Review by camper See Profile

• Location: Bethel,Fairfield,CT
Good "HSI service is very good, albeit expensive"
Bad "customer service is really poor"
Overall "I always hope nothing goes wrong as customer service is more destructive than helpful"

I've had Comcast as my ISP for about nine years now, as TV provider since well before Comcast came to town (going back to the TelePrompTer days). I moved to Comcast HSI from DSL. I have the "25mbps Performance Service" along with Digital Starter Service for my TV. The $135 price includes both of those services. The HSI portion is $54. I own the modem and I did the modem install myself.

The HSI service had been excellently reliable (even the IPv6 /60 prefix delegation). I do run my own caching recursive DNS server, so I am not affected by Comcast's DNS issues.

My experiences with Customer Service have been very poor, with a rare (very rare) ray of sunshine when I happen to talk with someone who is more interested in helping me than closing a trouble ticket or upselling me.

I have had a representative just hang up on me. I have had email Customer Support conversations just stop, waiting for a Comcast resolution that never happens. I have gotten bad and/or incorrect technical information from Customer Support.

On the plus side, any time a tech has visited my house, that has always been a very positive experience. Comcast Danbury seems to employ very good customer-facing techs.

Overall, currently I would rate Comcast's ISP service as "very good, but expensive".

The comcast.com website is ridiculous. Very little it shows to me regarding upgrade options makes sense. Even though I tell the site I am a current customer, it shows me offers suitable only for new customers. Maybe Comcast is trying to tell me that they want me to leave them? I wish I knew....

[update: 2014-09-10 - various updates to fix typos and clarify what I said]

member for 5 years, 1867 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sdm1031 See Profile

• Location: Burlington,Burlington,NJ
Good "When it works it's great"
Bad "Overpriced. Slow internet. Indian call centers. Horrible tech support."
Overall "If it weren't for the fact they are borderline a monopoly and I have no other choice, I'd have left their asses many years ago."

I've been with Comcast since Comcast first came about. Way back in the day when cable modem technology was the new thing, I was on Garden State Cable in NJ and the cable provider was @Home if we can all remember those days. Comcast rolled into the area and bought everything up like most monopolies do. So by default I was with them since the beginning. In South Jersey there is no real option besides DirectTV and if you are lucky, FIOS through Verizon. I am no so lucky because that's only in certain towns / areas. If I had the ability to leave Comcast I would have many years ago. Their tech support staff is horrid. Back in the day you would at least get to speak to an American. Now it's blatantly obvious you are dealing with a call center in India. They are of no help at all. You get the normal run around about unplugging your modem, etc when we all know that's no solution. I've worked IT for many years and I can tell you right now, in my personal experience, the problems are generally from something they've done on their end. You sit on the phone for 30 mins while they run through their ordeal of unplugging and plugging in your modem. Hard resetting. All the things you know are not going to solve your problem only to have them schedule a tech to come to your house. That requires taking off work, and for what? A problem that was their fault all along. I'm mostly speaking about my most recent issues with them pushing firmware changes to my cable modem (purchased BY me mind you) and it breaking my connectivity. I could go on for days about my issues with Comcast's internet service. When it works, it's great. 20Mbit/sec is a decent speed but not for the price. These days, with Google, and people trying to compete with Google, the price is outlandish. I pay $170 a month and all I get is basic cable with some premium channels such as science, discovery, etc. I have two cable boxes and internet. That's an absurd price in my opinion but they know they can get it from me because there is no alternative where I live. I couldn't even get Direct TV if I wanted (not that I would) because I'm an apartment dweller and we are not allowed. So the monopoly that is Concastic steals that 170 a month off me knowing full well I have no real choice but to pay it. I could go on forever about how disappointed I am with Comcast, but would all the complaining really help? No. It's just a bunch of self serving venting while I sit here using my phone for internet service because my Comcast is down once again due to yet another firmware push by them. Thanks Comcast.

