Review by MissyShamble See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR

I have Internet only, Xfinity Blast. Overall I have a good experience with Comcast. My system could use a faster internet speed that is currently the United States Standard. Most European internet speeds are much faster, and less expensive. If a person in Belgium can connect to a SW United States game server and blow my connection speeds and latency out of the water, then something is really wrong. @ best during off peak times I can get 77meg download 11.5m upload with a 55-60 latency to the SW server. During peak internet usage times 50-55meg download 11.5meg upload with a latency of 65-125. With the latency so high during these on peak times, makes one wonder why. For the general everyday internet user Xfinity Blast is the way to go. Iam a gamer, my demand is much higher, I need lower latency. So my review on overall performance for Comcast is still in the good range, but for the Gamer.. I am not very happy with Comcast. I have read there is a new standard coming to the Comcast world, called 105 Extreme and it will become the new Blast. For most people on the West coast it is not available.

Comments:

Disappointed

@comcast.net

...

My Comcast service is getting progressively worse, and I pay for blast. I can barley watch amazon prime and connection to steam is getting very spotty. Regular browsing is fine although it is quite amazing how slow my streaming and games are becoming. I will switch to Google Fiber as soon as it is available.
JohnShade

join:2009-03-07
Pearland, TX

Connection issues

Have you contacted us??? You might want to post to the dedicated Comcast forum on this site. Could be any number of reasons for slow CHSI. Give us a call or post and let see about getting it fixed

Review by ipv5 See Profile

• Location: Bryn Mawr,Delaware,PA
Good "Works for me, Fast and Reliable"

Internet speedtest gives:

IPV4 - 57.22 Mb/s Down 11.56 Mb/s Up
IPV6 - 56.46 Mb/s Down 11.64 Mb/s Up

Really like having IPV6 native connectivity.

Comments:

Review by miami786male See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "speed and CDV workes great"
Bad "none"
Overall "Best internet provider in my area. ATT DSL sucks.comcast Rocks"

i am happy with the service and set up of service. comcast keeps on working good and i have had zero down time so far with my digital voice and internet.

Comments:

Review by hortnut See Profile

• Location: PNW
Good "Speed is consistent. Decent service"
Bad "Pre-Sales info could be clearer vi phone/online"
Overall "It works as advertised."

Patience is the best tool.

6-2-2013
The upgrade to faster speed went through a while ago. To take full advantage of it, I need a new AP/Router. Using old Netgear a/b/g.
gives 20/12, direct connection to modem 50+/10+. Main machine is a Laptop.
3-4-2014
Upgraded TV service to get some additional channels and was able to lock into a Triple Offer about a year ago. Was able to keep same plan at same price. Have CenturyLink in area offering 40meg plus a Municipal Offering of TV and HSI via Cable to choose from. Phone is good for backup and long distance to save minutes on Cell [prepaid plan]. HSI has been great.

member for 8.9 years, 3235 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Ordegar See Profile

• Location: Orem,Utah,UT
Good "Consistently fast downloads"
Bad "There is no real competition in my area"
Overall "I highly recommend Comcast here in Utah Valley"

There's so much hate on Comcast; I guess because they're the big kid on the block. Personally, I got Comcast when it first arrived in my neighborhood; I was literally one of the first installations here; and I love it.

I always get OVER my rated speed when I do a test; when I was paying for 25 Mbps I would consistently test at 28 to 32; now that I upgraded to 50Mbps I test at around 57. Everyone I know who has Century Link DSL, the competition here, is lucky to get 75% of their rated speed; and my brother who has Digis is lucky to be able to watch a show on Netflix.

Comcast has a bandwidth cap of 250GB in my area, but they haven't enforced it for years; it's just there I imagine so they can enforce it if overall usage gets heavy; and even though I download a lot of games and stream many hours of Netflix, Youtube and Hulu every day I usually don't even get close to 250GB.

