Review by mrphster See Profile

• Location: Cumming,Forsyth,GA
Good "Best speeds in Atlanta and fairly reliable"
Bad "Greedy. Caps. Highest prices."
Overall "Comcast has NEVER exceeded 45% of their capacity and yet they would like everyone to believe that the few are the problem"

I left Comcast Business Class because they hiked my bill $30 from $99 to 129. My speeds on Comcast business was 22mbps down and 10 up. I work out of my home. I signed up for e-blast 50mb for the introductory rate of $40 for 6 months. Two days later, a Comcast rep called and offered me free basic TV for one year and my internet at $40 would stay the same for an entire year. I asked him, why Comcast would give me free TV & increase my internet special price for 12 months. I asked him why Comcast was doing this and he stated he didn't know, only that this was the deal and did I want it? I said, I would be a fool not to accept it. I checked my bill when it came and it was $64. Only it wasn't. They changed my account plan from just Internet to Basic TV w Internet. Difference? TV w

Internet is normally charged at $80/mo. They way they worded it is, TV w Internet was $80 and for one year it was half-price. At the

end of the special, my rate would have gone to $80 instead of the agreed upon rate of $54. I don't watch SD, so I told them to take it off

and returned the TV box to my local Comcast office.

I tried overlapped the two services, Business Class & Residential, to make sure I was not left without service. I was told, that because my service address was the same for Residential & Business, I would be unable to overlap the two services. Residential could not sign me up, until I had cancelled my Business Class. There was a week from the time I cancelled my Business Class & when I got my Residential service up and running. I opted to install it myself and received two packages exactly the same. I could not get online and they said they had to send out a tech. I told them I was perfectly capable of setting up my modem, but they insisted, I was unable to get online until a tech came out and said, "uh.....it is properly screwed into the modem and the ethernet cable is properly connected from the modem to my router. I had paid for a new RG-7 line to be installed when I bought my house. I had it run straight into my modem. I had installed a new 4 foot copper ground stake to be installed as well. I had good signal strength. They provided me with a SMCD3GNV modem, but the modem kept trying to hand out IP Addresses to all of my computers, in addition to my NETGEAR r6300v1.

This modem had wireless as well. It took a couple of weeks before I figured out that the modem/router was unable to provide any speeds above 54mbps, due to a limitation Comcast had imposed on the wireless portion of the modem, which was that it was required to use WPA(TKIP)/WPA2(AES). WPA-TKIP is limited to 54mbps and I had no option to choose just WPA2. The modem/router was BGN capable, but not if WPA-TKIP was used.

So that was not going to work out. My wife can only connect wirelessly and the Comcast modem limited my r6300 to 54mbps. I called Comcast and complained to them. I told them that I was unable to see anywhere in the modem GUI where the modem could be put into Ethernet Bridge mode. They told me that only they had access to the Ethernet Bridge mode. So I had to ask them to put into Ethernet Bridge mode. The modem kept handing out IP addresses regardless. I told them I didn't need the modem to act as my DHCP router, because I was using my own router. My NETGEAR r6300v1 was constantly dropping my LAN connections. Not the wireless, but the wired Gigabit ports. I had it replaced at 6 months, because it was finally unable to even connect at all. The replacement r6300v1 bricked literally one week after the warranty ended. I called NETGEAR because I foolishly signed up for a additional support. I called them and told them my router LAN connections quit working again and the tech actually laughed at me, telling me too bad, my warranty had ended and they could no longer help me, despite the fact that I had 3 other r6300s that I was using in my son's restaurants. They had all my info. I could have pressed my point that I had called 14 times for the exact same problem and their fixes did not work, therefore, I should still be covered, but I didn't feel like wasting my energy. Did I switch to another brand? Of course not! I followed up with two more r6300v2 routers. (They worked very well, having had numerous changes like reducing the power required. I have had only one issue, fixed by resetting the factory defaults.)

I bought my own modem a month later. I bought a ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Retail Packaging - White off of Amazon. I connected it to my cable, waited for 2 days, per some advice I got online, before I called them to get it provisioned. I kept the Comcast modem for a week because I had read there were issues for people who bought their own modems, and were unable to get internet. For one month I could not get any emails whatsoever. I could not get it through my Outlook nor online. I had to call them 8 times because I couldn't log onto my account online to check my email and to make sure my emails were transferred from my business class. I was not receiving emails on all of my email addresses.

