Charter page on DSLReports

Review by tstolze See Profile

• Location: O Fallon,Saint Charles,MO
Good "So far so good, getting advertised speeds, low pings."
Overall "Price is right if you bundle."

I have only been with Charter for a day now. Techs came ran cable, hooked up my modem. I was up and running in less than 30 minutes. After they left I hooked up my network, no problems, just cloned the Mac of the original computer hooked up and off it went. Stayed connected for 4hrs 15 minutes, then I couldn't connect. Called customer service, rep stated there was no modem associated with my account. I gave her the Mac of my modem and all has been fine since, ten minutes on the phone, can't complain. I have the 3.0/256 package, speed test are 2900/280, pings are equal to my Centurytel DSL. Have not been able to get trackpass working, hopefully it just takes time to work through the system, as I was told this is part of the HSI package. Also had to call as my account number wasn't recognized by the system to setup my account access and email. Took about 15 minutes, rep did it from his end, I gave him the username and password(which I have changed) and I was able to access after about a five minute wait..

Update on trackpass: Used Charter's online support chat, after concluding I was doing everything correct, the rep gave me the number for Nascar tech support. Called and they gave me a temporary username and password. They think my information probably has not made it through the system yet.

Update: All I have to say is watch your bills. I was warned about this, and now I have had to call on my first two bills. I was billed a total of $110 to much between my first two bills, they did fix it quickly, hopefully things will be okay from here...

Update 6/5/06

Been on the new 10/1 tier for a week now, speeds and pings are consistent in my area. Although the price is a little steep, I greatly needed the upload for gaming, website updates and a wife that loves to send pictures to Sam's Club by the hundreds! At 2 megs each it used to take a very long time, she is happy now, and a great excuse for me to get more bandwidth. Still say watch your bills, and my Trackpass stopped working after the upgrade, time to call and see what is going on...

Update 4/1/07

Connection still stable, had some more billing issues after I added HD to my TV package. Went through some long outages this winter, seems the backup in my node is capable of running 3-6 hrs on a full charge. Overall I am satisfied, would like more HD programming, I am sure that will come with time. My 12 month deal is up the first week of May. I do have some decisions to make, as normal pricing is to expensive.

Update 5/4/07

I am done, have Centurytel, and Dish Network coming back next week.

Had another "bill" issue, overcharged by $50+ for the month. Called and got a horrible rep on the phone. Seems every 2-3 months I have to call to get my bill fixed, then the wrong amount is still charged to my credit card and the credit shows up on the next bill. I wouldn't mind, but I have to analyze each bill to make sure it is correct.

(Update) 11/28/2011 I am now a Charter customer again, stuck with Centurylink as long as I could, now that they announced they will have a cap starting in February 2012, my reasons for not switching are gone. I have been in need of more upstream for some time now, with Charter I have it, signed up for the 18/2 and am receiving the upcoming tier of 30/4. Speedtest with Powerboost have been running 50/4 with large downloads settling in at 30 down. So far so good, I'm impressed, now let's hope the billing bugs don't creep into my account again, as that was my reasons for leaving in 2007.

11/24/12: We have been back with Charter for a year now. It works as advertised, no billing issues as in the past....What can I say, I now recommend Charter to my friends and family, this is a complete 180 from the past..

Purchased a tuner card for my server and now have Charter TV service using a Cable Card setup. Just testing now, waiting for Ceton to release the new media center extender. At that time I will cancel Dish. Charter TV will save us $40/month over Dish with a 922 DVR.

Update 10/19/14... Almost 3 years back, with few issues. Last Winter I was experiencing loss of phone/internet on nights it was below 10 outside. Sent a tech out and found the connection from my drop to the pedestal was corroded. Put a new connector on the cable and all is well.

I am in the St. Louis region so our speed upgrade was to 100 down, still 4 up. Speed test run over 100 at all times of day, typical is 109/4.4.

Still using my Windows Media setup with a Ceton tuner and Ceton Echos at the TV's. Very happy with the service even though we have lost our promotional pricing.

member for 11.2 years, 5390 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Ripperjack See Profile

• Location: High Ridge,Jefferson,MO
Good "You get internet... most of the time."
Bad "Unstable connection speeds, pricing is confusing, if you need tech support it really helps if you can speak Hindi or Punjabi."
Overall "It's usually faster than AT&T and in most cases it's your only choice if you live in mid-land USA... so, meh."