If you went by advertisements of the competition here in Utah, you would think Comcast was a horrible corporate conman that overcharges and raises prices constantly. The truth is, their price is better than the competition, especially considering the fastest DSL I can get would be 24Mbps and I have 50Mbps with Comcast.

Enough raving . Suffice it to say that I have had Comcast for over 10 years, and I have been extremely happy with it. If they keep it up, I'll stay with them; until 1Gbps Google Fiber comes here of course -- if it does.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3341469663

Comments:

Review by TZi See Profile

• Location: Hialeah,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "It's fast and available everywhere there's comcast cable (everywhere)"
Bad "Needless $250 premium install fee is ridiculous"
Overall "It's fast, not cheap, but fast. AT&T can't even come close"

This is the fastest option available in my area, so I took it. Other than the needless $250 "premium install" which not only costs money but your time as well, this service is top-notch. Business grade it is not. I am not sure as to the caps, but I can attest that I have transferred 500GB in a month with no hassles or overages from ComCast. Just like most other ComCast locations around the country, the netflix and youtube routes are saturated at peak hours. Outside of youtube, I am able to pretty much pull 100mbps consistently.

Comments:

Review by GmDude66 See Profile

• Location: York,York,PA
Good "Fastest internet in York. Love the X1 platform"
Bad "Billing mistakes occasionally"
Overall "Will be staying with Comcast"

UPDATE 2/13/14
I have upgraded to a triple play package about two weeks ago.
This included 50/10 Blast internet, X1 Platform, and Unlimited voice.

I am really enjoying the new speeds and the X1 platform!

Would HIGHLY recommend.

UPDATE 6/21/12
Upgraded to Blast! (25/4) about 3 months ago.
Since then I have gotta 8 channel downstream bonding and 3 channel upstream.
Also, have fully functional IPv6.

Never have issues with lag or packet loss.

Also, cannot wait until Comcast doubles the speed in my area.
Blast is going to become 50mbps for no additional cost!

ORIGINAL POST

I have the Ultra plan and it is blazing fast... Speed tests average 35/6

The only bad thing about Comcast is that their products page is not up to date at all.... It still lists the old 6 and 8 plans for my area although on my bill it clearly states Ultra Internet. (22/5 I believe)

My advice is if you are a new subscriber CALL IN and find out what plans are truly available.

I will be staying with Comcast unless something faster/less expensive comes to the York, PA area.

I would highly recommend Comcast!!

Comments:

Review by maestro7 See Profile

• Location: Loganville,Walton,GA
Good "HSI service just plain works."
Bad "Voice CSRs no good; chat CSRs much better"
Overall "Getting prepped for 50/100 Mbps HSI"

·DIRECTV
·AT&T Southeast
Per my review of AT&T DSL, 3 Mbps just wasn't cutting it for our household. So, in spite of my wife's absolute hatred of anything cable, I worked out a deal with her to get at least 6 Mbps cable Internet while slowly phasing out our DSL connection.

So, we were able to sign up via chat-only deal with Comcast for the following:

No early termination contract; going month-to-month
25 Mbps Performance Internet (5 Mbps up)
$29.95/months 1-6 (+ modem rental fee)
$49.95/months 7-12
Market rate from month 13
One-time install fee $39.95

Technicolor TC8305C 8x4 channel DOCSIS 3 modem/router combo (dual band MIMO): Incidentally, this router has excellent coverage throughout our house. Word of caution: definitely use good patch cabling throughout cable line, else you'll risk the device rebooting itself every so often (covered on this forum and elsewhere).

The tech came out within 15 minutes of the beginning of our appointment window this morning 12/27/2013 of 8am. BTW, word of caution: make sure you allow Comcast's auto appointment confirmation call to go all the way to the end (it says when you can hang up). I found out that hanging up prior to this results in cancelled appointments. The tech himself called 45 minutes prior to arrival.

