Charter page on DSLReports

Review by Ghecko See Profile

• Location: 97471
Good "quick to get my service set up, friendly staff."
Bad "The last 3 months has had terrible speed fluctuations"
Overall "The service as of late is unacceptable"

I've been using Charter for over a year now. In the beginning service was acceptable. i got the speeds and stability I was paying for.

About three and a half months ago I noticed my speed wasn't near as high as it had been, practically non-existent (between 2.5 meg and 4 meg download. I pay for 30 meg.). Resetting my router and modem made no difference. I called Charter support, who ran tests on their end but were unable to determine the problem. Another call a few weeks later ended with a technician coming to the house to run tests. Again, no resolution, but was informed that the company was upgrading their system and I quote "It should be resolve in about two weeks.". That was the end of May, it is now July 15th and my service has not improved. I contacted charter support again today and again we were unable to resolve the problem. Another technician is coming next Monday. As someone who spends eight to sixteen hours a day on the internet, making a living using said internet is becoming more difficult because of the speeds I'm getting.

In closing, I would have to say I am very unhappy with my service as of this time and if the technician is unable to fix the issue I will be going to another provider with slower overall speeds but those would be higher than my current speed.

***Edit: On July 18th (he was able to come early) the technician ran more tests, concluding everything was working on my end. He replaced my Modem anyway. This did not fix the problem. We discussed the previous technicians statement about the upgrading being finished and he stated that they have no information on a date of completion but it was estimated "from the rumors" to be September or October. I am no longer happy with the service provided by Charter Communications and will be looking elsewhere for service. I was informed through a friend that Quest doesn't have faster speeds but it is stable. It may not be as fast but the stability is what I'm in need of. A constant speed of 15 meg. is better than Speeds constantly fluctuating between 30 meg. and 2 meg. every five minutes.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:
brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ

modem?

It sounds to me like your on a congested node. What modem do you have? if it's an old DOCSIS 2 modem, that would explain it.

You would need a DOCSIS 3 modem to sustain any decent connection with the new 30Mbps and 100Mbps plans.
Ghecko

join:2014-07-15

Re: modem?

Its a motorola surfboard model sb6121 provided by the ISP. Not my preferred brand or model but it does the job. It has been tested and functions properly. I have no doubt that the problem is on their end.

StpBngCheap

@68.114.32.x
Get a business account...
BlakePaulson

join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN
·T-Mobile US

Re: modem?

Like that will fix anything.

I had a charter business account at my office and they wouldn't switch my account from upstairs in the building to the main floor (keep in mind I was already pre-wired in both locations in the building and it was as simple as unscrewing the connection upstairs and screwing in the connection on the main floor) and it 3 weeks to do that. I had my our fiber company come and install us the next day and they had to wire through the entire building.

I didn't find their service or support any better than residential.

Also just because he works from home doesn't mean he needs a business account. That's just stupid. Why give charter more money than you have to. He'd still have terrible service as it sounds like his node is congested or has serious issues that prioritization won't fix.

Review by dataice See Profile

• Location: Crisfield,Somerset,MD
Good "Quick Install, and free modem."
Bad "Only offers 8/1 in my area, and speeds are inconsistent, and drop dramatically in the evening."
Overall "Charter is my only option, if I want more than entry-level DSL."

·Verizon Online DSL
04/23/2014: I stopped by my local office today to see if Charter is running any specials on their internet service. I was told by the lady in the office that I could get 30/4 for $39.99 a month plus $5 a month extra for a wireless router. She said if I bundle it with their Silver TV package she would knock off $10 a month from my internet service, and give me both services for $54.99 a month, not including taxes and fees. She said with those added, I would be paying around $60 a month. I thought that was a good deal and I decided to take her up on her offer.

I was told however, that we still don't have access to any HD content from Charter, even though all of our local over the air stations broadcast an HD signal. We also don't have any DVR options here with Charter, or On Demand features. Charter is truly stuck in the 90's, in my local area. But, considering she's throwing in the TV service for $10 more a month than standalone internet, I still thought it's a decent deal. I'll just drop the TV service after the one year promo is up. I have a Netflix, and Hulu Plus subscription, so I will rarely watch their TV service anyway, unless it's to watch Game of Thrones on HBO, or a breaking news or weather event.

She said there would be a one time, $39.99 install fee, and a one time $29.99 activation fee for the wireless router which she said has to be paid up front before they will schedule an install. This company will find any excuse to nickel and dime you to death. I paid the up front fees, and was given a install window of 8 am - Noon tomorrow for my install. That's a pretty good turnaround. So, I set it up and told them I would make sure to be home when he comes.

04/24/2014: The technician showed up at 10 am. He had a bit of a mess to sort out in the junction box of my apartment complex because many of the lines to the individual units were missing their corresponding apartment number tags, so it took him nearly an hour just to figure out which line was mine.

After he came back in to begin the install, I casually mentioned what I was paying currently with Verizon for 3 Mbps DSL, and was happy to discover for about the same price I was going to get 30 Mbps with Charter. He quickly stopped me and said who told you that? I said, the lady down at the local office. He said, I don't know why she keeps telling people we offer 30/4 when we only offer 8/1 for your area. Well, that's just great I thought to myself. But, even at 8/1, it's still better than the 3/768 that I get with Verizon.

About an hour later, he finishes his install and calls in to provision my services. The picture quality of the SD digital service is poor. They are still using a late 90's Motorola DCT2000 SD receiver for our cable system. The SD digital picture is out of focus, and heavily pixelated on at least two-thirds of the channels. He asked me to do a speed test before he left to make sure everything looks okay. I pulled in just over 12 Mbps. Considering I'm only supposed to be getting 8 Mbps, I considered myself lucky.

04/25/2014: So far, so good as far as the internet goes. My speed did drop down to about 7 - 8 Mbps during peak hours from 5 - 11 pm last night, but considering I'm only supposed to get 8 Mbps to begin with, I can live with it. I am able to get 11 - 12 Mbps during non peak times.

04/26/2014: I logged into their web-site this evening to set up my account. I then discover I am not getting my services for $54.99 a month like I was told at the office. I was going to be paying $64.99 a month, plus an additional $6.99 for the SD receiver that she said would be included in the cost of the promo, for a total of $71.98, and that doesn't include any taxes or fees. With those added, I'm looking at around $80 a month. Quite a bit more than the $60 I was told I would be paying. Yet another false statement from this company.

Considering I have had dealings with Charter in the past, doing battle with them, just to get them to provide my apartment complex with services in the first place, I know it's a waste of time to get them to honor their agreement with me. They have no problem telling you one thing, and doing the opposite. I'm not about to rearrange my schedule to drive to the other side of town to deal with the lady at the local office. Shame on me for thinking that maybe they had changed. I will just keep it for the first year, then scale back to internet only when my promo is up. I'll update my review if I begin to have any issues with my services.

04/28/2014: I received an email that my first bill is due. They didn't waste any time. My monthly total with taxes and fees will be $79.23. I just loved the part of my bill break down that said I am subscribed to their Internet Plus 30/4 tier, even though they only offer 8/1 in my area, for the same cost as the 30/4 tier.

05/01/2014: I've been having to reset my modem at least twice a day. It simply stops responding. Tech support is useless. Their only option is telling you to unplug the modem for a minute, or sending a tech to your location. After checking with a neighbor in my complex who also has Charter, I discovered he's having the same problems. They send a tech out, he says our numbers are okay, and he leaves. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I'm also noticing some major issues with speeds, especially during evening hours from 5 - 11 pm. But, I know with cable internet that's just the nature of the beast. I live in a 330 unit apartment complex, so I imagine I'm on a congested node. My speeds in the evening hours are now dropping as low as 1 Mbps, and on a few occasions have dropped below 1 Mbps. I can forget trying to stream a movie during the evening hours, which is when most people are at home watching something.

