Review by xdotmatt See Profile

• Location: Spokane,Spokane,WA
Good "Prices are good to comparable services. Amazing internet speeds."
Bad "Tech support sometimes treats everyone like they don't know anything."
Overall "I recommend it, especially for great internet speeds."

I currently have HD cable with free HBO. The package includes Blast internet service which is rated at 50 Mbps download speeds. I do get these speeds which provides a good connection when needed. $100 a month might seem a lot, but it is nothing compared to what some smaller cable companies provide. Honestly, I feel like the prices are fair.

Comments:

Review by beerbum See Profile

• Location: Reading,Berks,PA
Good "None of the limits or hassles associated with DSL"
Bad "Self Installs sometimes don't work and you will have to pay for service call."
Overall "I say go for it"

09/09/2007 -- Downgraded from Workplace account to Residential 8800/768. Average transfer speeds with the PowerBoost are 1.2 to 2.5 MB/s download and uploads are 200-255 kB/s. I had a serious problem canceling the Workplace account. You have to sign and fax in a change request form, I did that on May 28th - it took until Sept 6th for the account to be closed - during this time they were charging me for both Residential and Commercial Internet, and since they suck with the billing, I was forced to pay for both otherwise they would shut me off. Now I do have a huge credit on the account.

11/19/2006 -- upgraded to Comcast workplace standard with static IP back in May 06, at first they tried pushing the config to my SB4200 modem, it worked sort of (modem kept locking up).. eventually they came and replaced it with their SMC8013WG-CCR gateway, and they even replaced my old '59 drop.. Service is and has been rock solid at 8/768.

11/12/2005 Time for an update. My original review of the service I gave as a neutral since at the time I worked for Comcast.. Installing cable modems, so naturally installation was a breeze. Since installation I had a total of two outages, one was when Comcast's DNS servers died which was easy to fix and the other was when my router died.. So since I installed the service there have been actually zero signal outages. Modem uptimes are months at a time, only interruptions are when I reboot. I leave tech support at neutral since I never need to call them, I am my own tech support. Value for the money is excellent.. Where else can you get a 6 megabit connection for under $50 a month? The only negative thing I can say is I hear now that if you get their self install kit, and if you can't get it to work (poor signal) and you need to have a technician, in some markets they now want to charge you for a service call.. When I worked there that was free but I guess no more.

======================================================

Install was completed in very little time, maybe one hour from picking up the modem and I was online.

(1/14/03)

I have had no problems with the service. ping times have been great. not one single outage since getting the service about one year ago. I really have no complaints about this service.

2/23/03 nothing new just updating to change ISP displayed

member for 14.3 years, 6439 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dgeorge90 See Profile

• Location: Riverside,Burlington,NJ
Good "AS Advertised 105mb/s (down) 20(up) thank you!"
Bad "Weekend Customer Service"
Overall "I love Comcast!"

Update: April 02, 2014

X1 Platform 3 rooms DRV/Networked throughout

Remote controls much improved, including reception by devices. (works when not pointed directly at receiver) .
Read Facebook account, Apps weather, traffic, etc. with one push on the remote. The cable installer and line crew showed up on time and ensured signal clarity over a two hour period in the evening (per install appointment). Upbeat, polite, informative and treated us (including our beloved Georgie) with respect. Amazing considering the cost is $10 over what I paid before the upgrade. Comcast wants this to work. Internet speeds exceed expectations and I cannot remember the last time I lost connection.

Updated: November 23, 2013

No changes. Reliability of speeds and service from Comcast are unparalleled. Constantly adding hot spots and ensuring their lines are delivering. Never been effected by caps, if any. Unless you are using your service to deliver and receive data 24/7 as an IT business you will not even be aware of a cap.

Updated: October 17, 2013

No changes and I have to say Comcast reliability and speeds are amazing. I live in an area where super storm Sandy hit hard and I never lost connectivity. I am sorry how much friends relatives and the general public were affected. I cannot remember the last time I was without phone, TV or internet. It is also nice to see Comcast trucks doing upgrades and preventive maintenance to nodes around the two areas I preside, (not contractors). They keep it > 105mb/s up, > 20mb/s down. I also have »test-ipv6.comcast.net/ consistently. I don't know what else to say accept thanks Comcast!

Sincerely,
G

Update: March 3, 2013

I have a full install of extreme 105 with a new cable and connectors straight run to my Arris modem. I still have not considered Verizon FIOS at this point due to download speeds and steady high price, upload is ok.
A family member subscribes to FIOS and is upset with Verizon and will switch back to Comcast. Comcast customer service and equipment are the best option for my service area. Great service response during normal working hours. Knowledgeable service Technician.

