Review by Chuck22 See Profile

• Location: Salt Lake City,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Faster than dialup. Generally do have a connection."
Bad "Support services could be much better."
Overall "Is adequate--better than dialup. (I have no other options--no DSL)"

Comcast is okay. Obviously better than dialup. At my location I have either cable or dialup options. (Neighbors three blocks away can get DSL, but I cannot.) I do considerable research online thus dialup is really not an option. Generally my download speeds are very good. Upload is slow (but my needs are not too great). The few times I needed assistance, I found the Comcast Help Forums to be better help than using Comcast email, chat, or telephone assistance.

Update: Service occasionally down, but when calling support, nobody knows about any outage in "my area". Only service suggestions given so far were to shut down, then reboot (modem first, then pc); to wait an hour or two and see if service is restored; and (this one takes the cake!) use a dial-up service until cable comes back on! (My feelings about Comcast are not as good as when I initially wrote this review.)

Update: Service considerably more stable, reliable and generally better. Have nothing to complain about. (But faster uploads would be nice...)

Update(2): Had connection problems, Comcast finally sent out tech rep who found modem was intermittent (6 years old and dying). Replaced modem. New modem increased upload speed almost 6X. Hooray for Comcast!

Update(3): Still with Comcast, service here remains good. Rarely any outage. Both download and upload speeds have increased. No complaints!

Update(4): Comcast still working for me, and still the best in my area. Probably will stay with them until something better comes along.

Update(5): Still with Comcast. Is faster than the alternative (DSL). Unfortunately, has a few short outages per month. Still waiting for something better to come along. After about eight years, Comcast actually increased the "guaranteed for life" monthly internet price -- by not much, but I would think that "life" would be more than 8 years...

Update(6): Comcast cable is the fastest service available in my immediate area, so I'm still sticking with them. Adequate service for my needs.

Update(7): Still with Comcast as it is the only option in my immediate area which has any decent speed whatsover. If something else suitable was available, I would definitely check it out, but for now Comcast seems to be best choice here. Fairly good service and somewhat dependable as well. Still works for me.

Update(8): Since Comcast is my only option (and, more or less, it works for me) other than slower and less reliable (so I'm told) DSL, I'll stay with Comcast. Now if they would offer a more reliable modem...

Update(9): Yep, still with Comcast, but much happier now. Upgraded my internet connection speed. Now about 5 times faster for BOTH download and upload. Noticeably different now.

member for 11.3 years, 4064 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Bachinator See Profile

• Location: Flint,Genesee,MI
Good "Reliable"
Bad "I avoid talking to technical support"
Overall "Good value for the money"

Original install in year 2000. Have updated the cable modem twice. Originally a DOCSIS 1. Upgraded to a Surfboard 5120 DOCSIS 2 in 2007, then upgraded to a Cisco DPC3008 DOCSIS 3.0 in July 2014 when a nearby lightning strike took out the 5120. The DPC3008 has been reliable so far, but as it seemed to be running a bit hot I stood it up on end and now it is running cooler.

Downstream power levels have ranged from +5dB to +12dB with S/R around 42dB; upstream from +34dB to +38dB.

Theoretical 250GB cap is not being enforced by Comcast at this time.

I have the 25/5 "Performance" tier, and speed tests confirm that I get slightly better than the tiered speed. Service outages over the 14 years have been rare.

Comments:

Review by Rjh8115 See Profile

• Location: Canton,Wayne,MI
Good "Much lower price and more speed/channels than WOW"
Bad "X1 DVR is not quite as good as Ultra TV"
Overall "I'll take the price break for 24 months"

We have been WOW customers ever since they moved into the SE Michigan market (13+ years). We were always one of the first to subscribe to their new technology or services. Over the past few years, the price has continued to increase (about $250/month by this year). Over the past 12 months or so, the internet and cable quality have decreased and stations were removed. The final straw was the loss of BBC America on Jan 1st.