05/29/2014: I suffered a 12 hour outage today with my internet. Of course when I called support their first response was to blame me. I told the CSR that I had already reset the modem and router before calling to rule out any issues on my end. Of course, he has me do it again anyway. They said my only option then is to send a tech. I've been there and done that with this company before, and they billed me for a service call, even after the tech determined the problem was on their end. Then you have to battle them for a credit. No thanks, I told the rep. I decided to wait until more people call it in. It's a good thing I still have my Verizon DSL connection as a backup, or I would have been SOL.

06/02/2014: I went down to the local office today to inquire about if/when we would see a speed upgrade. A tech who was coming back from his lunch break said, I wouldn't hold your breath. Those were his exact words. He said I don't see that happening in the next 24 months for this system, if not longer. In other words, be happy that you're getting 8/1.

06/06/2014: I returned my cable equipment to my local office today, and am scaling back to internet only. There are so many issues with their TV service, that it isn't a value, even at the promo pricing. Constant freezing of channels, heavy pixelation, and the program guide constantly losing programming information. My internet price will increase by $10 a month to $44.99 by dropping TV service. I'm probably going to sign up with DirecTV. They've been trying to get me back as a customer for several years.

07/09/2014: There was a front page article featured in our local newspaper today that the city has decided not to renew Charter's franchise when it expires on January 1, 2015. You know things are bad when it makes the front page of the newspaper. There was a local town meeting with city council and the County Commissioner last month, where apparently things got very heated, when customers were allowed to speak directly to Charter's regional manager about the dismal service. Apparently Charter said it had no plans to do any upgrades to the local cable plant here, and basically the city said, then we are done here. End of discussion.

So, now the city is in talks with Comcast about coming in to provide service to the area. There will be considerable upgrades that will have to be performed to the local cable plant, due to Charter's neglect of the plant. Comcast provides services to the northern half of the county, so this will fill in the southern half that Charter will be losing. I'm crossing my fingers, because if this deal falls through with Comcast as it is apparently tied into the swap of systems because of the Comcast/TWC merger, that will leave thousands without services. Charter is the only fixed line provider available to about two-thirds of the town's population, since Verizon stopped taking on new subs for DSL.

07/16/2014: I was able to find a TP-Link router on Amazon, so I returned the Charter provided router today to save the $5 monthly lease fee.

07/23/2014: Internet has been down since 6 pm this evening. Of course Charter has no idea why it's down or when it will be back up. So, I basically have to wait until more customers from my area phone it in before they do anything about it.

07/24/2014: Internet didn't come back up until just shy of 4 pm this afternoon. 22 hours total downtime.

Comments:

W8vi

@24.210.166.x

Inept or corrupt

You have been ripped off. I'd be fuming and getting a price reduction for the 8/1 speed and the additional charges they did not mention to you. Then I would be contacting Charters customer relations department. If not satisfied then I would be contacting BBB, State Attorney's office and writing an editorial for the local paper explaining your recent "purchase".

There either inept or corrupt - probably a little of both. Not all providers act this way. I'm with Time Warner in SW Ohio and they haven't pulled that kind of crap with me or the family members I've referred for service -At least not yet.

Please take action against bad business practices.

Re: Inept or corrupt

My father said the same thing to me yesterday. The more I sit and stew about it, the angrier I'm getting. Had I known the truth up front at the local office, I probably would have stayed with Verizon DSL. It's considerably slower, but at least it was consistent, especially in the evening hours when it counted the most.

The only reason I didn't cancel as soon as the tech came, is because they already had my $70 for the install and activation. I was trying to watch a movie on Netflix last night and it was buffering every two to three minutes, and that was a SD stream! I had to switch over to DSL to finish the movie.

Charter's franchise with my town is up at the end of this year. Several TV news stations here and our local newspaper have covered the situation of the poor service the county is getting. The city council has threatened to not renew Charter's franchise when it is up at the end of this year, but they've threatened to do that before and it was just a bunch of hot air.

People here are just fed up but we have nowhere else to go for service. When our local central office with Verizon DSL maxed out in 2011, it made Charter the only provider for fixed broadband in the area. And we can forget Verizon rolling out FIOS here. They stopped in neighboring Delaware in 2010, and passed right over Southeast Maryland, where I'm at.

My neighbor in the apartment across the hall, switched from Verizon DSL to Charter a couple of weeks before me, but he made the mistake of dropping his DSL line before he put his Charter connection through its paces, and now he's stuck with them. When he called Verizon to get DSL back they said no, because of the central office being full. The rep told him she couldn't add him back in, even if she wanted to. Her system blocks her from overriding it.

Knowing what I do about Charter already, I made sure to hold onto my DSL connection, just in case I found service with Charter's internet to be substandard. They didn't surprise me. I have to make up my mind soon, because I can't afford to pay $80 a month to Charter, and another $55 a month to Verizon.
csal1

join:2014-05-05
US

Re: Inept or corrupt

Holy crap!... I've never heard of any telecom company refusing to take customers because, basically, they can't handle the load. I'm from New York and out there they have FiOS. Its the best service I've ever seen. And I've also had Charter when I lived in the mid-west for a bit and they weren't bad as far as service is concerned but I had heard way before subscribing that their customer service was sub-par (similar to Comcast).

You should definitely make some noise on this. I know you said you said its a waste of time to call support based on past experiences but you cant just let them get away with this type of incompetence. I'm with W8vi, if you have to involve the State Attorney's office, do it (if you have the time because it does take time and effort)

Re: Inept or corrupt

Verizon hasn't taken on any new customers here for DSL service since late 2010. My cousin who recently moved back to the area tried to get DSL with Verizon and was told they couldn't because the central office is full. Verizon refuses to dump any more money into POTS. It's been the case for several years now. At least in my neck of the woods. They rather focus on wireless. You can still get a voice line, but a no go on DSL here in my county.

And as far as our State Attorney's office, they simply don't care about this part of the state. It's rural, and we are largely invisible to them. I already fought a battle with Charter last year. They had refused to upgrade my apartment complex with Internet service because they said the manager had told them he didn't want them coming in, even though they already provided Cable TV service to the complex, and Internet service to the entire block, including a sub division just down the street from me for several years. They simply just skipped right over the complex.

After going to the manager, I discovered it was a blatant lie. They simply didn't want to perform the upgrades required to bring us Internet service, because they had some people in the complex not pay their cable TV bills, so they just wrote everyone off here for Internet service. Even though the majority of us pay our bills on time. Eventually, because of my efforts, and our local newspaper running an article about it, eventually Charter gave in, and did the required upgrades to get us Internet.

That was nearly a year of my life, going around knocking on doors, getting signatures, etc, with very little help from my neighbors. And our local city council whose job it is to make sure Charter is providing a service, required by their franchise agreement was worthless. I don't have the desire or time to do that all over again. Just to get them to provide a decent service people are paying for. It's a sad state of affairs in this country. You can get away with practically anything as a large company, if you know who to pay off.

Charter is doing the same thing right now across town from me, in a low income housing development. Charter is giving them the same runaround my apartment complex encountered. Several people who reside there are going door to door, like I had to do. Charter never ceases to amaze me. Now that it has been exposed, yet again by our local town newspaper, maybe those people will get Charter to cave. But, as I discovered, that doesn't mean you will get a service that is actually usable.

