Review by wbrightfl See Profile

• Location: Orlando,Orange,FL
Good "Internet worked well. Consistently received more than the speed package. 20 mps upload excellent."
Bad "Cable TV X1 service poor in comparison to my local Brighthouse TV service. Poor HD channel selection"
Overall "Excellent Internet, Poor TV Service"

·Bright House Net..
I have Brighthouse in Orlando, Florida and happy with the quality of the internet service, their digital TV service is excellent, great on-screen guide and plenty of HD channels. The only negative with BH is the growing number of fees and they keep going up.

A Comcast salesman came to more door and I did talk to him and he was so convincing how great Comcast was I listened and he offered me a great offer of the Digital Preferred Video and Blast! Internet XF Double Play: 2 Year Agreement with $75 Prepaid Card

View summary for Agreement 1: Digital Preferred Video 220 channels and Blast! Internet XF Double Play: 2 Year Agreement with $75 Prepaid Card, Extreme 105 Internet Upgrade: 2 Year Agreement with a 30 day money back guarantee. This brought my cable/internet bill to $24 less than Brighthouse so I accepted and scheduled the install. I did not cancel BH as I wanted to compare the two providers.

The Comcast installer showed up on time and was thorough in training me on the equipment. The internet speeds were consistently at or above the package, so I give Comcast internet for Orlando high marks. Now on to the cable TV service. I was given the new X1 whole house DVR system. It sucks! The on-screen guide is difficult to read. Black background with small font white or grey letters. The guide only shows 5 channels at one time to view listings. The system lags when changing channels. On demand menu is not well laid out. You have to click through too many menus and options to get where you are going. Next I noticed that 6 of the channels I regularly watch were not in HD. BH had them in HD for years, but not Comcast. Once you watch HD for a while its hard to go back to SD and enjoy it.

I have now tried Comcast for one week. Tomorrow I am taking their equipment back to my local office and cancelling, using the 30 day guarantee. My Brighthouse equipment is already plugged back in and working well.

Bottom line: Comcast Orlando Internet excellent. TV service pales in comparison to Brighthouse. Once they improve their HD channel offering and develop a good on-screen guide they will be able to compete with BH locally.

member for 10.6 years, 1056 visits, last login: a few hours ago
lodged a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by blueseas See Profile

• Location: Antioch,Lake,IL
Good "Speeds are fantastics. Comcast just keeps raising them!"
Bad "It would be nice if Comcast was more open to customer owned EMTAs. "
Overall "Decent value"

I'm running a Triple Play/Digital Starter. Previously I just had Internet services with my own modem.
I had an intermittent issue that took 4 techs to resolve - finally the last one actually went up on the pole and saw the damaged cable. So issue resolution can be tricky at times- it all depends on the tech.

Comcast has been doing a great job - IPv6, speed increases every few years. Go Comcast!

3/5/2015- I renewed for a 2y contract at the Triple Play/Digital Preferred. No DVR but we do have the HD box service. Things still look well although I'm thinking about buying my own EMTA.

member for 1.1 years, 125 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Jerkface See Profile

• Location: Hackettstown,Warren,NJ
Good "Decent Promotional Value"
Bad "Packet Forging, Customer Service, etc"
Overall "High Price, One of only a few options."

Before i start, i have to let you know that i was "borrowing" internet for awhile since i live relatively close to a main street in my small town. God bless cantennas.

Anyway, i got xbox live from santa this year and i couldn't rely on other peoples wireless internet connections to fuel my need for internet. Need? Make that thirst. I picked up my start up package from the comcast CO and right away i was connected and ready to go. I've had a few disconnects now and again from comcast, but that may be because of my living situation. I live in a 100 year old building (thats falling apart mind you) and god only knows how my wires are set up past my splitter in my 3 story loft apartment building.

Ok now heres the funny part. I asked the comcast CSR rep about my bill because i thought i was being billed incorrectly. Supposedly, i am paying for the 6mb plan with CC and i am receiving speeds of 17/2mb speeds. I asked if this was with powerboost, but i was informed that he read those speeds directly off of the modem and that speeds were constant. Being a DSLR frequent reader, i know that CC only offers 6mb, 8mb and 16mb. So im still confused.

Oh well, if CC ever goes to hell, i can still rock my cantenna.

Edit: Comcast HSI did indeed go to crap. I moved almost a block down the street and HSI lags out so im dumping CC and im getting Verizon Online DSL. Hopefully when its available, i can get FiOS when it gets here...

member for 9.7 years, 395 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by wchillman See Profile

• Location: Gig Harbor,Pierce,WA
Good "Performance STARTER is all that a cord-cutter needs."
Bad "That said, it still feels like extortion."
Overall "With Title II reclassification, the FCC needs to order ISPs to lease their lines to competition and enact rate regulation."

