Review by ma71turbo See Profile

• Location: Santa Maria,Santa Barbara,CA
Good "Internet is fast when it works. "
Bad "Phone support is the worst I have ever experienced"
Overall "If you have any option other than comcast, take it."

I have been on the phone with tech support waaay too many times this last month for numerous issues relating to my account activation and setup. It seems like every single "tech" I speak to can do nothing but verify my account, reset my box, then try their best to get me off the phone as quick as possible. Signed up for the Blast Plus! package at the beginning of July, and was happy with the internet, but wanted HD TV, and some more channels. Last Saturday i upgraded my service from the BlastPlus! package to a triple play package with preferred digital hdtv and 50Mb internet for 109$ a month. I was told by the phone sales agent that the tv service would be available within the next hour or two, and that the box would not need to be switched out. I was also told that for the phone service would be unavailable until i received my new modem, and that the existing internet service would remain active on my existing modem. The extra TV channels never came, and I called support to troubleshoot this issue. I was told by an Agent that the service has not been activated on my box yet, and that i should call back tomorrow if its still not working. Next day, still do not have the channels. Called support again, and spoke to another agent who told me that the upgraded package has not been activated on my equipment yet, but that he would be happy to activate it for me. He said that he activated the services on my equipment, and to give it an hour or so before the upgraded services become available. Two hours later, still no channels, so I called back. I spoke to another agent, who asked me what my issue was, i told him that i recently upgraded my services and that the changes still have not taken effect. Agent said that the package has a work order that has not been completed yet, and that to complete the work order I would need to speak with someone from billing. I told him that the previous agent said that he had activated the new services onto my equipment, and he insisted that there is a pending work order stopping the service from working, and that he could not do it on his end. I asked to speak with a manager, and was told that there is no manager available and that one would call me back within 30 minutes if i gave him my callback number. I gave the agent my callback number, and waited. I did not receive a call back. Fast forward to today, when i come home from work to find that both TV and internet are both down completely. I contact support again, and am told by agent(Axel, was told her operator id was H5) to connect my new modem. Connect the modem, and get no service. I was told that this issue would need to be escalated, and that she would get a Comcast special care agent(?) on the line with me to assist further. Was transferred to another queue, and was greeted by a woman named Mary(Agent id SDCR968) who answered the phone and asked me what my issue was. The previous agent did not give her any information whatsoever regarding my case, just transferred me to another call queue. I had to re-verify my account again, and give her the history of what has been going on. Agent resets my box and modem, neither come online. Agent then said that she would need to escalate the issue to a level two tech. I told her that she just did the same thing that the last agent did, and asked to speak with a manager. She said that a manager was unavailable, and that i should at least try to speak with the level two tech to try to resolve my issue. I asked the agent to please get the level two agent on the line before transferring me so that she can give him some info regarding my issue so we would not have to start from the beginning all over again. The agent said that she would do that, and put me on hold. 15 seconds later, i get cold transferred to another queue. I was greeted by agent Hayli (agent id 80622), who started from scratch asking me what my issue was and if i could verify my account info. The previous agent did not speak to her at all. I verified my account info AGAIN, and gave them a rundown of my issue AGAIN, and was told by the agent that she would run a diagnostic on my box. After 5 minutes, she told me that my box is showing that it is offline. She then reset my box and modem, and told me to call back in a half hour if service is not restored. I still asked to speak with a supervisor regarding the way things have been going, and am again told that a supervisor was unavailable. I told the agent that I would wait, and waited on the line, checking in every couple minutes. After about 20 minutes, I was hung up on. Internet service has since come up, TV however is completely down still. No supervisor has called me back, and I do not want to call support again just so they can reset my box and tell me to call tomorrow. What is going on with phone support? Every time I call , the next agent has no idea what happened in the previous calls. I dont know if it is their standard policy to leave no notation when a customer calls support or what, but this is ridiculous. Nobody has any clue what the last guy did, and we have to start from scratch every call. Every time i ask for a supervisor I am told they are unavailable , or that one will call me back. I get wildly different agent numbers as well. I am not even sure they are giving me their correct names and agent numbers. It's as though phone support has no accountability whatsoever. If anyone else has experienced this with phone support please chime in.

UPDATE: Internet is back up, but at 25Mb/s now , instead of the 50Mb/s I just had yesterday. Ran multiple speed tests at multiple sites.

