Charter page on DSLReports

Review by theviperjohn See Profile

• Location: Great Falls,Cascade,MT
Good "Solid connection when you're online after midnight to 5pm"
Bad "You can't play games during peak hours since ping skyrockets and speeds plumit do to over congestion."
Overall "Not getting what I am paying for- a usable internet 24/7. Waiting for Class action lawsuit."

Tech support has no idea why your connection is slow and no other people in your area are having issues! (complete lie). Escalate the problem? they'll only give you some supervisor's email who will say there aren't any issues! (another complete lie). Technician out to your home? It's not his problem, your lag is outside charter's network! (another complete lie).

They're lying and stealing our money. Period.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:
Force440

Charter GJ, C.O. to Charter Billings,MT

All of the routers shown belong to Charter.

hellogovna

@charter.com

hmm

charter only charges for 30 mbps they dont charge for 60, so if your pulling at least 80% of your speed they its looking good.. if you havent had a tech out then make sure you try that route because tech support can only do so much over the phone but usually the techs can check more when their out at least in my area they are great. good luck

Re: hmm

My connection speed is 60Mb/s and ping is 60 during the day.

Review by Force440 See Profile

• Location: Grand Junction,Mesa,CO
Good "Every Time I've had an issues they were out the next day!"
Bad "Speeds in evening are Very SLOW! drop from 65 megabit per second to 12 and lower Ping times go from 40 to 200+"
Overall "Charter is now our new cable provider in our area. Every thing was OK until the Spectrum upgrade"

11 Years with Cable in our area... We started with Bresnan 2004

1-10-15: We have phone, cable, internet bundle
Currently dealing with super slow internet and obnoxious ping times from roughly from 6pm to 11pm every evening...
It progressively got so bad that I finally called on 1-6-15 and they were out the next day 1-7-15... issue still unresolved and getting worse... but they are keeping me well informed so far... Problem seems to be growing in our area so I am not the only one but "one of the 1st to report it"... I hope it get resolved in the next couple of days... Or we will have to switch to another provider... UPDATE SOON!

1-20-15:
Charter Makes Front Page News Tuesday Jan 20, 2015 Grand Junction Colorado:
The Daily Sentinel

Politicians & public Blast Charter over recent services troubles
"I'm here today, asking you, demanding of you, that we get this fixed now."
Scott Mcinnis
Mesa County commissioner

Link to the news article is in the forum

Comments:

Dogg
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

slowness

Many areas have experienced issues during and after the upgrades. I had sporadic internet speeds for 2 - 3 weeks following the upgrade, but has since been rock steady. Hang in there, and good luck.
Google is your Friend

3 edits

Re: slowness

Thankyou so much for the info... it gives me hope... I stopped using my computer in the evenings... My blood pressure goes up starts to coincide with the ping times... Just scared it might start to coincide with the packet loss too Its so frustrating!
cqarlo932

join:2010-07-06

Re: slowness

When Charter bought our Mom and Pop ISP,our speeds went to 430kbs down and 245kbs up. When we complained,they said this is high speed internet and the price went up to $54.99 a month. We have no choice, they are the only game in town.

Review by kbuffman1 See Profile

• Location: Auburn,Bay,MI
Good "works good"
Bad "nothing"
Overall "good price for 2 yrs"

Everything works as it should.Zoom modem is the way to go

member for 12.8 years, 2847 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by nunya See Profile

• Location: O Fallon,Saint Charles,MO
Good "Good speeds. Not much else."
Bad "Foreign Tech / Cust. service - hard to understand, install fee, expensive"
Overall "Charter's new management is wrecking the company."

I ordered the 10/1 package bundled with video services. This is not my first dance with Charter. We've had a very tumultuous relationship for the last 18 years (I actually used to work there many, many moons ago). I requested a "Pole Only" installation this time due to various quality problems with installs in the past.

I supplied my own Motorola SB6120 rather than rent. When I called to get the modem activated, I had a very difficult time understanding the fellow on the other end. He kept wanting to schedule a tech appointment. I finally got everything going via Charters online services.

The speeds I'm receiving are near +/- the advertised speeds. Ping times seem to be a little longer than my DSL service, but shouldn't affect VoIP. This is day 1, so I will update later.

