Review by g0nepostal See Profile

• Location: Burlingame,San Mateo,CA
Good "Phemonenal speed, reliable service"
Bad "Nothing so far, haven't hit any invisible caps yet"
Overall "Happy with the service, far more than I was with U-Verse"

·magicjack.com
12/15/2014 UPDATE: After logging into my account through Comcast's customer service website, I found out that Comcast's monthly cap is 250GB, but apparently it is currently NOT being enforced. YMMV. Also, as noted, you CAN call Comcast tech support to request that your cable modem be placed in Bridge mode, but from what I've read this takes a bit of persistence, not to mention patience. I'd rather stick to using a DMZ.

4.5/5. I'm still happy with the service, 2 months in.

------------------------

Cut the cord from ATT U-Verse to go with Comcast for HSI and Dish for TV. Signed up for 50 down / 5 up HSI service for $39.99 a month for 12 months, with no contract (regular rate is $69/month). Ordered online and the technician came to install the service 4 days later.

Since our house already had a prior Comcast cable drop, all the tech had to do was run new coax from the old drop connection to our den where the cable modem was going to be set up. I had already purchased my own modem, so all that was required was for him to activate the modem and make sure that we had good signal. Once that was done the install was complete and we were online.

Been online now for about 2 months and haven't had a single service outage. Unfortunately Comcast does not appear to allow cable modems to work in bridge mode, so to get around this I set up a DMZ and assigned our edge router to it. Also, apparently Comcast wants to turn all of the WiFI capable modems on its network to free hotspots for its customers (there is a lot of information on this here on DSLR), but this apparently will only apply to rented modems, not customer-owned equipment. Hence I would recommend buying your own modem and saving yourself both having to share the connection with strangers and having to pay Comcast a modem rental fee (I bought a refurbished Motorola SBG6580 on Amazon for $90. Much better than leasing.).

Other than the above, Comcast HSI has been excellent. I am happy with the service and the price is not bad at all. So far I haven't hit any sort of download cap, even with all of the video streaming my wife and I do; I am presuming that the monthly invisible DL cap is somewhere around 250-300GB, which is actually not bad.

I haven't had to use tech support yet (it helps that I know what I am doing), so I can't really rate it. That said, since the install coordination was excellent and since the tech knew what he was doing while setting up the connection I am going to rate tech support a 5.

Comcast HSI gets a 4.5/5 in my book. The 0.5 point deduction is due to the famed invisible DL cap and for forcing users to run a DMZed edge router to get around not being able to bridge the connection. Otherwise, I'm quite happy.

gp

Comments:

Clark Kent

join:2014-07-31
Detroit, MI

Bridge mode is allowed.

Comcast does allow customers to place there gateways in bridge mode. Some can be done from the user interface others require a call or chat to a comcast rep and they can place it in bridge mode from there end.

g0nepostal
I Am The One Her Mom Warned Her About

join:2001-03-23
Burlingame, CA
·magicjack.com

Re: Bridge mode is allowed.

So I've read, but you apparently have to go through the gauntlet of Tier I and Tier II tech support to reach someone who can send the command down the wire to your modem to enable bridge mode, if you can't turn bridge mode on yourself using the modem's configuration pages. No thanks. DMZing the edge router is much easier.

Review by MysterHide See Profile

• Location: Bremerton,Kitsap,WA
Good "Low Pings, Speedy, Fast Install"
Bad "Random disconnects, slow during peak, awful customer service"
Overall "Most reliable in town"

49.99 Internet Plus w/Blast + Local TV + HBO & StreamPix
Fast order, easy install. Tech showed up early.

member for 13.1 years, 674 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by fabiohiga See Profile

• Location: Schaumburg,Cook,IL
Good "Very stable, very fast service, latest DOCSIS 3.0"
Bad "Expensive, throttling hurts, bandwidth caps"
Overall "Much better than DSL in terms of speed for price."

Using the Ultra 22/5 with a Motorola SB6120, service is highly reliable, no resets, modem uptimes longer than I can remember, blazing fast downloads.

Throttling (network management practices) are dicey at best. Downloads get slow, if you download too much. What if I'm watching online TV, downloading an .iso image for a demo game?

Update 4/3: Had the Ultra 22/5 service since mid September 2009. My signal quality has been excellent through the entire winter (downstream channels at 37dB, few uncorrectable errored codewords). Have had a couple firmware updates to the SB6120 ever since, and everything has been smooth. Powerboost speeds go up to 34Mbps down (tested this through my Wireless-N network), and uplink is around 10Mbps, also with the speed boost.

