Review by tylersweb See Profile

• Location: Verona,Allegheny,PA
Good "Fast Internet, Every Channel Just About"
Bad "Modem Rental Fee, Contact Required, Slow X1 Guide"
Overall "Had Comcast for several years, never had any issues really"

I had switched from Fios Internet (150/75 at the time) and Dish back to Comcast as I had a great deal from a direct sales rep. I have the X1 Premier package which has just about every channel and all movie channels, 105 meg internet, and voice service. Standard pricing for this package is 159.99 for the first year and then I believe its like $230 or so for the second year. By going through a direct sales rep, I was able to get this package for $109.99 for the first year, and its $25 more per month for the second year, and comes with a $250 statement credit after 3 months. I also added on a HD DTA for my bedroom ($1.99) and the Modem/Gateway rental ($8.00) so my final bill each month is $130.

Install took about an hour as they needed to run a new line for my living room since I was still finishing up a basic contract with Dish, so I didn't want them to disconnect the dish line completely. The install tech was training a new guy, so for my sake, I had to keep my eye on two people...one inside the house and one outside. The install was pretty clean, he didn't vacuum up the drywall dust from drilling a hole and they left a 6 ft coax strand laying in the grass, but that's little things.

My X1 experience was very cool for the first week and then it started to get old as I became used to the system. I would continue to receive popup messages about not being subscribed to a package and to call xfinity to order, even though I could still watch the channels. I googled the message I got and it appears to have been due to the customer service person not putting the right codes on the account. There was also one time where I tried to watch a showtime on demand show and it said I wasn't subscribed to it. A simple 2 minute phone call took care of the issue.

Overall, after the initial bugs, everything has been great. Internet never goes down, speed tests show a consistent 125 meg down and about 11 or 12 meg up anytime during the day or night. I have the DPC3939 gateway/modem which I believe is the standard gateway for X1 (for now). My only complaint really is that the guide is sometimes very laggy when going into it, and scrolling through it. The remote control also isn't really that great compared to my Dish remote. My Dish remote I could point at my TV and turn the volume down by just holding the volume button. The X1 remote, it seems like I have to push the volume button a few times before the TV will recognize that im pushing it. It just seems like a basic cheap remote for a fancy dvr system. The HD DTA also has the same exact remote. Also with my voice service, they gave me the phone number of a Bar 2 miles down the road that went out of business, so I get about 6 calls a day from bill collectors, music service companies, etc. I really don't use the phone, so I just disconnected the phone line from the modem. I wish they had an option to let me use my own modem without EMTA to avoid the $8 dollar rental fee, even if I still kept the voice service on my account.

I've had Comcast off and on for the past 7 years (depending who has the better deals!) and I've never had any outage issues with TV or Internet.

member for 4.5 years, 74 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by MgA_ODEN See Profile

• Location: Spring,Harris,TX
Good "60/12 smokes my old ATT DSL"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Love the speed"

Switched over from a 6 Meg DSL line to Comcast Blast. So far so good.

member for 11.9 years, 2817 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by tlbaxter See Profile

• Location: USA
Bad "Comcast Screws Me Over"

I've had Comcast Internet for 4 months, since mid-June, 2014. For the first 3 months the service did not work as advertised. Connections were often not established. When the service "worked" performance was horrible. I called tech support probably 6 or 7 times and had three different technicians come out to my place to try to fix it. (Incidentally, the second technician was 2.5 hours late and forgot his equipment, but, to his credit, he gave me a $25 credit.) Finally, the third technician "fixed the problem" but this was after three months of pathetic service. I actually made an earlier post about this problem on DSLReports.

"What was the problem", you must be asking yourself?

Here it is: I was using one of the combination modem/router devices that Comcast recommended...a Motorola SBG6580, which is one of the devices on their "Approved DOCSIS 3.0 List" (silly me, what was I thinking?). It was my own brand new, fresh from Best Buy, out of the box device, *and* it was on Comcast's Approved DOCSIS 3.0 list. Actually, over the course of this three-month ordeal, I went through THREE different devices, all of them brand new, all of them on Comcast's Approved List for DOCSIS 3.0 and none of them working...supposedly. It kind of makes you think the problem is with the service, not the modem/router, right? I mean, three bad devices, all on the Comcast Approved List? How likely is that?

