Review by jlangley777 See Profile

• Location: Mount Dora,Lake,FL
Overall "Misinformation, contradictory information, sux, sux, sux!"

Customer Service zombies were poorly trained, rude, obstinate, condescending and robotic. The one thing they were NOT was helpful. Despite picking up a self install kit I was told that my service would be delayed for two more days? Why? Because someone screwed up and scheduled it as a company install. And while the CSR could see the mistake no one was competent enough or authoritative enough to undo the mistake. Since going with Comcast a couple of weeks ago I have probably reset the modem a dozen or more times. And calling Customer Service is an exercise in futility and frustration. Unfortunately we are tied to Comcast because they are THE service providers in our neighborhood. As soon as we get into a competitive environment they are GONE and they won't be coming back. Avoid them like the plague.

Comments:
tdumaine
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

uh

If its that bad cancel it. 30 days money back guarantee and all.

Theres a comcast forum here (direct is you and employees, comcast hsi is a public forum) you could try for some help in.

Review by hambone42 See Profile

• Location: Manassas,Prince William,VA
Good "When it works, it works well -- if you're configured properly"
Bad "Abysmal tech support, lack of follow-through on trouble tickets"
Overall "Consider your alternatives carefully, I would switch if there were an acceptable alternative"

Update December 2013

After 6 years with Comcast, it's time to say goodbye due to another move. Overall, the service during that time was acceptable, but only because when I had an issue I dealt directly with the Comcast Direct forum here or the we_can_help@comcast.com executive support address. The chat and phone reps are completely useless for anything other than the simplest question.

Of course, there were the typical aggravations associated with Comcast during my time with them:

I did have several months' worth of incorrect billing for a CableCard/TiVo connected outlet. I gave up trying to fix it because the amount in error wasn't worth the time needed to fix it, and I knew I was moving soon anyway.

It took 4 months to get a refund from my final bill, and that was only successful due to (again) intervention by Executive Support. Somehow, my refund was mysteriously held up because I had "unreturned equipment", specifically, a modem. I've never rented a modem at any time yet "the system" suddenly decided I had one. One last kick in the teeth...good thing the new place has FiOS.

---information below this line pertains to my initial installation experience---

After moving to a new house in NoVA in August 2007, I found my Internet access options consisted of dialup, satellite, and Comcast. I gutted out dialup for two months, considered and rejected satellite after reading the reviews here, and finally decided to go back to Comcast even after my experience with them in Maryland.

Shopped around for about a month and finally settled on a double-play deal through comcastoffers.com consisting of a new customer promotional offer of "Digital Preferred Plus" digital cable and "Performance Plus" 8Mbps High-Speed Internet at $33 each for a six-month period.

When I placed the order, I advised the order taker that the house had never had cable service, and that they would need to make appropriate arrangements for bringing a line in from one of their pole appearances. I live on a corner lot so they had two sets of poles to choose from. The rep stated they would perform a survey (2-3 business days required) to determine if I was in a serviceable location, and that installation would be scheduled after this activity was complete.

I called a few days later and scheduled installation for Nov 16, 2007, and confirmed that the serviceability survey was completed. The following series of events then unfolded:

Nov 16th -- one tech shows up with a digital box and states, "I'm here to install your cable tv service". I ask him if he has the rest of the equipment and supplies to install the drop from the street. This requirement is news to him as he has no information on his work order showing anything other than a simple digital box installation. I walk him through the various options for making the street connection (overhead plus buried drop on one street, full buried drop over longer distance from the other street). He states he will update the record, and return the following day with the right equipment and supplies.

Nov 17th -- different tech arrives, again with just a digital box and no information on the required street drop, nor does he have any outside plant equipment or materials. Lather, rinse, repeat...

Nov 19th -- a third technician shows up. Lather, rinse, repeat...

Nov 24th -- a fourth technician shows up, again with no clue about the installation requirements. He is informed that the order is now cancelled, and he goes on to his next job.

On Nov 26th, I decide to inform Mr. Roberts about the serious customer service and installation issues he has in Manassas. Remember, this is the same office that received a visit from »The Comcast Hammer Granny two months prior to my order. That afternoon, I receive a phone call from "executive support" wanting to know what they can do to fix the problem. I go over the entire history -- which they already had in an e-mail -- and tell them they can install the following day after 3pm, or consider the order permanently cancelled.

