Review by VanTheMan9 See Profile

• Location: Columbia,Howard,MD
Good "Fast Always on never had a problem"
Bad "None so far!"
Overall "Speed is great, always on! Just love it!"

Since i moved to Maryland In July I've had Comcast @Home. I ordered it the week I moved and they came the monday after I moved in. I had RCN cable internet in MA and loved that so much! Its always on, I haven't been knocked off once at all! I download around 2000-2400 depending on the time of day! I've never had to contact customer service! I heared it bad though! Not sure? I was scared for the switch over from @Home to Comcasts network. I recived a letter monday saying I would be switched over on Jan 10 between 12:01 am and 2 pm. I was very scared since I heared the switch wasn't going that well! So I woke up today turned on my computer nothing, I switched my setting and restarted it and bang! Right on! No problem speed has dropped a little but is still VERY FAST!!! The only thing I don't like is the dynamic IP! But I can deal!!!! I love it! No problems so far!

Comments:

Review by varsity4123 See Profile

• Location: Severn,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "speed. hands-down, speed."
Bad "everything's understandable. nothing."
Overall "get it."

comcast just got their own network. i did lose thirty minutes of connectivity when they did the transition but it was fine after that. in the days before that, hell! it made me think twice. but since the transition, the only complaint i have are those one-or-two-second disconnections that get you kicked out from IRC or other such programs.

surfing, is amazing. downloading files and data is also a breeze, as long as no two clients/utilities that thorttle bandwith are running at the same time. both utilities get bogged down if they are used at the same time.

member for 13.1 years, 56 visits, last login: 11.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by Flips6 See Profile

• Location: Dearborn Heights,Wayne,MI
Good "Speed"
Overall "Great Isp. Just give it some time before you cry about it."

I am a new Comcast user and get a great rate. 868kps down 118kps up and have no problems. Give it some time it will get better. You try to renetwork entire cities without some slow down it speed. It cant happen stop crying things will get better.

Comments:

Review by cjmterp See Profile

• Location: Bloomfield,Essex,NJ
Good "Nice Speeds, Smooth Transition from @Home, No Network Outages"
Bad "Lousy Tech Support, Recent Price Increase"
Overall "A decent choice for most"

I was a Comcast@Home customer since 2/01 and recently made it thru the switch to Comcast HSI without any disruptions.

My disruptions happened when I need my rental modem replaced and the "new" modem was a reissue. The problem was that the serial number/MAC address for that modem was NOT removed from the previous account. I would have an "unexplained" disruption in service every few weeks for a couple months until someone at their tech support was finally able to find the issue.

Since then, no complaints except for a price increase.

Comments:

Review by gigabyt3 See Profile

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI
Good "coming through"
Overall "Worth the wait, and the money"

I too like so many people that complained, had problems with them after the transition, slow speeds, time-outs, some sites not coming up at all on the browser, was pretty upset about it. I started to look for some other providers, gave that up when I found that almost every DSL provider was not available in my area.

But to my surprise, just when I said that I've had it with Comcast and their service, they started to come up to their promise. The speeds improved big time, same as it was before the transition, no more slow loading on sites, everything is good now.

I just hope that I am not speaking to soon and after this they will dissapoint me again.

All in all, they came back as they promised and everything is great.

Good luck to everyone else who might still have problems with them.

member for 13 years, 3 visits, last login: 13 years ago

Comments:

Review by tejones3 See Profile

• Location: Mount Juliet,Wilson,TN
Good "Nice Folks at the local company. Very high download speeds"
Bad "Upload being capped at 128 kpbs. Techs don't return emails."
Overall "Good service so far"

I guess I'm biased toward anything after coming off two years of DirecPC satellite internet. The abuse from them left me appreciative of anything.

Comments:

Review by hiamperage See Profile

• Location: Carteret,Middlesex,NJ
Good "Its the fastest around here (overall speed)"
Bad "speed cap,bad tech support,horrible software,lies,invisible proxy,bad pings"
Overall "The only game in town as dsl here blows too (but more reliable)"

When i first got @home this kicked ass, now it just blows.. the company lied to us all and told us are connection speed will not change. Mine went from 2800/128 to 1500/128 (often slower). Now i get rotten pings in online games over 300 most of the time (i used to ping 30's - 90).. mail server is buggy and not always working sometimes sending 3 or more of the same email. The tech on support friggin lie about everything and arent helpful at all. Invisible proxy sucks too (now its on their end . not in your lan settings from installing software). The website has NO info on manual settings at all.

