Charter page on DSLReports

Review by JWNelson See Profile

• Location: Columbia,Boone,MO
Good "Fast install and good speeds"
Overall "Best in Columbia but only available in a few neighborhoods"

Before moving to Columbia summer 2013, I spent some time researching the local options for Internet. I was aware that Mediacom was the local cable provider, though also knew Charter came up in some searches as available in the ZIP code I would be moving to (also comprising a lot of rural area north and south of Columbia) but wasn't sure what their actual service area was or if it compared adequately to "normal" Charter markets where they are the default franchise. I started by looking into Socket, which advertises local service, staff, and support. But also slow speeds and poor value for the price, with people I had already talked to using Socket not even getting the speeds they were paying for. I was familiar with CenturyLink from Omaha (see previous review) but while Omaha, at the time, could get 40 Mbps, Columbia topped out at 10 Mbps. (I have seen ads that they are now up to 20 Mbps in select areas.) Soon to be working from home, I needed faster download and upload speeds, so got approval from my supervisor for Mediacom 50/5 service and ordered. The service appointment was a week out. I cleared my schedule to be home when the tech was supposed to show up and install and he never showed up at the door. At the end of the time window I called Mediacom and they found the tech's notes that my address was not serviceable as Mediacom did not have any lines in this neighborhood (despite having taken my order). That was when I learned this neighborhood was actually one of the Charter-only neighborhoods. I called to order so I could get a live person to verify things for me, and the very next day -- less than 24 hours later -- I had service!

Speeds have been consistent between 30 and 50 Mbps during the day, with PowerBoost as high as 80 at the beginning of downloads. I am supposed to be on the 30/4 tier which will be bumped up to 60/4 when the local headend is upgraded to Spectrum/all digital. Currently, my DOCSIS 3.0 modem shows I am using 4 channels downstream and 1 channel upstream. There can be moderate congestion in the evenings which is my only complaint. While speeds are usually still good, ping times can become very slow when everyone is home and online.

The local Charter system remains a bit of a mystery -- we are in far north Columbia and there is a new Charter office just blocks away, but most of the businesses surrounding the Charter office are actually connected to Mediacom. Charter used to have a couple buildings in an industrial park nearby, with satellite dishes and a microwave and broadcast receiving mast, but the dishes and one of the buildings were torn down this year, leaving just one building with the Charter logo on it, a couple trucks parked, and the microwave/broadcast mast. It was originally a Falcon/Capital Cable plant and FCC records show that at one point in the '90s they only had a little over 250 subscribers. I am not sure if they still have a cable head-end here or if it has been consolidated with another town; while we do not have cable service, a few clear QAM channels come in with the Internet service if I connect a tuner to the modem's cable, and I know on "The Weather Channel" the local forecasts are all for Mexico, MO. IP hostname is *.stls.mo.charter.com indicating DHCP assignment is in St. Louis. I believe Charter used to have a local *.clma.mo.charter.com IP space but no longer.

We got a 6 month promotional rate of $29.99. The service will go up to $49.99 next month as the promotional period will have expired. I received the Cisco DPC3008 DOCSIS 3.0 modem with the installation. The tech originally had some trouble getting the Internet service to "lock" with the traps in place, so ended up doing a "homerun" install from the box on the side of the house across the basement ceiling and directly to the cable leading up to my office, bypassing the main splitter/distribution point in the house and the rest of the house wiring. Apparently the trap outside in the Charter box in my front yard blocks channels 3-75, but there is something else in the house that is further blocking signals to the rest of the house wiring. If I connect a TV to any other cable in the house and scan, I get a fuzzy picture on a couple analog channels in the upper 70s and no QAM at all. On the Internet cable, analog 2 and upper 70s as well as all the clear QAM channels positioned over ch. 75 come through.

Overall, very happy with Charter, though looking forward to the upcoming speed increase and more channel bonding as hopefully that will solve some of the evening congestion issues. They seem to be the best provider in Columbia as far as speed and value are concerned, if you are fortunate to live in one of the suburban neighborhoods they cover (mostly north of Blue Ridge Road or south of Nifong Blvd.). During the day, while I am working, I get a consistent download speed of over 30 Mbps and sometimes see as high as 70-80 Mbps for brief periods with PowerBoost. My wife and I do still occasionally run into buffering in the evening when watching Netflix, but far less often than she used to have with Socket!

I put together a map showing which provider serves which outlying areas around Columbia: »mapsengine.google.com/map/u/0/ed···N99eITxw Hopefully it will be helpful for others in the Columbia area.

