Review by relli843 See Profile

• Location: Ladson,Berkeley,SC
Good "Speeds"
Bad "Stability, and Customer Service"
Overall "When it works it's great, When it goes bad it Stays bad for a long time!"

When the service is working correctly, it is great. The problem is that far too often this is not the case. I constantly have issues with high ping and packet loss. I have had more than 5 service calls in 2 months with no resolution. I finally have someone from maintenance working with me as he gave me his personal number to text him each day until it gets completely fixed, so this is great. The biggest issue is the process of working through customer service.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week
lodged a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by JP84 See Profile

• Location: Lebanon,Hunterdon,NJ
Good "Lightning fast internet for the same price as DSL"
Bad "Terrible customer service,"
Overall "I would recommend this if your only 2 options are DSL or Cable."

Coming from Century link 10mbps DSL ($65 per month, plus a mandatory $9, because at that tier they make you use their own modem / gateway, and you have to bundle VoIP phone service)

Installed Comcast Blast 105, currently averaging 128mbps down (sometimes I can hit 132) No bandwidth caps, $64 per month, no contract, haven't dropped a connection since install a week ago, Using my own SB4161 modem, Asus ac87u router. I can play multi-player games on PS4, while streaming 1080p Netflix, and watching Youtube HD, at the same time with zero lag, or performance decreases at all. Only downside is Comcast customer service is a joke (Century Links is no better)

I can only comment about the high speed internet, I use Directv as my TV service, and use Verizon as my mobile phone provider.

I'm also not sure if it is a steady 128mbps down, all my speed tests show 125+ but I have not downloaded a huge file (Only ones I download are full games on PS3 and PS4, where you cant see the download bit rate, and it looks like Sony's marketplace servers cap download speeds to 20mbps regardless of connection)

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

Review by krypt08700 See Profile

• Location: Midwest
Good "Consistant speeds, Solid upload bandwidth."
Bad "Moderate outages"
Overall "Average"

Had Blast! 50M with random TV (that I never watched).
Upgraded to 100M Internet only. (All this before the national speed upgrades)
Youtube and a few other bandwidth intensive sites ran better while using a VPN (less buffering, etc).

Hardware: Motorola SB6121 (Customer Owned)
Provisioned Speed: 100/25M
Received Speed: 120/25M

»i.imgur.com/mIWjbr0.png

Comments:

Review by afool See Profile

• Location: Nashville,Davidson,TN
Good "fast, when it is working, it's great. "
Bad "customer service, price always going up, every month more"
Overall "if I had another decent choice, I'll jump at it.. thinking about uverse now"

This is a true Comcast nightmare story.. read on..
Customer service that is the worst, and then, after 2 months,
a bright spot out of all the idiots that work there.

6 weeks ago I received a letter stating I was being upgraded to the new dosc3
whatever and I would get a new voice modem. I thought great! Sent in my request..
this is where the $hit with Comcast has come very close to junking them and going with Uverse.

I received my modem.. it's a voice modem with WIFI and a router..
Upon learning that I cannot turn off the wifi, it has to be bridged
by Comcast, as Comcast will not let you get into the router part..
Also learned that every time the modem needed to be reset, it would
have to be bridged again. I would just use my own router.

SO I called them, explained the elect. here, goes out and blinks all the
time, That I needed a modem with no WiFi.. they said sure..... no problem.
I think, all is good.. well a week later, along comes ups with my package,
I send back the other one.. open it up and.. ITS THE SAME MODEM. I'm getting
pissed now.. recall them.. explain EVERYTHING once again, am assured they will
send me the correct one this time.. Hung up, called the retention dept,
and explained everything again, they double checked and assured me the order
is there and it will be the right one.. I feel confident, got 2 different people looking at it..

I wait.. and wait.. Ups lady arrives.. Big box.. thought, well.. we'll see..
Sent the last one back AGAIN. Opened this box.. now what do you think I got?
2 TWO thats 2 of the wrong modems. Who in there right mind orders or uses
2 effin modems? Doesn't Comcast look at their orders? Does not the shipping
person look.. I was assured this would be a voice modem with NO wifi.

Appears they do not care what the order states, they just go so fast and
grab grab grab off a shelf, not reading and ship it out.. SO again..
another contact with Comcast.. By now I am HOT.. this has been a month now.
Ongoing Comcast crap. called comcast explained ONCE AGAIN.. all this..
Am assured again that I will receive a voice modem with no wifi no router..
just a simple damn voice modem. What is so hard to understand about this request??

