Charter page on DSLReports

Review by KoukiMonster See Profile

• Location: Alhambra,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Fast connection when it works"
Bad "Constantly disconnects for a minute or two throughout the day and night"
Overall "Cheap but drops randomly and is very annoying. "

I recently moved to Alhambra, CA a week ago and had to choose between ATT Uverse 18Mbps and Charter 60Mbps. Charter was only $39.99 plus a small installation fee of $29.99. They actually were able to come out the same day to install when I told them I needed to rush it which was awesome of them.

I opted for just their cable modem and was given an Arris TM1602 and was immediately getting 62Mbps. I'm directly wired in through my Asus RT-N56U and then to the supplied Arris modem. However, within a day I noticed the internet would just stop working for a minute or two and then come back on full speed. This problem would start to happen everyday no matter what time of day. I called tech support and they sent a technician out and said the signal was too strong so he spliced it. It seemed to help for a day then the problems started up again. When the internet works, its very fast and awesome but the intermittent loss of internet is extremely frustrating when I'm browsing or gaming or downloading or streaming. I'm not sure what else Charter can do.

I am currently using Google DNS as well.

Update 12/18/2014. I called Charter again and Tech Support Rep acknowledged he can see some type of in and out connectivity issue so he sent a field technician out to me today. Field Technician arrived and said he checked everything and said he didn't see any connectivity issues at all and said the Tech Support lied to me (I find this very unusual and unprofessional that Field Tech would say this). Field Tech replaced connections outside and said I'm the only one that is complaining in this area and that its probably my new laptop that is having some hardware issue...We'll see how the next week pans out.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Signal

Sounds like you might be on the edge of your approved signal strength..

In order to see your signal strength. go to 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.100.0

»www.speedguide.net/faq/what-cabl···-good-78
KoukiMonster

join:2014-12-10

Re: Signal

Can't load any of those gateways.

Pisgah Rider

join:2004-04-08
Inman, SC

DNS Servers

Change your dns servers in your router. There are know issues with charters.
KoukiMonster

join:2014-12-10

Re: DNS Servers

I've been using Google DNS the entire time

Review by meskinct See Profile

• Location: Southbury,New Haven,CT
Good "Reliable"
Bad "Upload needs a boost"
Overall "Seems Okay - Really my only option"

15-DEC-2014-
Went all digital in September followed by a bump to 60/4 about three weeks later. Connection remains solid with speed tests of 66dn/4.3up. Unfortunately as part of the speed bump, the initial bursting went away. I was getting burst of over 240dn. Bonding 8 downstream and one upstream presently using a Cisco DPC3008 modem. Only thing lacking that I see is upstream bonding and an increase in upstream speeds as well as native IPv6/dual stack.

04-FEB-2013-
The internet connection is great. Solidly pulling 33dn/4up with a SB6121 modem supplied by Charter. Bursts on the downstream of over 110. The service is solid and consistent. Never have a slow down that I have detected. Pings are good and I have not experienced any packet loss.
TV - I'm an HD snob. The service is fair. I would love more HD but their base package is acceptable for the price. I am still on a 1yr promo for $107 for everything. This is $30 less (-$10 on the net, -$20 on the TV) than the normal rates.
Never has to deal with support so I can't speak to that.
Overall - satisfied for what I'm paying vs. what I'm getting.

02-OCT-2012 - New customer as of 9/28/2012
Service seems good so far. 30dn/4up
Service install was smooth. Techs showed up on time, pulled new service to house as it's new construction, terminated all ends, checked signals, all good!
Charter has supplied a Motorola 6121 modem.
Will update this review after a few months of service.

member for 12.9 years, 6884 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by CoolMan See Profile

• Location: Tennessee
Good "Quite Reliable, Receive Speeds Promised"
Bad "Shutdown the VERY helpful Social Media/Direct Support team"
Overall "It's either Charter or AT&T U-Verse Internet (with 18Mbps being the fastest available at my address)..."

·Suddenlink
Overall Charter is reliable and we receive the speeds we pay for. We have the 60 Mbit/s plan (previously 30) which is one of only two plans offered now, with the 100 Mbit/s being the other. We do not subscribe to their TV or Phone service. When we originally subscribed Charter offered a 3 Mbit/s and 15 Mbit/s plan also. They also allowed customer owned modems when we subscribed. Late June 2012 they made a lot of changes to the company. There new CEO Tom Rutledge has made changes to the company that some people are not happy with such as: no longer allowing new customers to use their own modem, raising prices, dismantling the Social Media/Direct Support Team, no longer offering more competitive speed plans, and it really goes on and on...

