Review by Coelispex See Profile

• Location: Wilmette,Cook,IL
Good "Great connection and service, I love it!"
Bad "Awful tech and customer support."
Overall "So far so good."

On June 20, 2013, I decided to switch to a Double Play (Internet + TV) called "Blast Plus" promotion; basically you get Blast Trier HSI + Digital Economy (~45 channels). This promotion is for 6 months $69.99 then $79.95 after (this excludes state taxes, FCC fees, franchise fees, other government taxes). This promotion is not under contract or any agreements attached. I used my own equipment - Motorola SB6141 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 instead of paying for an extra $7/month for rental fees.

Screenshot of the Digital Economy channel line up:
»i.imgur.com/J3vNfk3.png

How was the order & install process?
Somewhat sketchy. One chat analyst told that me that my service address is fine for self-installation ($9.95). Another told me that my cable isn't installed by the tap and needs professional installation ($32.99). What a load of B.S. I disconnected and started a new one. The new analyst was more experienced; he had to manually remove my existing order and placed it(with a service discount for the promotional offer pricing). The order process took around 40 minutes. In the end, he told me to wait for the self-installation kit to arrive in 3-5 days. I didn't wait to wait that long. So the minute after I talked with the chat, I immediately plugged my coaxial cable from my 2-way splitter to my SB6141 modem, started the activation service online (the walled garden - took about 10 minutes) and BAM; got Blast Internet up and running on the same day. (I didn't have to wait for my self-install kit to arrive).

My first speedtest
»www.speedtest.net/result/2784965199.png

Overall, I can say that I'm very happy, one satisfied customer

P.S - I also made a excel spreadsheet for Comcast Double Play promotions and non-promotions for those who are interested in making the change. (Prices may vary depending on your location)

»docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?···=sharing

I will update this review periodically.

UPDATE 10/4/13

For the past 5 months, there has been about ~4 outages, lasting less than 3 hours. This is probably due to severe weather in my area (flooding, heavy rain, thunderstorm etc)

But my speed has increased by 1-2 Mbps more
»stage.results.speedtest.comcast.···8864.png

UPDATE 10/18/13

Bad news: A 3 hour outage today.
Good news: My upstream power level came down from 49-45 to 37-35 dBmV. Really happy about this

UPDATE 3/21/14

On January 2014, the new pricing for Blast Plus is now $82.95 regular instead of the $79.95.

On March 3, 2014, I had a free upgrade from Blast! Internet to Extreme 105 for free of charge. I didn't have to pay a dime. Really awesome!
See new bill
»i.imgur.com/xMAyK7I.png

member for 317 days, 277 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bloodstain See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR

Reliable and always fast enough to stream and run multiple computers and devices all at once.

Comments:

Review by Mordred See Profile

• Location: Medford,Middlesex,MA
Good "Fast and reliable service"
Bad "Nothing bad I can think of on the internet side of it."
Overall "Worth the money for internet access. "

I just ordered the internet package as my previous ISP was not preforming well. I am very happy with it so far.

Comments:

jackie84

what a rip off

Just fyi to all of you that say its reasonably priced....after the first 12 months your bill will double! I started out paying 34.99 and am now paying $76 a month for internet! This is insane

Magicman

Re: what a rip off

So you mean it does what basically every company's pricing does? Comcast's regular pricing for the speeds are cheaper then most other companies regular pricing for similar speeds

Review by Daemon See Profile

• Location: Berkeley,Alameda,CA
Good "Fast, reasonably priced."
Bad "Customer support is sometimes useless."
Overall "Set it up and then pray you never need to call support."

·webpass.net
Update 3/19/14: After living at an address not connected to the cable system for some time, I am back at a comcast served address and have reconnected service with them. We are on 50/10 service for $50/mo for the first 12 months. As usual, they screwed up the first bill and charged us the non-promo rate at first, but have promised to fix it. Fortunately, they did not try to bill me for a modem as I own my own.

