Charter page on DSLReports

Review by political_i See Profile

• Location: Bozeman,Gallatin,MT
Good "Service, speed, reliability"
Bad "Sales people, peak hour sees 33% reduction, modem continuously disconnects"
Overall "If you want a fast connection, good installation, get on board"

UPDATE (4/14/14): I am getting a bit tired of my modem continuing to disconnect from my Airport. I am not sure if this is equipment or on the headend.

UPDATE (2/7/14): Speeds were just increased to 30/4. Restarted the modem and now have full speed. Still $40 a month. I cannot apparently get fiber to my house but I think that may change not too far from now.

I was moving into a residence with Centurylink 6/1 so I decided I wanted to get a faster connection and go with Charter. When on the phone, they tried to sell me the triple and double plays which was absolutely irritating. I was able to negotiate them for 15/2 for $40 a month. Had I known I could be serviced by fiber, I probably would've tried to negotiate further. I setup the install for a Friday and could have gotten the install done two days earlier but given my schedule that was a no can do. I setup an appointment from 3-5 pm. I ended up receiving a call at 2 pm on the day of installation saying the installer would be there in 10 minutes. I was a bit stunned due to my 2 hour window. I would rather have it early than late but still a bit annoying since I had to cancel an appointment all of a sudden due to the installation.

The installer was done quickly in 30 minutes and quite nice. Apparently, I managed to lose some of my keys and he returned them the same day. That earned some good points.

I once accidentally hit the standby button on the modem, called tech support but that took a bit more time due to the automated prompts and going through those. Luckily, I was able to get someone without being on hold and they were helpful.

One complaint I do have is peak hour congestion that it drops from 15 to 12 most times. I do have some issues with stream HD video from CBS with some drops here and there but I have had worse connections due to routers. During non-peak I can get up to 17 megs. I am not sure I will stick around since my roommates are considering switching to Montana Opticom which delivers 77 symmetrical for $70 per month.

Overall: I prefer Charter over Centurylink based on customer service and speeds offered. I will probably be switching to fiber to the home if my roommates want it.

member for 154 days, 119 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

B4KN1GHT

Charter SW Michigan

I'm very happy with my service, just wish they had higher upload speeds If fiber were available I too would probably switch!

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

30x4?

Crap. We still have the 30x5 package. Hopefully they don't drop us down a MB if we move.

I've been with this company since they were Bresnan. They've always been rather decent and I've never seen major fluctuations in speed.
political_i

join:2013-11-12
·Charter

Re: 30x4?

Given my location in the Oak Springs sub in Bozeman, I have a conduit box for Opticom but they don't want to run fiber. Honestly, I would rather build an Open Access Network.

I do see speeds decrease during peak hours. I would suggest asking. I do wish Charter would just upgrade 30/4 to 30/5 across their service area.

Review by timcuth See Profile

• Location: Pelham,Shelby,AL
Good "Much faster than advertised"
Bad "Yard digging to bury the cable"
Overall "Excellent, so far"

·AT&T Southeast
I had been on DSL for a long time, but it became apparent that the phone company would never upgrade me from 3 mbps to modern speed. So, I had to make the switch to cable.

The first speed test at the modem showed 61 mbps. Wow! They only advertise "up to 30". Wireless speeds within the home are 25-33 mbps. Upload speeds are around 4.3 mbps via wireless. I am happy, to say the least.

Comments:

Mich12yahoo

@mycingular.net

Horrible Customer Service

Called requesting new service - long story short. Very weak customer service. I kept repeating myself to each person I spoke to. They lost my info each time I was transferred to a new representative. Speaking to ONE person doesn't exist. One girl had such a bad attitude I thought she was going to reach out over the phone after I asked her why she was transferring me. Horrible horrible- please do not use them. Stay away!