There are Satellite and FIOs in my area, but they cannot provide the speeds Comcast does with there cable. I receive speeds and price as advertised. I am impressed with the fast service, reliability, and turn-around-time. Unlike Verizon's FIOS you get the speed you pay for.

Comments:

baineschile
2600 ways to live
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

...

What tier or you on? Speedtest?

Re: ...

Extreme 50
iambrandon

join:2011-01-23
Temecula, CA

Regarding FiOS

Not sure where the "you get the speed you pay for unlike FiOS" is from. I pay for 150/50 and I receive 175/75. I get more than I pay for. With no cap. Unlike Comcast.

Re: Regarding FiOS

Good for you. Actually iambrandon I couldn't figure out how Verizon advertises 12mb down as being fast. I know upstream Comcast cannot compete (yet), but lets face it most of us need fast surfing and downloading. 12mb upstream is fine. Let me ask you a question. Do you live in an area that has all new lines? How much does it cost for all of that speed? I am interested.
iambrandon

join:2011-01-23
Temecula, CA

Re: Regarding FiOS

I think 12mb down is just marketed to people who don't need it for too much. I believe an HD Netflix stream takes 5mbit FWIW and compared to DSL it's fast.

My area was wired roughly 3 - 4 years ago max and I'm paying $194.99/mo for just the internet but it's never failed on me.

Re: Regarding FiOS

Thanks - You are getting what you pay for if it has never failed. Actually I am in a good area for Comcast, and I use a dedicated line to the house and modem that is reliable as well. I never lose my connection either. Enjoy all that speed, I envy you!
dkurz415

join:2013-10-19

Speed

That's great speed...South Korea's average!

Review by ctgreybeard See Profile

• Location: Bethel,Fairfield,CT
Good "New service center in Danbury, CT is very good"
Bad "A little expensive"
Overall "Solid service"

IPV6 just arrived in the area. A little late but it's working fine.

Speeds are very good. We might get a boost a bit later but I'm not holding my breath.

Comments:

Review by bloodstain See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR

Reliable and always fast enough to stream and run multiple computers and devices all at once.

Comments:

Review by Mordred See Profile

• Location: Medford,Middlesex,MA
Good "Fast and reliable service"
Bad "Nothing bad I can think of on the internet side of it."
Overall "Worth the money for internet access. "

I just ordered the internet package as my previous ISP was not preforming well. I am very happy with it so far.

Comments:

jackie84

what a rip off

Just fyi to all of you that say its reasonably priced....after the first 12 months your bill will double! I started out paying 34.99 and am now paying $76 a month for internet! This is insane

Magicman

Re: what a rip off

So you mean it does what basically every company's pricing does? Comcast's regular pricing for the speeds are cheaper then most other companies regular pricing for similar speeds

Review by Daemon See Profile

• Location: Berkeley,Alameda,CA
Good "Fast, reasonably priced."
Bad "Customer support is sometimes useless."
Overall "Set it up and then pray you never need to call support."

·webpass.net
Update 3/19/14: After living at an address not connected to the cable system for some time, I am back at a comcast served address and have reconnected service with them. We are on 50/10 service for $50/mo for the first 12 months. As usual, they screwed up the first bill and charged us the non-promo rate at first, but have promised to fix it. Fortunately, they did not try to bill me for a modem as I own my own.

One thing not mentioned when I bought service is that customer owned modems do not connect automatically--they require a call into customer service to get activated, which requires reading the MAC and SN off the modem. The first time I did this I got disconnected and had to call again, but the second time things went through okay and connected fine. It turns out Comcast saves MACs from old modems, so had I lived in the same service area as before, the modem would have reconnected without a call (I moved 40 miles so that was not an option).

Dual-stack IPv6 is active in my area, and I am actively using it. Unfortunately, there appears to be either a misconfiguration of the CMTS or a bug in my router firmware that prevents my primary router from getting a routing IPv6 information properly, but a secondary router I configured is working.

Customer support on Comcast continues to get better and better--I have several options to talk directly to network engineers about more complex problems, and the people at 1-800-COMCAST are getting faster and faster at handling basic issues.

Having been a customer now for 10 years on and off, I have to say the value for the money is top notch--the prices have barely changed in 10 years though the speed has increased about 10x.

Update 9/1/11: the IPv6 trial is still ongoing. The local 6-to-4 servers that Comcast maintains transparently manage my IPv6 traffic. I am still waiting for dual stack or native IPv6 support, but I can understand why Comcast would proceed with caution. We are now at 30mbps down/6mbps up as measured by the FCC/SamKnows internet monitoring trial we're part of, without any price increases. They've also enabled upstream channel bonding, which should mean much less channel crowding during peak hours.

