Review by ccwtech See Profile

• Location: South Jordan,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Fast most of the time"
Bad "Way too expensive! Comcast rapes their customers!"
Overall "I wish there was more competition."

Comcast is usually pretty fast and I have had only a few issues with it. It is the ONLY high speed option for me as I am too far away from the telco substation. Comcast is way too expensive and if there were only some competition I am sure the prices would drop. A few blocks away users have fiber (another carrier) and Comcast charges 2X as much as I pay there for the same connection. If I had other options I would definitely be 'shopping'. Comcast needs to stop screwing their customers.

Comments:

Review by NOCTech75 See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Cobb,GA
Good "Fast order to delivery time"
Bad "Packet loss and the support has stunk"
Overall "Hoping to cut the cord"

Initial on 04/08Scores are kept low only because of what I know... pre-sales info was easily found. Install was a breeze. With a little research from DSLR I obtained a SB6210 and a WNDR3700. Install time was about 45 minutes. So far so good, rock solid signal levels.

Update on 04/09: Just VNC'd into my work box, HUGE improvement over AT&T. Much more responsive, looks like AT&T was holding me back there.

Update on 04/11: Ran my 35 car iRace, service was fantastic. Consistent 100 millisecond pings, the switch will begin tomorrow.

Update on 05/03: Had an issue with disconnects.and posted in the Comcast Direct forum. ComcastSteve reprovisioned my modem on the 21st, log files clean since then. Very surprised and pleased with the Comcast quality.

Update on 07/06: Still a happy customer, now have 3 upstream channels bonded. Service is working smoothly.

10/9/2012 - Second go with a packet loss issue, previous time was a few months ago and correct in a couple of weeks. This time it has been more difficult and as such the scores have been down graded heavily. Support sees no issue, Comcast Steve has been very little help. Getting tons of ranging errors, not sure if this is a firmware issue or something else.

3/8/2013 - Packet loss has been clear about 3ish months now. No contact from Comcast telling me the issue but the problems I was seeing with channel 2 upstream not ranging have gone away. All channels up and with decent signal levels.

7/24/13 - Packet loss has returned, same thing happened in the end of June. Everything is effected, posted in Comcast Direct, who knows if that will get the issue fixed.

7/26/13 - Issue fixed, seems to be stable again, scores slightly increased.

9/06/13 - Here we go again... T3 timeouts have started yet again. Packet loss when gaming and tech support keeps blaming everything else but their shoddy network here. Browsing is slow, watching Netflix is slow, packet loss when gaming.. guess I'm stuck waiting until enough people bitch they actually do something.

9/15/13 - Issue appears to be fixed, mandatory truck roll on Thursday didn't improve things much as there was an "outage" during this team. Outage was resolved Friday however came back Saturday and appears to have been resolved again.. this created packet loss which is a huge problem for iRacing and BF3. Scores will not be updated until they can keep things clean for 3 months.

member for 5.4 years, 1925 visits, last login: 116 days ago

Comments:

Review by BellSouthBS See Profile

• Location: Fort Lauderdale,Broward,FL
Good "Fast 50mb service"
Bad "*Lazy installers who refuse to climb poles *Tech (on service call next door) connected me for $20 *No NETFLIX 3D or SUPER HD"
Overall "COMCRAP refuses NETFLIX 3D and SUPER HD !!! Will be DISCONNECTING COMCAST after trial. Install dept is WORTHLESS."

·Clear Wireless
·AT&T Southeast
I have CLEAR (Clearwire) internet, and since CLEARWIRE is part of the Netflix Content Delivery Network (CDN), I can receive NETFLIX Super HD programming on two different TV's at the same time, or watch one 3D movie and still have enough bandwidth for the kids to do homework.

>>> COMCAST refuses *NETFLIX SUPER HD* and *NETFLIX 3D* PROGRAMMING

I was quoted $64 /mo for internet, and I pay $39 for the first six months. The true cost per month turned out to be $74.95 + $7 modem rental per month for internet service (50 mb/s down & 10 mb/s up), with a $34 discount for the first 6 months.

