Charter page on DSLReports

Review by OpTiC See Profile

• Location: Temple City,Los Angeles,CA
Good "clear tv picture quality "
Bad "lots of problems with scientific alanta box"
Overall "Best option for TV if Uverse or Fios isn't available"

May 2011- I recently moved to a Time Warner cable area. So I disconnected my Charter services

July 2010-My promo ended for expanded basic with basic channels. Now I'm paying 67.99 with tax.

June 2009- My promo ended for expanded basic with basic channels, but luckly I get the promo renewed

May 2007- I signed up for Charter TV services the plan I signed up for is expanded basic with basic channels. I received the Scientific Atlanta 2000 cable box.

==============================================================

In the end, they are a decent choice an area with very little to no other choices, except MAYBE At&t Uverse.

member for 164 days, 183 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI

Best option if Uverse isn't available...

Have you tried Uverse TV? I've seen it first-hand and know a few people who have it. It's a mixed-bag for sure.

anonymous103

crap

Charter has nothing but issues. Disappointed to the max. Horrible internet telephone and television service. Don't recommend charter anything to anyone, by far the worst customer service ever. The technicians aren't anything special either.
OpTiC

join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

Re: crap

Now I have Time Warner Cable which is alot better than charter. I hope I won't be transferred to Charter after the Comcast TWC merger due to older equipment.
surferwoman

join:2014-04-23
Hesperia, CA

Unburied Cable

I was digging in my yard trying to get it looking good. All of a sudden I unearthed a cable belonging to Charter. It was real close to the surface. It goes all across my yard. My neighbor said Charter didn't bury the cable deep enough. I called Charter and they were supposed to come out to bury it but they never did. I keep tripping on it. I don't know what to do. It is ruining my plans for my yard.

Re: Unburied Cable

A quick pass with your lawnmower will take care of that rather effectively. I know it's a last resort. They will come out when whoever that cable supplies services to calls to report an outage. Charter did the same thing at my last residence. Ran a cable across my back yard just a few inches below the surface to my next door neighbor.

I complained for over a year and finally after I ran over it with my lawnmower Charter had no choice but to come out and bury it deeper. It helps if you are home when the technician comes so you can monitor his work. There is no reason why you or anyone else should have to live with that. Good luck.

NEFiredog

@catholicmutual.org

Charter Communications

I live in an area that only allows a single cable television provider by franchise with the local town government. Our cable system has been sold twice over the last 20 years, and we now have Charter Communications. By far, this is the worst company I have ever been forced to deal with. Their customer service is non-existent, if there is a problem with the signal it is always my fault, and the absolute worse issue is the closest walk in office to my home is over 80 miles away. My money is good enough to purchase their crappy cable service, but not good enough to provide me reasonable location for a walk in office to exchange set top box, pick up a replacement remote, or easy access to an area manager to express my complaints to.

Recently, over three billing cycles, we got a notice in our monthly bill that we were about to get CBS Sports Channel. This is great because a couple of programs I like to watch moved to this channel and a local college basketball team is sometimes broadcast over this channel. I even checked with the CBS Sports website and my zip code as listed as getting CBS Sports. When, after 8 months, we never got the channel, I called Charter. First, they said we should be getting it and they would have a tech check it out. Never heard anything, so called back a few days later, same response. Then I get a message that we are not getting the channel. So I call again, ask why we are not getting it, the rep said we were never scheduled to get the channel. But, I said, we got a notice that we are to get it. Then we get a sorry, you are not getting it. I ask for a supervisor, I get one and I asked why we were not getting a channel we were told are to get. No answer, sorry, just not to get it. Not a happy person here. I have reported my displeasure with their service to their corporate office with very little results. I have now asked my local town government to seek bids for other cable providers. I will see where that goes.
lynneblack

join:2001-12-14
Reno, NV

lots of regret for switching to Charter

I had Directv for the past 6 years and it was great but after the first year, the bill would go up every few months and when I would call about it I would get some lame excuse and an offer to save a few $ a month if I renewed or extended my contract. I had Ooma for phone service and it was great. But since I had Charter internet for the past year and it's been very fast and rock solid I bit when they came at me with an offer to save me $40 a month if I switched my TV and phone service to them.

That was a month ago, no one showed up for the first appt., and when a contractor showed up the next day two of the three DVR's he installed didn't work, but he left knowing they didn't work and two of the three remotes had coffee stains and what looked like dried snot on them. It took over a week and four or five service calls to get three functional DVR's and replacement remotes, but I had to wait another week for the phone because someone forgot to port my number. Two weeks ago they install the phone and I instantly had buyers remorse, you need to call in to activate forwarding (or deactivate it) and when I did that I found out that not all of my calls were being forwarded to my cell- some of them were just 'lost'. I called back to disable it, that took 2 days and three calls. I decided that since call forwarding was a failure I had better set up voice mail- well, you have to call in to enable voice mail too and now, 48 hours since that call when I dial my number on the phone to set up voice mail all I get is a busy signal.

I had Charter years ago and I should have learned my lesson, nothing much has changed. The DVRs are awful, you can record two shows but not watch a third, and unless you react to the onscreen message that prompts you to switch to one of the shows being recorded it automatically quits recording one of the programs. The DVR menu is awful, just awful. The quality is very good since they went all digital, but the problems with the equipment and abysmal support don't make up for what is now an acceptable HD signal.

As far as the phone - Both Vonage and Ooma allow you to enable or disable both forwarding and voicemail through their web interface, including the ability to configure simulring which allows your phone to always ring to another phone at the same time. Charter never heard of simulring =/ I'm just plain depressed about this, I sold my Ooma device before realizing how bad the features are with Charter phone and am thinking about buying another one and porting my number back to Ooma and just using Charter for faxing which by the way works far better than Ooma or Vonage.

But their internet rocks, they just went from 30-60 and I have never had it go down for more than 10 minutes and that has only happened a few times.