Update : 7/27/13 Went to comcast service center today to try switching the box out, because im pretty sure the sales agent was incorrect when he told me i could keep my existing box. I tried to tell this to the phone agents but its like they didnt even hear me, they just reset the box and sent me on my way. Spoke to service agent Luisa (m-G) who confirmed that I did indeed need a new hd capable box. Asked her what she could do about my internet speeds being cut in half, and she told me that the package that had been added only included 25Mb internet, and that if i wanted blast back i would need to pay an additional 10 dollars a month. I told her the sales agent sold me on the whole package because of the 50Mb internet, and she said there was nothing she can do. Asked to speak with a manager, and I got the same story that none was available but that one would call me soon. At that point i chose to cancel the tv /phone and go with dish. Kept the internet open, and come back home to find that my internet has been cut off. Called support again, ask to speak with a supervisor. Agent said she would connect me with a supervisor, and the call again "mysteriously" dropped while on hold. Called back and asked for supervisor again, and got an agent who insisted on troubleshooting before he sent me to a supervisor. He verified my account, then stated that he sees no active devices on my account. He said he would activate the device and that to "finalize the activation" he would need to send me to a billing agent. I asked the agent to please warm transfer me to an agent rather than just sending me to a queue. Agent said that he would , and asked if i could go on a brief hold. Instead of putting me on hold , the agent disconnected the call. Called back and asked for a supervisor, and was told yet again that a supervisor is unavailable and that I would have to wait. While waiting on the line with the agent, internet comes live again, i'm running speed tests and getting a super consistent 3Mb Down and 1Mb up. I should be getting 50/10 . Again i asked the agent that she please warm transfer me to a supervisor instead of sending me to a queue or putting me on hold. Agent said that she would, says a supervisor is available and that she would connect me with him. And sure enough i get sent off to another queue.

Update : After 40 minutes of waiting in the queue, I call back with a second phone and ask for a supervisor again.Agent places me on hold to see if a supervisor is available. 15 minutes later, im on hold on both lines, waiting for a supervisor. After 20 minutes on hold, disconnected on the 2nd phone i called in on. First call has now been on hold 55 minutes. Calling back a third time. third call, got agent May, (operator id 0.~ ) asked to speak with supervisor again, placed on hold.6 minutes on hold, finally got a supervisor as the first call ticked 1:04hour on hold( John, operator id: 44010 Internet Dept. ). Gave him a rundown of the issue, let him know that at this point my internet is up, but I am only getting 3Mb down and 1Mb up. Supervisor stated that he noticed a discrepancy in the services provisioned to my device, said he would try to fix it. Placed me on hold, and came back telling me that he sees that my account is currently set to 3Mb and that this is the problem(duh). He asks me what i should have on the account, i told him 50Mb blast plus. He put me on hold again while he applied the changes. Supervisor came back and said that he could not apply blast plus to my account. Instructed me to contact the retention dept because the cancellation of the triple play package created an issue where they could not apply the blastplus package to my account. Was left with a case id and was told to contact retention tomorrow. Supervisor got me off the line without giving me the phone number however, so i guess im calling 1800comcast again tomorrow.

Update 7/28

Called support again and reached agent( Mark operator id 9K.) asked to reach retention dept, agent said he would get a retention agent on the line. After 16 minutes waiting for someone from the retention dept, got hung up on. Called back and got agent [Ken, operator id V)Q ] and asked to speak with a supervisor. Agent asked me to wait while he tries to reach a supervisor, and of course he is unavailable. Waited another 15 minutes to reach a supervisor, then the agent came back and insisted that I just let him transfer me back to retention. I agree, and agent transfers me to retention queue, where i have currently been waiting 58 minutes.

member for 1.1 years, 3 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Micky Lee See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
Good "Customer service"
Bad "Creeping costs, unexplained cancelled discounts"
Overall "pricey "

I had a big package with lots of extras including a discount for cable, TV, and internet. The cost creeped up inexplicably over a few years by $60, or 1/3 of the original price. I was getting discount for having all three services. One month I noticed it just wasn't there anymore? I guess our contract allows them to charge whatever whenever.

I had trouble with their online guide, so tried 8 or 9 digital converter models before learning only the new, HD box solved my problem. But I had no HD TV. When I used that box to solve my problem, I was billed for HD. They couldn't remove that charge. So, they told me to call in every six months for a credit. Their CS reps could only credit so much, so I was the one to work around their accounting software inflexibilities. I still have that box and an HD package but no HDTV.

