Review by chgocolt See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "It's available. TV doesn't go out too often."
Bad "Internet sucks. Not as fast as claimed. QOS is so bad that I had to give up my Voip service."
Overall "Only choose as a last resort. I'm almost ready to jump to DSL and Dish."

6mb down 1mb up + "Power boost" It rarely performs as advertised. My VOIP worked flawlessly on RCN until I moved here and had to get Comcast. QOS is so bad that I had to dump VOIP for POTS lines. Gave Comcast 1 year and 8 service calls to fix. They claim everything is within specs. Most their service guys don't know how to do anything other than cut off the coax plugs and replace them.

___ UPDATE 2014 ____

Ok. Foolish me came back to Comcast after 5 years with U-verse internet & DirecTV.

What they CLAIM they are giving me: ALL the TV channels to 3 HD TV's. (One with DVR that can be viewed on all), ALL channels, 2 - Digital Voice lines and "Extreme" internet (120mbps down, 20mbps up). Wireless Reouter has such bad range I had to buy a booster for it. for the 1st year promo cost of $149.94 + taxes.

What they delivered: The "X1" TV system that freezes up and needs to be rebooted for the 4th time in 3 months. Wildly unstable internet service. The data compression they use will give you false readings on speed test sites. I had faster file transfers with AT&T U-Verse. Digital Voice service that is so unstable that people are asking me to switch to my cell phone for a clearer call.

Customer service response, when you can actually get them, is the usual "reboot your modem/router", "reboot your X1 main DVR." Of course there was no change in the quality of service. Got them on a "chat" session and they claim to have made configuration changes to my router. The voice service is still bad.

It's going to be a VERY long 2 years until this contract is over and I can find a provider who will actual deliver acceptable service. Maybe Google Fiber will open up in Chicago by then.

Comments:
chgocolt
join:2004-07-10
Chicago, IL

Stupid me switched back to Comcast

Another move I regret. Took weeks for them to get my service moved. Almost lost my phone numbers in the port process. It took 3 attempts to get the port to complete.

The phone service itself is horrible. I have at least two to three times a day when the conversations are so garbled that you just give up.

The internet service is inconsistent. Some days I'll have 150mbps down and 20 mbps up. Other days like today, it freezes constantly. I watch my it stop and start every 5 seconds. (This is a WIRED connection to the Comcast router.) The wireless service from the router won't reach my kitchen. This is the only router I've ever had issues with here in 10 years.

Since installation in June, I have had 3 service outages. Nice when you're trying to work from home.

Customer service? Forget it. Endless circles of phone trees. If you're lucky enough to get a person, they transfer you back to the phone tree.

I got suckered in by a bargain price. The sour taste of the bad service will remain long after the sweet taste of a bargain has faded. I'm counting the days until my contract ends. Hopefully Google Fiber will be in Chicago by then!

Review by Immer See Profile

• Location: Grovetown,Columbia,GA
Good "The internet connection is reliable. HD Channels meet my needs."
Bad "Technical support, Customer service"
Overall "If they are the only option in town, there is no choice but to lower your expectaions of service beyond an internet connection."

9/17/2014: We paid an electrician to re-stub the house and the install was corrected after another visit from COMCAST. We've had intermittent problems during the day. Yesterday all signal disappeared from the house (cable and internet). After a day of my wife dealing with telephone customer service (to no avail) we are finished with COMCAST. At one point when my wife asked for a way to lodge a formal complaint regarding the customer service, the tech gave my wife a bogus phone number to call. We will be moving to AT&T U-Verse this week.

I built a new house and had to switch back to Comcast. Their new Xfinity modem/router is a nice upgrade since the last time I was a customer. Their new cable boxes are also a solid upgrade in most features (I do miss the instant "last channel" button. Now I have to use a menu). The connection is more reliable, but the speeds during the day don't match what was advertised or what we are paying for.

The local Comcast also chops up a great deal of local advertising. I don't pay for advertisement, so I don't know if the 5~8 seconds of commercials that are being played and then swapped to a different commercial are billed at full price. It is a very common occurrence, so buyers beware. This comment was part of my original review, and remains. I see at least one commercial chopped to only 5~10 seconds each day. Again, I don't pay for advertisement, and I don't know if someone is getting a free 5 seconds or cheated out of 25, but as a viewer it is annoying.

