Review by null_bin See Profile

• Location: Grand Rapids,Kent,MI
Good "Connection reliability has been very good"
Bad "Customers service impossibly bad. Download and upload speeds keep changing."
Overall "I wish Google fiber would come to town."

I have the Blast service. 105 Mbps down, and 20 up. »www.comcast.com/internet-service ··· ice.html shows an "Extreme 150" service, which in the past I would have been automatically ungraded to. 7 calls to Comcast, of which 5 did not speak enough English to get started, one to "Sales," one to someone in India, produced no help at all. The woman in India did say I have the "Extreme 150" service, and had a tech sent out. The tech swapped modems, for a different brand, with the result that I not only have no higher speed, but seem to have lost IPv6 compatibility. Three days ago the 20 Mbps upload speed dropped to 10 Mbps, and is still there. For a month I had the 150 Mbps rate - using speedtest.comcast.net for testing - but then it went away. Apparently someone is constantly testing speeds and other issues. So while the connection itself is reliable, I don't know from day to day what data rates I'll have. Oh yes, I continue to pay for 105 Mbps down, and 20 Mbps up - that much is as dependable as the sun going down at night and coming up in the morning. I'm also told now that after the merger with TW, Comcast will dump the Great Lakes region, and we will get Charter instead. It never ends.

Comments:

Review by kgeoghe See Profile

• Location: New Haven,New Haven,CT
Good "Seemed good for first three months. Service seemed like a good value."
Bad "After three months started noticing significant performance loss."
Overall "If vast discrepancy between advertised and effective performance persist, I will discontinue service at contract's end."

Comcast XFINITY Performance cable Internet (25/5 Mbps) - $39.99/mo. for 12 mos. special.

Order and install very smooth.

Have recently experienced severe, consistent performance slowdowns after 3-4 mos. of use. I've been experiencing a consistent effective transfer speed that is 80% less than the advertised speed at all times of day, all days of week.

Comments:

Review by phantasm11b See Profile

• Location: Harpers Ferry,Jefferson,WV
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "They installed it."
Bad "It's over priced."
Overall "Service is OK but not exceptional"

I moved into a newly built home and Comcast would not service it even though our neighbors had Comcast service. It took me over 3 weeks several tickets with their help desk before I gave up and emailed corporate. They finally rolled a truck to determine if they could service my house; they determined that they could. My install was set for 3 weeks from that date.

On install day the tech showed up on time and installed the new Xfinity cable box and a cable modem. This worked fine for a couple of weeks but then my internet went out and I had to have Comcast come back out. They replaced the modem and service was restored. This modem lasted for 2 months and then died. I opted to buy my own modem at Best Buy (Motorola SB6121).

The cable service is spotty. The box needs to be rebooted every other day and it is slow as can be. I like the new menu and search options but the lack of reminders is a bummer. Not everyone wants a DVR.

All in all the service is OK. I'm a former Comcast employee and expected more from the company. However this time around I felt the burn that most consumers feel.

Comments:

Review by Rainman0069 See Profile

• Location: Indianapolis,Marion,IN
Good "Lot of Content and many options for viewing"
Bad "X1 Buggy OS, many reboots per day, Typical Cable HSI bandwidth Lies!"
Overall "Not worth the cost for half-a** service."

5 TV's, 105Mbps HSI, RG-6QS cable, 10/1000 Giganet, Cat 5E & Cat 6 network cable, Dual radio 802.11 *(2.4 & 5GB) N wireless.
House Construction, 2 story Wood frame, drywall, paper thin walls, 2ea *Cisco 802.11 N access points.

Installation:
Upgrade from old Comcast system to X1 Triple Play, with all bells and whistles. Xfinity TC8305C Modem, Xfinity XG1-P DVR Hub, Xfinity RGN-150N Boxes.

Had to assist the technicians with X1, not as versed as I in 802.11, or RF protocols. HSI.....Had to finish set up of modem myself. Tech unable to set-up local LAN He set up Modem, connected one computer, then threw his hands up...

