Review by Acct101 See Profile

• Location: Bensalem,Bucks,PA
Good "Great picure and fast internest speeds"
Bad "Sports packages are not in HD"
Overall "I am much happier since I moved back to Comcast."

·T-Mobile US
I am really impressed with the quality of the services Comcast offered to me. It's the best I have very had. Comcast has really gotten their act together. A+++

member for 2.9 years, 473 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by hoserama See Profile

• Location: Tomball,Harris,TX
Good "Awesome constant speed & latency, reliable connection"
Bad "Expanding caps loom over the death of Comcast being a good bargain"
Overall "Buy now with the understanding you may move later if they expand caps to Houston market area"

Having spent a year with AT&T I decided to switch to Comcast for the following reasons: more speed for the dollar.

I was eyeballing their Blast! package which for the Houston area market at the time I purchased (Oct 2013) is 50Mbit down/10Mbit up.

Since Comcast is trying to make profit from renting cable modems, I opted to buy my own. I purchased a Motorola SB 6141 from Amazon and completed my on-line sign up for Comcast.

My first impression of the on-line signup for Comcast service was not a good one. I felt it ridiculous I needed to pay them for a self-install kit which consisted of a splitter, coax cable, and a network cable; most people already have these. Comcast considers this a requirement and will not allow you to not purchase it.

It took about five days to receive the kit. The kit was given to the dog as a chew toy and I begun the install process. Comcast *TRIES* to make this a fairly painless and easy process. The cable modem during the install process will actually divert the web browser on your computer to the proper activation webpage to complete the process. In theory if it works, its very painless and easy for anyone to do. Unfortunately, the downfall of this easy process was literature sent with my self install kit did not explain exactly how to do it. Instead, I tried going to a Comcast activation page by manually typing in the URL which may or may not have been the issue why by self-install failed.

I had to call the dreaded phone support. After several minutes of being on hold I wrestled the self install kit from the dog and began chewing on it myself. When I finally got through to someone I realized the self install kit was to be used to tie around your own neck in the event you have to call Comcast phone support; its brutal! For something as simple as activating my cable modem over the phone, it took literally 12 minutes with a non-native English speaking Comcast employee to communicate to them the MAC ID of the cable modem, have it correctly repeated, and then he wanted me to give it back to him again.

So that's the bad. The good about it is, ever since the self install was completed via phone support all has been well. In fact, I can say all has been PERFECT. I always get the advertised speeds. Speedtests inside and outside Comcast exceed the advertised speed of 50/10mbit. I have never experienced an outage even for a few moments. During the peak hours of the day, I do not experience sub-standard speeds.

You can read all the reviews you want about an ISP and there will always be bad as well as good reviews. In my opinion, if you are looking to get Comcast in the Houston market area and are moving into a new home or recently built home, you should be fine. My house is a 2012 construction. The drop to my house stretches about 250 feet which is relatively close. All houses in my neighborhood are now complete and granted there are a fair share of residents who have AT&T but with a housing development of over 400 homes, I am impressed with the quality of service I am receiving in my house.

My only concern moving forward is the future of Comcast and how it appears to be spreading coverage of its caps. This family of five (2 adults, 3 kids) use on average 1tb a month. Xbox live, PC's, laptops, and another half dozen wifi devices. We are a connected family! Even my refrigerator and thermostats are connected. If Comcast begins rolling out their caps into the Houston area as they did others my internet bill alone would exceed several hundred dollars. This is the downside to Comcast and when implemented in all markets will result in fierce competition by other ISPs to gain Comcast's lost customer-base.

7/31/14 UPDATE:

Since obtaining service my internet connection has been flawless. There has not been any periods of high latency or slow speeds. Yesterday, on 7/30/14, my Blast service experienced a speed upgrade as part of a Comcast initiative to roll out faster speeds. My Blast service went from 50/10mbit to 105/10mbit.

There was one outage created by a neighbor digging in his yard, breaking the cable going to my house. Comcast was at my house within two hours to replace but failed to bury the cable. After 5 weeks of calling customer service about the matter, I ended up resolving the issue by filing a BBB complaint. The issue was resolved promptly.

Comments:

bigjohn

join:2005-05-26
Woodstock, GA

CAPS will come...

They're here in ATLANTA now.
Comcast is doing this market by market to keep the groundswell of HATE / Complaint against them to a minimum... If caps come to your area, remember - comcast is a government authorized monopoly. Contact your state government / county government and complain!
JohnShade

join:2009-03-07
Pearland, TX

Re: CAPS will come...

"comcast is a government authorized monopoly" Nope, bigjohn, no cable company is a government authorized monopoly. All cable companies have !!contracts!! with the local municipal governments to operate in the area for which the company pays fees. Your idea about contacting the Local/State goverenment is correct, however. The truth is, as people vote with their wallets, companies will alter their policies. That's called capitalism

Review by Zenit See Profile

• Location: Purcellville,Loudoun,VA
Good "Fast & Reliable Connection (28mbit/5mbit), Good Phone Service with WiFi calling for cell phones"
Bad "Installation Problems, Billing Issues, Normal Tech Support is bleh"
Overall "Normal Tech Support is not helpful - use the support here. Fast Internet. The only choice for many homes..."

