Review by PaulHikeS2 See Profile

• Location: Manchester,Hillsborough,NH
Good "Speed, Reliability"
Bad "can't really think of any"
Overall "Satisfactory. Does exactly what I expect it"

For me, this is like a review of electricity. When I turn on a light, it comes on. Same with my internet. It always does exactly what i expect it to do.

member for 11.5 years, 2028 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ricklg See Profile

• Location: Laurel,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "Connection Speed, Reliability"
Bad "Tech Support"
Overall "Quite satisfied overall"

·Vonage
Latest Review at the bottom.

6/15/2004 Original Review:

After having various dial up services since 1992 (remember Prodigy at 2400 bps?) I decided to try Comcast HSI. Dial up was OK, but I had seen what broadband was like at work. In February 2004 I saw the Best Buy offer for Comcast HSI at $19.99 for 3 months ($42.95 after), Motorola SB5100 (free with rebate), Comcast self install kit (free with rebate), and a $75 Best Buy Gift card. The gift card was good for a router and a few bucks more. This looked like a good deal so I took the plunge.

Self install was a snap (sort of). I already had Comcast Cable TV service so there was no need for a technician to come out. I spent about an hour cabling up and running the self install software. I ran the connection software and it wouldn't connect. I tried and tried. I finally called Comcast to register the modem MAC address. Best Buy supposedly registered the modem with Comcast when I bought it, but Comcast had no record of it. After a few calls to get the right MAC address installed and their database updated (twice!) everything worked fine. The Indian lady was very hard to understand tho. It was about 6 hours from opening the box to being on line.

The service is 3Mb down, 256Kb up. The DSLreports benchmark shows 3.1 Mb down, 240Kb up. This has been consistent for the 4 months I've had Comcast HSI. It is sometimes a bit pokey (down to 2Mb ), but I've also seen 4.7Mb at times. I've only been down 3 times in 4 months and one of those times was during a storm where I lost power for 6 hours. The other 2 times were 10 to 45 minutes long. My area is a new installation for Comcast HSI so my mileage may be different than yours.

Tech support is terrible if you don't have a configuration question. I tried the on line chat help to ask about a port 123 (network time) network routing problem. It had been working then it stopped after a month. The chat guy was nasty and clueless. I called the 800 number and the first person I talked to was pleasant, but clueless. Neither knew what I was talking about and assumed I was stupid. I got to the next support level and finally talked to a knowledgeable person. It shouldn't take 3 hours to find someone who understands your question.

Overall I'm quite satisfied. As long as my service remains reliable and I don't have to call tech support I'll be very happy. I have other broadband choices (Millennium Cable and Verizon DSL), but Comcast seems to be the best available. I'm still thinking about the price difference from ATT Worldnet dial up ($16.95/mo) and Comcast, but I think I'm hooked on broadband.

4/15/2005 Update:

After 1 year with Comcast I'm truly hooked on broadband. My service suffered during the October 2004 through January 2005 speed upgrade. There were speed and modem sync problems during that time. Since they announced the upgrade complete in January 2005 I have had nothing but good, reliable service. I now have 4000/384 service with the upgrade. Speed tests consistently show 3700/350 or better.

They have had several bad DNS outages in April 2005, but I put an alternate DNS address in the router and never noticed the problem.

I haven't had to call tech support in a while (thank goodness), but I assume it's as abysmal as ever. I would go with someone else with comparable service and good tech support, but they don't exist.

11/15/2005 Update:

I'm still very satisfied with my Comcast HSI service. The Summer speed upgrades went well. I have been consistently getting 6Mbit/s down and 350Kbits up since August.

I had to call customer service (sigh) in July when a thunderstorm knocked the cable out. I called and found out it was a big outage. Two days later I called again (service rep was surprised I was still out) and got a truck roll 2 days later. The technician was very accommodating and spent about an hour troubleshooting. He determined the problem was in the distribution system. He put in a work order, but he couldn't confirm a completion date. Sigh. Not his fault, that's just the way it works. Late the next day my Internet connection came up.

