Review by xz4gb8 See Profile

• Location: Plymouth,Wayne,MI
Good "Sales, Contract, Installation, Reliability, Speed"
Bad "Dearth of info in web site, Billing"
Overall "Five times bits/$, IPv6 too - I'm pleased"

·EarthLink
Comcast First Year Experience

After living with 1.5Mb/420Kb DSL for years, I found Comcast was saying IPv6 in my area. Since Earthlink can't spell IPv6, I decided it was time. Even though there were lots of deals advertised, I picked Comcast Business Internet because I want long term predictability and stability. The sales rep was competent and I signed a three year contract for Starter internet only, no modem, no phone, no tv.

I scheduled my installation for between 12 and 2 (one year ago). The tech arrived about 12:30. Since I had no drop and it was winter, a new drop was laid across the yard (where I specified the path) and the protector and a new penetration for the cable was installed. Using my Motorola SB6121, the tech activated service in minutes and I had full dual stack IPv4/IPv6 connectivity. The tech left before 3. [After spring arrived, a crew came and buried the drop cable. They buried it along the path I specified, missing flowers and the like. I was quite pleased.]

I found that my older Airport Extreme would not support native IPv6 routing, only tunneling as I had been using with DSL. When I installed a fifth generation Airport Extreme I then had native IPv6 routing and all my local IPv6-capable systems connected flawlessly. In the year since, I have had one 15 minute down time along and always consistent speeds. I have a RIPE probe monitoring IPv4 only and it shows this as well.

Now the brickbats - when I got my fourth monthly bill in error, I told the rep I would stop calling each month about an incorrect bill, I would just pay the contracted amount each month and Comcast could do whatever it wanted about billing since I had a fixed-price contract. All of my billing has been correct since then.

PROs
Reasonable sales support.
Signed contract
On time polite and competent installers
Reliable connectivity and speed

CONs
Vague and confusing information on web site, especially for IPv6
Billing, at least initially, was a farce.

Side Issue
Apple keeps users in ignorance about hardware capabilities a little too much. I had to empirically determine IPv6 prefix delegation and native routing was supported in the fifth gen Airport Extreme. (I only tested my original first gen N and no other version in between.)

member for 9.5 years, 1958 visits, last login: 9 days ago

Comments:

Review by cbrain See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "General availability at a fair price capacity for great service - promo pricing."
Bad "Unpredictable installation, poor tech support, no accountability or follow-through"
Overall "Great network-Customer service nightmare but improving"

******* 3-30-2010 ***********************************

From my experience, Comcast is a far better company since Verizon became a competitor. My mother had an ongoing, non-service issue with Verizon FiOS and became interested in Comcast's triple play. This promo included U/L nationwide phone with features, many premium channels and internet speeds beyond what is advertised. I asked if they would make a 2 year agreement. Comcast accepted. We had some issues with the install but all were resolved in about 60 days. She did not port her number until everything worked. At the 1 year mark Comcast started billing the regular price but made a correction on the first call. This promo included 2 digital boxes. Before they went all digital Comcast offered 2 more limited digital boxed at no additional cost. These boxes don't get "on demand" or premiums but allow older TV's to work. She loves the caller ID displayed in large letters on TV.

At this point I prefer the quality of DirecTV with TiVo, Fios internet and my VoIP phone, but Comcast has been far easier to work with than Verizon, and this package a better value.

******* 4-07-2008 ************************************

Service was good for the past year. The only interaction I had was Comcast's ongoing efforts to sell additional services. I preferred another provider and moved on.

******* 3-14-2007 ************************************

I recently had a problem with DirectTV and discovered a Comcast switch from dish promo. For 12 months the cost will be about half the DTV price for 2 DVR’s, most channels I had plus On Demand. DirectTV agreed to suspend my service for 2 months at no cost so I gave it a try. The service is excellent. DVR’s are good, but their not Tivo(DTV no longer offers TiVo).