·Verizon Online DSL
Update 7/29/14:
Returned the old HD box, the SD Extra Outlet box, and 1 DTA to the local office. Line moved fast, CSR was friendly and asked how the X1 is working.

X1 is a great box, we are using the DVR more and more. Internet is stable at 28/5.

Bill has gone down to $93 thanks to the $10 discount I will have for a few months. I noticed they failed to remove the 1 DTA off of the account, so time to call or go back to the office.

Will keep this updated.

Update 7/15/14:
Got the X1 DVR installed a few weeks ago. Its a great box - slick UI, fast, and it has a clock on the front. It records shows scheduled without a problem. The install tech agreed to check the signals, but they were even oddly low off of the tap - the tap is a General Instrument tap so that dates the plant to the 90's (time for a rebuild? I thought they already did rebuild it to 860mhz according to FCC documents???). I tried to get him to replace out mid-90s RG6 drop but he would not budge due to the low signal levels off of the tap.

The tech decided to put a PPC 2-way active return 5 port amp on the side of the house to "fix" the signals. Hooked the modem into it too. It did help reduce the power levels on the upstream, but it lowered the SNR on the downstream from 36db to 35db. Without this amp the modem would be seeing -7 to -9db off of the first 2 way splitter. Internet speeds are still perfect (28/5) and the modem runs cooler with the help of the Amp.

Now for my main complaints. The existing 90's house box was too small for the PPC amp, and the tech did not replace it. So, I had a ball of coax and an amp dangling outside of the box. Unacceptable. For now, I took a black trash bag and wrapped it around the box to protect it from water ingress (Yes, I did a Verizon and it felt so wrong).

Photos of this have been attached to my review.

Update 6/27/14:
In light of the recent changes to Comcast's offerings, I called to renegotiate the bill. First CSR was condescending, but she transfered me to Retentions. The man I spoke with actually listened to me, and made the changes I was requesting while lowering the bill from $128 to $110:

-Obtain X-1 DVR (Free for 1 year, no more HD fee, $10 after the promo).
-6month Free Promo of some movie channel (Showtime I think?) that should automatically remove itself off of the account
-Lower the rate as much as possible, cancel the unused SD Box.
-Keep same level of internet, phone (the additional $10 for Blast would have put us at the same price, and we are looking to save a little)

The CSR tried to get me to upgrade to one of the gateway modems, but I declined as I have a nice Asus RT-N66U. A Comcast tech is scheduled to come out next Wednesday to install the requisite MOCA filter and put in the X1 box. Hopefully he will do a signal level check, as the signal on the line is rather week (-8 to -10db).

While I would have liked to get the 105mbit Blast service, the 28mbit Performance is more than enough. Eventually that will get bumped to 50mbit, just need to wait it out.

I will keep this review updated in light of the changes upcoming.

Update 6/11/14:

First outage of Internet and Phone in a long time - about 3hrs. Service was restored ahead of schedule, as Comcast said it would not be fixed until the next morning.

Update 5/7/14:
Services are consistent and stable. No usage caps yet. VZ still has not delivered on its promise of FIOS 7 years ago, so Comcast is the only choice for modern fast broadband.
The upcoming speed increases should have already happened (28mbit to 50mbit) but Comcast is taking its time with the upgrades across the country.

Only Complaint with the Comcast service (besides terrible support) is the price.

Update 12/31/13:

Reached out to Netdog here on DSLR, shortly after that the problem was fixed. The speed tier is correct in Account Overview, and I am getting my 28mbit/5.8mbit again.
Dont bother with the 1-800 support for anything of a technical nature. They wont listen to you. We are lucky we have the Direct Support and access to Comcast employees here.

I like that service is back to normal before the new year.

Update 12/28/13:

Well, the good times cant last forever. Something went wrong with Comcasts provisioning system, sticking me on the Performance Starter tier when I am paying for Performance. So instead of getting 28/5.8, we are getting 7/5.8. This happened since I had to reset the modem for my router to get IPv6 going again....ASUS routers are picky temperamental things but that's not related to this review update.

Once I reset the modem and saw how slow the connection got, I logged into my account. Seeing that the tier was wrong in account overview, I thought why not call them? Its a simple problem, shouldnt take Direct Support here on DSLR to fix it.

NOPE.

The first person I spoke to tried to get me to go through the reset nonsense 5 times. I did it already before I called 5 times. He seemed to fail to understand it was a PROVISIONING issue, he thought it was an issue with my network. Only after repeating that the error is right in My Account 5 times did he transfer me to billing.

The problem? Billing was closed. He transferred me to a closed department!

Ok, so lets try the 24/7 online chat. Oh god was this a terrible 2 hour discussion. The first person was relatively helpful, and said its not a Billing issue, its an Internet issue....ok then, its probably a billing issue, but lets give it a shot.

The internet person was useless. Vauge replies to questions, scripted responses, and a failure to understand the nature of the problem after I explained it countless times.

