Review by UGAJoe See Profile

• Location: Loganville,Walton,GA
Good "Great Product (X1 Platform in Atlanta Market)"
Bad "Horrible Customer Service/Installation"
Overall "If you can get it installed and WORKING, you won't beat it."

Ordering Process:

I was an existing double play customer. The website prompted me to upgrade my service to an X1 Triple Play. I chose the X1 Complete Package for $199. It is their highest priced triple-play package and includes the X1 DVR and service on up to 3 additional TVs. I went through the ordering process, picked my installation time, and finalized my order. I received an order confirmation which showed that I was going to receive free professional installation.

After I clicked submit on my order, the online ordering system said the order had to be reviewed and completed by an online representative. It connected me in a chat window. The representative quickly confirmed my order and told me that installation would be $100. I told him that I had an order confirmation showing free professional installation. I even offered to email it to him. He refused to honor the offer but told me that he would waive $40 of the installation fee. When I refused, he provided me with a number for "promotions" to call. The rep in promotions also refused to honor the deal but offered to waive $60.

I emailed the "We_can_help" email address and made a false advertising complaint. I forwarded a copy of my order showing free installation. The rep that responded finally honored the deal that I signed up for. He set up an installation time of 1-3 PM the following Saturday.

Installation:

As I said above, the installation time frame was 1-3 PM Saturday. At 3 PM, I received a call saying that the installation tech was delayed 30-50 minutes due to a problematic order. I was told he would arrive by 4 PM. At 3:30 PM, I received a call that stated no tech would be coming at all. They rescheduled for Sunday 1-3 PM.

On Sunday at 3 PM, there was still no sign of a technician and I didn't even get a courtesy call telling me there would be a delay. However, at 3:30 PM, a technician finally showed up to install. He profusely apologized and said he had come out of his area to pick up my job because they were so backed up on installations in my area.

It took him about two hours to install. He installed a professional looking "house box" on the side of my house. In the box, he installed an amplifier because he said my signal would be too low with four rooms hooked up. He also installed a filter that he said was required for X1 service. From there, he came inside and spent about two hours hooking up the new DVR and three receivers. He was polite and professional. More importantly, he didn't leave until the X1 boxes were all up and running.

Internet:

Internet speed advertised in the package is 105 Mbps. Unfortunately, I haven't received anything close. Most of my speed tests show 50 Mbps/10 Mbps. The latency is usually always less than 40 ms. It is commonly under 15 ms. This is no where close to the advertised speed but still almost ten times faster than available DSL speeds in my area.

Phone:

No complaints about phone service. You can't tell that it is VOIP. It works as well as a regular POTS line. Unfortunately, Comcast has declared that they are no longer providing a battery backup for their eMTA. This means that if the power goes out, we will lose phone service. However, with the phones that we currently use, the base requires power so it really isn't much of an issue.

Cable TV:

All I can say is WOW! The Graphical User Interface (GUI) on the X1 platform blows the old cable boxes out of the water. There is absolutely no comparison. It shows pictures of the movies you are about to watch. It shows you the rotten tomato ratings. It reminds me a lot of DirecTV's on-demand interface but a lot cleaner and less cluttered.

The built-in apps are cool but not sure if they are practical. However, the main DVR has built in Facebook, Instagram, Pandora, etc. All of the boxes have weather, traffic, horoscopes, and some other built-ins. Caller ID

It auto-tunes to HD channels if one is available for the channel you are watching. It is capable of up to 1080p resolution.

The DVR is MUCH smaller. The other boxes are roughly the same size at the last generation HD boxes so not much difference.

Parental controls are very user friendly. Select TV and movie ratings that you want to block and set a pin. You can have a purchase PIN to prevent unauthorized purchases. You can block specific ratings. You can also block adult titles from view.

The remote control is great. It is RF based instead of IR. Therefore, you don't even have to point the remote at the box and it works. It also seamlessly controls my TV volume, power, etc.

The only downsides we've found:

1. When the box disconnects, it takes a while to connect to the system. We have not had any random outages but I imagine if the power flickers we'll be off a few minutes before we regain service.

2. The guide occasionally drops out. Last night for about an hour, when we hit the guide button, nothing displayed. However, it came back on its own some time last night.

3. I tried to use the X1 app for my Ipad mini. It said we couldn't use it because we didn't have a cloud-based DVR in our market.

3/19/2014 UPDATE

Installation date was 3/16/14. By 3/18/14, one X1 receiver had already bit the dust. After several hours trying to get the problem fixed, they told me I needed a tech. The next tech appointment is 3/22/2014. So... After the ordeal of getting it installed, we lose service on one TV less than 48 hours later. They then are going to take four plus days to get it fixed.

