Review by neufuse See Profile

• Location: Indiana,Indiana,PA
Good "Fast, limited outages"
Bad "Service calls sometimes are horrible"
Overall "Pretty good for the price"

Cable always seemed to have good uptime, very rarely have outages, only on upgrade nights which happens very late at night usually, or when a line is down somewhere... sometimes hard to get support for or convince them there is a problem... took 4 months to get a signal problem fixed when they kept claiming its in our house, turned out it was a deterorating fiber cable outside somewhere...

member for 7.6 years, 858 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by tim See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "It's fast."
Bad "Service is spotty once in a great while."
Overall "If available, Comcast is the best bang for your buck."

Update 5/14: Switched to AT&T U-Verse in a cost-cutting effort. Service was top notch, but I couldn't justify Comcast's bundle pricing.

Update 3/4/14: 4 years later, I'm still rocking with Comcast. No complaints at all, I am able to max out my 105mbit/sec service with ease. Current equipment consists of a Motorola SB6141, and an ASUS RT-AC66U.

Update 6/25/10: Still have Comcast. Reliability has gotten much better lately, but quite a few people have moved out of the neighborhood, so that's probably got something to do with it. Current equipment: Motorola SB6120, Linksys WRVS4400N.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------

I've had Comcast's HSI since August of 2007 (had AT&T DSL before that), and from my experience over this time, they're the best ISP for the price. Can't beat $42.95 a month for 12mbit service.

Installed the service myself, so there were no issues with the install process. Comcast supplied a Motorola SB5120 modem, which was great, but I replaced it with a Linksys BEFCMU10.

The only time that I've actually had issues with the service is when I switched to Comcast's "Home Networking" service (bad idea, btw), and my connection dropped constantly. Switched back to the Motorola + a WRT54G, and the problem was solved. Disconnected service in March 09 for DSL Extreme service.

Back on Comcast after 9 months of DSL Extreme. Using an SB6120 on the 22/5 plan. Speed is great, I'm able to get my full 22/5.

Comments:
Together
join:2012-05-23

Comcast Business Gateway - Double NATs Traffic even in Passthrough mode

Double NATing can cause issues for VPNs, Servers etc.

I really thought that Comcast Business grade service would eventually fix this, but it actually seems to have gotten worse with the newest Netgear CG3000DCR Gateway modems. Even with the purchase of a static IP there is now effectively no way to turn off NAT on outgoing traffic. Their so called Passthrough [Fake Bridge] mode configuration still has a 2nd hop on the modem's in-official LAN GW [10.1.10.1]. So when you tracert out of your network it looks like this:

1 192.168.x.1
2 10.1.10.1
3 [Your WAN IP GW]

Tier2 support confirmed they cannot fix it, effectively meaning there is no way to completely turn off NAT on outing traffic. Support also informed me that they will be switching to the Cisco DPC3939B Gateways, which have built-in Wireless. I'm crossing my fingers that the Cisco devices will have a better fake bridge mode, but knowing Comcast what's more likely is that it will be impossible to completely turn off the Wireless.

Perversely, you can still get real bridge mode if you buy you're own cable modem; But it only works with dynamic IPs.

tim
join:2005-06-07
Chicago, IL

Re: Comcast Business Gateway - Double NATs Traffic even in Passthrough mode

Yep, I've seen the same problem on business deployments. It's best to ask for one of the SMC D3G gateways, they do not have this issue.

Review by kraazy See Profile

• Location: Salem,Marion,OR
Good "6"

digital phone

57mb download / 12mb upload

Arris TG862G Wireless modem/router / digital phone adapter / battery backup

Comments:

Review by QLR See Profile

• Location: Tallahassee,Leon,FL
Good "Decent speeds, timely set-up, no landline needed, less buffering, ESPN3, billing"
Bad "Inept CSRs. Don't call in if you don't have to."
Overall "In the battle of the C's, Comcast wins. And surprisingly, it's cheaper!!!!"