Review by B4Knight See Profile

• Location: SW Michigan
Good "Good speed and pretty reliable"
Bad "Upload speeds are slower than competitors"
Overall "Happy with service but upload bandwidth could use improvements"

Became a Charter HSI only customer in June or July of 2011 and started on the 15Mbps/3Mbps plan @ $29.99/month for 12 months. I bought my own modem which was a Motorola SB6120 (now using a SB6121) to avoid Charters then $5 modem rental fee. After the year promo had ended I think the price went to $45.99/month. Sometime in late 2012 early 2013 I was offered a chance to upgrade to Charter's 30Mbps/4Mbps plan @ $54.99/month which I am currently still on and speeds are always consistent with what was advertised. I suspect that the consistency is due to living in a small town connected to a node which has little to no congestion.

Install was quick, tech (local contractor) showed up on time and didn't have to do a whole lot inside besides reroute some of the existing wiring that was installed prior to us living in this house.

We've had I'd say about 8-12 outages since I've had the service and most of them were weather/power outage related. The first time I ever had to have a tech come out was towards the middle of Feb. 2014 due to squirrels damaging my drop line causing moisture to build up in it.

Overall I'm happy with the service and look forward to the free speed upgrade to 60Mbps/4Mbps. I'd say the only thing I wish for is more on the upload side.. I'd be very content with a 60Mbps/8-10Mbps plan

member for 26 days, 39 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

cpsf856

@169.145.3.x

Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

I am on day 3 of charter service. The reason that I moved off of Verizon to Charter was when I tried hooking up my apple TV to verizon DSL I was seeing 6 hour download times. After doing a little research I found that for $5 more a month I can try Charter. It came with a 12 month commitment, which is sub optimal but I figured give it a shot because as of now Apple TV is useless.

So the review - internet is faster, can download / stream content from anywhere instantly. I am amazed at how fast the download speed is. I hope the service stays as consistent over the course of 12 months. For now, moving from Verizon appears to be a good move.
B4Knight
JD
join:2014-03-20
SW Michigan
·Charter

Re: Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

12 month commitment? Charter did away with contracts and commitments years ago.. Maybe they still offer them to people who want to lock in a lower rate, most likely bundled. They do have a 30 or 60 day money back guarentee though.

Charter is the only cable provider in my town and Frontier offers DSL with a maximum speed of 6mbps download and around 1Mbps upload. A few of my neighbors had Frontier and could only pull about 3Mbps download even during off peak hours. So for me Charter was a no brainer as Frontier would never meet my needs. Welcome to Charter and I hope your experience is just as good as mine has been for the past 2+ years

BinaryXtreme

join:2013-07-04
Sparks, NV

Re: Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

I'm on a 12 month commitment. I am bundled but neighbor isn't. He's on a 12 month commitment as well.

Review by Dial_a_Tech See Profile

• Location: Beverly Hills,Los Angeles,CA
Good "I like the green colour of the word Good"
Bad "I had to type this review twice because it didn't save. Yes this is Charters fault."
Overall "I don't see a line at the bottom?"

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum.

Comments:
tasmithe

join:2002-09-16
Graham, NC

??

This seems to NOT be a written review of Charter but rather a history lesson.

Review by mike8675309 See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Dakota,MN
Good "When it works it works, and a better value compared to alternate of DSL."
Bad "Typical cable company customer service"
Overall "Of the choices, they are the better value as long as you never need to call them for something."

·Frontier Communi..
Originally signed up with Charter when the phone company was jacking me around and said they couldn't have service for 3 days. I called Charter and they could have me up in 2 hours. And they did. I started with phone and internet through charter eventually switch over to voip for phone so now just Internet. While I feel it is still too much, it is a better value than any other option I have around me. Unlike what I hear from other users of other services I do not notice any issues with streaming Netflix at high definition. Only real down side for me is if I ever need to call them now that I am a customer. Their phone system routes you all over the places and it is almost impossible to get to a human quickly and often times you get disconnected our routed to departments other than what you choose. I swear they hope you give up. That said, I've only had to call them twice in the past 2 years. And one note, the installers I've dealt with have been great.

member for 5.2 years, 129 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Dogg See Profile

• Location: Belleville,Saint Clair,IL
Good "Good speed, very reliable"
Bad "none"
Overall "Good service with great reliability"

Tech arrived on time and install took less than 1 hour. He ran a new cable from the pole to the house, and then a new cable to my computer room. I asked him not to install the Charter software and he left it off. Computer has been up and running great since.