***

Update: I got my first bill and it wasn't as described on the phone. I was also told by other members that 10/1 is actually 10/2 now. So I posted in the "Charter Direct" forum (just regarding the speed) and received an almost instant response. It looks like everything is squared away. I bumped my "Tech support" rating up to *3* from a *1* based solely on the Charter support made available through this site.

***

Update: 3/7/11

It was about the time for my bill to magically increase after a one year term. I was able to post on Charter Direct here on BBR and get fixed back to a similar price point. No calling and waiting on hold to reach the right department. No trying to decipher foreign tech support.

For Charter having this tool available on BBR, I have raised my "tech support" rating.

Update 12/06/11

Got an upload increase. Speeds are good. I've had 2 major outages this year that were due to hardware failures in the OSP, one lasting 24 hours. The only major complaint I have with Charter at this time is their usage caps.

10/06/12

Earlier this year, I canceled the TV portion of the service and upgraded to 100/5 for $60/mo. The only reason I went with the 100/5 package is because of the usage caps. Otherwise 30 would have been fine for me. I'm very disappointed in Charters new pricing system and modem policy (I own my own modem and like it that way). From what I can gather, My bill will be increasing to around $100 / mo. when my term expires. I also understand that there is no longer any pricing flexibility for existing customers, so it looks like I'll have to consider different options in the near future.

I have had several outages since my last update. Some only lasting minutes, others lasting hours. One was caused by a contract installer working on the neighbors house.

Update 3/16/13

Last month, Charter arbitrarily raised my bill 1/2 way through our agreement. I decided to downgrade to the 30/4 plan. It's quite clear that Charter is essentially "chasing" customers off of the 100/5 plan by any means they see fit to use. I'm very disappointed in the ways Charter has changed since coming under new management.

I'm taking away stars for connection reliability, tech support, and value. Since Charter decided to eradicate all forms of tech support except call-in, they don't deserve a decent rating. The service is losing value as well.

Update 5/13/14

Taking away a star for value since Charter is now charging $55 for basic internet service. They've done nothing to try and add value to the service in exchange for across the board price increases.

Update 12/27/14

Yet another price increase from Charter. It seems like semi-annual price increases are the norm for this company. Now at $60 / month, a 20% price increase in less than a year.

member for 14.1 years, 6317 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

bruisingfour

@68.184.244.x

you didn't mention...

Your price will only increase for one of two reasons, you agree to a plan change, or your contract states a price increase which happens at the 12 & 24 month marks. You also didn't mention that between May and Decembers post where you talk about a 20% price increase that your internet went from 30Mbps d/l (from your post) to a 100 Mbps d/l (from your speed test). Seems likecyou got some value for the price increase.

techie02

@71.11.1.x

Re: you didn't mention...

That is not correct. There was an annual price hike for internet services for 2015. So if he wasn't on a promo then yes his price did increase.

cork1958
Cork
join:2000-02-26
After being with Charter for 17+ years, I just about know when the annual increase is coming before ever getting any letter or anything.

It's a given that it's coming every year though.

Can't wait for them to start charging for modem's again and start adding the below the line charges like there's no tomorrow. You KNOW that's coming also!
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Review by KoukiMonster See Profile

• Location: Alhambra,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Fast connection when it works"
Bad "Constantly disconnects for a minute or two throughout the day and night"
Overall "Cheap but drops randomly and is very annoying. "

I recently moved to Alhambra, CA a week ago and had to choose between ATT Uverse 18Mbps and Charter 60Mbps. Charter was only $39.99 plus a small installation fee of $29.99. They actually were able to come out the same day to install when I told them I needed to rush it which was awesome of them.

I opted for just their cable modem and was given an Arris TM1602 and was immediately getting 62Mbps. I'm directly wired in through my Asus RT-N56U and then to the supplied Arris modem. However, within a day I noticed the internet would just stop working for a minute or two and then come back on full speed. This problem would start to happen everyday no matter what time of day. I called tech support and they sent a technician out and said the signal was too strong so he spliced it. It seemed to help for a day then the problems started up again. When the internet works, its very fast and awesome but the intermittent loss of internet is extremely frustrating when I'm browsing or gaming or downloading or streaming. I'm not sure what else Charter can do.

I am currently using Google DNS as well.

