Review by dr2500 See Profile

• Location: Lancaster,Lancaster,PA
Good "Most bandwidth in my area."
Bad "none"
Overall "Comcast service is dependable in my area."

Blast! Internet Service
Equipment Used – Motorola SB6121
Service Type – Dynamic IP 105 Mbps download 10 Mbps upload.
I have been a Triple Play customer from January 2007 to July 2012.
I now only have internet services from Comcast.

member for 9.2 years, 2363 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

tempest30

@comcast.net

horrible service

I had to change my bundle because it ended when I called the rep I spoke to told me to go into a triple play for the same price of my old double play when I get my bill its extremely high the rep completely lied to me and they won't even take anything off my bill now I'm stuck with a big bill to pay because their policy is bull the company talks about customer satisfaction but their reps are liars and I'm not satisfied at all if where I live let me have a dish I would go to satellite because I just got hustled by a company that says they are all about their customers when all they are about is the customers money

Review by owlyn See Profile

• Location: Newtown,Bucks,PA
Good "Speed, price/value"
Bad "Tech Support could be better"
Overall "Generally pretty good"

UPDATE

After a couple of years, my price has crept up, but my speed has increased, and some channels and services have been added, so it's pretty much a wash. My speed is now at 105/10 (Blast!). Tech support is worse now that when I signed up. If I didn't make a contact by happenstance at the national tech support center, or contact Comcast Direct here, I'd be stuck with a few issues. I don't know how the average person can get something outside of normal problems fixed.

Still, I am happy overall, and have no plans on switching to FIOS.

END OF UPDATE

I've only had the service a few days, but so far, it's been comtastic. I'll write more after some more experience. Loving it so far. I can stream Blueray off the net with no problems at all. VPN to work is almost like lightning.

I dropped Verizon because of horrible tech support. I had DSL and was considering FIOS, but the wretched tech support turned me off. I started with the 10/2 speed triple play package with 2 DVRs and 1 DTA, HBO, SHO, and STARZ. 140/month including everything. Comcast has since increased my speed to 20/4 at no charge. My STARZ and SHO promos have ended, and my cost is still the same. Order and install was a snap, though the installer should have used a double wall jack for the phone instead of a plug in splitter. I found out after the fact. Not the end of the world. An Arris Cable Modem was supplied. The backup battery is Lithium Ion, so the whole unit is very small, about the size of a hardcover book. The backup battery for the phone should last 8 hours. I have the modem, and all my other equipment plugged into a UPS, so I should be able to get more time out of the phone if need be. Turns out that the original modem was bad- it did not recognize the battery. Tech came out, and gave me a new modem with battery. So, I now have two 8 hour batteries. Of course, who uses a landline phone these days anyway...

member for 10.4 years, 4432 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mike5026 See Profile

• Location: Rockford,Winnebago,IL
Good "Fast stable internet way faster than DSL"
Bad "Horrible Technical Support takes them forever to register a modem"
Overall "If you want a faster speed go with Comcast but if you want good tech support I wouldn't recommend it"

My current speed is the Blast! 16/2 at a discount price of $49.99 for 6 months and $62.95 after that. The installation was pretty quick and painless they just installed a cable wiring for me for free and got it up and running within 30 mins. The bad experience I only got was the modem kept unregistering itself and I kept getting the walled garden(Welcome to Comcast Activation Screen). Which is quite annoying you would have to call in to register it. I don't do the install software because theres no point to get it. But the speeds are usually fast and powerpoost usually makes my speed up to 30mbps not bad!

Update 9/24/10

I currently upgraded to the extreme 50. I must say it is lighting fast! I bought my own modem SB6120 so I don't have to pay comcast's crazy pricing as if I'm already paying for a crazy price. I'm still a happy customer here!

Update 10/14/11

Decided to get Comcast again after several attempts with a different carrier. I did have a couple problems with the billing department charging me several things that they did not do such as Wireless Network Install. Had to wait for a credit that took about 4 weeks. Other than that I use a SB6121 and a router Linksys E4200 including a Wireless Extender Linksys RE1000. Still getting fast lightning speeds for a low price of $39.99.