The real gem after she apparently figured out the problem, 2 hours in (changed my name to my username here):

· Joylyn > I have checked the account and I can see here that your internet plan is performance. It is showing performance starter because your online account is still not updated. It will take time, in fact, some take months for the online account to be updated.

· Joylyn > Are you using a wireless router?

· Zenit > Hardwired.

· Zenit > Gigabit Ethernet.

· Zenit > The problem is not on my end - when I reset the modem, it picked up the wrong speed tier config, causing this issue.

· Joylyn > Thank you.

· Joylyn > I do appreciate your patience and effort. Thank you for going through all necessary troubleshooting steps with me. We have now determined that we need to send a technician to further investigate and fix the issue. As part of the Comcast Customer Guarantee we promise that our technicians will be equipped to resolve your issue on the first visit and arrive on time.

· Zenit > No, there is no problem with the line.

· Zenit > Its in the billing system. I can see it right in My Account.

· Zenit > I am a Computer Science student - the modem signal levels are the same as before, swapped out the routers, tried directly connecting to the modem, its a config file. A prem tech can do NOTHING to fix that.

· Zenit > Its up in the billing system/head end

· Zenit > It would be a waste of money for Comcast to send a tech only to find out "hey, its up higher. Cant do anything, sorry."

· Joylyn > My apologies for the inconvenience. Please be informed that I have already checked everything. The settings of the modem match with the internet package.

· Zenit > Performance should be over 25mbit in this market. My account is showing the WRONG package - Performance Starter, which is much less.

· Joylyn > The performance starter on your online account is no reliable since it is not yet updated.

Brilliant, yes? It could take MONTHS for my speed tier to be fixed. MONTHS! Then I expect months of steep discounts from Comcrap. If their billing system is that bad, they should compensate customers accordingly with a discount. They probably hired the lowest bidder to build the system.

This happened at the worst time too - my time off from College. I would have liked to have fast internet for re-downloading my Steam apps on my clean install of Windows, but Comcast says nope!

Its a shame the only helpful people I have encountered within Comcast Support are at the very highest levels, here in the direct support forum. Obviously not happy due to the time waste caused by the traditional support, and loosing what we have been paying for.

But what choice do I have? They are the Cable Company, they don't have to care. They have a nice monopoly thanks to VZ being lazy and 4G wow profit oriented rather than upgrading their ancient copper DSL, or building fiber out.

Update 12/4/13:
Comcast increased our speed 25% for free, according to our bill. After they removed PowerBoost some months ago, our speed dropped to 23mbit. Now its 29mbit/5.7mbit. We are pleased with the service, and if Comcast continues providing regular upgrades and keeps the service reliable, whenever FIOS comes (if) there will probably be even less incentive to switch.

Great job.

Not too happy with the upcoming TV rate hike of $2, and the EMTA rate hike of $1, but what can be done, go back to 3mbit DSL? HAHAHA. Not happening.
Update 10/12/13:

Negotiated with Comcast (thanks to Direct Support here), reduced monthly bill back to $125, with same tiers of service and equipment. We had our first true outage last night, from 11pm to the morning, where Internet, Phone, and TV went out in our town. Other than that, its been the same. 25mbit down, 5 up. We will be returning one of the cable boxes to get the bill down to $115.

Overall still happy.

Update 9/29/13:

Well, rate hikes! Our bill has gone up from $135 to $165. The rent for the TV equipment is unreasonable. 1 standard HD box, 1 DCT700 SD box, and 2 DTAs is costing $25!

$165 for Performance, and the plain package of Digital TV is way too high. I know people who are getting Blast and DVRs at this price point. (Wait until they get their hikes!)

Time to negotiate with Comcast...

Dropping the value for the money rating, for the time being.

Update 7/10/13:

Still with the same service. Comcast recently changed the bandwith limit so our Performance package is a consistent 22Mbit down, 4.5Mbit up, down from 25mbit down. The quality of the connection is fine - decent latency and no slowdowns at peak times. The Digital Voice is reliable and has excellent clarity.

Verizon has begun to construct FIOS here, they will probably skip over most of the town, which means Comcast will continue to get our money. If FIOS becomes available in our subdivision, we will probably switch - that depends on VZ making an equivalent deal or better.

I noticed Comcast's newer promotions include a DVR at our price level. As usual, new customers get better deals than existing.

Update 4/14/13:

Still with the same services, no issues have arisen. Comcast renewed our promotional pricing, so we continue to pay $125 + rental fees for the TV boxes. They have started charging for the SD boxes, so we will be returning those. Comcast TV really is not competitive.

The Internet service has improved with time, with the removal of PowerBoost the speeds are a steady 2.5MB/sec down, 4mbit up. Seems that peering agreements have also improved. The IPv6 deployment has been completed in our area.

Nothing has changed with the phone - works as it should.

