Review by james_20 See Profile

• Location: Bowie,Prince Georges,MD
Good "static IP and no blocks on ports, got a install day of next day"
Bad "so far no"
Overall "good to try out"

call on 12-27-01 and got a install date on 12-28-01 ,which is very good
the tech come by and told me my house was wire but not from
my house to the street. our house is less than 7 years old and
the houses next to us were wire except for us.
the tech said comcast might of forgot to install our cable line
when we first build our house.
anyways they said it can take upto 20 days before a drop on the wire.
i don't know if i should wait for them to complete the the drop
or ask them to drop my order so they don't have to dig in my lawn.

Comments:

Review by ks4oc See Profile

• Location: Augusta,Richmond,GA
Good "Good Install Support"
Bad "Slow getting too me."
Overall "Overall very good"

I ordered cable modem because DSL is NOT available in the South Augusta, GA area. Even though I live less than 3 miles from the Augusta Airport, a very busy area.

When I ordered from Comcast, I expected the worse, based on cable TV experience with them. In fact, I switched to a Satellite Dish for my TV viewing, and considered going to Starband for my internet service, but changed my mind when I found it you cannot game on it (I have a 10 year old). So, DSL, Cable, or Dial up.

I've had dial up for years. The biggest problem there is that I kept getting kicked off of Bellsouth.net. In the middle of a download, or my son gaming, it would just shut down. Bellsouth.net is NOT providing a valuable service even for dialup.

So, with Bellsouth.net out of the picture, next is Cable.

I called Comcast on Friday, the 14th of December, and their first install date was the 21st of December between 0900 and 1300. Don't you just love vague appointment times?

The installer showed up at 1000, I showed him where to run the cable (I'm using my old cable for an antenna for local tv stations), and informed him that I had purchased my own cable modem. He made the proper paperwork switch for the modem (he brought an RCA, I'm using a Best Data CMX-110). He drilled through the wall, ran the cable, hooked it up at the pole, then came inside and let ME set it up.

The entire transaction took only an hour and a half. The only problem was that the local mail server was down for maintenance, but that problem was cleared up by 1300 hours. They gave me one month free, and free install. Monthly price is $49.95 for internet, add $10.95 for internet and basic TV, and subtract $5.00 for internet. I opted for internet only, since I have satellite.

All in all, and I am surprised, COMCAST did an great job getting cable internet run into my home. I also get 1 month free, and free install. Not too bad. Maybe they are improving their customer service now. I say...keep up the good work.

My computer is a 750mhz Duron, 630 megs memory, Linksys 10/100 Ethernet card, 20 gig hard drive.

Oh...according to the on-line test sights...my throughput is over 300 kps. That's blazing no matter how you cut it.

Frank S.

Comments:

Review by galaxian2 See Profile

• Location: Belleville,Wayne,MI
Good "FAST, Reliable, always on, and relatively cheap"
Bad "email is slow receiving, otherwise okay"
Overall "I am very satisfied, and do recommend!"

I was installed under Roadrunner (Detroit area), so will not comment as it is not relevant. Since it has been taken over by COMCAST, I have noted NO DIFFERENCE. There was no interruption in service. Speeds remain at 1486down/287up. I have not had problem one in two years. My VPN cost the additional 10 bucks/month, and is well worth it to me. (39.95 cable + 10 VPN) Sometimes there is a long delay in receiving email (up to 15 minutes) but more often not. I was concerned about the change over, but the horror stories I have heard did not happen here. I am very satisfied!

Comments:

Review by greighn See Profile

• Location: Exton,Chester,PA
Good "I called them at 4PM on a Friday with modem and Quickstart kit in hand. By 11AM on Saturday I was surfing at over 2Mbs!"
Bad "None so far,"
Overall "Highly recommended"

I was so anxious to get broadband that I had already purchased a cable modem from Circuit City when Comcast was running their last free modem rebate program. The modem costs $200 but Circuit City and Comcast returned $200 in rebates. The Quickstart kit cost me $19. When service was finally available, I called and was passed to their support group who took my modem serial number and MAC address. They told me someone would call back in 3-5 Hours. No one did, so on Saturday morning, I called (waited on hold for over 1.5 hours!) and when I got through they gave me my computer name. I keyed it in and was on-line! About 3PM Saturday, their support called to give me my computer name (at least they did get back to me!)

