Review by Mewtwo4000 See Profile

• Location: Lincoln Park,Wayne,MI
Good "Good downloads, usually reliable, easy to install"
Bad "Tech support is not very good and Capped uploads"
Overall "Get it if you can"

I have to say that this is better than many people say it is. I get a good download speed, Rarely goes out, rather easy to install (Wire to the back of the modem, another wire going to the computer through the network card or Hub, plus another wire for electricity.).

The only other major "Minus'" of this provider is the poor tech support (like when Comcast bought a television cable service, rediculously long time for internet), and the Uploads capped at 15k (To prevent people from using their connections as servers)

I gotten the following for a speed test:

Your download speed : 2235446 bps, or 2235 kbps.
Browsers would show : about a 272.8 k/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 119420 bps, or 119 kbps.
Your connection rocks .. above the 1mbit barrier!

Comments:

Review by mjritche See Profile

• Location: Hershey,Dauphin,PA
Good "Ping times and download speed ROCK!!!"
Bad "Upload cap"
Overall "Comcast@Home in the Hershey Area is GREAT"

Update: 1/22/2002

Recent speed tests to wdc.speakeasy.net speed test page.

** Speed 2606(down)/122(up) kbps **
(At least 51 times faster than a 56k modem)
Finish.

I am still getting rock solid pings to all of the east coast gaming servers that I am used to playing on. 25-35ms pings everywhere. I have noticed a gradual increase in ping times (3-5ms) over the past 6 months of my service, but the download speeds are still as good as they were originally (and even better now that im tweaked properlly). Downloads average 250-350KBytes per second which is awesome for the price.

I'm still on the @Home network, i'm not sure when Comcast plans to move their Hershey node over to their new network. I heard before the end of the month. I'm anxious to find out how my service will change, because right now it is top notch! (except the upload speed :-/)

Sorry to hear about the problems people are having in Harrisburg, and Mechanicsburg with Comcast; they must have oversold your node, because here in Hershey, the service is the best.

Anyone have any idea when PA is going to be moved to the new Comcast network?

Mark R.

*************************

Here is the details of my order and service with Comcast @Home:

Order date: 8/6/01
I placed a call into Comcast @Home to inquire as to whether or not their cable modem service was ready yet in my area. To my surprise, it was available, even though the webpage said that it still only "Might" be available.

The order took about 1 hour to complete over the phone. I don't know if it is standard procedure for Comcast @Home sales representatives to take their time on orders, but this took extremely long. The only thing that troubled me in the order process is the part when I asked the Sales Representative whether or not I can have multiple computers connected to the service. I had already went out and purchased a 4port Linksys Cable/DSL router, knowing there would be not problem using that, but I wanted to know from the Sales rep whether or not multiple computers are supported. To my surprise, he told me that the way @Home deals with multiple computers is by selling multiple modems for each computer that needs to be connected. That was a little shocking, I had never heard of that before.

At any rate, I was told that in 5 business days I should receive my modem. Sure enough, I received it on the 5th business day. I hooked up the splitter, modem, and my router, and connected that into my 100baseT switch. I called up the activation number, and gave them the Mac address, and serial number on the cable modem, and the nice lady assigned me a computer name for my router. She told me that within 3 hours my modem should sync up, and I should be connected. Well, it wasn't 3 hours it was about 3 minutes before I gained connectivity.

I was so pleased with the speed, and the ping times. For anyone who would like to read my disappointing experience with Verizon Online DSL, who I switched from, will know how happy I must be right now. (I had the 384/384Kbps package with Verizon, getting 150/120Kbps, and having service outtages over 15 percent of the time, and ping times to my default gateway of over 250ms). You can go here to read that review of Verizon: »/dorateform/IS ··· 52/19792

My speeds so far with Comcast, without tweaking RWIN:

** Speed 1994(down)/83(up) kbps **
(At least 39 times faster than a 56k modem)

My speeds so far with Comcast, with tweaking RWIN:

** Speed 2537(down)/126(up) kbps **
(At least 50 times faster than a 56k modem)

** Speed 2506(down)/123(up) kbps **
(At least 50 times faster than a 56k modem)
Finish.

As for ping times, which is the main reason why I made the switch to Comcast @Home from Verizon, here are a few examples of how great things are. The first set is to www.yahoo.com, and the second set is to my favorite Quake II/CS server.

Pinging www.yahoo.akadns.net [64.58.76.176] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.58.76.176: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=241
Reply from 64.58.76.176: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=241
Reply from 64.58.76.176: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=241
Reply from 64.58.76.176: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=241
*****
This is absolutely outstanding! I was playing all night on various east coast gaming servers with no more than a 40 ping, regardless of where I played. I also downloaded a 5 meg .mp3 file in under 10 seconds.

So far, I am totally impressed with the Comcast @Home service in my area. I do understand that I live in a fairly remote area, and my node is probably not even close to capacity, and never will be. All I care about is the good speed and pings!

Thanks goes to Comcast for saving me from Verizon Online!

-Mark R.

member for 13.6 years, 55 visits, last login: 12.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by mstlyhrmless See Profile

• Location: Knoxville,Knox,TN
Good "Consistently rediculously high speed and solid connection."
Bad "Mail issues."
Overall "I love it!"

After doing tech support for BellSouth DSL for almost a year, I decided to try a cable modem over a fragile DSL connection. I was prepared for the worst after reading all the horror stories here, but I was pleasantly supprised.

