Review by Mr B See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "A reliable, fast and trouble free service consolidated wih cable TV"
Bad "No warning for planned outages or service changes."
Overall "Well worth the time and money. Generally a positive experience."

My new home was prewired for cable, so the choice of Comcast@home was an easy one. I still consider myself on a test run, but the prospects look good for continuing the service. Cable internet access is in great demand around here so the wait for installation was long. My personal problem was a lack of a cable line directly to the house. It took three tries, one week each, to coordinate the outside linemen and the inside modem installer. These guys are great but since they are independent contractors, if something is not right they cut and run. Time is money.

There is usually a steady signal (with the exception of an odd 5 day outage for "upgrades"). Recent experience includes poor communication about planned outages and service changes. For example, service is periodically suspended and upload speed was suddenly capped at 128K without notification. I still can recommend Comcast@home . It seems a bit pricey but it is essential to my work and it is well coordinated with my cable TV service.

4 Stars

member for 12.9 years, 192 visits, last login: 5.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by karmann See Profile

• Location: Knoxville,Knox,TN
Good "Fast, very fast, good routing"
Bad "Comcast office & install company need to be on the same page."
Overall "Excellent service"

Called on Tuesday and asked about getting service. Asked about installation costs and monthly costs. Was told two incorrect pieces of information. a) The $59 install DOES NOT really include a "wall fish" ($32 more) and b) The cable modem installer does not hook up Cable TV as well (I ordered the $7 local broadcast only service to save the extra $3/month - $39.95 w/cable TV - $49.95 w/o cable TV). The latter is obviously no big deal as the Cable modem installer did hook up the Cable TV he just didn't setup the limited service. They have to come back later for that. The former however just ticks me off as I specifically asked the question and was told "Yes, the install of one inside cable drop is included in that price. Yes, WHATEVER IT TAKES. Through the ceiling, wall, floor whatever." Paraphrasing of course but you get the point.

The installer has serious punctuality issues as well. Scheduled for Thursday between 12-4. Came by at 1:40 and knocked (as in didn't ring the doorbell). The dogs didn't even hear him (and go NUTS with barking). Left note and drove off. Four phone calls later managed to get the scoop and was told he'd be by that night. Called at 5pm to say he'd be there around 7. Showed up at 8:30pm! Started thunderstorming so I agree to 8-9am Friday morning (I heard his boss tell him the time over his radio). Calls the next morning at 8:55 to say he's on his way. Shows up at 11:30am! Admits later that his boss had to come to his house to wake him up. Install done in about 2 hours. Nice enough guy just needs more caffeine or something.

I wouldn't let him touch my computer for that part of the install. I had it working in about 2 minutes from the time he hooked up the modem. He was going to all the wrong places to get it working in Win2KPro. Short call to tech support to get my default email password and I was up completely.

Gaming pings range from 45ms (Atlanta) to 110ms (Rochester NY). I'm throughly impressed and it's $3/month cheaper than my 128 ISDN. This service is awesome and so far I'd recommend it to anyone.

EDIT (8/17/01):

About 4 weeks ago my ping and bandwidth starting going to hell at around 9pm every night. During the day I ping as low as 85ms to Rochester, NY. By 9:30pm I'm pinging around 275ms. A tracert has indicated that I'm pinging about 250 to my 3rd hop in Nashville. A friend that works in their Nashville operations center has confirmed that this is an issue local to Knoxville. 3 weeks have gone by since I filed a trouble ticket with tech support. No emails, no response at all. If you have DSL or even ISDN and you're a gamer I would definitely not recommend switching to Comcast right now. Hopefully they will fix the problem but I'm not holding my breath.

EDIT (8/31/01):

To answer both your questions... I didn't want to change my overall ranking until/if I heard back from them. It hit my overall bandwidth and therefore my ping. I would sometimes get 400Kb download speeds during the day. This would drop to 25Kb during peak hours. The lowest I ever saw it go was 3.2Kb. Yes... 56K speeds. That friend in Nashville told me who to talk to and what to say here in Knoxville. I ended up calling the Head End Technician on Sharp's Ridge. He was not very happy that I tracked down his phone number but he did pass my problem along to the local repair guys. As it turns out Knoxville only had one DS3 (about 30 T1s) for all of Knoxville and Oak Ridge (5300 subscribers). They just installed a second DS3 (as of 8/30/01) that has solved my problems. Pings are back to how they were in July. I'm glad I didn't hold my breath but I'm very impressed that they spent that much cash to double their bandwidth. Let's just hope that next time they see this coming and increase it again before it becomes a problem. From what I hear not only did the ticket that I filed with @Home several weeks ago get their attention but the calls I placed to the Head End tech and local repair numbers got their attention. Overall I'm impressed. Not at all the horror stories I'd heard from friends online that had to switch back to ISDN because their cable got bad and never got fixed. Given this, I have boosted all my opinion rankings of them.