I used to work for Charter, as a consultant in their software division. If you think customer service is a shambles, try working for them in office.

The company runs on endless meetings, achieving nothing and they have more self imposed red tape you have to wade through, than the US government.

It's no surprise nothing ever gets done!

Comments:

Review by gzt7d8 See Profile

• Location: Swartz Creek,Genesee,MI
Good "Speeds are more consistent since we went to 8 channels in June 2014"
Bad "Raised my rates $15/month and NO EXPLANATION!"
Overall "Spectum raised some downloads (30Mb to 60Mb) at no cost, but those on Ultra plan got no lift, so bad value for the $$"

Update September 11, 2014
Our area went to 8 channel bonding in June 2014. Since that time, my speeds are much more consistent even during prime time hours. Consistently get 100Mb+ on the download now, even during prime time hours 7pm - 11pm, my speeds are 90Mb+.

The only annoyance there is now is the fact that move to digital, Spectrum, raised the speeds of those from 30Mb to 60Mb plans, but us on Ultra got no lift so we are not getting any bang for our buck right now, considering dropping down a plan to get a better value.

eom

Update April 14, 2013
Charter removed their social media support here at the site and the downward spiral continues. Now they've raised my rates by $15/month and I got NO explanation why. And did we get any improved service................NO.

I'll say one thing, the first service interruption or slow down, I'm going to make sure they see how pissed I am.

eom
Update December 16, 2012
Charter has removed their social media support at this site. A very sad day, in deed. I have had much success using this to resolve my problems, now the bean counters have shut it down and want you to call in and get frustrated out of your mind.

Service has been good but will take a turn as Charter positions itself. I'm on the Ultra 100 and have good speeds, usually in the 95%-105% range of the paid service. I don't have Television, just Internet. Connection is good so I haven't adjusted that.

I've reduced Tech Support not because of an experience, but because they removed coverage at this site.

Update November 18,2010
Channel Bonding has Arrived!! Oh and Ultra 60 came along too.

First night test

»www.speedtest.net/result/1036200191.png

Updated November 7, 2010
Charter has moved customers on the upper tier, here in Michigan to 25Mb/3Mb package. I continue to have pretty stable speed tests. I run a lot of my tests at SpeedTest.net, Since July 1, 2010 I've run 56 tests. My average download/upload is 34.22Mb/3.17Mb.

Best test
»www.speedtest.net/rank/1122211081.png

Earlier this year there was a lot of chatter about channel bonding being rolled out with Charter, but I haven't seen anything Michigan, yet. Closest I've seen any posts was in Wisconsin. Got my DOCSIS 3 modem, ready when ever you are Charter!

************************************************************
Updated April 19, 2009
Just upgraded to the 20MB/2MB package about a month ago. I was on the 10MB/1MB for some time and it was a very reliable package, for me. I consistently got 95% of the advertised speeds all the time, even prime time.

When I upgraded to the higher package my speeds were not as consistent as before. In prime time I'm lucky to hit 15MB on the download. Now reading other Charter posts on BBR forum I would have to consider myself lucky. I've read some real horror stories. Never the less, I'm disappointed in the results.

I'm not a heavy download user, but I still expect to get what I pay for. I've been checking my speeds daily since I upgraded. I've ran over 300 tests using Charter's speedtest and another off network speed site. When you breakdown the results, the morning time frame averaged 17.5MB, afternoon averaged 16.9MB, prime time averaged 15.9MB and late night averaged 19.5MB. The overall testing has averaged 17.1MB. People will say that you should have no complaints, but I wouldn't agree. I've only hit 20MB one time in my testing and that was in the 1AM time frame.

I not sure if contacting Charter would help, since there was so many others that have posted the same results. I'll tolerate it for now, but if it gets worst, I will contact tech support if I get no satisfaction I'll got back to a lower tier.

Lastly, I do want to give kudos to the techs that monitor the Charter Forum on BBR. They do attempt and have fixed problems that you have, and for that I'm grateful for their efforts.

Updated March 8, 2008
Late 2007 had issues with speeds. Prime time speeds were 20% - 40% of advertised tier. Actually got tech who monitors the Charter Forum to take notice of our problem. They were the reason it was corrected. Speeds have been very consistent for me other than the occasional problems.
I recognize that I pay a lot for the service 10Mb/1Mb, but it is not a packaged deal, so I have no room for compliant. I have to accept that and hope that the cost will drop over time. There is no competition where I live, so I don't have much leveraging capability with Charter.
I will consider the 16Mb service when it becomes available, because I love to surf at the speed of life.

