Review by newview See Profile

• Location: Parsonsburg,Wicomico,MD
  • Telco party Sprint
Good "Established company - probably NOT a good thing"
Bad "Poor speeds compared to @home, POOR NEWSGROUPS, AT$T merger, unreliable email due to Comast servers blacklisted"
Overall "If other alternatives are available in your area, you may get more for your money than what Comcast offers"

·DIRECTV
As a recent subscriber to @home in September 2001, I experienced what broadband was supposed to be like . . . and then I was caught up in the @home bankruptcy and transitioned to Comcast. I immediately experienced a speed reduction of over 50% of what I was used to. If that wasn't bad enough I was REALLY taken back with the realization that Comcast does not have a newsgroup server. I lost fully half my speed and half my internet experience in that conversion! I couldn't believe that a well established company like Comcast, who is supposed to be experienced in broadband access, wouldn't realize how important newsgroups are to cable modem users.

To make matters even worse, as of this writing, there is no mention on their newly formed web site for comcast.net subscribers, any mention of plans for or against usenet access. We are left in limbo wondering what is going on. Emails to their "Customer Care" for members have gone unanswered, except for form mail pointing to now-defunct @home irrelevant FAQ's. Telephone calls to tech support, while answered quickly at Level 1, degrade rapidly once bumped to Level 2, with long hold times. I finally hung up after an hour on hold.

It also appears that I also cannot reach certain web sites. I suspect that an entire portion of net space is unavailable to me. Unavailable are 2wire.com, speedguide.net, firehouse.com and anonymizer.com. These sites are available with my backup dialup connection so I know that it's Comcast's problem. All these sites hang off of Verio.net . . . what's up with that?

I cannot presently recommend Comcast as a broadband provider until their level of customer service is at an acceptable level, and their offered services are up to par, since all are presently lacking.

1/1/2002 - It's been two weeks since the "transition" to Comcast's network, and it's still broke. Email is spotty, often down. And, apparently Comcast is using a transparent proxy server which is preventing access to a significant number of web sites and entire networks. It also appears that Comcast intends to use this proxy to monitor web activity in order to send spam or otherwise market your surfing habits.

»Comcast isn't getting rid of the transparent proxy

Newsgroup access is now available due to Comcast aliasing to @home news servers, but there was NO indication or contact about this from Comcast. Only through the efforts of people on this board did this information come to light.

»Comcast Usenet Servers Here

»NEWS SERVER news.mi.comcastwork.com

1/4/2002 - In media reports in which Comcast "spin doctors" and sock puppets have been interviewed, they are indicating no major problems and a smooth transition. Don't you believe it. Major problems are surfacing with every area they transition. Many of these problems are of Comcast's own making.

7/13/02 - Recent postings on dslreports.com in the Comcast forum have indicated that Comcast has raised the download cap to 1800kbps from 1500kbps, probably in order to justify advertised claims of a true 1500kbps speed, which was NOT attainable due to latency, routing problems, hop counts, etc. The upload cap has NOT been raised . . . raising issues with transmit times of email with large attachments for one, and gaming for another. Comcast does appear to be trying to address customer concerns, but is still close-mouthed about problems . . . for instance nowhere on their web site(s) is raising the upload cap mentioned. Webmail is a memory . . . it's been down, what . . . six months now? Newsgroup access is a joke . . . provided by a third-party, Giganews, and limited to 1gb a month . . . a ridiculous amount if you're doing ANY downloading other than text-based newsgroups. VPN access is STILL only offered with the PRO service . . . at double the price of residential service. Comcast obviously sees this as a forced upgrade and a cash cow for them.

12/01/02 - Recent news reports and discussions in the Comcast forum indicate that Comcast is considering download caps to thwart "bandwidth hogs" using P2P applications. I believe this is a "politically correct" reason that Comcast is espousing to cover their agenda of reducing operating costs in the wake of the AT&T merger at the expense of their subscribers, who have already seen many service reductions since the @home transition. The day that Comcast imposes download caps will be the day I cancel my service . . . .both Internet & Cable TV.

