Charter page on DSLReports

Review by cojoe3 See Profile

• Location: Holden,Worcester,MA
Good "internet speed"
Bad "less HD than I had with directv, channel guide is ugly."
Overall "the tv hd quality is good and internet and phone has been solid."

I haven't used charter for several years, when I was a customer the tv picture was awful. I was a long time directv customer and was very pleased the service. When I moved a few years back I couldn't get a satellite signal at the new house. I went to charter and was reminded why I left them in years prior. The picture would pixelate and the none digital channels were poor, at that time their internet speeds weren't very different than dsl. I went to the extent to remove a couple problem trees and mounted a dish in the backyard and goodbye charter. Well fast forward a few years and with a gamer and several iPads in the house, the dsl just wasn't enough. I held my nose and made the call to charter and went for the triple play, with kids I like to have a home phone. I put the order in online, I setup the install date and time, and didn't make high expectations. Well, I got a courtesy call the night before the install, the installer showed up on time and did a good job. I have only had the service for a week but no issues to report. I check the internet speed using speakeasy, speedtest.net and comcast and they vary from 30-40 meg. The HD picture is good, but the channel guide is lacking, and the number of HD channels is not that impressive. I have been following broadband reports since it was dsl reports and charter rates near the bottom for cable, up til recently I would have agreed. Not to say that things will change but for now I'm a happy customer.

Comments:

Review by Phantasee See Profile

• Location: Hammond,Tangipahoa,LA
Good "Really fast. 60-70meg down/3-5up"
Bad "Drops for about 30 seconds about 2-3 times a day."
Overall "It's so much faster than my ATT DSL that I can deal with a few drops."

I had Charter about 10 years ago. Just reordered because of lasck of support for dying DSL and the slow speeds. Paying for 3meg, getting half. They aren't fixing it I was told. Charter is fast and more reliable. Currently I am testing both side by side.

Comments:

Review by crk2h See Profile

• Location: Tullahoma,Coffee,TN
Good "Fast install! Internet Speeds seem pretty quick Lots of HD now!"
Bad "Out of date Guide GUI"
Overall "Great for internet and has a nice HD line up as well"

·LightTUBe
*** Update 12/15/2012*** I made the switch from Charter to our Local Utility Company which is a fiber network (Lightube) and I would highly recommend doing the same if you live in Tullahoma!! I got 50/25 internet and an HD DVR package and TV quality is so much better with a ton more channels in HD and in general.
*****************************************************************************************************

The new HD channels are here earlier than promised and wow what an improvement!

Also, the HD quality is much better now that the techs came out and got the signals to my house fixed.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2031120278.png

Speed not bad at all for 29.95 a month plus the 7 modem rental!!!

Had to update the review for the technical part as Charter has been great in customer service as well as the techs coming out to look into some problems I was having.

Comments:
Nspradley
join:2011-03-17
Northport, AL

Question

Are you referring to number of HD channels or you think the quality is bad?

I know that most markets are over 100 HD channels now so they have come a long way in that department.

Re: Question

Quality is good but There are only about 40 - 45 hd channels I guess I was kind of spoiled with all of the HD channels I had with comcast in Murfreesboro.
Nspradley
join:2011-03-17
Northport, AL

Re: Question

I obviously dont know anything about your particular cable system, however Charter just added a ton of new HD channels in this cable system this week.

It included 15ish new movie channels which is nice

join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by crk2h:

I would say both. There are only about 40 - 45 hd channels and I would say that the quality is not that good compared to what I am use to. Reminds me of what comcast's hd looked like in the beginning. I guess I was kind of spoiled with all of the HD channels I had with comcast in Murfreesboro.

Instead of bashing Charter why don't you go to their future TV site and you'd see they are going to add dozens of new HD to your area in a month or less. In Camden we are getting the new HD channels on July 13th. You should get something in the mail letting you know the exact date.

charter.com/futuretv

·LightTUBe

Re: Question

I didn't bash them I said the internet was great and that the HD line up sucks. That is a fact in the future when they add HD channels to the line up I will update my review accordingly. Until then my review of them is accurate and not a "bash". I understand that they may be doing upgrades but that is in the future and not now.

Murfreesboro, TN
Updated review as promised. I have to say I am definitely impressed with the HD lineup now! All in one upgrade to instead of having to wait for a few channels added each month.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

I Agree

I would say the HD quality is bad, The Weather Channel HD leaks though on my Internet Only line and I have compared Charter's TWC-HD to DirecTV's TWC-HD side by side flipping back and fourth between them and I have to say there is a significant difference between the two. DirecTV's feed is way clearer, you can see tiles on Charter's during fast motion, it's like watching a low quality HD video stream on the internet.

