Review by Stang5150 See Profile

• Location: Fort George G Meade,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "Fast download speeds, always on connection"
Bad "moderate tech support, useless software"
Overall "A good ISP when it is up and running."

Had problems when I first got @home. Modem would loose sync and found out that the cable line going to the node was split between everyone living on my court. That meant that everyone using cable and cable modems were using only one line going to the node instead of seperate lines. After that was fixed everything got better.

Comments:

Review by pbegley See Profile

• Location: Mount Laurel,Burlington,NJ
Good "uptime is very good, news feed complete and fast, throughput very good"
Bad "e-mail sucks, I get SPAM and never, ever give my @Home account out to anyone"
Overall "great value for money, reliable, use another mail service"

Comcast @Home is great value for money. I have had it since its availability in my area. They went from fixed IP address to DHCP. DNS used to be flaky, but now is rock solid. Recent IP address change may be to prepare for change from @Home as backbone provider. I have business IDSL because I need a fixed, public IP address and hosting capability and I plan to keep my cable subscription.

e-mail sucks. Did say the @Home e-mail sucks? I never, ever give out or use my @Home e-mail for anything other than reporting SPAM and admin messages from @Home (as required by TOS). Yet I get SPAM. How can this be?

News is great - you get a complete (16,000 groups and counting) news feed. They don't retain news long, but who can? Connection speed is very good and you can use anything that can process NNTP to read/download/process news.

Did I say just how badly @Home e-mail sucks?

DNS is very good. I have had inconsistencies between @Home and other (Bell Atlantic, other ISP) name servers, but this may be due to caching. For most users this is not an issue.

Did I say @Home e-mail sucks?

Tech support is not bad. First level support does everything from a script and they can't be expected to know anything outside the script (is your cable modem turned on?). Second level support is pretty good and worked out some early minor DNS and routing (well, not so minor) issues pretty quickly.

Did I say the @Home e-mail sucks?

I leave my cable modem up 24 x 7 and generally have had to cycle the power once every thee months. Not bad by any measure. When the power goes out locally, your hosed even if you have a UPS (and you should).

Comments:

Review by mswauger See Profile

• Location: Mechanicsburg,Cumberland,PA
Good "Blazing during the day."
Bad "Slow speeds at peak times."
Overall "No major complaints. Price is right. Much better than my 56k DU!"

I had been contacting COMCAST for about a year to find out when cable INET service was coming to my area. No would could give me any definate answers.

After all that, on Monday the 12th of Nov. I get a call from COMCAST. Service has just been turned up in my area and they need some folks to beta test with. They were offering free service to the end of the year and a free self install kit. I jumped all over it. We scheduled the tech to come out on Wednesday the 14th and I asked for them to call me about 15 minutes prior to tech arrival.

Sure enough, I got a call right about 12:00 noon. The tech was on his way. The first thing the tech did was check all my wires from the pole to the modem location. He indicated that the old crimp style of coax connectors had some issues with the INET service and replaced them all. He then checked signal at the pole, at the entrance to the house, and at the modem jack, all looked good. He got the modem out of the box plugged in power and the network cable and asked for my assistance because he wasn't real familiar with XP. I changed the computer name, a few networking settings and rebooted. Right in and right on the internet, no questions asked. Good speeds too (Did a speed test after he left on this site). I was headed back to work about 45 minutes later.

I have done numerous speed tests and have found that my service is near or below 56k DU speeds on weekday nights. Weekday days and all weekend long my speed is very good. 2.5mbps or so. I have spoken with COMCAST as thier beta tester to inform them of the slow downs and they have said they will work on it.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with the service so far.

Comments:

Review by dinojerm See Profile

• Location: Livingston,Essex,NJ
Good "Very Fast,reliable"
Bad "none"
Overall "A very fast and reliable ISP"

I have comcast @home in livingston, NJ. I have been recently recieving dowloads speeds of well over 5 megabits, the rated speed. The tech support was good in fixing a problem we had.

member for 13.6 years, 112 visits, last login: 6.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by awax See Profile

• Location: Little Rock,Pulaski,AR
Good "Fast Download, good pings, free for three months"
Bad "Upload speed sucks BAD! Tech Support has"
Overall "If you don't need to upload alot then its great."