I had CenturyLink/Embarq for 18 months... I was happy for the most part, but I was getting annoyed by the constant buffering and some dropped connections (?); sometimes, I would have to enter a URL multiple times. Also, the 404 opt-out service never worked for me. Slightly annoying. I wanted to up my speed but CenturyLink tops out at 3.0M DSL in my area.

I switched to Comcast when I received a telemarketing call about switching my landline... I declined the landline, but I decided to take the internet offer: 8/1 internet for $33 for 6 months and after that $56. There is no contract. After receiving my bill today, I realized that my 8/1 internet is called Performance Plus and is 16/2 (either I am getting ripped? or the offers aren't up to date with Telesales). I get between 6 and 8M down and between 2 and 3M up on the Comcast Speed test site; On DSLR, I often get between 12 and 15 down and 2 and 3M up. So I am likely getting what I am paying for. Ordering was simple enough... they could have been out the very next day, but I scheduled the tech to come out on Saturday since I work during the week. The subcontractor came out as scheduled and all went well.

I am using a Motorola SB5100 modem and all seems well so far... although I am irked by the lack of a reset/power button. There is only a standby button.

The only glaring problem I had was connecting a new Cisco N router to my computer/cable modem. After several hours of headaches, I switched back to my old Netgear G router... Got a Netgear N router and all went well. I think I saw a post or something stating that Comcast + Cisco is a no-no.

Fortunately, I haven't had to call tech support and I hope it stays that way.

All in all, if Comcast is available without a mandatory contract, get it. Also, I am enjoying ESPN3 (formerly ESPN360)... this is something I could not access when I had CenturyLink/Embarq.

UPDATED 3/28/11 I am at the 12 month mark with Comcast HSI and it has been a breeze mostly. Hating the high price ($48 for 12/2), but my only alternative is DSL with CenturyLink and to my surprise, they have hiked prices and I qualify for only 1.5M max. So I will stick with Comcast.

UPDATE 4/5/12 I just upgraded my internet as a result of the recent price hikes. I decided to bundle my internet and cable via the Blast Plus plan, featuring Digital Economy cable and Blast internet. Via the online chat, the bundle is $40 for months 1-6, $60 for months 7-12 and regular price (currently $80) after that. Still a happy camper with Comcast. OTOH, CenturyLink wants $50 for 1.5M/768K dry loop DSL. So, I will have Comcast for the time being. I bought my SB6120 modem back in July and I am glad I did. It will pay off in 4 more months

UPDATE 6/26/13 Still on Comcast. I received a notification a couple of months back stating that I was getting too many channels on the digital economy tier. I, unfortunately, was hooked on one of the channels not on the economy tier. I initially tried to keep the Blast internet and simply tried to upgrade the TV plan. I was unable to find a suitable pack so I ended up downgrading the internet to Performance (ewww. I miss Blast) and taking that phone as part of the Starter XF triple play ($99/month for 12 months). I still miss the speed of Blast... I have had some slowdowns on Performance. Phone seems ok enough, don't expect a lot of use on it; but hate there isnt a battery shipped with the phone modem.

UPDATE 7/25/13 I was able to get Blast as an add on to my triple play package for $10 more per month as suggested by the respondents to my review. And it is really the champ! However, I am tired of the nickel and diming... $2.99 to make changes to your account?!?!!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? The phone quality is mediocre.

UPDATE 5/10/14 The internet is AWESOME as always. I was paying $10 extra for the Blast add on, which became an Extreme 105 connection. My 12 month promo ended last week, and I actually upgraded the TV plan, and dropped the Extreme 105 add on. Net result is that I am paying a few dollars more than before. Phone is ok, Video is fine, despite the rocky week with the DVR. Checked with CenturyLink, still only qualify for 1.5Mbps... this neighborhood will likely not see improved speeds nor Prism.

Comments:

user2

@comcast.net

Comcast

For $10 extra per month you can add on Blast!.

