Review by Micky Lee See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
Good "Customer service"
Bad "Creeping costs, unexplained cancelled discounts"
Overall "pricey "

I had a big package with lots of extras including a discount for cable, TV, and internet. The cost creeped up inexplicably over a few years by $60, or 1/3 of the original price. I was getting discount for having all three services. One month I noticed it just wasn't there anymore? I guess our contract allows them to charge whatever whenever.

I had trouble with their online guide, so tried 8 or 9 digital converter models before learning only the new, HD box solved my problem. But I had no HD TV. When I used that box to solve my problem, I was billed for HD. They couldn't remove that charge. So, they told me to call in every six months for a credit. Their CS reps could only credit so much, so I was the one to work around their accounting software inflexibilities. I still have that box and an HD package but no HDTV.

They are very good at keeping your internet service going. I had several personal modems not work, and they always installed one of theirs promptly.

In the end, they have great technology, but it isn't cheap.

I have the fasted connection possible at 50 MBps download and about 12 MBps up. Monthly cost is $63.

Supplied DOCSIS 3.0 modem is the equivalent of a Ubee DDM3513, a Ubee U10C035.

Their web site makes it very easy to add new cable services. You just can't cancel anything at all. Unbelievable and very frustrating.

member for 1.4 years, 1 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Jaybirdnet See Profile

• Location: Cumming,Forsyth,GA
Good "Nothing good about them"
Bad "Worst customer service / support"
Overall "Comcast SUCKS"

I signed up for the business class internet. It never worked. When I call the tech support number, I go thru their stupid automated system just to be hung up on before ever speaking to a human being. When I finally got thru, I was told that there was an outage in the area. 18 hours later, still no service and no response back from Comcast. If this is how they service business accounts, then I'd hate to see how the residential accounts are handled.

member for 1 year, 1 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Jay864 See Profile

• Location: Fort Lauderdale,Broward,FL
Good "Consistent speeds"
Bad "Everything else"

Customer service is non existent. Really every single person I have spoken with (this month alone for many hours) including supervisors are completely clueless. They really can't do anything right. I wish i had alternatives to choose from, if I did I would drop Comcast instantly.

I have high speed internet + HD TV + Voice (which i got only to make the whole package cheaper, I don't use it and noone has the number but spam calls bug me daily!)

Comments:

Review by a2nxtcrav3r See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "NOTHING"
Bad "EVERYTHING"
Overall "Do not order"

Cancelled my DSL service was moving to comcast.HSI

Orderered online and installation was scheduled to be in 5 days within my cancellation with my DSL service.

5th arrives installation person says my underground coax cable was damaged and he will send a tech as soon as possible. My family and I waited 3 days Nothing was said to me of when the techician who could handle it. So i called comcast and had gotten a date for install. The day came I have been waiting all day no calls from comcast and no one shows up.it is currently 9:24 PM I called comcast to ask why no one came, Tech support from india was not clear. rescheduled to another week without internet for the tech to come 6 days later. Which would be over 21 days from when I ordered internet service.

I told them many upon many internet service providers I would gladly pay to get things done within 3 days Cancelled my phone service and internet service with comcast and am now searching for anything as fast as possible. STAY AWAY FROM COMCAST!

Comments:
SJTech

join:2013-01-28

Really bad phone support

Dude, sorry about your really bad experience. You must have had a contractor that gave you a BS line. The SJ in house team is much better than that, what you were put through is beyond embarrassing. I am an in house Tech, replacing an underground line takes approx 10 days. If I knew what part of town you are in I would take care you myself!
stig1111

join:2001-12-21
Vancouver, WA

So far, so good!