I wait once again for a week.. ups lady comes again even she is laffing
and bad talking comcast. Telling me to get Uverse, it's cheaper, and you
get a 200$ gift card. Any way.. I get the box.. small box this time,
I really think this is it! Wait, the box is awful light. I send the 2
wrong ones back at the same time. I open the box.. Know why it was so
light? It's a damn empty box!!! What the hell is this crap??? Furious
now.. I call Comcast yet again.. this makes 6 or 7 delivery's of nothing
but crap. This is not a company, this is a circus. and a over priced one.

I did online chat this time. explained yet again my problem, and let me
tell you it's getting harder to do as the story is getting LONG. This
person assures me they will get it straightened out.. I said I doubt it,
heard that 6 times before. and anyway.. they said it would be shipped.
The right one.. hahaha They know nothing about doing something right.

ANYWAY, This was Thursday 8/14 The next day I got an email showing where
my bill was changed, which just proves whoever I chatted with did SOMETHING,
but, I have NOT received an email that says "My equipment has shipped"
Thought I would this morning 8/18 Nothing. SO.. now I don't think they even put the order in.

I will probably once again call them. But it will be my second to last call.
I've had enough of a dysfunctional company. If this is not fixed. all I want
is what THEY offered ME free.. an upgrade. I didn't ask for it, nor did I ask
for this hell. One voice modem, with no router or WiFi.. what is so hard with this?

I already have a call into Uvers and they are coming today to check me for
installation. Not going to commit yet, but having my options open. Going to
get the actual prices, what I get for it eq etc. Comcast will have one last
chance and frankly that's more then they deserve.

What am I asking here? Well a damn voice modem with NO ROUTER or wifi.
I mean I didn't ask for the upgrade, I got a letter in the mail saying
I was being upgraded.

Maybe even a check to see if this was even ordered and being shipped?

What else am I asking for? Get this note to the CEO of Comcast, ANYONE
higher up to show them the incompetence of their employees.
I have names of them, dates and ticket numbers to pass along as well.
Everyone I talked to should not have a job there.

I get an email and call from a woman soumds_esl@cable.comcast.com From get this..
CORPORATE/ I tell her my whole story,
she assures me that SHE will send me the right modem. I doubted her and said so.. her exact words were:
"I'm from corporate and I will send you the right one" Well guess what??? I got one and it was.. WHAT?
THE WRONG ONE AGAIN. This time no shipping label to send back. I called her and emailed her back for a week..
progressively getting more pissed. She has never returned one email or call. A Comcast Corporate bitch..
and THIS is what you want if Comcast is to get even bigger?

Now to tell you about a fantastic guy who works for Comcast..

Now.. I went on Facebook and found a Comcast page, and just posted the words "Comcast sucks."
A couple days later I got a message from a guy who is in Philadelphia, and named Peter. I do not
know if he is corporate but his email address is also cable.comcast.com. Well THIS guy needs a raise..
after a week of talking with him he found one of the modems I was looking for. Had it sent here,
and is now sending return mail stickers and box as well.. Also, will credit my account for the
battery I will have to buy for the thing. When Comcast sold me on the telephone part,
they guaranteed a battery.. I had explained my elect goes out in the country here all the time..
well the new modems do not come with a battery now. If I knew that was what was to come,
I would not have got phone service with them at that time.. switch and bait eh? Also this Pete is
crediting my account 100$ for the aggravation I have went through..
Hows that for support.. This guy needs a raise! Are you
LISTENING Comcast.

This is the sorry sack of crap comcast is now..It will get worse trust me. It will get so
bad people will start fighting back. and I for one will join them. Comcast is to big for
its britches now. Don't let it get MORE out of control. Their tech help knows nothing..
I've had pixelation on the tv when I use the computer. This has been on going for a month as
well. Had a guy here, cut the ends off my cables put new ones on.. called it fixed.. it
is NOT fixed yet. But the good part.. he sat in my kitchen waiting on something he had
hooked up and talked on his cell phone for 30 min something about his kid and basketball.
When he got the reading whatever he wanted, he said see ya, went out in my drive and sat in
his truck.. no $hit now, for over an hour with the door open so I can hear him..
about his kid and basketball to the same person. Is this more of why comcast charges
so much for crap service??

cant wait to go dove hunting and start shooting birds sitting on comcasts cable wire.

Un effin happy customer

BUT this Pete in Philadelphia needs a RAISE comcast...
ONE person went above and beyond to help me.. where 8-10 others could not, and/or would not do.

Including this bitc$ Comcast strives to provide outstanding customer service and I appreciate your
bringing this matter to my attention. Please contact me at
256-922-6569.
Melody S.

Executive Customer Relations THIS bitc$ needs fired, or at least a fat lip.

Comments:
SJTech

join:2013-01-28

you could saved yourself

time and aggravation by purchasing your own D3 modem from anywhere. Those all in one modems are all the company is pushing. and you can turn off the WiFi, I do it often.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Re: you could saved yourself

I agree.. I don't like those all in one. I like to even keep my router separate from my wireless access point. Makes configuration a bit more flexible.

