Review by VIPerND See Profile

• Location: Granger,St Joseph,IN
Good "get faster than advertised"
Bad "a bit pricey"
Overall "competitors in area too slow"

ordered 50/10, get 57.7/11.5
TV, internet, phone. Will be dropping phone soon as no longer needed.

member for 9.4 years, 421 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

Move to Europe

Move to Europe were they have much faster broadband at way cheaper prices. Problem solved.

Review by why60loss See Profile

• Location: Madison Heights,Amherst,VA
Good "Free install, really fast speeds. Blast speed bump now free, hasn't stopped working yet. Now getting 120/11.5"
Bad "Took 6 months before I got the speeds as listed on the web"
Overall "Fiber would be better, but blows all other cable out of the water"

They did a really hard install for free, took over 5 hours but they didn't quit nor slow down. I was impressed that they still did it for free. They had to run 1000+ foot of new cable, drill holes in the walls because the home never had cable. Had to snake cable though the basement and more. This was a home far out in the sticks out side the city limits.

No useage caps at this time, cheep high speed internet. Upload speeds that blow my mind, far better than Time warner cable.

Never had had an outage or an issue that needed tech support, this is how TV/Internet should be like. Works when you need it every time and doesn't feel like it holds you back.

Only had it for a month and a few weeks. So may update later.

Update:

They jacked the bill by 20 dollars a month and I haven't gotten anymore than 35/6.5 over the past few months on the blast tier. Was told by tech support that 20mbs to 50mbs download and 5mbs to 10mbs was with in spec for blast. I think it's stupid that they think it's okay for the speed to drop to 25mbs download where the next lowest tier sits.

Downsteam power levels range from -11 to -13dbm and upsteam from 50 to 52dbm. A tech should come over in the next few days to look at it.

Update2:

The cable plant in the area is to old to support 50/10 and the bandwith is just not there. Now the blast speed bump is free and 6 months of HBO was also thrown in. Bill is more like 120 a month now.

Power levels are better now, downstream power levels range from -8 to -10dbm and upstream from 48 to 49dbm. Also the line on the power poles leading to the house is getting replaced.

36/6 for the same cost as 25/5 is not bad, so even though it is disappointing I guess this being a out in the sticks area this is not bad. Time warner cable was 140 a month and I only got 30/5 speed at most.

Update3: 4/3/2014

It's been two weeks and the power levels seem to be at -10dbm to even -11dbm most of the time. Still only getting a max of 36/6.5 with drops in speed below that at random times.

[IMG]»stage.results.speedtest.comcast.···ng[/IMG]

The web site says blast now should be 105/10, now I am only getting 1/3 of the right download speed at any time of the day. Really kind of disappointing, though its not nearly as bad as getting 1/3 of 15mbs download like I had at time warner cable.

They tried to bill 40 dollars for the tech visit, that's really low. At lest they removed it with out debate unlike one other cable ISP I know that thinks 60% packet loss and 100 dollars for a tech visit is "just cable".

At lest there hasn't been an outage so they still keep full points for that.

Update 4: 6/20/2014

The web page still list 105 for blast yet only getting 36mbs download at best and the upload is still 6.5mbs.

Tech support really seems to have no idea what is what like out of 5 or so:

1) One told me that blast is 50mbs

2) One other one said blast is 10 to 105mbs download.

3) One said that blast is 25/4 and extreme is 105

4) Then one said that blast is 35mbs

5) Then one said it's 50mbs

Speed test: [IMG]»stage.results.speedtest.comcast.···ng[/IMG]

Screen shot of blast listing:
[URL=http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/Valveistrash/media/comcast/Comcastspeeds_zpsc041d8b5.jpg.html][IMG]»i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a54···G][/URL]

Got a new modem at the Comcast office in a near by city, was told I would get what I get when I asked for a 8x4 channel modem. I did end up getting a new 8x4 modem but that was kind of rude. Power levels are better now after doing that, I think the old modem was cutting it too close with -14 dbm on the down streams.

Still good speeds for the money VS time warner cable and still a non enforced cap with good pricing. Well and blast is free so that helps.

Update 5: Netcool said the head end was the bottle neck and that it would be upgraded on the 25th. Rebooted the modem at 2am and bam: »www.speedtest.net/result/3584548798.png

I get around 100mbs down and 11.5mbs up on wifi. Very impressed so far. Ran a hardwire test get 120 down and 11.5 up.

