Review by asalamon See Profile

• Location: Bethesda,Montgomery,MD
Good "Awesome Internet & TV"
Overall "Happy I switched from FIOS!"

Comcast Xfinity X1 platform is great. The first time since the original Tivo box came out that I haven't been disappointed with guide. Internet is reliable and Netflix works great (which was constantly buffering on Fios).

Comments:

Review by grod46 See Profile

• Location: Firebaugh,Fresno,CA
Good "Great Speeds and Great support from local center and Non overseas support"
Bad "Install fees"
Overall "if you want fast speeds i would highly recommend comcast "

Ordered online and got next day installation, the technician was very kind and helpful, replaced all the cable from the tap all the way to each of the individual rooms, the gateway is okay at best, would highly recommend getting your own modem and router unless your getting VoIP from comcast.I currently have the X1 Double play with one X1 DVR (free for 1 year) and 3 Companion X1 HD Boxes, Blast 105 (upgraded from Blast 50) and have a Owned Moto SB6141.

member for 1.9 years, 356 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by FarmerBob See Profile

• Location: Littleton,Arapahoe,CO
Good "It's there when I need it and has performed admirably since install (until Spring 2013 Increase) . . ."
Bad "Nothing just yet. And hoping nothing later . . . Spoke too soon . . ."
Overall "When needing to flee from CenturyLink, these guys stepped up. Tripped, stumbled, stepped up, tripped again . . . getting there."

·EarthLink
·ViaTalk
09/18/14

As directed I called back to the Exec CSR dept to "review" options on another years pricing and once again could not get a hold of my rep that told me to call back. So I left a message on the main line and got a call back from my, yet another, new CSR (number 9, I think). He was and has been reachable and quite attentive (and promises to be so forever on) to what I need. Although since I couldn't get a hold of anyone, and needed to get things resolved since I had a standing bill with the new rebound pricing, I called retention and got an OK deal after being told that the one I had could not be had anymore. But I did end up with triple the speed, 20/5 to 60/10 for $20 more a month. Now either the increase in speed put me in a slot that is more reliable or they are really cleaning things for another speed increase that I was told was in the works for my area. Of which I was told I would be getting another speed bump in a couple of months when the capability is rolled out in my area. So far things are better at the new speed. I think the slower speeds have inherent issues that the faster tiers don't. So for the most part I am happy. Although I would have been happier at the slower speed and lower pricing. AND at the lower pricing I was content to rent the modem. They were doing me a bit of a favor so I thought I would do them one and help add to the $300 Million rental pile. Now that it's increased, it's time to buy a modem.

Update: 10/11/13:

Well for the first 18 months, not counting the billing issues that finally got fixed by ExecCSR #2, it was great. But since the "Speed Increase" in the Spring of 2013, it's been a bit of a nightmare. My speed and solidarity hit the floor when it was suppose to be increased. I am now on my 7th ExecCSR who I have only heard from once after leaving 6 VMs, so I guess it's on to number 8. Tracking speed graphs from the best speed test site SpeedOf.me looks like a child bouncing a ball on the floor. I had a personal Tech Rep that in the beginning first said that it was all on my end until I told him to look up my last tech visit, which the tech that came out got pissed off because everything was perfect, if not better. He sad that we were wasting his time when he could be helping someone that really needed help. I didn't ask for him ECSR #4 said one had to be dispatched to start the ball rolling. After checking this report my over the phone regional tech super, now says it's on their end, he'll check into it and call me back. And at that time my 18/3 speed was all I should expect he said. Needless to say, I never heard back from him.

I had 30/6 solid before they started jacking around with things. That was last April and I have not heard from anyone since. And when I try to call him, he is no longer at the ext that he gave me. I have been told the reason that I am on my 7th CSR and techs are not returning calls, is because their department has been so successful at solving problems that they were escalated to cover the whole country instead of my particular region. Or so the dept head told me. Then she said I'd be hearing from another ESCR and I have yet to. This was last June. The day we buried my father (July 18th), what macabre milestone, my speed went back to 30/6 and has been all over the as the speed graphs show. But over the past couple of weeks things are leavening off at 30/6. Still a bit rocky and not a solid as it was. Good traffic happens with a solid connection, not speed. Speed is just an illusion that they use to make you think you got it good. WRONG. And their Flash or JAVA based speed tests can be "rigged". Use SpeedOf.me for a clean HTML5 test. Of which shows I have a faster connection than the new IPv4 & 6 test Comcast is using now. So day by day I watch and wait, when I use to just cruise along. We'll have to see what happens next. Oh and if you have a good connection, relish it and do not take it for granted. It may be gone tomorrow.

12/19/11:

First, my sales rep was great. I had an old eMail address for a manager that I worked with on a business install that was no longer with the company. But the eMail I sent was properly forwarded and I was contacted with no further effort on my part. She was right there with the info I needed and instantly took care of any weirdness or complications. Hurdle number one cleared easily.

