Charter page on DSLReports

Review by technologiq See Profile

• Location: Reno,Washoe,NV
Good "Can't beat the speed for the price"
Bad "nothing so far"
Overall "In Reno it's the best bang for your buck."

For the longest time I was anti-Charter. My dealings with their customer service sucked, they were over subscribed locally. I ended up going with AT&T at my house when I moved in '08 because it was a new build and had FTTP. Unfortunately after a while it became painfully apparent I'd be stuck at 18Mbps for the foreseeable future. Charter was running a promo at the time for the 100Mbps at $59.99. I jumped on it for a year and have been extremely happy. Zero downtime, always fast speeds regardless of time of day. Once my promo ended I expected my bill to almost double - it didn't and that made me even happier. There has been extremely little downtime which is good. I have my own modem and internet is the only service I get from Charter.

My experience also made me switch from AT&T to Charter for our 3 office locations. My dealings with Charter business support have been somewhat surreal. I submit a ticket and have follow up near instantly along with several people making sure it's been taken care of.

So far, I've been very happy.

Comments:

Review by nerworks See Profile

• Location: Rockwall,Rockwall,TX
Good "Quick install, works as advertised"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "In Rockwall, best deal"

9 years Ago - Charter Pipeline - Rockwall, TX:

Oh boy, where do I begin. I have had cable internet service since @home and through it's transition to ATTBI and Comcast in the Dallas area. A few light problems over my 5 years with them, but overall solid, reliable service. Moved to Rockwall and was very relieved Charter Cable internet was available. Was paying $50/mo for ATTBI for 1.5/256. Once moved, Charter's Gold plan was $70/mo for supposed "1.5/128". Bit the bullet and got the service. Upon sign up, I was told Gold plan was available, but line upgrade were in plans. That was OK, I was hooked on cable internet. Installation time arrived and it was a nightmare. Made install appointment...technician never showed up. Called and they said he would be out the next day. The guy showed up the next day, installed internet, but forgot cable boxes, but said he would go to office and get them. He never returned. I had to call the local office and their solution was either I had to wait for this unreliable person to show up at a later date, or go to the office and get and install the boxes myself. The manager was very kind and helpful, however, I couldn't believe I was having to do all this, and it didn't seem to bother them. That was OK, all I wanted way my service up and going no matter what I had to do. I went to the office and got the boxes and installed them myself. That was my WELCOME to Charter Communications!

Ok, so initially my speed were about 1/128, not the 1.5 as advertised. I didn't complain seeing as how they had line upgrades in the plan, and speeds could only get better. That was december. Well, over a 6 month period, my speeds gradually got slower over time. Download speeds dropped to 768, 500, then 250 approximately. I won't even mention the upload speeds, which were a joke. My file speeds got down to around 25kbps.........hey that's like dialup! I got the same story of line upgrades when inquiring about service degradation.

Their e-mail is a total joke. It looks like something from 1995. No functionality and the worst user interface I have ever seen. That's what you get for $70/month. No big deal, I just used a client program. But for the money you pay, it's a slap in the face. I'm not even sure if a moderate PC user could figure out how to use their web based e-mail, it's that bad.

Hopefully their service is better now for new subscribers so they don't have to relive what I have gone through. Bottom line is with all the bad reviews of Charter I've read before signing up, I should have known better. When reading this, please remember this is for Rockwall, not ALL of Charter's service areas. However, I do feel sorry for subscribers who have only Charter as their option. I ended up going with SBCYahoo! DSL and they give what they advertise; please read my review. There's a company to model after Charter! Please beware of Charter Pipeline in Rockwall unless you start seeing some GOOD reviews. Sorry for the bad info, but it happened to me.

============================================================

OK...........that was 9 years ago.........let's fast forward to today, 11/13/12:

============================================================

I've had ATT Yahoo! DSL for most of the nine year period preceding this review after my much disappointing experience with Charter here in Rockwall, TX. The DSL service from ATT was mostly 99% reliable and speeds were as advertised throughout that nine year period. But at speeds less than 6down and 1.5up, ATT Yahoo! DSL (not uverse - can't get it south of I30 in Rockwall) is NOT competitive anymore with their prices and I'm frankly tired of waiting for ATT Uverse to expand throughout the rest of Rockwall. Charter advertises a promotion of 30mbps down at $29.99/month for a year, with regular price of ~$45 the 2nd year. At one point I was paying close to $200/month for 6 static IP dsl service through ATT Yahoo!. So, prices have dropped and speeds have increased. So, with much reluctance, I decided to give Charter another try, and hope that after 9 years, they have improved here in Rockwall, TX.

