Review by tejones3 See Profile

• Location: Mount Juliet,Wilson,TN
Good "Nice Folks at the local company. Very high download speeds"
Bad "Upload being capped at 128 kpbs. Techs don't return emails."
Overall "Good service so far"

I guess I'm biased toward anything after coming off two years of DirecPC satellite internet. The abuse from them left me appreciative of anything.

Comments:

Review by hiamperage See Profile

• Location: Carteret,Middlesex,NJ
Good "Its the fastest around here (overall speed)"
Bad "speed cap,bad tech support,horrible software,lies,invisible proxy,bad pings"
Overall "The only game in town as dsl here blows too (but more reliable)"

When i first got @home this kicked ass, now it just blows.. the company lied to us all and told us are connection speed will not change. Mine went from 2800/128 to 1500/128 (often slower). Now i get rotten pings in online games over 300 most of the time (i used to ping 30's - 90).. mail server is buggy and not always working sometimes sending 3 or more of the same email. The tech on support friggin lie about everything and arent helpful at all. Invisible proxy sucks too (now its on their end . not in your lan settings from installing software). The website has NO info on manual settings at all.

They took a great service and ruined it... optimum online doesnt seem to have any problems, comcast is just greedy! I hope something better comes along and we all just jump ship and leave comcast/att to sink to the bottom of hell.

The only other alternatives around here are VERIZON DSL which is 640/90 -- thats lame for $50 a month no matter how reliable.

And acck.. dialup (might be a good idea if things keep going this route)

PAY MORE GET LESS! Thats the comcast way!!! we just had a $5 increase a few months ago and this is what we get!

Misery loves company! Wont you join us?!?!!? Muhahahahah

member for 13.7 years, 57 visits, last login: 12.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by james_20 See Profile

• Location: Bowie,Prince Georges,MD
Good "static IP and no blocks on ports, got a install day of next day"
Bad "so far no"
Overall "good to try out"

call on 12-27-01 and got a install date on 12-28-01 ,which is very good
the tech come by and told me my house was wire but not from
my house to the street. our house is less than 7 years old and
the houses next to us were wire except for us.
the tech said comcast might of forgot to install our cable line
when we first build our house.
anyways they said it can take upto 20 days before a drop on the wire.
i don't know if i should wait for them to complete the the drop
or ask them to drop my order so they don't have to dig in my lawn.

Comments:

Review by ks4oc See Profile

• Location: Augusta,Richmond,GA
Good "Good Install Support"
Bad "Slow getting too me."
Overall "Overall very good"

I ordered cable modem because DSL is NOT available in the South Augusta, GA area. Even though I live less than 3 miles from the Augusta Airport, a very busy area.

When I ordered from Comcast, I expected the worse, based on cable TV experience with them. In fact, I switched to a Satellite Dish for my TV viewing, and considered going to Starband for my internet service, but changed my mind when I found it you cannot game on it (I have a 10 year old). So, DSL, Cable, or Dial up.

I've had dial up for years. The biggest problem there is that I kept getting kicked off of Bellsouth.net. In the middle of a download, or my son gaming, it would just shut down. Bellsouth.net is NOT providing a valuable service even for dialup.

So, with Bellsouth.net out of the picture, next is Cable.

I called Comcast on Friday, the 14th of December, and their first install date was the 21st of December between 0900 and 1300. Don't you just love vague appointment times?

The installer showed up at 1000, I showed him where to run the cable (I'm using my old cable for an antenna for local tv stations), and informed him that I had purchased my own cable modem. He made the proper paperwork switch for the modem (he brought an RCA, I'm using a Best Data CMX-110). He drilled through the wall, ran the cable, hooked it up at the pole, then came inside and let ME set it up.

The entire transaction took only an hour and a half. The only problem was that the local mail server was down for maintenance, but that problem was cleared up by 1300 hours. They gave me one month free, and free install. Monthly price is $49.95 for internet, add $10.95 for internet and basic TV, and subtract $5.00 for internet. I opted for internet only, since I have satellite.

All in all, and I am surprised, COMCAST did an great job getting cable internet run into my home. I also get 1 month free, and free install. Not too bad. Maybe they are improving their customer service now. I say...keep up the good work.

My computer is a 750mhz Duron, 630 megs memory, Linksys 10/100 Ethernet card, 20 gig hard drive.

Oh...according to the on-line test sights...my throughput is over 300 kps. That's blazing no matter how you cut it.

Frank S.

Comments:

Review by galaxian2 See Profile

• Location: Belleville,Wayne,MI
Good "FAST, Reliable, always on, and relatively cheap"
Bad "email is slow receiving, otherwise okay"
Overall "I am very satisfied, and do recommend!"

I was installed under Roadrunner (Detroit area), so will not comment as it is not relevant. Since it has been taken over by COMCAST, I have noted NO DIFFERENCE. There was no interruption in service. Speeds remain at 1486down/287up. I have not had problem one in two years. My VPN cost the additional 10 bucks/month, and is well worth it to me. (39.95 cable + 10 VPN) Sometimes there is a long delay in receiving email (up to 15 minutes) but more often not. I was concerned about the change over, but the horror stories I have heard did not happen here. I am very satisfied!

