, 7177 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

Comcast still about the same

In all this time, Comcast hasn't changed much. They are the only cable around, still a monopoly though there are other alternatives I like cable the best. I think their customer service leaves a lot to be desired but probably not as bad as some I've read about either.

Review by jonswaff See Profile

• Location: Nashville,Davidson,TN
Good "Download speed is consistent"
Bad "Comcast commits fraud"
Overall "Comcast adds a lot of additional charges"

In June of 2014 I saw a package on Comcast's website for Xfinity Internet: Blast Plus, 50Mbps download speed, $29.99/mo for 6 months. I read the fine details and saw that the price after 6 months would be around $45/mo. My existing internet service through AT&T cost around $65 for 45Mbps download speed, so I decided to switch to Comcast because it was $20 cheaper than AT&T. I went through Comcast’s online signup process. During the process, there was absolutely no mention of a 300GB data cap. Additionally, there was no mention of a $10 overage charge for every 50GB downloaded in excess of 300GB.

In September of 2014 I received an email and a phone call stating I was about to exceed my data cap. This was very surprising to me as I was never told that there was a data cap during the signup process. I had actually never heard of any ISP employing data caps. I went back to Comcast's website and went through the signup process again, specifically looking for data cap information but found nothing. I took screenshots of the entire signup process. I am furious because Comcast sold me an internet service at a flat $45/mo rate but I am paying ~$115/mo.

I contacted an attorney that specializes in consumer protection law. I explained the situation and presented my evidence. I was told that, without a doubt, Comcast violated the Tennessee Consumer Protection Act and the FTC Act - Section 5. A company cannot decieve consumers. What can I do about it... nothing. Comcast has language that forces arbitration. The only thing I can do is file a BBB complaint and complain to the Tennessee Attorney General.

I complained to Comcast and all they started screwing with my account. I get charged late fees even though my account is on autopay. It is an absolute nightmare for me.

Comments:

ComaCastoff

@qwest.net

Comcast continues to disappoint - high level management changes needed

I am no longer a comacast customer.

I disagree with a comment I read earlier today about competition improving their customer service. I think a large base of their former customers would not agree to accept service from them if paid to do so. I certainly would discontinue any use of the internet if comacast were my only choice. They do not need more competition, they need severe changes in the higher echelons of management to cure the systemic problems upon which they have plagued their customer base for most if not all of their existence.

I had constant problems with with billing. I had a straight forward plan with them, but the bill varied from month to month by as much as $60.00. My first monthly bill was according to the contracted plan I agreed upon yet every subsequent bill varied, but never equalled or was lower than what I actually owed. I was on the phone with them every month and always assured OI was right and they would fix the problem. Every time I spoke with them, I asked for the employee's name or employee number ID number or some form of identification with which I could refer any future caller or in any correspondence I might write. This request was met with first names only and I did talk to several John Smiths, some of whom had what clearly seemed to female voices. I paid only the amount agreed upon and past due charges continued to build. I never paid the additional amounts and despite the threats of credit score ruination and my personal knowledge of their well known practice of changing my name to something profane, neither happened. I was unable to cancel the service prior to the end of the agreement without incurring an expense that was in the agreement, so I continued to pay the agreed upon amount until the end of the agreement.

After a few months of "late charges" continued to stack, I stopped calling them and they started calling me. When I began to be harassed, I would hang up on them or just put them on hold. The agreement did not include free offensive language and threats of collection agencies, but perhaps those "features" were what the extra billing was supposed to cover. The billing cost that varied was always under the line item of the basic ISP services instead of a variety of "pop-up" surprise charges I have seen others mention. I had a straight plan which did not have any variability for the cost of the ISP and had no other service with them.

The service started to become spotty with lengthy periods when I could not log on and very frequent loss of signal or tremendous lag even when attempting to connect to Google with no other windows open.

I abandoned them, subscribed to another ISP with whom I have been quite satisfied and continued to pay the agreed upon figure until the end of the agreement. Along the way, the bundling agreement with cable TV and landline phone was broken by comacast and they attempted to use that as a reason for increasing the monthly charge for ISP which was in the contract, but I had not stopped either of the other two services and continued to maintain a good relationship with them. I wrote to them explaining the situation and received two of the most vague pieces of correspondence which sent me the meta message of "Yeah, we know they are terrible, don't worry about your service with us." and all written with enough plausible deniability left to the interpretation of the reader to keep comacast's legal office at bay.

