Review by tshirt See Profile

• Location: Snohomish,Snohomish,WA
Good " reliable service, regular speed upgrades."
Bad "communication from inside CC are improved, still need work"
Overall "This is the best choice here, have recommended to many others"

self install and rebates worked well.
service faster and more reliable than DSL or satellite.
billing and tech support vary, from very good to average.
Little info is easily available about service changes and future plans
Price could be lower for light users (12/2 plan, 35-40GB per month)
overall fairly satisfactory, but I will consider FIOS when it arrives here.

Generally still very statisfied with the service.
Very happy that ComCast is taking the lead in pushing IPv6, security, and open DHCP opt-in.
According to clients (i haven't needed it) CSR support is weak/very inconsisent.
Recent recommendations were met with "comcast sucks" by a wide array of newbie broadband users, so PR needs to step up and offer/PROVE comcast CAN work for many/most .
The weak links are limiting this company.

Performance plan is now $45.95 ($3 over 7.5 years is good) currently 16/2 (20/2 is supposed to be coming) was $42.95 for 3/1 when I started, so it remains a good value.
still very reliable, CSR knowledge much improved, but upgrades/downgrades/service changes still have too many glitches.
Advertising of available upgrades, deals and new services are gimmicky and not always informative as to what you are buying/if it applies to you.

9 years of comcast HSI and tv service. currently on a Blast!+ promo
blast now =50/10 with actual speeds averaging 67/11.5 for $60 a month, after promo prices seem to be rising some on the tv side, so I'll likely drop back to performance tier at 25/5 with limited basic for $75-ish, the limit of our cable budget.

ComCast continues to be the only company serving true High speed internet here. and for the most part offers excellent service, tech support can be spotty and sales seem even more confused than customers over the constantly shifting array of promos and price changes.

Still the only high-speed choice, still fairly reasonable priced, very reliable, very consistant speeds, currently uncapped, "Power Boost" recently removed (the beginning of a national trend) which is ok at these speeds and may make streaming more stable.
$70 includes 1 HD STB, with Digital Economy TV and streampix and 50/10 internet.

Still on Blast! plus promo over now $96 total $65 is HSI portion but removing TV would end up at $77 for blast! so considering that now, performance would be $65 stand alone.
service still works well with few Netflix or amazon streaming problems. speeds are very consistent 24/7.

member for 10.5 years, 5526 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
political_i

join:2013-11-12

Price

Wait, you are able to get $70 a month with Digital Economy and 50/10? I am paying $160 for Digital Starter and 12/2! You aren't in an area served by fiber are you?

tshirt
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

Re: Price

Fios is in the area but doesn't reach my house (ex Verizon now Frontier, little hope of expansion)
price was a promo

Review by sambowomble See Profile

• Location: Murfreesboro,Rutherford,TN
Good "Stable internet and blazing prety good"
Bad "Internet package removed from plan even though internet still worked. Spent 3 hours with sales to fix plan to the way it was."
Overall "CS really needs to get on the same page and stop screwing with my account without my knowledge."

I have had just a minor startup issue with TV but somehow my internet was removed on my plan two weeks after I self activated but the internet still worked. Tech support kept telling me why was I complaining about getting something for free. Spent 3 hours with sales to find out "someone" called and removed my plan but it was still working but just out of the billing system. Got ahold of a diamond in the rough and he really helped me get my plan back to allowing me the ability to pay for what I am using since I believe in honestly. Geez I really don't want to have to call CS again because the sales team is more reliable about tech and CS stuff than CS's own department!

Comments:

Review by Proginoskes See Profile

• Location: Asbury Park,Monmouth,NJ
Good "Fast and Reliable"
Overall "Always On, Fast and dependable"

Can't complain about anything! Never had an outage, great speeds.

member for 13.4 years, 6355 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Stripe

@50.170.76.x

What???