My install was scheduled between 1 & 5 PM. At 4:45 I called for a status and was told tech would be there in 10 minutes. At 5:10 Comcast called and said it would be another 10 minutes. At 6:10 I called and canceled. At 7 the tech showed. I let him go ahead. All inside and outside wiring was done so he needed only to screw in 2 DVR’s, connect the TV’s and connect to Comcast. He didn’t have any advanced cables so he used coax. He had some signal problem so he played outside then asked for a signature. I tested a few things and noticed several problems. I asked how to flip tuners. He told me these were single tuner units and I needed to call to arrange a swap. As I dialed the number he insisted on getting my sig so he could leave. I told him I wouldn’t accept single tuner DVR's and asked him wait. He left. Comcast phone support told me they didn’t have enough dual tuner DVRs, to call back tomorrow and see if they could get me 1. I told him to cancel this install and call me when 2 were available. Without missing a beat or checking with anyone, he scheduled a tech to deliver 2 dual tuner DVRs the morning after tomorrow and promised component video cables. I tried a few channels and noticed a pixilation problem. The tech had added a splitter between the main drop and ground block but left an open leg. I removed the splitter and changed the 2 way splitter in the basement to 4 way. This resolved the problem. The follow up tech knew his business and did a great job.

Same Comcast, different year.

******* 11-2-2005 ************************************

In canceling, I allowed for service overlap during my transition. After both internet and video were installed I called Comcast and scheduled a disconnect on the last day of my billing cycle. Comcast handled this call very well. They asked what they could do to keep my business, who I was replacing them with and tried to convince me they were better without pressure. Comcast agreed to discontinue billing on the requested date and cut service the following week. I got one more Comcast call confirming I wanted to disconnect. I was favorably impressed. Then I got the bill. Comcast charged me $50 for the modem I own and a few other unexplained items. I confirmed there were no other charges and that I owned the modem when I cancelled. It only took about a dozen calls to get this fixed.

******* 03-28-2005 **********************************

Last week I discontinued both Comcast internet and video. My services have been reliable since my 4-2003 review. Comcast's retention department had me on an good price promotion, less that the services I replaced them with. I simply grew weary of dealing with Comcast. Every encounter is like buying a car. I needed to "negotiate" a proper install, needed repairs, price plan and Comcast was always trying to add something extra to my bill. Comcast techs will hook up a customer and leave regardless of resulting quality, then repeatedly make excuses and avoid proper repair if service is sub par. I suspect this is a part of the mentality that comes from negotiating with content providers, franchise authorities and takeover targets. It took me 18 months to get my services right. I did eventually get credit for the frequent overcharges but the time it took far outweighed the value of the credit. Comcast lost 3 members of my family for the same reasons. Verizon FiOS is now available to my mom so I suspect she will follow.

Considering the great network Comcast currently has, I hope they can come to grips with these issues and learn to deal with their real customers, end users. At the very least, if they do learn, they may provide competition to help keep Verizon on its toes.

»Comcast 3rd attempt @ $3/mo for owned modems!

******* 04-04-2003 **********************************

My connection has been reliable for months. A good value for the price. Video is finally good, my bill was correct 2 times in 26 months and I am now a citizen activist. An interesting odyssey for a lifelong pro business Republican. I’ve made lots of new friends, met with council members, testified before the county council, worked with the press and experienced how our Montgomery County Government works; or fails to.

Montgomery County deserves a better franchise.

I’ll fill in the details as I get time. Take a look at the Comcast forum here at Broadbandreports. »Comcast HSI

******** 02-2002 *************************************

I had 18 months of Covad DSL service prior to my 11 month Comcast@home service. @home was unusable for the first month(free trial period), then good until November 2001 when it became very slow every evening. Installation was on the day promised but then consistently unable to coordinate fixing problems. I needed tech help only in December when they altered my settings without notice. Resolved while on my first call. Overall I was very satisfied with both cable and DSL inet connections.

Since the transition to Comcast.net 3 weeks ago things are bad. I use dial up connection every evening. Connection is very slow, intermittent or dead every day starting about 5PM to about 2 AM. Needed a Comcast reset 2 times and am on my 3rd IP in 3 weeks. Have at times been able to force a connection by bypassing the DHCP server and using the assigned IP as static.

