Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

Review by Dave S See Profile

• Location: Bethany,New Haven,CT
Good " None"
Bad "Does not perform even close to what I was promised"
Overall "If you have another choice, take it"

I have had Comcast business class internet now for 2 months. Being in business myself I always understand with new comes glitches. However, we purchased this internet line to email possible clients and we have had nothing but problems from day 1. The sales man I had Greg F. was great about telling me this is exactly what I needed. I sent him a copy of the email we send and asked him to verify that we would have no problems. Every day and half we are marked as sending spam. I have had more conversations with the "Security Assurance Team" in 2 months than I do with my wife. The end result is always the same. That it is an end user issue and I have paid an IT professional to verify that it is not an end user problem. It boils down to this. They gave me a static IP with two of the IP's being dirty and they have a history before we had them of spamming every day. So we start out with a very low global sending score. Then trying to get them to change the IP's is like trying to get something through congress. They are awful and have cost my company thousands in lost revenue. If you have another choice use it. At the very least make sure to get a good IP and you will need to verify that. DO not trust their word. This has also been verified by their third party spam monitor, Cloud Mark in California, that the ip's are the problem. I had to pay a professional to find this out, it never came from Comcast. VERY VERY frustrated and disappointed.

Comments:
Eric28001

join:2012-03-14
North Dartmouth, MA

IP's

Getting IP's should not be hard to do at all actually and i have done it in the past easily with comcast no problem and come to find out it was the firewall that was causing the issues and not the IP.

Could have been a lot worse and you could have been having signal issues, the fact that it was only an IP issue is a good thing.

Review by rmoonin See Profile

• Location: Trenton,Mercer,NJ
Good "Zero"
Bad "The worst service that a business can have"
Overall "Avoid Comcast at all costs if you have a business"

·Cox HSI
We have had nothing but headaches and a horrible experience with Comcast in our office. We have a VOIP phone system leased from them. Our accounting firm has lost service repeatedly during tax season. A letter to the executive offices was not responded to for three weeks. I back charged our last charge with American

Express today. Maybe it will get them to react. Having dealt with Century Link, Verizon FIOS, Covad and others I can confirm that Comcast is a horrible company to deal with. My big mistake was to leave FIOS which was incredibly reliable for Comcast. My attorney says that I can sue them for loss of service but we has time to go through the mess of a lawsuit. I will bring back FIOS one day after the contract ends in December. If you are thinking about using Comcast in your business think again. Forget the national advertising. This cable company is one to avoid at all costs.

I still continue to have problems with Comcast. For a commercial account you would think they would make some kind of effort to contact me. Amex is doing the best they can with this company. Who has the time to sue them and they know it. I am writing a comment in the one of the national CPA magazines and perhaps that will get them to respond. Their business practice is just to ignore all calls and letters. If you are a smart business person you will avoid dealing with Comcast. Once they merge with Time Warner they will be impossible to deal with. Go with FIOS if it is available. Dealing with Verizon is better.

They only responded and sent out when I told them I was bringing in the NY Times for an interview. I do not have time to sue them but the contract will be finished in 6 months and they will be replaced by FIOS. As a commercial account we are not used to being treated by a schlock company like Comcast. Competition is good. I have told my clients to stay away from Comcast. They should have replaced the old lines with fiber but are spending billions on acquiring Time Warner.

I have had worthless Comcast for our accounting business for about 18 months and will cancel them with certainty. The stress and aggravation they caused me will never happen again. After I backcharged them they just rebilled our Amex. I am trying to run a business and do not have the tine to deal with the flunkies that run their commercial telephone and internet services business. I just tell our clients to deal with anyone else and avoid dealing with them. They could care less. My lawyer tells me it is not worth suing them as will just go into arbitration. I was a professional arbitrator myself for many years. Who has time to deal with some shlocky company. Just remember what I said. Avoid dealing with Comcast commercial services for anything.

I finally got rid of Comcast for phone and internet. Comcast plays dirty and tough. It cost me a few hundred dollars in cancellation fees but I am glad that I replaced them with Verizon's FIOS. Far faster speeds and much more reliable. We brought in a consultant who rewired everything and helped us port our number away from Comcast. I have told our clients to go elsewhere and that Comcast was impossible to deal with. We were promised and paid for commercial internet service and the consultant showed me that we were set up for residential service. Not worth wasting time pursuing any legal action with them. The big joke is that I keep getting mail and calls from them looking for us to get internet or telephone or television service from them. If you are smart you will go elsewhere. Life is too short to have to deal with Comcast.

