Charter page on DSLReports

Review by dispatcher21 See Profile

• Location: Walla Walla,Walla Walla,WA
Good "After most recent pricing change and speed bump, its pretty awesome"
Bad "None really. Good speed, good uptime and price isnt bad"
Overall "For this area, best value for the speed. Good price for internet/phone bundle"

New review since its been a while since the original and a lot has changed. Current speed of 60/4 is awesome and their new price structure is not too bad. For this area, they have the best speed for the price. In the several years I have been with them, only a couple outages and a few brief interruptions, connection is stable. Phone techs are not to bright but the techs on the trucks in this area are pretty with it. I recommend Charter to everyone in town.

Comments:

Review by mixdup See Profile

• Location: Calera,Shelby,AL
Good "Nice, stable connection. 100Mbps connection even out in the suburbs of Birmingham, Alabama"
Bad "Had trouble getting things installed originally, especially on the TV side with CableCard equipment."
Overall "Decent service, definitely see an improving trend, but still not perfect."

I've been a Charter internet customer now for about four or five years, but just now getting around to reviewing them. The price listed is the price I was paying for internet only, although I have since switched to a bundle so my internet price, as a line item, is probably half what is listed. However I thought it most fair to list their unbundled price for the package I have.

My original install five years ago was perfectly smooth and uneventful. I was able to call and schedule the install without issue. As far as I remember, the installer showed up at a reasonable point in the install window. This was a new house so they ran a brand new underground line from the tap to my house (which was only about 10-15 feet). Speeds have been exactly as advertised the entire time I had them (it was a 15mbit down plan originally) and has generally been stable. About a year ago I had problems with my modem losing sync every time it got reasonably cold, but it never got to the point that I called support about it. Eventually that issue went away, so I am assuming they fixed it. Since then, it's been rock solid, excepting the very very occasional issue with packet loss that honestly could be outside of Charter's network.

My only criticisms are generally around the TV product. They have a decent HD lineup, but of course satellite beats them. However, their bundle pricing beats the pants off Charter Internet + DirecTV for TV. The main problem I had was that I am a CableCard/TiVo customer, and their install process for CableCard sucks. The original TV installer did not have them on the truck, and the ones he eventually brought did not work. Missed appointments, no one able to get it work. Eventually I had to escalate through a Charter employee who happens to monitor DSL Reports occasionally.

Also, they have a very steep install fee ($200) that they will not, under any circumstances (even as compensation for two weeks of missed appointments) ever budge on that applies to their 100mbit internet plan. I would really, really like to upgrade to this plan but right now it's 100/5, and that low upload speed doesn't really justify doubling the price and paying $200 (essentially paying for the modem, which you must rent, and the tech to come out and verify your signals)

Overall they are decent, but the customer service aspect is mediocre as you would expect from a cable company. They are much improved from their bankruptcy days, and I hope that trend continues.

UPDATE:

I am moving from a Charter area, but wanted to update this review before I move.

Lately my internet has been very stable. Had some trouble with World of Warcraft, but that could be due to WoW servers, not necessarily Charter. They have gone all digital on the TV side and the channel lineup beats satellite hands down. Plus, it's still cheaper than satellite + stand alone internet. Still wish they would provide more than 5Mbps for the upload on the Ultra 100 internet tier.

member for 11.4 years, 909 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Seranos See Profile

• Location: Lawrenceville,Gwinnett,GA
Good "is faster than ATT ( but who isn't)"
Bad "Horrible reliability and customer (non) support"
Overall "if you do not have another choice, then is ok I guess"

Ordering the service is a breeze. They make it so easy and nice that you would think this is how is going to be. Well the good service stops there. Installation time is a joke. Is like in that movie where the guy waits for you to be at the bathroom, ring once and then run. They have missed the time under the pretense that no one was at home. Well I have a video system and told them I can prove that no one from Charter showed up. Customer (non) service could not care less. Long story shorty they show up 2 weeks later, finally the service is installed. Now, the service itself is ok when it works. But.. there is some packet loss, reliability is so ..so when: is windy, rains, in the afternoon when the network is loaded, when some one from Charter messes up with the network. Over all is the last resort if in your area there is no other provider. But let me tell you, is by far better than ATTs service.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

Review by riekajb See Profile

• Location: Salida,Stanislaus,CA
Good "Fast when working"
Bad "Doesn't work all the time"
Overall "Unreliable"

I haven't gone a week without interruption since I have been using it.
They sent someone onsite who replaced my modem (from Motorola SB 6121 to a Arris) and that still didn't resolve the disconnects.
Not happy with the support or the onsite techs.
One is coming onsite tomorrow to try and resolve this again, if that doesn't work then I will have to go to ATT because I can't get Comcast.
I've heard back things about ATT.

Comments:

Review by Chubbysumo See Profile

• Location: Duluth,Saint Louis,MN
Good "Faster than area competition"
Bad "Phone support is still useless, the local office is the placed to go"
Overall "Speeds are still stable, and getting 90+mbps all the time"

Still faster than Qwest(but they now have a 40mbps tier here).