It turned out that no one at Comcast knew how to properly provision the modem. It took over a month before I was able to access my account online. The reason I couldn't access my account was because my modem had not been provisioned correctly. I escalated my case to TSEIIs and they were unable to help me. I called Comcast Business Class

because every time I contacted Comcast Tech support, I was always being asked was my call concerning my Residential or Business account. When I finally got ticked off enough, I decided to see if the Business Class techs could help me and I found a Business Class tech who was able to help me make sure my modem was provisioned and after a month I got things straightened out.

Comments:

Review by mohammede See Profile

• Location: Naperville,Will,IL
Bad "unstable"

Comcast is very unstable. I opened several ticket first time they stated that their node down, 2nd time they cam to my home replaced splitter still having same problem. I would like to replace this ISP provides

Comments:

Review by rkdigital See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Okay some of the time"
Bad "Service tech's charge $65 even when it's not inside my home!"
Overall "Would switch to FIOS if it was in my neighborhood."

Have Max Blast (50/10) along with Digital TV. I don't use any of there equipment, I own all my equipment, including the TV tuners that I use (we use cable cards to support them). Having severe issues after a major outage in the area, still after a week not fixed completely.

I will update this review, only if they fix the issues.

Comments:

Review by Vibes See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
Good "Blindingly fast, mostly good tech support and little down time, but beware..."
Bad "Billing and getting them to honoring their written offers was hell, but then all OK."
Overall "OK if you need and can afford their superior speed, but not good initial service or ethics."

Back in January, 2011, I responded to a Comcast written offer for new customer ISP only service at 15 Mbps down/0.356 up, at $14.99 first 12 months, $24.99 for the second 12 months, and "free self-install".

I live in a condo and Comcast "rents" the Association's interior cable, so even as an experienced network engineer, I cannot get into their wiring cabinet and do not use any other Comcast service, so I needed their tech to plug in my wire in their rented access point down in the garages. This they did, but then billed me for an in-home visit, having never entered my condo. I setup their rental modem and was quickly online with promised speed or better. Then Cust. Svc. hell to get them to honor their promised "FREE" self-install....eventually, they did.

This speed tier was one up from their basic or beginners residential speed, once called "High Speed Internet" and "Performance Internet" (they keep renaming it), now "Blast Internet." Technically great, but billing and service were terrible, from the initial billing and first annual renewal, I never got the promised rate in the offer letter and had to fight the hydra-head monster that is Comcast (in person, by email, by phone, by letter, with every division not knowing what the other was doing or promising and all unable to render what was promised). After superhuman effort and 4 month of work at EACH annual renewal, I got each promised discount and was/am satisfied.

Threatening to sue and present my notes/records in court, I'm sure helped escalate the matter.

Note: I bought and installed a new DDM3513 Docsis 3.0 cable modem a few months in and returned the older Comcast rental Ubee (to save $7/month). That switch worked well and my bill dropped as expected. Good service there, but save your receipts.

As my third 12-months of Blast Xfinity ISP only discount service ($50/month) will soon end, I will again try for a "loyalty" discount on the same service...otherwise, its off to ATT or Sonic.net DSL at a third the price and speed. I definitely will not pay full price for Comcast otherwise good ISP service. And thanks to all you who post honest reviews...it definitely help keep these ISP's honest and responsive...eventually.

Comments:

Review by mgordon See Profile

• Location: 84081
Good "Internet speed and reliability"
Bad "Customer service"
Overall "I eventually left."

The speed and internet service is fast/reliable.

Comcast customer support and billing is out of control... After being a customer for 3 years, they decided to try and start charging me rent for their modem. Only problem is that I bought the modem from Best Buy. Customer support wouldn't believe me and after several phone calls/emails, I finally dug through my 3 year old receipts and proved it was mine. They finally conceded that it was mine and "fixed" it in their system. I was so sick of being accused of lying that I switched to Century Link. After canceling, Comcast then called me to tell me if I didn't return their modem I was going to be charged for it. Unbelievable.

I emailed Tom Karinshak, their executive VP of Customer Experience and... nothing.

All they had to do was continue to take my money every month and I would have remained a happy customer...

Comments:

comcast user

@comcast.net

Sounds about right

They did the same to me a couple years ago...
meb

join:2002-12-12
Potomac, MD

Me too...

Started billing me for the modem I owned after a change in plans. Later, when I cancelled service they tried to charge me for modem not returned. Cost more in time to get it fixed than the modem was worth.

