Review by Robyn See Profile

• Location: Ponte Vedra Beach,Saint Johns,FL
Good "Excellent TV/HSI/Voice"
Bad "Bad wireless range with Gateway. Isn't cheap."
Overall "I Like It"

I've been a Comcast customer for a very long time with TV (decade +). Added HSI about 3-4 years ago (switched from AT&T DSL). Added voice a little over a year ago (switched from AT&T). Overall - I really couldn't be happier with these services almost all of the time (especially considering the dismal level of our DSL and even our AT&T landline when we gave them up). Are there occasional problems? Yes. Are they sometimes a PITA to solve? Yes. Overall really good.

With one exception. If you're looking for great wireless coverage in your house - you're probably not going to get it with a Comcast Gateway device. And will have to come up with another solution.

Note that this service isn't cheap. OTOH - my service is for 105/20 internet service - tons of TV stations on 6 TVs - and a phone line with lots of features. I'm not complaining.

Comments:

Review by orson39 See Profile

• Location: Chico,Butte,CA
Good "Crazy fast!"
Bad "None!"
Overall "Actually very happy"

Going into our 5th year of triple play. Internet, voice and HDTV with DVR including HBO and Starz ! They just bumped our speed up to 105 mbps! Customer service has been amazing. Truly. We couldn't be happier!

»www.speedtest.net/result/4031020866.png

Comments:

Review by KayakinMike See Profile

• Location: Alameda,Alameda,CA
Good "Actually faster than advertised speeds"
Bad "Download speeds inconsistent"
Overall "Faster than old provider for same price"

·VOIPO
Happy with my service.

Comments:

Review by MNickerson See Profile

• Location: Hayward,Alameda,CA
Good "Been a solid connection with only 1 outage in the past year"
Bad "Speed changes erratically 5M+ on minute 1M the next. Throws this tantrum about 1x or 2x a month."
Overall "Works in my case, its here to stay for now. $ to $ it's one of the better values"

Well once you finally get them to install a clean line if you need it.

If you have Issues Customer Service is PATHETIC [**STILL IS BAD**]

Own my own router, cost of the Comcast ones are ridiculous nowadays

**UPDATE**
As of JUNE 2014, the information has changed minimally. I tried a few other plans but in my area I am limited realistically

Comments:

Review by Lou_n_Di See Profile

• Location: Seymour,New Haven,CT
Good "reasonable price for 25Mbs-Excellent Tech installation"
Bad "none YET"
Overall "Everything is working fine!"

·AT&T DSL Service
02/17/2014
New installation this afternoon---25Mbs Performance Tier---$29.99 for 12 months then $53.99/month.
Tech installed(I'm lazy) with a CICSO DPC 3939 Wireless Voice Gateway.Tech ran a new line from the pole to the house(replaced the 30 year old wiring)replaced the exposed cable in the house(short run from outside to a new spliter in the garage) New box and hardware in the computer room.He setup everything from wireless to email.Worked quickly and neatly. Showed me speed and line tests results....Was happy to answer ALL of my silly questions.
Adjusted RWIN to 300000- Speed test (speedtest.net) shows 28Mbs DWN 6Mbs UP.
Everything is working perfectly...Nice change from the 1.5Mbs DSL
03/02/14
Two weeks of great service- No issues with email and no service interruptions with excellent speeds that continually measures 28 to 33 DWN and over 5Mbs UP with the 2.4 GHz WiFi network yielding 20 DWN and 5 UP with NO range issues within the house. (Presently there's nothing home that can access the 5GHz network)
Excellent PING numbers and NO packet loss issues. REAL nice change from my old DSL service.
03/16/14
upgraded the WLAN card on the laptop---can now access the 5GHz network--download speeds measure 22-24Mbs with upload at 5 to 6.
Life is good!
12/22/14
Almost a year of GREAT service.....NO issues with service interruptions,no issues with email, have yet to see a xfinitywifi hotspot pop-up on the router, excellent speeds. I have noticed that the range of the 5GHz WiFi is much less than the 2.4 GHz. I see this when I'm at the far end of the house. Other than that all is well!

Comments:

Noodles

@comcast.net

Watch out for the wifi

I've read online some people are saying that comcasts new wifi routers now have two networks. One for you personally, and one public wifi that anyone can use. It does pull on your overall bandwidth and cause you to go over you 300 gig bandwidth cap. I would check to see if any new wireless networks have popped up and see if you got hit with one, and if so disable it.

Lou_n_Di
Everyone Needs A Hero
join:2001-01-18
Seymour, CT

Re: Watch out for the wifi

No SSID xfinitywifi hotspot noted-Thanks for the heads up!

