Charter page on DSLReports

Review by bz88kt4 See Profile

• Location: Bozeman,Gallatin,MT
Good "Speed during non peak hours. "
Bad "Monopoly. Expensive/Rate Hikes. Peak hours severe slowdown."
Overall "No choice in the matter."

For a long time, Optimum was 100% solid and provided a wonderful service for a reasonable price. Now Optimum West is owned by Charter. While it seemed better at first, it turned out not so great. The rates have raised. I used to be able to get 30$ a month internet. Now with charter internet starts at 65$. However, the speeds have increased from 30mbps to 60mbps. However during peak times(when I actually can use the internet due to having to work and sleep) speeds are nowhere near advertised as of late. I have been routinely measuring 4-10mbps to outside the state.

However what choice do I have? DSL at 12mbps. During peak times I might as well just switch. It appears that anytime between 6-12pm I'm now stuck down at these slower speeds. I have only noticed this in the past 1 month. For the past 3 years with Optimum and now recently Charter the speeds were always 100%. Something has happened just recently and I believe it has something to due with both Charter's acquisition and possibly the recent speed increase from 30mbps to 60mpbs.

The speeds to the most local speedtest always shows 100% (the one the tech runs upon install). However speed testing to other sites outside the state or using other services during peak times, the speeds is nowhere near advertised. I haven't been gaming recently, but I believe the ping times suffer as well.

Support tells me that the only speedtest that matters is the local one. All other services and sites outside that single speed test are out of their control. However somehow Optimum got it right for years.

Comments:
cqarlo932

join:2010-07-06

No choice in the matter.

When Charter bought our local HSI provider our speed dropped 70% all the time,they are the only game in town. No competition,no speed,no service and high prices.
political_i

join:2013-11-12

$65/month?

Do you have someone in your household to go back on promotion?

Also what part of town are you in? Signal levels? Node congestion is possible and handoffs could be congested too.

Re: $65/month?

said by political_i:

Do you have someone in your household to go back on promotion?

I live close to town and cannot tell you where or what state as I have tried to get Frontier DSL to come to our area. They know me and others and we would like to keep our internet connection as we have no choice. Signal levels are normal and no promotions offered. No competition why should they.

ripdog

@rr.com

Your wasting your time

As a former charter employee I know for a fact that the first order of business in a new market is to set the market to about 60-70% oversold. What I mean by this is charter only makes enough bandwidth available for about 30% of their customers total "quoted bandwidth". That is why you see slow speeds at peak time, and always will unless other people decide to not get online. It saves them money by not having to have the extra bandwidth eat into their cost and hurt the bottom line. The recent comcast/timewarner merger has people talking about charter coming into my local area, it is something we are fighting to our last breath. Charters service is subpar by design, it isn't an accident.
BlakePaulson

join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN
·T-Mobile US

Re: Your wasting your time

It all depends on your market. I'm not defending charter (trust me, look up my posts, I gripe about them alot!) but where I'm at we get internet speeds of 60/4 24/7 and rarely if ever have an outage. I used 5.4TB's of bandwidth last month doing some cloud backup (4.5TB's of that was inbound) and they didn't say a peep. I pay $39.99 for internet and $39.99 for TV (plus $2 for a cable card and about $10 a month in taxes and fees.) No one else can touch that price! TV has worked great by not using charter's DVR's. Their channels come in great and I've been extremely happy.

The key to charter is to call in and threaten to cancel to get the $39.99 promo price for a year. If one person won't do it, call in again. Keep calling until someone drops it to $39.99... they will, but you'll end up spending at least 2 hours of your time (definitely worth it to save hundreds of dollars per year!)

Re: Your wasting your time

You can call Charter many many times, we did and threaten to cancel the service and they will tell you to go ahead and cancel.
They know you have no choice and want the internet and have you over the barrel. Since Frontier has no interest we are trying raise money to start a wireless internet co-op since they own all the cable. A small town 127 miles from us did this and they are thriving.

Review by nunya See Profile

• Location: O Fallon,Saint Charles,MO
Good "Good speeds. Not much else."
Bad "Foreign Tech / Cust. service - hard to understand, install fee, expensive"
Overall "Charter's new management is wrecking the company."

I ordered the 10/1 package bundled with video services. This is not my first dance with Charter. We've had a very tumultuous relationship for the last 18 years (I actually used to work there many, many moons ago). I requested a "Pole Only" installation this time due to various quality problems with installs in the past.