So . . . It's been a little over a week since install. I wanted to give it a couple days for both me and the service to settle in a bit. I had to postpone a couple of times, weather issues. I wanted the installers not to have to deal with snow. Postponing was easy and there were no issues nor people getting perturbed about it and their electronic system keep accurate pace with all the changes. Once up and running, speed is great. 3X faster down, 6X faster up at a quarter of the price. Two Techs were dispatched, although only one was needed, but it made the install a lot faster. AND unlike "certain satellite installers", these guys were not afraid to go up on the roof and get things done as needed. It makes a big difference. These guys were sharp, confident and considerate. They worked with me as if I was their direct superior making it a team effort where all my wishes and concerns were addressed and I got an install the way it should be. Haven't seen that kind of interaction in a long while. Quite refreshing.

Price. Although I'm in a promo period, even when it's over I'll still have faster service at a cheaper price. And from what I am seeing, Xfinity is stepping up and are making it very desirable to migrate from CenturyLink. I have been a member of these forums for a long time and know that there is good information here. What I have been seeing is a dynamic switch in reviews and customer experiences with the market absorbing Qwest/CenturyLink on a far more negative level than I have ever seen for any provider of any kind of service. And Comcast rising nicely. Which made it easier for me to migrate. Mostly on a "mental comfort" level.

So far all is good and I am confident that it will stay that way. If not, I'll be right back and let you know.

Thanks to all involved that has made this so painless and hassle free that I'm not really noticing that I have new service, other than the great speed and stability that is making my life so much better. Oh, but that constantly flashing LAN light on the modem is making me nuts. I'm use to DSL flashing only when there is traffic.

Oh I forgot: I was hoping to get a Surfboard (SB)6120 or 21 as the rental so I could try it out so when it came time to buy one I'd had have experience with it. Since it's one of the #1 cited out there and given three stars on the Comcast modem page. But I was given a Ubee (never heard of it before) DDM3513 instead being told that it's their latest and greatest. So that started me on a night of investigation on my new service. I found the Ubee is one of the better and also found that my service can handle a better level of modem. That being a Zoom 5341J that I would have never known about if I didn't have to surf. So in the long run I won't be staying with the Ubee, but won't be going with my prime choice of the SB either.

member for 13.8 years, 1576 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by floydb1982 See Profile

• Location: Kent,King,WA
Good "Fastest in my area"
Bad "N/A"
Overall "Faster than CenturyLink DSL"

·Clearwire Wireless
I have the 50Mb/s internet + HDTV. Works great and it's way faster than CenturyLink DSL. I did how ever have to get a signal booster after having HDTV installed in both my bedroom and living room. Other than that it works great. It may be $81.54 a month but well worth it to me.

member for 10.1 years, 2038 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jimdm See Profile

• Location: Muncy,Lycoming,PA
Good "Extremely fast speeds, good spam filtering, very few outages."
Bad "Price keeps going up, tech support is still just a waste of time."
Overall "Has been reliable and really has no competition in this area. "

Speed Package is Blast, 105/10.

Purchased own modem, Zoom 5341J.

If you want tech support or special deals, good luck.

Too bad Comcast Direct isn't an option anymore.

member for 13.5 years, 4681 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mlohr See Profile

• Location: Ellicott City,Howard,MD
Good "Fast Connection"
Bad "Slow upspeed and must run comcast install software"
Overall "Decent deal"

Had Problem with rain starting in January 2014 and after 3 calls comcast changed the wiring on the poles in May 2014. Service was solid for three weeks than in June after a loss of all service the twice daily outage morning and evenings began only on sunny days. During the outage signal level went up by 20 dB. Comcast came twice but could never observe the problem.

We had added TV and my wife lost a 20 minute section of a program and pushed for Fios. Read Fios review »Review of Verizon FiOS by mlohr

The internet had increased speed to 28 megabits down and 5 megabits up.

After seven years the service is still a good connection. Comcast also provides lots of free software and emails but I am staying with the Fios for webserver service for the time being.

Lastly I played with their personal web site but found it very slow serving the pages. It also only provides 25 Meg of space. It feels like a DSL server.

It is a good deal if you already have cableTV and don't need to run mail servers or web servers which are forbidden in the Comcast user service agreement and want a semi fixed IP..

Monthly caps have currently been suspended.

Speed has increased to a fairly reliable 20000/4000 kbps. IP has changed only three times over the term as long as you provide the same MAC address.

member for 13.4 years, 3755 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Os See Profile

• Location: Lewistown,Mifflin,PA
Good "Fast connection, good price, painless set-up."
Overall "I know many complain, but my experience was extremely positive."

I brought my modem and router to a new location with Comcast, and in an hour's time, set up service. Since I already had the necessary ethernet cables, and the wire from the wall in the apartment was from Comcast, I had my internet an hour after the call. I had to call a second number, give them my MAC address, serial number and modem model, and that was it.

Everything was very easy, and at least with my experience, speeds have been better than advertised and the process was very simple and painless. I didn't even need to leave the house.

