Review by xanth825 See Profile

• Location: Arlington,Arlington,VA
Good "good speed (down) incredibly fast setup"
Bad "email just too confusing"
Overall "really good for downloading, not uploading"

I ordered Comcast cable @ home tuesday night. the customer service answer immidatly and are nice and helpful. the Cable guy came at 12 PM the very next day, yes i got cable less then 24 hours after ordering, it amazing IMO.

The technichian took about 2 hours, i guess he was having some trouble with lines outside my house but eventually got everything working.

The first day of speed testing the Speed was 500 down 100 up. the next day i morning i got 3000 down and 800 up but now (bout 36 hours after getting it) im usually at 2000-3000 down and 5-15 up, i think the upload speed is just temporary (i hope). because of the slow upload speed i cant recomend it for gaming but i did get a max of 800 up the second day so im not sure whats going on with that.

My friend has the exact same internet as me and gets about 4000 down and 1000 up, he said the speed was a little unstabble at first but after about a week he got to the max.

The software is another issue though, the email uses outlook express, which (for me) has to use hotmail, so im just using hotmail right now. there arent to many features about the broswer (which you have to downloaded separtly) that capture my interest so i just use internet explorer.

all in all im very pleased with it and just hope the upload speed increasese with time.

Comments:

Review by shobaffum See Profile

• Location: New Haven,New Haven,CT
Good "Technician was prompt, 3 months free."
Bad "Documentation not thorough enough for a geek like me"
Overall "Beats the hell out of 56k"

Called to order Comcast @Home service on a Friday night (it finally became availabe in my area). They were ready to schedule an installation the following Monday morning! I settled on Wednesday afternoon - they had to send out a tech because I don't have cable TV service.

Tech ran cable through basement, up the wall, etc. Unfamiliar with Macs, but to his credit he hung in there and asked me for help at times. Installation took about an hour total.

The hardest part was getting my software router working. I use IPNetRouter and ended up having to disable the firewall so that the rest of my computers had net access. Occasionally all computers except the gateway lose their connection until I load a new web page on the gateway machine.

Ordered 1.5 MB/ 128 KB dynamic IP, $50/month with modem rental. I'm getting 1.5-3 MB/128 KB.

Comments:

Review by soriold See Profile

• Location: Hollywood,Broward,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
  • CLEC party: BellSouth
Good "Good pre-sales information, friendly, no horrible hold-times"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Would definitely go for it again..."

I live in Hollywood, FL and the CO is approx. 15,000 feet away from my apartment which didn't give me too much hope for a somewhat decent speed. Before I moved to Florida I used to live in Brooklyn, NY (Zip 11222) where I had Earthlink which was simply great (except for the long, long (45 Minutes) hold-times when calling tech. support. Unfortunately Earthlink didn't offer service at the place I moved to and it seemed that BellSouth was the only provider I could get which didn't leave me any choice. After approx. 10 days I received my installation kit which I installed immediately and the only problem seemed to be my Westell Wirespped modem from Earthlink which I was allowed to keep. After a few hours of researching (PPPOE, etc.) I figured out what I had to do (no support from BellSouth at all which is cool since it is not their modem). I downloaded RASPPPOE as my PPPOE software (free!!!), had to unistall Zonealarm and was ready to go. First speed test showed 1,024 down and 240 up (!!!!!!!!!!!) which I couldn't believe given the fact that I'm 15,000 feet away from the CO. KICK ASS!!!! Other speed-tests thereafter showed 1,015 down/234 up and 860 down/180 up.... NO complaints so far!!!!!

member for 13.9 years, 116 visits, last login: 3.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by Waymond See Profile

• Location: Buttzville,Warren,NJ
Good "Fast downloads, sure beats 56k"
Bad "One-way telco return"
Overall "If you want broadband in my area its your only choice."

The download speed is great, Im just disapointed in that its not two-way.

When I ordered the service I was told that it would become two-way within a few months after they finished upgrading all the lines. So I figured I could deal wth using the phone lines for a few more months, well close to a year later Im still using telco return.

It really wouldnt piss me off as much if there was an update every once and a while showing what they have done, if they have even started. everytime I call its the same thing, No Estimated Time of Completion.

That and the fact that im paying 40.00(plus 10.00 for not being a comcast customer) for an incomplete service, because its not ALWAYS on (which I was just reminded of because the connection dropped as I was typing this), and I still have to pay for an extra phone line.

You would think they would drop the price a little for the fact you have to pay for an extra line untill they have the two-way service complete.

Comments:

Review by chasmp See Profile

• Location: Rockville,Montgomery,MD
Good "quick set up, good speeds"
Bad "can't get my email to work"
Overall "so far, s'allright"

After waiting 2 years for any type of broadband, I'm glad that I didn't get sucked into a slower (available) 1-year DSL committment.