So far, I have had the service about a month. At various speed test sites including this one, I average about 1.6 Mbps downstream, 128kbps up. However, it has been as high as 2100 kbps. Just last night I downloaded a file from Microsoft at 185 KBps, 5.5 Megs in 35 seconds. Not bad!

The only problem I had was at first it took 6 days to "provision" my modem, instead of the 24 hours I was promised. Since then, though, the only time my connection has been down was for about a half an hour as I went through the changeover from @home to Comcast. SInce then, my connection and speed have been just as great.

One last note: Unless you are a novice, forget the software that is provided with the kit. It is completely useless. Just follow the documentation and you'll be flyin!

Comments:

Review by VanTheMan9 See Profile

• Location: Columbia,Howard,MD
Good "Fast Always on never had a problem"
Bad "None so far!"
Overall "Speed is great, always on! Just love it!"

Since i moved to Maryland In July I've had Comcast @Home. I ordered it the week I moved and they came the monday after I moved in. I had RCN cable internet in MA and loved that so much! Its always on, I haven't been knocked off once at all! I download around 2000-2400 depending on the time of day! I've never had to contact customer service! I heared it bad though! Not sure? I was scared for the switch over from @Home to Comcasts network. I recived a letter monday saying I would be switched over on Jan 10 between 12:01 am and 2 pm. I was very scared since I heared the switch wasn't going that well! So I woke up today turned on my computer nothing, I switched my setting and restarted it and bang! Right on! No problem speed has dropped a little but is still VERY FAST!!! The only thing I don't like is the dynamic IP! But I can deal!!!! I love it! No problems so far!

Comments:

Review by varsity4123 See Profile

• Location: Severn,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "speed. hands-down, speed."
Bad "everything's understandable. nothing."
Overall "get it."

comcast just got their own network. i did lose thirty minutes of connectivity when they did the transition but it was fine after that. in the days before that, hell! it made me think twice. but since the transition, the only complaint i have are those one-or-two-second disconnections that get you kicked out from IRC or other such programs.

surfing, is amazing. downloading files and data is also a breeze, as long as no two clients/utilities that thorttle bandwith are running at the same time. both utilities get bogged down if they are used at the same time.

Comments:

Review by Flips6 See Profile

• Location: Dearborn Heights,Wayne,MI
Good "Speed"
Overall "Great Isp. Just give it some time before you cry about it."

I am a new Comcast user and get a great rate. 868kps down 118kps up and have no problems. Give it some time it will get better. You try to renetwork entire cities without some slow down it speed. It cant happen stop crying things will get better.

member for 13.1 years, 11 visits, last login: 12.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by cjmterp See Profile

• Location: Bloomfield,Essex,NJ
Good "Nice Speeds, Smooth Transition from @Home, No Network Outages"
Bad "Lousy Tech Support, Recent Price Increase"
Overall "A decent choice for most"

I was a Comcast@Home customer since 2/01 and recently made it thru the switch to Comcast HSI without any disruptions.

My disruptions happened when I need my rental modem replaced and the "new" modem was a reissue. The problem was that the serial number/MAC address for that modem was NOT removed from the previous account. I would have an "unexplained" disruption in service every few weeks for a couple months until someone at their tech support was finally able to find the issue.

Since then, no complaints except for a price increase.

Comments:

Review by gigabyt3 See Profile

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI
Good "coming through"
Overall "Worth the wait, and the money"

I too like so many people that complained, had problems with them after the transition, slow speeds, time-outs, some sites not coming up at all on the browser, was pretty upset about it. I started to look for some other providers, gave that up when I found that almost every DSL provider was not available in my area.

But to my surprise, just when I said that I've had it with Comcast and their service, they started to come up to their promise. The speeds improved big time, same as it was before the transition, no more slow loading on sites, everything is good now.

I just hope that I am not speaking to soon and after this they will dissapoint me again.

All in all, they came back as they promised and everything is great.

Good luck to everyone else who might still have problems with them.

Comments:

Review by tejones3 See Profile

• Location: Mount Juliet,Wilson,TN
Good "Nice Folks at the local company. Very high download speeds"
Bad "Upload being capped at 128 kpbs. Techs don't return emails."
Overall "Good service so far"

I guess I'm biased toward anything after coming off two years of DirecPC satellite internet. The abuse from them left me appreciative of anything.

Comments:

Review by hiamperage See Profile

• Location: Carteret,Middlesex,NJ
Good "Its the fastest around here (overall speed)"
Bad "speed cap,bad tech support,horrible software,lies,invisible proxy,bad pings"
Overall "The only game in town as dsl here blows too (but more reliable)"

When i first got @home this kicked ass, now it just blows.. the company lied to us all and told us are connection speed will not change. Mine went from 2800/128 to 1500/128 (often slower). Now i get rotten pings in online games over 300 most of the time (i used to ping 30's - 90).. mail server is buggy and not always working sometimes sending 3 or more of the same email. The tech on support friggin lie about everything and arent helpful at all. Invisible proxy sucks too (now its on their end . not in your lan settings from installing software). The website has NO info on manual settings at all.

They took a great service and ruined it... optimum online doesnt seem to have any problems, comcast is just greedy! I hope something better comes along and we all just jump ship and leave comcast/att to sink to the bottom of hell.

The only other alternatives around here are VERIZON DSL which is 640/90 -- thats lame for $50 a month no matter how reliable.

And acck.. dialup (might be a good idea if things keep going this route)

PAY MORE GET LESS! Thats the comcast way!!! we just had a $5 increase a few months ago and this is what we get!

Misery loves company! Wont you join us?!?!!? Muhahahahah