Charter page on DSLReports

Review by robewhitener See Profile

• Location: Asheville,Buncombe,NC
Good "Very fast, good solid connection. 60mbps now"
Bad "Incompetent unprofessional installer"
Overall "Whoever Charter subcontracts to for the Asheville/Buncombe Area was awful. You'll end up doing all the work."

I recently purchased a new home, and had to transfer my service. The home was new construction, in a subdivision with underground utilities. I made the arrangements with Charter for an install, and made it understood that they had to bury the cable from the connection to the home. The appointment was made, with no problems. I think that in this area, Charter subcontracts cable installers, so this may not be on Charter, as much except for the subcontractor they chose for this area. The installer who came out, complained that our insulation was too thick, drilled 4 holes in my floor for one cable, because when he drilled the first one, he "couldn't find it..". He tore down 10 feet of my insulation to drill said hole(s). My wife had to show him how to plug in the brand new cable modem, because he told her that he couldn't make it work. Meanwhile, from walking in the house without checking his shoes, he tracked red clay mud through my home to the two bedrooms for the install, and the living room. (Thank god I have wood floors...). He hooked up the three cable boxes, and didn't hang around to see if they did anything other than power on. I had to call the activation line to set all three boxes, and ended up having to go to the local office to trade one defective box back. For some reason, Charter, or he installer, wouldn't use the equipment we brought from the old residence, so all boxes and modems from the old residence were in a box. The installer refused to take three boxes and a cable modem back. (minor thing. I could live with that..). They were also supposed to bury that cable, with the understanding that the driveway paver was supposed to come out within a day to do their job. He said he didn't have time to bury it, or to call someone to come bury it. I've still got an orange cable stretching across the year, and am having to reschedule my driveway paving, because said cable strings across the drive, when he could have moved it 10 feet to the left, by using longer cable with less tension.

Done with my rant with the install. Now on to the service.

My speed tests are showing that I'm getting 45-52mbps download on my 60mbps connection, and about 6mbps upload. Not really that bad. I can be watching Netflix in the living room, my daughter can be streaming music, and my wife can be skyping with my other daughter without any major stutters. We currently have 3 computers, 4 smartphones, a Nintendo WII, a kindle fire, a couple of tablets and an XBOX 360 on-line when we're home, and so far, there is no problem.

I love the service, but absolutely hated the install process.

member for 13 years, 2523 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jopfef See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis,MO
Good "Awesome internet speed, and it's rock solid."
Bad "Dropped the TV service after the TV died...."
Overall "Can't beat the speed!"

·Vonage
7-16-14: I'm still living in my little house in the woods, and still have Charter. About two weeks ago, Charter did a massive speed upgrade to everyone. I now have a blazing 100 megs in download speed, and still a miserable 5 megs in upload speed; Charter really needs to boost their upload speeds to 10-12 megs. The download speed is incredible! Works like a charm, once I got a new modem from Charter; my original Cisco modem was several years old, had been cutting out intermittently, and the new modem took care of that problem for me. No dropped signals since I installed the new modem. Still have to box up the dying Cisco modem and send it back to Charter, so that I don't get charged for it. Very happy with the new speeds!

********************************************************************************************************************

5-1-14: I'm still living in my little house in the woods, and still have Charter -- but internet service only now. I couldn't continue to justify the increasing cost of the TV service, so dropped it in favor of a Roku HD box to use with my Amazon Prime account. (And yes, the internet service went way up in price, for just having a single service.) I now stream my cop shows via the internet, so haven't really lost out on anything. Planning on purchasing an OTA antenna next month, so that I can pick up the local channels for the news and weather. I still have great internet speeds, and I do NOT miss paying the huge Charter TV bill every month. Unless something really drastic happens, I will probably never sign up for TV service again; it's just a waste of money for me, since I'm not a big TV watcher.

9-20-13: Yes, I still live in my little house in the woods, and I still have my Charter services. I'm on a fixed income now, so dropped the 100 megs for the internet to the 30megs; funny part was that I didn't see that big a change, but it saved me a boatload of money! TV is still just the Select service; all I ever watch are my cop shows, so it's not worth paying for anything else. No DVR box, just an HD box. I don't ever have any problems with internet speed; I have the tap in my back yard, and usually run at 40-45 megs. *grin* Sometimes there is pixelating on the TV, but not any internet issues. Still happy with my services, but am seriously considering trying an antenna and going OTA; not sure it will work with all the trees around here -- but I am on the top of a hill. That remains to be seen on trying it; it would save some money, but the increase in price for just internet makes me think it might not be worth it.