1/23/14 - Just got on my computer this morning and had to reboot my router as the Internet was not working. When I checked the modem status page after the reboot, I found I now have 8 channel bonding downstream! Still just 1 channel upstream.

6/13/14 - We have 60 Mbps now! Powerboost to about 115 Mbps for the first few seconds of large downloads.

1/30/15 - No more PowerBoost, higher prices, and Charter email is basically unusable. That said, consistent 65/4.5 connection (60/4 advertised) and no real complaints. Using outlook.com for email now. Charter still beats all the competition in Columbia, MO. Just got Charter WiFi service ($5/mo.) and am very impressed. Review post here: »[HSI] Charter WiFi

member for 3.4 years, 743 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by theviperjohn See Profile

• Location: Great Falls,Cascade,MT
Good "Solid connection when you're online after midnight to 5pm"
Bad "You can't play games during peak hours since ping skyrockets and speeds plumit do to over congestion."
Overall "Not getting what I am paying for- a usable internet 24/7. Waiting for Class action lawsuit."

Tech support has no idea why your connection is slow and no other people in your area are having issues! (complete lie). Escalate the problem? they'll only give you some supervisor's email who will say there aren't any issues! (another complete lie). Technician out to your home? It's not his problem, your lag is outside charter's network! (another complete lie).

They're lying and stealing our money. Period.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:
Force440

Charter GJ, C.O. to Charter Billings,MT

All of the routers shown belong to Charter.
wispalord

join:2007-09-20
Farmington, MO

Re: Charter GJ, C.O. to Charter Billings,MT

it is not in charter its the peering point at bresnan I mean it's clearly in the picture of the incoming trace route

Re: Charter GJ, C.O. to Charter Billings,MT

hellogovna

@charter.com

hmm

charter only charges for 30 mbps they dont charge for 60, so if your pulling at least 80% of your speed they its looking good.. if you havent had a tech out then make sure you try that route because tech support can only do so much over the phone but usually the techs can check more when their out at least in my area they are great. good luck

Re: hmm

My connection speed is 60Mb/s and ping is 60 during the day.

Charter GJ, C.O. to Charter Casper,WY 7:00pm - 8:00PM

Just another example: The Lag that Charter Mountain Customers our experiencing in the evenings starts off on their network.
phoenixrain

join:2015-01-13
Ronan, MT

Re: Charter GJ, C.O. to Charter Casper,WY 7:00pm - 8:00PM

im here in montana as well, Polson area. Same problem here ive complained many times and most they have done is modem swap. last time they came i showed them a graph of the latency spikes every single night.. he said hed tell his supervisor. All was still the same until last night.... no ping spike!!! Did they fix something?

Re: Charter GJ, C.O. to Charter Casper,WY 7:00pm - 8:00PM

Just to clarify:
Charter purchased Optimum "West" (formerly Bresnan Online) Bresnan Online no longer exist. All bresnan.net shown on the charts belong to Charter... The DNS names haven't been changed or updated yet.

Review by Force440 See Profile

• Location: Grand Junction,Mesa,CO
Good "Every Time I've had an issues they were out the next day!"
Bad "Speeds in evening are Very SLOW! drop from 65 megabit per second to 12 and lower Ping times go from 40 to 200+"
Overall "Charter is now our new cable provider in our area. Every thing was OK until the Spectrum upgrade"

11 Years with Cable in our area... We started with Bresnan 2004

1-10-15: We have phone, cable, internet bundle
Currently dealing with super slow internet and obnoxious ping times from roughly from 6pm to 11pm every evening...
It progressively got so bad that I finally called on 1-6-15 and they were out the next day 1-7-15... issue still unresolved and getting worse... but they are keeping me well informed so far... Problem seems to be growing in our area so I am not the only one but "one of the 1st to report it"... I hope it get resolved in the next couple of days... Or we will have to switch to another provider... UPDATE SOON!

1-20-15:
Charter Makes Front Page News Tuesday Jan 20, 2015 Grand Junction Colorado:
The Daily Sentinel

Politicians & public Blast Charter over recent services troubles
"I'm here today, asking you, demanding of you, that we get this fixed now."
Scott Mcinnis
Mesa County commissioner

Link to the news article is in the forum

member for 10.8 years, 478 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Dogg
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

slowness

Many areas have experienced issues during and after the upgrades. I had sporadic internet speeds for 2 - 3 weeks following the upgrade, but has since been rock steady. Hang in there, and good luck.
Google is your Friend

3 edits

Re: slowness

Thankyou so much for the info... it gives me hope... I stopped using my computer in the evenings... My blood pressure goes up starts to coincide with the ping times... Just scared it might start to coincide with the packet loss too Its so frustrating!
cqarlo932

join:2010-07-06

Re: slowness

When Charter bought our Mom and Pop ISP,our speeds went to 430kbs down and 245kbs up. When we complained,they said this is high speed internet and the price went up to $54.99 a month. We have no choice, they are the only game in town.