All three technicians who visited my apartment recommended against using these modem/router devices, in spite of the fact that Comcast recommended them (again, silly me). The third technician actually swapped out my device for a stand-alone modem and everything worked perfectly! This is how he "fixed" the problem -- by ditching the Comcast-approved device for a stand-alone modem.

Okay, fair enough. It all worked, I had some credits from Comcast for the previous poor service, and overall, I was happy enough. Everything finally worked.

Tonight (October 20th) I noticed a $60 charge on my bill for third technician’s visit to my apartment. I spoke to a customer service person (Tina) and she said I was being charged because there was a problem with *my* device, that I owned. It was not a Comcast device that I rented, so, naturally I had to be charged. Naturally.

I explained everything to Tina -- about the poor, nearly non-existent service for three months, three new modem/router devices, all of which were on Comcast’s recommended list, three technician visits, all of whom said, off the record, of course, not to use the Comcast "recommended" modem/router combination devices, the numerous call to technical support, and still she refused to remove the $60 credit.

It's a painful ordeal. I feel I did everything reasonable. I wasn't trying to cheat anyone. I spent three months with horrible service. My big mistake, apparently, was to follow the Comcast recommendations.

Tomorrow I will cancel this service from Comcast and go with the one other company that offers service here. The other company is a bit more expensive but as a matter of principle, I will not use Comcast ever again. They treat their customers like dirt.

Comments:

Review by DOStradamus See Profile

• Location: Santa Rosa,Sonoma,CA
Good "Worked the day I signed up (60/6!), Support quick that day"
Bad "I'm warned about "
Overall "Good for the time being, REALLY good!"

I moved, and needed to be online FAST at my new address. Being too far from the CO for Sonic (sorry, Dane!), and since att (nee SBC) is a joke, I had to check out Comcast.

Went down their company "Xfinity" store on a Friday afternoon, after checking their deals at their wwwsite. They Quoted me 39.95/month *there*, and I told the lady I was dealing with that I saw 29.99 on their website. After disappearing for about 10 minutes, she got me that price,and said she'd get things going right away. Shocked at how fast they do things, I opted to RENT a cable modem for $8/month. That was OPTIONAL... I could have gone to Best Buy (100 yards away) and bought one for $60, But hey, I'll be online "tomorrow", after they ran the truck.

Well, they didn't need to run the truck. BUT, I did need to call them to activate the bridge. A tad over 2 minutes on hold... WOW! 60/6 connected directly to my laptop...

Went to set up email and nonesuch (Comcast doesn't even give php/mysql to biz customers, without extra charges - later review), and saw that there was still a truck roll scheduled. Clicked "cancel service call", and got sent to a chat window... waited 1 minute for the chat, and, said "cancel the truck roll... all is OK"... "NO don't mess with it... just tested it at 60/6"... "they're your wires, but really"... and goit her to cancel the appointment.

$15 bucks for "HSI National SIK charge", plus ($65.95 - $36.96) for my monthly, plus eight for the modem, plus ONLY SEVENTY CENTS IN UNFEES = 553.69 for my first bill.

Can't beat that with a stick!

-NK

Comments:

Review by SolarPup See Profile

• Location: Windsor,Weld,CO
Good "Fast speeds, Great Uptime."
Bad "Tech support (if i ever had to call) is a nightmare"
Overall "Great for the speeds, but if you want support, look for the closest techie instead of wasting your time on the phone"

Back again, with Comcast after moving to a new house. My business depends on static IP's, so went with the business class package again. Everything was great, speeds are awesome, and 4 hour support is amazingly good! (Better than residential - you talk to someone that knows what the hell they're doing!

With package deal of phone and internet, it was about $130 with static IP's and 50mb speeds.