The most common complaints in the Comcast forums fall into three areas: overpriced plans, continual price increases, and poor customer service. Our way to deal with these complaints is to apply the KISS principle and follow three essential cardinal rules:

1. NEVER bundle

2. AVOID all TV packages

3. MINIMIZE contact with the company

By keeping things this simple, it is nearly impossible for Comcast to pull any monkey business. This may sound counterintuitive but we now get GREAT ENTERTAINMENT AS WELL AS INTERNET for LESS THAN 50 BUCKS A MONTH with no junk fees! Not only that, we watch it in high definition without renting any Comcast cable box or paying any stupid HD Technology Fee or Broadcast TV Fee! If that’s not good enough, there are also little to no commercials! It really affords a value proposition that Comcast just can’t match. Read on if you are interested.

You may not know this but in 2012, Comcast was ordered by the FCC to offer a stand-alone broadband service with a download speed of at least 6 mbps at a price no greater than $49.95 per month. This speed tier is called Performance Starter. As recent retirees on a fixed income, we opted for this service as the monthly charge is fixed at $49.95 with no other taxes, charges or fees. Although the order has expired, as far as I know, Comcast continues to offer this speed tier at the stated price. However, even at this price it still feels like extortion but that is a conversation for another day. So, we only have Comcast’s Performance Starter internet service with NO subscription to Xfinity TV, Voice, or Home, NO Bundle, NO Comcast Cable Box, and NO Contract. Here’s a list of JUNK FEES WE DON’T PAY and you can avoid them too:

• HD DVR Rental and Service Fees • HD Technology Fees • Digital Adaptor Fees • Digital Outlet Fees • Digital Access Fees • Additional Outlet Fees • Anyroom DVR Service Fees • Broadcast TV Fees • Sports Entertainment Fees • Blast or Boost Fees • Converter Fees • Premium Channel Fees • On Demand Fees • Pay-Per-View Fees • Streampix Fees • CableCard Fees • Remote Control Fees • Regional Sports Fees • Regulatory Recovery Fees • FCC Fees • CHSI Transfer/Restart Fees • PEG Access Fees • I-Net Fees • Public Access Fees • Network Support Fees • City Amusement Fees • Franchise Fees • State Assessment Fees • Convenience Fees • Electronic Change Fees • Electronic Charge Fees • Transaction Fees • Enrollment Fees • Reactivation Fees • Early Termination Fees • Protection Plan Fees • Rights of Way Use Fees • Voice/Data Modem Rental Fees • Wireless Gateway Fees • State Cost Recovery Charges • State, City, & County Sales Tax • Universal Connectivity Charges • Federal Excise Taxes • Gross Receipts Taxes • Utility or Communications Services Taxes

As you can see, Comcast will nickel and dime you to death. Unsurprisingly, the more you bundle, the more of these fees Comcast will tack on to your bill. Not only did we want to avoid paying these junk fees but we were really sick of paying triple-digit monthly bills as well as suffering through commercials that were taking up nearly 1/3 of every viewing hour. We now stream video over the internet with Comcast’s Performance Starter. Using Comcast in this way (as a dumb pipe) turns out to be the most cost effective way of utilizing their service. It allows us a FAR SUPERIOR VIEWING EXPERIENCE than we ever had with Comcast TV at a fraction of what we paid in the past. As cord-cutters, we use a streaming device (Roku, Apple TV, Google’s Chromecast, and Amazon’s Fire Stick are the more popular ones) for all of our TV viewing including news, TV shows, and movies as well as music. These streaming devices render Comcast’s Cable Box obsolete as well as their TV offerings and I have fond memories dumping off their box at our local Comcast service center – much to their displeasure. The news we watch now is far better than anything we ever had on Comcast TV and, thanks to Netflix, YouTube, as well as Amazon (which recently added older HBO shows to their streaming catalog), we can now watch commercial-free TV and movies.

I should say, however, that it took some time to adjust to watching this way as we had been so conditioned to think that it really wasn’t “TV” unless you are continually bombarded by commercials. Watching commercial-free TV like this has been one of the unexpected joys of this transition to streaming video over the internet. If you cannot do without basic network TV, you could install an OTA antenna and possibly get many HD channels for free depending on your position relative to the broadcast towers. Even though we receive basic network TV for free, we never watch it primarily because of the commercials (it’s been years since we’ve watched any) but also because the streaming alternatives are just so far superior. It’s certainly a welcome change now for us to be able to watch what we want, when we want, where we want, on our TV or whatever other device we want, rather being constrained by Comcast’s TV schedule and limited by their offerings.

