Charter page on DSLReports

Review by brucehlm See Profile

• Location: Brookfield,Fairfield,CT
Good "Rock solid since sign-on. 20x faster than best Frontier offer."
Bad "Price will go up at end of promo"
Overall "Glad I switched from Frontier ADSL"

I was driven to Charter by the extremely poor service from Frontier. I wish I had switched several years ago. After the mandatory switch from AT&T to Frontier the network became steadily more and more congested until the internet was unusable from 7:00PM until midnight.

Charter is providing exactly the service I bargained for. Time will tell but right now I am extremely satisfied. Charter 60/4 beats Frontier 3/0.5 any day.

Signed on Charter 01/05/15 and it is now 03/24/15 without one problem attributable to Charter.

member for 10.4 years, 458 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by kherr See Profile

• Location: Collinsville,Madison,IL
Good "Good speed, Good HD"
Overall "Services rendered as advertised"

After an installation glitch, speed has been as advertised (30/4). The CS rep asked what I did to troubleshoot connection, and didn't make me to Power down, unplug, etc., etc. etc. like a drone reading from a script. and went right to what she needed, to actually watch the modem reboot (told to unplug and wait 20 sec.). She immediately saw a problem and scheduled a service call. Two days later problem was found (missing a filter for the whole house DVR that installer forgot) and have been flying since. After I ordered service, getting rid of ATT DSL I asked neighbor if he had Charter and what he thought. When he said that it was slow, my heart stopped and thought "Oh no, congestion!!. The TV does fine although when recording late night I have found more than once the "Emergency Network Test" has interrupted at bad times ....

When I got my Tivos I had a Pro install from the beginning. It took 2 days but when they sent the supervisor the second day he ripped out the previous wiring muttering something like “don’t these people read the instructions ….”, replaced the drop, installed an amp, and redid the wiring connecting to the splitter. He said that it didn’t have a chance the way they had wired it and said “heads will roll”. They’ve been working ever since. If I ever get another one I’ll spend the $20 and have them do it again.

Update :

Spectrum went active and now the speeds are 100/4 in the St. Louis market for the base package. With TV and HSI it is $125 now that my package expired. Still rock solid with only a less than a day outage.

member for 14.5 years, 4868 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by vaxvms See Profile

• Location: Worcester,Worcester,MA
Good "The technicians that come to my place have been great."
Bad "Telephone support sucks. Too many CSRs are mindless script readers. BOTs are a PITA"
Overall "When things are good they are very good. When things a bad they are VERY bad."

Ordering service was quick and pleasant.
Installation was good. Installer did what I asked without hassle. Arrived when scheduled.
I HAD to get Charter phone service - Verizon service was a big problem. It's been fine.
I have my own modem and router so I don't have any Charter hardware.
I haven't had to use tech support yet.

update April 2008
Phone support is useless. 1) When I had a problem and called support the person wasn't interested in hearing my problem. The operator just wanted my name and address to send a tech. 2) One day my connection dropped. After waiting 2 hours I called support asking if there was a problem. They weren't aware of any problems and told me there must be a large area without service and I happened to be the first to report it. Not the case.
Techs visiting my home have found and fixed problems quickly. These fixes have been simple. I hop not-so-simple problems are resolved quickly.

update: July 2008
Phone support is still useless. Techs sent out to fix hardware problems have been knowledgable and make quick work of diagnosing and replacing broken hardware. The time to get a tech to my home has been very fast. Scheduled a visit on a Saturday morning and tech arrived in 4 hours.

Update January 2009
Things are slacking off. There have been many times where the net connection will drop a few times in a short period. No real pattern to when the connection drops. It doesn't take long to come back but it's more than just annoying when there's 3 or 4 dropped connections in a hour.
I've given up on calling tech support and the standard "There's an outage in your area. We don't know when it'll be fixed." response. Cable service has vanished a few times in the past couple months.

