Charter page on DSLReports

Review by cc2iscool See Profile

• Location: Portage,Kalamazoo,MI
Good "When the connection works properly, it is as-advertised. 100 down, 5.5 up even during peak hours."
Bad "Constant packet loss issues, up to 30% at times. Managers don't follow up, ever. Techs lie so they can leave without fixing."
Overall "If you have another option, I'd recommend taking it."

I moved into the Portage, MI area into an apartment in late 2012. We bought the 100mbps/5mbps package (Ultra) immediately. The sales rep didn't tell us anything about a $200 setup fee for this service during the entire interaction via phone. I wasn't too concerned about it, as it was listed on their site (but was unbeknownst to me until after the fact). The techs came promptly and setup service. I was impressed. I was told that the Ultra lines were top priority support, almost like business class lines over the phone and by the tech, which made me even more impressed and happy that I chose to pay $100/mo and have a $200 setup fee for this "special" service just because I needed the upload speed (backstory - internet streamer).

Move on to a few days later, we started having issues with the line. Again the Charter techs came quickly, replaced some splitters in the apartment, and things were pretty decent. We got near sync speeds all the time, and were impressed at the quality as we had heard that apartments tend to have many more issues than what we encountered. We had a few issues, and had a few times where they had to test the line and the tap, but nothing too serious, we were still consistently impressed with the service.

Nov 2013 - 8 channel downstream bonding comes out in the area. We start getting about 10% packet loss on the line to all destinations. Techs come out and replace modem after modem, and even more splitters with the same result, we had 10% packet loss for weeks until we finally got a tech to realize the issue. We found that when the modem was unprovisioned, the line worked correctly, but when it was provisioned on the 100mbps plan with 8 channel bonding the issue returned. They finally got a line tech to test the first hop and they resolved the issue, or so we thought.

Things were good again for about a month or two, and then the problem returned. Random bouts of 10-15% packet loss throughout the day. Again techs came and went with no resolution, another 3-4 modems were replaced and lines were tested with tools not designed for 8 channel bonding. Consistently we were told that since their tool didn't see the problem, that it wasn't an actual issue, even though we provided clear evidence through a pingplotter result test as well as a ping test while the tech was in the apartment. One day, the problem simply stopped, after being very irritated and having a tech out near every week, wasting hours of everyone's time replacing modems and splitters, and being consistently lied to that they would setup a line tech to look at our issue.

Ever since, we have had issues with 10-15% packet loss. Sometimes this goes on for weeks, other times we get a week or two where everything is grand.

April-Jul 2014 - The packet loss issue has returned, and not gone away. 5-10% packet loss consistently, and it has been exceptionally worse since the move to all Digital which happened early in June. We have had literally 13 different modems in the past three months, three of which were confirmed by Charter staff to have been re-deployed in other locations without issue. We have had the splitters in our apartment changed 6 different times since Nov of 2013, wall plugs changed twice, and ends of cables changed even more often. Every time we call they send a tech, every time the tech finds nothing with his tool and doesn't care enough to try to fix our problem. Calls to managers go unreturned, as we continue to pay $100/mo for sub-standard service. I don't have a choice though, other internet plans in the area do not have enough upload speed to support streaming.

July 11th - 30% packet loss. Yes, 30. The connection is near unusable. Again we call, again they say they will send another tech out. I doubt we'll get anywhere. We called again, got some credit, for once, and more run-around garbage. We'll see if anything comes of it. Most likely they'll hit it with their tool that only gets one channel, say nothing looks wrong, and laugh in my face as they walk out the door, stating that they'll contact a line tech, which will never happen.

July 14th - Luckily we ended up with a tech that cared about actually getting his job done today. With the immense amount of packet loss, a line tech was finally dispatched to the area. We actually spoke with him, and apparently this was the "first he had heard" of this issue, and he is the only line tech for this area, which is really frustrating, as it confirms my suspicion that all of the previous techs had never submitted anything up and just told us they would so that they could leave without resolving the issue. So he was out today at the node (literally) cutting cables to lines that had too much noise on them. As of this evening, we're back down to 3-5% packet loss, which at least makes the net usable.

