Review by awax See Profile

• Location: Little Rock,Pulaski,AR
Good "Fast Download, good pings, free for three months"
Bad "Upload speed sucks BAD! Tech Support has"
Overall "If you don't need to upload alot then its great."

I ordered Comcast@Home on October 31 they were running the 49.95 install and three free months so why not try it before I sign a 12 month DSl contract with Southwestern Bell. The rep said they could have an installer our on Sat. Nov.3, ok great just a couple of days ok. Well sat. rolls around and I'm all primed for Internet, I have been traped on a dialup since I moved in late October and I am used to a DS3 at work, install time comes and goes. I get a call from Comcast about 3 hrs after my scheduled time saying that the installer could come out but the access wouldn't work untill Monday because I haven't been provisioned yet. So he comes out hooks up the modem and checks the signal and leaves, I have all green but no ip. Monday is here and I call Comcast and get my computer name and IP, boom we are on. I come back home from work on Monday evening and my access does not work, check everything on my LAN and my router can not obtain an IP, so i call @home tech support explain the problem and get told everything from "your signal is bad to they don't work behind Linksys routers," I get escalated and after an hour the "only" knowledgeble tech there finds out that my access is disable because of an invalid MAC address and serial # for my modem, he takes down the info and says I should be ok in 24 hrs. I calll back in 36 hrs and give them the ticket number and they have no idea what i am talking about and want to go through settings, i get escalated again and i am told it hasn't been fixed yet, this goes on untill Sunday November 10 and now it works. For my trouble they are giving me Free Install for being late and an extra month of free service, so I am happy now. As far as speed 1750k down and only 100k up. Yes I would love to upload faster, especially for IRC but this will work.

member for 14.2 years, 1066 visits, last login: 3.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by TShaggs See Profile

• Location: Devon,Chester,PA
Good "EXTREMELY fast response; ALWAYS up; FAST for $$$"
Bad "Software not supported for WinXP, but really... how much is at this point??? Besides, don't use the software much anyway."
Overall "If you live in a Comcast@Home area, GET IT! It rocks."

I moved into an area where one cable co (Adelphia) was bought out by Comcast Cable. Adelphia once offered cable internet service, but stopped once Comcast officially took over my service area. I had to wait until Comcast properly converted every Adelphia account to Comcast and upgraded any applicable areas (mine) to their higher-bandwidth cable system... this took from June-November (they originally stated it would be in October... not a bad estimate)

I got a call on a Friday that the service was available in my area, and I could now order service. After going from Telocity (DirectTV) DSL - they suck, BTW - to 56K dialup through NetZero, I at least appreciated the 50% uptime DSL used to give me through Telocity. I think I told the Comcast representative who contaced me once the service was available for my residence that I loved her. And now I know why!

She scheduled my appointment for installation (FREE) for the following Monday, and though the cable rep came at the last possible moment in my "service window", it took him less than 20 minutes to test the line, run extra cable to where I wanted the modem, and connect. Fast. Efficient.

The next 15 minutes he stayed to ensure that I could get connection through my router (to enable the service through my home network), even though Comcast will generally not support a home network, as it is the cutomer's responsibility. He was more than patient to ensure I could finally get a webpage to display through my 2 WinXP boxes connected through the router.

All in all, I love Comcast. They may make me use a cable box for my premium cable TV, but their @Home service is second to none!

ORDER DETAILS: * $39.95 + $5 (for modem rental)/mo

* FREE installation (they will send you a kit if you want instead)

* FREE 1st two months of service (still must pay $5 rental charge)

* @Home Software Included (modified IE 5.0/Helpful programs/etc) - didn't use but good for novice internet user.

Month-month contract, no termination fees.

* Static IP, multiple emails addy's.

Comments:

Review by Jovial2121 See Profile

• Location: Gaithersburg,Montgomery,MD
Good "Outages have been few and far between."
Bad "Area is oversold, but they are working hard on it."
Overall "If you have 56k and don't care about ping times, this is MUCH better."