Now for the (minor) issues:

Billing has issues from time to time, dropping autopay and resulting in late bills.
TV Services are expensive, not too good channel selection, overpriced equipment rental.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------Origi nal Review------------------------------------------
Well, lets start of with the positive. The connection has been very fast and reliable. The Performance tier delivers a consistent speed of 1.8MB/sec, with powerboost it comes out to 2.4-2.8MB/sec. Upload is a steady 4mbit/sec. DOCSIS3 has practically eliminated the problem of congestion. Latency is generally low, however there have been some times of poor routing - this gets resolved (Poor Peering arrangements). Our previous ISP was Verizon, on their aging DSL. The 3mb/sec DSL was perfectly reliable, which is not a small miracle considering how VZ has abandoned their copper plant. The Comcast provided line is so much faster than the old DSL line - I don't look back at all.

The Phone service has worked fine, no complaints.

The TV product is aging. Comcast LOVES rental fees, and other fees. Why cant we buy our equipment outright like the rest of the world? The only reason we don't have a DVR is cost - its astronomical at $17 a month. Standard HD box is $9 a month. Additional SD box? $5 on your bill. The program guide is the same old Motorola system from 1999, very few changes. The Comcast Universal Remote is horrible compared to the DirecTV remote due to some odd glitches. (Turns on devices 1-by-1 rather than sending the signal all at once, a problem if you put down the remote too soon!) The only positive? The TV has been insanely reliable, never going out in the 1 year of service we have had.

Billing issues have been a constant pain, nearly monthly something gets screwed up (i.e DVR fee when we dont have a DVR, Package Price changing out of the blue, rental fee increases for no reason). Don't bother with Comcast's standard support - they are useless. Use the direct forum here.

Installation was a pain also. First tech was a contractor, refused to run RG6 to our Office upstairs and instead put the EMTA/Gateway in the living room far away from the hardwired PCs. (Brilliant) Second tech comes out (actual Comcast employee) and runs the RG6 in 15 minutes. He also replaces the Gateway with a standard EMTA (Arris 722G) at my request. This should not had required 2 Tech visits.

Overall? Internet is fantastic, Phone just works, and the TV product is aging in the modern era, an expensive core product. Just good luck with Support!

member for 2.3 years, 628 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Comcast crap

@50.172.65.x

Comcast is crap

Comcast is the worst ever,never had to deal with such a bunch of morons in my life ,no communication within the company ,service is crap!,do yourself a favor don't ever get comcast anything

mzpammie56

@69.254.217.x

Billing issue

In April, I became a subscriber. Received bill. Many excess charges. contacted customer service for help. Talked with a rep who informed me that adjustments would be made. A new bill would be sent out in a couple of days.

By the way I was told the conversation would be recorded.It wasn't. I was given assurance that a new bill would reflect the changes.

On May 7, a new bill did arrive. Showing no adjustments. Same Amount for April. However May bill is only $75.17. Maybe this is reflecting adjustments. Then I called to speak with a rep about previous bill and she promptly informed me that no adjustment had been made. There was no record of my conversation with a CSR in April.

I spent about 30 minutes attempting to solve the issue for previous months bill all to no avail.believe me I know that the rep is only following rules, but why do they give false information. If the first guy couldn't make the necessary adjustments why not just say so.

I intended to discontinue the internet service in April after being given misleading information. The rep assured me that it would be straightened out and a new bill sent out. prompting me to keep the internet. Had I known it would only get higher, trust me, I would have ended this service sooner.

therefore, subscribers beware! That's all I got to say about that.Looking for a trustworthy internet service. where integrity still reigns.

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Verizon Online DSL

Re: Billing issue

I know your a guest...but try to get a hold of Direct Support here. Sign up for a DSLReports account.

Direct Support is the only way to get any help from Comcast. They are terrible indeed, but when my only alternative is 3mbit DSL from another bunch of lying crooks (Verizon) what can I do? :/
'
Most of these ISPs in the USA dont have any integrity, their only concern is how much money they can make. Keep that in mind.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage
Check with you state laws.. Here in AZ.. It's a one party notification when it comes to recording phone calls.. I'm the only party that needs to be notified when I'm recording myself talking to lawyers, insurance companies, and other shady people like cable companies.

A lot of states are one party notification.

Review by PaulHikeS2 See Profile

• Location: Manchester,Hillsborough,NH
Good "Speed, Reliability"
Bad "can't really think of any"
Overall "Satisfactory. Does exactly what I expect it"

For me, this is like a review of electricity. When I turn on a light, it comes on. Same with my internet. It always does exactly what i expect it to do.

member for 11.5 years, 2015 visits, last login: 2 days ago

Comments:

Review by ricklg See Profile

• Location: Laurel,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "Connection Speed, Reliability"
Bad "Tech Support"
Overall "Quite satisfied overall"

·Vonage
Latest Review at the bottom.

6/15/2004 Original Review:

After having various dial up services since 1992 (remember Prodigy at 2400 bps?) I decided to try Comcast HSI. Dial up was OK, but I had seen what broadband was like at work. In February 2004 I saw the Best Buy offer for Comcast HSI at $19.99 for 3 months ($42.95 after), Motorola SB5100 (free with rebate), Comcast self install kit (free with rebate), and a $75 Best Buy Gift card. The gift card was good for a router and a few bucks more. This looked like a good deal so I took the plunge.