Comments:
doliver1616

join:2011-05-20

Similar experience

It took 3 weeks after I switched from double play to triple play and I didn't even change the TV equipment. I have found that most of the customer service phone reps don't have a clue but the tech support phone folks are pretty good. I finally had to go to an Xfinity store to pick up a phone modem.

I'm about 50 miles from you and getting 120 mb on the same tier as you (direct cable from the modem to computer. If you are testing through a router that maybe causing the speed drop, mine did.
JohnShade

join:2009-03-07
Pearland, TX

Extreme 105

Speed guaranteed for hardwired over Ethernet cat 6 cable to a gigabit Ethernet card

Review by ebony716 See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Cobb,GA
Good "Friendly customer service"
Bad "Unreliable service"
Overall "Not recommended for work at home users."

I'm so angry I can't even describe it at length. Suffice it to say, I've experienced everything from throttled speeds to daily outages to currently 18 hrs without internet or phone. They tell me it's a system wide problem in my area. Apparently it's a problem they haven't been able to fix in months. Stay away if you live in the E. Cobb/Woodstock/Roswell area.

Update: Two weeks later, I've had outages at least twice each week. Just got through another one. I haven't heard any explanations about what's going on, and there aren't any comparable ISPs in my area. So basically I'm stuck with Comcast - they have a monopoly on this market.

Comments:

Illuminati

@172.56.26.x

Iwish Comcast become out of bussniss

Worst company ever i wish new companies appear to the market not honest and have a bater costumert service

Review by jackintosh11 See Profile

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
Good "I don't know, it... works sometimes?"
Bad "Horrible reliability, bad customer service, horrible value, not great services"
Overall "Only get it if you have no other choice"

I just ordered FiOS and am extremely glad. The speeds with Comcast are decent at best. They are very unreliable, and they give little credit for outages. They are also expensive, the TV interface is bad, and their CS reps are either in India, or are chosen out of the dumbest americans. One of them encouraged me to switch to Verizon. I had a modem from them from 2001 until 2011, and they refused to give me a new one. I had to buy a new one out of pocket. In the end, don't get it unless you have no other option.

Comments:
riffin1

join:2013-12-17
Saint Paul, MN

Wow

How do you even pay that much?
mist668

join:2011-02-15
Middleburg, PA

Re: Wow

I agree. What the hell could you have for $245 a month... and even so why???

Review by digital_one See Profile

• Location: Lake Worth,Palm Beach,FL
Good "nothing but greed"
Bad "everything"
Overall "get something else"

12/2 business

getting 6/1 for over a month now

Comments:

Review by mrphster See Profile

• Location: Cumming,Forsyth,GA
Good "Best speeds in Atlanta and fairly reliable"
Bad "Greedy. Caps. Highest prices."
Overall "Comcast has NEVER exceeded 45% of their capacity and yet they would like everyone to believe that the few are the problem"

I left Comcast Business Class because they hiked my bill $30 from $99 to 129. My speeds on Comcast business was 22mbps down and 10 up. I work out of my home. I signed up for e-blast 50mb for the introductory rate of $40 for 6 months. Two days later, a Comcast rep called and offered me free basic TV for one year and my internet at $40 would stay the same for an entire year. I asked him, why Comcast would give me free TV & increase my internet special price for 12 months. I asked him why Comcast was doing this and he stated he didn't know, only that this was the deal and did I want it? I said, I would be a fool not to accept it. I checked my bill when it came and it was $64. Only it wasn't. They changed my account plan from just Internet to Basic TV w Internet. Difference? TV w

Internet is normally charged at $80/mo. They way they worded it is, TV w Internet was $80 and for one year it was half-price. At the

end of the special, my rate would have gone to $80 instead of the agreed upon rate of $54. I don't watch SD, so I told them to take it off

and returned the TV box to my local Comcast office.

I tried overlapped the two services, Business Class & Residential, to make sure I was not left without service. I was told, that because my service address was the same for Residential & Business, I would be unable to overlap the two services. Residential could not sign me up, until I had cancelled my Business Class. There was a week from the time I cancelled my Business Class & when I got my Residential service up and running. I opted to install it myself and received two packages exactly the same. I could not get online and they said they had to send out a tech. I told them I was perfectly capable of setting up my modem, but they insisted, I was unable to get online until a tech came out and said, "uh.....it is properly screwed into the modem and the ethernet cable is properly connected from the modem to my router. I had paid for a new RG-7 line to be installed when I bought my house. I had it run straight into my modem. I had installed a new 4 foot copper ground stake to be installed as well. I had good signal strength. They provided me with a SMCD3GNV modem, but the modem kept trying to hand out IP Addresses to all of my computers, in addition to my NETGEAR r6300v1.