We used to watch Comcast’s On Demand movies but when we cross-checked them against IMDb, we found that they rated quite poorly, whereas Netflix and Amazon have amazing catalogs of great content. Although Comcast recently suspended their 250 monthly GB bandwidth cap, they are raising it to 300 GB/month in selected service areas. We watch a ton of HD TV and rarely go over 200 GB/month but I should say that we are a hardwired single video stream household. While it doesn’t affect us, if you are running multiple video streams simultaneously within your household, you could experience some congestion and might be subject to a $10 charge for every 50 GB you exceed the 300 GB cap. Essentially, this is just a money grab by Comcast but even with any overages this may still cost less than Comcast’s standard packages. Also, NEVER EVER rent a cable modem from Comcast if you can avoid it. Purchasing one can pay for itself in less than a year. Last but not least, if you have a bundle that includes Xfinity Voice, try Republic Wireless for your phone and drop Xfinity Voice as well as your landline. Republic Wireless’s smartphone is really worth considering, particularly if you feel you are also being fleeced by Big Cell.

In the past when we bundled services, it was easy for Comcast to bamboozle us with their underhanded pricing shenanigans but not anymore. Bundling Comcast services, it turns out, is probably not in your best interest particularly when you consider other options like the one I mentioned above. We found Comcast’s Performance Starter single play to be a simple way to lower your bill, improve your viewing experience, and manage the cost of their service. It is really like a double play (since you can get TV entertainment as well as internet) but you only pay for a single play and it is not just for new subscribers – everyone is eligible! By using a streaming device with Comcast’s Performance Starter it is quite easy to drop Comcast TV with its obnoxious commercials and ridiculous pricing.

Comcast, however, will do just about anything to keep you from reducing your services. Initially, they will tell you that Performance Starter is not fast enough to stream video in HD but don’t believe them - it is more than adequate for all our HD viewing as well as VoIP and internet use. Next, they will try to upsell you with a promotional offer for additional overpriced services. Be very careful here as you can get locked into a two-year contract wherein the reduced price is only guaranteed for the first year (if that) - to say nothing of being shell-shocked when prices revert back to normal. Comcast’s latest scheme is to say that internet alone would cost more than internet and TV together. Be extremely wary of this ploy as you need to factor in ALL APPLICABLE JUNK FEES noted above in order to really determine if it is, in fact, a better deal. I’d also be leery of Comcast’s VISA gift card sales tactic as there are a ton of complaints about it in the forums. Lastly, they may even send you to their retention department to dissuade you from changing your service plan but just stand firm and insist on Performance Starter and NOTHING MORE.

We automatically pay the bill each month with our credit card and so rarely need to contact the company (it’s been years). This makes life easier as reports in the Comcast forums indicate that customer service is an absolute nightmare. Not only that, reducing your contacts with Comcast will eliminate opportunities for them to dupe you into an upsell. Remember: Comcast employees are professional sales people whose mission is to get you to pay more for their services. Their proposal may sound like a good deal over the phone but when you receive your bill you may think otherwise. This is primarily due to all the undisclosed ancillary charges and junk fees that they will tack on to your bill. If your household is similar to ours or you are not a power user, why overspend on internet service? Is it just for bragging rights? Certainly, you could consider a contract-free promotion that bests this price but only a FOOL would pay Comcast more money than they need to. All of this is really not that hard to implement or acclimate to and will pay off in spades. If you have a question or find anything in this review helpful, please post a note in the comment section that follows or pass it on to others who could benefit from it.

member for 3.2 years, 759 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

jlatimer

@comcast.net

Competition is necessary

While I agree that competition is necessary, Comcast is not at fault in this regard. Building and maintaining the infrastructure necessary to support telecommunications is not cheap, if it were, you would see a lot more competition out there. Just like you don't see car manufacturers popping up every day, you don't see telecom providers popping up.

If you want to see more competition start at the source, the manufacturers of fiber and network communication equipment, and the content owners such as ESPN and others charging an arm and a leg for their service and requiring it to be on basic tiers of service.

Re: Competition is necessary

I overpay these clowns for sub-par speeds while the executives collect their multi-million dollar salaries. Comcast in particular and the cable monopoly in general is at fault. Here is the solution:

»billmoyers.com/segment/susan-cra ··· -unfair/
Beck38

join:2014-05-12
Mukilteo, WA

Look to the East (in Washington State)

PUD (Public Utility District) built fiber, with multiple TV/Phone/Internet providers (gee, sounds like what the FCC originally tried to do with telco years back) is going gangbusters in eastern Washington State. Speeds to Gigabit, no caps, pricing half or better than either Comcast OR Frontier FIOS, and with regulated electric rates 1/3rd that of us in the 'western' half (no Enron and FERC controlling it there) and no hyper-inflated housing market on top of all that.