Services I currently have are:

100/5 ultra 100 tier

115 per month flat, since no taxes on internet offerings are legal yet. I also own my own modem, and yes, you still can use them, charter just will not support issues with them.

Still on it, still working without interrupts. I do get the full 60mbps down, its just that most speed test sites and servers cant handle it simply because of capacity and finite bandwidth. I had a tech here for 3 hours to prove it, and he did. Just open a bunch of downloads and see for yourself. Far servers that can handle fast tests are too far away to EVER report full bandwidth. Good customer service, Phone customer service has improved, but not by much.

UPDATE: Speedtest.net and other sites now are able to go the full 65 that I can get down, and the 5.2 up that I get. It is still worth paying for the speed, when caps are not enforced in my area, and I dont have to wait for large files. Plus, if they did enforce the cap, I could eat thru it in less than a day. Total theoretical download per 31 day billing cycle is just over 19TB(yes, that is terabytes), so the 500GB cap is easily passed, at least for me.

Update 1/24/12: still works flawlessly. Only a few outages, and they were all caused by drunks hitting poles. Upgraded to ultra 100 from ultra 60, and its cheaper. I did have a few issues with a botnet that was also a charter customer spamming my IP with a portscan and DoS attack, but after submitting a complaint it was resolved within an hour. Stick within the ToS, and enjoy the faster speeds that they can offer.

Update 4/10/12: still going fast, and no outages(aside from maintenance at early morning). Still getting at least 95 down, and my full 5 up. Price went up, with the ultra100 tier, and basic plus expanded service the total bill is now $185 before taxes and "fees", and the total after is around $205. Also added HBO and Showtime because of a promo, which makes them free for 2 months. Charters OnDemand selection is actually quite impressive, and compliments their services very nicely, so look around it before you say its not worth it.

Update 10/1/2012: service is still fast, and actually got a little cheaper, with the bill coming in at $180(dont ask me how, i dont know). download and upload speeds are dead on, and don't even fluctuate during peak usage hours. TV is still stable and channels all come in.

Update 11/7/13: Now just an internet only household, since I cut the cable about two months ago. The cap for the ultra100 tier is still not enforced here yet, since i regularly go over, that's a good thing. Finally got the wiring issues sorted out in the new apartments, but I had to run a new line in from the tap. price could be better, but when your competition only offers 6mbps for about the same price, its not really that hard of a decision. Keep getting sales pitches now that I cut TV, and even after I opted out, i still get them. Its been over a year of near flawless service, with a few hiccups that the local office was more than willing to help me out with.

Comments:
dv8ed

join:2010-11-06
Montebello, CA

modem

What is the model of your modem? I've replaced two Motorola SBG6580 on Charter already.
Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI

Re: modem

Now I have the Motorola SB6121, but I had a blue Ubee modem before.
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Benching Far Test Sites

If you are using Windows XP or earlier, make sure your RWIN is big enough. 60Mbps is pretty fast and XP is tuned for LAN response times. If you are using Vista or greater, tuning is automatic so this shouldn't be a problem. The newer stack responds to high bandwidth and/or high latency by automatically increasing the RWIN.

If you are using OSX or a Unix variant, check if they have auto RWIN tuning. If not, consider trying to determine what the RWIN is and the OS supports auto tuning. If auto-tune is not available, consider increasing your RWIN. For instance, if it's 16K bytes, try doubling it to 32K. If you have low packet loss, increasing it should not cause issues. If there's some packet loss, making it bigger will mean a lost packet will cause a longer stall and recovery -- so it's good to tweak gradually.
Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI

Re: Benching Far Test Sites

never had issues getting the full 100mbps(still get it). I quit using XP ages ago, and if you read the updates, its now the ultra100, and I have no issues with it.

Review by Tweak3d See Profile

• Location: Coos Bay,Coos,OR
Good "Speed, price, speed, happiness."
Bad "Latency fluctuates a bit at peak times"
Overall "Dollar to mb ratio is reasonable."

So far Charter has lived up to everything that they have said. Install time was right on the money (Sunday even).
Service has been pretty near flawless. 3 months and I haven't had to call tech service yet.

My big WOW is that the price is $25 cheaper than my old DSL and I am getting 20x the speed.

So far I am very happy. I will post if things so south.

Comments:

Review by zed260 See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Bradley,TN
Good "ok speed good customer service"
Bad "caps"
Overall "better then uverse"

good speeds and good tv service bad caps

switched to charter bissines due to caps

update nothings changed

update novermeber 2014 still using charter bussnuss will stick with bussnuss even though caps are no more "better support"

member for 3 years, 1428 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

oneoone

join:2010-01-20
Lagrange, GA

No Caps

Caps are not enforced in any way. You upgraded to business for no reason.
zed260
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
·Charter

Re: No Caps

said by oneoone:

Caps are not enforced in any way. You upgraded to business for no reason.

well i also like the better support i get like getting a tech out within 2 hours (turns out someone was stealing cable causing noise)

Review by RC0101 See Profile

• Location: Lolo,Missoula,MT

Service is unreliable, constant disconnects, rude customer service. Unfortunately the only option in my area.