July 16th - We called another tech out as we were hoping the packet loss would have been gone by today due to the maintenance, but it was not. He confirmed that the packet loss was happening at the tap for our apartment, as well as the box that splits to a few of the buildings in the area. He raised a ticket with the line tech. Line tech will be here tomorrow.

July 17th - Line tech stops out again and talks to us directly, is able to see the packet loss in all the locations. Tells us that he's going to do some work now and they'll need to do some work on the lines tonight at 1am. Packet loss is down to the low 2%, so it's better but not fixed. Here's hoping!

July 18th - So far today we have no packet loss. Things are looking up.

July 19th - Still no loss, will update in a few weeks if nothing happens.

Comments:
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Channel Frequencies

Where does the packet loss start? First hop or deeper? If it's not the first hop, the issue may not have anything to do with your modem, drop or node.

If packet loss starts with the first hop, does it vary with time of day? If it varies, does the time of day correlate with anything else (peak period, neighbors home/gone, other devices you use)? Does your modem provide the frequencies of the channels? If so, document if they change between good/bad periods. If they change, perhaps there's ingress from a nearby source? Pay more attention to the upstream channel as that's generally a much lower frequency. Lower frequencies are much more sensitive to environmental ingress.

Regarding neighbors, sometimes folks in apartments "share" cable -- if you know what I mean. Is it possible your line is tapped by someone else? Their equipment could be causing ingress or interference.

I know the cable company should do this for you but if you can figure it out on your own, maybe you can solve it on your own...or at least throw ideas at the techs.

Another thought is do you have any friends in the apartment complex? If so, try your modem with their drop.
cc2iscool

join:2006-04-22
Portage, MI

Re: Channel Frequencies

Issue starts at the first hop. It's not a signal/line/noise/neighbor/plug/etc issue. They've taken our modems and plugged them direct to the tap on a different port, they just stated that it was within spec and couldn't do anything for us, since their actual tool didn't detect a problem.

Trust me, we've been through all this. They've got a ticket in to look at the node finally sometime this week. The techs checked for noise on our lines, replaced modems galore, no change. No noise, nothing out of the ordinary. It took the rest of the complex hitting 40-50% packet loss and not being able to actually use their networks before they finally decided to investigate. Luckily he actually took a few minutes and found that the BER was out of spec, and checked a few other areas in the complex that were complaining of internet issues and was seeing the same thing at other locations connected to our node. They believe it may either be an amp or the node itself. Although it's been 2 days since the ticket was submitted, and he hinted at the fact that if it was the amp that he expected it within a day.

Finally things are looking promising. It's just really unfortunate that I've had to deal with it for so long.

Edit: Just for clarification, this is an all-day thing with the packet loss. It sometimes gets slightly worse, but it generally stays about the same up until last week where we started hitting the 50% range.

Here you go: »i.imgur.com/fsGjGZa.png
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Re: Channel Frequencies

Does the modem provide upstream transmit dbm? If it's 50 or more, there's probably an issue (depending on how many splits between it and the pedestal tap). Curious, BER problems cam also affect VOD. Do you have a video package and an STB? If so, try some of the free VOD titles. Does it also have issues starting or doing things like pausing, rw/ff? If so and you still don't get results soon, perhaps try ragging about VOD. Maybe it'll go to a different group that tries different things.

Hopefully it's something they get fixed soon. Good luck.

I've been very fortunate in STL. Charter recently upgraded everyone to at least 100Mbps and it's been nearly a decade since I've experienced packet loss issues and peak period slow downs. Unfortunate that their customer experience varies so much from one area to the next.
cross12095

join:2011-04-10
Hillsboro, AL

Review by adrenatek See Profile

• Location: Asheville,Buncombe,NC
Good "speed is pretty consistent"
Bad "no clue what the real regular price is"
Overall "not worth it for more than $50/month"

Charter recently upgraded speed on all customers from a minimum of 30mbit to 60mbit down, upload stayed the same 4mbit. Sounds nice but I'm sure it comes with a couple of catches such as future price increases.