Review by wchillman See Profile

• Location: Gig Harbor,Pierce,WA
Good "Performance Starter is all that a cord-cutter needs."
Bad "Nevertheless, it still feels like extortion."
Overall "Reclassify under Title II as common carriers so the FCC can order them to open up their internet lines to competition."

The most common complaints in the Comcast forums fall into three areas: overpriced plans, continual price increases, and poor customer service. Our way to deal with these complaints is to apply the KISS principle and follow these three cardinal rules:

1. NEVER bundle

2. REJECT all TV packages

3. DECLINE all offers to upsell you

By keeping things this simple, it is nearly impossible for Comcast to pull any monkey business. All this may sound counterintuitive but we now get GREAT ENTERTAINMENT AS WELL AS INTERNET for LESS THAN 50 BUCKS A MONTH with no junk fees! Not only that, we watch it in high definition without renting any Comcast cable box or paying any silly HD Technology Fee! It really affords a value proposition that Comcast just can’t match. Read on if you are interested.

You may not know this but in 2012, Comcast was ordered by the FCC to offer a stand-alone broadband service with a download speed of at least 6 mbps at a price no greater than $49.95 per month. This order was extended to February 21, 2015 and the speed tier is called Performance Starter. As recent retirees on a fixed income, we opted for this service as the monthly charge is fixed at $49.95 with no other taxes, charges or fees. That’s right: a fixed price with no surprise increases in your bill and no added junk fees. THIS, BY THE WAY, IS A RARITY WITHIN COMCAST'S SERVICE PACKAGES. Nonetheless, it still feels like extortion but that is a conversation for another day. So, we only have Comcast’s Performance Starter internet service with NO subscription to Xfinity TV, Voice, or Home, NO Bundle, NO Comcast Cable Box, and NO Contract. Here’s a list of JUNK FEES WE DON’T PAY and you can avoid them too:

• HD DVR Rental and Service Fees

• Federal Excise Taxes

• Gross Receipts Taxes

• State and Local Sales Taxes

• Utility or Communications Services Taxes

WHEW! As you can see, Comcast will nickel and dime you to death. Not only did we want to avoid paying these junk fees but we were really sick of paying triple-digit monthly bills as well as suffering through commercials that were taking up nearly 1/3 of every viewing hour. Performance Starter allows us to enjoy a FAR SUPERIOR VIEWING EXPERIENCE than we ever had with Comcast TV at a fraction of what we paid in the past. As cord-cutters, we use a streaming device (Roku, Apple TV, and Google Chromecast are the more popular ones with the Amazon Fire TV being the most recent) for all of our TV viewing including news, TV shows, and movies as well as music. These streaming devices render Comcast’s Cable Box obsolete as well as their TV offerings and I have fond memories dumping off their cable box at our local Comcast service center – much to their displeasure. The news we watch now is far better than anything we ever had on Comcast TV and, thanks to Netflix, YouTube, as well as Amazon (which recently added older HBO shows to their streaming catalog), we can now watch commercial-free TV and movies. In retrospect, I think it has been years since we have watched any commercials at all. If you cannot do without basic network TV, you could install an OTA antenna and possibly get many HD channels for free depending on your position relative to the broadcast towers. Even though we receive basic network TV for free, we never watch it as the streaming alternatives are just so far superior. I should say, however, that it took some time to adjust to watching in this way as we had been so conditioned to think that it really wasn’t “TV” unless you are continually bombarded by commercials. It’s certainly a welcome change for us to be able to watch what we want, when we want, where we want, on our TV or whatever other device we want, rather being constrained by Comcast’s TV schedule and limited by their offerings. We used to watch Comcast’s On Demand movies but when we cross-checked them against IMDb, we found that they rated quite poorly, whereas Netflix and Amazon have amazing catalogs of great content. Even with heavy TV viewing in HD, we never go over 200 GB/month but I should say we are generally a hardwired single video stream household. Although Comcast recently suspended their 250 monthly GB bandwidth cap, they are raising it to 300 GB/month in selected service areas. While it doesn’t affect us, if you are running multiple video streams at the same time within your household, you could experience some congestion and you might be subject to a $10 charge for every 50 GB you exceed the 300 GB cap. Essentially, this is just a money grab by Comcast but even with the overages this may still be cheaper when compared to Comcast’s standard service packages. Also, never ever rent a cable modem from Comcast if you can avoid it. Purchasing one can pay for itself in less than a year. Last but not least, if you have a bundle that includes Xfinity Voice, try Republic Wireless for your phone and drop Xfinity Voice as well as your landline. Republic Wireless’s smartphone is really worth considering particularly if you feel you are also being fleeced by Big Cell.