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Comcast! Like most "chain stores", each location has it's ups and downs. Hope you got everything taken care of without to many other problems!
I just now updated to a bundled Comcast service. Higher speed plus free cable - and less money!
Cable Box "installation" within 3 days.
I switched from Qwest DSL to Comcast Cable a couple of years ago, and have had only one problem (monthly payment amount), which was fixed over the phone in a short time. So far I am happy with Comcast and have no complaints!

sdofisdf

@comcast.net

planning

So, I'd recommend that people that want to switch, plan at least a 30 day overlap of service, and only cancel service after you have 30 days of being happy, all issues resolved, everything working. If you had done this, you would have gotten a nice fast internet connection, instead of spinning in the wind, looking around for solutions. The best solution is planning.

waitaminute

@sonic.net

Re: planning

so, your proposed solution to comcast's incompetence is for the customer to assume comcast will screw it up and keep the prior service to "cover" for comcast's inability to communicate/perform.
Sure inspires confidence.

Review by sashier See Profile

• Location: Portland,Cumberland,ME
Good "Install went smooth, Just moved from Road Runner to Comcast due to RR not available in the area."
Bad "slow speeds from install that was to be fixed within the week per the installer opening a ticket to look into slow speeds."
Overall "we will see"

Since the installer reporting we were not getting the speeds we are paying for nothing has changed. I will be calling to follow-up with this issue, updated review when things have been fixed.

Comments:

Review by wered See Profile

• Location: Petersburg,Petersburg City,VA
Good "None as of yet"
Bad "Connection,reliability, customer service."
Overall "Avoid at all costs"

We got comcast when we moved into our new apartment, and since day one the support has been absolutely horrible, they missed 9 appointments to set up the internet, then after finally getting it set up the connection is intermittent and all the udp traffic keeps getting lost, there customer service has no knowledge of networking at all, they even told me voip doesn't exist. avoid comcast at all costs, i am moving to another location the second i get the chance so i can get a decent service provider.

member for 1.1 years, 1 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by madrhino See Profile

• Location: Hyattsville,Prince Georges,MD
Good "reliable-which negates the horrible customer service"
Bad "overpriced,limited Usenet access,absolutly the worst customer service on earth"
Overall "Overpriced.I can get FIOS now.If Comcast doesn't increase the UL BW by March I'm gone"

I used to have Verizon DSL and this is much more reliable.This is important because the customer service is beyond atrocious,it is for all practical purposes non-existent.Email support tells you to call,the call center just tells you they don't know.Then,since most of the clueless CSR's are reading off scripts, they schedule a technician to NOT SHOW UP!!!!!(twice)

Another neg is my upload speed is 384 KB/s(768 available).Most of the surrounding counties have 16/1or2 but evidently my County Executive is taking his graft elsewhere(I think the outgoing Governor and his wife got most of the Comcast bribe budget) because we don't have it and evidently ain't gonna get it anytime soon.

The reliability is awesome though.If the price was more in line with the market I'd probably be a customer for life.But since I can get a faster FIOS connection with unlimited Usenet for less money I really have no choice but to leave in 2 months when my deal is up.

Edit 11-27-07 -I got rid of Comcast in September for 2 reasons

1) They don't seem to be concerned about speeds in my area, even though FIOS is available the most Comcast offers is still 8/768

2)The use of the evil Sandvine program.Sorry guys, if I send legal packets I don't want them being tampered with.

member for 10.1 years, 1818 visits, last login: 182 days ago

Comments:
briansgs2

join:2013-04-25

overpriced?

$19/mo for reliable 8 Mbps / 768 Kbps is an awesome deal. You consider that overpriced?

PapaMidnight

join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

said by briansgs2:

Google Fiber: $70/mo for reliable 1000 Mbps / 1000 Mbps.
$0/mo (with one flat installation fee that will cost less for the year than his entire Comcast bill will after that $19 promotional price for 6 months ends) for 5 Mbps / 5 Mbps.

You tell me.

PapaMidnight

join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

Re: overpriced?