Comments:

Review by Chuck66 See Profile

• Location: Mount Royal,Gloucester,NJ
Good "Fast, Fast"
Bad "Comcast support is awful"
Overall "It's my only choise for boradband service"

·Callcentric
Had a ton of random disconnects and packet loss when we first moved in to this new development. Myself and another neighbor lead a development wide assault on Comcast support. It was determined that our node was saturated and they scheduled us to be put on out node. Suprised the work was completed quickly and we couldn't be more happier. Our service it pretty rock solid and fast

Comments:

Review by IceCuban See Profile

• Location: Stockton,San Joaquin,CA
Good "Fast"
Bad "Disconnects often"
Overall "Unreliable"

While my Comcast connection may be fast it disconnects very often. For about a year it disconnected several times a week and in the past six months it has gotten worse; at one point I was being disconnected at least once an hour. I would also go from having 3 upstream channels to 1 after a disconnection. My problem is a very noisy upstream signal, it’s nearly always at 57dbmv. After about four phone calls to Comcast support (it took four calls because they kept disconnecting me, I should have figured) someone made a simple adjustment that seemed to fix everything, temporarily. Since that phone call I have only one 1 upstream channel and I get shorter disconnections, but they still occur, just not as frequently. Download and upload speeds have remained unchanged, but they’re both pretty useless when you have to start a download or upload over again. I’m currently submitting this over my phone because my Comcast connection is down once again.

member for 10.6 years, 3197 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by u475700 See Profile

• Location: Danbury,Fairfield,CT
Good "Internet service is usually fast"
Bad "Customer Service and technical support leaves much to be desired, pricey"
Overall "Evaluate alternative providers before choosing Comcast!"

·Callcentric
Update 08/14/14
My service has been less reliable during the last three few years while customer service is worse than I previously noted. Billing issues such as bogus charges for modem rental are not only time consuming but also frustrating to resolve.

Update 10/31/11

I find it difficult to believe that a major company like Comcast still has such poor service. Customer Service is always full of excuses. Several months ago my Internet connection was severed by a "Comcast" installer while adding service for my neighbor across the street. Customer Service claimed this wasn't Comcast's fault because the installer was actually a contractor for another company even though his truck had Comcast logos. That took three days for them to reconnect me.

The controller on the pole behind my house failed last month. Despite claims that a repair crew was already working on it, nobody showed up for almost eleven hours. The technician who finally arrived claimed that he'd just been dispatched by his depot. He mentioned that unscheduled service calls are prioritized and dispatched based on the number of calls they receive for an incident.

Service outages during inclement weather have been more frequent during the last few years. I don't know if that's because the infrastructure is just aging or it isn't maintained properly. Nevertheless, power outages are infrequent compared to Comcast outages.

I notice there are often unscheduled outages early Monday morning from forty minutes to a couple of hours in duration. Customer Service once suggested that might be the result of car accidents with utility poles because these drivers were rushing to work (at 1:00 AM in the morning?).

Their chat function is not very productive. Despite long waits, telephone calls for service are still the better option.

member for 11.1 years, 5204 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by phillychuck See Profile

• Location: Hatfield,Montgomery,PA
Good "Great speed, that's about all"
Bad "Comcast business practice, forced bundles to 'save' money. Caps are not realistic for digital family."
Overall "If they didn't offer me a promotion, I couldn't afford decent speeds."

Not happy with Comcast. Forced horrible packages, no decent prices on single services. Would avoid if there were any competition in my area.

Comments:

Review by ArrayList See Profile

• Location: Evanston,Cook,IL
Good "reliable"
Bad "expensive, do not get speeds advertised"

·RCN CABLE
I signed up for the 105 blast plus promo for $60/month for 12 months, but I've never received the speeds that were advertised. They claim that the offer never existed. I would make a bigger deal about it, but I am moving in a few weeks and will be cancelling my service at that time. The 250gb data cap is suspended for the time being and I am using my service to the fullest of it's potential while I can.

If there is anything Comcast needs to work on it would be their marketing sucks. They advertised one thing and I never got it. I got some other package and they refuse to let me have the package I signed up for at the price advertised.