Update 12/21/2010: I don't think I can remember when was the last time I've had an outage. Service is rock solid reliable, 35Mbps down/10Mbps up, except for the sporadic Comcast DNS outages (had a couple over the last year or so). Other than that, excellent line quality, and uptime. By using my SB6120, reliability is even better than with the older SB5100 and DOCSIS 2.0 service. Happy with Comcast so far.

Update 1/28/2011: Rock solid as usual, 35Mbps down/10Mbps up. Last outage was around November, due to a DNS server failure. Other than that, incredibly reliable, perfect signal levels. Even though I initially said that the bandwidth cap of 250GB a month is ridiculous, even after heavy Netflix streaming and downloads, my max usage has been 110GB ... Normal usage for me is around 40-50GB/month.

Update 8/7/2012: Network has been upgraded to 3 bonded upstream channels! I had high latency/packet losses a couple weeks ago, but those were corrected all of a sudden. I can get about 30Mbps down, and 10Mbps up.

Update 12/8/2014: I upgraded to a Motorola SB6183 with 16 channels downstream/4 channels upstream support along with upgrading my Blast 50/10 service to Extreme 105. My area can now actually receive 16 channels down/3 channels up. After doing a couple tests, I am getting 128Mb down and 24Mbup with 16x3. Service cost is now $114.95/month. Pretty satisfied.

Comments:

Review by crk2h See Profile

• Location: Murfreesboro,Rutherford,TN
Good "New X1 guide is pretty nice. Has a great picture quality."
Bad "None so far"
Overall "I am loving the fast download speeds!"

·LightTUBe
Update 12/7/2014
So far still happy with my service. I have had no issues with service or speeds even during peak times. Also, billing has actually been consistent. I have not had any issues with my X1 boxes locking up or freezing. I am not sure if the Cable plant for our area is just that awesome or if I am in area with newer equipment. Either way I will take it! Speedtests listed below are actually over wireless as well.

Update 5/21/2014
Installer came to setup and did a great job. Very courteous. Speeds so far are as advertised got 120 Mbps down and 22 Mbps up.

Update 5/17/2014

I am moving back to Murfreesboro. Signed up and scored a 2 year deal of 105 Mbps package with the 230+ Channel Package including HBO and Showtime and phone service for $129 a month. I will update once I get the service installed.

Update 3/14/2012

Still happy with my service Very Fast Internet!

Update 10/27/2011

Dropped triple play and now have internet and cable for $95 a month. (Digital Preferred + Showtime+ Blast Internet) I also have 1 hd box, 1 hd-dvr, and 2 dta boxes and was told my bill would run $95 for 12 months!!

Update 10/13/2011

Still having no problems with my service. Added Sports Pack, HBO and Showtime so now my bill is running around $160 a month for phone, internet, cable (HD Box, HD DVR and 2 DTA boxes) Internet speeds remain consistent always get around 25 Mbps down and 4 Mbps up. I think that the service has gone out maybe once since I have been back with them. I can't wait for the new set top box interface to come out whenever that might be. The beta looked really cool from the screenshots that I saw.

**Update**So far so good with Xfinity aka Comcast. I must say that the HD picture quality has improved tremendously here in Middle TN since last time I had Comcast. (I guess since they went all digital they don't have to compress as much or maybe a different type of compression is being used now) I am constantly getting speeds above 16 Mbps even during peak times. I did the $99 triple play and added an HD DVR and an HD box and bill runs around $140 a month for the 1st 12 months at least.

Comments:

Review by technik0 See Profile

• Location: Evanston,Cook,IL
Good "Fast speeds and acceptable reliability"
Bad "Can't think of any at the moment"
Overall "Pretty good overall"

·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
Had service for a month now which feels like a reasonable amount of time to get an idea of the quality of service. Purely internet. No TV or phone. In my area, it seems Comcast is well regarded and recommended. The Evanston, IL reddit had numerous people saying it was the best option so I decided to try it myself.

Visited a service center to get set up. Process in store was fairly easy and was handed a modem there & then as previous tenant in my apartment had service so everything was ready to go. Took it home but couldn't find anywhere to hook it up. Turns out last occupant sliced cable off the wall. Thanks bro!

Called Comcast up (Sunday evening) and explained. They arranged for a technician to come on Tuesday as the Monday was Labor Day. Quick turnaround...I was expecting a longer wait. Tech arrived in the afternoon on the Tuesday and only needed a few minutes to sort out the cable. Person on the call was helpful.

