Review by Central PA See Profile

• Location: Aspers,Adams,PA
Good "Download speed when not congested"
Bad "Ping, Jitter and Upload Speed"
Overall "Comcast provides a service here at a premium price."

Did not review Comcast Cable's Pre Sales or Installation because these were provided years ago by Adelphia.

Comments:

Review by murph12 See Profile

• Location: Jackson,Jackson,MI
Good "Decent Installers just young guys"
Bad "Comcast is terribleAND NOW EXTORTING IN APRIL 2014"
Overall "crap comcast cannot' do get fast cheap net in this countrty (Is the USA all medidcure now in everything?)"

·T-Mobile US
May 7, 2014, update - Comcast Collections and Audit Manager JAMES, has not sent me the 2010 Bills that He used to end my comcast Cable/HSI service and it has been a month now. This is the worst company in America for sure with people like this working in Management. If A Bill was not sent from 2010, and it is now May 2014, Comcast should, at the least, be concillatory as they did not bring it to the attention of the customer in 4 years, that is poor service.

April, 2014 UPDATE -- Comcast has resorted to a new low with AUDIT AND COLLECTIONS DEOT. that sems to create "old bills" when customers move, then they demand immediate payment (even though they sent no bill) or they will (and do) cancel the install at your new address!

USE THIS AS A OPPORTUNITY to find other ISPs and choose anyone BUT comcast as We as customers cannot reward such a criminal organization with such terrible service any more. I am done with them even if I have to use WiFi and VPNs.

COMCAST Services SE Michigan -- moving, Modem, and overall review -- October 2012. Edit Add Feb 10, 2013. Still expensive, and not fast

+++++++++++++++

2014 UPDATE -- Comast still too slow, and too expensive (for mediocre service) connecting to the Backbone)! Google Fiber rolls out prove beyond doubt they CAN offer speed for a reasonable price but only if forced to do so, by competition preferably or a law and tax issues otherwise (they surely will not do it unless forced) -- which is exactly, EXACTLY what We need in this Country (and State of Michigan) to get the economy going !! Competition for more connections to the Backbone with 10 GB speeds so that We home and business can have 1 GIG service for $50 month (and they would still make a incredible profits).

SO next time you talk to you, Us, the Voters, tell your Reps. and Senators if they want your vote to make a law the USA main ISPs that offer Home/Business Internet Service, they HAVE TO offer 1 GB service for $50 month or less, or face increased tax, or something *(better yet perhaps offer Startups the ability to compete without massive investment).

+++++++++++++++

From Early adopter (see below) of tech, mashups, mobile (Android, mainly), and Social -- use HSI (and need Gigabit Services) to upload programs, apps and other digital information Online.

As few recent reviews exist of Comcast (10/2012) in the local area -(Jackson, Ingham, Washtenaw) Counties I specifically wanted to review Comcast internet (HSI), Installation, speeds, modems, reliability, latency, and Prices.

First and most important: THE future is being held back in the USA by the lack of REAL High Speed Internet, known as Gigabit (Google is building Google Fiber, which is Gigabit --- so the US is behind. We need to do it ourselves. This is literally holding US, the Country, (and the World for that matter) back and from re-sparking the economy of 2000-2008- WE need Gigabit right now -- if you know the changes the "net" brought in the 1990s the prosperity, and opportunity -- then you know what Gigabit speeds, 1000 times faster than now --then 1000s times the prosperity is being held back!

OK - many do not know the same HDTV you get on cable is available FREE Over-the-Air now, exactly like on cable, all one needs is the right Antenna as digital TV is there -- or it's not. So I am using a mix of Internet and over-the-air, until I end cable TV soon just want to work the issues out before I save some $50 a month (probably more next week as the bill keeps going up).

I like others have started to cut the (TV) cable cord. and shifted towards internet service bringing TV programming to my DVR -- but PRICE is important as Netflix proved and now is only $8 month. But it does not provide networks, so that I get through over-the-air or Antenna.