If you've never had trouble with Comcast, the God's must be smiling on you. Here in the Seattle area, I have NEVER met a person who has anything good to say about their service. I myself have had both good and bad service from them, with more bad service than good. Now that they have sent their call centers overseas, customer service has become a nightmare.

Stripe

@50.170.76.x

Review by Moos See Profile

• Location: Salt Lake City,Salt Lake,UT
Good "28+mbs down and about 5 up."
Bad "-"
Overall "it's decent, no other option really."

Home internet, it's fast and reliable.

Comments:

Review by insomniac See Profile

• Location: Naperville,Du Page,IL
Good "Speedy and reliable"
Bad "More money to the Comcast Borg"
Overall "It gets the job done"

06/16/2014 UPDATE: Rates have gone up, speeds are about the same. I'm supposed to get 25/2 but usually do not see that kind of throughput during peak times. The connection itself is solid and has only gone down a couple of times in 3+ years. Either way, it's still better than the AT&T DSL I once had, and I have no interest in U-Verse. Enforcement of the hypothetical 250GB cap remains suspended, though I watch my usage anyway and rarely come close to that limit.

01/18/2011 UPDATE: After my self-install, two billing cycles passed. HSI charges had still not appeared on my monthly bill, and I was not able to access my Comcast email (Web site said "Access requires Comcast High-Speed Internet"). Because I know that calling Comcast for a matter like this is worthless, I emailed the Comcast Cares team at we_can_help@comcast.com. A woman from Comcast Executive Care called me and, over the course of several phone calls, told me a number of things:

- She and the technical department were "confused" as to how I was even able to access the Internet. I explained that I did the same thing a tech would do: I plugged in the modem, entered the Comcast "walled garden" for activation, ran the software it made me download, entered my account number, chose the $44.95/month plan, etc. She remained confused and asked me for my modem's MAC address. I provided it, and she called back later to tell me my service was now "activated" (never mind that I "activated" it two months ago). The techs apparently thought that I wasn't getting billed because my modem wasn't registered. Well, if my modem really wasn't registered, I would never have been able to get out of the walled garden.

- I would be charged $44.95/month (which I knew), but I would also be charged a $25 one-time "activation fee." She tried to explain that $25 is less than the normal $50 tech install, but I didn't particularly care. Short of terminating the service, there doesn't appear to be any way out of that one. I guess $25 is the "honesty fee," since I probably could have just kept on getting free HSI if I hadn't gone out of my way to bring this to Comcast's attention.

- After all this, I still couldn't access my Comcast email. I could see the inbox preview on the front page at comcast.net and could see that there were 11 emails in there, including one from the Comcast Cares team, but attempting to read any of them gave me the same error as above: "Access requires Comcast High-Speed Internet". Still waiting for a call back to explain that one and get it fixed.

As far as I can tell, there was some sort of stupid backend database failure when I tried to register my service, and it never got properly linked to my account. My advice: suck it up and buy a new modem at a retailer, or order a self-install kit from Comcast. And don't count on a self-install going correctly the first time.

ORIGINAL 11/2010 REVIEW:

I was a Comcast HSI customer 7 years ago, ditched them for DSL and was glad to leave them behind. Things have improved! I get 16/2 for the same price as I was paying for 1.5/256 years ago. Best of all, I didn't need to involve a phone call or a clueless tech mucking around on my computer. I plugged in a modem I bought on eBay, activated the service myself using my existing account number and was online minutes later.

Speed tests are reliable and the connection is solid. No complaints!

member for 12.3 years, 3659 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by edhalen See Profile

• Location: Yorkville,Kendall,IL
Good "Quick installation"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Good value at promo pricing for now. Nice speed increase from 6/768 DSL."