Service has been pretty reliable aside from some nighttime T3 timeouts, but I am just not willing to pay over $50/month for internet. Some of us out there would rather have speed tier options and be able to pay less. But instead Charter puts everyone on a minimum of 60mbit and won't negotiate the regular price despite them not wanting to identify what it really is. I have heard my 2nd year is going to be $44.99 from one rep, another has told me regular price 2nd year is $49.99, and another has said $54.99. Well, if what I have read is true then my service is about to go from $29.99 a month to $54.99 a month. Sorry, but no thanks. Years ago I paid Charter around $25/month REGULAR price for a lesser speed tier but that option is gone now. Charter could have saved a customer by offering more speed tiers but if price is any higher than $44.99 next year I will be cancelling when the promo ends and going with another provider.

I hate bundling, and I am sick of getting telemarketing calls telling me I can get TV or phone service. I don't want either. When my promo ends apparently I can get internet+phone for $49.99 but internet alone is $54.99? Selling me on something I don't need so I can feel like I saved 5 bucks. But again, this is not the regular price so after another year there would be a hike to who-knows-what.

I think this company needs to offer speed tiers of, say 15mbps/30mbps/60mbps/100+mbps down with upload speed that is around 15-20% of the purchased download speed tier AT MINIMUM.

I am not happy with the way this company has chosen to force all subscribers into pricing they don't want and service they really don't need. I can say this though, at least it isn't Comcast. All I want is a regular price that is reasonable, but it seems no cable company wants to be competitive. Perhaps instead of the aggressive first-year promos Charter should focus on retention and offer everyone a better regular price.

member for 43 days, 3 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

dataice

4 edits

It could be worse

It could be worse. Charter is charging me $44.99 a month ($39.99 plus another $5 for having their wireless router) for 8/1 standalone. They refuse to upgrade our system here so we can get at least 30/4. I'd kill for 60/4. Not all of Charter's footprint can get those amazing speeds.

I went down to the local office last week to inquire about if/when we would see a speed upgrade. A tech who was coming back from his last job said, I wouldn't hold your breath. Those were his exact words. He said I don't see that happening in the next 24 months for this system, if not longer. In other words, be happy that you're getting 8/1.

I did however ask them while I was there what I will be paying after my one year promo ends next April. The lady at the front desk said the regular standalone price for HSI is $54.99 not including the wireless router fee. I asked her if I could buy my own router to save the monthly fee. She said you can, but we will still charge you the $5 fee.

According to her that covers not only the router, but also for having WiFi. This is assuming she gave me accurate information. Are you being charged for having a wireless network, assuming you have one? They are the only provider I know of that charges a fee just for having a wireless network in your home. I felt like saying, will that fee also include a reach around while I am bent over? Unreal, the arrogance of this company. I will probably drop it after my promo is up next April. I can't justify paying $60 a month for 8/1. However, I would pay that for 60/4 if Charter provided it for my area . Heck, I'd probably pay that if I could get 30/4. At this point, I'd be happy to get that!

I agree, they should have more flexible plans for those that don't require a 60/4 connection. Like my 66 year old father, who only checks his e-mail, pays his bills online, and does light browsing. But, sadly, this is what passes for competition in this country.

Re: It could be worse

that is incorrect about the wifi router. if you buy your own to use there is no $5 fee. I have a wireless router that i own and there is no $5 fee. the only time there would be a $5 fee for wifi is if you are renting their equipment. if they try to tell you otherwise as if there is some "wifi service" or something at that office you went to (which i have never heard of in regards to using your own router) then just tell them you want it removed and take the rented router back and hook up your own anyway. they have no reason to bill you for anything other than the connection itself at that point.

also that is absolutely absurd that they are charging you the same price for 8/1. can you not get DSL or something? if i had to guess the cable system you are in is going to be sold to comcast if the TWC-comcast deal goes through. i believe all the systems that have been upgraded to 60/4 are staying charter and the ones that aren't are not being upgraded/possibly being sold.

Re: It could be worse

Thanks for the info. As usual I was given inaccurate information. I currently have a DSL connection with Verizon, but it's only 3 Mbps. I kept it until I saw how bad things would be with Charter. I wanted a faster connection. But I've found especially in the evening hours between 5-11 pm, my Charter service can drop below 2 Mbps. And on a few occasions has dropped below 1 Mbps.