In the past when we bundled services, it was easy for Comcast to bamboozle us with their underhanded pricing shenanigans but not anymore. Bundling Comcast services, it turns out, is probably not in your best interest particularly when you consider other options like the one I mentioned above. We found Comcast’s Performance Starter single play is a simple way to lower your bill, improve your viewing experience, and manage the cost of their service. It is really like a double play (since you can get TV entertainment as well as internet) but you only pay for a single play and it is not just for new subscribers – everyone is eligible! By using a streaming device with Comcast’s Performance Starter it is quite easy to drop Comcast TV with its obnoxious commercials and ridiculous pricing. Comcast, however, will do just about anything to keep you from cancelling your TV subscription. First, they will try to discourage video streaming by saying that Performance Starter is not fast enough to stream video in HD but don’t believe them - it is more than adequate for all our HD viewing as well as VoIP and internet use. Next, they will try to upsell you with a temporary offer for additional overpriced services but don’t fall for it - you will just be shell-shocked when the prices revert back to normal. Comcast’s latest scheme is to say that internet alone would cost more than internet and TV together. Be very wary of this ploy as you need to factor in all applicable junk fees I noted above in order to really determine if it is, in fact, a better deal. I’d also be leery of Comcast’s VISA gift card sales tactic as there are a ton of complaints about it. Lastly, they may even send you to their retention department to dissuade you from changing your service plan but just stand firm and insist on Performance Starter and NOTHING MORE. We automatically pay the bill each month with our credit card and so rarely need to contact the company (it’s been years). This makes life easier as reports in the Comcast forum indicate that customer service is an absolute nightmare. Once you have completed this change, Comcast will step-up their sales calls with offers to entice you to increase your services but just ignore them. All of this is really not that hard to implement or acclimate to and will pay off in spades.

Lastly, maybe we could get better prices and speeds if the U.S. Department of Justice initiated an antitrust lawsuit and broke up this monopoly like they did against AT&T in the 1970's or at least reclassify them under Title II as a common carrier as then the FCC can order ISPs to offer their internet lines to other companies, thus increasing competition.

member for 2.8 years, 519 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

jlatimer

@comcast.net

Competition is necessary

While I agree that competition is necessary, Comcast is not at fault in this regard. Building and maintaining the infrastructure necessary to support telecommunications is not cheap, if it were, you would see a lot more competition out there. Just like you don't see car manufacturers popping up every day, you don't see telecom providers popping up.

If you want to see more competition start at the source, the manufacturers of fiber and network communication equipment, and the content owners such as ESPN and others charging an arm and a leg for their service and requiring it to be on basic tiers of service.
wchillman

join:2011-11-20
Gig Harbor, WA

Re: Competition is necessary

I overpay these clowns for sub-par speeds while the executives collect their multi-million dollar salaries. Comcast in particular and the cable monopoly in general is at fault. Here is the solution:

»billmoyers.com/segment/susan-cra···-unfair/
Beck38

join:2014-05-12
Mukilteo, WA

Look to the East (in Washington State)

PUD (Public Utility District) built fiber, with multiple TV/Phone/Internet providers (gee, sounds like what the FCC originally tried to do with telco years back) is going gangbusters in eastern Washington State. Speeds to Gigabit, no caps, pricing half or better than either Comcast OR Frontier FIOS, and with regulated electric rates 1/3rd that of us in the 'western' half (no Enron and FERC controlling it there) and no hyper-inflated housing market on top of all that.

I'm out as soon as I can get all the ducks in order (sell the house, etc), but I'm retired so have the option.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
·DIRECTV

Tell the FCC

said by wchillman:

"We need to reclassify them as a common carrier."

quote:
The FCC has asked for public comment on new rules about net neutrality.
Use this form to submit a comment to the FCC - »dearfcc.org/

Eastern Washington State

Beck 38 - You are absolutely right! The 509 is the way to go. Spokane electric rates and communications are still similar to Seattle, but Central Washington has got it all. The Grand Coulee dam (one of the biggest hydroelectric generation stations in the world) is bordered on both Grant and Douglas counties. The Grand Coulee along with many other dams are owned by the utilities themselves, which enables them to provide cheap power, as they do not need to go through the federal government. Google and Yahoo have migrated there for their server farms, bringing the speed along with them.

Across the Columbia from East Wenatchee - Chelan County - has their own fiber - to - house lines. Unlike 'FIOS', these are NOT owned by a corporation - but the power company, meaning you have the freedom to choose any provider you want.

