Charter page on DSLReports

Review by megarock See Profile

• Location: Pacific,Franklin,MO
Good "Speeds are amazing when it works. "
Bad "Tech support is pretty much nonexistent now."
Overall "Business class my a$$. You should be ashamed selling it as such."

Charter's internet would likely work great if they weren't constantly trying to deny issues on their network. I had been a residential customer for years and dealt with constant issues that normally took weeks to get resolved when each time it ended up being a minor and easily fixable problem.

Instead you have to call, call, call and then call some more just to get some attention to the matter than another two to three weeks of calling to get it resolved. And lately a call to tech support can end you up on the phone for a half hour of horrible on and on sales pitches from the auto-attendant. To make matters worse I tried switching to business class for a more reliable connection and better tech support. For the price I pay I fully expected to get it. Needless to say a call puts you on hold for a very lengthy period, I get the same scripted "are you sure it's not YOU because there is nothing at all wrong with our stuff' crap I got from residential and the same slow, inept tech support that still takes a month and a half worth of calls to get something fixed.

Since I have no choice in another provider I am stuck with Charter but I am dumping the business class because all I've been doing is giving them even more money for the same horrible unstable internet connection and the same 'don't give a flying f*ck' tech support department. Not worth it at all so I can save $25 a month and have residential come out and hook up a modem and be done.

Business class my a$$!!

member for 13.2 years, 505 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by B4Knight See Profile

• Location: Colon,Saint Joseph,MI
Good "Consistent Speed, Pretty Reliable, Customer Service Has Been Good"
Bad "Upload Speed Is Lacking"
Overall "Overall Its Been Great, But YMMV"

Became a Charter HSI only customer in June or July of 2011 and started on the 15Mbps/3Mbps plan @ $29.99/month for 12 months. I bought my own modem which was a Motorola SB6120 (now using a SB6121) to avoid Charters then $5 modem rental fee. After the year promo had ended I think the price went to $45.99/month. Sometime in late 2012 early 2013 I was offered a chance to upgrade to Charter's 30Mbps/4Mbps plan @ $54.99/month which I am currently still on and speeds are always consistent with what was advertised. I suspect that the consistency is due to living in a small town connected to a node which has little to no congestion.

Install was quick, tech (local contractor) showed up on time and didn't have to do a whole lot inside besides reroute some of the existing wiring that was installed prior to us living in this house.

We've had I'd say about 8 outages since I've had the service and most of them were weather/power outage related. The first time I ever had to have a tech come out was towards the middle of Feb. 2014 due to squirrels damaging my drop line causing moisture to build up in it.

August 6th, 2014 - Service is still excellent. Still waiting for Charter Spectrum to be available. I have a feeling it will happen soon.

August 7th, 2014 - Spectrum Internet has gone live! Getting around 60 Mbps/4 Mbps and PowerBoost/Traffic Shaping is no longer active.

September 4th, 2014 - Added Spectrum Voice (Home Phone) for $29.99 and the lady put me on a new promo. I'm getting both Charter Spectrum Internet 60/4 and Spectrum Voice for $59.98/12 months. My POTS bill with Clear Rate Communications (CLEC in Frontier Territory) was around $60/month. I can get two services for the price of one now. Even after the promotion ends in 12 months it goes to $69.98/month which is still a good deal in my opinion.

Install is set for September 12th between 8AM-10AM. I guess that's the earliest they could get a technician to install the service, they must have a heavy workload right now. Seems like a long time, but I can wait.

September 12th, 2014 - Contractor arrived to install Spectrum voice. He arrived right around 8 AM and was finished in about an hour. He installed the phone on a separate coaxial line and mounted an Arris TM822A D3 Telephony Modem onto one of the beams in my basement. The coax for the internet and telephone run into a Atronix 2-Way Vertical Splitter and then out to the house box and so on. I opted to not get the battery backup right now as I have a cell phone. I know that E-911 location services don't work as well with cell phones, but I don't really care much about that right now. I can always add it in the future or buy my own UPS and do it myself.

Call clarity is just as good, if not slightly better than I had with my old POTS line. So no complaints there.