I'll probably drop Charter. A faster connection doesn't mean squat if it's not dependable when you need it. I asked about getting a cheaper price for the internet, since I'm only getting 8/1 on a 30/4 tier, and the local office smirked and said, you're getting a promo rate as it is. I said what about next year when it ends? I just got a blank stare. My only hope now is that Charter swaps us with Comcast. Maybe then, Comcast will perform the needed upgrades to our system.

Re: It could be worse

did you get crazy ping time variances too? like sometimes it'd be good like 30ms and then other times as high as 200ms?

also since you have verizon DSL have you checked into frontier/centurylink or any other resellers? they might be cheaper and possibly have a CO closer to you = higher speeds.

4 edits

Re: It could be worse

Oh, yes. During peak hours in the evening, my pings average 200+ms. In my apartment building 15 of the 24 units in the building subscribes to Charter HSI. Each apartment building in the complex is on a dedicated node. It's absurd that my connection drops below 2 Mbps, if a handful of my neighbors are maxing out their connections. Last night while trying to watch Orange is the New Black on Netflix, it was buffering so bad it was unwatchable. And I have my Netflix video settings on medium SD quality. I had to switch my Apple TV over to my DSL connection so I could watch the show.

I've checked into resellers, and couldn't get an order to go through because my central office (we only have one serving our zip code) has been full since 2010, and with a voice line being required now, since Verizon killed dry loop, the reseller contacts me and said Verizon killed the order. My line supports up to 10 Mbps but Verizon has all lines from my central office capped at 3 Mbps, even if you live right next door to the central office.

If you have a higher speed, you are grandfathered in, but if you make any changes to your account whatsoever, like dropping back voice service to the minimum economy package, like I did, they will drop you back to 3 Mbps. I had 10 Mbps for over a year until I made a change to my account. I was told twice by the rep at Verizon that I would stay at 10 Mbps. That was a big fat lie.

If I had dropped my DSL line when I went to Charter this past April, I wouldn't have been able to get my DSL back. Once you drop out of the system, they won't let you back in. Verizon isn't taking on any new customers here for DSL, just voice services. Obviously they have no plans to upgrade POTS/DSL to add more capacity.

Jeff Cali

@24.205.138.x

FCC Complain Procedure

Go to the FCC.gov website and click on complaint. My complaint was that I had been quoted $44.95 when I asked about DOWNGRADING because I was not interested in paying anything over 50 bucks a month. The representative I talked to said it was available to me, but she could not get it to go into the system until they had received my payment on my last bill. Whatever, the bill posted and I called back to get the new rate. They refused it, and I let them know what had occurred prior. No dice, they said. $54.99 was the new price. I let them know I would be filing an FCC complaint against them and thanked them for their time. I did and I got the lowest quoted rate for 6 months. Charter called me within two days of my complaint. They were VERY cooperative, so I guess they take these complaints seriously. Lay out the sequence of events in your complaint in as much useful detail as you can. I didn't even bargain with them over it, I just said I only wanted what I had been promised.

Re: FCC Complain Procedure

I may do just that. I am sick of the lies this company tells. Honesly though since thankfully I do have other options I think I'd rather just not give charter any more money. I am tired of how secretive they are with pricing and unhelpful they are. All they want to do is sell triple plays. I remember hearing once that their goal was to get every customer to pay a minimum of $60 a month to them regardless of services subscribed to, and honestly I believe it, especially after hearing what's going on with "dataice".

Review by dot854jc See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Bradley,TN
Good "Fantastic Service! A different world from a few years ago!"
Bad "I didn't switch sooner."
Overall "The nations fastest internet "

I live next to Chattanooga. Home of literally gigabit internet to your home. While Charter doesn't compare to that they have had great internet so far.

Comments:
zed260
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN

cool

another person near where i live what part of bradley near ladd springs here

Review by CubFanHere See Profile

• Location: Myrtle Creek,Douglas,OR
Good "Prompt install and service"
Bad "The speeds are pathetic. I wouldn't even consider them high speed broadband"
Overall "The speeds are not as advertised, not even close, but we have no other choice unfortunately."