Updated May 6, 2006
I've been disappointed with Charter this year. The speeds are not consistent anymore. I feel like I'm on a party line and all the life gets sucked out between 6pm and 11pm, daily. I'm paying for 5Mb/512Kb but it is not worth the value when you download speeds drop below 1Mb in the evening. It is just prime time that I see the huge slow downs, and I never had that problem prior to this year.

I've called Charter, but no change. Let's just admit that the infrastructure needs investment and they don't have the capital to get it done.

So I can complain, but I don't have other Broadband choices. Using direcpc was like a fast phone line connection, that is way over priced.

-------------------------

I live outside of any major city in mid-Michigan so my only broadband service available was DirecPC satellite service. I used this service for 21 months before Charter Pipeline was made available. Satellite worked well for me but it was a very inconsistent service.

Charter has been a good move for me. Installation went very well, and the service is consistent and my average speeds are very close to the service that I pay for. (1544/128) These speeds are all day long, I haven't had any experience with degradation of speeds. I hope it stays that way.

Of course, I can only speak for the service in my area. I have seen and read where the Charter service is less than desirable in other areas of the US. That was the reason why I tried a 3 month package with Charter before I committed.

My bad experience happened the first week after I had the service. I lost my service and after 4 field visits and 2 no shows it was fixed. Good thing I wasn't running a business.

At this time, my experience has been great. I'm very pleased with the service and hope continues.

Update June 8, 2003
I am coming up on 1 year and for the most part the Good and Bad points still apply. I feel "lucky" that the connection works as well as it does, but when I have a problem, it has taken Technical Support weeks to get the problem fixed. The last occurance probably could have been fixed in a week, but it took 7 weeks to fix. The Technical Support offices and Field Services do not work together in this area. I'm not sure why but Field Services keep sending the wrong Tech to fix the problem. It took way too long and was unexceptable service.

When it works, it works, but boy when it goes in the ditch it seems to take for ever to get fixed.

Update September 28, 2003
For Charter customers the recent upgrade to 2Mb down has been a hot topic of discussion. I was part of a stress test that Charter ran in the month of August for customers on the east side of Michigan. The network seems to handle the increase without issue. My speed tests continue to run in the 95% - 99% of advertised speeds. I also have had many speed tests exceed the 2Mb cap.

Upload continues to be a question of debate. But my conversations with local offices here indicate that 256Kbs will become the norm pretty soon.

For me, and I can't speak for others, Charter has been a good value. The sound bites above continue to summarize my experience. I suppose I probably land in the lucky category. Maybe yes, maybe no.

member for 13.2 years, 4851 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by abal1221 See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "None"
Bad "Still waiting"
Overall "Its been 3 months since I ordered and I'm still waiting"

I placed an order with Charter for Internet and Phone in late June 2014.

The day before my appointment I get a call that my phone number port would take another week. The Internet hookup was still scheduled but a second visit to hookup the phone was needed. No big deal.

The day of my first appointment the tech arrives right on time. He determines that the nearest tap is across the street. There is no pole to run it across the street so a road bore is needed. There is a pole in my neighbors back yard but the pole is connected to dead plant. Tech's supervisor comes out and confirms. Supervisor tells me that they will do a road bore and both Internet and Phone will be hooked up next week during what was the rescheduled Phone Hookup.

A week later, tech shows up. Again right on time. Uhhhhh, there was no road bore. He calls in and is told the bore was scheduled for later in the day. He gives me his number and tells me to call when the bore is finished and he will return to finish the install.

Road bore never happens

I call their 800 number and get call center who knows where. I explain the situation and they tell me that somebody from local dispatch will call back within 24 hours.

Nobody calls

I made a few calls to the 800 number explaining the situation. They always tell me they emailed the supervisor and somebody will call within 24 hours. But nobody ever calls.

A couple days later I notice an orange cable sticking out of the ground in the back of my house. Yay, they ran cable! I follow the path of my chewed up lawn back to the pole with dead plant. Doh!

A couple more calls to the 800 number and eventually they send somebody out. They didn't exactly schedule an appointment, I just kind of got a call from the tech on a Sunday afternoon about my scheduled appointment which I didn't know I had.