My friend has Local Tel - Probably the most efficient, well priced, and awesome broadband provider I've seen. The internet is run straight Ethernet to the ONT, it uses PPPoE so make sure you keep your login and password if you need to configure your router. The phone is connected like a regular POTS directly to the ONT. And finally, the TV coax is not used by 'cable modems' like FIOS, allowing STELLAR quality TV, and, since the ONT is addressed not the box, many channels can be received with the TV's built-in tuner, allowing a much less cluttered entertainment system. Long live LocalTel!
Beck38

join:2014-05-12
Mukilteo, WA

Re: Eastern Washington State

said by filter4ever:

Actually, no, the Grand Coulee is a Federal Dam, part of the BPA (Bonneville Power Administration). Those county PUD's in eastern Washington actually DO own their own dams (for instance, Chelan PUD owns Rocky Reach as well as another I don't recall off the top of my head) which is why they are so low.

Other PUD's in Wash. St. that rely on the BPA too much (Snohomish is a good example which gets 90% of it's power from the BPA) are at the beck and call of Enron (and which initiated the original investigations of Enron) . Seattle City Light also owns a sizable part of it's own generating capacity, most notably the Boundary Dam on the Pend Oreille River in northeastern Washington state.

But it all comes down to FERC, which is packed with Republicans and which refuses to go after the Enron contracts.

Comcast / XFinity Troubleshooting

As this is a rather long post, many of the following procedures are in-depth and require some technical knowledge and tools - proceed at your own risk!

As a 10 year customer, I know Comcast is one of the best services you can get, in terms of speed, latency, technology, and quality of service. I do not watch much TV, and have a Cell phone, but their internet is second only to LocalTel - a small internet provider in Wenatchee, WA and central Washington over PUD owned fiber lines.

I do however, have extensive knowledge of how their system works, and how to troubleshoot it. I am neutral as I am not a sales person trying to push service, I am only telling my experience.

Now a days, Comcast is mostly doing SIK (Self Install Kits), where you simply plug in the equipment. They will even ship the equipment out to you, which makes it convenient. Without a tech though, you, and the rep on the phone, have no way of knowing whether there is even cable signal to the house, or if the cable there is from 1983 when CATV was first deployed in your area. At that time they never dreamed of Internet and hence did not design the system for such services. I have seen friends that were trying to hook up cable, and there wasn't even cable going to the outlet they were trying to hook up.

Remember, the service will only work if it is installed RIGHT. I will tell you a few tips on how to troubleshoot your own cable, so you can have the service that you pay for.

If your TV breaks up into little squares, this is caused by interference, or ingress. This is the root of many problems with all 3 services, TV, Internet, and Telephone.

First, turn the box off and press "OK", this will bring you to a blue menu. Check the "OOB", make sure SNR is 'GOOD' (over 20dB). Next check "Inband Status" - This will show the quality of the channel you are on. Make sure the SNR is 'GOOD' (over 34 and not many errors), and "Upstream Status" - make sure it's not over 60dB. If OnDemand doesn't work, check "Interactive Status", make sure it has an IP address. If it does not, wait a few minutes.

If these are all 'OK', call Comcast (1-800-Comcast), and tell them to send a 'HIT' to your box. If you aren't even getting the guide, ask for an 'INT HIT', which will refresh the EEPROM on the box.

If you aren't getting anything at all, there is most likely no connection between the box and the tap (up on the pole or in the ground). Check the cable going to the wall make sure it's not of low quality and loose. If it's not, take the plate off (if you can, on most internally wired houses. Externally you cant). Often somewhere you will find a 'crappy looking' connection. There's your problem. If there is nothing connected to it at all, well, there's your problem. If there is a bad connection or no cable, call for a tech install and tell them what's wrong.

This work CAN be done yourself, but you need special strippers, crimpers, and fittings. Make sure they are of the COMPRESSION type and the splitters are rated at 1GHz. Also, make sure the cable you use is of the RG-6 type, and the fittings are put on properly (there should be no braid hanging out of the back, and the white (dielectric) should be FLUSH with the front of the fitting. Look up how to put a fitting on Google should be of some help. Make sure that you do not split one signal of another, off another (daisy chain). This will degrade the signal by half every time you split. If you are prewiring your house for remodel, consider putting in a Leviton 'Smart Panel', running all your outlets to a central location and splitting/amplifying them there. Above all, DO NOT splice a cable behind drywall where it cannot be accessed. This will make it impossible for a Comcast tech or yourself to troubleshoot in the future.

For internet problems, the number one problem is your router not receiving the correct IP address, most likely due to activation on a wired computer and then plugging in a WiFi router. Remember to unplug the cable modem, plug it back in, wait for it to synchronize (Power, Downstream, Upstream, and Online lights all solid).