Also an update to some of the above, Charter has now been officially allowing customer owned modems for several months now (in addition they do not charge a monthly rental for using theirs), they also modified the Terms/AUP in October 2014 and removed the specific number (250GB, 500GB etc.) of the bandwidth caps, these were very rarely enforced prior. They still have the the following stated which were standard years ago: "Excessive use of bandwidth that in Charter’s sole opinion places an unusually large burden on the network or goes above normal usage. Charter has the right to impose limits on excessive bandwidth consumption via any means available to Charter."

The first major issue we had was when we were initially installed the signal levels coming inside the premises were out of spec due to a problem with the incoming line that was replaced and buried underground much later since the connection worked for a while until the problem became much more worse and caused many problems. These problems as noted in the thread below have since been resolved, and since then we haven’t had any more connection or speed problems.

»[HSI] Cable Modem signal levels continue to drop

November 24, 2013 - Started experiencing issues with loss of sync at night to early morning; it only started occurring when the temperature outside was below 32°F. Called Charter and they sent out a really great technician who was able to find the issue and fix it. Apparently it was a HSI only trap/filter that had went bad and also a bad splice (which was allowing water in which would freeze and cause the modem to lose sync) of the underground cable where it comes up and connects to the cable that connects to the tap. After that we haven't had any other issues since then. We also changed our modem to another one that is capable of 8 channel downstream bonding since it is now available in our area.

December 19, 2013 - Experienced an outage from 2:40AM to about 4:30AM or so, it was back on some in between and went back down again. Called in and they said Charter was doing routine maintenance when something broke in this process which caused the entire area to go down. By 5AM it was up and running and stayed up and is all running normal now.

March 31, 2014 - Water was infiltrating in the down drop from the tap, had to have it replaced twice within this month (March), and at the bottom where it is coupled to the RG-11 before going underground now has a waterproof cover added by the technician. We believe it has helped as we haven't had the water infiltrating inside again yet which was causing packet loss and disconnections.

August 23, 2014 - Internet connection was down from 4:25PM to about 6PM, according to the automated IVR Charter was aware of the issue. Here at DSLR there were reports of DDoS attacks so that may have been a contributing factor.

October 30, 2014 - Experienced a very brief outage lasting only about 45 minutes, this was during the scheduled maintenance window.

December 8, 2014 - Speeds increased to 60 Mbps download, the new "Spectrum" service as Charter refers to it (which is all marketing). We do not have any issues with the connection to report currently and overall it has been rock solid for months.

member for 6.9 years, 672 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by sergek76 See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis,MO
Good "fast, reliable service"
Bad "max 4 Mb/s upload speed"
Overall "best bang and reliability for the $"

Got the silver triple play. Ordered with the standard 4 hour installation window, but once the tech arrived everything went fast with no issues. Overall very happy with the service so far with only one disruption of about 1/2 day in the last 1.5 years.

On the internet side it would be nice to have faster upload speeds from the 4Mb/s, but overall can't complain with 100/4 service as its been able to meet all my family's needs of multiple Netflix streams and webex class presentations.

On the TV side they need some help. The HD picture could be better (pixelation during fast scenes and explosions) and the cable box guide looks like it hasn't been updated since the 80's. The DVR menu and functionality also comes from the 80's.

Overall I think its a relatively good package with reasonable pricing, but I'm scared to see what the price will be like once the new customer pricing rates wear off.

Comments:
stridr69

join:2003-05-19
San Luis Obispo, CA

After promo price

I'm on a similar plan as your are($132) per month. In February my cost will go up around $35 per month. So perhaps that would be similar to your cost. Just a ballpark figure though....

Review by mungtung See Profile

• Location: Lawrenceville,Gwinnett,GA
Good "Rock Solid"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Couldn't be happier!"

