Review by Zenit See Profile

• Location: Purcellville,Loudoun,VA
Good "Fast & Reliable Connection, Good Digital Voice, X1 DVR has a slick UI"
Bad "Technical Support & Billing is beyond helpless. Any time your on the phone w CC expect 2+hrs of run around"
Overall "What choice? Comcast is the only provider offering 21st century speeds for anyone stuck in a VZ Non-FIOS area. "

Update 1/26/15:
Installation of the CMTS has been delayed, ongoing congestion still. My T-Mobile LTE is more consistent. Dinging the reliability score until its fixed.

Update 1/14/15:
Comcast is aware of the ongoing congestion problem (confirmed by netcool). New CMTS should be installed by the end of the month. Connection is congested most of the day now - speeds range from 2mbps to the full 28mbps, never consistent.

Update 12/27/14:
Over December there has been some reoccurring congestion problems with the internet service that appears randomly, but always in the late afternoon stretching into the night. During these periods the downstream ends up at DSL-like speeds, if not less at times. It goes away promptly in the morning and sometimes does not happen for a few days, and then comes back. There has also been various outages of the X1 platform and TV service over the past two months, and we experienced the longest outage in a very long time (1hr) of Internet, Voice, and TV in December.

Quality seems to be slipping - I will not adjust my overall ranking of the service yet as the problems must be troubleshooted first. A tech needs to get out here and get to the bottom of the low signal levels at the tap. I also probably need to upgrade to an 8x4 EMTA as the recent upgrade of Blast to 105mbps may be resulting in downstream channel congestion which is made more apparent by a 4x4 EMTA.

Approximate uptime since I installed my RIPE ATLAS probe on the 3rd of December is 99.76% - some of the outage time was me resetting the modem or router to troubleshoot slow speeds, but most of the penalty was that hour outage.

99.76% is a far cry from the Bell System standard of 99.9999% uptime which nobody seems to strive for in the modern era.

-Main Review-
We have had service for quite a while now (since 2011).

Package: "Starter XF Triple Play" - Performance Internet, Unlimited phone, 200something channels of HDTV.
Negotiated Details: HD Fee no longer assessed, free DVR.
Equipment: Arris TM722G (Leased, original from 2011), X1 DVR (installed July 2014, replaced plain Moto HD box) - Total Cost is $8.

Reliability has been very good, service outages have been very rare and only last for short periods of time. The longest outage was in the middle of the night but resolved before the next morning. Speeds are consistent - over the past years Comcast has increased the speed of Performance from 25mbps down to 30mbps down in this market. Digital Voice works well and has voice quality as clear as a POTS line. The added bonus Xfinity Connect app for iPhone or Android lets you take your landline with you anywhere, and use it or a second freebie number anywhere (great if there is no reception but wifi is available).

TV service is fine. Some channels have obviously better HD picture quality than others, it comes down to the amount of compression. The X1 DVR is the star of the TV product and its a nice DVR, very slick GUI, the automatic recording features and program search functionality work flawlessly. Note - we do not use the whole home functionality, only one cable box in this house.

Now, the problem with Comcast's service is entirely with Corporate. Support and Billing lack training and do not put the customer first - you will spend hours on the phone for a minor issue, and chances are the CSR will just screw up more than they will fix. The only people with real power to resolve billing issues seems to be the Retention department. Calling Retentions is the only way to keep the promotional rate.

As an example of how customer hostile Comcast's CSRs can be, I give you this gem of a quote:
"I'm sorry but promotions are intended as an incentive to allow new customers to experience the Comcast service for the first time and not intended as lifelong service reductions. It is our deepest hope that once the value of the Comcast service is experienced, the services that other companies offer will be less desirable."

...your service would be a hell of a lot less desirable if Verizon actually bothered to build out FTTP as they are legally required by franchise here, Mr. All-knowing Comcast agent. You have me by the balls for anything faster than 3mbit, this is not a pleasant experience. I would not be chasing promotional rates if you offered your services at a decent price! Your promotional rate SHOULD be the price, period. They offered me 3mbit for $99. I laughed.

Moral of the story: Totally ignore web chat support. Ignore phone support beyond the retentions department. I miss direct support here on DSLR very much, it was a massive error of Comcast to end it. That was the only place you could get actual help. Today? No more.

Techs - Contractors are absolutely useless. Every one I have encountered seeks to do the minimum amount of work to label the job as completed. Our initial install in 2011 was done by a Contractor and was totally unimpressive. He refused to run a quick line into the upstairs office as it would take "too much time" (negotiated at ordering time). As a result, he left the gateway modem in the living room far away from the ethernet-only PC's.

I ended up using a long coax cord to get the modem into the office, and I found out what a pile of junk the SMC gateway was. Called for a 2nd tech to come and complete the install. The 2nd tech was a Comcast in-house tech whom has been with them since the Adelphia->Comcast transition. He was great, ran the line to the office through the attic in 20 minutes, and supplied me with the Arris TM722G EMTA which has not failed after terabytes of data have been pushed through it.
The X1 Install tech (also in-house) did a good job as well, and was friendly. I could tell he was in a time crunch, as he could not replace the undersized house box with a larger one. So I ended up pulling a Verizon and placing a trash bag over it to protect the amp.

It is clear that Comcast specifies rapid job completion over neatness of work - this is a problem that they should seek to resolve. A little bit more time allocated to the techs will make a world of a difference.

Conclusion:

The service works. The HSI quality is above average and makes DSL look ancient. Their support is torture.
They are my only real choice and they know it.

member for 2.7 years, 857 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Comcast crap

@50.172.65.x

Comcast is crap

Comcast is the worst ever,never had to deal with such a bunch of morons in my life ,no communication within the company ,service is crap!,do yourself a favor don't ever get comcast anything

mzpammie56

@69.254.217.x

Billing issue

In April, I became a subscriber. Received bill. Many excess charges. contacted customer service for help. Talked with a rep who informed me that adjustments would be made. A new bill would be sent out in a couple of days.

By the way I was told the conversation would be recorded.It wasn't. I was given assurance that a new bill would reflect the changes.