He was a non-Comcast contractor and had no problems with my shadowing him and asking questions (I like to know exactly what's going on with my house). He ran the initial drop from the pedestal at the foot of our driveway to the demarc point on our house (which had had a bundle of coax hanging unterminated for years). He allowed enough slack for a good run as well as for a temporary lay at the crevice of our driveway and road connection (so that our vehicles wouldn't chew up the temporary, unburied drop).

Since we were just ordering HSI, outside simply involved putting up the standard Xfinity plastic box on the side of the house, attaching ground cable, then terminating one of the hanging cables and connecting it directly to the main line.

Next, we moved inside to the basement. Since our house has long since had dormant coax jacks in most rooms, and since we already had our DSL router upstairs, we decided to put the cable modem in the living room for easy access to our DirecTV receiver and PS3. Since I also wasn't sure which inside line went to which jack, the tech and I communicated over cell phones with my watching his voltmeter (I think it is) and the voltage change while he tried different runs.

Once voltage was confirmed, it was an issue of plugging in the modem, the tech configuring it via Android phone, both of us testing the link (I used speedtest.net on a PC and iPhone over wifi), then my electronically signing off accepting the job as being completed. All in all, after arriving at 8:20am, he was done by 10:15am

My wife and I have been thrilled all day.

In reality, we're achieving speeds of ~28 Mbps down/~6 Mbps up. Depending on how things go over the next several months, I may downgrade our DSL to 1.5 Mbps for backup purposes and/or eliminate it altogether.

Further, I've confirmed that we're eligible for up to 105 Mbps with our address and current modem, so we'll see how that goes. Also, we may end up buying a modem/router over time to further reduce costs.

Regarding cable burial, he called the job in and confirmed that they needed to note that we have both utilities and sprinkler system in the yard (we also have enough natural area to keep most of the grass intact). We've got a date within about two weeks; this is even confirmed in Comcast's Dashboard as our next appointment.

Hopefully additional updates will be positive.

-- Update: 1/15/2014

Overall, things have completed well for getting Comcast HSI fully installed at the house.

While Comcasts's system did have the actual burial date set for 1/10/2014, when nobody showed up on that specific date, Comcast then said that the day is an estimate and is weather-dependent (it was raining in my area of Georgia on that day). So, after Friday passed, I did receive a call from the burial guy on Monday, and we made arrangements on how he should bury the cable.

Also, about a week prior to the 1/10/2014 date, we had about three or four utility marking folks come out and spray-paint where pretty much every cable went in our yard -- with plenty of little flags to boot.

The only thing left to do at this point is to give AT&T a call to downgrade our "backup" DSL (it's cheaper to keep some semblance of DSL going due to rebates we get for having both DSL and wireless services with AT&T than to totally give it up).

-- Update: 2/1/2014

Had received call from Comcast sales. Instead of above deal, they offered Blast! Plus 50 Mbps Internet service with "double play" of 50-channel basic cable for $39.99/month for 12 months (plus our current $7/month modem lease fee), then $59.99/month for months 13-24, then regular rates.

Since original $29.99/month deal was for only 6 months for 25 Mbps Internet, and Comcast's coming automatic bandwidth increase has been confirmed by sales to be forthcoming -- but only to those with this "double play" option, I took them up on it.

They're to be mailing me the cable box and self-install kit for free immediately, and 50 Mbps HSI won't be enabled until box is provisioned, so I'll update after that process is complete.

-- Update 2/4/2014:

Received Comcast cable receiver via UPS (a very big and heavy device; just on looks, I think DirecTV looks better). Did not even go about physically hooking up receiver because it had paperwork with info for activation.

Went online to activate. Slick stuff and completed HSI activation in under 5 minutes. Speedtest showed >50 Mbps without router/modem reboot.

Will now stow away cable box for safe-keeping since we have no need to deal with video at this time.

Comments:

Review by Gerard1234 See Profile

• Location: Hazel Park,Oakland,MI
Good "When everything is working it is good."
Bad "Getting service if something goes wrong in the neigborhood."
Overall "If it works it is great. Note: Comcast direct here is the best way to go."