I'm out as soon as I can get all the ducks in order (sell the house, etc), but I'm retired so have the option.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
·DIRECTV

Tell the FCC

said by wchillman:

"We need to reclassify them as a common carrier."

quote:
The FCC has asked for public comment on new rules about net neutrality.
Use this form to submit a comment to the FCC - »dearfcc.org/

Eastern Washington State

Beck 38 - You are absolutely right! The 509 is the way to go. Spokane electric rates and communications are still similar to Seattle, but Central Washington has got it all. The Grand Coulee dam (one of the biggest hydroelectric generation stations in the world) is bordered on both Grant and Douglas counties. The Grand Coulee along with many other dams are owned by the utilities themselves, which enables them to provide cheap power, as they do not need to go through the federal government. Google and Yahoo have migrated there for their server farms, bringing the speed along with them.

Across the Columbia from East Wenatchee - Chelan County - has their own fiber - to - house lines. Unlike 'FIOS', these are NOT owned by a corporation - but the power company, meaning you have the freedom to choose any provider you want.

My friend has Local Tel - Probably the most efficient, well priced, and awesome broadband provider I've seen. The internet is run straight Ethernet to the ONT, it uses PPPoE so make sure you keep your login and password if you need to configure your router. The phone is connected like a regular POTS directly to the ONT. And finally, the TV coax is not used by 'cable modems' like FIOS, allowing STELLAR quality TV, and, since the ONT is addressed not the box, many channels can be received with the TV's built-in tuner, allowing a much less cluttered entertainment system. Long live LocalTel!
Beck38

join:2014-05-12
Mukilteo, WA

Re: Eastern Washington State

said by filter4ever:

Actually, no, the Grand Coulee is a Federal Dam, part of the BPA (Bonneville Power Administration). Those county PUD's in eastern Washington actually DO own their own dams (for instance, Chelan PUD owns Rocky Reach as well as another I don't recall off the top of my head) which is why they are so low.

Other PUD's in Wash. St. that rely on the BPA too much (Snohomish is a good example which gets 90% of it's power from the BPA) are at the beck and call of Enron (and which initiated the original investigations of Enron) . Seattle City Light also owns a sizable part of it's own generating capacity, most notably the Boundary Dam on the Pend Oreille River in northeastern Washington state.

But it all comes down to FERC, which is packed with Republicans and which refuses to go after the Enron contracts.

Comcast / XFinity Troubleshooting

As this is a rather long post, many of the following procedures are in-depth and require some technical knowledge and tools - proceed at your own risk!

As a 10 year customer, I know Comcast is one of the best services you can get, in terms of speed, latency, technology, and quality of service. I do not watch much TV, and have a Cell phone, but their internet is second only to LocalTel - a small internet provider in Wenatchee, WA and central Washington over PUD owned fiber lines.

I do however, have extensive knowledge of how their system works, and how to troubleshoot it. I am neutral as I am not a sales person trying to push service, I am only telling my experience.

Now a days, Comcast is mostly doing SIK (Self Install Kits), where you simply plug in the equipment. They will even ship the equipment out to you, which makes it convenient. Without a tech though, you, and the rep on the phone, have no way of knowing whether there is even cable signal to the house, or if the cable there is from 1983 when CATV was first deployed in your area. At that time they never dreamed of Internet and hence did not design the system for such services. I have seen friends that were trying to hook up cable, and there wasn't even cable going to the outlet they were trying to hook up.

Remember, the service will only work if it is installed RIGHT. I will tell you a few tips on how to troubleshoot your own cable, so you can have the service that you pay for.

If your TV breaks up into little squares, this is caused by interference, or ingress. This is the root of many problems with all 3 services, TV, Internet, and Telephone.

First, turn the box off and press "OK", this will bring you to a blue menu. Check the "OOB", make sure SNR is 'GOOD' (over 20dB). Next check "Inband Status" - This will show the quality of the channel you are on. Make sure the SNR is 'GOOD' (over 34 and not many errors), and "Upstream Status" - make sure it's not over 60dB. If OnDemand doesn't work, check "Interactive Status", make sure it has an IP address. If it does not, wait a few minutes.

If these are all 'OK', call Comcast (1-800-Comcast), and tell them to send a 'HIT' to your box. If you aren't even getting the guide, ask for an 'INT HIT', which will refresh the EEPROM on the box.

If you aren't getting anything at all, there is most likely no connection between the box and the tap (up on the pole or in the ground). Check the cable going to the wall make sure it's not of low quality and loose. If it's not, take the plate off (if you can, on most internally wired houses. Externally you cant). Often somewhere you will find a 'crappy looking' connection. There's your problem. If there is nothing connected to it at all, well, there's your problem. If there is a bad connection or no cable, call for a tech install and tell them what's wrong.