With DVRs and other time shifting, for the most part have programming We want, when and where We want it -- even HBO is starting to provide "go" programming (but price is still an issue). The Cable (HBO) provides some of the best, cutting edge programming but I hope soon they will provide a pure internet option. Low Price matters. It is what brings Wide scale adoption.

"CUTTING THE CABLE CORD" BUT HAD TO MOVE FIRST:

COMCAST is a "main" provider of reasonably priced residential High Speed Internet (HSI) service in SE Michigan, widely available and mostly reliable -- BUT the speeds are slow in general (but great compared to the current options so in essence it is the only game in town).

We need Broadband Internet competition (as it seems other providers cannot seem to get critical mass and provide the same services, but I could be wrong). Mediocre Internet speeds of around 10 MB is now the norm for the lower price tiers I have currently, and although I want better speeds, it is the best available.

Now Google Gigabit or "Fiber" is only going to Kansas City so far -- Verizon FIOS proves the best price is around Fifty Dollars ($50) a month which they provide 50 MBps

»www.broadband.gov/plan/

We want more speed (as speed brings innovation) and FIOS is not available in SE Michigan. Google Fiber, or any gigabit fast Internet Service needs to be available in all of the USA as all Americans need to have (and need to demand) this the same as any other Utility - which it has become. Comcast does seem to provide 10 MB down, and around 1 MB up.

With the "boost" download speeds of 30 MBps is the service from Comcast in SE Michigan.

Moore's Law (double speed, half the price every 18 months or so) has not applied to Home Internet Service, IMHO, because the infrastructure was SOLD -- Our Government at work for US again

In any case We do have 0 to 30 MBps service from Comcast HIGH SPEED INTERNET with basic cable for about $80 a month here in SE MIchigan including basic shows on cable, but NO DVR..

Moving went well from Comcast "move" service online -- and HSI and CableTV service was moved on the day it was scheduled. Comcast has advertised two-hour appointments but I still wasted an entire day with it waiting for the installers, doing the work after they left, and having the new service being online for everything like it was at the former address.

As many Families want to lessen the ever increasing Cable bill, I too have started to "cut the cord" of CableTV -- as We can get HDTV over the air (in other words, with an Antenna) in SE Michigan in addition to Comcast Cable but you do need the TV that has a tuner in it or another set top box.

So I purchased a newer model Digital UHF and VHF antenna and used my existing equipment in Home including Digital tuners, HDTV, a generic DVR -- and for the cutting the cable start a Roku and BluRay DVD Player with Internet Apps built into it (thjese provide TV programs free after the box, which is less than $100 each, is paid for -- the only ongoing cost is the internet or Comcast HSI, which I have anyway for "internet service.".

These ROKU and APPS are sometimes called "media devices" and have come out in the past two years or so with newer ones released and being sold in stores every day (be cautious, as many are NOT ready to do what most people want them to do -- replace cable TV completely) that only need Broadband or HS Internet service for programing. The Blu-Ray includes an ethernet cable port, and included in it if you put HSI into the Ethernet through a Home router, is the "apps" provide Netflix, Vudu, and some other program names. It is NOT like watching traditional cable, so it takes some time and get use to them, and the extra effort needed to find, watch, and hook into (Register, some free, some charge) shows -- although they sometimes do have the regular network TV Shows (e.g. "House") they are usually NOT on at the same time the first run showing on traditional Networks (ABC, NBC, CBS).

This obviously causes problems for some, including myself, as that is the reason I am still paying for basic cable (the favorite shows).

To lower the monthly costs (which IS a consideration) requires ending cable TV programming charges completely which I have NOT done yet. I also enjoy other programming (such as BBC) not usually available and the "apps" and Roku provide these shows and so far the 10-30 MBps service has worked well for them, no problems usually but they do take time to "load" (5-10 seconds). As an "early adopter" to these "media devices" they are great and use the same HSI we already have -- but I wonder at what point the will need more Bandwidth? The programs or apps are exponentially growing and so many are available this is not the place to do anything more than say there are thousands! Comcast HSI enables Us to bring these programs into the Home, with the "apps" -- If possible your tech-savvy Son, Daughter or Friend could set up for you but this defeats the purpose I believe but most are free so not a big deal !