For other signal problems such as getting kicked up randomly and slow service, make sure your modem is hooked up and go to »192.168.100.1 and go to 'Signal'. Look at the 'Downstream Status' - should be between -10dB and 10dB. Next 'Upstream Status' - should be between 20 and 54dB. Finally, look at the downstream 'SNR', this should be 33dB and above. The best speed test for the internet I use is »www.speedtest.net.

The main problems I've seen with a phone is when you plug a fax machine in, line 1 is shorted to line 2. Make sure to use a cable that has only 2 gold contacts (1 pair) to connect to the EMTA. Other than that, the problems with the telephone are with the same equipment as the internet.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of miscommunication between the customer and the rep which causes a lot of negative feelings towards Comcast. If you need any work done, such as a 'drop' (line from the street to your house) run, additional outlets installed, through a brick house etc. make sure you provide the rep with as much details as possible, as they schedule the amount of time the tech has with you based on what you order. After that allotted slot, he/she will have another job in the same slot (8-10 AM for example). It is also usually one person who comes out, unless they can get help from other techs on a large job or one that requires special equipment.

I do not watch TV, only the local channels. If you are getting internet, I recommend getting "Limited Cable" along with it (if you are not getting phone), as you get a $10 discount for having multiple services, so the net cost is about $5/mo with the box and all that.

Their internet is very fast, as they have their own "backbone" which minimizes latency (i.e. if you do a tracert, you will see it hop through Comcast's network to the least busy node and to Google, etc). The download and upload speeds in my area are excellent, 25 MBPS down and 6MBPS up. No other service, DSL or other, can get closer than 1/4 that speed.

Their telephone service is of excellent quality, I know because I hooked up a dial-up modem to CDV and it locked at 52.6KBPS (The maximum allowable dial-up speed), over VOIP.

Hopefully this will help many perplexed customers, some procedures will require tech-savvy knowledge. I am not affiliated with Comcast, and am not responsible for anything that may arise. If in doubt call Comcast and provide them with as much as you know, is my best advice.

Re: Comcast / XFinity Troubleshooting

A couple things I forgot to mention. When hooking up a router: unplug the cable modem first (from power, plug the Ethernet to the router in, plug the cable modem power back in with the Coax and Ethernet connected), wait for all 4 lights to be solid, and then plug in your router. If you have phone, there is a little hole on the back of the EMTA (combo VOIP modem) that says "RESET". If you plug in the router without resetting, it will get the 192.xxx.xxx.xxx private IP from the offline modem, and you will not be able to get online.

If the modem gets stuck at the "Upstream" light, chances are there is a filter on the line that they used to put on in order to keep noise from entering the network. If you find one around on your line, it needs to be removed. If you are not receiving all your channels there also may be a filter on the line. You may find one around your house but chances are they will be on the pole or lockbox. However, there is another type of filter that is used if you have an Anyroom or MoCa DVR. Call Comcast and have them swing by and take it off. This is an easy fix and will save you the trouble of having to stay home for service, and you may not even have to pay a fee.

Finally, I recommend purchasing your own modem or EMTA. Look under »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net for compatible equipment. In my area the rental fees are $8/mo (for a modem) plus tax. A $100 modem will pay for itself in a year. An EMTA costs around $160. These are very particular, make sure you get the compatible model number.

Review by asalamon See Profile

• Location: Bethesda,Montgomery,MD
Good "Awesome Internet & TV"
Overall "Happy I switched from FIOS!"

Comcast Xfinity X1 platform is great. The first time since the original Tivo box came out that I haven't been disappointed with guide. Internet is reliable and Netflix works great (which was constantly buffering on Fios).

Comments:

Review by Coelispex See Profile

• Location: Wilmette,Cook,IL
Good "Great connection and uptime. I love it!"
Bad "Awful tech and customer support. Horrendous internal communication within the company"
Overall "So far so good."

On June 20, 2013, I decided to switch to a Double Play (Internet + TV) called "Blast Plus" promotion; basically you get Blast Trier HSI + Digital Economy (~45 channels). This promotion is for 6 months $69.99 then $79.95 after (this excludes state taxes, FCC fees, franchise fees, other government taxes). This promotion is not under contract or any agreements attached. I used my own equipment - Motorola SB6141 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 instead of paying for an extra $7/month for rental fees.

