Charter page on DSLReports

Review by B4Knight See Profile

• Location: Colon,Saint Joseph,MI
Good "Consistent Speed, Pretty Reliable, Customer Service Has Been Good"
Bad "Upload Speed Is Lacking"
Overall "Overall Its Been Great, But YMMV"

Became a Charter HSI only customer in June or July of 2011 and started on the 15Mbps/3Mbps plan @ $29.99/month for 12 months. I bought my own modem which was a Motorola SB6120 (now using a SB6121) to avoid Charters then $5 modem rental fee. After the year promo had ended I think the price went to $45.99/month. Sometime in late 2012 early 2013 I was offered a chance to upgrade to Charter's 30Mbps/4Mbps plan @ $54.99/month which I am currently still on and speeds are always consistent with what was advertised. I suspect that the consistency is due to living in a small town connected to a node which has little to no congestion.

Install was quick, tech (local contractor) showed up on time and didn't have to do a whole lot inside besides reroute some of the existing wiring that was installed prior to us living in this house.

We've had I'd say about 8 outages since I've had the service and most of them were weather/power outage related. The first time I ever had to have a tech come out was towards the middle of Feb. 2014 due to squirrels damaging my drop line causing moisture to build up in it.

August 6th, 2014 - Service is still excellent. Still waiting for Charter Spectrum to be available. I have a feeling it will happen soon.

August 7th, 2014 - Spectrum Internet has gone live! Getting around 60 Mbps/4 Mbps and PowerBoost/Traffic Shaping is no longer active.

September 4th, 2014 - Added Spectrum Voice (Home Phone) for $29.99 and the lady put me on a new promo. I'm getting both Charter Spectrum Internet 60/4 and Spectrum Voice for $59.98/12 months. My POTS bill with Clear Rate Communications (CLEC in Frontier Territory) was around $60/month. I can get two services for the price of one now. Even after the promotion ends in 12 months it goes to $69.98/month which is still a good deal in my opinion.

Install is set for September 12th between 8AM-10AM. I guess that's the earliest they could get a technician to install the service, they must have a heavy workload right now. Seems like a long time, but I can wait.

September 12th, 2014 - Contractor arrived to install Spectrum voice. He arrived right around 8 AM and was finished in about an hour. He installed the phone on a separate coaxial line and mounted an Arris TM822A D3 Telephony Modem onto one of the beams in my basement. The coax for the internet and telephone run into a Atronix 2-Way Vertical Splitter and then out to the house box and so on. I opted to not get the battery backup right now as I have a cell phone. I know that E-911 location services don't work as well with cell phones, but I don't really care much about that right now. I can always add it in the future or buy my own UPS and do it myself.

Call clarity is just as good, if not slightly better than I had with my old POTS line. So no complaints there.

All in all it was a positive experience and I'm saving quite a bit of money now by bundling my internet and phone together.

member for 178 days, 269 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

cpsf856

@169.145.3.x

Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

I am on day 3 of charter service. The reason that I moved off of Verizon to Charter was when I tried hooking up my apple TV to verizon DSL I was seeing 6 hour download times. After doing a little research I found that for $5 more a month I can try Charter. It came with a 12 month commitment, which is sub optimal but I figured give it a shot because as of now Apple TV is useless.

So the review - internet is faster, can download / stream content from anywhere instantly. I am amazed at how fast the download speed is. I hope the service stays as consistent over the course of 12 months. For now, moving from Verizon appears to be a good move.
B4Knight
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI
·Charter

Re: Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

12 month commitment? Charter did away with contracts and commitments years ago.. Maybe they still offer them to people who want to lock in a lower rate, most likely bundled. They do have a 30 or 60 day money back guarentee though.

Charter is the only cable provider in my town and Frontier offers DSL with a maximum speed of 6mbps download and around 1Mbps upload. A few of my neighbors had Frontier and could only pull about 3Mbps download even during off peak hours. So for me Charter was a no brainer as Frontier would never meet my needs. Welcome to Charter and I hope your experience is just as good as mine has been for the past 2+ years

BinaryXtreme

join:2013-07-04
Sparks, NV

Re: Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

I'm on a 12 month commitment. I am bundled but neighbor isn't. He's on a 12 month commitment as well.

Review by Serpardum See Profile

• Location: Long Beach,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Excellant internet"
Bad "Give me past disconnect notice when my bill isn't due"
Overall "Another great company ruined by business practices."