Modems is the next issue as it was the Motorola Surfboard SB6120 which Comcast charges me $7 month rental fee. The only "plus" to this is they own it so if it fails they have to replace it free. I am going to purchase one but of course, which one is the issue.

Moving Cable installation itself was easy but it cost $30 install fee. The value of a network interface, the RG6 cable, and splitters is worth it but Comcast has certainly got to do this better - We used to have to sit around all day waiting on the Installer (without even a call) -- this time they did call and let me know they were on the way. I was fortunate to get good installers (two of them). They were good, and Comcast even started putting up plastic network boxes on the Outside House Wall (similar to network interface used by phone companies).

SPEEDS: Comcast HSI Internet speeds IMHO, are the reason I am with Comcast as compared to DSL, or other services *although see above about Gigabit*. The Service and Speeds are mostly reliable and the price is reasonable but given Comcast loves to confuse Consumers with Marketing and Pricing nonsense (triple double play, service speed/reliability (almost the same confusion attempts as with Flat-screen HDTVs).

It would behoove Most Consumers to find, or hire, someone who is tech-savvy to advise them who is NOT selling them anything - on what to order. A close friend or someone to do research online for HSI specials is almost required as they do run "specials" all the time, so do that before the order as it COULD save a considerable amount given all the nonsense marketing (mixed in with actual specs). Get someone who ACTUALLY knows Computers, Tech and doing online searches (vs. people who "say" they do but could not determine what site is comcast, and which sites are NOT comcast.

SECURITY. make sure if you have wirless your WPA2 personal or similar is on and a password set first thing. Otherwise you might spend a $1000 or Two of hard earned money and get stuck with crap that everyone is able to get into as easy as sitting in front of your House. Same for non-wireless as the firewall and anti-virus is required today. Not having them is akin to leaving your front door open and Comcast includes some security programs but I do not use them so cannot comment - but they are included free as constant guard so USE THEM. If you do NOT have a Son, Friend, Work person, that is "Tech-Savvy" person to double check this, others are easily found and available at most computer shops. it is well worth PAYING if you do not know what to do, or seek out a business (which do exist but not in small communities it seems) to secure your HSI. At a minimum use the Constant Guard included with Comcast HSI.

Comments:

Rick4769

join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

Comcast/Time Warner Merger

Once I heard that Comcast was going to purchase Time Warner Cable, I immediately call Verizon FIOS. I was a Time Warner Cable subscriber for over 10 years. I want no part of Comcast or Charter.

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
join:2008-05-20
Detroit, MI

Re: Comcast/Time Warner Merger

there's Fios in Buffalo?

Review by kornholio See Profile

• Location: Denver,Denver,CO
Good "consistent, no suprises"
Bad "high cost, low quality of service"
Overall "expensive and smarmy but the only game in town"

No other broadband ISP available without phone line.
No options available for speed/price. Speed dwindling but price increased.
slow, always nibbling away at quality of services (dropped usenet w/o announcement, etc)
Order and install was very good as have been the times I needed service calls at my location.
Support is not as good as in years past.

Comments:

Review by Kathy_9 See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "No service issues"
Bad "High Price"
Overall "The service is good but I am always in the market for a lower price"

We started with TCI Cable and evolved to ATT and finally Comcast for cable TV. Their channel selection and picture quality is okay; nothing to rave about.

We had Comcast Digital phone service and experienced no problems with it, but about a year and a half ago was informed that Comcast was discontinuing their old Digital service and insisting customers either switch to Comcast Digital Voice or find another provider - kind of high handed attitude. We now have the CDV and so far no issues.