1st tier phone tech support still results in 'restart your modem', which is a drag. On the other hand, the comcast direct forum here, as well as the comcast twitter account, are staffed by high-level and competent support people and can resolve your complex issues that phone staff do not have the global view to fix. So, I am upgrading tech support from a 3 to a 4.

Comcast also still has a nasty tendency to quote one deal price via mail, quote another on the phone when you sign up, and charge a third in your monthly bill. This does not apply if you'd like to pay full price, but it is annoying if you are not. Thus, I still maintain a 3 star 'pre sales information' review.

Update 6/1/10: Comcast has become much more technologically savvy and less paranoid. I am enrolled in a IPv6 beta trial with comcast, which, to my knowledge, is the only large residential ISP involved in IPv6 rollouts. They also allow self-installs of CableCARDS, which, although not a internet-related thing, is another example of the techno-forward new comcast experience, which is pleasing. They've finished DOCSIS 3.0 roll out in my area and I have noticed speeds stabilized and reliability improved. I have to think they have upgraded the backends so it's not nearly as over-subscribed.

Also, speeds have gone from 1.5mpbs to 12mbps in the last decade here, without any significant price increases. That changes my value for money from a 4 to a 5.

However, my major rub, the first tier technical support, still lacks. As someone involved in discussions of the merits of IPv6 tunneling versus IPv4/IPv6 duel stacks, having the rep tell me I need to reboot my modem and computer when something doesn't work makes me want to stab my eyes out.

Update 10/9/09: In recent months, comcast support has been much more helpful. They seem to have seen the light and are finally allowing total self-installs, so I no longer need a truck roll to install HSI in a new apartment. Instead, I can now go down to the local store and get a modem and kit and do it all myself, including provisioning without installing the crappy software (hint: press the 'i am a comcast tech' button in the walled garden provisioning page)

I have been disappointed with the lack of information regarding DOCSIS 3.0 availability, and, related, the cable analog to digital transition. Apparently they are going neighborhood by neighborhood here to avoid overwhelming support, but for tech heads like me it would be nice if we had the date of the changeover.

That said, comcast has been steadily upgrading speeds without changing the overall cost. I remember the boost from 1.5mbps to 3mpbs, and now we are on 12mpbs with boosts to much higher, with only small increases in price over the last 6 years. Cable is still way over priced, but internet is very reasonable.

All in all I have changed my tech support rating from 1 to 3 for them allowing me to at least do what I know how to do on my own, without requiring the hassle of a truck roll. The bills and total costs have been getting more transparent recently too, so pre sales information also gets updated to a 3.

Update 4/7/09: It has been brought to my attention that most of the basic level support people are obligated to follow the script in front of them and risk getting fired if they stray. (This call may be recorded...) So, while some of them may be able to help you, they won't because of the script comcast has designed.

So, when I call to let them know one of their border routers at the SJ NOC is dropping packets and has high latency, would they like to know the IP address, they are obligated to tell me to restart my modem and computer. (arghhhh) It also means that when I have diagnosed a connection problem to a faulty modem and I call, I have to spend 45 minutes trying all sorts of things in order to convince the person on the phone that the modem is the problem (restart the computer, remove the router, try the usb port, remove the splitter, move the computer and modem near a different cable outlet, try a different RG6 cable), even though I have already definitively proved the modem is broken.

I did move connection reliability back to 5. We've been on Comcast for nearly a year now with only one 2 hour outage, which is 99.97% uptime.

The ad hominem reply, below, from the guy in SJ is amusing. I have to wonder if he works for comcast.

Update 12/23/08: Back out of uni housing, back into Comcast. Nothing really changes with them, although our connection is incrementally faster. Also, when you provision the modem now, you have the option of pretending you are a comcast tech, which means you type in a few numbers and you're done (none of which are, say comcast badge number or anything-- just a few numbers off the modem.) OTOH, if you say you are a normal person, you have to install a bunch of POS software items you really don't want. At least I didn't need to go find an old copy of IE for Mac this time!

Old review from 2006:

Okay, so I'm back to Comcast after a two year hiatus. It's already starting to feel like a mistake.

First, I don't want the damn software on my computer. I don't need to know whether I'm configured for DHCP, because I can do it myself. I don't want IE configured by comcast. In fact, I don't even have IE installed! (I'm on a Mac).