I got notice from a collection agency and decided to write to them and comacast on the stationary of my law firm. I instructed the collection agency to cease any and all collection efforts until they could confirm the debt with their client, comacast. I never heard from the collection agency again. By requesting they confirm the debt, a collection agency must be made aware of the specifics of the debt instead of just being engaged to collect an amount named by their client, thus the collection agency was provided with the agreement and the billing history. Apparently, it was clear to the collection agency that no true debt existed.
IanLee

join:2014-11-24
Woodland, WA

Re: Comcast continues to disappoint - high level management changes needed

The sad truth is Comcast is basically a monopoly where they have the agility to data throttle you and charge you extra fees at ANY TIME, for ANY REASON.

Either you get screwed or you get lucky.

Review by Master Wolfe See Profile

• Location: Panama City,Bay,FL
Good "You do get quite a bit for your money"
Bad "Customer service is becoming horific. "
Overall "Unhappy"

Jan. 28 2015

Jan. 16th I tweeted @comcastcares, and got no reply until Jan 26th. So I replied, and no response. I tweeted again on the 28th, got a reply, and DM from Comcast Dan. He supposedly set me up an appointment for today Feb. 1st. Yesterday I got a call from Comcast Simon (?) asking if I was still having issues, and I said I was. He began recommending weird options (a TG722, several years old), and when I called him on that, he became quite rude. So to change the subject, I asked about the appointment I had scheduled, and he said you have no appointment, and abruptly switched me off into the queue! I hung up, and checked my account online, and sure enough, no appointment showed! I fired off a feedback form, and got a fairly quick callback. So now I 'think' I have an appointment tomorrow, but my God, customer service is on a fast train downhill.

=================================================================

Jan. 22, 2015

I don't even recall when I wrote my previous review. I didn't stay gone long. The other option here is WOW (still Knology at that time), and they make Comcast look like the best possible choice.

Overall, I have been happy. Customer service is still spotty and frustrating, but services are good. I have a single channel which has audio issues, and Comcast and the station blame each other. I currently have the HD Premier Triple Play for $159, which includes all the premium channels but TMC, Sports Entertainment Add-on, Extreme 105/20 Internet, and phone. My current gateway, Technicolor TC8305C, is a POS, and I've had issues with getting it traded for something else. A chat CSR said she was sending me a Cisco Gateway III, and instead I received TWO other gateways, one the same as my current, and another older one. For that, I was charged two shipping fees of $9.95, and the phone CSR refused to remove but one. So there it is. Don't deal with customer service, and you'll be happy.

================================================

Update: Wow, because the woman did not close my account properly, I got another bill claiming money was still owed. I emailed the rep who was supposed to be resolving this issue, and she (hopefully!) finally got it closed and cleared. I'm extremely disappointed with my last couple of months experience with Comcast customer service. Up until this period, I had no real problems, but sadly, the phrase "what have you done for me lately" comes to mind.

=================================================

Some frustrations lately with customer service and the discovery that my 1 year price was about to expire finally pushed me away. The disconnect between online reps and local reps can be EXTREMELY frustrating. And when I replaced my rented modem, I had some issues with the first device I bought. The lady whom I was speaking to on the phone was going on GOOGLE to try and figure out how to help me! The woman didn't have a clue, I don't know if I got shunted to the wrong department in the queue or what, but that was unbelievable.

And after taking my equipment to the local office and (fortunately) getting a receipt, I was still getting emails and phone calls forwarded from my Comcast number and email. After a week and a half, I called, and the lady to whom I spoke says their record shows I didn't return my EMTA. Grrrrr! She was kind enough to allow me to email her a scanned copy of my receipt, and hopefully that resolved the issue. She didn't reply to my request for an update yet, so we'll see.

Bottom line is, services are good, but expensive. Customer service reps are very much a toss of the dice, and the difference between what an online rep tells you and what your local office can/will do is very frustrating at times. And if you return equipment, GET A RECEIPT and hold onto it.

member for 5.9 years, 2933 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dolphins See Profile

• Location: Westville,Gloucester,NJ
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Internet speeds are finally what they should be."
Bad "The worst customer support I've ever encountered."
Overall "Only service available on my block."

