Review by Proginoskes See Profile

• Location: Asbury Park,Monmouth,NJ
Good "Fast and Reliable"
Overall "Always On, Fast and dependable"

Can't complain about anything! Never had an outage, great speeds.

member for 13.3 years, 6321 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Stripe

@50.170.76.x

What???

If you've never had trouble with Comcast, the God's must be smiling on you. Here in the Seattle area, I have NEVER met a person who has anything good to say about their service. I myself have had both good and bad service from them, with more bad service than good. Now that they have sent their call centers overseas, customer service has become a nightmare.

Stripe

@50.170.76.x

Review by Moos See Profile

• Location: Salt Lake City,Salt Lake,UT
Good "28+mbs down and about 5 up."
Bad "-"
Overall "it's decent, no other option really."

Home internet, it's fast and reliable.

member for 6 years, 1604 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by insomniac See Profile

• Location: Naperville,Du Page,IL
Good "Speedy and reliable"
Bad "More money to the Comcast Borg"
Overall "It gets the job done"

06/16/2014 UPDATE: Rates have gone up, speeds are about the same. I'm supposed to get 25/2 but usually do not see that kind of throughput during peak times. The connection itself is solid and has only gone down a couple of times in 3+ years. Either way, it's still better than the AT&T DSL I once had, and I have no interest in U-Verse. Enforcement of the hypothetical 250GB cap remains suspended, though I watch my usage anyway and rarely come close to that limit.

01/18/2011 UPDATE: After my self-install, two billing cycles passed. HSI charges had still not appeared on my monthly bill, and I was not able to access my Comcast email (Web site said "Access requires Comcast High-Speed Internet"). Because I know that calling Comcast for a matter like this is worthless, I emailed the Comcast Cares team at we_can_help@comcast.com. A woman from Comcast Executive Care called me and, over the course of several phone calls, told me a number of things:

- She and the technical department were "confused" as to how I was even able to access the Internet. I explained that I did the same thing a tech would do: I plugged in the modem, entered the Comcast "walled garden" for activation, ran the software it made me download, entered my account number, chose the $44.95/month plan, etc. She remained confused and asked me for my modem's MAC address. I provided it, and she called back later to tell me my service was now "activated" (never mind that I "activated" it two months ago). The techs apparently thought that I wasn't getting billed because my modem wasn't registered. Well, if my modem really wasn't registered, I would never have been able to get out of the walled garden.

- I would be charged $44.95/month (which I knew), but I would also be charged a $25 one-time "activation fee." She tried to explain that $25 is less than the normal $50 tech install, but I didn't particularly care. Short of terminating the service, there doesn't appear to be any way out of that one. I guess $25 is the "honesty fee," since I probably could have just kept on getting free HSI if I hadn't gone out of my way to bring this to Comcast's attention.

- After all this, I still couldn't access my Comcast email. I could see the inbox preview on the front page at comcast.net and could see that there were 11 emails in there, including one from the Comcast Cares team, but attempting to read any of them gave me the same error as above: "Access requires Comcast High-Speed Internet". Still waiting for a call back to explain that one and get it fixed.

As far as I can tell, there was some sort of stupid backend database failure when I tried to register my service, and it never got properly linked to my account. My advice: suck it up and buy a new modem at a retailer, or order a self-install kit from Comcast. And don't count on a self-install going correctly the first time.

ORIGINAL 11/2010 REVIEW:

I was a Comcast HSI customer 7 years ago, ditched them for DSL and was glad to leave them behind. Things have improved! I get 16/2 for the same price as I was paying for 1.5/256 years ago. Best of all, I didn't need to involve a phone call or a clueless tech mucking around on my computer. I plugged in a modem I bought on eBay, activated the service myself using my existing account number and was online minutes later.

Speed tests are reliable and the connection is solid. No complaints!

member for 12.2 years, 3639 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by edhalen See Profile

• Location: Yorkville,Kendall,IL
Good "Quick installation"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Good value at promo pricing for now. Nice speed increase from 6/768 DSL."