Comments:
JohnShade

Extreme 105

One of the issues that I have seen is that customers are not educated about the hardware requirements to actually get 105 reliably. hardwired only-Cat 6 ethernet (not Cat 5) and a gigabyte ethernet card. Most on-board ethernet cards are 10/100's

ArrayList
DevOps
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
·RCN CABLE

Re: Extreme 105

No, I can get 105 easily over wireless with my access point(RT-N66U). The only thing holding me back is Comcast.

here is a speed test.
»www.speedtest.net/result/3666492 ··· 2067.png

my signal levels are fine also.

and no, most on-board Ethernet cards are not 10/100. Gigabit has been the standard in personal computers for the last 3+ years.
A sane approach to our federal budget: Ignore the tea party

Re: Extreme 105

Log in over at the Comcast Direct Forum. The people there are Comcast Corporate Engineering/Technical, look up Netdog

ArrayList
DevOps
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA

Re: Extreme 105

Like I said, I'm moving very soon. Not going to bother with it.
A sane approach to our federal budget: Ignore the tea party
T4K

join:2002-03-13
Fort Lauderdale, FL
You forgot to note CAT 5e delivers Gigabit speeds also.

Pearland, TX

Thanks for the feed back. I'm fairly old school and haven't dealt with high speed networking for awhile.

Review by scaredpoet See Profile

• Location: Monmouth Junction,Middlesex,NJ
Good "The speed is great, reliability is much improved"
Bad "Expensive, and the only game in town. Customer Service clueless."
Overall "Comcast lacks real competition where I live. They know this and will take advantage of it."

After a long time of suffering on DSL, I've gone back to Comcast. Their speeds have leapfrogged dramatically over what Verizon will offer me, which still hasn't made FiOS available to where I live, though residents quite literally across the street can sign up for it if they wish. So, when faced with a choice between 5Mbps DSL, and up to 100Mbps+ speeds if I want it over cable, there's unfortunately not really much of a choice to make.

I'm on Blast, the 100Mbps tier now (recently upgraded from 50Mbps). All told I'm paying $132 a month, including TV package, on a double play. I've purchased my own modem: a Motorola SBG6580. Speeds are consistently as advertised, often slightly higher.

Comcast's reliability has greatly improved since I last reviewed them. The frequent ups and downs in the past was the primary reason why I switched to DSL in the first place. Now, the service stays up for months without issue. However, when there is a problem, expect Comcast customer service to be completely clueless. If it's not some node or network-wise issue that they're already aware of, then it's likely going to take a truck roll to figure out your issue.

The bitter pill to swallow though, is the cost. With Verizon basically not bothering to compete, there really isn't another viable choice anymore for broadband internet service. Comcast is fully aware, and so you're going to pay through the nose for their service, and get locked into multi year commitments if you want any sort of break on the pricing (which by the way, doesn't last the full term of the commitment). This obviously doesn't engender any fuzzy feelings from me. The only saving grace is that as of this writing, Comcast isn't enforcing any usage caps, so rest assured I am getting my money's worth, until they tell me otherwise.

Would I recommend Comcast? Well, they've been reliable as of late, and they generally keep their promise on advertised speed. But their pricing is so high that I can't in good conscience say they're great, or even very good, in terms of value for money.

Fortunately for Comcast, I don't really HAVE to recommend them... because unless you're in one of those lucky, small enclaves where FiOS exists, you likely don't have any other choice.

Comments:

Review by thatfox See Profile

• Location: Bothell,Snohomish,WA
Good "It worked... sometimes."
Bad "Very slow speeds, frequent outages, slow streaming speeds, raised prices without our knowledge, forced out competition"
Overall "Avoid at all costs"

Comcast was unfortunately the only ISP at my last apartment that offered speeds above 20mbps and has deals with the city to keep out competition, so I went with the $50 a month 50/10 package. I purchased my own modem and did the self installation to avoid the modem rental fee. I got the connection up and running and did a speed test and got the advertised speeds and the connection worked great for a couple days...

Every day when I would get home from work the connection would slow to a crawl, at peak hours I could hardly stream a standard def youtube video and would be completely unable to stream netflix. At best I could stream netflix at 480p, at worst it would take an hour and a half to watch a 30 minute show due to buffering. I did many speed tests and it would get as slow as 0.01mbps down and 3mbps up, yes, less than one tenth of one percent of what I paid for. Over the one year that I had Comcast service I had over 10 technicians come to the apartment to take a look and see if they could solve the problem. The speed problems were continual and no technician could get the speed to go back to the advertised level for more than a few days.

