Review by suggy2004 See Profile

• Location: Conshohocken,Montgomery,PA
Good "Fast Internet Speed Doubled, clear phone & good TV package"
Bad "Outsourced Tech & Customer Service "
Overall "Saving money Over FIOS"

So Far so Good with Comcast

Started XF-triple Play:(Digital Starter, High-Speed Internet (50/10), Digital Voice Unlimited)
Internet upgraded to : 110/10

Free HBO for 3 Month's
Cable Card all for $79.99 for 12 month The $99.99 for the next year
Blast add on $10.00
Gateway Rental $8.00
Tax's, Charges & fee's : $8.94
Total : $106.93

member for 10.7 years, 721 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by nickelman See Profile

• Location: Mount Laurel,Burlington,NJ
Good "Never had an issue with speeds or service. "
Bad "None that I can think of. "
Overall "Very happy with TV and Internet services. Exactly what I want and the price is good for me. "

Very happy Comcast customer for the past year. I've been on the Blast internet plan for the whole year and just recently got the free upgrade from 50/10 to 105/10.

I've never had an issue with slowdowns during the day and I constantly get my advertised speed.

Anytime I've needed to call about a billing issue or a TV issue I've been helped ASAP.

Will stick with Comcast until either FIOS or Google Fiber comes crawling at my door!

member for 12 years, 4344 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by stidolph See Profile

• Location: Santa Cruz,Santa Cruz,CA
Good "no contract"
Bad "speed not as said on website, poor customer/tech support"
Overall "better than available DSL, at least this year"

Ordered Blast! "up to 50/10" from website ($35/mo) ... the Performance service was "up to 25/5" for $30/mo. Once installed, I find the service runs 29/4.8 or a trifle less so I figured Blast! hadn't been provisioned - I spent 3 hrs troubleshooting, including with Comcast tech support and never improved it. They finally decide they need to send a tech (so I'm on wait-at-home the next day, for a 2 hour window) who simply says, "the Comcast system treats all of California as being same bandwidth but that's a mistake and they shouldn't have said your address could get up to 50/10 at all - our local plant can't go that fast, in fact you're doing the best I've seen in Santa Cruz!" The tech said I should call Comcast to see about getting the $5/mo Blast! fee dropped.

I e-chatted with Comcast, got transferred to Billing, who said they would drop the $5/mo and assured me speed wouldn't change. Half an hour later, I'm off Blast! and speed drops to 17/2.5 (and the speed is much more variable during test, too). I kept testing and resetting to see if it would get better - it didn't. During the next couple days we also seemed to get a couple disconnects from Netflix and Google which we hadn't seen before, but maybe that's coincidence.

Oddly, two days later, a second modem arrives. (No idea why.)

I called back, Customer Service says all they can do is add Blast back at $10/mo ... but, since I was "inconvenienced" (by now I'm up to almost 6 hours dealing with this!) they could make it free for the first 3 months. So, over the first year it would cost me $90, rather than the $60 I started with. I declined and noted I could just completely cancel service and start over. So then the CS rep does the "let me check with the Loyalty Dept" - luckily, no hold music, so I was able to do some light reading. The CS rep comes back and says he can reverse the Billing dept action after all ... he adds back Blast! for $5/mo x 12 months, and I'm back to where I started (except that I'm significantly irked with, and suspicious of, Comcast.)

And he's sending me return labels for the excess modem.

Summary: Blast! is faster and more speed-stable than Performance, but neither meets the level the Comcast website implies. The Comcast "promo" price is about the same as my DSL provider's regular rate of $40/mo for 6/0.7 but the ping/latency and connectivity seems somewhat less stable than was the DSL line ... if it weren't for the "remote terminal" blocking ADSL2+ access I would have upgraded the DSL to Cruzio's "Velocity" offering. Comcast online Tech Support has the wrong information in Comcast databases and will cheerfully waste your time resetting everything over and over; and, CS seems to be like dealing with a junior salesman at a backwater auto dealership.

Comments:

BLACKEYES

@64.236.128.x

I hate Comcast

THEY OFFER A PACKAGE AND THEN REMOVE CHANNELS CLAIMING THAT HAD COMMITTED AN ERROR, THIS IS HAPPENED IN LOUDOUN COUNTY IN VIRGINIA...
A HATE COMCAST BUT UNFORTUNATELY IS THE ONLY OPTION CABLE THERE WHERE I LIVE...
CUSTOMER SERVICE HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE FLOOR LEVEL