Review by g0nepostal See Profile

• Location: Burlingame,San Mateo,CA
Good "Phemonenal speed, reliable service"
Bad "Nothing so far, haven't hit any invisible caps yet"
Overall "Happy with the service, far more than I was with U-Verse"

·magicjack.com
12/15/2014 UPDATE: After logging into my account through Comcast's customer service website, I found out that Comcast's monthly cap is 250GB, but apparently it is currently NOT being enforced. YMMV. Also, as noted, you CAN call Comcast tech support to request that your cable modem be placed in Bridge mode, but from what I've read this takes a bit of persistence, not to mention patience. I'd rather stick to using a DMZ.

4.5/5. I'm still happy with the service, 2 months in.

------------------------

Cut the cord from ATT U-Verse to go with Comcast for HSI and Dish for TV. Signed up for 50 down / 5 up HSI service for $39.99 a month for 12 months, with no contract (regular rate is $69/month). Ordered online and the technician came to install the service 4 days later.

Since our house already had a prior Comcast cable drop, all the tech had to do was run new coax from the old drop connection to our den where the cable modem was going to be set up. I had already purchased my own modem, so all that was required was for him to activate the modem and make sure that we had good signal. Once that was done the install was complete and we were online.

Been online now for about 2 months and haven't had a single service outage. Unfortunately Comcast does not appear to allow cable modems to work in bridge mode, so to get around this I set up a DMZ and assigned our edge router to it. Also, apparently Comcast wants to turn all of the WiFI capable modems on its network to free hotspots for its customers (there is a lot of information on this here on DSLR), but this apparently will only apply to rented modems, not customer-owned equipment. Hence I would recommend buying your own modem and saving yourself both having to share the connection with strangers and having to pay Comcast a modem rental fee (I bought a refurbished Motorola SBG6580 on Amazon for $90. Much better than leasing.).

Other than the above, Comcast HSI has been excellent. I am happy with the service and the price is not bad at all. So far I haven't hit any sort of download cap, even with all of the video streaming my wife and I do; I am presuming that the monthly invisible DL cap is somewhere around 250-300GB, which is actually not bad.

I haven't had to use tech support yet (it helps that I know what I am doing), so I can't really rate it. That said, since the install coordination was excellent and since the tech knew what he was doing while setting up the connection I am going to rate tech support a 5.

Comcast HSI gets a 4.5/5 in my book. The 0.5 point deduction is due to the famed invisible DL cap and for forcing users to run a DMZed edge router to get around not being able to bridge the connection. Otherwise, I'm quite happy.

gp

Comments:

Clark Kent

join:2014-07-31
Detroit, MI

Bridge mode is allowed.

Comcast does allow customers to place there gateways in bridge mode. Some can be done from the user interface others require a call or chat to a comcast rep and they can place it in bridge mode from there end.

g0nepostal
I Am The One Her Mom Warned Her About

join:2001-03-23
Burlingame, CA
·magicjack.com

Re: Bridge mode is allowed.

So I've read, but you apparently have to go through the gauntlet of Tier I and Tier II tech support to reach someone who can send the command down the wire to your modem to enable bridge mode, if you can't turn bridge mode on yourself using the modem's configuration pages. No thanks. DMZing the edge router is much easier.

Review by MysterHide See Profile

• Location: Bremerton,Kitsap,WA
Good "Low Pings, Speedy, Fast Install"
Bad "Random disconnects, slow during peak, awful customer service"
Overall "Most reliable in town"

49.99 Internet Plus w/Blast + Local TV + HBO & StreamPix
Fast order, easy install. Tech showed up early.

Comments:

Review by fabiohiga See Profile

• Location: Schaumburg,Cook,IL
Good "Very stable, very fast service, latest DOCSIS 3.0"
Bad "Expensive, throttling hurts, bandwidth caps"
Overall "Much better than DSL in terms of speed for price."

Using the Ultra 22/5 with a Motorola SB6120, service is highly reliable, no resets, modem uptimes longer than I can remember, blazing fast downloads.

Throttling (network management practices) are dicey at best. Downloads get slow, if you download too much. What if I'm watching online TV, downloading an .iso image for a demo game?

Update 4/3: Had the Ultra 22/5 service since mid September 2009. My signal quality has been excellent through the entire winter (downstream channels at 37dB, few uncorrectable errored codewords). Have had a couple firmware updates to the SB6120 ever since, and everything has been smooth. Powerboost speeds go up to 34Mbps down (tested this through my Wireless-N network), and uplink is around 10Mbps, also with the speed boost.

Update 12/21/2010: I don't think I can remember when was the last time I've had an outage. Service is rock solid reliable, 35Mbps down/10Mbps up, except for the sporadic Comcast DNS outages (had a couple over the last year or so). Other than that, excellent line quality, and uptime. By using my SB6120, reliability is even better than with the older SB5100 and DOCSIS 2.0 service. Happy with Comcast so far.

Update 1/28/2011: Rock solid as usual, 35Mbps down/10Mbps up. Last outage was around November, due to a DNS server failure. Other than that, incredibly reliable, perfect signal levels. Even though I initially said that the bandwidth cap of 250GB a month is ridiculous, even after heavy Netflix streaming and downloads, my max usage has been 110GB ... Normal usage for me is around 40-50GB/month.