UPDATED 5-30-14 to reflect current package:

Speed - 25meg/5meg

Cost - $19.99/month first 6 mos., then $34.99/mo. next 6 mos., then $62.99/mo. after that

Order/install process - smooth

Home equipment - Motorola SB6141 - self-purchased to avoid $8/mo. modem rental fee

5-29-14 UPDATE>> After being a ATT DSL customer at my current address for the past 6 years I've jumped ship to Comcast. DOCSIS 3.0 now available in my area and I figured they've likely cleaned up the network issues I experienced before which are noted below. So far after 1 week the connection is rock-solid and no packet loss or lag. Online gaming has been great. I REALLY love the 25meg/6meg speed package. Download speed actually tests out at 29meg. Promo price is $19.99/month for 6 months, then $34.99/month for 6 months, then up to $63 per month (regular price which is "locked-in" according to fine print). So, even including $40 installation and a $100 Motorola SB6141 modem (to avoid the $8/month rental fee) it averages out to the same price as we were paying for a 6meg/768k DSL package - which is as fast as we can get - over the next 2 years. Time will tell if the service is as good as the DSL was. DSL was rock-solid.

The installer was a nice guy but a little slow in figuring out how to get my install completed. I did need a new line to my office on the 2nd floor of my house due to the fact that the existing outlet is being used for satellite TV. He ended up running a new cable from the point of entry in the basement upstairs to my office. He did it with the least amount of cable present on the outside of the house as possible - which was nice. He also went through the trouble of testing the cable connections both at the box on the side of my house as well as the connections in the round cable box on the corner of my property to make sure they were good. They all tested clean. That was really nice of him to do that. All in all it has been a good experience so far. As usual with many things in life YMMV (your mileage may vary ).

ORIGINAL REVIEW from 2007:

I became a Comcast HSI customer by default. ATT didn't offer HSI here in my new neighborhood when we moved here in September of '06. So, we went with the TV/VOIP/HSI package. The HSI portion has been really good. The install went without too much trouble. I did have to have a tech visit to straighten out some poor cable wiring that the builder had done. The wires had to be trimmed down and better terminals installed. After that the signal was rock solid. Since install I've had no outages to speak of and the speed has been good. I'm on the 6meg/384 package. With respect to downloads and upload the power boost is a really neat thing and it works pretty well. My downloads are anywhere from 1.5 to 2 meg/sec!!! Uploads have just gone up to over 2000kbps - up from no more than 350kbps before. That is a nice advantage for Cable HSI over DSL.

As for the other 2 parts of the package - the VOIP service leaves something to be desired. We recently switched back to ATT phone service. The reason I bring that up is that recently ATT has brought HSI here through a new RT in my neighborhood. With how well the Comcast HSI experience has been so far I'm not sure I will go back to DSL. The only thing that would probably force me to is the cost. Because I have cancelled my TV and VOIP with Comcast they have threatened to raise my price of the HSI. All in all I have been pleased with the Comcast HSI experience. As always though, YYMV (your mileage may vary).

6/23/07 - UPDATE>> Comcast HSI is raising my price on the 6meg package to $55 per month. I can now get ATT HSI 3meg package for $25 per month. Also, over the past 3 months I have been experiencing latency spikes which is making online gaming very difficult. The latency spikes are consistent. It goes from 20-70ms up to 400-900ms and then back down. It's hard to game when your opponents are disappearing at random times. So, the Comcast HSI experience was great initially. The speeds were fantastic and the price was great - until we cancelled the other 2 portions of our package. Now the speed isn't worth the cost. When the ATT Elite package becomes available it will only cost $35 per month. Easy choice for me.

Comments:

Review by neufuse See Profile

• Location: Indiana,Indiana,PA
Good "Fast, limited outages"
Bad "Service calls sometimes are horrible"
Overall "Pretty good for the price"

Cable always seemed to have good uptime, very rarely have outages, only on upgrade nights which happens very late at night usually, or when a line is down somewhere... sometimes hard to get support for or convince them there is a problem... took 4 months to get a signal problem fixed when they kept claiming its in our house, turned out it was a deterorating fiber cable outside somewhere...

member for 8 years, 906 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by tim See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "It's fast."
Bad "Service is spotty once in a great while."
Overall "If available, Comcast is the best bang for your buck."