Self install was a snap (sort of). I already had Comcast Cable TV service so there was no need for a technician to come out. I spent about an hour cabling up and running the self install software. I ran the connection software and it wouldn't connect. I tried and tried. I finally called Comcast to register the modem MAC address. Best Buy supposedly registered the modem with Comcast when I bought it, but Comcast had no record of it. After a few calls to get the right MAC address installed and their database updated (twice!) everything worked fine. The Indian lady was very hard to understand tho. It was about 6 hours from opening the box to being on line.

The service is 3Mb down, 256Kb up. The DSLreports benchmark shows 3.1 Mb down, 240Kb up. This has been consistent for the 4 months I've had Comcast HSI. It is sometimes a bit pokey (down to 2Mb ), but I've also seen 4.7Mb at times. I've only been down 3 times in 4 months and one of those times was during a storm where I lost power for 6 hours. The other 2 times were 10 to 45 minutes long. My area is a new installation for Comcast HSI so my mileage may be different than yours.

Tech support is terrible if you don't have a configuration question. I tried the on line chat help to ask about a port 123 (network time) network routing problem. It had been working then it stopped after a month. The chat guy was nasty and clueless. I called the 800 number and the first person I talked to was pleasant, but clueless. Neither knew what I was talking about and assumed I was stupid. I got to the next support level and finally talked to a knowledgeable person. It shouldn't take 3 hours to find someone who understands your question.

Overall I'm quite satisfied. As long as my service remains reliable and I don't have to call tech support I'll be very happy. I have other broadband choices (Millennium Cable and Verizon DSL), but Comcast seems to be the best available. I'm still thinking about the price difference from ATT Worldnet dial up ($16.95/mo) and Comcast, but I think I'm hooked on broadband.

4/15/2005 Update:

After 1 year with Comcast I'm truly hooked on broadband. My service suffered during the October 2004 through January 2005 speed upgrade. There were speed and modem sync problems during that time. Since they announced the upgrade complete in January 2005 I have had nothing but good, reliable service. I now have 4000/384 service with the upgrade. Speed tests consistently show 3700/350 or better.

They have had several bad DNS outages in April 2005, but I put an alternate DNS address in the router and never noticed the problem.

I haven't had to call tech support in a while (thank goodness), but I assume it's as abysmal as ever. I would go with someone else with comparable service and good tech support, but they don't exist.

11/15/2005 Update:

I'm still very satisfied with my Comcast HSI service. The Summer speed upgrades went well. I have been consistently getting 6Mbit/s down and 350Kbits up since August.

I had to call customer service (sigh) in July when a thunderstorm knocked the cable out. I called and found out it was a big outage. Two days later I called again (service rep was surprised I was still out) and got a truck roll 2 days later. The technician was very accommodating and spent about an hour troubleshooting. He determined the problem was in the distribution system. He put in a work order, but he couldn't confirm a completion date. Sigh. Not his fault, that's just the way it works. Late the next day my Internet connection came up.

I was without Internet service for 5 days. I can't blame them for the thunderstorm, but anything past a day or two (especially when it's in their distribution system) seems grossly inefficient to me. This outage also affected my neighbors so I would have expected a bit more alacrity in their response.

Besides this act of God, the service has been reasonably solid with only 3 outages in the last 6 months that lasted about an hour each. I don't think this is too bad.

Although I can't complain about the Internet connection, the price is still a bit high. I'll consider going to Verizon FIOS if the price is right.

4/15/2007 Update:

I still can't complain. My ratings remain the same. Service since my last update has been pretty solid. Download speed is very close to the advertised 6 Mb/s and I'm seeing 640Kb/s upload with the upgrade a few months ago. Power Boost works fine. There were a couple of short down times, but I guess they have to do maintenance sometime They didn't bother me in any event.

I haven't needed to call them for anything recently, but my previous opinions about tech support remain. I'm still biased and they haven't done anything to change that. (Not necessarily their fault, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth.)

Verizon finally put a connection box in front of my house, so I'm definitely FIOS ready at the curb. Verizon prices are commensurate with Comcast prices so I'm not ready to explore new ground by changing (yet). It's good to know I have a viable alternative to Comcast if they get unreliable or more expensive than Verizon. Comcast is making waves about ditching analog cable. If they try to charge me for the digital TV box(es) that may be my clue to go FIOS. I'm hanging tough for now.

5/25/2008 Update:

My opinion remains unchanged. The network has been reliable except for when Mother Nature causes problems. These outages were taken care of quickly. I made 1 service call during the last rating period. I asked for a line tech and got an installer. When he got here he told me I should have asked for a line tech...sigh. I fixed the problem myself (corroded connector). The installer magnanimously said he wouldn't charge me.

I'm still quite satisfied although tech support still needs a lot of work (but you already knew that!)

3/27/2009 Update:

I'm still quite pleased with the Comcast service and reliability. My service was upgraded to 12Mbit/1Mbit in December with no price increase (still $42.95). This upgrade is working very well. I am still using my original SB5100 modem (I'm glad I didn't rent it!).