Comcast is by far the worst ISP I have ever had the displeasure of using. If you have the choice to move somewhere that has another option, please do, Comcast will make your hair fall out.

Comments:

Review by Mr Matt See Profile

• Location: Eustis,Lake,FL
Good "Reliability of Service has declined, All signal levels are optimum at modem."
Bad "Constant price increases. Required customers to replace DOCSIS 2 modems with DOCSIS 3 modems"
Overall "I would recommend Comcast unless, reliable DSL service is available at lower cost."

Options: I moved to a new home and had a choice of two service providers, Comcast and Embarq. I choose Comcast because they did not require a one year service contract, Embarq did. I was required to keep service for 60 days to get the deal below.

Service: The package included Six for Six. That is Six Mb for Six Months for $19.95 per month. At the end of Six Months the rate increased to $42.95 per month. The deal also included a free Motorola SB5101 after two rebates were applied for and received. A self install kit with very high quality splitter. I also received a $100.00 gift card from Circuit City. I was not happy with the charges after the Six Month Promotional Period. At my old residence, I subscribed to a bundle which Adelphia offered for customers subscribing to the Ultimate (CATV) Programming Package. The bundle included a Six Mb Broadband connection for $24.95 per month. The regular rate for a Six Mb Broadband connection without the ultimate package was about $52.00 per month. I wish Comcast offered the same bundle.

Order Process: I checked with several electronics stores to get the best deal. It turned out that Circuit City had the beat deal. One inconvenience was that I had to order service through a distant Circuit City Store because the newer Motorola SB5101 Modem was not available at the local store. I placed the order with a salesperson and was handed a self install kit, modem and a stack of rebate forms.

My new home included a structured wiring cabinet where I installed the SB5101 modem and a D-Link DI-604 E1 wired router. I planned to install a wireless access point at a more central location later. I used a data cable already installed by the builder to establish a hardwired connection to my computer. Two days after I placed the order I placed my first call to Comcast to complete the installation. When I advised the Comcast technical representative that I was using Thunderbird as an e-mail client and did not want to run the self install CD they asked me for the MAC Address of the Modem and provisioned it. Within minutes I was on line. According to the sales agreement I own the Motorola SB5101 modem and there is no monthly charge for same.

I must admit that the prior torture I experienced trying to self install Adelphia Broadband in September 2001 helped me avoid the same problems installing Comcast Broadband in December 2006. I learned not to run the provided self install CD if possible, particularly if I was using a non-standard Browser or E-Mail client.

April 24, 2008

I have had Comcast Broadband Service for several months now. I have lost the ability to access the Internet for from Two to Three Hours several times, even though my Basic and Digital Cable Service remained unaffected. When I tried to report the problem all Comcast Telephone Lines were busy. I know that the problem was upstream because the Modem retained it's IP Address during the outage. Once or twice although I could not access Google, the only URL that I could connect to was Comcast.com. When service is functioning correctly the upstream and downstream speed have improved. I have replaced my wired router with an AZIO AER114 which is rated by the manufacture at 70Mbps WAN to LAN. I typically see the upload and download speeds shown below using Speakeasy Speed Test.

Test run at 7:45 PM

Last Result:

Download Speed: 22537 kbps (2817.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 1591 kbps (198.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

My old router limited my Download Speed to around 16Mbps. If you want to save some money and do not need a high speed connection you may want to try Embarq DSL. Unfortunately Embarq requires the subscriber to sign a one year contract or pay an additional fee of $10.00 per month.

March 11, 2009

Comcast continues to provide satisfactory service and unsatisfactory value. Unfortunately I just received a notice of a price increase for entertainment services (CATV) in Lake County, Florida as of April First. Apparently the top management at Comcast are not the brightest bulbs in the string. At a time when the United States is in a deep recession the wizards at Comcast are raising monthly fees. I also discovered that the staff at the call center are not to swift either.