On May 7, a new bill did arrive. Showing no adjustments. Same Amount for April. However May bill is only $75.17. Maybe this is reflecting adjustments. Then I called to speak with a rep about previous bill and she promptly informed me that no adjustment had been made. There was no record of my conversation with a CSR in April.

I spent about 30 minutes attempting to solve the issue for previous months bill all to no avail.believe me I know that the rep is only following rules, but why do they give false information. If the first guy couldn't make the necessary adjustments why not just say so.

I intended to discontinue the internet service in April after being given misleading information. The rep assured me that it would be straightened out and a new bill sent out. prompting me to keep the internet. Had I known it would only get higher, trust me, I would have ended this service sooner.

therefore, subscribers beware! That's all I got to say about that.Looking for a trustworthy internet service. where integrity still reigns.

Re: Billing issue

I know your a guest...but try to get a hold of Direct Support here. Sign up for a DSLReports account.

Direct Support is the only way to get any help from Comcast. They are terrible indeed, but when my only alternative is 3mbit DSL from another bunch of lying crooks (Verizon) what can I do? :/
'
Most of these ISPs in the USA dont have any integrity, their only concern is how much money they can make. Keep that in mind.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage
Check with you state laws.. Here in AZ.. It's a one party notification when it comes to recording phone calls.. I'm the only party that needs to be notified when I'm recording myself talking to lawyers, insurance companies, and other shady people like cable companies.

A lot of states are one party notification.
wmdwhitt

join:2006-11-27
Woodbridge, VA

Customers should know that isn't how it is supposed to look.

You should know a cable box shouldn't look like that. You as the customer have to hold the tech's and company's feet to the fire. If you are not happy with service, escalate it. Comcast will send tech's out.

·Verizon Online DSL

Re: Customers should know that isn't how it is supposed to look.

I am aware that its very sloppy work, hence the jokes in the review directed at Verizon for using trash bags to "repair" their ancient copper network that they have lovingly abandoned. (I am the one who put the trash bag up, as the box was literally dangling open)

The reason I have not bothered to complain to Comcast is that its now much more difficult to even deal with them than it was in the past. Direct Support is gone. Even minor billing things take hours on the phone to get resolved.

The company has a very major support problem that they have done too little to resolve, but being a monopoly in many places they don't care.

I just don't have the time to bother sitting around all day for a Comcast tech to put a new house box up (or show up and say its fine)...so I will do it myself whenever I get around to it. There are plenty of sites selling the larger boxes for about $19 which is reasonable.

Review by wchillman See Profile

• Location: Gig Harbor,Pierce,WA
Good "Performance Starter is all that a cord-cutter needs."
Bad "In any case, it still feels like extortion."
Overall "Reclassify ISPs under Title II as common carriers so that the FCC can regulate the rates charged by ISPs."

The most common complaints in the Comcast forums fall into three areas: overpriced plans, continual price increases, and poor customer service. Our way to deal with these complaints is to apply the KISS principle and follow three essential cardinal rules:

1. NEVER bundle

2. AVOID all TV packages

3. MINIMIZE contact with the company

By keeping things this simple, it is nearly impossible for Comcast to pull any monkey business. This may sound counterintuitive but we now get GREAT ENTERTAINMENT AS WELL AS INTERNET for LESS THAN 50 BUCKS A MONTH with no junk fees! Not only that, we watch it in high definition without renting any Comcast cable box or paying any silly HD Technology Fee or Broadcast TV Fee! It really affords a value proposition that Comcast just can’t match. Read on if you are interested.

You may not know this but in 2012, Comcast was ordered by the FCC to offer a stand-alone broadband service with a download speed of at least 6 mbps at a price no greater than $49.95 per month. This order was extended to February 21, 2015 and the speed tier is called Performance Starter. As recent retirees on a fixed income, we opted for this service as the monthly charge is fixed at $49.95 with no other taxes, charges or fees. That’s right: a fixed price with no surprise increases in your bill and no added junk fees. THIS, BY THE WAY, IS A RARITY FOR COMCAST. Nonetheless, it still feels like extortion but that is a conversation for another day. So, we only have Comcast’s Performance Starter internet service with NO subscription to Xfinity TV, Voice, or Home, NO Bundle, NO Comcast Cable Box, and NO Contract. Here’s a list of JUNK FEES WE DON’T PAY and you can avoid them too:

• HD DVR Rental and Service Fees • HD Technology Fees • Digital Adaptor Fees • Digital Outlet Fees • Digital Access Fees • Additional Outlet Fees • Anyroom DVR Service Fees • Broadcast TV Fees • Sports Entertainment Fees • Blast or Boost Fees • Converter Fees • Premium Channel Fees • On Demand Fees • Pay-Per-View Fees • Streampix Fees • CableCard Fees • Remote Control Fees • Regulatory Recovery Fees • FCC Fees • CHSI Transfer/Restart Fees • PEG Access Fees • I-Net Fees • Public Access Fees • Network Support Fees • City Amusement Fees • Franchise Fees • State Assessment Fees • Convenience Fees • Electronic Change Fees • Electronic Charge Fees • Transaction Fees • Enrollment Fees • Reactivation Fees • Early Termination Fees • Protection Plan Fees • Rights of Way Use Fees • Voice/Data Modem Rental Fees • Wireless Gateway Fees • State Cost Recovery Charges • State, City, & County Sales Tax • Universal Connectivity Charges • Federal Excise Taxes • Gross Receipts Taxes • Utility or Communications Services Taxes