I've worked in the cable broadband business in the past, so I'm very familiar with the network architecture of a DOCSIS cable modem system. I worked in the Head End of a major cable company as a CMTS engineer, so I'm quite familiar with what a cable modem can and cannot do. Charter Communications in Myrtle Creek, OR has to have the absolute worst service I've ever experienced. I've tested on multiple PC's, my phone, and a Mac, and the result is the same: pathetic downstream speeds of 10 Mbps MAX (usually a 5 to 6 Mbps range) and upstream speeds that are normal around 5 Mbps. This is at my parents house. Just 15 miles up the road I have the same service and enjoy 35 to 38 Mbps downstream speeds and the same 4 to 5 Mbps upstream speed. We've had 3 technician visits in the first 3 weeks since install, and Charter can't tell what is wrong. Finally they just admitted that their network needs to be upgraded. I can tell you what is wrong - you don't have enough fiber bandwidth to the node and your bandwidth is being saturated by 5 to 10 people every day who are downloading nonstop, all day long. Fix this Charter. This is a joke.

IP: 71.80.202.203

Last Result:

Download Speed: 6.2 Mbps (0.77 MB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 4.43 Mbps (0.55 MB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 9 ms

Jitter: 4 ms

5/26/2014 2:20:55 PM

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage
·Cox HSI

Discount!!!

Since Charter "finally admitted that their network needs to be upgraded", I would ask for a discount in price for "putting up with a network that needs to be upgraded in order for it to work properly".

thatguythere

@108.47.99.x

So

I'll be that guy... but Charter has atleast 10GigE to all their headends, which the nodes feed in to. If you were a cable tech you'd know this. 5 - 10 people at 30mbit will not saturate this. It's probably an ingress issue with bad quality wiring in someone's house, or a drop that's worn through somewhere on that particular node. If you're as close as you say you're fed out of the same headend, so bandwidth isn't the issue, unless the node itself is saturated. But checking the population for Myrtle Creek, OR (less than 4k), I doubt that's the issue.

chartersux

@70.193.75.x

Charter THE WORST INTERNET AND CABLE SERVICE PERIOD STAY AWAY!!

Charter is garbage i bet the taliban has better serivce in a cave in afginistan....SLOW SLOW SLOW and then they lost my payment check and cut my internet and cable off with out even telling me then refused to reconnect it till they got the payment THEY LOST!!!!! Their customer service is a joke wost company ive ever dealt with EVER. PERIOD. I couldnt finish my research paper on time for school becuase they cut my internet off the night before it was due i called found out what happened but they didnt care....they are worthless and imoral and lazy...

thatguythere

@108.13.189.x

Re: Charter THE WORST INTERNET AND CABLE SERVICE PERIOD STAY AWAY!!

You must have been really behind or had a history of missing payments. I've missed two months and just made sure to call in and let them know beforehand. No issues. As for your taliban comment, that is uncalled for, what kind of person thinks that something like that is a good comparison?
join:2012-06-11

Re: Charter THE WORST INTERNET AND CABLE SERVICE PERIOD STAY AWAY!!

Well for one thing Charter tells you to take it or leave it when it comes to choices in internet speed tiers (ONE), you either pay
57.99/mo for service many folks don't want or need, or you don't have their service.

Review by nunya See Profile

• Location: O Fallon,Saint Charles,MO
Good "Good speeds. Not much else."
Bad "Foreign Tech / Cust. service - hard to understand, install fee"
Overall "Charters new management is wrecking the company."

·surpasshosting
I ordered the 10/1 package bundled with video services. This is not my first dance with Charter. We've had a very tumultuous relationship for the last 18 years (I actually used to work there many, many moons ago). I requested a "Pole Only" installation this time due to various quality problems with installs in the past.

I supplied my own Motorola SB6120 rather than rent. When I called to get the modem activated, I had a very difficult time understanding the fellow on the other end. He kept wanting to schedule a tech appointment. I finally got everything going via Charters online services.

The speeds I'm receiving are near +/- the advertised speeds. Ping times seem to be a little longer than my DSL service, but shouldn't affect VoIP. This is day 1, so I will update later.