I ordered Comcast@Home on October 31 they were running the 49.95 install and three free months so why not try it before I sign a 12 month DSl contract with Southwestern Bell. The rep said they could have an installer our on Sat. Nov.3, ok great just a couple of days ok. Well sat. rolls around and I'm all primed for Internet, I have been traped on a dialup since I moved in late October and I am used to a DS3 at work, install time comes and goes. I get a call from Comcast about 3 hrs after my scheduled time saying that the installer could come out but the access wouldn't work untill Monday because I haven't been provisioned yet. So he comes out hooks up the modem and checks the signal and leaves, I have all green but no ip. Monday is here and I call Comcast and get my computer name and IP, boom we are on. I come back home from work on Monday evening and my access does not work, check everything on my LAN and my router can not obtain an IP, so i call @home tech support explain the problem and get told everything from "your signal is bad to they don't work behind Linksys routers," I get escalated and after an hour the "only" knowledgeble tech there finds out that my access is disable because of an invalid MAC address and serial # for my modem, he takes down the info and says I should be ok in 24 hrs. I calll back in 36 hrs and give them the ticket number and they have no idea what i am talking about and want to go through settings, i get escalated again and i am told it hasn't been fixed yet, this goes on untill Sunday November 10 and now it works. For my trouble they are giving me Free Install for being late and an extra month of free service, so I am happy now. As far as speed 1750k down and only 100k up. Yes I would love to upload faster, especially for IRC but this will work.

Comments:

Review by TShaggs See Profile

• Location: Devon,Chester,PA
Good "EXTREMELY fast response; ALWAYS up; FAST for $$$"
Bad "Software not supported for WinXP, but really... how much is at this point??? Besides, don't use the software much anyway."
Overall "If you live in a Comcast@Home area, GET IT! It rocks."

I moved into an area where one cable co (Adelphia) was bought out by Comcast Cable. Adelphia once offered cable internet service, but stopped once Comcast officially took over my service area. I had to wait until Comcast properly converted every Adelphia account to Comcast and upgraded any applicable areas (mine) to their higher-bandwidth cable system... this took from June-November (they originally stated it would be in October... not a bad estimate)

I got a call on a Friday that the service was available in my area, and I could now order service. After going from Telocity (DirectTV) DSL - they suck, BTW - to 56K dialup through NetZero, I at least appreciated the 50% uptime DSL used to give me through Telocity. I think I told the Comcast representative who contaced me once the service was available for my residence that I loved her. And now I know why!

She scheduled my appointment for installation (FREE) for the following Monday, and though the cable rep came at the last possible moment in my "service window", it took him less than 20 minutes to test the line, run extra cable to where I wanted the modem, and connect. Fast. Efficient.

The next 15 minutes he stayed to ensure that I could get connection through my router (to enable the service through my home network), even though Comcast will generally not support a home network, as it is the cutomer's responsibility. He was more than patient to ensure I could finally get a webpage to display through my 2 WinXP boxes connected through the router.

All in all, I love Comcast. They may make me use a cable box for my premium cable TV, but their @Home service is second to none!

ORDER DETAILS: * $39.95 + $5 (for modem rental)/mo

* FREE installation (they will send you a kit if you want instead)

* FREE 1st two months of service (still must pay $5 rental charge)

* @Home Software Included (modified IE 5.0/Helpful programs/etc) - didn't use but good for novice internet user.

Month-month contract, no termination fees.

* Static IP, multiple emails addy's.

Comments:

Review by Jovial2121 See Profile

• Location: Gaithersburg,Montgomery,MD
Good "Outages have been few and far between."
Bad "Area is oversold, but they are working hard on it."
Overall "If you have 56k and don't care about ping times, this is MUCH better."