I was without Internet service for 5 days. I can't blame them for the thunderstorm, but anything past a day or two (especially when it's in their distribution system) seems grossly inefficient to me. This outage also affected my neighbors so I would have expected a bit more alacrity in their response.

Besides this act of God, the service has been reasonably solid with only 3 outages in the last 6 months that lasted about an hour each. I don't think this is too bad.

Although I can't complain about the Internet connection, the price is still a bit high. I'll consider going to Verizon FIOS if the price is right.

4/15/2007 Update:

I still can't complain. My ratings remain the same. Service since my last update has been pretty solid. Download speed is very close to the advertised 6 Mb/s and I'm seeing 640Kb/s upload with the upgrade a few months ago. Power Boost works fine. There were a couple of short down times, but I guess they have to do maintenance sometime They didn't bother me in any event.

I haven't needed to call them for anything recently, but my previous opinions about tech support remain. I'm still biased and they haven't done anything to change that. (Not necessarily their fault, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth.)

Verizon finally put a connection box in front of my house, so I'm definitely FIOS ready at the curb. Verizon prices are commensurate with Comcast prices so I'm not ready to explore new ground by changing (yet). It's good to know I have a viable alternative to Comcast if they get unreliable or more expensive than Verizon. Comcast is making waves about ditching analog cable. If they try to charge me for the digital TV box(es) that may be my clue to go FIOS. I'm hanging tough for now.

5/25/2008 Update:

My opinion remains unchanged. The network has been reliable except for when Mother Nature causes problems. These outages were taken care of quickly. I made 1 service call during the last rating period. I asked for a line tech and got an installer. When he got here he told me I should have asked for a line tech...sigh. I fixed the problem myself (corroded connector). The installer magnanimously said he wouldn't charge me.

I'm still quite satisfied although tech support still needs a lot of work (but you already knew that!)

3/27/2009 Update:

I'm still quite pleased with the Comcast service and reliability. My service was upgraded to 12Mbit/1Mbit in December with no price increase (still $42.95). This upgrade is working very well. I am still using my original SB5100 modem (I'm glad I didn't rent it!).

The 250GB cap doesn't affect me yet so there's no reason to complain. I am concerned that if I use more streaming video that this could be a problem in the future. I was lucky to not need to call tech support in the past year so I avoided that frustration.

I received a Christmas gift of an HD TV. This has got me thinking again. Comcast HD choices are severely limited in my area despite advertising to the contrary. So far it's OK, but my choice of TV providers could affect my choice of ISP.

10/28/2009 Update:

Comcast has been very reliable since the last update. Because I haven't needed to call customer support I'm still quite happy.

12/13/2010 Update:

The service has been very reliable since the last update with contracted download speeds (12 Mbit/sec) being available most of the time. In fact I've seen 25 Mbit/sec on some large downloads lasting 10 or 15 minutes. This is beyond Power Boost.

Another year has gone by where I didn't call their (still presumably) abysmal customer service. I've had no problems that required a call. They've trained me not to call...sigh. This has been to their detriment. I've been contemplating upgrading my TV service for the past year or so. I've been afraid to change something (billing and service) that is working. A decent web page that shows ALL the options would be nice though.

5/20/2011 Update:

I'm still quite satisfied with my Comcast Internet. I've had no need to call them for service recently although I've noted in just the past few days that my modem power levels are becoming marginal...sigh. I hope I don't have to try to explain this to whatever droid I get on the phone.

Alas and Hallelujah! Their website FINALLY had an entry for ordering an HDTV box without the $40 installation fee, the $30/hr charge, and the miscellaneous cat sitting fee (or whatever). They've trained me not to call so I didn't. I get the local stations' HDTV signals from the raw cable (that's what I usually watch) so I haven't missed much. Comcast missed the 2.5 years of the $10 HD fee because of their abysmal customer service and a web page that is only relevant to new subscribers.

I took the plunge and I'm anxiously awaiting my HD self install kit. I'm less anxiously awaiting my next bill which I assume will not be correct or at least not what I expected...sigh.