Update April 2009
Outages of all 3 services is becoming more common; at least once a month. Typically service is out for more than 4 hours. Calls to support require I give them my name, phone number, account number, address, and more before they tell me the standard "There's an outage in your area. We don't know when it'll be fixed." response. When service is restored it's back for less than an hour before it goes out again for half an hour. The "new" SA box I got had to be replaced after 3 months.

Update Oct 2009
Service has started dropping out sporatically in rainy weather. When it was happening last(?) year they replaced their box on the utility pole that had become full of water. Literally full of water. Techs were at the neighbor's house this week. Shortly after they arrived my service went out. It's been flickering ever since. Talked to the techs before they left. The techs said the neighbor was having problems with their 'net connection but they could find no problem. Powerboost was introduced a couple days ago.

Update Nov 2010
Network service has been stable.

Update Jun 2011
Phone support is still completely clueless to the real world.
A couple extended outages over the past couple months

Update November 2011
Home service: N/C
I work in downtown Worcester. We have Charter business service. When things are working they work well. When there are problems it can be a nightmare. But that seems to be the case with any service that is provided using wires in downtown Worcester.

Update July 2012
When service works, it's great. When there's a problem phone support is USELESS. For example: I call and report a problem. Tech support says there's no outage in the area. I ask Could it be I'm the first person to be reporting a problem? Support person response is NO YOU COULDN'T ' BE. Then a minute later tells me there is a problem in your area.
Upgrading from service I currently have to the new minimal service will cost me $15/month. Lord I wish there was some other provider available here.
ARRRRG!

30 minutes later
When service is out, phone support is LESS THAN USELESS

10/14/2012
Again I say
Charter phone support sucks farts out of dead dogs butts
both home and business service.

5/18/2013
Yet again I say
Charter phone support sucks farts out of dead dogs butts, both home and business service. 4 out of 5 CSR are completely ignorant and useles.
I've been forced to 30/4 service. I don't need or want 30/4 15/3 would be great. But Charter has declared that to be NFG. The only good thing to say about the required 30/4 service is getting a DOCSIS 3 modem from them.

9/2013
The new 2 option internet service sucks. Charter's offering of 100Mbps or 30Mbps combined with their attitude of 'You don't like it? Then go f*ck yourself' is ridiculous. What's next a 2 package tv offering? You can gave All channels and offerings for $500/month or basic plus a bunch of channels you'll never watch for $150/month.
Cable TV - updates to the software/firmware in the cable box have been happening while I'm watching TV. The show video&audio disappear when a blue screen pops up announcing an update. After the update finishes the show returns. These interruptions have been happening between 8 & 10 PM.
---
When my package deal ended and internet became 2 choices with no package deals ever again I called Charter to see what I could get. I had to speak with 3 ignorant persons before I got to 1 who knew what he was talking about. One of the persons I spoke with told me the price for internet service would never change. What? What do you mean it'll never change? Are you telling me the cost will never go up? The price will never change sir but there will be adjustments made to cover costs to provide the service. So I'll be paying more for the service. No sir the cost will never change.

10/2013
Charter's phone support system is USELESS!!!!!

04/2014
I dropped tv service. All I have is 30/4 internet service (dl faster than I currently need/want). It's fine but when there is any kind of issue phone support is almost never of any help. For example:

ME: My cable service is out. My neighbors too. Is there a problem in the area?
CSR: No one has reported problems in your area.
ME: Could it be that I'm the first person to report the problem?
CSR: No sir. That's not possible.
ME: ??? sigh...

Update July 2014
Many Charter techs don't know their *ss from their elbow. Some are extremely competent. Most should be flipping burgers at McDonald's. I've had the privilege to interact with both. Those that are competent are always amused at what the others say and do.

