Review by Davy49 See Profile

• Location: Jacksonville,Duval,FL
Good "Price for value received is acceptable."
Bad "They seem slow to offer 'updated' technology."
Overall "Overall a good value for the money."

Since writing my 'original' review of Comcast, some things are different. Such as...at least in my case, I used to contact various department's within the company to try and obtain some reduction on my monthly bill. That got old with me..and my feeling is 'Comcast SHOULD reward their long time subscriber's, who pay their bill on time every month'..but they DON'T ! So I gave up on trying to play what I call the 'begging game', I just decided..it wasn't worth it, so as long as I have the money, I'll just 'suck it up' and pay the posted pricing. What rather irks me at the present time is how rather slowly Comcast releases 'new' technology to the public, just like now..I'm interested in the X1 platform, because I'm tired of what I have at present..but I can't get it at the present time, due to 'supposed' equipment shortages. Of course I read here in the forum's about all of the varied issue's subscriber's are having. I really wonder if the platform was released too quick, I try my best to stick with Comcast, but like other subscriber's..I realize there ARE other provider's out there. Right now I'm just having a 'wait and see attitude' .

David

Comments:

Review by Canezoid See Profile

• Location: Powder Springs,Cobb,GA
Good "Packages competitive, DOC3"
Bad "1st level support"
Overall "Value is here, if on right bundle"

Had Comcast Digital Starter TV installed in my HTR. Added HSI a few days later. I'm a long time DSL subscriber and have not had any cable services at my house since Media One days.

Sales office called a couple of times to confirm appt and waived the DVR install fee. Pleasant experience w/ tech, ran brand new line from pole and politely installed a 3 way for me to tie my coax home runs to. New service up in 1 1/2 hrs.

TV:

Have heard and read the horror stories regarding issues, but thought I'd give a cable a shot, so far so good. TV/HD is fine, some aspects of Dish I like better, but in general both are the same. My only complaint as of yet is w/ the Fox HD, live broadcasts look great, but others seem pixelated Bones/Lie to Me, much clearer on Dish for that channel. Really like the VOD.

HSI:

Absolutely no complaints, this has been great. Was undecided due to my DSL experience, but knowing the Telco has no plans a/o yet for upgrades and I'm already on 6M service along w/ the knowledge of DOC3 going on. Having seen my neighbor cut back to cable HSI, they've been quite happy I decided to just give it a whirl, $19.99 for a year and a 30 day trial for the Performance tier, had nothing to loose. Got my own modem (Moto 5101), hooked up the coax and signed up, easy as pie. Was getting 25M+ DL w/ UL around 3M at first, but I think the 12/2 updates are goin on as now I'm consistently seeing 15+ DL and UL around 6M, which is somewhat confusing because the website states w/ Powerboost UL should be around 3M, not complaining though. Netgear router handles our traffic w/ Moto no probs.

Conclusion:

I think I'm in good Comcast area here, never had issues in Media One past and there are more updates now. I feel sorry for the ones who've not had good experiences, but that can happen w/ any service company. Hope it only gets better. I thing my ratings are fair mixed from 5's as this is new here and will have a better opinion down the road as more experience is gained from use.

4/30/09:

Well sorry to say this has become disappointing. Started having probs w/ TV side. 2 locals are pretty much un-watchable during the day, was really ticked off not being able to see the race last weekend at Talle on HD side. Put in a trouble call, took half day, 2 techs showed up and did pretty much nothing except test for signals and change out the new splitter the install tech did for me, what a joke. I told them I had already "direct" connected my HTR feed to the service wire to which trouble followed and NO it's not my wire, there's no prob w/ Dish on same connection that I've had for 3 yrs now. Install tech had already verified good signal status on the home-run before the rec'r.

Sorry, can't commit to that. While I really like the HSI, I've opted out per my 30 day trial. Back to DSL and Dish.

Get it together Comcast, gave you a chance and you blew it.

