Charter page on DSLReports

Review by dataice See Profile

• Location: Crisfield,Somerset,MD
Good "Quick Install"
Bad "Tech Support"
Overall "Charter is my only choice if I want more than 3 Mbps"

·Verizon Online DSL
04/24/2014: I just started service today. I'm on their 8/1 internet package. It's the fastest tier they have for my area. I'll update my review after I put it through its paces. From my initial speed test, I'm getting more than the advertised speed. I'm averaging just over 12 Mbps.

member for 11.4 years, 2033 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by OpTiC See Profile

• Location: Temple City,Los Angeles,CA
Good "clear tv picture quality "
Bad "lots of problems with scientific alanta box"
Overall "Best option for TV if Uverse or Fios isn't available"

May 2011- I recently moved to a Time Warner cable area. So I disconnected my Charter services

July 2010-My promo ended for expanded basic with basic channels. Now I'm paying 67.99 with tax.

June 2009- My promo ended for expanded basic with basic channels, but luckly I get the promo renewed

May 2007- I signed up for Charter TV services the plan I signed up for is expanded basic with basic channels. I received the Scientific Atlanta 2000 cable box.

==============================================================

In the end, they are a decent choice an area with very little to no other choices, except MAYBE At&t Uverse.

member for 47 days, 48 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI

Best option if Uverse isn't available...

Have you tried Uverse TV? I've seen it first-hand and know a few people who have it. It's a mixed-bag for sure.

anonymous103

@charter.com

crap

Charter has nothing but issues. Disappointed to the max. Horrible internet telephone and television service. Don't recommend charter anything to anyone, by far the worst customer service ever. The technicians aren't anything special either.
surferwoman

join:2014-04-23
Hesperia, CA

Unburied Cable

I was digging in my yard trying to get it looking good. All of a sudden I unearthed a cable belonging to Charter. It was real close to the surface. It goes all across my yard. My neighbor said Charter didn't bury the cable deep enough. I called Charter and they were supposed to come out to bury it but they never did. I keep tripping on it. I don't know what to do. It is ruining my plans for my yard.

NEFiredog

@catholicmutual.org

Charter Communications

I live in an area that only allows a single cable television provider by franchise with the local town government. Our cable system has been sold twice over the last 20 years, and we now have Charter Communications. By far, this is the worst company I have ever been forced to deal with. Their customer service is non-existent, if there is a problem with the signal it is always my fault, and the absolute worse issue is the closest walk in office to my home is over 80 miles away. My money is good enough to purchase their crappy cable service, but not good enough to provide me reasonable location for a walk in office to exchange set top box, pick up a replacement remote, or easy access to an area manager to express my complaints to.

Recently, over three billing cycles, we got a notice in our monthly bill that we were about to get CBS Sports Channel. This is great because a couple of programs I like to watch moved to this channel and a local college basketball team is sometimes broadcast over this channel. I even checked with the CBS Sports website and my zip code as listed as getting CBS Sports. When, after 8 months, we never got the channel, I called Charter. First, they said we should be getting it and they would have a tech check it out. Never heard anything, so called back a few days later, same response. Then I get a message that we are not getting the channel. So I call again, ask why we are not getting it, the rep said we were never scheduled to get the channel. But, I said, we got a notice that we are to get it. Then we get a sorry, you are not getting it. I ask for a supervisor, I get one and I asked why we were not getting a channel we were told are to get. No answer, sorry, just not to get it. Not a happy person here. I have reported my displeasure with their service to their corporate office with very little results. I have now asked my local town government to seek bids for other cable providers. I will see where that goes.

Review by PacketHauler See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Dakota,MN
Good "Quick install, free modem, reliable service, solid connection speed"
Bad "Upstream speed needs a bump, TV services are lackluster"
Overall "Great service for the money"

·Frontier Communi..
I've been a DSL customer for almost 2 years now, here in Farmington. The DSL service was rock-solid. However, the upstream speeds were killing me when I worked from home. 768k wasn't enough. I move large files to and from work when I'm remote. Reluctantly I went back to Charter. I just setup the install appointment on charter.com, with the Internet only package. I received the Internet Plus package for $30/mo for the first 12 months, then it bumps to $45/mo. Honestly, to get 30Mbps down, and have it consistent, I have no problem paying $45/month. I ordered the service on Friday, and they were out to install it the following Monday, so 1 business day turn around time is pretty good in my book.