Review by reelbigfish See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,Middlesex,MA
Good "Reliable service, Quick Downloads"
Bad "upload speed, price"
Overall "OK service, Get Verizon FiOS or RCN if you can"

***Update 24-Dec-2013***

Comcast has been reliable and worthwhile having. The speeds were just bumped from 20bmps/4mbps to 25mbps/5mbps which makes things just a little faster. Unless something changes I do not foresee spending any more with Comcast to get to the 50/10 Blast! Tier as the only thing that would help is the occasional large download which I do not do very often. I do stream and the 25mbps down is plenty to stream most everything for any service in HD. I do get quite good service even in peak times. Comcast is the main provider in my town as they have an exclusive agreement. I would much prefer that Verizon or RCN also provide service to give a little competition. I would switch to RCN if available just because for the same price I am paying now I would get faster speeds. Over the years the price has gone up but the speeds have not gone up as much as the price. If you can get FiOS or RCN I would recommend it, but if you're stuck like me it's acceptable.

***Update 14-Jan-2011***

I have been using Comcast for my high speed internet for a total of 6 years with other providers in between. I am quite impressed with my current Comcast service. I have reliable connectivity and fast throughput all day long. I am able to steam via Netflix in HD and download large files quickly. I have to say that this is the best option in my area. The only competition is Verizon DSL as Verizon has stopped expanding Fios. I don't feel like I'm missing anything as my speeds are very good. I have the 16Mbps/2Mbps package and can do everything I want to online. I highly recommend this product.

***Update 13-Dec-2008***

I've now had Comcast in this location for a year and a half. Things have been good in terms of the service. I'm able to play games any time I like and the downloads are quite fast. There are some issues in getting line speed to some sites during peak hours. One major issue is that the free Fileplant subscription with the Speed Tier, I've never been able to download at line rate during peak hours. I can get it from other sites like Microsoft or Nvidia, but not Fileplanet. The speeds were upgraded to 6Mpbs/1Mbps for the standard tier and 8Mbps/2Mbps for the Speed Tier. The speeds were then upgraded again to 12Mbps/2Mbps for standard and 16Mbps/2Mbps for the Speed Tier, essentially making the Speed Tier worthless as all it gives you is 4 more Mbps of download speed. With DOCSIS 3.0 they have also added a 22Mbps/5Mbps and a 50Mbps/10Mbps tiers. There is also now a 250GB cap. This brings the value of the service down. If I could switch to Verizon or RCN I would, but for now I'm stuck with Comcast. It is still certainly better than Verizon DSL in the area, and I highly recommend it over than. If RCN is available or Verizon Fios, I would go with either one of those.

***Update 27-May-2008***

It has almost been a year since I've had Comcast installed at my current address. I've been quite happy with the service and would have a hard time leaving given the quality I've received with the Comcast Triple Play. I've signed a 2 year contract for it, keeping the Comcast High Speed Internet at $33/month for 2 years. The download speeds of 6Mbps or 8Mbps for the $10 speed add on are adequate for what I use the service for. I feel the upload needs to be upgraded however. It has been in the neighboring towns of Boston, such as Newton. Their base packages are 6Mbps/768Kbps and 16Mbps/2Mbps. Here in Boston it is still 6Mbps/384Kbps and 8Mbps/768Kbps. The only applications I really would like more upload bandwidth for are uploading pictures to share/print and for use with Mozy, my backup client. I have about 40GB of data I would like to backup, but it has been 2 weeks since I started backing up and I'm not even half way there. It would be a great help to have more upload to get this uploaded. However, once it is done, since it does incremental backups, it won't take nearly as long next time. Overall I am happy with the service, but do desire a bit more on the upload side. I recommend the service over Verizon DSL any day. Against FiOS, it comes down to which is more important, Internet or TV. For me HD TV is more important which is why I will be sticking with Comcast for the foreseeable future.

***Update 09-Sep-2007***

So far Comcast has been acceptable. I dropped back down to the lower tier internet as the Game Invasion package become somewhat useless. File Planet's servers were so overloaded that I could only download at 400KB/s instead of 1MB/s with the 8Mb/s connection. The upload is still quite pathetic compared to all other cable companies and DSL providers. In CT there is now UVerse available and most cable companies would win many customers with their speed, but not Comcast. With 6Mbps/1Mbps being the highest package, the better upload and similar download makes it a better package. Comcast really needs to step it up with the speed. Fortunately for them FiOS has not made its way into Boston yet, but when it does, the speeds had better go up for many customers will leave. It is still better than Verizon DSL however.