I have no such expectation. He asked why that could be considered overpriced, and I answered.
saratoga66

join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA

Old Review

The OP said they canceled Comcast almost 6 years ago. I'm not sure why they brought this review back to life. Comments about what happened that long are not really relevant now.
madrhino

join:2004-07-03

Re: Old Review

said by saratoga66:

I switched back to Comcast earlier this year after Verizon left me hanging after an outage.I left a comment 49 days ago noting how much they have improved the customer service,but it is now missing for some unknown reason.
Get Verizon FIOS,The Anti-DIOS

Review by joeabb65 See Profile

• Location: Reading,Middlesex,MA
Good "HSI has been ok."
Bad "Lost all upload ability for 3 days. TV HD is laughable. The set top boxes have to be the worst."
Overall "I'm paying far to much for TV, phone and HSI for this type of product."

I've only got Comcast due to FiOS not being available in my complex and it doesn't look like it's coming anytime soon. First off the HSI is ok. Speeds are pretty good. The upload speeds, as many others have mentioned are just sad. I upload pics to Flickr and what used to take me minutes on FiOS now takes at least an hour. The TV service is just plain terrible. The channel lineup is scattered all over the place. Movie channels mixed in with sports channels and so on. The set top boxes are terrible. We had the X1 box but that box has to talk to the cloud for everything. There were times where you'd wait 1 or 2 minutes to get at the guide. I do have to admit the DVR in the X1 was great. Smoothest pic and controls. I had the techs come out to look at the X1 slowness and all they did was replace it with older boxes. That's a good fix, no??? The phone service works ok as well. Get echos a lot during calls. Mostly on business conference calls so the issue could lie someplace else but has occurred on private calls as well. The phone is not used very often so the issues could be worse. I'm counting the days to when FiOS or someone else can provide me with a better service.....

Comments:

Review by dboyle See Profile

• Location: Ashburn,Loudoun,VA
Good "Service works, but overpriced"
Bad "Customer Service and billing are horrible. Low value."
Overall "They have rolling price increases (e.g., promotions). Service is not worth the cost after the increases (e.g., value)."

I should mention this is just for INTERNET, no tv, phone, etc.

This is an UPDATE to inform users who may be considering or already have Comcast.

I noticed my bill go up from $30 to $45 (six months) to $65 (after a year). Comcast calls this the actual, real price and the increasing costs a rolling promotion/discount. I was on the 20/4Mbps pricing contract. After speaking with the rep and quoting competitors I was able to get two possibilities. $50 for the 20/4Mbps, $40 for 6/1Mbps, and another basic tier which I can't remember (something like $30 for 1Mbps/768kbps). Note, each one of these are promotions again. They will all go up again after a year. The idea is if you are too busy to watch your bills and signed up for automatic billing, they try to take advantage (just like Verizon, etc). They have found the no contract doesn't hurt them if you don't take the time to cancel or switch. I chose the $40 currently and am considering switching to WiMax for about $50/month. Costs a little more, but gives me far more flexibility with wide availability.

Older Review:

My review/experience reflects mostly on the lack of customer service rather than the actual Internet Service. If you don't have the time to fix your bill, you may not want this service.

I did a self-install which costs nothing versus paying some guy to hook up your cable modem to the wall and click a few buttons for $30. They won't tell you about self install; you have to request it. In addition, Comcast is suppose to send you some kit. No kit arrived, but no kit was necessary. You just connect the cable modem and open a browser which redirects you through Comcast's self install browser navigation. This will have you enter your phone number (ties to your account) and will try and detect your cable modem. I successfully did that in about 10 minutes. That part was easy enough. A few days later I received my first month's bill. They are really good at sending bills. I expected to see something around $30. The actual bill was around $92.00.

Comcast charged me for the professional install ($29.95). They also did not give me the promotion I signed up for (6 months at $29.99). So I was charged $30 (professional install) and $60+ for the regular monthly fee for their Infinity Internet. This does not even include anything else (i.e., no tv, phone, etc.) So my first month bill was 3x higher than it should have been and it had a due date of 10 days later.