Nov 27th -- I come home at the appointed hour to find 10 different Comcast technicians and supervisors, including two guys that are clearly mid- to senior-level management, crawling all over my property. Total time from start of work to successful modem configuration -- about two hours. I suspect that installation cost Comcast about $75/minute.

In the end, I received the service (I think, there were still some "oddities" in the billing) I wanted. The overall aggravation level on both sides would have been greatly reduced, however, had Comcast been able to internally communicate and supervise their subcontractors correctly.

===Information below this line pertains to my experience with Comcast in Laurel and Columbia, MD between 2004 and 2007===

I ordered Comcast HSI in April 2004. Purchased my own modem from Circuit City; got a rebate which reduced modem cost to $0. Initial installation went well, service performed near advertised speeds (3000/384 initially; 4000/384 later) consistently until May 2005.

Comcast "fixed" something in early May 2005. I'm now getting speeds in the 100/350 range consistently for the last three weeks. Have repeatedly posted test results -- modem signals, ping, traceroute, speed tests -- to DSLR and the Comcast help forums. Also opened a trouble ticket on 21 May 05. There's been no improvement, no forecasted resolution date, no communication unless I initiate.

They've got about another week to show some progress or even some concern, then I'm headed back to Verizon DSL. A reliable 1500/256 beats a vaporware 4000/384 any day.

[Update Summer 2006]

Well, I stuck with them even after another network "upgrade" in Spring 2006 which resulted in the same types of problems as I experienced in May 2005. Only took a couple of weeks to fix the upgrade.

Then came July 2006, when I moved from Columbia to Laurel, MD. That's only about 10 miles as the crow flies, yet it was nearly too much for Comcast to handle. Absolutely no coordination between the Howard and PG county sales offices. I had to order a "disconnect" in Columbia, and a "new start" in Laurel. Of course this meant three weeks' worth of lost e-mail....

....and the two missed installation appointments. I finally decided to let Mr. Roberts fix the problems in his PG county sales office. I also found out that there is such a thing as a "Customer Service Advocate", but apparently you have to threaten to cancel and file a complaint with the county cable commission in order to find out who it is. The CSA finally managed to break the installation logjam -- the Kodak moment being when she asked me to reconfirm my address since they couldn't locate it -- my response was "ask the tech who claims he was out here last week when I supposedly wasn't home, he apparently knows where it is".

FiOS is finally available here, but since I will be moving in less than a year making the swap makes little economic sense. I'm showing Comcast the door at the next opportunity, though.

Comments:
SSBNuke

join:2013-12-11

Comcast as a VoIP provider.

If you have a anger management issues or a tendency toward ulcers, you probably want to avoid MagicJack. Their chat-only support model actually does work, they are really cheap and the quality was more than acceptable. Full set of useful features including call forwarding (that you can set remotely if your ISP is down). So impressed that I did two things. I increased my prepaid service to March 2017 and bought their new unit that plugs right in to an ethernet port in my router. Converted my service extension, kept my phone number but irretrievably LOST call forwarding. No announcements, no warnings, just gone. So my reaction was to return the new unit (MJ moved service and number back to the old one) and returned it to Walmart. Talked to Comcast, got a deal they call a triple play that included voice. Came with a number, but they said they could port the MJ number in. I paid MJ $30 and damned if it didn't work pretty much as advertised. Oddly, though, even with the quintupled internet speed on the new deal, the quality wasn't all that good. MJ beat it, but yanking features is a no-no as far as I'm concerned. So I decided to do Obihai (OBI100) with Google Voice. Ordered it from Amazon, Googled OBI100 and got a hit that says GV won't support XPPM after 5/15/14. On an Obihai site. Didn't even unpack it. Sent it back. Now, I'm down to a land line with AT&T. Mama says I better not lose HER phone number.
So I call AT&T and they start the process. I called them USING mama's number connected to Comcast through my Comcast-supplied voice modem. AT&T calls me in two days and tells me that Comcast says it's not a valid number. THEY ported it in from MJ, they make it ring my phone and let me call out on it but they can't find a record that it's active.
Magic Jack yanks features. Obihai can't talk to Google Voice starting in May. NetTalk's customer service is non-existent. Comcast is ridiculously hard to navigate and doesn't seem able to understand that if they are talking to me about a number that "doesn't exist" ON that number via Xfinity Voice, then COMCAST's records are screwed up.
I have now had verification that my 72-yo adrenal glands can get me tense with four vendors.
It is my belief that VoIP has its place - and it's not in my house.