As you can see, Comcast will nickel and dime you to death. The more you bundle, the more Comcast will tack these fees onto you bill. Not only did we want to avoid paying these junk fees but we were really sick of paying triple-digit monthly bills as well as suffering through commercials that were taking up nearly 1/3 of every viewing hour. We now stream video over the internet using Comcast’s Performance Starter. Using Comcast as a dumb pipe turns out to be the most cost effective way of utilizing their service. It allows us a FAR SUPERIOR VIEWING EXPERIENCE than we ever had with Comcast TV at a fraction of what we paid in the past. As cord-cutters, we use a streaming device (Roku, Apple TV, Google’s Chromecast, and Amazon’s Fire Stick are the more popular ones) for all of our TV viewing including news, TV shows, and movies as well as music. These streaming devices render Comcast’s Cable Box obsolete as well as their TV offerings and I have fond memories dumping off their box at our local Comcast service center – much to their displeasure. The news we watch now is far better than anything we ever had on Comcast TV and, thanks to Netflix, YouTube, as well as Amazon (which recently added older HBO shows to their streaming catalog), we can now watch commercial-free TV and movies. I should say, however, that it took some time adjusting to watching in this way as we had been so conditioned to think that it really wasn’t “TV” unless you are continually bombarded by commercials. If you cannot do without basic network TV, you could install an OTA antenna and possibly get many HD channels for free depending on your position relative to the broadcast towers. Even though we receive basic network TV for free, we never watch it mostly because of the commercials (it’s been years since we’ve watched any) but also because the streaming alternatives are just far superior. It’s certainly a welcome change now for us to be able to watch what we want, when we want, where we want, on our TV or whatever other device we want, rather being constrained by Comcast’s TV schedule and limited by their offerings. We used to watch Comcast’s On Demand movies but when we cross-checked them against IMDb, we found that they rated quite poorly, whereas Netflix and Amazon have amazing catalogs of great content. Although Comcast recently suspended their 250 monthly GB bandwidth cap, they are raising it to 300 GB/month in selected service areas. We watch a ton of HD TV and rarely go over 200 GB/month but I should say that we are a hardwired single video stream household. While it doesn’t affect us, if you are running multiple video streams simultaneously within your household, you could experience some congestion and you might be subject to a $10 charge for every 50 GB you exceed the 300 GB cap. Essentially, this is just a money grab by Comcast but even with any overages this may still cost less than Comcast’s standard offerings. Also, NEVER EVER rent a cable modem from Comcast if you can avoid it. Purchasing one can pay for itself in less than a year. Last but not least, if you have a bundle that includes Xfinity Voice, try Republic Wireless for your phone and drop Xfinity Voice as well as your landline. Republic Wireless’s smartphone is really worth considering, particularly if you feel you are also being fleeced by Big Cell.

In the past when we bundled services, it was easy for Comcast to bamboozle us with their underhanded pricing shenanigans but not anymore. Bundling Comcast services, it turns out, is probably not in your best interest particularly when you consider other options like the one I mentioned above. We found Comcast’s Performance Starter single play to be a simple way to lower your bill, improve your viewing experience, and manage the cost of their service. It is really like a double play (since you can get TV entertainment as well as internet) but you only pay for a single play and it is not just for new subscribers – everyone is eligible! By using a streaming device with Comcast’s Performance Starter it is quite easy to drop Comcast TV with its obnoxious commercials and ridiculous pricing. Comcast, however, will do just about anything to keep you from reducing your services. Initially, they will tell you that Performance Starter is not fast enough to stream video in HD but don’t believe them - it is more than adequate for all our HD viewing as well as VoIP and internet use. Next, they will try to upsell you with a temporary offer for superfluous overpriced services but don’t fall for it - you will just be shell-shocked when the prices revert back to normal. Comcast’s latest scheme is to say that internet alone would cost more than internet and TV together. Be extremely wary of this ploy as you need to factor in ALL APPLICABLE JUNK FEES noted above in order to really determine if it is, in fact, a better deal. I’d also be leery of Comcast’s VISA gift card sales tactic as there are a ton of complaints about it in the forums. Lastly, they may even send you to their retention department to dissuade you from changing your service plan but just stand firm and insist on Performance Starter and NOTHING MORE. We automatically pay the bill each month with our credit card and so rarely need to contact the company (it’s been years). This makes life easier as reports in the Comcast forum indicate that customer service is an absolute nightmare. Once you have completed this change, Comcast will step-up their sales calls with offers to entice you to add your services back but just ignore them. If your household is similar to ours or you are not a power user, why overspend on internet service? Is it just for bragging rights? Certainly, you could consider a promotion that bests this price but only a fool would pay Comcast more money than they need to. All of this is really not that hard to implement or acclimate to and will pay off in spades.

Lastly, maybe we could get better prices and speeds if the U.S. Department of Justice initiated an antitrust lawsuit and broke up this monopoly like they did against AT&T in the 1970's or at least reclassify them under Title II as a common carrier as then the FCC can order ISPs to lease their internet lines to other companies, thus increasing competition.

member for 3.1 years, 700 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

jlatimer

@comcast.net

Competition is necessary

While I agree that competition is necessary, Comcast is not at fault in this regard. Building and maintaining the infrastructure necessary to support telecommunications is not cheap, if it were, you would see a lot more competition out there. Just like you don't see car manufacturers popping up every day, you don't see telecom providers popping up.

If you want to see more competition start at the source, the manufacturers of fiber and network communication equipment, and the content owners such as ESPN and others charging an arm and a leg for their service and requiring it to be on basic tiers of service.

Re: Competition is necessary

I overpay these clowns for sub-par speeds while the executives collect their multi-million dollar salaries. Comcast in particular and the cable monopoly in general is at fault. Here is the solution:

»billmoyers.com/segment/susan-cra···-unfair/
Beck38

join:2014-05-12
Mukilteo, WA

Look to the East (in Washington State)

PUD (Public Utility District) built fiber, with multiple TV/Phone/Internet providers (gee, sounds like what the FCC originally tried to do with telco years back) is going gangbusters in eastern Washington State. Speeds to Gigabit, no caps, pricing half or better than either Comcast OR Frontier FIOS, and with regulated electric rates 1/3rd that of us in the 'western' half (no Enron and FERC controlling it there) and no hyper-inflated housing market on top of all that.