All in all it was a positive experience and I'm saving quite a bit of money now by bundling my internet and phone together.

member for 180 days, 272 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

cpsf856

@169.145.3.x

Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

I am on day 3 of charter service. The reason that I moved off of Verizon to Charter was when I tried hooking up my apple TV to verizon DSL I was seeing 6 hour download times. After doing a little research I found that for $5 more a month I can try Charter. It came with a 12 month commitment, which is sub optimal but I figured give it a shot because as of now Apple TV is useless.

So the review - internet is faster, can download / stream content from anywhere instantly. I am amazed at how fast the download speed is. I hope the service stays as consistent over the course of 12 months. For now, moving from Verizon appears to be a good move.
B4Knight
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

Re: Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

12 month commitment? Charter did away with contracts and commitments years ago.. Maybe they still offer them to people who want to lock in a lower rate, most likely bundled. They do have a 30 or 60 day money back guarentee though.

Charter is the only cable provider in my town and Frontier offers DSL with a maximum speed of 6mbps download and around 1Mbps upload. A few of my neighbors had Frontier and could only pull about 3Mbps download even during off peak hours. So for me Charter was a no brainer as Frontier would never meet my needs. Welcome to Charter and I hope your experience is just as good as mine has been for the past 2+ years

BinaryXtreme

join:2013-07-04
Sparks, NV

Re: Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

I'm on a 12 month commitment. I am bundled but neighbor isn't. He's on a 12 month commitment as well.

Review by gzt7d8 See Profile

• Location: Swartz Creek,Genesee,MI
Good "Speeds are more consistent since we went to 8 channels in June 2014"
Bad "Raised my rates $15/month and NO EXPLANATION!"
Overall "Spectum raised some downloads (30Mb to 60Mb) at no cost, but those on Ultra plan got no lift, so bad value for the $$"

Update September 11, 2014
Our area went to 8 channel bonding in June 2014. Since that time, my speeds are much more consistent even during prime time hours. Consistently get 100Mb+ on the download now, even during prime time hours 7pm - 11pm, my speeds are 90Mb+.

The only annoyance there is now is the fact that move to digital, Spectrum, raised the speeds of those from 30Mb to 60Mb plans, but us on Ultra got now lift so we are not getting any bang for our buck right now, considering dropping down a plan to get a better value.

eom

Update April 14, 2013
Charter removed their social media support here at the site and the downward spiral continues. Now they've raised my rates by $15/month and I got NO explanation why. And did we get any improved service................NO.

I'll say one thing, the first service interruption or slow down, I'm going to make sure they see how pissed I am.

eom
Update December 16, 2012
Charter has removed their social media support at this site. A very sad day, in deed. I have had much success using this to resolve my problems, now the bean counters have shut it down and want you to call in and get frustrated out of your mind.

Service has been good but will take a turn as Charter positions itself. I'm on the Ultra 100 and have good speeds, usually in the 95%-105% range of the paid service. I don't have Television, just Internet. Connection is good so I haven't adjusted that.

I've reduced Tech Support not because of an experience, but because they removed coverage at this site.

Update November 18,2010
Channel Bonding has Arrived!! Oh and Ultra 60 came along too.

First night test

»www.speedtest.net/result/1036200191.png

Updated November 7, 2010
Charter has moved customers on the upper tier, here in Michigan to 25Mb/3Mb package. I continue to have pretty stable speed tests. I run a lot of my tests at SpeedTest.net, Since July 1, 2010 I've run 56 tests. My average download/upload is 34.22Mb/3.17Mb.

Best test
»www.speedtest.net/rank/1122211081.png

Earlier this year there was a lot of chatter about channel bonding being rolled out with Charter, but I haven't seen anything Michigan, yet. Closest I've seen any posts was in Wisconsin. Got my DOCSIS 3 modem, ready when ever you are Charter!

************************************************************
Updated April 19, 2009
Just upgraded to the 20MB/2MB package about a month ago. I was on the 10MB/1MB for some time and it was a very reliable package, for me. I consistently got 95% of the advertised speeds all the time, even prime time.