Screenshot of the Digital Economy channel line up:
»i.imgur.com/J3vNfk3.png

How was the order & install process?
Somewhat sketchy. One chat analyst told that me that my service address is fine for self-installation ($9.95). Another told me that my cable isn't installed by the tap and needs professional installation ($32.99). What a load of B.S. I had been using an existing Comcast TV service so a there was no need for a professional installation; BS I tell you. I disconnected and started a new one. The new analyst was more experienced; he had to manually remove my existing order and replaced with a completely new one (with a service discount for the promotional offer pricing) "6 months $69.99 then $79.95 after"; the analyst had to do it manually. The order process took around 40 minutes. In the end, he told me to wait for the self-installation kit to arrive in 3-5 days. I didn't want to wait that long. So the minute after I talked with the chat, I immediately connected my coaxial cable from my 2-way splitter to my SB6141 modem, started the activation service online (AKA the walled garden - took about 10 minutes). BAM! Got Blast! Internet up and running on the same hour. (I didn't have to wait for my self-install kit to arrive at all).

My first speedtest (5 minutes after initial order on chat and after modem activation) -- »www.speedtest.net/result/2784965199.png

Overall, I can say that I'm very happy, satisfied customer

I will update this review periodically.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------

UPDATE 10/4/13 -- For the past 5 months, there has been about ~4 outages, lasting less than 3 hours. This is probably due to severe weather in my area (flooding, heavy rain, thunderstorm etc) But my speed has increased by 1-2 Mbps more »stage.results.speedtest.comcast.···8864.png

UPDATE 10/18/13 -- Bad news: A 3 hour outage today. Good news: My upstream power level came down from 49-45 to 37-35 dBmV.

UPDATE 1/1/14 -- The new pricing for Blast Plus is now $82.95 regular non-promotional instead of the $79.95.

UPDATE 3/03/14 -- On March 3, 2014, I had a free upgrade from Blast! Internet to Extreme 105 for free of charge. I didn't have to pay a dime. Really awesome! Twice the upload speed and double the download, it great! See new bill »i.imgur.com/xMAyK7I.png

UPDATE 5/16/14 -- Fixed some grammar and typos. My Blast 105 has been consistent. So far so good. I'm a happy camper. Speedtest -- »www.speedtest.net/result/3494680184.png

UPDATE 6/12/14 -- Everything is going great. I wish it was cheaper though. I'm paying $89.27 per month regularly normal non-promotional (including all taxes and fees).

UPDATE 8/29/14 -- Comcast introduced a new fee to all customers called "Broadcast TV Fee", I'm sure you all heard of it. $1.50. Now my new bill is $90.87/monthly. Great. Thanks Comcast.

UPDATE 9/25/14 -- New updated speed from 121/23 to 126/24.

member for 1.3 years, 475 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by grod46 See Profile

• Location: Firebaugh,Fresno,CA
Good "Great Speeds and Great support from local center and Non overseas support"
Bad "Install fees"
Overall "if you want fast speeds i would highly recommend comcast "

Ordered online and got next day installation, the technician was very kind and helpful, replaced all the cable from the tap all the way to each of the individual rooms, the gateway is okay at best, would highly recommend getting your own modem and router unless your getting VoIP from comcast.I currently have the X1 Double play with one X1 DVR (free for 1 year) and 3 Companion X1 HD Boxes, Blast 105 (upgraded from Blast 50) and have a Owned Moto SB6141.

member for 1.8 years, 324 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Rob See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Fast Speeds, Always Up, Great Techs"
Bad "Price, Bad Reputation"
Overall "Good Speeds, but price could be better."

Great service. No complaints except for price.

member for 13.1 years, 6550 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by FarmerBob See Profile

• Location: Littleton,Arapahoe,CO
Good "It's there when I need it and has performed admirably since install (until Spring 2013 Increase) . . ."
Bad "Nothing just yet. And hoping nothing later . . . Spoke too soon . . ."
Overall "When needing to flee from CenturyLink, these guys stepped up. Tripped, stumbled, stepped up, tripped again . . . getting there."

·EarthLink
·ViaTalk
09/18/14

As directed I called back to the Exec CSR dept to "review" options on another years pricing and once again could not get a hold of my rep that told me to call back. So I left a message on the main line and got a call back from my, yet another, new CSR (number 9, I think). He was and has been reachable and quite attentive (and promises to be so forever on) to what I need. Although since I couldn't get a hold of anyone, and needed to get things resolved since I had a standing bill with the new rebound pricing, I called retention and got an OK deal after being told that the one I had could not be had anymore. But I did end up with triple the speed, 20/5 to 60/10 for $20 more a month. Now either the increase in speed put me in a slot that is more reliable or they are really cleaning things for another speed increase that I was told was in the works for my area. Of which I was told I would be getting another speed bump in a couple of months when the capability is rolled out in my area. So far things are better at the new speed. I think the slower speeds have inherent issues that the faster tiers don't. So for the most part I am happy. Although I would have been happier at the slower speed and lower pricing. AND at the lower pricing I was content to rent the modem. They were doing me a bit of a favor so I thought I would do them one and help add to the $300 Million rental pile. Now that it's increased, it's time to buy a modem.