***Update 19-Aug-2007***

Last night I found that Powerboost just isn't always enough. I was uploading pictures from a recent trip, and it was taking forever! It was enough to make me pay the $10 extra per month. However, this does not reflect all that poorly on my value for money with Comcast. First, the 768Kbps helped me upload my photos in half the time. It was definitely worth it. It is a bit disappointing that I have to pay for the upload when others are getting 6Mbps/768Kbps as their standard tier. FiOS is around Boston, but not in it yet. The saving grace is that I do still get free McAfee anti-virus and with the speed tier I get Game Invasion, which gets me a Founders Club membership to IGN. This means I no longer have to pay for FilePlanet and I was able to link it to my existing account. So far still happy with the service and will continue to until my promotion is up. There might be competition then, and I will compare. However, at this time, Comcast is tops.

***Update 08-Aug-2007***

So far things have been good with Comcast. Powerboost is nice, but I do miss the higher upload I used to have with Cox for the same price. Overall the service has been reliable with gaming and using VPN. I definitely recommend this service over Verizon DSL in the Boston area.

***Update 21-Jul-2007***

Well, it has been since 2004 that I had Comcast and I am back with them. I moved out of the Cox area I lived into a Comcast/RCN area. Unfortunately RCN does not serve my new street so I had to go with Comcast for cable tv internet and phone. The speeds are quite good, I get bursts of 20Mbps/2Mbps with powerboost and get a solid 6Mbps/384Kbps connection after powerboost is done. The install was quite good. The installer was a contractor and knew his stuff. I didn't need a new drop run as the building was already wired. First he setup the cable box and got that working. Next he hooked up the Arris modem and provisioned it without installing the software for internet. Next was phone, all that took was a call and a reboot of the Arris modem. Overall a very good install. So far the service has been good. Will update after using the services for a while.

***Update 05-Jan-2004***

Well, my Comcast HSI is gone. The packet loss got better and then the speeds were much more consistent. The 3Mbps/256kbps caps are nice and all, but I did end up dropping them. For people who don't game and don't download tons of files, Comcast is good for that. However, I do excessive downloading such a Linux distros and taking online classes really eats up the bandwidth. I didn't get a letter from Comcast but I'd rather not take that chance. Also, the speed isn't worth the money. For half the price I get 1.3Mbps/128 from SBC and it is just as reliable. Right now I'm more concerned about price. If Comcast had a lower tier then I may still be with them, but until Comcast and other cable companies realize that not all their customers need 3Mbps speeds, that won't happen. To browse the web, which is what the rest of the users in my house do, SBC DSL is a better fit. Also, the extras that come with SBC Yahoo are much more useful that those that come with Comcast. I got a bigger mail limit and a bigger storage limit for storing files, which you cannot get with Comcast. Also, the Yahoo start page for the DSL is customizable and had all the info I want. I couldn't get that with Comcast.

***Update 17-Dec-2003***

Today I got the Comcast upgrade to 3Mbps. Thats good, right? Well, not really. My speed only went up to 2000kbps from 1700kbps and I have major packet loss now. They should not have upgraded the system if it could not handle the speeds. I will keep everyone posted on the situation, but it's unacceptable. Web browsing it ok, but file transfers are slow and forget about online gaming or watching a streaming video.

***Original Review***

I signed up for the Comcast Cable Service about 1 month before the service was actually available, thus the 30 day wait. I was the third person in my town to get the service. As soon as everything was set, I was on the internet. When the service first got here, the cap was set at 1800kbps/256kbps and those are the current speeds. It's not as fast as RoadRunner, especially since the caps for RR went up to 3000kbps/384kbps. I'm still waiting for the Comcast upgrade to 3Mbps which should happen before the end of the year. The only problem is that the upload is 256kbps. RR has 384kbps and they are possibly going up to 512kbps by the end of the year. I just hope Comcast follows suit and raises their upload. There hasn't been much down time. The only time the service has gone out was when my cable modem fried itself. The original and the current one is a Linksys. Overall I'm happy with the service although I would like to see more upload than more download speed. Since it is the only game in town, I'm stuck, but I'm happy with it.

member for 12.5 years, 1780 visits, last login: 207 days ago

Comments:

Review by Camaro See Profile

• Location: Westfield,Hampden,MA
Good "Well not much "
Bad "Well after this past summer a lot"
Overall "Not to hot lately"

·Verizon Wireless..
If i had more choices i would jump contracts every year but they (isp telco's) don't tread on each other especially when it comes to us saving money.