Checked out Comcast Xfinity X1 service and signed up for a double-play (TV and internet) at the 140 channel level with Showtime, Starz/Encore, and HBO and 50/5 internet with a DVR and 3 additional boxes (around $170/mo for 24 months). During installation, the local salesperson stopped by to check on the process and to offer a new deal - triple play (TV/Internet/Home). We went to the top-tier TV (220 + sports, and all premium), internet (105/20), and security system (300) for $160/mo for 24 months.

The Home install took a few hours (free installation), but was completed properly. We also asked for a second DVR so we could pause live TV on a second TV (major fault with X1 - WOW's Ultra TV allows all TVs full DVR functions).

So far we are pretty pleased with the entire setup. The X1 system has a much bigger catalogue of on-demand titles and a more intuitive interface than Ultra TV. However, they really need to look at enabling full DVR functionality to all TVs.

We'll see how we do over the next 24 months . . .

Comments:

Review by LoPhatPhuud See Profile

• Location: Albuquerque,Bernalillo,NM
Good "Fast and reliable"
Bad "Only one - no limited dialup for backup just in case"
Overall "Good value for the money"

May 5, 2004

No problems since install in November. Up time as good or better than Qest DSL. Speed consistently high. Price is comparable to Qwest's lowered prices. All in all, extremely satisfied.

January 28, 2005
Now at 4000/384 with excellent connection. Uptime is over 99%. Only two short interruption since installation and those were fixed within 4 hours.

October 20, 2005
I went for the High Priced Spread and have 8000/768. I regularly get those speeds and have no complaints. THere were DNS Issues in the past, but I have alternatives ready to use so it is not an issue. There hads been no down time here since the last report.

Still a bit pricey, but so is their cable (I ahve two HDTV's both on the cable). Hopefully as fiber makes it way to homes, the competition will force the prices down a little.

October 27, 2007
Still with Comcast and the service is the same as in October 2005. Excellent speed, and reliability.

May 15, 2008
Now on 8mb with Powerboost. Service has been excellent since the last review with no interruptions. Well worth the money. ($52.95/mo)

December 18, 2008
No changes since the May update. Only one outage since then and that was for less than 2 hours. No recent DNS issues. There were a few early in the year but none since.

July 18, 2009
Went to a Triple Play package to get the phone and DVR. As a part of the package I am now on a 16/2 connection. Service is excellent with very few interrupts or slowdowns.

January 8, 2014
Still on triple play. Comcast has increased speeds since last review and I currently get 50/10. Extremely few interruptions. Total time down in last 5 years is less than 6 hours.

Now on an Arris TG862G Docsis 3.0 emta/modem/router. No issues for me with this unit and wireless is excellent anywhere in my apartment. No need to go to bridge mode at this time.

January 30, 2015
Still on TriplePlay 50/10. One interruption this year lasting just over 2 hours. I have no issues with the service.

member for 13.2 years, 5125 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by why60loss See Profile

• Location: Madison Heights,Amherst,VA
Good "Free install, really fast speeds. Blast speed bump now free, hasn't stopped working yet. Now getting 120/11.5"
Bad "Took 6 months before I got the speeds as listed on the web"
Overall "Fiber would be better, but blows all other cable out of the water"

They did a really hard install for free, took over 5 hours but they didn't quit nor slow down. I was impressed that they still did it for free. They had to run 1000+ foot of new cable, drill holes in the walls because the home never had cable. Had to snake cable though the basement and more. This was a home far out in the sticks out side the city limits.

No useage caps at this time, cheep high speed internet. Upload speeds that blow my mind, far better than Time warner cable.

Never had had an outage or an issue that needed tech support, this is how TV/Internet should be like. Works when you need it every time and doesn't feel like it holds you back.

Only had it for a month and a few weeks. So may update later.

Update:

They jacked the bill by 20 dollars a month and I haven't gotten anymore than 35/6.5 over the past few months on the blast tier. Was told by tech support that 20mbs to 50mbs download and 5mbs to 10mbs was with in spec for blast. I think it's stupid that they think it's okay for the speed to drop to 25mbs download where the next lowest tier sits.

Downsteam power levels range from -11 to -13dbm and upsteam from 50 to 52dbm. A tech should come over in the next few days to look at it.