I'm out as soon as I can get all the ducks in order (sell the house, etc), but I'm retired so have the option.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
·DIRECTV

Tell the FCC

said by wchillman:

"We need to reclassify them as a common carrier."

quote:
The FCC has asked for public comment on new rules about net neutrality.
Use this form to submit a comment to the FCC - »dearfcc.org/

Eastern Washington State

Beck 38 - You are absolutely right! The 509 is the way to go. Spokane electric rates and communications are still similar to Seattle, but Central Washington has got it all. The Grand Coulee dam (one of the biggest hydroelectric generation stations in the world) is bordered on both Grant and Douglas counties. The Grand Coulee along with many other dams are owned by the utilities themselves, which enables them to provide cheap power, as they do not need to go through the federal government. Google and Yahoo have migrated there for their server farms, bringing the speed along with them.

Across the Columbia from East Wenatchee - Chelan County - has their own fiber - to - house lines. Unlike 'FIOS', these are NOT owned by a corporation - but the power company, meaning you have the freedom to choose any provider you want.

My friend has Local Tel - Probably the most efficient, well priced, and awesome broadband provider I've seen. The internet is run straight Ethernet to the ONT, it uses PPPoE so make sure you keep your login and password if you need to configure your router. The phone is connected like a regular POTS directly to the ONT. And finally, the TV coax is not used by 'cable modems' like FIOS, allowing STELLAR quality TV, and, since the ONT is addressed not the box, many channels can be received with the TV's built-in tuner, allowing a much less cluttered entertainment system. Long live LocalTel!
Beck38

join:2014-05-12
Mukilteo, WA

Re: Eastern Washington State

said by filter4ever:

Actually, no, the Grand Coulee is a Federal Dam, part of the BPA (Bonneville Power Administration). Those county PUD's in eastern Washington actually DO own their own dams (for instance, Chelan PUD owns Rocky Reach as well as another I don't recall off the top of my head) which is why they are so low.

Other PUD's in Wash. St. that rely on the BPA too much (Snohomish is a good example which gets 90% of it's power from the BPA) are at the beck and call of Enron (and which initiated the original investigations of Enron) . Seattle City Light also owns a sizable part of it's own generating capacity, most notably the Boundary Dam on the Pend Oreille River in northeastern Washington state.

But it all comes down to FERC, which is packed with Republicans and which refuses to go after the Enron contracts.

Comcast / XFinity Troubleshooting

As this is a rather long post, many of the following procedures are in-depth and require some technical knowledge and tools - proceed at your own risk!

As a 10 year customer, I know Comcast is one of the best services you can get, in terms of speed, latency, technology, and quality of service. I do not watch much TV, and have a Cell phone, but their internet is second only to LocalTel - a small internet provider in Wenatchee, WA and central Washington over PUD owned fiber lines.

I do however, have extensive knowledge of how their system works, and how to troubleshoot it. I am neutral as I am not a sales person trying to push service, I am only telling my experience.

Now a days, Comcast is mostly doing SIK (Self Install Kits), where you simply plug in the equipment. They will even ship the equipment out to you, which makes it convenient. Without a tech though, you, and the rep on the phone, have no way of knowing whether there is even cable signal to the house, or if the cable there is from 1983 when CATV was first deployed in your area. At that time they never dreamed of Internet and hence did not design the system for such services. I have seen friends that were trying to hook up cable, and there wasn't even cable going to the outlet they were trying to hook up.

Remember, the service will only work if it is installed RIGHT. I will tell you a few tips on how to troubleshoot your own cable, so you can have the service that you pay for.

If your TV breaks up into little squares, this is caused by interference, or ingress. This is the root of many problems with all 3 services, TV, Internet, and Telephone.

First, turn the box off and press "OK", this will bring you to a blue menu. Check the "OOB", make sure SNR is 'GOOD' (over 20dB). Next check "Inband Status" - This will show the quality of the channel you are on. Make sure the SNR is 'GOOD' (over 34 and not many errors), and "Upstream Status" - make sure it's not over 60dB. If OnDemand doesn't work, check "Interactive Status", make sure it has an IP address. If it does not, wait a few minutes.

If these are all 'OK', call Comcast (1-800-Comcast), and tell them to send a 'HIT' to your box. If you aren't even getting the guide, ask for an 'INT HIT', which will refresh the EEPROM on the box.

If you aren't getting anything at all, there is most likely no connection between the box and the tap (up on the pole or in the ground). Check the cable going to the wall make sure it's not of low quality and loose. If it's not, take the plate off (if you can, on most internally wired houses. Externally you cant). Often somewhere you will find a 'crappy looking' connection. There's your problem. If there is nothing connected to it at all, well, there's your problem. If there is a bad connection or no cable, call for a tech install and tell them what's wrong.

This work CAN be done yourself, but you need special strippers, crimpers, and fittings. Make sure they are of the COMPRESSION type and the splitters are rated at 1GHz. Also, make sure the cable you use is of the RG-6 type, and the fittings are put on properly (there should be no braid hanging out of the back, and the white (dielectric) should be FLUSH with the front of the fitting. Look up how to put a fitting on Google should be of some help. Make sure that you do not split one signal of another, off another (daisy chain). This will degrade the signal by half every time you split. If you are prewiring your house for remodel, consider putting in a Leviton 'Smart Panel', running all your outlets to a central location and splitting/amplifying them there. Above all, DO NOT splice a cable behind drywall where it cannot be accessed. This will make it impossible for a Comcast tech or yourself to troubleshoot in the future.

For internet problems, the number one problem is your router not receiving the correct IP address, most likely due to activation on a wired computer and then plugging in a WiFi router. Remember to unplug the cable modem, plug it back in, wait for it to synchronize (Power, Downstream, Upstream, and Online lights all solid).

For other signal problems such as getting kicked up randomly and slow service, make sure your modem is hooked up and go to »192.168.100.1 and go to 'Signal'. Look at the 'Downstream Status' - should be between -10dB and 10dB. Next 'Upstream Status' - should be between 20 and 54dB. Finally, look at the downstream 'SNR', this should be 33dB and above. The best speed test for the internet I use is »www.speedtest.net.