Tech arrives, surveys the situation, and tells me that they need to do a road bore. He uses his smartphone to take pictures and document what needs to be done.

A couple days later while I'm at work I get a call from another tech. He's out to run the cable to my house and informs that the nearest tap is across the street and they need to do a road bore

At this point, I have been without phone and Internet for a month. When Charter ported my number from Verizon, it shutoff my phone and DSL. So I decide to turn the Verizon back on. I call Charter to change my order from Phone + Internet to just Internet and release my number to Verizon.

I call Verizon to have them port my original number back from Charter. They told me Charter still holds the number.

I call Charter who tells me they will release the number and it will be ready the following day. I email the Verizon rep that the number will be ready the following day.

Verizon rep emails me the next day that the number hasn't been released. I call Charter who tells me the number has been released and to try again tomorrow

Verizon tries again. Number is not released. I call Charter and they tell me they released the number. Round and round a couple more days. Then I gave up.

So I have lost my original phone number and am still waiting for Charter to install the Internet service.

Every day when I get home from work I see the Charter tap across the street. There has been no markings on the pavement or in my yard to identify utility runs in advance of a road bore.

My last contact with Charter was in late July or early August when the tech called me while I was at work. They have not emailed or called with an update

Comments:
BlakePaulson

join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN
·T-Mobile US
·Charter

File a BBB claim against them...

Then watch how fast they'll work to get you connected and everything you need.

Since they gutted the social media tech support the only way to get anywhere these days is by posting that to the BBB and then the escalation team at charter will take care of you. They are able to do miracles... honestly!

sameboat

@166.137.101.x

too lazy service

I'd accidentally run into their post across the road, and..."oh, while you're here, maybe you can finally hook me up!"

Review by cdigioia See Profile

• Location: Grants Pass,Josephine,OR
Good "Often upwards of 160Mbps down! "
Bad "Some nights have brief outages"
Overall "I just moved from a large city in E. Asia to a small US city. Wow am I surprised my internet is *faster* here..."

I have had the "Charter Spectrum" internet-only package for just over a month. It was a $30 install fee. The modem is free to use - an Arris TM822A (which is DOCSIS 3.0). No contract. Monthly fee is $40/month for the next year. After that, "introductory pricing" ends, and it'll be god knows how much.

Speeds are phenomenal. It's officially "up to 60Mbps", but I consistently get anywhere from 130-170 down. Seriously. I actually ended up upgrading our wireless network so as not to "waste" all this unexpected speed. Up is around 4-6. What's crazy is I just moved from a very large E. Asian city, to a small US city - and my speeds are almost 2x faster here! That's weird, and very unexpected. Perhaps the 130-170 won't last, but it's been amazing so far (and usually closer to 170 than 130).

Install was pretty good, and *very* fast. I ordered around 1:00am on day 1, then by noon of day 2 they were here! About 36 hours in total. Install took about 2 hours. First they found the cable outlet in the master bedroom (we didn't want the modem there though), then after searching - found the cable line in the living room. It had been hidden behind a wallplate commandeered by the satellite install. But, he tested that line - not so good. So after talking, we opted for a completely new line to be put into the bedroom nearest the cable box. Probably we could have insisted they run line through the attic/etc. to the living room but...seems like a lot to ask, so we didn't. On the plus side, the exterior wiring he did to get a new line into the guest bedroom - couldn't be any neater. Very professional job.

Overall I'm extremely happy with it. The only con has been very late at night - on some nights, there are brief outages (like 3 minutes). Seems reasonable though.

Comments:

Review by megarock See Profile

• Location: Pacific,Franklin,MO
Good "Speeds are amazing when it works. "
Bad "Tech support is pretty much nonexistent now."
Overall "Business class my a$$. You should be ashamed selling it as such."

Charter's internet would likely work great if they weren't constantly trying to deny issues on their network. I had been a residential customer for years and dealt with constant issues that normally took weeks to get resolved when each time it ended up being a minor and easily fixable problem.

Instead you have to call, call, call and then call some more just to get some attention to the matter than another two to three weeks of calling to get it resolved. And lately a call to tech support can end you up on the phone for a half hour of horrible on and on sales pitches from the auto-attendant. To make matters worse I tried switching to business class for a more reliable connection and better tech support. For the price I pay I fully expected to get it. Needless to say a call puts you on hold for a very lengthy period, I get the same scripted "are you sure it's not YOU because there is nothing at all wrong with our stuff' crap I got from residential and the same slow, inept tech support that still takes a month and a half worth of calls to get something fixed.