Update: 10/11/13:

Well for the first 18 months, not counting the billing issues that finally got fixed by ExecCSR #2, it was great. But since the "Speed Increase" in the Spring of 2013, it's been a bit of a nightmare. My speed and solidarity hit the floor when it was suppose to be increased. I am now on my 7th ExecCSR who I have only heard from once after leaving 6 VMs, so I guess it's on to number 8. Tracking speed graphs from the best speed test site SpeedOf.me looks like a child bouncing a ball on the floor. I had a personal Tech Rep that in the beginning first said that it was all on my end until I told him to look up my last tech visit, which the tech that came out got pissed off because everything was perfect, if not better. He sad that we were wasting his time when he could be helping someone that really needed help. I didn't ask for him ECSR #4 said one had to be dispatched to start the ball rolling. After checking this report my over the phone regional tech super, now says it's on their end, he'll check into it and call me back. And at that time my 18/3 speed was all I should expect he said. Needless to say, I never heard back from him.

I had 30/6 solid before they started jacking around with things. That was last April and I have not heard from anyone since. And when I try to call him, he is no longer at the ext that he gave me. I have been told the reason that I am on my 7th CSR and techs are not returning calls, is because their department has been so successful at solving problems that they were escalated to cover the whole country instead of my particular region. Or so the dept head told me. Then she said I'd be hearing from another ESCR and I have yet to. This was last June. The day we buried my father (July 18th), what macabre milestone, my speed went back to 30/6 and has been all over the as the speed graphs show. But over the past couple of weeks things are leavening off at 30/6. Still a bit rocky and not a solid as it was. Good traffic happens with a solid connection, not speed. Speed is just an illusion that they use to make you think you got it good. WRONG. And their Flash or JAVA based speed tests can be "rigged". Use SpeedOf.me for a clean HTML5 test. Of which shows I have a faster connection than the new IPv4 & 6 test Comcast is using now. So day by day I watch and wait, when I use to just cruise along. We'll have to see what happens next. Oh and if you have a good connection, relish it and do not take it for granted. It may be gone tomorrow.

12/19/11:

First, my sales rep was great. I had an old eMail address for a manager that I worked with on a business install that was no longer with the company. But the eMail I sent was properly forwarded and I was contacted with no further effort on my part. She was right there with the info I needed and instantly took care of any weirdness or complications. Hurdle number one cleared easily.

So . . . It's been a little over a week since install. I wanted to give it a couple days for both me and the service to settle in a bit. I had to postpone a couple of times, weather issues. I wanted the installers not to have to deal with snow. Postponing was easy and there were no issues nor people getting perturbed about it and their electronic system keep accurate pace with all the changes. Once up and running, speed is great. 3X faster down, 6X faster up at a quarter of the price. Two Techs were dispatched, although only one was needed, but it made the install a lot faster. AND unlike "certain satellite installers", these guys were not afraid to go up on the roof and get things done as needed. It makes a big difference. These guys were sharp, confident and considerate. They worked with me as if I was their direct superior making it a team effort where all my wishes and concerns were addressed and I got an install the way it should be. Haven't seen that kind of interaction in a long while. Quite refreshing.

Price. Although I'm in a promo period, even when it's over I'll still have faster service at a cheaper price. And from what I am seeing, Xfinity is stepping up and are making it very desirable to migrate from CenturyLink. I have been a member of these forums for a long time and know that there is good information here. What I have been seeing is a dynamic switch in reviews and customer experiences with the market absorbing Qwest/CenturyLink on a far more negative level than I have ever seen for any provider of any kind of service. And Comcast rising nicely. Which made it easier for me to migrate. Mostly on a "mental comfort" level.

So far all is good and I am confident that it will stay that way. If not, I'll be right back and let you know.

Thanks to all involved that has made this so painless and hassle free that I'm not really noticing that I have new service, other than the great speed and stability that is making my life so much better. Oh, but that constantly flashing LAN light on the modem is making me nuts. I'm use to DSL flashing only when there is traffic.

Oh I forgot: I was hoping to get a Surfboard (SB)6120 or 21 as the rental so I could try it out so when it came time to buy one I'd had have experience with it. Since it's one of the #1 cited out there and given three stars on the Comcast modem page. But I was given a Ubee (never heard of it before) DDM3513 instead being told that it's their latest and greatest. So that started me on a night of investigation on my new service. I found the Ubee is one of the better and also found that my service can handle a better level of modem. That being a Zoom 5341J that I would have never known about if I didn't have to surf. So in the long run I won't be staying with the Ubee, but won't be going with my prime choice of the SB either.

member for 13.7 years, 1561 visits, last login: a few hours ago