Review by sdm1031 See Profile

• Location: Burlington,Burlington,NJ
Good "Not really much to say"
Bad "Overpriced. Slow internet. Indian call centers. Horrible tech support."
Overall "If it weren't for the fact they are borderline a monopoly and I have no other choice, I'd have left their asses many years ago."

I've been with Comcast since Comcast first came about. Way back in the day when cable modem technology was the new thing, I was on Garden State Cable in NJ and the cable provider was @Home if we can all remember those days. Comcast rolled into the area and bought everything up like most monopolies do. So by default I was with them since the beginning. In South Jersey there is no real option besides DirectTV and if you are lucky, FIOS through Verizon. I am no so lucky because that's only in certain towns / areas. If I had the ability to leave Comcast I would have many years ago. Their tech support staff is horrid. Back in the day you would at least get to speak to an American. Now it's blatantly obvious you are dealing with a call center in India. They are of no help at all. You get the normal run around about unplugging your modem, etc when we all know that's no solution. I've worked IT for many years and I can tell you right now, in my personal experience, the problems are generally from something they've done on their end. You sit on the phone for 30 mins while they run through their ordeal of unplugging and plugging in your modem. Hard resetting. All the things you know are not going to solve your problem only to have them schedule a tech to come to your house. That requires taking off work, and for what? A problem that was their fault all along. I'm mostly speaking about my most recent issues with them pushing firmware changes to my cable modem (purchased BY me mind you) and it breaking my connectivity. I could go on for days about my issues with Comcast's internet service. When it works, it's great. 20Mbit/sec is a decent speed but not for the price. These days, with Google, and people trying to compete with Google, the price is outlandish. I pay $170 a month and all I get is basic cable with some premium channels such as science, discovery, etc. I have two cable boxes and internet. That's an absurd price in my opinion but they know they can get it from me because there is no alternative where I live. I couldn't even get Direct TV if I wanted (not that I would) because I'm an apartment dweller and we are not allowed. So the monopoly that is Concastic steals that 170 a month off me knowing full well I have no real choice but to pay it. I could go on forever about how disappointed I am with Comcast, but would all the complaining really help? No. It's just a bunch of self serving venting while I sit here using my phone for internet service because my Comcast is down once again due to yet another firmware push by them. Thanks Comcast.

Comments:

Review by bob_calder See Profile

• Location: Boynton Beach,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Fairly stable speed but not often as high as advertised"
Bad "Phone support often clueless"
Overall "Meh"

I have had Comcast for over a year. I'm a Sam Knows subscriber, so I get monthly statistics. Initial speed down was 52 mbps but it has leveled off at 35 mbps. Packet loss will be about ten percent for a couple of days a month. Upstream around 11 mbps. but it varies a lot more than the downstream. Since it is DOCSIS 3, I am guessing that channel binding in one direction or another is responsible for this.

A month or two ago the Motorola modem lost reliability and I went through three levels of support. The third service level cost me fifty dollars. This technician re-installed the software and the issue was closed. Good. However, today the modem has again disappeared off Comcast's radar and I now have a service appointment for three days hence. I feel three days is excessive. I am looking at AT&T. Comcast costs $150 for TV and Internet. AT&T will be $115 when the discount expires and it has a far better channel lineup though slower Internet at 24 mbps versus Comcast's 35 mbps.

Comments:

Review by faris8 See Profile

• Location: Bethesda,Montgomery,MD

I have Comcast Xfinity in Bethesda, Md. It advertises 50 Mbs up and download speeds. It delivers less than 1 Mbs most times of day. I am interested in pursuing a class action lawsuit. If anyone would like to join me in this, please reply to this post.
-Jim

Comments:

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA

1 up and 1 down, that sounds really symetrical.

Well, what did they tell you when you called customer service about your problem??

Are they looking into it?
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET
nysports4evr
join:2010-01-23

...

How about try contacting customer service. Give me a break.

OMG

@comcast.net

What have you done?