They took a great service and ruined it... optimum online doesnt seem to have any problems, comcast is just greedy! I hope something better comes along and we all just jump ship and leave comcast/att to sink to the bottom of hell.

The only other alternatives around here are VERIZON DSL which is 640/90 -- thats lame for $50 a month no matter how reliable.

And acck.. dialup (might be a good idea if things keep going this route)

PAY MORE GET LESS! Thats the comcast way!!! we just had a $5 increase a few months ago and this is what we get!

Misery loves company! Wont you join us?!?!!? Muhahahahah

Comments:

Review by james_20 See Profile

• Location: Bowie,Prince Georges,MD
Good "static IP and no blocks on ports, got a install day of next day"
Bad "so far no"
Overall "good to try out"

call on 12-27-01 and got a install date on 12-28-01 ,which is very good
the tech come by and told me my house was wire but not from
my house to the street. our house is less than 7 years old and
the houses next to us were wire except for us.
the tech said comcast might of forgot to install our cable line
when we first build our house.
anyways they said it can take upto 20 days before a drop on the wire.
i don't know if i should wait for them to complete the the drop
or ask them to drop my order so they don't have to dig in my lawn.

Comments:

Review by ks4oc See Profile

• Location: Augusta,Richmond,GA
Good "Good Install Support"
Bad "Slow getting too me."
Overall "Overall very good"

I ordered cable modem because DSL is NOT available in the South Augusta, GA area. Even though I live less than 3 miles from the Augusta Airport, a very busy area.

When I ordered from Comcast, I expected the worse, based on cable TV experience with them. In fact, I switched to a Satellite Dish for my TV viewing, and considered going to Starband for my internet service, but changed my mind when I found it you cannot game on it (I have a 10 year old). So, DSL, Cable, or Dial up.

I've had dial up for years. The biggest problem there is that I kept getting kicked off of Bellsouth.net. In the middle of a download, or my son gaming, it would just shut down. Bellsouth.net is NOT providing a valuable service even for dialup.

So, with Bellsouth.net out of the picture, next is Cable.

I called Comcast on Friday, the 14th of December, and their first install date was the 21st of December between 0900 and 1300. Don't you just love vague appointment times?

The installer showed up at 1000, I showed him where to run the cable (I'm using my old cable for an antenna for local tv stations), and informed him that I had purchased my own cable modem. He made the proper paperwork switch for the modem (he brought an RCA, I'm using a Best Data CMX-110). He drilled through the wall, ran the cable, hooked it up at the pole, then came inside and let ME set it up.

The entire transaction took only an hour and a half. The only problem was that the local mail server was down for maintenance, but that problem was cleared up by 1300 hours. They gave me one month free, and free install. Monthly price is $49.95 for internet, add $10.95 for internet and basic TV, and subtract $5.00 for internet. I opted for internet only, since I have satellite.

All in all, and I am surprised, COMCAST did an great job getting cable internet run into my home. I also get 1 month free, and free install. Not too bad. Maybe they are improving their customer service now. I say...keep up the good work.

My computer is a 750mhz Duron, 630 megs memory, Linksys 10/100 Ethernet card, 20 gig hard drive.

Oh...according to the on-line test sights...my throughput is over 300 kps. That's blazing no matter how you cut it.

Frank S.

Comments:

Review by galaxian2 See Profile

• Location: Belleville,Wayne,MI
Good "FAST, Reliable, always on, and relatively cheap"
Bad "email is slow receiving, otherwise okay"
Overall "I am very satisfied, and do recommend!"

I was installed under Roadrunner (Detroit area), so will not comment as it is not relevant. Since it has been taken over by COMCAST, I have noted NO DIFFERENCE. There was no interruption in service. Speeds remain at 1486down/287up. I have not had problem one in two years. My VPN cost the additional 10 bucks/month, and is well worth it to me. (39.95 cable + 10 VPN) Sometimes there is a long delay in receiving email (up to 15 minutes) but more often not. I was concerned about the change over, but the horror stories I have heard did not happen here. I am very satisfied!