Only outage was last month after major thunderstorms and tornadoes thrashed our area.

I have the 1500/128 GOLD package and I am getting every bit of the pipe and then some.

My only complaint is news service. Retention was only 2-3 days in some groups and download speed is limited to 128. However, in the last month or so, retention has increased to about 21 days.
**NOTE** my price is after a discount for also having digital cable tv service

Just thought that I should note that I've had this service for almost 3 years

Service is still very reliable and fast. I now have the 3000/256 package

I now have the 5M/512 package. d/l speeds are very good. Reliability has NOT been an issue for me, with the exception of a 2 day period of slowness during the 3M to 5M conversion.

EDIT: I've been on the 10M/1M package for the last year or so. Aside from a prolonged outage which was a result of the severe ice storm that struck the midwest last winter, I have had no outages. Even during the one outage, my Charter service was restored before my electricity. Overall I have been very pleased with my service and if my price drops as the result of the new 16M service I will be extremely happy.

UPDATE: Currently on the 16/2 package. Reliability has been exceptional. The last major outage was several years ago as noted in the EDIT above. Speed results are consistently in the 15/2 range.

UPDATE: Service was currently upgraded to the new 25/3 package. After upgrading my modem from an old Motorola 4102 to the new Motorola 6102, I am speed testing at 30/3.5. No other performance or trouble issues to note.

UPDATE: Now on the 60/5 plan. Been using this tier for approx. 2 months now. Speeds are good and testing shows avg. 62/5.4. Service has been reliable with no issues.

UPDATE: Was using the 100/5 package and downgraded to the 30/4 package.

UPDATE: Speeds were upgraded to 60/4 and consistently test at those speeds. No issues to report.

Comments:

Review by GvilleDSL See Profile

• Location: Greenville,Greenville,SC
Good "Fastest speeds in town. Stable. Low ping times. Channel Bonding"
Bad "$54/month for lowest tier. Only 4mbps upload. Upload channel bonding needed"
Overall "I wish they would offer a lower tier package or implement channel bonding on upload speeds"

*3/18/14 UPDATE* Charter has finished updating my area to completely being all digital so they were able to increase(double) the download speeds from 30mbps to 60mbps for no additional cost. From what i've read they have added more TV channels as well but i dont have their TV service so i cant confirm that. Due to this speed boost ill increase my score for value for money slightly.

*3/15/13 UPDATE* Charter has made some poor moves in my opinion over the last few months by getting rid of their online customer support on these forums which helped me greatly in the past. Also they have decided to remove the lower tier service of 15/3 for the budget minded and replaced it with 30/4 for roughly $50/month. The only other current speed tier is 100mb which is quite a bit more. Even though 30/4 @ $50/month is still a better value over their rivals in Uverse in my area, it still is a poor price-for-performance ratio. I really hope they either offer a lower budget tier again or perhaps get channel bonding for their upload speeds going soon and can offer some sort of symmetrical speed tiers even at lower speeds...IE 10/10 or 20/20 for a decent price of $40 or less. Overall i have reduced my score for Charter in this review for value and tech support as both have suffered greatly in the changes that have been made.

*2/4/11 UPDATE* Charter has increased my speed from 8mb down to 12mb free of charge. This is a 50% increase....thanks Charter

*11/17/10 UPDATE* Channel bonding now enabled in my area. Thanks Charter!

*5/15/10 UPDATE* Recently downgraded my service from 25/3 to 8/1 since my promotion has run out. I signed a 24 month contract for $29/month which im very happy with considering these are the speeds im getting: »www.speedtest.net/result/815607186.png

Raised the "Value for money" to a 5 as this is the best deal in town by far.