The modem they provided me was the Cisco DPC3208. I work as a network engineer, and I was thrilled to see they are offering much better quality modems these days. The only time I've had to reboot the modem is when there was an outage last month. Other than that, I've left it alone. Signal strength has been excellent.

Honestly I think the issue most people experience with Charter, or any other ISP, is poor wireless signal quality as most neighborhoods are saturated in the 2.4Ghz band. I have almost all of my devices on the 5.8GHz band, and I've always been able to pull 30Mbps down during peak traffic periods at night. Netflix has always been in SuperHD, and I've always been able to get Amazon's 1080p streams as well at night. That is my benchmark for how an ISP handles its peering points. I don't use Charter's DNS servers however, I've opted to use OpenDNS, as I've had great experience with reliable DNS service. This might be partially why I've had good luck with Amazon Video and Netflix.

There was only 1 outage that I knew of, that lasted no longer than an hour or so early in the morning. I've never been kicked off VPN sessions while using the Charter service.

For $30, you really can't be the speed or the reliability. If my experience changes, I will update my review accordingly.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

Review by political_i See Profile

• Location: Bozeman,Gallatin,MT
Good "Service, speed, reliability"
Bad "Sales people, peak hour sees 33% reduction, modem continuously disconnects"
Overall "If you want a fast connection, good installation, get on board"

UPDATE (4/14/14): I am getting a bit tired of my modem continuing to disconnect from my Airport. I am not sure if this is equipment or on the headend.

UPDATE (2/7/14): Speeds were just increased to 30/4. Restarted the modem and now have full speed. Still $40 a month. I cannot apparently get fiber to my house but I think that may change not too far from now.

I was moving into a residence with Centurylink 6/1 so I decided I wanted to get a faster connection and go with Charter. When on the phone, they tried to sell me the triple and double plays which was absolutely irritating. I was able to negotiate them for 15/2 for $40 a month. Had I known I could be serviced by fiber, I probably would've tried to negotiate further. I setup the install for a Friday and could have gotten the install done two days earlier but given my schedule that was a no can do. I setup an appointment from 3-5 pm. I ended up receiving a call at 2 pm on the day of installation saying the installer would be there in 10 minutes. I was a bit stunned due to my 2 hour window. I would rather have it early than late but still a bit annoying since I had to cancel an appointment all of a sudden due to the installation.

The installer was done quickly in 30 minutes and quite nice. Apparently, I managed to lose some of my keys and he returned them the same day. That earned some good points.

I once accidentally hit the standby button on the modem, called tech support but that took a bit more time due to the automated prompts and going through those. Luckily, I was able to get someone without being on hold and they were helpful.

One complaint I do have is peak hour congestion that it drops from 15 to 12 most times. I do have some issues with stream HD video from CBS with some drops here and there but I have had worse connections due to routers. During non-peak I can get up to 17 megs. I am not sure I will stick around since my roommates are considering switching to Montana Opticom which delivers 77 symmetrical for $70 per month.

Overall: I prefer Charter over Centurylink based on customer service and speeds offered. I will probably be switching to fiber to the home if my roommates want it.

member for 163 days, 126 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

B4KN1GHT

@charter.com

Charter SW Michigan

I'm very happy with my service, just wish they had higher upload speeds If fiber were available I too would probably switch!

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

30x4?

Crap. We still have the 30x5 package. Hopefully they don't drop us down a MB if we move.

I've been with this company since they were Bresnan. They've always been rather decent and I've never seen major fluctuations in speed.
political_i

join:2013-11-12
·Charter

Re: 30x4?