Excellent service. When I ordered for July I asked when the bill would be do. They told me it would be made on the 21st or so but wouldn't be due 'til the beginning of the month. So on August 4th I paid the $60 ($40 + $20 install) for a bill that was over $100.

On 7/31/2014 I got a disconnect notice from them. I asked why they told me my bill was past due. I talked to supervisor, same thing. I told them when I registered for this server I was on disability and I got my checks on the 3rd and made sure it wouldn't be a problem. Now it's a problem. And the lady says she's never heard of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

So, yeah, don't use unless you like being abused.

Comments:

Review by OpTiC See Profile

• Location: Temple City,Los Angeles,CA
Good "clear tv picture quality "
Bad "lots of problems with scientific alanta box"
Overall "Best option for TV if Uverse or Fios isn't available"

May 2011- I recently moved to a Time Warner cable area. So I disconnected my Charter services

July 2010-My promo ended for expanded basic with basic channels. Now I'm paying 67.99 with tax.

June 2009- My promo ended for expanded basic with basic channels, but luckly I get the promo renewed

May 2007- I signed up for Charter TV services the plan I signed up for is expanded basic with basic channels. I received the Scientific Atlanta 2000 cable box.

==============================================================

In the end, they are a decent choice an area with very little to no other choices, except MAYBE At&t Uverse.

member for 191 days, 218 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI

Best option if Uverse isn't available...

Have you tried Uverse TV? I've seen it first-hand and know a few people who have it. It's a mixed-bag for sure.

anonymous103

crap

Charter has nothing but issues. Disappointed to the max. Horrible internet telephone and television service. Don't recommend charter anything to anyone, by far the worst customer service ever. The technicians aren't anything special either.
OpTiC

join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

Re: crap

Now I have Time Warner Cable which is alot better than charter. I hope I won't be transferred to Charter after the Comcast TWC merger due to older equipment.
surferwoman

join:2014-04-23
Hesperia, CA

Unburied Cable

I was digging in my yard trying to get it looking good. All of a sudden I unearthed a cable belonging to Charter. It was real close to the surface. It goes all across my yard. My neighbor said Charter didn't bury the cable deep enough. I called Charter and they were supposed to come out to bury it but they never did. I keep tripping on it. I don't know what to do. It is ruining my plans for my yard.

dataice
join:2002-10-27
Crisfield, MD
·Verizon Online DSL
·Charter

Re: Unburied Cable

A quick pass with your lawnmower will take care of that rather effectively. I know it's a last resort. They will come out when whoever that cable supplies services to calls to report an outage. Charter did the same thing at my last residence. Ran a cable across my back yard just a few inches below the surface to my next door neighbor.

I complained for over a year and finally after I ran over it with my lawnmower Charter had no choice but to come out and bury it deeper. It helps if you are home when the technician comes so you can monitor his work. There is no reason why you or anyone else should have to live with that. Good luck.

NEFiredog

@catholicmutual.org

Charter Communications

I live in an area that only allows a single cable television provider by franchise with the local town government. Our cable system has been sold twice over the last 20 years, and we now have Charter Communications. By far, this is the worst company I have ever been forced to deal with. Their customer service is non-existent, if there is a problem with the signal it is always my fault, and the absolute worse issue is the closest walk in office to my home is over 80 miles away. My money is good enough to purchase their crappy cable service, but not good enough to provide me reasonable location for a walk in office to exchange set top box, pick up a replacement remote, or easy access to an area manager to express my complaints to.

Recently, over three billing cycles, we got a notice in our monthly bill that we were about to get CBS Sports Channel. This is great because a couple of programs I like to watch moved to this channel and a local college basketball team is sometimes broadcast over this channel. I even checked with the CBS Sports website and my zip code as listed as getting CBS Sports. When, after 8 months, we never got the channel, I called Charter. First, they said we should be getting it and they would have a tech check it out. Never heard anything, so called back a few days later, same response. Then I get a message that we are not getting the channel. So I call again, ask why we are not getting it, the rep said we were never scheduled to get the channel. But, I said, we got a notice that we are to get it. Then we get a sorry, you are not getting it. I ask for a supervisor, I get one and I asked why we were not getting a channel we were told are to get. No answer, sorry, just not to get it. Not a happy person here. I have reported my displeasure with their service to their corporate office with very little results. I have now asked my local town government to seek bids for other cable providers. I will see where that goes.
lynneblack

join:2001-12-14
Reno, NV

lots of regret for switching to Charter

I had Directv for the past 6 years and it was great but after the first year, the bill would go up every few months and when I would call about it I would get some lame excuse and an offer to save a few $ a month if I renewed or extended my contract. I had Ooma for phone service and it was great. But since I had Charter internet for the past year and it's been very fast and rock solid I bit when they came at me with an offer to save me $40 a month if I switched my TV and phone service to them.

