Review by wchillman See Profile

• Location: Gig Harbor,Pierce,WA
Good "Service"
Bad "Cost"
Overall "We need competition!"

We have Comcast’s Performance Starter which is advertised at 6 down and 1 up and have no Comcast cable TV or voice. We have free access to basic HD network TV but never watch it as the commercials make up nearly 1/3 of every viewing hour. I think we have been spoiled by Netflix in this regard...the ability to enjoy commercial free TV has been a welcome change. In fact, I think Comcast should pay us to watch those inane commercials. Republic Wireless is our choice for voice, so no landline or Comcast for that either. As cord-cutters and use the Roku for all of our TV viewing. My only beef with the Roku has been its inability to decode Dolby Digital 5.1 plus. The Performance Starter is more than adequate to stream Netflix and Vudu in HD but I need to say that we are a hardwired single stream household. Some other channels will buffer occasionally but Netflix and Vudu are near perfect. I’ve also noticed that there is a tendency to think that “more is better” when it comes to internet speed but the concept of “good enough” seems to be overlooked. Comcast’s Performance Starter is more than “good enough” for all our TV viewing as well as VOIP and internet use.

Comcast’s installation and customer service has been quite good and I only remember one or maybe two times when their system was down over the years we have had them. My issue has never been with their service…just the price: $49.95/month for a 6/1 speed feels like we are being fleeced. Maybe we could get better prices and speeds if the U.S. Department of Justice initiated an antitrust lawsuit and broke up this monopoly like they did against AT&T in the 1970s.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

jlatimer

@comcast.net

Competition is necessary

While I agree that competition is necessary, Comcast is not at fault in this regard. Building and maintaining the infrastructure necessary to support telecommunications is not cheap, if it were, you would see a lot more competition out there. Just like you don't see car manufacturers popping up every day, you don't see telecom providers popping up.

If you want to see more competition start at the source, the manufacturers of fiber and network communication equipment, and the content owners such as ESPN and others charging an arm and a leg for their service and requiring it to be on basic tiers of service.
wchillman

join:2011-11-20
Gig Harbor, WA

Re: Competition is necessary

I overpay these clowns for sub-par speeds while the executives collect their multi-million dollar salaries. Comcast in particular and the cable monopoly in general is at fault. Here is the solution:

»billmoyers.com/segment/susan-cra···-unfair/

Review by rakster See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Great speeds"
Bad "Cost, bad service"
Overall "Speed is great just hope nothing breaks"

I have had Comcast for 2.5 years and except for a couple of connectivity problems the service has been good. I like the speed, even more since the recent upgrades which bumped me to the 12/2 speed tier. The tech support has been awful. When I had problems I actually told the tech what to look for to solve the problems. The service is also expensive, but I pay since my only other option is dsl which no longer fits my needs. I don't even mind the 250GB cap. My only beef is when my speed gets cut back if I use to much bandwidth. Even tho the cutback is temporary it pisses me off. Why give me the speed if your not going to allow me to use it?

Update 4/17/13 - Got my new speed upgrade yesterday and it worked without a hitch. Now getting 25/5 at same price ($65). No more powerboost. Overall I have liked the service except when help was needed. I have no competition in my area so my price will only go up.

member for 13.5 years, 3703 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by gugarci See Profile

• Location: Lyndhurst,Bergen,NJ
Good "Speed"
Bad "service unreliable during storms, customer service"
Overall "Speed when it works"

Original Review:

Overall I have mixed feeling about Comcast HSI it's great when it's working and you can't complain about the speed. My service has gone down 2 times in the last couple of weeks. Both times it took 4 days before the techs were able to get my service running again. The supervisors and managers will not return your call if you asked to speak to someone in charge. It's like no one on the phone side cares. When I had TV service from Comcast I used to pay $40 per month. When I moved into my new house Comcast told us if was going to take a week to reinstall my services. Direct TV came in the next day. Since we cancelled the TV service I now pay $60 per month. The service was acceptable at $40, but at $60 is no longer acceptable.

Updated 3/23/2013

As of February of this year I finally got rid of Comcast. During the last 2 storms, Irene & Sandy my service has been down while my neighbors with Fios had no service outages.During Irene I was without service for 4 days, during Sandy 2 weeks!!!!! I know these were both devastating storms. But when my next door neighbors have no outages with Fios it was time to move on. Specially since they were charging $60 a month.