This work CAN be done yourself, but you need special strippers, crimpers, and fittings. Make sure they are of the COMPRESSION type and the splitters are rated at 1GHz. Also, make sure the cable you use is of the RG-6 type, and the fittings are put on properly (there should be no braid hanging out of the back, and the white (dielectric) should be FLUSH with the front of the fitting. Look up how to put a fitting on Google should be of some help. Make sure that you do not split one signal of another, off another (daisy chain). This will degrade the signal by half every time you split. If you are prewiring your house for remodel, consider putting in a Leviton 'Smart Panel', running all your outlets to a central location and splitting/amplifying them there. Above all, DO NOT splice a cable behind drywall where it cannot be accessed. This will make it impossible for a Comcast tech or yourself to troubleshoot in the future.

For internet problems, the number one problem is your router not receiving the correct IP address, most likely due to activation on a wired computer and then plugging in a WiFi router. Remember to unplug the cable modem, plug it back in, wait for it to synchronize (Power, Downstream, Upstream, and Online lights all solid).

For other signal problems such as getting kicked up randomly and slow service, make sure your modem is hooked up and go to »192.168.100.1 and go to 'Signal'. Look at the 'Downstream Status' - should be between -10dB and 10dB. Next 'Upstream Status' - should be between 20 and 54dB. Finally, look at the downstream 'SNR', this should be 33dB and above. The best speed test for the internet I use is »www.speedtest.net.

The main problems I've seen with a phone is when you plug a fax machine in, line 1 is shorted to line 2. Make sure to use a cable that has only 2 gold contacts (1 pair) to connect to the EMTA. Other than that, the problems with the telephone are with the same equipment as the internet.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of miscommunication between the customer and the rep which causes a lot of negative feelings towards Comcast. If you need any work done, such as a 'drop' (line from the street to your house) run, additional outlets installed, through a brick house etc. make sure you provide the rep with as much details as possible, as they schedule the amount of time the tech has with you based on what you order. After that allotted slot, he/she will have another job in the same slot (8-10 AM for example). It is also usually one person who comes out, unless they can get help from other techs on a large job or one that requires special equipment.

I do not watch TV, only the local channels. If you are getting internet, I recommend getting "Limited Cable" along with it (if you are not getting phone), as you get a $10 discount for having multiple services, so the net cost is about $5/mo with the box and all that.

Their internet is very fast, as they have their own "backbone" which minimizes latency (i.e. if you do a tracert, you will see it hop through Comcast's network to the least busy node and to Google, etc). The download and upload speeds in my area are excellent, 25 MBPS down and 6MBPS up. No other service, DSL or other, can get closer than 1/4 that speed.

Their telephone service is of excellent quality, I know because I hooked up a dial-up modem to CDV and it locked at 52.6KBPS (The maximum allowable dial-up speed), over VOIP.

Hopefully this will help many perplexed customers, some procedures will require tech-savvy knowledge. I am not affiliated with Comcast, and am not responsible for anything that may arise. If in doubt call Comcast and provide them with as much as you know, is my best advice.

Re: Comcast / XFinity Troubleshooting

A couple things I forgot to mention. When hooking up a router: unplug the cable modem first (from power, plug the Ethernet to the router in, plug the cable modem power back in with the Coax and Ethernet connected), wait for all 4 lights to be solid, and then plug in your router. If you have phone, there is a little hole on the back of the EMTA (combo VOIP modem) that says "RESET". If you plug in the router without resetting, it will get the 192.xxx.xxx.xxx private IP from the offline modem, and you will not be able to get online.

If the modem gets stuck at the "Upstream" light, chances are there is a filter on the line that they used to put on in order to keep noise from entering the network. If you find one around on your line, it needs to be removed. If you are not receiving all your channels there also may be a filter on the line. You may find one around your house but chances are they will be on the pole or lockbox. However, there is another type of filter that is used if you have an Anyroom or MoCa DVR. Call Comcast and have them swing by and take it off. This is an easy fix and will save you the trouble of having to stay home for service, and you may not even have to pay a fee.

Finally, I recommend purchasing your own modem or EMTA. Look under »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net for compatible equipment. In my area the rental fees are $8/mo (for a modem) plus tax. A $100 modem will pay for itself in a year. An EMTA costs around $160. These are very particular, make sure you get the compatible model number.

adiletante

@98.232.225.x

Performance Starter

I can't find anything about this locally (Oregon) -- is this still in effect. PS Comcast is the only game in town for high speed internet.

Re: Performance Starter

Comcast is the only viable option for high speed internet in our area too (Gig Harbor, WA). The FCC has required them to provide this 6/1 internet tier (Performance Starter) in ALL markets at a price point no greater than $49.95/month. If you can do better on a promotion, then you might want to consider that. They ABSOLUTELY have to provide it in Oregon too.
KevTech
join:2002-08-22

Re: Performance Starter

I am not on any promotion and only pay 53.95 for performance 50/5.

You are paying 49.95 for 6/1.