Review by dataice See Profile

• Location: Crisfield,Somerset,MD
Good "Quick Install, and free modem."
Bad "Only offers 8/1 in my area, but charging me for the 30/4 tier. Speeds are inconsistent, and drop dramatically in the evening."
Overall "Charter is my only option, if I want more than entry-level DSL."

·Verizon Online DSL
04/23/2014: I stopped by my local office today to see if Charter is running any specials on their internet service. I was told by the lady in the office that I could get 30/4 for $39.99 a month plus $5 a month extra for a wireless router. She said if I bundle it with their Silver TV package she would knock off $10 a month from my internet service, and give me both services for $54.99 a month, not including taxes and fees. She said with those added, I would be paying around $60 a month. I thought that was a good deal and I decided to take her up on her offer.

I was told however, that we still don't have access to any HD content from Charter, even though all of our local over the air stations broadcast an HD signal. We also don't have any DVR options here with Charter, or On Demand features. Charter is truly stuck in the 90's, in my local area. But, considering she's throwing in the TV service for $10 more a month than standalone internet, I still thought it's a decent deal. I'll just drop the TV service after the one year promo is up. I have a Netflix, and Hulu Plus subscription, so I will rarely watch their TV service anyway, unless it's to watch Game of Thrones on HBO, or a breaking news or weather event.

She said there would be a one time, $39.99 install fee, and a one time $29.99 activation fee for the wireless router which she said has to be paid up front before they will schedule an install. This company will find any excuse to nickel and dime you to death. I paid the up front fees, and was given a install window of 8 am - Noon tomorrow for my install. That's a pretty good turnaround. So, I set it up and told them I would make sure to be home when he comes.

04/24/2014: The technician showed up at 10 am. He had a bit of a mess to sort out in the junction box of my apartment complex because many of the lines to the individual units were missing their corresponding apartment number tags, so it took him nearly an hour just to figure out which line was mine.

After he came back in to begin the install, I casually mentioned what I was paying currently with Verizon for 3 Mbps DSL, and was happy to discover for about the same price I was going to get 30 Mbps with Charter. He quickly stopped me and said who told you that? I said, the lady down at the local office. He said, I don't know why she keeps telling people we offer 30/4 when we only offer 8/1 for your area. Well, that's just great I thought to myself. But, even at 8/1, it's still better than the 3/768 that I get with Verizon.

About an hour later, he finishes his install and calls in to provision my services. The picture quality of the SD digital service is poor. They are still using a late 90's Motorola DCT2000 SD receiver for our cable system. The SD digital picture is out of focus, and heavily pixelated on at least two-thirds of the channels. He asked me to do a speed test before he left to make sure everything looks okay. I pulled in just over 12 Mbps. Considering I'm only supposed to be getting 8 Mbps, I considered myself lucky.

04/25/2014: So far, so good as far as the internet goes. My speed did drop down to about 7 - 8 Mbps during peak hours from 5 - 11 pm last night, but considering I'm only supposed to get 8 Mbps to begin with, I can live with it. I am able to get 11 - 12 Mbps during non peak times.

04/26/2014: I logged into their web-site this evening to set up my account. I then discover I am not getting my services for $54.99 a month like I was told at the office. I was going to be paying $64.99 a month, plus an additional $6.99 for the SD receiver that she said would be included in the cost of the promo, for a total of $71.98, and that doesn't include any taxes or fees. With those added, I'm looking at around $80 a month. Quite a bit more than the $60 I was told I would be paying. Yet another false statement from this company.

Considering I have had dealings with Charter in the past, doing battle with them, just to get them to provide my apartment complex with services in the first place, I know it's a waste of time to get them to honor their agreement with me. They have no problem telling you one thing, and doing the opposite. I'm not about to rearrange my schedule to drive to the other side of town to deal with the lady at the local office. Shame on me for thinking that maybe they had changed. I will just keep it for the first year, then scale back to internet only when my promo is up. I'll update my review if I begin to have any issues with my services.

04/28/2014: I received an email that my first bill is due. They didn't waste any time. My monthly total with taxes and fees will be $79.23. I just loved the part of my bill break down that said I am subscribed to their Internet Plus 30/4 tier, even though they only offer 8/1 in my area, for the same cost as the 30/4 tier.

05/01/2014: I've been having to reset my modem at least twice a day. It simply stops responding. Tech support is useless. Their only option is telling you to unplug the modem for a minute, or sending a tech to your location. After checking with a neighbor in my complex who also has Charter, I discovered he's having the same problems. They send a tech out, he says our numbers are okay, and he leaves. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I'm also noticing some major issues with speeds, especially during evening hours from 5 - 11 pm. But, I know with cable internet that's just the nature of the beast. I live in a 330 unit apartment complex, so I imagine I'm on a congested node. My speeds in the evening hours are now dropping as low as 1 Mbps, and on a few occasions have dropped below 1 Mbps. I can forget trying to stream a movie during the evening hours, which is when most people are at home watching something.

05/29/2014: I suffered a 12 hour outage today with my internet. Of course when I called support their first response was to blame me. I told the CSR that I had already reset the modem and router before calling to rule out any issues on my end. Of course, he has me do it again anyway. They said my only option then is to send a tech. I've been there and done that with this company before, and they billed me for a service call, even after the tech determined the problem was on their end. Then you have to battle them for a credit. No thanks, I told the rep. I decided to wait until more people call it in. It's a good thing I still have my Verizon DSL connection as a backup, or I would have been SOL.

06/02/2014: I went down to the local office today to inquire about if/when we would see a speed upgrade. A tech who was coming back from his lunch break said, I wouldn't hold your breath. Those were his exact words. He said I don't see that happening in the next 24 months for this system, if not longer. In other words, be happy that you're getting 8/1.

06/06/2014: I returned my cable equipment to my local office today, and am scaling back to internet only. There are so many issues with their TV service, that it isn't a value, even at the promo pricing. Constant freezing of channels, heavy pixelation, and the program guide constantly losing programming information. My internet price will increase by $10 a month to $44.99 by dropping TV service. I'm probably going to sign up with DirecTV. They've been trying to get me back as a customer for several years.