Comments:
tdumaine
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

Heh

The chargeback will result in disconnection and an etf. If you have enough to go to court, do it. >That will get their attention.

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

Re: Heh

Comcast has to honor AMEX, if they dont amex can break it agreement with comcast . IF comcast were smart , which they arent they would offer this customer, 2 free months service. But comcast doesnt care.

Good luck

Good luck taking Comcast to court (seriously) ! Are you sure there isn't that hidden, wonderful "binding arbitration" clause in your business account agreement?

Love your AMEX chargeback, but be prepared for disconnection for an unpaid bill regardless of how warranted it is. You might consider filing an FTC complaint.
Good luck and hope you prevail against "Kabletown".
dubenezic

join:2004-05-06
Jersey City, NJ

Re: Good luck

I sued Comcast 2 years ago. They never showed up in court then called to threaten that if I didn't agree to an adjournment they would file a motion to vacate the judgment that I received because of their no show. The Judge denied their motion and they had to cut me a check for 3k, which is what I sued them for.

Saying good luck sarcastically (which is what it looked like to me) implies that no one can ever win.

Re: Good luck

Oh dear; my "good luck" was merely that -- saying Good Luck; no sarcasm intended.

Impressive that you were able to sue as - last I knew - Comcast has a binding arbitration clause unless one has specifically opted out.
rmoonin

join:2000-08-05
Newtown, PA
·Cox HSI
I do not have time to sue them. Time is money. I could win based upon the outages we have had. Their attorneys handling these cases are usually youngsters right out of a third tier law school. Just avoid using Comcast for anything. You will be glad you listened to me. And never use them for any business service. Our Nevada office uses Cox and they are a pleasure to deal with and have far better pricing.
deadtired

join:2003-01-30
Hephzibah, GA

bad service

leave a post on there FaceBook page , I did and they called me back the same day and sent a tech out to fix my problems ,the same day ,in fact when they asked when I wanted them someone to come I said I would be home in a hr, TEch was there waiting on me when I got home , everything was working when he left , it took 4 hrs but this tech took his time and did a very good job

Review by PrymeMover See Profile

• Location: Olathe,Johnson,KS
Good "Excellent installer, quick turnaround, weekends available"
Bad "Mediocre routing, installation follow-up, devices and firmware"
Overall "Acceptable speeds, high price, abysmal follow-up"

·Consolidated Com..
I recently moved from one KC suburb to another, and crossed a boundary between TWC and Comcast service areas. I had 100/5 service with TWC, and subscribed to 105/20 with Comcast. First impression...I have to say that speeds were more consistent with TWC - more sites, and more speedtests, would show me at or near my line's provisioned capacity. Comcast's routing, at least in this area, seems to be less optimal--I can still get my rated speeds using (one) of Comcast's speedtest sites, but most others are far lower than they were, relatively speaking, to TWC. The upstream is consistently faster; however, the (presumed) routing situation impacts it as well.

TWC was also cheaper - $80 vs $115 with Comcast. This is an area soon to be built out with Google Fiber (1000/1000 for $70), so it's somewhat surprising that they aren't trying to build customer loyalty ahead of time. If they were to double the downstream, I'd be happier paying the premium over my prior provider. I don't really need it (or even 105 for that matter), but I want it anyway.

Comcast also charges an absolutely ridiculous $250 installation fee for the 105/20 package--and that package only. I honestly don't know how they can justify this. TWC upgraded me from 15/2 to 50/5 to 100/5 without any spurious fees or home visits, so I have to wonder if Comcast is using it as a disincentive to prevent too many subscribers on a node.

The installer was on-time, professional, and did a superb job. He even ran a new line to the utility easement (at least I got something out of that $250 fee I guess?) based on the visual condition of the existing lines. He assured me that the burial of the run would be handled without intervention from me, so I let it go. However, a month later, the line had yet to be buried. In the meantime, both Dish and AT&T have installed services and completed their cable burials.