Since the new H.265 video compression codec specifications have now been finalized, it appears that the new *4K VIDEO* format will require a 35 mb/s data stream. With this in mind, I ordered the 50 mb/s "BLAST" internet service that Comcast is offering in my area. I placed the order on August 30. I paid $30 extra shipping to have the modem delivered overnight, which turned out to be 3 days later.

It was another 5 days later when the first installer finally showed up late on a Friday night at 8 pm. He definitely did not want to be there, and told me he couldn't install my cable, which was laying on the ground. He said leaves on a branch were hiding the tap on the cable, and he couldn't climb the ladder if he could not see the tap from the ground. He left.

Two supervisors came out the following Wednesday, and both said all the installer has to do is snap the small branch or move the leaves aside. A 280 pound installer that looked like Santa Clause in a bright red Comcast shirt, showed up unexpectedly the following afternoon. I greeted him at the gate, and the first thing out of his mouth was "I against this!" He didn't even say hello, but he made it clear that he also did not want to be here, and then refused to even take his ladder off the truck. Maybe he was scared off by the first installer. So much for my cable being connected.

On Friday the 13th, a Comcast truck pulled up and parked at the edge of my property. It turned out he was on a call for the neighbor, but said he would connect my cable when he was done. After finishing next door, he pulled his ladder from the truck, and within 5 minutes he connected my cable, saying "Don't tell anyone." I slipped him a $20

I connected the modem, and it brought me to a registration page. It said "Registration may take up to 30 minutes." An hour later I called tech support, and they told me there is a problem with their computer system, and they would manually activate my modem. 5 minutes later I was connected.

I noticed something quirky about speed. It appears that Comcast may not have enough bandwidth to offer 50 mb service to more than a few people at a time. Comcast was selling way overloaded service to the Western part of Broward County about several years back. They had to put in several more pipes from their Pompano office to handle all the new Pembroke Pines customers, and my "high speed internet" was dipping below 1 mb/s during early evening. It has been my experience that Comcast does the least possible to avoid being taken to court, and only responds when there is an FCC complaint. Low Comcast throughput was verified by NDT Test Servers, which identified a bottleneck OC-12 cable, which is only good for a 622 mb/s data rate. Jitter also varied considerably, ranging from 2.5 ms to 10 ms between my location and the pingtest.net server.

These are the same cable companies who got their start by stealing programming from TV Broadcasters, and not paying them a penny. Ironically, these cable companies then prosecuted anyone who tapped into their cable. They are still stealing from the public by denying NETFLIX 3D and SUPER HD service to their paying customers. This appears to meet the legal requirement for DENIAL OF SERVICE.

Because of Comcrap's "Bait and Switch" and withholding of services, I will be cancelling service very shortly.

P.S. I should also mention that Comcast has billed me since August 30, almost 2 weeks before I was even connected.... No problem with speed in their billing department.

-30-

Comments:
Rob_
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Don't pay the bill

I wouldn't pay the bill till you were connected and running, it's a shame, you were probably talking to India, I don't think Mexico has any call centers.

Another step would be to come here and file a report with a level 2 tech:

»Comcast Direct

They can disconnect you for what? No service at all?

Also, billing is usually located in the states, you can also request to speak to a supervisor or level 2 tech on the phone.

9/9/1999? Yea, this is an example why ISP's need to stop outsourcing, what can we do, switch to google fiber?

-Rob

FureverFurry
join:2012-02-20
Wyoming, MI
·Vonage

Re: Don't pay the bill

said by Rob_:

In theory, I agree with that but ... ! Besides Comcast billing one month in advance, they are faster than a fly on manure to disconnect for non-pay AND - within seconds, it would appear - to turn people over to collections. That's another can of worms. Sorry, cliche ridden morning.

Do what Rob suggested about using the Comcast Direct forum. I'd presume they would also be able to give you billing adjustments.
RokHed

join:2000-09-09
Pennsville, NJ

Re: Don't pay the bill

The Comcast direct forum has been dead for months. Shortly after Steve left it went dormant

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-05
united state

Denial of Service?