That was a month ago, no one showed up for the first appt., and when a contractor showed up the next day two of the three DVR's he installed didn't work, but he left knowing they didn't work and two of the three remotes had coffee stains and what looked like dried snot on them. It took over a week and four or five service calls to get three functional DVR's and replacement remotes, but I had to wait another week for the phone because someone forgot to port my number. Two weeks ago they install the phone and I instantly had buyers remorse, you need to call in to activate forwarding (or deactivate it) and when I did that I found out that not all of my calls were being forwarded to my cell- some of them were just 'lost'. I called back to disable it, that took 2 days and three calls. I decided that since call forwarding was a failure I had better set up voice mail- well, you have to call in to enable voice mail too and now, 48 hours since that call when I dial my number on the phone to set up voice mail all I get is a busy signal.

I had Charter years ago and I should have learned my lesson, nothing much has changed. The DVRs are awful, you can record two shows but not watch a third, and unless you react to the onscreen message that prompts you to switch to one of the shows being recorded it automatically quits recording one of the programs. The DVR menu is awful, just awful. The quality is very good since they went all digital, but the problems with the equipment and abysmal support don't make up for what is now an acceptable HD signal.

As far as the phone - Both Vonage and Ooma allow you to enable or disable both forwarding and voicemail through their web interface, including the ability to configure simulring which allows your phone to always ring to another phone at the same time. Charter never heard of simulring =/ I'm just plain depressed about this, I sold my Ooma device before realizing how bad the features are with Charter phone and am thinking about buying another one and porting my number back to Ooma and just using Charter for faxing which by the way works far better than Ooma or Vonage.

But their internet rocks, they just went from 30-60 and I have never had it go down for more than 10 minutes and that has only happened a few times.

carolo

@24.236.209.x

I am awestruck

I ditched my ATT DSL two weeks ago and switched to Charter. It used to take 40 minutes to download a game. Now it takes TWO minutes!

carolo

@24.236.209.x

Plus.........

And about the "awful" service? ATT put my phone on vacation for some reason. I got mad, stopped in to Charters, and they had me hooked up (phone and internet) 4 hours later! I already had TV.

Review by kherr See Profile

• Location: Collinsville,Madison,IL
Good "Good speed, Good HD"
Overall "Services rendered as advertised"

After an installation glitch, speed has been as advertised (30/4). The CS rep asked what I did to troubleshoot connection, and didn't make me to Power down, unplug, etc., etc. etc. like a drone reading from a script. and went right to what she needed, to actually watch the modem reboot (told to unplug and wait 20 sec.). She immediately saw a problem and scheduled a service call. Two days later problem was found (missing a filter for the whole house DVR that installer forgot) and have been flying since. After I ordered service, getting rid of ATT DSL I asked neighbor if he had Charter and what he thought. When he said that it was slow, my heart stopped and thought "Oh no, congestion!!. The TV does fine although when recording late night I have found more than once the "Emergency Network Test" has interrupted at bad times ....

When I got my Tivos I had a Pro install from the beginning. It took 2 days but when they sent the supervisor the second day he ripped out the previous wiring muttering something like “don’t these people read the instructions ….”, replaced the drop, installed an amp, and redid the wiring connecting to the splitter. He said that it didn’t have a chance the way they had wired it and said “heads will roll”. They’ve been working ever since. If I ever get another one I’ll spend the $20 and have them do it again.

Update :

Spectrum went active and now the speeds are 100/4 in the St. Louis market for the base package. With TV and HSI it is $125 now that my package expired. Still rock solid with only a less than a day outage.

member for 14 years, 4687 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Nick8961 See Profile

• Location: Birmingham,Jefferson,AL
Good "When i am not having connection issues the service and speed is outstanding for the price."
Bad "I have been dealing with connection issues for the last few months due to congestion which has really caused a headache for me."
Overall "Great service when connection is great."