I will probably vote with my wallet and just go back to DSL. It's considerably slower, but at least it's dependable during the evening hours when I need it the most. Thank God I held on to it.

strmhawke

@71.90.87.x

Re: Inept or corrupt

Have you tried looking into Hughes net or similar? If you live in a rural area is it still possible to get a break in the bill because where you live?

Re: Inept or corrupt

Several relatives tried satellite for internet and said it left a lot to be desired. Speeds were slower than 4G wireless on average, with low caps, and high latency which make it practically useless for gaming, VoIP, or other latency sensitive applications. My only other option is wireless with Verizon or AT&T. They're the only two carriers that have wireless coverage in this area.

I tried both, and was passing my caps every month. They only allow 10 GB's a month, and it was sending me into the poor house in overages. I tend to average about 150-200 GB's a month with Netflix and Hulu, which streaming wasn't an option on wireless. I'll have to live with 3 Mbps DSL, or stay with Charter and live with crippling speeds during evening hours.

Since I'm on a 12 month promo with Charter, I know they won't give me a break on the bill while I'm on that, which is a reasonable price at the moment. However, when I come off of it next April, that will no longer be the case for the speed I am getting. I would be shocked if they would give me a discount because they are only offering 8/1 to my area.

I read an article here on BBR recently that said, that some of Maryland's Charter systems would be traded with Comcast, as part of the Comcast/TWC merger. That's probably my area's best bet for decent service. If Comcast does acquire my system, then maybe they will do the required upgrades. Charter hasn't performed any major upgrades to our system in at least a decade or more.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
said by csal1:

DSL technology works on Channels. When you run out of channels you can't add more customers unless you add additional equipment. Verizon has limited the number of DSL customers in many areas.

runnoft
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

DirecTV & oral offers

1. Caution on going back to DirecTV given that your beef with Charter was that they didn't honor the deal they offered you. I recently moved into a new area and wanted TV service and was faced with deciding among Charter, DirecTV, and Dish TV. I quickly ruled out DirecTV when I started reading a highly disporportionate rate, in my opinion, of reviews here and elsewhere from customers who had **major** problems getting DirecTV to do what they promised at the rate they promised it. Too many new customers, in my opinion, are complaining that DirecTV reneges and then wastes hours of customer time on the phone trying to get it resolved. If I were doing satellite, I'd go with DishTV because of the appearance of better and more honest service. Of course for any one customer in any location, the mileage can vary. But at least read the reviews and see if you think DirecTV is as good these days as you remember.

2. I don't trust what any of these telecom agents orally promote as deals in person or the phone. Notice they won't generally e-mail you the deal so you can print it before committing to it. When it's on the website, you can print it off and it's harder to pull a fast one. I did get Charter TV and Internet, ordering service online, and the deal was exactly as promised on the website. The pricing was very transparent. Add this box, the price per month for the first 12 months goes up this much. Take this channel package off, it goes down this much. And as I say, the bills have been exactly right with no gotchas. The one thing I couldn't tell online with any degree of confidence was how much it would go up when the 12 month promo deal expired. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

2 edits

Re: DirecTV & oral offers

I haven't decided yet on which service I'm going with. I've been reading some reviews for both Dish and DirecTV. Both seem to have mixed reviews, with slightly more negative reviews with DirecTV. Right now, DirecTV is looking like the better deal for me, because of local networks. Dish Network doesn't carry all of my locals like DirecTV.

I may decide to just cut the cord again, and live with Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Vudu for more recent releases. I can use an antenna to pull in a couple of my local channels for local news and weather. Until I went back to Charter in April, I had gone two full years without cable, and after a couple of months, I found I really didn't miss it like I thought I would. Thanks for the info.

Darkstar1485

@71.119.65.x

Charter

Use their chat service to get the service and the terms. PRINT OUT what the deal was - they normally re-cap it all. Print it out. All of it...every word.

If they don't meet that, you can PROVE what your expectation was and what was represented.

2 edits

Re: Charter

I would have used their chat function, but it wasn't available when I tried to use it. I assume they aren't available 24/7. Even if they had stuck by their terms, I still would have cancelled. The quality of service is beyond subpar.

Now I know why over half the homes in this town has a satellite dish. They actually used that as an excuse in a town meeting with city council recently. They have lost so many customers here to satellite, that they can't justify spending the money to upgrade the cable plant. Well, I guess we should thank them for their honesty?
cross12095

join:2011-04-10
Hillsboro, AL

1 recommendation

Stop bumping your review to the top!

@dataice
I have noticed that every time someone else posts their review about Charter you quickly update yours with nothing new to add, just so your review sits at the top.
We get it, you hate Charter or whatever just stop bumping your freaking review!

Crisfield, MD

Re: Stop bumping your review to the top!

If you had bothered to look carefully, you would have noticed that I lowered the cost of what I pay in my review by $5 to reflect returning my router to save the router lease fee Charter was charging me.

Review by adrenatek See Profile

• Location: Asheville,Buncombe,NC
Good "speed is pretty consistent"
Bad "no clue what the real regular price is"
Overall "not worth it for more than $50/month"

Charter recently upgraded speed on all customers from a minimum of 30mbit to 60mbit down, upload stayed the same 4mbit. Sounds nice but I'm sure it comes with a couple of catches such as future price increases.

Service has been pretty reliable aside from some nighttime T3 timeouts, but I am just not willing to pay over $50/month for internet. Some of us out there would rather have speed tier options and be able to pay less. But instead Charter puts everyone on a minimum of 60mbit and won't negotiate the regular price despite them not wanting to identify what it really is. I have heard my 2nd year is going to be $44.99 from one rep, another has told me regular price 2nd year is $49.99, and another has said $54.99. Well, if what I have read is true then my service is about to go from $29.99 a month to $54.99 a month.

I think this company needs to offer speed tiers of, say 15mbps/30mbps/60mbps/100+mbps down with upload speed that is around 15-20% of the purchased download speed tier.

Comments:

dataice

It could be worse

It could be worse. Charter is charging me $44.99 a month ($39.99 plus another $5 for having their wireless router) for 8/1 standalone. They refuse to upgrade our system here so we can get at least 30/4. I'd kill for 60/4. Not all of Charter's footprint can get those amazing speeds.

I went down to the local office last week to inquire about if/when we would see a speed upgrade. A tech who was coming back from his last job said, I wouldn't hold your breath. Those were his exact words. He said I don't see that happening in the next 24 months for this system, if not longer. In other words, be happy that you're getting 8/1.

I did however ask them while I was there what I will be paying after my one year promo ends next April. The lady at the front desk said the regular standalone price for HSI is $54.99 not including the wireless router fee. I asked her if I could buy my own router to save the monthly fee. She said you can, but we will still charge you the $5 fee.

According to her that covers not only the router, but also for having WiFi. This is assuming she gave me accurate information. Are you being charged for having a wireless network, assuming you have one? They are the only provider I know of that charges a fee just for having a wireless network in your home. I felt like saying, will that fee also include a reach around while I am bent over? Unreal, the arrogance of this company. I will probably drop it after my promo is up next April. I can't justify paying $60 a month for 8/1. However, I would pay that for 60/4 if Charter provided it for my area . Heck, I'd probably pay that if I could get 30/4. At this point, I'd be happy to get that!

I agree, they should have more flexible plans for those that don't require a 60/4 connection. Like my 66 year old father, who only checks his e-mail, pays his bills online, and does light browsing. But, sadly, this is what passes for competition in this country.