Comments:

Review by dpy See Profile

• Location: Rockville,Montgomery,MD
Good "Fast Service, Good Price, Cable Modem Rebate"
Bad "Some line packet loss, sometimes slow ping times"
Overall "I've had both SDSL and Cable. Let me tell you, nothing beats cable for the price"

I used to have SDSL with PSN and it was horrible. High ping times, packet loss, etc... That was last october. I was not able to switch ISPs because after PSN went bankrupt, Northpoint screwed up my Line and well, you can imagine the rest.

Anyway, I had been trying to get Cable (xDsl was not available for me) becuase I play LOTS of online games. I need low latency. Comcat juset became available. I called them and they said yes it was avaible. Finally, after a year of being broadband-less, I finally got it. They scheduled the installation date for the 30th. The guy came on time and quickly got down to buisness. Needless to say, my 25 year old house did not have the right cables for the job. He had to run a 150 foot cable to the reciever in my yard. They said they would come and bury in a couple of days and I'm waiting. The guy was good and generally knew what was going on. He even helped us run a new cable through the basement wall to the comp room.

So far, the sevice has been great but I occasiomally get packet loss but see, to get within 70-100% of my advertised speed.

Even if you DO have other broadband options, get cable. It's fast and cheap.

member for 13.4 years, 102 visits, last login: 6.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by john44 See Profile

• Location: College Park,Prince Georges,MD
Good "It Works"
Bad "Tech Support VERY POOR, IF you actually get to a Tech."
Overall "I would recommend Comcast,"

ADSL is NOT available in our exchange area.
My husband and I were pleased AND releived about the whole thing.
1500/128; Cable Install was Ok (8PM-9:30PM); dynamic,
We are ex Northpoint customers, thru IBS (which was a great IPS, we could not afford their business rates to stay with them $125+/ month. They still have $768 of our "up-front" contract money, but it's tied up in the bankruptsy court.).
We had an easy install due to previous experiences. We were well prepared for the service and trouble. Bought an RCA modem and had a Router & Hub.
The ONLY real problem was the Mail and News. Tech support supplied the server addresses (1.5 hrs, hope we don't have any real problems) and we were good to go. ALL problems after that were solved on our own, including a complete reinstall of our Network..

DSL Reports was our next stop! LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!

As a matter of fact DSL Reports was our main source of research for all our information on availablity, reliability and trouble shooting, (BEFORE and after) . All the reveiws and DSL Reports recommendations guided us. Thanks to all.

It's been almost 2 months and am still jet cruising the Internet, Email and News.

Scooter
Scooter@scootersdesk.com
College Park, MD USA

member for 13.9 years, 212 visits, last login: 6.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by mcnels1 See Profile

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
Good "Quick install (especially compared to DSL)"
Bad "I can't access the support web site from work"
Overall "I hope I don't get bitten by another bankruptcy"

I used to have DSL access, but my original ISP went bankrupt (taking my installation fee which was supposed to be rebated), I switched ISPs, and then Northpoint (my CLEC) went bankrupt, leaving me without any service. Given the financial status of the other CLECs and that my ILEC is Verizon, I went without highspeed access for 5 months. Comcast finally started offering cable modem access to my neighborhood in July. There is a $9.95 intro rate for 3 months and then the service jumps to $39/month. I also pay $5/month to rent the cable modem and $5/month because I don't have cable TV.

Since I run a LAN behind a Linux firewall, I checked the Comcast and @Home web sites for technical information on compatibility, but of course they don't give any that I could find. Of course they only officially support Windows and Mac. The Linux cable modem howto gave enough info on service from @Home to lead me to believe that it would work, so I signed up.

Compared to DSL the intial wait time to install was very nice (12 days versus 6 weeks), and it took only one visit from the tech instead of two for DSL. I had the tech connect the cable modem (a 3Com shark fin; nice to know I have a discontinued product) to one of my internal Win98 machines, and then I switched it over to my firewall that evening. My IP address is dynamic, but fortunately it resolves against my hostname and not my MAC address, so I didn't have to swap NIC cards to get dhcpcd working on my firewall.

Uploaded speed (128) sucks compared to my old Northpoint SDSL (416/416), but then again download is better. So far I haven't seen better than 800 down. I guess I won't be hosting my own web site anymore (regardless of the fact that they don't allow it anyway).

I used the @Home support site to sign up for a second e-mail address for my wife. She didn't like the username I picked for her, so I tried to change it by accessing the support site from work, but I don't seem to be able to. So I'm guessing that you can only get there from inside the home.com domain. Not exactly optimal if I ever have a service interruption :-(.

I found out one thing that is kind of cool: apparently all cable UBRs (and don't ask me what UBR stands for; it is the computer/router one hop away) are NTP servers. So now I can easily have accurate time on my machines.

