Review by tweakt See Profile

• Location: Winthrop,Suffolk,MA
Good "Reasonably fast and reliable."
Bad "Ordering was painful. Constant threat of data caps. Not cheap"
Overall "It's the only option in this area"

The only other option in this area is ~5 mbps Verizon DSL and they weren't taking new orders at the time (at capacity). So Comcast it was.

Ordering was a nightmare. I couldn't get the online forms to waive the installation fee so I called. The agents repeatedly tried to strong arm me into higher packages. They wouldn't waive the installation fee no matter how much I asked (illegal?) on the claim that the tech would need to make changes at the termination point. He didn't. I had my own modem already. All he did was call in the mac address and connect the DVR he brought. He wasn't in a cherry picker so there was no intention of him climbing up there.

Using the service has been problem free. The speed is reasonable. There may have been a few outages but nothing prolonged and nothing that couldn't have just been temporary modem/router problems.

The onscreen guide is dated and definitely isn't optimized for widescreen HD. The FIOS guide has this beat by a decade.

Data caps have been suspended in this locale but there is the constant threat that they will be re-implemented.

All in all, it works fine, which is good since there isn't another option, but it's clear that Comcast is not concerned with customer satisfaction.

Comments:

crystalDC

Service from HELL

I've had nothing but issues from Comcast. I live in DC and if it's not the service it's the billing. For the past 4 months I had to be issued over $50 in credits every month for wrongful billing charges or bad service interruptions. It's impossible to enjoy something I have to consistently micro manage. the worse thing is it's virtually my only option in my area. What can I do? I've taken all the steps I can to get other options. I promise I spend at least 90-200 minutes a wk on the phone with comcast for some kind of issue. I'm at my wits end and will revert to no cable as I did in 2011.

Review by fantom1979 See Profile

• Location: Sterling Heights,Macomb,MI
Good "Fast internet for cable, good channel selection"
Bad "Very expensive compared to WOW or Dish"
Overall "Only choice if you want fast internet and MLB/NFL channels"

Only choice if you want fast internet and NFL/MLB Network.

EDIT: You can now get NFL Network/RedZone from WOW. As for the comment left by anony1, of course you can get Sunday Ticket from Direct TV, but you missed the *AND* in my post. As far as I know, Direct TV does not offer fast internet.

Comments:

anony1

-1 recommendation

NFL channels?

NFL Channels? Really?
NFL Sunday Ticket is still an exclusive DirecTV product.
Argh!

Review by Veloslave See Profile

• Location: Martinez,Contra Costa,CA
Good "Pretty darn fast.... smokes DSL"
Bad "This business account is far better than consumer... but it is still Comcrap"
Overall "No Sonic.net where I live so this is as good as it gets for my local, love the speed."

·PHONE POWER
11-8-13 Decided to bump up to the new speeds... got promised a killer deal if I went with phone as well... well, 7 contracts and signings later, 5 people to deal with later, with so many screw ups that I literally lost track later, it was all a VERY bad and painful joke that took forever. They kept trying to change my static IP's I have been paying (FAR TOO MUCH) for... it is practically depressing to remember. Yup... they are still comcrap.

I would go back to Sonic in a heartbeat if it had a fast service available at my local... but alas, I have little choice so I went with a business account so I could have static IP for my mail server... well, I will admit that the service from the business side is pretty decent... top tier american support on the first phone call. Have never had to escalate and truck rolls have been prompt.

It is still comcrap... stupid little stuff sometimes but all in all it keeps me running and the speeds are very good.

Comments:

Review by nathill See Profile

• Location: Bloomington,Monroe,IN
Good "Service has been reliable for years"
Bad "HORRIBLE tech support - HIRE SOME PEOPLE!"
Overall "Once you're set up, great. Don't try to do anything different...."

I'm trying to get a cable card activated. It's impossible to get anything done with Comcast.

Not to bore you all with the gory details, but let me just say it's darn near impossible to get in touch with a human being, and Comcast doesn't really seem to care. I'm on hold again for God knows how long after being transferred from Customer Service and being assured I was about to get this thing solved by a real person. "Higher than normal call volume." Yeah, sure. I was sent to the wrong department, now forwarded to new department. 29 minutes in so far.