When I upgraded to the higher package my speeds were not as consistent as before. In prime time I'm lucky to hit 15MB on the download. Now reading other Charter posts on BBR forum I would have to consider myself lucky. I've read some real horror stories. Never the less, I'm disappointed in the results.

I'm not a heavy download user, but I still expect to get what I pay for. I've been checking my speeds daily since I upgraded. I've ran over 300 tests using Charter's speedtest and another off network speed site. When you breakdown the results, the morning time frame averaged 17.5MB, afternoon averaged 16.9MB, prime time averaged 15.9MB and late night averaged 19.5MB. The overall testing has averaged 17.1MB. People will say that you should have no complaints, but I wouldn't agree. I've only hit 20MB one time in my testing and that was in the 1AM time frame.

I not sure if contacting Charter would help, since there was so many others that have posted the same results. I'll tolerate it for now, but if it gets worst, I will contact tech support if I get no satisfaction I'll got back to a lower tier.

Lastly, I do want to give kudos to the techs that monitor the Charter Forum on BBR. They do attempt and have fixed problems that you have, and for that I'm grateful for their efforts.

Updated March 8, 2008
Late 2007 had issues with speeds. Prime time speeds were 20% - 40% of advertised tier. Actually got tech who monitors the Charter Forum to take notice of our problem. They were the reason it was corrected. Speeds have been very consistent for me other than the occasional problems.
I recognize that I pay a lot for the service 10Mb/1Mb, but it is not a packaged deal, so I have no room for compliant. I have to accept that and hope that the cost will drop over time. There is no competition where I live, so I don't have much leveraging capability with Charter.
I will consider the 16Mb service when it becomes available, because I love to surf at the speed of life.

Updated May 6, 2006
I've been disappointed with Charter this year. The speeds are not consistent anymore. I feel like I'm on a party line and all the life gets sucked out between 6pm and 11pm, daily. I'm paying for 5Mb/512Kb but it is not worth the value when you download speeds drop below 1Mb in the evening. It is just prime time that I see the huge slow downs, and I never had that problem prior to this year.

I've called Charter, but no change. Let's just admit that the infrastructure needs investment and they don't have the capital to get it done.

So I can complain, but I don't have other Broadband choices. Using direcpc was like a fast phone line connection, that is way over priced.

-------------------------

I live outside of any major city in mid-Michigan so my only broadband service available was DirecPC satellite service. I used this service for 21 months before Charter Pipeline was made available. Satellite worked well for me but it was a very inconsistent service.

Charter has been a good move for me. Installation went very well, and the service is consistent and my average speeds are very close to the service that I pay for. (1544/128) These speeds are all day long, I haven't had any experience with degradation of speeds. I hope it stays that way.

Of course, I can only speak for the service in my area. I have seen and read where the Charter service is less than desirable in other areas of the US. That was the reason why I tried a 3 month package with Charter before I committed.

My bad experience happened the first week after I had the service. I lost my service and after 4 field visits and 2 no shows it was fixed. Good thing I wasn't running a business.

At this time, my experience has been great. I'm very pleased with the service and hope continues.

Update June 8, 2003
I am coming up on 1 year and for the most part the Good and Bad points still apply. I feel "lucky" that the connection works as well as it does, but when I have a problem, it has taken Technical Support weeks to get the problem fixed. The last occurance probably could have been fixed in a week, but it took 7 weeks to fix. The Technical Support offices and Field Services do not work together in this area. I'm not sure why but Field Services keep sending the wrong Tech to fix the problem. It took way too long and was unexceptable service.

When it works, it works, but boy when it goes in the ditch it seems to take for ever to get fixed.

Update September 28, 2003
For Charter customers the recent upgrade to 2Mb down has been a hot topic of discussion. I was part of a stress test that Charter ran in the month of August for customers on the east side of Michigan. The network seems to handle the increase without issue. My speed tests continue to run in the 95% - 99% of advertised speeds. I also have had many speed tests exceed the 2Mb cap.

Upload continues to be a question of debate. But my conversations with local offices here indicate that 256Kbs will become the norm pretty soon.

