Review by socbrian See Profile

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
Good "Speeds are reliable "
Bad "comcast"
Overall "It works"

It works, basic 25/5 plan

member for 4.4 years, 203 visits, last login: a few hours ago
lodged a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Darknessfall See Profile

Good "Reliable so far, speeds"
Bad "Sales staff, poor billing, hidden fees"
Overall "Do NOT change anything on your account!"

·Frontier Communi..
Received the SMC smcd3gnv Xfinity gateway.

Got the Performance 16/2 tier with boost up to 20/4 for 19.99 first year and 34.99 2nd year.

Order was a mess at first and had to fix it all but the installer was ok.

11/3/2012

Still decent so far, no loss of service. Upload speeds dropped a little too. Pings to nearby NE servers are around 43ms, pings to Chicago are around 45ms, pings to Texas are around 80ish ms, and pings to CA are around 105ms.

3/2/2013

Now I have the Linksys DPC3008 modem. I have 8 downstream and two upstream channels. I also received the speed upgrade on the performance tier which is not 22/4 sustained with really bursty download PBs that run out quick.

6/28/2013
Had 8 downstream and now 3 upstream for a couple months. Service still the same. Coming up on year two. May look for $34.99 Blast soon.

Got looped into a mess of nothing. Comcast live chat tells me to go to local center to get a wireless gateway. We go and they tell us to get phone service to get a gateway. I gave up and just stayed with my DPC3008 due to Comcast centers that don't want to give us something we just had :/.

7/20/2013
Ordered an Arris TG862 gateway. Shipping was fast. Billing problems are constant! I constantly get told something is waived and then it comes up next month as a fee! I have to repeatedly contact Comcast to get fees waived and it has become a chore. I have had to get charges fixed at least 3-4 times with 12 months. You DO NOT want to change anything on your account or else you're just asking for issues. Considered going back to AT&T if these billing issues continue. Seems like no one knows what each other is doing.

8/16/2013
Returned the gateway. Still was being charged for it this month. Guy at the center took it off our account but didn't mark us as customer owned :/. This is ridiculous. They need to do something about their terrible billing/workers.

That "Pre Sales information" rating isn't an error. I actually gave them a 1 on that.
12/30/2013
Purchased a Zoom 5352 gateway. Still have my WD N750 and EA6300 if I ever decide that the Zoom isn't good enough in the wireless department. May just decide to sell them or something.
2/17/14

No longer have Comcast at this time.

8/30/14

Considering going back to Comcast for Internet, but unsure at this time until price drops.

Update 10/23/14

Actually, I think that unless Frontier becomes incredibly bad in the next few months, I'll be staying with them. Comcast seems to keep increasing new customer promotional pricing here in Connecticut for internet only tiers.

member for 2.1 years, 1207 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Darknessfall

Tests

To Houston:

To Portland, OR:

TESTS: 7/20/2013

WITH POWERBOOST DROPPING OFF:

Still poor latency to NY servers(45ms)
MrRuckus

join:2004-01-30
Portland, OR

I agree with 'dont change anything on your account'..

My brother moved and I have had my email on his account for over 10 years when we both use to live in an apartment together. We have both since moved on with our own wives and he recently moved to a new house. Luckily he took Comcast with him. He did a service move, and kept all the same services. I went to watch some ondemand online and could not. Gave it a couple of weeks with the move and still nothing. It said I didn't have a subscription.

Long story short, I spoke to Comcast chat and they advised me that none of the emails were moved with the account. The account migrated, but none of the emails from the previous location. They advised you have to tell them, that you want to keep your email address specifically, or they're gone. I asked how I could sign into my email then if it wasn't associated with an account, he advised they give you time, but it would eventually go away and no longer function. My brother had 5 email addresses for over 10 years worth of emails. I was able to get them to activate and move all of the old email accounts to the new address, but thought it was odd this was not done automatically. One would think if you are moving services, everything would migrate with it.

Review by tlbaxter See Profile

• Location: USA
Bad "Comcast Screws Me Over"

I've had Comcast Internet for 4 months, since mid-June, 2014. For the first 3 months the service did not work as advertised. Connections were often not established. When the service "worked" performance was horrible. I called tech support probably 6 or 7 times and had three different technicians come out to my place to try to fix it. (Incidentally, the second technician was 2.5 hours late and forgot his equipment, but, to his credit, he gave me a $25 credit.) Finally, the third technician "fixed the problem" but this was after three months of pathetic service. I actually made an earlier post about this problem on DSLReports.

"What was the problem", you must be asking yourself?

Here it is: I was using one of the combination modem/router devices that Comcast recommended...a Motorola SBG6580, which is one of the devices on their "Approved DOCSIS 3.0 List" (silly me, what was I thinking?). It was my own brand new, fresh from Best Buy, out of the box device, *and* it was on Comcast's Approved DOCSIS 3.0 list. Actually, over the course of this three-month ordeal, I went through THREE different devices, all of them brand new, all of them on Comcast's Approved List for DOCSIS 3.0 and none of them working...supposedly. It kind of makes you think the problem is with the service, not the modem/router, right? I mean, three bad devices, all on the Comcast Approved List? How likely is that?

All three technicians who visited my apartment recommended against using these modem/router devices, in spite of the fact that Comcast recommended them (again, silly me). The third technician actually swapped out my device for a stand-alone modem and everything worked perfectly! This is how he "fixed" the problem -- by ditching the Comcast-approved device for a stand-alone modem.

Okay, fair enough. It all worked, I had some credits from Comcast for the previous poor service, and overall, I was happy enough. Everything finally worked.