»Poll: If Comcast imposes download caps

1/28/03 - There now appears to be a problem on the Eastern Shore of Maryland with the service slowly degrading. My connection graphs of incoming pings from both the East Coast & West Coast DSLR monitoring servers indicate a marked increase in pings, with spikes exceeding 200ms. It's slowly getting worse. A once stable connection with 18ms pings to the FIRST HOP is now at almost 30ms to the FIRST HOP. This has occurred since I began monitoring in December '02. I set up a web site to document the problem and emailed ECAREONLINE with the URL, but they refused to read it, and instructed me to call their Tech Support number. I'm starting to get real fed up with Comcast. And, it's pretty bad when the customer has to go out of his way to fix THEIR network problems.

»Sometimes it pays to ask . . . pings cut in half

2/21/03 - Updated to reflect satellite penalty price increase

6/17/03 - Comcast has implented traffic shaping and it has considerably improved my download speeds. Comcast continues to receive media exposure on customer complaints about cableTV bundling & pricing as they convert areas in the country from ATTBI to Comcast.

»'Tried and True'

04/03/04 - While Comcast infrastucture has settled out to a somewhat accepable 3000/256, (but with still NO newsgroup access and VERY troubling bandwidth abuse suspensions with NO published limits), the MOST problematic problems of Comcast at the moment is their spam zombie problems.

Comcast is landing in more and more major blacklists due to their extremely inefficient handling of spam problems by their abuse department. They appear to be ignoring complaints sent through SpamCop, one of the most respected services of the anti-spam community, even though reports documenting tens of thousands of complaints are readily available.

Comcast's approach to the problem appears to be one of paying lip-service to their stated AUP/TOS by spin-doctoring through the media their strict policy of suspension, which appears to be few and far between. Instead, Comcast representatives at their email forums have indicated that they are contacting ISPs who are blocking Comcast through SORBS and other blacklists, and asking to have Comcast's mail servers whitelisted.

If you want reliable email service, don't subscribe to Comcast.

01/10/06 - Well, it's been a year-and-a-half since my last update to my Comcast experience and things are, by and large, better than they were. It's a fairly reliable connection, except when they upgrade or do maintenence, which seems to hose the connection for days or weeks at a time. My main gripe right now is the recent upgrade to 6000/384 last year left us subscribers who DO NOT subscribe to their cableTV out in the cold. You don't get the upgrade . . . period. So now, not only do you have to pay a $15.00 penalty if you don't subscribe to their cableTV, you are reminded that you are a second-class Comcast customer and don't deserve any consideration for what you DO pay for. I can't wait for ANY other broadband service to become available in my area. I'll drop Comcast like a hot rock.

04/23/06

Comcast refuses to terminate Zombie Subscriber

Comcast IP has been spamming since December 2005

»www.trustedsource.org/query.php?···.116.127

Spamcop has received and been sent 100's of complaints to Comcast since December 2005

Comcast confirmed knowledge of this spamming IP in a forum post by a moderator / says it's been resolved / IP continues to spam

»forums.comcast.net/thread.jspa?t···tstart=0

(must have a Comcast account to view)

Discussion on DSLR of Comcast's inaction in shutting down this Zombie IP

»[Spam] Picture of a Comcast Zombie

member for 13 years, 6182 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by mikedz4 See Profile

• Location: Weirton,Hancock,WV
Good "50 mbps down with 150 hd channels"
Bad "$250 for two boxes ( one dvr and one client for multi room dvr) and all premiums"
Overall "They should have a cheaper plan that includes boxes"

Speeds are great if you don't run into any problems. HD service is excellent, lack of some channels (ohio news network) is disappointing.
Too expensive. $200 for triple play platinum and 6 boxes is rediculous.

Had to cancel for two boxes and whole home dvr ended up being over $200 a month. So switched to frontier and directv. It's a shame since I loved Comcast. Plus they keep putting off the upgrades to x1. Got tired of waiting and went to directv

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by funkhonda See Profile

• Location: Oakland,Alameda,CA
Good "self install was impressive. line already in (from old service). already had cable modem. click, click, credit card, go."
Bad "called for tech support when there is an outage/problem. staff undertrained/inefficient. on top of that blind transfers..."
Overall "you're trading speed for piss poor service. im actually going back to clear (yeah, that slow) because the service is better"

Simply put, it doesn't matter HOW fast your service is if you're dealing with rudeness and stupidity. What premium goes on your sanity for 6Mbps down and 768K up? Even if you get it cheap but the support staff causes you to have a meltdown what's the point? If they hang up on you to ditch responsibility or out of just sheer ineptitude and you STILL have to call them back what are you paying for and why are you giving them money at all?

just my two cents.

member for 1 year, 0 visits, last login: 1 year ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by mojojam See Profile

• Location: Fort Collins,Larimer,CO
Good "Solid reliable connection."
Bad "Over priced. Not too many options in my area. "
Overall "Ok for what I can get around here. Decent hardware makes a big difference."