07/09/2014: There was a front page article featured in our local newspaper today that the city has decided not to renew Charter's franchise when it expires on January 1, 2015. You know things are bad when it makes the front page of the newspaper. There was a local town meeting with city council and the County Commissioner last month, where apparently things got very heated, when customers were allowed to speak directly to Charter's regional manager about the dismal service. Apparently Charter said it had no plans to do any upgrades to the local cable plant here, and basically the city said, then we are done here. End of discussion.

So, now the city is in talks with Comcast about coming in to provide service to the area. There will be considerable upgrades that will have to be performed to the local cable plant, due to Charter's neglect of the plant. Comcast provides services to the northern half of the county, so this will fill in the southern half that Charter will be losing. I'm crossing my fingers, because if this deal falls through with Comcast as it is apparently tied into the swap of systems because of the Comcast/TWC merger, that will leave thousands without services. Charter is the only fixed line provider available to about two-thirds of the town's population, since Verizon stopped taking on new subs for DSL.

07/16/2014: I was able to find a TP-Link router on Amazon, so I returned the Charter provided router today to save the $5 monthly lease fee.

07/23/2014: Internet has been down since 6 pm this evening. Of course Charter has no idea why it's down or when it will be back up. So, I basically have to wait until more customers from my area phone it in before they do anything about it.

07/24/2014: Internet didn't come back up until just shy of 4 pm this afternoon. 22 hours total downtime.

08/02/2014: I'm trying to watch a movie on Netflix, and it's buffering every two to three minutes. And this is only a SD stream. I did a speed test to several sites, and discovered I'm averaging 1.2 Mbps right now as of 8 pm Saturday evening. I'd get better results with Verizon 3G if not for the caps. This level of service should be criminal.

08/03/2014: Yet another outage. I lost connectivity shortly after 9 pm. As usual customer service was useless. Let's see how long this one lasts.

08/04/2014: Service wasn't restored until just after 5 pm. A total of 20 hours of no service.

08/05/2014: I decided to go by my local office today to put in a request to disconnect service. Last night I was getting less than 1 Mbps. I refuse to continue to pay $40 a month for barely usable service. I'll just keep my DSL service active. It's only 3 Mbps but at least it's always consistent whenever I need it. 8 Mbps is useless to me if I can only get those speeds at 3 am in the morning when I'm sleeping.

member for 11.8 years, 2156 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

W8vi

@24.210.166.x

Inept or corrupt

You have been ripped off. I'd be fuming and getting a price reduction for the 8/1 speed and the additional charges they did not mention to you. Then I would be contacting Charters customer relations department. If not satisfied then I would be contacting BBB, State Attorney's office and writing an editorial for the local paper explaining your recent "purchase".

There either inept or corrupt - probably a little of both. Not all providers act this way. I'm with Time Warner in SW Ohio and they haven't pulled that kind of crap with me or the family members I've referred for service -At least not yet.

Please take action against bad business practices.

Re: Inept or corrupt

My father said the same thing to me yesterday. The more I sit and stew about it, the angrier I'm getting. Had I known the truth up front at the local office, I probably would have stayed with Verizon DSL. It's considerably slower, but at least it was consistent, especially in the evening hours when it counted the most.

The only reason I didn't cancel as soon as the tech came, is because they already had my $70 for the install and activation. I was trying to watch a movie on Netflix last night and it was buffering every two to three minutes, and that was a SD stream! I had to switch over to DSL to finish the movie.

Charter's franchise with my town is up at the end of this year. Several TV news stations here and our local newspaper have covered the situation of the poor service the county is getting. The city council has threatened to not renew Charter's franchise when it is up at the end of this year, but they've threatened to do that before and it was just a bunch of hot air.

People here are just fed up but we have nowhere else to go for service. When our local central office with Verizon DSL maxed out in 2011, it made Charter the only provider for fixed broadband in the area. And we can forget Verizon rolling out FIOS here. They stopped in neighboring Delaware in 2010, and passed right over Southeast Maryland, where I'm at.

My neighbor in the apartment across the hall, switched from Verizon DSL to Charter a couple of weeks before me, but he made the mistake of dropping his DSL line before he put his Charter connection through its paces, and now he's stuck with them. When he called Verizon to get DSL back they said no, because of the central office being full. The rep told him she couldn't add him back in, even if she wanted to. Her system blocks her from overriding it.

Knowing what I do about Charter already, I made sure to hold onto my DSL connection, just in case I found service with Charter's internet to be substandard. They didn't surprise me. I have to make up my mind soon, because I can't afford to pay $80 a month to Charter, and another $55 a month to Verizon.
csal1

join:2014-05-05
US

Re: Inept or corrupt

Holy crap!... I've never heard of any telecom company refusing to take customers because, basically, they can't handle the load. I'm from New York and out there they have FiOS. Its the best service I've ever seen. And I've also had Charter when I lived in the mid-west for a bit and they weren't bad as far as service is concerned but I had heard way before subscribing that their customer service was sub-par (similar to Comcast).

You should definitely make some noise on this. I know you said you said its a waste of time to call support based on past experiences but you cant just let them get away with this type of incompetence. I'm with W8vi, if you have to involve the State Attorney's office, do it (if you have the time because it does take time and effort)

Re: Inept or corrupt

Verizon hasn't taken on any new customers here for DSL service since late 2010. My cousin who recently moved back to the area tried to get DSL with Verizon and was told they couldn't because the central office is full. Verizon refuses to dump any more money into POTS. It's been the case for several years now. At least in my neck of the woods. They rather focus on wireless. You can still get a voice line, but a no go on DSL here in my county.

And as far as our State Attorney's office, they simply don't care about this part of the state. It's rural, and we are largely invisible to them. I already fought a battle with Charter last year. They had refused to upgrade my apartment complex with Internet service because they said the manager had told them he didn't want them coming in, even though they already provided Cable TV service to the complex, and Internet service to the entire block, including a sub division just down the street from me for several years. They simply just skipped right over the complex.