Tonight (October 20th) I noticed a $60 charge on my bill for third technician’s visit to my apartment. I spoke to a customer service person (Tina) and she said I was being charged because there was a problem with *my* device, that I owned. It was not a Comcast device that I rented, so, naturally I had to be charged. Naturally.

I explained everything to Tina -- about the poor, nearly non-existent service for three months, three new modem/router devices, all of which were on Comcast’s recommended list, three technician visits, all of whom said, off the record, of course, not to use the Comcast "recommended" modem/router combination devices, the numerous call to technical support, and still she refused to remove the $60 credit.

It's a painful ordeal. I feel I did everything reasonable. I wasn't trying to cheat anyone. I spent three months with horrible service. My big mistake, apparently, was to follow the Comcast recommendations.

Tomorrow I will cancel this service from Comcast and go with the one other company that offers service here. The other company is a bit more expensive but as a matter of principle, I will not use Comcast ever again. They treat their customers like dirt.

Comments:

Review by wchillman See Profile

• Location: Gig Harbor,Pierce,WA
Good "Performance Starter is all that a cord-cutter needs."
Bad "Nevertheless, it still feels like extortion."
Overall "Reclassify under Title II as common carriers so the FCC can order them to open up their internet lines to competition."

The most common complaints in the Comcast forums fall into three areas: overpriced plans, continual price increases, and poor customer service. Our way to deal with these complaints is to apply the KISS principle and follow two essential cardinal rules:

1. NEVER bundle

2. AVOID all TV packages

By keeping things this simple, it is nearly impossible for Comcast to pull any monkey business. All this may sound counterintuitive but we now get GREAT ENTERTAINMENT AS WELL AS INTERNET for LESS THAN 50 BUCKS A MONTH with no junk fees! Not only that, we watch it in high definition without renting any Comcast cable box or paying any silly HD Technology Fee! It really affords a value proposition that Comcast just can’t match. Read on if you are interested.

You may not know this but in 2012, Comcast was ordered by the FCC to offer a stand-alone broadband service with a download speed of at least 6 mbps at a price no greater than $49.95 per month. This order was extended to February 21, 2015 and the speed tier is called Performance Starter. As recent retirees on a fixed income, we opted for this service as the monthly charge is fixed at $49.95 with no other taxes, charges or fees. That’s right: a fixed price with no surprise increases in your bill and no added junk fees. THIS, BY THE WAY, IS A RARITY WITHIN COMCAST'S SERVICE PACKAGES. Nonetheless, it still feels like extortion but that is a conversation for another day. So, we only have Comcast’s Performance Starter internet service with NO subscription to Xfinity TV, Voice, or Home, NO Bundle, NO Comcast Cable Box, and NO Contract. Here’s a list of JUNK FEES WE DON’T PAY and you can avoid them too:

• HD DVR Rental and Service Fees

• Universal Connectivity Charges

• Federal Excise Taxes

• Gross Receipts Taxes

• Utility or Communications Services Taxes

WHEW! As you can see, Comcast will nickel and dime you to death. Not only did we want to avoid paying these junk fees but we were really sick of paying triple-digit monthly bills as well as suffering through commercials that were taking up nearly 1/3 of every viewing hour. Performance Starter allows us to enjoy a FAR SUPERIOR VIEWING EXPERIENCE than we ever had with Comcast TV at a fraction of what we paid in the past. As cord-cutters, we use a streaming device (Roku, Apple TV, and Google Chromecast are the more popular ones with the Amazon Fire TV being the most recent) for all of our TV viewing including news, TV shows, and movies as well as music. These streaming devices render Comcast’s Cable Box obsolete as well as their TV offerings and I have fond memories dumping off their cable box at our local Comcast service center – much to their displeasure. The news we watch now is far better than anything we ever had on Comcast TV and, thanks to Netflix, YouTube, as well as Amazon (which recently added older HBO shows to their streaming catalog), we can now watch commercial-free TV and movies. Now that I look back, I think it has been years since we have watched any commercials at all. If you cannot do without basic network TV, you could install an OTA antenna and possibly get many HD channels for free depending on your position relative to the broadcast towers. Even though we receive basic network TV for free, we never watch it as the streaming alternatives are just so far superior. I should say, however, that it took some time to adjust to watching in this way as we had been so conditioned to think that it really wasn’t “TV” unless you are continually bombarded by commercials. It’s certainly a welcome change for us to be able to watch what we want, when we want, where we want, on our TV or whatever other device we want, rather being constrained by Comcast’s TV schedule and limited by their offerings. We used to watch Comcast’s On Demand movies but when we cross-checked them against IMDb, we found that they rated quite poorly, whereas Netflix and Amazon have amazing catalogs of great content. Even with heavy TV viewing in HD, we never go over 200 GB/month but I should say we are a hardwired single video stream household. Although Comcast recently suspended their 250 monthly GB bandwidth cap, they are raising it to 300 GB/month in selected service areas. While it doesn’t affect us, if you are running multiple video streams SIMULTANEOUSLY within your household, you could experience some congestion and you might be subject to a $10 charge for every 50 GB you exceed the 300 GB cap. Essentially, this is just a money grab by Comcast but even with the overages this may still be cheaper compared to Comcast’s standard packages. Also, never ever rent a cable modem from Comcast if you can avoid it. Purchasing one can pay for itself in less than a year. Last but not least, if you have a bundle that includes Xfinity Voice, try Republic Wireless for your phone and drop Xfinity Voice as well as your landline. Republic Wireless’s smartphone is really worth considering particularly if you feel you are also being fleeced by Big Cell.