Update March 2015
My DL speed has recently gone from 30Mbps to 60Mbps. "Free speed upgrade" as Charter calls it. Far more than I need but still the lowest level offered. Cost just went from $50/month to $55/month. Coincidence?
I may, not at my choice, become a Comcast customer this year if the FCC OK's the Comcast / Time Warner merger.

member for 10 years, 4511 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ChrtrFanBoy6

join:2012-07-02

useless

So they are not useless then? Good. 3

Duggue

@charter.com

Review

Hey - I'm in the Tri-Cities too. After fighting a losing battle with Verizon for many years, bagged 'em and got Charter Cable Internet. Wow!! Super-fast 15Mb/sec down, 3 Mb/sec upload. Had it a year now and only two outages the whole time. One tech support to my house, went well and fixed the problem. Started at $19.99 a month - has kept creeping up now to about $30.00. My only complaint!

Kevin a

@172.56.1.x

charter are criminals

I was told the same thing about the router. Even though I bought the one the suggested. Also the owe me $1478.54. When I was makinga payment they withdrew $770 instead of $77. It cause over$700 in overdrafts in my banking account. This was in March 2013. It is October and still haven't gotten my money back. They state that is to late

Review by TheTechGuru See Profile

• Location: TEXAS
Good "Nothing Really"
Bad "18 Days & 2 No Shows & 1 Show But No Install Before Finally Installing On The 4th Appointment"
Overall "Company Needs To Do Away With 3rd Party Contractors & Fix Primetime Internet Congestion"

This is the most horrible and stressful internet install I have ever experienced in my life.

I ordered service via the Charter website on Friday Jan 28th 2011 from my old house and soon after got 3 confirmation email’s one confirming my install date of Wednesday Jan 2nd 2011. I was at my new home all day unpacking and no one ever showed up. I called and they rescheduled for Saturday February 12th 2011 between 5 & 7 pm saying this was the earliest date available not having any consideration to make it any sooner considering that THEY were the ones that did not show up. I was home all day working outside and no one ever showed up, I called at 7:05 PM to find out what was going on and they told me that a tech was at my door at a brown house with a brown door at 5pm. I told them my house is not brown, and it does not have a brown door (nor are any of my close neighbors houses) and described to them my house. They then proceeded to reschedule AGAIN for Monday February 14th 2011 between 8 & 10am. That morning I looked outside at random times between 8 and 10 and around 9am I saw a unmarked run down looking old pickup truck with ladders on top parked by the utility pole between my house and my neighbors house. I went outside to ask who the person was and found him out there messing with my neighbor's cable line and he said he is with the cable company and my service is next on his list. When he came over he came inside to survey where I wanted the service installed then back outside he told me he would need to install a box on the wall outside and asked if I am renting or own the place. I told him that I would prefer that he not install a box and use only a ground block and that I am owner financing. He said company policy requires that a box be installed and that he cannot install the service without permission from the owner. I told him that I am the owner and owner financing vs. bank financing makes no difference for matters like this and he still refused to install my service. At this point I was furious and cussed the guy out for never showing up the previous 2 appointments and he left. I then called my lender on the house and they said they would have someone hand deliver the needed letter within an hour. I then called Charter Management and told them what happened and that I needed my service installed TODAY and by a Charter employee not a 3rd party contractor. They told me they would have someone out between 2 & 4pm. A Charter employee in a Charter labeled van shows up about 3pm and finally gets everything installed. He only installed a ground block and not a box and I didn’t even need to tell/ask him to do so. I offered him the letter from the lender and he said he did not need it because it does not have to drill anything, he used all existing holes.

I am subscribing to the 12/1 service and it peaks anywhere from 15-25mbps in the middle of the night and it as slow as 4-6mbps during primetime in the evening.

Charter Management has waived my install fee and given me two months of free service for all of this trouble. Do note my first 3 months of service are only $19.95/mo with the current special.

On a side note, in my opinion I believe the 3rd party contractor involved is defrauding Charter. First because of his not showing up 2 times and reporting that he did show up but at a house that does not match my house’s description I think he is claiming pay from charter for the trips that he may or may not have really even made. 2nd I have seen him at my neighbor’s house 4 times since moving here and I believe he may only be half fixing problems in order to get paid more for more trips.

member for 11 years, 1119 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
stridr69

join:2003-05-19
San Luis Obispo, CA

Back to the Future!