I supplied my own Motorola SB6120 rather than rent. When I called to get the modem activated, I had a very difficult time understanding the fellow on the other end. He kept wanting to schedule a tech appointment. I finally got everything going via Charters online services.

The speeds I'm receiving are near +/- the advertised speeds. Ping times seem to be a little longer than my DSL service, but shouldn't affect VoIP. This is day 1, so I will update later.

***

Update: I got my first bill and it wasn't as described on the phone. I was also told by other members that 10/1 is actually 10/2 now. So I posted in the "Charter Direct" forum (just regarding the speed) and received an almost instant response. It looks like everything is squared away. I bumped my "Tech support" rating up to *3* from a *1* based solely on the Charter support made available through this site.

***

Update: 3/7/11

It was about the time for my bill to magically increase after a one year term. I was able to post on Charter Direct here on BBR and get fixed back to a similar price point. No calling and waiting on hold to reach the right department. No trying to decipher foreign tech support.

For Charter having this tool available on BBR, I have raised my "tech support" rating.

Update 12/06/11

Got an upload increase. Speeds are good. I've had 2 major outages this year that were due to hardware failures in the OSP, one lasting 24 hours. The only major complaint I have with Charter at this time is their usage caps.

10/06/12

Earlier this year, I canceled the TV portion of the service and upgraded to 100/5 for $60/mo. The only reason I went with the 100/5 package is because of the usage caps. Otherwise 30 would have been fine for me. I'm very disappointed in Charters new pricing system and modem policy (I own my own modem and like it that way). From what I can gather, My bill will be increasing to around $100 / mo. when my term expires. I also understand that there is no longer any pricing flexibility for existing customers, so it looks like I'll have to consider different options in the near future.

I have had several outages since my last update. Some only lasting minutes, others lasting hours. One was caused by a contract installer working on the neighbors house.

Update 3/16/13

Last month, Charter arbitrarily raised my bill 1/2 way through our agreement. I decided to downgrade to the 30/4 plan. It's quite clear that Charter is essentially "chasing" customers off of the 100/5 plan by any means they see fit to use. I'm very disappointed in the ways Charter has changed since coming under new management.

I'm taking away stars for connection reliability, tech support, and value. Since Charter decided to eradicate all forms of tech support except call-in, they don't deserve a decent rating. The service is losing value as well.

Update 5/13/14

Taking away a star for value since Charter is now charging $55 for basic internet service. They've done nothing to try and add value to the service in exchange for across the board price increases.

Update 12/27/14

Yet another price increase from Charter. It seems like semi-annual price increases are the norm for this company. Now at $60 / month, a 20% price increase in less than a year.

Update 02/12/15

Charter internet service has peen plagued with local outages recently. It seems to be something up the road at the MUX. I always see them there when it goes down. I had a 6 hour outage earlier this week and a 1 hour outage last night. For $60, their reliability should be much better.

member for 14.1 years, 6370 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

bruisingfour

@68.184.244.x

you didn't mention...

Your price will only increase for one of two reasons, you agree to a plan change, or your contract states a price increase which happens at the 12 & 24 month marks. You also didn't mention that between May and Decembers post where you talk about a 20% price increase that your internet went from 30Mbps d/l (from your post) to a 100 Mbps d/l (from your speed test). Seems likecyou got some value for the price increase.

techie02

@71.11.1.x

Re: you didn't mention...

That is not correct. There was an annual price hike for internet services for 2015. So if he wasn't on a promo then yes his price did increase.

cork1958
Cork
join:2000-02-26
After being with Charter for 17+ years, I just about know when the annual increase is coming before ever getting any letter or anything.

It's a given that it's coming every year though.

Can't wait for them to start charging for modem's again and start adding the below the line charges like there's no tomorrow. You KNOW that's coming also!
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonk ··· amonkey/

Farmington, MO

Re: you didn't mention...

I have business his fir 5 years and have 6 drops they always remain at 65 for 100/5 and a extra 20 for 8 block ips, though they told me any new ip blocks are 25$ now so no business don't change it must be something in the residential contracts, I always get English ppl when I call and fixed with in a hour in stl market in affton its extremely stable

Review by theviperjohn See Profile

• Location: Great Falls,Cascade,MT
Good "Solid connection when you're online after midnight to 5pm"
Bad "You can't play games during peak hours since ping skyrockets and speeds plumit do to over congestion."
Overall "Not getting what I am paying for- a usable internet 24/7."