Comments:

Review by greighn See Profile

• Location: Exton,Chester,PA
Good "I called them at 4PM on a Friday with modem and Quickstart kit in hand. By 11AM on Saturday I was surfing at over 2Mbs!"
Bad "None so far,"
Overall "Highly recommended"

I was so anxious to get broadband that I had already purchased a cable modem from Circuit City when Comcast was running their last free modem rebate program. The modem costs $200 but Circuit City and Comcast returned $200 in rebates. The Quickstart kit cost me $19. When service was finally available, I called and was passed to their support group who took my modem serial number and MAC address. They told me someone would call back in 3-5 Hours. No one did, so on Saturday morning, I called (waited on hold for over 1.5 hours!) and when I got through they gave me my computer name. I keyed it in and was on-line! About 3PM Saturday, their support called to give me my computer name (at least they did get back to me!)

So far the speed is excellent (1.5 to 2.4Mbs). I am anxious to see how far it degrades as they add new users in my area (I'm fairly sure I must have been one of the first as I had been calling them weekly asking when service would be available!)

A friend has been having a nightmare becuase he gave them the wrong serial number. Their process for correcting mistakes seems to be poor so take extra care when reading them the numbers!

Overall, based on my experience it has been great. I hope it stays that way as we migrate to Comcast's own high-speed network and off of @Home's.

-Gary.

Comments:

Review by Stang5150 See Profile

• Location: Fort George G Meade,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "Fast download speeds, always on connection"
Bad "moderate tech support, useless software"
Overall "A good ISP when it is up and running."

Had problems when I first got @home. Modem would loose sync and found out that the cable line going to the node was split between everyone living on my court. That meant that everyone using cable and cable modems were using only one line going to the node instead of seperate lines. After that was fixed everything got better.

Comments:

Review by pbegley See Profile

• Location: Mount Laurel,Burlington,NJ
Good "uptime is very good, news feed complete and fast, throughput very good"
Bad "e-mail sucks, I get SPAM and never, ever give my @Home account out to anyone"
Overall "great value for money, reliable, use another mail service"

Comcast @Home is great value for money. I have had it since its availability in my area. They went from fixed IP address to DHCP. DNS used to be flaky, but now is rock solid. Recent IP address change may be to prepare for change from @Home as backbone provider. I have business IDSL because I need a fixed, public IP address and hosting capability and I plan to keep my cable subscription.

e-mail sucks. Did say the @Home e-mail sucks? I never, ever give out or use my @Home e-mail for anything other than reporting SPAM and admin messages from @Home (as required by TOS). Yet I get SPAM. How can this be?

News is great - you get a complete (16,000 groups and counting) news feed. They don't retain news long, but who can? Connection speed is very good and you can use anything that can process NNTP to read/download/process news.

Did I say just how badly @Home e-mail sucks?

DNS is very good. I have had inconsistencies between @Home and other (Bell Atlantic, other ISP) name servers, but this may be due to caching. For most users this is not an issue.

Did I say @Home e-mail sucks?

Tech support is not bad. First level support does everything from a script and they can't be expected to know anything outside the script (is your cable modem turned on?). Second level support is pretty good and worked out some early minor DNS and routing (well, not so minor) issues pretty quickly.

Did I say the @Home e-mail sucks?

I leave my cable modem up 24 x 7 and generally have had to cycle the power once every thee months. Not bad by any measure. When the power goes out locally, your hosed even if you have a UPS (and you should).

Comments:

Review by mswauger See Profile

• Location: Mechanicsburg,Cumberland,PA
Good "Blazing during the day."
Bad "Slow speeds at peak times."
Overall "No major complaints. Price is right. Much better than my 56k DU!"

I had been contacting COMCAST for about a year to find out when cable INET service was coming to my area. No would could give me any definate answers.

After all that, on Monday the 12th of Nov. I get a call from COMCAST. Service has just been turned up in my area and they need some folks to beta test with. They were offering free service to the end of the year and a free self install kit. I jumped all over it. We scheduled the tech to come out on Wednesday the 14th and I asked for them to call me about 15 minutes prior to tech arrival.

Sure enough, I got a call right about 12:00 noon. The tech was on his way. The first thing the tech did was check all my wires from the pole to the modem location. He indicated that the old crimp style of coax connectors had some issues with the INET service and replaced them all. He then checked signal at the pole, at the entrance to the house, and at the modem jack, all looked good. He got the modem out of the box plugged in power and the network cable and asked for my assistance because he wasn't real familiar with XP. I changed the computer name, a few networking settings and rebooted. Right in and right on the internet, no questions asked. Good speeds too (Did a speed test after he left on this site). I was headed back to work about 45 minutes later.

I have done numerous speed tests and have found that my service is near or below 56k DU speeds on weekday nights. Weekday days and all weekend long my speed is very good. 2.5mbps or so. I have spoken with COMCAST as thier beta tester to inform them of the slow downs and they have said they will work on it.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with the service so far.

Comments:

Review by dinojerm See Profile

• Location: Livingston,Essex,NJ
Good "Very Fast,reliable"
Bad "none"
Overall "A very fast and reliable ISP"

I have comcast @home in livingston, NJ. I have been recently recieving dowloads speeds of well over 5 megabits, the rated speed. The tech support was good in fixing a problem we had.

member for 13.8 years, 112 visits, last login: 6.9 years ago