I ordered the special online and even made the install appointment online. Come install day, I got a call that they were on their way, and they showed up promptly within the scheduled appointment time. 2 techs, with "Charter" written all over their truck and their shirts, showed up. 9 years ago the tech was an independent contractor, wearing personal clothing, that obviously didn't know what he was doing. It was a relief to see that these techs actually worked for Charter.

They asked me where I wanted the modem setup and they got to work, checking lines to the house, and verifying the cable to my designated location did not interfere with my satellite tv service. Within 30min to an hour, they had everything setup. Since I was leery about my previous experience and what speeds I would actually get, I waited to ask the tech to do a speed test before leaving. I didn't get a chance to ask because he did a speed test at the end to show me everything was working as advertised. Actually, the 30mbps download speed advertised was exceeded in this test by the tech with a result around 70mbps down. This was with cable modem connected directly my computer. I've never had speeds that fast even though over the years I've continually looked for providers that could provide that type of internet access in Rockwall, TX without paying hundreds of dollars a month. I was impressed to say the least.

Talking with the install tech, he mentioned that Charter is concentrating on improving their digital TV service. He even admitted that the TV service right now is sub par compared to satellite providers, but they are investing in improving their service to compete. Basically, bottom line stated....they got their internet service rounded and polished in this area supposedly now. I hope so, because internet options in the Rockwall, TX area are very limited. I don't want to be stuck with shoddy service and poor connectivity with regular calls for tech support. So, we'll see.

Charter has a 30 day money back guarantee, so let's see how this month goes. It has been one week since I've had internet installed in my home. Here's my speed tests:

-Upon install by tech, he stated download speeds would be anywhere from 30-70mbps and he even showed me......with computer connected to modem, it was well over 70mbps.

-With a wireless router connected to the modem, here's my speeds from the router, both wired and wireless:

Wired:

»www.speedtest.net/result/2305232217.png

Wireless:

»www.speedtest.net/result/2305229376.png

Beyond my expectations to say the least. If Charter can improve this much over a 9 year period, there's no telling what the future will hold. I may even give their TV service a go if things continue in this direction. Way to go Charter! I have to believe in you because you've got the competition beat in this area as far as internet service goes, and their isn't much competition worthy to look at.

One thing that I will say about pre-ordering information is READ THE FINE PRINT! When ordering online, there are links to terms of service and promotional disclaimer documents that you must read. Big points are: there is a 30 day money back guarantee, there is a monthly data transfer limit of 250GB, and after the 1st year the price goes up to their regular price of ~$45/month. I gave their pre-service information a "3" because it's not intuitively easy to find when ordering their service, but it is there if you dig around a bit on their site. The major information in these documents should be listed on the order/information pages clearly before ordering, not buried in a document only accessible through a difficult to notice link at the bottom of the web page. But because the information IS there, I gave a "3" for pre-ordering.

Also, I gave their "tech support" a "3" as well as it's only been a week and I have not had any issues that require me to call in to tech support. I'll update that when I actually have that experience. For now, I'm giving a middle of the road rating to be fair.

The install coordination went smoothly and as scheduled, plus the techs were concerned about their own quality of install as they told me of a phone call I would receive after install to rate their work. The reliability of my connection has not flickered since install a week ago. Their internet service is top notch at speeds untouchable by other ISP's servicing this area and at a promotional price of $30 for the 1st year, it shames the competition. So, the remaining 4 categories got a "5".

I'll keep this review updated as time passes. From all the bad reviews I've read about Charter internet and with my own disappointing experience 9 years ago, I'm crossing my fingers and remaining hopeful.

Comments:

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

router

Is your router a gigabit router and a dual/band?
nerworks

join:2002-08-12
Rockwall, TX

Re: router

I'm using an older Netgear Wireless-G Router WGR614v9. I'm wanting to upgrade the router at some point though. Any suggestions?