Tech support has no idea why your connection is slow and will say that no other people in your area are having issues... just from talking to people here and neighbors this is not true. Escalate the problem? they'll give you someone's email who will say there aren't any issues.... Technician out to your home? It's not his problem, your lag is outside charter's network....

member for 38 days, 22 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Force440

Charter GJ, C.O. to Charter Billings,MT

All of the routers shown belong to Charter.

Re: Charter GJ, C.O. to Charter Billings,MT

it is not in charter its the peering point at bresnan I mean it's clearly in the picture of the incoming trace route

Re: Charter GJ, C.O. to Charter Billings,MT

hellogovna

@charter.com

hmm

charter only charges for 30 mbps they dont charge for 60, so if your pulling at least 80% of your speed they its looking good.. if you havent had a tech out then make sure you try that route because tech support can only do so much over the phone but usually the techs can check more when their out at least in my area they are great. good luck

Re: hmm

My connection speed is 60Mb/s and ping is 60 during the day.

3 edits

Charter GJ, C.O. to Charter Casper,WY 7:00pm - 8:00PM

www.bresnan.net is now Charter

Just another example: The Lag that Charter Mountain Customers our experiencing in the evenings starts off on their network.
phoenixrain

join:2015-01-13
Ronan, MT

Re: Charter GJ, C.O. to Charter Casper,WY 7:00pm - 8:00PM

im here in montana as well, Polson area. Same problem here ive complained many times and most they have done is modem swap. last time they came i showed them a graph of the latency spikes every single night.. he said hed tell his supervisor. All was still the same until last night.... no ping spike!!! Did they fix something?

Just to clarify:
Charter purchased Optimum "West" (formerly Bresnan Online) Bresnan Online no longer exist. All bresnan.net shown on the charts belong to Charter... The DNS names haven't been changed or updated yet.
theviperjohn

join:2015-01-21
Great Falls, MT
·Charter
you know I noticed that, that was thursday night right? there was a slight spike here but nowhere near it normally is, friday night was absolutely awful though. I think it may have had something to do w/ my ticket open with the BBB, we'll see on monday!
phoenixrain

join:2015-01-13
Ronan, MT

progress here »gyazo.com/b288a2aaba84c4dc85da61 ··· 053da329

Farmington, MO
ask to speak to the liaison team

Review by jims2321 See Profile

• Location: Suwanee,Gwinnett,GA
Good "not AT&T"
Bad "not reliable or cheap"
Overall "if you have no other choice."

Charter is back to cherry picking areas. If they think they can make a buck, the will skip sections of subdivisions to get to other areas.

Comments:
cqarlo932

join:2010-07-06

If you have no other choice.

Many of us have no other choice because Charter is the only game in town,most customers are unwilling to learn Internet technology and are told dialup speeds are high speed broadband. They pay $54.99 a month and do without food and medical for internet. No competition, no service, slow speed and high prices.

RENEE G

@sbcglobal.net

Poor customer service/money hounds

After only one year with Charter here in D'ville TX, I dropped Charter and refuse to look back. Tech support is non-existence, customer service - both phone and in person SUCKS, and speed is a joke! I dare you to switch to online payment - nightmarish...

Review by Force440 See Profile

• Location: Grand Junction,Mesa,CO
Good "Every Time I've had an issues they were out the next day!"
Bad "Speeds in evening are Very SLOW! drop from 65 megabit per second to 12 and lower Ping times go from 40 to 200+"
Overall "Charter is now our new cable provider in our area. Every thing was OK until the Spectrum upgrade"

11 Years with Cable in our area... We started with Bresnan 2004

1-10-15: We have phone, cable, internet bundle
Currently dealing with super slow internet and obnoxious ping times from roughly from 6pm to 11pm every evening...
It progressively got so bad that I finally called on 1-6-15 and they were out the next day 1-7-15... issue still unresolved and getting worse... but they are keeping me well informed so far... Problem seems to be growing in our area so I am not the only one but "one of the 1st to report it"... I hope it get resolved in the next couple of days... Or we will have to switch to another provider... UPDATE SOON!