I have always had my own modems going back to 1999.

I have no dvr rental fees or HD tech fee as I have a Tivo Premiere XL4.

Re: Performance Starter

Thanks for responding, KevTech. When I looked this up in our area, it did say Performance internet [50 down] for $53.95 but it "Requires subscription to Xfinity TV or Voice", neither of which I am interested in. So, I'm assuming that you also have a subscription to either Xfinity TV or Voice (or both) at a substantially higher price than the one you quote. The "standalone " price of Performance internet in our area is $66.95. Now, since Performance Starter @6/1 is sufficient to stream video in HD, what's the point in paying more for internet?

CHERBY B

@208.99.255.x

Internet Only with Comcast

This is interesting as I am desperately trying to get my "Internet Only" bill down with Comcast. The lowest I could get it was $81 and now it just went up to $91 (why I don't know). Comcast, I'm sure you know is notorious for figuring out ways to get more money out of you. I'm going to brave up this week and inquiry as to the reason for the increase and ask about the $50 package (which I've never been able to get). I just want to make sure....this was $50 as recent as 2014...correct?

Re: Internet Only with Comcast

Yes. We'll, actually it's $49.95/month and it's called Performance STARTER. They also offer just the Performance tier but that was more than we needed. They have been ORDERED by the FCC to provide this tier in all the markets they serve through February 21, 2015. I don't know what will happen after that date but I've received no indications that this would change in any way.

lladnew

@comcast.net

life saver... thank you!

This was a life saver... thanks so very much. I found the link on the FCC site: »www.fcc.gov/document/comcast-con ··· roadband I'd been fighting with Comcast and losing as you might expect the past 3 days. I found this and called again armed with an ace in the hole. The representative couldn't find a package at that price... it was 59.95 for 10Mbps... then I said I had understood there was supposed to be a performance starter of 6Mbps at $49.95. She "reloaded" and wallah there it was. How about that! I ended up with the 10Mbps for $49.95... hopefully they don't jack it next month when the FCC order expires. I recorded the convo just in case.

Review by Kathy_9 See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "No service issues"
Bad "High Price"
Overall "The service is good but I am always in the market for a lower price"

We started with TCI Cable and evolved to ATT and finally Comcast for cable TV. Their channel selection and picture quality is okay; nothing to rave about.

We had Comcast Digital phone service and experienced no problems with it, but about a year and a half ago was informed that Comcast was discontinuing their old Digital service and insisting customers either switch to Comcast Digital Voice or find another provider - kind of high handed attitude. We now have the CDV and so far no issues.

Also, have Comcast HSI as part of the bundle (top tier) and I'm satisfied with the quality but feel the prices are way too high, which detracts from my overall opinion of Comcast.

Any time I've called the local number to troubleshoot an issue, I have found the reps to be professional and knowledgeable, so I would give Comcast high marks there.

One big negative is when I signed up for the bundle, I was told my monthly cost was good for two years, but at the end of one year, the price increased. So I went from $199 plus taxes, etc. to $245 and that's after the so called $20 loyalty discount.

So, I'll be very interested in reading the reviews on Verizon FIOS

4/9/11 - just received one of those friendly nudges from the site reminding me to update my review. So, I thought I'd share my latest Java Speed Test results: 110 kbps down 5094 kbps up. Keep in mind I'm paying for 2000 kbps down 16000 kbps up.

2/19/12 - latest Java Speed Test results: 19288 Kbps down 5018 Kbps up but results vary widely depending on the test site you use.

9/21/13 - I recently called Comcast to ask how I could reduce cost as my monthly triple play had climbed from $199 to $245 to $266 to $281. The rep I spoke with was very helpful, agreed I was paying too much and was able to repackage my bundle down to $180.

My most recent speed test = »www.speedtest.net/my-result/2983 ··· 83136525

4/17/14 - just received an email from Comcast that states -" We increased the speed of your Blast Internet service! You now have download speeds up to 105 Mbps and upload speeds up to 10 Mbps." So, I thought I'd power cycle and test it. Here are the results.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3445 ··· 45753555

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3445 ··· 45770704

3/2/15 - just updating to add latest speeds and price. Yes, it went up again. Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/4183 ··· 83785880

member for 9.8 years, 2346 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by coolcsh See Profile

• Location: Redmond,King,WA
Good "Fast Internet, great on demand, X1 feels modern"
Bad "Not as much HD as DirecTV, 500Gb verses 1TB HD on DirecTV"
Overall "Got a deal that was good and service is awesome"

I had a door to door Comcast agent show up at my house. He offered a deal that was better then what was offered online and had the latest hardware in his car. While I read about people having issues with Comcast having a personal rep solved all the customer service issues. I have great Internet speeds 24x7 (124 down, 12 up), the X1 boxes work great and have a modern interface and the home phone (for when kids are home alone) sounds great. I save about $20 over my DirecTV + Ooma + Comcast Internet. Very happy.