I've looked at FIOS (the fiber is in front of my house), but I still haven't seen a reason to switch. The prices are about the same and Comcast has been reliable. It's good to know that I have another choice should Comcast decide I don't matter any more. I've had Comcast (and its predecessor) for 19 years so inertia also figures in to any decision to change.

As a side note I'm still using my original SB5100 modem I got free (after rebate from Best Buy) in 2004. I've certainly got my money's worth out of this puppy While my current 12 Mbit/2 Mbit service doesn't require anything better I suspect I'll need to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3 modem sometime soon. Maybe I'll put a new modem on my Christmas list?

7/19/2011 Update:

I am still satisfied overall with Comcast (TV and Internet) although my experience with my new HD set top box (STB) shows customer service is still lacking. I received my new HD STB by mail on May 23. Plug it in and it works after a few hoops to jump through. Nope, DOA. It didn't work because it wasn't in their database. It took a week to figure this out. Eight calls over two weeks couldn't resolve the problem. The installer arrived on June 4, but was clueless about my problem. Luckily she had an HD STB. This one worked. I waited for my bill.

The June bill wasn't too far off given that I finally got a $25 credit for my trouble. They charged me for HD between May 20 and June 4 with 1 day credit for May 27. I'm guessing my 1 day credit was someones attempt to fix the billing problem, but didn't do it right. I had told them not to charge me for service not provided. OK, I would be arguing about $5 or so. Being afraid of the can of worms I might be opening I just paid the bill. I then anxiously awaited the July bill.

The July bill charged me for 2 STBs. I've never had more than one working at a time. I called, gave a one sentence description of my problem, and the lady agreed with me. She immediately credited my bill for the overcharge. I just about fell out of my chair! I now await the August bill...sigh.

I won't upgrade my opinion of Comcast's customer service based only on this one ray of light. Getting HD service to work was a nightmare of phone calls with no one really knowing what to do.

5/13/2013 Update:

Service is still good and reliable. The price went up $5 (Internet) since the last review. TV went up even more...sigh. I had my coax severed by Verizon Fios contractors in Nov 2011. I asked them if they cut my cable. "Oh no senor, we no cut cable." Crap! I called Comcast.

A total outage didn't impress them so I got someone 2 days later. They gave me the impression this was expedited from the run-of-mill outage. The technician saw the coax was buried about 6 inches below ground and was 20 years old. He told me that he'd schedule my cable for replacement in the spring (2012). HA! It never happened as I thought! Everything still works and I've had a speed increase or two. I'm up to 20mbit/s on the performance tier.

Overall I'm still satisfied with the company and the service it provides. Customer support probably still sucks, but I've been lucky not to need any recently.

7/23/2014 Update:

My service has been quite reliable since my last review, but then I haven't changed anything since the last review. I lost a few HD channels that were thrown in when I first got the HD set top box. I guess they figure that there are enough HD channels now so that I won't complain. Of course much that claims to be HD is not...sigh. It would take $20 more to get back the channels I lost--it ain't worth it!

I have a policy of making no changes with Comcast. Things tend to get screwed up and take a month or two to straighten out if I do something different. Sometimes I feel like being adventuresome and add service, but my previous experience tells me to leave well enough alone. I'll just read a book!

No real need to mention that the cost keeps going up. I AM pleased with the 25Mbit down and 5Mbit up increase. This is good enough for what I do (for now). Go back to my comments from 10 years ago where I thought that 3Mbit/256Kbit was just the greatest. I was happy with my 56Kbit modem in 1995. Times change and our habits evolve. In 1995 I couldn't buy much of anything on the Internet. Today I buy things that I COULD go down to the store for, but I don't.

Comments:

Review by csiemers See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR
Good "The install went very smoothly. The speed!"
Bad "Took couple weeks before an installer came out."
Overall "So far so good."