The tech I finally got in contact with was excellent and seemed very competent. I just don't understand why this should take over an hour. I did it a few years ago and it took just a few minute.

well, he said I was good to go, but I'm not. I'm going to check back in a few minutes, as he said he had to do a few more things before I was actually good to go. Report from cable card: "19700101-00:00:05 CableCARD: authentication status: authentication success, activation needed"

So I'm into this for an hour and a half, and I'm still not activated.

Came back two hours after I started the process, not activated.

I AM WORN OUT WITH COMCAST'S ABSOLUTE DISREGARD FOR THE VALUE OF MY TIME!

I will let you all know how this story ends, but my initial premise still stands. Comcast has NO desire to offer good service.

Comments:
saratoga66

join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA

Which number are you calling?

Have you tried calling Comcast dedicated Cable Card activation number instead of regular customer service? If not you should easily be able to find the number with the help of Google.

If these cards are for Tivo's you can also call Tivo support and they will do a 3 way call between them, Comcast and you.

You might also have bad cards. I have activated cable cards an 2 different houses. The first time I decided to pick one up myself but never could get it to activate. I finally had Comcast come out and they had to replace the card. The second house I needed multiple cards so decided to skip the self install and have Comcast do it. The tech brought in a stack of cards and said he usually has to try a few cards to get a working one.
nathill

join:2004-05-03
Bloomington, IN

Re: Which number are you calling?

I will try to Google a direct number. My first two calls were to Customer Service, who incorrectly routed me over to video activation, then finally routed me to cable card activation. That took an hour. The cable card guy got it authenticate, but not activate.
I'll let you know how I get along. Sounds like good advice.........

Got through after a mere 18 minute wait. Got in touch with a really nice lady, and I THINK we're good to go.
total time invested almost two hours. How hard would it be for Comcast to have a phone system that gives you options instead of making you wade through person after person to end up where you need to be? Is it the consumer's job to find the direct number for cable card activation?
My original position still stands.
Comcast assigns NO value to my time.

I must admit, your advice was great. Should not have been necessary, but it was great.

Review by sherwin See Profile

• Location: Lawrenceville,Gwinnett,GA
Good "Good internet speed, TV quality okay (some pixellation)."
Bad "Lousy equipment, takes hours and weeks to get proper equipment (still haven't seen, promised 4 times)"
Overall "At this rate, I guess I'll sacrifice internet speed just to drop Comcast."

Apparently, Comcast reps can't even fill simple orders. After 2 weeks and over 3 hours on the phone, several regular reps and 2 "supervisors" haven't been able to get a simple voice/data modem (no router, no wireless) sent to me. I "upgraded" to triple play mainly to save money. They sent me an Arris TG862G that includes a really inferior wireless router. I was trying to get the Arris put into bridge mode so I could go back to using my ASUS RT-N66U, which gave outstanding wireless coverage. When the rep couldn't manage to put it into bridge mode, the internet "troubleshooting" department rep said she'd just send me a plain voice/data modem. Instead, they set exactly what I already had. Next call they never sent the promised modem. Next call, they sent me two coax cables, a splitter, and some cable clips. In today's call, I was again promised a plain voice/data modem.

Any bets that I'll ever see one?

UPDATE: Received same wireless router I already had. After FB posting, received call from "Shanti at corporate" who said that all 6 of their people who previously promised to send EMTA or plain voice/data modem were wrong - that Comcast doesn't offer one at all. She also said I'd have to pay $99 to have them put the current Arris TG862G intop bridge mode.

Comments:
SJTech

join:2013-01-28

why waste your time

ever thought about buying your own modem, you know, instead of relying warehouse inventory

Heads up

go to any service center, tell them you need a d3-emta, !not ! a gateway

that way you get what you need
sherwin
join:2002-04-12
Buford, GA

Re: go to any service center, tell them you need a d3-emta, !not ! a gateway

I tried that. Now they claim they don't offer one at all.

jchambers28

sherwin
join:2002-04-12
Buford, GA

Re: dpc 3010

That modem doesn't support voice.