Review by Tideman See Profile

• Location: Cottondale,Tuscaloosa,AL
Good "Generally good HSI service from Charter. I don't have TV service."
Bad "Here recently we have had several outages. But they have been rolling trucks."
Overall "Good provider. A little expensive, but it works."

Charter is a good system. A little pricey, but in my area of the country (Southeastern US), it has worked quite well. I do like the fact that I don't have to lease a cable modem from them, but can use one that I purchased on my own.

Comments:

Marcus2000

@myvzw.com

Horrible Horrible Horrible!

Review by beldin See Profile

• Location: Union,Union,SC
Good "Extremely fast speed."
Bad "A little pricey."
Overall "Excellent speed at a medium price."

We just recently had Charter HSI installed and I'm impressed with the speed. Opted for the 30/4 package. Speed tests blew me away with 41 mb/s down and 4.5 mb/s up. Certainly can't complain with that. Package cost is $40 / month. They kinda of lied in their online information about the pricing. 30/4 was advertised as $30 / month, but you only find out that's the price for 12 months with a bundled package when you talk to a sales rep.

The provided modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB6121. The invoice for installation had the price as free, so apparently, there's no modem rental fee. Checked the price on this modem at the local Wal-Mart and they sell it for $89.97. I had hoped for a wireless modem, but I had a Linksys WRT54GS that wasn't being used. Updated the firmware to the latest and it works well.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the service. It's only been a short time, but I will update as time passes.

member for 8.4 years, 1713 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by lemonade See Profile

• Location: San Gabriel,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Fast, reliable both download and upload, get 30+ when advertised as 30."
Bad "nothing honestly, may be the 250G cap, but most other company have cap these days."
Overall "Very competitive promo pricing."

Installed on 11/2/12, and it's been up and running for more than a week now, fast for my standard, constantly get 30-35 download when the advertised speed is 30. Upload is advertised as 4 and i get 2.5-3ish. For 29.99 no tax no modem fee, this is a steal, wish this promo price will stay for a while (very unlikely).

member for 10.9 years, 2048 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

12 month pricing

That's 12 month pricing. Will go up to $49.99 after that.

me23452356

@charter.com

charter

yeah you think it's 29.99 until you actually get your bill.

Review by PLamarine See Profile

• Location: Southbridge,Worcester,MA
Good "Great speed"
Bad "A few outages, nothing major"
Overall "Love it over DSL"

Switched from DSL. Using a lot of streaming services and 7 meg service just didn't cut it. I usually get 18meg instead of the quoted 15meg. Only two or three small outages in 6 months...not bad.

Comments:

Review by Kn1gh7 See Profile

• Location: Buford,Gwinnett,GA
Good "We receive more then we pay for on the 30/4 package. Setup was fast and on time."
Bad "Free modem, but you'll need to buy a wireless router"
Overall "Very cheap but quality service so far. Way better for the money vs comcast or AT&T."

I've been having some major problems with AT&Ts 3.0 mb/s DSL service so I decided to make the switch to Charters 30/4 tier after my contracted ended. Right away I called sales and got a technician to setup our modem (Cisco DPC3008) the next day. It took him about 30-45 minutes to set it up and was out the door about 4 PM. I ran a speed test and I'll let you speak for yourself.

This was a direct wire test to the modem at around midday.
»www.speedtest.net/result/2210665359.png
»www.speedtest.net/result/2210679011.png

The speeds remain in the 31-40 range no matter what time of the day is. Though the ping drops down to around 9-15 at night/early morning.

Comments:
vardeman

join:2012-11-26
Shelbyville, KY

Pings

Lower pings are actually better...

Review by N1029676 See Profile

• Location: Ellensburg,Kittitas,WA
Good "Inexpensive and Reliable"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "Worth it"

I pay for the 2nd tier of internet from charter and get pretty darn close to the advertised speeds. Cost is cheap especially compared to Comcast where I was living before. Not sure if this is relevant or not, but I have received 2 DMCA complaints in the past year where I have not received them elsewhere. I hear its because I leave near a college campus.

Update: After reviewing other comments, I must add a bit more information. My dealings with tech support involved me being pretty direct with what I needed the two times (in 14 months) something happened. I think because it sounded like I knew what was going on, there weren't many questions asked so I can't accurately rate their quality with that in mind.