For me, and I can't speak for others, Charter has been a good value. The sound bites above continue to summarize my experience. I suppose I probably land in the lucky category. Maybe yes, maybe no.

Greg

Comments:

Review by krommulent See Profile

• Location: Mankato,Blue Earth,MN

this is also not a review

member for 4.4 years, 2036 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

unhappy

@71.88.103.x

service

they have to be the worst cable co in the world they bill you early and most often they suk big time

aaaaa1111

@172.56.1.x

Re: service

I mean.. it cant be as bad as at&t basic plan of 1.5 download, 256k upload can it? Ive had minimal trouble, but recently have had 2 days straight of internet going down every 24 hours.. charters coming tomorrow..

Review by kf6uzf See Profile

• Location: Grover Beach,San Luis Obispo,CA
Bad "Tech Support doesn't have a clue"
Overall "Stay Away! Very Far Away!!"

Internet service was down for 17 days. 5 technicians later still no internet. Symptoms were partial routing of traffic. For instance, if I traceroute to a site north of me (i.e. bay area) it would succeed. If I traceroute to a site south of me (like charter.com) it timed out in a charter router. I couldn't get them to understand that if a Charter customer can not get to the charter.com website that there is a problem. They kept trying to get me off the phone by saying that it was my router and/or the speed test passed even though they wouldn't accept the fact that I had my computer plugged directly into the cable modem and the speed test site was north of me so of course it passed.

Bottom line their tech support reps and their technicians will saying anything to get off the call or leave the site if the problem is not within their 'canned' list of problem/responses. From the initial installation to this ultimate call I have little faith in anything Charter does except sending the bill on time. Seems they have that business task down pat.

Ultimate cause of my problem was an invalid DHCP IP address and netmask. Seems when the entire area went down for 4 hours and came back up, my cable modem acquired a new DHCP lease which was not routed in certain charter routers. Even modem reboots did not help because typical DHCP servers will pass out the same IP address base on MAC address if the lease hasn't expired. 17 days of problems were solved by simply renewing my DHCP lease and getting a new IP address.

Thanks Charter....I fixed it myself!

BTW - I called billing to get pro-rated for the outage days and they would not give me the credit for the 'router problem' and 'speed test' days even though it was one problem all along.

Comments:
passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI

One minor correction

The modem doesn't acquire the public i address - the device (router, computer NIC, etc.) connected to the modem does and is associated with its MAC address.
wispalord

join:2007-09-20
Farmington, MO

Re: One minor correction

I had a issue like that I had to change my modem wan mac and it fixed itself I was told someone else had a ddrt on same node that spoofed the same mac... but gezz I should have bought a lotto ticket that day

Review by shreezbot See Profile

• Location: Pelham,Shelby,AL
Good "The speed during the day when I'm not at home is great!"
Bad "The speed during peak hours when I'm actually at home using the internet is atrocious and unusable..."
Overall "Don't use Charter in Pelham, AL if you want to use the internet between 7:00 PM CST and 12:00 AM CST"

I've had issues with Charter for over a year now. I'm on the ultra 100 plan, and I've been fighting with support and we've run the gambit of possible resolutions. We've laid new wire in the yard and replaced the tap outside, and checked and replaced a number of other components They can't send someone out during the times when the problem is actually occurring, so they send a technician during the day and surprisingly they can't find a problem because everything is working as expected. I ask if someone can come out during the times I'm having troubles and they say they don't have anyone working during those hours. After a year of this mess, I was told that the switch to all digital on 7/22/2014 would help because capacity would be added to the network as a part of this upgrade. Since then, the problem has gotten worse during peak hours, and during non-peak hours, my speed has been cut in half. I was then told that it would be another month before more capacity could be added on August 8th.

Just to put my review in perspective, before the switch to all digital, I could at least get 100 mbps during off-peak hours. During peak hours, however, I usually can't get more than ONE (1) megaBIT per second (yes, bit, not byte!)... Now, since the switch to all digital on the 22nd, I can't get a speedtest over 50 mbps ever, even during non-peak hours.