UPDATED 5-30-14 to reflect current package:

Speed - 25meg/5meg

Cost - $19.99/month first 6 mos., then $34.99/mo. next 6 mos., then $62.99/mo. after that

Order/install process - smooth

Home equipment - Motorola SB6141 - self-purchased to avoid $8/mo. modem rental fee

5-29-14 UPDATE>> After being a ATT DSL customer at my current address for the past 6 years I've jumped ship to Comcast. DOCSIS 3.0 now available in my area and I figured they've likely cleaned up the network issues I experienced before which are noted below. So far after 1 week the connection is rock-solid and no packet loss or lag. Online gaming has been great. I REALLY love the 25meg/6meg speed package. Download speed actually tests out at 29meg. Promo price is $19.99/month for 6 months, then $34.99/month for 6 months, then up to $63 per month (regular price which is "locked-in" according to fine print). So, even including $40 installation and a $100 Motorola SB6141 modem (to avoid the $8/month rental fee) it averages out to the same price as we were paying for a 6meg/768k DSL package - which is as fast as we can get - over the next 2 years. Time will tell if the service is as good as the DSL was. DSL was rock-solid.

The installer was a nice guy but a little slow in figuring out how to get my install completed. I did need a new line to my office on the 2nd floor of my house due to the fact that the existing outlet is being used for satellite TV. He ended up running a new cable from the point of entry in the basement upstairs to my office. He did it with the least amount of cable present on the outside of the house as possible - which was nice. He also went through the trouble of testing the cable connections both at the box on the side of my house as well as the connections in the round cable box on the corner of my property to make sure they were good. They all tested clean. That was really nice of him to do that. All in all it has been a good experience so far. As usual with many things in life YMMV (your mileage may vary ).

ORIGINAL REVIEW from 2007:

I became a Comcast HSI customer by default. ATT didn't offer HSI here in my new neighborhood when we moved here in September of '06. So, we went with the TV/VOIP/HSI package. The HSI portion has been really good. The install went without too much trouble. I did have to have a tech visit to straighten out some poor cable wiring that the builder had done. The wires had to be trimmed down and better terminals installed. After that the signal was rock solid. Since install I've had no outages to speak of and the speed has been good. I'm on the 6meg/384 package. With respect to downloads and upload the power boost is a really neat thing and it works pretty well. My downloads are anywhere from 1.5 to 2 meg/sec!!! Uploads have just gone up to over 2000kbps - up from no more than 350kbps before. That is a nice advantage for Cable HSI over DSL.

As for the other 2 parts of the package - the VOIP service leaves something to be desired. We recently switched back to ATT phone service. The reason I bring that up is that recently ATT has brought HSI here through a new RT in my neighborhood. With how well the Comcast HSI experience has been so far I'm not sure I will go back to DSL. The only thing that would probably force me to is the cost. Because I have cancelled my TV and VOIP with Comcast they have threatened to raise my price of the HSI. All in all I have been pleased with the Comcast HSI experience. As always though, YYMV (your mileage may vary).

6/23/07 - UPDATE>> Comcast HSI is raising my price on the 6meg package to $55 per month. I can now get ATT HSI 3meg package for $25 per month. Also, over the past 3 months I have been experiencing latency spikes which is making online gaming very difficult. The latency spikes are consistent. It goes from 20-70ms up to 400-900ms and then back down. It's hard to game when your opponents are disappearing at random times. So, the Comcast HSI experience was great initially. The speeds were fantastic and the price was great - until we cancelled the other 2 portions of our package. Now the speed isn't worth the cost. When the ATT Elite package becomes available it will only cost $35 per month. Easy choice for me.

Comments:

Review by neufuse See Profile

• Location: Indiana,Indiana,PA
Good "Fast, limited outages"
Bad "Service calls sometimes are horrible"
Overall "Pretty good for the price"

Cable always seemed to have good uptime, very rarely have outages, only on upgrade nights which happens very late at night usually, or when a line is down somewhere... sometimes hard to get support for or convince them there is a problem... took 4 months to get a signal problem fixed when they kept claiming its in our house, turned out it was a deterorating fiber cable outside somewhere...

Comments:

Review by tim See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "It's fast."
Bad "Service is spotty once in a great while."
Overall "If available, Comcast is the best bang for your buck."

