Review by KittyMom See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "No service issues"
Bad "High Price"
Overall "The service is good but I am always in the market for a lower price"

We started with TCI Cable and evolved to ATT and finally Comcast for cable TV. Their channel selection and picture quality is okay; nothing to rave about.

We had Comcast Digital phone service and experienced no problems with it, but about a year and a half ago was informed that Comcast was discontinuing their old Digital service and insisting customers either switch to Comcast Digital Voice or find another provider - kind of high handed attitude. We now have the CDV and so far no issues.

Also, have Comcast HSI as part of the bundle (top tier) and I'm satisfied with the quality but feel the prices are way too high, which detracts from my overall opinion of Comcast.

Any time I've called the local number to troubleshoot an issue, I have found the reps to be professional and knowledgeable, so I would give Comcast high marks there.

One big negative is when I signed up for the bundle, I was told my monthly cost was good for two years, but at the end of one year, the price increased. So I went from $199 plus taxes, etc. to $245 and that's after the so called $20 loyalty discount.

So, I'll be very interested in reading the reviews on Verizon FIOS

4/9/11 - just received one of those friendly nudges from the site reminding me to update my review. So, I thought I'd share my latest Java Speed Test results: 110 kbps down 5094 kbps up. Keep in mind I'm paying for 2000 kbps down 16000 kbps up.

2/19/12 - latest Java Speed Test results: 19288 Kbps down 5018 Kbps up but results vary widely depending on the test site you use.

9/21/13 - I recently called Comcast to ask how I could reduce cost as my monthly triple play had climbed from $199 to $245 to $266 to $281. The rep I spoke with was very helpful, agreed I was paying too much and was able to repackage my bundle down to $180.

My most recent speed test = »www.speedtest.net/my-result/2983136525

4/17/14 - just received an email from Comcast that states -" We increased the speed of your Blast Internet service! You now have download speeds up to 105 Mbps and upload speeds up to 10 Mbps." So, I thought I'd power cycle and test it. Here are the results.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3445753555

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3445770704

member for 8.9 years, 1946 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by whfsdude See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
Good "FTTH, good speeds, awesome latency, no bandwidth cap, zero downtime so far. Great installation!"
Bad "Price is higher than I would like. Upstream is a little low (100mbit/s)"
Overall "Well worth it if you can justify the price."

Edit:

Got upgraded to 505mbit/s (actually 530mbit/s) and 100mbit/s up awhile ago. Service has been rock solid and I still love it.

Older review:
_____
I have had 305/65 service for 8 months now and am extremely happy with it.

The installation process was started late october with a request to ComcastSteve in the direct forums to have someone call me about it. About a day or two later I received a call, and shortly after was assigning a sales rep. who would coordinate the order and installation.

About a week after Comcast came out and did a site survey. This was a survey to make sure the prem. was okay for a fiber install. Then they walked to the node and checked the manholes to make sure there was room to run new micro conduit from the node (4 blocks away) to my pole.

The install required three visits. The first was to run the fiber pair from the house to the pole. The second which did not technically require a house visit but I wanted to stay in the loop, so they stopped by, was to run the fiber from the node to the manhole. The manholes are Verizon owned, so this required coordination with Verizon. This was actually the biggest delay and took about a week. The third was to splice the fiber into a splice enclosure and install the CPE (Ciena 3931). The install for this is obviously lengthy but doesn't require your presence the entire time. Of course, I wanted to see the whole thing.

By far the best install experience I have ever had. Pre-installation communication was great. I was given the cell phone number of the engineer responsible for my installation. Everyone from the line techs to engineering were wonderful, and explained every process of the install.

I don't have too much to say about the service as it just always works and is great. I've never had any downtime, other than swapping my router (pfsense atom box), and upgrading its software.

Speed is great, latency is under 2ms to Google. I always get 305/65. I use 5-6 terabytes a month without a peep from Comcast.

Price could be a little better; why is it not gigabit? 305/65 just seems like an arbitrary number.

My original thread contains a little more technical detail: [url]»Getting 305/65

member for 11 years, 5759 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

A T

join:2000-07-30

Very informative

Thanks for taking the time and sharing your experience.