Re: Comcast

I will have to check into that.

May have to look for a router that can handle the speed as well... My Belkin and Cisco routers top out at 25m for some reason

GiantJack

@comcast.net

SB5100

It will help if you upgrade the modem from a Docsis 2.0 modem to a Docsis 3.0 modem. Docsis 2.0 tops out @ abt 25mbs(megabits/sec), Docsis 3.0 modems can top out @ abt 103-105 mbs. Sort of like swapping out a 4 cylinder engine for a 6

Re: SB5100

I neglected to update the original review completely. I am using an Arris 822 phone modem... And I was using a Motorola 6120 when I had Blast. Comcast wouldn't allow users to have non D3 modems on blast.

DELETE Dup post

Review by ArkhmAsylm See Profile

• Location: Saint Paul,Ramsey,MN
Good "Much faster than Qwest DSL"
Bad "Techs always push to replace modem when trouble calls (seldom)"
Overall "Dynamite speeds and good reliability"

- (Original review - approximately 12/2005 - Cost $42.95) I was wary of switching from my long-held Qwest DSL service (672/256 $37) because Comcast didn't provide a 'dedicated line', but in testing my in-law's Comcast connection over a period of time I found that the connection was consistent & that the pipe was big! Few disruptions w/Comcast in my first year with nothing to differentiate from my Qwest connection...but SPEED. My test speeds are near the top of the results charts, but I don't believe for a second that (even w/PowerBoost) my 6000/384 connection is providing me with a 30Mb equivalence. Let's just say that I think I'm getting my money's worth.

NOTE: I bought my own SB5120 and opted for the self-install. Initially, the service did crap out a lot and there were several outages. After a few phone calls I finally scheduled a tech visit and he spent several hours testing and making calls, finally ending up installing a 6 DB attenuator at my modem and a 3 DB at the drop from the pole. From that point on is where my review begins.

- UPDATE #1 (approx. 5/2007 - Cost approx. $43.95) - After a year and a half, things are pretty much as before. While I have seen the connection upgraded to 6M/1M, I seem to have lost Power Boost on the up-side. Still showing 30M/1M on the tests, but I find that the median download is 8M, at best. The connection is sometimes flaky, not unlike the customer service folks. Thankfully, I've not had to call them in a while!

- UPDATE #2 (approx. 8/2010 - Cost approx. $46 for the Performance tier) - Everything remains copacetic. The connection pretty much seems to always be there with not too many slow downs. They are raising their rates (by a dollar or two) for the first time since signing on - I wish I could take solace in that, but knowing that their costs for providing the service are likely going down tends to eat at you. STILL NEED SOME COMPETITION!! (You get that, FCC??)

- UPDATE #3 (5/9/2014 - Cost $10 for one year, thereafter $63.95 for the BLAST tier) - Since my last review, speeds were upgraded several times (12M/2M, 20M/4M, 25M/5M) and the price of the service was up to $53.95. The service had been largely trouble free since the last review, but speed testing had revealed speeds to be getting quite flaky during the last year - on average I figure I'd been getting 18M/3M. Considering that my SB5120 DOCSIS 2.0 modem may not be offering the best performance possible when the service was at its best, I (along with a much needed new computer build) decided to upgrade to an ARRIS SB6141.

Comcast is in the midst of another speed upgrade/doubling for the East coast, but no news regarding my region in the Midwest. The wife and I were getting tired of paying so much for our cable TV from Comcast, so we called to tell them "we're cancelling" (1st time we've done that). Long story short: They gave us one of their 1 year (no contract) deals that dropped the overall bill by about $45 dollars, and in asking them about the internet speed doubling (which the gentleman in the retention dept. claimed to have no knowledge of AT ALL) they gave us a package that included the BLAST tier of 50M/10M. My speed tests through TestMy.net and Xfinity's test site (for both IPv4 & IPv6) are consistently 55M/10.5M (topping at 62M/11.8M). If after the package year is up and they have no replacement deals for us, my hope is that the speed doubling will have come through which would allow me to 'downgrade' to the new Performance speeds of 50M/10M - fingers crossed there!