Update 12/18/2014. I called Charter again and Tech Support Rep acknowledged he can see some type of in and out connectivity issue so he sent a field technician out to me today. Field Technician arrived and said he checked everything and said he didn't see any connectivity issues at all and said the Tech Support lied to me (I find this very unusual and unprofessional that Field Tech would say this). Field Tech replaced connections outside and said I'm the only one that is complaining in this area and that its probably my new laptop that is having some hardware issue...We'll see how the next week pans out.

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Signal

Sounds like you might be on the edge of your approved signal strength..

In order to see your signal strength. go to 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.100.0

»www.speedguide.net/faq/what-cabl···-good-78
KoukiMonster

join:2014-12-10

Re: Signal

Can't load any of those gateways.

Pisgah Rider

join:2004-04-08
Inman, SC

DNS Servers

Change your dns servers in your router. There are know issues with charters.
KoukiMonster

join:2014-12-10

Re: DNS Servers

I've been using Google DNS the entire time

Review by zed260 See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Bradley,TN
Good "ok speed good customer service"
Bad "caps"
Overall "better then uverse"

good speeds and good tv service bad caps

switched to charter bissines due to caps

update nothings changed

update novermeber 2014 still using charter bussnuss will stick with bussnuss even though caps are no more "better support"

Comments:

oneoone

join:2010-01-20
Lagrange, GA

No Caps

Caps are not enforced in any way. You upgraded to business for no reason.
zed260
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN

Re: No Caps

said by oneoone:

Caps are not enforced in any way. You upgraded to business for no reason.

well i also like the better support i get like getting a tech out within 2 hours (turns out someone was stealing cable causing noise)

Review by RC0101 See Profile

• Location: Lolo,Missoula,MT

Service is unreliable, constant disconnects, rude customer service. Unfortunately the only option in my area.

Comments:

Review by Ripperjack See Profile

• Location: High Ridge,Jefferson,MO
Good "You get internet... most of the time."
Bad "Unstable connection speeds, pricing is confusing, if you need tech support it really helps if you can speak Hindi or Punjabi."
Overall "It's usually faster than AT&T and in most cases it's your only choice if you live in mid-land USA... so, meh."

I used to work for Charter, as a consultant in their software division. If you think customer service is a shambles, try working for them in office.

The company runs on endless meetings, achieving nothing and they have more self imposed red tape you have to wade through, than the US government.

It's no surprise nothing ever gets done!

Comments:

Review by gzt7d8 See Profile

• Location: Swartz Creek,Genesee,MI
Good "Speeds are more consistent since we went to 8 channels in June 2014"
Bad "Raised my rates $15/month and NO EXPLANATION!"
Overall "Spectum raised some downloads (30Mb to 60Mb) at no cost, but those on Ultra plan got no lift, so bad value for the $$"

Update September 11, 2014
Our area went to 8 channel bonding in June 2014. Since that time, my speeds are much more consistent even during prime time hours. Consistently get 100Mb+ on the download now, even during prime time hours 7pm - 11pm, my speeds are 90Mb+.

The only annoyance there is now is the fact that move to digital, Spectrum, raised the speeds of those from 30Mb to 60Mb plans, but us on Ultra got no lift so we are not getting any bang for our buck right now, considering dropping down a plan to get a better value.

eom

Update April 14, 2013
Charter removed their social media support here at the site and the downward spiral continues. Now they've raised my rates by $15/month and I got NO explanation why. And did we get any improved service................NO.

I'll say one thing, the first service interruption or slow down, I'm going to make sure they see how pissed I am.

eom
Update December 16, 2012
Charter has removed their social media support at this site. A very sad day, in deed. I have had much success using this to resolve my problems, now the bean counters have shut it down and want you to call in and get frustrated out of your mind.

Service has been good but will take a turn as Charter positions itself. I'm on the Ultra 100 and have good speeds, usually in the 95%-105% range of the paid service. I don't have Television, just Internet. Connection is good so I haven't adjusted that.

I've reduced Tech Support not because of an experience, but because they removed coverage at this site.

Update November 18,2010
Channel Bonding has Arrived!! Oh and Ultra 60 came along too.

First night test

»www.speedtest.net/result/1036200191.png

Updated November 7, 2010
Charter has moved customers on the upper tier, here in Michigan to 25Mb/3Mb package. I continue to have pretty stable speed tests. I run a lot of my tests at SpeedTest.net, Since July 1, 2010 I've run 56 tests. My average download/upload is 34.22Mb/3.17Mb.