Review by aSic See Profile

• Location: Crawfordville,Wakulla,FL
Good "Fast speeds."
Bad "Customer service sucks!"
Overall "Meh, better than DSL."

Moved into a new home about 5 miles from my last that Comcast refused to provide service to.

Took about a month from order to online. Most of that time was spent coordinating the linemen to actually install the drop. Idiots kept insisting the buried drop was intact, even after I showed each one of them the break poking out of the grass. Not receiving any signal at the demarc point should've been a clue, huh? Although, these were all contractors, and not actual Comcast employees... but Comcast needs to train their install-monkeys a bit better before they allow them into the field.

Service has been rock solid. Much more reliable than the DSL I was playing with.

Bottom line, if its available, go with it. You wont be disappointed... that is, unless you actually have to talk to someone about a problem.

UPDATE 14 Apr 2014 ********************

Service has been rock solid, as before. There have been a total of three outages of 3 hours each over the past year that I am aware of. This includes outages caused by severe storms. The rate has gone up quite a damn bit since I signed up. Yearly price hikes suck. I really should call in like the rest of the leeches and have my promotional rates extended.

I am supposed to be provisioned on Blast 50mbit, but have never been able to achieve greater than 28mbit. The "free" upgrade from 25 to 50 occurred in the middle of the year, but never seemed to work for me. Its always stayed at 28. Plenty of calls and troubleshooting, along with a truck roll have yielded no results, so I ended up giving up and leaving it alone.

So like before, its been rock solid, customer service still sucks, and its still better than DSL.

member for 12.9 years, 2372 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
JohnShade

join:2009-03-07
Pearland, TX

Speed.

Do you have a Docsis 2.0 or Docsis 3.0 modem?? If it's a 2.0 it needs to be upgraded to 3.0. Free swap out at any svrc center

aSic
application specific
join:2001-05-17
Wakulla, FL

Re: Speed.

Its 3.0. Zoom 5341J, 8x8.

Review by nonamesleft See Profile

• Location: Manitowoc,Manitowoc,WI
Good "Better then att"
Bad "Constant rate hikes and no competition."
Overall "Easier to deal with then att"

·Callcentric
I have had comcast internet for a while, I did have the 1mb down 384k up tier for awhile and then went up to the 6/1 tier (not sure if thats the performance one?), seems when there is problems the outages are 2 or 3 hours or more.

I am having problems right now, I have tryed my other cable modem, same problems, losing sync, lights go blinking. I call tech support and tell them about it, and they bring up the router as the problem! I try to make myself more clear, and said the modem log says the modem was shutting down and restarting. They offer to send someone out and I ask how much that will be, 49.95...I passed on it. We have had a very hot summer for our area, power levels seem to jump when the sun is out. I feel like I had interrupted those poor people at comcast. Just seems like the elevator doesn't go all the way to the top at this company.

9/18/2012...4 hour internet outage 8am til 12pm...Hope that has taken care of the high end signal problems, or else I am dumping comcast if I see anymore modem is shutting down and rebooting in the cable modem logs.

9/26/2012 Starting at 1:45pm internet goes down, still not working by 11:45pm later that night, Assume it came back early thursday morning, NOT too happy with comcast at this point.

So I start my morning on line, and already 7:46 the modem loses sync and shuts down and reboots...For WHAT!? I don't know. I would of thought that long outage would of fixed the problems.

Update: The local news paper covered the outage, Both outage incidents involved fiber outages in our transport network provider. They say its been taken care of.

9-28-2013 about 20 to 3PM My youtube video stops and webpages won't load, All solid green lights on modem. What is comcasts problem? I hope to find something that is better then comcast with less issues, and something that actually fixes problems.

Time for an update since I had a technician over on 10-7-2013. Connectors up on the pole and the side of the house changed, at this point things are looking ok. At this point, it seems like the issues were the really old outside connections between the pole and the house. So I will bump up ratings, and so forth. Oddly enough phone support actually was more helpful then comcast direct forums. It was great to have a couple of phone support people actually go off script for once. I also got a phone survey later on after this technician appointment, as certain things didn't apply and stuff, I ended up saying yes, as its stuff I already would of known, and didn't feel it was right to dock a tech for that stuff. as far as the technician rating I give 5 stars.