Connection speed: Economy Plus 3/.768 Mbps $39.95 + $4 wiring protection (dog digs up cable sometime).

Speedtest.net: 3.4/.8 Mbps.

Old Hardware (I buy my own modem): I was using the Motorola SBG6580 which is the cable modem + wifi. It worked well for most of the year then I started having problems with Xbox Live connectivity. I found out I couldn't change the firewall settings in the modem. No port forwarding changes were accepted. Couldn't set DMZ as well as change other settings. It always went back to it's default settings. That was possibly due to a firmware update pushed by Comcast. They checked it out but couldn't do anything about it.

New Hardware: Zoom 5341j. After calling the Comcast tech about initial slow speeds they were able to get it working properly. It's been over a year and is still working great. Way better than the SBG6580. Nothing was hobbled when I updated the firmware. Throughput is very good. Port forwarding worked properly. No problems with Xbox Live connectivity now. I'm using an old linksys 54g with dd-wrt for the wifi.

Since I was having so many problems with the SBG6580 I changed plans from Performance to Economy Plus. The "Economy Plus" speed wasn't listed anywhere on Comcast's site. The slowest speed Comcast showed on their website that I could change to was the Performance Starter at $49.95. I found the Economy Plus mentioned through some forum (may have been this website) which listed the lower speeds they don't advertise. When I switched from Performance speed to Economy Plus it took them over a month to actually lower the speed.

Online games still function pretty well although there is lag sometimes. Definitely more than when I was subscribed to the Performance speed but most of the time it is still playable without lag. Download speeds of websites is tolerable. Streaming music works well. Multiple people viewing video's can cause lag. Uploading lots of photos can be mind numbingly slow so I just use my connection at work to do that.

I'll probably switch back to a higher speed but since I'm not gaming too much right now I'm in no hurry to pay more.

The Economy Plus is good for basic web surfing/streaming video, music, and movies. Movies may not stream well in 1080p though. If you have more than one person that plays online games or watches lots of online movies then I'd recommend a higher speed.

Overall it's the best of the high speed internet that's available around here but that's not saying much since the options are: Comcast cable modem, DSL, Satellite, or use your neighbor's wifi.

member for 1 year, 0 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by noc007 See Profile

• Location: Cumming,Forsyth,GA
Good "Connection is relatively reliable"
Bad "Customer service is terrible, Business Class is twice the price of Residential, SMC D3G"
Overall "For home use, I don't see the value in Business Class over Residential"

I moved into a new house back in September 2011 and would be working from home for half the week. At the time Residential had a cap which I wasn't sure I could keep my usage under the cap. I was informed by a sales rep that Business Class had a different and better Customer Service callcenter and techs with 4 hour resolution SLA; this was a lie.

Even though this review is on their Business internet service, I did want to touch on having this type of account at a Residence with Residential TV service is affected. I ordered the Residential TV service at the same time as I ordered Business Internet. This has caused my address to be flagged as a business address in their system so checking on the Residential Internet service pricing or TV service tiers doesn't work; I am told this can be corrected with a call to Customer Service, but haven't had a need yet. I went to a local Comcast office to start Residential service and pick up a tuner box, which didn't work. A truck roll was ordered for around the same time the Business service was to be installed; the Business installer showed up, but the Residential tech was canceled with no good reason why. I can only assume they canceled it because the Business contractor would be there, but he only had new SMC D3Gs and wouldn't touch any residential equipment.

At the time of ordering the Business service, one could not own their own modem unless they fought with customer service so I had to lease a SMC D3G and there was no choice in the matter. This device is a cable modem with 4 up and down bonded streams, router, and 4 port gigabit switch in one unit. One of these gateways must be used if one is going to have static IPs. Feature set of the gateway is minimal with basic LAN DHCP and port forwarding. There is no option for VLANs, DHCP reservations, IPv6 (supposedly a new firmware will add this in the near future), and cannot be put into bridge mode. Customer Service can put it into bridge mode, but this is unsupported and will probably be taken out of bridge mode during an audit without your foreknowledge.