Update 5/14: Switched to AT&T U-Verse in a cost-cutting effort. Service was top notch, but I couldn't justify Comcast's bundle pricing.

Update 3/4/14: 4 years later, I'm still rocking with Comcast. No complaints at all, I am able to max out my 105mbit/sec service with ease. Current equipment consists of a Motorola SB6141, and an ASUS RT-AC66U.

Update 6/25/10: Still have Comcast. Reliability has gotten much better lately, but quite a few people have moved out of the neighborhood, so that's probably got something to do with it. Current equipment: Motorola SB6120, Linksys WRVS4400N.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------

I've had Comcast's HSI since August of 2007 (had AT&T DSL before that), and from my experience over this time, they're the best ISP for the price. Can't beat $42.95 a month for 12mbit service.

Installed the service myself, so there were no issues with the install process. Comcast supplied a Motorola SB5120 modem, which was great, but I replaced it with a Linksys BEFCMU10.

The only time that I've actually had issues with the service is when I switched to Comcast's "Home Networking" service (bad idea, btw), and my connection dropped constantly. Switched back to the Motorola + a WRT54G, and the problem was solved. Disconnected service in March 09 for DSL Extreme service.

Back on Comcast after 9 months of DSL Extreme. Using an SB6120 on the 22/5 plan. Speed is great, I'm able to get my full 22/5.

Comments:
Together
join:2012-05-23

Comcast Business Gateway - Double NATs Traffic even in Passthrough mode

Double NATing can cause issues for VPNs, Servers etc.

I really thought that Comcast Business grade service would eventually fix this, but it actually seems to have gotten worse with the newest Netgear CG3000DCR Gateway modems. Even with the purchase of a static IP there is now effectively no way to turn off NAT on outgoing traffic. Their so called Passthrough [Fake Bridge] mode configuration still has a 2nd hop on the modem's in-official LAN GW [10.1.10.1]. So when you tracert out of your network it looks like this:

1 192.168.x.1
2 10.1.10.1
3 [Your WAN IP GW]

Tier2 support confirmed they cannot fix it, effectively meaning there is no way to completely turn off NAT on outing traffic. Support also informed me that they will be switching to the Cisco DPC3939B Gateways, which have built-in Wireless. I'm crossing my fingers that the Cisco devices will have a better fake bridge mode, but knowing Comcast what's more likely is that it will be impossible to completely turn off the Wireless.

Perversely, you can still get real bridge mode if you buy you're own cable modem; But it only works with dynamic IPs.

tim
join:2005-06-07
Chicago, IL

Re: Comcast Business Gateway - Double NATs Traffic even in Passthrough mode

Yep, I've seen the same problem on business deployments. It's best to ask for one of the SMC D3G gateways, they do not have this issue.

Review by kraazy See Profile

• Location: Salem,Marion,OR
Good "6"

digital phone

57mb download / 12mb upload

Arris TG862G Wireless modem/router / digital phone adapter / battery backup

Comments:

Review by QLR See Profile

• Location: Tallahassee,Leon,FL
Good "Decent speeds, timely set-up, no landline needed, less buffering, ESPN3, billing"
Bad "Inept CSRs. Don't call in if you don't have to."
Overall "In the battle of the C's, Comcast wins. And surprisingly, it's cheaper!!!!"

I had CenturyLink/Embarq for 18 months... I was happy for the most part, but I was getting annoyed by the constant buffering and some dropped connections (?); sometimes, I would have to enter a URL multiple times. Also, the 404 opt-out service never worked for me. Slightly annoying. I wanted to up my speed but CenturyLink tops out at 3.0M DSL in my area.

I switched to Comcast when I received a telemarketing call about switching my landline... I declined the landline, but I decided to take the internet offer: 8/1 internet for $33 for 6 months and after that $56. There is no contract. After receiving my bill today, I realized that my 8/1 internet is called Performance Plus and is 16/2 (either I am getting ripped? or the offers aren't up to date with Telesales). I get between 6 and 8M down and between 2 and 3M up on the Comcast Speed test site; On DSLR, I often get between 12 and 15 down and 2 and 3M up. So I am likely getting what I am paying for. Ordering was simple enough... they could have been out the very next day, but I scheduled the tech to come out on Saturday since I work during the week. The subcontractor came out as scheduled and all went well.