Time for a update 4-13-2014 The connection reliability has been pretty good, Only one to two drops a month, possibly due to EAS tests. I am bumping up the connection reliability, and tech support ratings to be fair. It really all to depends on who you get on the phone, if you don't like the answer you get call back and try again.

member for 2.4 years, 617 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW

My experience may help.

Started with @Home near the turn of the Century, which was taken over by ATTBI [not sure of exact name anymore] then Comcast acquired. Have had Comcast in 4 locations in the PNW and that includes two States. Did have DSL for a year from a small Co-op way out in the country [best service I ever had, though only 1.5 meg]

Where I am now, I have had the most outages so far. Some lasting up to 5 hours. I was able to call the Comcast number from the phone registered to the account and the "system" advised me that there was a known outage every time, with an ETA. The last time, it also included TV. I have just watched DVD movies till it returned.

Did have a problem with speeds late this summer and suspected that the line "I had run" was the culprit. And it was. I originally ran the line myself, just for TV and for that it worked fine. I used some "crap" connections and leftover cable for a 75' run. Over 3 years it degraded. My speeds were erratic at different times of the day, per various speed tests. Called support, let them do their thing, and they sent a Company Tech the next day. Since the line was in the attic and furniture was in the way in the room where the Modem was, made access easy for the Tech by moving everything out of the way. And having the Laptop connected to the Modem directly when he came.

We ended up by putting in a new splitter and ran new line from that to the modem. Before I had 3 or so barrel connectors and some crap connectors. I helped the Tech. as much as I could. I could tell that he appreciated that as it was toasty in the attic. Plus it put us on an even playing field, so I could ask questions and get good answers.

Ended up with speeds higher than my Tier, wirelessly and more so once connected directly to the modem.

Was never told what the cost was to be at the time of the call, but it was only $32.00 or so on the next bill. Best $32.00 ever spent. And he was here 2 hours. He fixed a couple of other issues that would have been problems over the next couple of years for cable going to another room where the main TV is.

So what is the takeaway from the story? - help the Techs and they will help you, whether on the phone or in person. And one can learn of new tools they now have. Just that week the Tech had been issued some slick ones to do his job.

Plus it probably does not hurt that I have provided Tech Support for USWest/Qwest, GM, Sprint/Nextel, Vesta, and a bunch of other companies. I know what the person can and can not do on the other end of the phone line. And assholes did not get very far with me, I would help them, but would not go out of my way. It would hurt my call metrics. Nice people? I bent over backwards and could have several hour long calls per day, without hurting my metrics.

I do realize that different areas of the country have different levels of experience with Comcast, but so far, in my area, I talk with local people in Tech Support.

I can get CenturyLink where I am at, but reading the reviews and talking with others in my area as to their problems, will stay with Comcast for now.

Good luck solving your issues!

htth

Review by RokHed See Profile

• Location: Pennsville,Salem,NJ
Good "Real fast, Solid connection"
Bad "Tech support"
Overall "Tech support tried to lie"

$30.05 a month for 16/2 25/3 with powerboost cant be beat in my area. I have my laptop and wii on netflix and 5 machines doing various things.
Been rock solid for me. 250g is plenty for my home use. I like the cap. It makes heavy users pay for degrading my service.
Got the speed bump to 20/4 Just as stable now only faster.
Best High Speed by far!
11/26/10
Still the best internet in my area.
12/18/2010
Solid performer..No downtime
1/25/2011
Stable and fast
4/19/2011
Raised the price by 3 bucks, So Now I pay $33ish. However i get even more speed now on the same tier. with the PB i now regularly get 30/6 and sustained downloads of 20 All day long on multi gig downloads. Vonage is clear with no jitter.Stream netflix and hbo go with 0 issues.
the best internet hands down

»www.pingtest.net/result/39163969.png

5/27/11
Rock Solid 20Mb sustained PBoost 30ish. Dont get better than that for $33 a month

8/4/11
DL 26.4 UL 5.04
$33.04
Extremely Fast, Reliable, Affordable.
Simply the best in my area!