Best test
»www.speedtest.net/rank/1122211081.png

Earlier this year there was a lot of chatter about channel bonding being rolled out with Charter, but I haven't seen anything Michigan, yet. Closest I've seen any posts was in Wisconsin. Got my DOCSIS 3 modem, ready when ever you are Charter!

************************************************************
Updated April 19, 2009
Just upgraded to the 20MB/2MB package about a month ago. I was on the 10MB/1MB for some time and it was a very reliable package, for me. I consistently got 95% of the advertised speeds all the time, even prime time.

When I upgraded to the higher package my speeds were not as consistent as before. In prime time I'm lucky to hit 15MB on the download. Now reading other Charter posts on BBR forum I would have to consider myself lucky. I've read some real horror stories. Never the less, I'm disappointed in the results.

I'm not a heavy download user, but I still expect to get what I pay for. I've been checking my speeds daily since I upgraded. I've ran over 300 tests using Charter's speedtest and another off network speed site. When you breakdown the results, the morning time frame averaged 17.5MB, afternoon averaged 16.9MB, prime time averaged 15.9MB and late night averaged 19.5MB. The overall testing has averaged 17.1MB. People will say that you should have no complaints, but I wouldn't agree. I've only hit 20MB one time in my testing and that was in the 1AM time frame.

I not sure if contacting Charter would help, since there was so many others that have posted the same results. I'll tolerate it for now, but if it gets worst, I will contact tech support if I get no satisfaction I'll got back to a lower tier.

Lastly, I do want to give kudos to the techs that monitor the Charter Forum on BBR. They do attempt and have fixed problems that you have, and for that I'm grateful for their efforts.

Updated March 8, 2008
Late 2007 had issues with speeds. Prime time speeds were 20% - 40% of advertised tier. Actually got tech who monitors the Charter Forum to take notice of our problem. They were the reason it was corrected. Speeds have been very consistent for me other than the occasional problems.
I recognize that I pay a lot for the service 10Mb/1Mb, but it is not a packaged deal, so I have no room for compliant. I have to accept that and hope that the cost will drop over time. There is no competition where I live, so I don't have much leveraging capability with Charter.
I will consider the 16Mb service when it becomes available, because I love to surf at the speed of life.

Updated May 6, 2006
I've been disappointed with Charter this year. The speeds are not consistent anymore. I feel like I'm on a party line and all the life gets sucked out between 6pm and 11pm, daily. I'm paying for 5Mb/512Kb but it is not worth the value when you download speeds drop below 1Mb in the evening. It is just prime time that I see the huge slow downs, and I never had that problem prior to this year.

I've called Charter, but no change. Let's just admit that the infrastructure needs investment and they don't have the capital to get it done.

So I can complain, but I don't have other Broadband choices. Using direcpc was like a fast phone line connection, that is way over priced.

-------------------------

I live outside of any major city in mid-Michigan so my only broadband service available was DirecPC satellite service. I used this service for 21 months before Charter Pipeline was made available. Satellite worked well for me but it was a very inconsistent service.

Charter has been a good move for me. Installation went very well, and the service is consistent and my average speeds are very close to the service that I pay for. (1544/128) These speeds are all day long, I haven't had any experience with degradation of speeds. I hope it stays that way.

Of course, I can only speak for the service in my area. I have seen and read where the Charter service is less than desirable in other areas of the US. That was the reason why I tried a 3 month package with Charter before I committed.

My bad experience happened the first week after I had the service. I lost my service and after 4 field visits and 2 no shows it was fixed. Good thing I wasn't running a business.

At this time, my experience has been great. I'm very pleased with the service and hope continues.

Update June 8, 2003
I am coming up on 1 year and for the most part the Good and Bad points still apply. I feel "lucky" that the connection works as well as it does, but when I have a problem, it has taken Technical Support weeks to get the problem fixed. The last occurance probably could have been fixed in a week, but it took 7 weeks to fix. The Technical Support offices and Field Services do not work together in this area. I'm not sure why but Field Services keep sending the wrong Tech to fix the problem. It took way too long and was unexceptable service.

When it works, it works, but boy when it goes in the ditch it seems to take for ever to get fixed.