Was moving and decided I wanted to get rid of my land line which also meant getting rid of my DSL provider as they don't do naked DSL. The ones that did cap, and I knew the Comcast Business didn't and my sister had been using them for her business for several years quite successfully.
So picked up the phone and placed an order.
About a week later they had a "survey" which meant someone drove by and probably checked, from the pole, whether I was able to receive service. They never even came to the door. Then took another week for an installer to come out. Within about an hour he had me up and running on my 12/2 service.
Update 2/8/2012:
Price has gone up on the modem by $2 a month. Just smoke and mirrors price increase which doesn't have to be reflected in their advertised price.
Connection still going great. More speed than seem to ever need. Streaming movies, TV, and gaming all used on this connection.
Don't miss the Satellite TV or the DSL at all.
Update 10/10/13:
First 2 years was up a month ago. Don't remember too many outages, if any in all that time. Did sign up for a Static IP and reuped for 2 more years to lock in a lower price.
Update 7/15/14:
Connection is still going strong. Now at 16/3 with a Static IP. Works great and have had no issues. Plenty fast for my household.

member for 14 years, 6616 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by crk2h See Profile

• Location: Murfreesboro,Rutherford,TN
Good "New X1 guide is pretty nice. Has a great picture quality."
Bad "None so far"
Overall "I am loving the fast download speeds!"

·LightTUBe
·Charter
Update 5/21/2014
Installer came to setup and did a great job. Very courteous. Speeds so far are as advertised got 120 Mbps down and 22 Mbps up.

Update 5/17/2014

I am moving back to Murfreesboro. Signed up and scored a 2 year deal of 105 Mbps package with the 230+ Channel Package including HBO and Showtime and phone service for $129 a month. I will update once I get the service installed.

Update 3/14/2012

Still happy with my service Very Fast Internet!

Update 10/27/2011

Dropped triple play and now have internet and cable for $95 a month. (Digital Preferred + Showtime+ Blast Internet) I also have 1 hd box, 1 hd-dvr, and 2 dta boxes and was told my bill would run $95 for 12 months!!

Update 10/13/2011

Still having no problems with my service. Added Sports Pack, HBO and Showtime so now my bill is running around $160 a month for phone, internet, cable (HD Box, HD DVR and 2 DTA boxes) Internet speeds remain consistent always get around 25 Mbps down and 4 Mbps up. I think that the service has gone out maybe once since I have been back with them. I can't wait for the new set top box interface to come out whenever that might be. The beta looked really cool from the screenshots that I saw.

**Update**So far so good with Xfinity aka Comcast. I must say that the HD picture quality has improved tremendously here in Middle TN since last time I had Comcast. (I guess since they went all digital they don't have to compress as much or maybe a different type of compression is being used now) I am constantly getting speeds above 16 Mbps even during peak times. I did the $99 triple play and added an HD DVR and an HD box and bill runs around $140 a month for the 1st 12 months at least.

Comments:

Review by redtruck See Profile

• Location: Grottoes,Rockingham,VA
Good "fast, alway works, consistent speeds"

The service works as it should and I get the speeds I am paying for. (Blast) No problems with customer service reps, every issue is handled professionally and quickly.

Comments:

Review by devjonfos See Profile

• Location: Beaverton,Washington,OR
Good "Internet speeds continue to increase without additional cost"
Bad "HD technology fee of $10, Soft Cap of 250GB"
Overall "Good, fast, internet service at different tiers with affordable prices"

I've been a Comcast customer for just over six years. I started with their 6Mbps Internet service and Digital Starter TV. I've updated this review every few years. I've changed packages over the years, including cord cutting and running only the internet service.

Current Chapter: I now have an Internet/TV package consisting of Blast Internet and Digital Economy TV. The total package is about $94 including taxes. The bandwidth has increased to about 55Mbps download and 11Mbps upload. The Motorola Surfboard SB6121 I bought back in 2011, to save modem rental fees, has been very reliable and that model has received Comcast's highest marks in testing. Comcast has also announced that they will double internet speeds again for their various internet packages. Mine should double to 100mbps in the near future. My only gripe is that I have to pay an additional $10 to receive HD TV and that they have a soft cap of 250GB, "...enforcement of the 250GB data consumption threshold is currently suspended." With all the streaming video that I watch, I regularly bump up against that soft cap of 250GB. There are no overage fees now; however, after the merger...well, we'll see.