Comments:

Review by jayelham See Profile

• Location: East Lansing,Ingham,MI
Good "Doccis3 speed,"
Bad "sharing with neighbors, Cap gone (for now)"
Overall "overall good value"

Great speed (even better with recent upgrades) ... Love the speed, hate the price, but if ya wanna play, ya gotta pay.

CAUTION!! They try to "steal" (by saying its rented) your customer owned equipment sometimes, keep reciepts and boxs for your equipment.

Comments:

Review by Big A See Profile

• Location: Lombard,Du Page,IL
Good "I negotiate for a better price and they have always given one I'm happy with."
Bad "Some Reps Could Be Better Informed"
Overall "Works For Me"

Support is in need of support themselves. Seems the number one solution to everything is unplug everything, wait 10 minutes and hook everything back up again. Of course that does not always work. It my case it never worked.

My installation experience was horrible. The first (note I said first) installation tech threw the installation together so fast and literally flew out of here. I found out why he was in such a hurry to get out of here later on. When I finally sat down to access my nice new high speed Internet service I found the modem was not working. The installer didn't bother to check the line to see if it was functioning properly.

Two days later another installation tech came out who was nice enough and seemed to be concerned with the problem. Fooled around tightening connections, rearranging cables and stated all was well. That connection lasted for 20 minutes after he left.

The next day the real installation tech arrived. A Comcast employee. He knew at once what the problem was. Seems the splitter I had initially been given was old and no good. I never would have achieved a stable connection using that no matter what anyone did. All he did was give me a new splitter and I've been on my way ever since.

It truly depends on who rings your bell to install your service how well the job will be done. If it's contract employee, look out!

12/16/05 - I signed up for Digital Voice. The price is high for VOIP compared to the prices I've seen for some of the other VOIP services. If you are a subscriber to both Comcast HSI and Cable Television you get the cheapest price. For my area that's $39.95 (before taxes, fees or charges for extras you may want like, Non Published Listing). The total amount of my taxes are $6.20. Fees and extras is $2.94 making the total bill $49.09 per month.

So far, the service works well and I must say this installation experience was excellent.

08/18/2014 - Well a lot has changed since my initial review 10 years ago and some things have not such as customer support. It still sucks IMO. The one good thing about customer support today vs 10 years ago is a lot of things are self support. I guess that's not so good for someone who may be a bit challenged by self install kits and such. Works for me. I'd rather do stuff myself when needed. Service calls are made within 1 to 3 days. We had some sort of partial outage last week where you could not access certain websites BBR being one of them for several hours. That is rare can't remember when that happened. Other than that I'd say disruptions in service or few and not often that the entire system is down. It will be one of the services while the others still work and does not last long. Fixed within minutes rarely hours and I don't remember ever having days without service at least not in my area.

One big change I think is price structure. 10 years ago there was no bundling. At the time of my previous reviews all products were offered at seperate prices. There was Cable TV then HSI and finally VOIP. After the offering of VOIP bundling of services was offered and was less expensive if you desired to have at least two of their services. Having all three gets you the best bang for your buck. There are still old fogies like myself who desire a in home phone so this fits the bill for me.

I'm always on some sort of reduced price special so I never pay the whole package price for my selected package. I negotiate a deal with the retention department for what results in a lower rate than any advertised or that are shown. Deals are usually for 12 months and at the end of the deal I call and ask at once to speak to the retention department. Only this department can do this so DON'T talk to regular customer service. If they can't keep me at or below the price I had I will go to a competitor. Have not had to do that yet.

Right now I have what's called the HD Premier Xf Triple Play Bundle which is Cable TV, HSI and VOIP. This package gives you 260+ HD channels with ON Demand, Xfinity online movies and TV, 1 free DVR and of course email accounts along with some sort of Constant Guard Protection Suite with Norton which I don't use. HSI (105mbps) with WiFi and free nationwide hotspots. VOIP nationwide calling with text messaging, caller ID bla bla bla. The listed price for this package is $244.38 which includes fees. I pay $198.87 for this package out the door with my discount which is $20.00 cheaper than what I paid last year for exactly what I had before. I'm happy.

Comments:

Review by RightHere2 See Profile

• Location: Sammamish,King,WA
Good "Fast, reliable connection"
Bad "Customer service, have to re-negotiate for deals every yr"
Overall "I'd probably still stay with Comcast even if there were other High Speed options"

I've got BLAST! service from them (HSI only, no TV). I've found Comcast to be far more reliable than the previous provider I had (Broadstripe), in addition to offering significantly faster upload/download speeds. I believe I've had their service for roughly 4yrs now. In that time, I can recall maybe 2 small periods of time where I was without service, and I think once where I lost service for more than a day.

I don't like that I have to call up every 6-12m when my current discount ends to find out if there's another one that applies to me. I'd much rather see them lower rates across the board, and not make me have to do this. But in the end, I pay what I feel is a reasonable amount for the quality of service they provide.

member for 11.7 years, 508 visits, last login: a few hours ago