5/26/09

HSI update: Am back on HSI only, called back sales and got my rate for a year. On Performance Tier, still seeing 15M on DL w/ querky UL's, guess 12/2 upgrade is coming soon. Looking forward to seeing new tiers when they become avail.

Overall no complaints although I do lose connection every now and then, confirmed w/ my neighbor that he's having same issue. Modem logs indicate quite a few timeouts through course of the day which leads to the modem reboot. Not sure about calling in yet.

7/9/09

DOC 3 upgrades recently completed, got the flyer in the mail and upgraded to Blast 16/2 for $5 more on $19.99. Still have some drops here and there, even so Blast rocks!! Pretty much see in the 20's on DL w/ powerboost and UL's hover around 4-5M.

Still on the fence about the whole TV thing, but still might consider trying again if the right special comes up.

9/4/09

Ditched my dish and signed back up on a 12m TV package saving me some $$. Was somewhat learious because of the past issue on the CATV side.

Called up, requested self install. Got rec'rs w/in a couple of days, which included a brand new 3400 DVR. All went well except for the 3400 setup probs, come to find out now after all of the hoopla that the one I initially installed was actually working correctly. I ended up having to switch out 4 of these units (1 of which was actually defective), by the 3rd tech visit he had to put in a 3416, been working fine. Would really like a 3400, but was advised to wait. HD looks great, waiting for the Digital Starter lineup to update per what it shows listed on the website. This problem is what caused all the 3400 screw ups in the 1st place.

Comcast came through and replaced pole taps recently, great! This was probably what was causing my TV issues and no more of all the T3 timeouts in modem I was seeing, although does reboot every once in while.

Right now am very pleased w/ service, just get the 1st level support thing straight and all should be good. If they had the correct info on hand w/ my new 3400 at first, I'd still have it running, caused a lot of running around for nothing.

4/23/10

All has been running great. Recently swapped to sb6120, still on Blast tier, runs smooth, bonding 4 channels. Don't see any of those crazy powerboost speeds as others claim when they get a new one set up. I will pretty much boost up to about 25M dwn w/ 3-4 up.

Channel upgrades to Digital Starter has added more HD, good to go. Just hope I can re-do a good bundle come Aug, don't wanna have to be swtichin around again.

Only complaint would be when I called in to have my sb6120 activated, got some hoopla from the rep who took my info, but said it would be some 24hr garbage, said I don't think so, cant be out of service for 24hrs and just guess if its working. Just contacted ComcastSteve here, forwarded him my new info and he took care of it, no biggie.

Thanks for now Comcast.

__________________________________________

1/2/2013

Happy New Year.

Re-connected back on Performance promo. Have been off cable internet for a while. Self install back on my 6120, all is running great. Speeds are steady 25/4 w/ powerboost.

Wife works PT from home, we have Uverse 12M but I wanted a backup connection in case something went down. Will prob just downgrade Uverse to lowest tier for now to save $. She has stated for what she does on the PC for her work that cable seems smoother/faster, so it'll be primary for now.

On a 6 month promo at $29.99.

_________________________________

11/2013

Still on HSI, switch to Blast Plus last week on special temporarily, YOWZAAA !

Switching back to Double Play Starter bundle, HSI back to Performance, which is OK. Will have anyroom DVR, Hallmark stuff for the ladies.

Looking forward to X1 stuff here in this area. Services worked fine in the past, hope it will now.

Comments:

Review by kataan See Profile

• Location: Greenacres,Spokane,WA
Good "Internet conection is good and only game in town."
Bad "Tech and billing support still not up to parr."
Overall "Best service available for the money."

Nov. 25 2013

Since my last update things have been pretty smooth! Comcast is delivering the services as promised and then some. My phone service is great, so no complaints there. My broadband service is also going great. I receive just above my provisioned speed and it is a solid connection with low pings. I am not regretting upgrading to business class. I get better service, I receive notice of scheduled down times, techs are great, customer service is better. I am also glad I don’t have to worry about them imposing a low cap. While I don’t use a lot less then 500GB at most. I just don’t want the hassle! I also like the improved customer support when needed, while still not the best it is miles above residential customer support.