Was transitioned from @Home,been using Comcast for 5 years now and really can't complain. Virtually problem free since I deleted all comcast software,although my line quality is rarely above 90%(re-transmissions) but, it's still the best product available for my area.

05/16/02 update:

They seem to have got it together, I have had 100% line quality as of late and have yet to have any down time since the transition. It's still the best you can get at this price.

11/25/02

Still no down time and speeds are consistently at the cap 1500/128, I couldn't be happier!

06/20/2003

100% line quality,consistently at new cap 1800/256,No down time in over a year.

01/06/04

Consistently at or above new cap 3000/256, Still no outages since the transition. Some friends of mine have gone with VerizonDSL because they never successfully made the transition. I'm staying with Comcast!

01/14/04

Installed new Motorola SB5100 modem and Linksys BEFSR41 etherfast router and dropped the 2 RCA DCM235 modems. Only took about 30 minutes to setup and be online. Comcast tech did her job flawlessly. Speed 3124/240 with 100% line quality.

08/20/05

Speeds at cap 4000/384 with 100% line quality so I bumped up connection reliability to 5 (best) Can't comment on the others because I haven't spoke to tech support,sales rep,co-ordinator or required any additional services. As for the value, it's still the best for the price but the only way I could give it a 5 is if it were free:)

12/09/05

Not quite up to new cap of 6000/384 since they moved me to a new IP block to make room for new customers. Really high ping times at peak hrs, speed drops to DSL speeds. Waiting for a solution?

07/03/06

Installed new computer, ran Tweak Test and Speed Test from BBR tools and found that my RWIN had been lowered and Windows scaling had been turned off. I guess my Nvidia nForce Network Controller/NIC has changed my settings. Anyway my speed is above the cap now and I have 100% line quality.

4/13/07

Been upgraded to "Performance: 6000 kbps / 768 kbps w/ powerboost" with 100% line quality. No complaints.

10/19/07

Waiting to see if they give me Blast?

01/28/08

Somewhere along the way I have been upgraded to "Performance: 6000 kbps / 1000 kbps w/ powerboost". Verizon FIOS has been implemented in my neighboring town of Woodbury but not here in Westville yet.

11/22/08

Upload speeds have been intermittent lately from fast to slower than 56K. Gonna head over to »Broadband Tweaks forum and run some tests.

11/30/08

Upload and download speeds still not consistent. I did everything I can do now it's up to Comcast.

01/06/09

Been getting some pretty good speeds lately.
Last Result:
Download Speed: 16006 kbps (2000.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2506 kbps (313.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Download Speed: 14514 kbps (1814.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2620 kbps (327.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Waiting on the new upgrades.

6/30/2011

Got a 25% boost in speed earlier this month, Performance tier 20/4 at no extra cost. With some help over at the Broadband Tweaks forum I'm getting speeds above the cap with 100% line quality.

6/8/2013

Upgraded to 50/10 tier. Speeds are consistently above cap.

12/19/2013

Since upgrading to Blast 50/10 speeds have been consistently above cap. Latest speed test from my router's cloud-based servers: 82.37MB/11.22MB
I changed the tech support rating to the lowest rating because of a recent Comcast email server problem. After escalating my complaint they couldn't figure it out. Then they offed to do a remote diagnosis for a fee of $49.00. I thought, "Wait a minute you want me to trust my computer and all my personal information to someone in a foreign country plus you're gonna charge me $49.00?" No thank you! As it turns out the problem was caused by a bug in my antivirus which I promptly fixed. How can Comcast police a third party tech support service in a foreign country which does not have the same laws as the US and assure quality assistance? I'll answer that myself, "They can not!"

member for 13.6 years, 4896 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bigkevssf See Profile

• Location: Dublin,Alameda,CA
Good "good speed compared to anything else available"
Bad "lose connection all the time."
Overall "you have to take the good with the bad"

, equipment rental is too expensive, NEVER go into the Comcast store. It's like DMV.