After going to the manager, I discovered it was a blatant lie. They simply didn't want to perform the upgrades required to bring us Internet service, because they had some people in the complex not pay their cable TV bills, so they just wrote everyone off here for Internet service. Even though the majority of us pay our bills on time. Eventually, because of my efforts, and our local newspaper running an article about it, eventually Charter gave in, and did the required upgrades to get us Internet.

That was nearly a year of my life, going around knocking on doors, getting signatures, etc, with very little help from my neighbors. And our local city council whose job it is to make sure Charter is providing a service, required by their franchise agreement was worthless. I don't have the desire or time to do that all over again. Just to get them to provide a decent service people are paying for. It's a sad state of affairs in this country. You can get away with practically anything as a large company, if you know who to pay off.

Charter is doing the same thing right now across town from me, in a low income housing development. Charter is giving them the same runaround my apartment complex encountered. Several people who reside there are going door to door, like I had to do. Charter never ceases to amaze me. Now that it has been exposed, yet again by our local town newspaper, maybe those people will get Charter to cave. But, as I discovered, that doesn't mean you will get a service that is actually usable.

I will probably vote with my wallet and just go back to DSL. It's considerably slower, but at least it's dependable during the evening hours when I need it the most. Thank God I held on to it.

strmhawke

@71.90.87.x

Re: Inept or corrupt

Have you tried looking into Hughes net or similar? If you live in a rural area is it still possible to get a break in the bill because where you live?

Re: Inept or corrupt

Several relatives tried satellite for internet and said it left a lot to be desired. Speeds were slower than 4G wireless on average, with low caps, and high latency which make it practically useless for gaming, VoIP, or other latency sensitive applications. My only other option is wireless with Verizon or AT&T. They're the only two carriers that have wireless coverage in this area.

I tried both, and was passing my caps every month. They only allow 10 GB's a month, and it was sending me into the poor house in overages. I tend to average about 150-200 GB's a month with Netflix and Hulu, which streaming wasn't an option on wireless. I'll have to live with 3 Mbps DSL, or stay with Charter and live with crippling speeds during evening hours.

Since I'm on a 12 month promo with Charter, I know they won't give me a break on the bill while I'm on that, which is a reasonable price at the moment. However, when I come off of it next April, that will no longer be the case for the speed I am getting. I would be shocked if they would give me a discount because they are only offering 8/1 to my area.

I read an article here on BBR recently that said, that some of Maryland's Charter systems would be traded with Comcast, as part of the Comcast/TWC merger. That's probably my area's best bet for decent service. If Comcast does acquire my system, then maybe they will do the required upgrades. Charter hasn't performed any major upgrades to our system in at least a decade or more.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
said by csal1:

DSL technology works on Channels. When you run out of channels you can't add more customers unless you add additional equipment. Verizon has limited the number of DSL customers in many areas.

runnoft
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

DirecTV & oral offers

1. Caution on going back to DirecTV given that your beef with Charter was that they didn't honor the deal they offered you. I recently moved into a new area and wanted TV service and was faced with deciding among Charter, DirecTV, and Dish TV. I quickly ruled out DirecTV when I started reading a highly disporportionate rate, in my opinion, of reviews here and elsewhere from customers who had **major** problems getting DirecTV to do what they promised at the rate they promised it. Too many new customers, in my opinion, are complaining that DirecTV reneges and then wastes hours of customer time on the phone trying to get it resolved. If I were doing satellite, I'd go with DishTV because of the appearance of better and more honest service. Of course for any one customer in any location, the mileage can vary. But at least read the reviews and see if you think DirecTV is as good these days as you remember.

2. I don't trust what any of these telecom agents orally promote as deals in person or the phone. Notice they won't generally e-mail you the deal so you can print it before committing to it. When it's on the website, you can print it off and it's harder to pull a fast one. I did get Charter TV and Internet, ordering service online, and the deal was exactly as promised on the website. The pricing was very transparent. Add this box, the price per month for the first 12 months goes up this much. Take this channel package off, it goes down this much. And as I say, the bills have been exactly right with no gotchas. The one thing I couldn't tell online with any degree of confidence was how much it would go up when the 12 month promo deal expired. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

2 edits

Re: DirecTV & oral offers

I haven't decided yet on which service I'm going with. I've been reading some reviews for both Dish and DirecTV. Both seem to have mixed reviews, with slightly more negative reviews with DirecTV. Right now, DirecTV is looking like the better deal for me, because of local networks. Dish Network doesn't carry all of my locals like DirecTV.

I may decide to just cut the cord again, and live with Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Vudu for more recent releases. I can use an antenna to pull in a couple of my local channels for local news and weather. Until I went back to Charter in April, I had gone two full years without cable, and after a couple of months, I found I really didn't miss it like I thought I would. Thanks for the info.

Darkstar1485

@71.119.65.x

Charter

Use their chat service to get the service and the terms. PRINT OUT what the deal was - they normally re-cap it all. Print it out. All of it...every word.

If they don't meet that, you can PROVE what your expectation was and what was represented.

2 edits

Re: Charter

I would have used their chat function, but it wasn't available when I tried to use it. I assume they aren't available 24/7. Even if they had stuck by their terms, I still would have cancelled. The quality of service is beyond subpar.

Now I know why over half the homes in this town has a satellite dish. They actually used that as an excuse in a town meeting with city council recently. They have lost so many customers here to satellite, that they can't justify spending the money to upgrade the cable plant. Well, I guess we should thank them for their honesty?
cross12095

join:2011-04-10
Hillsboro, AL

1 recommendation

Stop bumping your review to the top!

@dataice
I have noticed that every time someone else posts their review about Charter you quickly update yours with nothing new to add, just so your review sits at the top.
We get it, you hate Charter or whatever just stop bumping your freaking review!

Crisfield, MD

Re: Stop bumping your review to the top!

If you had bothered to look carefully, you would have noticed that I lowered the cost of what I pay in my review by $5 to reflect returning my router to save the router lease fee Charter was charging me.