What is your service level? Are you using a docsis 2.0 or 3.0 modem? Are you connecting via ethernet or wireless. If you do a speedtest, are you going to speedtest.net or speedtest.comcast.net (it makes a difference)? Is your OS correctly updated? What programs are running in the background on your system? these are just a few of the possible bottlenecks you may be dealing with, except for the speedtest I understand that you're P.O.'d, but jumping up with an invite to start a class-action ...........

Review by raythompsontn See Profile

• Location: Oliver Springs,Roane,TN
Good "Package deal is not too bad for phone, internet and cable"
Bad "Equipment is old and clunky. Too many deals for new customers, nothing for existing."
Overall "The only choice I have for high speed internet so what can I say."

My biggest complaint is the customer equipment that is provided is old and clunky generally with many scratches on the box. Oak Ridge seems to get the equipment that is cast off from Knoxville. And this is still true three years later. Equipment is scratched, shows signs of obvious wear and mild abuse. One unit had reeked of cigarette smoke and had to be returned.

I also don't like special deals for new customers when there is little effort to keep existing customers. Which is more important, continued support of existing customers or new customers which may not stay?

Tech support which required a home visit on the last couple of calls was puzzling. Each rearranged the splitters saying whomever did the connections did them wrong. Apparently each tech has their own opinion.

Purchased my own data modem to eliminate the modem rental charge only to find that I had been misinformed by the local office. I still get charged for a voice modem. Shouldn't the voice modem be part of the phone service?

Comments:

Review by POSITIVEDSL See Profile

• Location: Delray Beach,Palm Beach,FL
Good "When It works!"
Bad "Constant inteuption of service and inconsistant throughput. Monthly billing errors require an average of 1 hour on hold. "
Overall "COMCAST IS A MONOPOLY OWNING NBC, UNIVERSAL, AND TOO MANY CABLE FRANCHISED COMMUNITIES- SERVICE IS SUBSTANDARD"

COMCAST IS A MONOPOLY OWNING NBC, UNIVERSAL, AND TOO MANY CABLE FRANCHISED COMMUNITIES CONTRACTS.

THE S.E.C. SHOULD INVESTIGATE HOW ONE COMPANY HAS BEEN ALLOWED TO HAVE SO MUCH POWER OVER THE MEDIA AND COMMUNICATION THAT THE AMERICAN PUBLIC HAS ACCESS TO. THEIR INFLUENCE TO CONTROL PRODUCTION AND DISTRIBUTION OF NEWS, FILMS, ACCESS TO INTERNET & SOCIAL MEDIA IS AS DISTURBING AS THE NSA'S MONITORING ALL WORLD COMMUNICATIONS. ANTI TRUST LAWS SHOULD HAVE PREVENTED THE COMCAST CARTEL FROM EXISTING.

OWING TO THE VAST POWER THEY CONTROL AND THEIR RIDICULOUSLY HIGH COST OF SERVICE ONE WOULD THINK THEY WOULD AT LEAST GIVE THE LEVEL OF SERVICE AN INDIVIDUAL PAYS FOR.

COMCAST IS A TWO WAY SYSTEM AND THEY KNOW WHEN YOUR SERVICE IS NOT UP TO PAR YET THEY REQUIRE THE CUSTOMER TO CALL, BE ON HOLD FOR LONG WAIT TIMES IN ORDER TO GET THE CREDIT FOR POOR OR NO SERVICE. WHY SHOULD THE CUSTOMER HAVE TO REPORT POOR SERVICE WHEN THE COMCAST SYSTEM KNOWS WHEN SERVICE IS BAD OR CORRECT? INTERESTINGLY WHEN YOUR PAYMENT IS LATE A DAY OR TWO THEY AUTOMATICALLY KNOW TO CUT OFF SERVICE.

IN ESSENCE COMCAST IS TWO BIG TO BE GOOD FOR THE AMERICAN COMPETITIVE MARKET.

CABLE LINES SHOULD BE SUBJECT TO THE SAME RULES OF SHARING SERVICES AS THE TELEPHONE LINES ARE SO AS TO PROMOTE HONEST COMPETITION IN THE AMERICA SPIRIT OF BUSINESS FAIR PRACTICES.

NOW THAT CABLE COMPANIES OFFER TELEPHONE SERVICE SHOULDN’T THE WIRE ACCESS LAWS APPLY TO THEM AS WELL AS THE TELEPHONE COMPANIES?