In the past when we bundled services, it was easy for Comcast to bamboozle us with their underhanded pricing shenanigans but not anymore. Bundling Comcast services, it turns out, is probably not in your best interest particularly when you consider other options like the one I mentioned above. We found Comcast’s Performance Starter single play is a simple way to lower your bill, improve your viewing experience, and manage the cost of their service. It is really like a double play (since you can get TV entertainment as well as internet) but you only pay for a single play and it is not just for new subscribers – everyone is eligible! By using a streaming device with Comcast’s Performance Starter it is quite easy to drop Comcast TV with its obnoxious commercials and ridiculous pricing. Comcast, however, will do just about anything to keep you from cancelling your TV subscription. First, they will try to upsell you by saying that Performance Starter is not fast enough to stream video in HD but don’t believe them - it is more than adequate for all our HD viewing as well as VoIP and internet use. Next, they will continue to try to upsell you with a temporary offer for additional overpriced services but don’t fall for it - you will just be shell-shocked when the prices revert back to normal. Comcast’s latest scheme is to say that internet alone would cost more than internet and TV together. Be very very wary of this ploy as you need to factor in all applicable junk fees I noted above in order to really determine if it is, in fact, a better deal. I’d also be leery of Comcast’s VISA gift card sales tactic as there are a ton of complaints about it in the forums. Lastly, they may even send you to their retention department to dissuade you from changing your service plan but just stand firm and insist on Performance Starter and NOTHING MORE. We automatically pay the bill each month with our credit card and so rarely need to contact the company (it’s been years). This makes life easier as reports in the Comcast forum indicate that customer service is an absolute nightmare. Once you have completed this change, Comcast will step-up their sales calls with offers to entice you to add your services back but just ignore them. If your household is similar to ours and you are not a power user, why overspend on internet service? Is it just for bragging rights? Certainly, you should consider a promotion that bests this price but only a fool would pay Comcast more money than they need to. All of this is really not that hard to implement or acclimate to and will pay off in spades.

Lastly, maybe we could get better prices and speeds if the U.S. Department of Justice initiated an antitrust lawsuit and broke up this monopoly like they did against AT&T in the 1970's or at least reclassify them under Title II as a common carrier as then the FCC can order ISPs to offer their internet lines to other companies, thus increasing competition.

member for 2.9 years, 553 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

jlatimer

@comcast.net

Competition is necessary

While I agree that competition is necessary, Comcast is not at fault in this regard. Building and maintaining the infrastructure necessary to support telecommunications is not cheap, if it were, you would see a lot more competition out there. Just like you don't see car manufacturers popping up every day, you don't see telecom providers popping up.

If you want to see more competition start at the source, the manufacturers of fiber and network communication equipment, and the content owners such as ESPN and others charging an arm and a leg for their service and requiring it to be on basic tiers of service.
wchillman

join:2011-11-20
Gig Harbor, WA

Re: Competition is necessary

I overpay these clowns for sub-par speeds while the executives collect their multi-million dollar salaries. Comcast in particular and the cable monopoly in general is at fault. Here is the solution:

»billmoyers.com/segment/susan-cra···-unfair/
Beck38

join:2014-05-12
Mukilteo, WA

Look to the East (in Washington State)

PUD (Public Utility District) built fiber, with multiple TV/Phone/Internet providers (gee, sounds like what the FCC originally tried to do with telco years back) is going gangbusters in eastern Washington State. Speeds to Gigabit, no caps, pricing half or better than either Comcast OR Frontier FIOS, and with regulated electric rates 1/3rd that of us in the 'western' half (no Enron and FERC controlling it there) and no hyper-inflated housing market on top of all that.

I'm out as soon as I can get all the ducks in order (sell the house, etc), but I'm retired so have the option.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
·DIRECTV

Tell the FCC

said by wchillman:

"We need to reclassify them as a common carrier."

quote:
The FCC has asked for public comment on new rules about net neutrality.
Use this form to submit a comment to the FCC - »dearfcc.org/

Eastern Washington State

Beck 38 - You are absolutely right! The 509 is the way to go. Spokane electric rates and communications are still similar to Seattle, but Central Washington has got it all. The Grand Coulee dam (one of the biggest hydroelectric generation stations in the world) is bordered on both Grant and Douglas counties. The Grand Coulee along with many other dams are owned by the utilities themselves, which enables them to provide cheap power, as they do not need to go through the federal government. Google and Yahoo have migrated there for their server farms, bringing the speed along with them.

Across the Columbia from East Wenatchee - Chelan County - has their own fiber - to - house lines. Unlike 'FIOS', these are NOT owned by a corporation - but the power company, meaning you have the freedom to choose any provider you want.

My friend has Local Tel - Probably the most efficient, well priced, and awesome broadband provider I've seen. The internet is run straight Ethernet to the ONT, it uses PPPoE so make sure you keep your login and password if you need to configure your router. The phone is connected like a regular POTS directly to the ONT. And finally, the TV coax is not used by 'cable modems' like FIOS, allowing STELLAR quality TV, and, since the ONT is addressed not the box, many channels can be received with the TV's built-in tuner, allowing a much less cluttered entertainment system. Long live LocalTel!
Beck38

join:2014-05-12
Mukilteo, WA

Re: Eastern Washington State

said by filter4ever:

Actually, no, the Grand Coulee is a Federal Dam, part of the BPA (Bonneville Power Administration). Those county PUD's in eastern Washington actually DO own their own dams (for instance, Chelan PUD owns Rocky Reach as well as another I don't recall off the top of my head) which is why they are so low.