8/21/11

Chuggin along )

12/14/11
Fastest most stable option in my area.. and still 33.03

1/20/12
No downtime and still fast!

3/10/12
Just re-upped for 30.05 for Blast 25/5 after taxes .. still blazing fast with no downtime

4/5/12
Rock solid... 0 downtime

5/16/12
Still chuggin along.. no downtime

6/6/12
Stable
7/11/12
Just switched to triple play with everything but CMax and 4 boxes with Blast internet and phone for $119.99.. box fees waived and no Emta rental. Go to Best Buy and and work your deal.. Its worth it.

7/30/12

50/10 for the same price. I need to get a dual band card so my wireless can even keep up. Wired im gettin 54/10.5 By far the fastest internet in my area

9/18/12

Real Fast

11/28/12
Rock solid. no downtime

1/19/13
They just sent me a letter telling me that they were not billing me correctly and were going to raise me price by 7 bucks. SO since I do my services with the Comcast guy in the Bestbuy store I told them no thanks and since I have my price guarantee in writing I wont be paying the extra $7 but thanks for offering. She was dumbfounded and said that she would hafta look into it. Got a call back in 10 min. They gave me $10 off for another year... LOL thats even less than my price fix. Love Comcast. Just gotta know how to handle them

5/18/13
Rock solid. 0 downtime for months

6/1/13
Still the best internet available

6/26/13
Still no downtime and plenty of speed

9/9/13
Still a solid performer

10/29/13
Fast and as reliable as ever.

2/26/14
No downtime, Still no downtime.

3/13/14
No noticeable downtime in over a year

4/11/14
Had an issue losing sync. 3 or 4 days of spotty service. Didnt even need a house call.

member for 13.6 years, 2464 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
RokHed

Bam 33 bux

Kewliuke

join:2003-01-18
Delmar, DE

Re: 25/5

Looks nice. Are your speedtest.net results typical of mine?

Re: 25/5

Similar yes. I still dont have a dual band card in my laptop, so wireless is around 30/10 but when I plug into my linksys its always over 50/10.

Actually mine seem more stable than yours if your on 50/10
Kewliuke

join:2003-01-18
Delmar, DE

Re: 25/5

Yeah, I'm on 50/10, wired. Comcast doesn't know why my speeds fluctuate like that.
Darknessfall

join:2012-08-17

Do you still pay $33?

Re: 25/5

No I upgraded to Tripple Play witheverything but Cmax.. 4 boxes phone and 50/10 internet. $119. From the Comcast guy in Bestbuy.

Wifi

Wired

FreeBSDuser

join:2013-05-15
Somers, NY

...

said by RokHed :
First time I saw somebody other than a employee of a cable company giant actually liking the cap.

Re: ...

Heck that was a long time ago. I think its 350 now maybe? Sure I like it if it allows me to have my full speed every time I want to use it. And I still never come close to 250 let alone 350. I have a Airave for my cell phone calls. On Wifi I run 4 laptops 3 cell phones and stream content from Netflix and Redbox.
Welp there is a first for everything. Im a Retired Truck Driver. Thanks for your reply.

Review by Scuba1 See Profile

• Location: Windsor,Hartford,CT
Good "Very dependable and consistent so far. Triple play seems to be working well."
Bad "$$$$$$$"
Overall "Beats DSL in my area."

Went tp triple play 5 months ago. The installer had someone in training with him, not sure if that made a difference or not. My number was ported with no issues. The services came up fine.

Now I'd like to see more HD content but other than that, no issues so far.

9/16/10 Upgraded to 50/10 tear 1 month ago. Seems snappy and stable.

4/11/2014 Currently on the 105/20 tier. During a support call tech support reflashed my modem to the wrong config. It took 2 weeks and 5 calls for them to correct their mistake.

member for 12.1 years, 3589 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Clocker1000 See Profile

• Location: Sterling Heights,Macomb,MI
Good "Great OnDeman Choices and Lots of HD. Phone works as advertised with no extra fees"
Bad "CS not as down home friendly as WOW. Bundle prices creep up over time."
Overall "Best Price/Services Ratio!"