Update 5/14: Switched to AT&T U-Verse in a cost-cutting effort. Service was top notch, but I couldn't justify Comcast's bundle pricing.

Update 3/4/14: 4 years later, I'm still rocking with Comcast. No complaints at all, I am able to max out my 105mbit/sec service with ease. Current equipment consists of a Motorola SB6141, and an ASUS RT-AC66U.

Update 6/25/10: Still have Comcast. Reliability has gotten much better lately, but quite a few people have moved out of the neighborhood, so that's probably got something to do with it. Current equipment: Motorola SB6120, Linksys WRVS4400N.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------

I've had Comcast's HSI since August of 2007 (had AT&T DSL before that), and from my experience over this time, they're the best ISP for the price. Can't beat $42.95 a month for 12mbit service.

Installed the service myself, so there were no issues with the install process. Comcast supplied a Motorola SB5120 modem, which was great, but I replaced it with a Linksys BEFCMU10.

The only time that I've actually had issues with the service is when I switched to Comcast's "Home Networking" service (bad idea, btw), and my connection dropped constantly. Switched back to the Motorola + a WRT54G, and the problem was solved. Disconnected service in March 09 for DSL Extreme service.

Back on Comcast after 9 months of DSL Extreme. Using an SB6120 on the 22/5 plan. Speed is great, I'm able to get my full 22/5.

member for 9.6 years, 1821 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Together
join:2012-05-23

Comcast Business Gateway - Double NATs Traffic even in Passthrough mode

Double NATing can cause issues for VPNs, Servers etc.

I really thought that Comcast Business grade service would eventually fix this, but it actually seems to have gotten worse with the newest Netgear CG3000DCR Gateway modems. Even with the purchase of a static IP there is now effectively no way to turn off NAT on outgoing traffic. Their so called Passthrough [Fake Bridge] mode configuration still has a 2nd hop on the modem's in-official LAN GW [10.1.10.1]. So when you tracert out of your network it looks like this:

1 192.168.x.1
2 10.1.10.1
3 [Your WAN IP GW]

Tier2 support confirmed they cannot fix it, effectively meaning there is no way to completely turn off NAT on outing traffic. Support also informed me that they will be switching to the Cisco DPC3939B Gateways, which have built-in Wireless. I'm crossing my fingers that the Cisco devices will have a better fake bridge mode, but knowing Comcast what's more likely is that it will be impossible to completely turn off the Wireless.

Perversely, you can still get real bridge mode if you buy you're own cable modem; But it only works with dynamic IPs.

tim
join:2005-06-07
Chicago, IL

Re: Comcast Business Gateway - Double NATs Traffic even in Passthrough mode

Yep, I've seen the same problem on business deployments. It's best to ask for one of the SMC D3G gateways, they do not have this issue.

Review by kraazy See Profile

• Location: Salem,Marion,OR
Good "6"

digital phone

57mb download / 12mb upload

Arris TG862G Wireless modem/router / digital phone adapter / battery backup

Comments:

Review by QLR See Profile

• Location: Tallahassee,Leon,FL
Good "Decent speeds, timely set-up, no landline needed, less buffering, ESPN3, billing"
Bad "Inept CSRs. Don't call in if you don't have to."
Overall "In the battle of the C's, Comcast wins. And surprisingly, it's cheaper!!!!"

I had CenturyLink/Embarq for 18 months... I was happy for the most part, but I was getting annoyed by the constant buffering and some dropped connections (?); sometimes, I would have to enter a URL multiple times. Also, the 404 opt-out service never worked for me. Slightly annoying. I wanted to up my speed but CenturyLink tops out at 3.0M DSL in my area.

I switched to Comcast when I received a telemarketing call about switching my landline... I declined the landline, but I decided to take the internet offer: 8/1 internet for $33 for 6 months and after that $56. There is no contract. After receiving my bill today, I realized that my 8/1 internet is called Performance Plus and is 16/2 (either I am getting ripped? or the offers aren't up to date with Telesales). I get between 6 and 8M down and between 2 and 3M up on the Comcast Speed test site; On DSLR, I often get between 12 and 15 down and 2 and 3M up. So I am likely getting what I am paying for. Ordering was simple enough... they could have been out the very next day, but I scheduled the tech to come out on Saturday since I work during the week. The subcontractor came out as scheduled and all went well.

