Review by DaveDude See Profile

• Location: New Jersey
Good "Usually everything works"
Bad "Customer support is none exisitant. "
Overall "Get fios or uverse. They just dont care. "

·ViaTalk
This year has be the worse , Comcast doesnt care if your service is down. They just blame it on you. 4 trips and 2 techs to fix 2 boxes and 2 tivo out , the day they went to full encryption. No offers for compensation. They are worse then bell in the 80s . they just dont care about you as a customer, if fios was available i would just switch.

member for 15.1 years, 4613 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by kornholio See Profile

• Location: Denver,Denver,CO
Good "consistent, no suprises"
Bad "high cost, low quality of service"
Overall "expensive and smarmy but the only game in town"

No other broadband ISP available without phone line.
No options available for speed/price. Speed dwindling but price increased.
slow, always nibbling away at quality of services (dropped usenet w/o announcement, etc)
Order and install was very good as have been the times I needed service calls at my location.
Support is not as good as in years past.

Comments:

Review by KittyMom See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "No service issues"
Bad "High Price"
Overall "The service is good but I am always in the market for a lower price"

We started with TCI Cable and evolved to ATT and finally Comcast for cable TV. Their channel selection and picture quality is okay; nothing to rave about.

We had Comcast Digital phone service and experienced no problems with it, but about a year and a half ago was informed that Comcast was discontinuing their old Digital service and insisting customers either switch to Comcast Digital Voice or find another provider - kind of high handed attitude. We now have the CDV and so far no issues.

Also, have Comcast HSI as part of the bundle (top tier) and I'm satisfied with the quality but feel the prices are way too high, which detracts from my overall opinion of Comcast.

Any time I've called the local number to troubleshoot an issue, I have found the reps to be professional and knowledgeable, so I would give Comcast high marks there.

One big negative is when I signed up for the bundle, I was told my monthly cost was good for two years, but at the end of one year, the price increased. So I went from $199 plus taxes, etc. to $245 and that's after the so called $20 loyalty discount.

So, I'll be very interested in reading the reviews on Verizon FIOS

4/9/11 - just received one of those friendly nudges from the site reminding me to update my review. So, I thought I'd share my latest Java Speed Test results: 110 kbps down 5094 kbps up. Keep in mind I'm paying for 2000 kbps down 16000 kbps up.

2/19/12 - latest Java Speed Test results: 19288 Kbps down 5018 Kbps up but results vary widely depending on the test site you use.

9/21/13 - I recently called Comcast to ask how I could reduce cost as my monthly triple play had climbed from $199 to $245 to $266 to $281. The rep I spoke with was very helpful, agreed I was paying too much and was able to repackage my bundle down to $180.

My most recent speed test = »www.speedtest.net/my-result/2983136525

4/17/14 - just received an email from Comcast that states -" We increased the speed of your Blast Internet service! You now have download speeds up to 105 Mbps and upload speeds up to 10 Mbps." So, I thought I'd power cycle and test it. Here are the results.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3445753555

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3445770704

member for 9.4 years, 2180 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Scuba1 See Profile

• Location: Windsor,Hartford,CT
Good "Very dependable and consistent so far. Triple play seems to be working well."
Bad "$$$$$$$"
Overall "Beats DSL in my area."

Went tp triple play 5 months ago. The installer had someone in training with him, not sure if that made a difference or not. My number was ported with no issues. The services came up fine.

Now I'd like to see more HD content but other than that, no issues so far.

9/16/10 Upgraded to 50/10 tear 1 month ago. Seems snappy and stable.

4/11/2014 Currently on the 105/20 tier. During a support call tech support reflashed my modem to the wrong config. It took 2 weeks and 5 calls for them to correct their mistake.

member for 12.6 years, 3765 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by darthanubis See Profile

• Location: Richmond,Chesterfield,VA
Good "none"
Bad "Ignorant customer support. Uniformed, lazy, unprofessional techs."
Overall "Choose anyone else. It boggles the mind how they monopolize the market."

Check the G+ reviews. You need read no more.

member for 4.7 years, 257 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by RogerSC See Profile

• Location: Santa Cruz,Santa Cruz,CA
Good "They're in Santa Cruz"
Bad "They're in Santa Cruz"
Overall "Terrible."