Review by tweakt See Profile

• Location: Winthrop,Suffolk,MA
Good "Reasonably fast and reliable."
Bad "Ordering was painful. Constant threat of data caps. Not cheap"
Overall "It's the only option in this area"

The only other option in this area is ~5 mbps Verizon DSL and they weren't taking new orders at the time (at capacity). So Comcast it was.

Ordering was a nightmare. I couldn't get the online forms to waive the installation fee so I called. The agents repeatedly tried to strong arm me into higher packages. They wouldn't waive the installation fee no matter how much I asked (illegal?) on the claim that the tech would need to make changes at the termination point. He didn't. I had my own modem already. All he did was call in the mac address and connect the DVR he brought. He wasn't in a cherry picker so there was no intention of him climbing up there.

Using the service has been problem free. The speed is reasonable. There may have been a few outages but nothing prolonged and nothing that couldn't have just been temporary modem/router problems.

The onscreen guide is dated and definitely isn't optimized for widescreen HD. The FIOS guide has this beat by a decade.

Data caps have been suspended in this locale but there is the constant threat that they will be re-implemented.

All in all, it works fine, which is good since there isn't another option, but it's clear that Comcast is not concerned with customer satisfaction.

Comments:

crystalDC

Service from HELL

I've had nothing but issues from Comcast. I live in DC and if it's not the service it's the billing. For the past 4 months I had to be issued over $50 in credits every month for wrongful billing charges or bad service interruptions. It's impossible to enjoy something I have to consistently micro manage. the worse thing is it's virtually my only option in my area. What can I do? I've taken all the steps I can to get other options. I promise I spend at least 90-200 minutes a wk on the phone with comcast for some kind of issue. I'm at my wits end and will revert to no cable as I did in 2011.

Review by fantom1979 See Profile

• Location: Sterling Heights,Macomb,MI
Good "Fast internet for cable, good channel selection"
Bad "Very expensive compared to WOW or Dish"
Overall "Only choice if you want fast internet and MLB/NFL channels"

Only choice if you want fast internet and NFL/MLB Network.

EDIT: You can now get NFL Network/RedZone from WOW. As for the comment left by anony1, of course you can get Sunday Ticket from Direct TV, but you missed the *AND* in my post. As far as I know, Direct TV does not offer fast internet.

Comments:

anony1

-1 recommendation

NFL channels?

NFL Channels? Really?
NFL Sunday Ticket is still an exclusive DirecTV product.
Argh!

Review by Veloslave See Profile

• Location: Martinez,Contra Costa,CA
Good "Pretty darn fast.... smokes DSL"
Bad "This business account is far better than consumer... but it is still Comcrap"
Overall "No Sonic.net where I live so this is as good as it gets for my local, love the speed."

·PHONE POWER
11-8-13 Decided to bump up to the new speeds... got promised a killer deal if I went with phone as well... well, 7 contracts and signings later, 5 people to deal with later, with so many screw ups that I literally lost track later, it was all a VERY bad and painful joke that took forever. They kept trying to change my static IP's I have been paying (FAR TOO MUCH) for... it is practically depressing to remember. Yup... they are still comcrap.

I would go back to Sonic in a heartbeat if it had a fast service available at my local... but alas, I have little choice so I went with a business account so I could have static IP for my mail server... well, I will admit that the service from the business side is pretty decent... top tier american support on the first phone call. Have never had to escalate and truck rolls have been prompt.

It is still comcrap... stupid little stuff sometimes but all in all it keeps me running and the speeds are very good.

member for 11.1 years, 3083 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by nathill See Profile

• Location: Bloomington,Monroe,IN
Good "Service has been reliable for years"
Bad "HORRIBLE tech support - HIRE SOME PEOPLE!"
Overall "Once you're set up, great. Don't try to do anything different...."

I'm trying to get a cable card activated. It's impossible to get anything done with Comcast.

Not to bore you all with the gory details, but let me just say it's darn near impossible to get in touch with a human being, and Comcast doesn't really seem to care. I'm on hold again for God knows how long after being transferred from Customer Service and being assured I was about to get this thing solved by a real person. "Higher than normal call volume." Yeah, sure. I was sent to the wrong department, now forwarded to new department. 29 minutes in so far.

The tech I finally got in contact with was excellent and seemed very competent. I just don't understand why this should take over an hour. I did it a few years ago and it took just a few minute.

well, he said I was good to go, but I'm not. I'm going to check back in a few minutes, as he said he had to do a few more things before I was actually good to go. Report from cable card: "19700101-00:00:05 CableCARD: authentication status: authentication success, activation needed"

So I'm into this for an hour and a half, and I'm still not activated.