Having had bad experiences with the local cable company that Comcast bought out, and in many ways not seeing any improvement, I was leary of what quality they'd be able to provide. However, I was sick of dial-up and with a month-to-month obligation, what the heck. I only had to wait for about 5 days from ordering to having a technician come to the house and set me up. He replaced the existing old coax in the house and I was up and running in very little time.

I'm one of the first in my neighborhood to have this so I haven't experienced the overcrowding of the node yet. I figure that by the time it does get crowded, RCN will be available and either the competition will force comcast@home to up/maintain their quality or I'll jump to RCN.

member for 13.9 years, 653 visits, last login: 4.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by enragedcow See Profile

• Location: Ypsilanti,Washtenaw,MI
Good "Great install time, easy configuration, AWESOME speed!"
Bad "Fairly long hold times, but what can you expect?"
Overall "Wouldn't want to be without it again!"

I used to use Ameritech DSL here in Ypsilanti Michigan... what a joke!!! It took FOREVER for them to install, we had countless problems. it was a nightmare! Thus, when I changed apartments, I happily bid farewell to DSL and decided to try cable.

The ordering process was rather cumbersome, I have to admit. Because of all the cable company aquisitions/mergers, trying to figure out who serviced my area was difficult to say the least! Beleive it or not, I finally got to the website I needed by FIRST going to Mediaone.net, which linked me to ATT broadband, which linked me to Comcast.com, which linked me back to Mediaone.net and FINALLY back to comcast.com.... it was nuts.

Anyways, I ordered to cable quick because after the DSL fiasco i thought it would take forever to install. I placed my order, and to my shock the operator gave me a list of times for me to choose for install, and they could have installed within 3 days!!! Anyways, I ended up scheduling for a week later, from 11-3 on saturday.

11 came, and right on the dot the installer came. Very quick, friendly, and knowledgeable. He even helped me with my router

Speed is awesome, much better than DSL. All in all, I can't complain!! Comcast broadband rocks!!!

Comments:

Review by Viperhawk See Profile

• Location: Flint,Genesee,MI
Good "After about 10 months.... mostly good!"
Bad "As with every cable, slow downs during peak usage hours."
Overall "No real complaints, plus an unexpected goody (see review)."

I signed up during a back to school special (no, you didn't have to be a student or even have kids.

Free installation, free modem (can be bought for a reduction in the monthly bill).

And the 1st, 3 months were only 19.95. NOTE: When you call (if you aren't in a hurry) ask for when they will have specials running and tell them you are thinking about DSL as well ( sometimes they will give "sign up" incentives).

One unexpected goody was, as I allready had "basic Cable", the 39.95 a month price I was quoted for cable + my monthly basic fee of 11.00 something (at the time), turned out to be a total of $36 something for both services (cost as of last months bill).

Installation was as promised and took aprox. 1 hour.

Although there have been some loss of cable and 3 or 4 mail outtages (never more than a day. I sitll have to rate Comcast as a "must have" and "top value" at least in the Flint Mi. area.

Other cities may have slower speeds, it depends on number of users, or limits, but my average speed comes in at whatever the server I'm downloading from, I have hit speeds of 1000 to 42000 kbps off hours from servers like MS and Symanyec.

Tech.Supp....No problems just a couple of cable outages (their system takes a while for new outages to show up, but all problems were out side my home, not my hardware.

The only real gripe is that I have a fixed IP (have a good firewall handy

Comments:

Review by Mr B See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "A reliable, fast and trouble free service consolidated wih cable TV"
Bad "No warning for planned outages or service changes."
Overall "Well worth the time and money. Generally a positive experience."

My new home was prewired for cable, so the choice of Comcast@home was an easy one. I still consider myself on a test run, but the prospects look good for continuing the service. Cable internet access is in great demand around here so the wait for installation was long. My personal problem was a lack of a cable line directly to the house. It took three tries, one week each, to coordinate the outside linemen and the inside modem installer. These guys are great but since they are independent contractors, if something is not right they cut and run. Time is money.

There is usually a steady signal (with the exception of an odd 5 day outage for "upgrades"). Recent experience includes poor communication about planned outages and service changes. For example, service is periodically suspended and upload speed was suddenly capped at 128K without notification. I still can recommend Comcast@home . It seems a bit pricey but it is essential to my work and it is well coordinated with my cable TV service.