I have the 30/4 package which is rumored to be upgraded to 60/4 in coming weeks. I average around 25 - 30 down when everything is working correctly. However, from November 13 to February 14 I dealt with horrid speed issues where my internet would drop to .75 mbps but upload stayed between 3 - 4 mbps. Once it was fixed I didn't have any issues until recently woth there switch to all digital got delayed in Trussville and seemed to cause the issue again.

Comments:

Review by robewhitener See Profile

• Location: Asheville,Buncombe,NC
Good "Very fast, good solid connection. 60mbps now"
Bad "Incompetent unprofessional installer"
Overall "Whoever Charter subcontracts to for the Asheville/Buncombe Area was awful. You'll end up doing all the work."

I recently purchased a new home, and had to transfer my service. The home was new construction, in a subdivision with underground utilities. I made the arrangements with Charter for an install, and made it understood that they had to bury the cable from the connection to the home. The appointment was made, with no problems. I think that in this area, Charter subcontracts cable installers, so this may not be on Charter, as much except for the subcontractor they chose for this area. The installer who came out, complained that our insulation was too thick, drilled 4 holes in my floor for one cable, because when he drilled the first one, he "couldn't find it..". He tore down 10 feet of my insulation to drill said hole(s). My wife had to show him how to plug in the brand new cable modem, because he told her that he couldn't make it work. Meanwhile, from walking in the house without checking his shoes, he tracked red clay mud through my home to the two bedrooms for the install, and the living room. (Thank god I have wood floors...). He hooked up the three cable boxes, and didn't hang around to see if they did anything other than power on. I had to call the activation line to set all three boxes, and ended up having to go to the local office to trade one defective box back. For some reason, Charter, or he installer, wouldn't use the equipment we brought from the old residence, so all boxes and modems from the old residence were in a box. The installer refused to take three boxes and a cable modem back. (minor thing. I could live with that..). They were also supposed to bury that cable, with the understanding that the driveway paver was supposed to come out within a day to do their job. He said he didn't have time to bury it, or to call someone to come bury it. I've still got an orange cable stretching across the yard, and am having to reschedule my driveway paving, because said cable strings across the drive, when he could have moved it 10 feet to the left, by using longer cable with less tension.

Done with my rant with the install. Now on to the service.

My speed tests are showing that I'm getting 45-52mbps download on my 60mbps connection, and about 6mbps upload. Not really that bad. I can be watching Netflix in the living room, my daughter can be streaming music, and my wife can be skyping with my other daughter without any major stutters. We currently have 3 computers, 4 smartphones, a Nintendo WII, a kindle fire, a couple of tablets and an XBOX 360 on-line when we're home, and so far, there is no problem.

I love the service, but absolutely hated the install process.

update 12/24/2014 Charter sent out a crew to bury my cable yesterday. Those guys did a bang up job, and even laid the area they dug back over with the hay. I'll have to re-seed it, but no problem there.

member for 13.2 years, 2546 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by tscotty See Profile

• Location: Saint Charles,Saint Charles,MO
Good "Fast, reliable, and works well connecting to work via vpn."
Bad "none."
Overall "I have had cable service in another city with another provider but this works so much better. Very Happy."

7/23/2014

I now have Charter Business Pro80 plan as I have removed the Ultra100 plan from my account. When the Pro80 plan was installed a few months ago they ran a new coax from the pedestal to the house and that improved the speeds a little. With the business plan there are no caps and they allow you to host servers on your network. I get 1 static IP with my plan and pay $130 per month. I just read on dslreports that on July 29th, 2014 the Pro80 plan will become the Pro150 plan with no cost increase. Downtime has been 0 except when the hard drive on my linux firewall died. I also have to mention that support is excellent with the business plan as you always get in touch with someone that speaks english and can talk tech.

08/31/2013

Charter Ultra100 is still working great. Total cost went down and they provided the modem (Moto6141). I am now getting 8 data streams and always getting 102/5.2 speeds. It works great for my needs.

05/21/2012

I still have Ultra100 and am very happy with it. No downtime since it was installed and I always get a 100/5 speed. I am still very happy with the service.

11/16/2011

Yesterday Charter upgraded my ultra60 service to Ultra100 in my area for free. I now get 102 down and 5.2 up. I have had great service with Charter with still 0 downtime. Other cable companies I've had have not been this good. My neighborhood has mostly Uverse customers so my node isn't oversold. I ended up purchasing the DOCSIS 3 Ubee modem they installed in the start for $49 and it has worked great. I think part of the reason the service is working well is because the previous owners of my house had it re-wired with high quality coax cable. I lived in apartment before this house and had charter and had nothing but modem sync problems but the cabling there was poor at best.