The main problems I've seen with a phone is when you plug a fax machine in, line 1 is shorted to line 2. Make sure to use a cable that has only 2 gold contacts (1 pair) to connect to the EMTA. Other than that, the problems with the telephone are with the same equipment as the internet.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of miscommunication between the customer and the rep which causes a lot of negative feelings towards Comcast. If you need any work done, such as a 'drop' (line from the street to your house) run, additional outlets installed, through a brick house etc. make sure you provide the rep with as much details as possible, as they schedule the amount of time the tech has with you based on what you order. After that allotted slot, he/she will have another job in the same slot (8-10 AM for example). It is also usually one person who comes out, unless they can get help from other techs on a large job or one that requires special equipment.

I do not watch TV, only the local channels. If you are getting internet, I recommend getting "Limited Cable" along with it (if you are not getting phone), as you get a $10 discount for having multiple services, so the net cost is about $5/mo with the box and all that.

Their internet is very fast, as they have their own "backbone" which minimizes latency (i.e. if you do a tracert, you will see it hop through Comcast's network to the least busy node and to Google, etc). The download and upload speeds in my area are excellent, 25 MBPS down and 6MBPS up. No other service, DSL or other, can get closer than 1/4 that speed.

Their telephone service is of excellent quality, I know because I hooked up a dial-up modem to CDV and it locked at 52.6KBPS (The maximum allowable dial-up speed), over VOIP.

Hopefully this will help many perplexed customers, some procedures will require tech-savvy knowledge. I am not affiliated with Comcast, and am not responsible for anything that may arise. If in doubt call Comcast and provide them with as much as you know, is my best advice.

Re: Comcast / XFinity Troubleshooting

A couple things I forgot to mention. When hooking up a router: unplug the cable modem first (from power, plug the Ethernet to the router in, plug the cable modem power back in with the Coax and Ethernet connected), wait for all 4 lights to be solid, and then plug in your router. If you have phone, there is a little hole on the back of the EMTA (combo VOIP modem) that says "RESET". If you plug in the router without resetting, it will get the 192.xxx.xxx.xxx private IP from the offline modem, and you will not be able to get online.

If the modem gets stuck at the "Upstream" light, chances are there is a filter on the line that they used to put on in order to keep noise from entering the network. If you find one around on your line, it needs to be removed. If you are not receiving all your channels there also may be a filter on the line. You may find one around your house but chances are they will be on the pole or lockbox. However, there is another type of filter that is used if you have an Anyroom or MoCa DVR. Call Comcast and have them swing by and take it off. This is an easy fix and will save you the trouble of having to stay home for service, and you may not even have to pay a fee.

Finally, I recommend purchasing your own modem or EMTA. Look under »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net for compatible equipment. In my area the rental fees are $8/mo (for a modem) plus tax. A $100 modem will pay for itself in a year. An EMTA costs around $160. These are very particular, make sure you get the compatible model number.

adiletante

@98.232.225.x

Performance Starter

I can't find anything about this locally (Oregon) -- is this still in effect. PS Comcast is the only game in town for high speed internet.

Re: Performance Starter

Comcast is the only viable option for high speed internet in our area too (Gig Harbor, WA). The FCC has required them to provide this 6/1 internet tier (Performance Starter) in ALL markets at a price point no greater than $49.95/month. If you can do better on a promotion, then you might want to consider that. They ABSOLUTELY have to provide it in Oregon too.
KevTech
join:2002-08-22

Re: Performance Starter

I am not on any promotion and only pay 53.95 for performance 50/5.

You are paying 49.95 for 6/1.

I have always had my own modems going back to 1999.

I have no dvr rental fees or HD tech fee as I have a Tivo Premiere XL4.

Re: Performance Starter

Thanks for responding, KevTech. When I looked this up in our area, it did say Performance internet [50 down] for $53.95 but it "Requires subscription to Xfinity TV or Voice", neither of which I am interested in. So, I'm assuming that you also have a subscription to either Xfinity TV or Voice (or both) at a substantially higher price than the one you quote. The "standalone " price of Performance internet in our area is $66.95. Now, since Performance Starter @6/1 is sufficient to stream video in HD, what's the point in paying more for internet?

Review by political_i See Profile

• Location: Bremerton,Kitsap,WA
Good "Consistent speed, good tech support when needed, efficient tech visit"
Bad "Pricey, HD service stinks"

·Charter
We have been with Comcast since the good old days of 3 mbps cable Internet was available. We have stuck with a package of Digital Starter with 2 HD boxes and 1 regular converter and Performance Internet which performs at 15/2 instead of the advertised 20/4. The main issue we have had is the HD was good back in the summer, but now it is beginning to pixelate again and we are considering switching to DirecTV due to their crystal clear HD. While service has been consistent, the bill continues to climb due to the lack of competition in the marketplace. I am not sure given our house was wired in the 1960s if that is playing a part in our cable not doing so well for TV. In the next few months, negotiations will probably occur to negotiate a better price.

7/20/14: We had our modem go down last night. Tried a roll and reprovision a few times, didn't help. Had a tech the next morning swap it for a good one and a new remote. Will probably try to negotiate a credit since it was a rented modem. Tech checked the line, was able to acquire signals, just swapped modem. Double checked the inside splitter. Swapped a remote too.

1/2/15: With the rumor of the modem rental fee going up to $10/mo we decided to buy our own. At the office, we got a weird look because we had the PFL Internet service with additional IP. She put us on a promotional deal for the next 12 months which includes Streampix and HBO. Found out next bill still charging for additional IP. Love the 50 meg speeds though.