Since I have no choice in another provider I am stuck with Charter but I am dumping the business class because all I've been doing is giving them even more money for the same horrible unstable internet connection and the same 'don't give a flying f*ck' tech support department. Not worth it at all so I can save $25 a month and have residential come out and hook up a modem and be done.

Business class my a$$!!

Update...at this point these idiots deserve the big fat 0 rating. From about 5 pm - 11 pm every single night of the week my internet basically becomes non functional. Business class, residental...don't matter. Since they did their big 100 meg upgrade my net hasn't worked worth a crap so I've been tethering off my cell phone when I want my net to work. Sad, just sad. In the past month I have had no less than ten tech visits. Almost every tech has told me the same thing too - they are going from one place to another all reporting the same issue.

Charter borked their entire network in this area with those big upgrades and switch to digital. That's when it's started and as a line tech told me - they have no idea what's wrong.

If you have any other choice (wish I did, not holding my breath for UVerse) take it. I wish I could but thanks to that monopoly it's Charter or cellular. Sadly, the cellular works better.

Comments:
megarock

join:2001-06-28
Catawissa, MO

and the winner is...

...apparently residential.

With my 'business class' my net would go down repeatedly from 5 - 10 PM. Top speed 104 meg.

With residential so far just two very quick drops - 16 locked DOCSIS channels - 110 meg and better ping times.

Seriously, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON BUSINESS CLASS.

Disgusted

@107.77.75.x

Charter lacks customer support!

I've had charter for 3 months now the internet hasn't worked for 1 day!..promises promises..they have had 3 appts to come out here and have showed up 0 times out of 3!..the customer service is so concerned about money that their support doesn't exist!.money money that's all it is to them. They don't listen to the customer nor do they care and the extent of their company training focuses on lying to the customer to pacify.. well I can't stand a liar and for a company to base their support solely on money and total lack of service support is no company I want to be part of. A reputable company should always stand behind their service and making sure the customer comes first..to be honest they disconnect more customers than they sign up!..no wonder they have to solicit business from a list they have to buy from another company if it were me I would rather have to solicit the company myself rather than be bothered at home with someone begging me to try their services...if a company has to solicit you all that says is they arent good enough to stand on their own 2 feet and they loose more customers than they keep!..hhhmmm sounds like bad business to me epic failure!..hopefully when Comcast takes over which is the company who bought them out by the way.. they will care about the customer who is actually the backbone of any business..if you don't have your customer well you have no company..so youd think the customers would be their priority! Unfortunately charter communications doesn't work that way!
karsan2007

join:2007-01-28
Glendale, CA

Charter review

I am paying almost 300.00 this month because of a charter rep he sent a tech and charged me a service call charge when it wasn't needed I am going to pay the bill then get my 45.00 back I shouldn't have to pay for tech visit if its on their end

Review by DaSneaky1D See Profile

• Location: The Lou
Good "100mbps tier is available"
Bad "None, really. Solid, open service that works well in StL"
Overall "For a line-based connection, it's the best value to get in the StL area"

Update 9/24/14
In less than a year, I've downgraded to the 30mbps residential tier and was bumped up to 60mbps by Charter. At the same time, I became a "cord cutter" and started to stream all of my television. I didn't want to chance a concern with high usage (and due to my increased remote working), I subscribed to their 30mbps business package...Which subsequently was in the process of being upgraded to 60mbps. Now, since Charter has gone all digital, my business tier has gone back up to 100mbps! Service has remained extremely stable as well.

Update 12/13/13
I lowered my service to the 30/4 tier to reduce costs. If I were to go back to 100mbps, it'll cost a $200 install fee and tech visit. So, for now, I'll just let Charter upgrade their lower service. In the past month, I've been updated to 8 channel bonding (downstream) and service is unquestionably solid.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 82.65 Mbps (10.33 MB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4.01 Mbps (0.5 MB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 8 ms
Jitter: 5 ms
9/24/2014 9:19:11 PM

Update 12/9/12
Still going strong on the Ultra 100/5 tier. Very disappointed with Charter's decision to remove direct tech support from DSLR (and other social media outlets). I'm awaiting to see if this is a start to a series of further poor leadership direction.