I have had Comcast@Home for about 8 months now. About 2 months ago, something happened. During peak TV times, pings were from 600 to 1000+ and download speeds were a couple of times fast than 56k. I had complained to many individuals and had even printed reports from here (Thanks DSLReports.com!) to show them what the EXACT problem was. After a tech came to my house, they scheduled a call for the connections leading into my area. Nothing there. They finally (I assume) traced it back to the initial router into the Gaithersburg area. As of Sunday, November 11, all is back to normal and my connection appears to be stable once more. Service is supposed to be 1500/400 with a static reservation but I am getting much more than this! I do not want to jump the gun, so keep reading the groups here. I did receive 18 months of coupons for all the calls and performance issue iI had been through. The contracted technician that came to my house was very nice and prompt (early actually) and even saw this sight as I performed the tests for him (and was genuinely interested!). The phone people are just that, phone people. There is only so much tech support you can get over the phone. For now reliablility will stay a 2 until I trust the connection once again. Although I do trust it will always be there (thus the 5 for DNS, Mail, News). If things persist in looking good, COMCAST@home will be king in Montgomery County once more!

Comments:

Review by DawsonPrime$ See Profile

• Location: Crouch End
Good "Connection is very reliable"
Bad "Tech Support could be better"
Overall "Works great, good speed. Little or no problems."

Ordered the service on March 2 2001, installer showed on March 4 (On Time). After install, installer could not get my computer to connect to the internet. He worked on it for more than 2 hours. He left and said he would schedule someone for the next day to look at it. Next day no one showed. I decided to look at it. All settings seemed fine. Decided it was the Network Card. Moved the card to another slot and VOILA it worked. Called and told them not to bother sending anyone else and to not charge me for install (since I had to do it). They said that was fine and apologized. Have had the service for 8 months with only one down time, and that lasted only for 3 hours. Advertised speed is 3 Mbits. Speeds were in excess of 5 Mbits for the first 6 months. The last 2 months have had speeds of 2 to 2.5 Mbits. I have a RCA Cable Modem with a static IP. Service is $39.95 a month.

Comments:

Review by bubbasbase See Profile

• Location: Bayville,Ocean,NJ
Good "Much better than Dial Up"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Great Service so far"

A Little slow getting my start up kit, but mostly just impatient, about a week.

Called at night for activation after self installed Cable Modem (Toshiba and LinkSys Router), had to wait until next day for activation.

Set up with just Cable Modem first and work great, took about 30 minutes and 2 tries to get the Linksys Router working properly. Man the speed was much better than dial up. I immediately tested got 485 upload and 84 download. The only problem after that was trying to get Outlook setup with an outgoing SMTP server for outside Comcast e-mail. Comcast Tech support was very helpful and gave me the accurate SMTP server even though they said they do not support Outlook 2000 only outlook express.

Overall very satisfied with the new service...

Comments:

Review by bortnits See Profile

• Location: Odenton,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "Realiable connection at least so far...."
Bad "No cordination between different departments within Comcast"
Overall "About what I expected"

I have had Comcast internet service for about a month now. I called on a Wednesday and they said they could be there Saturday to install it. The only reason I wanted the professional install (Other than it being 20 bucks) was because I wanted to have an extra jack wired in the room that would house the computer. I called twice to verify with them that I needed a whole new outlet added and they assured me that it was in the order. On the day of the install they showed up on time and of course the technician who came out said he knew nothing of the extra outlet needed. I told him I called twice to make sure they new. His response was uh I didn't get it and I can't do that. I was very annoyed about that because that is the only reason I wanted the professional install. Needless to say he ran the cable around the corner, 5 minutes and it was done. I did not let him touch my computer I asked for the IP settings and mail settings and did it myself while he looked over my shoulder. The Technician did not seem to know much about computers or networking because he preceded to tell me that I could not use Outlook XP to access my mail because he said they use Outlook Express. I then had to explain to the idiot why he did not know what he was talking about. He then told me "well that is what I was told by our tech department and they are computer experts". He stopped moaning and groaning when I told him that I am a Network Administrator and that I probably know more than any Comcast tech would ever know...

As far as performance it is about what I expected. From 7-10 at night Monday-Thursday I get about 200-250 Kbps during peak times. On weekends and off peak times I get up to 1 Mbps with burst up to 2Mbps. The upload speeds are pretty sad about 80-90 Kbps but I do not care that much about upload. I am not an email fanatic or gamer...