1-20-15:
Charter Makes Front Page News Tuesday Jan 20, 2015 Grand Junction Colorado:
The Daily Sentinel

Politicians & public Blast Charter over recent services troubles
"I'm here today, asking you, demanding of you, that we get this fixed now."
Scott Mcinnis
Mesa County commissioner

Link to the news article is in the forum

member for 10.9 years, 497 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Dogg
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

slowness

Many areas have experienced issues during and after the upgrades. I had sporadic internet speeds for 2 - 3 weeks following the upgrade, but has since been rock steady. Hang in there, and good luck.
Google is your Friend

3 edits

Re: slowness

Thankyou so much for the info... it gives me hope... I stopped using my computer in the evenings... My blood pressure goes up starts to coincide with the ping times... Just scared it might start to coincide with the packet loss too Its so frustrating!

Re: slowness

When Charter bought our Mom and Pop ISP,our speeds went to 430kbs down and 245kbs up. When we complained,they said this is high speed internet and the price went up to $54.99 a month. We have no choice, they are the only game in town.

Review by kbuffman1 See Profile

• Location: Auburn,Bay,MI
Good "works good"
Bad "nothing"
Overall "good price for 2 yrs"

Everything works as it should.Zoom modem is the way to go

member for 12.9 years, 2892 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by KoukiMonster See Profile

• Location: Alhambra,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Fast connection when it works"
Bad "Constantly disconnects for a minute or two throughout the day and night"
Overall "Cheap but drops randomly and is very annoying. "

I recently moved to Alhambra, CA a week ago and had to choose between ATT Uverse 18Mbps and Charter 60Mbps. Charter was only $39.99 plus a small installation fee of $29.99. They actually were able to come out the same day to install when I told them I needed to rush it which was awesome of them.

I opted for just their cable modem and was given an Arris TM1602 and was immediately getting 62Mbps. I'm directly wired in through my Asus RT-N56U and then to the supplied Arris modem. However, within a day I noticed the internet would just stop working for a minute or two and then come back on full speed. This problem would start to happen everyday no matter what time of day. I called tech support and they sent a technician out and said the signal was too strong so he spliced it. It seemed to help for a day then the problems started up again. When the internet works, its very fast and awesome but the intermittent loss of internet is extremely frustrating when I'm browsing or gaming or downloading or streaming. I'm not sure what else Charter can do.

I am currently using Google DNS as well.

Update 12/18/2014. I called Charter again and Tech Support Rep acknowledged he can see some type of in and out connectivity issue so he sent a field technician out to me today. Field Technician arrived and said he checked everything and said he didn't see any connectivity issues at all and said the Tech Support lied to me (I find this very unusual and unprofessional that Field Tech would say this). Field Tech replaced connections outside and said I'm the only one that is complaining in this area and that its probably my new laptop that is having some hardware issue...We'll see how the next week pans out.

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Signal

Sounds like you might be on the edge of your approved signal strength..

In order to see your signal strength. go to 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.100.0

»www.speedguide.net/faq/what-cabl ··· -good-78
KoukiMonster

join:2014-12-10

Re: Signal

Can't load any of those gateways.

Pisgah Rider

join:2004-04-08
Inman, SC

DNS Servers

Change your dns servers in your router. There are know issues with charters.
KoukiMonster

join:2014-12-10

Re: DNS Servers

I've been using Google DNS the entire time

Review by zed260 See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Bradley,TN
Good "ok speed good customer service"
Bad "caps"
Overall "better then uverse"

good speeds and good tv service bad caps

switched to charter bissines due to caps

update nothings changed

update novermeber 2014 still using charter bussnuss will stick with bussnuss even though caps are no more "better support"

member for 3.3 years, 1547 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

oneoone

join:2010-01-20
Lagrange, GA

No Caps

Caps are not enforced in any way. You upgraded to business for no reason.
zed260
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN

Re: No Caps

said by oneoone:

Caps are not enforced in any way. You upgraded to business for no reason.

well i also like the better support i get like getting a tech out within 2 hours (turns out someone was stealing cable causing noise)

Review by RC0101 See Profile

• Location: Lolo,Missoula,MT

Service is unreliable, constant disconnects, rude customer service. Unfortunately the only option in my area.

Comments:

Review by Ripperjack See Profile

• Location: High Ridge,Jefferson,MO
Good "You get internet... most of the time."
Bad "Unstable connection speeds, pricing is confusing, if you need tech support it really helps if you can speak Hindi or Punjabi."
Overall "It's usually faster than AT&T and in most cases it's your only choice if you live in mid-land USA... so, meh."

I used to work for Charter, as a consultant in their software division. If you think customer service is a shambles, try working for them in office.

The company runs on endless meetings, achieving nothing and they have more self imposed red tape you have to wade through, than the US government.

It's no surprise nothing ever gets done!