Review by DawsonPrime$ See Profile

• Location: Crouch End
Good "Connection is very reliable"
Bad "Tech Support could be better"
Overall "Works great, good speed. Little or no problems."

Ordered the service on March 2 2001, installer showed on March 4 (On Time). After install, installer could not get my computer to connect to the internet. He worked on it for more than 2 hours. He left and said he would schedule someone for the next day to look at it. Next day no one showed. I decided to look at it. All settings seemed fine. Decided it was the Network Card. Moved the card to another slot and VOILA it worked. Called and told them not to bother sending anyone else and to not charge me for install (since I had to do it). They said that was fine and apologized. Have had the service for 8 months with only one down time, and that lasted only for 3 hours. Advertised speed is 3 Mbits. Speeds were in excess of 5 Mbits for the first 6 months. The last 2 months have had speeds of 2 to 2.5 Mbits. I have a RCA Cable Modem with a static IP. Service is $39.95 a month.

member for 13.4 years, 885 visits, last login: 11.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by bubbasbase See Profile

• Location: Bayville,Ocean,NJ
Good "Much better than Dial Up"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Great Service so far"

A Little slow getting my start up kit, but mostly just impatient, about a week.

Called at night for activation after self installed Cable Modem (Toshiba and LinkSys Router), had to wait until next day for activation.

Set up with just Cable Modem first and work great, took about 30 minutes and 2 tries to get the Linksys Router working properly. Man the speed was much better than dial up. I immediately tested got 485 upload and 84 download. The only problem after that was trying to get Outlook setup with an outgoing SMTP server for outside Comcast e-mail. Comcast Tech support was very helpful and gave me the accurate SMTP server even though they said they do not support Outlook 2000 only outlook express.

Overall very satisfied with the new service...

Comments:

Review by bortnits See Profile

• Location: Odenton,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "Realiable connection at least so far...."
Bad "No cordination between different departments within Comcast"
Overall "About what I expected"

I have had Comcast internet service for about a month now. I called on a Wednesday and they said they could be there Saturday to install it. The only reason I wanted the professional install (Other than it being 20 bucks) was because I wanted to have an extra jack wired in the room that would house the computer. I called twice to verify with them that I needed a whole new outlet added and they assured me that it was in the order. On the day of the install they showed up on time and of course the technician who came out said he knew nothing of the extra outlet needed. I told him I called twice to make sure they new. His response was uh I didn't get it and I can't do that. I was very annoyed about that because that is the only reason I wanted the professional install. Needless to say he ran the cable around the corner, 5 minutes and it was done. I did not let him touch my computer I asked for the IP settings and mail settings and did it myself while he looked over my shoulder. The Technician did not seem to know much about computers or networking because he preceded to tell me that I could not use Outlook XP to access my mail because he said they use Outlook Express. I then had to explain to the idiot why he did not know what he was talking about. He then told me "well that is what I was told by our tech department and they are computer experts". He stopped moaning and groaning when I told him that I am a Network Administrator and that I probably know more than any Comcast tech would ever know...

As far as performance it is about what I expected. From 7-10 at night Monday-Thursday I get about 200-250 Kbps during peak times. On weekends and off peak times I get up to 1 Mbps with burst up to 2Mbps. The upload speeds are pretty sad about 80-90 Kbps but I do not care that much about upload. I am not an email fanatic or gamer...

member for 12.8 years, 19 visits, last login: 12.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by xanth825 See Profile

• Location: Arlington,Arlington,VA
Good "good speed (down) incredibly fast setup"
Bad "email just too confusing"
Overall "really good for downloading, not uploading"

I ordered Comcast cable @ home tuesday night. the customer service answer immidatly and are nice and helpful. the Cable guy came at 12 PM the very next day, yes i got cable less then 24 hours after ordering, it amazing IMO.

The technichian took about 2 hours, i guess he was having some trouble with lines outside my house but eventually got everything working.