Comments:

Review by halfband See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,Madison,AL
Good "Reliable, Fast and gets faster. Decent upstream speeds these days."
Bad "The friggin data cap overages. Requires TV package for best rate."
Overall "Does what it is supposed to do, but I hate the low data cap."

Feb 2015
Reliability is still decent, but short outages have become bit more common, not too bad though.
The 300mb data cap is an absolute pain to deal with. It forces someone to be a bandwidth dictator for any users with high use items like Netflix or some games. This could be what drives me away from comcast. The addition of numerous fees to the TV package and constant increases in almost every other fee or package cost have made comcast very expensive, completely destroying what was once a pretty good value.

July 2011
With the technology upgrades of recent years this now just a solid product. Running a motorola SB6120 the service is still rock solid and very fast. Upload has finally caught up with current standards. More choices in speed packages have removed the one size fits all requirement of days past.

Nov 2007
Comcast HSI is rock solid now. Speeds are now 6Meg/384K. With power-boost you often see even better numbers. Email is now very reliable as is service up time. If you like ISP portal content theirs is pretty good. No real complaints. Could use a bit more upload speed.

// old 2002 review
Order and install was pretty smooth. The installers were contractors , showed up on time. They had about 3 years experience a piece. Knew what they were doing and by the time they left I had a good connection.

In the past 6 months comcast has raised the download speed slightly to 1800, doubled the upload speed to 256K, and improved email reliability from poor to OK. They also bumped the price up $3 to the current $43.

Speeds are about normal for 1800/256 connection. 256K upload is OK, and much better than the previous 128K. Downstream is reliable and quick enough for general use, running about 1200-1700 most of the time, but if you are an industrial strength user or gamer you may need to look at a higher service tier or DSL. Comcast has some really odd caps on email, 2.5 meg size limit and limits on number of recipients and number of emails sent in a minute. These are intended to prevent spammers from using Comcast accounts, but who ever heard of a 2.5 meg spam message.

member for 12.7 years, 2684 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by HossBud See Profile

• Location: Emmitsburg,Frederick,MD
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Good uptime, not many outages"
Bad "Speed is falling off quickly as they switch our neighborhood to X1"
Overall "Rarely get the advertised speed, I dont think I'm getting what I'm being charged for."

Comcast has been reliable, we've had very few outages. The performance is very disappointing during peak hours, I don't think they allocated enough capacity in our area. I've spoken with neighbors and they are having the same issues. The two technicians I have met with in the last couple of months have been extremely competent, on time and very personable. This is so close to being a good service, but they shouldn't offer speeds of 105Mbps when the speed is not there (only getting 10-15% most of the time). X1 service, which is basically IPTV now, is also on the edge of being good, it also is hamstrung by the lack of capacity in the area.

Comments:

Review by MrMxyzptlk See Profile

• Location: Peachtree City,Fayette,GA
Good "Fast and reliable"
Bad "Expensive"
Overall "The most expensive option...but fast and reliable"

I've had the business connection for a few years at my home and it has been rock solid.
The speeds are as promised.

The only negatives I have are it is way overpriced because of lack of competition, and I usually know more about my service than the technicians or phone support.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

Review by zampaz See Profile

• Location: Winchester,Winchester City,VA
Good "24-7 technical phone support available"
Bad "Company doen't advise of back end changes-confused services."
Overall "Avoid CC Business if you host your own web/email/domain servers."

This review is applicable to the Northern Virginia area (Winchester).
pre-sales...when upgrading existing service you won't get the best deal.

Install/service, 3 appointment no-shows by CC techs without notifying me.
(Always call an confirm your appointment on the day scheduled)

Connection reliability...wildly variable stability/speed/ping.

Tech support-tier 1 support reps have extremely limited knowledge. They can reboot your gateway and reload your static stack...level 2 support (network engineering) is great if you can get it.

Services (web mail, hosting...completely unreliable).
Even if you're a business class customer your traffic may be routed across the walled garden...(monitored and throttled).

I have a business account with CC -no TV, no phone, with a /8 stack of static IPs.
The 75d15u "Deluxe" internet package, Inet 160/mo, static block 40/mo ...(no contract, been with cc biz for 4 years). I need the 15 up for my hybrid cloud project and cloud backups project.

Right now I'm running the Comcast CDR3000 Netgear Gateway, I would prefer Cisco, but I won't pay for the electricity to host an Xfinity hotspot connected directly to my wan gateway when I have no real administrative control over the internet gateway router CC forces me to lease. *-this is a security nightmare.
Been through 4 gateway routers since November-The SMC was obsolete, the replacement burned up, the cisco wirelss was insecure (as far as I'm concerned) and the netgear has the lousy comcast firmare that doesn't allow you to back up lan/vpn settings to a local file. -"Simulated" bridge mode is still simulated.