So far the speed is excellent (1.5 to 2.4Mbs). I am anxious to see how far it degrades as they add new users in my area (I'm fairly sure I must have been one of the first as I had been calling them weekly asking when service would be available!)

A friend has been having a nightmare becuase he gave them the wrong serial number. Their process for correcting mistakes seems to be poor so take extra care when reading them the numbers!

Overall, based on my experience it has been great. I hope it stays that way as we migrate to Comcast's own high-speed network and off of @Home's.

-Gary.

Comments:

Review by Stang5150 See Profile

• Location: Fort George G Meade,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "Fast download speeds, always on connection"
Bad "moderate tech support, useless software"
Overall "A good ISP when it is up and running."

Had problems when I first got @home. Modem would loose sync and found out that the cable line going to the node was split between everyone living on my court. That meant that everyone using cable and cable modems were using only one line going to the node instead of seperate lines. After that was fixed everything got better.

Comments:

Review by pbegley See Profile

• Location: Mount Laurel,Burlington,NJ
Good "uptime is very good, news feed complete and fast, throughput very good"
Bad "e-mail sucks, I get SPAM and never, ever give my @Home account out to anyone"
Overall "great value for money, reliable, use another mail service"

Comcast @Home is great value for money. I have had it since its availability in my area. They went from fixed IP address to DHCP. DNS used to be flaky, but now is rock solid. Recent IP address change may be to prepare for change from @Home as backbone provider. I have business IDSL because I need a fixed, public IP address and hosting capability and I plan to keep my cable subscription.

e-mail sucks. Did say the @Home e-mail sucks? I never, ever give out or use my @Home e-mail for anything other than reporting SPAM and admin messages from @Home (as required by TOS). Yet I get SPAM. How can this be?

News is great - you get a complete (16,000 groups and counting) news feed. They don't retain news long, but who can? Connection speed is very good and you can use anything that can process NNTP to read/download/process news.

Did I say just how badly @Home e-mail sucks?

DNS is very good. I have had inconsistencies between @Home and other (Bell Atlantic, other ISP) name servers, but this may be due to caching. For most users this is not an issue.

Did I say @Home e-mail sucks?

Tech support is not bad. First level support does everything from a script and they can't be expected to know anything outside the script (is your cable modem turned on?). Second level support is pretty good and worked out some early minor DNS and routing (well, not so minor) issues pretty quickly.

Did I say the @Home e-mail sucks?

I leave my cable modem up 24 x 7 and generally have had to cycle the power once every thee months. Not bad by any measure. When the power goes out locally, your hosed even if you have a UPS (and you should).

Comments:

Review by mswauger See Profile

• Location: Mechanicsburg,Cumberland,PA
Good "Blazing during the day."
Bad "Slow speeds at peak times."
Overall "No major complaints. Price is right. Much better than my 56k DU!"

I had been contacting COMCAST for about a year to find out when cable INET service was coming to my area. No would could give me any definate answers.

After all that, on Monday the 12th of Nov. I get a call from COMCAST. Service has just been turned up in my area and they need some folks to beta test with. They were offering free service to the end of the year and a free self install kit. I jumped all over it. We scheduled the tech to come out on Wednesday the 14th and I asked for them to call me about 15 minutes prior to tech arrival.

Sure enough, I got a call right about 12:00 noon. The tech was on his way. The first thing the tech did was check all my wires from the pole to the modem location. He indicated that the old crimp style of coax connectors had some issues with the INET service and replaced them all. He then checked signal at the pole, at the entrance to the house, and at the modem jack, all looked good. He got the modem out of the box plugged in power and the network cable and asked for my assistance because he wasn't real familiar with XP. I changed the computer name, a few networking settings and rebooted. Right in and right on the internet, no questions asked. Good speeds too (Did a speed test after he left on this site). I was headed back to work about 45 minutes later.