The first day of speed testing the Speed was 500 down 100 up. the next day i morning i got 3000 down and 800 up but now (bout 36 hours after getting it) im usually at 2000-3000 down and 5-15 up, i think the upload speed is just temporary (i hope). because of the slow upload speed i cant recomend it for gaming but i did get a max of 800 up the second day so im not sure whats going on with that.

My friend has the exact same internet as me and gets about 4000 down and 1000 up, he said the speed was a little unstabble at first but after about a week he got to the max.

The software is another issue though, the email uses outlook express, which (for me) has to use hotmail, so im just using hotmail right now. there arent to many features about the broswer (which you have to downloaded separtly) that capture my interest so i just use internet explorer.

all in all im very pleased with it and just hope the upload speed increasese with time.

member for 12.9 years, 18 visits, last login: 12.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by shobaffum See Profile

• Location: New Haven,New Haven,CT
Good "Technician was prompt, 3 months free."
Bad "Documentation not thorough enough for a geek like me"
Overall "Beats the hell out of 56k"

Called to order Comcast @Home service on a Friday night (it finally became availabe in my area). They were ready to schedule an installation the following Monday morning! I settled on Wednesday afternoon - they had to send out a tech because I don't have cable TV service.

Tech ran cable through basement, up the wall, etc. Unfamiliar with Macs, but to his credit he hung in there and asked me for help at times. Installation took about an hour total.

The hardest part was getting my software router working. I use IPNetRouter and ended up having to disable the firewall so that the rest of my computers had net access. Occasionally all computers except the gateway lose their connection until I load a new web page on the gateway machine.

Ordered 1.5 MB/ 128 KB dynamic IP, $50/month with modem rental. I'm getting 1.5-3 MB/128 KB.

Comments:

Review by soriold See Profile

• Location: Hollywood,Broward,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
  • CLEC party: BellSouth
Good "Good pre-sales information, friendly, no horrible hold-times"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Would definitely go for it again..."

I live in Hollywood, FL and the CO is approx. 15,000 feet away from my apartment which didn't give me too much hope for a somewhat decent speed. Before I moved to Florida I used to live in Brooklyn, NY (Zip 11222) where I had Earthlink which was simply great (except for the long, long (45 Minutes) hold-times when calling tech. support. Unfortunately Earthlink didn't offer service at the place I moved to and it seemed that BellSouth was the only provider I could get which didn't leave me any choice. After approx. 10 days I received my installation kit which I installed immediately and the only problem seemed to be my Westell Wirespped modem from Earthlink which I was allowed to keep. After a few hours of researching (PPPOE, etc.) I figured out what I had to do (no support from BellSouth at all which is cool since it is not their modem). I downloaded RASPPPOE as my PPPOE software (free!!!), had to unistall Zonealarm and was ready to go. First speed test showed 1,024 down and 240 up (!!!!!!!!!!!) which I couldn't believe given the fact that I'm 15,000 feet away from the CO. KICK ASS!!!! Other speed-tests thereafter showed 1,015 down/234 up and 860 down/180 up.... NO complaints so far!!!!!

member for 13.8 years, 116 visits, last login: 3.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by Waymond See Profile

• Location: Buttzville,Warren,NJ
Good "Fast downloads, sure beats 56k"
Bad "One-way telco return"
Overall "If you want broadband in my area its your only choice."

The download speed is great, Im just disapointed in that its not two-way.

When I ordered the service I was told that it would become two-way within a few months after they finished upgrading all the lines. So I figured I could deal wth using the phone lines for a few more months, well close to a year later Im still using telco return.

It really wouldnt piss me off as much if there was an update every once and a while showing what they have done, if they have even started. everytime I call its the same thing, No Estimated Time of Completion.

That and the fact that im paying 40.00(plus 10.00 for not being a comcast customer) for an incomplete service, because its not ALWAYS on (which I was just reminded of because the connection dropped as I was typing this), and I still have to pay for an extra phone line.