Update 1/16/12
Upgraded to the Ultra 100/5 tier. Had to have 25 year old cable drop replaced, but service is stellar.

Update - 3/31/10
Service has been upgraded to 25/3 tier. Still solid, though I need a wireless N router to see the full potential.

Update - 6/25/09
Service has been upgraded to the 20mbps tier. Still solid.

Update - 10/28/08
I've upgraded to the 16mbps/2mbps tier...and it's been a wild ride so far. For the last three weeks, my routing is questionable when traffic hands off to their off-net provider. Latency to Chicago use to be a steady 20ms, now it's over 45ms. While that may seem like a small increase, this has been accompanied with erratic speeds and an upload that averages 500kbps to third party speed tests and no more than 1mbps internally to speedtest.charter.com. Tech support shows my line stats to be within the acceptable range.

Update - 3/9/08
Upgraded to Charter's 10mbps/1mbps tier about a year ago. No complaints what-so-ever. Speed is always there and latency is still super low. Now, when Charter gets off their tail and finally offers the 16mbps/2mbps package, I'll get that too!
_________________________________________

Update - 12/21/06
I dropped down to Charter's 3mbps/256kbps tier. Speed is still good and consistent. The only down side I see is their pricing. Coming to the end of 2006, charging anything more than $35 for 3mbps service is nonsense, yet Charter's unbundled price is $45. Faster tiers are even more.

I'm still happy with the service, but as my needs and priorities change, me (the willing and able buyer) really sees a poor value for unbundled service.
__________________________________________

Update - 3/15/06
Still cruising along with Charter. Have nothing negative to say about their HSI offerings in my area.
__________________________________________

Update - 7/6/05
Charter upgraded their fastest tier to 5mbps/512kbps. Service quality is till the same. I consistently see my advertised speeds and latency is still extremely low at all times. Way to go!
__________________________________________

Update - 1/3/05
Charter 3meg service. Simply put, it's fantastic. No outages, besides one whole cable system outage in StL City (north). Latency is super low as always. I never have any slow down.

Only service related issue is Charter's flaky DNS servers. I use Level3's (especially nice since they use L3 as their backbone provider) so any related problems are transparent by me. All in all, I have no fault to find with them.
__________________________________________

I had SBC DSL, which I always received terrific service from, but decided to try Charter since I was getting rid of my static IP's with SBC to lower my bill. I got on with the 2 months free deal with Charter to test them out. I ordered the service in the morning and picked up the modem while on the way home from work, to a waiting connection. Now that's quick! I immediately noticed that latency was much lower on their network and the speeds were a bit higher as well, due to cap differences.

The real selling point came when I found out Charter was upgrading to the 2Mbps cap. When I power cycled my modem and received the new config file, my mouth dropped. StL users have 2.5Mbps/192kbps caps, and I get always get 2.3-2.4Mbps/181kbps speeds. Always! When playing certain games, I typically play on the lowest latency server I can find open. I found that even a 30ms ping server is "high" for my taste. Since most games do not register latency lower than 20ms, I always ignored anything reported as a "1" for the ping assuming that it meant "1 second or greater". After testing one of those servers, I found that my ping on those servers was around 7ms-15ms -- even during heavy action on screen.

Tech support has been on the ball for me the one time I needed them. The DNS servers respond very quickly. I don't like that I can't send mail while off their network, so that is a strike against them.

Who knows. The surrounding conditions of why my service is impressive may change. But for now, I'm in awe.

member for 13.5 years, 5861 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mtravis4 See Profile

• Location: Norwalk,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Always up and running. Paying for 30mbs getting constant 60mbs/4mbs"
Bad "A little pricey. $49.99"
Overall "Love the service, not the bill."

I have had Charter Pipeline since it was available years ago. They asked me to be a beta tester for a year at no cost. Had some bugs in the beginning but I like the service now.
I really expected the cost to go down by now. Not happening!