Re: It could be worse

that is incorrect about the wifi router. if you buy your own to use there is no $5 fee. I have a wireless router that i own and there is no $5 fee. the only time there would be a $5 fee for wifi is if you are renting their equipment. if they try to tell you otherwise as if there is some "wifi service" or something at that office you went to (which i have never heard of in regards to using your own router) then just tell them you want it removed and take the rented router back and hook up your own anyway. they have no reason to bill you for anything other than the connection itself at that point.

also that is absolutely absurd that they are charging you the same price for 8/1. can you not get DSL or something? if i had to guess the cable system you are in is going to be sold to comcast if the TWC-comcast deal goes through. i believe all the systems that have been upgraded to 60/4 are staying charter and the ones that aren't are not being upgraded/possibly being sold.

Re: It could be worse

Thanks for the info. As usual I was given inaccurate information. I currently have a DSL connection with Verizon, but it's only 3 Mbps. I kept it until I saw how bad things would be with Charter. I wanted a faster connection. But I've found especially in the evening hours between 5-11 pm, my Charter service can drop below 2 Mbps. And on a few occasions has dropped below 1 Mbps.

I'll probably drop Charter. A faster connection doesn't mean squat if it's not dependable when you need it. I asked about getting a cheaper price for the internet, since I'm only getting 8/1 on a 30/4 tier, and the local office smirked and said, you're getting a promo rate as it is. I said what about next year when it ends? I just got a blank stare. My only hope now is that Charter swaps us with Comcast. Maybe then, Comcast will perform the needed upgrades to our system.

Re: It could be worse

did you get crazy ping time variances too? like sometimes it'd be good like 30ms and then other times as high as 200ms?

also since you have verizon DSL have you checked into frontier/centurylink or any other resellers? they might be cheaper and possibly have a CO closer to you = higher speeds.

Re: It could be worse

Oh, yes. During peak hours in the evening, my pings average 200+ms. In my apartment building 15 of the 24 units in the building subscribes to Charter HSI. Each apartment building in the complex is on a dedicated node. It's absurd that my connection drops below 2 Mbps, if a handful of my neighbors are maxing out their connections. Last night while trying to watch Orange is the New Black on Netflix, it was buffering so bad it was unwatchable. And I have my Netflix video settings on medium SD quality. I had to switch my Apple TV over to my DSL connection so I could watch the show.

I've checked into resellers, and couldn't get an order to go through because my central office (we only have one serving our zip code) has been full since 2010, and with a voice line being required now, since Verizon killed dry loop, the reseller contacts me and said Verizon killed the order. My line supports up to 10 Mbps but Verizon has all lines from my central office capped at 3 Mbps, even if you live right next door to the central office.

If you have a higher speed, you are grandfathered in, but if you make any changes to your account whatsoever, like dropping back voice service to the minimum economy package, like I did, they will drop you back to 3 Mbps. I had 10 Mbps for over a year until I made a change to my account. I was told twice by the rep at Verizon that I would stay at 10 Mbps. That was a big fat lie.

If I had dropped my DSL line when I went to Charter this past April, I wouldn't have been able to get my DSL back. Once you drop out of the system, they won't let you back in. Verizon isn't taking on any new customers here for DSL, just voice services. Obviously they have no plans to upgrade POTS/DSL to add more capacity.

Jeff Cali

@24.205.138.x

FCC Complain Procedure

Go to the FCC.gov website and click on complaint. My complaint was that I had been quoted $44.95 when I asked about DOWNGRADING because I was not interested in paying anything over 50 bucks a month. The representative I talked to said it was available to me, but she could not get it to go into the system until they had received my payment on my last bill. Whatever, the bill posted and I called back to get the new rate. They refused it, and I let them know what had occurred prior. No dice, they said. $54.99 was the new price. I let them know I would be filing an FCC complaint against them and thanked them for their time. I did and I got the lowest quoted rate for 6 months. Charter called me within two days of my complaint. They were VERY cooperative, so I guess they take these complaints seriously. Lay out the sequence of events in your complaint in as much useful detail as you can. I didn't even bargain with them over it, I just said I only wanted what I had been promised.

Re: FCC Complain Procedure

I may do just that. I am sick of the lies this company tells. Honesly though since thankfully I do have other options I think I'd rather just not give charter any more money. I am tired of how secretive they are with pricing and unhelpful they are. All they want to do is sell triple plays. I remember hearing once that their goal was to get every customer to pay a minimum of $60 a month to them regardless of services subscribed to, and honestly I believe it, especially after hearing what's going on with "dataice".

Review by robewhitener See Profile

• Location: Asheville,Buncombe,NC
Good "Very fast, good solid connection. 60mbps now"
Bad "Incompetent unprofessional installer"
Overall "Whoever Charter subcontracts to for the Asheville/Buncombe Area was awful. You'll end up doing all the work."

I recently purchased a new home, and had to transfer my service. The home was new construction, in a subdivision with underground utilities. I made the arrangements with Charter for an install, and made it understood that they had to bury the cable from the connection to the home. The appointment was made, with no problems. I think that in this area, Charter subcontracts cable installers, so this may not be on Charter, as much except for the subcontractor they chose for this area. The installer who came out, complained that our insulation was too thick, drilled 4 holes in my floor for one cable, because when he drilled the first one, he "couldn't find it..". He tore down 10 feet of my insulation to drill said hole(s). My wife had to show him how to plug in the brand new cable modem, because he told her that he couldn't make it work. Meanwhile, from walking in the house without checking his shoes, he tracked red clay mud through my home to the two bedrooms for the install, and the living room. (Thank god I have wood floors...). He hooked up the three cable boxes, and didn't hang around to see if they did anything other than power on. I had to call the activation line to set all three boxes, and ended up having to go to the local office to trade one defective box back. For some reason, Charter, or he installer, wouldn't use the equipment we brought from the old residence, so all boxes and modems from the old residence were in a box. The installer refused to take three boxes and a cable modem back. (minor thing. I could live with that..). They were also supposed to bury that cable, with the understanding that the driveway paver was supposed to come out within a day to do their job. He said he didn't have time to bury it, or to call someone to come bury it. I've still got an orange cable stretching across the yard, and am having to reschedule my driveway paving, because said cable strings across the drive, when he could have moved it 10 feet to the left, by using longer cable with less tension.

Done with my rant with the install. Now on to the service.

My speed tests are showing that I'm getting 45-52mbps download on my 60mbps connection, and about 6mbps upload. Not really that bad. I can be watching Netflix in the living room, my daughter can be streaming music, and my wife can be skyping with my other daughter without any major stutters. We currently have 3 computers, 4 smartphones, a Nintendo WII, a kindle fire, a couple of tablets and an XBOX 360 on-line when we're home, and so far, there is no problem.

I love the service, but absolutely hated the install process.

update 12/24/2014 Charter sent out a crew to bury my cable yesterday. Those guys did a bang up job, and even laid the area they dug back over with the hay. I'll have to re-seed it, but no problem there.

member for 13.1 years, 2528 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by tscotty See Profile

• Location: Saint Charles,Saint Charles,MO
Good "Fast, reliable, and works well connecting to work via vpn."
Bad "none."
Overall "I have had cable service in another city with another provider but this works so much better. Very Happy."

7/23/2014

I now have Charter Business Pro80 plan as I have removed the Ultra100 plan from my account. When the Pro80 plan was installed a few months ago they ran a new coax from the pedestal to the house and that improved the speeds a little. With the business plan there are no caps and they allow you to host servers on your network. I get 1 static IP with my plan and pay $130 per month. I just read on dslreports that on July 29th, 2014 the Pro80 plan will become the Pro150 plan with no cost increase. Downtime has been 0 except when the hard drive on my linux firewall died. I also have to mention that support is excellent with the business plan as you always get in touch with someone that speaks english and can talk tech.