You would think they would drop the price a little for the fact you have to pay for an extra line untill they have the two-way service complete.

member for 13.8 years, 946 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by chasmp See Profile

• Location: Rockville,Montgomery,MD
Good "quick set up, good speeds"
Bad "can't get my email to work"
Overall "so far, s'allright"

After waiting 2 years for any type of broadband, I'm glad that I didn't get sucked into a slower (available) 1-year DSL committment.

Having had bad experiences with the local cable company that Comcast bought out, and in many ways not seeing any improvement, I was leary of what quality they'd be able to provide. However, I was sick of dial-up and with a month-to-month obligation, what the heck. I only had to wait for about 5 days from ordering to having a technician come to the house and set me up. He replaced the existing old coax in the house and I was up and running in very little time.

I'm one of the first in my neighborhood to have this so I haven't experienced the overcrowding of the node yet. I figure that by the time it does get crowded, RCN will be available and either the competition will force comcast@home to up/maintain their quality or I'll jump to RCN.

Comments:

Review by enragedcow See Profile

• Location: Ypsilanti,Washtenaw,MI
Good "Great install time, easy configuration, AWESOME speed!"
Bad "Fairly long hold times, but what can you expect?"
Overall "Wouldn't want to be without it again!"

I used to use Ameritech DSL here in Ypsilanti Michigan... what a joke!!! It took FOREVER for them to install, we had countless problems. it was a nightmare! Thus, when I changed apartments, I happily bid farewell to DSL and decided to try cable.

The ordering process was rather cumbersome, I have to admit. Because of all the cable company aquisitions/mergers, trying to figure out who serviced my area was difficult to say the least! Beleive it or not, I finally got to the website I needed by FIRST going to Mediaone.net, which linked me to ATT broadband, which linked me to Comcast.com, which linked me back to Mediaone.net and FINALLY back to comcast.com.... it was nuts.

Anyways, I ordered to cable quick because after the DSL fiasco i thought it would take forever to install. I placed my order, and to my shock the operator gave me a list of times for me to choose for install, and they could have installed within 3 days!!! Anyways, I ended up scheduling for a week later, from 11-3 on saturday.

11 came, and right on the dot the installer came. Very quick, friendly, and knowledgeable. He even helped me with my router

Speed is awesome, much better than DSL. All in all, I can't complain!! Comcast broadband rocks!!!

Comments:

Review by Viperhawk See Profile

• Location: Flint,Genesee,MI
Good "After about 10 months.... mostly good!"
Bad "As with every cable, slow downs during peak usage hours."
Overall "No real complaints, plus an unexpected goody (see review)."

I signed up during a back to school special (no, you didn't have to be a student or even have kids.

Free installation, free modem (can be bought for a reduction in the monthly bill).

And the 1st, 3 months were only 19.95. NOTE: When you call (if you aren't in a hurry) ask for when they will have specials running and tell them you are thinking about DSL as well ( sometimes they will give "sign up" incentives).

One unexpected goody was, as I allready had "basic Cable", the 39.95 a month price I was quoted for cable + my monthly basic fee of 11.00 something (at the time), turned out to be a total of $36 something for both services (cost as of last months bill).

Installation was as promised and took aprox. 1 hour.

Although there have been some loss of cable and 3 or 4 mail outtages (never more than a day. I sitll have to rate Comcast as a "must have" and "top value" at least in the Flint Mi. area.

Other cities may have slower speeds, it depends on number of users, or limits, but my average speed comes in at whatever the server I'm downloading from, I have hit speeds of 1000 to 42000 kbps off hours from servers like MS and Symanyec.

Tech.Supp....No problems just a couple of cable outages (their system takes a while for new outages to show up, but all problems were out side my home, not my hardware.

The only real gripe is that I have a fixed IP (have a good firewall handy