Given my location in the Oak Springs sub in Bozeman, I have a conduit box for Opticom but they don't want to run fiber. Honestly, I would rather build an Open Access Network.

I do see speeds decrease during peak hours. I would suggest asking. I do wish Charter would just upgrade 30/4 to 30/5 across their service area.

Review by timcuth See Profile

• Location: Pelham,Shelby,AL
Good "Much faster than advertised"
Bad "Yard digging to bury the cable"
Overall "Excellent, so far"

·AT&T Southeast
I had been on DSL for a long time, but it became apparent that the phone company would never upgrade me from 3 mbps to modern speed. So, I had to make the switch to cable.

The first speed test at the modem showed 61 mbps. Wow! They only advertise "up to 30". Wireless speeds within the home are 25-33 mbps. Upload speeds are around 4.3 mbps via wireless. I am happy, to say the least.

member for 13.6 years, 6023 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Mich12yahoo

@mycingular.net

Horrible Customer Service

Called requesting new service - long story short. Very weak customer service. I kept repeating myself to each person I spoke to. They lost my info each time I was transferred to a new representative. Speaking to ONE person doesn't exist. One girl had such a bad attitude I thought she was going to reach out over the phone after I asked her why she was transferring me. Horrible horrible- please do not use them. Stay away!

Review by B4Knight See Profile

• Location: Colon,Saint Joseph,MI
Good "Good speed and pretty reliable"
Bad "Upload speeds are slower than competitors"
Overall "Happy with service but upload bandwidth could use improvements"

Became a Charter HSI only customer in June or July of 2011 and started on the 15Mbps/3Mbps plan @ $29.99/month for 12 months. I bought my own modem which was a Motorola SB6120 (now using a SB6121) to avoid Charters then $5 modem rental fee. After the year promo had ended I think the price went to $45.99/month. Sometime in late 2012 early 2013 I was offered a chance to upgrade to Charter's 30Mbps/4Mbps plan @ $54.99/month which I am currently still on and speeds are always consistent with what was advertised. I suspect that the consistency is due to living in a small town connected to a node which has little to no congestion.

Install was quick, tech (local contractor) showed up on time and didn't have to do a whole lot inside besides reroute some of the existing wiring that was installed prior to us living in this house.

We've had I'd say about 8-12 outages since I've had the service and most of them were weather/power outage related. The first time I ever had to have a tech come out was towards the middle of Feb. 2014 due to squirrels damaging my drop line causing moisture to build up in it.

Overall I'm happy with the service and look forward to the free speed upgrade to 60Mbps/4Mbps. I'd say the only thing I wish for is more on the upload side.. I'd be very content with a 60Mbps/8-10Mbps plan

member for 35 days, 51 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

cpsf856

@169.145.3.x

Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

I am on day 3 of charter service. The reason that I moved off of Verizon to Charter was when I tried hooking up my apple TV to verizon DSL I was seeing 6 hour download times. After doing a little research I found that for $5 more a month I can try Charter. It came with a 12 month commitment, which is sub optimal but I figured give it a shot because as of now Apple TV is useless.

So the review - internet is faster, can download / stream content from anywhere instantly. I am amazed at how fast the download speed is. I hope the service stays as consistent over the course of 12 months. For now, moving from Verizon appears to be a good move.
B4Knight
JD
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI
·Charter

Re: Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

12 month commitment? Charter did away with contracts and commitments years ago.. Maybe they still offer them to people who want to lock in a lower rate, most likely bundled. They do have a 30 or 60 day money back guarentee though.

Charter is the only cable provider in my town and Frontier offers DSL with a maximum speed of 6mbps download and around 1Mbps upload. A few of my neighbors had Frontier and could only pull about 3Mbps download even during off peak hours. So for me Charter was a no brainer as Frontier would never meet my needs. Welcome to Charter and I hope your experience is just as good as mine has been for the past 2+ years

BinaryXtreme

join:2013-07-04
Sparks, NV

Re: Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

I'm on a 12 month commitment. I am bundled but neighbor isn't. He's on a 12 month commitment as well.