Gave them a week then started calling when connection is down. After long waiting on hold, tech support requires you to go through mandatory resetting of modem and computer, then going over all settings before they look at network problems. They don't log this info, or records of equipment, and are unable to access my local Comcast office database or to dispatch techs. When I call the local office they tell me to call the 800 number. When I explain that I was referred, I have twice been transferred to a queue that ends with voicemail.

Last night I stayed on tech over 2 hours and several transfers. My connection came live while holding but problem was still a packet loss of 40 to 50%, incoming and outgoing, within their network. They promised to have a local tech call me today. I added my cell # to the message. No call.

I feel Comcast is not being honest about the current situation. I expect some transition problems but have lost trust in Comcast's word and in turn their willingness or ability to resolve these issues. I hope they can get back to the @home service level but I'm here at DSLR looking at options.

********************************************************

After 18 days of being unable to diagnose my consistent evening outages, Comcast was finally able to make contact with the local office and schedule an onsite tech visit.

That tech will be at my site in a prompt, speedy 16 days!

*********************************************************

Comcast contractors showed up and rewired everything from the pole. Fast, professional and seemed competent. DID NOT RESOLVE THE PROBLEM! Current speculation…SW radio interference… no answer as to how they would track this down or resolve.

Over a 3 weeks period, Comcast personnel beyond call center never returned and most never reachable on incoming calls until I called Montgomery County. I now can make contact. Will update.

*********************************************************

Worked my way up to the field supervisor. He told me the problem was short wave radio interference. I questioned him in detail on all aspects of this then told him I would get the 4H SW Club to track down the problem for him. What equipment should I have them bring. He responded “let me go to the node.” From that evening on the multi hour outages stopped. First time since transition. I guess the SWR interference coincidently stopped that night. He now wouldn't take or return calls.

********************************************************

Attended a CCAC meeting and met the Comcast Gov't rep. The only person from Comcast to return calls. She got on this field supervisor. He got me in my car and told me he was trying to look at my connection but my firewall was preventing him access and implied me at fault. I again gave him a good quizzing, then said my firewall is on the lan side of the modem so can’t possibly block your access to the modem. I can be at a computer in 10 minutes where I can access my gateway, look at the logs, look at the modem, reset anything, look at BBR ping report and verify your statements. He hung up on me.

member for 14.2 years, 4153 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by train_wreck See Profile

• Location: Antioch,Davidson,TN
Good "*BUSINESS CLASS* Quite reliable service over the past 2 years (internet only)"
Bad "If you DO have any issues/requests, good luck - numerous botches/cancelled appts."
Overall "Wish they weren't only game in town here, but could be worse."

This review concerns internet service exclusively. I upgraded to business class service from residential Comcast, for which I had been a customer for many years. In the early days, Comcast was notoriously unreliable; service would be down/slow at least once a month, sometimes more often. Over time, particularly since ~2008 or so, they've much improved in that respect. Speeds were mostly consistent on residential, with occasional outages that always affected the whole area around where I live. Switched to business because Comcast started charging overages in my area, and my residence would be considered an "excessive" data user - a house full of "cord cutters". Also I wanted a static IP for email serving purposes.

The original salesman I dealt with was pleasant, but gave me some bogus information; when I learned that all static IP customers MUST rent a special modem from Comcast, I had second thoughts about the static and told him that, for now, i'll just go with a dynamic and use my previous SB6121 modem. He then said that Comcast would be removing the requirement of renting a modem for static IPs, and that that would happen "soon". So I figured alright, i'll go ahead and get the static and wait whatever length of time that would be. This conversation happened 18 months ago, and from what it seems that was a lie; as far as I know, there have not and will not be any plans to drop such a requirement. He also said that my area would get an upgrade to 150mbps down within a year (this was ~2012). We didn't, we only got 100mbps. So that kinda stinks.

