Review by whfsdude See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
Good "FTTH, good speeds, awesome latency, no bandwidth cap, zero downtime so far. Great installation!"
Bad "Price is higher than I would like. Upstream is a little low (100mbit/s)"
Overall "Well worth it if you can justify the price."

Edit:

Got upgraded to 505mbit/s (actually 530mbit/s) and 100mbit/s up awhile ago. Service has been rock solid and I still love it.

Older review:
_____
I have had 305/65 service for 8 months now and am extremely happy with it.

The installation process was started late october with a request to ComcastSteve in the direct forums to have someone call me about it. About a day or two later I received a call, and shortly after was assigning a sales rep. who would coordinate the order and installation.

About a week after Comcast came out and did a site survey. This was a survey to make sure the prem. was okay for a fiber install. Then they walked to the node and checked the manholes to make sure there was room to run new micro conduit from the node (4 blocks away) to my pole.

The install required three visits. The first was to run the fiber pair from the house to the pole. The second which did not technically require a house visit but I wanted to stay in the loop, so they stopped by, was to run the fiber from the node to the manhole. The manholes are Verizon owned, so this required coordination with Verizon. This was actually the biggest delay and took about a week. The third was to splice the fiber into a splice enclosure and install the CPE (Ciena 3931). The install for this is obviously lengthy but doesn't require your presence the entire time. Of course, I wanted to see the whole thing.

By far the best install experience I have ever had. Pre-installation communication was great. I was given the cell phone number of the engineer responsible for my installation. Everyone from the line techs to engineering were wonderful, and explained every process of the install.

I don't have too much to say about the service as it just always works and is great. I've never had any downtime, other than swapping my router (pfsense atom box), and upgrading its software.

Speed is great, latency is under 2ms to Google. I always get 305/65. I use 5-6 terabytes a month without a peep from Comcast.

Price could be a little better; why is it not gigabit? 305/65 just seems like an arbitrary number.

My original thread contains a little more technical detail: [url]»Getting 305/65

member for 11.4 years, 6032 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

A T

join:2000-07-30

Very informative

Thanks for taking the time and sharing your experience.

Review by ClockerXP See Profile

• Location: Sterling Heights,Macomb,MI
Good "Great OnDeman Choices and Lots of HD. Phone works as advertised with no extra fees"
Bad "CS not as down home friendly as WOW. Bundle prices creep up over time."
Overall "Best Price/Services Ratio!"

·WOW Internet and..
X1 is Awesome. 105/20 Internet is Awesome. Phone works great.

Comcast's price beat WOW's and they over a lot more services/channels/ondemand/internet speed!

member for 13.3 years, 1122 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Andrew J See Profile

• Location: Lancaster,Lancaster,PA
Good "Very fast most times"
Bad "Pings are pretty good most of the time"
Overall "Fastest broadband I can get"

Edit 04-10-14 Speeds very good and service has been very reliable since the last edit.

Edit 08-25-11 Speeds very good and service has been very reliable since the last edit.

Edit 12-05-09 Free boost of speeds to 16,000/2,000 very good!

Edit 02-20-08 Still fast and only goes down an hour or two every six months.

Edit- 10-26-05: Price still at $70 but with the free upgrade now get a steady 8100/710. Pings are pretty good and everything else has been great for months now.

Edit 01-29-05: Price still at $70 but the system wide upgrade sent my speeds to a fairly steady 5400/710, now that's what I'm talkin about!

--------------------
Edit 7-29-04: For a total of $70 a month I get basic stripped down cable TV(don't use), cable modem, and 4,400Kbps down with 384Kbps up. This is really good and feels like the @home days of years ago! Ping times are better and I can live with them now most nights of the week.
---------------------
Comcast is 3300 down/ 256 up for standard service now. Speeds are wild from 100 - 2800 down for me. With pings still bad from 6 months ago. All traffic is routed through Chicago! This is so stupid you might have trouble believing it. My pings to Chicago Counter Strike servers are under 50. My pings to PA(where I live) and NYC servers are over 100!

Calling support is awful. If you have any problems, good luck. Mine was down and they said it would be 10 days before a tech could come out. Well it was 10 days but they did replace the transmitter and that fixed the node. Dynamic IP. Install went ok. $3 a month for MOT cable modem.