Overall the unit functioned ok with occasional loss in service. About 10 months of service I started to have random drops. Calling into customer service resulted in the tech not able to find a problem and ordered a truck roll for a few days out. Supposedly that was the best that they could do. When the tech arrived, he immediately found the signals from the node to be messed up. He checked on the other modems in the neighborhood and found they were experiencing the same problem. He informed me that this was something the phone tech should have checked and could have the node looked into instead of sending someone to my house. He attempted to get in touch with his supervisor to see if someone can look at the node the same day, but he was not responding. Because of this and that the next day was a holiday, no one would probably look at it for a couple of days. He gave me his mobile number and asked me to follow up with him in a couple of days; I did try a few times after the holiday, but he never picked up or responded to my voicemails. I can only assume that it has been fixed since the behavior has stopped.

Update:

Since starting the service the SB6120 and SB6121 have been approved as customer owned equipment to get rid of the shoddy SMCD3G and it's monthly lease cost. There have been successful reports in the forums and on Amazon where people have used modems that are on the Residential list on a Business account. I have personally gotten a Zoom 5341J because of its better tolerance of messed up signals and used a custom built pfSense firewall; the 5341J was activated via Comcast's walled garden so I didn't get any grief from support. Speeds are remarkably faster since I went with this setup a couple of weeks ago. IPv6 is also working quite well.

I went with Business because it wasn't much more than Residential, supposedly would have better support, and had no caps. Overall support is on par with Residential and I wouldn't be surprised if they're the same people these days.Residential has a number of fantastic promotions in my area and the proposed $10 overages could easily be covered by savings. When my contract is up, I'll be seriously considering moving to Residential service; all of the supposed benefits for the increase in cost just aren't there. The only thing that would prevent me from doing this is if they reintroduce small caps and false-positive CAS alerts get out of control. A reduction in service cost (unlikely) and better customer service would also prevent me from canceling the Business service.

Final Update:

My two year contract is up in September of 2013. Per my contract, I need to provide two months notice to cancel service if I don't want the contract to auto-renew. In June I contacted customer service to discuss what I need to do to cancel service as I have found little value in the price premium of the service. The rep on the phone informed me that I may cancel early, sign the paper work that day, and service would cancel in two months. Done, I awaited my August 18th cutoff; in the interim Comcast announced that it would be bringing caps back to Residential service; one of the big reasons for using Business class was because of no caps and Residential went no caps soon after I signed up; sometimes I wonder if Comcast makes these policy changes based solely on where I have service with them.

A few days before the 18th I added internet service on my Residential account for the much faster 50/10. When the Business servce would be cut, I would then use the walled garden setup and enter in my Residential account number to provision the modem. The 18th came and went and business service continued at the paltry 16/5. A week after no disconnect, I called Business customer service in hopes that they could remove the modem and deprovision service. The rep saw that the deprovision ticket was pending some matter that he didn't know. He gave me the ticket number and said that it would take three days at the latest to complete. Two days out I called int asking for a status and could not be provided one. I called each day thereafter asking each rep if they could just remove the modem from the account and a week later I finally got a competent rep; he knew exactly what to do and within a minute my modem no longer had service. A good power cycle and I was met with the walled garden where I was able to get my service back up and running, but had difficulty getting 50/10 and that's another review.

Thoughts:

Business service at a residence is really only worth it if Residential service has caps. If the Residential service does not have caps, it's not worth it. The other possible plus is the Business service is not a part of the Six Strikes anti-piracy program, but the RIAA and MPAA are still free to solicit your account details and file a law suit; granted my account was listed as my first name twice and I may not have been able to be properly subpoenaed (IANAL). Running one's own server on Residential service is against the AUP, however people do this all the time with PogoPlug, LogMeIn, GoToPC, etc. If one was running a service for personal use and generated little traffic, I doubt Comcast would care; I have done this with every ISP and have not been banned or talked to about it.

If one does use Business class at a residence, I encourage your to buy your own modem to avoid the rental fees. They may force one to use their equipment upon setup, but one may provision their own modem via the walled garden and return their equipment. Hold on to the original box and sales receipt of your modem as Comcast has been known to claim them as their own on occasion with little recourse for you; another reason why I chose the modem I did was part of proof that it would be impossible for that modem to be theirs under Business class. When return Comcast's crappy modem/gateway, hold on to the return receipt as well as proof the modem was returned; Comcast has been known to loose their equipment and blame the customer.