Other PUD's in Wash. St. that rely on the BPA too much (Snohomish is a good example which gets 90% of it's power from the BPA) are at the beck and call of Enron (and which initiated the original investigations of Enron) . Seattle City Light also owns a sizable part of it's own generating capacity, most notably the Boundary Dam on the Pend Oreille River in northeastern Washington state.

But it all comes down to FERC, which is packed with Republicans and which refuses to go after the Enron contracts.

Comcast / XFinity Troubleshooting

As this is a rather long post, many of the following procedures are in-depth and require some technical knowledge and tools - proceed at your own risk!

As a 10 year customer, I know Comcast is one of the best services you can get, in terms of speed, latency, technology, and quality of service. I do not watch much TV, and have a Cell phone, but their internet is second only to LocalTel - a small internet provider in Wenatchee, WA and central Washington over PUD owned fiber lines.

I do however, have extensive knowledge of how their system works, and how to troubleshoot it. I am neutral as I am not a sales person trying to push service, I am only telling my experience.

Now a days, Comcast is mostly doing SIK (Self Install Kits), where you simply plug in the equipment. They will even ship the equipment out to you, which makes it convenient. Without a tech though, you, and the rep on the phone, have no way of knowing whether there is even cable signal to the house, or if the cable there is from 1983 when CATV was first deployed in your area. At that time they never dreamed of Internet and hence did not design the system for such services. I have seen friends that were trying to hook up cable, and there wasn't even cable going to the outlet they were trying to hook up.

Remember, the service will only work if it is installed RIGHT. I will tell you a few tips on how to troubleshoot your own cable, so you can have the service that you pay for.

If your TV breaks up into little squares, this is caused by interference, or ingress. This is the root of many problems with all 3 services, TV, Internet, and Telephone.

First, turn the box off and press "OK", this will bring you to a blue menu. Check the "OOB", make sure SNR is 'GOOD' (over 20dB). Next check "Inband Status" - This will show the quality of the channel you are on. Make sure the SNR is 'GOOD' (over 34 and not many errors), and "Upstream Status" - make sure it's not over 60dB. If OnDemand doesn't work, check "Interactive Status", make sure it has an IP address. If it does not, wait a few minutes.

If these are all 'OK', call Comcast (1-800-Comcast), and tell them to send a 'HIT' to your box. If you aren't even getting the guide, ask for an 'INT HIT', which will refresh the EEPROM on the box.

If you aren't getting anything at all, there is most likely no connection between the box and the tap (up on the pole or in the ground). Check the cable going to the wall make sure it's not of low quality and loose. If it's not, take the plate off (if you can, on most internally wired houses. Externally you cant). Often somewhere you will find a 'crappy looking' connection. There's your problem. If there is nothing connected to it at all, well, there's your problem. If there is a bad connection or no cable, call for a tech install and tell them what's wrong.

This work CAN be done yourself, but you need special strippers, crimpers, and fittings. Make sure they are of the COMPRESSION type and the splitters are rated at 1GHz. Also, make sure the cable you use is of the RG-6 type, and the fittings are put on properly (there should be no braid hanging out of the back, and the white (dielectric) should be FLUSH with the front of the fitting. Look up how to put a fitting on Google should be of some help. Make sure that you do not split one signal of another, off another (daisy chain). This will degrade the signal by half every time you split. If you are prewiring your house for remodel, consider putting in a Leviton 'Smart Panel', running all your outlets to a central location and splitting/amplifying them there. Above all, DO NOT splice a cable behind drywall where it cannot be accessed. This will make it impossible for a Comcast tech or yourself to troubleshoot in the future.

For internet problems, the number one problem is your router not receiving the correct IP address, most likely due to activation on a wired computer and then plugging in a WiFi router. Remember to unplug the cable modem, plug it back in, wait for it to synchronize (Power, Downstream, Upstream, and Online lights all solid).

For other signal problems such as getting kicked up randomly and slow service, make sure your modem is hooked up and go to »192.168.100.1 and go to 'Signal'. Look at the 'Downstream Status' - should be between -10dB and 10dB. Next 'Upstream Status' - should be between 20 and 54dB. Finally, look at the downstream 'SNR', this should be 33dB and above. The best speed test for the internet I use is »www.speedtest.net.

The main problems I've seen with a phone is when you plug a fax machine in, line 1 is shorted to line 2. Make sure to use a cable that has only 2 gold contacts (1 pair) to connect to the EMTA. Other than that, the problems with the telephone are with the same equipment as the internet.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of miscommunication between the customer and the rep which causes a lot of negative feelings towards Comcast. If you need any work done, such as a 'drop' (line from the street to your house) run, additional outlets installed, through a brick house etc. make sure you provide the rep with as much details as possible, as they schedule the amount of time the tech has with you based on what you order. After that allotted slot, he/she will have another job in the same slot (8-10 AM for example). It is also usually one person who comes out, unless they can get help from other techs on a large job or one that requires special equipment.

I do not watch TV, only the local channels. If you are getting internet, I recommend getting "Limited Cable" along with it (if you are not getting phone), as you get a $10 discount for having multiple services, so the net cost is about $5/mo with the box and all that.

Their internet is very fast, as they have their own "backbone" which minimizes latency (i.e. if you do a tracert, you will see it hop through Comcast's network to the least busy node and to Google, etc). The download and upload speeds in my area are excellent, 25 MBPS down and 6MBPS up. No other service, DSL or other, can get closer than 1/4 that speed.