WAKE UP AMERICA WE ARE BEING RIPPED OFF AND OUR GOVERNMENT IS LETTING THE CORPORATIONS SCREW US ALL.

Comments:

Review by dandelion See Profile

• Location: Germantown,Shelby,TN
Good "The only cable offered in my area"
Bad "Fair"
Overall "Usually things improve when not a monopoly"

The steps you have to go through on the answering machine when calling to order, get help, start or stop a service etc. is excessive even from today's standards and there is a possibility you will get cut off while waiting then need to start it all again.

You can call Comcast, speak to a very nice customer service rep, think all is arranged and call back only to find out all is NOT arranged and totally different information is given out between one rep and another. If you desire to talk to a supervisor there is none available usually so you wait for a possible phone call. I don't believe this is different from most cable though. I DO object to them using shoddy modems i.e. not a new one even in the stores and all rebuilt. So far mine is working but there is a rattle inside if you shake it.

member for 10.9 years, 6565 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

Comcast still about the same

In all this time, Comcast hasn't changed much. They are the only cable around, still a monopoly though there are other alternatives I like cable the best. I think their customer service leaves a lot to be desired but probably not as bad as some I've read about either.

Review by newview See Profile

• Location: Parsonsburg,Wicomico,MD
  • Telco party Sprint
Good "Established company - probably NOT a good thing"
Bad "Poor speeds compared to @home, POOR NEWSGROUPS, AT$T merger, unreliable email due to Comast servers blacklisted"
Overall "If other alternatives are available in your area, you may get more for your money than what Comcast offers"

·DIRECTV
As a recent subscriber to @home in September 2001, I experienced what broadband was supposed to be like . . . and then I was caught up in the @home bankruptcy and transitioned to Comcast. I immediately experienced a speed reduction of over 50% of what I was used to. If that wasn't bad enough I was REALLY taken back with the realization that Comcast does not have a newsgroup server. I lost fully half my speed and half my internet experience in that conversion! I couldn't believe that a well established company like Comcast, who is supposed to be experienced in broadband access, wouldn't realize how important newsgroups are to cable modem users.

To make matters even worse, as of this writing, there is no mention on their newly formed web site for comcast.net subscribers, any mention of plans for or against usenet access. We are left in limbo wondering what is going on. Emails to their "Customer Care" for members have gone unanswered, except for form mail pointing to now-defunct @home irrelevant FAQ's. Telephone calls to tech support, while answered quickly at Level 1, degrade rapidly once bumped to Level 2, with long hold times. I finally hung up after an hour on hold.

It also appears that I also cannot reach certain web sites. I suspect that an entire portion of net space is unavailable to me. Unavailable are 2wire.com, speedguide.net, firehouse.com and anonymizer.com. These sites are available with my backup dialup connection so I know that it's Comcast's problem. All these sites hang off of Verio.net . . . what's up with that?

I cannot presently recommend Comcast as a broadband provider until their level of customer service is at an acceptable level, and their offered services are up to par, since all are presently lacking.

1/1/2002 - It's been two weeks since the "transition" to Comcast's network, and it's still broke. Email is spotty, often down. And, apparently Comcast is using a transparent proxy server which is preventing access to a significant number of web sites and entire networks. It also appears that Comcast intends to use this proxy to monitor web activity in order to send spam or otherwise market your surfing habits.

»Comcast isn't getting rid of the transparent proxy

Newsgroup access is now available due to Comcast aliasing to @home news servers, but there was NO indication or contact about this from Comcast. Only through the efforts of people on this board did this information come to light.

»Comcast Usenet Servers Here

»NEWS SERVER news.mi.comcastwork.com

1/4/2002 - In media reports in which Comcast "spin doctors" and sock puppets have been interviewed, they are indicating no major problems and a smooth transition. Don't you believe it. Major problems are surfacing with every area they transition. Many of these problems are of Comcast's own making.