The HD line up sucks in comparison too.
mdavej

join:2004-06-09
united state

Re: I Agree

said by TheTechGuru:

The HD line up sucks in comparison too.

Must be a regional thing. In my area Charter now has all these channels that DirecTV doesn't, not to mention the 26 Viacom channels they just lost (Comedy Central, MTV, Nick, etc.):

BBCA, Cooking, DIY, E!, Fuse, GMC, GSN, H2, HLN, Hub, IFC, LMN, Outdoor, Oxygen, OWN, Style, TCM, TVLand, WE, and Wealth

Charter HD PQ is also fantastic in my area. It used to suck worse than youtube on dial-up. But now it's every bit as good as DirecTV and shows virtually none of the macro blocking that you're seeing. And the SD PQ is far better than DirecTV. When they eventually roll out SDV in your market, you'll truly be shocked at the improvement.

Of course DirecTV has them beat on DVR's, sports and monthly cost.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

Re: I Agree

I think

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFnSNzoQqZM

is just plain ridicules compared to

»hdsource.txnj.net/directvhdgui/
CompTIA Network+ Certified

Review by compuguybna See Profile

• Location: Columbia,Maury,TN
Good "Upgraded to 30/4 Package. Solid since Nov 2012."
Bad "Slight Packet loss during Peak Traffic Hours"
Overall "Converted to Charter HSI and Phone for $49.98"

November 2012.......................................................................................
Converted contract to Charter Phone and Internet for $49.98 (taxes included)
Upgraded back to 30/4 with Free HSI an Free Phone Modem. no taxes.
..............................................................................................................

EXTENDED CONTRACT EARLY. Admist all the price/package changes, I renewed my TWO YEAR price guarantee on June 26 (the LAST day this package exists). Got to keep my MotoSB5101U. Happy for now.

Downgraded to the Express Package. With the recent upgrade of speed on the Express Package, 15/3 is more than enough speed for my needs.

Was having some slight packet loss issues on the previous UBEE on the Plus30 package, and serious upload issues.

Bought my own Motorola modem and downgraded, and have had no issues.

29.99/mo. Contract ends Sep. 12.

member for 5.5 years, 2526 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

compuguybna

Dumped rental modem

Rate is 29.99 now. Dumped the rental UBEE.

Bought my own Motorola modem. Deleted $5 off the bill (and tax)

Re: Dumped rental modem

Renewed contract on June 26 for 2 more years (the absolute last day to extend).
$34.99 HSI only 15mpbs, customer owned MOTO modem

Review by technologiq See Profile

• Location: Reno,Washoe,NV
Good "Can't beat the speed for the price"
Bad "nothing so far"
Overall "In Reno it's the best bang for your buck."

For the longest time I was anti-Charter. My dealings with their customer service sucked, they were over subscribed locally. I ended up going with AT&T at my house when I moved in '08 because it was a new build and had FTTP. Unfortunately after a while it became painfully apparent I'd be stuck at 18Mbps for the foreseeable future. Charter was running a promo at the time for the 100Mbps at $59.99. I jumped on it for a year and have been extremely happy. Zero downtime, always fast speeds regardless of time of day. Once my promo ended I expected my bill to almost double - it didn't and that made me even happier. There has been extremely little downtime which is good. I have my own modem and internet is the only service I get from Charter.

My experience also made me switch from AT&T to Charter for our 3 office locations. My dealings with Charter business support have been somewhat surreal. I submit a ticket and have follow up near instantly along with several people making sure it's been taken care of.

So far, I've been very happy.

member for 14.3 years, 881 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by nerworks See Profile

• Location: Rockwall,Rockwall,TX
Good "Quick install, works as advertised"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "In Rockwall, best deal"

9 years Ago - Charter Pipeline - Rockwall, TX:

Oh boy, where do I begin. I have had cable internet service since @home and through it's transition to ATTBI and Comcast in the Dallas area. A few light problems over my 5 years with them, but overall solid, reliable service. Moved to Rockwall and was very relieved Charter Cable internet was available. Was paying $50/mo for ATTBI for 1.5/256. Once moved, Charter's Gold plan was $70/mo for supposed "1.5/128". Bit the bullet and got the service. Upon sign up, I was told Gold plan was available, but line upgrade were in plans. That was OK, I was hooked on cable internet. Installation time arrived and it was a nightmare. Made install appointment...technician never showed up. Called and they said he would be out the next day. The guy showed up the next day, installed internet, but forgot cable boxes, but said he would go to office and get them. He never returned. I had to call the local office and their solution was either I had to wait for this unreliable person to show up at a later date, or go to the office and get and install the boxes myself. The manager was very kind and helpful, however, I couldn't believe I was having to do all this, and it didn't seem to bother them. That was OK, all I wanted way my service up and going no matter what I had to do. I went to the office and got the boxes and installed them myself. That was my WELCOME to Charter Communications!