Their telephone service is of excellent quality, I know because I hooked up a dial-up modem to CDV and it locked at 52.6KBPS (The maximum allowable dial-up speed), over VOIP.

Hopefully this will help many perplexed customers, some procedures will require tech-savvy knowledge. I am not affiliated with Comcast, and am not responsible for anything that may arise. If in doubt call Comcast and provide them with as much as you know, is my best advice.

Re: Comcast / XFinity Troubleshooting

A couple things I forgot to mention. When hooking up a router: unplug the cable modem first (from power, plug the Ethernet to the router in, plug the cable modem power back in with the Coax and Ethernet connected), wait for all 4 lights to be solid, and then plug in your router. If you have phone, there is a little hole on the back of the EMTA (combo VOIP modem) that says "RESET". If you plug in the router without resetting, it will get the 192.xxx.xxx.xxx private IP from the offline modem, and you will not be able to get online.

If the modem gets stuck at the "Upstream" light, chances are there is a filter on the line that they used to put on in order to keep noise from entering the network. If you find one around on your line, it needs to be removed. If you are not receiving all your channels there also may be a filter on the line. You may find one around your house but chances are they will be on the pole or lockbox. However, there is another type of filter that is used if you have an Anyroom or MoCa DVR. Call Comcast and have them swing by and take it off. This is an easy fix and will save you the trouble of having to stay home for service, and you may not even have to pay a fee.

Finally, I recommend purchasing your own modem or EMTA. Look under »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net for compatible equipment. In my area the rental fees are $8/mo (for a modem) plus tax. A $100 modem will pay for itself in a year. An EMTA costs around $160. These are very particular, make sure you get the compatible model number.

adiletante

@98.232.225.x

Performance Starter

I can't find anything about this locally (Oregon) -- is this still in effect. PS Comcast is the only game in town for high speed internet.
wchillman

join:2011-11-20
Gig Harbor, WA

Re: Performance Starter

Comcast is the only viable option for high speed internet in our area too (Gig Harbor, WA). The FCC has required them to provide this 6/1 internet tier (Performance Starter) in ALL markets at a price point no greater than $49.95/month. If you can do better on a promotion, then you might want to consider that. They ABSOLUTELY have to provide it in Oregon too.

Review by DemonicLlama See Profile

• Location: Arlington,Arlington,VA
Good "Speed, Latency, Ordered and setup through online portal with no rep required, Using own Cable modem."
Bad "Price"
Overall "Overall Great. Kudos to seamless self install kit. Nothing to complain about yet."

Moved to a new place back in July where I had Verizon DSL and Directv. I ordered the base internet only package self install kit (26/6 $39.99p/m) and received the self install kit within 5 days. I also ordered a ARRIS/Motorola SB6121 from amazon to not pay the additional $8 a month for renting theirs. Once I received the equipment the online setup after doing some cable management it took about 20 minutes using the online setup page to activate the entire setup. Heard some horror stories about self install but this was a painless setup. Works great with Netflix and ARMA 3. So far Billing has been accurate and no problems with it being incorrect. I use broadcast tv(netflix ftw) whenever I am not playing Arma or another game. The package price feels like it should be in the $30 range instead of $40 but I only have Verizon DSL(7-15Mbps) available as an alternate at a similar price point($40).

Comments:

Review by GordonRT See Profile

• Location: Alpharetta,Fulton,GA
Good "Very reliable, rarely is there an issue"

Have bundled HSD, Video and Telephony. HSD and Telephony via the ARRIS TM722 have been very reliable providing in excess of the contracted 25x5 service. Works great for Xbox live games. Value for money is weak. I've already exceeded the 300GB caps twice! Uverse has stated their intent to deploy GigB in our metropolitan area. If offered GiGB service I could be persuaded to jump!

member for 5.2 years, 374 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by MDA See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Good "Comcast is on top of its network and rarely does it ever experience downtime for myself"
Bad "Customer Service as always and pricing"
Overall "At least Comcast offers its customers worthy promotions and upgrades"

Update 4/1/2014: Called in and had the bill lowered from 250$ to 200$ a month. Got the X1 bundle thrown in and are on a non-contract term now for 2 years, but the price of these services is pretty harsh. Their biggest moneymaker is its high speed internet and yet they jack up the price of it unless you bundle with the even more expensive cable TV subscription which is a dying service in itself.

Original: What is now Comcast in our area, was Time Warner. They had POOR line quality and frequent disconnects (compared to Comcast). I subscribed to the 10mb/512k package at the time, but rarely did I see speed over 650kbps down (concurrent).

Comcast bought out Time Warner here in Minnesota back in 2003 or 2004 and since, the modems they offer for lease and line quality have been exceptional. They are good at giving you a little extra for your money since even though I started with their Performance 12/2mb package, I was getting 1.5mb download concurrent which around a 15mb package. Very satisfied at that fact.

Customer Service whether its on site technicians or phone support, has had its days with me. Some Comcast Techs come out and do some really quick installation or modification of the home cabling and some come out and undo what the previous tech did because they said it was completely wrong. Fortunately when that happens, the problem gets fixed for the better.

member for 1.1 years, 172 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by DOStradamus See Profile

• Location: Santa Rosa,Sonoma,CA
Good "Worked the day I signed up (60/6!), Support quick that day"
Bad "I'm warned about "
Overall "Good for the time being, REALLY good!"

I moved, and needed to be online FAST at my new address. Being too far from the CO for Sonic (sorry, Dane!), and since att (nee SBC) is a joke, I had to check out Comcast.