Comments:

Juls

@spcsdns.net

Bad customer service

They are the worst customer service and no one care and they just put you on hold forever so you give up. Horrible supervisors

Review by Dave S See Profile

• Location: Bethany,New Haven,CT
Good " None"
Bad "Does not perform even close to what I was promised"
Overall "If you have another choice, take it"

I have had Comcast business class internet now for 2 months. Being in business myself I always understand with new comes glitches. However, we purchased this internet line to email possible clients and we have had nothing but problems from day 1. The sales man I had Greg F. was great about telling me this is exactly what I needed. I sent him a copy of the email we send and asked him to verify that we would have no problems. Every day and half we are marked as sending spam. I have had more conversations with the "Security Assurance Team" in 2 months than I do with my wife. The end result is always the same. That it is an end user issue and I have paid an IT professional to verify that it is not an end user problem. It boils down to this. They gave me a static IP with two of the IP's being dirty and they have a history before we had them of spamming every day. So we start out with a very low global sending score. Then trying to get them to change the IP's is like trying to get something through congress. They are awful and have cost my company thousands in lost revenue. If you have another choice use it. At the very least make sure to get a good IP and you will need to verify that. DO not trust their word. This has also been verified by their third party spam monitor, Cloud Mark in California, that the ip's are the problem. I had to pay a professional to find this out, it never came from Comcast. VERY VERY frustrated and disappointed.

Comments:
Eric28001

join:2012-03-14
North Dartmouth, MA

IP's

Getting IP's should not be hard to do at all actually and i have done it in the past easily with comcast no problem and come to find out it was the firewall that was causing the issues and not the IP.

Could have been a lot worse and you could have been having signal issues, the fact that it was only an IP issue is a good thing.

Review by rmoonin See Profile

• Location: Trenton,Mercer,NJ
Good "Zero"
Bad "The worst service that a business can have"
Overall "Avoid Comcast at all costs if you have a business"

·Cox HSI
We have had nothing but headaches and a horrible experience with Comcast in our office. We have a VOIP phone system leased from them. Our accounting firm has lost service repeatedly during tax season. A letter to the executive offices was not responded to for three weeks. I back charged our last charge with American

Express today. Maybe it will get them to react. Having dealt with Century Link, Verizon FIOS, Covad and others I can confirm that Comcast is a horrible company to deal with. My big mistake was to leave FIOS which was incredibly reliable for Comcast. My attorney says that I can sue them for loss of service but we has time to go through the mess of a lawsuit. I will bring back FIOS one day after the contract ends in December. If you are thinking about using Comcast in your business think again. Forget the national advertising. This cable company is one to avoid at all costs.

I still continue to have problems with Comcast. For a commercial account you would think they would make some kind of effort to contact me. Amex is doing the best they can with this company. Who has the time to sue them and they know it. I am writing a comment in the one of the national CPA magazines and perhaps that will get them to respond. Their business practice is just to ignore all calls and letters. If you are a smart business person you will avoid dealing with Comcast. Once they merge with Time Warner they will be impossible to deal with. Go with FIOS if it is available. Dealing with Verizon is better.

They only responded and sent out when I told them I was bringing in the NY Times for an interview. I do not have time to sue them but the contract will be finished in 6 months and they will be replaced by FIOS. As a commercial account we are not used to being treated by a schlock company like Comcast. Competition is good. I have told my clients to stay away from Comcast. They should have replaced the old lines with fiber but are spending billions on acquiring Time Warner.

I have had worthless Comcast for our accounting business for about 18 months and will cancel them with certainty. The stress and aggravation they caused me will never happen again. After I backcharged them they just rebilled our Amex. I am trying to run a business and do not have the tine to deal with the flunkies that run their commercial telephone and internet services business. I just tell our clients to deal with anyone else and avoid dealing with them. They could care less. My lawyer tells me it is not worth suing them as will just go into arbitration. I was a professional arbitrator myself for many years. Who has time to deal with some shlocky company. Just remember what I said. Avoid dealing with Comcast commercial services for anything.

I finally got rid of Comcast for phone and internet. Comcast plays dirty and tough. It cost me a few hundred dollars in cancellation fees but I am glad that I replaced them with Verizon's FIOS. Far faster speeds and much more reliable. We brought in a consultant who rewired everything and helped us port our number away from Comcast. I have told our clients to go elsewhere and that Comcast was impossible to deal with. We were promised and paid for commercial internet service and the consultant showed me that we were set up for residential service. Not worth wasting time pursuing any legal action with them. The big joke is that I keep getting mail and calls from them looking for us to get internet or telephone or television service from them. If you are smart you will go elsewhere. Life is too short to have to deal with Comcast.

member for 14.6 years, 1527 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
tdumaine
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

Heh

The chargeback will result in disconnection and an etf. If you have enough to go to court, do it. >That will get their attention.