I have had Comcast@Home for about 8 months now. About 2 months ago, something happened. During peak TV times, pings were from 600 to 1000+ and download speeds were a couple of times fast than 56k. I had complained to many individuals and had even printed reports from here (Thanks DSLReports.com!) to show them what the EXACT problem was. After a tech came to my house, they scheduled a call for the connections leading into my area. Nothing there. They finally (I assume) traced it back to the initial router into the Gaithersburg area. As of Sunday, November 11, all is back to normal and my connection appears to be stable once more. Service is supposed to be 1500/400 with a static reservation but I am getting much more than this! I do not want to jump the gun, so keep reading the groups here. I did receive 18 months of coupons for all the calls and performance issue iI had been through. The contracted technician that came to my house was very nice and prompt (early actually) and even saw this sight as I performed the tests for him (and was genuinely interested!). The phone people are just that, phone people. There is only so much tech support you can get over the phone. For now reliablility will stay a 2 until I trust the connection once again. Although I do trust it will always be there (thus the 5 for DNS, Mail, News). If things persist in looking good, COMCAST@home will be king in Montgomery County once more!

Comments:

Review by DawsonPrime$ See Profile

• Location: Crouch End
Good "Connection is very reliable"
Bad "Tech Support could be better"
Overall "Works great, good speed. Little or no problems."

Ordered the service on March 2 2001, installer showed on March 4 (On Time). After install, installer could not get my computer to connect to the internet. He worked on it for more than 2 hours. He left and said he would schedule someone for the next day to look at it. Next day no one showed. I decided to look at it. All settings seemed fine. Decided it was the Network Card. Moved the card to another slot and VOILA it worked. Called and told them not to bother sending anyone else and to not charge me for install (since I had to do it). They said that was fine and apologized. Have had the service for 8 months with only one down time, and that lasted only for 3 hours. Advertised speed is 3 Mbits. Speeds were in excess of 5 Mbits for the first 6 months. The last 2 months have had speeds of 2 to 2.5 Mbits. I have a RCA Cable Modem with a static IP. Service is $39.95 a month.

member for 13.7 years, 885 visits, last login: 12.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by bubbasbase See Profile

• Location: Bayville,Ocean,NJ
Good "Much better than Dial Up"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Great Service so far"

A Little slow getting my start up kit, but mostly just impatient, about a week.

Called at night for activation after self installed Cable Modem (Toshiba and LinkSys Router), had to wait until next day for activation.

Set up with just Cable Modem first and work great, took about 30 minutes and 2 tries to get the Linksys Router working properly. Man the speed was much better than dial up. I immediately tested got 485 upload and 84 download. The only problem after that was trying to get Outlook setup with an outgoing SMTP server for outside Comcast e-mail. Comcast Tech support was very helpful and gave me the accurate SMTP server even though they said they do not support Outlook 2000 only outlook express.

Overall very satisfied with the new service...

Comments:

Review by bortnits See Profile

• Location: Odenton,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "Realiable connection at least so far...."
Bad "No cordination between different departments within Comcast"
Overall "About what I expected"

I have had Comcast internet service for about a month now. I called on a Wednesday and they said they could be there Saturday to install it. The only reason I wanted the professional install (Other than it being 20 bucks) was because I wanted to have an extra jack wired in the room that would house the computer. I called twice to verify with them that I needed a whole new outlet added and they assured me that it was in the order. On the day of the install they showed up on time and of course the technician who came out said he knew nothing of the extra outlet needed. I told him I called twice to make sure they new. His response was uh I didn't get it and I can't do that. I was very annoyed about that because that is the only reason I wanted the professional install. Needless to say he ran the cable around the corner, 5 minutes and it was done. I did not let him touch my computer I asked for the IP settings and mail settings and did it myself while he looked over my shoulder. The Technician did not seem to know much about computers or networking because he preceded to tell me that I could not use Outlook XP to access my mail because he said they use Outlook Express. I then had to explain to the idiot why he did not know what he was talking about. He then told me "well that is what I was told by our tech department and they are computer experts". He stopped moaning and groaning when I told him that I am a Network Administrator and that I probably know more than any Comcast tech would ever know...

As far as performance it is about what I expected. From 7-10 at night Monday-Thursday I get about 200-250 Kbps during peak times. On weekends and off peak times I get up to 1 Mbps with burst up to 2Mbps. The upload speeds are pretty sad about 80-90 Kbps but I do not care that much about upload. I am not an email fanatic or gamer...

member for 13.1 years, 19 visits, last login: 12.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by xanth825 See Profile

• Location: Arlington,Arlington,VA
Good "good speed (down) incredibly fast setup"
Bad "email just too confusing"
Overall "really good for downloading, not uploading"

I ordered Comcast cable @ home tuesday night. the customer service answer immidatly and are nice and helpful. the Cable guy came at 12 PM the very next day, yes i got cable less then 24 hours after ordering, it amazing IMO.