"by denying NETFLIX 3D and SUPER HD service to their paying customers. This appears to meet the legal requirement for DENIAL OF SERVICE"

To call this denial of service is akin to saying that its their duty to offer you every single channel available to them regardless of what the cost to them will be or who wants it. You may as well say they should give HBO free to every customer and that its denial of service if they don't.
Timmn

join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL

It probably doesn't have to be said,

But I will anyway.

To Comcast, Netflix is the enemy, they don't want you to use their internet to stream from Netflix. If you want video, sign up for their cable service.
FactChecker
join:2008-06-03

You got this wrong

SuperHD is 1080p and something many video providers send just fine to comcast today. Netflix is the one blocking this unless they get special privileges from Comcast

NF demands free hosting, power and dedicated network or they will block superhd. They want to pass their infrastructure costs to you
"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy
"Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Review by Mic See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Good "Fast connection most of the time with some hiccups still."
Bad "Stability, being charged for service calls to fix my internet."
Overall "Not worth the money."

Changed my mind about everything recently Comcast. Really expensive service and I have to pay $50 for service calls to fix something where it should have been fixed from the first time that they were called for a service call. Not even going to bother complaining to them.

Comments:

Review by pidginbil See Profile

• Location: San Carlos,San Mateo,CA
Good "Service has been good for 15 out of 16 years"
Bad "This past year, especially the past 5 months I've maxed at 10 Mbps download with frequent top speeds < 1Mbps"
Overall "I want them to succeed. I'm Ok paying so much for Cable TV/Internet. I just want it to work as advertised."

Comcast historically has met my expectations. Recently, however, my service is a nightmare of inconsistency. Sadly, their online technical support is worse and their field service policies and quality is a disaster. What is a loyal customer to do? Sigh.

Comments:

Review by Mollie See Profile

• Location: Savannah,Chatham,GA
Good "Few outages."
Bad "Old equipment. Customer service. Too much money for too little."
Overall "If you have another option, choose a company other than Comcast."

I moved recently from Bakersfield, California, where I had Brighthouse, to Port Wentworth, Georgia, where I now have Comcast. I use Comcast for my ISP and for cable television, just as I did Brighthouse.

I thoroughly and completely dislike Comcast, but unfortunately I had no other alternative but to go with them for an ISP as I live too far out in the country to get DSL.

When I first signed up for Comcast, I chose to get my own equipment and set up my cable and internet myself as I have many, many times before. Mistakenly, I thought it would be as easy as Brighthouse - plug the equipment in and go! Not so with Comcast. Plug the equipment in and then call a special number (or go online, but that's kind of funny when they tell you that because you can't GET online unless you've activated the modem!) to activate each piece of equipment individually. Wait time: possibly 45 minutes per piece of equipment before it is fully functional. Really? In this day and age? You even have to have a "box" (that won't lie flat on any surface because it is so small that the cable cord pulls on it) for basic cable. Not so with Brighthouse - just plug the cable cord directly into the back of the TV and you were good to go!

So, after attempting to activate my equipment, of course there was a cable box that didn't work. So back I go to Comcast, to wait another 45 minutes in line to exchange the box. Get the new box home, and it partly activates. Call customer service - where they have you redo everything you've already done yourself to try to get it to activate. Customer service spends more time apologizing and telling you that they will fix the problem than they do actually trying to fix the problem! It took me, honest to God, about 2 minutes to get the customer service rep to stop apologizing and start fixing. Very frustrating, but they did finally find the problem. Another defective piece of equipment which I again had to return and replace. At least the replacement worked! But it took a full 3 days before my service was completely activated. Fast forward a few months: I had to have my cable service turned off because of money problems, and they came and collected the equipment, which was fine. When I finally was able to turn my cable service back on, I again went to Comcast to get the equipment. And AGAIN, one of the boxes didn't work. It was a complete repeat of my first trip to Comcast. So, to sum it up, I have had Comcast service for a total of about 6 months, and I have been to Comcast 5 times, and 3 of those times was to return defective equipment! (Not to mention that each and every time I've been to the Comcast office, I've waited in line for over 45 minutes, one time I even waited an hour and a half.)