·WOW Internet and..
X1 is Awesome. 105/20 Internet is Awesome. Phone works great.

Comcast's price beat WOW's and they over a lot more services/channels/ondemand/internet speed!

member for 12.9 years, 1046 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Andrew J See Profile

• Location: Lancaster,Lancaster,PA
Good "Very fast most times"
Bad "Pings are pretty good most of the time"
Overall "Fastest broadband I can get"

Edit 04-10-14 Speeds very good and service has been very reliable since the last edit.

Edit 08-25-11 Speeds very good and service has been very reliable since the last edit.

Edit 12-05-09 Free boost of speeds to 16,000/2,000 very good!

Edit 02-20-08 Still fast and only goes down an hour or two every six months.

Edit- 10-26-05: Price still at $70 but with the free upgrade now get a steady 8100/710. Pings are pretty good and everything else has been great for months now.

Edit 01-29-05: Price still at $70 but the system wide upgrade sent my speeds to a fairly steady 5400/710, now that's what I'm talkin about!

--------------------
Edit 7-29-04: For a total of $70 a month I get basic stripped down cable TV(don't use), cable modem, and 4,400Kbps down with 384Kbps up. This is really good and feels like the @home days of years ago! Ping times are better and I can live with them now most nights of the week.
---------------------
Comcast is 3300 down/ 256 up for standard service now. Speeds are wild from 100 - 2800 down for me. With pings still bad from 6 months ago. All traffic is routed through Chicago! This is so stupid you might have trouble believing it. My pings to Chicago Counter Strike servers are under 50. My pings to PA(where I live) and NYC servers are over 100!

Calling support is awful. If you have any problems, good luck. Mine was down and they said it would be 10 days before a tech could come out. Well it was 10 days but they did replace the transmitter and that fixed the node. Dynamic IP. Install went ok. $3 a month for MOT cable modem.

Ping has been better for a month or two.

member for 12.4 years, 5496 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by murph12 See Profile

• Location: Jackson,Jackson,MI
Good "Decent Installers just young guys"
Bad "Comcast is terribleAND NOW EXTORTING IN APRIL 2014"
Overall "crap comcast cannot' do get fast cheap net in this countrty (Is the USA all medidcure now in everything?)"

·T-Mobile US
April, 2014 UPDATE -- Comcast has resorted to a new low with AUDIT AND COLLECTIONS DEOT. that sems to create "old bills" when customers move, then they demand immediate payment (even though they sent no bill) or they will (and do) cancel the install at your new address!

USE THIS AS A OPPORTUNITY to find other ISPs and choose anyone BUT comcast as We as customers cannot reward such a criminal organization with such terrible service any more. I am done with them even if I have to use WiFi and VPNs.

COMCAST Services SE Michigan -- moving, Modem, and overall review -- October 2012. Edit Add Feb 10, 2013. Still expensive, and not fast

+++++++++++++++

2014 UPDATE -- Comast still too slow, and too expensive (for mediocre service) connecting to the Backbone)! Google Fiber rolls out prove beyond doubt they CAN offer speed for a reasonable price but only if forced to do so, by competition preferably or a law and tax issues otherwise (they surely will not do it unless forced) -- which is exactly, EXACTLY what We need in this Country (and State of Michigan) to get the economy going !! Competition for more connections to the Backbone with 10 GB speeds so that We home and business can have 1 GIG service for $50 month (and they would still make a incredible profits).

SO next time you talk to you, Us, the Voters, tell your Reps. and Senators if they want your vote to make a law the USA main ISPs that offer Home/Business Internet Service, they HAVE TO offer 1 GB service for $50 month or less, or face increased tax, or something *(better yet perhaps offer Startups the ability to compete without massive investment).

+++++++++++++++

From Early adopter (see below) of tech, mashups, mobile (Android, mainly), and Social -- use HSI (and need Gigabit Services) to upload programs, apps and other digital information Online.

As few recent reviews exist of Comcast (10/2012) in the local area -(Jackson, Ingham, Washtenaw) Counties I specifically wanted to review Comcast internet (HSI), Installation, speeds, modems, reliability, latency, and Prices.