Also, have Comcast HSI as part of the bundle (top tier) and I'm satisfied with the quality but feel the prices are way too high, which detracts from my overall opinion of Comcast.

Any time I've called the local number to troubleshoot an issue, I have found the reps to be professional and knowledgeable, so I would give Comcast high marks there.

One big negative is when I signed up for the bundle, I was told my monthly cost was good for two years, but at the end of one year, the price increased. So I went from $199 plus taxes, etc. to $245 and that's after the so called $20 loyalty discount.

So, I'll be very interested in reading the reviews on Verizon FIOS

4/9/11 - just received one of those friendly nudges from the site reminding me to update my review. So, I thought I'd share my latest Java Speed Test results: 110 kbps down 5094 kbps up. Keep in mind I'm paying for 2000 kbps down 16000 kbps up.

2/19/12 - latest Java Speed Test results: 19288 Kbps down 5018 Kbps up but results vary widely depending on the test site you use.

9/21/13 - I recently called Comcast to ask how I could reduce cost as my monthly triple play had climbed from $199 to $245 to $266 to $281. The rep I spoke with was very helpful, agreed I was paying too much and was able to repackage my bundle down to $180.

My most recent speed test = »www.speedtest.net/my-result/2983136525

4/17/14 - just received an email from Comcast that states -" We increased the speed of your Blast Internet service! You now have download speeds up to 105 Mbps and upload speeds up to 10 Mbps." So, I thought I'd power cycle and test it. Here are the results.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3445753555

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3445770704

member for 9.6 years, 2255 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Scuba1 See Profile

• Location: Windsor,Hartford,CT
Good "Very dependable and consistent so far. Triple play seems to be working well."
Bad "$$$$$$$"
Overall "Beats DSL in my area."

Went tp triple play 5 months ago. The installer had someone in training with him, not sure if that made a difference or not. My number was ported with no issues. The services came up fine.

Now I'd like to see more HD content but other than that, no issues so far.

9/16/10 Upgraded to 50/10 tear 1 month ago. Seems snappy and stable.

4/11/2014 Currently on the 105/20 tier. During a support call tech support reflashed my modem to the wrong config. It took 2 weeks and 5 calls for them to correct their mistake.

member for 12.8 years, 3826 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by RogerSC See Profile

• Location: Santa Cruz,Santa Cruz,CA
Good "They're in Santa Cruz"
Bad "They're in Santa Cruz"
Overall "Terrible."

Update 3/27/2014: Things are just cooking along here. We're now getting 25Mbps on the Blast! tier for the cost of what every one else pays for 50Mbps. Whoopee! Go Comcast! Love to see them regulated. We should be paying 1/2 of what people that are getting 50Mbps are paying, but no, they get away with whatever they can via their virtual monopoly here. Keep getting solicitations for "high-speed" DSL from AT&T, and then when I go look the best I can get is 768Kbps. No where near the 3Mbps that I was able to get 5 years ago from PacBell/AT&T.

Original review: I'm paying for 12Mb/s, get about 10Mb/s in the morning, usually, here on the west side of Santa Cruz, CA. As the afternoon wears on, after about 3PM, the speed really dives. By evening I'm usually sitting at 1.5-3Mb/s. Just terrible. They won't tell me if they're working on any improvements, all they can do is send out a tech, but it apparently isn't a technical problem. They obviously need to improve their infrastructure around here, but don't seem to have any moral compunctions about taking my money and delivering CRAP service.

I'd dump them in a NY minute if I could get broadband or DSL over 6Mb/s, but very little competition at the high end here. I can pay DSLextreme $15 for 3Mb/s, or AT&T for 3Mb/s, but don't want that. Really pisses me off that all I can do is pay for decent internet service, but can't get it.

Anyone having better luck that me on the west side of Santa Cruz??? Any suggestions? I was looking at the Exede satellite internet thing, but it is expensive, and lots of latency despite advertising decent speed.