Review by Dial_a_Tech See Profile

• Location: Beverly Hills,Los Angeles,CA
Good "I like the green colour of the word Good"
Bad "I had to type this review twice because it didn't save. Yes this is Charters fault."
Overall "I don't see a line at the bottom?"

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum.

member for 1.2 years, 75 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
tasmithe

join:2002-09-16
Graham, NC

??

This seems to NOT be a written review of Charter but rather a history lesson.

Review by mike8675309 See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Dakota,MN
Good "When it works it works, and a better value compared to alternate of DSL."
Bad "Typical cable company customer service"
Overall "Of the choices, they are the better value as long as you never need to call them for something."

·Frontier Communi..
Originally signed up with Charter when the phone company was jacking me around and said they couldn't have service for 3 days. I called Charter and they could have me up in 2 hours. And they did. I started with phone and internet through charter eventually switch over to voip for phone so now just Internet. While I feel it is still too much, it is a better value than any other option I have around me. Unlike what I hear from other users of other services I do not notice any issues with streaming Netflix at high definition. Only real down side for me is if I ever need to call them now that I am a customer. Their phone system routes you all over the places and it is almost impossible to get to a human quickly and often times you get disconnected our routed to departments other than what you choose. I swear they hope you give up. That said, I've only had to call them twice in the past 2 years. And one note, the installers I've dealt with have been great.

Comments:

Review by Dogg See Profile

• Location: Belleville,Saint Clair,IL
Good "Good speed, very reliable"
Bad "none"
Overall "Good service with great reliability"

Tech arrived on time and install took less than 1 hour. He ran a new cable from the pole to the house, and then a new cable to my computer room. I asked him not to install the Charter software and he left it off. Computer has been up and running great since.

Only outage was last month after major thunderstorms and tornadoes thrashed our area.

I have the 1500/128 GOLD package and I am getting every bit of the pipe and then some.

My only complaint is news service. Retention was only 2-3 days in some groups and download speed is limited to 128. However, in the last month or so, retention has increased to about 21 days.
**NOTE** my price is after a discount for also having digital cable tv service

Just thought that I should note that I've had this service for almost 3 years

Service is still very reliable and fast. I now have the 3000/256 package

I now have the 5M/512 package. d/l speeds are very good. Reliability has NOT been an issue for me, with the exception of a 2 day period of slowness during the 3M to 5M conversion.

EDIT: I've been on the 10M/1M package for the last year or so. Aside from a prolonged outage which was a result of the severe ice storm that struck the midwest last winter, I have had no outages. Even during the one outage, my Charter service was restored before my electricity. Overall I have been very pleased with my service and if my price drops as the result of the new 16M service I will be extremely happy.

UPDATE: Currently on the 16/2 package. Reliability has been exceptional. The last major outage was several years ago as noted in the EDIT above. Speed results are consistently in the 15/2 range.

UPDATE: Service was currently upgraded to the new 25/3 package. After upgrading my modem from an old Motorola 4102 to the new Motorola 6102, I am speed testing at 30/3.5. No other performance or trouble issues to note.

UPDATE: Now on the 60/5 plan. Been using this tier for approx. 2 months now. Speeds are good and testing shows avg. 62/5.4. Service has been reliable with no issues.

UPDATE: Was using the 100/5 package and downgraded to the 30/4 package.

UPDATE: Speeds were upgraded to 60/4 and consistently test at those speeds. No issues to report.

member for 10.8 years, 1431 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by GvilleDSL See Profile

• Location: Greenville,Greenville,SC
Good "Fastest speeds in town. Stable. Low ping times. Channel Bonding"
Bad "$54/month for lowest tier. Only 4mbps upload. Upload channel bonding needed"
Overall "I wish they would offer a lower tier package or implement channel bonding on upload speeds"

*3/18/14 UPDATE* Charter has finished updating my area to completely being all digital so they were able to increase(double) the download speeds from 30mbps to 60mbps for no additional cost. From what i've read they have added more TV channels as well but i dont have their TV service so i cant confirm that. Due to this speed boost ill increase my score for value for money slightly.