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

Re: Heh

Comcast has to honor AMEX, if they dont amex can break it agreement with comcast . IF comcast were smart , which they arent they would offer this customer, 2 free months service. But comcast doesnt care.

FureverFurry
join:2012-02-20
Wyoming, MI
·Vonage

Good luck

Good luck taking Comcast to court (seriously) ! Are you sure there isn't that hidden, wonderful "binding arbitration" clause in your business account agreement?

Love your AMEX chargeback, but be prepared for disconnection for an unpaid bill regardless of how warranted it is. You might consider filing an FTC complaint.
Good luck and hope you prevail against "Kabletown".
dubenezic

join:2004-05-06
Jersey City, NJ

Re: Good luck

I sued Comcast 2 years ago. They never showed up in court then called to threaten that if I didn't agree to an adjournment they would file a motion to vacate the judgment that I received because of their no show. The Judge denied their motion and they had to cut me a check for 3k, which is what I sued them for.

Saying good luck sarcastically (which is what it looked like to me) implies that no one can ever win.

FureverFurry
join:2012-02-20
Wyoming, MI

Re: Good luck

Oh dear; my "good luck" was merely that -- saying Good Luck; no sarcasm intended.

Impressive that you were able to sue as - last I knew - Comcast has a binding arbitration clause unless one has specifically opted out.
rmoonin

join:2000-08-05
Newtown, PA
·Cox HSI
I do not have time to sue them. Time is money. I could win based upon the outages we have had. Their attorneys handling these cases are usually youngsters right out of a third tier law school. Just avoid using Comcast for anything. You will be glad you listened to me. And never use them for any business service. Our Nevada office uses Cox and they are a pleasure to deal with and have far better pricing.
deadtired

join:2003-01-30
Hephzibah, GA

bad service

leave a post on there FaceBook page , I did and they called me back the same day and sent a tech out to fix my problems ,the same day ,in fact when they asked when I wanted them someone to come I said I would be home in a hr, TEch was there waiting on me when I got home , everything was working when he left , it took 4 hrs but this tech took his time and did a very good job

Review by PrymeMover See Profile

• Location: Olathe,Johnson,KS
Good "Excellent installer, quick turnaround, weekends available"
Bad "Mediocre routing, installation follow-up, devices and firmware"
Overall "Acceptable speeds, high price, abysmal follow-up"

·Consolidated Com..
I recently moved from one KC suburb to another, and crossed a boundary between TWC and Comcast service areas. I had 100/5 service with TWC, and subscribed to 105/20 with Comcast. First impression...I have to say that speeds were more consistent with TWC - more sites, and more speedtests, would show me at or near my line's provisioned capacity. Comcast's routing, at least in this area, seems to be less optimal--I can still get my rated speeds using (one) of Comcast's speedtest sites, but most others are far lower than they were, relatively speaking, to TWC. The upstream is consistently faster; however, the (presumed) routing situation impacts it as well.

TWC was also cheaper - $80 vs $115 with Comcast. This is an area soon to be built out with Google Fiber (1000/1000 for $70), so it's somewhat surprising that they aren't trying to build customer loyalty ahead of time. If they were to double the downstream, I'd be happier paying the premium over my prior provider. I don't really need it (or even 105 for that matter), but I want it anyway.

Comcast also charges an absolutely ridiculous $250 installation fee for the 105/20 package--and that package only. I honestly don't know how they can justify this. TWC upgraded me from 15/2 to 50/5 to 100/5 without any spurious fees or home visits, so I have to wonder if Comcast is using it as a disincentive to prevent too many subscribers on a node.

The installer was on-time, professional, and did a superb job. He even ran a new line to the utility easement (at least I got something out of that $250 fee I guess?) based on the visual condition of the existing lines. He assured me that the burial of the run would be handled without intervention from me, so I let it go. However, a month later, the line had yet to be buried. In the meantime, both Dish and AT&T have installed services and completed their cable burials.