Issues:
X1 operating system is very buggy. Screen freeze, random reboots, lock-ups and sluggish performance is a daily issue. Very irritating to have to reboot the Xfinity RNG-150N boxes several times a day (4ea). The Xfinity XG1-P Hub (DVR) not as bad but not great. Not as many reboots but looses DVR service several times a day. Picture Quality is not as good as DirecTV (Former Customer in FL)....Never Lost Picture, not even during Hurricane Charlie..2004!

Comcast HSI. If you want to use Internet after Midnight, its great, very fast and no streaming issues. However if you live the normal American lifestyle, the 105Mbps (Shared Cable Bandwidth) quickly morphs into overpriced Dial-up speed! During peak hours....Which seam to last from 3PM to around 11 or so at night. The best I have gotten for Up/Download speed was 29Mbps/123Mbps at 1:30 AM! During Peak hours, the best I have gotten was 17Mbps Up, 9Mbps Down...... Worst?..... Unable to connect to server!

Why did I leave DirecTV? Moved from FL. Comcast existing service at new residence. Not the primary Comcast subscriber at this address, so Im stuck with what subscriber wants.

Lastly, This is my experience, If you are a Comcast worshiper, Im sorry, but this is what we experience. I wish it worked! Deal with it.

Comments:
JohnShade

CHSI speeds

Is that a wireless connect speed? If hardwired, are you using Cat 6 all the way through from the modem to a gigabit ethernet card in the system? What do you get when you go to speedtest.comcast.net?
Rainman0069

join:2014-11-28
Indianapolis, IN

Re: CHSI speeds

Those speeds were from speedtest.comcast.net.
Yes, Cat 5e, 6 Gigabit hardware all throughout system. All hardwired equip is Gigabit T10/1000.
Wireless N 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz, for all wireless equip.
Wireless download speeds through speedtest.comcast.net run about 65-79Mbps off peak, around 9Mbps during peak.
These peak time results are the lower values, speeds are all over the place during peak.

Re: CHSI speeds

Sorry to take so long to reply. Things have been kinda busy. read this »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6 ··· _6_cable Cat 5e is NOT the same as Cat 6. You have to use Cat 6. If you use 5e, you still can bottleneck.

It has to be Cat 6 throughout

Review by jgalvin9 See Profile

• Location: Vero Beach,Indian River,FL
Bad "I hate Comcast. The connection sucks. It goes up and down, and there are outages all the time. Tech support has no clue!!!"

Comments:

Review by BlueC See Profile

• Location: Hopkins,Hennepin,MN
Good "Decent speeds compared to the ILEC provider"
Bad "Horrific internal coordination between sales and provisioning, rude tech support depending on who you get, it's a mess of staff"
Overall "Good lord..."

·Integra Telecom
The fact that Comcast Business sales never disclosed that you are required to lease their modem if you want to lease a static IP address, shows they have poor communication to start. Perhaps you can ask the sales rep for some sort of credit due to the miscommunication? Nope, they're done with you, have to call a different department to request that (after another department just told you to contact your sales rep for a credit request).

Once you do get their leased modem (did I mention it is $13/mo to lease?), pray it works appropriately from the start. Otherwise you will have to schedule another technician visit because they do not allow you to do a self-install, even with simply swapping out modems. Talk about efficiency.

Issues with the static IP? Be prepared to jump through hoops. Their support team will tell you one thing one day, and something different the next. There's no consistency. You have to cycle through tech support agents to request an escalation (if they even let you), and then pray it gets to the right person.

Latency isn't all that great for a business class service. If only there was better coverage with FTTB/FTTH providers, Fiber/Ethernet will always perform better than DOCSIS. No hassle dealing with unreliable DOCSIS modems.