Initial install was fine, and service was great for over a year. I then moved to a new house. From the initial call, I was told that it would take approximately 5-7 days for the changeover to process, and that I would get a call when it was ready. I got no calls for 9 days. Called back, and immediately the CSR processed it and setup an appointment for 2 days from then. On that day, they call and tell me they can't make it that day. They finally do come, and get things set up at the new place - the tech ran new line and put no splitters in, giving a direct line from the tap to the modem.

I then upgraded from 50/10 to 100/20. Called, they pushed a new config file, and said within a half hour I would see the speeds. I didn't. Called back, they re-pushed it and it took that time.

I then had them change my reverse DNS for the static IP. My domain ends in ".co", and they registered it for ".com". Had to call back to get that fixed.

I then upgraded to 5 statics. This took about a week, and involved a tech coming out. I had them change the reverse DNS for these new statics, and they made the same mistake again, registering them for ".com"

Our modem then went out entirely, failing to acquire DS or US signal. They sent a tech out, but he was a residential tech and couldn't set up the replacement business class modem. They sent someone else out the next day who got it going.

Finally, last month I got a call from a collections agency, saying I owed $24.35 from the final month of residential service I'd had almost 2 years ago. This money was absolutely paid at the time of switchover, and multiple phone reps assured me that nothing more was owed and that the residential account was closed. Called Comcast, they admitted the error and credited me back the $24.35.

So it seems that tech support is somewhat problematic if you do need/want anything to be changed or added to the service. While the actual internet service has been very reliable outside of the 1 failed modem (we've transferred many many terabytes over our connection since getting it), they managed to screw up the majority of changes we've made to the service. For all its faults, the Comcast internet service has been issue-free, but the HR interactions should be considered before going with them, if you are lucky enough to have a choice.

member for 298 days, 460 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by MSauk See Profile

• Location: Sandy,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Speeds are very quick! 50/10 Tier"
Bad "None at this moment, overall solid service"
Overall "Speeds are great so far, price is a little to much to be honest."

1/18/2010

Well I am back with comcast after moving into my new home. I signed up for the 50/10 tier and so far I am happy.

I just can not figure out though why on my laptop (wireless G) I am unable to get over 12 down and 10 to 12 up (up is fine, works great, download is slow though). Going to go get a N device to see if speeds increase.

Install went well, so far I am happy, just wish the price was 15 dollars cheaper.

5/16/2009

Well so far I still have not had issues. Zero downtime, pings are solid and speeds are high. I still believe that I am paying to much for these speeds and once the D3 comes and speeds get much higher it will actually be worth the price.

I still believe that comcast tech support needs serious training as well. Its like talking to my mom when discussing issues that might pop up.

**UPDATE**

Well I can honestly say so far speeds have been awesome. Latency and pings are fantastic and I have absolutely no complaints at all so far. My only complaints have been CS. With a big company I understand finding qualified people is hard, and they seem to be suffering from this big time.

I have updated services to a 5 and value for the money to a 4.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------

Well I believe that their tech support could and should see a mass improvement, but with a company as big as comcast I am sure it is not an easy task.

Price I believe could be more competitive and lower, but with not much competition they do not need to in certain areas in Utah.

Speeds so far have been awesome! Latency and pings are solid as well which was my main concern with them. But so far I have been pleased.

Overall I think the service has been solid, I will update this review as time goes along.

member for 12.5 years, 4108 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by LoPhatPhuud See Profile

• Location: Albuquerque,Bernalillo,NM
Good "Fast and reliable"
Bad "Only one - no limited dialup for backup just in case"
Overall "Good value for the money"

May 5, 2004

No problems since install in November. Up time as good or better than Qest DSL. Speed consistently high. Price is comparable to Qwest's lowered prices. All in all, extremely satisfied.

January 28, 2005
Now at 4000/384 with excellent connection. Uptime is over 99%. Only two short interruption since installation and those were fixed within 4 hours.

October 20, 2005
I went for the High Priced Spread and have 8000/768. I regularly get those speeds and have no complaints. THere were DNS Issues in the past, but I have alternatives ready to use so it is not an issue. There hads been no down time here since the last report.