As for TV service I am sticking with an antenna and a Roku. I can't afford Comcast or the Dishes. Especially for what I see as crap! YMMV

__________________________________________________________________________________

Feb. 17 2012

The install went great the tech knew what he was doing and got everything done right. He was in and out in 30 minutes. I did only take 7 days for TTL. It is nice not having to worry about the cap and have some of the other advantages of Business Class. Tech support is still a bit on the snotty side. They act like “How dare you bug me.” I suppose that is better than it has been where they were just all out rude.

My order when mostly smoothly, there was one error I requested non-published service on my phone line and they didn’t put it on. I am now receiving over 30 telemarketing calls a day. Despite being on the do not call list. They have fixed this, however it will take over a week for the directories to update and remove my number and the calls to stop. Also I still can’t access my account online. As I am waiting for the pin to access it. They said it would take 5 days to show up, still waiting 10 day later and two complaints. All told I should have to wait another 3 days.

So far I am very pleased with the service and the techs, but as usual the customer service is mediocre.

Jan.31, 2012

I have been scheduled for an install for Monday. So a 7 day TTL. Which is not so bad. Customer service seems to be better on the Business side. I will reserve full judgement until I need help from tech support or billing. That is where I usually have problems.

Jan. 30, 2012

I decided to upgrade to Business Class today. I keep on bumping the cap and I just don't want to worry about it any more. Not to mention I get priority over the network didn't hurt my decision. That and being able to run servers.

I have my order in they are suppose to call me tomorrow to scheduled and appointment to upgrade the modem and such. I will let you know how it goes. Maybe I will upgrade there rating?

I ordered the 22/5 for 136.90 before tax. This also includes one line phone. So we will see.

Must say support seems nicer now, but this my have been that I was ordering something and not asking for help?

Aug. 4, 2011

Customer service has improved slightly in my area. I much appreciate that! Internet Speeds are consistent at Blast 20/4 for the same price as Performance, I still have my phone at Local and More. I may have softened my opinion of them a bit as I have not had to deal with costumer service a lot too

Oct., 20 2010

Comcast continuing fee increases have forced me to to cancel TV. Leaving me with Internet and Local and More phone. While still expensive it is unfortunately cheaper than Qwest. My Major complaint is still support. Which is practically non- existent. To get them do downgrade my phone took two months and a call to the Office of the President of Comcast. This is almost becoming the only way to do business with them in Spokane anymore. I am not the only one. Either that or you need a lawyer and the media with you! There office workers in the Spokane center are rude, condescending, unhelpful, and just plane stupid. Most should be fired as the refuse to help customers and hurl insults at most customers. This is the nicest thing I have to say about them. I am even considering leaving for Qwest just to get better support... but I have doubts on that!

June, 10th 09

Comcast keeps my area among the first to upgraded which is a plus, however the tech support has continued to go downhill.

1. I had to change one thing on my account and I practically had to sue them to get them to do it. I was in contact with legal and every thing!

2. They put me on paperless billing without my permission and then blame me.

3. They said my promotion expired on 6/15 when it acutely expired on 5/20. So I was left with a whole bevy of pro-rated fees that made my bill total look like a social security number.

All I have to say is if they had TRAINED tech support I would not have any of the problems with them that I do. They have great service, however at an evermore ridiculous and inflated price.

Oh and remember if, you ever have any major problems like this with Comcast and the normal channels won't help Call 215-665-1700 and ask for the Executive Complaint Center. It solved problem number three

If, there were any other company I could go to other than Qwest (still at 1.5Mbps) I would be GONE!

January 29th 07

Still the best game in town. Only competition here is Qwest with 1.5Mbps DSL at the same price. Only complaint is the connection has been unstable for all most a two weeks now. Not sure why but I am sure it has something to do with getting the "Permaboost" and then loosing it. Maybe we are getting an upgrade soon and this is a problem with the upgrade. Seen it before just hope they fix it soon!