Came back two hours after I started the process, not activated.

I AM WORN OUT WITH COMCAST'S ABSOLUTE DISREGARD FOR THE VALUE OF MY TIME!

I will let you all know how this story ends, but my initial premise still stands. Comcast has NO desire to offer good service.

Comments:
saratoga66

join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA

Which number are you calling?

Have you tried calling Comcast dedicated Cable Card activation number instead of regular customer service? If not you should easily be able to find the number with the help of Google.

If these cards are for Tivo's you can also call Tivo support and they will do a 3 way call between them, Comcast and you.

You might also have bad cards. I have activated cable cards an 2 different houses. The first time I decided to pick one up myself but never could get it to activate. I finally had Comcast come out and they had to replace the card. The second house I needed multiple cards so decided to skip the self install and have Comcast do it. The tech brought in a stack of cards and said he usually has to try a few cards to get a working one.
nathill

join:2004-05-03
Bloomington, IN

Re: Which number are you calling?

I will try to Google a direct number. My first two calls were to Customer Service, who incorrectly routed me over to video activation, then finally routed me to cable card activation. That took an hour. The cable card guy got it authenticate, but not activate.
I'll let you know how I get along. Sounds like good advice.........

Got through after a mere 18 minute wait. Got in touch with a really nice lady, and I THINK we're good to go.
total time invested almost two hours. How hard would it be for Comcast to have a phone system that gives you options instead of making you wade through person after person to end up where you need to be? Is it the consumer's job to find the direct number for cable card activation?
My original position still stands.
Comcast assigns NO value to my time.

I must admit, your advice was great. Should not have been necessary, but it was great.

Review by sherwin See Profile

• Location: Lawrenceville,Gwinnett,GA
Good "Good internet speed, TV quality okay (some pixellation)."
Bad "Lousy equipment, takes hours and weeks to get proper equipment (still haven't seen, promised 4 times)"
Overall "At this rate, I guess I'll sacrifice internet speed just to drop Comcast."

Apparently, Comcast reps can't even fill simple orders. After 2 weeks and over 3 hours on the phone, several regular reps and 2 "supervisors" haven't been able to get a simple voice/data modem (no router, no wireless) sent to me. I "upgraded" to triple play mainly to save money. They sent me an Arris TG862G that includes a really inferior wireless router. I was trying to get the Arris put into bridge mode so I could go back to using my ASUS RT-N66U, which gave outstanding wireless coverage. When the rep couldn't manage to put it into bridge mode, the internet "troubleshooting" department rep said she'd just send me a plain voice/data modem. Instead, they set exactly what I already had. Next call they never sent the promised modem. Next call, they sent me two coax cables, a splitter, and some cable clips. In today's call, I was again promised a plain voice/data modem.

Any bets that I'll ever see one?

UPDATE: Received same wireless router I already had. After FB posting, received call from "Shanti at corporate" who said that all 6 of their people who previously promised to send EMTA or plain voice/data modem were wrong - that Comcast doesn't offer one at all. She also said I'd have to pay $99 to have them put the current Arris TG862G intop bridge mode.

Comments:
SJTech

join:2013-01-28

why waste your time

ever thought about buying your own modem, you know, instead of relying warehouse inventory

Heads up

go to any service center, tell them you need a d3-emta, !not ! a gateway

that way you get what you need
sherwin
join:2002-04-12
Buford, GA

Re: go to any service center, tell them you need a d3-emta, !not ! a gateway

I tried that. Now they claim they don't offer one at all.

jchambers28

sherwin
join:2002-04-12
Buford, GA

Re: dpc 3010

That modem doesn't support voice.

Mike G

Re: dpc 3010

Wow, while I agree that Comcast could have fixed this situation much easier, the same goes for you...Where is your resourcefulness?!?!? One of the first results that comes up on Google is the "Arris TM722G." Which is just a standard DOCSIS 3.0 eMTA. Also, it sounds like "Shanti" was trying to get a commission or something, because $100 to put a modem into bridge mode?!?! That's insanity. I'm fairly certain you can get this done for free if you talk to the right individual working in tech support. Good luck!

FrstrtdWCmcs

@comcast.net

Q: When are we going to get service that "just works"?

A: When we switch providers if we don't get it.