Ping has been better for a month or two.

member for 12.9 years, 5638 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by luckmann See Profile

• Location: Albuquerque,Bernalillo,NM
Good "Better speed than DSL"
Overall "Still mostly happy"

I am a former Qwest / Centurylink customer who got terminated for excessive use. So, I switched to Comcast and told CL to go fly a kite. I now have better phone service with more features. I especially like getting voice mail in my email it has save me some hassles.

The thing I like the most though is that I am on the blast plan an got a speed upgrade last night (3.28.13) and went from 30-35mb to between 60-90mb steady. All i had to do for the upgrade was reboot the modem.

I have an Arris 722g telephony modem that is a replacement of a 602. The only reason I replaced the 602 that was given at install is I wanted to make sure it was IPv6 capable and allowed bonded channels.

So the bottom line is when I had Centurylink the phone was average with no features and the internet (40/5) was always somewhere around 30mb and cost $15 dollars more.

Very happy so far.

Update: 6/25/2013

Moved and upgraded to XF triple play. Other than the install taking three different techs things were good. The only exception was the fact that the any room dvr was advertised in my area (87121) after install I was told that I should have gotten it. Then I got another phone call and was told that it was not available in my area yet even though it was advertised. I was told that the node was not equipped for any room dvr. Someone is supposed to call in august and see when it will be available. The upside is I started out with a $328 install fee (complicated install), I got it waived down to the cost of the package for the month. So I guess that is something. I will update the review once I get the call on the dvr (if I do)...

10/31/13. Finally have dvr but was having some issues. Turns out the MOCA filter was installed improperly. That was fixed today. Overall still happy we will see how it goes

member for 10.2 years, 845 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by xdotmatt See Profile

• Location: Spokane,Spokane,WA
Good "Prices are good to comparable services. Amazing internet speeds."
Bad "Tech support sometimes treats everyone like they don't know anything."
Overall "I recommend it, especially for great internet speeds."

I currently have HD cable with free HBO. The package includes Blast internet service which is rated at 50 Mbps download speeds. I do get these speeds which provides a good connection when needed. $100 a month might seem a lot, but it is nothing compared to what some smaller cable companies provide. Honestly, I feel like the prices are fair.

Comments:

Review by beerbum See Profile

• Location: Reading,Berks,PA
Good "None of the limits or hassles associated with DSL"
Bad "Self Installs sometimes don't work and you will have to pay for service call."
Overall "I say go for it"

09/09/2007 -- Downgraded from Workplace account to Residential 8800/768. Average transfer speeds with the PowerBoost are 1.2 to 2.5 MB/s download and uploads are 200-255 kB/s. I had a serious problem canceling the Workplace account. You have to sign and fax in a change request form, I did that on May 28th - it took until Sept 6th for the account to be closed - during this time they were charging me for both Residential and Commercial Internet, and since they suck with the billing, I was forced to pay for both otherwise they would shut me off. Now I do have a huge credit on the account.

11/19/2006 -- upgraded to Comcast workplace standard with static IP back in May 06, at first they tried pushing the config to my SB4200 modem, it worked sort of (modem kept locking up).. eventually they came and replaced it with their SMC8013WG-CCR gateway, and they even replaced my old '59 drop.. Service is and has been rock solid at 8/768.

11/12/2005 Time for an update. My original review of the service I gave as a neutral since at the time I worked for Comcast.. Installing cable modems, so naturally installation was a breeze. Since installation I had a total of two outages, one was when Comcast's DNS servers died which was easy to fix and the other was when my router died.. So since I installed the service there have been actually zero signal outages. Modem uptimes are months at a time, only interruptions are when I reboot. I leave tech support at neutral since I never need to call them, I am my own tech support. Value for the money is excellent.. Where else can you get a 6 megabit connection for under $50 a month? The only negative thing I can say is I hear now that if you get their self install kit, and if you can't get it to work (poor signal) and you need to have a technician, in some markets they now want to charge you for a service call.. When I worked there that was free but I guess no more.

======================================================

Install was completed in very little time, maybe one hour from picking up the modem and I was online.

(1/14/03)

I have had no problems with the service. ping times have been great. not one single outage since getting the service about one year ago. I really have no complaints about this service.

2/23/03 nothing new just updating to change ISP displayed

member for 14.4 years, 6456 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dgeorge90 See Profile

• Location: Riverside,Burlington,NJ
Good "AS Advertised 105mb/s (down) 20(up) thank you!"
Bad "Weekend Customer Service"
Overall "I love Comcast!"