When I asked what the download speed was for subscribers on the economy tier the CSR advised me that the download speed was 2.0 Mb. When I asked if the CAP was reduced for economy subscribers I was transferred to a technician that was unable to advise me about the CAP or the download speed. What a way to run a cable company. When I accessed the website and did a search on the economy service I was unable to find a reference to the CAP or the download speed or terms of service for the economy tier.

March 14, 2009

I am still trying to get a straight answer on what the download speed is if I downgrade to the economy tier. So far I located or received the following information from Comcast:

1) Googled Comcast economy tier and found references to 768K download speed in old documents.

2) Called Comcast Internet department and was told that the download speed would be 2M. I asked for a confirmation and did not receive same.

3) I searched the Comcast.net website again and found a reference to the speeds that would be available when DOCSIS 3.0 was deployed. The table indicated that the download speed for the economy tier when would be 1M.

4) I placed another call to Comcast and was advised by the CSR that in fact the download speed for the economy tier was 1.5M. The CSR referred to the economy tier as the retention tier and that it was not normally offered. When I pointed out that it was listed on the rate card that Comcast just sent me and the CSR seemed surprised that the economy tier was listed.

Apparently Comcast does not want to offer the economy tier and can successfully deter customer from ordering same by not clearly stating what the download speed is. From the information that I received from Comcast, the download speed for the economy tier might be anywhere from 768K to 2M.

Updated April 2, 2009

I finally received an answer for my question regarding the download speed for the economy by visiting their local office. I was advised by the airhead at the customer service desk that the download speed would be 768K when I asked why I received four answer for the same question particularly why I was told that the economy speed was 2Mb, 1Mb, 768K and 768K which is the same as 1Mb I did not get a clear response. Comcast customer support needs to get their act together.

I plan on looking to Embarq for DSL Service.

Another hot flash: Comcast gives less for more. In celebration for their April 1 price increase. As of April 1, 2009 Comcast has dropped most West Coast Premium Channel feeds in Lake County, Florida. The only West Coast feeds left are HBOW, MAXW and STRZ1W. I found a note in a recent mailing advising customers that the bandwidth made available by dropping those 12 channels would be used for other services. This change also gives Comcast an opportunity to pitch subscribing to DVR Service.

Edited 7/23/09

I tried to help Comcast avoid a citation from the FCC and got jerked around. On the morning of July 13 a contractor completed repairing the road in our subdivision. At the same time all of the 315Mhz Garage Door Openers near my home including mine ceased working. I thought there might be an RF leak caused by the contractor damaging a cable. If just happens that Cable Channel 39 operates between 312 and 318 Mhz. I called the FCC and filed a complaint. I was advised it might take some time to send an investigator. I called Comcast and advised them that there might be a cable leak. The representative set up an appointment for Thursday July 16. The technician arrived and the first thing she did was disconnect the drop. When that did not correct the problem if the technician was competent they would have turned the matter over to cable maintenance.

This is where the problem began. The technician tested the signal from the drop and claimed there was noise on the line. I pointed out that I had Two HD DVR's, the analog cable inputs from the televisions and a cable modem connected to the drop that should have give the technician some in site into the fact that those devices might be generating a signal that the technician might be interpreting as noise. Rather than disconnecting the DVR's, Televisions and Cable Modem and then checking the noise level again, the technician went to my structured wiring cabinet and began disconnecting the cables to all outlets. the technician claimed that there was noise on the line coming from the television in the family room. the technician then bypassed the surge protector at the television. The technician did the same thing in the master bedroom. The technician was ready to leave when I gave the them the bad news that there was another RG-6 Cable running from the family room. The technician measured the noise on that line and found it within acceptable limits. When I asked the technician to recheck the other cable from the family room while I watched the display on their test instrument they technician found that the noise level was within acceptable limits. By the time the technician finished Five of the outlets were disconnected. If I did not have the knowledge I would have had to pay someone to restore my structured wiring to it's original state.

On the other hand a maintenance technician that came by the next day was very knowledgeable and determined that there was no problem with my structured wiring and that there was no discernible leak.

I left a message asking for the Service Manager to contact me and am still waiting for a phone call.