Comments:

Review by DataDoc See Profile

• Location: Martinsburg,Berkeley,WV
Good "Showed up on time, connected and gone in 1 hr, reliable connection"
Bad "Just occasional outages, usually less than 1-2 hrs on weekends"
Overall "Satisfied"

·Suddenlink
08/15/2013 This is a business service, lowest level. I chose this because I like to run my own mail/ftp/web servers. I chose to use their modem and connect my network equipment to it. All that was required of me was to change local IPs to fit the default range. I do have to make entries in my hosts file to reach any of my own servers, as the Comcast modem doesn't allow you to use your internet IP as an address for a server directly.

There was previous service, TV and cable, but it was residential.

This was as easy an installation as it comes. I've had frame-relay, DSL and now cable connections, and this was done on time as promised. Since then I've had as little outages as any other service. Longest outages have been during servicing, and the few others only 10-15 minutes each.

I don't have any TVs on the cable line.

member for 14.6 years, 6415 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by train_wreck See Profile

• Location: Antioch,Davidson,TN
Good "*BUSINESS CLASS* Quite reliable service over the past 2 years (internet only)"
Bad "If you DO have any issues/requests, good luck - numerous botches/cancelled appts."
Overall "Wish they weren't only game in town here, but could be worse."

This review concerns internet service exclusively. I upgraded to business class service from residential Comcast, for which I had been a customer for many years. In the early days, Comcast was notoriously unreliable; service would be down/slow at least once a month, sometimes more often. Over time, particularly since ~2008 or so, they've much improved in that respect. Speeds were mostly consistent on residential, with occasional outages that always affected the whole area around where I live. Switched to business because Comcast started charging overages in my area, and my residence would be considered an "excessive" data user - a house full of "cord cutters". Also I wanted a static IP for email serving purposes.

The original salesman I dealt with was pleasant, but gave me some bogus information; when I learned that all static IP customers MUST rent a special modem from Comcast, I had second thoughts about the static and told him that, for now, i'll just go with a dynamic and use my previous SB6121 modem. He then said that Comcast would be removing the requirement of renting a modem for static IPs, and that that would happen "soon". So I figured alright, i'll go ahead and get the static and wait whatever length of time that would be. This conversation happened 18 months ago, and from what it seems that was a lie; as far as I know, there have not and will not be any plans to drop such a requirement. He also said that my area would get an upgrade to 150mbps down within a year (this was ~2012). We didn't, we only got 100mbps. So that kinda stinks.

Initial install was fine, and service was great for over a year. I then moved to a new house. From the initial call, I was told that it would take approximately 5-7 days for the changeover to process, and that I would get a call when it was ready. I got no calls for 9 days. Called back, and immediately the CSR processed it and setup an appointment for 2 days from then. On that day, they call and tell me they can't make it that day. They finally do come, and get things set up at the new place - the tech ran new line and put no splitters in, giving a direct line from the tap to the modem.

I then upgraded from 50/10 to 100/20. Called, they pushed a new config file, and said within a half hour I would see the speeds. I didn't. Called back, they re-pushed it and it took that time.

I then had them change my reverse DNS for the static IP. My domain ends in ".co", and they registered it for ".com". Had to call back to get that fixed.

I then upgraded to 5 statics. This took about a week, and involved a tech coming out. I had them change the reverse DNS for these new statics, and they made the same mistake again, registering them for ".com"

Our modem then went out entirely, failing to acquire DS or US signal. They sent a tech out, but he was a residential tech and couldn't set up the replacement business class modem. They sent someone else out the next day who got it going.

Finally, last month I got a call from a collections agency, saying I owed $24.35 from the final month of residential service I'd had almost 2 years ago. This money was absolutely paid at the time of switchover, and multiple phone reps assured me that nothing more was owed and that the residential account was closed. Called Comcast, they admitted the error and credited me back the $24.35.