--------------------------------------old review below-------------------

I've had charter for over four months and had 0 downtime. Service has been great since the install. The installer wasn't able to answer my questions I had about the Ultra 60 service and he was in and out quick. I am technical so I had no problems getting things going the way I wanted using my wireless router. I ordered the Ultra 60 combo with phone and basic cable. We have 8 computers going non-stop in our house and Charter has been great with no slowdowns and a consistent 60Mbps even in the evening. We watch 90% of our tv over the internet (network and netflix) so the cable service isn't used much. The home phone works well with several handy features like three-way calling and more. Our house is 17 years old and has good wiring for cable so maybe that's why we have had such good luck. We used to have uverse but for internet this beats it hands down. I would recommend Charter to a friend.

member for 9.2 years, 3629 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jopfef See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis,MO
Good "Awesome internet speed, and it's rock solid."
Bad "Dropped the TV service after the TV died...."
Overall "Can't beat the speed!"

·Vonage
7-16-14: I'm still living in my little house in the woods, and still have Charter. About two weeks ago, Charter did a massive speed upgrade to everyone. I now have a blazing 100 megs in download speed, and still a miserable 5 megs in upload speed; Charter really needs to boost their upload speeds to 10-12 megs. The download speed is incredible! Works like a charm, once I got a new modem from Charter; my original Cisco modem was several years old, had been cutting out intermittently, and the new modem took care of that problem for me. No dropped signals since I installed the new modem. Still have to box up the dying Cisco modem and send it back to Charter, so that I don't get charged for it. Very happy with the new speeds!

********************************************************************************************************************

5-1-14: I'm still living in my little house in the woods, and still have Charter -- but internet service only now. I couldn't continue to justify the increasing cost of the TV service, so dropped it in favor of a Roku HD box to use with my Amazon Prime account. (And yes, the internet service went way up in price, for just having a single service.) I now stream my cop shows via the internet, so haven't really lost out on anything. Planning on purchasing an OTA antenna next month, so that I can pick up the local channels for the news and weather. I still have great internet speeds, and I do NOT miss paying the huge Charter TV bill every month. Unless something really drastic happens, I will probably never sign up for TV service again; it's just a waste of money for me, since I'm not a big TV watcher.

9-20-13: Yes, I still live in my little house in the woods, and I still have my Charter services. I'm on a fixed income now, so dropped the 100 megs for the internet to the 30megs; funny part was that I didn't see that big a change, but it saved me a boatload of money! TV is still just the Select service; all I ever watch are my cop shows, so it's not worth paying for anything else. No DVR box, just an HD box. I don't ever have any problems with internet speed; I have the tap in my back yard, and usually run at 40-45 megs. *grin* Sometimes there is pixelating on the TV, but not any internet issues. Still happy with my services, but am seriously considering trying an antenna and going OTA; not sure it will work with all the trees around here -- but I am on the top of a hill. That remains to be seen on trying it; it would save some money, but the increase in price for just internet makes me think it might not be worth it.

AT&T has been sending me a bunch of literature in the mail lately, but I'm not interested at all. They don't even come close to the internet speed that Charter provides, so I'm not changing.

2-10-2013: I still live in my little house in the woods, and still have my Charter services. Unfortunately, I'm retired now, so have to shell out for Charter, so that's a bite in the butt; services are NOT cheap. I'm spoiled with the 100 megs for the internet so will continue to pay for it, but dropped my TV down to just the Select service; all I ever watch are my cop shows, so it's not worth paying for anything else. Also got rid of the DVR box and now have just an HD box; no sense in paying for those services either. Had yet another round with the bad signals a couple of weeks ago, along with pixelating on the TV. A Charter tech working outside informed me that there was an issue with all the wiring up here on the hill. Took them all day, but they have the problem resolved now, and all is well again.

7-15-2012: Still living in my little house in the woods, and still have my Charter services. Still running at 100 megs, although the squirrels did finally do in the line running down the pole a couple of weeks ago. A wonderful tech named Danny came out and replaced the line, it's buried to the house once again, and my service is back running at blasting speeds again! Just internet and TV, as usual, and I've actually watched TV a little bit more lately. With the Olympics about to debut, I know I'll have the TV on alot more while that's going on, particularly the Equestrian part. Looking forward to kicking back and watching things in London! Very happy with my Charter services!