V0X

join:2000-08-17
Ooltewah, TN
·EPB Fiber Optics

Re: I hate Comcast

Similar situation where they offered to add Showtime and Digital Preferred for 9.99 a month for a year, my bill went from $34.00 to $107.00. After calling to have them just put my bill back to where it was, they suddenly seemed unable to do so. I'm on hold now, fourth call to them... this time to disconnect service.
appleseed

join:2014-05-17

Experience with Comcast

It's a b mixed bag with Comcast. White the bandwidth is good and generally working I find it difficult to contact anyone who knows well network configuration even the units provided by Comcast. A recent upgrade to the Xfinity modem/router has been a struggle but it does work (mostly) and after some hours functions mostly for my local LAN and 3 wireless access points around a larger house. I will post my remaining struggle with Apple Airport Express units to a specific forum.
appleseed

join:2014-05-17
It's a mixed bag with Comcast. White the bandwidth is good and generally working I find it difficult to contact anyone who knows well network configuration even the units provided by Comcast. A recent upgrade to the Xfinity modem/router has been a struggle but it does work (mostly) and after some hours functions mostly for my local LAN and 3 wireless access points around a larger house. I will post my remaining struggle with Apple Airport Express units to a specific forum.

Review by monsignor_ See Profile

• Location: Monroe,Ouachita,LA
Good "internet and cable"
Bad "goes out once per 6-7 weeks"
Overall "good isp except for cap limits"

Everything good. 300 GB capped sucks. I wonder how this cap will work since comcast is looking at netflix...

Comments:

Carolyn

@166.147.121.x

Customer service

Comcast has the best product but the WORST customer service!

Review by awasser1 See Profile

• Location: Bloomfield,Hartford,CT
Good "Quick was working within 30 minutes"
Bad "Tech Support not very knowledable"
Overall "Excellent value and quick service"

upgraded automatically March 2014 to 105/10. good service very few interruptions at all. Happy price is about $70

After having ATT Dsl 6.0 for like 7 years We finally decided we needed a faster speed at our home. Already had Digital Cable and was paying about $120 per month. After initially speaking to Sales I think the guy was in Mexico and then calling back and getting someone in Connecticut it was determined we could just go to the local office and pickup a modem. Service would be hooked up ASAP and it would be about $35.99 per month for 6 months including modem rental. We havent gotten the new bill yet so the prices could be a little off. The service was already working when I brought the modem home. Really easy to hookup with self install kit. The only hurdle was I was only getting like 26 /5 for speed. I called several times and tech support would say "Your service is new it takes a little while to get 50 /10" this didnt make sense to me. After reading the forums here I found out most like my modem profile was incorrect. I did as I was told and contacted Comcast in the chat forum and voila it was fixed. I regularly get speeds way about 50 mbps and sometimes close to 100 at off peak hours. uploads about 11. So far works marvelously after about two weeks.

member for 10.5 years, 585 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dr2500 See Profile

• Location: Lancaster,Lancaster,PA
Good "Most bandwidth in my area."
Bad "none"
Overall "Comcast service is dependable in my area."

Blast! Internet Service
Equipment Used – Motorola SB6121
Service Type – Dynamic IP 105 Mbps download 10 Mbps upload.
I have been a Triple Play customer from January 2007 to July 2012.
I now only have internet services from Comcast.

member for 9.1 years, 2329 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

tempest30

@comcast.net

horrible service

I had to change my bundle because it ended when I called the rep I spoke to told me to go into a triple play for the same price of my old double play when I get my bill its extremely high the rep completely lied to me and they won't even take anything off my bill now I'm stuck with a big bill to pay because their policy is bull the company talks about customer satisfaction but their reps are liars and I'm not satisfied at all if where I live let me have a dish I would go to satellite because I just got hustled by a company that says they are all about their customers when all they are about is the customers money

Review by owlyn See Profile

• Location: Newtown,Bucks,PA
Good "Speed, price/value"
Bad "Tech Support could be better"
Overall "Generally pretty good"

UPDATE

After a couple of years, my price has crept up, but my speed has increased, and some channels and services have been added, so it's pretty much a wash. My speed is now at 105/10 (Blast!). Tech support is worse now that when I signed up. If I didn't make a contact by happenstance at the national tech support center, or contact Comcast Direct here, I'd be stuck with a few issues. I don't know how the average person can get something outside of normal problems fixed.

Still, I am happy overall, and have no plans on switching to FIOS.

END OF UPDATE

I've only had the service a few days, but so far, it's been comtastic. I'll write more after some more experience. Loving it so far. I can stream Blueray off the net with no problems at all. VPN to work is almost like lightning.