Update 05/28/12

Still have Comcast Blast! for $39.99. So far I am happy with the speeds but there would be an occasional slow speed or connection issues as usual.

Update 10/05/13

Still have Comcast Blast! for $64.95. Price increased even from years of service. Speed has been upgraded to 50/10 which is amazingly fast for me. Also, upgraded the modem to have 8 downstream and 4 upstream. Current modem is Motorola SB6141 and using a Apple Extreme Airport Base (2013 version)

Update 04/23/14

They have upgraded my speed to Extreme which is 102mbps/20mbps. It is not bad but the price remains around the 40-50 per month.

Comments:

Review by whfsdude See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
Good "FTTH, good speeds, awesome latency, no bandwidth cap, zero downtime so far. Great installation!"
Bad "Price is higher than I would like. Upstream is a little low (100mbit/s)"
Overall "Well worth it if you can justify the price."

Edit:

Got upgraded to 505mbit/s (actually 530mbit/s) and 100mbit/s up awhile ago. Service has been rock solid and I still love it.

Older review:
_____
I have had 305/65 service for 8 months now and am extremely happy with it.

The installation process was started late october with a request to ComcastSteve in the direct forums to have someone call me about it. About a day or two later I received a call, and shortly after was assigning a sales rep. who would coordinate the order and installation.

About a week after Comcast came out and did a site survey. This was a survey to make sure the prem. was okay for a fiber install. Then they walked to the node and checked the manholes to make sure there was room to run new micro conduit from the node (4 blocks away) to my pole.

The install required three visits. The first was to run the fiber pair from the house to the pole. The second which did not technically require a house visit but I wanted to stay in the loop, so they stopped by, was to run the fiber from the node to the manhole. The manholes are Verizon owned, so this required coordination with Verizon. This was actually the biggest delay and took about a week. The third was to splice the fiber into a splice enclosure and install the CPE (Ciena 3931). The install for this is obviously lengthy but doesn't require your presence the entire time. Of course, I wanted to see the whole thing.

By far the best install experience I have ever had. Pre-installation communication was great. I was given the cell phone number of the engineer responsible for my installation. Everyone from the line techs to engineering were wonderful, and explained every process of the install.

I don't have too much to say about the service as it just always works and is great. I've never had any downtime, other than swapping my router (pfsense atom box), and upgrading its software.

Speed is great, latency is under 2ms to Google. I always get 305/65. I use 5-6 terabytes a month without a peep from Comcast.

Price could be a little better; why is it not gigabit? 305/65 just seems like an arbitrary number.

My original thread contains a little more technical detail: [url]»Getting 305/65

member for 11.6 years, 6117 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

A T

join:2000-07-30

Very informative

Thanks for taking the time and sharing your experience.

Review by ClockerXP See Profile

• Location: Sterling Heights,Macomb,MI
Good "Great OnDeman Choices and Lots of HD. Phone works as advertised with no extra fees"
Bad "CS not as down home friendly as WOW. Bundle prices creep up over time."
Overall "Best Price/Services Ratio!"

·WOW Internet and..
X1 is Awesome. 105/20 Internet is Awesome. Phone works great.

Comcast's price beat WOW's and they over a lot more services/channels/ondemand/internet speed!

Comments:

Review by Andrew J See Profile

• Location: Lancaster,Lancaster,PA
Good "Very fast most times"
Bad "Pings are pretty good most of the time"
Overall "Fastest broadband I can get"

Edit 04-10-14 Speeds very good and service has been very reliable since the last edit.

Edit 08-25-11 Speeds very good and service has been very reliable since the last edit.

Edit 12-05-09 Free boost of speeds to 16,000/2,000 very good!

Edit 02-20-08 Still fast and only goes down an hour or two every six months.