One thing not mentioned when I bought service is that customer owned modems do not connect automatically--they require a call into customer service to get activated, which requires reading the MAC and SN off the modem. The first time I did this I got disconnected and had to call again, but the second time things went through okay and connected fine. It turns out Comcast saves MACs from old modems, so had I lived in the same service area as before, the modem would have reconnected without a call (I moved 40 miles so that was not an option).

Dual-stack IPv6 is active in my area, and I am actively using it. Unfortunately, there appears to be either a misconfiguration of the CMTS or a bug in my router firmware that prevents my primary router from getting a routing IPv6 information properly, but a secondary router I configured is working.

Customer support on Comcast continues to get better and better--I have several options to talk directly to network engineers about more complex problems, and the people at 1-800-COMCAST are getting faster and faster at handling basic issues.

Having been a customer now for 10 years on and off, I have to say the value for the money is top notch--the prices have barely changed in 10 years though the speed has increased about 10x.

Update 9/1/11: the IPv6 trial is still ongoing. The local 6-to-4 servers that Comcast maintains transparently manage my IPv6 traffic. I am still waiting for dual stack or native IPv6 support, but I can understand why Comcast would proceed with caution. We are now at 30mbps down/6mbps up as measured by the FCC/SamKnows internet monitoring trial we're part of, without any price increases. They've also enabled upstream channel bonding, which should mean much less channel crowding during peak hours.

1st tier phone tech support still results in 'restart your modem', which is a drag. On the other hand, the comcast direct forum here, as well as the comcast twitter account, are staffed by high-level and competent support people and can resolve your complex issues that phone staff do not have the global view to fix. So, I am upgrading tech support from a 3 to a 4.

Comcast also still has a nasty tendency to quote one deal price via mail, quote another on the phone when you sign up, and charge a third in your monthly bill. This does not apply if you'd like to pay full price, but it is annoying if you are not. Thus, I still maintain a 3 star 'pre sales information' review.

Update 6/1/10: Comcast has become much more technologically savvy and less paranoid. I am enrolled in a IPv6 beta trial with comcast, which, to my knowledge, is the only large residential ISP involved in IPv6 rollouts. They also allow self-installs of CableCARDS, which, although not a internet-related thing, is another example of the techno-forward new comcast experience, which is pleasing. They've finished DOCSIS 3.0 roll out in my area and I have noticed speeds stabilized and reliability improved. I have to think they have upgraded the backends so it's not nearly as over-subscribed.

Also, speeds have gone from 1.5mpbs to 12mbps in the last decade here, without any significant price increases. That changes my value for money from a 4 to a 5.

However, my major rub, the first tier technical support, still lacks. As someone involved in discussions of the merits of IPv6 tunneling versus IPv4/IPv6 duel stacks, having the rep tell me I need to reboot my modem and computer when something doesn't work makes me want to stab my eyes out.

Update 10/9/09: In recent months, comcast support has been much more helpful. They seem to have seen the light and are finally allowing total self-installs, so I no longer need a truck roll to install HSI in a new apartment. Instead, I can now go down to the local store and get a modem and kit and do it all myself, including provisioning without installing the crappy software (hint: press the 'i am a comcast tech' button in the walled garden provisioning page)

I have been disappointed with the lack of information regarding DOCSIS 3.0 availability, and, related, the cable analog to digital transition. Apparently they are going neighborhood by neighborhood here to avoid overwhelming support, but for tech heads like me it would be nice if we had the date of the changeover.

That said, comcast has been steadily upgrading speeds without changing the overall cost. I remember the boost from 1.5mbps to 3mpbs, and now we are on 12mpbs with boosts to much higher, with only small increases in price over the last 6 years. Cable is still way over priced, but internet is very reasonable.

All in all I have changed my tech support rating from 1 to 3 for them allowing me to at least do what I know how to do on my own, without requiring the hassle of a truck roll. The bills and total costs have been getting more transparent recently too, so pre sales information also gets updated to a 3.

Update 4/7/09: It has been brought to my attention that most of the basic level support people are obligated to follow the script in front of them and risk getting fired if they stray. (This call may be recorded...) So, while some of them may be able to help you, they won't because of the script comcast has designed.