·WOW Internet and..
I have the Comcast complete service. I have had Comcast for 15 years now. Last fall went to WOW but they could not get their act together with the services they offered and had not as much of On Demand which we watch a lot. Like Streampix We had a windstorm about a couple of weeks ago or so and our service went haywire so did our neighorhood, the neighbor told me that he thought it was his T.V. Picture on the T.V. was tiled and internet and phone would not work most of the time. Called a CSR on the phone and they kept on trying to sell me linebacker service and said they would charge me $60. So I went to Comcast Direct on this website and Comcast Vic had a tech come out and the Tech said it was a bad tap or node and that they would dispatch linemen to remedy it that night. An hour later they came and fixed a node. Their service rarely ever goes bad though. Can go many months or years without a hiccup. So I will go through Comcast direct next I ever have a problem with service. KUDOs goes out to COMCAST VIC Next time someone comes to the door trying to sell WOW or Uverse I will shut the door on them. I will be getting the new x1 platform Friday August 2nd 2013 and will post my experiences with it.

Update: Finally got a new DPC 3939 wireless gateway 2 and it has a very good wireless range and you have more options on the admin page too. The X1/X2 platform has had its ups and downs, but now most of the early problems have been resolved. It has a good picture and the menus load quickly when booted from a power outage compared to the old style of guide which took up to 24 hours to update. It takes about 4 minutes from a cold start to a fully booted up guide with up to 14 days of programming in it.

Comments:

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley

Curious

Let us know if you actually get a response in the Direct Forum.
Gerard1234

join:2012-04-03
·WOW Internet and..

Re: Curious

It probably will take a week or so before they respond. Called them again and the CSR says it is not a rate issue but technical support says it is. WOW to be a customer of Comcast. I knew I should have left well enough alone and not have got this X1 platform. When everything works it is ok, but the people especially the CSR's do not even know what services they provide. The one CSR told me that the anyroom clients on the X1 platform can not record a program. I went to the diagnostics page and it says MOCA is disabled on the main DVR. It is enabled on the client ones.

Review by GlennAllen See Profile

• Location: Richmond,Richmond City,VA
Good "Same speeds I was getting with FiOS at half the price"
Bad "It's all 'Good' so far"
Overall "Same Internet, better price"

For months I would check my Verizon email account every day. For months all I'd gotten from them were the obligatory "Upgrade now! Free movies!" (or whatever they're always selling) messages... no mention of any price increases. Comes January 2014 and I check my credit card bill for charges before paying it--huh? Verizon is $8 more? ...check the bill on the Verizon site and there's a note to the effect "Hey! We're charging you more now! (Aren't we wonderful?!)" ...no such notice on any prior bills (but plenty of "$8/mo increase" gripes in the forums over the past several months). Soooooo, I check [Internet-only] plans at Comcast and elsewhere for what's available. Comcast (25/5) has close to the same speed tier as I've had with Verizon (30/5) for 7 years, but it's half the price: $30/mo the first year, $55/mo the second year. Works for me, and here I am--back with Comcast.

I ordered at the Comcast website (all of the info was there [aka "pre-sales"]), got the Self-Install Kit a couple days later (UPS). Now, I didn't need any of the h/w in the kit in order to do the install; only needed the info on the activation card, namely, my account number (which I already had from the email messages). I suppose the cables and splitter and stuff might be worth $10 to someone--they're good quality stuff. Meh. Anyway, I did the install in a matter of minutes. I already had my own modem (SB6141) and router (Netgear). From start to finish, no problems; and I've yet to talk to anyone from Comcast--quite different from the previous cable installs they did for me (before there were SIKs). (I find myself to be much easier to work with and schedule installs and such.) I'm sure there'll be glitches down the road; there always are (no contact with Tech Support yet--no need). So far, so good. Actual tested speeds: closer to 30 down and 6 up (so, better than my 30/5 FiOS); lower latency, too. (Speed tests were done during evening prime-time hours.)