08/31/2013

Charter Ultra100 is still working great. Total cost went down and they provided the modem (Moto6141). I am now getting 8 data streams and always getting 102/5.2 speeds. It works great for my needs.

05/21/2012

I still have Ultra100 and am very happy with it. No downtime since it was installed and I always get a 100/5 speed. I am still very happy with the service.

11/16/2011

Yesterday Charter upgraded my ultra60 service to Ultra100 in my area for free. I now get 102 down and 5.2 up. I have had great service with Charter with still 0 downtime. Other cable companies I've had have not been this good. My neighborhood has mostly Uverse customers so my node isn't oversold. I ended up purchasing the DOCSIS 3 Ubee modem they installed in the start for $49 and it has worked great. I think part of the reason the service is working well is because the previous owners of my house had it re-wired with high quality coax cable. I lived in apartment before this house and had charter and had nothing but modem sync problems but the cabling there was poor at best.

--------------------------------------old review below-------------------

I've had charter for over four months and had 0 downtime. Service has been great since the install. The installer wasn't able to answer my questions I had about the Ultra 60 service and he was in and out quick. I am technical so I had no problems getting things going the way I wanted using my wireless router. I ordered the Ultra 60 combo with phone and basic cable. We have 8 computers going non-stop in our house and Charter has been great with no slowdowns and a consistent 60Mbps even in the evening. We watch 90% of our tv over the internet (network and netflix) so the cable service isn't used much. The home phone works well with several handy features like three-way calling and more. Our house is 17 years old and has good wiring for cable so maybe that's why we have had such good luck. We used to have uverse but for internet this beats it hands down. I would recommend Charter to a friend.

member for 9 years, 3567 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

crazyk4952

100Mb

Nice they upgraded you to 100Mb for free! I have the 60Mb. Hopefully my area will get upgraded to 100Mb soon too....

Did they increase the bandwidth cap up from the 500GB that the 60Mb tier has?

tscotty
join:2005-07-04
Saint Charles, MO

Re: 100Mb

Not sure if the cap has changed but I have never used more than 350Gb in a month anyway. I just read on this forum the price might come down $15 per month and will be announced Dec. 1st 2011. We'll see.

said by tscotty:

Really? I hadn't heard about that. So, a free upgrade to 100Mb and maybe a $15 reduction in price....? That sounds like really good news to me

tscotty
join:2005-07-04
Saint Charles, MO

From the charter forum:

sudogreg

join:2002-01-12
Washington, MO
reply to KoRnGtL15
Got confirmation from an inside charter contact that the new speeds are... (uploads are supposed to get a bit of a boost, not 100 meg though, still 5MB)
3MB
15MB
30MB
100MB (also a ~$15 price DECREASE, from +$55 to only +$40 over the express speed price)

All supposed to be coming December 1, 2011 for most customers
to forum · permalink · actions · hey mods · · 2011-11-16 21:13:59 · · · Print

Re: 100Mb

Thanks, I just checked the forum and saw that. Actually I now just powercycled my cable modem and I am getting pretty darn close to 100Mb down!! This makes me VERY happy! Now I just have to upgrade my networking gear.....

Review by cc2iscool See Profile

• Location: Portage,Kalamazoo,MI
Good "When the connection works properly, it is as-advertised. 100 down, 5.5 up even during peak hours."
Bad "Constant packet loss issues, up to 30% at times. Managers don't follow up, ever. Techs lie so they can leave without fixing."
Overall "If you have another option, I'd recommend taking it."

I moved into the Portage, MI area into an apartment in late 2012. We bought the 100mbps/5mbps package (Ultra) immediately. The sales rep didn't tell us anything about a $200 setup fee for this service during the entire interaction via phone. I wasn't too concerned about it, as it was listed on their site (but was unbeknownst to me until after the fact). The techs came promptly and setup service. I was impressed. I was told that the Ultra lines were top priority support, almost like business class lines over the phone and by the tech, which made me even more impressed and happy that I chose to pay $100/mo and have a $200 setup fee for this "special" service just because I needed the upload speed (backstory - internet streamer).

Move on to a few days later, we started having issues with the line. Again the Charter techs came quickly, replaced some splitters in the apartment, and things were pretty decent. We got near sync speeds all the time, and were impressed at the quality as we had heard that apartments tend to have many more issues than what we encountered. We had a few issues, and had a few times where they had to test the line and the tap, but nothing too serious, we were still consistently impressed with the service.

Nov 2013 - 8 channel downstream bonding comes out in the area. We start getting about 10% packet loss on the line to all destinations. Techs come out and replace modem after modem, and even more splitters with the same result, we had 10% packet loss for weeks until we finally got a tech to realize the issue. We found that when the modem was unprovisioned, the line worked correctly, but when it was provisioned on the 100mbps plan with 8 channel bonding the issue returned. They finally got a line tech to test the first hop and they resolved the issue, or so we thought.

Things were good again for about a month or two, and then the problem returned. Random bouts of 10-15% packet loss throughout the day. Again techs came and went with no resolution, another 3-4 modems were replaced and lines were tested with tools not designed for 8 channel bonding. Consistently we were told that since their tool didn't see the problem, that it wasn't an actual issue, even though we provided clear evidence through a pingplotter result test as well as a ping test while the tech was in the apartment. One day, the problem simply stopped, after being very irritated and having a tech out near every week, wasting hours of everyone's time replacing modems and splitters, and being consistently lied to that they would setup a line tech to look at our issue.

Ever since, we have had issues with 10-15% packet loss. Sometimes this goes on for weeks, other times we get a week or two where everything is grand.

April-Jul 2014 - The packet loss issue has returned, and not gone away. 5-10% packet loss consistently, and it has been exceptionally worse since the move to all Digital which happened early in June. We have had literally 13 different modems in the past three months, three of which were confirmed by Charter staff to have been re-deployed in other locations without issue. We have had the splitters in our apartment changed 6 different times since Nov of 2013, wall plugs changed twice, and ends of cables changed even more often. Every time we call they send a tech, every time the tech finds nothing with his tool and doesn't care enough to try to fix our problem. Calls to managers go unreturned, as we continue to pay $100/mo for sub-standard service. I don't have a choice though, other internet plans in the area do not have enough upload speed to support streaming.

July 11th - 30% packet loss. Yes, 30. The connection is near unusable. Again we call, again they say they will send another tech out. I doubt we'll get anywhere. We called again, got some credit, for once, and more run-around garbage. We'll see if anything comes of it. Most likely they'll hit it with their tool that only gets one channel, say nothing looks wrong, and laugh in my face as they walk out the door, stating that they'll contact a line tech, which will never happen.

July 14th - Luckily we ended up with a tech that cared about actually getting his job done today. With the immense amount of packet loss, a line tech was finally dispatched to the area. We actually spoke with him, and apparently this was the "first he had heard" of this issue, and he is the only line tech for this area, which is really frustrating, as it confirms my suspicion that all of the previous techs had never submitted anything up and just told us they would so that they could leave without resolving the issue. So he was out today at the node (literally) cutting cables to lines that had too much noise on them. As of this evening, we're back down to 3-5% packet loss, which at least makes the net usable.

July 16th - We called another tech out as we were hoping the packet loss would have been gone by today due to the maintenance, but it was not. He confirmed that the packet loss was happening at the tap for our apartment, as well as the box that splits to a few of the buildings in the area. He raised a ticket with the line tech. Line tech will be here tomorrow.