Edit- 10-26-05: Price still at $70 but with the free upgrade now get a steady 8100/710. Pings are pretty good and everything else has been great for months now.

Edit 01-29-05: Price still at $70 but the system wide upgrade sent my speeds to a fairly steady 5400/710, now that's what I'm talkin about!

--------------------
Edit 7-29-04: For a total of $70 a month I get basic stripped down cable TV(don't use), cable modem, and 4,400Kbps down with 384Kbps up. This is really good and feels like the @home days of years ago! Ping times are better and I can live with them now most nights of the week.
---------------------
Comcast is 3300 down/ 256 up for standard service now. Speeds are wild from 100 - 2800 down for me. With pings still bad from 6 months ago. All traffic is routed through Chicago! This is so stupid you might have trouble believing it. My pings to Chicago Counter Strike servers are under 50. My pings to PA(where I live) and NYC servers are over 100!

Calling support is awful. If you have any problems, good luck. Mine was down and they said it would be 10 days before a tech could come out. Well it was 10 days but they did replace the transmitter and that fixed the node. Dynamic IP. Install went ok. $3 a month for MOT cable modem.

Ping has been better for a month or two.

Comments:

Review by xdotmatt See Profile

• Location: Spokane,Spokane,WA
Good "Prices are good to comparable services. Amazing internet speeds."
Bad "Tech support sometimes treats everyone like they don't know anything."
Overall "I recommend it, especially for great internet speeds."

I currently have HD cable with free HBO. The package includes Blast internet service which is rated at 50 Mbps download speeds. I do get these speeds which provides a good connection when needed. $100 a month might seem a lot, but it is nothing compared to what some smaller cable companies provide. Honestly, I feel like the prices are fair.

Comments:

Review by beerbum See Profile

• Location: Reading,Berks,PA
Good "None of the limits or hassles associated with DSL"
Bad "Self Installs sometimes don't work and you will have to pay for service call."
Overall "I say go for it"

09/09/2007 -- Downgraded from Workplace account to Residential 8800/768. Average transfer speeds with the PowerBoost are 1.2 to 2.5 MB/s download and uploads are 200-255 kB/s. I had a serious problem canceling the Workplace account. You have to sign and fax in a change request form, I did that on May 28th - it took until Sept 6th for the account to be closed - during this time they were charging me for both Residential and Commercial Internet, and since they suck with the billing, I was forced to pay for both otherwise they would shut me off. Now I do have a huge credit on the account.

11/19/2006 -- upgraded to Comcast workplace standard with static IP back in May 06, at first they tried pushing the config to my SB4200 modem, it worked sort of (modem kept locking up).. eventually they came and replaced it with their SMC8013WG-CCR gateway, and they even replaced my old '59 drop.. Service is and has been rock solid at 8/768.

11/12/2005 Time for an update. My original review of the service I gave as a neutral since at the time I worked for Comcast.. Installing cable modems, so naturally installation was a breeze. Since installation I had a total of two outages, one was when Comcast's DNS servers died which was easy to fix and the other was when my router died.. So since I installed the service there have been actually zero signal outages. Modem uptimes are months at a time, only interruptions are when I reboot. I leave tech support at neutral since I never need to call them, I am my own tech support. Value for the money is excellent.. Where else can you get a 6 megabit connection for under $50 a month? The only negative thing I can say is I hear now that if you get their self install kit, and if you can't get it to work (poor signal) and you need to have a technician, in some markets they now want to charge you for a service call.. When I worked there that was free but I guess no more.

======================================================

Install was completed in very little time, maybe one hour from picking up the modem and I was online.

(1/14/03)

I have had no problems with the service. ping times have been great. not one single outage since getting the service about one year ago. I really have no complaints about this service.

2/23/03 nothing new just updating to change ISP displayed

member for 14.5 years, 6516 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dgeorge90 See Profile

• Location: Riverside,Burlington,NJ
Good "AS Advertised 105mb/s (down) 20(up) thank you!"
Bad "Weekend Customer Service"
Overall "I love Comcast!"

