Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

Review by delltechkid See Profile

• Location: Hermitage,Davidson,TN
Good "Speedy connection wtih low latency"
Bad "Customer service is terrible"
Overall "As long as there's no need to call for help, you're golden!"

I previously had blast only internet service. I received an offer in the mail for an Internet double play that included X1 TV service (with HD and DVR) and Extreme 105 internet service at 99/month for 24 months. I called the number on the phone and everything was set up. The technician arrived and installed the services but I did not have 105 internet, I still had my old blast speeds. So I called and the customer service rep said all was fine on their end it would take overnight for my account to update because of the install so the speeds should increase the next day. The next morning, still blast speeds. I called again for help and this time there were some changes made to the account and I was told again it would be ready the next morning. The next morning still no upgrade.

So then I called again to get the speed corrected and I was told that the double play came with blast, not with Extreme 105. I explained the situation to the rep, they said there was nothing they could do, to call the number that was on my original flyer. So I called that number back, the sales person said they couldn't help and transferred me back to customer service. This person also (surprise) couldn't help. So then I emailed the customer service team and called their corporate escalations number. Finally someone called me back and after a few days of phone tag, she said it was fixed. I had my 105 speed and everything was fine, until the bill came. So then I called the corporate escalation team again and got a call back. This time someone adjusted the bill and everything was fine, until 12 months was up.

After 12 months, the system reset my pricing to the non promotional pricing. I again had to contact corporate escalations and the guy there told me I was never put into a contract and that is why my pricing reset. Thankfully, he offered me the bundle I had again on a 24 month contract so I was able to get back into the correct pricing and as a bonus (after all this crap) I'm locked in at this rate for an additional year.

As far as the services themselves, the internet is fantastic. It is quick and rarely goes down. I work from home and use Microsoft Lync quite a bit and have several webcasts and never have issues. We have 2 PS3s, an Xbox, 2 cell phones, 2 laptops, and some tablets all connected and we use Netflix, VUDU, Amazon Instant Video and rarely ever have any problems with the connection.

For the TV, X1 platform is neat. It's a great improvement over the old GUIs that were on my cable boxes in the past. We were using only streaming before we moved onto this bundle, so we still don't use a lot of TV. However, I do like the guide and such. There are still hiccups like with the old boxes where things sometimes can't connect and the boxes need to reboot (particularly the second box in our bedroom loses connection to the main DVR quite a bit). The video quality is good though and I like how the system recommends shows and also remembers shows you like to watch. Just a few little technical improvements and I'd say the platform would be great.

Comments:

Review by landrover See Profile

• Location: Martinsburg,Berkeley,WV
Good "Easy setup. Used own modem without any issues. Speed is amazing so far. Blast speeds topping out at 124 Mbps. "
Bad "Dealing with sales and billing seems to be tough. Lot's of misinformation. But the product is worth it. "
Overall "Blows Frontier out of the park. No competition. "

·Frontier Communi..
I ordered internet only Blast Package (105/12) for $59 per month. I ordered over the phone to avoid paying for a self install kit, and using my own modem. That went very smoothly.

Despite the bad reputation with Customer Service, I was billed correctly and the account was setup properly. I was also able to call and have the modem I bought activated without any issues from Comcast.

member for 1.5 years, 365 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by DataDoc See Profile

• Location: Martinsburg,Berkeley,WV
Good "Showed up on time, connected and gone in 1 hr, reliable connection"
Bad "Intermittent outages, between 1-10 minutes, now solved"
Overall "Satisfied"

·Suddenlink
03/19/2015 Had intermittent outages lasting 1-10 minutes over the last few months. Finally they became as often as 3-4 times a week, so called Support. Usual reboot, etc. and then has serviceman come out. He checked connections, said he'd have an alert set so a supervisor would get emailed, which must not have happened because outages continued without any other action.

Called again after 2 weeks. Serviceman came out tested and replaced our modem, problem solved. He also left a card with his id and a supervisor name and number to call if it happened again. It hasn't in 6 weeks.

08/15/2013 This is a business service, lowest level. I chose this because I like to run my own mail/ftp/web servers. I chose to use their modem and connect my network equipment to it. All that was required of me was to change local IPs to fit the default range. I do have to make entries in my hosts file to reach any of my own servers, as the Comcast modem doesn't allow you to use your internet IP as an address for a server directly.

There was previous service, TV and cable, but it was residential.

This was as easy an installation as it comes. I've had frame-relay, DSL and now cable connections, and this was done on time as promised. Since then I've had as little outages as any other service. Longest outages have been during servicing, and the few others only 10-15 minutes each.