Went down their company "Xfinity" store on a Friday afternoon, after checking their deals at their wwwsite. They Quoted me 39.95/month *there*, and I told the lady I was dealing with that I saw 29.99 on their website. After disappearing for about 10 minutes, she got me that price,and said she'd get things going right away. Shocked at how fast they do things, I opted to RENT a cable modem for $8/month. That was OPTIONAL... I could have gone to Best Buy (100 yards away) and bought one for $60, But hey, I'll be online "tomorrow", after they ran the truck.

Well, they didn't need to run the truck. BUT, I did need to call them to activate the bridge. A tad over 2 minutes on hold... WOW! 60/6 connected directly to my laptop...

Went to set up email and nonesuch (Comcast doesn't even give php/mysql to biz customers, without extra charges - later review), and saw that there was still a truck roll scheduled. Clicked "cancel service call", and got sent to a chat window... waited 1 minute for the chat, and, said "cancel the truck roll... all is OK"... "NO don't mess with it... just tested it at 60/6"... "they're your wires, but really"... and goit her to cancel the appointment.

$15 bucks for "HSI National SIK charge", plus ($65.95 - $36.96) for my monthly, plus eight for the modem, plus ONLY SEVENTY CENTS IN UNFEES = 553.69 for my first bill.

Can't beat that with a stick!

-NK

member for 10.9 years, 2121 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Zenit See Profile

• Location: Purcellville,Loudoun,VA
Good "Fast & Reliable Connection (28mbit/5mbit), Good Phone Service with WiFi calling for cell phones"
Bad "Installation Problems, Billing Issues, Normal Tech Support is bleh"
Overall "Normal Tech Support is not helpful - use the support here. Fast Internet. The only choice for many homes..."

·T-Mobile US
·Verizon Online DSL
Update 10/20/14:
Ah, Comcast billing strikes AGAIN. Bill shot up from $107 to $140 after only a few months! Same level of service. People get Blast with prices this high, Comcast is gouging again, and I have nowhere to threaten to run which means negotiation will SUCK.

//Still no FIOS to run to...sigh. How the hell do you negotiate when they know they have you by the balls?//

They are still charging for a non-existent DTA (we had 2, returned 1, still charging for 2). Now they changed the DTA fee into an "Additional Outlet DTA fee" which combined the two separate DTA fees. What

Rental on the aging Arris Tm722G went up to $8, more gouging.
Comcast killed off Pulse Dialing (minor negative).

Thankfully they are not charging DVR fees...yet.
Not a positive update.

Update 7/29/14:
Returned the old HD box, the SD Extra Outlet box, and 1 DTA to the local office. Line moved fast, CSR was friendly and asked how the X1 is working.

X1 is a great box, we are using the DVR more and more. Internet is stable at 28/5.

Bill has gone down to $93 thanks to the $10 discount I will have for a few months. I noticed they failed to remove the 1 DTA off of the account, so time to call or go back to the office.

Will keep this updated.

Update 7/15/14:
Got the X1 DVR installed a few weeks ago. Its a great box - slick UI, fast, and it has a clock on the front. It records shows scheduled without a problem. The install tech agreed to check the signals, but they were even oddly low off of the tap - the tap is a General Instrument tap so that dates the plant to the 90's (time for a rebuild? I thought they already did rebuild it to 860mhz according to FCC documents???). I tried to get him to replace out mid-90s RG6 drop but he would not budge due to the low signal levels off of the tap.

The tech decided to put a PPC 2-way active return 5 port amp on the side of the house to "fix" the signals. Hooked the modem into it too. It did help reduce the power levels on the upstream, but it lowered the SNR on the downstream from 36db to 35db. Without this amp the modem would be seeing -7 to -9db off of the first 2 way splitter. Internet speeds are still perfect (28/5) and the modem runs cooler with the help of the Amp.

Now for my main complaints. The existing 90's house box was too small for the PPC amp, and the tech did not replace it. So, I had a ball of coax and an amp dangling outside of the box. Unacceptable. For now, I took a black trash bag and wrapped it around the box to protect it from water ingress (Yes, I did a Verizon and it felt so wrong).

Photos of this have been attached to my review.

Update 6/27/14:
In light of the recent changes to Comcast's offerings, I called to renegotiate the bill. First CSR was condescending, but she transfered me to Retentions. The man I spoke with actually listened to me, and made the changes I was requesting while lowering the bill from $128 to $110:

-Obtain X-1 DVR (Free for 1 year, no more HD fee, $10 after the promo).
-6month Free Promo of some movie channel (Showtime I think?) that should automatically remove itself off of the account
-Lower the rate as much as possible, cancel the unused SD Box.
-Keep same level of internet, phone (the additional $10 for Blast would have put us at the same price, and we are looking to save a little)

The CSR tried to get me to upgrade to one of the gateway modems, but I declined as I have a nice Asus RT-N66U. A Comcast tech is scheduled to come out next Wednesday to install the requisite MOCA filter and put in the X1 box. Hopefully he will do a signal level check, as the signal on the line is rather week (-8 to -10db).

While I would have liked to get the 105mbit Blast service, the 28mbit Performance is more than enough. Eventually that will get bumped to 50mbit, just need to wait it out.

I will keep this review updated in light of the changes upcoming.

Update 6/11/14:

First outage of Internet and Phone in a long time - about 3hrs. Service was restored ahead of schedule, as Comcast said it would not be fixed until the next morning.

Update 5/7/14:
Services are consistent and stable. No usage caps yet. VZ still has not delivered on its promise of FIOS 7 years ago, so Comcast is the only choice for modern fast broadband.
The upcoming speed increases should have already happened (28mbit to 50mbit) but Comcast is taking its time with the upgrades across the country.