Mike G

Re: dpc 3010

Wow, while I agree that Comcast could have fixed this situation much easier, the same goes for you...Where is your resourcefulness?!?!? One of the first results that comes up on Google is the "Arris TM722G." Which is just a standard DOCSIS 3.0 eMTA. Also, it sounds like "Shanti" was trying to get a commission or something, because $100 to put a modem into bridge mode?!?! That's insanity. I'm fairly certain you can get this done for free if you talk to the right individual working in tech support. Good luck!

FrstrtdWCmcs

@comcast.net

Q: When are we going to get service that "just works"?

A: When we switch providers if we don't get it.

Review by alexstjohn See Profile

• Location: Manchester,Hillsborough,NH
Good "When it is connected it works well."
Bad "Constant maintenance issues and poor line quality contribute to regular modem resets."
Overall "If it isn't on fiber, Comcast service is poor. Most technicians are untrained to deal wit the average households technology. "

I have my own SB 6121 Motorola Modem. Since most of the equipment that Comcast puts out is the lowest end of quality I am constantly advising clients to replace the "rented" equipment for better quality. It also appears that most technicians hired to do installs and maintenance insist on blaming customers equipment for connection issues when their own customer service people will tell the customers that the signal quality is bad as reflected by the modem. Business class is no better. In attempting to deal with the local Comcast Business Class Rep., even when told to call her directly when I am at a Comcast Business Class Customer and a Client of mine doing IT work, since I am an IT technician dealing with Comcast, after 5 calls I have yet to get a call back. So much for their "referral" program. I work from home and have the Blast Extra package with basic cable since the pricing is better as bundled compared to just internet access.

Order and install was OK. Since I have no other options for high speed internet, The options don't exist.

Comments:

Review by bob_calder See Profile

• Location: Boynton Beach,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Fairly stable speed but not often as high as advertised"
Bad "Phone support often clueless"
Overall "Meh"

I have had Comcast for over a year. I'm a Sam Knows subscriber, so I get monthly statistics. Initial speed down was 52 mbps but it has leveled off at 35 mbps. Packet loss will be about ten percent for a couple of days a month. Upstream around 11 mbps. but it varies a lot more than the downstream. Since it is DOCSIS 3, I am guessing that channel binding in one direction or another is responsible for this.

A month or two ago the Motorola modem lost reliability and I went through three levels of support. The third service level cost me fifty dollars. This technician re-installed the software and the issue was closed. Good. However, today the modem has again disappeared off Comcast's radar and I now have a service appointment for three days hence. I feel three days is excessive. I am looking at AT&T. Comcast costs $150 for TV and Internet. AT&T will be $115 when the discount expires and it has a far better channel lineup though slower Internet at 24 mbps versus Comcast's 35 mbps.

Comments:

Review by faris8 See Profile

• Location: Bethesda,Montgomery,MD

I have Comcast Xfinity in Bethesda, Md. It advertises 50 Mbs up and download speeds. It delivers less than 1 Mbs most times of day. I am interested in pursuing a class action lawsuit. If anyone would like to join me in this, please reply to this post.
-Jim

lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA

1 up and 1 down, that sounds really symetrical.

Well, what did they tell you when you called customer service about your problem??

Are they looking into it?
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET
nysports4evr
join:2010-01-23

...

How about try contacting customer service. Give me a break.

OMG

What have you done?

What is your service level? Are you using a docsis 2.0 or 3.0 modem? Are you connecting via ethernet or wireless. If you do a speedtest, are you going to speedtest.net or speedtest.comcast.net (it makes a difference)? Is your OS correctly updated? What programs are running in the background on your system? these are just a few of the possible bottlenecks you may be dealing with, except for the speedtest I understand that you're P.O.'d, but jumping up with an invite to start a class-action ...........