Well after months of pestering decided to try the triple bundle,they gave 22/5 with all my channels (everything channel but sports package, foreign channels wife loves the movie channels) two dcx-3400's new moto 6120, and fruity RCA/Thomson device for 149.99 for 12 months no install fee so i couldn't say no plus Verizon just jacked the basic phone line to like $60 and change with all fee's and after months of waiting for fios, they can kiss my ass.Well got it installed on 12/11 and after a weekend of speed test i am very happy with the speeds,now if i never need to call tech support i will be in bliss.

Really nothing new speeds have increased over the last month don't know why but i am not complaining,they gave us a new deal for a little more money they include sports and keep my speeds locked in longer,still wish fios would come here to my town.

After a real Comcast tech not the rent a ones came out and finally figured out my T3 issues by real troubleshooting my connection has been solid.I Didn't like how they changed our speed packages without notification,also the cable has gone downhill from no sound to complete stops in the picture which I figure is they keep on squeezing more channels out of less bandwidth,if that was fixed I would be a happy camper.One last thing is there tech support still sucks, if they tell me one more time to reset my modem and router it's going to drive me to drink.

Well It's time for another review. After they mixed up there speed's recently these are my new one's for my area these are straight price's no 6 month crap.

Economy Plus $29.99 3mbps down 768kbps up
Performance $48.95 20mbps down 4mbps up
Performance Starter $49.95 6mbps down 1mbps up
Blast $58.95 30mbps down 6mbps up
Extreme $99.95 50mbps down 15mbp
Extreme 105 $199.95 105mbps down 20mbps up

The cable channels have finally worked out the kinks, before it was cutting out at least once a day now it's down to maybe once a week so I don't complain.
The performance and performance starter packages don't make any sense but it's on there website for packages so who knows if that is a mistake.Not much else new for my neck of woods so as long as my service is always up can't complain except about the price's but that will never change.

Let's see, after hot summer here, the heat apparently was overheating a node during most of the day and killing my upstream signal very often. Comcast finally sent out a tech who was smart enough to figure it out but he said a line truck was needed, one never showed up of course. After 5 calls the problem still wasn't fixed, but by then the weather cooled down so it stopped happening. I have given up for a little while it gets so frustrating. So Comcast has failed big time. The only positive is they installed a free access point at he end of my street. I will report back with prices when I get more time.

member for 6.7 years, 1390 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by jlangley777 See Profile

• Location: Mount Dora,Lake,FL
Overall "Misinformation, contradictory information, sux, sux, sux!"

Customer Service zombies were poorly trained, rude, obstinate, condescending and robotic. The one thing they were NOT was helpful. Despite picking up a self install kit I was told that my service would be delayed for two more days? Why? Because someone screwed up and scheduled it as a company install. And while the CSR could see the mistake no one was competent enough or authoritative enough to undo the mistake. Since going with Comcast a couple of weeks ago I have probably reset the modem a dozen or more times. And calling Customer Service is an exercise in futility and frustration. Unfortunately we are tied to Comcast because they are THE service providers in our neighborhood. As soon as we get into a competitive environment they are GONE and they won't be coming back. Avoid them like the plague.

member for 1 year, 0 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:
tdumaine
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

uh

If its that bad cancel it. 30 days money back guarantee and all.

Theres a comcast forum here (direct is you and employees, comcast hsi is a public forum) you could try for some help in.

Review by hambone42 See Profile

• Location: Manassas,Prince William,VA
Good "When it works, it works well -- if you're configured properly"
Bad "Abysmal tech support, lack of follow-through on trouble tickets"
Overall "Consider your alternatives carefully, I would switch if there were an acceptable alternative"

Update December 2013

After 6 years with Comcast, it's time to say goodbye due to another move. Overall, the service during that time was acceptable, but only because when I had an issue I dealt directly with the Comcast Direct forum here or the we_can_help@comcast.com executive support address. The chat and phone reps are completely useless for anything other than the simplest question.

Of course, there were the typical aggravations associated with Comcast during my time with them:

I did have several months' worth of incorrect billing for a CableCard/TiVo connected outlet. I gave up trying to fix it because the amount in error wasn't worth the time needed to fix it, and I knew I was moving soon anyway.