Only Complaint with the Comcast service (besides terrible support) is the price.

Update 12/31/13:

Reached out to Netdog here on DSLR, shortly after that the problem was fixed. The speed tier is correct in Account Overview, and I am getting my 28mbit/5.8mbit again.
Dont bother with the 1-800 support for anything of a technical nature. They wont listen to you. We are lucky we have the Direct Support and access to Comcast employees here.

I like that service is back to normal before the new year.

Update 12/28/13:

Well, the good times cant last forever. Something went wrong with Comcasts provisioning system, sticking me on the Performance Starter tier when I am paying for Performance. So instead of getting 28/5.8, we are getting 7/5.8. This happened since I had to reset the modem for my router to get IPv6 going again....ASUS routers are picky temperamental things but that's not related to this review update.

Once I reset the modem and saw how slow the connection got, I logged into my account. Seeing that the tier was wrong in account overview, I thought why not call them? Its a simple problem, shouldnt take Direct Support here on DSLR to fix it.

NOPE.

The first person I spoke to tried to get me to go through the reset nonsense 5 times. I did it already before I called 5 times. He seemed to fail to understand it was a PROVISIONING issue, he thought it was an issue with my network. Only after repeating that the error is right in My Account 5 times did he transfer me to billing.

The problem? Billing was closed. He transferred me to a closed department!

Ok, so lets try the 24/7 online chat. Oh god was this a terrible 2 hour discussion. The first person was relatively helpful, and said its not a Billing issue, its an Internet issue....ok then, its probably a billing issue, but lets give it a shot.

The internet person was useless. Vauge replies to questions, scripted responses, and a failure to understand the nature of the problem after I explained it countless times.

The real gem after she apparently figured out the problem, 2 hours in (changed my name to my username here):

· Joylyn > I have checked the account and I can see here that your internet plan is performance. It is showing performance starter because your online account is still not updated. It will take time, in fact, some take months for the online account to be updated.

· Joylyn > Are you using a wireless router?

· Zenit > Hardwired.

· Zenit > Gigabit Ethernet.

· Zenit > The problem is not on my end - when I reset the modem, it picked up the wrong speed tier config, causing this issue.

· Joylyn > Thank you.

· Joylyn > I do appreciate your patience and effort. Thank you for going through all necessary troubleshooting steps with me. We have now determined that we need to send a technician to further investigate and fix the issue. As part of the Comcast Customer Guarantee we promise that our technicians will be equipped to resolve your issue on the first visit and arrive on time.

· Zenit > No, there is no problem with the line.

· Zenit > Its in the billing system. I can see it right in My Account.

· Zenit > I am a Computer Science student - the modem signal levels are the same as before, swapped out the routers, tried directly connecting to the modem, its a config file. A prem tech can do NOTHING to fix that.

· Zenit > Its up in the billing system/head end

· Zenit > It would be a waste of money for Comcast to send a tech only to find out "hey, its up higher. Cant do anything, sorry."

· Joylyn > My apologies for the inconvenience. Please be informed that I have already checked everything. The settings of the modem match with the internet package.

· Zenit > Performance should be over 25mbit in this market. My account is showing the WRONG package - Performance Starter, which is much less.

· Joylyn > The performance starter on your online account is no reliable since it is not yet updated.

Brilliant, yes? It could take MONTHS for my speed tier to be fixed. MONTHS! Then I expect months of steep discounts from Comcrap. If their billing system is that bad, they should compensate customers accordingly with a discount. They probably hired the lowest bidder to build the system.

This happened at the worst time too - my time off from College. I would have liked to have fast internet for re-downloading my Steam apps on my clean install of Windows, but Comcast says nope!

Its a shame the only helpful people I have encountered within Comcast Support are at the very highest levels, here in the direct support forum. Obviously not happy due to the time waste caused by the traditional support, and loosing what we have been paying for.

But what choice do I have? They are the Cable Company, they don't have to care. They have a nice monopoly thanks to VZ being lazy and 4G wow profit oriented rather than upgrading their ancient copper DSL, or building fiber out.

Update 12/4/13:
Comcast increased our speed 25% for free, according to our bill. After they removed PowerBoost some months ago, our speed dropped to 23mbit. Now its 29mbit/5.7mbit. We are pleased with the service, and if Comcast continues providing regular upgrades and keeps the service reliable, whenever FIOS comes (if) there will probably be even less incentive to switch.

Great job.

Not too happy with the upcoming TV rate hike of $2, and the EMTA rate hike of $1, but what can be done, go back to 3mbit DSL? HAHAHA. Not happening.
Update 10/12/13:

Negotiated with Comcast (thanks to Direct Support here), reduced monthly bill back to $125, with same tiers of service and equipment. We had our first true outage last night, from 11pm to the morning, where Internet, Phone, and TV went out in our town. Other than that, its been the same. 25mbit down, 5 up. We will be returning one of the cable boxes to get the bill down to $115.

Overall still happy.

Update 9/29/13:

Well, rate hikes! Our bill has gone up from $135 to $165. The rent for the TV equipment is unreasonable. 1 standard HD box, 1 DCT700 SD box, and 2 DTAs is costing $25!

$165 for Performance, and the plain package of Digital TV is way too high. I know people who are getting Blast and DVRs at this price point. (Wait until they get their hikes!)

Time to negotiate with Comcast...

Dropping the value for the money rating, for the time being.