***

Update: I got my first bill and it wasn't as described on the phone. I was also told by other members that 10/1 is actually 10/2 now. So I posted in the "Charter Direct" forum (just regarding the speed) and received an almost instant response. It looks like everything is squared away. I bumped my "Tech support" rating up to *3* from a *1* based solely on the Charter support made available through this site.

***

Update: 3/7/11

It was about the time for my bill to magically increase after a one year term. I was able to post on Charter Direct here on BBR and get fixed back to a similar price point. No calling and waiting on hold to reach the right department. No trying to decipher foreign tech support.

For Charter having this tool available on BBR, I have raised my "tech support" rating.

Update 12/06/11

Got an upload increase. Speeds are good. I've had 2 major outages this year that were due to hardware failures in the OSP, one lasting 24 hours. The only major complaint I have with Charter at this time is their usage caps.

10/06/12

Earlier this year, I canceled the TV portion of the service and upgraded to 100/5 for $60/mo. I'm happy with the service at this price. The only reason I went with the 100/5 package is because of the usage caps. Otherwise 30 would have been fine for me. I'm very disappointed in Charters new pricing system and modem policy (I own my own modem and like it that way). From what I can gather, My bill will be increasing to around $100 / mo. when my term expires. I also understand that there is no longer any pricing flexibility for existing customers, so it looks like I'll have to consider different options in the near future.

I have had several outages since my last update. Some only lasting minutes, others lasting hours. One was caused by a contract installer working on the neighbors house.

Update 3/16/13

Last month, Charter arbitrarily raised my bill 1/2 way through our agreement. I decided to downgrade to the 30/4 plan. It's quite clear that Charter is essentially "chasing" customers off of the 100/5 plan by any means they see fit to use. I'm very disappointed in the ways Charter has changed since coming under new management.

I'm taking away stars for connection reliability, tech support, and value. Since Charter decided to eradicate all forms of tech support except call-in, they don't deserve a decent rating. The service is losing value as well.

Update 5/13/14

Taking away a star for value since Charter is now charging $55 for basic internet service. They've done nothing to try and add value to the service in exchange for across the board price increases.

member for 13.5 years, 6009 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by lizaphile See Profile

• Location: Sheboygan,Sheboygan,WI
Good "Very few problems beyond what Charter has at their end"
Bad "However, when there is a problem, it takes 2-3 calls by techs to resolve, and forcing premium channel bundling is annoying"
Overall "All in all, I've had them for 14 yrs TV/10 yrs internet and not many problems to speak of"

I've had Charter for twelve years and really have had no problems that require major servicing in all these years. My internet speed (Plus/30 meg) usually stays right in the range I need it to, while my cable TV service works well; it used to take weeks to get the schedule right in the guide after a channel change, for instance, where now two days is the longest for them to work out. The staff at the local office has been nice and I find most of the phone techs to be cooperative.

The only problem I usually suffer with is when I have to get a tech out. Three years ago in 2008 I had a nightmare of a month where I had to deal with my modem service going out 3-5 times a day, which then knocked my Charter Telephone service off. I consider myself experienced enough to be a good home network admin, and dealing with some of the phone people was frustrating as they kept blaming the router or another factor (like my modem, a Surfboard 5100). Once I was able to get a tech out here (outsourced, sadly, not one of my regular guys who knows my wiring), he didn't do much more than switch out some splitters and blame electrical bleeding for my problems. Two hours after I get booted, and after being treated awful by two male phone techs, I had much better luck with a nice woman who suggested it was my cable modem that was booting. So it was off to Target to buy a new Linksys CM-100, and thankfully when I provisioned it, another nice woman gave me a $20 credit for my problems.

The modem didn't solve my problems, so after stopping at the office one afternoon to make a service appointment, I got a tech for a Sunday appointment (a great thing Charter Wisconsin added around that time) who knew what the problem was after checking the lines inside. He went out to the pole, checked some things, and told me I needed a new line from the alley to the box on the house. In the meantime he fixed my existing line and I haven't been booted since then; my only outages are during the worst of weather and the regular overnight monthly maintenance windows.