It's a real shame that Business class no longer has the great customer service or SLAs that I had head of before. Now it's just a slower, more expensive version of their Residential service with potentially the only benefit being no caps. I have heard that as the introduce caps, they're going to discourage people from signing up for business service at a residence. The is purely a rumor, but if true, tell them you work from home and need better quality service; you may want to negotiate better SLAs and faster speed without increased cost of their advertised service.

member for 12.3 years, 663 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Andrew Gates

@myvzw.com

Re

When I had Comcast residential interwebz when I lived in Detroit, there were several months I blasted over the 250GB "cap". One month I hit 750GB. However, due to Wide Open West and Whatever that god awful wanna-be fiber to the node that AT&Shame peddles being installed in the area just before I moved to Michigan, I was quite amazed at how much better I was treated. It's amazing what competition will do. I can't even think of a time a telecom had actually treated me like a customer and didn't put me through hell over anything they can get a dime out of. In Detroit, their caps are not enforced because they actually have to try to hang on to the business that has graced them. I know their reputation is like Time Warner and BP kind of bad, and I know their treatment of me and provision of a 50/25mbps connection for only $45/month was due 100% to the fact that I could tell them their modems on the porch and have WoW out to install the same thing the next day with no skin off my back.

I miss that connection. I moved back to the land of Time Warner and, despite it costing twice as much, it's six times slower and I have to reset the modem about 10 times a day, as does our entire neighborhood for the last several years with TWC refusing to acknowledge there's an issue. I'm an inch away of notifying the FCC about it, but then I remember it won't help since they too appear to be against us now. Maybe I'll stop paying the FCC taxes on my bill. Put them in an escrow account. God I hate American telecoms. I don't know how you could manage a company so poorly that all day your customers dream of setting you on fire. The good part is, TWC invested like nothing into technology and made their customers despise them so much that once one brick goes, the whole thing will be gone in less than a decade. I welcome the day time Warner implodes. My entire city will dance in the streets, never to reset modems every 20 minutes again. It will be such a relief, the ensuing parade would go on for three days straight. That's not even including all the other festivities that one could only dream about whilst standing above the ruins of one of the top 3 worst, most filthy, borderline criminal companies in American times. It's like Enron, except Enron had recently been degregulated and c'mon... We're not that stupid and are quite sure as long as Comcast, cable vision and time's nasty a** are still oligopoly-ing the place to hell, we need regulators (and shotguns) for protection.

I'm not sure what the competition situation is where you are, but it sounds like Comcast is the only one judging on how they're handling you. I would demand early termination of the contract since they didn't hold up their end with the 4 hour service call. At least threaten not to send the check so you can shake them down for some free HBO or something. Threaten to go back to dished antennas and put pictures of the flintstone aged device hanging off your house, pointed to the sky, with a caption that says 'comcasts service was so bad in the area I had to take drastic measures to communicate with the outside world." And at the very least, ensure they do not charge you for the time they fragged their hooves in fixing it. Lord knows they'll try.

Review by ccwtech See Profile

• Location: South Jordan,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Fast most of the time"
Bad "Way too expensive! Comcast rapes their customers!"
Overall "I wish there was more competition."

Comcast is usually pretty fast and I have had only a few issues with it. It is the ONLY high speed option for me as I am too far away from the telco substation. Comcast is way too expensive and if there were only some competition I am sure the prices would drop. A few blocks away users have fiber (another carrier) and Comcast charges 2X as much as I pay there for the same connection. If I had other options I would definitely be 'shopping'. Comcast needs to stop screwing their customers.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by NOCTech75 See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Cobb,GA
Good "Fast order to delivery time"
Bad "Packet loss and the support has stunk"
Overall "Hoping to cut the cord"

Initial on 04/08Scores are kept low only because of what I know... pre-sales info was easily found. Install was a breeze. With a little research from DSLR I obtained a SB6210 and a WNDR3700. Install time was about 45 minutes. So far so good, rock solid signal levels.

Update on 04/09: Just VNC'd into my work box, HUGE improvement over AT&T. Much more responsive, looks like AT&T was holding me back there.

Update on 04/11: Ran my 35 car iRace, service was fantastic. Consistent 100 millisecond pings, the switch will begin tomorrow.