So it seems that tech support is somewhat problematic if you do need/want anything to be changed or added to the service. While the actual internet service has been very reliable outside of the 1 failed modem (we've transferred many many terabytes over our connection since getting it), they managed to screw up the majority of changes we've made to the service. For all its faults, the Comcast internet service has been issue-free, but the HR interactions should be considered before going with them, if you are lucky enough to have a choice.

member for 1.2 years, 698 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by cbrain See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "General availability at a fair price capacity for great service - promo pricing."
Bad "Unpredictable installation, poor tech support, no accountability or follow-through"
Overall "Great network-Customer service nightmare but improving"

******* 10-2014 ***********************************

Two Comcast reps canvasing the neighborhood stopped by my home this summer. They had my Comcast account history & "interesting sales tactics" but made me a very good 2 year offer ... in writing. I was considering the offer and did some research. I discovered Comcast scrambles all channels so customers need a Comcast box for every TV. All newer TVs have QAM tuners capable of using unscrambled signal from either Comcast or FiOS. I get about 60 FiOS channels with just coax connected to my TVs that are not available from Comcast. I decided not to take their offer.

******* 3-30-2010 ***********************************

From my experience, Comcast is a far better company since Verizon became a competitor. My mother had an ongoing, non-service issue with Verizon FiOS and became interested in Comcast's triple play. This promo included U/L nationwide phone with features, many premium channels and internet speeds beyond what is advertised. I asked if they would make a 2 year agreement. Comcast accepted. We had some issues with the install but all were resolved in about 60 days. She did not port her number until everything worked. At the 1 year mark Comcast started billing the regular price but made a correction on the first call. This promo included 2 digital boxes. Before they went all digital Comcast offered 2 more limited digital boxed at no additional cost. These boxes don't get "on demand" or premiums but allow older TV's to work. She loves the caller ID displayed in large letters on TV.

At this point I prefer the quality of DirecTV with TiVo, Fios internet and my VoIP phone, but Comcast has been far easier to work with than Verizon, and this package a better value.

******* 4-07-2008 ************************************

Service was good for the past year. The only interaction I had was Comcast's ongoing efforts to sell additional services. I preferred another provider and moved on.

******* 3-14-2007 ************************************

I recently had a problem with DirectTV and discovered a Comcast switch from dish promo. For 12 months the cost will be about half the DTV price for 2 DVR’s, most channels I had plus On Demand. DirectTV agreed to suspend my service for 2 months at no cost so I gave it a try. The service is excellent. DVR’s are good, but their not Tivo(DTV no longer offers TiVo).

My install was scheduled between 1 & 5 PM. At 4:45 I called for a status and was told tech would be there in 10 minutes. At 5:10 Comcast called and said it would be another 10 minutes. At 6:10 I called and canceled. At 7 the tech showed. I let him go ahead. All inside and outside wiring was done so he needed only to screw in 2 DVR’s, connect the TV’s and connect to Comcast. He didn’t have any advanced cables so he used coax. He had some signal problem so he played outside then asked for a signature. I tested a few things and noticed several problems. I asked how to flip tuners. He told me these were single tuner units and I needed to call to arrange a swap. As I dialed the number he insisted on getting my sig so he could leave. I told him I wouldn’t accept single tuner DVR's and asked him wait. He left. Comcast phone support told me they didn’t have enough dual tuner DVRs, to call back tomorrow and see if they could get me 1. I told him to cancel this install and call me when 2 were available. Without missing a beat or checking with anyone, he scheduled a tech to deliver 2 dual tuner DVRs the morning after tomorrow and promised component video cables. I tried a few channels and noticed a pixilation problem. The tech had added a splitter between the main drop and ground block but left an open leg. I removed the splitter and changed the 2 way splitter in the basement to 4 way. This resolved the problem. The follow up tech knew his business and did a great job.

Same Comcast, different year.

******* 11-2-2005 ************************************

In canceling, I allowed for service overlap during my transition. After both internet and video were installed I called Comcast and scheduled a disconnect on the last day of my billing cycle. Comcast handled this call very well. They asked what they could do to keep my business, who I was replacing them with and tried to convince me they were better without pressure. Comcast agreed to discontinue billing on the requested date and cut service the following week. I got one more Comcast call confirming I wanted to disconnect. I was favorably impressed. Then I got the bill. Comcast charged me $50 for the modem I own and a few other unexplained items. I confirmed there were no other charges and that I owned the modem when I cancelled. It only took about a dozen calls to get this fixed.