I am sure if I do a hardwire test it will pass 100mbs, but even if now this is the bomb. Really don't think I need any faster for now. It's just insane internet speed for me, never had a 100mbs down connection before with almost 12mbs upload. Edit: It did 120 on hardwire, so I was right thinking the Wi-Fi was the bottle neck.

member for 1.8 years, 260 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

BUTTCHEEKS

@144.160.226.x

Comcast in Wake Forest?

You have Comcast in Wake Forest?
why60loss

join:2012-09-20
·Verizon Wireless..
·AT&T Wireless Br..

Re: Comcast in Wake Forest?

sorry about that mistake. I input the wrong zip code due to being so used to being in wake forest. I wish I had Comcast when I lived in wake forest. It would have likely saved me from thinking steam is a scam and that the internet was still in pre-beta.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage
·Cox HSI

Downstream power is a bit low

Your downstream power is a bit low. They might need to install a broadband cable amp. Similar this this one.

»www.amazon.com/Motorola-Signal-B···Booster-

Here is a quick guide to let you know what are consider good cable modem signal strengths.

Downstream Power (-15dbmV to +15dbmV)
Most modems are rated from -15dB to +15dB,

--->>> "however it's best to have it between +8dB and -8dB. Anything less or more than that and you may have quality issues. You can remove splitters on the line if you need to raise and clean up your signal level a bit."

Upstream Power (37dbmV to 55dbmV)
The lower this number is, the better. Above 55dB will most probably cause problems, over 57dB and you probably won't be able to connect.

Signal/Noise Ratio (>30dB)
SNR is best over 30, (the higher the better, might work well with as low as 25 at times). Anything less than 25 will cause dropped connections, packet loss, slow transfers, etc.

»www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=78

Babst

@50.172.223.x

No show for set-up

Comcast was scheduled to set up Internet and cable tv. When they didn't show up as promised, I called the toll free number, was connected to someone I could not understand and was disconnected. Called another toll free number and was on hold for 45 minutes only to be told that a serviceman did arrive at 1:21 pm but nobody was home. What a lie! There were six of us waiting for them. They claimed they knocked on a building with a brown door, (ours is gray) and nobody answered! They also had the wrong phone number and didn't even try to obtain the correct number. Unfortunately they're the only service in this area so we are at their mercy:(

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
N. VA, USA
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon Online DSL

Your local cable plant...

I am wondering where the upgrades need to be done. I checked FCC COALS to look up the Comcast system in your county, and it is a 750mhz system with an avg of about 100 people per node. Thats more than enough bandwidth to handle 50mbit Blast.

The problem must be up at the head end....interesting.

Keep us updated.
why60loss

join:2012-09-20
·Verizon Wireless..
·AT&T Wireless Br..

Re: Your local cable plant...

said by Zenit:

The problem must be up at the head end....interesting.

Keep us updated.

Yes I was told by the user netcool that the head end was going to be upgraded on the 25th and it was. Modem reboot and boom 95/11.5

Review by sambowomble See Profile

• Location: Murfreesboro,Rutherford,TN
Good "Stable internet and blazing prety good"
Bad "Internet package removed from plan even though internet still worked. Spent 3 hours with sales to fix plan to the way it was."
Overall "CS really needs to get on the same page and stop screwing with my account without my knowledge."

I have had just a minor startup issue with TV but somehow my internet was removed on my plan two weeks after I self activated but the internet still worked. Tech support kept telling me why was I complaining about getting something for free. Spent 3 hours with sales to find out "someone" called and removed my plan but it was still working but just out of the billing system. Got ahold of a diamond in the rough and he really helped me get my plan back to allowing me the ability to pay for what I am using since I believe in honestly. Geez I really don't want to have to call CS again because the sales team is more reliable about tech and CS stuff than CS's own department!

Comments:

Review by Proginoskes See Profile

• Location: Asbury Park,Monmouth,NJ
Good "Fast and Reliable"
Overall "Always On, Fast and dependable"

Can't complain about anything! Never had an outage, great speeds.

member for 12.9 years, 6191 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Stripe

@50.170.76.x

What???

If you've never had trouble with Comcast, the God's must be smiling on you. Here in the Seattle area, I have NEVER met a person who has anything good to say about their service. I myself have had both good and bad service from them, with more bad service than good. Now that they have sent their call centers overseas, customer service has become a nightmare.

Stripe

@50.170.76.x

Review by Moos See Profile

• Location: Salt Lake City,Salt Lake,UT
Good "28+mbs down and about 5 up."
Bad "-"
Overall "it's decent, no other option really."