4 Stars

member for 13.1 years, 192 visits, last login: 5.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by karmann See Profile

• Location: Knoxville,Knox,TN
Good "Fast, very fast, good routing"
Bad "Comcast office & install company need to be on the same page."
Overall "Excellent service"

Called on Tuesday and asked about getting service. Asked about installation costs and monthly costs. Was told two incorrect pieces of information. a) The $59 install DOES NOT really include a "wall fish" ($32 more) and b) The cable modem installer does not hook up Cable TV as well (I ordered the $7 local broadcast only service to save the extra $3/month - $39.95 w/cable TV - $49.95 w/o cable TV). The latter is obviously no big deal as the Cable modem installer did hook up the Cable TV he just didn't setup the limited service. They have to come back later for that. The former however just ticks me off as I specifically asked the question and was told "Yes, the install of one inside cable drop is included in that price. Yes, WHATEVER IT TAKES. Through the ceiling, wall, floor whatever." Paraphrasing of course but you get the point.

The installer has serious punctuality issues as well. Scheduled for Thursday between 12-4. Came by at 1:40 and knocked (as in didn't ring the doorbell). The dogs didn't even hear him (and go NUTS with barking). Left note and drove off. Four phone calls later managed to get the scoop and was told he'd be by that night. Called at 5pm to say he'd be there around 7. Showed up at 8:30pm! Started thunderstorming so I agree to 8-9am Friday morning (I heard his boss tell him the time over his radio). Calls the next morning at 8:55 to say he's on his way. Shows up at 11:30am! Admits later that his boss had to come to his house to wake him up. Install done in about 2 hours. Nice enough guy just needs more caffeine or something.

I wouldn't let him touch my computer for that part of the install. I had it working in about 2 minutes from the time he hooked up the modem. He was going to all the wrong places to get it working in Win2KPro. Short call to tech support to get my default email password and I was up completely.

Gaming pings range from 45ms (Atlanta) to 110ms (Rochester NY). I'm throughly impressed and it's $3/month cheaper than my 128 ISDN. This service is awesome and so far I'd recommend it to anyone.

EDIT (8/17/01):

About 4 weeks ago my ping and bandwidth starting going to hell at around 9pm every night. During the day I ping as low as 85ms to Rochester, NY. By 9:30pm I'm pinging around 275ms. A tracert has indicated that I'm pinging about 250 to my 3rd hop in Nashville. A friend that works in their Nashville operations center has confirmed that this is an issue local to Knoxville. 3 weeks have gone by since I filed a trouble ticket with tech support. No emails, no response at all. If you have DSL or even ISDN and you're a gamer I would definitely not recommend switching to Comcast right now. Hopefully they will fix the problem but I'm not holding my breath.

EDIT (8/31/01):

To answer both your questions... I didn't want to change my overall ranking until/if I heard back from them. It hit my overall bandwidth and therefore my ping. I would sometimes get 400Kb download speeds during the day. This would drop to 25Kb during peak hours. The lowest I ever saw it go was 3.2Kb. Yes... 56K speeds. That friend in Nashville told me who to talk to and what to say here in Knoxville. I ended up calling the Head End Technician on Sharp's Ridge. He was not very happy that I tracked down his phone number but he did pass my problem along to the local repair guys. As it turns out Knoxville only had one DS3 (about 30 T1s) for all of Knoxville and Oak Ridge (5300 subscribers). They just installed a second DS3 (as of 8/30/01) that has solved my problems. Pings are back to how they were in July. I'm glad I didn't hold my breath but I'm very impressed that they spent that much cash to double their bandwidth. Let's just hope that next time they see this coming and increase it again before it becomes a problem. From what I hear not only did the ticket that I filed with @Home several weeks ago get their attention but the calls I placed to the Head End tech and local repair numbers got their attention. Overall I'm impressed. Not at all the horror stories I'd heard from friends online that had to switch back to ISDN because their cable got bad and never got fixed. Given this, I have boosted all my opinion rankings of them.

Comments:

Review by dpy See Profile

• Location: Rockville,Montgomery,MD
Good "Fast Service, Good Price, Cable Modem Rebate"
Bad "Some line packet loss, sometimes slow ping times"
Overall "I've had both SDSL and Cable. Let me tell you, nothing beats cable for the price"

I used to have SDSL with PSN and it was horrible. High ping times, packet loss, etc... That was last october. I was not able to switch ISPs because after PSN went bankrupt, Northpoint screwed up my Line and well, you can imagine the rest.

Anyway, I had been trying to get Cable (xDsl was not available for me) becuase I play LOTS of online games. I need low latency. Comcat juset became available. I called them and they said yes it was avaible. Finally, after a year of being broadband-less, I finally got it. They scheduled the installation date for the 30th. The guy came on time and quickly got down to buisness. Needless to say, my 25 year old house did not have the right cables for the job. He had to run a 150 foot cable to the reciever in my yard. They said they would come and bury in a couple of days and I'm waiting. The guy was good and generally knew what was going on. He even helped us run a new cable through the basement wall to the comp room.

So far, the sevice has been great but I occasiomally get packet loss but see, to get within 70-100% of my advertised speed.

Even if you DO have other broadband options, get cable. It's fast and cheap.

member for 13.6 years, 102 visits, last login: 6.8 years ago