September 10th 05
I can't complain to much as I don't have many option in my area for Broadband. Comcast is OK. They installed very quick and had me up and running in 5 minutes. My service is extremely stable, with the exception of continues DNS outages. The only problems I have are with tech support who either knows nothing about a computer/cable or no one ever answers the phone. One time it took me three days to get someone!

Comments:

jhejr

join:2010-10-10
Verona, MS

Bad service

Welcome to Comcast. You have it better than some of us do. We have Comecast or nothing.

Review by rody_44 See Profile

• Location: Quakertown,Bucks,PA
Good "8-2008 and still good, also still thirty three a month"
Overall "very good connection"

very very good connection.still good 1 outage that lasted 3 hours in the last three years. speeds are now 6-750 with 16-1 available for 10 dollars extra. ability to reach speeds is 24/7 update, still good after all these years. ten dollars extra now gets you 16/2. im now paying 33 instead of 43, edit! now 6-10-09 still no outages but i gave up my triple play so now im back to paying 43 dollars for internet and 20.50 for tv. still very happy with the service after all these years. Still a good connection but getting pricey now.

member for 10.1 years, 3655 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by DanM64 See Profile

• Location: Mokena,Will,IL
Good "Rock solid connection- MUCH faster than the DSL offered in my area."
Bad "Pricey compared to offerings in other areas of the country."
Overall "Fast, reliable internet. A great option for those who can't get fiber."

I ordered the Performance 16/2 package in Dec. 2012. The installer was great, he got me up and running very quickly. My original promo has expired- the non-promo price can be found if you read the Terms when you first sign up for service.

When the most recent speed upgrades were announced in March 2013, I upgraded to the Blast! package, which offered 50/10 for only $10 a month more than Performance which was only half as fast.

While $74.95 a month for internet is high, the Blast! package is a better deal than the Performance package. Comcast is a much better deal than paying $44 a month to AT&T for 3/512kbps DSL, which is the fastest DSL in my area!

I've had no connection problems so far. It went down for half a day after a major storm, other than that I've had no downtime at all. When I had cable internet from 1999-2003, I always had problems with congestion. Things sure have changed since then! Any speedtest I have ever run since getting Comcast has either met or exceeded my packaged speed with very low ping times. I typically test 57/11 using Shaperprobe.

I have been very happy with Comcast's internet service so far, and unless you can get fiber, I would recommend Comcast to anyone!

member for 1.2 years, 327 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by nonameyet See Profile

• Location: Sellersville,Bucks,PA
Good "A lot Cheaper than Verizon"
Bad "none yet..."
Overall "saving 60 bucks a month for the same service as verizon"

Finally got tired of New Customers getting all the " Deals " I know Comcast is going to raise the rates, But.
saving money is Good.

member for 13.3 years, 4363 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by spike010101 See Profile

• Location: Lacey,Thurston,WA
Good "Good Speed"
Bad "No real problems, other than Comcast's customer service is horrible."
Overall "Good"

I've had 50/10 for a while now. Haven't had any issues at all with their internet. But their customer service staff are horrible.

member for 10.4 years, 1686 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Al In Parker

Worst Experience Ever

Transferring my Comcast service from Illinois to Colorado was a nightmare and continues to be so.

I was not given the phone number promised to me. The number given to me was recently used by a girl who apparently did not pay her bills because I get lots of calls from businesses looking for her.

I now receive a lower level of television service (fewer channels and fewer premium channels) and would be charged a 38% cost increase above my Illinois bill if I switched to a service level somewhat close to what I had before.

After 24 days the issue is no closer to being resolved than the day the service was turned on at the new location.

Totally incompetent is the way to describe Comcast.

Review by Netkeys See Profile

• Location: Fort Lauderdale,Broward,FL
Good "Great Speed, reliable"
Bad "Non to speak of"
Overall "It's been great I have a DSL for backup and haven't needed it in 9 months"

Had DSL previously

50 /10 meg 43.95 Month
Self Installed without problems Took about 10 minuets

Arris TM705G Modem with a pfSense router

It's been very reliable. Much better up time then my U-verse backup. When I have called support it was taken care of quickly. I've had the service for about 2 years. Have a 39.00 per month U-verse Elite: 6 Mbps / 1 Mbps for backup although I hardly ever need it.