It took 4 months to get a refund from my final bill, and that was only successful due to (again) intervention by Executive Support. Somehow, my refund was mysteriously held up because I had "unreturned equipment", specifically, a modem. I've never rented a modem at any time yet "the system" suddenly decided I had one. One last kick in the teeth...good thing the new place has FiOS.

---information below this line pertains to my initial installation experience---

After moving to a new house in NoVA in August 2007, I found my Internet access options consisted of dialup, satellite, and Comcast. I gutted out dialup for two months, considered and rejected satellite after reading the reviews here, and finally decided to go back to Comcast even after my experience with them in Maryland.

Shopped around for about a month and finally settled on a double-play deal through comcastoffers.com consisting of a new customer promotional offer of "Digital Preferred Plus" digital cable and "Performance Plus" 8Mbps High-Speed Internet at $33 each for a six-month period.

When I placed the order, I advised the order taker that the house had never had cable service, and that they would need to make appropriate arrangements for bringing a line in from one of their pole appearances. I live on a corner lot so they had two sets of poles to choose from. The rep stated they would perform a survey (2-3 business days required) to determine if I was in a serviceable location, and that installation would be scheduled after this activity was complete.

I called a few days later and scheduled installation for Nov 16, 2007, and confirmed that the serviceability survey was completed. The following series of events then unfolded:

Nov 16th -- one tech shows up with a digital box and states, "I'm here to install your cable tv service". I ask him if he has the rest of the equipment and supplies to install the drop from the street. This requirement is news to him as he has no information on his work order showing anything other than a simple digital box installation. I walk him through the various options for making the street connection (overhead plus buried drop on one street, full buried drop over longer distance from the other street). He states he will update the record, and return the following day with the right equipment and supplies.

Nov 17th -- different tech arrives, again with just a digital box and no information on the required street drop, nor does he have any outside plant equipment or materials. Lather, rinse, repeat...

Nov 19th -- a third technician shows up. Lather, rinse, repeat...

Nov 24th -- a fourth technician shows up, again with no clue about the installation requirements. He is informed that the order is now cancelled, and he goes on to his next job.

On Nov 26th, I decide to inform Mr. Roberts about the serious customer service and installation issues he has in Manassas. Remember, this is the same office that received a visit from »The Comcast Hammer Granny two months prior to my order. That afternoon, I receive a phone call from "executive support" wanting to know what they can do to fix the problem. I go over the entire history -- which they already had in an e-mail -- and tell them they can install the following day after 3pm, or consider the order permanently cancelled.

Nov 27th -- I come home at the appointed hour to find 10 different Comcast technicians and supervisors, including two guys that are clearly mid- to senior-level management, crawling all over my property. Total time from start of work to successful modem configuration -- about two hours. I suspect that installation cost Comcast about $75/minute.

In the end, I received the service (I think, there were still some "oddities" in the billing) I wanted. The overall aggravation level on both sides would have been greatly reduced, however, had Comcast been able to internally communicate and supervise their subcontractors correctly.

===Information below this line pertains to my experience with Comcast in Laurel and Columbia, MD between 2004 and 2007===

I ordered Comcast HSI in April 2004. Purchased my own modem from Circuit City; got a rebate which reduced modem cost to $0. Initial installation went well, service performed near advertised speeds (3000/384 initially; 4000/384 later) consistently until May 2005.

Comcast "fixed" something in early May 2005. I'm now getting speeds in the 100/350 range consistently for the last three weeks. Have repeatedly posted test results -- modem signals, ping, traceroute, speed tests -- to DSLR and the Comcast help forums. Also opened a trouble ticket on 21 May 05. There's been no improvement, no forecasted resolution date, no communication unless I initiate.

They've got about another week to show some progress or even some concern, then I'm headed back to Verizon DSL. A reliable 1500/256 beats a vaporware 4000/384 any day.

[Update Summer 2006]

Well, I stuck with them even after another network "upgrade" in Spring 2006 which resulted in the same types of problems as I experienced in May 2005. Only took a couple of weeks to fix the upgrade.

Then came July 2006, when I moved from Columbia to Laurel, MD. That's only about 10 miles as the crow flies, yet it was nearly too much for Comcast to handle. Absolutely no coordination between the Howard and PG county sales offices. I had to order a "disconnect" in Columbia, and a "new start" in Laurel. Of course this meant three weeks' worth of lost e-mail....