They are very good at keeping your internet service going. I had several personal modems not work, and they always installed one of theirs promptly.

In the end, they have great technology, but it isn't cheap.

I have the fasted connection possible at 50 MBps download and about 12 MBps up. Monthly cost is $63.

Supplied DOCSIS 3.0 modem is the equivalent of a Ubee DDM3513, a Ubee U10C035.

Their web site makes it very easy to add new cable services. You just can't cancel anything at all. Unbelievable and very frustrating.

Comments:

Review by Jaybirdnet See Profile

• Location: Cumming,Forsyth,GA
Good "Nothing good about them"
Bad "Worst customer service / support"
Overall "Comcast SUCKS"

I signed up for the business class internet. It never worked. When I call the tech support number, I go thru their stupid automated system just to be hung up on before ever speaking to a human being. When I finally got thru, I was told that there was an outage in the area. 18 hours later, still no service and no response back from Comcast. If this is how they service business accounts, then I'd hate to see how the residential accounts are handled.

Comments:

Review by Jay864 See Profile

• Location: Fort Lauderdale,Broward,FL
Good "Consistent speeds"
Bad "Everything else"

Customer service is non existent. Really every single person I have spoken with (this month alone for many hours) including supervisors are completely clueless. They really can't do anything right. I wish i had alternatives to choose from, if I did I would drop Comcast instantly.

I have high speed internet + HD TV + Voice (which i got only to make the whole package cheaper, I don't use it and noone has the number but spam calls bug me daily!)

Comments:

Review by a2nxtcrav3r See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "NOTHING"
Bad "EVERYTHING"
Overall "Do not order"

Cancelled my DSL service was moving to comcast.HSI

Orderered online and installation was scheduled to be in 5 days within my cancellation with my DSL service.

5th arrives installation person says my underground coax cable was damaged and he will send a tech as soon as possible. My family and I waited 3 days Nothing was said to me of when the techician who could handle it. So i called comcast and had gotten a date for install. The day came I have been waiting all day no calls from comcast and no one shows up.it is currently 9:24 PM I called comcast to ask why no one came, Tech support from india was not clear. rescheduled to another week without internet for the tech to come 6 days later. Which would be over 21 days from when I ordered internet service.

I told them many upon many internet service providers I would gladly pay to get things done within 3 days Cancelled my phone service and internet service with comcast and am now searching for anything as fast as possible. STAY AWAY FROM COMCAST!

Comments:
SJTech

join:2013-01-28

Really bad phone support

Dude, sorry about your really bad experience. You must have had a contractor that gave you a BS line. The SJ in house team is much better than that, what you were put through is beyond embarrassing. I am an in house Tech, replacing an underground line takes approx 10 days. If I knew what part of town you are in I would take care you myself!
stig1111

join:2001-12-21
Vancouver, WA

So far, so good!

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Comcast! Like most "chain stores", each location has it's ups and downs. Hope you got everything taken care of without to many other problems!
I just now updated to a bundled Comcast service. Higher speed plus free cable - and less money!
Cable Box "installation" within 3 days.
I switched from Qwest DSL to Comcast Cable a couple of years ago, and have had only one problem (monthly payment amount), which was fixed over the phone in a short time. So far I am happy with Comcast and have no complaints!

sdofisdf

@comcast.net

planning

So, I'd recommend that people that want to switch, plan at least a 30 day overlap of service, and only cancel service after you have 30 days of being happy, all issues resolved, everything working. If you had done this, you would have gotten a nice fast internet connection, instead of spinning in the wind, looking around for solutions. The best solution is planning.

waitaminute

@sonic.net

Re: planning

so, your proposed solution to comcast's incompetence is for the customer to assume comcast will screw it up and keep the prior service to "cover" for comcast's inability to communicate/perform.
Sure inspires confidence.

Review by sashier See Profile

• Location: Portland,Cumberland,ME
Good "Install went smooth, Just moved from Road Runner to Comcast due to RR not available in the area."
Bad "slow speeds from install that was to be fixed within the week per the installer opening a ticket to look into slow speeds."
Overall "we will see"

Since the installer reporting we were not getting the speeds we are paying for nothing has changed. I will be calling to follow-up with this issue, updated review when things have been fixed.