First thing I tried to do was call them and tell them I'm running linux, so they'll register my account for me. The tech has the audacity to tell me the service is incompatible with Linux. No, it's perfectly compatible, because it uses a standard ethernet connection!

Then I relented and installed the software. Too bad it's not compatible with OS X 10.4 and corrupted my computer enough that I now need to reinstall it from scratch. On top of that, the software is extremely buggy and attempts to do things that my user account does not have permission to do.

Then I called back and explained the new problem. Luckily, I was connected to someone who went off script and registered my modem in about 2 seconds on her end. WTF didn't the first guy do that? Right, because the service is incompatible with linux...

Comcast is designed as a service for technology dummies who don't know much about networking, the internet, etc. This means that if you are technically inclined, talking to them is going to be frustrating because they both treat you like you are stupid and don't answer your questions.

(On the plus side, I am connected at 6000/768 without any problems)

member for 11.2 years, 5097 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Lou_n_Di See Profile

• Location: Seymour,New Haven,CT
Good "reasonable price for 25Mbs-Excellent Tech installation"
Bad "none YET"
Overall "Everything is working fine!"

·AT&T DSL Service
02/17/2014
New installation this afternoon---25Mbs Performance Tier---$29.99 for 12 months then $53.99/month.
Tech installed(I'm lazy) with a CICSO DPC 3939 Wireless Voice Gateway.Tech ran a new line from the pole to the house(replaced the 30 year old wiring)replaced the exposed cable in the house(short run from outside to a new spliter in the garage) New box and hardware in the computer room.He setup everything from wireless to email.Worked quickly and neatly. Showed me speed and line tests results....Was happy to answer ALL of my silly questions.
Adjusted RWIN to 300000- Speed test (speedtest.net) shows 28Mbs DWN 6Mbs UP.
Everything is working perfectly...Nice change from the 1.5Mbs DSL
03/02/14
Two weeks of great service- No issues with email and no service interruptions with excellent speeds that continually measures 28 to 33 DWN and over 5Mbs UP with the 2.4 GHz WiFi network yielding 20 DWN and 5 UP with NO range issues within the house. (Presently there's nothing home that can access the 5GHz network)
Excellent PING numbers and NO packet loss issues. REAL nice change from my old DSL service.
03/16/14
upgraded the WLAN card on the laptop---can now access the 5GHz network--download speeds measure 22-24Mbs with upload at 5 to 6.
Life is good!

member for 13.6 years, 3285 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Noodles

Watch out for the wifi

I've read online some people are saying that comcasts new wifi routers now have two networks. One for you personally, and one public wifi that anyone can use. It does pull on your overall bandwidth and cause you to go over you 300 gig bandwidth cap. I would check to see if any new wireless networks have popped up and see if you got hit with one, and if so disable it.

Lou_n_Di
Everyone Needs A Hero
join:2001-01-18
Seymour, CT

Re: Watch out for the wifi

No SSID xfinitywifi hotspot noted-Thanks for the heads up!

Review by Cody See Profile

• Location: Spokane,Spokane,WA
Good "Reliable, quick"
Overall "A solid choice"

Note: Total monthly cost does not include modem rental as I have my own.

My only complaint is misinformation given by the company prior to installation; I was told I could just buy a modem and plug it in/activate and all would work as there was a prior customer at this address (and if for some reason it did not work that they would send a technician free of charge). It didn't work and they sent a technician, but they tried to charge the entire amount of sending one out, and only after complaining that I had been told it would be free, they cut the price in half. This was a disappointing way to start off the company/client relationship but thankfully there have been no issues in the 7 months since.

Comments:

Review by FicmanS See Profile

• Location: Brownsburg,Hendricks,IN
Good "Docsis 3 made ALL the difference"
Bad "Expensive..."
Overall "Good Value"

Switched back to Comcast, very glad to be away from the other provider and back to one that can provide reliable Internet Speeds

Comments:

Praveen

@comcast.net

Stay away from Comcast connection.

Not loyal to customers:
I took comcast's internet connection . First they starting charging more than what I opted for. Later they told that my place does not have connection speed what I opted . Then I told that I don't want their connection, later another guy called and told that they have same connection speed that opted for. I myself and Comcast knew that they have 30$ plan in my area, but they tried to cheat me. So first thing they are not loyal to customers.

Connection speed is worst:
I have very worst connection speed. They promised for 7 MBps connection but I am getting 1mbps.

Continuously breaking:
Connection is breaking frequently. Infact more frequently . Means 20 times per hours. That is more annoying, irritating. I hate. Even 1mbps is fine but I want consistency, but connection is disconnecting frequently which is hell.