Review by sanka See Profile

• Location: Spring,Montgomery,TX
Good "reliable"
Bad "Exorbidant"
Overall "top of the heap"

This is a followup to a review I posted a few years ago as SANKA. I was
prompted to review our ISP and VOIP after trying to run a SpeedTest. I now
have a MacMini and evidently no Flash no Java no speedtest. Who knew?

Hi, Vonage is a placeholder for my 25 yr old land-line phone number. The
phone rings occasionally and works fine for about $12/mo.
Comcast ISP had been providing 25up and 5down as advertised, with no
troubles for 3 yrs, until the past weekend; 6-7 Sep 2014, just a trickle of
internet and Mon it came back slowly and then went on a tear; 85down, 12up.
Presently we're back to 30/4. Comcast boosted download from 10 to 25 a yr
ago, but I had to add basic cable and paid an extra $10/mo. Ttl = $85 now
and the cable box isn't hooked up. I tried Uverse when we moved to Houston
from Detroit 3 yrs ago and it didn't work out, for whatever reason. We had
decent service from Comcast ISP for 8 yrs in Pontiac, Mi. They scare me,
but I don't think I have any better options. Do you? Have a good one.

Comments:

Review by camper See Profile

• Location: Bethel,Fairfield,CT
Good "HSI service is very good, albeit expensive"
Bad "customer service is really poor"
Overall "I always hope nothing goes wrong as customer service is more destructive than helpful"

I've had Comcast as my ISP for about nine years now, as TV provider since well before Comcast came to town (going back to the TelePrompTer days). I moved to Comcast HSI from DSL. I have the "25mbps Performance Service" along with Digital Starter Service for my TV. The $135 price includes both of those services. The HSI portion is $54. I own the modem and I did the modem install myself.

The HSI service had been excellently reliable (even the IPv6 /60 prefix delegation). I do run my own caching recursive DNS server, so I am not affected by Comcast's DNS issues.

My experiences with Customer Service have been very poor, with a rare (very rare) ray of sunshine when I happen to talk with someone who is more interested in helping me than closing a trouble ticket or upselling me.

I have had a representative just hang up on me. I have had email Customer Support conversations just stop, waiting for a Comcast resolution that never happens. I have gotten bad and/or incorrect technical information from Customer Support.

On the plus side, any time a tech has visited my house, that has always been a very positive experience. Comcast Danbury seems to employ very good customer-facing techs.

Overall, currently I would rate Comcast's ISP service as "very good, but expensive".

The comcast.com website is ridiculous. Very little it shows to me regarding upgrade options makes sense. Even though I tell the site I am a current customer, it shows me offers suitable only for new customers. Maybe Comcast is trying to tell me that they want me to leave them? I wish I knew....

[update: 2014-09-10 - various updates to fix typos and clarify what I said]

member for 4.5 years, 1657 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sdm1031 See Profile

• Location: Burlington,Burlington,NJ
Good "When it works it's great"
Bad "Overpriced. Slow internet. Indian call centers. Horrible tech support."
Overall "If it weren't for the fact they are borderline a monopoly and I have no other choice, I'd have left their asses many years ago."

I've been with Comcast since Comcast first came about. Way back in the day when cable modem technology was the new thing, I was on Garden State Cable in NJ and the cable provider was @Home if we can all remember those days. Comcast rolled into the area and bought everything up like most monopolies do. So by default I was with them since the beginning. In South Jersey there is no real option besides DirectTV and if you are lucky, FIOS through Verizon. I am no so lucky because that's only in certain towns / areas. If I had the ability to leave Comcast I would have many years ago. Their tech support staff is horrid. Back in the day you would at least get to speak to an American. Now it's blatantly obvious you are dealing with a call center in India. They are of no help at all. You get the normal run around about unplugging your modem, etc when we all know that's no solution. I've worked IT for many years and I can tell you right now, in my personal experience, the problems are generally from something they've done on their end. You sit on the phone for 30 mins while they run through their ordeal of unplugging and plugging in your modem. Hard resetting. All the things you know are not going to solve your problem only to have them schedule a tech to come to your house. That requires taking off work, and for what? A problem that was their fault all along. I'm mostly speaking about my most recent issues with them pushing firmware changes to my cable modem (purchased BY me mind you) and it breaking my connectivity. I could go on for days about my issues with Comcast's internet service. When it works, it's great. 20Mbit/sec is a decent speed but not for the price. These days, with Google, and people trying to compete with Google, the price is outlandish. I pay $170 a month and all I get is basic cable with some premium channels such as science, discovery, etc. I have two cable boxes and internet. That's an absurd price in my opinion but they know they can get it from me because there is no alternative where I live. I couldn't even get Direct TV if I wanted (not that I would) because I'm an apartment dweller and we are not allowed. So the monopoly that is Concastic steals that 170 a month off me knowing full well I have no real choice but to pay it. I could go on forever about how disappointed I am with Comcast, but would all the complaining really help? No. It's just a bunch of self serving venting while I sit here using my phone for internet service because my Comcast is down once again due to yet another firmware push by them. Thanks Comcast.