Update2:

The cable plant in the area is to old to support 50/10 and the bandwith is just not there. Now the blast speed bump is free and 6 months of HBO was also thrown in. Bill is more like 120 a month now.

Power levels are better now, downstream power levels range from -8 to -10dbm and upstream from 48 to 49dbm. Also the line on the power poles leading to the house is getting replaced.

36/6 for the same cost as 25/5 is not bad, so even though it is disappointing I guess this being a out in the sticks area this is not bad. Time warner cable was 140 a month and I only got 30/5 speed at most.

Update3: 4/3/2014

It's been two weeks and the power levels seem to be at -10dbm to even -11dbm most of the time. Still only getting a max of 36/6.5 with drops in speed below that at random times.

[IMG]»stage.results.speedtest.comcast. ··· ng[/IMG]

The web site says blast now should be 105/10, now I am only getting 1/3 of the right download speed at any time of the day. Really kind of disappointing, though its not nearly as bad as getting 1/3 of 15mbs download like I had at time warner cable.

They tried to bill 40 dollars for the tech visit, that's really low. At lest they removed it with out debate unlike one other cable ISP I know that thinks 60% packet loss and 100 dollars for a tech visit is "just cable".

At lest there hasn't been an outage so they still keep full points for that.

Update 4: 6/20/2014

The web page still list 105 for blast yet only getting 36mbs download at best and the upload is still 6.5mbs.

Tech support really seems to have no idea what is what like out of 5 or so:

1) One told me that blast is 50mbs

2) One other one said blast is 10 to 105mbs download.

3) One said that blast is 25/4 and extreme is 105

4) Then one said that blast is 35mbs

5) Then one said it's 50mbs

Speed test: [IMG]»stage.results.speedtest.comcast. ··· ng[/IMG]

Screen shot of blast listing:
[URL=http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/Valveistrash/media/comcast/Comcastspeeds_zpsc041d8b5.jpg.html][IMG]»i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a54 ··· G][/URL]

Got a new modem at the Comcast office in a near by city, was told I would get what I get when I asked for a 8x4 channel modem. I did end up getting a new 8x4 modem but that was kind of rude. Power levels are better now after doing that, I think the old modem was cutting it too close with -14 dbm on the down streams.

Still good speeds for the money VS time warner cable and still a non enforced cap with good pricing. Well and blast is free so that helps.

Update 5: Netcool said the head end was the bottle neck and that it would be upgraded on the 25th. Rebooted the modem at 2am and bam: »www.speedtest.net/result/3584548 ··· 8798.png

I get around 100mbs down and 11.5mbs up on wifi. Very impressed so far. Ran a hardwire test get 120 down and 11.5 up.

I am sure if I do a hardwire test it will pass 100mbs, but even if now this is the bomb. Really don't think I need any faster for now. It's just insane internet speed for me, never had a 100mbs down connection before with almost 12mbs upload. Edit: It did 120 on hardwire, so I was right thinking the Wi-Fi was the bottle neck.

Update 5: Speedtest over hardwire read about 130/12 or so. Wifi is about 100/12, it is really good internet service. Nothing much else to report. The cap is still non enforced, so I updated usage caps to unlimited.

member for 2.5 years, 472 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

BUTTCHEEKS

@144.160.226.x

Comcast in Wake Forest?

You have Comcast in Wake Forest?

why60loss
join:2012-09-20

Re: Comcast in Wake Forest?

sorry about that mistake. I input the wrong zip code due to being so used to being in wake forest. I wish I had Comcast when I lived in wake forest. It would have likely saved me from thinking steam is a scam and that the internet was still in pre-beta.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Downstream power is a bit low

Your downstream power is a bit low. They might need to install a broadband cable amp. Similar this this one.

»www.amazon.com/Motorola-Signal-B ··· Booster-

Here is a quick guide to let you know what are consider good cable modem signal strengths.

Downstream Power (-15dbmV to +15dbmV)
Most modems are rated from -15dB to +15dB,

--->>> "however it's best to have it between +8dB and -8dB. Anything less or more than that and you may have quality issues. You can remove splitters on the line if you need to raise and clean up your signal level a bit."