Comments:
JohnShade

Blast.

You need to be using a Docsis Version 3 specification modem/emta/gateway that is hardwired to get 50Mbps. The older version 2 devices can't run that hard

PANTHER0820

@comcast.net

Re: Blast.

Actually the Docsis 3.0 modems can handle upto 300Mbps Downstream. I live in the HARRISBURG,PA Area and for the last 12 months I was getting 50Mbps, now they're in the process of doubling speeds to 105 at NO added cost as of April 1st... on www.speedtest.net my last read was 118mbps down, 11.5 upstream. Once they update the nodes in other areas those areas will get it too.

Re: Blast.

That's cool

Review by UGAJoe See Profile

• Location: Loganville,Walton,GA
Good "Great Product (X1 Platform in Atlanta Market)"
Bad "Horrible Customer Service/Installation"
Overall "If you can get it installed and WORKING, you won't beat it."

Ordering Process:

I was an existing double play customer. The website prompted me to upgrade my service to an X1 Triple Play. I chose the X1 Complete Package for $199. It is their highest priced triple-play package and includes the X1 DVR and service on up to 3 additional TVs. I went through the ordering process, picked my installation time, and finalized my order. I received an order confirmation which showed that I was going to receive free professional installation.

After I clicked submit on my order, the online ordering system said the order had to be reviewed and completed by an online representative. It connected me in a chat window. The representative quickly confirmed my order and told me that installation would be $100. I told him that I had an order confirmation showing free professional installation. I even offered to email it to him. He refused to honor the offer but told me that he would waive $40 of the installation fee. When I refused, he provided me with a number for "promotions" to call. The rep in promotions also refused to honor the deal but offered to waive $60.

I emailed the "We_can_help" email address and made a false advertising complaint. I forwarded a copy of my order showing free installation. The rep that responded finally honored the deal that I signed up for. He set up an installation time of 1-3 PM the following Saturday.

Installation:

As I said above, the installation time frame was 1-3 PM Saturday. At 3 PM, I received a call saying that the installation tech was delayed 30-50 minutes due to a problematic order. I was told he would arrive by 4 PM. At 3:30 PM, I received a call that stated no tech would be coming at all. They rescheduled for Sunday 1-3 PM.

On Sunday at 3 PM, there was still no sign of a technician and I didn't even get a courtesy call telling me there would be a delay. However, at 3:30 PM, a technician finally showed up to install. He profusely apologized and said he had come out of his area to pick up my job because they were so backed up on installations in my area.

It took him about two hours to install. He installed a professional looking "house box" on the side of my house. In the box, he installed an amplifier because he said my signal would be too low with four rooms hooked up. He also installed a filter that he said was required for X1 service. From there, he came inside and spent about two hours hooking up the new DVR and three receivers. He was polite and professional. More importantly, he didn't leave until the X1 boxes were all up and running.

Internet:

Internet speed advertised in the package is 105 Mbps. Unfortunately, I haven't received anything close. Most of my speed tests show 50 Mbps/10 Mbps. The latency is usually always less than 40 ms. It is commonly under 15 ms. This is no where close to the advertised speed but still almost ten times faster than available DSL speeds in my area.

Phone:

No complaints about phone service. You can't tell that it is VOIP. It works as well as a regular POTS line. Unfortunately, Comcast has declared that they are no longer providing a battery backup for their eMTA. This means that if the power goes out, we will lose phone service. However, with the phones that we currently use, the base requires power so it really isn't much of an issue.

Cable TV:

All I can say is WOW! The Graphical User Interface (GUI) on the X1 platform blows the old cable boxes out of the water. There is absolutely no comparison. It shows pictures of the movies you are about to watch. It shows you the rotten tomato ratings. It reminds me a lot of DirecTV's on-demand interface but a lot cleaner and less cluttered.