******* 03-28-2005 **********************************

Last week I discontinued both Comcast internet and video. My services have been reliable since my 4-2003 review. Comcast's retention department had me on an good price promotion, less that the services I replaced them with. I simply grew weary of dealing with Comcast. Every encounter is like buying a car. I needed to "negotiate" a proper install, needed repairs, price plan and Comcast was always trying to add something extra to my bill. Comcast techs will hook up a customer and leave regardless of resulting quality, then repeatedly make excuses and avoid proper repair if service is sub par. I suspect this is a part of the mentality that comes from negotiating with content providers, franchise authorities and takeover targets. It took me 18 months to get my services right. I did eventually get credit for the frequent overcharges but the time it took far outweighed the value of the credit. Comcast lost 3 members of my family for the same reasons. Verizon FiOS is now available to my mom so I suspect she will follow.

Considering the great network Comcast currently has, I hope they can come to grips with these issues and learn to deal with their real customers, end users. At the very least, if they do learn, they may provide competition to help keep Verizon on its toes.

»Comcast 3rd attempt @ $3/mo for owned modems!

******* 04-04-2003 **********************************

My connection has been reliable for months. A good value for the price. Video is finally good, my bill was correct 2 times in 26 months and I am now a citizen activist. An interesting odyssey for a lifelong pro business Republican. I’ve made lots of new friends, met with council members, testified before the county council, worked with the press and experienced how our Montgomery County Government works; or fails to.

Montgomery County deserves a better franchise.

I’ll fill in the details as I get time. Take a look at the Comcast forum here at Broadbandreports. »Comcast HSI

******** 02-2002 *************************************

I had 18 months of Covad DSL service prior to my 11 month Comcast@home service. @home was unusable for the first month(free trial period), then good until November 2001 when it became very slow every evening. Installation was on the day promised but then consistently unable to coordinate fixing problems. I needed tech help only in December when they altered my settings without notice. Resolved while on my first call. Overall I was very satisfied with both cable and DSL inet connections.

Since the transition to Comcast.net 3 weeks ago things are bad. I use dial up connection every evening. Connection is very slow, intermittent or dead every day starting about 5PM to about 2 AM. Needed a Comcast reset 2 times and am on my 3rd IP in 3 weeks. Have at times been able to force a connection by bypassing the DHCP server and using the assigned IP as static.

Gave them a week then started calling when connection is down. After long waiting on hold, tech support requires you to go through mandatory resetting of modem and computer, then going over all settings before they look at network problems. They don't log this info, or records of equipment, and are unable to access my local Comcast office database or to dispatch techs. When I call the local office they tell me to call the 800 number. When I explain that I was referred, I have twice been transferred to a queue that ends with voicemail.

Last night I stayed on tech over 2 hours and several transfers. My connection came live while holding but problem was still a packet loss of 40 to 50%, incoming and outgoing, within their network. They promised to have a local tech call me today. I added my cell # to the message. No call.

I feel Comcast is not being honest about the current situation. I expect some transition problems but have lost trust in Comcast's word and in turn their willingness or ability to resolve these issues. I hope they can get back to the @home service level but I'm here at DSLR looking at options.

********************************************************

After 18 days of being unable to diagnose my consistent evening outages, Comcast was finally able to make contact with the local office and schedule an onsite tech visit.

That tech will be at my site in a prompt, speedy 16 days!

*********************************************************

Comcast contractors showed up and rewired everything from the pole. Fast, professional and seemed competent. DID NOT RESOLVE THE PROBLEM! Current speculation…SW radio interference… no answer as to how they would track this down or resolve.

Over a 3 weeks period, Comcast personnel beyond call center never returned and most never reachable on incoming calls until I called Montgomery County. I now can make contact. Will update.