Upstream Power (37dbmV to 55dbmV)
The lower this number is, the better. Above 55dB will most probably cause problems, over 57dB and you probably won't be able to connect.

Signal/Noise Ratio (>30dB)
SNR is best over 30, (the higher the better, might work well with as low as 25 at times). Anything less than 25 will cause dropped connections, packet loss, slow transfers, etc.

»www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php? ··· p?qid=78

Babst

@50.172.223.x

No show for set-up

Comcast was scheduled to set up Internet and cable tv. When they didn't show up as promised, I called the toll free number, was connected to someone I could not understand and was disconnected. Called another toll free number and was on hold for 45 minutes only to be told that a serviceman did arrive at 1:21 pm but nobody was home. What a lie! There were six of us waiting for them. They claimed they knocked on a building with a brown door, (ours is gray) and nobody answered! They also had the wrong phone number and didn't even try to obtain the correct number. Unfortunately they're the only service in this area so we are at their mercy:(

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon Online DSL

Your local cable plant...

I am wondering where the upgrades need to be done. I checked FCC COALS to look up the Comcast system in your county, and it is a 750mhz system with an avg of about 100 people per node. Thats more than enough bandwidth to handle 50mbit Blast.

The problem must be up at the head end....interesting.

Keep us updated.

why60loss
join:2012-09-20

Re: Your local cable plant...

said by Zenit:

The problem must be up at the head end....interesting.

Keep us updated.

Yes I was told by the user netcool that the head end was going to be upgraded on the 25th and it was. Modem reboot and boom 95/11.5

Review by ScottJr See Profile

• Location: Charles Town,Jefferson,WV
Good "Much faster than Frontier"
Bad "Cable Price hikes"
Overall "No FiOS coming, this is the best bet in the area."

The decision to switch from Frontier phone and Dish Network was easy. I was paying $180 per month for those services together. Now with Comcast, I am paying $85 total. It will be $99 after 6 months. Still a huge difference.

Ordering was easy enough. I called Comcast and placed my order. The only problem is that they tried on three different occasions to sell me voice when it was clear that their VoIP was not available in my area. Their system always says it is available then after further review, it is not really here.

Install went smooth. The cable technician activated all of my inside connections and it has not caused any problems with signal strength. After the install, I have had to call Comcast out out two times. The first time, the repair tech changed out a small connector that said was bad. After that, the signal was constant. The next outage was a neighborhood issue causing the signal to drop for a second at a time over and over. Once resolved, my speeds and service have been great. I ordered the 12.0/2.0 package and those speeds seem to be achieved almost all the time.

I was also happy to see that Comcast has ESPN3. I was afraid that I would lose it when I dropped Frontier.

Update 1/12/15: Speeds are now 95/20. I am paying more for this package, but the internet is really fast. I may drop the cable and go internet only when Dis launches SlingTV.

member for 13.4 years, 3758 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by davidknell See Profile

• Location: Breckenridge,Summit,CO
Good "Speed, reliability"
Bad "Dealing with Comcast"
Overall "Internet service works just fine; Comcast are a bit of a nightmare."

We ordered a $29.99/month internet-only service from Comcast and opted for a self-install. We provided our own modem. Things didn't go too well to start with:

(a) we were told we had to pick up a self-install kit from a location 15 miles away. One 30 mile round-trip later, we had the kit which contained a modem, which we already had and which they knew we already had;

(b) couldn't get it to work. An engineer was supposed to visit, didn't, three calls elicited three promises of a call back but no actual calls to let us know what was going on;

(c) another engineer came out - promised no charge if the problem was outside our house, would be charged if the problem was inside. The problem turned out to be with the cabling at their box at the bottom of the garden;

(d) $99 charge for the engineer's visit, reduced by 50% for no apparent reason on our bill and then waived as the problem was outside our house, but not after I'd wasted an hour on the phone.

Once the service was up and running, it was fine and has been fine for the three months since.