I finally contacted Comcast a couple weeks back and got a (new?) date set for the burial...which was missed. I called back and was told that I would have a response for the missed appointment and a new date within 24 hours...which didn't happen. I'm now over 6 weeks with a line running through the back yard. Annoying.

***Update: Comcast called the day after I initially posted this review and finally completed the cable burial. Glad it finally got done, but it should not have taken 6+ weeks and repeated calls.

My experience with multiple cable providers at multiple locations has engendered a fundamental distrust of cable service in terms of reliability. Accordingly, I have a backup AT&T U-Verse internet circuit as well, which has already had to be used more than once. It's slower, but it's also cheaper and more reliable.

***Update Oct 2014: Earlier this year, in what I can only assume was an attempt to preempt Google, Comcast started offering a pretty nice package - 250/25, plus an HD DVR and basic cable, for $70/mo. The term is 2 years, price guarantee for 3 years, with a new Comcast-supplied modem (no rental fee) and free installation. Though Google will likely be here before my term is complete, I signed up - why not? I'll deal with the ETF later.

The installation itself, though long, was fine until I went to do a speed test. I was only getting 5mbps. I pointed this out to the technicians before they left, but they spouted something about it taking up to 24 hours for the speeds to increase - which I knew was BS, but it was already evening and they were itching to get out of there (and I was ready to be done). I don't remember the exact details of what I then did, but ultimately I called in (multiple times) and they scheduled a truck roll to solve an obvious provisioning issue (sigh). Before they arrived, I got a call telling me that I was getting the correct speeds. Turns out, Comcast had two $70 special promotions - one that included expanded cable and 5mbps, and one that had basic cable and 250mbps. After resolving that, and getting the DPC3939 modem into bridge mode (you CANNOT set it locally, it has to be set by a CSR), I was set.

Performance of the connection has been pretty good. I regularly test at right around 290/30mbps. It's not terribly reliable though...any power outage more than a flicker causes the connection to go down, despite the fact that everything on my end is on UPS gear capable of hours of runtime. Usually, it stays down for hours and hours after the power is restored, too. My backup AT&T connection, on the other hand, has had a grand total of 418 seconds of downtime in 306 days. That's 99.998% uptime.

A few months ago, and after having ran fine for months, the DPC3939 modem decides it's going to start rebooting every 5 minutes. It's an exceptionally long and frustrating story, but the shortened version is that the modem has known issues in bridge mode (no idea why it suddenly started doing that after running fine for 4+ months). I tried to use a different modem, but Comcast has no config file for any modem other than the DPC3939 for that speed tier. So, I lived with double NAT for 6-8 weeks by using my slower AT&T connection for things it broke. It took that long before I had the energy to call Comcast again. I spoke to an agent that was, in a word, exceptional. After confirming that the bridge issue was supposedly resolved, we tried it...and no luck, it started rebooting again. We tried a few more things, each time the agent waiting to make sure the line was stable, before happening upon the sequence that worked--to manually disable wireless before setting bridge mode. This agent was truly exceptional, spending well over an hour on the phone and not hanging up until the problem was definitively solved, including waiting for 10 minutes to confirm it was stable. I wish this were the norm instead of the exception.

*** Update Dec 2014: I woke up the other day to Comcast being down, yet again. Review of the logs showed it has been down for hours, corresponding to a reboot of the cable modem. Modem would not issue an IP to my router. Try a manual power cycle, no change. I performed a factory reset, and got an RFC1918 address (it wipes out bridge mode). It was then that I saw the modem's interface now had a button to enable bridge mode without having to contact Comcast. After reviewing the forums, it appears that they rolled a firmware update that completely broke all customers that were previously in bridge mode with this modem. The good news is that I was able to flip it into bridge mode myself. It didn't work initially and required yet another manual power cycle, but the modem now issues a public IP. Add it to the miles-long list of things that Comcast sucks at. I swear, this piece of **** modem is the cause of at least a third of my frustration with Comcast.

member for 14.4 years, 3723 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by darthanubis See Profile

• Location: Richmond,Chesterfield,VA
Good "none"
Bad "Ignorant customer support. Uniformed, lazy, unprofessional techs."
Overall "Choose anyone else. It boggles the mind how they monopolize the market."

Check the G+ reviews. You need read no more.