WTH! This is from 2011. Please delete!

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

Re: Back to the Future!

Ya, not possible. All I did was make a one character correction and the damn system updated the post date. I didn't think it would change that. DSLR's website software is kinda dumb.
CompTIA Network+ Certified
I didn't obtain all of my knowledge for free. It cost me $48K in student loans which is ridiculous!

Review by BlakePaulson See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Douglas,MN
Good "Always get my speed listed..."
Bad "Have to call in and get a promo every 12 months"
Overall "Internet here is amazing... never down, consistant speeds."

·T-Mobile US
Our internet has only been down 3 times that I've noticed since 2007... so in 8 years I've only noticed it down 3 times. I'm on the internet a lot. So needless to say it's very reliable and I have no problems getting the speed I paid for any time of day or night. All of our streaming video sites work great as well and as far as I can tell they don't block some residential server ports.

I added charter TV as well ($39.99 for internet and $39.99 for basic tv plus $2 for a cablecard and taxes and fees (like $12 worth.) I've been pretty satisfied with Charter's TV service aside from the fact that I wish they didn't use MPEG2. I have a 3TB TiVo roamio pro and for an hour long tv show in HD it takes up around 5.9GB's of data... DirecTV uses MPEG4 and for an hour long show I think it's only a little over 1GB. So even with 3TB of space to record stuff it still runs out of space quickly because the files end up being so big.

member for 6.6 years, 1671 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Charter Biz

@charter.com

Overall cool customer service!

First of all hello to everyone.
I've never done stuff like that,but thought id leave a feedback.Well i own a retail business,and charter business is what i use here at my store.I don't like to spend too much time with my vendors that i use at my business because owning one, means time is very valuable and i have to dedicate it to my customers that i care a lot for.So, long story short...any issue i had in past id call them directly and every time they are so cool to deal with its just amazing,its easy,fast,people in customer care are super nice i mean ALWAYS! I actually learned a lot from them about customer service for myself,yeah exactly i use it,and my customers always appreciated me for that.Companies like Sprint,T-mobile,Sams Club should learn a lot from Charter.I thank Charter and its stuff,keep rocking the good business and don't ever change that style of yours!

Thank you and God bless all.

Review by beameup See Profile

• Location: Hammond,Tangipahoa,LA
Good "Fast! Good up time"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Fastest in my area by a long shot."

I have the Triple play package, Phone TV & Internet. I did have a few issues at the beginning. Modem kept dropping signal. Ended up being a couple of the existing cable runs in my home weren't good, and the 2nd time it was an intermittent line issue way down the road from me. Both were handled well, all my drops replaced and new lines run in the house. Even had Quality assurance reps visit me. No complaints except the fact that I have to rent a box for every TV when they went 100% digital. I have 3. Let me have an extra box free for 1 year. I put the 3rd TV on OTA exclusively. It's decent, but I'm so far away from BR & NO that I lose signal at night on some stations.

I have Motorola Set top Boxes and an Arris Tm822A Cable modem.

Choices here are Charter or ATT 6MB Uverse.

Comments:

rshores

join:2001-05-28
Lebanon, TN

Keep Your Fingers Crossed

Keep your fingers crossed that the Comcast - Time Warner Cable merger isn't approved because Charter will transfer their LA operations to Comcast if the merger is approved. I am in TN and have been happy with my service with Charter. We will be transferred to Comcast as well if the merger is approved.

Review by Tweak3d See Profile

• Location: Coos Bay,Coos,OR
Good "Speed, price, speed, happiness."
Bad "Latency fluctuates a bit at peak times"
Overall "Dollar to mb ratio is reasonable."