I finally contacted Comcast a couple weeks back and got a (new?) date set for the burial...which was missed. I called back and was told that I would have a response for the missed appointment and a new date within 24 hours...which didn't happen. I'm now over 6 weeks with a line running through the back yard. Annoying.

***Update: Comcast called the day after I initially posted this review and finally completed the cable burial. Glad it finally got done, but it should not have taken 6+ weeks and repeated calls.

My experience with multiple cable providers at multiple locations has engendered a fundamental distrust of cable service in terms of reliability. Accordingly, I have a backup AT&T U-Verse internet circuit as well, which has already had to be used more than once. It's slower, but it's also cheaper and more reliable.

***Update Oct 2014: Earlier this year, in what I can only assume was an attempt to preempt Google, Comcast started offering a pretty nice package - 250/25, plus an HD DVR and basic cable, for $70/mo. The term is 2 years, price guarantee for 3 years, with a new Comcast-supplied modem (no rental fee) and free installation. Though Google will likely be here before my term is complete, I signed up - why not? I'll deal with the ETF later.

The installation itself, though long, was fine until I went to do a speed test. I was only getting 5mbps. I pointed this out to the technicians before they left, but they spouted something about it taking up to 24 hours for the speeds to increase - which I knew was BS, but it was already evening and they were itching to get out of there (and I was ready to be done). I don't remember the exact details of what I then did, but ultimately I called in (multiple times) and they scheduled a truck roll to solve an obvious provisioning issue (sigh). Before they arrived, I got a call telling me that I was getting the correct speeds. Turns out, Comcast had two $70 special promotions - one that included expanded cable and 5mbps, and one that had basic cable and 250mbps. After resolving that, and getting the DPC3939 modem into bridge mode (you CANNOT set it locally, it has to be set by a CSR), I was set.

Performance of the connection has been pretty good. I regularly test at right around 290/30mbps. It's not terribly reliable though...any power outage more than a flicker causes the connection to go down, despite the fact that everything on my end is on UPS gear capable of hours of runtime. Usually, it stays down for hours and hours after the power is restored, too. My backup AT&T connection, on the other hand, has had a grand total of 418 seconds of downtime in 306 days. That's 99.998% uptime.

A few months ago, and after having ran fine for months, the DPC3939 modem decides it's going to start rebooting every 5 minutes. It's an exceptionally long and frustrating story, but the shortened version is that the modem has known issues in bridge mode (no idea why it suddenly started doing that after running fine for 4+ months). I tried to use a different modem, but Comcast has no config file for any modem other than the DPC3939 for that speed tier. So, I lived with double NAT for 6-8 weeks by using my slower AT&T connection for things it broke. It took that long before I had the energy to call Comcast again. I spoke to an agent that was, in a word, exceptional. After confirming that the bridge issue was supposedly resolved, we tried it...and no luck, it started rebooting again. We tried a few more things, each time the agent waiting to make sure the line was stable, before happening upon the sequence that worked--to manually disable wireless before setting bridge mode. This agent was truly exceptional, spending well over an hour on the phone and not hanging up until the problem was definitively solved, including waiting for 10 minutes to confirm it was stable. I wish this were the norm instead of the exception.

*** Update Dec 2014: I woke up the other day to Comcast being down, yet again. Review of the logs showed it has been down for hours, corresponding to a reboot of the cable modem. Modem would not issue an IP to my router. Try a manual power cycle, no change. I performed a factory reset, and got an RFC1918 address (it wipes out bridge mode). It was then that I saw the modem's interface now had a button to enable bridge mode without having to contact Comcast. After reviewing the forums, it appears that they rolled a firmware update that completely broke all customers that were previously in bridge mode with this modem. The good news is that I was able to flip it into bridge mode myself. It didn't work initially and required yet another manual power cycle, but the modem now issues a public IP. Add it to the miles-long list of things that Comcast sucks at. I swear, this piece of **** modem is the cause of at least a third of my frustration with Comcast.

member for 14.3 years, 3699 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by darthanubis See Profile

• Location: Richmond,Chesterfield,VA
Good "none"
Bad "Ignorant customer support. Uniformed, lazy, unprofessional techs."
Overall "Choose anyone else. It boggles the mind how they monopolize the market."

Check the G+ reviews. You need read no more.