Formerly I went with two Moxi DVRs, one regular DCB and one HD DCB for the TV side until late 2010, when I switched out the Moxis with one TiVo Premiere XL purchased on my own and a leased DCX3400 due to how badly Moxis worked with SDV (and how they were like a Hoover on the power bill; killing the Moxis saved me $15 a month right off the bat); this setup has worked well, along with the existing HD DCB and regular DCB I kept. I also went into a two-year contract with Charter with 18 meg HSI/phone/HBO/Showtime/Starz around the same time to seal my price for awhile. I renegotiated after that in October 2012 to near the same price without a contract, but the addition of Epix and a switch to a Linksys DOCSIS 3.0 modem provided by Charter due to their rental-required rules which is pretty much to me the CM-100 but able to get 3.0 and IPv6. A move of homes in 2012 was pretty much flawlessly performed by Charter; since I knew my stuff and all the equipment besides a new line to the computer was there, I hardly had to do anything there.

In 2014 I switched out the HD DCB supplying my computer with an HDHomeRun Prime ahead of Charter's all-digital switchover; besides some hassle between us getting a CableCard to my house (a shipped CableCard was stuck in the warehouse forever and I finally just had a tech come over after a self-install with a card picked up at the office failed) and the expected non-support, it worked out very well. I am not happy though that the new billing doesn't allow me to choose premiums ala carte, so if not for some phone negotiation I'd still be subscribed to Starz and Epix despite their lousy films.

Telephone service is fine; I barely think about it at all. It just works and Charter has done a great job with their implementation. No slamming or cramming issues and pretty good blocks and tools to make sure their $40 a month charge for it remains at that price.

Despite that, the new all-digital system will give me all the HD channels I need. The only thing that concerns me is internet caps, but since I average around 180GB a month I haven't hit their 250GB wall yet, so hopefully they open it up a little as video becomes more prevalent. I'm also in an area where U-Verse is available, but not to my home, so sticking with Charter for the time being.

Comments:

Review by zed260 See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Bradley,TN
Good "ok speed good customer service"
Bad "caps"
Overall "better then uverse"

good speeds and good tv service bad caps

switched to charter bissines due to caps

update nothings changed

member for 2.7 years, 1263 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

oneoone

join:2010-01-20
Lagrange, GA

No Caps

Caps are not enforced in any way. You upgraded to business for no reason.
zed260
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN

Re: No Caps

said by oneoone:

Caps are not enforced in any way. You upgraded to business for no reason.

well i also like the better support i get like getting a tech out within 2 hours (turns out someone was stealing cable causing noise)

Review by blomywhistle See Profile

• Location: Worcester,Worcester,MA
Good "Install was fine, modem provided"
Bad "Horrible service. Slow all the time; barely usable at peak times"
Overall "Never met anyone happy with Charter."

Installation was good. Speeds can be ridiculously slow, and are never consistent. I believe Charter claims something like "up to 30Mb downstream" - it's hard to know what I'm getting at this point since it's not stated on my account or bill. Most times I am at about 7Mb, but Friday and Saturday evening speed tests leave me praying for a stable 1Mb.

Bottom line is that Charter offers speeds of "up to" whatever imaginary number they think sounds cute for the price they are charging.

Comments:
baja7475

join:2009-06-16
Atascadero, CA

Please to meet you.

Hi my name is Geoff. Now you have met somebody happy with Charter
jesselperry
join:2014-04-18
Boone, NC

Re: Please to meet you.

Me too, more than happy. Great price & speed & reliability. Probably an area thing for reviewer.

Review by Longview See Profile

• Location: Waupun,Dodge,WI
Good "The install was very quick."
Bad "Pray that you don't have to deal with support."
Overall "I will be leaving them soon."