member for 1.2 years, 358 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

I_Got_Tazed

join:2014-03-18
Freeport, IL

my comcast likes dislikes and history

i have been with Comcast forever two

unlike dish and other bashing commercials they haven't raised what we get charged all that much from the start

there modems and speed rock solid

the new internet phone clear and reliable

but when the switch from old grey box to the black box with bigger hard drive

our recordings acted up playback fast forward all that

did the same with pause but wasn't a horrible throw you out issue

they always nice tried to help sent tecs

now we became guinea pigs for the x series boxes

positive crap i have yet to have a recording and watch at same time conflict

and my wife has it packed full or scheduled recordings

like most new it has glitches

it has a familer fast rewind problems

and there getting it better in the beginning it would lock up on music choice a heck of a time getting out of it

but they are always upgrading the firmware and seems to be getting better with each of them

i like dish channel line up more dish its all channels sorry sports fans i hate sports

and i hate a company forcing me to have them and taking all my channels up with them

and since before the x series customer service has gone down the toilet

call 10 times get ten answers get offers that are wrong etc it got so bad i had a cooperate connection i always had to bother

last i tried home security wow to much to post of horrible install etc

then to find out the camera i just got is useless i dont have a monitor to watch i told them i wanted

there security web site is made by a toddler

you can only record every 5 min yes it waits five mins in between recording

and like 15 sec so you get car car gone magic

hey my wife is getting out theres car wife gone

a joke thats not security thats cops laughing at us

i tried 100 programs to take control Comcast wont allow

thats the last issue i was told yea i get rid of Comcast it will work uhh it needs a hub its impossible to put recording software on it

just avoid home security a example of Comcast moving to fast

positive

Review by Master Wolfe See Profile

• Location: Panama City,Bay,FL
Good "You do get quite a bit for your money"
Bad "Customer service is spotty"
Overall "Overall, Satisfied"

Jan. 22, 2015

I don't even recall when I wrote my previous review. I didn't stay gone long. The other option here is WOW (still Knology at that time), and they make Comcast look like the best possible choice.

Overall, I have been happy. Customer service is still spotty and frustrating, but services are good. I have a single channel which has audio issues, and Comcast and the station blame each other. I currently have the HD Premier Triple Play for $159, which includes all the premium channels but TMC, Sports Entertainment Add-on, Extreme 105/20 Internet, and phone. My current gateway, Technicolor TC8305C, is a POS, and I've had issues with getting it traded for something else. A chat CSR said she was sending me a Cisco Gateway III, and instead I received TWO other gateways, one the same as my current, and another older one. For that, I was charged two shipping fees of $9.95, and the phone CSR refused to remove but one. So there it is. Don't deal with customer service, and you'll be happy.

================================================

Update: Wow, because the woman did not close my account properly, I got another bill claiming money was still owed. I emailed the rep who was supposed to be resolving this issue, and she (hopefully!) finally got it closed and cleared. I'm extremely disappointed with my last couple of months experience with Comcast customer service. Up until this period, I had no real problems, but sadly, the phrase "what have you done for me lately" comes to mind.

=================================================

Some frustrations lately with customer service and the discovery that my 1 year price was about to expire finally pushed me away. The disconnect between online reps and local reps can be EXTREMELY frustrating. And when I replaced my rented modem, I had some issues with the first device I bought. The lady whom I was speaking to on the phone was going on GOOGLE to try and figure out how to help me! The woman didn't have a clue, I don't know if I got shunted to the wrong department in the queue or what, but that was unbelievable.

And after taking my equipment to the local office and (fortunately) getting a receipt, I was still getting emails and phone calls forwarded from my Comcast number and email. After a week and a half, I called, and the lady to whom I spoke says their record shows I didn't return my EMTA. Grrrrr! She was kind enough to allow me to email her a scanned copy of my receipt, and hopefully that resolved the issue. She didn't reply to my request for an update yet, so we'll see.

Bottom line is, services are good, but expensive. Customer service reps are very much a toss of the dice, and the difference between what an online rep tells you and what your local office can/will do is very frustrating at times. And if you return equipment, GET A RECEIPT and hold onto it.

member for 5.8 years, 2837 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by csiemers See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR
Good "The install went very smoothly. The speed!"
Bad "Took couple weeks before an installer came out."
Overall "So far so good."

Was moving and decided I wanted to get rid of my land line which also meant getting rid of my DSL provider as they don't do naked DSL. The ones that did cap, and I knew the Comcast Business didn't and my sister had been using them for her business for several years quite successfully.
So picked up the phone and placed an order.
About a week later they had a "survey" which meant someone drove by and probably checked, from the pole, whether I was able to receive service. They never even came to the door. Then took another week for an installer to come out. Within about an hour he had me up and running on my 12/2 service.
Update 2/8/2012:
Price has gone up on the modem by $2 a month. Just smoke and mirrors price increase which doesn't have to be reflected in their advertised price.
Connection still going great. More speed than seem to ever need. Streaming movies, TV, and gaming all used on this connection.
Don't miss the Satellite TV or the DSL at all.
Update 10/10/13:
First 2 years was up a month ago. Don't remember too many outages, if any in all that time. Did sign up for a Static IP and reuped for 2 more years to lock in a lower price.
Update 7/15/14:
Connection is still going strong. Now at 16/3 with a Static IP. Works great and have had no issues. Plenty fast for my household.
Update 1/21/15:
Still going strong. However, the ridiculous price increases for the modem is surprising with a "contract" but of course they can set their own price. Anyway, if other options come to my neighborhood, CenturyLink or Google, I definitely won't be renewing with Comcast.

member for 14.3 years, 6775 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bigkevssf See Profile

• Location: Dublin,Alameda,CA
Good "good speed compared to anything else available"
Bad "lose connection all the time."
Overall "you have to take the good with the bad"

, equipment rental is too expensive, NEVER go into the Comcast store. It's like DMV.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

Juls

@spcsdns.net

Bad customer service

They are the worst customer service and no one care and they just put you on hold forever so you give up. Horrible supervisors

Review by why60loss See Profile

• Location: Madison Heights,Amherst,VA
Good "Free install, really fast speeds. Blast speed bump now free, hasn't stopped working yet. Now getting 120/11.5"
Bad "Took 6 months before I got the speeds as listed on the web"
Overall "Fiber would be better, but blows all other cable out of the water"

They did a really hard install for free, took over 5 hours but they didn't quit nor slow down. I was impressed that they still did it for free. They had to run 1000+ foot of new cable, drill holes in the walls because the home never had cable. Had to snake cable though the basement and more. This was a home far out in the sticks out side the city limits.

No useage caps at this time, cheep high speed internet. Upload speeds that blow my mind, far better than Time warner cable.