Review by kherr See Profile

• Location: Collinsville,Madison,IL
Good "Good speed, Good HD"
Overall "Services rendered as advertised"

After an installation glitch, speed has been as advertised (30/4). The CS rep asked what I did to troubleshoot connection, and didn't make me to Power down, unplug, etc., etc. etc. like a drone reading from a script. and went right to what she needed, to actually watch the modem reboot (told to unplug and wait 20 sec.). She immediately saw a problem and scheduled a service call. Two days later problem was found (missing a filter for the whole house DVR that installer forgot) and have been flying since. After I ordered service, getting rid of ATT DSL I asked neighbor if he had Charter and what he thought. When he said that it was slow, my heart stopped and thought "Oh no, congestion!!. The TV does fine although when recording late night I have found more than once the "Emergency Network Test" has interrupted at bad times ....

When I got my Tivos I had a Pro install from the beginning. It took 2 days but when they sent the supervisor the second day he ripped out the previous wiring muttering something like “don’t these people read the instructions ….”, replaced the drop, installed an amp, and redid the wiring connecting to the splitter. He said that it didn’t have a chance the way they had wired it and said “heads will roll”. They’ve been working ever since. If I ever get another one I’ll spend the $20 and have them do it again.

Update :

Spectrum went active and now the speeds are 100/4 in the St. Louis market for the base package. With TV and HSI it is $125 now that my package expired. Still rock solid with only a less than a day outage.

member for 13.9 years, 4659 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by JohnKirchner See Profile

• Location: Great Falls,Cascade,MT
Good "Reliable connection"
Bad "Speeds not at fast as advertised/upgraded"
Overall "Good, constant connection"

·Optimum Online
·Google Voice
Originally had Optimum Online until Charter bought it out in Montana. Speeds seem to have drastic fluxuations where it will average about 8mb down and last I heard we were supposed to be upgraded to 30mb down. At times, I will see around 25mb down but not for long and it is usually my phone that gets those speeds. My Surface Pro 2 will occasionally record around 20mb down. Upload speeds are fairly constant around 4mb up, so that is good. I havent messed with contacting support yet...just been putting it off.

All in all, happy with the constant service, not really any downtime or outages. Hopefully, they will get speeds up to par soon before I make the dreaded tech support call. I just dislike calling any support number, no matter what company it is.

Comments:

Review by BinaryXtreme See Profile

• Location: Sparks,Washoe,NV
Good "No down time, extremely reliable Phone, Internet, and Television!"
Bad "Expensive"
Overall "Extremely reliable cable, phone, and internet but expensive."

I've had Charter as my internet provider for over ten years now. When I first started it was a nightmare. In Reno Nevada there was always down times that could go hours to days. Connection speeds were horrific at times. I mean phone connection slow. I moved to Yakima Washington and it was better but not by much. Slowly it got better while I was living in Washington and could go for a month or two with no outages but speeds were very up and down.

I moved back to Sparks Nevada almost eight years ago and what a change. I spent five years in an apartment and had very few down time and speeds were very near advertised. I bought a home almost three years ago in Sparks and service has been rock solid. In almost three years we've had maybe two down times. I'm just amazed how much better and solid the network has gotten.

I now have phone, internet, and television with three DVRs and love it. I had one DVR go bad but Charter brought a new one out in two days. They set it up and was on their way and no problems since. Now I have the television package that has the HBO, Movie Channel, Showtime, etc, most of the high definition channels with the NFL channel which I love. My internet package is 30 Mbps down and 4Mbps up.

What I wish for is more affordable rates. I pay $168.69 per month guaranteed no price increase for a year. I think that's expensive. I'd also like to be able to tape more shows on my DVR that just two at a time. You can't tape two shows and watch a third at the same time. By the way, I use my own modem, a Linksys WRT54gs, with a Linksys router model E2100L and they work fantastic. I hope Charter keeps improving as they've done for years.

Update: 9/24/13

Service has been solid but there have been a couple of outages in the past few months. They were cleared up rather quickly. Wish I had more upload speed but am very satisfied with 30Mbps I have for downloads. I do want to state that for some reason I have been accused of being a Charter employee because of my mostly favorable personal reviews. I am handicapped and have been unemployed for over a decade now.

Update 12/9/13

Service has been rock solid. I'm amazed. No down time at all. Only thing I can possibly complain about is that there is a slow down you can clearly see around 6 pm. Not bad but sometimes noticeable. Wish price would be cheaper but not counting on that. Speeds, packet loss, and pings have been great too. Steady as she goes. Charter has come a long way from it's horrific connections in years past.

Update: 8/10/14

Still rock solid. No down times at all. Phone. Net, and Television has been absolutely perfect. I'm just shocked on how well service has been. Only thing to complain about is when my contract was up I called to try to get a better deal and the guy I spoke to clearly did not speak English very well. Hung up and called back to get another rep that I could not understand as well. Finally got an English speaking assistant and renegotiated and I'm happy.

Comments:

CharterSucks

@charter.com

Charter in Reno sucks (don't buy the fake reviews here)

The poster must work for charter. I live in Reno and have just had both my internet and tv go up and down for hours at a time over the last 3 days. Customer service always blames your computer until the end of the diag and then say "oh we have reports of an outage in your area" after jerking you around for 1/2 hour. Their support is based out of India and they can't even pronounce common sir names. Over 3 years I have had to replace 3 modems and 2 dvrs. The service is almost never at 75% of their rated capacity. The only thing the poster got right is that it is overpriced.

Masshole

@70.192.5.x

Internet reliable?

I don't know what their definition of reliable is but when my services is down 3-4 times a week at hours where I work at home? Nope. Not reliable. Will never move into a place again if their only option is charter.

Review by adrenatek See Profile

• Location: Asheville,Buncombe,NC
Good "speed is pretty consistent"
Bad "no clue what the real regular price is"
Overall "not worth it for more than $50/month and they don't seem to care about keeping customers"

Charter recently upgraded speed on all customers from a minimum of 30mbit to 60mbit down, upload stayed the same 4mbit. Sounds nice but I'm sure it comes with a couple of catches such as future price increases.