Cheers!

member for 10.3 years, 1905 visits, last login: 77 days ago

Comments:

Review by odog See Profile

• Location: Atlanta,Dekalb,GA
Good "50/5 with quad tuner multiroom DVR"
Bad "multi day outages, inept techs, and bad service"
Overall "it works great, but when it stops... good luck getting them to fix it"

Update 6/14

Upgraded to the X1 platform. They tried to force me to get voice and rent a eMTA. It was a pain in the but to get the bill right, and just have TV/internet. After all the drama with that the service has worked great.

Update 12/20/11

I'm now paying more than ever for internet/TV. The service is pretty good, but I am still tempted by Uverse. Too bad Uverse has such slow internet service.

I haven't had to deal with them much, did have a short outage a few months ago but they gave me credit so I'm not too upset.

Update 6/9/11

I've now got both bonded DS and bonded US carriers, way to go Comcast. Service has been very reliable so far only one non maintenance window outage. TV service still working well, and multi room DVR is handy

Update 9/8/2010

Moved across town and wen through the same pain that is interacting with Comcast. I did a transfer of service and after moving none of the equipment worked. I called and found out that they never moved the equipment to my new account. After they fixed that my DVR and internet started to work. Unfortunately the DTAs would not work. I called three times finally getting an obnoxious girl who claimed that both of my DTAs were "broken". I decided to give up and just replace them, knowing there was nothing wrong with them. I went and got another and it worked fine after being provisioned.

Later that week I had multiroom DVR installed. I got new DCX3400m, and 3200m boxes and the service works great. The price isn't that much better than two DVRs but is cool and worth it to me.

The tech they sent this time was actually very good. Definitely knew what he was talking about and was quite professional.

Update 12/29/09

Had to deal with the behemoth that is the Comcast again. A neighbor of mine had cable installed and the tech disconnected two of my three cable outlets to hook them up. I had to fight with the CSR on the phone, get to a supervisor and go into the lockbox to determine that this was the cause. I gave them a chance to get a tech back out there to make the repair. The first supervisor lied and never called back, after saying he was going to try get a tech out. This supervisor actually left immediately after talking to me and never even attempted to get a tech out to me. I called back and obviously annoyed threatened to disconnect the new subscriber if they could not get me an appointment. They wanted to me to wait for three days for a tech to come out, which wasn't acceptable. After getting the supervisor to give me a next day appointment I made the cable work without disconnecting any other subscribers.

Dropped the tech support and services down to one and upped the value and connection up to four.

Update 6/25/09

Had a pretty horrible experience with disconnecting my cable even after I had canceled it.(May 6th) After the debacle with Comcast in April I was going to just use an ATSC antennas for TV and DSL. I unfortunately discovered that the only DSL I could get was 1.5/256, so I canceled the disconnect. Too bad they decided to it anyway. That next day I turned myself back on, rather than wait two days to get a tech out to do it. Later that day they had another outage. After the outage was resolved my service was still out. I ended up having to go back into the lockbox, and replace the splitters in there to get everything up and working. Since then it has been pretty good besides a 3 hour outage the other night.

Update 4/15/09

I just had to suffer through a 2 day outage that ended up being a one minute fix. The power blipped on Monday morning during a storm and the cable/internet went out. I called when I got to work and figured they'd have it fixed before I got home. It was early in the day, and the entire node was out, giving them plenty of time to fix it. FYI my apartment complex has its own node, and I'm one active away from it. I came home late Monday night, still no cable. I called again, CSR old me that someone had been dispatched at 12:31AM but they hadn't heard back from him. It was about 12:50AM so I gave them the benefit of the doubt and thought they'd have it back on before I woke up. I couldn't be more wrong. I woke up Tuesday, still no cable or internet. Called again during the day Tuesday still no ETA for the fix. I had been monitoring my connection from work and it was still down when I left work. When I got to my complex the Comcast truck was trying to get past the gate. I let him in, and explained that it's probably the LPI as the cable went out from and electrical surge. I told him exactly where the node was, and pointed out the LPI. He opened the LPI housing and replaced the fuse, viola we had cable again. Two days of waiting for a one minute fix. The guy commented that he would have come sooner if he had known it was such and easy fix.... thanks buddy... If it happens again, I'm replacing the fuse myself.

Update 12/21/08

I dropped HBO after the promotion ended bill was to high with all those extra goodies. I am however very happy with the internet service which is now 12/2 with powerboost to nearly 30Mbps.

6/2/08
I tried to deal with Comcast by calling the 800 number and hit a brick wall.... unreasonable charges for installation, long dates out for the installation etc etc etc.

Luckily the apartment community I live in has a contractor that works there very often. I was able to call and schedule the appointment with Comcast, then give him my account and work order numbers. He took it from there and got me hooked up.

So far the internet service is doing ok, ~6-10Mbps not the best for a powerboosted market but better than nothing.

Video is nice, doesn't look too badly compressed and I get plenty of channels.

member for 13.1 years, 5237 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by RokHed See Profile

• Location: Pennsville,Salem,NJ
Good "Real fast, Solid connection"
Bad "Tech support"
Overall "Tech support tried to lie"

$30.05 a month for 16/2 25/3 with powerboost cant be beat in my area. I have my laptop and wii on netflix and 5 machines doing various things.
Been rock solid for me. 250g is plenty for my home use. I like the cap. It makes heavy users pay for degrading my service.
Got the speed bump to 20/4 Just as stable now only faster.
Best High Speed by far!
11/26/10
Still the best internet in my area.
12/18/2010
Solid performer..No downtime
1/25/2011
Stable and fast
4/19/2011
Raised the price by 3 bucks, So Now I pay $33ish. However i get even more speed now on the same tier. with the PB i now regularly get 30/6 and sustained downloads of 20 All day long on multi gig downloads. Vonage is clear with no jitter.Stream netflix and hbo go with 0 issues.
the best internet hands down

»www.pingtest.net/result/39163969.png

5/27/11
Rock Solid 20Mb sustained PBoost 30ish. Dont get better than that for $33 a month

8/4/11
DL 26.4 UL 5.04
$33.04
Extremely Fast, Reliable, Affordable.
Simply the best in my area!

8/21/11

Chuggin along )

12/14/11
Fastest most stable option in my area.. and still 33.03

1/20/12
No downtime and still fast!

3/10/12
Just re-upped for 30.05 for Blast 25/5 after taxes .. still blazing fast with no downtime

4/5/12
Rock solid... 0 downtime

5/16/12
Still chuggin along.. no downtime

6/6/12
Stable
7/11/12
Just switched to triple play with everything but CMax and 4 boxes with Blast internet and phone for $119.99.. box fees waived and no Emta rental. Go to Best Buy and and work your deal.. Its worth it.

7/30/12

50/10 for the same price. I need to get a dual band card so my wireless can even keep up. Wired im gettin 54/10.5 By far the fastest internet in my area

9/18/12

Real Fast

11/28/12
Rock solid. no downtime

1/19/13
They just sent me a letter telling me that they were not billing me correctly and were going to raise me price by 7 bucks. SO since I do my services with the Comcast guy in the Bestbuy store I told them no thanks and since I have my price guarantee in writing I wont be paying the extra $7 but thanks for offering. She was dumbfounded and said that she would hafta look into it. Got a call back in 10 min. They gave me $10 off for another year... LOL thats even less than my price fix. Love Comcast. Just gotta know how to handle them

5/18/13
Rock solid. 0 downtime for months

6/1/13
Still the best internet available

6/26/13
Still no downtime and plenty of speed

9/9/13
Still a solid performer

10/29/13
Fast and as reliable as ever.

2/26/14
No downtime, Still no downtime.

3/13/14
No noticeable downtime in over a year

4/11/14
Had an issue losing sync. 3 or 4 days of spotty service. Didnt even need a house call.

7/13/14
Smooth Sailing. No issues at all

Comments:
RokHed

25/5

»www.speedtest.net/result/2074437823.png
Directly to the modem

Kewliuke

join:2003-01-18
Delmar, DE

Re: 25/5

Looks nice. Are your speedtest.net results typical of mine?

Re: 25/5

Similar yes. I still dont have a dual band card in my laptop, so wireless is around 30/10 but when I plug into my linksys its always over 50/10.