Update September 28, 2003
For Charter customers the recent upgrade to 2Mb down has been a hot topic of discussion. I was part of a stress test that Charter ran in the month of August for customers on the east side of Michigan. The network seems to handle the increase without issue. My speed tests continue to run in the 95% - 99% of advertised speeds. I also have had many speed tests exceed the 2Mb cap.

Upload continues to be a question of debate. But my conversations with local offices here indicate that 256Kbs will become the norm pretty soon.

For me, and I can't speak for others, Charter has been a good value. The sound bites above continue to summarize my experience. I suppose I probably land in the lucky category. Maybe yes, maybe no.

member for 13.5 years, 4935 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by megarock See Profile

• Location: Pacific,Franklin,MO
Good "Speeds are amazing when it works. "
Bad "Tech support is pretty much nonexistent now."
Overall "Business class my a$$. You should be ashamed selling it as such."

Charter's internet would likely work great if they weren't constantly trying to deny issues on their network. I had been a residential customer for years and dealt with constant issues that normally took weeks to get resolved when each time it ended up being a minor and easily fixable problem.

Instead you have to call, call, call and then call some more just to get some attention to the matter than another two to three weeks of calling to get it resolved. And lately a call to tech support can end you up on the phone for a half hour of horrible on and on sales pitches from the auto-attendant. To make matters worse I tried switching to business class for a more reliable connection and better tech support. For the price I pay I fully expected to get it. Needless to say a call puts you on hold for a very lengthy period, I get the same scripted "are you sure it's not YOU because there is nothing at all wrong with our stuff' crap I got from residential and the same slow, inept tech support that still takes a month and a half worth of calls to get something fixed.

Since I have no choice in another provider I am stuck with Charter but I am dumping the business class because all I've been doing is giving them even more money for the same horrible unstable internet connection and the same 'don't give a flying f*ck' tech support department. Not worth it at all so I can save $25 a month and have residential come out and hook up a modem and be done.

Business class my a$$!!

Update...at this point these idiots deserve the big fat 0 rating. From about 5 pm - 11 pm every single night of the week my internet basically becomes non functional. Business class, residental...don't matter. Since they did their big 100 meg upgrade my net hasn't worked worth a crap so I've been tethering off my cell phone when I want my net to work. Sad, just sad. In the past month I have had no less than ten tech visits. Almost every tech has told me the same thing too - they are going from one place to another all reporting the same issue.

Charter borked their entire network in this area with those big upgrades and switch to digital. That's when it's started and as a line tech told me - they have no idea what's wrong.

If you have any other choice (wish I did, not holding my breath for UVerse) take it. I wish I could but thanks to that monopoly it's Charter or cellular. Sadly, the cellular works better.

Comments:
megarock

join:2001-06-28
Catawissa, MO

and the winner is...

...apparently residential.

With my 'business class' my net would go down repeatedly from 5 - 10 PM. Top speed 104 meg.

With residential so far just two very quick drops - 16 locked DOCSIS channels - 110 meg and better ping times.

Seriously, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON BUSINESS CLASS.

Disgusted

@107.77.75.x

Charter lacks customer support!

I've had charter for 3 months now the internet hasn't worked for 1 day!..promises promises..they have had 3 appts to come out here and have showed up 0 times out of 3!..the customer service is so concerned about money that their support doesn't exist!.money money that's all it is to them. They don't listen to the customer nor do they care and the extent of their company training focuses on lying to the customer to pacify.. well I can't stand a liar and for a company to base their support solely on money and total lack of service support is no company I want to be part of. A reputable company should always stand behind their service and making sure the customer comes first..to be honest they disconnect more customers than they sign up!..no wonder they have to solicit business from a list they have to buy from another company if it were me I would rather have to solicit the company myself rather than be bothered at home with someone begging me to try their services...if a company has to solicit you all that says is they arent good enough to stand on their own 2 feet and they loose more customers than they keep!..hhhmmm sounds like bad business to me epic failure!..hopefully when Comcast takes over which is the company who bought them out by the way.. they will care about the customer who is actually the backbone of any business..if you don't have your customer well you have no company..so youd think the customers would be their priority! Unfortunately charter communications doesn't work that way!
karsan2007

join:2007-01-28
Glendale, CA

Charter review

I am paying almost 300.00 this month because of a charter rep he sent a tech and charged me a service call charge when it wasn't needed I am going to pay the bill then get my 45.00 back I shouldn't have to pay for tech visit if its on their end