7/13/02 - Recent postings on dslreports.com in the Comcast forum have indicated that Comcast has raised the download cap to 1800kbps from 1500kbps, probably in order to justify advertised claims of a true 1500kbps speed, which was NOT attainable due to latency, routing problems, hop counts, etc. The upload cap has NOT been raised . . . raising issues with transmit times of email with large attachments for one, and gaming for another. Comcast does appear to be trying to address customer concerns, but is still close-mouthed about problems . . . for instance nowhere on their web site(s) is raising the upload cap mentioned. Webmail is a memory . . . it's been down, what . . . six months now? Newsgroup access is a joke . . . provided by a third-party, Giganews, and limited to 1gb a month . . . a ridiculous amount if you're doing ANY downloading other than text-based newsgroups. VPN access is STILL only offered with the PRO service . . . at double the price of residential service. Comcast obviously sees this as a forced upgrade and a cash cow for them.

12/01/02 - Recent news reports and discussions in the Comcast forum indicate that Comcast is considering download caps to thwart "bandwidth hogs" using P2P applications. I believe this is a "politically correct" reason that Comcast is espousing to cover their agenda of reducing operating costs in the wake of the AT&T merger at the expense of their subscribers, who have already seen many service reductions since the @home transition. The day that Comcast imposes download caps will be the day I cancel my service . . . .both Internet & Cable TV.

»Poll: If Comcast imposes download caps

1/28/03 - There now appears to be a problem on the Eastern Shore of Maryland with the service slowly degrading. My connection graphs of incoming pings from both the East Coast & West Coast DSLR monitoring servers indicate a marked increase in pings, with spikes exceeding 200ms. It's slowly getting worse. A once stable connection with 18ms pings to the FIRST HOP is now at almost 30ms to the FIRST HOP. This has occurred since I began monitoring in December '02. I set up a web site to document the problem and emailed ECAREONLINE with the URL, but they refused to read it, and instructed me to call their Tech Support number. I'm starting to get real fed up with Comcast. And, it's pretty bad when the customer has to go out of his way to fix THEIR network problems.

»Sometimes it pays to ask . . . pings cut in half

2/21/03 - Updated to reflect satellite penalty price increase

6/17/03 - Comcast has implented traffic shaping and it has considerably improved my download speeds. Comcast continues to receive media exposure on customer complaints about cableTV bundling & pricing as they convert areas in the country from ATTBI to Comcast.

»'Tried and True'

04/03/04 - While Comcast infrastucture has settled out to a somewhat accepable 3000/256, (but with still NO newsgroup access and VERY troubling bandwidth abuse suspensions with NO published limits), the MOST problematic problems of Comcast at the moment is their spam zombie problems.

Comcast is landing in more and more major blacklists due to their extremely inefficient handling of spam problems by their abuse department. They appear to be ignoring complaints sent through SpamCop, one of the most respected services of the anti-spam community, even though reports documenting tens of thousands of complaints are readily available.

Comcast's approach to the problem appears to be one of paying lip-service to their stated AUP/TOS by spin-doctoring through the media their strict policy of suspension, which appears to be few and far between. Instead, Comcast representatives at their email forums have indicated that they are contacting ISPs who are blocking Comcast through SORBS and other blacklists, and asking to have Comcast's mail servers whitelisted.

If you want reliable email service, don't subscribe to Comcast.

01/10/06 - Well, it's been a year-and-a-half since my last update to my Comcast experience and things are, by and large, better than they were. It's a fairly reliable connection, except when they upgrade or do maintenence, which seems to hose the connection for days or weeks at a time. My main gripe right now is the recent upgrade to 6000/384 last year left us subscribers who DO NOT subscribe to their cableTV out in the cold. You don't get the upgrade . . . period. So now, not only do you have to pay a $15.00 penalty if you don't subscribe to their cableTV, you are reminded that you are a second-class Comcast customer and don't deserve any consideration for what you DO pay for. I can't wait for ANY other broadband service to become available in my area. I'll drop Comcast like a hot rock.