The installation team, the wire burial team, and the telephone customer service teams are completely out of sync and horrible to try to work with to get a repair, troubleshooting, or to think through a problem with. We had one very nice tech come to the house to install wire and an extra grounding wire, only to have the burial team (2nd visit) remove the grounding wire, shorten the coax line, and bury a line that was never grounded. The next install guy (3rd visit) cut the buried line, laid completely new coax and chose a completely different approach to grounding the connection. All of which has yet to be buried (will require 1 possibly 2 more visits) and the telephone customer service is utterly useless. They only "add notes to the ticket" and argue against you when you ask for a supervisor, even going so far as pretending none is around. After waiting on the line for 20-40 minutes, that implies extremely long coffee/bathroom breaks, or a refusal to serve the customer. My vote is for the latter. If there was ANYONE else in my neighborhood... fIOS, WoW, ATT, we'd switch.

member for 4.9 years, 1732 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
netwerp

join:2010-12-10
Evans, GA
·AT&T DSL Service

Comcast customer service

I know it's a pain, but try this and assert your position as a paying customer (you certainly pay enough!):

First, keep notes with date and time for each change. Write down the ID of the customer service person. Record the phone conversation if practical, but the notes are best. Note the times when you call, (you will be but on hold) the time when answered, the times when you are switched to another, (on hold again) each time you talk to a customer service person and when they put you on hold.

If there is resistance from the c.s. person, be assertive; it's better not to threaten. But if you feel you must threaten, let them know your options (and then follow through if necessary): you are recording all conversations (if so), you will report dissatisfaction to various agencies: (Grovetown if they control any franchise), County, State Attorney General, etc. You can also call their sales line and complain to them. Find a corporate link to the CEO, CFO, CTO; send him (them) email. Publish results here, facebook, twitter. Talk to or send email to state and national political representatives, senators.

Finally if you know someone personally who is empowered, tell them your dissatisfactions.

My experience with comcast: they don't pay attention to their online reporting system unless when it means they can charge you more money. I have filled out user requests to not phone me and not send me email when my kids push the bandwidth allocation over the limit. I don't care because the price is still competitive - until the bill reaches a certain limit and then I will research and consider my options.

It's not enough that comast is the largest ISP, they want to gobble up Time-Warner, too. Corporations tend to follow the morality of their founders, regardless of what they say. The founder of comcast is quoted as saying something to the effect that charging for cable TV is like taking candy from a baby. If that doesn't convince you then look up "Pournelle's Iron Law of Bureaucracy" (try Wikipedia).

Review by teddystacker See Profile

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
Good "Speed"
Bad "Price , Arrogance of the provider , number of outages"
Overall "Poor customer service , way over priced"

Even in 2009 the number of outages were Six for the year - Totally Unacceptable in this day and age and the main reason I would not even consider their "Digital voice" service.
Customer service as poor as ever.You cannot even call your local office to see if they have a DVR in stock , if you need to swap out a faulty one.You have to stand in line for 25 mins , only to be told they do not have one - crazy when you are paying these guys $150+ a month...

Price - when your paying more to Comcast than you do for your car payment each month , then you know its time to look for a change.

Comcast have had my business for many , many years now , but we are looking for a change , how much worse could Verizon actually be?.

Edit Dec 20212

I still dislike Comcast , but still no other decent ISP here in Philly , so I wait for FIOS , Comcast you are too Expensive and still way to many outages each year..

Edit 2014:

Still dislike Comcast with a passion , still waiting for FIOS - This company just gets bigger by the day , and their prices get higher and their service poorer. Do NOT signup for Comcast unless you really have to - be warned!

member for 13 years, 2069 visits, last login: 4 days ago

Comments:

VerizonisCra

@74.98.34.x

-1 recommendation

Verizon not any better

Six outages in a year, I would be thrilled!!! I have more than that in a day with Verizon. If the damn politicians really cared they would do something about this duopoly of high cost and low, low quality. But they don't because they are paid off by these scum companies. Fortunately I switch my TV from Comacast to Dish seven years ago and I've received nothing but good service (I've had to call for service du to a lightening strike and an outside connector that went bad after seven years). Now if I could only have such a choice for Internet and voice.

teddystacker

join:2001-12-08
Philadelphia, PA

Re: Verizon not any better

Update Oct 2014. Still very much dislike Comcast , All these years and their customer service is nothing short of BAD. and the prices keep increasing , still feel ripped off every month. IF you have a choice people, shop somewhere else..