So, when I call to let them know one of their border routers at the SJ NOC is dropping packets and has high latency, would they like to know the IP address, they are obligated to tell me to restart my modem and computer. (arghhhh) It also means that when I have diagnosed a connection problem to a faulty modem and I call, I have to spend 45 minutes trying all sorts of things in order to convince the person on the phone that the modem is the problem (restart the computer, remove the router, try the usb port, remove the splitter, move the computer and modem near a different cable outlet, try a different RG6 cable), even though I have already definitively proved the modem is broken.

I did move connection reliability back to 5. We've been on Comcast for nearly a year now with only one 2 hour outage, which is 99.97% uptime.

The ad hominem reply, below, from the guy in SJ is amusing. I have to wonder if he works for comcast.

Update 12/23/08: Back out of uni housing, back into Comcast. Nothing really changes with them, although our connection is incrementally faster. Also, when you provision the modem now, you have the option of pretending you are a comcast tech, which means you type in a few numbers and you're done (none of which are, say comcast badge number or anything-- just a few numbers off the modem.) OTOH, if you say you are a normal person, you have to install a bunch of POS software items you really don't want. At least I didn't need to go find an old copy of IE for Mac this time!

Old review from 2006:

Okay, so I'm back to Comcast after a two year hiatus. It's already starting to feel like a mistake.

First, I don't want the damn software on my computer. I don't need to know whether I'm configured for DHCP, because I can do it myself. I don't want IE configured by comcast. In fact, I don't even have IE installed! (I'm on a Mac).

First thing I tried to do was call them and tell them I'm running linux, so they'll register my account for me. The tech has the audacity to tell me the service is incompatible with Linux. No, it's perfectly compatible, because it uses a standard ethernet connection!

Then I relented and installed the software. Too bad it's not compatible with OS X 10.4 and corrupted my computer enough that I now need to reinstall it from scratch. On top of that, the software is extremely buggy and attempts to do things that my user account does not have permission to do.

Then I called back and explained the new problem. Luckily, I was connected to someone who went off script and registered my modem in about 2 seconds on her end. WTF didn't the first guy do that? Right, because the service is incompatible with linux...

Comcast is designed as a service for technology dummies who don't know much about networking, the internet, etc. This means that if you are technically inclined, talking to them is going to be frustrating because they both treat you like you are stupid and don't answer your questions.

(On the plus side, I am connected at 6000/768 without any problems)

member for 10.8 years, 4930 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Lou_n_Di See Profile

• Location: Seymour,New Haven,CT
Good "reasonable price for 25Mbs-Excellent Tech installation"
Bad "none YET"
Overall "Everything is working fine!"

·AT&T DSL Service
02/17/2014
New installation this afternoon---25Mbs Performance Tier---$29.99 for 12 months then $53.99/month.
Tech installed(I'm lazy) with a CICSO DPC 3939 Wireless Voice Gateway.Tech ran a new line from the pole to the house(replaced the 30 year old wiring)replaced the exposed cable in the house(short run from outside to a new spliter in the garage) New box and hardware in the computer room.He setup everything from wireless to email.Worked quickly and neatly. Showed me speed and line tests results....Was happy to answer ALL of my silly questions.
Adjusted RWIN to 300000- Speed test (speedtest.net) shows 28Mbs DWN 6Mbs UP.
Everything is working perfectly...Nice change from the 1.5Mbs DSL
03/02/14
Two weeks of great service- No issues with email and no service interruptions with excellent speeds that continually measures 28 to 33 DWN and over 5Mbs UP with the 2.4 GHz WiFi network yielding 20 DWN and 5 UP with NO range issues within the house. (Presently there's nothing home that can access the 5GHz network)
Excellent PING numbers and NO packet loss issues. REAL nice change from my old DSL service.
03/16/14
upgraded the WLAN card on the laptop---can now access the 5GHz network--download speeds measure 22-24Mbs with upload at 5 to 6.
Life is good!

member for 13.2 years, 3155 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Noodles

Watch out for the wifi

I've read online some people are saying that comcasts new wifi routers now have two networks. One for you personally, and one public wifi that anyone can use. It does pull on your overall bandwidth and cause you to go over you 300 gig bandwidth cap. I would check to see if any new wireless networks have popped up and see if you got hit with one, and if so disable it.