The 250GB cap doesn't affect me yet so there's no reason to complain. I am concerned that if I use more streaming video that this could be a problem in the future. I was lucky to not need to call tech support in the past year so I avoided that frustration.

I received a Christmas gift of an HD TV. This has got me thinking again. Comcast HD choices are severely limited in my area despite advertising to the contrary. So far it's OK, but my choice of TV providers could affect my choice of ISP.

10/28/2009 Update:

Comcast has been very reliable since the last update. Because I haven't needed to call customer support I'm still quite happy.

12/13/2010 Update:

The service has been very reliable since the last update with contracted download speeds (12 Mbit/sec) being available most of the time. In fact I've seen 25 Mbit/sec on some large downloads lasting 10 or 15 minutes. This is beyond Power Boost.

Another year has gone by where I didn't call their (still presumably) abysmal customer service. I've had no problems that required a call. They've trained me not to call...sigh. This has been to their detriment. I've been contemplating upgrading my TV service for the past year or so. I've been afraid to change something (billing and service) that is working. A decent web page that shows ALL the options would be nice though.

5/20/2011 Update:

I'm still quite satisfied with my Comcast Internet. I've had no need to call them for service recently although I've noted in just the past few days that my modem power levels are becoming marginal...sigh. I hope I don't have to try to explain this to whatever droid I get on the phone.

Alas and Hallelujah! Their website FINALLY had an entry for ordering an HDTV box without the $40 installation fee, the $30/hr charge, and the miscellaneous cat sitting fee (or whatever). They've trained me not to call so I didn't. I get the local stations' HDTV signals from the raw cable (that's what I usually watch) so I haven't missed much. Comcast missed the 2.5 years of the $10 HD fee because of their abysmal customer service and a web page that is only relevant to new subscribers.

I took the plunge and I'm anxiously awaiting my HD self install kit. I'm less anxiously awaiting my next bill which I assume will not be correct or at least not what I expected...sigh.

I've looked at FIOS (the fiber is in front of my house), but I still haven't seen a reason to switch. The prices are about the same and Comcast has been reliable. It's good to know that I have another choice should Comcast decide I don't matter any more. I've had Comcast (and its predecessor) for 19 years so inertia also figures in to any decision to change.

As a side note I'm still using my original SB5100 modem I got free (after rebate from Best Buy) in 2004. I've certainly got my money's worth out of this puppy While my current 12 Mbit/2 Mbit service doesn't require anything better I suspect I'll need to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3 modem sometime soon. Maybe I'll put a new modem on my Christmas list?

7/19/2011 Update:

I am still satisfied overall with Comcast (TV and Internet) although my experience with my new HD set top box (STB) shows customer service is still lacking. I received my new HD STB by mail on May 23. Plug it in and it works after a few hoops to jump through. Nope, DOA. It didn't work because it wasn't in their database. It took a week to figure this out. Eight calls over two weeks couldn't resolve the problem. The installer arrived on June 4, but was clueless about my problem. Luckily she had an HD STB. This one worked. I waited for my bill.

The June bill wasn't too far off given that I finally got a $25 credit for my trouble. They charged me for HD between May 20 and June 4 with 1 day credit for May 27. I'm guessing my 1 day credit was someones attempt to fix the billing problem, but didn't do it right. I had told them not to charge me for service not provided. OK, I would be arguing about $5 or so. Being afraid of the can of worms I might be opening I just paid the bill. I then anxiously awaited the July bill.

The July bill charged me for 2 STBs. I've never had more than one working at a time. I called, gave a one sentence description of my problem, and the lady agreed with me. She immediately credited my bill for the overcharge. I just about fell out of my chair! I now await the August bill...sigh.

I won't upgrade my opinion of Comcast's customer service based only on this one ray of light. Getting HD service to work was a nightmare of phone calls with no one really knowing what to do.

5/13/2013 Update:

Service is still good and reliable. The price went up $5 (Internet) since the last review. TV went up even more...sigh. I had my coax severed by Verizon Fios contractors in Nov 2011. I asked them if they cut my cable. "Oh no senor, we no cut cable." Crap! I called Comcast.

A total outage didn't impress them so I got someone 2 days later. They gave me the impression this was expedited from the run-of-mill outage. The technician saw the coax was buried about 6 inches below ground and was 20 years old. He told me that he'd schedule my cable for replacement in the spring (2012). HA! It never happened as I thought! Everything still works and I've had a speed increase or two. I'm up to 20mbit/s on the performance tier.

Overall I'm still satisfied with the company and the service it provides. Customer support probably still sucks, but I've been lucky not to need any recently.

7/23/2014 Update:

My service has been quite reliable since my last review, but then I haven't changed anything since the last review. I lost a few HD channels that were thrown in when I first got the HD set top box. I guess they figure that there are enough HD channels now so that I won't complain. Of course much that claims to be HD is not...sigh. It would take $20 more to get back the channels I lost--it ain't worth it!