Review by DaEnigma See Profile

• Location: Hood River,Hood River,OR
Good "I have a hard time find many good things..."
Bad "Slower than paid for speeds, unresolved system issues..."
Overall "Ignorant techs, poorly mantained system, issues are left unresolved..."

I have had the 100mb (but it is usually 18-70mb, which all my neighbors get on their 60mb lines...) service with Gold TV for 2yrs and it has been nothing but trouble... I recently dropped the TV service due to excessive noise problems during prime-time and dropped the phone service after the first 6months since it never worked correctly and dropped calls constantly. I now have just the Internet service and it has had the same problem since the beginning, line noise from outside my house wreaks havoc on the signal. This causes speed issues, latency problem, drop outs, and modem resets & and the techs can not seem to figure out the problem even after more than 30 truck rolls to my house. The have told me they can not escalate the problem and that I should look at other providers. Sadly the only other option I have is 6mb DSL and was told due to the distance it would probably be more like 3mb.

There have been times it has worked correctly but that only lasts for 2-5weeks then it goes back to the same problem, sadly I do not know what to do any longer.

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

WTF!!!

WTF!!! "told me they can not escalate the problem and that I should look at other providers"..

In other words.. "we don't know how to fix our own crap so you need to go elsewhere".

Who works at this so called "cable company?" One tooth Bob and his side kick Bubba??

Have you looked at your signal strength on your modem?? Probably 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.100.0

DaEnigma

join:2004-11-26
Hood River, OR

Re: WTF!!!

Signals always look good but the node always has packet-loss, and when we did have TV it would pixelate randomly throughout the day then badly during prime-time. Also when we had the digital phone it would randomly drop calls and garbled them on many occasion...

Downstream:

DaEnigma

join:2004-11-26
Hood River, OR

Re: WTF!!!

Funny too they always said the node was nowhere near capacity let alone overloaded...

Review by kbuffman1 See Profile

• Location: Auburn,Bay,MI
Good "works good"
Bad "nothing"
Overall "good price for 2 yrs"

Everything works as it should.Zoom modem is the way to go

member for 12.8 years, 2852 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by CoolMan See Profile

• Location: Tennessee
Good "Quite Reliable, Receive Speeds Promised"
Bad "Shutdown the VERY helpful Social Media/Direct Support team"
Overall "It's either Charter or AT&T U-Verse Internet (with 18Mbps being the fastest available at our address)..."

·Suddenlink
Overall Charter is reliable and we receive the speeds we pay for. We have the 60 Mbit/s plan (previously 30) which is one of only two plans offered now, with the 100 Mbit/s being the other. We do not subscribe to their TV or Phone service. When we originally subscribed Charter offered a 3 Mbit/s and 15 Mbit/s plan also. They also allowed customer owned modems when we subscribed. Late June 2012 they made a lot of changes to the company. There new CEO Tom Rutledge has made changes to the company that some people are not happy with such as: no longer allowing new customers to use their own modem, raising prices, dismantling the Social Media/Direct Support Team, no longer offering more competitive speed plans, and it really goes on and on...

Also an update to some of the above, Charter has now been officially allowing customer owned modems for several months now (in addition they do not charge a monthly rental for using theirs), they also modified the Terms/AUP in October 2014 and removed the specific number (250GB, 500GB etc.) of the bandwidth caps, these were very rarely enforced prior. They still have the the following stated which were standard years ago: "Excessive use of bandwidth that in Charter’s sole opinion places an unusually large burden on the network or goes above normal usage. Charter has the right to impose limits on excessive bandwidth consumption via any means available to Charter."

The first major issue we had was when we were initially installed the signal levels coming inside the premises were out of spec due to a problem with the incoming line that was replaced and buried underground much later since the connection worked for a while until the problem became much more worse and caused many problems. These problems as noted in the thread below have since been resolved, and since then we haven’t had any more connection or speed problems.

»[HSI] Cable Modem signal levels continue to drop

November 24, 2013 - Started experiencing issues with loss of sync at night to early morning; it only started occurring when the temperature outside was below 32°F. Called Charter and they sent out a really great technician who was able to find the issue and fix it. Apparently it was a HSI only trap/filter that had went bad and also a bad splice (which was allowing water in which would freeze and cause the modem to lose sync) of the underground cable where it comes up and connects to the cable that connects to the tap. After that we haven't had any other issues since then. We also changed our modem to another one that is capable of 8 channel downstream bonding since it is now available in our area.