Update: April 02, 2014

X1 Platform 3 rooms DRV/Networked throughout

Remote controls much improved, including reception by devices. (works when not pointed directly at receiver) .
Read Facebook account, Apps weather, traffic, etc. with one push on the remote. The cable installer and line crew showed up on time and ensured signal clarity over a two hour period in the evening (per install appointment). Upbeat, polite, informative and treated us (including our beloved Georgie) with respect. Amazing considering the cost is $10 over what I paid before the upgrade. Comcast wants this to work. Internet speeds exceed expectations and I cannot remember the last time I lost connection.

Updated: November 23, 2013

No changes. Reliability of speeds and service from Comcast are unparalleled. Constantly adding hot spots and ensuring their lines are delivering. Never been effected by caps, if any. Unless you are using your service to deliver and receive data 24/7 as an IT business you will not even be aware of a cap.

Updated: October 17, 2013

No changes and I have to say Comcast reliability and speeds are amazing. I live in an area where super storm Sandy hit hard and I never lost connectivity. I am sorry how much friends relatives and the general public were affected. I cannot remember the last time I was without phone, TV or internet. It is also nice to see Comcast trucks doing upgrades and preventive maintenance to nodes around the two areas I preside, (not contractors). They keep it > 105mb/s up, > 20mb/s down. I also have »test-ipv6.comcast.net/ consistently. I don't know what else to say accept thanks Comcast!

Sincerely,
G

Update: March 3, 2013

I have a full install of extreme 105 with a new cable and connectors straight run to my Arris modem. I still have not considered Verizon FIOS at this point due to download speeds and steady high price, upload is ok.
A family member subscribes to FIOS and is upset with Verizon and will switch back to Comcast. Comcast customer service and equipment are the best option for my service area. Great service response during normal working hours. Knowledgeable service Technician.

There are Satellite and FIOs in my area, but they cannot provide the speeds Comcast does with there cable. I receive speeds and price as advertised. I am impressed with the fast service, reliability, and turn-around-time. Unlike Verizon's FIOS you get the speed you pay for.

Comments:

baineschile
2600 ways to live
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

...

What tier or you on? Speedtest?

Re: ...

Extreme 50
iambrandon

join:2011-01-23
Temecula, CA

Regarding FiOS

Not sure where the "you get the speed you pay for unlike FiOS" is from. I pay for 150/50 and I receive 175/75. I get more than I pay for. With no cap. Unlike Comcast.

Re: Regarding FiOS

Good for you. Actually iambrandon I couldn't figure out how Verizon advertises 12mb down as being fast. I know upstream Comcast cannot compete (yet), but lets face it most of us need fast surfing and downloading. 12mb upstream is fine. Let me ask you a question. Do you live in an area that has all new lines? How much does it cost for all of that speed? I am interested.
iambrandon

join:2011-01-23
Temecula, CA

Re: Regarding FiOS

I think 12mb down is just marketed to people who don't need it for too much. I believe an HD Netflix stream takes 5mbit FWIW and compared to DSL it's fast.

My area was wired roughly 3 - 4 years ago max and I'm paying $194.99/mo for just the internet but it's never failed on me.

Re: Regarding FiOS

Thanks - You are getting what you pay for if it has never failed. Actually I am in a good area for Comcast, and I use a dedicated line to the house and modem that is reliable as well. I never lose my connection either. Enjoy all that speed, I envy you!
dkurz415

join:2013-10-19

Speed

That's great speed...South Korea's average!

Review by ctgreybeard See Profile

• Location: Bethel,Fairfield,CT
Good "New service center in Danbury, CT is very good"
Bad "A little expensive"
Overall "Solid service"

IPV6 just arrived in the area. A little late but it's working fine.

Speeds are very good. We might get a boost a bit later but I'm not holding my breath.

member for 12.8 years, 5648 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bloodstain See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR

Reliable and always fast enough to stream and run multiple computers and devices all at once.

Comments:

Review by Mordred See Profile

• Location: Medford,Middlesex,MA
Good "Fast and reliable service"
Bad "Nothing bad I can think of on the internet side of it."
Overall "Worth the money for internet access. "

I just ordered the internet package as my previous ISP was not preforming well. I am very happy with it so far.

Comments:

jackie84

@comcast.net

what a rip off

Just fyi to all of you that say its reasonably priced....after the first 12 months your bill will double! I started out paying 34.99 and am now paying $76 a month for internet! This is insane

Magicman

@comcast.net

Re: what a rip off

So you mean it does what basically every company's pricing does? Comcast's regular pricing for the speeds are cheaper then most other companies regular pricing for similar speeds