Here is a speed test result that made me smile:
Speed Test #107676855 by dslreports.com
Run: 2015-02-20 10:39:36 EST
Download: 65.05 (data megabits/second)
Upload: 4.21 (data megabits/second)
Tested by server: 698 java
User: 1822907 @ dslreports.com
User's DNS: charter.com
Compared to the average of 39 tests from charter.com:
* download is 282% better, upload is 37% better

So far Charter has lived up to everything that they have said. Install time was right on the money (Sunday even).
Service has been pretty near flawless. 3 months and I haven't had to call tech service yet.

My big WOW is that the price is $25 cheaper than my old DSL and I am getting 20x the speed.

So far I am very happy. I will post if things so south.

Comments:

Review by applerule See Profile

• Location: Mars Hill,Madison,NC
Good "Always get advertised speeds, good tech support"
Overall "Well worth it."

·US Cellular
I have the Charter Business 60/4 plan with the managed router. I pay $80/mo and always get my advertised speeds. Support has been very good the handful of times I called. I used DSL and 4G before Charter ran lines in my area, and this is a vast improvement. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

member for 2.2 years, 357 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by timcuth See Profile

• Location: Pelham,Shelby,AL
Good "Consistent fast speed"
Bad "Occasional outages; occasional DNS failure"
Overall "Excellent, so far"

·AT&T Southeast
I had been on DSL for a long time, but it became apparent that the phone company would never upgrade me from 3 mbps to modern speed. So, I had to make the switch to cable.

The first speed test at the modem showed 61 mbps. Wow! They only advertise "up to 30". Wireless speeds within the home are 25-33 mbps. Upload speeds are around 4.3 mbps via wireless. I am happy, to say the least.

*** UPDATE Feb 13, 2015 ***

They revised my advertised speed from 30/4 to 60/4. Speed test results are usually even better than that (approximately 68 / 5). I had to switch to a third party DNS provider, because Charter's DNS flakes out from time to time. Soon, my first promotional rate will expire, and I will have to pay more.

member for 14.5 years, 6427 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Mich12yahoo

@mycingular.net

Horrible Customer Service

Called requesting new service - long story short. Very weak customer service. I kept repeating myself to each person I spoke to. They lost my info each time I was transferred to a new representative. Speaking to ONE person doesn't exist. One girl had such a bad attitude I thought she was going to reach out over the phone after I asked her why she was transferring me. Horrible horrible- please do not use them. Stay away!

crazy

@bresnan.net

customer service

Horrible paid 2years on time early when they make a mistake and u get behind they want to disconnect not work w u

Review by jopfef See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis,MO
Good "Awesome internet speed, and it's rock solid."
Bad "Dropped the TV service after the TV died...."
Overall "Can't beat the speed!"

·Vonage
2-3-15: I'm still living in my little house in the woods, and I still have Charter. I'm still enjoying the blazing 100 megs in download speed, and griping about the miserable 5 megs in upload speed; Charter really does need to do something about their upload speeds. The download speed is still awesome, and I've noticed an improvement in speed, albeit a slight one, since I upgraded to a Cisco Linksys EA6300 router. Works like a charm with the Cisco modem from Charter; I don't like to mix equipment manufacturers, so Charter has continued to provide a Cisco modem as needed. Mother Nature has managed to zap two Cisco modems during summer storms over the last several years; I now unplug everything when I hear the first roll of thunder. Better safe than sorry!

Still no TV service, and no plans to bring it back. I thought the TV had died and dropped the TV service. Just for a lark, I turned it on one day last year, and discovered that it wasn't the TV that had died, but the Charter cable box! And that's when I switched over to using a Roku box with my Amazon Prime account. Still doing that today, on the rare occasions that I actually turn on the TV. I prefer to just stream my cop shows online; as long as I can get those, I'm happy. *grin*

********************************************************************************************************************

5-1-14: I'm still living in my little house in the woods, and still have Charter -- but internet service only now. I couldn't continue to justify the increasing cost of the TV service, so dropped it in favor of a Roku HD box to use with my Amazon Prime account. (And yes, the internet service went way up in price, for just having a single service.) I now stream my cop shows via the internet, so haven't really lost out on anything. Planning on purchasing an OTA antenna next month, so that I can pick up the local channels for the news and weather. I still have great internet speeds, and I do NOT miss paying the huge Charter TV bill every month. Unless something really drastic happens, I will probably never sign up for TV service again; it's just a waste of money for me, since I'm not a big TV watcher.