Having had service interruptions with DSL twice due to companies going bankrupt, I was thrilled to read about Excite@Home's financial problems yesterday. I just hope that Comcast has their act together if an ISP switch is required.

Comments:

Review by Jessica7 See Profile

• Location: Arlington,Arlington,VA
Good "Rocket fast (2500KBS up and 750KBS down) and inexpensive"
Bad "Gets slow on weekends and no static ip"
Overall "Great unless all your neighbors have it too--then it gets slow."

I ordered the standard cable modem internet access through Comcast@Home. I live in a new building, and although they told me that it was available, it was 3 weeks after the install before they could establish a connection. They said the problems connecting were a result of problems that they were having with the node, and once they got the problems fixed the service was flawless...UNTIL...3 or 4 months later when more people moved in and more people (presumably) signed up for the service. Now on evenings and weekends there is a noticable degradation in performance. This past weekend my speed dropped to 8KBS!!! Ack! I think their pipe to my building must be really jammed. I'm switching to DSL so that I can get a static IP (Comcast only provides dynamic addressing), but I think my switch may be just in time considering how quickly the service is slowing down. To be fair, the past couple of weekend and evening slow downs could be coincidental, but I doubt it.

Comments:

Review by kdawg9 See Profile

• Location: Manassas,Prince William,VA
Good "Quick install. Great connection. Unbelievable value."
Bad "None thus far with service. National office could be synched better with local offices."
Overall "I'm moving from 56K. What do you think? Hell yeah!"

None that I can actually get service, cable is awesome! For the past two years, I would receive fancy ad inserts in the mail, but the service was never available in my neighborhood. On Thursday, August 16TH, a flyer was left on my doorknob; advertising digital cable (don't need or want, DSS baby) and high-speed internet access. I faithfully called expecting a negative response once again, but I was cautiously surprised when told cable broadband was now available. Due to calling my local Comcast office at 11:12 PM, the earliest install window I could get was 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM, Saturday, August 18TH. The tech arrived at almost 11:00 AM (he didn't like that my DSS equipment was grounded to the cable wiring. But he explained how to do it properly. He has DSS.) After a 45 minute install (improper labeling on outside lines and he installed a couple of new jacks by my three computers), I was immediately up and running. And thus far, I have yet to experience any downtime in service. More than this, I couldn't beat the deal. No contract term. $49.95 a month. First two months at $9.95. Free install. Free RCA cable modem. And last, but not least, Static IP address! So far, I've only tested speed to the San Jose server, 796/196, but I'm moving from a 56K dialup, $40/month, and MSN, $19.95. I use wireless. The landline is only for internet. I'm ditching Verizon and MSN. A savings of $10 a month and $120 a year. Extremely happy?

Comments:

Review by ironweasel See Profile

• Location: Belen,Valencia,NM
Good "Able to still get Comcast at my new house."
Bad "Install tech gave me a used modem & was 1.5 hrs. late."
Overall "Still a great service after I first got it 4 years ago."

I've had Comcast for a while now...years actually. I had CHSI ever since it was first introduced in Albuquerque back in about 2001 or so. That was back in the day when it was "Comcast @Home".
Since then, I moved to a suburb of Albuquerque into somewhat of a "rural" area. To my surprise, Comcast was able to serve the new house.

The only bad part about the whole process was that the installer screwed up on two points:
1) Arrived an hour and a half after the 4 hour window was over. No attempt to contact us to make us aware of any delays was made.

2) Didn't have a new modem with him at the time, so even though we opted to rent a newer modem than the Surfboard 4100 I had, he gave us a 4 year old Webstar modem that had been dropped, scratched badly, and had a weird rattle in it.

Overall, I'm still happy with Comcast as I get TV & internet service through them.

member for 13.9 years, 4211 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dslreportsbriggs See Profile

• Location: Antioch,Davidson,TN
Good "HANG ON!"
Bad "Learn your own support..."
Overall "Cable rocks! Deal with it."

I would not call the customer/tech support a member service, for it
contradicts the meaning of the word service. I am completely pleased with
the speed and it has been reliable, completely even. But, most any place
you call anymore (with exception) lacks professional customer service.
Other than that, cable is the best thing since sliced bread. It falls into
a class with Windows and Pentium Processors - a GREAT discovery!!

Ben

Comments:

Review by radair6 See Profile

• Location: Lancaster,Lancaster,PA
Good "Speed and use of installation"
Bad "qualification problems"
Overall "if it's available get it!"

My quest for Comcast@Home began a week ago. During this week my calls to the 800 number were rather interesting. I was told everything from it will be available in 2 months to it was in beta testing to any day now. Well finally I made the call and it was available. I went out and bought the modem and self install kit, 20 minutes later I was online getting 3 meg downloads. This service is great. You should definatly getit if it's available. Much better then the Verizon DSL in the area that I just got rid of.