Comments:

Review by wered See Profile

• Location: Petersburg,Petersburg City,VA
Good "None as of yet"
Bad "Connection,reliability, customer service."
Overall "Avoid at all costs"

We got comcast when we moved into our new apartment, and since day one the support has been absolutely horrible, they missed 9 appointments to set up the internet, then after finally getting it set up the connection is intermittent and all the udp traffic keeps getting lost, there customer service has no knowledge of networking at all, they even told me voip doesn't exist. avoid comcast at all costs, i am moving to another location the second i get the chance so i can get a decent service provider.

member for 1.1 years, 1 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by madrhino See Profile

• Location: Hyattsville,Prince Georges,MD
Good "reliable-which negates the horrible customer service"
Bad "overpriced,limited Usenet access,absolutly the worst customer service on earth"
Overall "Overpriced.I can get FIOS now.If Comcast doesn't increase the UL BW by March I'm gone"

I used to have Verizon DSL and this is much more reliable.This is important because the customer service is beyond atrocious,it is for all practical purposes non-existent.Email support tells you to call,the call center just tells you they don't know.Then,since most of the clueless CSR's are reading off scripts, they schedule a technician to NOT SHOW UP!!!!!(twice)

Another neg is my upload speed is 384 KB/s(768 available).Most of the surrounding counties have 16/1or2 but evidently my County Executive is taking his graft elsewhere(I think the outgoing Governor and his wife got most of the Comcast bribe budget) because we don't have it and evidently ain't gonna get it anytime soon.

The reliability is awesome though.If the price was more in line with the market I'd probably be a customer for life.But since I can get a faster FIOS connection with unlimited Usenet for less money I really have no choice but to leave in 2 months when my deal is up.

Edit 11-27-07 -I got rid of Comcast in September for 2 reasons

1) They don't seem to be concerned about speeds in my area, even though FIOS is available the most Comcast offers is still 8/768

2)The use of the evil Sandvine program.Sorry guys, if I send legal packets I don't want them being tampered with.

member for 10.1 years, 1818 visits, last login: 188 days ago

Comments:
briansgs2

join:2013-04-25

overpriced?

$19/mo for reliable 8 Mbps / 768 Kbps is an awesome deal. You consider that overpriced?

PapaMidnight

join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

said by briansgs2:

Google Fiber: $70/mo for reliable 1000 Mbps / 1000 Mbps.
$0/mo (with one flat installation fee that will cost less for the year than his entire Comcast bill will after that $19 promotional price for 6 months ends) for 5 Mbps / 5 Mbps.

You tell me.

PapaMidnight

join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

Re: overpriced?

I have no such expectation. He asked why that could be considered overpriced, and I answered.
saratoga66

join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA

Old Review

The OP said they canceled Comcast almost 6 years ago. I'm not sure why they brought this review back to life. Comments about what happened that long are not really relevant now.
madrhino

join:2004-07-03

Re: Old Review

said by saratoga66:

I switched back to Comcast earlier this year after Verizon left me hanging after an outage.I left a comment 49 days ago noting how much they have improved the customer service,but it is now missing for some unknown reason.
Get Verizon FIOS,The Anti-DIOS

Review by joeabb65 See Profile

• Location: Reading,Middlesex,MA
Good "HSI has been ok."
Bad "Lost all upload ability for 3 days. TV HD is laughable. The set top boxes have to be the worst."
Overall "I'm paying far to much for TV, phone and HSI for this type of product."

I've only got Comcast due to FiOS not being available in my complex and it doesn't look like it's coming anytime soon. First off the HSI is ok. Speeds are pretty good. The upload speeds, as many others have mentioned are just sad. I upload pics to Flickr and what used to take me minutes on FiOS now takes at least an hour. The TV service is just plain terrible. The channel lineup is scattered all over the place. Movie channels mixed in with sports channels and so on. The set top boxes are terrible. We had the X1 box but that box has to talk to the cloud for everything. There were times where you'd wait 1 or 2 minutes to get at the guide. I do have to admit the DVR in the X1 was great. Smoothest pic and controls. I had the techs come out to look at the X1 slowness and all they did was replace it with older boxes. That's a good fix, no??? The phone service works ok as well. Get echos a lot during calls. Mostly on business conference calls so the issue could lie someplace else but has occurred on private calls as well. The phone is not used very often so the issues could be worse. I'm counting the days to when FiOS or someone else can provide me with a better service.....