Update 8/7/2012: Network has been upgraded to 3 bonded upstream channels! I had high latency/packet losses a couple weeks ago, but those were corrected all of a sudden. I can get about 30Mbps down, and 10Mbps up.

Update 12/8/2014: I upgraded to a Motorola SB6183 with 16 channels downstream/4 channels upstream support along with upgrading my Blast 50/10 service to Extreme 105. My area can now actually receive 16 channels down/3 channels up. After doing a couple tests, I am getting 128Mb down and 24Mbup with 16x3. Service cost is now $114.95/month. Pretty satisfied.

Comments:

Review by crk2h See Profile

• Location: Murfreesboro,Rutherford,TN
Good "New X1 guide is pretty nice. Has a great picture quality."
Bad "None so far"
Overall "I am loving the fast download speeds!"

·LightTUBe
Update 12/7/2014
So far still happy with my service. I have had no issues with service or speeds even during peak times. Also, billing has actually been consistent. I have not had any issues with my X1 boxes locking up or freezing. I am not sure if the Cable plant for our area is just that awesome or if I am in area with newer equipment. Either way I will take it! Speedtests listed below are actually over wireless as well.

Update 5/21/2014
Installer came to setup and did a great job. Very courteous. Speeds so far are as advertised got 120 Mbps down and 22 Mbps up.

Update 5/17/2014

I am moving back to Murfreesboro. Signed up and scored a 2 year deal of 105 Mbps package with the 230+ Channel Package including HBO and Showtime and phone service for $129 a month. I will update once I get the service installed.

Update 3/14/2012

Still happy with my service Very Fast Internet!

Update 10/27/2011

Dropped triple play and now have internet and cable for $95 a month. (Digital Preferred + Showtime+ Blast Internet) I also have 1 hd box, 1 hd-dvr, and 2 dta boxes and was told my bill would run $95 for 12 months!!

Update 10/13/2011

Still having no problems with my service. Added Sports Pack, HBO and Showtime so now my bill is running around $160 a month for phone, internet, cable (HD Box, HD DVR and 2 DTA boxes) Internet speeds remain consistent always get around 25 Mbps down and 4 Mbps up. I think that the service has gone out maybe once since I have been back with them. I can't wait for the new set top box interface to come out whenever that might be. The beta looked really cool from the screenshots that I saw.

**Update**So far so good with Xfinity aka Comcast. I must say that the HD picture quality has improved tremendously here in Middle TN since last time I had Comcast. (I guess since they went all digital they don't have to compress as much or maybe a different type of compression is being used now) I am constantly getting speeds above 16 Mbps even during peak times. I did the $99 triple play and added an HD DVR and an HD box and bill runs around $140 a month for the 1st 12 months at least.

Comments:

Review by technik0 See Profile

• Location: Evanston,Cook,IL
Good "Fast speeds and acceptable reliability"
Bad "Can't think of any at the moment"
Overall "Pretty good overall"

·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
Had service for a month now which feels like a reasonable amount of time to get an idea of the quality of service. Purely internet. No TV or phone. In my area, it seems Comcast is well regarded and recommended. The Evanston, IL reddit had numerous people saying it was the best option so I decided to try it myself.

Visited a service center to get set up. Process in store was fairly easy and was handed a modem there & then as previous tenant in my apartment had service so everything was ready to go. Took it home but couldn't find anywhere to hook it up. Turns out last occupant sliced cable off the wall. Thanks bro!

Called Comcast up (Sunday evening) and explained. They arranged for a technician to come on Tuesday as the Monday was Labor Day. Quick turnaround...I was expecting a longer wait. Tech arrived in the afternoon on the Tuesday and only needed a few minutes to sort out the cable. Person on the call was helpful.

Once all plugged in the modem took a while to get a connection. I was on the phone with Comcast to "activate" and they said the modem would do that as it would be downloading updates. After about 20 minutes all was working. Person on the phone was again pleasant and helpful and stayed on until they were sure all was working right.

So far one month in I've had 2 or 3 momentary drops and re-syncs of the signal. One outage during the middle of the night for about 3 hours. This seemed to be a problem in my area as the Comcast site mentioned reports during the event.

Speeds, as far as I'm aware should be 50Mbit down and 10Mbit up. Every test I do comes in about 60Mbit down and 12Mbit up so it appears to be faster than advertised. I play a lot of online PC games and stream netflix. Pings to local Chicagoland servers are usually 15ms. To East Coast servers usually 25-35ms. Netflix streaming has been reliable with no buffering.

Online tracker mentions 250GB allowance but it doesn't appear to be enforced at this time.

The modem (Arris TG862G) appears to be a nice piece of kit. Reliably holds the connection. The wireless signal appears to be strong. I can still be connected on my phone when I'm over 100 metres from the apartment.

Overall quite satisfied.

Edit: About 3 months in now. Still running nicely with no complaints. Runs fast and reliable.