Update on 05/03: Had an issue with disconnects.and posted in the Comcast Direct forum. ComcastSteve reprovisioned my modem on the 21st, log files clean since then. Very surprised and pleased with the Comcast quality.

Update on 07/06: Still a happy customer, now have 3 upstream channels bonded. Service is working smoothly.

10/9/2012 - Second go with a packet loss issue, previous time was a few months ago and correct in a couple of weeks. This time it has been more difficult and as such the scores have been down graded heavily. Support sees no issue, Comcast Steve has been very little help. Getting tons of ranging errors, not sure if this is a firmware issue or something else.

3/8/2013 - Packet loss has been clear about 3ish months now. No contact from Comcast telling me the issue but the problems I was seeing with channel 2 upstream not ranging have gone away. All channels up and with decent signal levels.

7/24/13 - Packet loss has returned, same thing happened in the end of June. Everything is effected, posted in Comcast Direct, who knows if that will get the issue fixed.

7/26/13 - Issue fixed, seems to be stable again, scores slightly increased.

9/06/13 - Here we go again... T3 timeouts have started yet again. Packet loss when gaming and tech support keeps blaming everything else but their shoddy network here. Browsing is slow, watching Netflix is slow, packet loss when gaming.. guess I'm stuck waiting until enough people bitch they actually do something.

9/15/13 - Issue appears to be fixed, mandatory truck roll on Thursday didn't improve things much as there was an "outage" during this team. Outage was resolved Friday however came back Saturday and appears to have been resolved again.. this created packet loss which is a huge problem for iRacing and BF3. Scores will not be updated until they can keep things clean for 3 months.

member for 5.3 years, 1925 visits, last login: 82 days ago

Comments:

Review by BellSouthBS See Profile

• Location: Fort Lauderdale,Broward,FL
Good "Fast 50mb service"
Bad "*Lazy installers who refuse to climb poles *Tech (on service call next door) connected me for $20 *No NETFLIX 3D or SUPER HD"
Overall "COMCRAP refuses NETFLIX 3D and SUPER HD !!! Will be DISCONNECTING COMCAST after trial. Install dept is WORTHLESS."

·Clear Wireless
·AT&T Southeast
I have CLEAR (Clearwire) internet, and since CLEARWIRE is part of the Netflix Content Delivery Network (CDN), I can receive NETFLIX Super HD programming on two different TV's at the same time, or watch one 3D movie and still have enough bandwidth for the kids to do homework.

>>> COMCAST refuses *NETFLIX SUPER HD* and *NETFLIX 3D* PROGRAMMING

I was quoted $64 /mo for internet, and I pay $39 for the first six months. The true cost per month turned out to be $74.95 + $7 modem rental per month for internet service (50 mb/s down & 10 mb/s up), with a $34 discount for the first 6 months.

Since the new H.265 video compression codec specifications have now been finalized, it appears that the new *4K VIDEO* format will require a 35 mb/s data stream. With this in mind, I ordered the 50 mb/s "BLAST" internet service that Comcast is offering in my area. I placed the order on August 30. I paid $30 extra shipping to have the modem delivered overnight, which turned out to be 3 days later.

It was another 5 days later when the first installer finally showed up late on a Friday night at 8 pm. He definitely did not want to be there, and told me he couldn't install my cable, which was laying on the ground. He said leaves on a branch were hiding the tap on the cable, and he couldn't climb the ladder if he could not see the tap from the ground. He left.

Two supervisors came out the following Wednesday, and both said all the installer has to do is snap the small branch or move the leaves aside. A 280 pound installer that looked like Santa Clause in a bright red Comcast shirt, showed up unexpectedly the following afternoon. I greeted him at the gate, and the first thing out of his mouth was "I against this!" He didn't even say hello, but he made it clear that he also did not want to be here, and then refused to even take his ladder off the truck. Maybe he was scared off by the first installer. So much for my cable being connected.

On Friday the 13th, a Comcast truck pulled up and parked at the edge of my property. It turned out he was on a call for the neighbor, but said he would connect my cable when he was done. After finishing next door, he pulled his ladder from the truck, and within 5 minutes he connected my cable, saying "Don't tell anyone." I slipped him a $20

I connected the modem, and it brought me to a registration page. It said "Registration may take up to 30 minutes." An hour later I called tech support, and they told me there is a problem with their computer system, and they would manually activate my modem. 5 minutes later I was connected.