I have my business clients that have switched from DSL and U-Verse that are much happier and have better uptime. Non have had any complains with service response times.

member for 13.3 years, 1892 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by FarmerBob See Profile

• Location: Littleton,Arapahoe,CO
Good "It's there when I need it and has performed admirably since install (until Spring 2013 Increase) . . ."
Bad "Nothing just yet. And hoping nothing later . . . Spoke too soon . . ."
Overall "When needing to flee from CenturyLink, these guys stepped up. Tripped, stumbled, stepped up, tripped again . . . getting there."

·EarthLink
·ViaTalk
Update: 10/11/13:

Well for the first 18 months, not counting the billing issues that finally got fixed by ExecCSR #2, it was great. But since the "Speed Increase" in the Spring of 2013, it's been a bit of a nightmare. My speed and solidarity hit the floor when it was suppose to be increased. I am now on my 7th ExecCSR who I have only heard from once after leaving 6 VMs, so I guess it's on to number 8. Tracking speed graphs from the best speed test site SpeedOf.me looks like a child bouncing a ball on the floor. I had a personal Tech Rep that in the beginning first said that it was all on my end until I told him to look up my last tech visit, which the tech that came out got pissed off because everything was perfect, if not better. He sad that we were wasting his time when he could be helping someone that really needed help. I didn't ask for him ECSR #4 said one had to be dispatched to start the ball rolling. After checking this report my over the phone regional tech super, now says it's on their end, he'll check into it and call me back. And at that time my 18/3 speed was all I should expect he said. Needless to say, I never heard back from him.

I had 30/6 solid before they started jacking around with things. That was last April and I have not heard from anyone since. And when I try to call him, he is no longer at the ext that he gave me. I have been told the reason that I am on my 7th CSR and techs are not returning calls, is because their department has been so successful at solving problems that they were escalated to cover the whole country instead of my particular region. Or so the dept head told me. Then she said I'd be hearing from another ESCR and I have yet to. This was last June. The day we buried my father (July 18th), what macabre milestone, my speed went back to 30/6 and has been all over the as the speed graphs show. But over the past couple of weeks things are leavening off at 30/6. Still a bit rocky and not a solid as it was. Good traffic happens with a solid connection, not speed. Speed is just an illusion that they use to make you think you got it good. WRONG. And their Flash or JAVA based speed tests can be "rigged". Use SpeedOf.me for a clean HTML5 test. Of which shows I have a faster connection than the new IPv4 & 6 test Comcast is using now. So day by day I watch and wait, when I use to just cruise along. We'll have to see what happens next. Oh and if you have a good connection, relish it and do not take it for granted. It may be gone tomorrow.

12/19/11:

First, my sales rep was great. I had an old eMail address for a manager that I worked with on a business install that was no longer with the company. But the eMail I sent was properly forwarded and I was contacted with no further effort on my part. She was right there with the info I needed and instantly took care of any weirdness or complications. Hurdle number one cleared easily.

So . . . It's been a little over a week since install. I wanted to give it a couple days for both me and the service to settle in a bit. I had to postpone a couple of times, weather issues. I wanted the installers not to have to deal with snow. Postponing was easy and there were no issues nor people getting perturbed about it and their electronic system keep accurate pace with all the changes. Once up and running, speed is great. 3X faster down, 6X faster up at a quarter of the price. Two Techs were dispatched, although only one was needed, but it made the install a lot faster. AND unlike "certain satellite installers", these guys were not afraid to go up on the roof and get things done as needed. It makes a big difference. These guys were sharp, confident and considerate. They worked with me as if I was their direct superior making it a team effort where all my wishes and concerns were addressed and I got an install the way it should be. Haven't seen that kind of interaction in a long while. Quite refreshing.