Service has been pretty reliable aside from some nighttime T3 timeouts, but I am just not willing to pay over $50/month for internet. Some of us out there would rather have speed tier options and be able to pay less. But instead Charter puts everyone on a minimum of 60mbit and won't negotiate the regular price despite them not wanting to identify what it really is. I have heard my 2nd year is going to be $44.99 from one rep, another has told me regular price 2nd year is $49.99, and another has said $54.99. Well, if what I have read is true then my service is about to go from $29.99 a month to $54.99 a month. Cancelled service recently. Might go back one day for a promo, they aren't terrible- just overpriced. At least it isn't Comcast.

I think this company needs to offer speed tiers of, say 15mbps/30mbps/60mbps/100+mbps down with upload speed that is around 15-20% of the purchased download speed tier.

Comments:

dataice

It could be worse

It could be worse. Charter is charging me $44.99 a month ($39.99 plus another $5 for having their wireless router) for 8/1 standalone. They refuse to upgrade our system here so we can get at least 30/4. I'd kill for 60/4. Not all of Charter's footprint can get those amazing speeds.

I went down to the local office last week to inquire about if/when we would see a speed upgrade. A tech who was coming back from his last job said, I wouldn't hold your breath. Those were his exact words. He said I don't see that happening in the next 24 months for this system, if not longer. In other words, be happy that you're getting 8/1.

I did however ask them while I was there what I will be paying after my one year promo ends next April. The lady at the front desk said the regular standalone price for HSI is $54.99 not including the wireless router fee. I asked her if I could buy my own router to save the monthly fee. She said you can, but we will still charge you the $5 fee.

According to her that covers not only the router, but also for having WiFi. This is assuming she gave me accurate information. Are you being charged for having a wireless network, assuming you have one? They are the only provider I know of that charges a fee just for having a wireless network in your home. I felt like saying, will that fee also include a reach around while I am bent over? Unreal, the arrogance of this company. I will probably drop it after my promo is up next April. I can't justify paying $60 a month for 8/1. However, I would pay that for 60/4 if Charter provided it for my area . Heck, I'd probably pay that if I could get 30/4. At this point, I'd be happy to get that!

I agree, they should have more flexible plans for those that don't require a 60/4 connection. Like my 66 year old father, who only checks his e-mail, pays his bills online, and does light browsing. But, sadly, this is what passes for competition in this country.

Re: It could be worse

that is incorrect about the wifi router. if you buy your own to use there is no $5 fee. I have a wireless router that i own and there is no $5 fee. the only time there would be a $5 fee for wifi is if you are renting their equipment. if they try to tell you otherwise as if there is some "wifi service" or something at that office you went to (which i have never heard of in regards to using your own router) then just tell them you want it removed and take the rented router back and hook up your own anyway. they have no reason to bill you for anything other than the connection itself at that point.

also that is absolutely absurd that they are charging you the same price for 8/1. can you not get DSL or something? if i had to guess the cable system you are in is going to be sold to comcast if the TWC-comcast deal goes through. i believe all the systems that have been upgraded to 60/4 are staying charter and the ones that aren't are not being upgraded/possibly being sold.

Re: It could be worse

Thanks for the info. As usual I was given inaccurate information. I currently have a DSL connection with Verizon, but it's only 3 Mbps. I kept it until I saw how bad things would be with Charter. I wanted a faster connection. But I've found especially in the evening hours between 5-11 pm, my Charter service can drop below 2 Mbps. And on a few occasions has dropped below 1 Mbps.

I'll probably drop Charter. A faster connection doesn't mean squat if it's not dependable when you need it. I asked about getting a cheaper price for the internet, since I'm only getting 8/1 on a 30/4 tier, and the local office smirked and said, you're getting a promo rate as it is. I said what about next year when it ends? I just got a blank stare. My only hope now is that Charter swaps us with Comcast. Maybe then, Comcast will perform the needed upgrades to our system.

Re: It could be worse

did you get crazy ping time variances too? like sometimes it'd be good like 30ms and then other times as high as 200ms?

also since you have verizon DSL have you checked into frontier/centurylink or any other resellers? they might be cheaper and possibly have a CO closer to you = higher speeds.

Re: It could be worse

Oh, yes. During peak hours in the evening, my pings average 200+ms. In my apartment building 15 of the 24 units in the building subscribes to Charter HSI. Each apartment building in the complex is on a dedicated node. It's absurd that my connection drops below 2 Mbps, if a handful of my neighbors are maxing out their connections. Last night while trying to watch Orange is the New Black on Netflix, it was buffering so bad it was unwatchable. And I have my Netflix video settings on medium SD quality. I had to switch my Apple TV over to my DSL connection so I could watch the show.

I've checked into resellers, and couldn't get an order to go through because my central office (we only have one serving our zip code) has been full since 2010, and with a voice line being required now, since Verizon killed dry loop, the reseller contacts me and said Verizon killed the order. My line supports up to 10 Mbps but Verizon has all lines from my central office capped at 3 Mbps, even if you live right next door to the central office.

If you have a higher speed, you are grandfathered in, but if you make any changes to your account whatsoever, like dropping back voice service to the minimum economy package, like I did, they will drop you back to 3 Mbps. I had 10 Mbps for over a year until I made a change to my account. I was told twice by the rep at Verizon that I would stay at 10 Mbps. That was a big fat lie.

If I had dropped my DSL line when I went to Charter this past April, I wouldn't have been able to get my DSL back. Once you drop out of the system, they won't let you back in. Verizon isn't taking on any new customers here for DSL, just voice services. Obviously they have no plans to upgrade POTS/DSL to add more capacity.