Comments:

Review by Chuck66 See Profile

• Location: Mount Royal,Gloucester,NJ
Good "Fast, Fast"
Bad "Comcast support is awful"
Overall "It's my only choise for boradband service"

·Callcentric
Had a ton of random disconnects and packet loss when we first moved in to this new development. Myself and another neighbor lead a development wide assault on Comcast support. It was determined that our node was saturated and they scheduled us to be put on out node. Suprised the work was completed quickly and we couldn't be more happier. Our service it pretty rock solid and fast

member for 10.4 years, 2033 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by IceCuban See Profile

• Location: Stockton,San Joaquin,CA
Good "Fast"
Bad "Disconnects often"
Overall "Unreliable"

While my Comcast connection may be fast it disconnects very often. For about a year it disconnected several times a week and in the past six months it has gotten worse; at one point I was being disconnected at least once an hour. I would also go from having 3 upstream channels to 1 after a disconnection. My problem is a very noisy upstream signal, it’s nearly always at 57dbmv. After about four phone calls to Comcast support (it took four calls because they kept disconnecting me, I should have figured) someone made a simple adjustment that seemed to fix everything, temporarily. Since that phone call I have only one 1 upstream channel and I get shorter disconnections, but they still occur, just not as frequently. Download and upload speeds have remained unchanged, but they’re both pretty useless when you have to start a download or upload over again. I’m currently submitting this over my phone because my Comcast connection is down once again.

member for 10.2 years, 2998 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by u475700 See Profile

• Location: Danbury,Fairfield,CT
Good "Internet service is usually fast"
Bad "Customer Service and technical support leaves much to be desired, pricey"
Overall "Evaluate alternative providers before choosing Comcast!"

·Callcentric
Update 08/14/14
My service has been less reliable during the last three few years while customer service is worse than I previously noted. Billing issues such as bogus charges for modem rental are not only time consuming but also frustrating to resolve.

Update 10/31/11

I find it difficult to believe that a major company like Comcast still has such poor service. Customer Service is always full of excuses. Several months ago my Internet connection was severed by a "Comcast" installer while adding service for my neighbor across the street. Customer Service claimed this wasn't Comcast's fault because the installer was actually a contractor for another company even though his truck had Comcast logos. That took three days for them to reconnect me.

The controller on the pole behind my house failed last month. Despite claims that a repair crew was already working on it, nobody showed up for almost eleven hours. The technician who finally arrived claimed that he'd just been dispatched by his depot. He mentioned that unscheduled service calls are prioritized and dispatched based on the number of calls they receive for an incident.

Service outages during inclement weather have been more frequent during the last few years. I don't know if that's because the infrastructure is just aging or it isn't maintained properly. Nevertheless, power outages are infrequent compared to Comcast outages.

I notice there are often unscheduled outages early Monday morning from forty minutes to a couple of hours in duration. Customer Service once suggested that might be the result of car accidents with utility poles because these drivers were rushing to work (at 1:00 AM in the morning?).

Their chat function is not very productive. Despite long waits, telephone calls for service are still the better option.

member for 10.6 years, 4980 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by phillychuck See Profile

• Location: Hatfield,Montgomery,PA
Good "Great speed, that's about all"
Bad "Comcast business practice, forced bundles to 'save' money. Caps are not realistic for digital family."
Overall "If they didn't offer me a promotion, I couldn't afford decent speeds."

Not happy with Comcast. Forced horrible packages, no decent prices on single services. Would avoid if there were any competition in my area.