I don't have any TVs on the cable line.

member for 14.9 years, 6549 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by wbrightfl See Profile

• Location: Orlando,Orange,FL
Good "Internet worked well. Consistently received more than the speed package. 20 mps upload excellent."
Bad "Cable TV X1 service poor in comparison to my local Brighthouse TV service. Poor HD channel selection"
Overall "Excellent Internet, Poor TV Service"

·Bright House Net..
I have Brighthouse in Orlando, Florida and happy with the quality of the internet service, their digital TV service is excellent, great on-screen guide and plenty of HD channels. The only negative with BH is the growing number of fees and they keep going up, just like all other providers.

A Comcast salesman came to my door and I did talk to him and he was so convincing how great Comcast was I listened and he offered me a great offer of the Digital Preferred Video and Blast! Internet XF Double Play: 2 Year Agreement with $75 Prepaid Card

1: Digital Preferred Video 220 channels and Blast! Internet XF Double Play: 2 Year Agreement with $75 Prepaid Card, Extreme 105 Internet Upgrade: 2 Year Agreement with a 30 day money back guarantee. This brought my cable/internet bill to $24 less than Brighthouse so I accepted and scheduled the install. I did not cancel BH as I wanted to compare the two providers.

The Comcast installer showed up on time and was thorough in training me on the equipment. The internet speeds were consistently at or above the advertised package speeds, so I give Comcast internet for Orlando high marks. Now on to the cable TV service. I was given the new X1 whole house DVR system. It sucks! The on-screen guide is difficult to read. Black background with very small font white or grey letters. The guide only shows 5 channels at one time to view listings, with images and a prview taking up half the screen. The system lags when changing channels. On demand menu is not well laid out. You have to click through too many menus and options to get where you are going. Next I noticed that 6 of the channels I regularly watch were not in HD. BH had had them in HD for years, but not Comcast. Once you watch HD for a while its hard to go back to SD and enjoy it.

I have now tried Comcast for one week. Tomorrow I am taking their equipment back to my local office and cancelling, using the 30 day guarantee. My Brighthouse equipment is already plugged back in and working well.

Bottom line: Comcast Orlando Internet excellent. TV service pales in comparison to Brighthouse. Once they improve their HD channel offering and develop a good on-screen guide they will be able to compete with BH locally.

Update: I just say that Comcast pulled a hard credit check on me, without authorization which lowered my credit score 6 points. I have submitted a complaint with the BBB and demanding Comcast ask the credit agencies to remove the check as it was not authorized.

member for 10.7 years, 1114 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Anon

@cox.net

Bad Comcast Customer Service

I called just wanting to get information and a quote on internet access and after every other question he said "Now lets get you signed up" or "Do you have your credit card ready to finalize the purchase". I was VERY adamant about just wanting information about the different packages and he was only concerned about finalizing a sale. Every question I asked about the packages seemed to irritate him. Poor customer service.

Review by valor See Profile

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
Good "Bundled with TV, DL speed decent"
Bad "Where to start?"
Overall "Happiest day: cancellation day"

Oh, Comcast. Where to start?
* Billing "inconsistencies" ad nauseam
* They ran a new cable drop for my neighbor (I live in a townhouse) ACROSS THE FRONT OF MY HOUSE, UP OVER MY FRONT DOOR. And yes, there was an easier way
* Service drop-outs for about 2 months, upon calling for a credit told I'd have to call back when service was restored
* Severe up/down link discrepancy. There's no way to saturate a 100mb downlink with a 10mb uplink unless you're torrenting
* VoIP phones unreliable, even with QoS
* Comcast's internet backbones so saturated, even off-network speed tests won't max out the connection, let alone actual downloads (top out at 7MB/s ~ 60% of specified speed)

CenturyLink just installed fiber to my area with speeds up to 1Gb/s. Previously, only 10Mb DSL was available. Has yet to be seen if I'm trading up or down..

Comments:

Review by RightHere See Profile

• Location: Sammamish,King,WA
Good "Fast, reliable connection"
Bad "Customer service, have to re-negotiate for deals every yr"
Overall "I'd probably still stay with Comcast even if there were other High Speed options"

I've got BLAST! service from them (HSI only, no TV). I've found Comcast to be far more reliable than the previous provider I had (Broadstripe), in addition to offering significantly faster upload/download speeds. I believe I've had their service for roughly 4yrs now. In that time, I can recall maybe 2 small periods of time where I was without service, and I think once where I lost service for more than a day.

I don't like that I have to call up every 6-12m when my current discount ends to find out if there's another one that applies to me. I'd much rather see them lower rates across the board, and not make me have to do this. But in the end, I pay what I feel is a reasonable amount for the quality of service they provide.