Still a bit pricey, but so is their cable (I ahve two HDTV's both on the cable). Hopefully as fiber makes it way to homes, the competition will force the prices down a little.

October 27, 2007
Still with Comcast and the service is the same as in October 2005. Excellent speed, and reliability.

May 15, 2008
Now on 8mb with Powerboost. Service has been excellent since the last review with no interruptions. Well worth the money. ($52.95/mo)

December 18, 2008
No changes since the May update. Only one outage since then and that was for less than 2 hours. No recent DNS issues. There were a few early in the year but none since.

July 18, 2009
Went to a Triple Play package to get the phone and DVR. As a part of the package I am now on a 16/2 connection. Service is excellent with very few interrupts or slowdowns.

January 8, 2014
Still on triple play. Comcast has increased speeds since last review and I currently get 50/10. Extremely few interruptions. Total time down in last 5 years is less than 6 hours.

Now on an Arris TG862G Docsis 3.0 emta/modem/router. No issues for me with this unit and wireless is excellent anywhere in my apartment. No need to go to bridge mode at this time.

member for 12.5 years, 4894 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

LoPhatPhuud
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2002-01-06
Albuquerque, NM

December 2011

My connection is reliable and has been over the years. I have a Triple Play package with 20/4 internet.

Only a very few minor interruptions. One major interruption last December when some idiot disconnected me thinking I was not a legal connect. There was no tag on the junction, but there was one on the pole, if he/she has taken the time to look. Service was restored, but it took them 3 days.

Review by orion940 See Profile

• Location: Windsor,Hartford,CT
Good "Support is very good"
Bad "The price went down a couple of bucks.. its a moving target"
Overall "Good provider"

The price includes business class phone with long distance, caller ID and voice mail as well as uncapped internet at 12/2 speeds. The installation was done well, I felt the tech did a good job. He went the extra distance to make sure I agreed with how he was going to set it up. Once he told he it was good to go, I plugged in my router and it connected the first time. I did a speed test on a couple of sites, and it showed at least the speeds I'm paying for.

Comcast has come a long way with customer service in the past few years, and with a deal like this they should get a lot of AT&T refugees.

1/25/2012

Less than 1 year into the contract, Comcast changed the equipment fee that was written into the Business Class contract. I called the rep and mentioned that the fee was written in the contract. The rep said that the fee increase was to maintain the quality service. He said they (Comcast) can change the fees any time they want to. Somehow, my monthly cost of $104 has gone to $122 in less than a year. Comcast has reverted back to sleaze tactics with fees and surcharges. Signing a contact with them is for naught.

While the connection remains solid, and general tech support is good, the company has eroded all that work they have done to restore consumer confidence. I am filing a complain with my State Atty General for failing to live up to the contract.

1/6/2014

The level of support is excellent. The price went down a couple bucks. I got an upgraded modem, but the installation was transparent.

member for 12.6 years, 6082 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by RawHeadRex See Profile

• Location: Richmond,Wayne,IN
Good "Excellent Speeds"
Bad "Tech Support"
Overall "More bang for the bucks! Tech Support and Customer service leave something to be desired. "

Comcast offer great and reliable speeds; however, Comcast has a bad habit of nickle-and-diming its customers. Furthermore, Comcast Customer service and Tech Support is subpar, and is more of a pain to the customer than useful.

Comments:

Review by hoserama See Profile

• Location: Tomball,Harris,TX
Good "Awesome constant speed & latency, reliable connection"
Bad "Expanding caps loom over the death of Comcast being a good bargain"
Overall "Buy now with the understanding you may move later if they expand caps to Houston market area"

Having spent a year with AT&T I decided to switch to Comcast for the following reasons: more speed for the dollar.

I was eyeballing their Blast! package which for the Houston area market at the time I purchased (Oct 2013) is 50Mbit down/10Mbit up.