July 17th - Line tech stops out again and talks to us directly, is able to see the packet loss in all the locations. Tells us that he's going to do some work now and they'll need to do some work on the lines tonight at 1am. Packet loss is down to the low 2%, so it's better but not fixed. Here's hoping!

July 18th - So far today we have no packet loss. Things are looking up.

July 19th - Still no loss, will update in a few weeks if nothing happens.

Comments:
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Channel Frequencies

Where does the packet loss start? First hop or deeper? If it's not the first hop, the issue may not have anything to do with your modem, drop or node.

If packet loss starts with the first hop, does it vary with time of day? If it varies, does the time of day correlate with anything else (peak period, neighbors home/gone, other devices you use)? Does your modem provide the frequencies of the channels? If so, document if they change between good/bad periods. If they change, perhaps there's ingress from a nearby source? Pay more attention to the upstream channel as that's generally a much lower frequency. Lower frequencies are much more sensitive to environmental ingress.

Regarding neighbors, sometimes folks in apartments "share" cable -- if you know what I mean. Is it possible your line is tapped by someone else? Their equipment could be causing ingress or interference.

I know the cable company should do this for you but if you can figure it out on your own, maybe you can solve it on your own...or at least throw ideas at the techs.

Another thought is do you have any friends in the apartment complex? If so, try your modem with their drop.
cc2iscool

join:2006-04-22
Portage, MI

Re: Channel Frequencies

Issue starts at the first hop. It's not a signal/line/noise/neighbor/plug/etc issue. They've taken our modems and plugged them direct to the tap on a different port, they just stated that it was within spec and couldn't do anything for us, since their actual tool didn't detect a problem.

Trust me, we've been through all this. They've got a ticket in to look at the node finally sometime this week. The techs checked for noise on our lines, replaced modems galore, no change. No noise, nothing out of the ordinary. It took the rest of the complex hitting 40-50% packet loss and not being able to actually use their networks before they finally decided to investigate. Luckily he actually took a few minutes and found that the BER was out of spec, and checked a few other areas in the complex that were complaining of internet issues and was seeing the same thing at other locations connected to our node. They believe it may either be an amp or the node itself. Although it's been 2 days since the ticket was submitted, and he hinted at the fact that if it was the amp that he expected it within a day.

Finally things are looking promising. It's just really unfortunate that I've had to deal with it for so long.

Edit: Just for clarification, this is an all-day thing with the packet loss. It sometimes gets slightly worse, but it generally stays about the same up until last week where we started hitting the 50% range.

Here you go: »i.imgur.com/fsGjGZa.png
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Re: Channel Frequencies

Does the modem provide upstream transmit dbm? If it's 50 or more, there's probably an issue (depending on how many splits between it and the pedestal tap). Curious, BER problems cam also affect VOD. Do you have a video package and an STB? If so, try some of the free VOD titles. Does it also have issues starting or doing things like pausing, rw/ff? If so and you still don't get results soon, perhaps try ragging about VOD. Maybe it'll go to a different group that tries different things.

Hopefully it's something they get fixed soon. Good luck.

I've been very fortunate in STL. Charter recently upgraded everyone to at least 100Mbps and it's been nearly a decade since I've experienced packet loss issues and peak period slow downs. Unfortunate that their customer experience varies so much from one area to the next.
cross12095

join:2011-04-10
Hillsboro, AL

Review by jopfef See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis,MO
Good "Awesome internet speed, and it's rock solid."
Bad "Dropped the TV service after the TV died...."
Overall "Can't beat the speed!"

·Vonage
7-16-14: I'm still living in my little house in the woods, and still have Charter. About two weeks ago, Charter did a massive speed upgrade to everyone. I now have a blazing 100 megs in download speed, and still a miserable 5 megs in upload speed; Charter really needs to boost their upload speeds to 10-12 megs. The download speed is incredible! Works like a charm, once I got a new modem from Charter; my original Cisco modem was several years old, had been cutting out intermittently, and the new modem took care of that problem for me. No dropped signals since I installed the new modem. Still have to box up the dying Cisco modem and send it back to Charter, so that I don't get charged for it. Very happy with the new speeds!

********************************************************************************************************************

5-1-14: I'm still living in my little house in the woods, and still have Charter -- but internet service only now. I couldn't continue to justify the increasing cost of the TV service, so dropped it in favor of a Roku HD box to use with my Amazon Prime account. (And yes, the internet service went way up in price, for just having a single service.) I now stream my cop shows via the internet, so haven't really lost out on anything. Planning on purchasing an OTA antenna next month, so that I can pick up the local channels for the news and weather. I still have great internet speeds, and I do NOT miss paying the huge Charter TV bill every month. Unless something really drastic happens, I will probably never sign up for TV service again; it's just a waste of money for me, since I'm not a big TV watcher.

9-20-13: Yes, I still live in my little house in the woods, and I still have my Charter services. I'm on a fixed income now, so dropped the 100 megs for the internet to the 30megs; funny part was that I didn't see that big a change, but it saved me a boatload of money! TV is still just the Select service; all I ever watch are my cop shows, so it's not worth paying for anything else. No DVR box, just an HD box. I don't ever have any problems with internet speed; I have the tap in my back yard, and usually run at 40-45 megs. *grin* Sometimes there is pixelating on the TV, but not any internet issues. Still happy with my services, but am seriously considering trying an antenna and going OTA; not sure it will work with all the trees around here -- but I am on the top of a hill. That remains to be seen on trying it; it would save some money, but the increase in price for just internet makes me think it might not be worth it.

AT&T has been sending me a bunch of literature in the mail lately, but I'm not interested at all. They don't even come close to the internet speed that Charter provides, so I'm not changing.

2-10-2013: I still live in my little house in the woods, and still have my Charter services. Unfortunately, I'm retired now, so have to shell out for Charter, so that's a bite in the butt; services are NOT cheap. I'm spoiled with the 100 megs for the internet so will continue to pay for it, but dropped my TV down to just the Select service; all I ever watch are my cop shows, so it's not worth paying for anything else. Also got rid of the DVR box and now have just an HD box; no sense in paying for those services either. Had yet another round with the bad signals a couple of weeks ago, along with pixelating on the TV. A Charter tech working outside informed me that there was an issue with all the wiring up here on the hill. Took them all day, but they have the problem resolved now, and all is well again.

7-15-2012: Still living in my little house in the woods, and still have my Charter services. Still running at 100 megs, although the squirrels did finally do in the line running down the pole a couple of weeks ago. A wonderful tech named Danny came out and replaced the line, it's buried to the house once again, and my service is back running at blasting speeds again! Just internet and TV, as usual, and I've actually watched TV a little bit more lately. With the Olympics about to debut, I know I'll have the TV on alot more while that's going on, particularly the Equestrian part. Looking forward to kicking back and watching things in London! Very happy with my Charter services!

12-7-2011: Pearl Harbor Day! 70 years ago, this year. Wow.... No change in the housing situation, and still no change in my Charter services. Just internet and TV, and am happy with both, even though I don't turn on the TV that often. I've had a running battle with the squirrels this year though! Four tech visits this year so far, due to the little buggers chewing the line where it runs down the pole and gets buried to the house. Too bad I can't discharge a weapon within the county limits! I gave myself a birthday present this year and upgraded to the 60 megs -- WOW!!! And then, unbeknownst to me, down the pike came the upgrades, so I'm blasting along at 100 megs now!!! Speedtest from from the head end has me at 98 megs, and Speedtest dot net has me at 89.7 megs -- can't beat that with a big stick! *grin* Very happy with my Charter internet, and my TV, on the rare occasions that I turn it on.