12-7-2011: Pearl Harbor Day! 70 years ago, this year. Wow.... No change in the housing situation, and still no change in my Charter services. Just internet and TV, and am happy with both, even though I don't turn on the TV that often. I've had a running battle with the squirrels this year though! Four tech visits this year so far, due to the little buggers chewing the line where it runs down the pole and gets buried to the house. Too bad I can't discharge a weapon within the county limits! I gave myself a birthday present this year and upgraded to the 60 megs -- WOW!!! And then, unbeknownst to me, down the pike came the upgrades, so I'm blasting along at 100 megs now!!! Speedtest from from the head end has me at 98 megs, and Speedtest dot net has me at 89.7 megs -- can't beat that with a big stick! *grin* Very happy with my Charter internet, and my TV, on the rare occasions that I turn it on.

3-9-2011: No change in the housing situation, and no change in my Charter services. Still have the internet and TV services, and still not much of a TV watcher, even though I have all the services as a Charter employee. Maybe one of these days. *grin* I'm an avid computer junkie and put the internet service to plenty of good use, and thoroughly enjoy having my 25 megs here at home. One of these days I might actually consider making the jump to Ultra. Who knows???

5-26-2010: Still living in the little house in the woods on top of a very big hill -- and Charter is still my provider, since I'm an employee. I got the auto-upgrade to 25 megs, and now have a ubee Docsis 3.0 modem installed here; leasing it from Charter until prices come down a bit, and then I'll purchase my own. I was having a problem with slow speeds, until I got smart and changed the DNS servers; running like a scared rabbit now! *grin* Still have just the TV and the internet service, and I should probably dump the TV connection; even with a nice flat-panel here, I hardly ever watch TV. And still using my BlackBerry phone so don't need a house phone.

11-17-2009: Moved this fall, to a little house in the woods on top of a very big hill -- and had Charter re-installed the day I moved in. Install tech looked at the outside line after he couldn't get a good signal, said it was badly damaged, and then saw the squirrels running around in the trees. *grin* He immediately ran a new line and arranged to have it buried this time, to prevent any more damage from my friendly little "neighbors". Bury crew was here the next day, and no problems with any connections at all. Still have just the TV and the internet service; not paying for phone service as I pay a ton of money every month to have my BlackBerry phone and need it more than I need a house phone. Still running at 20 megs with no problems, and very happy to have the service on top of this hill; wasn't sure Charter was up here when I moved, but happy that they are!

5-5-2009: Still have Charter cable installed, and still working for Charter. The only problem I've had was a 9-day delay in getting the outside line put back up when a boom truck went by and pulled it down (had the boom partway up). Due to the stupidity of the person who took my call, the work order was entered incorrectly, and it took NINE DAYS for a tech to get out here and restring it. Once that was done, no problems.

I'm now running at 20 megs, and it's great! Today, just for fun, I installed Windows 7 RC 1, and it's running on Charter. Way better than Vista, and my laptop is hitting top speeds now. Very pleased with that, and will probably upgrade when the final release comes out.

9-23-2008: Well, it's back to Charter cable for services again. I moved in June, and the DSL that was available here absolutely sucked on speed. So out the door with it. I'm a Charter employee, so had the TV and the internet installed, and it's running just fine. I jumped to 16 megs for the internet, and it's awesome! AT&T doesn't have anything close to that, needless to say. The only problem I had was when a boom truck drove by with its boom up, and snagged both the Charter line and the electrical line coming into my house. Utility company was here in less than 30 minutes. Even with all my ranting and raving, it still took Charter NINE days to get the line put back up. Disgraceful.

9-13-2007: I'm still gone from Charter, but that will probably change within the next few months. I'm in the process of looking for a home to purchase, and depending on the availability of cable being there, plan to have Charter installed again. It'll be free this time around -- it's one of the perks of being an employee. *grin* I find it quite humorous that my current living situation dictates that even though I work for Charter, I have AT&T DSL at home. I did just upgrade to the 6 megs on the DSL, to see if it's any good; I'll know when the new modem gets here -- I'm running the DSL here on an old 5360!

I'm NOT a fan of the bundle setup that Charter is offering. I don't own a television, haven't owned one in years, and see no need to own one. I also don't need a phone, since I depend exclusively on my cell phone. The phone line here is used strictly for the DSL line; there isn't even a phone hooked up to it. So I don't know how that will fall out if and when it comes time to install Charter again. Time will tell!