First and most important: THE future is being held back in the USA by the lack of REAL High Speed Internet, known as Gigabit (Google is building Google Fiber, which is Gigabit --- so the US is behind. We need to do it ourselves. This is literally holding US, the Country, (and the World for that matter) back and from re-sparking the economy of 2000-2008- WE need Gigabit right now -- if you know the changes the "net" brought in the 1990s the prosperity, and opportunity -- then you know what Gigabit speeds, 1000 times faster than now --then 1000s times the prosperity is being held back!

OK - many do not know the same HDTV you get on cable is available FREE Over-the-Air now, exactly like on cable, all one needs is the right Antenna as digital TV is there -- or it's not. So I am using a mix of Internet and over-the-air, until I end cable TV soon just want to work the issues out before I save some $50 a month (probably more next week as the bill keeps going up).

I like others have started to cut the (TV) cable cord. and shifted towards internet service bringing TV programming to my DVR -- but PRICE is important as Netflix proved and now is only $8 month. But it does not provide networks, so that I get through over-the-air or Antenna.

With DVRs and other time shifting, for the most part have programming We want, when and where We want it -- even HBO is starting to provide "go" programming (but price is still an issue). The Cable (HBO) provides some of the best, cutting edge programming but I hope soon they will provide a pure internet option. Low Price matters. It is what brings Wide scale adoption.

"CUTTING THE CABLE CORD" BUT HAD TO MOVE FIRST:

COMCAST is a "main" provider of reasonably priced residential High Speed Internet (HSI) service in SE Michigan, widely available and mostly reliable -- BUT the speeds are slow in general (but great compared to the current options so in essence it is the only game in town).

We need Broadband Internet competition (as it seems other providers cannot seem to get critical mass and provide the same services, but I could be wrong). Mediocre Internet speeds of around 10 MB is now the norm for the lower price tiers I have currently, and although I want better speeds, it is the best available.

Now Google Gigabit or "Fiber" is only going to Kansas City so far -- Verizon FIOS proves the best price is around Fifty Dollars ($50) a month which they provide 50 MBps

»www.broadband.gov/plan/

We want more speed (as speed brings innovation) and FIOS is not available in SE Michigan. Google Fiber, or any gigabit fast Internet Service needs to be available in all of the USA as all Americans need to have (and need to demand) this the same as any other Utility - which it has become. Comcast does seem to provide 10 MB down, and around 1 MB up.

With the "boost" download speeds of 30 MBps is the service from Comcast in SE Michigan.

Moore's Law (double speed, half the price every 18 months or so) has not applied to Home Internet Service, IMHO, because the infrastructure was SOLD -- Our Government at work for US again

In any case We do have 0 to 30 MBps service from Comcast HIGH SPEED INTERNET with basic cable for about $80 a month here in SE MIchigan including basic shows on cable, but NO DVR..

Moving went well from Comcast "move" service online -- and HSI and CableTV service was moved on the day it was scheduled. Comcast has advertised two-hour appointments but I still wasted an entire day with it waiting for the installers, doing the work after they left, and having the new service being online for everything like it was at the former address.

As many Families want to lessen the ever increasing Cable bill, I too have started to "cut the cord" of CableTV -- as We can get HDTV over the air (in other words, with an Antenna) in SE Michigan in addition to Comcast Cable but you do need the TV that has a tuner in it or another set top box.

So I purchased a newer model Digital UHF and VHF antenna and used my existing equipment in Home including Digital tuners, HDTV, a generic DVR -- and for the cutting the cable start a Roku and BluRay DVD Player with Internet Apps built into it (thjese provide TV programs free after the box, which is less than $100 each, is paid for -- the only ongoing cost is the internet or Comcast HSI, which I have anyway for "internet service.".

These ROKU and APPS are sometimes called "media devices" and have come out in the past two years or so with newer ones released and being sold in stores every day (be cautious, as many are NOT ready to do what most people want them to do -- replace cable TV completely) that only need Broadband or HS Internet service for programing. The Blu-Ray includes an ethernet cable port, and included in it if you put HSI into the Ethernet through a Home router, is the "apps" provide Netflix, Vudu, and some other program names. It is NOT like watching traditional cable, so it takes some time and get use to them, and the extra effort needed to find, watch, and hook into (Register, some free, some charge) shows -- although they sometimes do have the regular network TV Shows (e.g. "House") they are usually NOT on at the same time the first run showing on traditional Networks (ABC, NBC, CBS).