Never had had an outage or an issue that needed tech support, this is how TV/Internet should be like. Works when you need it every time and doesn't feel like it holds you back.

Only had it for a month and a few weeks. So may update later.

Update:

They jacked the bill by 20 dollars a month and I haven't gotten anymore than 35/6.5 over the past few months on the blast tier. Was told by tech support that 20mbs to 50mbs download and 5mbs to 10mbs was with in spec for blast. I think it's stupid that they think it's okay for the speed to drop to 25mbs download where the next lowest tier sits.

Downsteam power levels range from -11 to -13dbm and upsteam from 50 to 52dbm. A tech should come over in the next few days to look at it.

Update2:

The cable plant in the area is to old to support 50/10 and the bandwith is just not there. Now the blast speed bump is free and 6 months of HBO was also thrown in. Bill is more like 120 a month now.

Power levels are better now, downstream power levels range from -8 to -10dbm and upstream from 48 to 49dbm. Also the line on the power poles leading to the house is getting replaced.

36/6 for the same cost as 25/5 is not bad, so even though it is disappointing I guess this being a out in the sticks area this is not bad. Time warner cable was 140 a month and I only got 30/5 speed at most.

Update3: 4/3/2014

It's been two weeks and the power levels seem to be at -10dbm to even -11dbm most of the time. Still only getting a max of 36/6.5 with drops in speed below that at random times.

[IMG]»stage.results.speedtest.comcast.···ng[/IMG]

The web site says blast now should be 105/10, now I am only getting 1/3 of the right download speed at any time of the day. Really kind of disappointing, though its not nearly as bad as getting 1/3 of 15mbs download like I had at time warner cable.

They tried to bill 40 dollars for the tech visit, that's really low. At lest they removed it with out debate unlike one other cable ISP I know that thinks 60% packet loss and 100 dollars for a tech visit is "just cable".

At lest there hasn't been an outage so they still keep full points for that.

Update 4: 6/20/2014

The web page still list 105 for blast yet only getting 36mbs download at best and the upload is still 6.5mbs.

Tech support really seems to have no idea what is what like out of 5 or so:

1) One told me that blast is 50mbs

2) One other one said blast is 10 to 105mbs download.

3) One said that blast is 25/4 and extreme is 105

4) Then one said that blast is 35mbs

5) Then one said it's 50mbs

Speed test: [IMG]»stage.results.speedtest.comcast.···ng[/IMG]

Screen shot of blast listing:
[URL=http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/Valveistrash/media/comcast/Comcastspeeds_zpsc041d8b5.jpg.html][IMG]»i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a54···G][/URL]

Got a new modem at the Comcast office in a near by city, was told I would get what I get when I asked for a 8x4 channel modem. I did end up getting a new 8x4 modem but that was kind of rude. Power levels are better now after doing that, I think the old modem was cutting it too close with -14 dbm on the down streams.

Still good speeds for the money VS time warner cable and still a non enforced cap with good pricing. Well and blast is free so that helps.

Update 5: Netcool said the head end was the bottle neck and that it would be upgraded on the 25th. Rebooted the modem at 2am and bam: »www.speedtest.net/result/3584548798.png

I get around 100mbs down and 11.5mbs up on wifi. Very impressed so far. Ran a hardwire test get 120 down and 11.5 up.

I am sure if I do a hardwire test it will pass 100mbs, but even if now this is the bomb. Really don't think I need any faster for now. It's just insane internet speed for me, never had a 100mbs down connection before with almost 12mbs upload. Edit: It did 120 on hardwire, so I was right thinking the Wi-Fi was the bottle neck.

Update 5: Speedtest over hardwire read about 130/12 or so. Wifi is about 100/12, it is really good internet service. Nothing much else to report. The cap is still non enforced, so I updated usage caps to unlimited.

member for 2.3 years, 402 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

BUTTCHEEKS

@144.160.226.x

Comcast in Wake Forest?

You have Comcast in Wake Forest?

why60loss

join:2012-09-20

Re: Comcast in Wake Forest?

sorry about that mistake. I input the wrong zip code due to being so used to being in wake forest. I wish I had Comcast when I lived in wake forest. It would have likely saved me from thinking steam is a scam and that the internet was still in pre-beta.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Downstream power is a bit low

Your downstream power is a bit low. They might need to install a broadband cable amp. Similar this this one.

»www.amazon.com/Motorola-Signal-B···Booster-

Here is a quick guide to let you know what are consider good cable modem signal strengths.

Downstream Power (-15dbmV to +15dbmV)
Most modems are rated from -15dB to +15dB,

--->>> "however it's best to have it between +8dB and -8dB. Anything less or more than that and you may have quality issues. You can remove splitters on the line if you need to raise and clean up your signal level a bit."

Upstream Power (37dbmV to 55dbmV)
The lower this number is, the better. Above 55dB will most probably cause problems, over 57dB and you probably won't be able to connect.

Signal/Noise Ratio (>30dB)
SNR is best over 30, (the higher the better, might work well with as low as 25 at times). Anything less than 25 will cause dropped connections, packet loss, slow transfers, etc.

»www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=78

Babst

@50.172.223.x

No show for set-up

Comcast was scheduled to set up Internet and cable tv. When they didn't show up as promised, I called the toll free number, was connected to someone I could not understand and was disconnected. Called another toll free number and was on hold for 45 minutes only to be told that a serviceman did arrive at 1:21 pm but nobody was home. What a lie! There were six of us waiting for them. They claimed they knocked on a building with a brown door, (ours is gray) and nobody answered! They also had the wrong phone number and didn't even try to obtain the correct number. Unfortunately they're the only service in this area so we are at their mercy:(

·Verizon Online DSL

Your local cable plant...

I am wondering where the upgrades need to be done. I checked FCC COALS to look up the Comcast system in your county, and it is a 750mhz system with an avg of about 100 people per node. Thats more than enough bandwidth to handle 50mbit Blast.

The problem must be up at the head end....interesting.