UPDATE 9/2/2014: Speed issues seem to be mostly resolved with the rollout of Spectrum in my area. This would seem to be consistent with my theory that Charter had capacity issues and was oversubscribing my area and still charging customers who were having problems full price.

I've also asked them about the possibility of updating either the price or speed of the Ultra 100 plan to bring it in line with the 60 Mbps of Spectrum, and the laughed at me (literally laughed at me on the phone). I stand by my suggestion that if anyone has an option other than Charter that they take it.

Comments:

Review by HAL2014 See Profile

• Location: Birmingham,Jefferson,AL
Good "Is pretty good service when there is nothing else to compare it with"
Bad "Bad tech support, bad service, techs on the field are as bad as they get"
Overall "Last resort if no other choice is present"

I had the 100 Mb service for a while now. For the last several months it was acceptable, but never got up to 100 Mb as paid. &5 Mbps was the best in a good day, and the norm was about 50-55. It was always the "other guy" fault - in this case the customer. Let me think of some examples: " your home network is the cause"... " your computer is too slow" , " we can send a tech out " who never ever found an issue, but wanted to charge me 35$, or... " we can upgrade you to our finest business account".

Overall the service is ok when it works. Most of the time is a roller coaster, like is either crawling slow, or ping times are horrendous, to service is completely out.

Calls to their support is a joke. If ones call several times, you can pretty much learn the script. I was so well versed on the script at some point that I knew when they skipped a question or a "test" and I pointed it out to them. No sense of humor on the other end when you do that.

Overall, is a service to be used as a back up. I would not use this as my main source of Internet. But then again, it could have been Comcast... Yet Charter is getting close to that quality of service.

Comments:

Review by Serpardum See Profile

• Location: Long Beach,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Excellant internet"
Bad "Give me past disconnect notice when my bill isn't due"
Overall "Another great company ruined by business practices."

Excellent service. When I ordered for July I asked when the bill would be do. They told me it would be made on the 21st or so but wouldn't be due 'til the beginning of the month. So on August 4th I paid the $60 ($40 + $20 install) for a bill that was over $100.

On 7/31/2014 I got a disconnect notice from them. I asked why they told me my bill was past due. I talked to supervisor, same thing. I told them when I registered for this server I was on disability and I got my checks on the 3rd and made sure it wouldn't be a problem. Now it's a problem. And the lady says she's never heard of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

So, yeah, don't use unless you like being abused.

Comments:

Review by cc2iscool See Profile

• Location: Portage,Kalamazoo,MI
Good "When the connection works properly, it is as-advertised. 100 down, 5.5 up even during peak hours."
Bad "Constant packet loss issues, up to 30% at times. Managers don't follow up, ever. Techs lie so they can leave without fixing."
Overall "If you have another option, I'd recommend taking it."

I moved into the Portage, MI area into an apartment in late 2012. We bought the 100mbps/5mbps package (Ultra) immediately. The sales rep didn't tell us anything about a $200 setup fee for this service during the entire interaction via phone. I wasn't too concerned about it, as it was listed on their site (but was unbeknownst to me until after the fact). The techs came promptly and setup service. I was impressed. I was told that the Ultra lines were top priority support, almost like business class lines over the phone and by the tech, which made me even more impressed and happy that I chose to pay $100/mo and have a $200 setup fee for this "special" service just because I needed the upload speed (backstory - internet streamer).

Move on to a few days later, we started having issues with the line. Again the Charter techs came quickly, replaced some splitters in the apartment, and things were pretty decent. We got near sync speeds all the time, and were impressed at the quality as we had heard that apartments tend to have many more issues than what we encountered. We had a few issues, and had a few times where they had to test the line and the tap, but nothing too serious, we were still consistently impressed with the service.

Nov 2013 - 8 channel downstream bonding comes out in the area. We start getting about 10% packet loss on the line to all destinations. Techs come out and replace modem after modem, and even more splitters with the same result, we had 10% packet loss for weeks until we finally got a tech to realize the issue. We found that when the modem was unprovisioned, the line worked correctly, but when it was provisioned on the 100mbps plan with 8 channel bonding the issue returned. They finally got a line tech to test the first hop and they resolved the issue, or so we thought.