I am using a Motorola SB5100 modem and all seems well so far... although I am irked by the lack of a reset/power button. There is only a standby button.

The only glaring problem I had was connecting a new Cisco N router to my computer/cable modem. After several hours of headaches, I switched back to my old Netgear G router... Got a Netgear N router and all went well. I think I saw a post or something stating that Comcast + Cisco is a no-no.

Fortunately, I haven't had to call tech support and I hope it stays that way.

All in all, if Comcast is available without a mandatory contract, get it. Also, I am enjoying ESPN3 (formerly ESPN360)... this is something I could not access when I had CenturyLink/Embarq.

UPDATED 3/28/11 I am at the 12 month mark with Comcast HSI and it has been a breeze mostly. Hating the high price ($48 for 12/2), but my only alternative is DSL with CenturyLink and to my surprise, they have hiked prices and I qualify for only 1.5M max. So I will stick with Comcast.

UPDATE 4/5/12 I just upgraded my internet as a result of the recent price hikes. I decided to bundle my internet and cable via the Blast Plus plan, featuring Digital Economy cable and Blast internet. Via the online chat, the bundle is $40 for months 1-6, $60 for months 7-12 and regular price (currently $80) after that. Still a happy camper with Comcast. OTOH, CenturyLink wants $50 for 1.5M/768K dry loop DSL. So, I will have Comcast for the time being. I bought my SB6120 modem back in July and I am glad I did. It will pay off in 4 more months

UPDATE 6/26/13 Still on Comcast. I received a notification a couple of months back stating that I was getting too many channels on the digital economy tier. I, unfortunately, was hooked on one of the channels not on the economy tier. I initially tried to keep the Blast internet and simply tried to upgrade the TV plan. I was unable to find a suitable pack so I ended up downgrading the internet to Performance (ewww. I miss Blast) and taking that phone as part of the Starter XF triple play ($99/month for 12 months). I still miss the speed of Blast... I have had some slowdowns on Performance. Phone seems ok enough, don't expect a lot of use on it; but hate there isnt a battery shipped with the phone modem.

UPDATE 7/25/13 I was able to get Blast as an add on to my triple play package for $10 more per month as suggested by the respondents to my review. And it is really the champ! However, I am tired of the nickel and diming... $2.99 to make changes to your account?!?!!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? The phone quality is mediocre.

UPDATE 5/10/14 The internet is AWESOME as always. I was paying $10 extra for the Blast add on, which became an Extreme 105 connection. My 12 month promo ended last week, and I actually upgraded the TV plan, and dropped the Extreme 105 add on. Net result is that I am paying a few dollars more than before. Phone is ok, Video is fine, despite the rocky week with the DVR. Checked with CenturyLink, still only qualify for 1.5Mbps... this neighborhood will likely not see improved speeds nor Prism.

Comments:

user2

@comcast.net

Comcast

For $10 extra per month you can add on Blast!.

Re: Comcast

I will have to check into that.

May have to look for a router that can handle the speed as well... My Belkin and Cisco routers top out at 25m for some reason

GiantJack

@comcast.net

SB5100

It will help if you upgrade the modem from a Docsis 2.0 modem to a Docsis 3.0 modem. Docsis 2.0 tops out @ abt 25mbs(megabits/sec), Docsis 3.0 modems can top out @ abt 103-105 mbs. Sort of like swapping out a 4 cylinder engine for a 6

Re: SB5100

I neglected to update the original review completely. I am using an Arris 822 phone modem... And I was using a Motorola 6120 when I had Blast. Comcast wouldn't allow users to have non D3 modems on blast.