Updated 3/7/15 with current service speeds.

member for 12.2 years, 702 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by blueseas See Profile

• Location: Antioch,Lake,IL
Good "Speeds are fantastics. Comcast just keeps raising them!"
Bad "It would be nice if Comcast was more open to customer owned EMTAs. "
Overall "Decent value"

I'm running a Triple Play/Digital Starter. Previously I just had Internet services with my own modem.
I had an intermittent issue that took 4 techs to resolve - finally the last one actually went up on the pole and saw the damaged cable. So issue resolution can be tricky at times- it all depends on the tech.

Comcast has been doing a great job - IPv6, speed increases every few years. Go Comcast!

3/5/2015- I renewed for a 2y contract at the Triple Play/Digital Preferred. No DVR but we do have the HD box service. Things still look well although I'm thinking about buying my own EMTA.

Comments:

Review by wilitos See Profile

• Location: Reston,Fairfax,VA
Good "x1 is good, very good on demand offerings, internet ok"
Bad "internet download speeds vary by day and time of day"
Overall "for the price is ok for what we need"

This is what I have.

X1 Digital Premier.
Sports Entertainment Package. NO a lot a HD sport channels
1-HD box for living room.
1-Any Room DVR for media Room.
All movie channels free(HBO, Starz, Max, Showtime, Encore & Stream pix).
HSI dual band Gateway 105 down 12 upload.
$150 credit to buy out my FIOS contract.
Free Install

All this for $127+tax

After 5 years with fios and price($166 for tv, dvr, sport pass and internet 50/50tier) increasing year over year I decided to leave fios for comcast.

We've had comcast x1 for about a month and a half now and so far we have not had any issues like others have with the x1 system. Internet has been reliable and the speeds do vary but is hard to tell depending on what you are doing online you may be able to thou. We do like the on demand offerings comcast gives you and the mobility features. I think I've only had to reboot the companion box a few times as the guide got stuck. I am planning to buy my own router so the monthly cost will decrease by $10.

After a year we'll review again our pricing again and what others are offering. Glad that I'm in a area where there is competition.

Comments:

Review by Robotics See Profile

• Location: Louisa,Louisa,VA
Good "Very reliable. Rare outages. When there is an outage, they appear to jump on it fast. Speeds are as advertised."
Bad "Phone Support. Employees who answer the phones for tech support. Most I have run into dont have a clue as to cable systems."
Overall "Im very happy with the service. Great service techs in the area. Very realible service."

·Verizon Wireless..
I was one of two beta testers for the County out here. I saw the system start out with screaming speeds, and less than a month later speeds dropped some. (I think they were still tweaking the system and that's why it got a little messy in the first month).
Ive had this service for 9 years now. Over all I'm pretty happy with the service I'm getting excluding their tech support.
I purchased my own modem. (was supplied a Motorola modem for testing purposes, but returned when system was made available to the public).
My modem is a Motorola 5200 (I believe) and works flawlessly.

Over all, excluding their tech support, Comcast I feel has come a long way with the service out here. Never really was bad, but seems more stable and pretty reliable.

I will add at present (03-09), Comcast does have a cable leak in my neighborhood. It has taken them over a year to start addressing this issue.
I even had to file a complaint with the FCC due to the interference it is causing on certain parts of the radio spectrum and the fact that they took over a year to take this matter seriously and even look into it.

****Update for 11-28-09*****

I'm really getting frustrated with Comcast again. My download speeds are no where near what they should be. And I'm not expecting them to even be close to what they should be!
I'm paying for the 16 down plan. My speeds 96% of the time never get to 7mb down.
It isn't my modem, it isn't the signals to the modem, I dont know why, and of course they cant explain why.

Its really frustrating. In the process of Comcast trying to work with me, and try to figure this out...they deleted my account!! Thank God I didn't lose my emails that I save on their servers since I dont use Outlook express.

Now for the last week, I have not be able to access the on line billing, so I can pay my bill. It keeps saying my info isn't available, yet it shows my name, address, and all that.
So thats something else I have to work on in the near future. And the reps I have always run into on the phone, are not much to speak of. That has been a problem from day one! They have terrible tech support that answers that 800 number.

I can say I rarely have an outage. And that is good.
But the speeds...well something is wrong with them (and it isn't the first time)
Our system out here has been thru a few hands. (at one time it was Adelphia), and I have heard from neighbors that cable has been out here for 28 some years...so the infrastructure, cable lines, etc. are quite old. Ive only been out here for the last 11 years.

Speaking of old....the community I live in is a lot of older people. And I feel, they feel, its faster than dial-up so no one else really complains.
But I'm a little younger (not by that much), and I know we are getting shafted out here. We all are paying for speeds that are no where near what they are supposed to be.