It's been awhile since I posted an update and there have been some changes, so here goes. I'm gone from Charter even though I loved the speeds that I got; very consistent, as tested with the tools here at DSLR. I was on a special rate at Charter for the last several years. Not only did I lose that rate ($26/month), but I went straight from it to the new rate of $58/month -- and that's just for Internet service!!! I don't have cable TV here, so that was just too rich for my blood. Called Charter and cancelled the service, effective the day of the new rate hike, and called AT&T and ordered DSL.

My Linksys BEFCMU10 modem is packed away for another day. I'm currently house-shopping, and it will most likely be put to use again after I move. For the time being, I'm using an old Speedstream 5360 that I had lying around here; it does the job admirably well, and is hooked to my Linksys router before branching out to my systems.

I was very unhappy with the massive increase in price with Charter. I still think they have the best speed in town, although I'm not at all interested in their 6meg offering. I am sad to depart from them, but have to do what's best financially right now. I think those prices for naked internet are ridiculous. :-(

member for 13.4 years, 5782 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by the1skate See Profile

• Location: Sanford,Lee,NC
Good "Highest speeds available in my area"
Bad "Scheduled down times not announced to customers OR tech support."
Overall "Pretty good now that issues have been worked out."

I have the 30/4 package. I got the package at 29.99 a month for 1 year. Now with loyalty discount it is 34.99 a month.

Ordering was real easy. It only took 3 days for a technician to come out and remove the traps on my line.

I was given a SMCD3GN wireless modem (tech said was an upgrade from their regular modem due to issues I had in the past) for a more stable internet connection.

My experiences with Charter have been a VERY mixed bag.
When it works properly my internet is rocket fast and rarely goes down.
However, here are a few of my bad experiences with them:
1. Four years ago I temporarily left Charter because some idiot in their tech support kept trying to tell me my internet was down because "No one has internet right now. The entire
internet is down sir. It's not our fault".
2. I once had a script reader try to tell me that my 30/4 package was working just fine because he could ping my modem and I could get on the internet. Sure my speed was only
0.8/0.2, but I could get on so it must be working right
3. Currently my internet only works at advertised speeds on weekdays until about 4 PM. From that time until 5:30 PM my speed steadily drops. From 5:30 until 11:00 PM my typical
speeds are between 2/2 to 0.3/0.2. After 11 PM my speeds steadily climb back up until reaching my normal 30/4 around 12 midnight. Pretty much all weekend my speeds are
between 6/4 and 2/1 until around 11-12 PM Sunday night.
A. I have been told by someone that was supposed to be a regional supervisor that new equipment for my area was coming online no later than 15 Jan 2014 and that all my
problems should go away. We will see.
IF Charter improves their service I will update this review to reflect that.

UPDATE:
As of 1 May 2014 Charter finally got the equipment updated in my area and went to 8 channel bonding instead of 4.
My internet speeds are as advertised (60Mbps) at least 90% of the time or better now.
Their tech support is still lacking, as you have to get to a tier 2 tech to get anyone but a script reader that knows absolutely nothing about computers. This can be difficult since the tier 1 support don't want to transfer you until you insist.

Comments:

chrtrfanboy

@charter.com

fair warning: This site is generally a telecom fanboy site

I live in Bay City MI, and happen to have similar issues with my charter Internet connection. every 3rd day at about 3PM there are connectivity issues. The modem connects to the Charter network just fine, but I cannot do anything with it as it takes about 5 minutes to DL one web page. I can't even connect to the Ookla speed test 'cause the flash plugin times out. I probably won't even be able to post this comment. It comes back at about 8 AM the next day.

There is NO POINT in calling tech support. I am tired of hearing from the Charter fanboys, you know, the ones writing all of the glowing reviews with the periodic updates (as mandated by their employer) on this forum?

I got a nice card in the mail from AT&T yesterday. U-Verse is finally available (after 3 years) in my (inside the city limits) area. I am thinking of trying it, or Speednet LLC. Yes, there is finally competition. BTW: I have had 5 MB Down and 512k Up for about 10 freaking years. You would think that they would upgrade it at some point, yes? Of course not. Per the NYT atricle today, I DO NOT have "high speed" Internet access. I guess, even though I live within the city limits, I am still a hill-billy. Thanks Charter.
wispalord

join:2007-09-20
Farmington, MO

Re: fair warning: This site is generally a telecom fanboy site

I had same issue but since im business they fixed it in a week they had to spiit the node they over sold it they care less about residential there is little to no money in it business class is way better I have direct email to techs and billing never really have a issue

chrtrfanboy

finally got to Ookla

it took 10 mins to run this, and it didn't finish. See attached image.... Never mind it won't upload. It shows 1225 ms ping, 0.03 Mpbs Down, and 0 Mpbs Up.