3-9-2011: No change in the housing situation, and no change in my Charter services. Still have the internet and TV services, and still not much of a TV watcher, even though I have all the services as a Charter employee. Maybe one of these days. *grin* I'm an avid computer junkie and put the internet service to plenty of good use, and thoroughly enjoy having my 25 megs here at home. One of these days I might actually consider making the jump to Ultra. Who knows???

5-26-2010: Still living in the little house in the woods on top of a very big hill -- and Charter is still my provider, since I'm an employee. I got the auto-upgrade to 25 megs, and now have a ubee Docsis 3.0 modem installed here; leasing it from Charter until prices come down a bit, and then I'll purchase my own. I was having a problem with slow speeds, until I got smart and changed the DNS servers; running like a scared rabbit now! *grin* Still have just the TV and the internet service, and I should probably dump the TV connection; even with a nice flat-panel here, I hardly ever watch TV. And still using my BlackBerry phone so don't need a house phone.

11-17-2009: Moved this fall, to a little house in the woods on top of a very big hill -- and had Charter re-installed the day I moved in. Install tech looked at the outside line after he couldn't get a good signal, said it was badly damaged, and then saw the squirrels running around in the trees. *grin* He immediately ran a new line and arranged to have it buried this time, to prevent any more damage from my friendly little "neighbors". Bury crew was here the next day, and no problems with any connections at all. Still have just the TV and the internet service; not paying for phone service as I pay a ton of money every month to have my BlackBerry phone and need it more than I need a house phone. Still running at 20 megs with no problems, and very happy to have the service on top of this hill; wasn't sure Charter was up here when I moved, but happy that they are!

5-5-2009: Still have Charter cable installed, and still working for Charter. The only problem I've had was a 9-day delay in getting the outside line put back up when a boom truck went by and pulled it down (had the boom partway up). Due to the stupidity of the person who took my call, the work order was entered incorrectly, and it took NINE DAYS for a tech to get out here and restring it. Once that was done, no problems.

I'm now running at 20 megs, and it's great! Today, just for fun, I installed Windows 7 RC 1, and it's running on Charter. Way better than Vista, and my laptop is hitting top speeds now. Very pleased with that, and will probably upgrade when the final release comes out.

9-23-2008: Well, it's back to Charter cable for services again. I moved in June, and the DSL that was available here absolutely sucked on speed. So out the door with it. I'm a Charter employee, so had the TV and the internet installed, and it's running just fine. I jumped to 16 megs for the internet, and it's awesome! AT&T doesn't have anything close to that, needless to say. The only problem I had was when a boom truck drove by with its boom up, and snagged both the Charter line and the electrical line coming into my house. Utility company was here in less than 30 minutes. Even with all my ranting and raving, it still took Charter NINE days to get the line put back up. Disgraceful.

9-13-2007: I'm still gone from Charter, but that will probably change within the next few months. I'm in the process of looking for a home to purchase, and depending on the availability of cable being there, plan to have Charter installed again. It'll be free this time around -- it's one of the perks of being an employee. *grin* I find it quite humorous that my current living situation dictates that even though I work for Charter, I have AT&T DSL at home. I did just upgrade to the 6 megs on the DSL, to see if it's any good; I'll know when the new modem gets here -- I'm running the DSL here on an old 5360!

I'm NOT a fan of the bundle setup that Charter is offering. I don't own a television, haven't owned one in years, and see no need to own one. I also don't need a phone, since I depend exclusively on my cell phone. The phone line here is used strictly for the DSL line; there isn't even a phone hooked up to it. So I don't know how that will fall out if and when it comes time to install Charter again. Time will tell!

It's been awhile since I posted an update and there have been some changes, so here goes. I'm gone from Charter even though I loved the speeds that I got; very consistent, as tested with the tools here at DSLR. I was on a special rate at Charter for the last several years. Not only did I lose that rate ($26/month), but I went straight from it to the new rate of $58/month -- and that's just for Internet service!!! I don't have cable TV here, so that was just too rich for my blood. Called Charter and cancelled the service, effective the day of the new rate hike, and called AT&T and ordered DSL.

My Linksys BEFCMU10 modem is packed away for another day. I'm currently house-shopping, and it will most likely be put to use again after I move. For the time being, I'm using an old Speedstream 5360 that I had lying around here; it does the job admirably well, and is hooked to my Linksys router before branching out to my systems.

I was very unhappy with the massive increase in price with Charter. I still think they have the best speed in town, although I'm not at all interested in their 6meg offering. I am sad to depart from them, but have to do what's best financially right now. I think those prices for naked internet are ridiculous. :-(

member for 13.3 years, 5707 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by the1skate See Profile

• Location: Sanford,Lee,NC
Good "Highest speeds available in my area"
Bad "Scheduled down times not announced to customers OR tech support."
Overall "Pretty good now that issues have been worked out."

I have the 30/4 package. I got the package at 29.99 a month for 1 year. Now with loyalty discount it is 34.99 a month.

Ordering was real easy. It only took 3 days for a technician to come out and remove the traps on my line.

I was given a SMCD3GN wireless modem (tech said was an upgrade from their regular modem due to issues I had in the past) for a more stable internet connection.

My experiences with Charter have been a VERY mixed bag.
When it works properly my internet is rocket fast and rarely goes down.
However, here are a few of my bad experiences with them:
1. Four years ago I temporarily left Charter because some idiot in their tech support kept trying to tell me my internet was down because "No one has internet right now. The entire
internet is down sir. It's not our fault".
2. I once had a script reader try to tell me that my 30/4 package was working just fine because he could ping my modem and I could get on the internet. Sure my speed was only
0.8/0.2, but I could get on so it must be working right
3. Currently my internet only works at advertised speeds on weekdays until about 4 PM. From that time until 5:30 PM my speed steadily drops. From 5:30 until 11:00 PM my typical
speeds are between 2/2 to 0.3/0.2. After 11 PM my speeds steadily climb back up until reaching my normal 30/4 around 12 midnight. Pretty much all weekend my speeds are
between 6/4 and 2/1 until around 11-12 PM Sunday night.
A. I have been told by someone that was supposed to be a regional supervisor that new equipment for my area was coming online no later than 15 Jan 2014 and that all my
problems should go away. We will see.
IF Charter improves their service I will update this review to reflect that.

UPDATE:
As of 1 May 2014 Charter finally got the equipment updated in my area and went to 8 channel bonding instead of 4.
My internet speeds are as advertised (60Mbps) at least 90% of the time or better now.
Their tech support is still lacking, as you have to get to a tier 2 tech to get anyone but a script reader that knows absolutely nothing about computers. This can be difficult since the tier 1 support don't want to transfer you until you insist.

Comments:

chrtrfanboy

@charter.com

fair warning: This site is generally a telecom fanboy site

I live in Bay City MI, and happen to have similar issues with my charter Internet connection. every 3rd day at about 3PM there are connectivity issues. The modem connects to the Charter network just fine, but I cannot do anything with it as it takes about 5 minutes to DL one web page. I can't even connect to the Ookla speed test 'cause the flash plugin times out. I probably won't even be able to post this comment. It comes back at about 8 AM the next day.

There is NO POINT in calling tech support. I am tired of hearing from the Charter fanboys, you know, the ones writing all of the glowing reviews with the periodic updates (as mandated by their employer) on this forum?