Comments:

Review by dayfour18 See Profile

• Location: Wheaton,Du Page,IL
Good "Very happy with X1 and Blast 50M"

Ordered Xfinity X1 triple-play after years on AT&T DSL and DirecTV. 'Upgraded' from DSL to AT&T Uverse Internet and voice, but was very unhappy with unreliable voice whenever I made changes to advanced gateway settings. I had heard a lot of good things about recent Comcast from friends and co-workers, so decided to pull the trigger while still within the 30-day AT&T no-penalty cancellation period. Promo pricing, and each of the later jumps are all in-line with what AT&T would have been, with 6 times the Internet bandwidth, and no satellite reception issues in bad weather. Seemed like the right jump to make.

Have the HD Preferred package, Voice, and 50/10 Blast Internet. Install went very smoothly after an AT&T number port delay. Installer was on time and took about 2.5 hours for a 3-TV, voice, and Internet setup including a new outside drop. X1 has been solid and have not had any of the issues that have seen some complain of. Picture is crystal clear, seemingly better than DirecTV had been, but I know that can't be the case. Have had no delays with pulling up guide, switching channels, or watching from DVR or On-Demand. On wired network get a consistent 60Mbps down and 12Mbps up, so better than advertised speed at this point. Night and Day difference from AT&T. Yes the Cisco XB3 gateway is kind of huge, but seems MUCH more solid than the Pace unit supplied for AT&T Uverse. I hate to say it, but the Xfinity service, including voice, is what AT&T should be. I never thought I'd make the Comcast swtich, but so far have been VERY happy with the service and performance.

Comments:

Review by MTBikerChris See Profile

• Location: Broomfield,Broomfield,CO
Good "Great speed even better Now 180/20"
Bad "nill"
Overall "Loving the speed upgrade we got this Xmas 2015 ."

Review Update 1-7-15

Since my last review my speed has gone up many times and now sitting at 180/20 Loving it Thanks comcast !

Review Update 8-13-13

Since we got the upgrade a few months ago i have been very happy with what i have ! The Service has been rock solid ,Never any down time !

Review Update 5-15-12

Moved back to old Apt and the speed is way faster with 30/4 and loving it.
Comcast has been awesome for all these year's !!

Review Update 12-02-10
I Moved and now have even more Speed vs just blast and Loving it.. Comcast HSI has been awesome for all these years.

Review update 10-5-2009
Well The Service has been great. It took alittle longer for us here in Broomfield to get the new speeds that Denver got back in early Sept. i am now getting what i had on blast for 20 bucks less. Thanks Comcast.

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::
Download Connection is:: 23173 Kbps about 23.17 Mbps (tested with 25600 kB)
Download Speed is:: 2829 kB/s
Upload Connection is:: 9281 Kbps about 9.3 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 1133 kB/s
Tested From:: »testmy.net (Main)
Test Time:: 2009/10/06 - 11:37am
D-Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-OAF9E74WL
U-Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-IHOLV1DKP
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) [!]

Review update 3-2-2009

The service for the most part has been great. As of dec 24 2008 CC has blast here in Colorado but went back and forth with them to get it . My speeds have been 17mps up to 22 down/2.5 to 3mps up and been loving it . Now i can watch tv shows online and the play like they should.

Review update 8-10-2008

My HSI still is working great.as of may i dropped down to the 6000/512 package but Comcast has now upgraded us to 6000/1000 as of june so thanks Comcast..

I have to say that i have the 8000/768 deal from Comcast and it sure rocks.I use to have Roadrunner in Houston and if i wanted this speed i had to pay out of the you know what to get 8000/512 . This deal is for 29.99 for 6 months and it go's to 52.99 after that.I have to say that i am very happy that i got it.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Download Connection is:: 11107 Kbps about 11.1 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)
Download Speed is:: 1356 kB/s
Tested From:: »testmy.net/ (Server 1)
Test Time:: 2006/10/23 - 7:08am
Bottom Line:: 194X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.76 sec
Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 8.968 seconds to complete
Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 101.32 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)

Still loving it

Comments:

Review by hortnut See Profile

• Location: PNW
Good "Speed is consistent. Decent service"
Bad "Price keeps increasing"
Overall "It works as advertised."

Patience is the best tool.

1-4-2015
Now is the time to get out the Shaver.

member for 9.5 years, 3493 visits, last login: a few hours ago