Jeff Cali

@24.205.138.x

FCC Complain Procedure

Go to the FCC.gov website and click on complaint. My complaint was that I had been quoted $44.95 when I asked about DOWNGRADING because I was not interested in paying anything over 50 bucks a month. The representative I talked to said it was available to me, but she could not get it to go into the system until they had received my payment on my last bill. Whatever, the bill posted and I called back to get the new rate. They refused it, and I let them know what had occurred prior. No dice, they said. $54.99 was the new price. I let them know I would be filing an FCC complaint against them and thanked them for their time. I did and I got the lowest quoted rate for 6 months. Charter called me within two days of my complaint. They were VERY cooperative, so I guess they take these complaints seriously. Lay out the sequence of events in your complaint in as much useful detail as you can. I didn't even bargain with them over it, I just said I only wanted what I had been promised.

Re: FCC Complain Procedure

I may do just that. I am sick of the lies this company tells. Honesly though since thankfully I do have other options I think I'd rather just not give charter any more money. I am tired of how secretive they are with pricing and unhelpful they are. All they want to do is sell triple plays. I remember hearing once that their goal was to get every customer to pay a minimum of $60 a month to them regardless of services subscribed to, and honestly I believe it, especially after hearing what's going on with "dataice".

Review by B4Knight See Profile

• Location: Colon,Saint Joseph,MI
Good "Consistent Speed, Pretty Reliable, Customer Service Has Been Good"
Bad "Upload Speed Is Lacking"
Overall "Overall Its Been Great, But YMMV"

Became a Charter HSI only customer in June or July of 2011 and started on the 15Mbps/3Mbps plan @ $29.99/month for 12 months. I bought my own modem which was a Motorola SB6120 (now using a SB6121) to avoid Charters then $5 modem rental fee. After the year promo had ended I think the price went to $45.99/month. Sometime in late 2012 early 2013 I was offered a chance to upgrade to Charter's 30Mbps/4Mbps plan @ $54.99/month which I am currently still on and speeds are always consistent with what was advertised. I suspect that the consistency is due to living in a small town connected to a node which has little to no congestion.

Install was quick, tech (local contractor) showed up on time and didn't have to do a whole lot inside besides reroute some of the existing wiring that was installed prior to us living in this house.

We've had I'd say about 8-12 outages since I've had the service and most of them were weather/power outage related. The first time I ever had to have a tech come out was towards the middle of Feb. 2014 due to squirrels damaging my drop line causing moisture to build up in it.

Aug 06, 2014 - Service is still excellent. Still waiting for Charter Spectrum to be available. I have a feeling it will happen soon.

Aug 07, 2014 - Spectrum Internet has gone live! Getting around 60 Mbps/4 Mbps and PowerBoost/Traffic Shaping is no longer active.

Estimating capacity:

Upstream: 4039 Kbps.
Downstream: 89122 Kbps.

The measurement will take up to 3.0 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 3957 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 63317 Kbps.

member for 152 days, 228 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

cpsf856

@169.145.3.x

Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

I am on day 3 of charter service. The reason that I moved off of Verizon to Charter was when I tried hooking up my apple TV to verizon DSL I was seeing 6 hour download times. After doing a little research I found that for $5 more a month I can try Charter. It came with a 12 month commitment, which is sub optimal but I figured give it a shot because as of now Apple TV is useless.

So the review - internet is faster, can download / stream content from anywhere instantly. I am amazed at how fast the download speed is. I hope the service stays as consistent over the course of 12 months. For now, moving from Verizon appears to be a good move.
B4Knight
JD
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

Re: Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

12 month commitment? Charter did away with contracts and commitments years ago.. Maybe they still offer them to people who want to lock in a lower rate, most likely bundled. They do have a 30 or 60 day money back guarentee though.

Charter is the only cable provider in my town and Frontier offers DSL with a maximum speed of 6mbps download and around 1Mbps upload. A few of my neighbors had Frontier and could only pull about 3Mbps download even during off peak hours. So for me Charter was a no brainer as Frontier would never meet my needs. Welcome to Charter and I hope your experience is just as good as mine has been for the past 2+ years

BinaryXtreme

join:2013-07-04
Sparks, NV

Re: Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

I'm on a 12 month commitment. I am bundled but neighbor isn't. He's on a 12 month commitment as well.

Review by shreezbot See Profile

• Location: Pelham,Shelby,AL
Good "The speed during the day when I'm not at home is great!"
Bad "The speed during peak hours when I'm actually at home using the internet is atrocious and unusable..."
Overall "Don't use Charter in Pelham, AL if you want to use the internet between 7:00 PM CST and 12:00 AM CST"

I've had issues with Charter for over a year now. I'm on the ultra 100 plan, and I've been fighting with support and we've run the gambit of possible resolutions. We've laid new wire in the yard and replaced the tap outside, and checked and replaced a number of other components They can't send someone out during the times when the problem is actually occurring, so they send a technician during the day and surprisingly they can't find a problem because everything is working as expected. I ask if someone can come out during the times I'm having troubles and they say they don't have anyone working during those hours. After a year of this mess, I was told that the switch to all digital on 7/22/2014 would help because capacity would be added to the network as a part of this upgrade. Since then, the problem has gotten worse during peak hours, and during non-peak hours, my speed has been cut in half. I was then told that it would be another month before more capacity could be added on August 8th.

Just to put my review in perspective, before the switch to all digital, I could at least get 100 mbps during off-peak hours. During peak hours, however, I usually can't get more than ONE (1) megaBIT per second (yes, bit, not byte!)... Now, since the switch to all digital on the 22nd, I can't get a speedtest over 50 mbps ever, even during non-peak hours.

Comments:

Review by george357 See Profile

• Location: Weaverville,Buncombe,NC
Good "Best choice available for my area"
Bad "Upload is on the slow side"
Overall "Better than DSL or other services in the area based on speed versus cost"

I first got Charter a year ago and have had exemplary service since then. The cost for bandwidth is by far the best available in this area (Weaverville, NC). I have only had to call support twice in the year of service and both of those were more for information rather than any problems. As long as Charter continues to provide this level of service I'll be a customer.

member for 4.9 years, 1932 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by vaxvms See Profile

• Location: Worcester,Worcester,MA
Good "The technicians that come to my place have been great."
Bad "Telephone support sucks. Too many CSRs are mindless script readers. BOTs are a PITA"
Overall "When things are good they are very good. When things a bad they are VERY bad."