ALSO: competition-wise it's the same-ol', same-ol' with my only other internet option being CenturyLink DSL. After years of being stuck in the sub 8M range, they now tell me that they can get me 'up to' 20M...for about the same price as my old service. FCC - THIS ISN'T COMPETITION!!!

Until next time, Cheers!

member for 8.4 years, 2208 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by suggy2004 See Profile

• Location: Conshohocken,Montgomery,PA
Good "Fast Internet Speed Doubled, clear phone & good TV package"
Bad "Outsourced Tech & Customer Service "
Overall "Saving money Over FIOS"

So Far so Good with Comcast

Started XF-triple Play:(Digital Starter, High-Speed Internet (50/10), Digital Voice Unlimited)
Internet upgraded to : 110/10

Free HBO for 3 Month's
Cable Card all for $79.99 for 12 month The $99.99 for the next year
Blast add on $10.00
Gateway Rental $8.00
Tax's, Charges & fee's : $8.94
Total : $106.93

member for 10.5 years, 665 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by nickelman See Profile

• Location: Mount Laurel,Burlington,NJ
Good "Never had an issue with speeds or service. "
Bad "None that I can think of. "
Overall "Very happy with TV and Internet services. Exactly what I want and the price is good for me. "

Very happy Comcast customer for the past year. I've been on the Blast internet plan for the whole year and just recently got the free upgrade from 50/10 to 105/10.

I've never had an issue with slowdowns during the day and I constantly get my advertised speed.

Anytime I've needed to call about a billing issue or a TV issue I've been helped ASAP.

Will stick with Comcast until either FIOS or Google Fiber comes crawling at my door!

member for 11.7 years, 4255 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by stidolph See Profile

• Location: Santa Cruz,Santa Cruz,CA
Good "no contract"
Bad "speed not as said on website, poor customer/tech support"
Overall "better than available DSL, at least this year"

Ordered Blast! "up to 50/10" from website ($35/mo) ... the Performance service was "up to 25/5" for $30/mo. Once installed, I find the service runs 29/4.8 or a trifle less so I figured Blast! hadn't been provisioned - I spent 3 hrs troubleshooting, including with Comcast tech support and never improved it. They finally decide they need to send a tech (so I'm on wait-at-home the next day, for a 2 hour window) who simply says, "the Comcast system treats all of California as being same bandwidth but that's a mistake and they shouldn't have said your address could get up to 50/10 at all - our local plant can't go that fast, in fact you're doing the best I've seen in Santa Cruz!" The tech said I should call Comcast to see about getting the $5/mo Blast! fee dropped.

I e-chatted with Comcast, got transferred to Billing, who said they would drop the $5/mo and assured me speed wouldn't change. Half an hour later, I'm off Blast! and speed drops to 17/2.5 (and the speed is much more variable during test, too). I kept testing and resetting to see if it would get better - it didn't. During the next couple days we also seemed to get a couple disconnects from Netflix and Google which we hadn't seen before, but maybe that's coincidence.

Oddly, two days later, a second modem arrives. (No idea why.)

I called back, Customer Service says all they can do is add Blast back at $10/mo ... but, since I was "inconvenienced" (by now I'm up to almost 6 hours dealing with this!) they could make it free for the first 3 months. So, over the first year it would cost me $90, rather than the $60 I started with. I declined and noted I could just completely cancel service and start over. So then the CS rep does the "let me check with the Loyalty Dept" - luckily, no hold music, so I was able to do some light reading. The CS rep comes back and says he can reverse the Billing dept action after all ... he adds back Blast! for $5/mo x 12 months, and I'm back to where I started (except that I'm significantly irked with, and suspicious of, Comcast.)

And he's sending me return labels for the excess modem.