Review by POSITIVEDSL See Profile

• Location: Delray Beach,Palm Beach,FL
Good "When It works!"
Bad "Constant inteuption of service and inconsistant throughput. Monthly billing errors require an average of 1 hour on hold. "
Overall "COMCAST IS A MONOPOLY OWNING NBC, UNIVERSAL, AND TOO MANY CABLE FRANCHISED COMMUNITIES- SERVICE IS SUBSTANDARD"

COMCAST IS A MONOPOLY OWNING NBC, UNIVERSAL, AND TOO MANY CABLE FRANCHISED COMMUNITIES CONTRACTS.

THE S.E.C. SHOULD INVESTIGATE HOW ONE COMPANY HAS BEEN ALLOWED TO HAVE SO MUCH POWER OVER THE MEDIA AND COMMUNICATION THAT THE AMERICAN PUBLIC HAS ACCESS TO. THEIR INFLUENCE TO CONTROL PRODUCTION AND DISTRIBUTION OF NEWS, FILMS, ACCESS TO INTERNET & SOCIAL MEDIA IS AS DISTURBING AS THE NSA'S MONITORING ALL WORLD COMMUNICATIONS. ANTI TRUST LAWS SHOULD HAVE PREVENTED THE COMCAST CARTEL FROM EXISTING.

OWING TO THE VAST POWER THEY CONTROL AND THEIR RIDICULOUSLY HIGH COST OF SERVICE ONE WOULD THINK THEY WOULD AT LEAST GIVE THE LEVEL OF SERVICE AN INDIVIDUAL PAYS FOR.

COMCAST IS A TWO WAY SYSTEM AND THEY KNOW WHEN YOUR SERVICE IS NOT UP TO PAR YET THEY REQUIRE THE CUSTOMER TO CALL, BE ON HOLD FOR LONG WAIT TIMES IN ORDER TO GET THE CREDIT FOR POOR OR NO SERVICE. WHY SHOULD THE CUSTOMER HAVE TO REPORT POOR SERVICE WHEN THE COMCAST SYSTEM KNOWS WHEN SERVICE IS BAD OR CORRECT? INTERESTINGLY WHEN YOUR PAYMENT IS LATE A DAY OR TWO THEY AUTOMATICALLY KNOW TO CUT OFF SERVICE.

IN ESSENCE COMCAST IS TWO BIG TO BE GOOD FOR THE AMERICAN COMPETITIVE MARKET.

CABLE LINES SHOULD BE SUBJECT TO THE SAME RULES OF SHARING SERVICES AS THE TELEPHONE LINES ARE SO AS TO PROMOTE HONEST COMPETITION IN THE AMERICA SPIRIT OF BUSINESS FAIR PRACTICES.

NOW THAT CABLE COMPANIES OFFER TELEPHONE SERVICE SHOULDN’T THE WIRE ACCESS LAWS APPLY TO THEM AS WELL AS THE TELEPHONE COMPANIES?

WAKE UP AMERICA WE ARE BEING RIPPED OFF AND OUR GOVERNMENT IS LETTING THE CORPORATIONS SCREW US ALL.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by dandelion See Profile

• Location: Germantown,Shelby,TN
Good "The only cable offered in my area"
Bad "Fair"
Overall "Usually things improve when not a monopoly"

The steps you have to go through on the answering machine when calling to order, get help, start or stop a service etc. is excessive even from today's standards and there is a possibility you will get cut off while waiting then need to start it all again.

You can call Comcast, speak to a very nice customer service rep, think all is arranged and call back only to find out all is NOT arranged and totally different information is given out between one rep and another. If you desire to talk to a supervisor there is none available usually so you wait for a possible phone call. I don't believe this is different from most cable though. I DO object to them using shoddy modems i.e. not a new one even in the stores and all rebuilt. So far mine is working but there is a rattle inside if you shake it.

member for 11.4 years, 6895 visits, last login: a few minutes ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

Comcast still about the same

In all this time, Comcast hasn't changed much. They are the only cable around, still a monopoly though there are other alternatives I like cable the best. I think their customer service leaves a lot to be desired but probably not as bad as some I've read about either.