Review by sanka See Profile

• Location: Spring,Montgomery,TX
Good "reliable"
Bad "Exorbidant"
Overall "top of the heap"

This is a followup to a review I posted a few years ago as SANKA. I was
prompted to review our ISP and VOIP after trying to run a SpeedTest. I now
have a MacMini and evidently no Flash no Java no speedtest. Who knew?

Hi, Vonage is a placeholder for my 25 yr old land-line phone number. The
phone rings occasionally and works fine for about $12/mo.
Comcast ISP had been providing 25up and 5down as advertised, with no
troubles for 3 yrs, until the past weekend; 6-7 Sep 2014, just a trickle of
internet and Mon it came back slowly and then went on a tear; 85down, 12up.
Presently we're back to 30/4. Comcast boosted download from 10 to 25 a yr
ago, but I had to add basic cable and paid an extra $10/mo. Ttl = $85 now
and the cable box isn't hooked up. I tried Uverse when we moved to Houston
from Detroit 3 yrs ago and it didn't work out, for whatever reason. We had
decent service from Comcast ISP for 8 yrs in Pontiac, Mi. They scare me,
but I don't think I have any better options. Do you? Have a good one.

Comments:

Review by camper See Profile

• Location: Bethel,Fairfield,CT
Good "HSI service is very good, albeit expensive"
Bad "customer service is really poor"
Overall "I always hope nothing goes wrong as customer service is more destructive than helpful"

I've had Comcast as my ISP for about nine years now, as TV provider since well before Comcast came to town (going back to the TelePrompTer days). I moved to Comcast HSI from DSL. I have the "25mbps Performance Service" along with Digital Starter Service for my TV. The $135 price includes both of those services. The HSI portion is $54. I own the modem and I did the modem install myself.

The HSI service had been excellently reliable (even the IPv6 /60 prefix delegation). I do run my own caching recursive DNS server, so I am not affected by Comcast's DNS issues.

My experiences with Customer Service have been very poor, with a rare (very rare) ray of sunshine when I happen to talk with someone who is more interested in helping me than closing a trouble ticket or upselling me.

I have had a representative just hang up on me. I have had email Customer Support conversations just stop, waiting for a Comcast resolution that never happens. I have gotten bad and/or incorrect technical information from Customer Support.

On the plus side, any time a tech has visited my house, that has always been a very positive experience. Comcast Danbury seems to employ very good customer-facing techs.

Overall, currently I would rate Comcast's ISP service as "very good, but expensive".

The comcast.com website is ridiculous. Very little it shows to me regarding upgrade options makes sense. Even though I tell the site I am a current customer, it shows me offers suitable only for new customers. Maybe Comcast is trying to tell me that they want me to leave them? I wish I knew....

[update: 2014-09-10 - various updates to fix typos and clarify what I said]

member for 4.7 years, 1742 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sdm1031 See Profile

• Location: Burlington,Burlington,NJ
Good "When it works it's great"
Bad "Overpriced. Slow internet. Indian call centers. Horrible tech support."
Overall "If it weren't for the fact they are borderline a monopoly and I have no other choice, I'd have left their asses many years ago."

I've been with Comcast since Comcast first came about. Way back in the day when cable modem technology was the new thing, I was on Garden State Cable in NJ and the cable provider was @Home if we can all remember those days. Comcast rolled into the area and bought everything up like most monopolies do. So by default I was with them since the beginning. In South Jersey there is no real option besides DirectTV and if you are lucky, FIOS through Verizon. I am no so lucky because that's only in certain towns / areas. If I had the ability to leave Comcast I would have many years ago. Their tech support staff is horrid. Back in the day you would at least get to speak to an American. Now it's blatantly obvious you are dealing with a call center in India. They are of no help at all. You get the normal run around about unplugging your modem, etc when we all know that's no solution. I've worked IT for many years and I can tell you right now, in my personal experience, the problems are generally from something they've done on their end. You sit on the phone for 30 mins while they run through their ordeal of unplugging and plugging in your modem. Hard resetting. All the things you know are not going to solve your problem only to have them schedule a tech to come to your house. That requires taking off work, and for what? A problem that was their fault all along. I'm mostly speaking about my most recent issues with them pushing firmware changes to my cable modem (purchased BY me mind you) and it breaking my connectivity. I could go on for days about my issues with Comcast's internet service. When it works, it's great. 20Mbit/sec is a decent speed but not for the price. These days, with Google, and people trying to compete with Google, the price is outlandish. I pay $170 a month and all I get is basic cable with some premium channels such as science, discovery, etc. I have two cable boxes and internet. That's an absurd price in my opinion but they know they can get it from me because there is no alternative where I live. I couldn't even get Direct TV if I wanted (not that I would) because I'm an apartment dweller and we are not allowed. So the monopoly that is Concastic steals that 170 a month off me knowing full well I have no real choice but to pay it. I could go on forever about how disappointed I am with Comcast, but would all the complaining really help? No. It's just a bunch of self serving venting while I sit here using my phone for internet service because my Comcast is down once again due to yet another firmware push by them. Thanks Comcast.