AT&T has been sending me a bunch of literature in the mail lately, but I'm not interested at all. They don't even come close to the internet speed that Charter provides, so I'm not changing.

2-10-2013: I still live in my little house in the woods, and still have my Charter services. Unfortunately, I'm retired now, so have to shell out for Charter, so that's a bite in the butt; services are NOT cheap. I'm spoiled with the 100 megs for the internet so will continue to pay for it, but dropped my TV down to just the Select service; all I ever watch are my cop shows, so it's not worth paying for anything else. Also got rid of the DVR box and now have just an HD box; no sense in paying for those services either. Had yet another round with the bad signals a couple of weeks ago, along with pixelating on the TV. A Charter tech working outside informed me that there was an issue with all the wiring up here on the hill. Took them all day, but they have the problem resolved now, and all is well again.

7-15-2012: Still living in my little house in the woods, and still have my Charter services. Still running at 100 megs, although the squirrels did finally do in the line running down the pole a couple of weeks ago. A wonderful tech named Danny came out and replaced the line, it's buried to the house once again, and my service is back running at blasting speeds again! Just internet and TV, as usual, and I've actually watched TV a little bit more lately. With the Olympics about to debut, I know I'll have the TV on alot more while that's going on, particularly the Equestrian part. Looking forward to kicking back and watching things in London! Very happy with my Charter services!

12-7-2011: Pearl Harbor Day! 70 years ago, this year. Wow.... No change in the housing situation, and still no change in my Charter services. Just internet and TV, and am happy with both, even though I don't turn on the TV that often. I've had a running battle with the squirrels this year though! Four tech visits this year so far, due to the little buggers chewing the line where it runs down the pole and gets buried to the house. Too bad I can't discharge a weapon within the county limits! I gave myself a birthday present this year and upgraded to the 60 megs -- WOW!!! And then, unbeknownst to me, down the pike came the upgrades, so I'm blasting along at 100 megs now!!! Speedtest from from the head end has me at 98 megs, and Speedtest dot net has me at 89.7 megs -- can't beat that with a big stick! *grin* Very happy with my Charter internet, and my TV, on the rare occasions that I turn it on.

3-9-2011: No change in the housing situation, and no change in my Charter services. Still have the internet and TV services, and still not much of a TV watcher, even though I have all the services as a Charter employee. Maybe one of these days. *grin* I'm an avid computer junkie and put the internet service to plenty of good use, and thoroughly enjoy having my 25 megs here at home. One of these days I might actually consider making the jump to Ultra. Who knows???

5-26-2010: Still living in the little house in the woods on top of a very big hill -- and Charter is still my provider, since I'm an employee. I got the auto-upgrade to 25 megs, and now have a ubee Docsis 3.0 modem installed here; leasing it from Charter until prices come down a bit, and then I'll purchase my own. I was having a problem with slow speeds, until I got smart and changed the DNS servers; running like a scared rabbit now! *grin* Still have just the TV and the internet service, and I should probably dump the TV connection; even with a nice flat-panel here, I hardly ever watch TV. And still using my BlackBerry phone so don't need a house phone.

11-17-2009: Moved this fall, to a little house in the woods on top of a very big hill -- and had Charter re-installed the day I moved in. Install tech looked at the outside line after he couldn't get a good signal, said it was badly damaged, and then saw the squirrels running around in the trees. *grin* He immediately ran a new line and arranged to have it buried this time, to prevent any more damage from my friendly little "neighbors". Bury crew was here the next day, and no problems with any connections at all. Still have just the TV and the internet service; not paying for phone service as I pay a ton of money every month to have my BlackBerry phone and need it more than I need a house phone. Still running at 20 megs with no problems, and very happy to have the service on top of this hill; wasn't sure Charter was up here when I moved, but happy that they are!

5-5-2009: Still have Charter cable installed, and still working for Charter. The only problem I've had was a 9-day delay in getting the outside line put back up when a boom truck went by and pulled it down (had the boom partway up). Due to the stupidity of the person who took my call, the work order was entered incorrectly, and it took NINE DAYS for a tech to get out here and restring it. Once that was done, no problems.

I'm now running at 20 megs, and it's great! Today, just for fun, I installed Windows 7 RC 1, and it's running on Charter. Way better than Vista, and my laptop is hitting top speeds now. Very pleased with that, and will probably upgrade when the final release comes out.