I spoke to Comcast while my service was down from Irene and inquired about a better price. I mentioned I was looking into Fios. But a Comcast rep told me that $60 a month was the best price they could give me for my basic internet package.

Goodbye Comcast.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Phil See Profile

• Location: Downers Grove,Dupage,IL
Good "Quick install scheduled."
Bad "Long install time (3.5 hours), install tech could not figure out Internet connection issue; HBO not inlcuded as stated in packag"
Overall "Did not get what I ordered... If you have other options use them."

Will update.

lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Braincramp See Profile

• Location: Beaverton,Washington,OR
Good "Installer was friendly and explained everything well"
Bad "High latency at peak times and random down time during early morning hours"
Overall "I prefered Frontier to Comcast"

We have the highest speed available from comcast in our area, but at times have high latency/lag. We also get better connectivity from the wireless than our lan cable. Had to have them come out and replace the modem/router after about 2 months, the installer said they had been having problems with that model and still installed the same model even though we requested that he change it out to a better one at our expense(he even metioned he had the upgaded model in truck, but would still not switch it out). Overall less than impressed with Comcast Xfinity

lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by JasonW See Profile

• Location: Wilsonville,Clackamas,OR
Good "I have had little issue w/ the connection seems very solid"
Bad "Price....it has slowly been creeping up from the $51/mo i started at and now is at $68"
Overall "I am switching to Fios at $38 /month with a locked price for 3 years."

Connection is solid, seems to always be up. When there are issues, they make you jump through a ton of hoops to verify it is not user error and something simple. In 2 years it has gone down 3 times. After 2-3 hours on the phone with them, it was deemed to be an issue on their end, which is what I indicated when I first called.

I also feel like the price is slowly creeping upwards, just a little at a time every month.

Comments:

Review by ArrayList See Profile

• Location: Evanston,Cook,IL
Good "reliable"
Bad "expensive, rarely get speed upgrades"
Overall "if you want no caps, you pay the price"

Currently have 16megabit down and 3 megabit up.

It works as advertised. Just wish the speed upgrades happened as often as residential customers.

member for 9.1 years, 2154 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ggschaefer See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Alexandria City,VA
Good "When working, speed is great"
Bad "Neighbors and I have complained about dropping link with no correction in sight after 5 months of intermitent failures"
Overall "Go DSL until Comcast gets their act together to fix cable"

My neighbors and I get speeds that are great for periods of time and then randomly at night and in the middle of the day all our modems drop for periods of time. It is bad if you work from home and are on a telecon. I have called 5 times and complained within a 2 month period. Now I call and ask for a manger and within 30 minutes the problem resolves, but a manager never calls me back. They are always busy. Problem is that the city Franchised and there is not real competion otherwise I would be on FIOS.

Comments:

Review by wcweaver See Profile

• Location: Fort Myers,Lee,FL
Good "Very fast down load 20Mb+ and reliable service"
Bad "Price is ridiculous"
Overall "Good service with minimal downtime"

·callwithus
Only real option as the only other provider CenturyLink is still only able to provide 768k in our neighborhood although they advertise 1.5M as being available.

Comcast has competed DOCSIS 3 upgrade.

The price is totally ridiculous since in most areas CenturyLink provides no competition.

They want you to bundle basic cable Internet price same $72 with or without basic cable.

Comments:

BoteMan

join:2002-11-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL

More detail please

More detail please

Review by xpbx See Profile

• Location: Mechanicsburg,Cumberland,PA
Good "none"
Bad " CSR and tech support try to make you feel like an E-tard"
Overall "i switched to fios"

just switched to verizon FIOS. the 35/35 plan totally kicks comcasts ass. get fios when you can, cheaper and more reliable. adios comcrap!

may be getting the 150/35 plan but only if they at least double the upload speed.

UPDATE AS OF FEB 23 2013....

THE SCREENCAP IS OF MY AWESOME, NO CAP, FIOS KICKING COMCASTS ASS. if you still have the choice of comcast or FIOS you lose if you use comcast. verizon is worth the pain they inflict with the conversion process and billing.