*3/1/10 UPDATE* Charter upgraded speeds though out their tiers for free so now im receiving 25/3 instead of 20/2. So i decided to up their "Value for money" 1 more star. I'm still very happy with the service but the price after the 6 month discount still maybe a bit steep for me so ill probably drop down to 8/1 or 16/2 depending on a negotiated price point. Keep up the good work Charter.

Some history first. Ive had Charter twice before in the past 4 years or so. Twice at 2 different apartments and once at my current home. All 3 times there were issues and eventually switched to AT&T's DSL service in my home. Had DSL for about 2 years then started having issues which could not be resolved by AT&T so i made the decision to drop them and give Charter another try.

I signed up for the 20/2 plan for $55/month(Current 6 month offer)+ $10 for stand alone service(as i already have Direct TV for TV). I decided to buy a modem rather then rent one so i bought a Motorola SB 6120(incase my area is upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0 in the future). The install date came and the installer showed up right on time. I informed him i already had Direct TV and it was using all the existing coaxial cable in the house and he would have to run a new coaxial from outside to the modem inside. He ended up running the cable around the back of the house and bringing it in through the side of the house into the den. I thought it would require more but he did the job extremely fast and did a great job. He registered the modem and tested the connection and all was working. He told me the signal level was perfect since the new coaxial cable was a straight shot to where the service enters the house.

After he left i decided to hook up my Linksys WRT54GS router and noticed i was not getting the speed i was getting w/o the router. After some research i found out the router had issues with switching from 10mbps to 100mbps. It would not allow anything over 10mbps but i never noticed it before as my previous DSL connection was only 6 mbps. I decided to replace the router with a gigabit router so i got a D Link DIR 655. After that i had no issues at all. My DL speed is usually closer to 30 Mbps(mostly 2.5-3.2 MB/sec) and my upload is always 2 Mbps...even during prime time hours. Ping times are low and stable. Charter is routed up the east coast for me so the routing is slightly different then AT&T which goes through the South East(ATL).

As for the future, im hoping Charter will upgrade my area to DOCSIS 3.0 speeds but time will only tell. Their only competition in my area is AT&T's UVerse which is still in limited areas and offers slightly slower speeds compared to Charter's 20mbps plan, but im sure that will change in time as well. After the promotion runs out i may downgrade my speed to 10/2 as my only complaint is $80/month is a bit much for my broadband needs. So far however, im very impressed with Charter's improvement in my area and im happy with my service. Ill update if things are to change in the future.

member for 4.4 years, 669 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bkjohnson See Profile

• Location: Birmingham,Shelby,AL
Good "Speed & Reliability"
Overall "Very happy with Charter. Wish I had switched earlier."

Still happy. Added phone service. Internet getting better over time - increased speed, very reliable.

member for 11.9 years, 5005 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by netwere See Profile

• Location: O Fallon,Saint Clair,IL
Good "Well trained polite. The people that care about their job and the customer, blazing fast speeds"
Bad "!!! Acrom high pass filter caused unreliable connection!!!"
Overall "!Acrom Filter! If it works it's great, if it doesn't good luck getting a quick resolution"

After eight plus years of internet with Charter I decided to replace my modem with a SBG6782AC cable modem router combo. I provisioned the modem and called for the upgrade which the quoted a $200 install fee. For $200 a third party came in told me they couldn't use my modem took it off and installed a rental. They then looked at levels at the modem and at the line extender that happens to be in my yard. They said they looked "OK" and Charter may have to do some adjustments. Then they provisioned the modem and left. Three weeks later, two service calls and a pending and I have only seen one day of 100mbps. Everything from very slow download speeds to no DNS to surf. Once they do fix the problem it will be amazing based on the one good day of stable service.

2/11/14 -- !!! Thank you Nick, Lauren, Nissan from Business Customer Support,and Mischell from Liaison for trying. !!!