Review by alexstjohn See Profile

• Location: Manchester,Hillsborough,NH
Good "When it is connected it works well."
Bad "Constant maintenance issues and poor line quality contribute to regular modem resets."
Overall "If it isn't on fiber, Comcast service is poor. Most technicians are untrained to deal wit the average households technology. "

I have my own SB 6121 Motorola Modem. Since most of the equipment that Comcast puts out is the lowest end of quality I am constantly advising clients to replace the "rented" equipment for better quality. It also appears that most technicians hired to do installs and maintenance insist on blaming customers equipment for connection issues when their own customer service people will tell the customers that the signal quality is bad as reflected by the modem. Business class is no better. In attempting to deal with the local Comcast Business Class Rep., even when told to call her directly when I am at a Comcast Business Class Customer and a Client of mine doing IT work, since I am an IT technician dealing with Comcast, after 5 calls I have yet to get a call back. So much for their "referral" program. I work from home and have the Blast Extra package with basic cable since the pricing is better as bundled compared to just internet access.

Order and install was OK. Since I have no other options for high speed internet, The options don't exist.

Comments:

Review by sdm1031 See Profile

• Location: Burlington,Burlington,NJ
Good "Not really much to say"
Bad "Overpriced. Slow internet. Indian call centers. Horrible tech support."
Overall "If it weren't for the fact they are borderline a monopoly and I have no other choice, I'd have left their asses many years ago."

I've been with Comcast since Comcast first came about. Way back in the day when cable modem technology was the new thing, I was on Garden State Cable in NJ and the cable provider was @Home if we can all remember those days. Comcast rolled into the area and bought everything up like most monopolies do. So by default I was with them since the beginning. In South Jersey there is no real option besides DirectTV and if you are lucky, FIOS through Verizon. I am no so lucky because that's only in certain towns / areas. If I had the ability to leave Comcast I would have many years ago. Their tech support staff is horrid. Back in the day you would at least get to speak to an American. Now it's blatantly obvious you are dealing with a call center in India. They are of no help at all. You get the normal run around about unplugging your modem, etc when we all know that's no solution. I've worked IT for many years and I can tell you right now, in my personal experience, the problems are generally from something they've done on their end. You sit on the phone for 30 mins while they run through their ordeal of unplugging and plugging in your modem. Hard resetting. All the things you know are not going to solve your problem only to have them schedule a tech to come to your house. That requires taking off work, and for what? A problem that was their fault all along. I'm mostly speaking about my most recent issues with them pushing firmware changes to my cable modem (purchased BY me mind you) and it breaking my connectivity. I could go on for days about my issues with Comcast's internet service. When it works, it's great. 20Mbit/sec is a decent speed but not for the price. These days, with Google, and people trying to compete with Google, the price is outlandish. I pay $170 a month and all I get is basic cable with some premium channels such as science, discovery, etc. I have two cable boxes and internet. That's an absurd price in my opinion but they know they can get it from me because there is no alternative where I live. I couldn't even get Direct TV if I wanted (not that I would) because I'm an apartment dweller and we are not allowed. So the monopoly that is Concastic steals that 170 a month off me knowing full well I have no real choice but to pay it. I could go on forever about how disappointed I am with Comcast, but would all the complaining really help? No. It's just a bunch of self serving venting while I sit here using my phone for internet service because my Comcast is down once again due to yet another firmware push by them. Thanks Comcast.

Comments:

Review by bob_calder See Profile

• Location: Boynton Beach,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Fairly stable speed but not often as high as advertised"
Bad "Phone support often clueless"
Overall "Meh"

I have had Comcast for over a year. I'm a Sam Knows subscriber, so I get monthly statistics. Initial speed down was 52 mbps but it has leveled off at 35 mbps. Packet loss will be about ten percent for a couple of days a month. Upstream around 11 mbps. but it varies a lot more than the downstream. Since it is DOCSIS 3, I am guessing that channel binding in one direction or another is responsible for this.

A month or two ago the Motorola modem lost reliability and I went through three levels of support. The third service level cost me fifty dollars. This technician re-installed the software and the issue was closed. Good. However, today the modem has again disappeared off Comcast's radar and I now have a service appointment for three days hence. I feel three days is excessive. I am looking at AT&T. Comcast costs $150 for TV and Internet. AT&T will be $115 when the discount expires and it has a far better channel lineup though slower Internet at 24 mbps versus Comcast's 35 mbps.