The most frustrating issue I face is lack of communication from Comcast regarding my service status!!!
For example when firmware updates were pushed to my Comcast Business CDR3000 gateway I lost my stack of static IPs.

I had three emergency tech visit appointments cancelled for the failed router (without notifying me) by the local maintenance office...and was down for four days. I'm running my Enterprise class Rack of redundant servers from my home.) When emergency trouble tickets go into the local CC support system, supplied by a subcontractor to CC, my address is seen as residential and I loose my emergency "Business" service priority- the appointments were cancelled without notifying me.

I'm desperate to find an alternative to CC, but CC has the broadband monopoly in this area unless I'm willing to pay 1500-2000 a month to Level3 or Zoya (the local ILEC). -I'm willing but not able to afford it.

Trouble tickets (I've averaged about 4-6 a month since November) are routinely escalated to "Level II" and promises made for Tier II to contact me back are never kept....I never hear a word back from CC. Neither the "Change of Service" department or the Network engineering team communicate with me. Recently (two weeks ago) my account number was modified...without advising me why, or that the change occurred (of course my auto bank payment is floating somewhere in cyberspace at the moment)- I lost access to my CC business portal (and email) for several days...and my service was moved to a "walled garden..." -perhaps because I have a home based business without a storefront.

I've spent over 10 hours on the phone with trying to find out who/why/what happened...it's a nightmare (not to mention the loss of access to some of my domains/emails)...
My network traffic down is measured in 10's of gigs, my traffic up (at the moment) is hundreds of megs.

My advice is to avoid Comcast business class altogether if possible, don't use CC Exchange or Sharepoint services, use Microsoft Office360 or GoogleApps instead (I use both MS and Google/and Amazon/Acronis for backup- I host my own email/web servers.)

I need static IP's for my SSL certs...and my various domains...and I can (and may) obtain them elsewhere. I don't need web services provided by CC, all I want is Inet a static block, no emal, no websites, no capping, no throttling.
Modifying your services/accounts with CC is risky, many hidden charges.

There is no point in paying an extra 100 a month for walled garden connection, you can get the same from residential services if you don't need the up side bandwidth.
-Sean Lynch
PCMD Labs

Comments:

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
·Comcast Business..
·SONIC.NET

To be fair...

I'm not going to defend Comcast's mishandling of your service requests, but I will point out that this is a *business* class, not *datacenter* class service. Your use case, with an "Enterprise class Rack of redundant servers", is what most in the industry would refer to as a datacenter. You can find what you're looking for, but you can expect to pay 4-5x as much for 1/10 the bandwidth. If you need the same bandwidth you currently have, the pricing scales in a more or less linear fashion, do the math.

Comcast isn't treating you right, but you're also not using the right service for the task, either.
zampaz
join:2010-04-14
Winchester, VA

Re: To be fair...

said by BronsCon:

but you're also not using the right service for the task, either.

The task...
The task is to have an Enterprise class rack of servers in my living room, managed by written procedures written according to industry standard best practices, because I'm retired now...since I started flipping bits before arpanet, was on arpanet, saw the birth of the internet, wrote software from IBM360 assembly to Oracle 12 pl/sql...and wanted to learn network engineering and sys admin according to the ways of the Magicians in the server rooms across the globe that kept the breath of life in our applications and databases over the years;)
In my career I've been a Scientist, Engineer, DB Architect, Developer and Project Manager...I'm reaching for the Magician's crown...I will grok Network Engineering, ESXi, Linux and MS sys admin...then go back to my programming roots with a bag full of new tricks..., the task is to learn, to try to stay current since I've retired, and because I've been told the sci-fi I've been writing the last few years reads like technical specifications!

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
·Comcast Business..
·SONIC.NET

Re: To be fair...

If the task is to have those servers in your home, then it seems that the internet connection is irrelevant. That the internet connection is an issue seems to indicate that the task is to have enterprise servers, with enterprise-level availability to the outside world, in your home. For that task, you need an enterprise class internet connection or, if you're really serious, two from different providers.

Surely, with the credentials you claim to have, you see the difference between what you need and what you have, and are capable of understanding why what you have is so much cheaper than what you need.

I had some kid come at me the other day, on another site, citing the fact that he's over 30 (he literally said "I'm over 30") as a reference for why he was right and I was wrong. Well, as it turns out, age and credentials don't mean a whole heck of a lot when someone is demonstrably wrong about something.

NVFisherman

@verizon.net

Comcast is garbage

I was really happy to get rid of Comcast for internet/telephone service, Advertised commercial quality but we were on same horrible line as a old rental building. Verizon FIOS is far superior, A business should look for anyone else but Comcast.