The built-in apps are cool but not sure if they are practical. However, the main DVR has built in Facebook, Instagram, Pandora, etc. All of the boxes have weather, traffic, horoscopes, and some other built-ins. Caller ID

It auto-tunes to HD channels if one is available for the channel you are watching. It is capable of up to 1080p resolution.

The DVR is MUCH smaller. The other boxes are roughly the same size at the last generation HD boxes so not much difference.

Parental controls are very user friendly. Select TV and movie ratings that you want to block and set a pin. You can have a purchase PIN to prevent unauthorized purchases. You can block specific ratings. You can also block adult titles from view.

The remote control is great. It is RF based instead of IR. Therefore, you don't even have to point the remote at the box and it works. It also seamlessly controls my TV volume, power, etc.

The only downsides we've found:

1. When the box disconnects, it takes a while to connect to the system. We have not had any random outages but I imagine if the power flickers we'll be off a few minutes before we regain service.

2. The guide occasionally drops out. Last night for about an hour, when we hit the guide button, nothing displayed. However, it came back on its own some time last night.

3. I tried to use the X1 app for my Ipad mini. It said we couldn't use it because we didn't have a cloud-based DVR in our market.

3/19/2014 UPDATE

Installation date was 3/16/14. By 3/18/14, one X1 receiver had already bit the dust. After several hours trying to get the problem fixed, they told me I needed a tech. The next tech appointment is 3/22/2014. So... After the ordeal of getting it installed, we lose service on one TV less than 48 hours later. They then are going to take four plus days to get it fixed.

Comments:
doliver1616

join:2011-05-20

Similar experience

It took 3 weeks after I switched from double play to triple play and I didn't even change the TV equipment. I have found that most of the customer service phone reps don't have a clue but the tech support phone folks are pretty good. I finally had to go to an Xfinity store to pick up a phone modem.

I'm about 50 miles from you and getting 120 mb on the same tier as you (direct cable from the modem to computer. If you are testing through a router that maybe causing the speed drop, mine did.

Extreme 105

Speed guaranteed for hardwired over Ethernet cat 6 cable to a gigabit Ethernet card

Review by ebony716 See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Cobb,GA
Good "Friendly customer service"
Bad "Unreliable service"
Overall "Not recommended for work at home users."

I'm so angry I can't even describe it at length. Suffice it to say, I've experienced everything from throttled speeds to daily outages to currently 18 hrs without internet or phone. They tell me it's a system wide problem in my area. Apparently it's a problem they haven't been able to fix in months. Stay away if you live in the E. Cobb/Woodstock/Roswell area.

Update: Two weeks later, I've had outages at least twice each week. Just got through another one. I haven't heard any explanations about what's going on, and there aren't any comparable ISPs in my area. So basically I'm stuck with Comcast - they have a monopoly on this market.

Comments:

Illuminati

@172.56.26.x

Iwish Comcast become out of bussniss

Worst company ever i wish new companies appear to the market not honest and have a bater costumert service

Review by jackintosh11 See Profile

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
Good "I don't know, it... works sometimes?"
Bad "Horrible reliability, bad customer service, horrible value, not great services"
Overall "Only get it if you have no other choice"

I just ordered FiOS and am extremely glad. The speeds with Comcast are decent at best. They are very unreliable, and they give little credit for outages. They are also expensive, the TV interface is bad, and their CS reps are either in India, or are chosen out of the dumbest americans. One of them encouraged me to switch to Verizon. I had a modem from them from 2001 until 2011, and they refused to give me a new one. I had to buy a new one out of pocket. In the end, don't get it unless you have no other option.

Comments:
riffin1

join:2013-12-17
Saint Paul, MN

Wow

How do you even pay that much?
mist668

join:2011-02-15
Middleburg, PA

Re: Wow

I agree. What the hell could you have for $245 a month... and even so why???

Review by digital_one See Profile

• Location: Lake Worth,Palm Beach,FL
Good "nothing but greed"
Bad "everything"
Overall "get something else"

12/2 business