*3/15/13 UPDATE* Charter has made some poor moves in my opinion over the last few months by getting rid of their online customer support on these forums which helped me greatly in the past. Also they have decided to remove the lower tier service of 15/3 for the budget minded and replaced it with 30/4 for roughly $50/month. The only other current speed tier is 100mb which is quite a bit more. Even though 30/4 @ $50/month is still a better value over their rivals in Uverse in my area, it still is a poor price-for-performance ratio. I really hope they either offer a lower budget tier again or perhaps get channel bonding for their upload speeds going soon and can offer some sort of symmetrical speed tiers even at lower speeds...IE 10/10 or 20/20 for a decent price of $40 or less. Overall i have reduced my score for Charter in this review for value and tech support as both have suffered greatly in the changes that have been made.

*2/4/11 UPDATE* Charter has increased my speed from 8mb down to 12mb free of charge. This is a 50% increase....thanks Charter

*11/17/10 UPDATE* Channel bonding now enabled in my area. Thanks Charter!

*5/15/10 UPDATE* Recently downgraded my service from 25/3 to 8/1 since my promotion has run out. I signed a 24 month contract for $29/month which im very happy with considering these are the speeds im getting: »www.speedtest.net/result/815607186.png

Raised the "Value for money" to a 5 as this is the best deal in town by far.

*3/1/10 UPDATE* Charter upgraded speeds though out their tiers for free so now im receiving 25/3 instead of 20/2. So i decided to up their "Value for money" 1 more star. I'm still very happy with the service but the price after the 6 month discount still maybe a bit steep for me so ill probably drop down to 8/1 or 16/2 depending on a negotiated price point. Keep up the good work Charter.

Some history first. Ive had Charter twice before in the past 4 years or so. Twice at 2 different apartments and once at my current home. All 3 times there were issues and eventually switched to AT&T's DSL service in my home. Had DSL for about 2 years then started having issues which could not be resolved by AT&T so i made the decision to drop them and give Charter another try.

I signed up for the 20/2 plan for $55/month(Current 6 month offer)+ $10 for stand alone service(as i already have Direct TV for TV). I decided to buy a modem rather then rent one so i bought a Motorola SB 6120(incase my area is upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0 in the future). The install date came and the installer showed up right on time. I informed him i already had Direct TV and it was using all the existing coaxial cable in the house and he would have to run a new coaxial from outside to the modem inside. He ended up running the cable around the back of the house and bringing it in through the side of the house into the den. I thought it would require more but he did the job extremely fast and did a great job. He registered the modem and tested the connection and all was working. He told me the signal level was perfect since the new coaxial cable was a straight shot to where the service enters the house.

After he left i decided to hook up my Linksys WRT54GS router and noticed i was not getting the speed i was getting w/o the router. After some research i found out the router had issues with switching from 10mbps to 100mbps. It would not allow anything over 10mbps but i never noticed it before as my previous DSL connection was only 6 mbps. I decided to replace the router with a gigabit router so i got a D Link DIR 655. After that i had no issues at all. My DL speed is usually closer to 30 Mbps(mostly 2.5-3.2 MB/sec) and my upload is always 2 Mbps...even during prime time hours. Ping times are low and stable. Charter is routed up the east coast for me so the routing is slightly different then AT&T which goes through the South East(ATL).

As for the future, im hoping Charter will upgrade my area to DOCSIS 3.0 speeds but time will only tell. Their only competition in my area is AT&T's UVerse which is still in limited areas and offers slightly slower speeds compared to Charter's 20mbps plan, but im sure that will change in time as well. After the promotion runs out i may downgrade my speed to 10/2 as my only complaint is $80/month is a bit much for my broadband needs. So far however, im very impressed with Charter's improvement in my area and im happy with my service. Ill update if things are to change in the future.

member for 4.4 years, 675 visits, last login: a few hours ago