Comcast's equipment is OLD. And I mean OLD. On the back of 3 of my boxes (I have 4 cable TV boxes (3 digital, one digital HD) and one modem) the "out" cable outlet says "TO TV/VCR." The equipment is also inconsistent, in that NONE of it is the same. I have 3 different boxes from 3 different manufacturers for my digital cable TV service.

Maybe if Comcast actually modernized and streamlined their equipment, their customers wouldn't have so many problems - and I know I'm not the only one who has equipment problems. Each and every time I've been to Comcast, every 2 to 3 people in line was there to exchange defective equipment. But, really, why SHOULD Comcast update and modernize their equipment? (Sarcasm intended!) After all, their customers don't have any other choice, so they either accept it or have no service. Too bad for the customers.

I have Blast internet service, which is supposed to be 50 Mbps. My latest speed test scores (wired!): 7654 Kb/s download; and 14469 Kb/s upload. And no, I didn't transpose or switch the numbers - my upload speed is faster than my download speed. :-(

I miss Brighthouse. I mean I really, really miss Brighthouse. They plugged you in and left you alone. Even if you were late on your bill and turned your service off, all you had to do was call and tell them when you could pay, and they'd turn you back on then and there while you were on the phone with them. Customer service was local, not outsourced to another country, equipment was modern, and they were constantly upgrading their lines.

I would like to make a plea to Brighthouse: PLEASE PLEASE come to the Savannah area!

Comments:

Bummed

@comcast.net

Comcast disappointing

I have few if any choices in new home. I have had similar experiences with so many hours logged talking/chatting to Customer Service. My billing has not been corrected ever and I was just plain lied to by so many now, that I wonder why they bother saying the calls may be recorded. Please record them for my safety! It has not even been 2 months! I bought my own modem, which drops the Wi-Fi & SSID stops broadcasting. I have no wireless networking. I've been told I need to pay someone to get someone to change some settings for my Arris modem as recommended by others with same problem. Last night, the 4th call that day, I was told that my modem was off-line for nearly 5 days and bagging on it until he realized I had an Arris modem that Comcast supports and carries. I have no alternative but to return my modem because I cannot get the support. I got rid of a home phone & AT&T as cell carrier, so I guess I need to further research alternative methods of attaining internet. Suggestions for going off that grid?

Review by Wutty See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good " Download Speed, Powerboost"
Bad "Reliability (the infrastructure in our complex is old I guess)"
Overall "Communicate with your Customers Please"

att keeps mail bombing me wanting me to transfer to Uverse and after the Roadrunner >Comcast transfer I was going to change. Well, after the seamless transfer without a hitch and the powerboost I'm staying with Comcast. Uverse wont offer more than 6megs down. I'm on the 8meg plan with Comcast and am getting very near the speeds advertised. Wish uploads were faster than 768k I'd be really happy to have a 10meg down 1meg up connection. If we had FiOS (Hint Hint Verizon) I'd be there but right now Comcast is the fastest game in my area. They Rock

UPDATE
Well all was good there for 3 months until....I HAD TO DEAL WITH TECH/CUSTOMER SUPPORT. Started having packet loss on Nov 24th and my fruitless pursuit of support began. You've read it here before folks...Tier 1 script readers(tech support) who won't escalate. So called technicians who don't show up on time or not at all. (At least call me and let me know something) Comcast is a communication company (for all intents and purposes) but communication inside the company is horrible. I'm beginning to think I'm up the creek with out a paddle.
I'm stuck with Comcast or att. Some choices huh (BARF) Issue still unresolved

Update:

Seemed to have line issues every three months up until April at which point I was close to switching to att. Well the god's must have been smiling on me that day because lo and behold Comcast's Local Big Wigs and J. D. Powers invited me to a Customer Satisfaction seminar. Needless to say I was there on time as were they, I had DSLReports Line Quality test for a week in hand. The subject of technical support came up and several of the invitees there had similar problems about horrible packet loss. The V.P. of Network engineering got an earfull regarding this from two other attendees. I don't know about the others, but the Friday following the seminar, Three Comcast Network supervisors were out at my condo finally finding and fixing the problem {a line noise issue} in roughly an hour after 2 truck rolls the week prior to the seminar. It's coming up on July (three months after the last outage). We'll see.