Comments:

Review by tstolze See Profile

• Location: O Fallon,Saint Charles,MO
Good "So far so good, getting advertised speeds, low pings."
Overall "Price is right if you bundle."

I have only been with Charter for a day now. Techs came ran cable, hooked up my modem. I was up and running in less than 30 minutes. After they left I hooked up my network, no problems, just cloned the Mac of the original computer hooked up and off it went. Stayed connected for 4hrs 15 minutes, then I couldn't connect. Called customer service, rep stated there was no modem associated with my account. I gave her the Mac of my modem and all has been fine since, ten minutes on the phone, can't complain. I have the 3.0/256 package, speed test are 2900/280, pings are equal to my Centurytel DSL. Have not been able to get trackpass working, hopefully it just takes time to work through the system, as I was told this is part of the HSI package. Also had to call as my account number wasn't recognized by the system to setup my account access and email. Took about 15 minutes, rep did it from his end, I gave him the username and password(which I have changed) and I was able to access after about a five minute wait..

Update on trackpass: Used Charter's online support chat, after concluding I was doing everything correct, the rep gave me the number for Nascar tech support. Called and they gave me a temporary username and password. They think my information probably has not made it through the system yet.

Update: All I have to say is watch your bills. I was warned about this, and now I have had to call on my first two bills. I was billed a total of $110 to much between my first two bills, they did fix it quickly, hopefully things will be okay from here...

Update 6/5/06

Been on the new 10/1 tier for a week now, speeds and pings are consistent in my area. Although the price is a little steep, I greatly needed the upload for gaming, website updates and a wife that loves to send pictures to Sam's Club by the hundreds! At 2 megs each it used to take a very long time, she is happy now, and a great excuse for me to get more bandwidth. Still say watch your bills, and my Trackpass stopped working after the upgrade, time to call and see what is going on...

Update 4/1/07

Connection still stable, had some more billing issues after I added HD to my TV package. Went through some long outages this winter, seems the backup in my node is capable of running 3-6 hrs on a full charge. Overall I am satisfied, would like more HD programming, I am sure that will come with time. My 12 month deal is up the first week of May. I do have some decisions to make, as normal pricing is to expensive.

Update 5/4/07

I am done, have Centurytel, and Dish Network coming back next week.

Had another "bill" issue, overcharged by $50+ for the month. Called and got a horrible rep on the phone. Seems every 2-3 months I have to call to get my bill fixed, then the wrong amount is still charged to my credit card and the credit shows up on the next bill. I wouldn't mind, but I have to analyze each bill to make sure it is correct.

(Update) 11/28/2011 I am now a Charter customer again, stuck with Centurylink as long as I could, now that they announced they will have a cap starting in February 2012, my reasons for not switching are gone. I have been in need of more upstream for some time now, with Charter I have it, signed up for the 18/2 and am receiving the upcoming tier of 30/4. Speedtest with Powerboost have been running 50/4 with large downloads settling in at 30 down. So far so good, I'm impressed, now let's hope the billing bugs don't creep into my account again, as that was my reasons for leaving in 2007.

11/24/12: We have been back with Charter for a year now. It works as advertised, no billing issues as in the past....What can I say, I now recommend Charter to my friends and family, this is a complete 180 from the past..

Purchased a tuner card for my server and now have Charter TV service using a Cable Card setup. Just testing now, waiting for Ceton to release the new media center extender. At that time I will cancel Dish. Charter TV will save us $40/month over Dish with a 922 DVR.

Update 10/19/14... Almost 3 years back, with few issues. Last Winter I was experiencing loss of phone/internet on nights it was below 10 outside. Sent a tech out and found the connection from my drop to the pedestal was corroded. Put a new connector on the cable and all is well.

I am in the St. Louis region so our speed upgrade was to 100 down, still 4 up. Speed test run over 100 at all times of day, typical is 109/4.4.

Still using my Windows Media setup with a Ceton tuner and Ceton Echos at the TV's. Very happy with the service even though we have lost our promotional pricing.

member for 11.3 years, 5429 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Ripperjack See Profile

• Location: High Ridge,Jefferson,MO
Good "You get internet... most of the time."
Bad "Unstable connection speeds, pricing is confusing, if you need tech support it really helps if you can speak Hindi or Punjabi."
Overall "It's usually faster than AT&T and in most cases it's your only choice if you live in mid-land USA... so, meh."

I used to work for Charter, as a consultant in their software division. If you think customer service is a shambles, try working for them in office.

The company runs on endless meetings, achieving nothing and they have more self imposed red tape you have to wade through, than the US government.

It's no surprise nothing ever gets done!