I dropped Verizon because of horrible tech support. I had DSL and was considering FIOS, but the wretched tech support turned me off. I started with the 10/2 speed triple play package with 2 DVRs and 1 DTA, HBO, SHO, and STARZ. 140/month including everything. Comcast has since increased my speed to 20/4 at no charge. My STARZ and SHO promos have ended, and my cost is still the same. Order and install was a snap, though the installer should have used a double wall jack for the phone instead of a plug in splitter. I found out after the fact. Not the end of the world. An Arris Cable Modem was supplied. The backup battery is Lithium Ion, so the whole unit is very small, about the size of a hardcover book. The backup battery for the phone should last 8 hours. I have the modem, and all my other equipment plugged into a UPS, so I should be able to get more time out of the phone if need be. Turns out that the original modem was bad- it did not recognize the battery. Tech came out, and gave me a new modem with battery. So, I now have two 8 hour batteries. Of course, who uses a landline phone these days anyway...

member for 10.3 years, 4376 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mike5026 See Profile

• Location: Rockford,Winnebago,IL
Good "Fast stable internet way faster than DSL"
Bad "Horrible Technical Support takes them forever to register a modem"
Overall "If you want a faster speed go with Comcast but if you want good tech support I wouldn't recommend it"

My current speed is the Blast! 16/2 at a discount price of $49.99 for 6 months and $62.95 after that. The installation was pretty quick and painless they just installed a cable wiring for me for free and got it up and running within 30 mins. The bad experience I only got was the modem kept unregistering itself and I kept getting the walled garden(Welcome to Comcast Activation Screen). Which is quite annoying you would have to call in to register it. I don't do the install software because theres no point to get it. But the speeds are usually fast and powerpoost usually makes my speed up to 30mbps not bad!

Update 9/24/10

I currently upgraded to the extreme 50. I must say it is lighting fast! I bought my own modem SB6120 so I don't have to pay comcast's crazy pricing as if I'm already paying for a crazy price. I'm still a happy customer here!

Update 10/14/11

Decided to get Comcast again after several attempts with a different carrier. I did have a couple problems with the billing department charging me several things that they did not do such as Wireless Network Install. Had to wait for a credit that took about 4 weeks. Other than that I use a SB6121 and a router Linksys E4200 including a Wireless Extender Linksys RE1000. Still getting fast lightning speeds for a low price of $39.99.

Update 05/28/12

Still have Comcast Blast! for $39.99. So far I am happy with the speeds but there would be an occasional slow speed or connection issues as usual.

Update 10/05/13

Still have Comcast Blast! for $64.95. Price increased even from years of service. Speed has been upgraded to 50/10 which is amazingly fast for me. Also, upgraded the modem to have 8 downstream and 4 upstream. Current modem is Motorola SB6141 and using a Apple Extreme Airport Base (2013 version)

Update 04/23/14

They have upgraded my speed to Extreme which is 102mbps/20mbps. It is not bad but the price remains around the 40-50 per month.

Comments:

Review by whfsdude See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
Good "FTTH, good speeds, awesome latency, no bandwidth cap, zero downtime so far. Great installation!"
Bad "Price is higher than I would like. Upstream is a little low (100mbit/s)"
Overall "Well worth it if you can justify the price."

Edit:

Got upgraded to 505mbit/s (actually 530mbit/s) and 100mbit/s up awhile ago. Service has been rock solid and I still love it.

Older review:
_____
I have had 305/65 service for 8 months now and am extremely happy with it.

The installation process was started late october with a request to ComcastSteve in the direct forums to have someone call me about it. About a day or two later I received a call, and shortly after was assigning a sales rep. who would coordinate the order and installation.

About a week after Comcast came out and did a site survey. This was a survey to make sure the prem. was okay for a fiber install. Then they walked to the node and checked the manholes to make sure there was room to run new micro conduit from the node (4 blocks away) to my pole.

The install required three visits. The first was to run the fiber pair from the house to the pole. The second which did not technically require a house visit but I wanted to stay in the loop, so they stopped by, was to run the fiber from the node to the manhole. The manholes are Verizon owned, so this required coordination with Verizon. This was actually the biggest delay and took about a week. The third was to splice the fiber into a splice enclosure and install the CPE (Ciena 3931). The install for this is obviously lengthy but doesn't require your presence the entire time. Of course, I wanted to see the whole thing.

By far the best install experience I have ever had. Pre-installation communication was great. I was given the cell phone number of the engineer responsible for my installation. Everyone from the line techs to engineering were wonderful, and explained every process of the install.

I don't have too much to say about the service as it just always works and is great. I've never had any downtime, other than swapping my router (pfsense atom box), and upgrading its software.

Speed is great, latency is under 2ms to Google. I always get 305/65. I use 5-6 terabytes a month without a peep from Comcast.

Price could be a little better; why is it not gigabit? 305/65 just seems like an arbitrary number.

My original thread contains a little more technical detail: [url]»Getting 305/65

member for 11.5 years, 6066 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

A T

join:2000-07-30

Very informative

Thanks for taking the time and sharing your experience.

Review by ClockerXP See Profile

• Location: Sterling Heights,Macomb,MI
Good "Great OnDeman Choices and Lots of HD. Phone works as advertised with no extra fees"
Bad "CS not as down home friendly as WOW. Bundle prices creep up over time."
Overall "Best Price/Services Ratio!"

·WOW Internet and..
X1 is Awesome. 105/20 Internet is Awesome. Phone works great.

Comcast's price beat WOW's and they over a lot more services/channels/ondemand/internet speed!