This modem had wireless as well. It took a couple of weeks before I figured out that the modem/router was unable to provide any speeds above 54mbps, due to a limitation Comcast had imposed on the wireless portion of the modem, which was that it was required to use WPA(TKIP)/WPA2(AES). WPA-TKIP is limited to 54mbps and I had no option to choose just WPA2. The modem/router was BGN capable, but not if WPA-TKIP was used.

So that was not going to work out. My wife can only connect wirelessly and the Comcast modem limited my r6300 to 54mbps. I called Comcast and complained to them. I told them that I was unable to see anywhere in the modem GUI where the modem could be put into Ethernet Bridge mode. They told me that only they had access to the Ethernet Bridge mode. So I had to ask them to put into Ethernet Bridge mode. The modem kept handing out IP addresses regardless. I told them I didn't need the modem to act as my DHCP router, because I was using my own router. My NETGEAR r6300v1 was constantly dropping my LAN connections. Not the wireless, but the wired Gigabit ports. I had it replaced at 6 months, because it was finally unable to even connect at all. The replacement r6300v1 bricked literally one week after the warranty ended. I called NETGEAR because I foolishly signed up for a additional support. I called them and told them my router LAN connections quit working again and the tech actually laughed at me, telling me too bad, my warranty had ended and they could no longer help me, despite the fact that I had 3 other r6300s that I was using in my son's restaurants. They had all my info. I could have pressed my point that I had called 14 times for the exact same problem and their fixes did not work, therefore, I should still be covered, but I didn't feel like wasting my energy. Did I switch to another brand? Of course not! I followed up with two more r6300v2 routers. (They worked very well, having had numerous changes like reducing the power required. I have had only one issue, fixed by resetting the factory defaults.)

I bought my own modem a month later. I bought a ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Retail Packaging - White off of Amazon. I connected it to my cable, waited for 2 days, per some advice I got online, before I called them to get it provisioned. I kept the Comcast modem for a week because I had read there were issues for people who bought their own modems, and were unable to get internet. For one month I could not get any emails whatsoever. I could not get it through my Outlook nor online. I had to call them 8 times because I couldn't log onto my account online to check my email and to make sure my emails were transferred from my business class. I was not receiving emails on all of my email addresses.

It turned out that no one at Comcast knew how to properly provision the modem. It took over a month before I was able to access my account online. The reason I couldn't access my account was because my modem had not been provisioned correctly. I escalated my case to TSEIIs and they were unable to help me. I called Comcast Business Class

because every time I contacted Comcast Tech support, I was always being asked was my call concerning my Residential or Business account. When I finally got ticked off enough, I decided to see if the Business Class techs could help me and I found a Business Class tech who was able to help me make sure my modem was provisioned and after a month I got things straightened out.

Comments:

Review by mohammede See Profile

• Location: Naperville,Will,IL
Bad "unstable"

Comcast is very unstable. I opened several ticket first time they stated that their node down, 2nd time they cam to my home replaced splitter still having same problem. I would like to replace this ISP provides

Comments:

Review by Furrever Fur See Profile

• Location: Grand Rapids,Kent,MI
Good "HSI good -- WHEN it works"
Bad "Phone tech and billing support continue to WORSEN"
Overall "Hope you never need to CALL them for service"

·Vonage
Have been a Comcast HSI and TV subscriber/customer for over 20 years. How is it possible for "customer service" to degrade so rapidly and so much? And absolutely NO accountability.

HSI is good -- WHEN it works. If your modem is defective, good luck getting it replaced. They won't do it most of the time. Techs that come to the home are a mixed bag; some get into diagnosing a problem. MOST, however, just look at their little meter, say "everything is okay here" and refuse to escalate something -- such as with a line problem further up.

Oh - and no more receipts for returned equipment. Big problem if Comcast decides you still have equipment ...!
UPDATE:
It is becoming nearly impossible to connect with a phone agent without long delays (over 40 mins+ to hours) and "accidental" disconnects (e.g. hang-ups). Agents appear to be outsourced and try to upsell "signature support" -- that is IF one can get through. Quality of service has severely gone down rapidly since Comcast acquired NBC Universal (or so it seems).

TV: Overpriced IMHO.
HSI: Great as long as you don't need support.

Comcast needs to wake up, hire and train telephone CSRs (whom they call "executives", lol) and remember: it is the CUSTOMER who pays the cable bill that allows Comcast to pay their employees.

------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: 25 January 2014
Going on the fourth (4th) complete outage of both HSI and cable TV since Dec 22, 2013: Dec 22 (several hours); Dec 23 (several hours); Dec 26 (several hours) and now January 3rd with HSI out for over 12 hours and cable TV still out. Automated telephone attendant indicates it is a "technical issue affecting your services" ... same as the last 3 times.