I immediately called Comcast and it took about 30min to an hour to get to a department where they had a competent representative. Basically, Comcast has a lot of departments who have no idea what the other department is doing and they will transfer you all day. You are lucky if you get a representative who knows what they are doing and is customer service oriented. Since I had two problems, I was directed to the Billing Department to fix the self install fee. They put a trouble ticket in and told me 24-48 hours for a supervisor to fix it. It's been four days and three phone calls and I finally reached a supervisor who told me she was fixing it and it may take some time to show up on my account. As she was working on my account I watched my account online and it showed a credit of $20 for the self install and I had to correct her to make it $29.95. I am not sure if this was her who made the error or someone simultaneously working the problem. Either way, it shows that Comcast only makes the correct adjustments after constantly correcting them. At one point I was told by their first tier service (before the supervisor) that I already had a credit to my account and that I need to pay my bill. She was referring to the credit I mention in the second issue below for a different problem. This is the level of customer service you will be receiving.

The second issue was the promotion which I had to be directed to the Sales Department from Billing, where I found out that they could not credit it (did not have the authority), but had to transfer me to the Retention Department. Apparently, retention has far more authority than sales. The one redeeming factor Comcast had was the individual I spoke with in Sales who did not transfer me, but placed me on hold while he spoke with retention and had them adjust my bill. He understood my situation and took the proper steps to actual resolve the problem, even when he didn't have the authority to make the credit adjustment. This is unprecedented in customer service today; someone who knows how to efficiently problem solve. He explained how it should be posted by the end of the day and he was right. He was the only redeeming portion of the Comcast customer service departments that showed any hope for Comcast.

So here's to hoping my bill, which is now due in 6 days (I've barely had the service for a week) will eventually reflect what it should have when I opened it. Three hours of my time later; maybe I should bill Comcast my hourly rate.

Other than that, the actual bandwidth and latency are comparable to most cable and fiber broadband ISPs.

member for 12.2 years, 314 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by tlbepson See Profile

• Location: Reston,Fairfax,VA
Good "TV signal rarely, if ever, goes out - spoke too soon, lost stb this evening (Saturday) and I have to wait until Tuesday for appt"
Bad "Lousy customer/tech support because of poor corporate level policies, crappy closed caption support"
Overall "I *loathe* Comcast & as of 6/3/13 have finally left"

EDIT 6/25/13: I have finally left Comcast and switch completely to Verizon FiOS by adding TV to my FiOS broadband and phone. I made the decision because I got tired of Comcast's constant price increases when there had been no improvements in service. I was able to get semi-decent pricing for triple-play with FiOS. I have no great love for Verizon but on a practical level, since I wasn't interested in switching to Comcast for broadband and phone, switching to FiOS for TV made more sense particularly as I was able to get the problem with closed captions with FiOS stb sorted out--basically, the FiOS Cisco CHS335HDC stb digital closed caption options all function properly unlike the FiOS Motorola stb's.

Original Review:

I have been a Comcast customer since 1988 and currently only have their cable tv service. Since their merger/takeover of NBC, their customer/tech support is even worse than it used to be. The problem is not (generally) with the individual support person but with corporate policies that don't provide their front-line people with the information/knowledge they need to do their jobs, the power to make decisions to fix things--basically, their support reps are sacrificial fodder because as a corporation, Comcast couldn't care any less about their employees or their customers. They've taken over the old Ma Bell refrain "We're THE PHONE COMPANY! We don't have to care" and made it their own.

After my latest go-round with Comcast in which I was informed that I would now be charged for dvr service Comcast activated but I'd never requested, don't want and never used on my Scientific Atlanta/Cisco Explorer 8300HD cable box--had never been active in all the *years* I had box--but now, even though Comcast turned the service on, Comcast (mysteriously) cannot turn it off so I was told I had to get a new cable box or pay an extra $16-$17/month for something I didn't order or want.

When I asked for a service appointment I was told that Comcast would charge me! Ended going to/from the local Comcast office 4 times, spending an entire day trying to get the closed captioning to work properly because Comcast can't be bothered to actually document the settings on their set top boxes. UGH!

I am seriously looking into other cable tv providers in my area.