Comments:

Review by dboyle See Profile

• Location: Ashburn,Loudoun,VA
Good "Service works, but overpriced"
Bad "Customer Service and billing are horrible. Low value."
Overall "They have rolling price increases (e.g., promotions). Service is not worth the cost after the increases (e.g., value)."

I should mention this is just for INTERNET, no tv, phone, etc.

This is an UPDATE to inform users who may be considering or already have Comcast.

I noticed my bill go up from $30 to $45 (six months) to $65 (after a year). Comcast calls this the actual, real price and the increasing costs a rolling promotion/discount. I was on the 20/4Mbps pricing contract. After speaking with the rep and quoting competitors I was able to get two possibilities. $50 for the 20/4Mbps, $40 for 6/1Mbps, and another basic tier which I can't remember (something like $30 for 1Mbps/768kbps). Note, each one of these are promotions again. They will all go up again after a year. The idea is if you are too busy to watch your bills and signed up for automatic billing, they try to take advantage (just like Verizon, etc). They have found the no contract doesn't hurt them if you don't take the time to cancel or switch. I chose the $40 currently and am considering switching to WiMax for about $50/month. Costs a little more, but gives me far more flexibility with wide availability.

Older Review:

My review/experience reflects mostly on the lack of customer service rather than the actual Internet Service. If you don't have the time to fix your bill, you may not want this service.

I did a self-install which costs nothing versus paying some guy to hook up your cable modem to the wall and click a few buttons for $30. They won't tell you about self install; you have to request it. In addition, Comcast is suppose to send you some kit. No kit arrived, but no kit was necessary. You just connect the cable modem and open a browser which redirects you through Comcast's self install browser navigation. This will have you enter your phone number (ties to your account) and will try and detect your cable modem. I successfully did that in about 10 minutes. That part was easy enough. A few days later I received my first month's bill. They are really good at sending bills. I expected to see something around $30. The actual bill was around $92.00.

Comcast charged me for the professional install ($29.95). They also did not give me the promotion I signed up for (6 months at $29.99). So I was charged $30 (professional install) and $60+ for the regular monthly fee for their Infinity Internet. This does not even include anything else (i.e., no tv, phone, etc.) So my first month bill was 3x higher than it should have been and it had a due date of 10 days later.

I immediately called Comcast and it took about 30min to an hour to get to a department where they had a competent representative. Basically, Comcast has a lot of departments who have no idea what the other department is doing and they will transfer you all day. You are lucky if you get a representative who knows what they are doing and is customer service oriented. Since I had two problems, I was directed to the Billing Department to fix the self install fee. They put a trouble ticket in and told me 24-48 hours for a supervisor to fix it. It's been four days and three phone calls and I finally reached a supervisor who told me she was fixing it and it may take some time to show up on my account. As she was working on my account I watched my account online and it showed a credit of $20 for the self install and I had to correct her to make it $29.95. I am not sure if this was her who made the error or someone simultaneously working the problem. Either way, it shows that Comcast only makes the correct adjustments after constantly correcting them. At one point I was told by their first tier service (before the supervisor) that I already had a credit to my account and that I need to pay my bill. She was referring to the credit I mention in the second issue below for a different problem. This is the level of customer service you will be receiving.

The second issue was the promotion which I had to be directed to the Sales Department from Billing, where I found out that they could not credit it (did not have the authority), but had to transfer me to the Retention Department. Apparently, retention has far more authority than sales. The one redeeming factor Comcast had was the individual I spoke with in Sales who did not transfer me, but placed me on hold while he spoke with retention and had them adjust my bill. He understood my situation and took the proper steps to actual resolve the problem, even when he didn't have the authority to make the credit adjustment. This is unprecedented in customer service today; someone who knows how to efficiently problem solve. He explained how it should be posted by the end of the day and he was right. He was the only redeeming portion of the Comcast customer service departments that showed any hope for Comcast.

So here's to hoping my bill, which is now due in 6 days (I've barely had the service for a week) will eventually reflect what it should have when I opened it. Three hours of my time later; maybe I should bill Comcast my hourly rate.

Other than that, the actual bandwidth and latency are comparable to most cable and fiber broadband ISPs.

member for 12.2 years, 314 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago