Review by Bachinator See Profile

• Location: Flint,Genesee,MI
Good "Reliable"
Bad "I avoid talking to technical support"
Overall "Good value for the money"

Original install in year 2000. Have updated the cable modem twice. Originally a DOCSIS 1. Upgraded to a Surfboard 5120 DOCSIS 2 in 2007, then upgraded to a Cisco DPC3008 DOCSIS 3.0 in July 2014 when a nearby lightning strike took out the 5120. The DPC3008 has been reliable so far, but as it seemed to be running a bit hot I stood it up on end and now it is running cooler.

I have the 25/5 "Performance" tier, and speed tests confirm that I get slightly better than the tiered speed. Service outages over the 14 years have been rare.

member for 305 days, 432 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by mikev See Profile

• Location: Leesburg,Loudoun,VA
Good "Blazing fast internet!"
Bad "Nothing yet"

·Callcentric
While I did sign up for Comcast's Blast Plus service (105Mbps internet plus Digital Economy TV, non-HD), I'm only really using the internet portion of the service. The TV box is hooked up to a Slingbox so I can watch it wherever I am... except home. Internet service is fast and seems to be reliable, with strong signals showing on my modem. I'm getting better than the advertised speeds on the down side, which is where it matters!

The technician arrived within the scheduled window and did what he needed to do and was done in less than an hour.

It's only been a week, but I'm a happy customer so far.

member for 12.5 years, 803 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Acct101 See Profile

• Location: Bensalem,Bucks,PA
Good "Great picure and fast internest speeds"
Bad "Sports packages are not in HD"
Overall "I am much happier since I moved back to Comcast."

·T-Mobile US
I am really impressed with the quality of the services Comcast offered to me. It's the best I have very had. Comcast has really gotten their act together. A+++

member for 3.1 years, 530 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by hoserama See Profile

• Location: Tomball,Harris,TX
Good "Awesome constant speed & latency, reliable connection"
Bad "Expanding caps loom over the death of Comcast being a good bargain"
Overall "Buy now with the understanding you may move later if they expand caps to Houston market area"

Having spent a year with AT&T I decided to switch to Comcast for the following reasons: more speed for the dollar.

I was eyeballing their Blast! package which for the Houston area market at the time I purchased (Oct 2013) is 50Mbit down/10Mbit up.

Since Comcast is trying to make profit from renting cable modems, I opted to buy my own. I purchased a Motorola SB 6141 from Amazon and completed my on-line sign up for Comcast.

My first impression of the on-line signup for Comcast service was not a good one. I felt it ridiculous I needed to pay them for a self-install kit which consisted of a splitter, coax cable, and a network cable; most people already have these. Comcast considers this a requirement and will not allow you to not purchase it.

It took about five days to receive the kit. The kit was given to the dog as a chew toy and I begun the install process. Comcast *TRIES* to make this a fairly painless and easy process. The cable modem during the install process will actually divert the web browser on your computer to the proper activation webpage to complete the process. In theory if it works, its very painless and easy for anyone to do. Unfortunately, the downfall of this easy process was literature sent with my self install kit did not explain exactly how to do it. Instead, I tried going to a Comcast activation page by manually typing in the URL which may or may not have been the issue why by self-install failed.

I had to call the dreaded phone support. After several minutes of being on hold I wrestled the self install kit from the dog and began chewing on it myself. When I finally got through to someone I realized the self install kit was to be used to tie around your own neck in the event you have to call Comcast phone support; its brutal! For something as simple as activating my cable modem over the phone, it took literally 12 minutes with a non-native English speaking Comcast employee to communicate to them the MAC ID of the cable modem, have it correctly repeated, and then he wanted me to give it back to him again.

So that's the bad. The good about it is, ever since the self install was completed via phone support all has been well. In fact, I can say all has been PERFECT. I always get the advertised speeds. Speedtests inside and outside Comcast exceed the advertised speed of 50/10mbit. I have never experienced an outage even for a few moments. During the peak hours of the day, I do not experience sub-standard speeds.

You can read all the reviews you want about an ISP and there will always be bad as well as good reviews. In my opinion, if you are looking to get Comcast in the Houston market area and are moving into a new home or recently built home, you should be fine. My house is a 2012 construction. The drop to my house stretches about 250 feet which is relatively close. All houses in my neighborhood are now complete and granted there are a fair share of residents who have AT&T but with a housing development of over 400 homes, I am impressed with the quality of service I am receiving in my house.

My only concern moving forward is the future of Comcast and how it appears to be spreading coverage of its caps. This family of five (2 adults, 3 kids) use on average 1tb a month. Xbox live, PC's, laptops, and another half dozen wifi devices. We are a connected family! Even my refrigerator and thermostats are connected. If Comcast begins rolling out their caps into the Houston area as they did others my internet bill alone would exceed several hundred dollars. This is the downside to Comcast and when implemented in all markets will result in fierce competition by other ISPs to gain Comcast's lost customer-base.

7/31/14 UPDATE:

Since obtaining service my internet connection has been flawless. There has not been any periods of high latency or slow speeds. Yesterday, on 7/30/14, my Blast service experienced a speed upgrade as part of a Comcast initiative to roll out faster speeds. My Blast service went from 50/10mbit to 105/10mbit.

There was one outage created by a neighbor digging in his yard, breaking the cable going to my house. Comcast was at my house within two hours to replace but failed to bury the cable. After 5 weeks of calling customer service about the matter, I ended up resolving the issue by filing a BBB complaint. The issue was resolved promptly.

Comments:

bigjohn

join:2005-05-26
Woodstock, GA

CAPS will come...

They're here in ATLANTA now.
Comcast is doing this market by market to keep the groundswell of HATE / Complaint against them to a minimum... If caps come to your area, remember - comcast is a government authorized monopoly. Contact your state government / county government and complain!
JohnShade

join:2009-03-07
Pearland, TX

Re: CAPS will come...

"comcast is a government authorized monopoly" Nope, bigjohn, no cable company is a government authorized monopoly. All cable companies have !!contracts!! with the local municipal governments to operate in the area for which the company pays fees. Your idea about contacting the Local/State goverenment is correct, however. The truth is, as people vote with their wallets, companies will alter their policies. That's called capitalism

Review by PaulHikeS2 See Profile

• Location: Manchester,Hillsborough,NH
Good "Speed, Reliability"
Bad "can't really think of any"
Overall "Satisfactory. Does exactly what I expect it"

For me, this is like a review of electricity. When I turn on a light, it comes on. Same with my internet. It always does exactly what i expect it to do.

member for 11.7 years, 2065 visits, last login: 2 days ago

Comments:

Review by ricklg See Profile

• Location: Laurel,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "Connection Speed, Reliability"
Bad "Tech Support"
Overall "Quite satisfied overall"

·Vonage
Latest Review at the bottom.

6/15/2004 Original Review:

After having various dial up services since 1992 (remember Prodigy at 2400 bps?) I decided to try Comcast HSI. Dial up was OK, but I had seen what broadband was like at work. In February 2004 I saw the Best Buy offer for Comcast HSI at $19.99 for 3 months ($42.95 after), Motorola SB5100 (free with rebate), Comcast self install kit (free with rebate), and a $75 Best Buy Gift card. The gift card was good for a router and a few bucks more. This looked like a good deal so I took the plunge.

Self install was a snap (sort of). I already had Comcast Cable TV service so there was no need for a technician to come out. I spent about an hour cabling up and running the self install software. I ran the connection software and it wouldn't connect. I tried and tried. I finally called Comcast to register the modem MAC address. Best Buy supposedly registered the modem with Comcast when I bought it, but Comcast had no record of it. After a few calls to get the right MAC address installed and their database updated (twice!) everything worked fine. The Indian lady was very hard to understand tho. It was about 6 hours from opening the box to being on line.

The service is 3Mb down, 256Kb up. The DSLreports benchmark shows 3.1 Mb down, 240Kb up. This has been consistent for the 4 months I've had Comcast HSI. It is sometimes a bit pokey (down to 2Mb ), but I've also seen 4.7Mb at times. I've only been down 3 times in 4 months and one of those times was during a storm where I lost power for 6 hours. The other 2 times were 10 to 45 minutes long. My area is a new installation for Comcast HSI so my mileage may be different than yours.

Tech support is terrible if you don't have a configuration question. I tried the on line chat help to ask about a port 123 (network time) network routing problem. It had been working then it stopped after a month. The chat guy was nasty and clueless. I called the 800 number and the first person I talked to was pleasant, but clueless. Neither knew what I was talking about and assumed I was stupid. I got to the next support level and finally talked to a knowledgeable person. It shouldn't take 3 hours to find someone who understands your question.

Overall I'm quite satisfied. As long as my service remains reliable and I don't have to call tech support I'll be very happy. I have other broadband choices (Millennium Cable and Verizon DSL), but Comcast seems to be the best available. I'm still thinking about the price difference from ATT Worldnet dial up ($16.95/mo) and Comcast, but I think I'm hooked on broadband.

4/15/2005 Update:

After 1 year with Comcast I'm truly hooked on broadband. My service suffered during the October 2004 through January 2005 speed upgrade. There were speed and modem sync problems during that time. Since they announced the upgrade complete in January 2005 I have had nothing but good, reliable service. I now have 4000/384 service with the upgrade. Speed tests consistently show 3700/350 or better.

They have had several bad DNS outages in April 2005, but I put an alternate DNS address in the router and never noticed the problem.

I haven't had to call tech support in a while (thank goodness), but I assume it's as abysmal as ever. I would go with someone else with comparable service and good tech support, but they don't exist.

11/15/2005 Update:

I'm still very satisfied with my Comcast HSI service. The Summer speed upgrades went well. I have been consistently getting 6Mbit/s down and 350Kbits up since August.

I had to call customer service (sigh) in July when a thunderstorm knocked the cable out. I called and found out it was a big outage. Two days later I called again (service rep was surprised I was still out) and got a truck roll 2 days later. The technician was very accommodating and spent about an hour troubleshooting. He determined the problem was in the distribution system. He put in a work order, but he couldn't confirm a completion date. Sigh. Not his fault, that's just the way it works. Late the next day my Internet connection came up.

I was without Internet service for 5 days. I can't blame them for the thunderstorm, but anything past a day or two (especially when it's in their distribution system) seems grossly inefficient to me. This outage also affected my neighbors so I would have expected a bit more alacrity in their response.

Besides this act of God, the service has been reasonably solid with only 3 outages in the last 6 months that lasted about an hour each. I don't think this is too bad.

Although I can't complain about the Internet connection, the price is still a bit high. I'll consider going to Verizon FIOS if the price is right.

4/15/2007 Update:

I still can't complain. My ratings remain the same. Service since my last update has been pretty solid. Download speed is very close to the advertised 6 Mb/s and I'm seeing 640Kb/s upload with the upgrade a few months ago. Power Boost works fine. There were a couple of short down times, but I guess they have to do maintenance sometime They didn't bother me in any event.

I haven't needed to call them for anything recently, but my previous opinions about tech support remain. I'm still biased and they haven't done anything to change that. (Not necessarily their fault, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth.)

Verizon finally put a connection box in front of my house, so I'm definitely FIOS ready at the curb. Verizon prices are commensurate with Comcast prices so I'm not ready to explore new ground by changing (yet). It's good to know I have a viable alternative to Comcast if they get unreliable or more expensive than Verizon. Comcast is making waves about ditching analog cable. If they try to charge me for the digital TV box(es) that may be my clue to go FIOS. I'm hanging tough for now.

5/25/2008 Update:

My opinion remains unchanged. The network has been reliable except for when Mother Nature causes problems. These outages were taken care of quickly. I made 1 service call during the last rating period. I asked for a line tech and got an installer. When he got here he told me I should have asked for a line tech...sigh. I fixed the problem myself (corroded connector). The installer magnanimously said he wouldn't charge me.

I'm still quite satisfied although tech support still needs a lot of work (but you already knew that!)

3/27/2009 Update:

I'm still quite pleased with the Comcast service and reliability. My service was upgraded to 12Mbit/1Mbit in December with no price increase (still $42.95). This upgrade is working very well. I am still using my original SB5100 modem (I'm glad I didn't rent it!).

The 250GB cap doesn't affect me yet so there's no reason to complain. I am concerned that if I use more streaming video that this could be a problem in the future. I was lucky to not need to call tech support in the past year so I avoided that frustration.

I received a Christmas gift of an HD TV. This has got me thinking again. Comcast HD choices are severely limited in my area despite advertising to the contrary. So far it's OK, but my choice of TV providers could affect my choice of ISP.

10/28/2009 Update:

Comcast has been very reliable since the last update. Because I haven't needed to call customer support I'm still quite happy.

12/13/2010 Update:

The service has been very reliable since the last update with contracted download speeds (12 Mbit/sec) being available most of the time. In fact I've seen 25 Mbit/sec on some large downloads lasting 10 or 15 minutes. This is beyond Power Boost.

Another year has gone by where I didn't call their (still presumably) abysmal customer service. I've had no problems that required a call. They've trained me not to call...sigh. This has been to their detriment. I've been contemplating upgrading my TV service for the past year or so. I've been afraid to change something (billing and service) that is working. A decent web page that shows ALL the options would be nice though.

5/20/2011 Update:

I'm still quite satisfied with my Comcast Internet. I've had no need to call them for service recently although I've noted in just the past few days that my modem power levels are becoming marginal...sigh. I hope I don't have to try to explain this to whatever droid I get on the phone.

Alas and Hallelujah! Their website FINALLY had an entry for ordering an HDTV box without the $40 installation fee, the $30/hr charge, and the miscellaneous cat sitting fee (or whatever). They've trained me not to call so I didn't. I get the local stations' HDTV signals from the raw cable (that's what I usually watch) so I haven't missed much. Comcast missed the 2.5 years of the $10 HD fee because of their abysmal customer service and a web page that is only relevant to new subscribers.

I took the plunge and I'm anxiously awaiting my HD self install kit. I'm less anxiously awaiting my next bill which I assume will not be correct or at least not what I expected...sigh.

I've looked at FIOS (the fiber is in front of my house), but I still haven't seen a reason to switch. The prices are about the same and Comcast has been reliable. It's good to know that I have another choice should Comcast decide I don't matter any more. I've had Comcast (and its predecessor) for 19 years so inertia also figures in to any decision to change.

As a side note I'm still using my original SB5100 modem I got free (after rebate from Best Buy) in 2004. I've certainly got my money's worth out of this puppy While my current 12 Mbit/2 Mbit service doesn't require anything better I suspect I'll need to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3 modem sometime soon. Maybe I'll put a new modem on my Christmas list?

7/19/2011 Update:

I am still satisfied overall with Comcast (TV and Internet) although my experience with my new HD set top box (STB) shows customer service is still lacking. I received my new HD STB by mail on May 23. Plug it in and it works after a few hoops to jump through. Nope, DOA. It didn't work because it wasn't in their database. It took a week to figure this out. Eight calls over two weeks couldn't resolve the problem. The installer arrived on June 4, but was clueless about my problem. Luckily she had an HD STB. This one worked. I waited for my bill.

The June bill wasn't too far off given that I finally got a $25 credit for my trouble. They charged me for HD between May 20 and June 4 with 1 day credit for May 27. I'm guessing my 1 day credit was someones attempt to fix the billing problem, but didn't do it right. I had told them not to charge me for service not provided. OK, I would be arguing about $5 or so. Being afraid of the can of worms I might be opening I just paid the bill. I then anxiously awaited the July bill.

The July bill charged me for 2 STBs. I've never had more than one working at a time. I called, gave a one sentence description of my problem, and the lady agreed with me. She immediately credited my bill for the overcharge. I just about fell out of my chair! I now await the August bill...sigh.

I won't upgrade my opinion of Comcast's customer service based only on this one ray of light. Getting HD service to work was a nightmare of phone calls with no one really knowing what to do.

5/13/2013 Update:

Service is still good and reliable. The price went up $5 (Internet) since the last review. TV went up even more...sigh. I had my coax severed by Verizon Fios contractors in Nov 2011. I asked them if they cut my cable. "Oh no senor, we no cut cable." Crap! I called Comcast.

A total outage didn't impress them so I got someone 2 days later. They gave me the impression this was expedited from the run-of-mill outage. The technician saw the coax was buried about 6 inches below ground and was 20 years old. He told me that he'd schedule my cable for replacement in the spring (2012). HA! It never happened as I thought! Everything still works and I've had a speed increase or two. I'm up to 20mbit/s on the performance tier.

Overall I'm still satisfied with the company and the service it provides. Customer support probably still sucks, but I've been lucky not to need any recently.

7/23/2014 Update:

My service has been quite reliable since my last review, but then I haven't changed anything since the last review. I lost a few HD channels that were thrown in when I first got the HD set top box. I guess they figure that there are enough HD channels now so that I won't complain. Of course much that claims to be HD is not...sigh. It would take $20 more to get back the channels I lost--it ain't worth it!

I have a policy of making no changes with Comcast. Things tend to get screwed up and take a month or two to straighten out if I do something different. Sometimes I feel like being adventuresome and add service, but my previous experience tells me to leave well enough alone. I'll just read a book!

No real need to mention that the cost keeps going up. I AM pleased with the 25Mbit down and 5Mbit up increase. This is good enough for what I do (for now). Go back to my comments from 10 years ago where I thought that 3Mbit/256Kbit was just the greatest. I was happy with my 56Kbit modem in 1995. Times change and our habits evolve. In 1995 I couldn't buy much of anything on the Internet. Today I buy things that I COULD go down to the store for, but I don't.

member for 10.7 years, 3153 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by csiemers See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR
Good "The install went very smoothly. The speed!"
Bad "Took couple weeks before an installer came out."
Overall "So far so good."

Was moving and decided I wanted to get rid of my land line which also meant getting rid of my DSL provider as they don't do naked DSL. The ones that did cap, and I knew the Comcast Business didn't and my sister had been using them for her business for several years quite successfully.
So picked up the phone and placed an order.
About a week later they had a "survey" which meant someone drove by and probably checked, from the pole, whether I was able to receive service. They never even came to the door. Then took another week for an installer to come out. Within about an hour he had me up and running on my 12/2 service.
Update 2/8/2012:
Price has gone up on the modem by $2 a month. Just smoke and mirrors price increase which doesn't have to be reflected in their advertised price.
Connection still going great. More speed than seem to ever need. Streaming movies, TV, and gaming all used on this connection.
Don't miss the Satellite TV or the DSL at all.
Update 10/10/13:
First 2 years was up a month ago. Don't remember too many outages, if any in all that time. Did sign up for a Static IP and reuped for 2 more years to lock in a lower price.
Update 7/15/14:
Connection is still going strong. Now at 16/3 with a Static IP. Works great and have had no issues. Plenty fast for my household.

member for 14.2 years, 6696 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by crk2h See Profile

• Location: Murfreesboro,Rutherford,TN
Good "New X1 guide is pretty nice. Has a great picture quality."
Bad "None so far"
Overall "I am loving the fast download speeds!"

·LightTUBe
·Charter
Update 5/21/2014
Installer came to setup and did a great job. Very courteous. Speeds so far are as advertised got 120 Mbps down and 22 Mbps up.

Update 5/17/2014

I am moving back to Murfreesboro. Signed up and scored a 2 year deal of 105 Mbps package with the 230+ Channel Package including HBO and Showtime and phone service for $129 a month. I will update once I get the service installed.

Update 3/14/2012

Still happy with my service Very Fast Internet!

Update 10/27/2011

Dropped triple play and now have internet and cable for $95 a month. (Digital Preferred + Showtime+ Blast Internet) I also have 1 hd box, 1 hd-dvr, and 2 dta boxes and was told my bill would run $95 for 12 months!!

Update 10/13/2011

Still having no problems with my service. Added Sports Pack, HBO and Showtime so now my bill is running around $160 a month for phone, internet, cable (HD Box, HD DVR and 2 DTA boxes) Internet speeds remain consistent always get around 25 Mbps down and 4 Mbps up. I think that the service has gone out maybe once since I have been back with them. I can't wait for the new set top box interface to come out whenever that might be. The beta looked really cool from the screenshots that I saw.

**Update**So far so good with Xfinity aka Comcast. I must say that the HD picture quality has improved tremendously here in Middle TN since last time I had Comcast. (I guess since they went all digital they don't have to compress as much or maybe a different type of compression is being used now) I am constantly getting speeds above 16 Mbps even during peak times. I did the $99 triple play and added an HD DVR and an HD box and bill runs around $140 a month for the 1st 12 months at least.

Comments:

Review by redtruck See Profile

• Location: Grottoes,Rockingham,VA
Good "fast, alway works, consistent speeds"

The service works as it should and I get the speeds I am paying for. (Blast) No problems with customer service reps, every issue is handled professionally and quickly.

Comments:

Review by devjonfos See Profile

• Location: Beaverton,Washington,OR
Good "Internet speeds continue to increase without additional cost"
Bad "HD technology fee of $10, Soft Cap of 250GB"
Overall "Good, fast, internet service at different tiers with affordable prices"

I've been a Comcast customer for just over six years. I started with their 6Mbps Internet service and Digital Starter TV. I've updated this review every few years. I've changed packages over the years, including cord cutting and running only the internet service.

Current Chapter: I now have an Internet/TV package consisting of Blast Internet and Digital Economy TV. The total package is about $94 including taxes. The bandwidth has increased to about 55Mbps download and 11Mbps upload. The Motorola Surfboard SB6121 I bought back in 2011, to save modem rental fees, has been very reliable and that model has received Comcast's highest marks in testing. Comcast has also announced that they will double internet speeds again for their various internet packages. Mine should double to 100mbps in the near future. My only gripe is that I have to pay an additional $10 to receive HD TV and that they have a soft cap of 250GB, "...enforcement of the 250GB data consumption threshold is currently suspended." With all the streaming video that I watch, I regularly bump up against that soft cap of 250GB. There are no overage fees now; however, after the merger...well, we'll see.

Cheers!