What a mess.

member for 5.2 years, 1412 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by yopoman See Profile

• Location: Hollywood,Broward,FL
Good "I do get a connection most of the time"
Bad "I am paying for 50 Mbps down, I get 1-2 Mbps down on a good day. "
Overall "Comcast is throttling me and capping me despite their contract terms. "

I am paying for Comcast "BLAST" 50 Mbps down internet. I use my own router (Linksys E3200) and modem (Motorola SB6121 DCS3.0). I am paying for 50 Mbps down, I get 1-2 Mbps down on a good day. I have called Comcast customer service 20 times in the past 3 months to try and get my speed unthrottled, or at least to 50% of advertised, they always say "it's fixed, it should work now" and it never gets above 8 Mbps. It is usually below 2 Mbps down, which is pathetic and frustrating. If you can avoid this ISP, I recommend it. Comcast is terrible and their "tech support" doesn't even understand their own services, technology, plans OR policies. Terrible.

Comments:
RobotNixon

join:2014-11-08
Highland, MD

same problem

I'm having the same problem with the same package and have been having it for months, called for my 10th time today. When I called last and said the words "you are throttling my upload", it magically got fixed the next day and was good for less than a week. Funniest thing is I'm in Maryland.
saratoga66

join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA

No Throttling

Comcast is NOT throttling you. You either have a provisioning issue or line/signal issues that need to be addressed. I suggest you post over the Comcast help forums at this site so the members can help diagnose your problems.

ccsucks

@75.151.40.x

Re: No Throttling

they also block port 25 only to admit it years later. Comcast is an Extortionist! They double dip and blackmail. Ask Youtube! We are paying for bandwidth and there is no way we are getting it. They hide and lie. Pass Net Neutrality!

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19

My Service

You need a technician visit.

Cumcast

@73.171.248.x

Re: My Service

Not bad if you have 50 meg service but if not this sucks. I think you are the one that needs the tech visits from a doctor.
said by tigerpaw509:

You need a technician visit.

Review by RobotNixon See Profile

• Location: Highland,Howard,MD
Good "When it is actually working, it runs very fast."
Bad "Pretty sure my upload gets throttled to the point where i cant use VOIP"
Overall "If you like doing things besides browsing facebook, stay clear"

So I went from living at my own place with FiOS in College Park (with no issues) to living with my parents until I find a job in August. They have comcast, when I first moved in there was serious upstream issues with no download issues. So I called on behalf of my parents (they don't notice the 90% packet loss because they dont use upload all that much), and after talking to five different people who instead of listening to my issue just reset the router over and over, Finally got an appointment schedules for a technician to come out a week later. He came out, replaced the modem but the problem persisted. So i call comcast again, get patronized by another 5 drones who restart my modem and tell me to clear my cookies and finally talk to a networking person who actually knows what they are talking about. I told him my speed test results (17ms ping, 85mpbs download and a times out upload), he sent a maintenance because apparently there was noise on the upstream line. In all, by the time the issue was resolved and the line was fixed it took two weeks of not being able to use VOIP, play any games, use skype or anything requiring upload. Now, several months later it is happening again and even with the confirmation numbers of my previous visits, no one in their support can find a record of me having an issue. I called them 4 hours ago with 50% packet loss up, and threatened to cancel service and go to FiOS, and now my upstream connection is working just fine. That shows me they are probably throttling upload speeds. I strongly recommend choosing another ISP over comcast, Worst customer service and reliability I have ever experienced.

Comments:

Review by nathill See Profile

• Location: Bloomington,Monroe,IN
Good "Service has been reliable for years"
Bad "FINALLY answered their phone, problem solved (I think)"
Overall "Nothing is easy at XFINITY"

UPDATE:

XFINITY decided to finally answer their phone.
Kendra did a magnificent job in straightening it all out.
Apparently, somebody had the idea to charge me for the Silicon Dust tuner (Cable Card) as a DVR.
She fixed the problem, and now we're good to go!

THANKS KENDRA!