Bellsouth accidentally dumped my dsl connection several months ago. I'd been a dsl customer for several years because Charter was the worst of the worst where I'm located.
But with the dsl disconnect, I decided to try charter again.... + couldn't be happier.
It stays up and is fast... that's all I ask for.
Rate down is 2.9~3.0 and up is 256....
The ip is supposed to float, but has stayed the same for the 12 months I've had service.
Installation was a breeze. I called one day and the next day I was rolling.
As of 5/2014 still happy with speed and up-time.
Still happy on 11/29/2014

Comments:

Review by dispatcher21 See Profile

• Location: Walla Walla,Walla Walla,WA
Good "After most recent pricing change and speed bump, its pretty awesome"
Bad "None really. Good speed, good uptime and price isnt bad"
Overall "For this area, best value for the speed. Good price for internet/phone bundle"

New review since its been a while since the original and a lot has changed. Current speed of 60/4 is awesome and their new price structure is not too bad. For this area, they have the best speed for the price. In the several years I have been with them, only a couple outages and a few brief interruptions, connection is stable. Phone techs are not to bright but the techs on the trucks in this area are pretty with it. I recommend Charter to everyone in town.

Comments:

Review by mixdup See Profile

• Location: Calera,Shelby,AL
Good "Nice, stable connection. 100Mbps connection even out in the suburbs of Birmingham, Alabama"
Bad "Had trouble getting things installed originally, especially on the TV side with CableCard equipment."
Overall "Decent service, definitely see an improving trend, but still not perfect."

I've been a Charter internet customer now for about four or five years, but just now getting around to reviewing them. The price listed is the price I was paying for internet only, although I have since switched to a bundle so my internet price, as a line item, is probably half what is listed. However I thought it most fair to list their unbundled price for the package I have.

My original install five years ago was perfectly smooth and uneventful. I was able to call and schedule the install without issue. As far as I remember, the installer showed up at a reasonable point in the install window. This was a new house so they ran a brand new underground line from the tap to my house (which was only about 10-15 feet). Speeds have been exactly as advertised the entire time I had them (it was a 15mbit down plan originally) and has generally been stable. About a year ago I had problems with my modem losing sync every time it got reasonably cold, but it never got to the point that I called support about it. Eventually that issue went away, so I am assuming they fixed it. Since then, it's been rock solid, excepting the very very occasional issue with packet loss that honestly could be outside of Charter's network.

My only criticisms are generally around the TV product. They have a decent HD lineup, but of course satellite beats them. However, their bundle pricing beats the pants off Charter Internet + DirecTV for TV. The main problem I had was that I am a CableCard/TiVo customer, and their install process for CableCard sucks. The original TV installer did not have them on the truck, and the ones he eventually brought did not work. Missed appointments, no one able to get it work. Eventually I had to escalate through a Charter employee who happens to monitor DSL Reports occasionally.

Also, they have a very steep install fee ($200) that they will not, under any circumstances (even as compensation for two weeks of missed appointments) ever budge on that applies to their 100mbit internet plan. I would really, really like to upgrade to this plan but right now it's 100/5, and that low upload speed doesn't really justify doubling the price and paying $200 (essentially paying for the modem, which you must rent, and the tech to come out and verify your signals)

Overall they are decent, but the customer service aspect is mediocre as you would expect from a cable company. They are much improved from their bankruptcy days, and I hope that trend continues.

UPDATE:

I am moving from a Charter area, but wanted to update this review before I move.

Lately my internet has been very stable. Had some trouble with World of Warcraft, but that could be due to WoW servers, not necessarily Charter. They have gone all digital on the TV side and the channel lineup beats satellite hands down. Plus, it's still cheaper than satellite + stand alone internet. Still wish they would provide more than 5Mbps for the upload on the Ultra 100 internet tier.

member for 11.4 years, 944 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Seranos See Profile

• Location: Lawrenceville,Gwinnett,GA
Good "is faster than ATT ( but who isn't)"
Bad "Horrible reliability and customer (non) support"
Overall "if you do not have another choice, then is ok I guess"

Ordering the service is a breeze. They make it so easy and nice that you would think this is how is going to be. Well the good service stops there. Installation time is a joke. Is like in that movie where the guy waits for you to be at the bathroom, ring once and then run. They have missed the time under the pretense that no one was at home. Well I have a video system and told them I can prove that no one from Charter showed up. Customer (non) service could not care less. Long story shorty they show up 2 weeks later, finally the service is installed. Now, the service itself is ok when it works. But.. there is some packet loss, reliability is so ..so when: is windy, rains, in the afternoon when the network is loaded, when some one from Charter messes up with the network. Over all is the last resort if in your area there is no other provider. But let me tell you, is by far better than ATTs service.