I have a policy of making no changes with Comcast. Things tend to get screwed up and take a month or two to straighten out if I do something different. Sometimes I feel like being adventuresome and add service, but my previous experience tells me to leave well enough alone. I'll just read a book!

No real need to mention that the cost keeps going up. I AM pleased with the 25Mbit down and 5Mbit up increase. This is good enough for what I do (for now). Go back to my comments from 10 years ago where I thought that 3Mbit/256Kbit was just the greatest. I was happy with my 56Kbit modem in 1995. Times change and our habits evolve. In 1995 I couldn't buy much of anything on the Internet. Today I buy things that I COULD go down to the store for, but I don't.

Comments:

Review by csiemers See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR
Good "The install went very smoothly. The speed!"
Bad "Took couple weeks before an installer came out."
Overall "So far so good."

Was moving and decided I wanted to get rid of my land line which also meant getting rid of my DSL provider as they don't do naked DSL. The ones that did cap, and I knew the Comcast Business didn't and my sister had been using them for her business for several years quite successfully.
So picked up the phone and placed an order.
About a week later they had a "survey" which meant someone drove by and probably checked, from the pole, whether I was able to receive service. They never even came to the door. Then took another week for an installer to come out. Within about an hour he had me up and running on my 12/2 service.
Update 2/8/2012:
Price has gone up on the modem by $2 a month. Just smoke and mirrors price increase which doesn't have to be reflected in their advertised price.
Connection still going great. More speed than seem to ever need. Streaming movies, TV, and gaming all used on this connection.
Don't miss the Satellite TV or the DSL at all.
Update 10/10/13:
First 2 years was up a month ago. Don't remember too many outages, if any in all that time. Did sign up for a Static IP and reuped for 2 more years to lock in a lower price.
Update 7/15/14:
Connection is still going strong. Now at 16/3 with a Static IP. Works great and have had no issues. Plenty fast for my household.

member for 14 years, 6598 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by crk2h See Profile

• Location: Murfreesboro,Rutherford,TN
Good "New X1 guide is pretty nice. Has a great picture quality."
Bad "None so far"
Overall "I am loving the fast download speeds!"

·LightTUBe
·Charter
Update 5/21/2014
Installer came to setup and did a great job. Very courteous. Speeds so far are as advertised got 120 Mbps down and 22 Mbps up.

Update 5/17/2014

I am moving back to Murfreesboro. Signed up and scored a 2 year deal of 105 Mbps package with the 230+ Channel Package including HBO and Showtime and phone service for $129 a month. I will update once I get the service installed.

Update 3/14/2012

Still happy with my service Very Fast Internet!

Update 10/27/2011

Dropped triple play and now have internet and cable for $95 a month. (Digital Preferred + Showtime+ Blast Internet) I also have 1 hd box, 1 hd-dvr, and 2 dta boxes and was told my bill would run $95 for 12 months!!

Update 10/13/2011

Still having no problems with my service. Added Sports Pack, HBO and Showtime so now my bill is running around $160 a month for phone, internet, cable (HD Box, HD DVR and 2 DTA boxes) Internet speeds remain consistent always get around 25 Mbps down and 4 Mbps up. I think that the service has gone out maybe once since I have been back with them. I can't wait for the new set top box interface to come out whenever that might be. The beta looked really cool from the screenshots that I saw.

**Update**So far so good with Xfinity aka Comcast. I must say that the HD picture quality has improved tremendously here in Middle TN since last time I had Comcast. (I guess since they went all digital they don't have to compress as much or maybe a different type of compression is being used now) I am constantly getting speeds above 16 Mbps even during peak times. I did the $99 triple play and added an HD DVR and an HD box and bill runs around $140 a month for the 1st 12 months at least.

Comments:

Review by redtruck See Profile

• Location: Grottoes,Rockingham,VA
Good "fast, alway works, consistent speeds"

The service works as it should and I get the speeds I am paying for. (Blast) No problems with customer service reps, every issue is handled professionally and quickly.

Comments:

Review by devjonfos See Profile

• Location: Beaverton,Washington,OR
Good "Internet speeds continue to increase without additional cost"
Bad "HD technology fee of $10, Soft Cap of 250GB"
Overall "Good, fast, internet service at different tiers with affordable prices"

I've been a Comcast customer for just over six years. I started with their 6Mbps Internet service and Digital Starter TV. I've updated this review every few years. I've changed packages over the years, including cord cutting and running only the internet service.

Current Chapter: I now have an Internet/TV package consisting of Blast Internet and Digital Economy TV. The total package is about $94 including taxes. The bandwidth has increased to about 55Mbps download and 11Mbps upload. The Motorola Surfboard SB6121 I bought back in 2011, to save modem rental fees, has been very reliable and that model has received Comcast's highest marks in testing. Comcast has also announced that they will double internet speeds again for their various internet packages. Mine should double to 100mbps in the near future. My only gripe is that I have to pay an additional $10 to receive HD TV and that they have a soft cap of 250GB, "...enforcement of the 250GB data consumption threshold is currently suspended." With all the streaming video that I watch, I regularly bump up against that soft cap of 250GB. There are no overage fees now; however, after the merger...well, we'll see.