Latest story now goes like this. Got my cable card (Silicon Dust) installed one year ago after hours wasted on the phone with Comcast "tech support." I have to admit that it has worked flawlessly ever since.

Now they want to charge me $17.45 for "additional outlet or DTA equipment." I thought cable cards were supposed to be free?

I am trying to figure out what the heck the new charge is for, but they refuse to answer the phone.
I have called XFINITY four times in the last half hour. They promise to call me back in a minute or two, which they do, then they immediately hang up on me.

I HATE $%^&* COMCAST. How can ANYBODY run a business like this?
And they want to merge and get bigger. HELP!

I am not normally a lunatic, but this company has driven me to the point of absolute rage.

Comments:
saratoga66

join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA

Which number are you calling?

Have you tried calling Comcast dedicated Cable Card activation number instead of regular customer service? If not you should easily be able to find the number with the help of Google.

If these cards are for Tivo's you can also call Tivo support and they will do a 3 way call between them, Comcast and you.

You might also have bad cards. I have activated cable cards an 2 different houses. The first time I decided to pick one up myself but never could get it to activate. I finally had Comcast come out and they had to replace the card. The second house I needed multiple cards so decided to skip the self install and have Comcast do it. The tech brought in a stack of cards and said he usually has to try a few cards to get a working one.
nathill

join:2004-05-03
Bloomington, IN

Re: Which number are you calling?

I will try to Google a direct number. My first two calls were to Customer Service, who incorrectly routed me over to video activation, then finally routed me to cable card activation. That took an hour. The cable card guy got it authenticate, but not activate.
I'll let you know how I get along. Sounds like good advice.........

Got through after a mere 18 minute wait. Got in touch with a really nice lady, and I THINK we're good to go.
total time invested almost two hours. How hard would it be for Comcast to have a phone system that gives you options instead of making you wade through person after person to end up where you need to be? Is it the consumer's job to find the direct number for cable card activation?
My original position still stands.
Comcast assigns NO value to my time.

I must admit, your advice was great. Should not have been necessary, but it was great.

Review by Myu See Profile

• Location: Denver,Adams,CO
Good "When it works it is fast."
Bad "Support is extremely poor. Connection stability is very poor, disconnects several times a day."
Overall "Starting to consider other options for internet."

Fast internet is one forth of what I care about. My biggest concern is stability. Comcast does not have that. The service will disconnect several times in the day. Then their customer service is trained to always say it is customer equipment. Then to further make things frustrating the support for Comcast, none of them know a damn thing about networking. It takes hours of being transferred over and over and lower levels of support trying to argue with you saying it is your equipment. Eventually getting escalated to someone who understands basic things like what a DHCP is and why it is relevant for connectivity and diagnosting the correct issue with the Comcast equipment to fix it.

My advice is whatever equipment you get, make sure it logs. You are going to need those logs to prove what is happening when you have issues. Without that Comcast will try to brush you off. Their support is not helpful at all in helping you troubleshoot and will just have you reboot and then say it is your fault whatever is happening is happening. Make sure you have a good grasp for networking and troubleshooting because you will get zero help and have to fight uphill.

Comments:

NoComcast

@24.60.171.x

Comcast/ Xfinity internet stability is horrendous

Xfinity/ Comcast has (at best) Inconsistent Customer Service, Technical Support, and Internet Connectivity. A helpful experience with them is truly the Exception, and not the rule.

My Connection is not working- as in, completely disconnected more than connected. When it is connected, it is very poor, and sometimes has bursts of speed to 6 mps- Now, understand here- usually there is nada. Zip, Zero. Also understand, that the subscription is for 100Mbps. Absolutely pathetic.
I get a consistent 2.5 from Verizon Wireless on 4G LTE that blows away Xfinity/ Comcast on Every level.

Furthermore- they lie. Flat out lie, overcharge, lie some more and then after you cancel, send you to collections for money you actually do not owe them. A class action suit will eventually come from all of this... just a matter of time. Bottom line- They are the worst ISP out there.