Comments:

Review by ArrayList See Profile

• Location: Evanston,Cook,IL
Good "reliable"
Bad "expensive, do not get speeds advertised"

·RCN CABLE
I signed up for the 105 blast plus promo for $60/month for 12 months, but I've never received the speeds that were advertised. They claim that the offer never existed. I would make a bigger deal about it, but I am moving in a few weeks and will be cancelling my service at that time. The 250gb data cap is suspended for the time being and I am using my service to the fullest of it's potential while I can.

If there is anything Comcast needs to work on it would be their marketing sucks. They advertised one thing and I never got it. I got some other package and they refuse to let me have the package I signed up for at the price advertised.

member for 9.5 years, 2342 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
JohnShade

Extreme 105

One of the issues that I have seen is that customers are not educated about the hardware requirements to actually get 105 reliably. hardwired only-Cat 6 ethernet (not Cat 5) and a gigabyte ethernet card. Most on-board ethernet cards are 10/100's

ArrayList
netbus developer
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
·RCN CABLE

Re: Extreme 105

No, I can get 105 easily over wireless with my access point(RT-N66U). The only thing holding me back is Comcast.

here is a speed test.
»www.speedtest.net/result/3666492067.png

my signal levels are fine also.

and no, most on-board Ethernet cards are not 10/100. Gigabit has been the standard in personal computers for the last 3+ years.
A sane approach to our federal budget: Ignore the tea party

Re: Extreme 105

Log in over at the Comcast Direct Forum. The people there are Comcast Corporate Engineering/Technical, look up Netdog

ArrayList
netbus developer
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA

Re: Extreme 105

Like I said, I'm moving very soon. Not going to bother with it.
A sane approach to our federal budget: Ignore the tea party
T4K

join:2002-03-13
Fort Lauderdale, FL
You forgot to note CAT 5e delivers Gigabit speeds also.

Pearland, TX

Thanks for the feed back. I'm fairly old school and haven't dealt with high speed networking for awhile.

Review by scaredpoet See Profile

• Location: Monmouth Junction,Middlesex,NJ
Good "The speed is great, reliability is much improved"
Bad "Expensive, and the only game in town. Customer Service clueless."
Overall "Comcast lacks real competition where I live. They know this and will take advantage of it."

After a long time of suffering on DSL, I've gone back to Comcast. Their speeds have leapfrogged dramatically over what Verizon will offer me, which still hasn't made FiOS available to where I live, though residents quite literally across the street can sign up for it if they wish. So, when faced with a choice between 5Mbps DSL, and up to 100Mbps+ speeds if I want it over cable, there's unfortunately not really much of a choice to make.

I'm on Blast, the 100Mbps tier now (recently upgraded from 50Mbps). All told I'm paying $132 a month, including TV package, on a double play. I've purchased my own modem: a Motorola SBG6580. Speeds are consistently as advertised, often slightly higher.

Comcast's reliability has greatly improved since I last reviewed them. The frequent ups and downs in the past was the primary reason why I switched to DSL in the first place. Now, the service stays up for months without issue. However, when there is a problem, expect Comcast customer service to be completely clueless. If it's not some node or network-wise issue that they're already aware of, then it's likely going to take a truck roll to figure out your issue.

The bitter pill to swallow though, is the cost. With Verizon basically not bothering to compete, there really isn't another viable choice anymore for broadband internet service. Comcast is fully aware, and so you're going to pay through the nose for their service, and get locked into multi year commitments if you want any sort of break on the pricing (which by the way, doesn't last the full term of the commitment). This obviously doesn't engender any fuzzy feelings from me. The only saving grace is that as of this writing, Comcast isn't enforcing any usage caps, so rest assured I am getting my money's worth, until they tell me otherwise.

Would I recommend Comcast? Well, they've been reliable as of late, and they generally keep their promise on advertised speed. But their pricing is so high that I can't in good conscience say they're great, or even very good, in terms of value for money.

Fortunately for Comcast, I don't really HAVE to recommend them... because unless you're in one of those lucky, small enclaves where FiOS exists, you likely don't have any other choice.