I noticed something quirky about speed. It appears that Comcast may not have enough bandwidth to offer 50 mb service to more than a few people at a time. Comcast was selling way overloaded service to the Western part of Broward County about several years back. They had to put in several more pipes from their Pompano office to handle all the new Pembroke Pines customers, and my "high speed internet" was dipping below 1 mb/s during early evening. It has been my experience that Comcast does the least possible to avoid being taken to court, and only responds when there is an FCC complaint. Low Comcast throughput was verified by NDT Test Servers, which identified a bottleneck OC-12 cable, which is only good for a 622 mb/s data rate. Jitter also varied considerably, ranging from 2.5 ms to 10 ms between my location and the pingtest.net server.

These are the same cable companies who got their start by stealing programming from TV Broadcasters, and not paying them a penny. Ironically, these cable companies then prosecuted anyone who tapped into their cable. They are still stealing from the public by denying NETFLIX 3D and SUPER HD service to their paying customers. This appears to meet the legal requirement for DENIAL OF SERVICE.

Because of Comcrap's "Bait and Switch" and withholding of services, I will be cancelling service very shortly.

P.S. I should also mention that Comcast has billed me since August 30, almost 2 weeks before I was even connected.... No problem with speed in their billing department.

-30-

Comments:
Rob_
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Don't pay the bill

I wouldn't pay the bill till you were connected and running, it's a shame, you were probably talking to India, I don't think Mexico has any call centers.

Another step would be to come here and file a report with a level 2 tech:

»Comcast Direct

They can disconnect you for what? No service at all?

Also, billing is usually located in the states, you can also request to speak to a supervisor or level 2 tech on the phone.

9/9/1999? Yea, this is an example why ISP's need to stop outsourcing, what can we do, switch to google fiber?

-Rob

Furrever Fur
join:2012-02-20
united state
·Vonage

Re: Don't pay the bill

said by Rob_:

In theory, I agree with that but ... ! Besides Comcast billing one month in advance, they are faster than a fly on manure to disconnect for non-pay AND - within seconds, it would appear - to turn people over to collections. That's another can of worms. Sorry, cliche ridden morning.

Do what Rob suggested about using the Comcast Direct forum. I'd presume they would also be able to give you billing adjustments.
RokHed

join:2000-09-09
Pennsville, NJ

Re: Don't pay the bill

The Comcast direct forum has been dead for months. Shortly after Steve left it went dormant

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-05
united state

Denial of Service?

"by denying NETFLIX 3D and SUPER HD service to their paying customers. This appears to meet the legal requirement for DENIAL OF SERVICE"

To call this denial of service is akin to saying that its their duty to offer you every single channel available to them regardless of what the cost to them will be or who wants it. You may as well say they should give HBO free to every customer and that its denial of service if they don't.
Timmn

join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL

It probably doesn't have to be said,

But I will anyway.

To Comcast, Netflix is the enemy, they don't want you to use their internet to stream from Netflix. If you want video, sign up for their cable service.
FactChecker
join:2008-06-03

You got this wrong

SuperHD is 1080p and something many video providers send just fine to comcast today. Netflix is the one blocking this unless they get special privileges from Comcast

NF demands free hosting, power and dedicated network or they will block superhd. They want to pass their infrastructure costs to you
"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy
"Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Review by Mic See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Good "Fast connection most of the time with some hiccups still."
Bad "Stability, being charged for service calls to fix my internet."
Overall "Not worth the money."

Changed my mind about everything recently Comcast. Really expensive service and I have to pay $50 for service calls to fix something where it should have been fixed from the first time that they were called for a service call. Not even going to bother complaining to them.

member for 11.7 years, 4431 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by pidginbil See Profile

• Location: San Carlos,San Mateo,CA
Good "Service has been good for 15 out of 16 years"
Bad "This past year, especially the past 5 months I've maxed at 10 Mbps download with frequent top speeds < 1Mbps"
Overall "I want them to succeed. I'm Ok paying so much for Cable TV/Internet. I just want it to work as advertised."

Comcast historically has met my expectations. Recently, however, my service is a nightmare of inconsistency. Sadly, their online technical support is worse and their field service policies and quality is a disaster. What is a loyal customer to do? Sigh.