Charter page on DSLReports

Review by PacketHauler See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Dakota,MN
Good "Quick install, free modem, reliable service, solid connection speed"
Bad "Upstream speed needs a bump, TV services are lackluster"
Overall "Great service for the money"

I've been a DSL customer for almost 2 years now, here in Farmington. The DSL service was rock-solid. However, the upstream speeds were killing me when I worked from home. 768k wasn't enough. I move large files to and from work when I'm remote. Reluctantly I went back to Charter. I just setup the install appointment on charter.com, with the Internet only package. I received the Internet Plus package for $30/mo for the first 12 months, then it bumps to $45/mo. Honestly, to get 30Mbps down, and have it consistent, I have no problem paying $45/month. I ordered the service on Friday, and they were out to install it the following Monday, so 1 business day turn around time is pretty good in my book.

The modem they provided me was the Cisco DPC3208. I work as a network engineer, and I was thrilled to see they are offering much better quality modems these days. The only time I've had to reboot the modem is when there was an outage last month. Other than that, I've left it alone. Signal strength has been excellent.

Honestly I think the issue most people experience with Charter, or any other ISP, is poor wireless signal quality as most neighborhoods are saturated in the 2.4Ghz band. I have almost all of my devices on the 5.8GHz band, and I've always been able to pull 30Mbps down during peak traffic periods at night. Netflix has always been in SuperHD, and I've always been able to get Amazon's 1080p streams as well at night. That is my benchmark for how an ISP handles its peering points. I don't use Charter's DNS servers however, I've opted to use OpenDNS, as I've had great experience with reliable DNS service. This might be partially why I've had good luck with Amazon Video and Netflix.

There was only 1 outage that I knew of, that lasted no longer than an hour or so early in the morning. I've never been kicked off VPN sessions while using the Charter service.

For $30, you really can't be the speed or the reliability. If my experience changes, I will update my review accordingly.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by political_i See Profile

• Location: Bozeman,Gallatin,MT
Good "Service, speed, reliability"
Bad "Sales people, peak hour sees 33% reduction, modem continuously disconnects"
Overall "If you want a fast connection, good installation, get on board"

UPDATE (4/14/14): I am getting a bit tired of my modem continuing to disconnect from my Airport. I am not sure if this is equipment or on the headend.

UPDATE (2/7/14): Speeds were just increased to 30/4. Restarted the modem and now have full speed. Still $40 a month. I cannot apparently get fiber to my house but I think that may change not too far from now.

I was moving into a residence with Centurylink 6/1 so I decided I wanted to get a faster connection and go with Charter. When on the phone, they tried to sell me the triple and double plays which was absolutely irritating. I was able to negotiate them for 15/2 for $40 a month. Had I known I could be serviced by fiber, I probably would've tried to negotiate further. I setup the install for a Friday and could have gotten the install done two days earlier but given my schedule that was a no can do. I setup an appointment from 3-5 pm. I ended up receiving a call at 2 pm on the day of installation saying the installer would be there in 10 minutes. I was a bit stunned due to my 2 hour window. I would rather have it early than late but still a bit annoying since I had to cancel an appointment all of a sudden due to the installation.

The installer was done quickly in 30 minutes and quite nice. Apparently, I managed to lose some of my keys and he returned them the same day. That earned some good points.

I once accidentally hit the standby button on the modem, called tech support but that took a bit more time due to the automated prompts and going through those. Luckily, I was able to get someone without being on hold and they were helpful.

One complaint I do have is peak hour congestion that it drops from 15 to 12 most times. I do have some issues with stream HD video from CBS with some drops here and there but I have had worse connections due to routers. During non-peak I can get up to 17 megs. I am not sure I will stick around since my roommates are considering switching to Montana Opticom which delivers 77 symmetrical for $70 per month.

Overall: I prefer Charter over Centurylink based on customer service and speeds offered. I will probably be switching to fiber to the home if my roommates want it.

member for 155 days, 120 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

B4KN1GHT

@charter.com

Charter SW Michigan

I'm very happy with my service, just wish they had higher upload speeds If fiber were available I too would probably switch!

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

30x4?

Crap. We still have the 30x5 package. Hopefully they don't drop us down a MB if we move.