EDIT (6/17/12): As I noted in my reply to user "Comcaster" (below), the new stb I have (RNG200N) essentially died last night at 9:20pm with a message "your stb is not authorized" and I spent 2.5 hours (until midnight) on the phone (very difficult due to my hearing loss) trying to get the stb fixed without success. Today (Sunday) I decided to try Comcast live chat to see if they could help. Less than 3 minutes into the chat, the stb was fixed!

I asked the chat rep what she'd done and she said " I just double checked the codes on the account and corrected it to make your cable box work."

Now WHY!!!??? couldn't one of the many, many Comcast phone reps I talked with last night do that?!

member for 12.5 years, 684 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
mcbigham
join:2004-10-10
Huntsville, AL

I feel your pain

Comcast is the worst company I have ever dealt with.
I came here to update my review on Comcast and see that I am not treated special, they treat all their customers the same.

»/comment/83528

Comcaster

@ipredator.se

True

My friend you have no idea how true that statement is. I know, I am one of the employees referenced.

2 edits

Re: True

I have just spent the last 2.5 hours!!! trying to get my cable box to come back online. I have a hearing loss which makes using the phone (even my special one) very difficult. If the line transferring me to someone who was supposed to be able to help didn't get dropped, then the connection was terrible or they couldn't help me or I waited and waited and waited on hold only for the connection to drop yet again. The end result it is now about midnight--lost the cable box about 9:20 right in the middle of one of the few programs on tv I actually enjoy and missed the rest of it--and I now have an appointment for Tuesday between 10-11am for a tech to come to fix the problem so no tv for me between now (Saturday night) and Tuesday

I NEVER, EVER had a problem with the SA 8300HD stb in all the years that I had it--I spoke too soon (or jinxed myself) about never losing the tv signal.

All of the phone reps were very courteous and patient (there's a bit of a lag in the conversation because I have to wait for the speech-to-text conversion to display on the screen on my phone) but really, what does it matter if they can't fix stuff, the transfers are dropped (or misdirected to Houston, TX when I'm in VA), phone menus are so complex, wait times are eons with no notice of where you are in the queue. I feel sorry for the employees--I always make a point to tell them that I know it's not their fault but really...it's exhausting and frustrating! UGH!

Anon2482

@comcast.net

Re: True

I gotta be honest its maddening to me to me to see people post things like this all the time, if you spent half as much effort on finding a company you dont hate instead of continuing to use a company you do then i would guess your life would signifigantly improve! Stop complaining and get rid of comcast if you are unhappy, I swear misery loves company...

Re: True

You have no idea what time and effort I have put in to investigating other cable tv companies because it has nothing to do with outlining my experiences with Comcast as a cable tv provider--you'll note that this is a REVIEW of Comcast as a cable tv provider in the REVIEW section.
RogerSC

join:2012-06-10
It would be cool if Comcast actually had competition in the area where I live. It's an unregulated monopoly, and I have no other choices or any recourse. They charge through the nose, but do deliver on the cable TV side.

For their ISP services, I'm in the "I loathe Comcast" camp...they have refused to build out the infrastructure to deliver the internet download speed I'm paying for. I'm paying for 12Mb/s download speed, and get 2Mb/s in the evening on a good day. That sucks, but nothing I can do.

Re: True

Comcast was as my first broadband provider--when broadband was just beginning to be "reasonably" priced--because at the time it would have taken Verizon 3-5 weeks to provide service and I would have only gotten their slowest speed while Comcast offered installation 2 days after talking with them, higher speed and if memory serves, a not too bad price. It's been a good number of years but I don't remember having a lot of problems with their broadband service--at that time there not a lot of users hanging on the system. Needless to say, this was *well before* the Comcast/NBC takeover/merger.

A few of years later, I went with Verizon DSL because I could get higher speed for less money than Comcast and Verizon gave me a $70-$80 credit for switching. I don't remember having too many problems with Verizon's DSL which continued to be reasonably priced and when my condo complex was wired for FiOS I switched to that.

Sorry that you don't have alternative options because I can imagine it's frustrating not getting anywhere near the speed you are paying for--I'm surprised that you don't have more choices in Santa Cruz.