So mad

@myvzw.com

Charter sucks

From the A to Z charter sucks. I have schedule to hook the service at 1 they show at 5 just to tell me that they can't hook it up. I should stay with AT&T

Review by cross12095 See Profile

• Location: Hillsboro,Lawrence,AL
Good "Free Modem, Speed Increases, Internet Security, Epix HD, No Contracts, Low Promo Pricing, and Fast & Stable Service."
Bad "Have to cancel service every year to keep promo price, Fixing things sometimes take a few days, Usage Caps, "
Overall "Charter is a great choice when compared to their main competition (AT&T)"

Charter is the best choice for internet service in North Alabama especially when compared to their main competitor AT&T with their slow DSL and limited deployment of U-verse.

Overall I am happy with my internet service from Charter and I wouldn't switch over to AT&T even if I could. I am sure glad that Charter doesn't take advantage of the fact that I live in a rural area and they are the only truly viable internet provider that that provides internet service to me as AT&T only services cities while Charter goes beyond city limits into rural areas like mine. I wouldn't even dream of trying satellite internet, if Charter didn't service my area I would not have internet at all!

The main thing I do hate about Charter is that they won't allow me to keep my $29.99 promo price after the 12 months are up. The standard pricing is $54.99 for 30 megs and the lowest the retention department has ever offered me after my promo is up is $39.99 a month for the life of the account but I refuse to pay anything more than $35! So what I end up doing after my promo is up is I cancel my service, wait 30 days and sign up again to receive the $29.99 pricing again. I do have to pay a $29.99 installation fee when I do this but I recoup my loss after only 3 months by only paying $29.99 a month instead of $39.99.

So if you live in North Alabama and thinking about getting Charter as your internet provider I say go for it!

First the good stuff about Charter.
No Contracts
Fast Installation of your services.
Low Promotional Pricing for internet service. - $29.99 a month for 12 months for their 30 Mbps service
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee* - If you don't like their services within the first 30 days you get your money back.
Service Experience Guarantee* - Techs will arrive during the scheduled appointment window and complete their service or else you get a $20 credit.
Reliability Guarantee* - If you are without service for more than 24 hours you get a $20 credit
Service Disruption Credit* - For every day you are without service you get a daily credit. (This amount depends on your bill, excluding tax) For example on the $29.99 internet service it is a daily credit of 99¢
*Please note that you have to call and request these credits as they are not automatically applied to your bill.*
Free modem
Free speed increases when their network has the capability/capacity to do so.
Free internet security so no more buying internet security/antivirus/antimalware for your computers.
Free subscription to the Epix HD streaming service even when you don't subscribe to their cable service.

Now the the things Charter needs to work on.
Remove or increase usage caps. - 100GB for Internet Lite & Express, 250GB for Internet Plus & Max, 500GB for Internet Ultra.
(Even with all the downloading, streaming, voip, & web browsing I do, I have never received anything from Charter indicating I've exceeded my usage caps or having them threatening to cut service. So unless you are running a business, running servers, or pirating stuff you should be ok.)
Prices after your promotion ends are outrages, they should allow you to keep the promo pricing for the life of the account*.
*(Retention department will try to work with you on your bill after your initial promo ends, so remember to call!)*
No free installation available unless there is a promotion going on with free installation.
More American customer support agents, not having agents read from scripts, and bringing back their e-support department here and on fb.
Sometimes it takes the tech a few days to fix certain problems, for example I've had my cable line go down twice over the years and it took them a few days to get a new line installed.
Charter sometimes sends subcontractors instead of official charter techs out to you. I have had several occasions where I get techs from Prince Telecom instead of Charter techs. Which is not a big deal I guess, but I rather see official Charter techs come instead.
Upload speeds need improving - Speeds never go under their advertised speeds but when compare to their download speeds they are sure disappointing. Of course this probably won't be remedied until they do upstream channel bonding and finish their national digital transition that is currently going on in many of their service areas.