Speeds Great
Latency Low (at least to Dallas)

Got my Fingers Crossed

Update:

Well almost three months to the day, July 15th 2008 the packet loss monster rears it's ugly head again. I don't feel like going through this again. :-( It's like a broken record. Called tech support and it's going to be 7 days before they send a truck at which point he'll say he can't fix it and will have to get a line tech out then I'll have to wait another week probably before he shows up. PLEASE VERIZON I"M ON MY KNEES BEGGING FOR FIOS. This is insane. Tried emailing my V.P. of Network Engineering here in Houston to see if he could kick someone in the rear to get this going but no reply as of now.

Update

Got the line noise fixed and VOILA it's all good! After pulling some strings, had a tech out on July 16th at 11:00am. He seemed puzzled but kept trying to find the problem. Finally at about 1:00pm, he decided to call the line techs out. They showed up at about 2:30pm. Three vans!!! They Were Gonna Fixit By God!!! Went to Taco Bell at 5:30pm at which point the tech called on my cell to "check out my connection". I knew he'd call if I went to get something to eat. . Got back home at 5:45pm and tested my connection....all back to normal.

This is a suggestion to Comcast.
I would think that the recurring problems I've had with packet loss and subsequent diagnosis as line noise that preventative maintenance is not being done or is even required to be done. I think it would be an excellent opportunity for not only training apprentice techs as to the proper use of troubleshooting tools, but improve the overall reliability of customers connections. I was told by the tech that there were "multiple problems" that caused the issues I was having this last round. I live in a MDU thats pretty old and would imagine that some of those connectors and wires are getting corroded, chewed on by rodents, or are just poorly run.

Stay Tuned !

Update: Post Hurricane Ike.

Ray Purser Comcast's local executive(SIC?) goes on KTRH 740 (the local news station here in Houston) and says the network was working normaly. Cable service should be available when power is restored. NOT. I understand lines are down and it's been a week since the storm but WHERE'S MY CABLE? I see AT&T trucks all over the place taking care of business. Where are the Comcast trucks???? None to be seen around here. Kinda makes one wonder if Comcast is really interested in keeping customers. The way I understood the repair procedures was Comcast's linemen were supposed to be following behind the electric company's crews repairing damaged lines.

OBTW This review is being updated using my cell phone as a modem. I'm with AT@T mobile.

UPDATE 9/24/08

Service back on and stable. Good work Comcast. And to the Out of Towners that came to help...THANK YOU -THANK YOU -THANK YOU!!!!

Until next time

Update 8 10 13

Well the old Comcast is back... Started having telephony modem issues 0n 8-7-13 called tech support and stayed on hold for 34 minutes before I could talk to a tech...unhelpful at best. Called back later that evening and got a little better help...BUT they wont send out a tech until 8-13-13. so that's 6 days without phone or internet. WTF Comcast??? Why am I paying nearly 200 a month for this kind of crappy service???

Comments:

MTBikerChris
join:2001-08-28
Broomfield, CO

No Phone is the only way for a truck to roll ASAP !