I've been with this company since they were Bresnan. They've always been rather decent and I've never seen major fluctuations in speed.
political_i

join:2013-11-12

Re: 30x4?

Given my location in the Oak Springs sub in Bozeman, I have a conduit box for Opticom but they don't want to run fiber. Honestly, I would rather build an Open Access Network.

I do see speeds decrease during peak hours. I would suggest asking. I do wish Charter would just upgrade 30/4 to 30/5 across their service area.

Review by blomywhistle See Profile

• Location: Worcester,Worcester,MA
Good "Install was fine, modem provided"
Bad "Horrible service. Slow all the time; barely usable at peak times"
Overall "Never met anyone happy with Charter."

Installation was good. Speeds can be ridiculously slow, and are never consistent. I believe Charter claims something like "up to 30Mb downstream" - it's hard to know what I'm getting at this point since it's not stated on my account or bill. Most times I am at about 7Mb, but Friday and Saturday evening speed tests leave me praying for a stable 1Mb.

Bottom line is that Charter offers speeds of "up to" whatever imaginary number they think sounds cute for the price they are charging.

member for 12 years, 936 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
baja7475

join:2009-06-16
Atascadero, CA

Please to meet you.

Hi my name is Geoff. Now you have met somebody happy with Charter

Review by timcuth See Profile

• Location: Pelham,Shelby,AL
Good "Much faster than advertised"
Bad "Yard digging to bury the cable"
Overall "Excellent, so far"

·AT&T Southeast
I had been on DSL for a long time, but it became apparent that the phone company would never upgrade me from 3 mbps to modern speed. So, I had to make the switch to cable.

The first speed test at the modem showed 61 mbps. Wow! They only advertise "up to 30". Wireless speeds within the home are 25-33 mbps. Upload speeds are around 4.3 mbps via wireless. I am happy, to say the least.

member for 13.5 years, 6014 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Mich12yahoo

@mycingular.net

Horrible Customer Service

Called requesting new service - long story short. Very weak customer service. I kept repeating myself to each person I spoke to. They lost my info each time I was transferred to a new representative. Speaking to ONE person doesn't exist. One girl had such a bad attitude I thought she was going to reach out over the phone after I asked her why she was transferring me. Horrible horrible- please do not use them. Stay away!

Review by Longview See Profile

• Location: Waupun,Dodge,WI
Good "The install was very quick."
Bad "Pray that you don't have to deal with support."
Overall "I will be leaving them soon."

»speedtest.ookla.com/result/2560318829.png

This is a review of Charter's TV/Internet(15Mbps) package. Our HD television becomes pixelated every once in awhile. It has gotten worse in the last 3 months. The internet was solid for the whole two years until the last week. Now my speeds have dropped to what I have posted above. After chatting with tech support, I restarted my modem and router. No change in speeds. The next tech told me I needed to get a new modem(which they would ship for free) and I would have to upgrade to 30Mbps for an extra $2/month. I agreed to that. I was then called by Charter about an hour later and told that I would be receiving a cancellation fee as my contract had not run out. They would wave the fee if I would switch to a new package, which would have been approximately $50 more per month. My contract runs out in 16 days. I told them to cancel the new modem and new package. I tried unplugging my modem for 10 minutes. After repowering and power cycling my router, I suddenly had 33Mbps down/3Mbps up. This lasted for about an hour. Now my speeds are back to what I got in the test above.

Charter's service is very good, until something goes wrong. I will be saying goodbye to Charter in 16 days.

Comments:
B4Knight

Charter Review

Sorry to hear that you've had a bad experience with Charter lately. Have you had any technicians actually come out and check on things?

I've been a HSI customer only for over 2 years now and I've had very few problems during that time. Customer support has been quite good and the techs that I've had knew what they were doing and were able to answer just about any questions I had. I do wish that Charter hadn't consolidated their speed tiers, as it makes it unappealing for those on a tighter budget. However in spite of that I personally get the speeds I pay for at virtually any time of day or night. Looking forward to the speed increase later on this year even though the upload is staying the same. Once they complete the all digital transition though there is no excuse not to increase upload speeds.