December 19, 2013 - Experienced an outage from 2:40AM to about 4:30AM or so, it was back on some in between and went back down again. Called in and they said Charter was doing routine maintenance when something broke in this process which caused the entire area to go down. By 5AM it was up and running and stayed up and is all running normal now.

March 31, 2014 - Water was infiltrating in the down drop from the tap, had to have it replaced twice within this month (March), and at the bottom where it is coupled to the RG-11 before going underground now has a waterproof cover added by the technician. We believe it has helped as we haven't had the water infiltrating inside again yet which was causing packet loss and disconnections.

August 23, 2014 - Internet connection was down from 4:25PM to about 6PM, according to the automated IVR Charter was aware of the issue. Here at DSLR there were reports of DDoS attacks so that may have been a contributing factor.

October 30, 2014 - Experienced a very brief outage lasting only about 45 minutes, this was during the scheduled maintenance window.

December 8, 2014 - Speeds increased to 60 Mbps download, the new "Spectrum" service as Charter refers to it (which is all marketing). We do not have any issues with the connection to report currently and overall it has been rock solid for months.

January 10, 2015 - Updated 'Total Monthly Cost' at the top to reflect the $5 price increase implemented on internet only service.

member for 7 years, 712 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by nunya See Profile

• Location: O Fallon,Saint Charles,MO
Good "Good speeds. Not much else."
Bad "Foreign Tech / Cust. service - hard to understand, install fee, expensive"
Overall "Charter's new management is wrecking the company."

I ordered the 10/1 package bundled with video services. This is not my first dance with Charter. We've had a very tumultuous relationship for the last 18 years (I actually used to work there many, many moons ago). I requested a "Pole Only" installation this time due to various quality problems with installs in the past.

I supplied my own Motorola SB6120 rather than rent. When I called to get the modem activated, I had a very difficult time understanding the fellow on the other end. He kept wanting to schedule a tech appointment. I finally got everything going via Charters online services.

The speeds I'm receiving are near +/- the advertised speeds. Ping times seem to be a little longer than my DSL service, but shouldn't affect VoIP. This is day 1, so I will update later.

***

Update: I got my first bill and it wasn't as described on the phone. I was also told by other members that 10/1 is actually 10/2 now. So I posted in the "Charter Direct" forum (just regarding the speed) and received an almost instant response. It looks like everything is squared away. I bumped my "Tech support" rating up to *3* from a *1* based solely on the Charter support made available through this site.

***

Update: 3/7/11

It was about the time for my bill to magically increase after a one year term. I was able to post on Charter Direct here on BBR and get fixed back to a similar price point. No calling and waiting on hold to reach the right department. No trying to decipher foreign tech support.

For Charter having this tool available on BBR, I have raised my "tech support" rating.

Update 12/06/11

Got an upload increase. Speeds are good. I've had 2 major outages this year that were due to hardware failures in the OSP, one lasting 24 hours. The only major complaint I have with Charter at this time is their usage caps.

10/06/12

Earlier this year, I canceled the TV portion of the service and upgraded to 100/5 for $60/mo. The only reason I went with the 100/5 package is because of the usage caps. Otherwise 30 would have been fine for me. I'm very disappointed in Charters new pricing system and modem policy (I own my own modem and like it that way). From what I can gather, My bill will be increasing to around $100 / mo. when my term expires. I also understand that there is no longer any pricing flexibility for existing customers, so it looks like I'll have to consider different options in the near future.

I have had several outages since my last update. Some only lasting minutes, others lasting hours. One was caused by a contract installer working on the neighbors house.

Update 3/16/13

Last month, Charter arbitrarily raised my bill 1/2 way through our agreement. I decided to downgrade to the 30/4 plan. It's quite clear that Charter is essentially "chasing" customers off of the 100/5 plan by any means they see fit to use. I'm very disappointed in the ways Charter has changed since coming under new management.

I'm taking away stars for connection reliability, tech support, and value. Since Charter decided to eradicate all forms of tech support except call-in, they don't deserve a decent rating. The service is losing value as well.

Update 5/13/14

Taking away a star for value since Charter is now charging $55 for basic internet service. They've done nothing to try and add value to the service in exchange for across the board price increases.

Update 12/27/14

Yet another price increase from Charter. It seems like semi-annual price increases are the norm for this company. Now at $60 / month, a 20% price increase in less than a year.

member for 14.1 years, 6322 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

bruisingfour

@68.184.244.x

you didn't mention...