Price. Although I'm in a promo period, even when it's over I'll still have faster service at a cheaper price. And from what I am seeing, Xfinity is stepping up and are making it very desirable to migrate from CenturyLink. I have been a member of these forums for a long time and know that there is good information here. What I have been seeing is a dynamic switch in reviews and customer experiences with the market absorbing Qwest/CenturyLink on a far more negative level than I have ever seen for any provider of any kind of service. And Comcast rising nicely. Which made it easier for me to migrate. Mostly on a "mental comfort" level.

So far all is good and I am confident that it will stay that way. If not, I'll be right back and let you know.

Thanks to all involved that has made this so painless and hassle free that I'm not really noticing that I have new service, other than the great speed and stability that is making my life so much better. Oh, but that constantly flashing LAN light on the modem is making me nuts. I'm use to DSL flashing only when there is traffic.

Oh I forgot: I was hoping to get a Surfboard (SB)6120 or 21 as the rental so I could try it out so when it came time to buy one I'd had have experience with it. Since it's one of the #1 cited out there and given three stars on the Comcast modem page. But I was given a Ubee (never heard of it before) DDM3513 instead being told that it's their latest and greatest. So that started me on a night of investigation on my new service. I found the Ubee is one of the better and also found that my service can handle a better level of modem. That being a Zoom 5341J that I would have never known about if I didn't have to surf. So in the long run I won't be staying with the Ubee, but won't be going with my prime choice of the SB either.

Comments:
crk2h

join:2003-03-19
Tullahoma, TN

Glad to see!

Seems like everyone only posts the negative experiences. I like you had a very good experience with them this time when I switched back from att.

Review by RaulG See Profile

• Location: Chico,Butte,CA
Good "Great speed. Self install. Able to use my own cable modem."
Bad "Speed is not what is advertised. Update: speed is now over the advertised speed."
Overall "Good, reliable service so far."

·Cablemas
Moved to an apartment and wanted to get DSL or cable. Tried to order ATT DSL online, and they couldn't find my address, so goodbye. Went to Comcast online and setup an installation appointment, selected using my own modem (got it online, Motorola Surfboard DOCSIS 2.0) and the service I wanted (internet only). Got my modem and hooked it up to a cable outlet, and it synchronized right away to my surprise, so I called Comcast customer service, created my account, activated the modem, and cancelled my appointment for a technician (saved 39.99 dlls). Been working great so far.

Selected the Performance service, which is 25/5 Mbps (down/up), for 29.99 for the first 6 mos. and then goes up to 44.99. Trying to find the page with the available services, with prices and commitments, is a major pain.

The only problem is the advertised speed of 25 Mbps. I'm getting 18 Mbps down. Not a great concern really, since that's way more speed than needed for Skype, chat, online TV, and every application that demands high speed.

Note: speed is now over the advertised speed. I'm getting over 30Mbps down and over 5Mbps up, and still using my Docsis 2.0 modem and going through a wireless router.

Bottom line: easy to install without a technician (but I'm an IT tech.), great customer service, and pretty good speed.

Comments:

Stardog

Docsis 2.0 modem vs Docsis 3.0

Docsis 2.0 modem download speed tops out at about 23-25 Mbps, Docsis 3.0 can top out at 105 Mbps. If you want the 25 Mbps speed, you need to have a Docsis 3.0 modem. With a Docsis 2.0 your avg download speed with your level of service is going to be 12-18 Mbps. Docsis 2.0 is an older engineering specification and has been superseded by Docsis 3.0 which is what Comast has gone to. the 2.0's still work, but will go obsolete at some point in the future

Orlando

Re: Docsis 2.0 modem vs Docsis 3.0

With a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, I'm getting 10% more than I should with Comcast in Orlando.
RaulG

join:2001-12-29
·Cablemas
Sorry to correct you, but a Docsis 2.0 can go up to 42Mbps down and 30Mbps up. Several speed test still with my Docsis 2, shows around 30 down / 5.5 up.

Not too shabby...