9-20-13: Yes, I still live in my little house in the woods, and I still have my Charter services. I'm on a fixed income now, so dropped the 100 megs for the internet to the 30megs; funny part was that I didn't see that big a change, but it saved me a boatload of money! TV is still just the Select service; all I ever watch are my cop shows, so it's not worth paying for anything else. No DVR box, just an HD box. I don't ever have any problems with internet speed; I have the tap in my back yard, and usually run at 40-45 megs. *grin* Sometimes there is pixelating on the TV, but not any internet issues. Still happy with my services, but am seriously considering trying an antenna and going OTA; not sure it will work with all the trees around here -- but I am on the top of a hill. That remains to be seen on trying it; it would save some money, but the increase in price for just internet makes me think it might not be worth it.

AT&T has been sending me a bunch of literature in the mail lately, but I'm not interested at all. They don't even come close to the internet speed that Charter provides, so I'm not changing.

2-10-2013: I still live in my little house in the woods, and still have my Charter services. Unfortunately, I'm retired now, so have to shell out for Charter, so that's a bite in the butt; services are NOT cheap. I'm spoiled with the 100 megs for the internet so will continue to pay for it, but dropped my TV down to just the Select service; all I ever watch are my cop shows, so it's not worth paying for anything else. Also got rid of the DVR box and now have just an HD box; no sense in paying for those services either. Had yet another round with the bad signals a couple of weeks ago, along with pixelating on the TV. A Charter tech working outside informed me that there was an issue with all the wiring up here on the hill. Took them all day, but they have the problem resolved now, and all is well again.

7-15-2012: Still living in my little house in the woods, and still have my Charter services. Still running at 100 megs, although the squirrels did finally do in the line running down the pole a couple of weeks ago. A wonderful tech named Danny came out and replaced the line, it's buried to the house once again, and my service is back running at blasting speeds again! Just internet and TV, as usual, and I've actually watched TV a little bit more lately. With the Olympics about to debut, I know I'll have the TV on alot more while that's going on, particularly the Equestrian part. Looking forward to kicking back and watching things in London! Very happy with my Charter services!

12-7-2011: Pearl Harbor Day! 70 years ago, this year. Wow.... No change in the housing situation, and still no change in my Charter services. Just internet and TV, and am happy with both, even though I don't turn on the TV that often. I've had a running battle with the squirrels this year though! Four tech visits this year so far, due to the little buggers chewing the line where it runs down the pole and gets buried to the house. Too bad I can't discharge a weapon within the county limits! I gave myself a birthday present this year and upgraded to the 60 megs -- WOW!!! And then, unbeknownst to me, down the pike came the upgrades, so I'm blasting along at 100 megs now!!! Speedtest from from the head end has me at 98 megs, and Speedtest dot net has me at 89.7 megs -- can't beat that with a big stick! *grin* Very happy with my Charter internet, and my TV, on the rare occasions that I turn it on.

3-9-2011: No change in the housing situation, and no change in my Charter services. Still have the internet and TV services, and still not much of a TV watcher, even though I have all the services as a Charter employee. Maybe one of these days. *grin* I'm an avid computer junkie and put the internet service to plenty of good use, and thoroughly enjoy having my 25 megs here at home. One of these days I might actually consider making the jump to Ultra. Who knows???

5-26-2010: Still living in the little house in the woods on top of a very big hill -- and Charter is still my provider, since I'm an employee. I got the auto-upgrade to 25 megs, and now have a ubee Docsis 3.0 modem installed here; leasing it from Charter until prices come down a bit, and then I'll purchase my own. I was having a problem with slow speeds, until I got smart and changed the DNS servers; running like a scared rabbit now! *grin* Still have just the TV and the internet service, and I should probably dump the TV connection; even with a nice flat-panel here, I hardly ever watch TV. And still using my BlackBerry phone so don't need a house phone.