DELETE Dup post

Review by ArkhmAsylm See Profile

• Location: Saint Paul,Ramsey,MN
Good "Much faster than Qwest DSL"
Bad "Techs always push to replace modem when trouble calls (seldom)"
Overall "Dynamite speeds and good reliability"

- (Original review - approximately 12/2005 - Cost $42.95) I was wary of switching from my long-held Qwest DSL service (672/256 $37) because Comcast didn't provide a 'dedicated line', but in testing my in-law's Comcast connection over a period of time I found that the connection was consistent & that the pipe was big! Few disruptions w/Comcast in my first year with nothing to differentiate from my Qwest connection...but SPEED. My test speeds are near the top of the results charts, but I don't believe for a second that (even w/PowerBoost) my 6000/384 connection is providing me with a 30Mb equivalence. Let's just say that I think I'm getting my money's worth.

NOTE: I bought my own SB5120 and opted for the self-install. Initially, the service did crap out a lot and there were several outages. After a few phone calls I finally scheduled a tech visit and he spent several hours testing and making calls, finally ending up installing a 6 DB attenuator at my modem and a 3 DB at the drop from the pole. From that point on is where my review begins.

- UPDATE #1 (approx. 5/2007 - Cost approx. $43.95) - After a year and a half, things are pretty much as before. While I have seen the connection upgraded to 6M/1M, I seem to have lost Power Boost on the up-side. Still showing 30M/1M on the tests, but I find that the median download is 8M, at best. The connection is sometimes flaky, not unlike the customer service folks. Thankfully, I've not had to call them in a while!

- UPDATE #2 (approx. 8/2010 - Cost approx. $46 for the Performance tier) - Everything remains copacetic. The connection pretty much seems to always be there with not too many slow downs. They are raising their rates (by a dollar or two) for the first time since signing on - I wish I could take solace in that, but knowing that their costs for providing the service are likely going down tends to eat at you. STILL NEED SOME COMPETITION!! (You get that, FCC??)

- UPDATE #3 (5/9/2014 - Cost $10 for one year, thereafter $63.95 for the BLAST tier) - Since my last review, speeds were upgraded several times (12M/2M, 20M/4M, 25M/5M) and the price of the service was up to $53.95. The service had been largely trouble free since the last review, but speed testing had revealed speeds to be getting quite flaky during the last year - on average I figure I'd been getting 18M/3M. Considering that my SB5120 DOCSIS 2.0 modem may not be offering the best performance possible when the service was at its best, I (along with a much needed new computer build) decided to upgrade to an ARRIS SB6141.

Comcast is in the midst of another speed upgrade/doubling for the East coast, but no news regarding my region in the Midwest. The wife and I were getting tired of paying so much for our cable TV from Comcast, so we called to tell them "we're cancelling" (1st time we've done that). Long story short: They gave us one of their 1 year (no contract) deals that dropped the overall bill by about $45 dollars, and in asking them about the internet speed doubling (which the gentleman in the retention dept. claimed to have no knowledge of AT ALL) they gave us a package that included the BLAST tier of 50M/10M. My speed tests through TestMy.net and Xfinity's test site (for both IPv4 & IPv6) are consistently 55M/10.5M (topping at 62M/11.8M). If after the package year is up and they have no replacement deals for us, my hope is that the speed doubling will have come through which would allow me to 'downgrade' to the new Performance speeds of 50M/10M - fingers crossed there!

ALSO: competition-wise it's the same-ol', same-ol' with my only other internet option being CenturyLink DSL. After years of being stuck in the sub 8M range, they now tell me that they can get me 'up to' 20M...for about the same price as my old service. FCC - THIS ISN'T COMPETITION!!!

Until next time, Cheers!

member for 8.8 years, 2336 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by nickelman See Profile

• Location: Mount Laurel,Burlington,NJ
Good "Never had an issue with speeds or service. "
Bad "None that I can think of. "
Overall "Very happy with TV and Internet services. Exactly what I want and the price is good for me. "

Very happy Comcast customer for the past year. I've been on the Blast internet plan for the whole year and just recently got the free upgrade from 50/10 to 105/10.

I've never had an issue with slowdowns during the day and I constantly get my advertised speed.

Anytime I've needed to call about a billing issue or a TV issue I've been helped ASAP.

Will stick with Comcast until either FIOS or Google Fiber comes crawling at my door!

member for 12.1 years, 4395 visits, last login: a few hours ago