Home internet, it's fast and reliable.

member for 5.6 years, 1441 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
crk2h

join:2003-03-19
Tullahoma, TN

2 xbox 360s?

All you need is a router and they will work just fine with the one IP address

Re: 2 xbox 360s?

Yeah I have one, they dont. The reason is you can only forward the necessary ports to one IP at a time. So when xbox 1 and xbox 2 try to open the ports simultaniously only one of them will work. If you call comcast for a few more bucks they give you a second IP so both xbox's can open the ports at the same time.
crk2h

join:2003-03-19
Tullahoma, TN
·LightTUBe
·Charter

Re: 2 xbox 360s?

I work at apartment community and we provide the internet. We have 816 students and I know more than one of them have 360's and get on at the same time. We only have one external ip address for the complex and I have never had a complaint about being able to access xbox live. There must be a setting that you have somewhere preventing you from connecting simultaneously.

Re: 2 xbox 360s?

Do you only have 1 modem?

Re: 2 xbox 360s?

Let me rephrase. You can still get on xblox live with both xboxs, but one of them will have a moderate nat type while the other will be open.

Review by insomniac See Profile

• Location: Naperville,Du Page,IL
Good "Speedy and reliable"
Bad "More money to the Comcast Borg"
Overall "It gets the job done"

06/16/2014 UPDATE: Rates have gone up, speeds are about the same. I'm supposed to get 25/2 but usually do not see that kind of throughput during peak times. The connection itself is solid and has only gone down a couple of times in 3+ years. Either way, it's still better than the AT&T DSL I once had, and I have no interest in U-Verse. Enforcement of the hypothetical 250GB cap remains suspended, though I watch my usage anyway and rarely come close to that limit.

01/18/2011 UPDATE: After my self-install, two billing cycles passed. HSI charges had still not appeared on my monthly bill, and I was not able to access my Comcast email (Web site said "Access requires Comcast High-Speed Internet"). Because I know that calling Comcast for a matter like this is worthless, I emailed the Comcast Cares team at we_can_help@comcast.com. A woman from Comcast Executive Care called me and, over the course of several phone calls, told me a number of things:

- She and the technical department were "confused" as to how I was even able to access the Internet. I explained that I did the same thing a tech would do: I plugged in the modem, entered the Comcast "walled garden" for activation, ran the software it made me download, entered my account number, chose the $44.95/month plan, etc. She remained confused and asked me for my modem's MAC address. I provided it, and she called back later to tell me my service was now "activated" (never mind that I "activated" it two months ago). The techs apparently thought that I wasn't getting billed because my modem wasn't registered. Well, if my modem really wasn't registered, I would never have been able to get out of the walled garden.

- I would be charged $44.95/month (which I knew), but I would also be charged a $25 one-time "activation fee." She tried to explain that $25 is less than the normal $50 tech install, but I didn't particularly care. Short of terminating the service, there doesn't appear to be any way out of that one. I guess $25 is the "honesty fee," since I probably could have just kept on getting free HSI if I hadn't gone out of my way to bring this to Comcast's attention.

- After all this, I still couldn't access my Comcast email. I could see the inbox preview on the front page at comcast.net and could see that there were 11 emails in there, including one from the Comcast Cares team, but attempting to read any of them gave me the same error as above: "Access requires Comcast High-Speed Internet". Still waiting for a call back to explain that one and get it fixed.

As far as I can tell, there was some sort of stupid backend database failure when I tried to register my service, and it never got properly linked to my account. My advice: suck it up and buy a new modem at a retailer, or order a self-install kit from Comcast. And don't count on a self-install going correctly the first time.

ORIGINAL 11/2010 REVIEW:

I was a Comcast HSI customer 7 years ago, ditched them for DSL and was glad to leave them behind. Things have improved! I get 16/2 for the same price as I was paying for 1.5/256 years ago. Best of all, I didn't need to involve a phone call or a clueless tech mucking around on my computer. I plugged in a modem I bought on eBay, activated the service myself using my existing account number and was online minutes later.

Speed tests are reliable and the connection is solid. No complaints!

Comments:

Review by Chuck22 See Profile

• Location: Salt Lake City,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Faster than dialup. Generally do have a connection."
Bad "Support services could be much better."
Overall "Is adequate--better than dialup. (I have no other options--no DSL)"

Comcast is okay. Obviously better than dialup. At my location I have either cable or dialup options. (Neighbors three blocks away can get DSL, but I cannot.) I do considerable research online thus dialup is really not an option. Generally my download speeds are very good. Upload is slow (but my needs are not too great). The few times I needed assistance, I found the Comcast Help Forums to be better help than using Comcast email, chat, or telephone assistance.