Update 7/10/13:

Still with the same service. Comcast recently changed the bandwith limit so our Performance package is a consistent 22Mbit down, 4.5Mbit up, down from 25mbit down. The quality of the connection is fine - decent latency and no slowdowns at peak times. The Digital Voice is reliable and has excellent clarity.

Verizon has begun to construct FIOS here, they will probably skip over most of the town, which means Comcast will continue to get our money. If FIOS becomes available in our subdivision, we will probably switch - that depends on VZ making an equivalent deal or better.

I noticed Comcast's newer promotions include a DVR at our price level. As usual, new customers get better deals than existing.

Update 4/14/13:

Still with the same services, no issues have arisen. Comcast renewed our promotional pricing, so we continue to pay $125 + rental fees for the TV boxes. They have started charging for the SD boxes, so we will be returning those. Comcast TV really is not competitive.

The Internet service has improved with time, with the removal of PowerBoost the speeds are a steady 2.5MB/sec down, 4mbit up. Seems that peering agreements have also improved. The IPv6 deployment has been completed in our area.

Nothing has changed with the phone - works as it should.

Now for the (minor) issues:

Billing has issues from time to time, dropping autopay and resulting in late bills.
TV Services are expensive, not too good channel selection, overpriced equipment rental.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------Origi nal Review------------------------------------------
Well, lets start of with the positive. The connection has been very fast and reliable. The Performance tier delivers a consistent speed of 1.8MB/sec, with powerboost it comes out to 2.4-2.8MB/sec. Upload is a steady 4mbit/sec. DOCSIS3 has practically eliminated the problem of congestion. Latency is generally low, however there have been some times of poor routing - this gets resolved (Poor Peering arrangements). Our previous ISP was Verizon, on their aging DSL. The 3mb/sec DSL was perfectly reliable, which is not a small miracle considering how VZ has abandoned their copper plant. The Comcast provided line is so much faster than the old DSL line - I don't look back at all.

The Phone service has worked fine, no complaints.

The TV product is aging. Comcast LOVES rental fees, and other fees. Why cant we buy our equipment outright like the rest of the world? The only reason we don't have a DVR is cost - its astronomical at $17 a month. Standard HD box is $9 a month. Additional SD box? $5 on your bill. The program guide is the same old Motorola system from 1999, very few changes. The Comcast Universal Remote is horrible compared to the DirecTV remote due to some odd glitches. (Turns on devices 1-by-1 rather than sending the signal all at once, a problem if you put down the remote too soon!) The only positive? The TV has been insanely reliable, never going out in the 1 year of service we have had.

Billing issues have been a constant pain, nearly monthly something gets screwed up (i.e DVR fee when we dont have a DVR, Package Price changing out of the blue, rental fee increases for no reason). Don't bother with Comcast's standard support - they are useless. Use the direct forum here.

Installation was a pain also. First tech was a contractor, refused to run RG6 to our Office upstairs and instead put the EMTA/Gateway in the living room far away from the hardwired PCs. (Brilliant) Second tech comes out (actual Comcast employee) and runs the RG6 in 15 minutes. He also replaces the Gateway with a standard EMTA (Arris 722G) at my request. This should not had required 2 Tech visits.

Overall? Internet is fantastic, Phone just works, and the TV product is aging in the modern era, an expensive core product. Just good luck with Support!

member for 2.4 years, 692 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Comcast crap

@50.172.65.x

Comcast is crap

Comcast is the worst ever,never had to deal with such a bunch of morons in my life ,no communication within the company ,service is crap!,do yourself a favor don't ever get comcast anything

mzpammie56

@69.254.217.x

Billing issue

In April, I became a subscriber. Received bill. Many excess charges. contacted customer service for help. Talked with a rep who informed me that adjustments would be made. A new bill would be sent out in a couple of days.

By the way I was told the conversation would be recorded.It wasn't. I was given assurance that a new bill would reflect the changes.

On May 7, a new bill did arrive. Showing no adjustments. Same Amount for April. However May bill is only $75.17. Maybe this is reflecting adjustments. Then I called to speak with a rep about previous bill and she promptly informed me that no adjustment had been made. There was no record of my conversation with a CSR in April.

I spent about 30 minutes attempting to solve the issue for previous months bill all to no avail.believe me I know that the rep is only following rules, but why do they give false information. If the first guy couldn't make the necessary adjustments why not just say so.

I intended to discontinue the internet service in April after being given misleading information. The rep assured me that it would be straightened out and a new bill sent out. prompting me to keep the internet. Had I known it would only get higher, trust me, I would have ended this service sooner.

therefore, subscribers beware! That's all I got to say about that.Looking for a trustworthy internet service. where integrity still reigns.

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon Online DSL

Re: Billing issue

I know your a guest...but try to get a hold of Direct Support here. Sign up for a DSLReports account.

Direct Support is the only way to get any help from Comcast. They are terrible indeed, but when my only alternative is 3mbit DSL from another bunch of lying crooks (Verizon) what can I do? :/
'
Most of these ISPs in the USA dont have any integrity, their only concern is how much money they can make. Keep that in mind.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage
Check with you state laws.. Here in AZ.. It's a one party notification when it comes to recording phone calls.. I'm the only party that needs to be notified when I'm recording myself talking to lawyers, insurance companies, and other shady people like cable companies.

A lot of states are one party notification.

Review by infantrybevr See Profile

• Location: Fresno,Fresno,CA

internets been this slow for 2 days now »www.speedtest.net/result/3842731378.png horrible service in general

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:
JohnShade

join:2009-03-07
Pearland, TX

RE: Internet speeds.

Have you posted to the Comcast Direct Forum?