»speedtest.ookla.com/result/2560318829.png

This is a review of Charter's TV/Internet(15Mbps) package. Our HD television becomes pixelated every once in awhile. It has gotten worse in the last 3 months. The internet was solid for the whole two years until the last week. Now my speeds have dropped to what I have posted above. After chatting with tech support, I restarted my modem and router. No change in speeds. The next tech told me I needed to get a new modem(which they would ship for free) and I would have to upgrade to 30Mbps for an extra $2/month. I agreed to that. I was then called by Charter about an hour later and told that I would be receiving a cancellation fee as my contract had not run out. They would wave the fee if I would switch to a new package, which would have been approximately $50 more per month. My contract runs out in 16 days. I told them to cancel the new modem and new package. I tried unplugging my modem for 10 minutes. After repowering and power cycling my router, I suddenly had 33Mbps down/3Mbps up. This lasted for about an hour. Now my speeds are back to what I got in the test above.

Charter's service is very good, until something goes wrong. I will be saying goodbye to Charter in 16 days.

Comments:
B4Knight
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

Charter Review

Sorry to hear that you've had a bad experience with Charter lately. Have you had any technicians actually come out and check on things?

I've been a HSI customer only for over 2 years now and I've had very few problems during that time. Customer support has been quite good and the techs that I've had knew what they were doing and were able to answer just about any questions I had. I do wish that Charter hadn't consolidated their speed tiers, as it makes it unappealing for those on a tighter budget. However in spite of that I personally get the speeds I pay for at virtually any time of day or night. Looking forward to the speed increase later on this year even though the upload is staying the same. Once they complete the all digital transition though there is no excuse not to increase upload speeds.

Its unfortunate that you feel the need to leave, best of luck with whoever you choose to be your next provider

join:2014-01-06

Re: Charter Review

I had Charter internet for the past several years and generally have been satisfied with it, the only negative was
more latency than I would have expected around 80ms on average which despite having 25 Mbps it seemed quite a bit slower than that. Phone CSRs were polite, fairly well trained....

The biggest flaw is with the ridiculous single speed tier and a whopping price too. No other choices. Stupid and customer
UNfriendly in the biggest way. Not all customers can afford such a luxury of 30-60 Mbps and just as many have no need for those speeds at all and certainly do not want to pay for something they will never use. That is the fault of
arrogant CEO Tom Rutledge and his posse of wealthy clowns staffing the posh executives offices in one of the most wealthy locations in the USA, Stamford CT.

I was more than satisfied with my original Internet Lite
tier package at 1-3 Mbps at 19$-25$/mo. But I was led off that tier with a special promo and told I could return to that package when the promo expired, but that next year the Internet Lite tier was GONE!

Thanks Tom Rutledge.
B4Knight
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

Re: Charter Review

I can see where you are coming from. I can see Charter not allowing customer owned modems anymore to lessen truck rolls possibly but consolidating into 2 speed tiers is pretty stupid. If anything they should have a 15/2 tier or lower, 30/5, 60/8 or 60/10, and for those who can afford it 120/15 or 120/20. 15/2 tier should be priced at $25-28/month everyday price not promo. I think it's more of bragging rights for Charter than anything else

Review by toyboy1949 See Profile

• Location: United State
Bad "Just terminated service after over fifteen years. They charged me nor service call that they told me I needed was not."

Had business internet and telephone service for over ten years through Charter at last location. After hard freeze and pipe bursting had a remodel of the office and when modems were reconnected, internet was not working. Customer Service Rep was diligent and polite but was unable to resolve the problem externally after trying for nearly an hour. He said the equipment showed it was connected but was not reaching the internet. A serviceman would need to come in probably to replace their modem. It was a Saturday and they said they would try to send someone by ASAP. Serviceman came after an hour and system problem was no longer evidenced. I had good connectivity. Whatever they did remotely had worked. I was not told there would be any charge and understood that business service included service calls as well as priority service. Got my next bill and there was $115 service charge on the bill. I put in a call to change to a new provider (My local non profit Utility). As soon as they installed new service, I returned my modems to Charter where representative said she was logging it in and my service was cancelled. I called customer service about the service charge and to get my final bill amount. One hour on hold then I was told that person at Charter office who took back the equipment had not and could not have cancelled my service but did log in my return. I was bumped to another service rep who the service charge was a mistake and he would remove it. Would I reconnect. I said no but I would tell others I was treated fairly and service was OK when I had it. Then he told he it was too late and he could not remove the service charge even though this charge was on my current bill and I had not yet received another bill. Pitiful Manipulative Practices Continue.