Having Phone Service is a Code red and they should have sent out someone ASAP ! When i live in Houston TWC ran a truck at 11 PM just to make sure it works because if you cant call 911 its kind of there fault !

not happy

@cavtel.net

we still have no service

On Monday 8/12/2013 we were having the root of a tree chopped up and they ended up cutting the cable line. We called that night we were told they they were going to be out that night to fix it. As it turns out it was to late in the day to do that. So my 1st complaint is that ur making promises u can't keep. And not just on that conversation, u also said u were going to be out on Tuesday 8/13/2013 by 5:15pm STILL no one was there. So i went to the office and complained the lady was very nice and tried to be as helpful as she could. Since it was so late in the day she was unable to see Wed. schedule so she went ahead and scheduled me for Thrusday just incase no one came out on Wed. As of today at 2pm no one had been out yet remind you that as of Monday WE HAVE NO PHONE, NO INTERNET, AND NO CABLE. I went back to the office and i spoke with Micheal who was very helpful and spoke with his manager/supervisor about it and they said they would keep an I on it and that someone would be out today to fix it. As of3:30 pm we still have NO PHONE, NO INTERNET, AND NO CABLE. In todays world phone and internet are no longer a luxury, we need it to communicate with our clients, employers, possible employers, etc. There is no reason for us to go this long without service. I am not happy and may switch to verizon if this is how you treat ur customers

Review by uberFoo See Profile

• Location: Tucson,Pima,AZ
Good "Good speed. Usually reliable, but not so much lately."
Bad "Very expensive compared to other places in the country. Technical support is not-so-technical."
Overall "I don't have a choice. It's Comcast with 105/20Mbps or CenturyLink and a partly 20Mbps."

I've recently had a lot of trouble with Comcast. I've been overpaying ($120/month) for 105/20, which is supposed to come with 600GB data transfer per month. But for some reason my account was capped at 300GB/month. I tried for two weeks to get it sorted out via their incompetent tech support. After two weeks finally someone in the server room was brought on board, and he fixed me up. A week later I got a bill for $300. I called, and got it sorted out to discover that my monthly bill went up to $175/month. It took some complaining, but they finally gave me my previous rate. Only to find that my data cap went back down to 400GB. I've been trying to get that sorted out, again (!), with less luck this time. In fact, since I don't actually use more than 400GB in a month, I'm giving up out of frustration. If I had an alternative with the same sized pipe, I'd switch in a minute.

Comments:

Cheese
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

You don't have a choice?

Who forced you to get 105/20? They do have lower tiers

Review by guitboxgeek See Profile

• Location: Churchton,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "When it works, it's fairly speedy and reliable"
Bad "When it doesn't work, it sucks all around"
Overall "There are a few good techs, the rest are junk"

As I write this, an excellent tech is trying to help me get my phone/high speed internet from Comcast working again. The problems are not in my home, but all along my street and at various nodes in the neighborhood.

I am set to have FIOS installed Monday, next week. While I appreciate how hard this tech is working and the effort he's put into communicating with me, the rest of Comcast support has been almost non-existent.

Their own technicians have ample software and tools to stay on top of their areas, yet they do not use them properly. One tech comes out and blows up the other tech's hard work of the past few days. Zooms off in their shiny new truck and doesn't update the Comcast TS logs. End result? FIOS.

I'm probably trading one set of headaches for another, I know, but at this point, it's the only weapon I have left in my arsenal (e.g. my wallet). Pray for mojo!

Comments:

Review by bo789 See Profile

• Location: Jacksonville,Duval,FL
Good "***NOTHING****"
Bad "I see others doing well and NO HELP FROM COMCAST"
Overall "waiting for another company to come to JAX FL"

CONSTANT DISCONNECT, NEW MODEM(I own and approved), 2 VISITS AND NO HELP YET I HAVE PAID 1000 DOLLARS FOR INTERRUPTED SERVICE!!

Comments:
Joseph327

join:2006-02-03
Jacksonville, FL

The Solution for Comcast's terrible service!

Call your councilman or councilwoman in Jacksonville. Be very polite and explain the entire situation in detail to them, they in turn will communicate with Comcast on your behalf and then you will see action. Your complaint to the city is not welcomed by Comcast and they will move swiftly to correct the situation and put out the fire so to speak. Look up your council representative on the city of Jacksonville website via your zip code. Best of luck to you.