The technichian took about 2 hours, i guess he was having some trouble with lines outside my house but eventually got everything working.

The first day of speed testing the Speed was 500 down 100 up. the next day i morning i got 3000 down and 800 up but now (bout 36 hours after getting it) im usually at 2000-3000 down and 5-15 up, i think the upload speed is just temporary (i hope). because of the slow upload speed i cant recomend it for gaming but i did get a max of 800 up the second day so im not sure whats going on with that.

My friend has the exact same internet as me and gets about 4000 down and 1000 up, he said the speed was a little unstabble at first but after about a week he got to the max.

The software is another issue though, the email uses outlook express, which (for me) has to use hotmail, so im just using hotmail right now. there arent to many features about the broswer (which you have to downloaded separtly) that capture my interest so i just use internet explorer.

all in all im very pleased with it and just hope the upload speed increasese with time.

member for 13.2 years, 18 visits, last login: 13.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by shobaffum See Profile

• Location: New Haven,New Haven,CT
Good "Technician was prompt, 3 months free."
Bad "Documentation not thorough enough for a geek like me"
Overall "Beats the hell out of 56k"

Called to order Comcast @Home service on a Friday night (it finally became availabe in my area). They were ready to schedule an installation the following Monday morning! I settled on Wednesday afternoon - they had to send out a tech because I don't have cable TV service.

Tech ran cable through basement, up the wall, etc. Unfamiliar with Macs, but to his credit he hung in there and asked me for help at times. Installation took about an hour total.

The hardest part was getting my software router working. I use IPNetRouter and ended up having to disable the firewall so that the rest of my computers had net access. Occasionally all computers except the gateway lose their connection until I load a new web page on the gateway machine.

Ordered 1.5 MB/ 128 KB dynamic IP, $50/month with modem rental. I'm getting 1.5-3 MB/128 KB.

Comments:

Review by soriold See Profile

• Location: Hollywood,Broward,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
  • CLEC party: BellSouth
Good "Good pre-sales information, friendly, no horrible hold-times"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Would definitely go for it again..."

I live in Hollywood, FL and the CO is approx. 15,000 feet away from my apartment which didn't give me too much hope for a somewhat decent speed. Before I moved to Florida I used to live in Brooklyn, NY (Zip 11222) where I had Earthlink which was simply great (except for the long, long (45 Minutes) hold-times when calling tech. support. Unfortunately Earthlink didn't offer service at the place I moved to and it seemed that BellSouth was the only provider I could get which didn't leave me any choice. After approx. 10 days I received my installation kit which I installed immediately and the only problem seemed to be my Westell Wirespped modem from Earthlink which I was allowed to keep. After a few hours of researching (PPPOE, etc.) I figured out what I had to do (no support from BellSouth at all which is cool since it is not their modem). I downloaded RASPPPOE as my PPPOE software (free!!!), had to unistall Zonealarm and was ready to go. First speed test showed 1,024 down and 240 up (!!!!!!!!!!!) which I couldn't believe given the fact that I'm 15,000 feet away from the CO. KICK ASS!!!! Other speed-tests thereafter showed 1,015 down/234 up and 860 down/180 up.... NO complaints so far!!!!!

member for 14.1 years, 116 visits, last login: 3.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by Waymond See Profile

• Location: Buttzville,Warren,NJ
Good "Fast downloads, sure beats 56k"
Bad "One-way telco return"
Overall "If you want broadband in my area its your only choice."

The download speed is great, Im just disapointed in that its not two-way.

When I ordered the service I was told that it would become two-way within a few months after they finished upgrading all the lines. So I figured I could deal wth using the phone lines for a few more months, well close to a year later Im still using telco return.

It really wouldnt piss me off as much if there was an update every once and a while showing what they have done, if they have even started. everytime I call its the same thing, No Estimated Time of Completion.

That and the fact that im paying 40.00(plus 10.00 for not being a comcast customer) for an incomplete service, because its not ALWAYS on (which I was just reminded of because the connection dropped as I was typing this), and I still have to pay for an extra phone line.

You would think they would drop the price a little for the fact you have to pay for an extra line untill they have the two-way service complete.

member for 14.1 years, 946 visits, last login: 1.5 years ago