11-17-2009: Moved this fall, to a little house in the woods on top of a very big hill -- and had Charter re-installed the day I moved in. Install tech looked at the outside line after he couldn't get a good signal, said it was badly damaged, and then saw the squirrels running around in the trees. *grin* He immediately ran a new line and arranged to have it buried this time, to prevent any more damage from my friendly little "neighbors". Bury crew was here the next day, and no problems with any connections at all. Still have just the TV and the internet service; not paying for phone service as I pay a ton of money every month to have my BlackBerry phone and need it more than I need a house phone. Still running at 20 megs with no problems, and very happy to have the service on top of this hill; wasn't sure Charter was up here when I moved, but happy that they are!

5-5-2009: Still have Charter cable installed, and still working for Charter. The only problem I've had was a 9-day delay in getting the outside line put back up when a boom truck went by and pulled it down (had the boom partway up). Due to the stupidity of the person who took my call, the work order was entered incorrectly, and it took NINE DAYS for a tech to get out here and restring it. Once that was done, no problems.

I'm now running at 20 megs, and it's great! Today, just for fun, I installed Windows 7 RC 1, and it's running on Charter. Way better than Vista, and my laptop is hitting top speeds now. Very pleased with that, and will probably upgrade when the final release comes out.

9-23-2008: Well, it's back to Charter cable for services again. I moved in June, and the DSL that was available here absolutely sucked on speed. So out the door with it. I'm a Charter employee, so had the TV and the internet installed, and it's running just fine. I jumped to 16 megs for the internet, and it's awesome! AT&T doesn't have anything close to that, needless to say. The only problem I had was when a boom truck drove by with its boom up, and snagged both the Charter line and the electrical line coming into my house. Utility company was here in less than 30 minutes. Even with all my ranting and raving, it still took Charter NINE days to get the line put back up. Disgraceful.

9-13-2007: I'm still gone from Charter, but that will probably change within the next few months. I'm in the process of looking for a home to purchase, and depending on the availability of cable being there, plan to have Charter installed again. It'll be free this time around -- it's one of the perks of being an employee. *grin* I find it quite humorous that my current living situation dictates that even though I work for Charter, I have AT&T DSL at home. I did just upgrade to the 6 megs on the DSL, to see if it's any good; I'll know when the new modem gets here -- I'm running the DSL here on an old 5360!

I'm NOT a fan of the bundle setup that Charter is offering. I don't own a television, haven't owned one in years, and see no need to own one. I also don't need a phone, since I depend exclusively on my cell phone. The phone line here is used strictly for the DSL line; there isn't even a phone hooked up to it. So I don't know how that will fall out if and when it comes time to install Charter again. Time will tell!

It's been awhile since I posted an update and there have been some changes, so here goes. I'm gone from Charter even though I loved the speeds that I got; very consistent, as tested with the tools here at DSLR. I was on a special rate at Charter for the last several years. Not only did I lose that rate ($26/month), but I went straight from it to the new rate of $58/month -- and that's just for Internet service!!! I don't have cable TV here, so that was just too rich for my blood. Called Charter and cancelled the service, effective the day of the new rate hike, and called AT&T and ordered DSL.

My Linksys BEFCMU10 modem is packed away for another day. I'm currently house-shopping, and it will most likely be put to use again after I move. For the time being, I'm using an old Speedstream 5360 that I had lying around here; it does the job admirably well, and is hooked to my Linksys router before branching out to my systems.

I was very unhappy with the massive increase in price with Charter. I still think they have the best speed in town, although I'm not at all interested in their 6meg offering. I am sad to depart from them, but have to do what's best financially right now. I think those prices for naked internet are ridiculous. :-(

member for 14 years, 6082 visits, last login: a few hours ago