Its unfortunate that you feel the need to leave, best of luck with whoever you choose to be your next provider

wiegeit02

join:2014-01-06

Re: Charter Review

I had Charter internet for the past several years and generally have been satisfied with it, the only negative was
more latency than I would have expected around 80ms on average which despite having 25 Mbps it seemed quite a bit slower than that. Phone CSRs were polite, fairly well trained....

The biggest flaw is with the ridiculous single speed tier and a whopping price too. No other choices. Stupid and customer
UNfriendly in the biggest way. Not all customers can afford such a luxury of 30-60 Mbps and just as many have no need for those speeds at all and certainly do not want to pay for something they will never use. That is the fault of
arrogant CEO Tom Rutledge and his posse of wealthy clowns staffing the posh executives offices in one of the most wealthy locations in the USA, Stamford CT.

I was more than satisfied with my original Internet Lite
tier package at 1-3 Mbps at 19$-25$/mo. But I was led off that tier with a special promo and told I could return to that package when the promo expired, but that next year the Internet Lite tier was GONE!

Thanks Tom Rutledge.

Re: Charter Review

I can see where you are coming from. I can see Charter not allowing customer owned modems anymore to lessen truck rolls possibly but consolidating into 2 speed tiers is pretty stupid. If anything they should have a 15/2 tier or lower, 30/5, 60/8 or 60/10, and for those who can afford it 120/15 or 120/20. 15/2 tier should be priced at $25-28/month everyday price not promo. I think it's more of bragging rights for Charter than anything else

Review by B4Knight See Profile

• Location: SW Michigan
Good "Good speed and pretty reliable"
Bad "Upload speeds are slower than competitors"
Overall "Happy with service but upload bandwidth could use improvements"

Became a Charter HSI only customer in June or July of 2011 and started on the 15Mbps/3Mbps plan @ $29.99/month for 12 months. I bought my own modem which was a Motorola SB6120 (now using a SB6121) to avoid Charters then $5 modem rental fee. After the year promo had ended I think the price went to $45.99/month. Sometime in late 2012 early 2013 I was offered a chance to upgrade to Charter's 30Mbps/4Mbps plan @ $54.99/month which I am currently still on and speeds are always consistent with what was advertised. I suspect that the consistency is due to living in a small town connected to a node which has little to no congestion.

Install was quick, tech (local contractor) showed up on time and didn't have to do a whole lot inside besides reroute some of the existing wiring that was installed prior to us living in this house.

We've had I'd say about 8-12 outages since I've had the service and most of them were weather/power outage related. The first time I ever had to have a tech come out was towards the middle of Feb. 2014 due to squirrels damaging my drop line causing moisture to build up in it.

Overall I'm happy with the service and look forward to the free speed upgrade to 60Mbps/4Mbps. I'd say the only thing I wish for is more on the upload side.. I'd be very content with a 60Mbps/8-10Mbps plan

member for 27 days, 40 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

cpsf856

@169.145.3.x

Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

I am on day 3 of charter service. The reason that I moved off of Verizon to Charter was when I tried hooking up my apple TV to verizon DSL I was seeing 6 hour download times. After doing a little research I found that for $5 more a month I can try Charter. It came with a 12 month commitment, which is sub optimal but I figured give it a shot because as of now Apple TV is useless.

So the review - internet is faster, can download / stream content from anywhere instantly. I am amazed at how fast the download speed is. I hope the service stays as consistent over the course of 12 months. For now, moving from Verizon appears to be a good move.

Re: Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

12 month commitment? Charter did away with contracts and commitments years ago.. Maybe they still offer them to people who want to lock in a lower rate, most likely bundled. They do have a 30 or 60 day money back guarentee though.

Charter is the only cable provider in my town and Frontier offers DSL with a maximum speed of 6mbps download and around 1Mbps upload. A few of my neighbors had Frontier and could only pull about 3Mbps download even during off peak hours. So for me Charter was a no brainer as Frontier would never meet my needs. Welcome to Charter and I hope your experience is just as good as mine has been for the past 2+ years

BinaryXtreme

join:2013-07-04
Sparks, NV

Re: Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

I'm on a 12 month commitment. I am bundled but neighbor isn't. He's on a 12 month commitment as well.