Update 3/27/2014: Things are just cooking along here. We're now getting 25Mbps on the Blast! tier for the cost of what every one else pays for 50Mbps. Whoopee! Go Comcast! Love to see them regulated. We should be paying 1/2 of what people that are getting 50Mbps are paying, but no, they get away with whatever they can via their virtual monopoly here. Keep getting solicitations for "high-speed" DSL from AT&T, and then when I go look the best I can get is 768Kbps. No where near the 3Mbps that I was able to get 5 years ago from PacBell/AT&T.

Original review: I'm paying for 12Mb/s, get about 10Mb/s in the morning, usually, here on the west side of Santa Cruz, CA. As the afternoon wears on, after about 3PM, the speed really dives. By evening I'm usually sitting at 1.5-3Mb/s. Just terrible. They won't tell me if they're working on any improvements, all they can do is send out a tech, but it apparently isn't a technical problem. They obviously need to improve their infrastructure around here, but don't seem to have any moral compunctions about taking my money and delivering CRAP service.

I'd dump them in a NY minute if I could get broadband or DSL over 6Mb/s, but very little competition at the high end here. I can pay DSLextreme $15 for 3Mb/s, or AT&T for 3Mb/s, but don't want that. Really pisses me off that all I can do is pay for decent internet service, but can't get it.

Anyone having better luck that me on the west side of Santa Cruz??? Any suggestions? I was looking at the Exede satellite internet thing, but it is expensive, and lots of latency despite advertising decent speed.

Comments:
JohnShade

Blast.

You need to be using a Docsis Version 3 specification modem/emta/gateway that is hardwired to get 50Mbps. The older version 2 devices can't run that hard

PANTHER0820

@comcast.net

Re: Blast.

Actually the Docsis 3.0 modems can handle upto 300Mbps Downstream. I live in the HARRISBURG,PA Area and for the last 12 months I was getting 50Mbps, now they're in the process of doubling speeds to 105 at NO added cost as of April 1st... on www.speedtest.net my last read was 118mbps down, 11.5 upstream. Once they update the nodes in other areas those areas will get it too.

Re: Blast.

That's cool

Review by UGAJoe See Profile

• Location: Loganville,Walton,GA
Good "Great Product (X1 Platform in Atlanta Market)"
Bad "Horrible Customer Service/Installation"
Overall "If you can get it installed and WORKING, you won't beat it."

Ordering Process:

I was an existing double play customer. The website prompted me to upgrade my service to an X1 Triple Play. I chose the X1 Complete Package for $199. It is their highest priced triple-play package and includes the X1 DVR and service on up to 3 additional TVs. I went through the ordering process, picked my installation time, and finalized my order. I received an order confirmation which showed that I was going to receive free professional installation.

After I clicked submit on my order, the online ordering system said the order had to be reviewed and completed by an online representative. It connected me in a chat window. The representative quickly confirmed my order and told me that installation would be $100. I told him that I had an order confirmation showing free professional installation. I even offered to email it to him. He refused to honor the offer but told me that he would waive $40 of the installation fee. When I refused, he provided me with a number for "promotions" to call. The rep in promotions also refused to honor the deal but offered to waive $60.

I emailed the "We_can_help" email address and made a false advertising complaint. I forwarded a copy of my order showing free installation. The rep that responded finally honored the deal that I signed up for. He set up an installation time of 1-3 PM the following Saturday.

Installation:

As I said above, the installation time frame was 1-3 PM Saturday. At 3 PM, I received a call saying that the installation tech was delayed 30-50 minutes due to a problematic order. I was told he would arrive by 4 PM. At 3:30 PM, I received a call that stated no tech would be coming at all. They rescheduled for Sunday 1-3 PM.

On Sunday at 3 PM, there was still no sign of a technician and I didn't even get a courtesy call telling me there would be a delay. However, at 3:30 PM, a technician finally showed up to install. He profusely apologized and said he had come out of his area to pick up my job because they were so backed up on installations in my area.

It took him about two hours to install. He installed a professional looking "house box" on the side of my house. In the box, he installed an amplifier because he said my signal would be too low with four rooms hooked up. He also installed a filter that he said was required for X1 service. From there, he came inside and spent about two hours hooking up the new DVR and three receivers. He was polite and professional. More importantly, he didn't leave until the X1 boxes were all up and running.

Internet:

Internet speed advertised in the package is 105 Mbps. Unfortunately, I haven't received anything close. Most of my speed tests show 50 Mbps/10 Mbps. The latency is usually always less than 40 ms. It is commonly under 15 ms. This is no where close to the advertised speed but still almost ten times faster than available DSL speeds in my area.