04/23/06

Comcast refuses to terminate Zombie Subscriber

Comcast IP has been spamming since December 2005

»www.trustedsource.org/query.php?···.116.127

Spamcop has received and been sent 100's of complaints to Comcast since December 2005

Comcast confirmed knowledge of this spamming IP in a forum post by a moderator / says it's been resolved / IP continues to spam

»forums.comcast.net/thread.jspa?t···tstart=0

(must have a Comcast account to view)

Discussion on DSLR of Comcast's inaction in shutting down this Zombie IP

»[Spam] Picture of a Comcast Zombie

member for 12.5 years, 5933 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mikedz4 See Profile

• Location: Weirton,Hancock,WV
Good "50 mbps down with 150 hd channels"
Bad "$250 for two boxes ( one dvr and one client for multi room dvr) and all premiums"
Overall "They should have a cheaper plan that includes boxes"

Speeds are great if you don't run into any problems. HD service is excellent, lack of some channels (ohio news network) is disappointing.
Too expensive. $200 for triple play platinum and 6 boxes is rediculous.

Had to cancel for two boxes and whole home dvr ended up being over $200 a month. So switched to frontier and directv. It's a shame since I loved Comcast. Plus they keep putting off the upgrades to x1. Got tired of waiting and went to directv

member for 11 years, 4789 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by funkhonda See Profile

• Location: Oakland,Alameda,CA
Good "self install was impressive. line already in (from old service). already had cable modem. click, click, credit card, go."
Bad "called for tech support when there is an outage/problem. staff undertrained/inefficient. on top of that blind transfers..."
Overall "you're trading speed for piss poor service. im actually going back to clear (yeah, that slow) because the service is better"

Simply put, it doesn't matter HOW fast your service is if you're dealing with rudeness and stupidity. What premium goes on your sanity for 6Mbps down and 768K up? Even if you get it cheap but the support staff causes you to have a meltdown what's the point? If they hang up on you to ditch responsibility or out of just sheer ineptitude and you STILL have to call them back what are you paying for and why are you giving them money at all?

just my two cents.

Comments:

Review by mojojam See Profile

• Location: Fort Collins,Larimer,CO
Good "Solid reliable connection."
Bad "Over priced. Not too many options in my area. "
Overall "Ok for what I can get around here. Decent hardware makes a big difference."

Connection speed: Economy Plus 3/.768 Mbps $39.95 + $4 wiring protection (dog digs up cable sometime).

Speedtest.net: 3.4/.8 Mbps.

Old Hardware (I buy my own modem): I was using the Motorola SBG6580 which is the cable modem + wifi. It worked well for most of the year then I started having problems with Xbox Live connectivity. I found out I couldn't change the firewall settings in the modem. No port forwarding changes were accepted. Couldn't set DMZ as well as change other settings. It always went back to it's default settings. That was possibly due to a firmware update pushed by Comcast. They checked it out but couldn't do anything about it.

New Hardware: Zoom 5341j. After calling the Comcast tech about initial slow speeds they were able to get it working properly. It's been over a year and is still working great. Way better than the SBG6580. Nothing was hobbled when I updated the firmware. Throughput is very good. Port forwarding worked properly. No problems with Xbox Live connectivity now. I'm using an old linksys 54g with dd-wrt for the wifi.

Since I was having so many problems with the SBG6580 I changed plans from Performance to Economy Plus. The "Economy Plus" speed wasn't listed anywhere on Comcast's site. The slowest speed Comcast showed on their website that I could change to was the Performance Starter at $49.95. I found the Economy Plus mentioned through some forum (may have been this website) which listed the lower speeds they don't advertise. When I switched from Performance speed to Economy Plus it took them over a month to actually lower the speed.

Online games still function pretty well although there is lag sometimes. Definitely more than when I was subscribed to the Performance speed but most of the time it is still playable without lag. Download speeds of websites is tolerable. Streaming music works well. Multiple people viewing video's can cause lag. Uploading lots of photos can be mind numbingly slow so I just use my connection at work to do that.

I'll probably switch back to a higher speed but since I'm not gaming too much right now I'm in no hurry to pay more.

The Economy Plus is good for basic web surfing/streaming video, music, and movies. Movies may not stream well in 1080p though. If you have more than one person that plays online games or watches lots of online movies then I'd recommend a higher speed.

Overall it's the best of the high speed internet that's available around here but that's not saying much since the options are: Comcast cable modem, DSL, Satellite, or use your neighbor's wifi.