Comments:

Review by mrspock08 See Profile

• Location: Lawrenceville,Gwinnett,GA
Good "Value for money, speed (at times)"
Bad "Reliability is very poor, Tech Support is wrong or non-existent, service calls are a nightmare"
Overall "Crapshoot. If you have no outages & good service, it can be good. Outages & service calls are soul and wallet draining, though."

Charter for us, overall, has been a nightmare. We were initially connected within 7 days of ordering, however it then took us 14 MORE days, and 8 further service calls, in order to have our service (at the time cable TV & internet) working something that resembled reliably. It worked for a week and we started losing channels and internet. The couldn't figure it out. Finally after rewiring our house, the outside lines, and forcing me to replace my (customer owned) cable modem, they discovered it was bad equipment on their end. When even after that it started going out again we ditched them for TV, but are stuck with them for internet, unless we want 768k DSL.

We pay for 15+Mbps Cable, however my average speed is between 4-8Mbps. I've seen a high of 18Mbps, ONCE, at about 2am, and a low of under 2Mbps, which happens routinely.

Additionally, in the last 3 months we've had no less than 8 outages lasting more than 8 hours, the longest of which was 7 days. In addition we've had probably 15 outages of between 1 - 8 hours. Each time I contact Charter, fight through to talk to a human, and get "We have no information on restoration time" excuses and a general unwillingness to even provide refunds or service credits.

All in all, IF you live in an area with great lines where your speed is good and service reliable, you may be happy with Charter. If, however, you live in an area with poor line quality or a need for frequent service, forget it. Dealing with their service department and techs is horrendous, and I've had to go so far as to file a police report on one of their techs who tried to run me over with his van when I said something to him about showing up 5 hours late for a service call without so much as a phone call.

If I had any viable alternative, I would dump Charter like a hot potato, as would most of my neighbors, but for now we're stuck - much to Charter's delight.

join:2012-06-11

Wow, that is OUTRAGEOUS!

I assume that you are in a rural or semi-rural area and that can have quite a bit of influence on the quality of service you receive.

My initial service set up was flawed (tech came and apparently didnit feel like working that day, so came tested existing line or said he did and said there was no signal. A real gem with piercings all over and the obligatory tats as well, a real prize!) He said I would have to have a new line run from my house to the node just 20 feet away!

He refused to run a line and left. `

I called once again and informed the CSR about the experience and finally after almost 30 days a contractor for Charter ran a new line and a couple of weeks later a different Charter tech arrived and installed the service, was professional, polite, and accommodating as well placing the the interior outlet where I wanted it. I told him about the first tech and he said the previous installer was real gem he knew him pretty well. LOL Basically he lied about the old line and could have installed that day but didn't want to work.

I suggest that you send a return receipt requested snail mail to the new CEO of Charter Mr. Tom Rutledge, be polite, direct, and precise about your continued issues, without making the letter too long and what you want done about the problem. I can almost promise your problem will be solved quickly.

Review by Smileykat See Profile

• Location: Porterville,Tulare,CA
Good "Speeeeeeed. ^_^"
Bad "Not much yet."
Overall "When you live in an DSL only area, this is the ticket."

I've grown tired of AT&T, and their pathetic attempts to provide internet in this area. Weary of charter since their attempts to provide TV service to our old residence failed miserably. But, I decided to give Charter another chance, since I've hearing praise from an good friend that had the service, and considering they have been working hard to rig our town up DOCSIS 3, speeds that are way better than what AT&T in the area is offering, DSL in most places in town, and IPDSLAM Uverse for a few "lucky" people. The install went great, the cable was pre-installed, and fairly new. The tech just put in the modem (Cisco DPC 3010) and provisioned it, then all of a sudden I went from 1.5/384 to 30/4. Never going back to AT&T. EVER. With the current pricing, charter could probably snag a few people from AT&T.

Comments:

Guirish Agni

@charter.com

charter not that great a service

I am spending additional money to get what is called a very high speed internet service with 25 mbps download. I called Charter about my not getting even 7.5 mbps download in the evenings and sometimes getting up to 20 mbps in the mornings. This is erratic and I feel I am paying $45 a month for a service I am not getting.
Will go for DSL most certainly.