Ok, so initially my speed were about 1/128, not the 1.5 as advertised. I didn't complain seeing as how they had line upgrades in the plan, and speeds could only get better. That was december. Well, over a 6 month period, my speeds gradually got slower over time. Download speeds dropped to 768, 500, then 250 approximately. I won't even mention the upload speeds, which were a joke. My file speeds got down to around 25kbps.........hey that's like dialup! I got the same story of line upgrades when inquiring about service degradation.

Their e-mail is a total joke. It looks like something from 1995. No functionality and the worst user interface I have ever seen. That's what you get for $70/month. No big deal, I just used a client program. But for the money you pay, it's a slap in the face. I'm not even sure if a moderate PC user could figure out how to use their web based e-mail, it's that bad.

Hopefully their service is better now for new subscribers so they don't have to relive what I have gone through. Bottom line is with all the bad reviews of Charter I've read before signing up, I should have known better. When reading this, please remember this is for Rockwall, not ALL of Charter's service areas. However, I do feel sorry for subscribers who have only Charter as their option. I ended up going with SBCYahoo! DSL and they give what they advertise; please read my review. There's a company to model after Charter! Please beware of Charter Pipeline in Rockwall unless you start seeing some GOOD reviews. Sorry for the bad info, but it happened to me.

============================================================

OK...........that was 9 years ago.........let's fast forward to today, 11/13/12:

============================================================

I've had ATT Yahoo! DSL for most of the nine year period preceding this review after my much disappointing experience with Charter here in Rockwall, TX. The DSL service from ATT was mostly 99% reliable and speeds were as advertised throughout that nine year period. But at speeds less than 6down and 1.5up, ATT Yahoo! DSL (not uverse - can't get it south of I30 in Rockwall) is NOT competitive anymore with their prices and I'm frankly tired of waiting for ATT Uverse to expand throughout the rest of Rockwall. Charter advertises a promotion of 30mbps down at $29.99/month for a year, with regular price of ~$45 the 2nd year. At one point I was paying close to $200/month for 6 static IP dsl service through ATT Yahoo!. So, prices have dropped and speeds have increased. So, with much reluctance, I decided to give Charter another try, and hope that after 9 years, they have improved here in Rockwall, TX.

I ordered the special online and even made the install appointment online. Come install day, I got a call that they were on their way, and they showed up promptly within the scheduled appointment time. 2 techs, with "Charter" written all over their truck and their shirts, showed up. 9 years ago the tech was an independent contractor, wearing personal clothing, that obviously didn't know what he was doing. It was a relief to see that these techs actually worked for Charter.

They asked me where I wanted the modem setup and they got to work, checking lines to the house, and verifying the cable to my designated location did not interfere with my satellite tv service. Within 30min to an hour, they had everything setup. Since I was leery about my previous experience and what speeds I would actually get, I waited to ask the tech to do a speed test before leaving. I didn't get a chance to ask because he did a speed test at the end to show me everything was working as advertised. Actually, the 30mbps download speed advertised was exceeded in this test by the tech with a result around 70mbps down. This was with cable modem connected directly my computer. I've never had speeds that fast even though over the years I've continually looked for providers that could provide that type of internet access in Rockwall, TX without paying hundreds of dollars a month. I was impressed to say the least.

Talking with the install tech, he mentioned that Charter is concentrating on improving their digital TV service. He even admitted that the TV service right now is sub par compared to satellite providers, but they are investing in improving their service to compete. Basically, bottom line stated....they got their internet service rounded and polished in this area supposedly now. I hope so, because internet options in the Rockwall, TX area are very limited. I don't want to be stuck with shoddy service and poor connectivity with regular calls for tech support. So, we'll see.

Charter has a 30 day money back guarantee, so let's see how this month goes. It has been one week since I've had internet installed in my home. Here's my speed tests:

-Upon install by tech, he stated download speeds would be anywhere from 30-70mbps and he even showed me......with computer connected to modem, it was well over 70mbps.