10/1mps
$48.00 += 2
Now: 60/4 $49.99
original Surfboard SB4100 cable modem.
New supplied modem: Motorola Surfborad MB6141

Comments:

Review by B4Knight See Profile

• Location: Colon,Saint Joseph,MI
Good "Consistent Speed, Pretty Reliable, Customer Service Has Been Good"
Bad "Upload Speed Is Lacking"
Overall "Overall Its Been Great, But YMMV"

Became a Charter HSI only customer in June or July of 2011 and started on the 15Mbps/3Mbps plan @ $29.99/month for 12 months. I bought my own modem which was a Motorola SB6120 (now using a SB6121) to avoid Charters then $5 modem rental fee. After the year promo had ended I think the price went to $45.99/month. Sometime in late 2012 early 2013 I was offered a chance to upgrade to Charter's 30Mbps/4Mbps plan @ $54.99/month which I am currently still on and speeds are always consistent with what was advertised. I suspect that the consistency is due to living in a small town connected to a node which has little to no congestion.

Install was quick, tech (local contractor) showed up on time and didn't have to do a whole lot inside besides reroute some of the existing wiring that was installed prior to us living in this house.

We've had I'd say about 8 outages since I've had the service and most of them were weather/power outage related. The first time I ever had to have a tech come out was towards the middle of Feb. 2014 due to squirrels damaging my drop line causing moisture to build up in it.

August 6th, 2014 - Service is still excellent. Still waiting for Charter Spectrum to be available. I have a feeling it will happen soon.

August 7th, 2014 - Spectrum Internet has gone live! Getting around 60 Mbps/4 Mbps and PowerBoost/Traffic Shaping is no longer active.

September 4th, 2014 - Added Spectrum Voice (Home Phone) for $29.99 and the lady put me on a new promo. I'm getting both Charter Spectrum Internet 60/4 and Spectrum Voice for $59.98/12 months. My POTS bill with Clear Rate Communications (CLEC in Frontier Territory) was around $60/month. I can get two services for the price of one now. Even after the promotion ends in 12 months it goes to $69.98/month which is still a good deal in my opinion.

Install is set for September 12th between 8AM-10AM. I guess that's the earliest they could get a technician to install the service, they must have a heavy workload right now. Seems like a long time, but I can wait.

September 12th, 2014 - Contractor arrived to install Spectrum voice. He arrived right around 8 AM and was finished in about an hour. He installed the phone on a separate coaxial line and mounted an Arris TM822A D3 Telephony Modem onto one of the beams in my basement. The coax for the internet and telephone run into a Atronix 2-Way Vertical Splitter and then out to the house box and so on. I opted to not get the battery backup right now as I have a cell phone. I know that E-911 location services don't work as well with cell phones, but I don't really care much about that right now. I can always add it in the future or buy my own UPS and do it myself.

Call clarity is just as good, if not slightly better than I had with my old POTS line. So no complaints there.

All in all it was a positive experience and I'm saving quite a bit of money now by bundling my internet and phone together.

Comments:

cpsf856

@169.145.3.x

Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

I am on day 3 of charter service. The reason that I moved off of Verizon to Charter was when I tried hooking up my apple TV to verizon DSL I was seeing 6 hour download times. After doing a little research I found that for $5 more a month I can try Charter. It came with a 12 month commitment, which is sub optimal but I figured give it a shot because as of now Apple TV is useless.

So the review - internet is faster, can download / stream content from anywhere instantly. I am amazed at how fast the download speed is. I hope the service stays as consistent over the course of 12 months. For now, moving from Verizon appears to be a good move.
B4Knight
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

1 recommendation

Re: Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

12 month commitment? Charter did away with contracts and commitments years ago.. Maybe they still offer them to people who want to lock in a lower rate, most likely bundled. They do have a 30 or 60 day money back guarentee though.

Charter is the only cable provider in my town and Frontier offers DSL with a maximum speed of 6mbps download and around 1Mbps upload. A few of my neighbors had Frontier and could only pull about 3Mbps download even during off peak hours. So for me Charter was a no brainer as Frontier would never meet my needs. Welcome to Charter and I hope your experience is just as good as mine has been for the past 2+ years

BinaryXtreme

join:2013-07-04
Sparks, NV

Re: Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

I'm on a 12 month commitment. I am bundled but neighbor isn't. He's on a 12 month commitment as well.

Review by krommulent See Profile

• Location: Mankato,Blue Earth,MN

this is also not a review

member for 4.5 years, 2078 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

unhappy

@71.88.103.x

service

they have to be the worst cable co in the world they bill you early and most often they suk big time

aaaaa1111

@172.56.1.x

Re: service

I mean.. it cant be as bad as at&t basic plan of 1.5 download, 256k upload can it? Ive had minimal trouble, but recently have had 2 days straight of internet going down every 24 hours.. charters coming tomorrow..