I am using a Motorola SB5100 modem and all seems well so far... although I am irked by the lack of a reset/power button. There is only a standby button.

The only glaring problem I had was connecting a new Cisco N router to my computer/cable modem. After several hours of headaches, I switched back to my old Netgear G router... Got a Netgear N router and all went well. I think I saw a post or something stating that Comcast + Cisco is a no-no.

Fortunately, I haven't had to call tech support and I hope it stays that way.

All in all, if Comcast is available without a mandatory contract, get it. Also, I am enjoying ESPN3 (formerly ESPN360)... this is something I could not access when I had CenturyLink/Embarq.

UPDATED 3/28/11 I am at the 12 month mark with Comcast HSI and it has been a breeze mostly. Hating the high price ($48 for 12/2), but my only alternative is DSL with CenturyLink and to my surprise, they have hiked prices and I qualify for only 1.5M max. So I will stick with Comcast.

UPDATE 4/5/12 I just upgraded my internet as a result of the recent price hikes. I decided to bundle my internet and cable via the Blast Plus plan, featuring Digital Economy cable and Blast internet. Via the online chat, the bundle is $40 for months 1-6, $60 for months 7-12 and regular price (currently $80) after that. Still a happy camper with Comcast. OTOH, CenturyLink wants $50 for 1.5M/768K dry loop DSL. So, I will have Comcast for the time being. I bought my SB6120 modem back in July and I am glad I did. It will pay off in 4 more months

UPDATE 6/26/13 Still on Comcast. I received a notification a couple of months back stating that I was getting too many channels on the digital economy tier. I, unfortunately, was hooked on one of the channels not on the economy tier. I initially tried to keep the Blast internet and simply tried to upgrade the TV plan. I was unable to find a suitable pack so I ended up downgrading the internet to Performance (ewww. I miss Blast) and taking that phone as part of the Starter XF triple play ($99/month for 12 months). I still miss the speed of Blast... I have had some slowdowns on Performance. Phone seems ok enough, don't expect a lot of use on it; but hate there isnt a battery shipped with the phone modem.

UPDATE 7/25/13 I was able to get Blast as an add on to my triple play package for $10 more per month as suggested by the respondents to my review. And it is really the champ! However, I am tired of the nickel and diming... $2.99 to make changes to your account?!?!!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? The phone quality is mediocre.

UPDATE 5/10/14 The internet is AWESOME as always. I was paying $10 extra for the Blast add on, which became an Extreme 105 connection. My 12 month promo ended last week, and I actually upgraded the TV plan, and dropped the Extreme 105 add on. Net result is that I am paying a few dollars more than before. Phone is ok, Video is fine, despite the rocky week with the DVR. Checked with CenturyLink, still only qualify for 1.5Mbps... this neighborhood will likely not see improved speeds nor Prism.

member for 5.5 years, 715 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

user2

@comcast.net

Comcast

For $10 extra per month you can add on Blast!.

Re: Comcast

I will have to check into that.

May have to look for a router that can handle the speed as well... My Belkin and Cisco routers top out at 25m for some reason

GiantJack

@comcast.net

SB5100

It will help if you upgrade the modem from a Docsis 2.0 modem to a Docsis 3.0 modem. Docsis 2.0 tops out @ abt 25mbs(megabits/sec), Docsis 3.0 modems can top out @ abt 103-105 mbs. Sort of like swapping out a 4 cylinder engine for a 6

Re: SB5100

I neglected to update the original review completely. I am using an Arris 822 phone modem... And I was using a Motorola 6120 when I had Blast. Comcast wouldn't allow users to have non D3 modems on blast.

DELETE Dup post