This obviously causes problems for some, including myself, as that is the reason I am still paying for basic cable (the favorite shows).

To lower the monthly costs (which IS a consideration) requires ending cable TV programming charges completely which I have NOT done yet. I also enjoy other programming (such as BBC) not usually available and the "apps" and Roku provide these shows and so far the 10-30 MBps service has worked well for them, no problems usually but they do take time to "load" (5-10 seconds). As an "early adopter" to these "media devices" they are great and use the same HSI we already have -- but I wonder at what point the will need more Bandwidth? The programs or apps are exponentially growing and so many are available this is not the place to do anything more than say there are thousands! Comcast HSI enables Us to bring these programs into the Home, with the "apps" -- If possible your tech-savvy Son, Daughter or Friend could set up for you but this defeats the purpose I believe but most are free so not a big deal !

Modems is the next issue as it was the Motorola Surfboard SB6120 which Comcast charges me $7 month rental fee. The only "plus" to this is they own it so if it fails they have to replace it free. I am going to purchase one but of course, which one is the issue.

Moving Cable installation itself was easy but it cost $30 install fee. The value of a network interface, the RG6 cable, and splitters is worth it but Comcast has certainly got to do this better - We used to have to sit around all day waiting on the Installer (without even a call) -- this time they did call and let me know they were on the way. I was fortunate to get good installers (two of them). They were good, and Comcast even started putting up plastic network boxes on the Outside House Wall (similar to network interface used by phone companies).

SPEEDS: Comcast HSI Internet speeds IMHO, are the reason I am with Comcast as compared to DSL, or other services *although see above about Gigabit*. The Service and Speeds are mostly reliable and the price is reasonable but given Comcast loves to confuse Consumers with Marketing and Pricing nonsense (triple double play, service speed/reliability (almost the same confusion attempts as with Flat-screen HDTVs).

It would behoove Most Consumers to find, or hire, someone who is tech-savvy to advise them who is NOT selling them anything - on what to order. A close friend or someone to do research online for HSI specials is almost required as they do run "specials" all the time, so do that before the order as it COULD save a considerable amount given all the nonsense marketing (mixed in with actual specs). Get someone who ACTUALLY knows Computers, Tech and doing online searches (vs. people who "say" they do but could not determine what site is comcast, and which sites are NOT comcast.

SECURITY. make sure if you have wirless your WPA2 personal or similar is on and a password set first thing. Otherwise you might spend a $1000 or Two of hard earned money and get stuck with crap that everyone is able to get into as easy as sitting in front of your House. Same for non-wireless as the firewall and anti-virus is required today. Not having them is akin to leaving your front door open and Comcast includes some security programs but I do not use them so cannot comment - but they are included free as constant guard so USE THEM. If you do NOT have a Son, Friend, Work person, that is "Tech-Savvy" person to double check this, others are easily found and available at most computer shops. it is well worth PAYING if you do not know what to do, or seek out a business (which do exist but not in small communities it seems) to secure your HSI. At a minimum use the Constant Guard included with Comcast HSI.

Comments:

Review by Scree See Profile

• Location: Mount Laurel,Burlington,NJ
Good "Very consistent download speed now with DOCSIS 3.0 modem"
Bad "Could always use better upload speed, but Blast decent now"
Overall "Still no other choice here! :("