Review by Dial_a_Tech See Profile

• Location: Beverly Hills,Los Angeles,CA
Good "I like the green colour of the word Good"
Bad "I had to type this review twice because it didn't save. Yes this is Charters fault."
Overall "I don't see a line at the bottom?"

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum.

member for 1.2 years, 69 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
tasmithe

join:2002-09-16
Graham, NC

??

This seems to NOT be a written review of Charter but rather a history lesson.

Review by mike8675309 See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Dakota,MN
Good "When it works it works, and a better value compared to alternate of DSL."
Bad "Typical cable company customer service"
Overall "Of the choices, they are the better value as long as you never need to call them for something."

·Frontier Communi..
Originally signed up with Charter when the phone company was jacking me around and said they couldn't have service for 3 days. I called Charter and they could have me up in 2 hours. And they did. I started with phone and internet through charter eventually switch over to voip for phone so now just Internet. While I feel it is still too much, it is a better value than any other option I have around me. Unlike what I hear from other users of other services I do not notice any issues with streaming Netflix at high definition. Only real down side for me is if I ever need to call them now that I am a customer. Their phone system routes you all over the places and it is almost impossible to get to a human quickly and often times you get disconnected our routed to departments other than what you choose. I swear they hope you give up. That said, I've only had to call them twice in the past 2 years. And one note, the installers I've dealt with have been great.

member for 5.2 years, 130 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Dogg See Profile

• Location: Belleville,Saint Clair,IL
Good "Good speed, very reliable"
Bad "none"
Overall "Good service with great reliability"

Tech arrived on time and install took less than 1 hour. He ran a new cable from the pole to the house, and then a new cable to my computer room. I asked him not to install the Charter software and he left it off. Computer has been up and running great since.

Only outage was last month after major thunderstorms and tornadoes thrashed our area.

I have the 1500/128 GOLD package and I am getting every bit of the pipe and then some.

My only complaint is news service. Retention was only 2-3 days in some groups and download speed is limited to 128. However, in the last month or so, retention has increased to about 21 days.
**NOTE** my price is after a discount for also having digital cable tv service

Just thought that I should note that I've had this service for almost 3 years

Service is still very reliable and fast. I now have the 3000/256 package

I now have the 5M/512 package. d/l speeds are very good. Reliability has NOT been an issue for me, with the exception of a 2 day period of slowness during the 3M to 5M conversion.

EDIT: I've been on the 10M/1M package for the last year or so. Aside from a prolonged outage which was a result of the severe ice storm that struck the midwest last winter, I have had no outages. Even during the one outage, my Charter service was restored before my electricity. Overall I have been very pleased with my service and if my price drops as the result of the new 16M service I will be extremely happy.

UPDATE: Currently on the 16/2 package. Reliability has been exceptional. The last major outage was several years ago as noted in the EDIT above. Speed results are consistently in the 15/2 range.

UPDATE: Service was currently upgraded to the new 25/3 package. After upgrading my modem from an old Motorola 4102 to the new Motorola 6102, I am speed testing at 30/3.5. No other performance or trouble issues to note.

UPDATE: Now on the 60/5 plan. Been using this tier for approx. 2 months now. Speeds are good and testing shows avg. 62/5.4. Service has been reliable with no issues.

UPDATE: Was using the 100/5 package and downgraded to the 30/4 package.

UPDATE: Speeds were upgraded to 60/4 and consistently test at those speeds. No issues to report.

Comments:

Review by dirtyclyde See Profile

• Location: Buford,Gwinnett,GA
Good "don't know yet simi happy"
Bad "TM822A Modem SUCKS no DHCP"
Overall "my go back to AT&T crapee 6meg DSL Service I still have it"

Modem TM822a no DHCP have to place a old WRTSL545GS in between TM822 modem and 1000mb ASUS Switch to other PCs and Directv really SUCKS until I get another router,,,,
House wired for 1000mb service

my go back to AT&T crapee 6meg DSL Service I still have it 30 day try out...

Charter HSI 30/4mb good install but installer did not tell me only one PC can be hooked up because Charter modem disabled the DHCP on TM822A and will require a router between modem and switch....