I have done numerous speed tests and have found that my service is near or below 56k DU speeds on weekday nights. Weekday days and all weekend long my speed is very good. 2.5mbps or so. I have spoken with COMCAST as thier beta tester to inform them of the slow downs and they have said they will work on it.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with the service so far.

member for 13.9 years, 132 visits, last login: 4.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by dinojerm See Profile

• Location: Livingston,Essex,NJ
Good "Very Fast,reliable"
Bad "none"
Overall "A very fast and reliable ISP"

I have comcast @home in livingston, NJ. I have been recently recieving dowloads speeds of well over 5 megabits, the rated speed. The tech support was good in fixing a problem we had.

member for 13.7 years, 112 visits, last login: 6.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by awax See Profile

• Location: Little Rock,Pulaski,AR
Good "Fast Download, good pings, free for three months"
Bad "Upload speed sucks BAD! Tech Support has"
Overall "If you don't need to upload alot then its great."

I ordered Comcast@Home on October 31 they were running the 49.95 install and three free months so why not try it before I sign a 12 month DSl contract with Southwestern Bell. The rep said they could have an installer our on Sat. Nov.3, ok great just a couple of days ok. Well sat. rolls around and I'm all primed for Internet, I have been traped on a dialup since I moved in late October and I am used to a DS3 at work, install time comes and goes. I get a call from Comcast about 3 hrs after my scheduled time saying that the installer could come out but the access wouldn't work untill Monday because I haven't been provisioned yet. So he comes out hooks up the modem and checks the signal and leaves, I have all green but no ip. Monday is here and I call Comcast and get my computer name and IP, boom we are on. I come back home from work on Monday evening and my access does not work, check everything on my LAN and my router can not obtain an IP, so i call @home tech support explain the problem and get told everything from "your signal is bad to they don't work behind Linksys routers," I get escalated and after an hour the "only" knowledgeble tech there finds out that my access is disable because of an invalid MAC address and serial # for my modem, he takes down the info and says I should be ok in 24 hrs. I calll back in 36 hrs and give them the ticket number and they have no idea what i am talking about and want to go through settings, i get escalated again and i am told it hasn't been fixed yet, this goes on untill Sunday November 10 and now it works. For my trouble they are giving me Free Install for being late and an extra month of free service, so I am happy now. As far as speed 1750k down and only 100k up. Yes I would love to upload faster, especially for IRC but this will work.

member for 14.1 years, 1066 visits, last login: 3.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by TShaggs See Profile

• Location: Devon,Chester,PA
Good "EXTREMELY fast response; ALWAYS up; FAST for $$$"
Bad "Software not supported for WinXP, but really... how much is at this point??? Besides, don't use the software much anyway."
Overall "If you live in a Comcast@Home area, GET IT! It rocks."

I moved into an area where one cable co (Adelphia) was bought out by Comcast Cable. Adelphia once offered cable internet service, but stopped once Comcast officially took over my service area. I had to wait until Comcast properly converted every Adelphia account to Comcast and upgraded any applicable areas (mine) to their higher-bandwidth cable system... this took from June-November (they originally stated it would be in October... not a bad estimate)

I got a call on a Friday that the service was available in my area, and I could now order service. After going from Telocity (DirectTV) DSL - they suck, BTW - to 56K dialup through NetZero, I at least appreciated the 50% uptime DSL used to give me through Telocity. I think I told the Comcast representative who contaced me once the service was available for my residence that I loved her. And now I know why!

She scheduled my appointment for installation (FREE) for the following Monday, and though the cable rep came at the last possible moment in my "service window", it took him less than 20 minutes to test the line, run extra cable to where I wanted the modem, and connect. Fast. Efficient.

The next 15 minutes he stayed to ensure that I could get connection through my router (to enable the service through my home network), even though Comcast will generally not support a home network, as it is the cutomer's responsibility. He was more than patient to ensure I could finally get a webpage to display through my 2 WinXP boxes connected through the router.

All in all, I love Comcast. They may make me use a cable box for my premium cable TV, but their @Home service is second to none!

ORDER DETAILS: * $39.95 + $5 (for modem rental)/mo

* FREE installation (they will send you a kit if you want instead)

* FREE 1st two months of service (still must pay $5 rental charge)

* @Home Software Included (modified IE 5.0/Helpful programs/etc) - didn't use but good for novice internet user.

Month-month contract, no termination fees.

* Static IP, multiple emails addy's.