*********************************************************

Worked my way up to the field supervisor. He told me the problem was short wave radio interference. I questioned him in detail on all aspects of this then told him I would get the 4H SW Club to track down the problem for him. What equipment should I have them bring. He responded “let me go to the node.” From that evening on the multi hour outages stopped. First time since transition. I guess the SWR interference coincidently stopped that night. He now wouldn't take or return calls.

********************************************************

Attended a CCAC meeting and met the Comcast Gov't rep. The only person from Comcast to return calls. She got on this field supervisor. He got me in my car and told me he was trying to look at my connection but my firewall was preventing him access and implied me at fault. I again gave him a good quizzing, then said my firewall is on the lan side of the modem so can’t possibly block your access to the modem. I can be at a computer in 10 minutes where I can access my gateway, look at the logs, look at the modem, reset anything, look at BBR ping report and verify your statements. He hung up on me.

Comments:

Review by luckmann See Profile

• Location: Albuquerque,Bernalillo,NM
Good "Better speed than DSL"
Overall "great service"

I am a former Qwest / Centurylink customer who got terminated for excessive use. So, I switched to Comcast and told CL to go fly a kite. I now have better phone service with more features. I especially like getting voice mail in my email it has save me some hassles.

The thing I like the most though is that I am on the blast plan an got a speed upgrade last night (3.28.13) and went from 30-35mb to between 60-90mb steady. All i had to do for the upgrade was reboot the modem.

I have an Arris 722g telephony modem that is a replacement of a 602. The only reason I replaced the 602 that was given at install is I wanted to make sure it was IPv6 capable and allowed bonded channels.

So the bottom line is when I had Centurylink the phone was average with no features and the internet (40/5) was always somewhere around 30mb and cost $15 dollars more.

Very happy so far.

Update: 6/25/2013

Moved and upgraded to XF triple play. Other than the install taking three different techs things were good. The only exception was the fact that the any room dvr was advertised in my area (87121) after install I was told that I should have gotten it. Then I got another phone call and was told that it was not available in my area yet even though it was advertised. I was told that the node was not equipped for any room dvr. Someone is supposed to call in august and see when it will be available. The upside is I started out with a $328 install fee (complicated install), I got it waived down to the cost of the package for the month. So I guess that is something. I will update the review once I get the call on the dvr (if I do)...

10/31/13. Finally have dvr but was having some issues. Turns out the MOCA filter was installed improperly. That was fixed today. Overall still happy we will see how it goes

Comments:

Review by mjcrocket See Profile

• Location: Abingdon,Harford,MD
Good "Increased services, reduced monthly charge, minor problem quickly resolved"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Worth the money"

Called customer service on a Sunday morning to ask a question about a minor problem with my set top box. While waiting for the box to download software we got to talking about products offered by Comcast. The rep mentioned that I could port my landline to Comcast and that the cost for my existing TV & Internet service would drop to around $159.00 and would include a new DVR, additional channels, and a new Modem with WI-FII & phone access. I mentioned that I would need to port two lines. The additional line would add $11.00 to the quoted total. The new equipment was delivered within 72 hours. Due to a minor technical problem with the outside plant; the equipment did not work. A quick call to customer service resulted in an appointment to the a tech come out to fix the problem. Due to my schedule I would be out of town for several days and would be returning on a Sunday. I was told that appointments could be made for Sunday afternoon. On the appointed day the tech called two hours before the appointment to see if I was home and could he come then. We set the new time to 2:30 pm. I went outside shortly before that time and found the tech in his truck waiting for the appointed time. He ran a couple of tests identified the problem, went outside for some additional tests and adjustments. Returned in about 10 minutes hooked up the equipment and everything has worked fine ever since. The modem has provision for an internal battery which I had to call for at a different 800 number. In my county the battery is free and it was delivered in 48 hours. I have the modem connected to a small external UPS which gives me a total of about 10 hours of phone service in the event of a power failure and about 2.5 hours of internet & WI-FII. Total monthly savings are well over $100.00. Glad I made the move. Even if there are annual price increases those increases will never eat up the monthly savings.

member for 14 years, 3512 visits, last login: a few hours ago