....and the two missed installation appointments. I finally decided to let Mr. Roberts fix the problems in his PG county sales office. I also found out that there is such a thing as a "Customer Service Advocate", but apparently you have to threaten to cancel and file a complaint with the county cable commission in order to find out who it is. The CSA finally managed to break the installation logjam -- the Kodak moment being when she asked me to reconfirm my address since they couldn't locate it -- my response was "ask the tech who claims he was out here last week when I supposedly wasn't home, he apparently knows where it is".

FiOS is finally available here, but since I will be moving in less than a year making the swap makes little economic sense. I'm showing Comcast the door at the next opportunity, though.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:
SSBNuke

join:2013-12-11

Comcast as a VoIP provider.

If you have a anger management issues or a tendency toward ulcers, you probably want to avoid MagicJack. Their chat-only support model actually does work, they are really cheap and the quality was more than acceptable. Full set of useful features including call forwarding (that you can set remotely if your ISP is down). So impressed that I did two things. I increased my prepaid service to March 2017 and bought their new unit that plugs right in to an ethernet port in my router. Converted my service extension, kept my phone number but irretrievably LOST call forwarding. No announcements, no warnings, just gone. So my reaction was to return the new unit (MJ moved service and number back to the old one) and returned it to Walmart. Talked to Comcast, got a deal they call a triple play that included voice. Came with a number, but they said they could port the MJ number in. I paid MJ $30 and damned if it didn't work pretty much as advertised. Oddly, though, even with the quintupled internet speed on the new deal, the quality wasn't all that good. MJ beat it, but yanking features is a no-no as far as I'm concerned. So I decided to do Obihai (OBI100) with Google Voice. Ordered it from Amazon, Googled OBI100 and got a hit that says GV won't support XPPM after 5/15/14. On an Obihai site. Didn't even unpack it. Sent it back. Now, I'm down to a land line with AT&T. Mama says I better not lose HER phone number.
So I call AT&T and they start the process. I called them USING mama's number connected to Comcast through my Comcast-supplied voice modem. AT&T calls me in two days and tells me that Comcast says it's not a valid number. THEY ported it in from MJ, they make it ring my phone and let me call out on it but they can't find a record that it's active.
Magic Jack yanks features. Obihai can't talk to Google Voice starting in May. NetTalk's customer service is non-existent. Comcast is ridiculously hard to navigate and doesn't seem able to understand that if they are talking to me about a number that "doesn't exist" ON that number via Xfinity Voice, then COMCAST's records are screwed up.
I have now had verification that my 72-yo adrenal glands can get me tense with four vendors.
It is my belief that VoIP has its place - and it's not in my house.

Review by tweakt See Profile

• Location: Winthrop,Suffolk,MA
Good "Reasonably fast and reliable."
Bad "Ordering was painful. Constant threat of data caps. Not cheap"
Overall "It's the only option in this area"

The only other option in this area is ~5 mbps Verizon DSL and they weren't taking new orders at the time (at capacity). So Comcast it was.

Ordering was a nightmare. I couldn't get the online forms to waive the installation fee so I called. The agents repeatedly tried to strong arm me into higher packages. They wouldn't waive the installation fee no matter how much I asked (illegal?) on the claim that the tech would need to make changes at the termination point. He didn't. I had my own modem already. All he did was call in the mac address and connect the DVR he brought. He wasn't in a cherry picker so there was no intention of him climbing up there.

Using the service has been problem free. The speed is reasonable. There may have been a few outages but nothing prolonged and nothing that couldn't have just been temporary modem/router problems.

The onscreen guide is dated and definitely isn't optimized for widescreen HD. The FIOS guide has this beat by a decade.

Data caps have been suspended in this locale but there is the constant threat that they will be re-implemented.

All in all, it works fine, which is good since there isn't another option, but it's clear that Comcast is not concerned with customer satisfaction.

member for 9.2 years, 27 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

crystalDC

@comcast.net

Service from HELL

I've had nothing but issues from Comcast. I live in DC and if it's not the service it's the billing. For the past 4 months I had to be issued over $50 in credits every month for wrongful billing charges or bad service interruptions. It's impossible to enjoy something I have to consistently micro manage. the worse thing is it's virtually my only option in my area. What can I do? I've taken all the steps I can to get other options. I promise I spend at least 90-200 minutes a wk on the phone with comcast for some kind of issue. I'm at my wits end and will revert to no cable as I did in 2011.