Comments:

Review by Chuck66 See Profile

• Location: Mount Royal,Gloucester,NJ
Good "Fast, Fast"
Bad "Comcast support is awful"
Overall "It's my only choise for boradband service"

·Callcentric
Had a ton of random disconnects and packet loss when we first moved in to this new development. Myself and another neighbor lead a development wide assault on Comcast support. It was determined that our node was saturated and they scheduled us to be put on out node. Suprised the work was completed quickly and we couldn't be more happier. Our service it pretty rock solid and fast

member for 10.6 years, 2061 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by IceCuban See Profile

• Location: Stockton,San Joaquin,CA
Good "Fast"
Bad "Disconnects often"
Overall "Unreliable"

While my Comcast connection may be fast it disconnects very often. For about a year it disconnected several times a week and in the past six months it has gotten worse; at one point I was being disconnected at least once an hour. I would also go from having 3 upstream channels to 1 after a disconnection. My problem is a very noisy upstream signal, it’s nearly always at 57dbmv. After about four phone calls to Comcast support (it took four calls because they kept disconnecting me, I should have figured) someone made a simple adjustment that seemed to fix everything, temporarily. Since that phone call I have only one 1 upstream channel and I get shorter disconnections, but they still occur, just not as frequently. Download and upload speeds have remained unchanged, but they’re both pretty useless when you have to start a download or upload over again. I’m currently submitting this over my phone because my Comcast connection is down once again.

member for 10.4 years, 3072 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by u475700 See Profile

• Location: Danbury,Fairfield,CT
Good "Internet service is usually fast"
Bad "Customer Service and technical support leaves much to be desired, pricey"
Overall "Evaluate alternative providers before choosing Comcast!"

·Callcentric
Update 08/14/14
My service has been less reliable during the last three few years while customer service is worse than I previously noted. Billing issues such as bogus charges for modem rental are not only time consuming but also frustrating to resolve.

Update 10/31/11

I find it difficult to believe that a major company like Comcast still has such poor service. Customer Service is always full of excuses. Several months ago my Internet connection was severed by a "Comcast" installer while adding service for my neighbor across the street. Customer Service claimed this wasn't Comcast's fault because the installer was actually a contractor for another company even though his truck had Comcast logos. That took three days for them to reconnect me.

The controller on the pole behind my house failed last month. Despite claims that a repair crew was already working on it, nobody showed up for almost eleven hours. The technician who finally arrived claimed that he'd just been dispatched by his depot. He mentioned that unscheduled service calls are prioritized and dispatched based on the number of calls they receive for an incident.

Service outages during inclement weather have been more frequent during the last few years. I don't know if that's because the infrastructure is just aging or it isn't maintained properly. Nevertheless, power outages are infrequent compared to Comcast outages.

I notice there are often unscheduled outages early Monday morning from forty minutes to a couple of hours in duration. Customer Service once suggested that might be the result of car accidents with utility poles because these drivers were rushing to work (at 1:00 AM in the morning?).

Their chat function is not very productive. Despite long waits, telephone calls for service are still the better option.

member for 10.8 years, 5068 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by phillychuck See Profile

• Location: Hatfield,Montgomery,PA
Good "Great speed, that's about all"
Bad "Comcast business practice, forced bundles to 'save' money. Caps are not realistic for digital family."
Overall "If they didn't offer me a promotion, I couldn't afford decent speeds."

Not happy with Comcast. Forced horrible packages, no decent prices on single services. Would avoid if there were any competition in my area.