Things were good again for about a month or two, and then the problem returned. Random bouts of 10-15% packet loss throughout the day. Again techs came and went with no resolution, another 3-4 modems were replaced and lines were tested with tools not designed for 8 channel bonding. Consistently we were told that since their tool didn't see the problem, that it wasn't an actual issue, even though we provided clear evidence through a pingplotter result test as well as a ping test while the tech was in the apartment. One day, the problem simply stopped, after being very irritated and having a tech out near every week, wasting hours of everyone's time replacing modems and splitters, and being consistently lied to that they would setup a line tech to look at our issue.

Ever since, we have had issues with 10-15% packet loss. Sometimes this goes on for weeks, other times we get a week or two where everything is grand.

April-Jul 2014 - The packet loss issue has returned, and not gone away. 5-10% packet loss consistently, and it has been exceptionally worse since the move to all Digital which happened early in June. We have had literally 13 different modems in the past three months, three of which were confirmed by Charter staff to have been re-deployed in other locations without issue. We have had the splitters in our apartment changed 6 different times since Nov of 2013, wall plugs changed twice, and ends of cables changed even more often. Every time we call they send a tech, every time the tech finds nothing with his tool and doesn't care enough to try to fix our problem. Calls to managers go unreturned, as we continue to pay $100/mo for sub-standard service. I don't have a choice though, other internet plans in the area do not have enough upload speed to support streaming.

July 11th - 30% packet loss. Yes, 30. The connection is near unusable. Again we call, again they say they will send another tech out. I doubt we'll get anywhere. We called again, got some credit, for once, and more run-around garbage. We'll see if anything comes of it. Most likely they'll hit it with their tool that only gets one channel, say nothing looks wrong, and laugh in my face as they walk out the door, stating that they'll contact a line tech, which will never happen.

July 14th - Luckily we ended up with a tech that cared about actually getting his job done today. With the immense amount of packet loss, a line tech was finally dispatched to the area. We actually spoke with him, and apparently this was the "first he had heard" of this issue, and he is the only line tech for this area, which is really frustrating, as it confirms my suspicion that all of the previous techs had never submitted anything up and just told us they would so that they could leave without resolving the issue. So he was out today at the node (literally) cutting cables to lines that had too much noise on them. As of this evening, we're back down to 3-5% packet loss, which at least makes the net usable.

July 16th - We called another tech out as we were hoping the packet loss would have been gone by today due to the maintenance, but it was not. He confirmed that the packet loss was happening at the tap for our apartment, as well as the box that splits to a few of the buildings in the area. He raised a ticket with the line tech. Line tech will be here tomorrow.

July 17th - Line tech stops out again and talks to us directly, is able to see the packet loss in all the locations. Tells us that he's going to do some work now and they'll need to do some work on the lines tonight at 1am. Packet loss is down to the low 2%, so it's better but not fixed. Here's hoping!

July 18th - So far today we have no packet loss. Things are looking up.

July 19th - Still no loss, will update in a few weeks if nothing happens.

August 26th - We're back to having pretty consistent 5-10% packet loss along with mini-outages again. These seem to last a good most of the day. We caught a Charter tech outside another apartment and he said they were fully aware of the issues and that it "is ridiculous" but can't do anything about it. so we had just over a month of a decent connection, guess I'm finally getting my $100/mo worth out of this connection. No alternative to Charter or I'd bail.

Comments:
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Channel Frequencies

Where does the packet loss start? First hop or deeper? If it's not the first hop, the issue may not have anything to do with your modem, drop or node.

If packet loss starts with the first hop, does it vary with time of day? If it varies, does the time of day correlate with anything else (peak period, neighbors home/gone, other devices you use)? Does your modem provide the frequencies of the channels? If so, document if they change between good/bad periods. If they change, perhaps there's ingress from a nearby source? Pay more attention to the upstream channel as that's generally a much lower frequency. Lower frequencies are much more sensitive to environmental ingress.