Update: Service occasionally down, but when calling support, nobody knows about any outage in "my area". Only service suggestions given so far were to shut down, then reboot (modem first, then pc); to wait an hour or two and see if service is restored; and (this one takes the cake!) use a dial-up service until cable comes back on! (My feelings about Comcast are not as good as when I initially wrote this review.)

Update: Service considerably more stable, reliable and generally better. Have nothing to complain about. (But faster uploads would be nice...)

Update(2): Had connection problems, Comcast finally sent out tech rep who found modem was intermittent (6 years old and dying). Replaced modem. New modem increased upload speed almost 6X. Hooray for Comcast!

Update(3): Still with Comcast, service here remains good. Rarely any outage. Both download and upload speeds have increased. No complaints!

Update(4): Comcast still working for me, and still the best in my area. Probably will stay with them until something better comes along.

Update(5): Still with Comcast. Is faster than the alternative (DSL). Unfortunately, has a few short outages per month. Still waiting for something better to come along. After about eight years, Comcast actually increased the "guaranteed for life" monthly internet price -- by not much, but I would think that "life" would be more than 8 years...

Update(6): Comcast cable is the fastest service available in my immediate area, so I'm still sticking with them. Adequate service for my needs.

Update(7): Still with Comcast as it is the only option in my immediate area which has any decent speed whatsover. If something else suitable was available, I would definitely check it out, but for now Comcast seems to be best choice here. Fairly good service and somewhat dependable as well. Still works for me.

Update(8): Since Comcast is my only option (and, more or less, it works for me) other than slower and less reliable (so I'm told) DSL, I'll stay with Comcast. Now if they would offer a more reliable modem...

member for 10.7 years, 3815 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by edhalen See Profile

• Location: Yorkville,Kendall,IL
Good "Quick installation"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Good value at promo pricing for now. Nice speed increase from 6/768 DSL."

UPDATED 5-30-14 to reflect current package:

Speed - 25meg/5meg

Cost - $19.99/month first 6 mos., then $34.99/mo. next 6 mos., then $62.99/mo. after that

Order/install process - smooth

Home equipment - Motorola SB6141 - self-purchased to avoid $8/mo. modem rental fee

5-29-14 UPDATE>> After being a ATT DSL customer at my current address for the past 6 years I've jumped ship to Comcast. DOCSIS 3.0 now available in my area and I figured they've likely cleaned up the network issues I experienced before which are noted below. So far after 1 week the connection is rock-solid and no packet loss or lag. Online gaming has been great. I REALLY love the 25meg/6meg speed package. Download speed actually tests out at 29meg. Promo price is $19.99/month for 6 months, then $34.99/month for 6 months, then up to $63 per month (regular price which is "locked-in" according to fine print). So, even including $40 installation and a $100 Motorola SB6141 modem (to avoid the $8/month rental fee) it averages out to the same price as we were paying for a 6meg/768k DSL package - which is as fast as we can get - over the next 2 years. Time will tell if the service is as good as the DSL was. DSL was rock-solid.

The installer was a nice guy but a little slow in figuring out how to get my install completed. I did need a new line to my office on the 2nd floor of my house due to the fact that the existing outlet is being used for satellite TV. He ended up running a new cable from the point of entry in the basement upstairs to my office. He did it with the least amount of cable present on the outside of the house as possible - which was nice. He also went through the trouble of testing the cable connections both at the box on the side of my house as well as the connections in the round cable box on the corner of my property to make sure they were good. They all tested clean. That was really nice of him to do that. All in all it has been a good experience so far. As usual with many things in life YMMV (your mileage may vary ).

ORIGINAL REVIEW from 2007:

I became a Comcast HSI customer by default. ATT didn't offer HSI here in my new neighborhood when we moved here in September of '06. So, we went with the TV/VOIP/HSI package. The HSI portion has been really good. The install went without too much trouble. I did have to have a tech visit to straighten out some poor cable wiring that the builder had done. The wires had to be trimmed down and better terminals installed. After that the signal was rock solid. Since install I've had no outages to speak of and the speed has been good. I'm on the 6meg/384 package. With respect to downloads and upload the power boost is a really neat thing and it works pretty well. My downloads are anywhere from 1.5 to 2 meg/sec!!! Uploads have just gone up to over 2000kbps - up from no more than 350kbps before. That is a nice advantage for Cable HSI over DSL.