[Was @Home when got back in 1999] Install took place about 10 days after ordering via their web site. Installation was smooth, all they did was split my existing cable and set the tcp/ip etc. settings in Windows. They didn't install any software, but I was sure to tell them I didn't want anything they offered. They said the modem could take up to an hour to synchronize, and they left. Well, hours went by, and no go. So I finally called, and the rep said he'll check stuff there and to call back the next day if it didn't sync yet. Still no go, so he schedules a service call that's 10 days later because they're so understaffed! So there sits the modem blinking, but "luckily" for only 6 days, as this very nice lady rep calls around 6 pm to ask if I still had a problem (was dinner time, but no big deal in this case -hehe). And problem solved... The culprit was the installer told them the wrong modem serial number when he called to get it activated! He read one digit wrong. Well, as you can imagine, it was a tough 6 days, thinking "why didn't the installer test the cable line quality" because he didn't, etc. etc. And the techs at the office should have known better, being a brand new install, that a wrong serial number could have been a possibility. Well, now they know better, I HOPE. ['Days from order to success' would have been 10 days instead of 16 if they didn't make that stupid mistake.] Anyway, it was a static IP, but later was forced to change to dynamic. The service rocks most of the time. It does go out now and then, sometimes for 30 seconds, sometimes for 5 hours, but rarely -- some days were "bad" in terms of annoying mini-outages, but never had a very serious outage time other than one in almost a year now. Things were pretty cool for another six months, then there was this major problem that caused the modem to not sync anymore, the cause having been their attempt to send out a modem update that backfired on modems that had some bad revision of the firmware (so they said). So after calling about the problem, it took 16 days for that service call! (modem was replaced) Finally, just recently my area had a pathetic cap on upload speed implemented, which SUCKS BIGTIME! Upload speed is no better than ISDN now, and terrible compared to same-priced DSL. Now while uploading, web browsing stalls a bit because the upload stream is maxed out at the time. Luckily download speed remains decent, but that has been seriously capped now as well. To further take away service value, newsgroup access is now pathetic with a 1gb a MONTH limit! Value to cost ratio, hello?!!! Anyway, Comcast is still definitely worth the money because it's simply superior to trying to do anything on 56K or worse anymore, that's for sure.

[AS OF 7/05] Over time they increased speeds to much better value (competition?), and newsgroups are now 2gb a month.

[AS OF 6/08] Since last update, bought own modem to get rid of the rental fee to reduce the charge by $3 (was $42.95, went to $39.95). Later they raised the normal price to $42.95. A while later I added $10 for the increased speed tier (double the download and much better upload). Since then Comcast has been pressured by competition (though there is STILL no alternative in my area!) and increased the speeds further on all tiers, including implementing "powerboost" or "blast!" (or whatever it's called by the time I finish writing -lol). Newsgroups are still 2gb a month, but now especially pathetic if go over because they seem to lock you out for two months instead of resetting on the next month! (So I'm done with that for good now.) -- Newsgroups officially killed some time later, of course with no reduction in service cost.

[AS OF 5/09] The $52.95 speed tier was recently increased to 18 Mbps down (and 22 powerboostblast - Was 16 & 20) and 3 Mbps up (and 5 powerboostblast - Was 2 & 4). And just when I was seriously considering going back down to the $42.95 speed tier because the upload speeds were the same for both before. Smart move, comcast! Maybe. lol

[AS OF 10/10] Price recently raised to $54.95. Now that upload speed really matters more than download speed to me, and there's not all that much difference between the Performance and Blast tiers anymore, I'm seriously considering going back down a level for better value (would then be $44.95). Man I wish there were alternatives in my area! :/

[AS OF 8/12] Blast tier now $58 and finally worth the money (well, almost), having been bumped up to non-powerboost 50 down and 10 up (I actually get almost 58 and 12). Absolutely can't go back to Performance tier now, thanks cc. heh Anyway, I actually felt that I had to increase my Tech Support rating because I had a problem resolved by some very nice folks on the phone a few times (rating was 1, now 3).

[AS OF 2/13] Blast tier now $61! May finally have to go down to Performance tier afterall, this is getting ridiculous with the all-around cable cost increases (TV just not worth it anymore, e.g.).

[AS OF 3/14] Blast tier now $64!!! According to rumor, the Blast and Performance tier speeds will be doubled soon. If this does happen here, it will definitely be time to finally return to the Performance tier to get what I'm getting right now, but for $10 less. ha?!

[AS OF 4/1/14] No joke, Blast download speed raised (~120 tested), but upload still the same (~12).

member for 12.9 years, 3555 visits, last login: a few hours ago