Comments:

Review by cliffwatts See Profile

• Location: Longmont,Boulder,CO
Overall "Tolerable but expensive. And no other reasonable alternative for me."

I think Comcast is buffering downloads to make sites pay them a fee. I think net neutrality is the only way we can maintain some freedom. Contact evry congress person every day to support net neutrality.

Comments:

Review by FureverFurry See Profile

• Location: Grand Rapids,Kent,MI
Good "HSI excellent -- WHEN it works; TV overpriced"
Bad "Ever WORSENING is phone tech and billing support"
Overall "Hope you never need to CALL them for service"

·Vonage
Have been a Comcast HSI and TV subscriber/customer for over 20 years. How is it possible for "customer service" to degrade so rapidly and so much? And absolutely NO accountability.

HSI is good -- WHEN it works. If your modem is defective, good luck getting it replaced. They won't do it most of the time. Techs that come to the home are a mixed bag; some get into diagnosing a problem. MOST, however, just look at their little meter, say "everything is okay here" and refuse to escalate something -- such as with a line problem further up.

Oh - and no more receipts for returned equipment. Big problem if Comcast decides you still have equipment ...!
UPDATE:
It is becoming nearly impossible to connect with a phone agent without long delays (over 40 mins+ to hours) and "accidental" disconnects (e.g. hang-ups). Agents appear to be outsourced and try to upsell "signature support" -- that is IF one can get through. Quality of service has severely gone down rapidly since Comcast acquired NBC Universal (or so it seems).

TV: Overpriced IMHO.
HSI: Great as long as you don't need support.

Comcast needs to wake up, hire and train telephone CSRs (whom they call "executives", lol) and remember: it is the CUSTOMER who pays the cable bill that allows Comcast to pay their employees.

------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: 25 January 2014
Going on the fourth (4th) complete outage of both HSI and cable TV since Dec 22, 2013: Dec 22 (several hours); Dec 23 (several hours); Dec 26 (several hours) and now January 3rd with HSI out for over 12 hours and cable TV still out. Automated telephone attendant indicates it is a "technical issue affecting your services" ... same as the last 3 times.

The "verification" bit over the telephone has actually gotten WORSE. The CAEs have claimed that (a) my phone number for the account is "not right"; that my account number doesn't match -- yada, yada. Pretty scary stuff, considering identity theft. I had to call Comcast Security Assurance after not validating.
Also, hold times of 45 minutes or greater only to be connected with people who's language isn't even close to understanding English. They don't appear to be trained well as far as their products and troubleshooting other than the requisite "...uhhhhh, let me send a refresh signal ...".

In short: STILL overpriced but beats the so-called competition which - for me - is only Da Phone Company.

UPDATE: December 2014
Oh my: this summer they not only inexplicably locked me out of my account, Comcast also "disassociated" all but 1 of my secondary email accounts. I had not called Comcast in months. Trouble tickets issued and "closed" without the issue being resolved; 75+ phone calls (no joke); emails to their ESL department -- all futile. It took a complaint via a public advocacy group to get the issue resolved. But the best part .... ? For 3 weeks AFTER the issue being resolved, Comcast continued to call to state they were still working on "...your open ticket numbers xxxxxx".

My package is Blast 50/10 with Digital Preferred TV. Internet is generally reliable, but the TV programming is overpriced IMO.

Calling for support: fun, fun, fun. NOT ! My street ends in Avenue and truncated as "Ave". Unless I remember to say "Avvvvv" on validation, the CAEs tell me it is "not correct" and hang up. Good grief !!! The Retentions Department is still very good for offering short-term promotions and is their only shining light.

I'm rather hoping the merger goes though as "Greatland Communications" HAS to be better than this. And no, I don't want Da Phone Company for TV/internet.

member for 3.1 years, 615 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

FureverFurry

UPDATE: 3 January 2014

The phone support has NOT improved: still hold times of 45 minutes or greater only to be connected with people who's language isn't even close to understanding English. They don't appear to be trained well as far as their products and troubleshooting other than the requisite "...uhhhhh, let me send a refresh signal ...".

Gibby

@comcast.net

Comcast

Have to keep dropping service speed to prevent rate increase. They raised my internet rate $40 per month. In order to drop that increase down to just $10 more per month than I was currently paying, I had to drop from 25 mbps to 7 mbps. Only getting mbps though.
Why are they such a dishonest, miserable company?
Already dumped them for phone and TV. Guess I'll dump them completely and get a Jetpack or go with Century Link.
totalradio

join:2007-09-15

1 recommendation

Its quite apparent...