Actually mine seem more stable than yours if your on 50/10
Kewliuke

join:2003-01-18
Delmar, DE

Re: 25/5

Yeah, I'm on 50/10, wired. Comcast doesn't know why my speeds fluctuate like that.

Darknessfall
join:2012-08-17

Do you still pay $33?

Re: 25/5

No I upgraded to Tripple Play witheverything but Cmax.. 4 boxes phone and 50/10 internet. $119. From the Comcast guy in Bestbuy.

Wifi

Wired

FreeBSDuser

join:2013-05-15
Somers, NY

...

said by RokHed :
First time I saw somebody other than a employee of a cable company giant actually liking the cap.

Re: ...

Heck that was a long time ago. I think its 350 now maybe? Sure I like it if it allows me to have my full speed every time I want to use it. And I still never come close to 250 let alone 350. I have a Airave for my cell phone calls. On Wifi I run 4 laptops 3 cell phones and stream content from Netflix and Redbox.
Welp there is a first for everything. Im a Retired Truck Driver. Thanks for your reply.

Review by Tr0utp0nD See Profile

• Location: Clarks Summit,Lackawanna,PA
Good "Good Speed and Pings"
Bad "Could be fustrating if you need to call them."
Overall "Must do your research before buing"

Update for 2014:

After having Comcast for some time here are the positives:

Speeds have been great, and increased several times over the past. I get between 28 and 30 Mbps down and 5 Mbps, on standard performance package.
Having 5mbps upload is great as that's what you need to stream HD.
Usage caps have not been enforced in this market. That may change.
Has been extremely reliable in this area, and the few outages were often overnight while I was asleep.

Some Negatives:
Routing could be better, Everything here takes a trip to Pittsburgh and then to Ashburn or New York. That is at lot of extra mileage. A direct path though New York or Philadelphia (both less than 200 miles away) would be better, would probably reduce pings by 10 or 20ms. For example Pings to the west coast League of Legends server run about 100-120ms range, the same range applies to Europe West. There could be improvement as it takes about 35ms to leave Comcast's network.

There was some peering issues last summer, twitch,youtube, and LoL suffered, I used a VPN to get around the congestion. There hasn't been any problem this summer and I have not needed to VPN in some time.

member for 13.7 years, 2209 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Thenewguy201 See Profile

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
Good "Lighting fast speeds wired. Stable. Low pings."
Bad "Low wireless range. Latency seems odd."
Overall "Okay...my opinion might change if I could get a better wireless signal."

After having dsl I decided to get 20mbps comcast. They sent a gateway arris TG862g everything is fine and dandy using a wired connection with about 25mbps of speed which is enough for me. The service hasn't cut off but I only had it a week. No awkward buffers on videos,web sites load faster, games are lag free. Now for the issues the ping is just off its like i'm in another state. For example I live in Pennsylvania the Ashburn server says its 1050 miles away getting 37ms latency which isn't bad. But Sioux city is 300 miles away which is wrong is getting 98ms(I believe I could be on the wrong node if anyone could help please comment). Also wireless signal will not work in some rooms which I believe could be a firmware issue. Overall I would recommend this service to someone much better than dsl even though its still a little iffy.

Okay fios is coming and I will be comparing them in latency since a server 50miles away gets 14ms 0ms jitter I don't think it could be that much better but hopefully it could be less than 10ms fighting games are important to me and would like the latency I will be reviewing fios later. The modem i'm using seems to drop the connection sometimes on one desktop and only that desktop my dsl doesn't drop. I hope the equipment that verizon uses will be much better than the gateway comcast uses. Also my games pretty much lag free psnow seems to be doing okay with it.

Comments:

I care allot

@69.241.116.x

Latency.

Run a trace route and see where the latency happens. You could be going outside the Comcast network at that point they can not control what happens . I get a few calls a month where gamers complain about the ping times, %99 of the time its not Comcast but a faulty gateway on another ISP or game server is overloaded . Also running bittorrents will cause speeds to drop and ping times to go up as bittorrens are bandwidth hogs.