Summary: Blast! is faster and more speed-stable than Performance, but neither meets the level the Comcast website implies. The Comcast "promo" price is about the same as my DSL provider's regular rate of $40/mo for 6/0.7 but the ping/latency and connectivity seems somewhat less stable than was the DSL line ... if it weren't for the "remote terminal" blocking ADSL2+ access I would have upgraded the DSL to Cruzio's "Velocity" offering. Comcast online Tech Support has the wrong information in Comcast databases and will cheerfully waste your time resetting everything over and over; and, CS seems to be like dealing with a junior salesman at a backwater auto dealership.

Comments:

BLACKEYES

@64.236.128.x

I hate Comcast

THEY OFFER A PACKAGE AND THEN REMOVE CHANNELS CLAIMING THAT HAD COMMITTED AN ERROR, THIS IS HAPPENED IN LOUDOUN COUNTY IN VIRGINIA...
A HATE COMCAST BUT UNFORTUNATELY IS THE ONLY OPTION CABLE THERE WHERE I LIVE...
CUSTOMER SERVICE HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE FLOOR LEVEL

V0X

join:2000-08-17
Ooltewah, TN
·EPB Fiber Optics

Re: I hate Comcast

Similar situation where they offered to add Showtime and Digital Preferred for 9.99 a month for a year, my bill went from $34.00 to $107.00. After calling to have them just put my bill back to where it was, they suddenly seemed unable to do so. I'm on hold now, fourth call to them... this time to disconnect service.
appleseed

join:2014-05-17

Experience with Comcast

It's a b mixed bag with Comcast. White the bandwidth is good and generally working I find it difficult to contact anyone who knows well network configuration even the units provided by Comcast. A recent upgrade to the Xfinity modem/router has been a struggle but it does work (mostly) and after some hours functions mostly for my local LAN and 3 wireless access points around a larger house. I will post my remaining struggle with Apple Airport Express units to a specific forum.
appleseed

join:2014-05-17
It's a mixed bag with Comcast. White the bandwidth is good and generally working I find it difficult to contact anyone who knows well network configuration even the units provided by Comcast. A recent upgrade to the Xfinity modem/router has been a struggle but it does work (mostly) and after some hours functions mostly for my local LAN and 3 wireless access points around a larger house. I will post my remaining struggle with Apple Airport Express units to a specific forum.

Review by monsignor_ See Profile

• Location: Monroe,Ouachita,LA
Good "internet and cable"
Bad "goes out once per 6-7 weeks"
Overall "good isp except for cap limits"

Everything good. 300 GB capped sucks. I wonder how this cap will work since comcast is looking at netflix...

Comments:

Carolyn

@166.147.121.x

Customer service

Comcast has the best product but the WORST customer service!

Review by awasser1 See Profile

• Location: Bloomfield,Hartford,CT
Good "Quick was working within 30 minutes"
Bad "Tech Support not very knowledable"
Overall "Excellent value and quick service"

upgraded automatically March 2014 to 105/10. good service very few interruptions at all. Happy price is about $70

After having ATT Dsl 6.0 for like 7 years We finally decided we needed a faster speed at our home. Already had Digital Cable and was paying about $120 per month. After initially speaking to Sales I think the guy was in Mexico and then calling back and getting someone in Connecticut it was determined we could just go to the local office and pickup a modem. Service would be hooked up ASAP and it would be about $35.99 per month for 6 months including modem rental. We havent gotten the new bill yet so the prices could be a little off. The service was already working when I brought the modem home. Really easy to hookup with self install kit. The only hurdle was I was only getting like 26 /5 for speed. I called several times and tech support would say "Your service is new it takes a little while to get 50 /10" this didnt make sense to me. After reading the forums here I found out most like my modem profile was incorrect. I did as I was told and contacted Comcast in the chat forum and voila it was fixed. I regularly get speeds way about 50 mbps and sometimes close to 100 at off peak hours. uploads about 11. So far works marvelously after about two weeks.

member for 10.3 years, 524 visits, last login: a few hours ago