Once all plugged in the modem took a while to get a connection. I was on the phone with Comcast to "activate" and they said the modem would do that as it would be downloading updates. After about 20 minutes all was working. Person on the phone was again pleasant and helpful and stayed on until they were sure all was working right.

So far one month in I've had 2 or 3 momentary drops and re-syncs of the signal. One outage during the middle of the night for about 3 hours. This seemed to be a problem in my area as the Comcast site mentioned reports during the event.

Speeds, as far as I'm aware should be 50Mbit down and 10Mbit up. Every test I do comes in about 60Mbit down and 12Mbit up so it appears to be faster than advertised. I play a lot of online PC games and stream netflix. Pings to local Chicagoland servers are usually 15ms. To East Coast servers usually 25-35ms. Netflix streaming has been reliable with no buffering.

Online tracker mentions 250GB allowance but it doesn't appear to be enforced at this time.

The modem (Arris TG862G) appears to be a nice piece of kit. Reliably holds the connection. The wireless signal appears to be strong. I can still be connected on my phone when I'm over 100 metres from the apartment.

Overall quite satisfied.

Edit: About 3 months in now. Still running nicely with no complaints. Runs fast and reliable.

Comments:

Review by suggy2004 See Profile

• Location: Conshohocken,Montgomery,PA
Good "Fast Internet Speed Doubled, clear phone & good TV package"
Bad "Outsourced Tech & Customer Service "
Overall "Saving money Over FIOS"

So Far so Good with Comcast

Started XF-triple Play:(Digital Starter, High-Speed Internet (50/10), Digital Voice Unlimited)
Internet upgraded to : 110/10

Free HBO for 3 Month's
Cable Card all for $79.99 for 12 month The $99.99 for the next year
Blast add on $10.00
Gateway Rental $8.00
Tax's, Charges & fee's : $8.94
Total : $106.93

member for 11.1 years, 814 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by xv920 See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Available"
Bad "No other choices"
Overall "Works as advertised"

I moved to a new house this summer(August 2014). I looked up Internet service providers in the area but couldn't find any others but Comcast. ATT only offered dialup. Not even DSL. I was using UVerse at the previous location and expected to be able to move the service to this new place. In the 21st century, in the capital of Silicon Valley, who could imagine the only Internet service available from the local telco was dialup. I noticed the Comcast box on the garage wall so I looked up the service plans on the Comcast site and jumped on the $29.99 promo. I bought the modem(SB6121) at local BestBuy and attached the coax cable to it. That's it, I'm online. The latest speedtest shows 60Mbps up, 5Mbps down. Not bad.

The self install kit was totally useless in this case. So I called the customer service to waive the $15 fee. She agreed to take $15 off of the next month bill and the $15 discount did actually show up in the next bill, but they also added a bogus fee of $15 so in the end nothing changed.

A few weeks back, I had some issues with the internet connectivity. I suspected the modem and the internet circuit. But it turned out to be the router that I'm using. After performing the factory reset on the router, everything went back to normal. So no problem on the Comcast side so far.

member for 12.5 years, 3436 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by graysonf See Profile

• Location: Fort Lauderdale,Broward,FL
Good "Extremely reliable. Low cost at promotional rate which is easily extended."
Overall "Best choice in the area."

I went over to the Comcast Performance tier when AT&T DSL became too expensive, and offers to lower the cost were never honored and they even denied making them. Since I was already a Comcast TV customer, they gave me a great promotional rate on the internet which I have been able to renew every year. I ordered the service online.

I did a self install with a Zoom 5341J modem I purchased at Best Buy to avoid the monthly modem rental fee. I plugged the modem in and called Comcast to activate. It was up and running within two minutes.

I have had no serious problems with the service. Only one brief outage in over two years of service. The actual speed is over-provisioned at 30/6.

member for 15.6 years, 8923 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Daemon See Profile

• Location: Berkeley,Alameda,CA
Good "Fast, reasonably priced."
Bad "Customer support is sometimes useless."
Overall "Set it up and then pray you never need to call support."

·webpass.net
Update 3/19/14: After living at an address not connected to the cable system for some time, I am back at a comcast served address and have reconnected service with them. We are on 50/10 service for $50/mo for the first 12 months. As usual, they screwed up the first bill and charged us the non-promo rate at first, but have promised to fix it. Fortunately, they did not try to bill me for a modem as I own my own.

One thing not mentioned when I bought service is that customer owned modems do not connect automatically--they require a call into customer service to get activated, which requires reading the MAC and SN off the modem. The first time I did this I got disconnected and had to call again, but the second time things went through okay and connected fine. It turns out Comcast saves MACs from old modems, so had I lived in the same service area as before, the modem would have reconnected without a call (I moved 40 miles so that was not an option).