As for the other 2 parts of the package - the VOIP service leaves something to be desired. We recently switched back to ATT phone service. The reason I bring that up is that recently ATT has brought HSI here through a new RT in my neighborhood. With how well the Comcast HSI experience has been so far I'm not sure I will go back to DSL. The only thing that would probably force me to is the cost. Because I have cancelled my TV and VOIP with Comcast they have threatened to raise my price of the HSI. All in all I have been pleased with the Comcast HSI experience. As always though, YYMV (your mileage may vary).

6/23/07 - UPDATE>> Comcast HSI is raising my price on the 6meg package to $55 per month. I can now get ATT HSI 3meg package for $25 per month. Also, over the past 3 months I have been experiencing latency spikes which is making online gaming very difficult. The latency spikes are consistent. It goes from 20-70ms up to 400-900ms and then back down. It's hard to game when your opponents are disappearing at random times. So, the Comcast HSI experience was great initially. The speeds were fantastic and the price was great - until we cancelled the other 2 portions of our package. Now the speed isn't worth the cost. When the ATT Elite package becomes available it will only cost $35 per month. Easy choice for me.

Comments:

Review by neufuse See Profile

• Location: Indiana,Indiana,PA
Good "Fast, limited outages"
Bad "Service calls sometimes are horrible"
Overall "Pretty good for the price"

Cable always seemed to have good uptime, very rarely have outages, only on upgrade nights which happens very late at night usually, or when a line is down somewhere... sometimes hard to get support for or convince them there is a problem... took 4 months to get a signal problem fixed when they kept claiming its in our house, turned out it was a deterorating fiber cable outside somewhere...

member for 7.6 years, 856 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by tim See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "It's fast."
Bad "Service is spotty once in a great while."
Overall "If available, Comcast is the best bang for your buck."

Update 5/14: Switched to AT&T U-Verse in a cost-cutting effort. Service was top notch, but I couldn't justify Comcast's bundle pricing.

Update 3/4/14: 4 years later, I'm still rocking with Comcast. No complaints at all, I am able to max out my 105mbit/sec service with ease. Current equipment consists of a Motorola SB6141, and an ASUS RT-AC66U.

Update 6/25/10: Still have Comcast. Reliability has gotten much better lately, but quite a few people have moved out of the neighborhood, so that's probably got something to do with it. Current equipment: Motorola SB6120, Linksys WRVS4400N.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------

I've had Comcast's HSI since August of 2007 (had AT&T DSL before that), and from my experience over this time, they're the best ISP for the price. Can't beat $42.95 a month for 12mbit service.

Installed the service myself, so there were no issues with the install process. Comcast supplied a Motorola SB5120 modem, which was great, but I replaced it with a Linksys BEFCMU10.

The only time that I've actually had issues with the service is when I switched to Comcast's "Home Networking" service (bad idea, btw), and my connection dropped constantly. Switched back to the Motorola + a WRT54G, and the problem was solved. Disconnected service in March 09 for DSL Extreme service.

Back on Comcast after 9 months of DSL Extreme. Using an SB6120 on the 22/5 plan. Speed is great, I'm able to get my full 22/5.

Comments:
Together
join:2012-05-23

Comcast Business Gateway - Double NATs Traffic even in Passthrough mode

Double NATing can cause issues for VPNs, Servers etc.

I really thought that Comcast Business grade service would eventually fix this, but it actually seems to have gotten worse with the newest Netgear CG3000DCR Gateway modems. Even with the purchase of a static IP there is now effectively no way to turn off NAT on outgoing traffic. Their so called Passthrough [Fake Bridge] mode configuration still has a 2nd hop on the modem's in-official LAN GW [10.1.10.1]. So when you tracert out of your network it looks like this:

1 192.168.x.1
2 10.1.10.1
3 [Your WAN IP GW]

Tier2 support confirmed they cannot fix it, effectively meaning there is no way to completely turn off NAT on outing traffic. Support also informed me that they will be switching to the Cisco DPC3939B Gateways, which have built-in Wireless. I'm crossing my fingers that the Cisco devices will have a better fake bridge mode, but knowing Comcast what's more likely is that it will be impossible to completely turn off the Wireless.

Perversely, you can still get real bridge mode if you buy you're own cable modem; But it only works with dynamic IPs.

tim
join:2005-06-07
Chicago, IL

Re: Comcast Business Gateway - Double NATs Traffic even in Passthrough mode

Yep, I've seen the same problem on business deployments. It's best to ask for one of the SMC D3G gateways, they do not have this issue.