Edited 6/24/10

Since my last review Comcast changed my IP address and since that change my download speed has declined with occasional failed downloads. DOCSIS 3.0 in not yet available in Lake County, Florida. Overall reliability of service has declined with more frequent outages. Usually complete failure with CATV and Broadband out at the same time. Some outages last up to Four Hours. See my review on Centurylink.

Edited 6/27/10

I have failed to include the following information in my review but believe that it is very important. For those of you that want broadband only consider the following. Here in Lake County, Florida, the cost for Performance Broadband without CATV Service is $57.95 per month. Limited Basic CATV Service includes CATV Channels 2 through 22 and some HD Local Channels available to those with clear QAM Tuners at a cost of $14.95 per month. If you order Performance Broadband with Limited Basic the cost is $42.95 per month for Broadband and $14.95 per month for Limited Basic for a total cost of $57.90 per month. Check your local Comcast price list to see if this solution fits your needs.

Edited 2/17/2011

Comcast service has continued to deteriorate with most downloads slower than 384KBPS. I wonder if they are throttling my connection? Whenever I download a series of large files by the end I find my speed has slowed to 60 to 120KBPS. I just updated a Net Book that I own with 51 Windows Updates, Acrobat Reader update, Thunderbird update, when I finally tried to download the latest version of Open Office my speed never exceeded 100KBPS. It well over an hour to download the entire 154MB file. Although Comcast claims that they will be introducing DOCSIS 3.0 they have not deployed it in this area. It appears that they are all wind and no rain. To bad that there isn't a better ISP in this area.

Edit January 7, 2012

Comcast CATV:

Comcast has decided to raise the price for CATV service by increasing the number of channels that require a STB of some kind. The latest screwing over is the conversion of extended basic channels to encrypted digital transmission. This change necessitates the use of digital adapters for each television. Although Comcast currently offers Two at 0 monthly charge I have 5 Bedrooms and would have to pay $2.00 per month for additional adapters. This really eliminates one of the features that differentiates Comcast from DBS, requiring an STB for each television. I have televisions installed in three bedrooms that are NTSC/QAM compatible. At least guests could receive channels 2 through 99 Plus the unencrypted QAM Channels. This is simply a price increase. Eventually there will some BS that Comcast can no longer provide digital adapters at no charge. They might find customers switching to CenturyLink Prism or DBS. In the last Six Months I have seen a number of homes that now have DBS antennas or temporary wiring for Prism.

Comcast HSI:

It appears that Comcast will not upgrade our area to DOCSIS 3.0, although I was told by a Comcast CSR to expect an email soon (months ago) notifying of the upgrade that never happened.

CenturyLink is very aggressive in attempting to have Comcast Customers convert to CenturyLink DSL. They claim to be able to offer 25Mbps down in my sub division. Some Comcast customers are moving in the other direction and subscribing to CenturyLinks $14.95 per month 1.5Mbps service to save money.

Updated 1/21/12

About a year ago I was advised that DOCSIS 3.0 would soon be available. It now appears that Lake County Florida is one of those areas that will not get DOCSIS 3.0 anytime soon. I just checked the Comcast Website and found that the only speeds that are available to me on the website are Performance 12M down and 2M up or Blast with 16M down and 2M up.

Updated 7/11/14

DOCSIS 3 Modems now required. I had to replace my DOCSIS 2.0 at my own expense. Speed has increased to 28M Down and 6M Up as tested 10 Minutes Ago. Comcast is constantly increasing prices even though service improvements do not benefit most customers and are not needed.

If you need the services of a technician keep an eye on them while they are in your home. They cannot resist reconfiguring your network even if you are not having a problem with it. One jerk replaced a high isolation splitter with one of their crap splitters while I wasn't looking. The splitter in question was included with a self install kit and included a special feature that provided higher than normal isolation to prevent the upstream signal from the modem from overloading a TV set connected to the other port. Furthermore a Technician replaced a 2.4 GHz splitter connected between the STB and antenna input on the TV which I was planning to use to install a MoCA system. The technician replaced it with one of their cheap 1GHz splitters. Comcast Technicians do not seem to understand that all wiring in this house was installed by the builder and is my property.

member for 7.1 years, 2035 visits, last login: a few hours ago