Your price will only increase for one of two reasons, you agree to a plan change, or your contract states a price increase which happens at the 12 & 24 month marks. You also didn't mention that between May and Decembers post where you talk about a 20% price increase that your internet went from 30Mbps d/l (from your post) to a 100 Mbps d/l (from your speed test). Seems likecyou got some value for the price increase.

techie02

@71.11.1.x

Re: you didn't mention...

That is not correct. There was an annual price hike for internet services for 2015. So if he wasn't on a promo then yes his price did increase.

cork1958
Cork
join:2000-02-26
After being with Charter for 17+ years, I just about know when the annual increase is coming before ever getting any letter or anything.

It's a given that it's coming every year though.

Can't wait for them to start charging for modem's again and start adding the below the line charges like there's no tomorrow. You KNOW that's coming also!
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Review by bkjohnson See Profile

• Location: Birmingham,Shelby,AL
Good "Speed & Reliability"
Overall "Very happy with Charter. Wish I had switched earlier."

Still happy. Added phone service. Internet getting better over time - increased speed, very reliable.

member for 12.7 years, 5391 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ZaC851

join:2014-12-28
Helena, AL

Other than price, no complaints

Same here. I'm not thrilled about the pricing but I have their 100/5 internet service in Birmingham, AL as well and regardless of the time of day, I always get at least 98-103Mbps download speeds which is great since I download a lot of media. Not only that, but it almost never goes out.

I had charter years ago when I lived in NC and I had their number memorized I was calling them so much to report problems. I was lucky to get half of the speed I was paying for at the time, half of the time, the internet would be nearly unusable on weekday nights when most people were using it and outages were a weekly thing.

Review by cralt See Profile

• Location: Harwinton,Litchfield,CT
Good "Fast. Getting what I paid for. "
Bad "COMCAST is taking over this system soon. I will cancel when that happens. "
Overall "Good price for the speed. Reliable. Company installer did good job. "

I like charter's order system. Was able to do it all online and pick my time slot. In-house installer showed up on time and did install in dark and in poor weather.
I could have had it installed in under 24 hours from order...they where calling me trying to come out because they had an install timeslot open up. I couldn't do it so I kept my original time. Which was still only 3 days from time of order.

Speed is reliable and consistent. 55-60M down. Around 4 up. I pay 39/month for internet only. The modem rental is free. They gave me a new D3 modem.

Its not a contract. The price is just good for 12months. I can cancel anytime.

member for 4 years, 145 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by KoukiMonster See Profile

• Location: Alhambra,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Fast connection when it works"
Bad "Constantly disconnects for a minute or two throughout the day and night"
Overall "Cheap but drops randomly and is very annoying. "

I recently moved to Alhambra, CA a week ago and had to choose between ATT Uverse 18Mbps and Charter 60Mbps. Charter was only $39.99 plus a small installation fee of $29.99. They actually were able to come out the same day to install when I told them I needed to rush it which was awesome of them.

I opted for just their cable modem and was given an Arris TM1602 and was immediately getting 62Mbps. I'm directly wired in through my Asus RT-N56U and then to the supplied Arris modem. However, within a day I noticed the internet would just stop working for a minute or two and then come back on full speed. This problem would start to happen everyday no matter what time of day. I called tech support and they sent a technician out and said the signal was too strong so he spliced it. It seemed to help for a day then the problems started up again. When the internet works, its very fast and awesome but the intermittent loss of internet is extremely frustrating when I'm browsing or gaming or downloading or streaming. I'm not sure what else Charter can do.

I am currently using Google DNS as well.

Update 12/18/2014. I called Charter again and Tech Support Rep acknowledged he can see some type of in and out connectivity issue so he sent a field technician out to me today. Field Technician arrived and said he checked everything and said he didn't see any connectivity issues at all and said the Tech Support lied to me (I find this very unusual and unprofessional that Field Tech would say this). Field Tech replaced connections outside and said I'm the only one that is complaining in this area and that its probably my new laptop that is having some hardware issue...We'll see how the next week pans out.

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Signal

Sounds like you might be on the edge of your approved signal strength..

In order to see your signal strength. go to 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.100.0

»www.speedguide.net/faq/what-cabl···-good-78
KoukiMonster

join:2014-12-10

Re: Signal

Can't load any of those gateways.

Pisgah Rider

join:2004-04-08
Inman, SC

DNS Servers

Change your dns servers in your router. There are know issues with charters.
KoukiMonster