Cheers!

member for 10.2 years, 1905 visits, last login: 60 days ago

Comments:

Review by odog See Profile

• Location: Atlanta,Dekalb,GA
Good "50/5 with quad tuner multiroom DVR"
Bad "multi day outages, inept techs, and bad service"
Overall "it works great, but when it stops... good luck getting them to fix it"

Update 6/14

Upgraded to the X1 platform. They tried to force me to get voice and rent a eMTA. It was a pain in the but to get the bill right, and just have TV/internet. After all the drama with that the service has worked great.

Update 12/20/11

I'm now paying more than ever for internet/TV. The service is pretty good, but I am still tempted by Uverse. Too bad Uverse has such slow internet service.

I haven't had to deal with them much, did have a short outage a few months ago but they gave me credit so I'm not too upset.

Update 6/9/11

I've now got both bonded DS and bonded US carriers, way to go Comcast. Service has been very reliable so far only one non maintenance window outage. TV service still working well, and multi room DVR is handy

Update 9/8/2010

Moved across town and wen through the same pain that is interacting with Comcast. I did a transfer of service and after moving none of the equipment worked. I called and found out that they never moved the equipment to my new account. After they fixed that my DVR and internet started to work. Unfortunately the DTAs would not work. I called three times finally getting an obnoxious girl who claimed that both of my DTAs were "broken". I decided to give up and just replace them, knowing there was nothing wrong with them. I went and got another and it worked fine after being provisioned.

Later that week I had multiroom DVR installed. I got new DCX3400m, and 3200m boxes and the service works great. The price isn't that much better than two DVRs but is cool and worth it to me.

The tech they sent this time was actually very good. Definitely knew what he was talking about and was quite professional.

Update 12/29/09

Had to deal with the behemoth that is the Comcast again. A neighbor of mine had cable installed and the tech disconnected two of my three cable outlets to hook them up. I had to fight with the CSR on the phone, get to a supervisor and go into the lockbox to determine that this was the cause. I gave them a chance to get a tech back out there to make the repair. The first supervisor lied and never called back, after saying he was going to try get a tech out. This supervisor actually left immediately after talking to me and never even attempted to get a tech out to me. I called back and obviously annoyed threatened to disconnect the new subscriber if they could not get me an appointment. They wanted to me to wait for three days for a tech to come out, which wasn't acceptable. After getting the supervisor to give me a next day appointment I made the cable work without disconnecting any other subscribers.

Dropped the tech support and services down to one and upped the value and connection up to four.

Update 6/25/09

Had a pretty horrible experience with disconnecting my cable even after I had canceled it.(May 6th) After the debacle with Comcast in April I was going to just use an ATSC antennas for TV and DSL. I unfortunately discovered that the only DSL I could get was 1.5/256, so I canceled the disconnect. Too bad they decided to it anyway. That next day I turned myself back on, rather than wait two days to get a tech out to do it. Later that day they had another outage. After the outage was resolved my service was still out. I ended up having to go back into the lockbox, and replace the splitters in there to get everything up and working. Since then it has been pretty good besides a 3 hour outage the other night.

Update 4/15/09

I just had to suffer through a 2 day outage that ended up being a one minute fix. The power blipped on Monday morning during a storm and the cable/internet went out. I called when I got to work and figured they'd have it fixed before I got home. It was early in the day, and the entire node was out, giving them plenty of time to fix it. FYI my apartment complex has its own node, and I'm one active away from it. I came home late Monday night, still no cable. I called again, CSR old me that someone had been dispatched at 12:31AM but they hadn't heard back from him. It was about 12:50AM so I gave them the benefit of the doubt and thought they'd have it back on before I woke up. I couldn't be more wrong. I woke up Tuesday, still no cable or internet. Called again during the day Tuesday still no ETA for the fix. I had been monitoring my connection from work and it was still down when I left work. When I got to my complex the Comcast truck was trying to get past the gate. I let him in, and explained that it's probably the LPI as the cable went out from and electrical surge. I told him exactly where the node was, and pointed out the LPI. He opened the LPI housing and replaced the fuse, viola we had cable again. Two days of waiting for a one minute fix. The guy commented that he would have come sooner if he had known it was such and easy fix.... thanks buddy... If it happens again, I'm replacing the fuse myself.

Update 12/21/08

I dropped HBO after the promotion ended bill was to high with all those extra goodies. I am however very happy with the internet service which is now 12/2 with powerboost to nearly 30Mbps.

6/2/08
I tried to deal with Comcast by calling the 800 number and hit a brick wall.... unreasonable charges for installation, long dates out for the installation etc etc etc.

Luckily the apartment community I live in has a contractor that works there very often. I was able to call and schedule the appointment with Comcast, then give him my account and work order numbers. He took it from there and got me hooked up.

So far the internet service is doing ok, ~6-10Mbps not the best for a powerboosted market but better than nothing.

Video is nice, doesn't look too badly compressed and I get plenty of channels.