2/5/14 5:43-- Missed business install appointment time. After being 2 1/2 hours late they completed the install and the speed test showed 54/5 80ms response through Charters own speed test server. I had them take the modem and leave, then downgraded to 30 residential.

2/6/14 -- Installed 80/5 again and the system is working great so far. Ports that I had problems with before now forward and work correctly. Great choice for advanced gamers and computer geeks.

2/8/14 -- Connection has been down and up since last night. Called business support last night 5 times about the connection dropping. After being told I had 85% packet loss, I was initially told they couldn't respond until Sunday; this morning they now say Monday. Pre-sales sold me on business service because they respond same day if you call before 4PM. Local Belleville Illinois Area dispatch won't respond to Customer service. The bad just gets worse.

2/9/14 -- I am going to fire Charter. Sent out a tech who did nothing again.

2/9/14 -- Think I will do a little community service and take Charter customers away from them. I am thinking of putting in a small
»www.ubnt.com UBIQUITI mesh network so that every light user in my area can dump Charter if all they need is email and web surfing. Them loosing a dozen customers should even the odds a bit.

2/10/14 -- Maybe they won't have to be fired. Packet loss, reliability and speed is improving.

2/10/14 -- Asked for pricing on a fiber drop last Thursday morning and still no return call.

2/10/14 -- Fired Charter Business for missing the second appointment of the week and not meeting the contractual obligations.

2/11/14 -- My sister is very ill and I explained that to CS and they have now went out of there way to try and help. Thank you!!!

2/12/14 -- Thank you Ramsey for fiber install. I had enough information to know that it wouldn't be economical to have what would essentially be a part of their fiber backbone which is a direct connection to the national fiber backbone. The next reasonable option would have been AT&T business fiber for $85 24Mbps copper; $108 fiber if/when available pending a survey.

2/12/14 -- No matter how animated I got during the process of resolving issues Charters customer support lines were exceptional in how politely they handled calls.

2/18/14 -- It appears that the major problem all the time is the Acrom high-pass filter used to block cable TV channels. Customers that don't subscribe to cable TV but want internet have filters in place blocking the lower part of the band. I had to resort to buying a cable TV package until digital transition is through.

2/19/14 -- Looks like they are working on he lines today. I ran a bunch of speed test this morning and could see a 1 hz waveform ripple while running torrent. My download speeds were very erratic even though have have max bandwidth today. All of the sudden the download rate started to increase and become much more stable. Thank you Charter!

2/22/14 -- Bought 50 shares of Charter stock to show my appreciation. My market research also showed this is by far the best connection for the money for many residence and businesses. Even if available ATT business 45 was $108 versus charter 80 for $130.

Charter field techs were professionally dress and well mannered but not great about keeping appointments times or keeping the customer in the loop if they were going to be late.

Third party techs need to clean up there act on time frames, communications, and the appearance of employees.

There were numerous occasions that the amount of detailed information given with much stress in my voice was handled vary politely. Even when people didn't know what they were talking about technically they were polite I can tell when a company is working hard to "try" and provide a very professional customer service. Overall I am much happier being with Charter then I have in a long time.

Comments:
netwere

line monitor report

»/testhistory/955821/6f964

Larry73

@sbcglobal.net

Re: line monitor report

In our area Charter advertises a 30 Mb's. speed. This is lame compared to what I can get from TCSN.NET which is always 100 Mb's. I finally asked Charter, who called constantly to get me to sign up to put me on their "Do Not Call List."

O Fallon, IL

A much more descriptive line report over time, Constant drops and high ping times at other times.
»/testhistory/955821/6f964

updated: »/testhistory/955821/6f964

Modems

Those all in one internet gateways are a bad idea. They are pretty much all flaky and you are much better off using a modem and a good Wi-Fi router separately. The Motorola SB6141 is currently the best modem from Motorola right now as it supports 8 bonded downstream channels which Charter is deploying across its network. Cisco also makes some good modems and that is what Charter is currently using in my region. I recently had a service call and they replaced my own Motorola SB6120 with their Cisco DPC3208 and it works just the same with no change in performance. My speeds are pretty consistent even during peak hours.