Since Comcast is trying to make profit from renting cable modems, I opted to buy my own. I purchased a Motorola SB 6141 from Amazon and completed my on-line sign up for Comcast.

My first impression of the on-line signup for Comcast service was not a good one. I felt it ridiculous I needed to pay them for a self-install kit which consisted of a splitter, coax cable, and a network cable; most people already have these. Comcast considers this a requirement and will not allow you to not purchase it.

It took about five days to receive the kit. The kit was given to the dog as a chew toy and I begun the install process. Comcast *TRIES* to make this a fairly painless and easy process. The cable modem during the install process will actually divert the web browser on your computer to the proper activation webpage to complete the process. In theory if it works, its very painless and easy for anyone to do. Unfortunately, the downfall of this easy process was literature sent with my self install kit did not explain exactly how to do it. Instead, I tried going to a Comcast activation page by manually typing in the URL which may or may not have been the issue why by self-install failed.

I had to call the dreaded phone support. After several minutes of being on hold I wrestled the self install kit from the dog and began chewing on it myself. When I finally got through to someone I realized the self install kit was to be used to tie around your own neck in the event you have to call Comcast phone support; its brutal! For something as simple as activating my cable modem over the phone, it took literally 12 minutes with a non-native English speaking Comcast employee to communicate to them the MAC ID of the cable modem, have it correctly repeated, and then he wanted me to give it back to him again.

So that's the bad. The good about it is, ever since the self install was completed via phone support all has been well. In fact, I can say all has been PERFECT. I always get the advertised speeds. Speedtests inside and outside Comcast exceed the advertised speed of 50/10mbit. I have never experienced an outage even for a few moments. During the peak hours of the day, I do not experience sub-standard speeds.

You can read all the reviews you want about an ISP and there will always be bad as well as good reviews. In my opinion, if you are looking to get Comcast in the Houston market area and are moving into a new home or recently built home, you should be fine. My house is a 2012 construction. The drop to my house stretches about 250 feet which is relatively close. All houses in my neighborhood are now complete and granted there are a fair share of residents who have AT&T but with a housing development of over 400 homes, I am impressed with the quality of service I am receiving in my house.

My only concern moving forward is the future of Comcast and how it appears to be spreading coverage of its caps. This family of five (2 adults, 3 kids) use on average 1tb a month. Xbox live, PC's, laptops, and another half dozen wifi devices. We are a connected family! Even my refrigerator and thermostats are connected. If Comcast begins rolling out their caps into the Houston area as they did others my internet bill alone would exceed several hundred dollars. This is the downside to Comcast and when implemented in all markets will result in fierce competition by other ISPs to gain Comcast's lost customer-base.

member for 12.6 years, 187 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

bigjohn

join:2005-05-26
Woodstock, GA

CAPS will come...

They're here in ATLANTA now.
Comcast is doing this market by market to keep the groundswell of HATE / Complaint against them to a minimum... If caps come to your area, remember - comcast is a government authorized monopoly. Contact your state government / county government and complain!
JohnShade

join:2009-03-07
Pearland, TX

Re: CAPS will come...

"comcast is a government authorized monopoly" Nope, bigjohn, no cable company is a government authorized monopoly. All cable companies have !!contracts!! with the local municipal governments to operate in the area for which the company pays fees. Your idea about contacting the Local/State goverenment is correct, however. The truth is, as people vote with their wallets, companies will alter their policies. That's called capitalism

Review by KA3SGM See Profile

• Location: West Chester,Chester,PA
Good "No Hassle Sign Up, Line Was Still Connected from 2005 when I last was a Comcast customer, HSI Service was live within 24 hours."
Bad "Adding TV was a really bad idea, AnyRoom DVR Complete fail, PQ not as good as Fios"
Overall "Trying somthing OLD as Something NEW, The Xfinity WiFi Hotspots come in really handy when out on the road."

·Cricket Broadband
I Ordered Comcast HSI 20Mbps "Performance" Internet on 9/29/2013, and service was live within 24 hours. Self-install kit showed up 2 days later, I obviously didn't need it, but the $9.95 bag of assorted cables and splitters will probably get used somewhere.