Dual-stack IPv6 is active in my area, and I am actively using it. Unfortunately, there appears to be either a misconfiguration of the CMTS or a bug in my router firmware that prevents my primary router from getting a routing IPv6 information properly, but a secondary router I configured is working.

Customer support on Comcast continues to get better and better--I have several options to talk directly to network engineers about more complex problems, and the people at 1-800-COMCAST are getting faster and faster at handling basic issues.

Having been a customer now for 10 years on and off, I have to say the value for the money is top notch--the prices have barely changed in 10 years though the speed has increased about 10x.

Update 9/1/11: the IPv6 trial is still ongoing. The local 6-to-4 servers that Comcast maintains transparently manage my IPv6 traffic. I am still waiting for dual stack or native IPv6 support, but I can understand why Comcast would proceed with caution. We are now at 30mbps down/6mbps up as measured by the FCC/SamKnows internet monitoring trial we're part of, without any price increases. They've also enabled upstream channel bonding, which should mean much less channel crowding during peak hours.

1st tier phone tech support still results in 'restart your modem', which is a drag. On the other hand, the comcast direct forum here, as well as the comcast twitter account, are staffed by high-level and competent support people and can resolve your complex issues that phone staff do not have the global view to fix. So, I am upgrading tech support from a 3 to a 4.

Comcast also still has a nasty tendency to quote one deal price via mail, quote another on the phone when you sign up, and charge a third in your monthly bill. This does not apply if you'd like to pay full price, but it is annoying if you are not. Thus, I still maintain a 3 star 'pre sales information' review.

Update 6/1/10: Comcast has become much more technologically savvy and less paranoid. I am enrolled in a IPv6 beta trial with comcast, which, to my knowledge, is the only large residential ISP involved in IPv6 rollouts. They also allow self-installs of CableCARDS, which, although not a internet-related thing, is another example of the techno-forward new comcast experience, which is pleasing. They've finished DOCSIS 3.0 roll out in my area and I have noticed speeds stabilized and reliability improved. I have to think they have upgraded the backends so it's not nearly as over-subscribed.

Also, speeds have gone from 1.5mpbs to 12mbps in the last decade here, without any significant price increases. That changes my value for money from a 4 to a 5.

However, my major rub, the first tier technical support, still lacks. As someone involved in discussions of the merits of IPv6 tunneling versus IPv4/IPv6 duel stacks, having the rep tell me I need to reboot my modem and computer when something doesn't work makes me want to stab my eyes out.

Update 10/9/09: In recent months, comcast support has been much more helpful. They seem to have seen the light and are finally allowing total self-installs, so I no longer need a truck roll to install HSI in a new apartment. Instead, I can now go down to the local store and get a modem and kit and do it all myself, including provisioning without installing the crappy software (hint: press the 'i am a comcast tech' button in the walled garden provisioning page)

I have been disappointed with the lack of information regarding DOCSIS 3.0 availability, and, related, the cable analog to digital transition. Apparently they are going neighborhood by neighborhood here to avoid overwhelming support, but for tech heads like me it would be nice if we had the date of the changeover.

That said, comcast has been steadily upgrading speeds without changing the overall cost. I remember the boost from 1.5mbps to 3mpbs, and now we are on 12mpbs with boosts to much higher, with only small increases in price over the last 6 years. Cable is still way over priced, but internet is very reasonable.

All in all I have changed my tech support rating from 1 to 3 for them allowing me to at least do what I know how to do on my own, without requiring the hassle of a truck roll. The bills and total costs have been getting more transparent recently too, so pre sales information also gets updated to a 3.

Update 4/7/09: It has been brought to my attention that most of the basic level support people are obligated to follow the script in front of them and risk getting fired if they stray. (This call may be recorded...) So, while some of them may be able to help you, they won't because of the script comcast has designed.

So, when I call to let them know one of their border routers at the SJ NOC is dropping packets and has high latency, would they like to know the IP address, they are obligated to tell me to restart my modem and computer. (arghhhh) It also means that when I have diagnosed a connection problem to a faulty modem and I call, I have to spend 45 minutes trying all sorts of things in order to convince the person on the phone that the modem is the problem (restart the computer, remove the router, try the usb port, remove the splitter, move the computer and modem near a different cable outlet, try a different RG6 cable), even though I have already definitively proved the modem is broken.

I did move connection reliability back to 5. We've been on Comcast for nearly a year now with only one 2 hour outage, which is 99.97% uptime.