Comments:

Review by riekajb See Profile

• Location: Salida,Stanislaus,CA
Good "Fast when working"
Bad "Doesn't work all the time"
Overall "Unreliable"

I haven't gone a week without interruption since I have been using it.
They sent someone onsite who replaced my modem (from Motorola SB 6121 to a Arris) and that still didn't resolve the disconnects.
Not happy with the support or the onsite techs.
One is coming onsite tomorrow to try and resolve this again, if that doesn't work then I will have to go to ATT because I can't get Comcast.
I've heard back things about ATT.

Comments:

Review by Chubbysumo See Profile

• Location: Duluth,Saint Louis,MN
Good "Faster than area competition"
Bad "Phone support is still useless, the local office is the placed to go"
Overall "Speeds are still stable, and getting 90+mbps all the time"

Still faster than Qwest(but they now have a 40mbps tier here).

Services I currently have are:

100/5 ultra 100 tier

115 per month flat, since no taxes on internet offerings are legal yet. I also own my own modem, and yes, you still can use them, charter just will not support issues with them.

Still on it, still working without interrupts. I do get the full 60mbps down, its just that most speed test sites and servers cant handle it simply because of capacity and finite bandwidth. I had a tech here for 3 hours to prove it, and he did. Just open a bunch of downloads and see for yourself. Far servers that can handle fast tests are too far away to EVER report full bandwidth. Good customer service, Phone customer service has improved, but not by much.

UPDATE: Speedtest.net and other sites now are able to go the full 65 that I can get down, and the 5.2 up that I get. It is still worth paying for the speed, when caps are not enforced in my area, and I dont have to wait for large files. Plus, if they did enforce the cap, I could eat thru it in less than a day. Total theoretical download per 31 day billing cycle is just over 19TB(yes, that is terabytes), so the 500GB cap is easily passed, at least for me.

Update 1/24/12: still works flawlessly. Only a few outages, and they were all caused by drunks hitting poles. Upgraded to ultra 100 from ultra 60, and its cheaper. I did have a few issues with a botnet that was also a charter customer spamming my IP with a portscan and DoS attack, but after submitting a complaint it was resolved within an hour. Stick within the ToS, and enjoy the faster speeds that they can offer.

Update 4/10/12: still going fast, and no outages(aside from maintenance at early morning). Still getting at least 95 down, and my full 5 up. Price went up, with the ultra100 tier, and basic plus expanded service the total bill is now $185 before taxes and "fees", and the total after is around $205. Also added HBO and Showtime because of a promo, which makes them free for 2 months. Charters OnDemand selection is actually quite impressive, and compliments their services very nicely, so look around it before you say its not worth it.

Update 10/1/2012: service is still fast, and actually got a little cheaper, with the bill coming in at $180(dont ask me how, i dont know). download and upload speeds are dead on, and don't even fluctuate during peak usage hours. TV is still stable and channels all come in.

Update 11/7/13: Now just an internet only household, since I cut the cable about two months ago. The cap for the ultra100 tier is still not enforced here yet, since i regularly go over, that's a good thing. Finally got the wiring issues sorted out in the new apartments, but I had to run a new line in from the tap. price could be better, but when your competition only offers 6mbps for about the same price, its not really that hard of a decision. Keep getting sales pitches now that I cut TV, and even after I opted out, i still get them. Its been over a year of near flawless service, with a few hiccups that the local office was more than willing to help me out with.

member for 5 years, 1360 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Benching Far Test Sites

If you are using Windows XP or earlier, make sure your RWIN is big enough. 60Mbps is pretty fast and XP is tuned for LAN response times. If you are using Vista or greater, tuning is automatic so this shouldn't be a problem. The newer stack responds to high bandwidth and/or high latency by automatically increasing the RWIN.

If you are using OSX or a Unix variant, check if they have auto RWIN tuning. If not, consider trying to determine what the RWIN is and the OS supports auto tuning. If auto-tune is not available, consider increasing your RWIN. For instance, if it's 16K bytes, try doubling it to 32K. If you have low packet loss, increasing it should not cause issues. If there's some packet loss, making it bigger will mean a lost packet will cause a longer stall and recovery -- so it's good to tweak gradually.
Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI

Re: Benching Far Test Sites

never had issues getting the full 100mbps(still get it). I quit using XP ages ago, and if you read the updates, its now the ultra100, and I have no issues with it.