I got a nice card in the mail from AT&T yesterday. U-Verse is finally available (after 3 years) in my (inside the city limits) area. I am thinking of trying it, or Speednet LLC. Yes, there is finally competition. BTW: I have had 5 MB Down and 512k Up for about 10 freaking years. You would think that they would upgrade it at some point, yes? Of course not. Per the NYT atricle today, I DO NOT have "high speed" Internet access. I guess, even though I live within the city limits, I am still a hill-billy. Thanks Charter.
wispalord

join:2007-09-20
Farmington, MO

Re: fair warning: This site is generally a telecom fanboy site

I had same issue but since im business they fixed it in a week they had to spiit the node they over sold it they care less about residential there is little to no money in it business class is way better I have direct email to techs and billing never really have a issue

chrtrfanboy

@charter.com

finally got to Ookla

it took 10 mins to run this, and it didn't finish. See attached image.... Never mind it won't upload. It shows 1225 ms ping, 0.03 Mpbs Down, and 0 Mpbs Up.

So mad

@myvzw.com

Charter sucks

From the A to Z charter sucks. I have schedule to hook the service at 1 they show at 5 just to tell me that they can't hook it up. I should stay with AT&T

Review by cross12095 See Profile

• Location: Hillsboro,Lawrence,AL
Good "Free Modem, Speed Increases, Internet Security, Epix HD, No Contracts, Low Promo Pricing, and Fast & Stable Service."
Bad "Have to cancel service every year to keep promo price, Fixing things sometimes take a few days, Usage Caps, "
Overall "Charter is a great choice when compared to their main competition (AT&T)"

Charter is the best choice for internet service in North Alabama especially when compared to their main competitor AT&T with their slow DSL and limited deployment of U-verse.

Overall I am happy with my internet service from Charter and I wouldn't switch over to AT&T even if I could. I am sure glad that Charter doesn't take advantage of the fact that I live in a rural area and they are the only truly viable internet provider that that provides internet service to me as AT&T only services cities while Charter goes beyond city limits into rural areas like mine. I wouldn't even dream of trying satellite internet, if Charter didn't service my area I would not have internet at all!

The main thing I do hate about Charter is that they won't allow me to keep my $29.99 promo price after the 12 months are up. The standard pricing is $54.99 for 30 megs and the lowest the retention department has ever offered me after my promo is up is $39.99 a month for the life of the account but I refuse to pay anything more than $35! So what I end up doing after my promo is up is I cancel my service, wait 30 days and sign up again to receive the $29.99 pricing again. I do have to pay a $29.99 installation fee when I do this but I recoup my loss after only 3 months by only paying $29.99 a month instead of $39.99.

So if you live in North Alabama and thinking about getting Charter as your internet provider I say go for it!

First the good stuff about Charter.
No Contracts
Fast Installation of your services.
Low Promotional Pricing for internet service. - $29.99 a month for 12 months for their 30 Mbps service
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee* - If you don't like their services within the first 30 days you get your money back.
Service Experience Guarantee* - Techs will arrive during the scheduled appointment window and complete their service or else you get a $20 credit.
Reliability Guarantee* - If you are without service for more than 24 hours you get a $20 credit
Service Disruption Credit* - For every day you are without service you get a daily credit. (This amount depends on your bill, excluding tax) For example on the $29.99 internet service it is a daily credit of 99¢
*Please note that you have to call and request these credits as they are not automatically applied to your bill.*
Free modem
Free speed increases when their network has the capability/capacity to do so.
Free internet security so no more buying internet security/antivirus/antimalware for your computers.
Free subscription to the Epix HD streaming service even when you don't subscribe to their cable service.

Now the the things Charter needs to work on.
Remove or increase usage caps. - 100GB for Internet Lite & Express, 250GB for Internet Plus & Max, 500GB for Internet Ultra.
(Even with all the downloading, streaming, voip, & web browsing I do, I have never received anything from Charter indicating I've exceeded my usage caps or having them threatening to cut service. So unless you are running a business, running servers, or pirating stuff you should be ok.)
Prices after your promotion ends are outrages, they should allow you to keep the promo pricing for the life of the account*.
*(Retention department will try to work with you on your bill after your initial promo ends, so remember to call!)*
No free installation available unless there is a promotion going on with free installation.
More American customer support agents, not having agents read from scripts, and bringing back their e-support department here and on fb.
Sometimes it takes the tech a few days to fix certain problems, for example I've had my cable line go down twice over the years and it took them a few days to get a new line installed.
Charter sometimes sends subcontractors instead of official charter techs out to you. I have had several occasions where I get techs from Prince Telecom instead of Charter techs. Which is not a big deal I guess, but I rather see official Charter techs come instead.
Upload speeds need improving - Speeds never go under their advertised speeds but when compare to their download speeds they are sure disappointing. Of course this probably won't be remedied until they do upstream channel bonding and finish their national digital transition that is currently going on in many of their service areas.

Comments:

Review by cvrefugee See Profile

• Location: Riverside,Riverside,CA
Good "Very fast and consistent speeds"
Bad "Price has gone up each year since initial promotional period"
Overall "Great deal for new customers, so-so for existing ones"

Having recently moved to a new city I found two ISPs to choose from, Charter and AT&T. Having dealt with AT&T DSL for the past 10 years I was excited to be able to try out faster service with Charter. I ordered the 30/4 package for $29/mo (1-year contract) which included a Cisco DPS3010 modem at no extra charge. The install went okay and the tech was able to get it working very quickly. He was very sociable and seemed knowledgeable.

I haven't had any major problems in the six months of service besides having to reboot the modem a couple of times. I live in a smaller apartment complex and my speeds are fairly consistent, sometimes slowing down to 15mbps during peak times.

My only complaint is regarding the Charter marketing department, as they were calling my phone several times a day to upgrade to the Triple Play package. My wife and I are not interested in utilizing any of their additional services and I've had to block their phone number to avoid future calls.

UPDATE:

After nearly two years of Charter service, I will say their uptime has been phenomenal. Only once has the service been interrupted and that was for a short while. My main complaint is regarding the pricing. There is no clear documentation that I could find which explains how the promotional pricing works. I've since found out that the first 12 months are billed at $30 per month, the next 12 months at $45 per month, then $60 per month thereafter. After I started getting billed at $45 per month, I contacted Charter to see if I could renew my contract to obtain the promotional pricing. The CSR explained that was not possible and told me how the price goes up after each 12 month period until it reached $60. Now, I don't mind paying $60 per month, but not for 30/4 speeds. I've read that the downstream speeds will increase to 60mbps at some point but have not seen that happen in my area yet.

Overall I still recommend Charter over AT&T, but let's be honest, there really is no competition if you want true HSI. Charter is the only choice in my area.

member for 10.8 years, 4274 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

thatguythere

@108.13.189.x

Speed Upgrade

I'm surprised you haven't seen the 60mbit speed upgrade yet, I thought Riverside had it turned on already. Up in Crestline we got 60mbit for business class last November and for everyone else earlier this year.

cvrefugee
join:2003-09-15
Riverside, CA

Re: Speed Upgrade

I'm in Canyon Crest and have only seen the speed increase a little bit every once in a while, but nothing above 35mbps.
com501

join:2001-11-20
Fernley, NV

Charter HSI

If you are not getting 60meg you should open a service call ticket. They had to move my connection to a different router. Also, inspect how your modem and any firewalls you might have in place are configured. Make sure the firmware is the latest, and insure that 'Stateful Packet Inspection' is disabled.

Doing both of these things made a 4x increase in my speeds.