Ordering service was quick and pleasant.
Installation was good. Installer did what I asked without hassle. Arrived when scheduled.
I HAD to get Charter phone service - Verizon service was a big problem. It's been fine.
I have my own modem and router so I don't have any Charter hardware.
I haven't had to use tech support yet.

update April 2008
Phone support is useless. 1) When I had a problem and called support the person wasn't interested in hearing my problem. The operator just wanted my name and address to send a tech. 2) One day my connection dropped. After waiting 2 hours I called support asking if there was a problem. They weren't aware of any problems and told me there must be a large area without service and I happened to be the first to report it. Not the case.
Techs visiting my home have found and fixed problems quickly. These fixes have been simple. I hop not-so-simple problems are resolved quickly.

update: July 2008
Phone support is still useless. Techs sent out to fix hardware problems have been knowledgable and make quick work of diagnosing and replacing broken hardware. The time to get a tech to my home has been very fast. Scheduled a visit on a Saturday morning and tech arrived in 4 hours.

Update January 2009
Things are slacking off. There have been many times where the net connection will drop a few times in a short period. No real pattern to when the connection drops. It doesn't take long to come back but it's more than just annoying when there's 3 or 4 dropped connections in a hour.
I've given up on calling tech support and the standard "There's an outage in your area. We don't know when it'll be fixed." response. Cable service has vanished a few times in the past couple months.

Update April 2009
Outages of all 3 services is becoming more common; at least once a month. Typically service is out for more than 4 hours. Calls to support require I give them my name, phone number, account number, address, and more before they tell me the standard "There's an outage in your area. We don't know when it'll be fixed." response. When service is restored it's back for less than an hour before it goes out again for half an hour. The "new" SA box I got had to be replaced after 3 months.

Update Oct 2009
Service has started dropping out sporatically in rainy weather. When it was happening last(?) year they replaced their box on the utility pole that had become full of water. Literally full of water. Techs were at the neighbor's house this week. Shortly after they arrived my service went out. It's been flickering ever since. Talked to the techs before they left. The techs said the neighbor was having problems with their 'net connection but they could find no problem. Powerboost was introduced a couple days ago.

Update Nov 2010
Network service has been stable.

Update Jun 2011
Phone support is still completely clueless to the real world.
A couple extended outages over the past couple months

Update November 2011
Home service: N/C
I work in downtown Worcester. We have Charter business service. When things are working they work well. When there are problems it can be a nightmare. But that seems to be the case with any service that is provided using wires in downtown Worcester.

Update July 2012
When service works, it's great. When there's a problem phone support is USELESS. For example: I call and report a problem. Tech support says there's no outage in the area. I ask Could it be I'm the first person to be reporting a problem? Support person response is NO YOU COULDN'T ' BE. Then a minute later tells me there is a problem in your area.
Upgrading from service I currently have to the new minimal service will cost me $15/month. Lord I wish there was some other provider available here.
ARRRRG!

30 minutes later
When service is out, phone support is LESS THAN USELESS

10/14/2012
Again I say
Charter phone support sucks farts out of dead dogs butts
both home and business service.

5/18/2013
Yet again I say
Charter phone support sucks farts out of dead dogs butts, both home and business service. 4 out of 5 CSR are completely ignorant and useles.
I've been forced to 30/4 service. I don't need or want 30/4 15/3 would be great. But Charter has declared that to be NFG. The only good thing to say about the required 30/4 service is getting a DOCSIS 3 modem from them.

9/2013
The new 2 option internet service sucks. Charter's offering of 100Mbps or 30Mbps combined with their attitude of 'You don't like it? Then go f*ck yourself' is ridiculous. What's next a 2 package tv offering? You can gave All channels and offerings for $500/month or basic plus a bunch of channels you'll never watch for $150/month.
Cable TV - updates to the software/firmware in the cable box have been happening while I'm watching TV. The show video&audio disappear when a blue screen pops up announcing an update. After the update finishes the show returns. These interruptions have been happening between 8 & 10 PM.
---
When my package deal ended and internet became 2 choices with no package deals ever again I called Charter to see what I could get. I had to speak with 3 ignorant persons before I got to 1 who knew what he was talking about. One of the persons I spoke with told me the price for internet service would never change. What? What do you mean it'll never change? Are you telling me the cost will never go up? The price will never change sir but there will be adjustments made to cover costs to provide the service. So I'll be paying more for the service. No sir the cost will never change.

10/2013
Charter's phone support system is USELESS!!!!!

04/2014
I dropped tv service. All I have is 30/4 internet service (dl faster than I currently need/want). It's fine but when there is any kind of issue phone support is almost never of any help. For example:

ME: My cable service is out. My neighbors too. Is there a problem in the area?
CSR: No one has reported problems in your area.
ME: Could it be that I'm the first person to report the problem?
CSR: No sir. That's not possible.
ME: ??? sigh...

Update July 2014
Many Charter techs don't know their *ss from their elbow. Some are extremely competent. Most should be flipping burgers at McDonald's. I've had the privilege to interact with both. Those that are competent are always amused at what the others say and do.

member for 9.4 years, 4180 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ChrtrFanBoy6

join:2012-07-02

useless

So they are not useless then? Good. 3

Duggue

Review

Hey - I'm in the Tri-Cities too. After fighting a losing battle with Verizon for many years, bagged 'em and got Charter Cable Internet. Wow!! Super-fast 15Mb/sec down, 3 Mb/sec upload. Had it a year now and only two outages the whole time. One tech support to my house, went well and fixed the problem. Started at $19.99 a month - has kept creeping up now to about $30.00. My only complaint!

Kevin a

@172.56.1.x

charter are criminals

I was told the same thing about the router. Even though I bought the one the suggested. Also the owe me $1478.54. When I was makinga payment they withdrew $770 instead of $77. It cause over$700 in overdrafts in my banking account. This was in March 2013. It is October and still haven't gotten my money back. They state that is to late