Update: April 02, 2014

X1 Platform 3 rooms DRV/Networked throughout

Remote controls much improved, including reception by devices. (works when not pointed directly at receiver) .
Read Facebook account, Apps weather, traffic, etc. with one push on the remote. The cable installer and line crew showed up on time and ensured signal clarity over a two hour period in the evening (per install appointment). Upbeat, polite, informative and treated us (including our beloved Georgie) with respect. Amazing considering the cost is $10 over what I paid before the upgrade. Comcast wants this to work. Internet speeds exceed expectations and I cannot remember the last time I lost connection.

Updated: November 23, 2013

No changes. Reliability of speeds and service from Comcast are unparalleled. Constantly adding hot spots and ensuring their lines are delivering. Never been effected by caps, if any. Unless you are using your service to deliver and receive data 24/7 as an IT business you will not even be aware of a cap.

Updated: October 17, 2013

No changes and I have to say Comcast reliability and speeds are amazing. I live in an area where super storm Sandy hit hard and I never lost connectivity. I am sorry how much friends relatives and the general public were affected. I cannot remember the last time I was without phone, TV or internet. It is also nice to see Comcast trucks doing upgrades and preventive maintenance to nodes around the two areas I preside, (not contractors). They keep it > 105mb/s up, > 20mb/s down. I also have »test-ipv6.comcast.net/ consistently. I don't know what else to say accept thanks Comcast!

Sincerely,
G

Update: March 3, 2013

I have a full install of extreme 105 with a new cable and connectors straight run to my Arris modem. I still have not considered Verizon FIOS at this point due to download speeds and steady high price, upload is ok.
A family member subscribes to FIOS and is upset with Verizon and will switch back to Comcast. Comcast customer service and equipment are the best option for my service area. Great service response during normal working hours. Knowledgeable service Technician.

There are Satellite and FIOs in my area, but they cannot provide the speeds Comcast does with there cable. I receive speeds and price as advertised. I am impressed with the fast service, reliability, and turn-around-time. Unlike Verizon's FIOS you get the speed you pay for.

Comments:

baineschile
2600 ways to live
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

...

What tier or you on? Speedtest?

Re: ...

Extreme 50
iambrandon

join:2011-01-23
Temecula, CA

Regarding FiOS

Not sure where the "you get the speed you pay for unlike FiOS" is from. I pay for 150/50 and I receive 175/75. I get more than I pay for. With no cap. Unlike Comcast.

Re: Regarding FiOS

Good for you. Actually iambrandon I couldn't figure out how Verizon advertises 12mb down as being fast. I know upstream Comcast cannot compete (yet), but lets face it most of us need fast surfing and downloading. 12mb upstream is fine. Let me ask you a question. Do you live in an area that has all new lines? How much does it cost for all of that speed? I am interested.
iambrandon

join:2011-01-23
Temecula, CA

Re: Regarding FiOS

I think 12mb down is just marketed to people who don't need it for too much. I believe an HD Netflix stream takes 5mbit FWIW and compared to DSL it's fast.

My area was wired roughly 3 - 4 years ago max and I'm paying $194.99/mo for just the internet but it's never failed on me.

Re: Regarding FiOS

Thanks - You are getting what you pay for if it has never failed. Actually I am in a good area for Comcast, and I use a dedicated line to the house and modem that is reliable as well. I never lose my connection either. Enjoy all that speed, I envy you!
dkurz415

join:2013-10-19

Speed

That's great speed...South Korea's average!

Review by ctgreybeard See Profile

• Location: Bethel,Fairfield,CT
Good "New service center in Danbury, CT is very good"
Bad "A little expensive"
Overall "Solid service"

IPV6 just arrived in the area. A little late but it's working fine.

Speeds are very good. We might get a boost a bit later but I'm not holding my breath.

member for 13 years, 5716 visits, last login: a few hours ago