I left Comcast HSI in 2005 for Verizon Fios, which has varied between being a total "Nightmare" to "Perfect". It's still a work in progress, but now I have 2 Broadband internet providers to compare, so I consider this to be both an "Experiment" and a learning experience.
At the time in late Summer of 2005, Comcast would not guarantee me any expectation of reliable service, due to being at a 300' cable length from their tap.

Their Signal levels at my house were -12dB at best case, the modem upstream signal was maxed out at 52-54dB.

Essentially, my Comcast HSI wasn't working 95% of the time, and Comcast's only solution was for me to pay about $2k to have them move their tap 250' closer to my house, and there was no way I was going to pay for them to upgrade their neglected equipment, just so I could be a happier customer.

Review Continuing:
I chose to purchase the Motorola/Arris SBG6580 DOCSIS3.0 "Gateway" modem, instead of paying the $7/mo to rent one from Comcast, it set me back about $125, and I am planning on hanging around at least as long as it takes to break even, barring any technical or service issues.

So far, I am pleasantly surprised with what Comcast has changed since 2005.

My signal at the house is now a consistent +7dB(up from -12dB), and the modem upstream power has dropped down to 32-35dB(from the previously maxed out 54dB).

Download Speed is slightly better than advertised, 24Mbps(actual) vs 20Mbps(advertised), the upload side is about 4.9Mbps, just shy of the 5Mbps that I had expected.
I have not optimized the TCP/IP stack on my computer for this speed, so the discrepancy might be my own fault.

Those numbers have been consistent, both day and night, so I see no evidence of network congestion, or an oversold node.
I plan to set up some line monitors to graph this over time so I have some solid statistics to report.

One interesting feature that Comcast HSI offers, but Verizon does not, is a plethora of public" Xfinity WiFi" hotspots.
A added feature i will be taking a closer look at as time goes by.

Update:

October 30 2013: Replaced Modem SBG6580 with SB6141, just to mess around with IPv6, and hearing of too many people having issues with the SBG6580 (Keeping the SBG6580 as a Spare for myself, or a loaner for friends that I would then transfer to their existing account).

November 2013: Self-Installed Comcast "Digital Starter" TV service, just figured that I would see if it's about time to dump Fios for Comcast, since the Internet was working so well..
Noted that A/B switching between Comcast and Fios, the Comcast picture was a bit "soft", less sharp, even the color depth didn't have the same "POP" as Fios.
I am thinking the Comcast picture was over-compressed, as evidenced by watching some football games, and noting that, in fast motion scenes, there were far more compression artifacts than Fios.
Not really objectionable, but still, not as good as Fios

November 9th, 2013: Upgraded to AnyRoom DVR service with one remote HD box included, this required paying for "professional installation" that I wasn't very happy about.
Right from the beginning, the AnyRoom DVR never worked, the remote HD box couldn't see the HD-DVR, and the HD-DVR itself would not record anything.
The install tech didn't have time to test, or troubleshoot the issue, as they were apparently running late for their next appointment on the schedule.

After getting the run around by customer service, over the course of 3 calls, and probably 3-4 hours on the phone, their only solution was to send another tech out to get everything working, but they could not guarantee that it would be a free visit, to fix what the original installer didn't install properly in the first place.

I exercised their 30-day "Money back" guarantee, and canceled the TV, at least until they get the X1/X2 equipment into regular circulation.
Then I might go back and try it again.

November 29, 2013: Canceled all TV services, and returned all of the boxes to local Comcast office.

I still have Comcast HSI, which has worked flawlessly from day one, so this Review is still a work in progress..........

Comments:

Review by almaden See Profile

• Location: Renton,King,WA
Good "Fast connection, good presale info, good uptime"
Bad "Cost, some sales ppl calling after install, level 1 tech support has trouble with customer owned modems"
Overall "Execellent connection/speed, higher costs, some performance drops lately"

Original
-------
I decided to move away from CenturyLink/Qwest DSL 7Mbps/896kbps service after obvious YouTube throttling issues, DNS slowness, general high latency, and no speed upgrades available for 6 years.