The "verification" bit over the telephone has actually gotten WORSE. The CAEs have claimed that (a) my phone number for the account is "not right"; that my account number doesn't match -- yada, yada. Pretty scary stuff, considering identity theft. I had to call Comcast Security Assurance after not validating.
Also, hold times of 45 minutes or greater only to be connected with people who's language isn't even close to understanding English. They don't appear to be trained well as far as their products and troubleshooting other than the requisite "...uhhhhh, let me send a refresh signal ...".

In short: STILL overpriced but beats the so-called competition which - for me - is only Da Phone Company.

member for 2.6 years, 395 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Furrever Fur
join:2012-02-20
united state
·Vonage

UPDATE: 3 January 2014

The phone support has NOT improved: still hold times of 45 minutes or greater only to be connected with people who's language isn't even close to understanding English. They don't appear to be trained well as far as their products and troubleshooting other than the requisite "...uhhhhh, let me send a refresh signal ...".

Gibby

@comcast.net

Comcast

Have to keep dropping service speed to prevent rate increase. They raised my internet rate $40 per month. In order to drop that increase down to just $10 more per month than I was currently paying, I had to drop from 25 mbps to 7 mbps. Only getting mbps though.
Why are they such a dishonest, miserable company?
Already dumped them for phone and TV. Guess I'll dump them completely and get a Jetpack or go with Century Link.

Review by rkdigital See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Okay some of the time"
Bad "Service tech's charge $65 even when it's not inside my home!"
Overall "Would switch to FIOS if it was in my neighborhood."

Have Max Blast (50/10) along with Digital TV. I don't use any of there equipment, I own all my equipment, including the TV tuners that I use (we use cable cards to support them). Having severe issues after a major outage in the area, still after a week not fixed completely.

I will update this review, only if they fix the issues.

Comments:

Review by Vibes See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
Good "Blindingly fast, mostly good tech support and little down time, but beware..."
Bad "Billing and getting them to honoring their written offers was hell, but then all OK."
Overall "OK if you need and can afford their superior speed, but not good initial service or ethics."

Back in January, 2011, I responded to a Comcast written offer for new customer ISP only service at 15 Mbps down/0.356 up, at $14.99 first 12 months, $24.99 for the second 12 months, and "free self-install".

I live in a condo and Comcast "rents" the Association's interior cable, so even as an experienced network engineer, I cannot get into their wiring cabinet and do not use any other Comcast service, so I needed their tech to plug in my wire in their rented access point down in the garages. This they did, but then billed me for an in-home visit, having never entered my condo. I setup their rental modem and was quickly online with promised speed or better. Then Cust. Svc. hell to get them to honor their promised "FREE" self-install....eventually, they did.

This speed tier was one up from their basic or beginners residential speed, once called "High Speed Internet" and "Performance Internet" (they keep renaming it), now "Blast Internet." Technically great, but billing and service were terrible, from the initial billing and first annual renewal, I never got the promised rate in the offer letter and had to fight the hydra-head monster that is Comcast (in person, by email, by phone, by letter, with every division not knowing what the other was doing or promising and all unable to render what was promised). After superhuman effort and 4 month of work at EACH annual renewal, I got each promised discount and was/am satisfied.

Threatening to sue and present my notes/records in court, I'm sure helped escalate the matter.

Note: I bought and installed a new DDM3513 Docsis 3.0 cable modem a few months in and returned the older Comcast rental Ubee (to save $7/month). That switch worked well and my bill dropped as expected. Good service there, but save your receipts.

As my third 12-months of Blast Xfinity ISP only discount service ($50/month) will soon end, I will again try for a "loyalty" discount on the same service...otherwise, its off to ATT or Sonic.net DSL at a third the price and speed. I definitely will not pay full price for Comcast otherwise good ISP service. And thanks to all you who post honest reviews...it definitely help keep these ISP's honest and responsive...eventually.

Comments:

Review by mgordon See Profile

• Location: 84081
Good "Internet speed and reliability"
Bad "Customer service"
Overall "I eventually left."

The speed and internet service is fast/reliable.

Comcast customer support and billing is out of control... After being a customer for 3 years, they decided to try and start charging me rent for their modem. Only problem is that I bought the modem from Best Buy. Customer support wouldn't believe me and after several phone calls/emails, I finally dug through my 3 year old receipts and proved it was mine. They finally conceded that it was mine and "fixed" it in their system. I was so sick of being accused of lying that I switched to Century Link. After canceling, Comcast then called me to tell me if I didn't return their modem I was going to be charged for it. Unbelievable.

I emailed Tom Karinshak, their executive VP of Customer Experience and... nothing.

All they had to do was continue to take my money every month and I would have remained a happy customer...

Comments:

comcast user

@comcast.net

Sounds about right

They did the same to me a couple years ago...
meb

join:2002-12-12
Potomac, MD

Me too...

Started billing me for the modem I owned after a change in plans. Later, when I cancelled service they tried to charge me for modem not returned. Cost more in time to get it fixed than the modem was worth.