Regarding neighbors, sometimes folks in apartments "share" cable -- if you know what I mean. Is it possible your line is tapped by someone else? Their equipment could be causing ingress or interference.

I know the cable company should do this for you but if you can figure it out on your own, maybe you can solve it on your own...or at least throw ideas at the techs.

Another thought is do you have any friends in the apartment complex? If so, try your modem with their drop.
cc2iscool

join:2006-04-22
Portage, MI

Re: Channel Frequencies

Issue starts at the first hop. It's not a signal/line/noise/neighbor/plug/etc issue. They've taken our modems and plugged them direct to the tap on a different port, they just stated that it was within spec and couldn't do anything for us, since their actual tool didn't detect a problem.

Trust me, we've been through all this. They've got a ticket in to look at the node finally sometime this week. The techs checked for noise on our lines, replaced modems galore, no change. No noise, nothing out of the ordinary. It took the rest of the complex hitting 40-50% packet loss and not being able to actually use their networks before they finally decided to investigate. Luckily he actually took a few minutes and found that the BER was out of spec, and checked a few other areas in the complex that were complaining of internet issues and was seeing the same thing at other locations connected to our node. They believe it may either be an amp or the node itself. Although it's been 2 days since the ticket was submitted, and he hinted at the fact that if it was the amp that he expected it within a day.

Finally things are looking promising. It's just really unfortunate that I've had to deal with it for so long.

Edit: Just for clarification, this is an all-day thing with the packet loss. It sometimes gets slightly worse, but it generally stays about the same up until last week where we started hitting the 50% range.

Here you go: »i.imgur.com/fsGjGZa.png
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Re: Channel Frequencies

Does the modem provide upstream transmit dbm? If it's 50 or more, there's probably an issue (depending on how many splits between it and the pedestal tap). Curious, BER problems cam also affect VOD. Do you have a video package and an STB? If so, try some of the free VOD titles. Does it also have issues starting or doing things like pausing, rw/ff? If so and you still don't get results soon, perhaps try ragging about VOD. Maybe it'll go to a different group that tries different things.

Hopefully it's something they get fixed soon. Good luck.

I've been very fortunate in STL. Charter recently upgraded everyone to at least 100Mbps and it's been nearly a decade since I've experienced packet loss issues and peak period slow downs. Unfortunate that their customer experience varies so much from one area to the next.
B4Knight
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI
·Charter
I hope your issues are resolved soon. Has Charter figured out if it was an amp or node issue yet?

In my experience Charter has been great, but there have been some outages here and there. I've never experienced a significant amount of packet loss though, aside from when I had to have my drop replaced because of squirrel/water damage.
cross12095

join:2011-04-10
Hillsboro, AL

Review by bkoeni1 See Profile

• Location: Fort Worth,Tarrant,TX
Good "Very fast and stable"
Bad "Price is reasonable only if bundled"
Overall "Fast feed and stable connections"

·AT&T Southwest
Update 04/18/2014

Charter upgraded my line to 60/4 without an increase in the $29.99 monthly (bundled) fee. I've got TV and phone also. Everything has been very stable and speeds have been very consistent since the upgrade in March, 2014. I continue to be pleased with their service.

***************************************************************************************************

Update 04/01/2013

Still on the 100/5 plan and service has been very stable. Speed has been consistent so, I'm getting what I pay for. Cost has increased from 59.99/month to 85.00/month and I have no other services through charter.

Update 07/01/2012:

Upgraded to the 100/5 plan for 59.99/month for 6 months. Speed tests daily show that I'm getting what I paid for. Very pleased with speeds and service. Very few outages. Just wondering what the price will increase to after 6 months. Could be too high to afford. I own my own modem right now.

Installed on 01/01/2011. Very fast speed (18/2) and very stable. I have everything at my home on backup batteries and when the power goes out, I lose my cable internet connection although the cable modem is on my backup battery supply.

Update on 01/24/2012. Seeing about 37/3 and still very stable. Currently subscribed to the Plus package and pay $70 / month which includes a $25 / month upgrade fee.

member for 13.7 years, 5995 visits, last login: a few hours ago