I selected a Comcast Business connection for my telecommuting and family's ravenous appetite for YouTube. The connection is 27 Mbps down, 7 Mbps up although I am routinely getting 27Mbps down/25Mbps up. The additional cost for business class was worth it to me with 4 hour servicing and no cap on traffic.

The pre-sales process was excellent; I asked a lot of questions and made sure my sales rep. sent me at least 2 drafts of the proposed terms of service and cost before I signed. I expected pushback when I said I would provide my own modem (Motorola SB6121), but there were no issues.

The technician had the service up and running in less than an hour, and was very professional.

The only downside is the higher cost associated with business class service.I have yet to test all of the apparent benefits of using a business account, so if I require service, encounter higher latency or congestion, I will update how it was dealt with.

I also had a another sales representative call me at least four times (looking for a sale) even after I had signed up and activated my service.

2013-10-24
-----------
I've had some issues with Comcast DNS servers (75.75.75.75, 75.75.75.76) the last couple of days. YouTube performance is all over the map, from quick and snappy to lots of buffering and outright freezing.

I called customer service to see if there were some technical issues in my area; unfortunately with a customer owned modem, the technician could not provide any specific information to my connection. I was told that Comcast cannot access a Motorola customer owned modem. When I asked if there was any trouble on their side of the network, the technician could only tell me that my modem had not disconnected within the last week (not true, I power cycled it myself), and they could not provide any help with my DNS questions. It took three attempts to actually connect with a Business technician. I was routed to the residential side first and then suddenly disconnected on the second call.

Overall download speed remains at 27 Mbps, but the upload speed has dropped by half to about 13 Mbps. It's more than my service level calls for, but it was nice getting 25 Mbps up for the first few months. It's still not clear how much priority a business connection gets over the surrounding residential connections. I was told it was a different network with higher priorities, but I am not sure what that means in practice (VLAN, QoS, some sort of segmentation, etc).

So, it is still better than my old CenturyLink connection, but with the performance drops, trouble reaching the right person, and a kind of unpleasant conversation with the tech, I am disappointed with my most recent experiences.

2013-12-19
-----------
I was able to upgrade my business class account from 27/7 Mbps to 50/10 Mbps. The cost dropped from $109/mo to $99/mo. To get this I had to agree to extend my contract 12 months, back to another 3 year time frame.

The upgrade itself was pretty quick. Comcast updated my SB6121 configuration within 24 hours, and the new speed took effect after a reboot.

I verified around 52 Mbps/10.5 Mbps when directly plugged into the modem. Moving back behind my Netgear FVS336Gv2 firewall/router dropped the throughput to a consistent 28 Mbps/10 Mbps. Doing a little research on the FVS336v2, found that the total system LAN to WAN bandwidth should be 60 Mbps max, but I couldn't get any faster than about 30Mbps. I suspect that it's due to the FVS336v2 have two WAN interfaces for load balancing or roll-over, and that any one interface may be limited to half to the total system bandwidth, but this just is a guess.

To solve the problem I replaced the FVS336Gv2 with a Netgear R7000 WiFi router. This thing does look like a a F117, but I was finally able to get a consistent 50 Mbps/10Mbps speed from multiple computers across the LAN - WAN interface. Clearly a newer router design and dual 1GHz processors help the R7000 speed along.

member for 10.4 years, 756 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
micsullivan

join:2001-10-20
Issaquah, WA

With all do respect, Comcast is mediocre at best

Your service and level of support is 90% location and 10% luck. This is based upon four years at the 30 Mbps plus level years ago, then 2 months at the 50 Mbps plus level right now. The number of drops, technicians making guesses, and bureaucratic evasieness when you speak with some within the US is maddening.
Who? Me?

Caddyroger
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Youtube troubles

I have The 50 down and 10 up in the Tacoma area and Youtube is a hit and miss here. I do not believe it is on Comcast end.
Caddy