Keep us updated.

why60loss

join:2012-09-20

Re: Your local cable plant...

said by Zenit:

The problem must be up at the head end....interesting.

Keep us updated.

Yes I was told by the user netcool that the head end was going to be upgraded on the 25th and it was. Modem reboot and boom 95/11.5

Review by JBrown11 See Profile

• Location: Huntington,Cabell,WV
Good "Blast Internet + Speedboost is amazing"
Bad "Trying to get a CSR on phone or locally to get you a correct bill is like trying to find a needle in a haystack"
Overall "Lots of work on CSR end would help make experiance better"

Just got Xfinity back in October 2014 when I moved into my new apartment complex. The landlord pays for everyone to have the Digital Starter package and one standard receiver. I have the Digital Preferred add-on package for $9.99 for six months then it goes to $17/month. I have Blast! Internet @ $39.99/mo for 12 months then it goes to $76.95/mo thereafter. (Internet plan has a usage meter but atm enforcing the limit is suspended)

The install, laugh, they just gave me a bag of stuff when I went to pick up my receiver and said "good luck call if you have problems" and I was on hold for 3 hours trying to activate the equipment.

Initially I had a Motorola HD Receiver I asked the local rep if there was a fee for the HD receiver I was told no. I asked the rep if there was a rental for the modem she said no.

When I got my first bill I was shocked to find the $9.99 HD Technology Fee + $8 Modem Rental Fee so I called a CSR and they told me they were valid charges and I was stuck with them. I was like okay I am already getting a good deal here so I didn't push it. When I got a new job shortly after I needed a DVR and looking on my price list for my area I thought that was okay price for DVR service so I called to ask how to get a DVR receiver.

The CSR hypes me up on their X1 platform where I could get an HD/DVR receiver and a lot of advance services. I was like awesome until the CSR told me I needed phone service and by upgrading to the X1 platform I would pay $45 one time then my bill would be $99.95 with TV/Phone/Internet. I ask the rep if Comcast had a simple HD/DVR receiver because I don't use landline phones she said no if I wanted the DVR feature I had to go to the X1 platform with phone.

After heavy research about Comcast I decided I didn't want to pay them anymore than I had to. So I got myself a TiVo Roamio Plus for $99 up front and pay $19.99/month to TiVo for the service for two years. (This is due to the promo TiVo was running my model normally costs $399.99 at MSRP then $12.99/mo for TiVo service). When I got my new TiVo I returned my HD Receiver and asked for a cable card. The local CSR told me I needed to keep the HD Receiver for On Demand content but I told CSR I didn't care about VOD.

I also got a Netgear DOCSIS 3.0 Modem w/WiFi from a friend and paid him $25 for it (he paid $120 for the modem new). Returned Comcast's modem and had mine activated.

When I got home and paired/activated the CableCard with the TiVo (process went very smooth I was expecting to be the next Comcast horror story). Got my second bill and saw that the HD Technology Fee gone from my bill and a $2.50 credit for Customer Owned Video Equipment on my account plus my TiVo has Xfinity On Demand (these CSRs need better trained).

However the $8 Modem Rental Fee was still on the bill alongside "Customer Owned Modem" I called Comcast and the CSR said she removed the Modem Rental Fee and credited my account for the time I had my own modem. I get my third bill and lo "Modem Rental Fee.... $8" is still there called again and the gentleman said he removed the Modem Rental Fee and credited my account $8. I am now waiting for my fourth bill to see if the issue is resolved and if not I am going to make a visit to the local office again.

In short Comcast could have roughly an extra $10/mo if they would have just given me a basic HD/DVR receiver but now the money that was going to Comcast for HD Technology, Modem Rental and the Customer Owed Credit now pay for my TiVo services and I am now saving a whole 50 cents in equipment charges.

Comments:

Review by ScottJr See Profile

• Location: Charles Town,Jefferson,WV
Good "Much faster than Frontier"
Bad "Cable Price hikes"
Overall "No FiOS coming, this is the best bet in the area."

The decision to switch from Frontier phone and Dish Network was easy. I was paying $180 per month for those services together. Now with Comcast, I am paying $85 total. It will be $99 after 6 months. Still a huge difference.

Ordering was easy enough. I called Comcast and placed my order. The only problem is that they tried on three different occasions to sell me voice when it was clear that their VoIP was not available in my area. Their system always says it is available then after further review, it is not really here.

Install went smooth. The cable technician activated all of my inside connections and it has not caused any problems with signal strength. After the install, I have had to call Comcast out out two times. The first time, the repair tech changed out a small connector that said was bad. After that, the signal was constant. The next outage was a neighborhood issue causing the signal to drop for a second at a time over and over. Once resolved, my speeds and service have been great. I ordered the 12.0/2.0 package and those speeds seem to be achieved almost all the time.

I was also happy to see that Comcast has ESPN3. I was afraid that I would lose it when I dropped Frontier.

Update 1/12/15: Speeds are now 95/20. I am paying more for this package, but the internet is really fast. I may drop the cable and go internet only when Dis launches SlingTV.

member for 13.3 years, 3742 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by davidknell See Profile

• Location: Breckenridge,Summit,CO
Good "Speed, reliability"
Bad "Dealing with Comcast"
Overall "Internet service works just fine; Comcast are a bit of a nightmare."

We ordered a $29.99/month internet-only service from Comcast and opted for a self-install. We provided our own modem. Things didn't go too well to start with:

(a) we were told we had to pick up a self-install kit from a location 15 miles away. One 30 mile round-trip later, we had the kit which contained a modem, which we already had and which they knew we already had;

(b) couldn't get it to work. An engineer was supposed to visit, didn't, three calls elicited three promises of a call back but no actual calls to let us know what was going on;

(c) another engineer came out - promised no charge if the problem was outside our house, would be charged if the problem was inside. The problem turned out to be with the cabling at their box at the bottom of the garden;

(d) $99 charge for the engineer's visit, reduced by 50% for no apparent reason on our bill and then waived as the problem was outside our house, but not after I'd wasted an hour on the phone.

Once the service was up and running, it was fine and has been fine for the three months since.