The ad hominem reply, below, from the guy in SJ is amusing. I have to wonder if he works for comcast.

Update 12/23/08: Back out of uni housing, back into Comcast. Nothing really changes with them, although our connection is incrementally faster. Also, when you provision the modem now, you have the option of pretending you are a comcast tech, which means you type in a few numbers and you're done (none of which are, say comcast badge number or anything-- just a few numbers off the modem.) OTOH, if you say you are a normal person, you have to install a bunch of POS software items you really don't want. At least I didn't need to go find an old copy of IE for Mac this time!

Old review from 2006:

Okay, so I'm back to Comcast after a two year hiatus. It's already starting to feel like a mistake.

First, I don't want the damn software on my computer. I don't need to know whether I'm configured for DHCP, because I can do it myself. I don't want IE configured by comcast. In fact, I don't even have IE installed! (I'm on a Mac).

First thing I tried to do was call them and tell them I'm running linux, so they'll register my account for me. The tech has the audacity to tell me the service is incompatible with Linux. No, it's perfectly compatible, because it uses a standard ethernet connection!

Then I relented and installed the software. Too bad it's not compatible with OS X 10.4 and corrupted my computer enough that I now need to reinstall it from scratch. On top of that, the software is extremely buggy and attempts to do things that my user account does not have permission to do.

Then I called back and explained the new problem. Luckily, I was connected to someone who went off script and registered my modem in about 2 seconds on her end. WTF didn't the first guy do that? Right, because the service is incompatible with linux...

Comcast is designed as a service for technology dummies who don't know much about networking, the internet, etc. This means that if you are technically inclined, talking to them is going to be frustrating because they both treat you like you are stupid and don't answer your questions.

(On the plus side, I am connected at 6000/768 without any problems)

member for 11.6 years, 5256 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by tylersweb See Profile

• Location: Verona,Allegheny,PA
Good "Fast Internet, Every Channel Just About"
Bad "Modem Rental Fee, Contact Required, Slow X1 Guide"
Overall "Had Comcast for several years, never had any issues really"

I had switched from Fios Internet (150/75 at the time) and Dish back to Comcast as I had a great deal from a direct sales rep. I have the X1 Premier package which has just about every channel and all movie channels, 105 meg internet, and voice service. Standard pricing for this package is 159.99 for the first year and then I believe its like $230 or so for the second year. By going through a direct sales rep, I was able to get this package for $109.99 for the first year, and its $25 more per month for the second year, and comes with a $250 statement credit after 3 months. I also added on a HD DTA for my bedroom ($1.99) and the Modem/Gateway rental ($8.00) so my final bill each month is $130.

Install took about an hour as they needed to run a new line for my living room since I was still finishing up a basic contract with Dish, so I didn't want them to disconnect the dish line completely. The install tech was training a new guy, so for my sake, I had to keep my eye on two people...one inside the house and one outside. The install was pretty clean, he didn't vacuum up the drywall dust from drilling a hole and they left a 6 ft coax strand laying in the grass, but that's little things.

My X1 experience was very cool for the first week and then it started to get old as I became used to the system. I would continue to receive popup messages about not being subscribed to a package and to call xfinity to order, even though I could still watch the channels. I googled the message I got and it appears to have been due to the customer service person not putting the right codes on the account. There was also one time where I tried to watch a showtime on demand show and it said I wasn't subscribed to it. A simple 2 minute phone call took care of the issue.

Overall, after the initial bugs, everything has been great. Internet never goes down, speed tests show a consistent 125 meg down and about 11 or 12 meg up anytime during the day or night. I have the DPC3939 gateway/modem which I believe is the standard gateway for X1 (for now). My only complaint really is that the guide is sometimes very laggy when going into it, and scrolling through it. The remote control also isn't really that great compared to my Dish remote. My Dish remote I could point at my TV and turn the volume down by just holding the volume button. The X1 remote, it seems like I have to push the volume button a few times before the TV will recognize that im pushing it. It just seems like a basic cheap remote for a fancy dvr system. The HD DTA also has the same exact remote. Also with my voice service, they gave me the phone number of a Bar 2 miles down the road that went out of business, so I get about 6 calls a day from bill collectors, music service companies, etc. I really don't use the phone, so I just disconnected the phone line from the modem. I wish they had an option to let me use my own modem without EMTA to avoid the $8 dollar rental fee, even if I still kept the voice service on my account.

I've had Comcast off and on for the past 7 years (depending who has the better deals!) and I've never had any outage issues with TV or Internet.

member for 4.7 years, 132 visits, last login: a few hours ago