Re: Modems

I replaced it with a SB6141 and still have poor line reports.

Re: Modems

The speed tests on here are usually inaccurate however the Line Quality test is really good and I don't see any packet loss so I'm not sure what the problem is? :/

Charter HSI

I'm sorry to hear about all the trouble you are having. I've been a happy residential customer for over 2 1/2 years. I would expect that business users would have better support but I guess the quality of customer service varies by the area. In my area they have always been good to me for the few times I've needed to contact them.

@charter.com
I don't know if this is your what is causing your problems but I had squirrels chew through my lines a few weeks ago. They wrecked the lines going from my home to the telephone pole and they got water logged which caused all sorts of problems from random packet loss to zero upstream connection while the downstream remained fine at times. Another possibility which I have heard about lately is loose fittings causing problems due to the extreme cold we have been having :/

@charter.com
I would get in contact with the Illinois state public service commission and also I believe this is Charter's new corporate contact info. They can help escalate your case.

»www.icc.illinois.gov/telecommunications/

»www.corporateofficehq.com/charte···-office/
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Re: Charter HSI problems

Broadband is not a regulated utility so the PSC has no authority to do anything and if they try they will be overstepping their legal authority.

@charter.com
Glad to hear that things are working out much better between you and Charter. My experience with them as a residential customer has been great for the past 2 1/2 years or so but as always YMMV
wiegeit02

join:2014-01-06

It varies alright.

I have never gotten 30 down even though I am on that tier, usually it is about 10 or so we even have 8 ch bonding here too. Well at least I am NOT paying the full price for the service.
Red Hazard
join:2012-07-21
·VOIPO

Re: Charter HSI

Charter, about 2 months ago, installed a low pass filter on my internet only drop to ensure that I was not getting QAM programs for free. It did not make sense to waste money on doing this since they just about had completed a transition to digital STB only in the this area. Anyway, the filter caused about a 5 dBmV signal loss according to my SB6141 and about 1 dB less in SNR. So far that has not affected my 100 MBPS service (via Maryville/Roxane/Belleville) unlike the issues you have had. Speed tests with 8 channel bonding are usually 2 - 3 MBPS over 100. While I am about 4 miles north of downtown O'Fallon, my service is via Maryville (old Crown Cable). R U sure it's a high pass filter they installed as that doesn't make sense?
passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI

Re: Charter HSI

Could have been a bad trap/filter or even the wrong one. There's also the possibility existing traps are not "sharp" enough and attenuate the DOCSIS frequencies in-use.

Review by naizarak See Profile

• Location: Glendale,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Good speed and promo price"
Bad "Unreliable connection "
Overall "Good but could be much better."

Went from ATT DSL @ 3mpbs down to Charter's promo HSI, 30mbps for $30/month. Coming from sluggish DSL this is a huge jump for me, and the price increase was marginal. Really can't complain about the value(for now).

Speed is as advertised, 30 down, 4 up. Connection quality has been unreliable however. It resets/drops at least once a week. It's nothing serious, but a real pain in the a** for someone running multiple servers 24/7. Yeah this isn't a business line with an "always-on" guarantee, but once a week seems like too much. Maybe I'm just naive and am expecting too much. My old DSL line literally dropped once over a 5yr span. I was hoping cable would be as reliable, especially since my area just went digital.

Install was quick, techie showed up late but got the job done, and activated the line. I wired everything else myself. FYI you can get an installation fee discount if the techie shows up late, just ask them about it.

Overall happy for now. Not sure if I'll stick around once my promo pricing expires however. Also Charter is supposed to be doubling downstream speeds later this year....but I'd appreciate greater upload a lot more at this point.

member for 6.6 years, 114 visits, last login: a few hours ago