Phone:

No complaints about phone service. You can't tell that it is VOIP. It works as well as a regular POTS line. Unfortunately, Comcast has declared that they are no longer providing a battery backup for their eMTA. This means that if the power goes out, we will lose phone service. However, with the phones that we currently use, the base requires power so it really isn't much of an issue.

Cable TV:

All I can say is WOW! The Graphical User Interface (GUI) on the X1 platform blows the old cable boxes out of the water. There is absolutely no comparison. It shows pictures of the movies you are about to watch. It shows you the rotten tomato ratings. It reminds me a lot of DirecTV's on-demand interface but a lot cleaner and less cluttered.

The built-in apps are cool but not sure if they are practical. However, the main DVR has built in Facebook, Instagram, Pandora, etc. All of the boxes have weather, traffic, horoscopes, and some other built-ins. Caller ID

It auto-tunes to HD channels if one is available for the channel you are watching. It is capable of up to 1080p resolution.

The DVR is MUCH smaller. The other boxes are roughly the same size at the last generation HD boxes so not much difference.

Parental controls are very user friendly. Select TV and movie ratings that you want to block and set a pin. You can have a purchase PIN to prevent unauthorized purchases. You can block specific ratings. You can also block adult titles from view.

The remote control is great. It is RF based instead of IR. Therefore, you don't even have to point the remote at the box and it works. It also seamlessly controls my TV volume, power, etc.

The only downsides we've found:

1. When the box disconnects, it takes a while to connect to the system. We have not had any random outages but I imagine if the power flickers we'll be off a few minutes before we regain service.

2. The guide occasionally drops out. Last night for about an hour, when we hit the guide button, nothing displayed. However, it came back on its own some time last night.

3. I tried to use the X1 app for my Ipad mini. It said we couldn't use it because we didn't have a cloud-based DVR in our market.

3/19/2014 UPDATE

Installation date was 3/16/14. By 3/18/14, one X1 receiver had already bit the dust. After several hours trying to get the problem fixed, they told me I needed a tech. The next tech appointment is 3/22/2014. So... After the ordeal of getting it installed, we lose service on one TV less than 48 hours later. They then are going to take four plus days to get it fixed.

Comments:
doliver1616

join:2011-05-20

Similar experience

It took 3 weeks after I switched from double play to triple play and I didn't even change the TV equipment. I have found that most of the customer service phone reps don't have a clue but the tech support phone folks are pretty good. I finally had to go to an Xfinity store to pick up a phone modem.

I'm about 50 miles from you and getting 120 mb on the same tier as you (direct cable from the modem to computer. If you are testing through a router that maybe causing the speed drop, mine did.

Extreme 105

Speed guaranteed for hardwired over Ethernet cat 6 cable to a gigabit Ethernet card

Review by ebony716 See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Cobb,GA
Good "Friendly customer service"
Bad "Unreliable service"
Overall "Not recommended for work at home users."

I'm so angry I can't even describe it at length. Suffice it to say, I've experienced everything from throttled speeds to daily outages to currently 18 hrs without internet or phone. They tell me it's a system wide problem in my area. Apparently it's a problem they haven't been able to fix in months. Stay away if you live in the E. Cobb/Woodstock/Roswell area.

Update: Two weeks later, I've had outages at least twice each week. Just got through another one. I haven't heard any explanations about what's going on, and there aren't any comparable ISPs in my area. So basically I'm stuck with Comcast - they have a monopoly on this market.

Comments:

Illuminati

@172.56.26.x

Iwish Comcast become out of bussniss

Worst company ever i wish new companies appear to the market not honest and have a bater costumert service

Review by jackintosh11 See Profile

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
Good "I don't know, it... works sometimes?"
Bad "Horrible reliability, bad customer service, horrible value, not great services"
Overall "Only get it if you have no other choice"

I just ordered FiOS and am extremely glad. The speeds with Comcast are decent at best. They are very unreliable, and they give little credit for outages. They are also expensive, the TV interface is bad, and their CS reps are either in India, or are chosen out of the dumbest americans. One of them encouraged me to switch to Verizon. I had a modem from them from 2001 until 2011, and they refused to give me a new one. I had to buy a new one out of pocket. In the end, don't get it unless you have no other option.

Comments:
riffin1

join:2013-12-17
Saint Paul, MN

Wow

How do you even pay that much?
mist668

join:2011-02-15
Middleburg, PA

Re: Wow

I agree. What the hell could you have for $245 a month... and even so why???

Review by digital_one See Profile

• Location: Lake Worth,Palm Beach,FL
Good "nothing but greed"
Bad "everything"
Overall "get something else"

12/2 business