Comments:

Review by rmoonin See Profile

• Location: Trenton,Mercer,NJ
Good "Zero"
Bad "The worst service that a business can have"
Overall "Avoid Comcast at all costs if you have a business"

·Cox HSI
We have had nothing but headaches and a horrible experience with Comcast in our office. We have a VOIP phone system leased from them. Our accounting firm has lost service repeatedly during tax season. A letter to the executive offices was not responded to for three weeks. I back charged our last charge with American

Express today. Maybe it will get them to react. Having dealt with Century Link, Verizon FIOS, Covad and others I can confirm that Comcast is a horrible company to deal with. My big mistake was to leave FIOS which was incredibly reliable for Comcast. My attorney says that I can sue them for loss of service but we has time to go through the mess of a lawsuit. I will bring back FIOS one day after the contract ends in December. If you are thinking about using Comcast in your business think again. Forget the national advertising. This cable company is one to avoid at all costs.

I still continue to have problems with Comcast. For a commercial account you would think they would make some kind of effort to contact me. Amex is doing the best they can with this company. Who has the time to sue them and they know it. I am writing a comment in the one of the national CPA magazines and perhaps that will get them to respond. Their business practice is just to ignore all calls and letters. If you are a smart business person you will avoid dealing with Comcast. Once they merge with Time Warner they will be impossible to deal with. Go with FIOS if it is available. Dealing with Verizon is better.

They only responded and sent out when I told them I was bringing in the NY Times for an interview. I do not have time to sue them but the contract will be finished in 6 months and they will be replaced by FIOS. As a commercial account we are not used to being treated by a schlock company like Comcast. Competition is good. I have told my clients to stay away from Comcast. They should have replaced the old lines with fiber but are spending billions on acquiring Time Warner.

I have had worthless Comcast for our accounting business for about 18 months and will cancel them with certainty. The stress and aggravation they caused me will never happen again. After I backcharged them they just rebilled our Amex. I am trying to run a business and do not have the tine to deal with the flunkies that run their commercial telephone and internet services business. I just tell our clients to deal with anyone else and avoid dealing with them. They could care less. My lawyer tells me it is not worth suing them as will just go into arbitration. I was a professional arbitrator myself for many years. Who has time to deal with some shlocky company. Just remember what I said. Avoid dealing with Comcast commercial services for anything.

Comments:
tdumaine
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

Heh

The chargeback will result in disconnection and an etf. If you have enough to go to court, do it. >That will get their attention.

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

Re: Heh

Comcast has to honor AMEX, if they dont amex can break it agreement with comcast . IF comcast were smart , which they arent they would offer this customer, 2 free months service. But comcast doesnt care.

Furrever Fur
join:2012-02-20
united state
·Vonage

Good luck

Good luck taking Comcast to court (seriously) ! Are you sure there isn't that hidden, wonderful "binding arbitration" clause in your business account agreement?

Love your AMEX chargeback, but be prepared for disconnection for an unpaid bill regardless of how warranted it is. You might consider filing an FTC complaint.
Good luck and hope you prevail against "Kabletown".
dubenezic

join:2004-05-06
Jersey City, NJ

Re: Good luck

I sued Comcast 2 years ago. They never showed up in court then called to threaten that if I didn't agree to an adjournment they would file a motion to vacate the judgment that I received because of their no show. The Judge denied their motion and they had to cut me a check for 3k, which is what I sued them for.

Saying good luck sarcastically (which is what it looked like to me) implies that no one can ever win.

Furrever Fur
join:2012-02-20
united state

Re: Good luck

Oh dear; my "good luck" was merely that -- saying Good Luck; no sarcasm intended.

Impressive that you were able to sue as - last I knew - Comcast has a binding arbitration clause unless one has specifically opted out.
rmoonin

join:2000-08-05
Newtown, PA
·Cox HSI
I do not have time to sue them. Time is money. I could win based upon the outages we have had. Their attorneys handling these cases are usually youngsters right out of a third tier law school. Just avoid using Comcast for anything. You will be glad you listened to me. And never use them for any business service. Our Nevada office uses Cox and they are a pleasure to deal with and have far better pricing.
deadtired

join:2003-01-30
Hephzibah, GA

bad service

leave a post on there FaceBook page , I did and they called me back the same day and sent a tech out to fix my problems ,the same day ,in fact when they asked when I wanted them someone to come I said I would be home in a hr, TEch was there waiting on me when I got home , everything was working when he left , it took 4 hrs but this tech took his time and did a very good job