Unfortunately there is no where else to go. FIOS will probably never come out here in my life time. DSL is also out of the question.
If some competition would get out here, I'm sure Comcast would get off their duff, and get their stuff straight in this area and get some seriously needed upgrading done.

Sorry I cant say anything nice other than as far as it being there when you need it, it is (very few outages), but thats about the best I can say at this time.

****UPDATED 5-4-11****

A lot has changed since my last review of Comcast. They are really on top of matters when it comes to having reliable service in this area now. I also use a different modem I bought myself (Motorola 6120) Price is to high to rent a modem from them (now its $10.00 a month).
I have also noticed, and I'm sure its everywhere they serve, but their routing has vastly improved.
They still (and always have) been pretty fast to respond to outages.
For more local problems, it still seems to take a little longer to get corrected, and many truck rolls to get it corrected. We still have very outdated equipment in this area.
(pre Adelphia) equipment)

I have been with them from day one, and was one of two beta testers for our County. And they have come a long way, and have really improved over-all.

Calling tech support is slightly better also, although you can tell a lot of them (customer reps.) don't know what they are talking about, which in turn can cause getting a problem solved add more time to over all completion.

Still no DOCSIS 3 out here, and some of their techs say it will be a long time till we see it. This means no VOIP for this area. (phone service)

Thumbs up to Comcast (as of this writing) for finally buckling down on serving this community out here. (we are deep in the sticks).

*** UPDATE 03-08-2012***

I can not say anything negative of Comcast in this area. They have done a great job over time. They have taken the mess Adelphia left behind years ago, and made it up to date/speed. Very minor issues have accured over the last few years. And the ones that have, have been corrected quickly, and with little hassle/headaches.

The only gripe I have is with their reps. who answer the phone when you call in for assistance and support. But this has changed in the last few years. The poor reps. have to stick to their scripts to getting to the bottom of a problem. And sometimes it can get hard explaning to them that you know there is a problem, and yet you have to sit there for a given length of time listening to them tell you they see no problem from their end (if it pertains to the internet side of their service).
If you are calling in for a problem with the TV end of their service, they jump on it, and problem solved in a very reasonable time frame.

Didnt really want to bring up the phone reps., but the company could tweaked that part of the support chain a bit I feel. But you get that anywhere you have to call in to for support. So over all, it isnt that bad...just something we all usually have to go through when dealing with support for any given company over the phone.

Over all...
The service is great. Down time is very minimal. The techs they have on the road know their job well, and keep the system up and running with extremely low if any down time.
And if you ever run into Dan (one of the techs for the TV end), then consider yourself lucky. He has got to be the most friendliest, knowledgeable, down to earth persons you will run into. He goes far and beyond to help the customer, and is dedicated to his job. And he gets it done!

**UPDATE**
2-20-2015

Very happy with the service from Comcast. The price mentioned above is for internet and TV. My review is pretty much the same as above. I haven't had any real issues with Comcast's service. If it goes down, they are on it pretty fast and usually back up and running within an hour.
My only gripe about them is the customer service reps when you call in. I have also had my bill messed up a few times. For instance all of a sudden they started charging me for service I didn't have (like DVR service)

At present they have removed the 250GB cap. But I understand some type of a cap will be returning, and possibly be a 300GB cap.

Over all I am happy with the service, but I dread having to have to call in to customer support for anything. If you have to call after normal business hours you get someone from over seas that can be a challenge to say the least. And during business hours or off, you have a great chance getting a person that knows nothing more than to read a script, and knows nothing about the Cable industry.

Comments:

Review by joewho See Profile

• Location: Carpentersville,Kane,IL
Good "Everything works."
Bad "Tech/CS using a phone."
Overall "Once installed, no issues. Easy to upgrade equipment by going to office."

Since the system has contacted me, with no way to reply to the humor, I guess it's time to update review. I don't even know any more. I told my wife how to contact Comcast online. She did and is a stubborn Scottish woman. We have a good tv pkg. internet billed at 50Meg and phone. At the same price we've had for 4 yrs. now. Built a computer for her last christmas, it's wired and gets more than 50 meg down. I'm wireless laptop and get 45. We're at a little over 100/mo and have no complaints. There is a cap, but un-enforced. We don't usually go over the cap anyway, but sometimes I do, just to see if they enforce it. I'm happy, we're happy with the cost to product.

This year, we upgraded to the wireless router, provided for free with zero guilt about cost, but I didn't like it. I have a router already.

Lags and problems on my wireless laptop. So, we went back, office three blocks from here. They did not have an emta without wireless in stock, and the old emta didn't support our phone for a few days. Now have an emta, just walked over to the office. Zero confusion, zero negativity, zero billing problems. We pay our bill and we get the goods. Zero outage in 4 yrs.