Lou_n_Di
Everyone Needs A Hero
join:2001-01-18
Seymour, CT

Re: Watch out for the wifi

No SSID xfinitywifi hotspot noted-Thanks for the heads up!

Review by Cody See Profile

• Location: Spokane,Spokane,WA
Good "Reliable, quick"
Overall "A solid choice"

Note: Total monthly cost does not include modem rental as I have my own.

My only complaint is misinformation given by the company prior to installation; I was told I could just buy a modem and plug it in/activate and all would work as there was a prior customer at this address (and if for some reason it did not work that they would send a technician free of charge). It didn't work and they sent a technician, but they tried to charge the entire amount of sending one out, and only after complaining that I had been told it would be free, they cut the price in half. This was a disappointing way to start off the company/client relationship but thankfully there have been no issues in the 7 months since.

member for 11.8 years, 4530 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by FicmanS See Profile

• Location: Brownsburg,Hendricks,IN
Good "Docsis 3 made ALL the difference"
Bad "Expensive..."
Overall "Good Value"

Switched back to Comcast, very glad to be away from the other provider and back to one that can provide reliable Internet Speeds

member for 9.2 years, 2500 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Praveen

@comcast.net

Stay away from Comcast connection.

Not loyal to customers:
I took comcast's internet connection . First they starting charging more than what I opted for. Later they told that my place does not have connection speed what I opted . Then I told that I don't want their connection, later another guy called and told that they have same connection speed that opted for. I myself and Comcast knew that they have 30$ plan in my area, but they tried to cheat me. So first thing they are not loyal to customers.

Connection speed is worst:
I have very worst connection speed. They promised for 7 MBps connection but I am getting 1mbps.

Continuously breaking:
Connection is breaking frequently. Infact more frequently . Means 20 times per hours. That is more annoying, irritating. I hate. Even 1mbps is fine but I want consistency, but connection is disconnecting frequently which is hell.

Review by MissyShamble See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR

I have Internet only, Xfinity Blast. Overall I have a good experience with Comcast. My system could use a faster internet speed that is currently the United States Standard. Most European internet speeds are much faster, and less expensive. If a person in Belgium can connect to a SW United States game server and blow my connection speeds and latency out of the water, then something is really wrong. @ best during off peak times I can get 77meg download 11.5m upload with a 55-60 latency to the SW server. During peak internet usage times 50-55meg download 11.5meg upload with a latency of 65-125. With the latency so high during these on peak times, makes one wonder why. For the general everyday internet user Xfinity Blast is the way to go. Iam a gamer, my demand is much higher, I need lower latency. So my review on overall performance for Comcast is still in the good range, but for the Gamer.. I am not very happy with Comcast. I have read there is a new standard coming to the Comcast world, called 105 Extreme and it will become the new Blast. For most people on the West coast it is not available.

Comments:

Disappointed

...

My Comcast service is getting progressively worse, and I pay for blast. I can barley watch amazon prime and connection to steam is getting very spotty. Regular browsing is fine although it is quite amazing how slow my streaming and games are becoming. I will switch to Google Fiber as soon as it is available.
JohnShade

join:2009-03-07
Pearland, TX

Connection issues

Have you contacted us??? You might want to post to the dedicated Comcast forum on this site. Could be any number of reasons for slow CHSI. Give us a call or post and let see about getting it fixed

Review by ipv5 See Profile

• Location: Bryn Mawr,Delaware,PA
Good "Works for me, Fast and Reliable"

Internet speedtest gives:

IPV4 - 57.22 Mb/s Down 11.56 Mb/s Up
IPV6 - 56.46 Mb/s Down 11.64 Mb/s Up

Really like having IPV6 native connectivity.

Comments:

Review by miami786male See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "speed and CDV workes great"
Bad "none"
Overall "Best internet provider in my area. ATT DSL sucks.comcast Rocks"

i am happy with the service and set up of service. comcast keeps on working good and i have had zero down time so far with my digital voice and internet.

member for 5.7 years, 375 visits, last login: a few hours ago