Comcast is like a lot of other "broadband" providers (if you can really call them that). They've adopted the mantra "we're the cable company, we don't have to care".

They know they have you, so they don't care.

I feel your pain !

Review by DaveDude See Profile

• Location: New Jersey
Good "not much , its way overpriced"
Bad "Customer support is none exisitant. "
Overall "Get fios or uverse. They just dont care. "

This year has be the worse , Comcast doesnt care if your service is down. They just blame it on you. 4 trips and 2 techs to fix 2 boxes and 2 tivo out , the day they went to full encryption. No offers for compensation. They are worse then bell in the 80s . they just dont care about you as a customer, if fios was available i would just switch.

member for 15.6 years, 4737 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by raythompsontn See Profile

• Location: Oliver Springs,Roane,TN
Good "Package deal is not too bad for phone, internet and cable"
Bad "Too many deals for new customers, nothing for existing."
Overall "The only choice I have for high speed internet so what can I say."

I don't like special deals for new customers when there is little effort to keep existing customers. Which is more important, continued support of existing customers or new customers which may not stay?

Tech support which required a home visit on the last couple of calls was puzzling. Each rearranged the splitters saying whomever did the connections did them wrong. Apparently each tech has their own opinion.

Purchased my own data modem to eliminate the modem rental charge only to find that I had been misinformed by the local office. I still get charged for a voice modem. Shouldn't the voice modem be part of the phone service?

Not much has changed in three years. Speeds have gotten better, customer support for problems still consists of "unplug your modem for two minutes."

Upgraded to the X1 system. Every few days the secondary box will hang and be non-responsive to the remote. Only solution is to power cycle the box. The satellite boxes are slow in responding to the remote. Really don't like that the boxes become completely non-functional if some server for Comcast goes down. Cannot change channels or watched stored content. That is a really bad design.

member for 14.2 years, 3600 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ccastSucks

join:2014-12-05
Hephzibah, GA

If the comcast/twc

merger goes thru the consumer will lose any hope of fair rates and competition. I live in a semi-rural area and I would have to pay $30 more for what they pay less then 25 miles away. WE NEED MORE COMP NOT LESS!!

Review by null_bin See Profile

• Location: Grand Rapids,Kent,MI
Good "Connection reliability has been very good"
Bad "Customers service impossibly bad. Download and upload speeds keep changing."
Overall "I wish Google fiber would come to town."

I have the Blast service. 105 Mbps down, and 20 up. »www.comcast.com/internet ··· ice.html shows an "Extreme 150" service, which in the past I would have been automatically ungraded to. 7 calls to Comcast, of which 5 did not speak enough English to get started, one to "Sales," one to someone in India, produced no help at all. The woman in India did say I have the "Extreme 150" service, and had a tech sent out. The tech swapped modems, for a different brand, with the result that I not only have no higher speed, but seem to have lost IPv6 compatibility. Three days ago the 20 Mbps upload speed dropped to 10 Mbps, and is still there. For a month I had the 150 Mbps rate - using speedtest.comcast.net for testing - but then it went away. Apparently someone is constantly testing speeds and other issues. So while the connection itself is reliable, I don't know from day to day what data rates I'll have. Oh yes, I continue to pay for 105 Mbps down, and 20 Mbps up - that much is as dependable as the sun going down at night and coming up in the morning. I'm also told now that after the merger with TW, Comcast will dump the Great Lakes region, and we will get Charter instead. It never ends.

Comments:

Review by kgeoghe See Profile

• Location: New Haven,New Haven,CT
Good "Seemed good for first three months. Service seemed like a good value."
Bad "After three months started noticing significant performance loss."
Overall "If vast discrepancy between advertised and effective performance persist, I will discontinue service at contract's end."

Comcast XFINITY Performance cable Internet (25/5 Mbps) - $39.99/mo. for 12 mos. special.

Order and install very smooth.

Have recently experienced severe, consistent performance slowdowns after 3-4 mos. of use. I've been experiencing a consistent effective transfer speed that is 80% less than the advertised speed at all times of day, all days of week.