-With a wireless router connected to the modem, here's my speeds from the router, both wired and wireless:

Wired:

»www.speedtest.net/result/2305232217.png

Wireless:

»www.speedtest.net/result/2305229376.png

Beyond my expectations to say the least. If Charter can improve this much over a 9 year period, there's no telling what the future will hold. I may even give their TV service a go if things continue in this direction. Way to go Charter! I have to believe in you because you've got the competition beat in this area as far as internet service goes, and their isn't much competition worthy to look at.

One thing that I will say about pre-ordering information is READ THE FINE PRINT! When ordering online, there are links to terms of service and promotional disclaimer documents that you must read. Big points are: there is a 30 day money back guarantee, there is a monthly data transfer limit of 250GB, and after the 1st year the price goes up to their regular price of ~$45/month. I gave their pre-service information a "3" because it's not intuitively easy to find when ordering their service, but it is there if you dig around a bit on their site. The major information in these documents should be listed on the order/information pages clearly before ordering, not buried in a document only accessible through a difficult to notice link at the bottom of the web page. But because the information IS there, I gave a "3" for pre-ordering.

Also, I gave their "tech support" a "3" as well as it's only been a week and I have not had any issues that require me to call in to tech support. I'll update that when I actually have that experience. For now, I'm giving a middle of the road rating to be fair.

The install coordination went smoothly and as scheduled, plus the techs were concerned about their own quality of install as they told me of a phone call I would receive after install to rate their work. The reliability of my connection has not flickered since install a week ago. Their internet service is top notch at speeds untouchable by other ISP's servicing this area and at a promotional price of $30 for the 1st year, it shames the competition. So, the remaining 4 categories got a "5".

I'll keep this review updated as time passes. From all the bad reviews I've read about Charter internet and with my own disappointing experience 9 years ago, I'm crossing my fingers and remaining hopeful.

Comments:

compuguybna

router

Is your router a gigabit router and a dual/band?
nerworks

join:2002-08-12
Rockwall, TX

Re: router

I'm using an older Netgear Wireless-G Router WGR614v9. I'm wanting to upgrade the router at some point though. Any suggestions?

Review by Tideman See Profile

• Location: Cottondale,Tuscaloosa,AL
Good "Generally good HSI service from Charter. I don't have TV service."
Bad "Here recently we have had several outages. But they have been rolling trucks."
Overall "Good provider. A little expensive, but it works."

Charter is a good system. A little pricey, but in my area of the country (Southeastern US), it has worked quite well. I do like the fact that I don't have to lease a cable modem from them, but can use one that I purchased on my own.

Comments:

Marcus2000

@myvzw.com

Horrible Horrible Horrible!

Review by beldin See Profile

• Location: Union,Union,SC
Good "Extremely fast speed."
Bad "A little pricey."
Overall "Excellent speed at a medium price."

We just recently had Charter HSI installed and I'm impressed with the speed. Opted for the 30/4 package. Speed tests blew me away with 41 mb/s down and 4.5 mb/s up. Certainly can't complain with that. Package cost is $40 / month. They kinda of lied in their online information about the pricing. 30/4 was advertised as $30 / month, but you only find out that's the price for 12 months with a bundled package when you talk to a sales rep.

The provided modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB6121. The invoice for installation had the price as free, so apparently, there's no modem rental fee. Checked the price on this modem at the local Wal-Mart and they sell it for $89.97. I had hoped for a wireless modem, but I had a Linksys WRT54GS that wasn't being used. Updated the firmware to the latest and it works well.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the service. It's only been a short time, but I will update as time passes.

member for 8.5 years, 1713 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by lemonade See Profile

• Location: San Gabriel,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Fast, reliable both download and upload, get 30+ when advertised as 30."
Bad "nothing honestly, may be the 250G cap, but most other company have cap these days."
Overall "Very competitive promo pricing."

Installed on 11/2/12, and it's been up and running for more than a week now, fast for my standard, constantly get 30-35 download when the advertised speed is 30. Upload is advertised as 4 and i get 2.5-3ish. For 29.99 no tax no modem fee, this is a steal, wish this promo price will stay for a while (very unlikely).

member for 11 years, 2072 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

compuguybna

12 month pricing

That's 12 month pricing. Will go up to $49.99 after that.

me23452356

@charter.com

charter

yeah you think it's 29.99 until you actually get your bill.

Review by PLamarine See Profile

• Location: Southbridge,Worcester,MA
Good "Great speed"
Bad "A few outages, nothing major"
Overall "Love it over DSL"

Switched from DSL. Using a lot of streaming services and 7 meg service just didn't cut it. I usually get 18meg instead of the quoted 15meg. Only two or three small outages in 6 months...not bad.