9-23-2008: Well, it's back to Charter cable for services again. I moved in June, and the DSL that was available here absolutely sucked on speed. So out the door with it. I'm a Charter employee, so had the TV and the internet installed, and it's running just fine. I jumped to 16 megs for the internet, and it's awesome! AT&T doesn't have anything close to that, needless to say. The only problem I had was when a boom truck drove by with its boom up, and snagged both the Charter line and the electrical line coming into my house. Utility company was here in less than 30 minutes. Even with all my ranting and raving, it still took Charter NINE days to get the line put back up. Disgraceful.

9-13-2007: I'm still gone from Charter, but that will probably change within the next few months. I'm in the process of looking for a home to purchase, and depending on the availability of cable being there, plan to have Charter installed again. It'll be free this time around -- it's one of the perks of being an employee. *grin* I find it quite humorous that my current living situation dictates that even though I work for Charter, I have AT&T DSL at home. I did just upgrade to the 6 megs on the DSL, to see if it's any good; I'll know when the new modem gets here -- I'm running the DSL here on an old 5360!

I'm NOT a fan of the bundle setup that Charter is offering. I don't own a television, haven't owned one in years, and see no need to own one. I also don't need a phone, since I depend exclusively on my cell phone. The phone line here is used strictly for the DSL line; there isn't even a phone hooked up to it. So I don't know how that will fall out if and when it comes time to install Charter again. Time will tell!

It's been awhile since I posted an update and there have been some changes, so here goes. I'm gone from Charter even though I loved the speeds that I got; very consistent, as tested with the tools here at DSLR. I was on a special rate at Charter for the last several years. Not only did I lose that rate ($26/month), but I went straight from it to the new rate of $58/month -- and that's just for Internet service!!! I don't have cable TV here, so that was just too rich for my blood. Called Charter and cancelled the service, effective the day of the new rate hike, and called AT&T and ordered DSL.

My Linksys BEFCMU10 modem is packed away for another day. I'm currently house-shopping, and it will most likely be put to use again after I move. For the time being, I'm using an old Speedstream 5360 that I had lying around here; it does the job admirably well, and is hooked to my Linksys router before branching out to my systems.

I was very unhappy with the massive increase in price with Charter. I still think they have the best speed in town, although I'm not at all interested in their 6meg offering. I am sad to depart from them, but have to do what's best financially right now. I think those prices for naked internet are ridiculous. :-(

member for 13.3 years, 5698 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by the1skate See Profile

• Location: Sanford,Lee,NC
Good "Highest speeds available in my area"
Bad "Scheduled down times not announced to customers OR tech support."
Overall "Pretty good now that issues have been worked out."

I have the 30/4 package. I got the package at 29.99 a month for 1 year. Now with loyalty discount it is 34.99 a month.

Ordering was real easy. It only took 3 days for a technician to come out and remove the traps on my line.

I was given a SMCD3GN wireless modem (tech said was an upgrade from their regular modem due to issues I had in the past) for a more stable internet connection.

My experiences with Charter have been a VERY mixed bag.
When it works properly my internet is rocket fast and rarely goes down.
However, here are a few of my bad experiences with them:
1. Four years ago I temporarily left Charter because some idiot in their tech support kept trying to tell me my internet was down because "No one has internet right now. The entire
internet is down sir. It's not our fault".
2. I once had a script reader try to tell me that my 30/4 package was working just fine because he could ping my modem and I could get on the internet. Sure my speed was only
0.8/0.2, but I could get on so it must be working right
3. Currently my internet only works at advertised speeds on weekdays until about 4 PM. From that time until 5:30 PM my speed steadily drops. From 5:30 until 11:00 PM my typical
speeds are between 2/2 to 0.3/0.2. After 11 PM my speeds steadily climb back up until reaching my normal 30/4 around 12 midnight. Pretty much all weekend my speeds are
between 6/4 and 2/1 until around 11-12 PM Sunday night.
A. I have been told by someone that was supposed to be a regional supervisor that new equipment for my area was coming online no later than 15 Jan 2014 and that all my
problems should go away. We will see.
IF Charter improves their service I will update this review to reflect that.

UPDATE:
As of 1 May 2014 Charter finally got the equipment updated in my area and went to 8 channel bonding instead of 4.
My internet speeds are as advertised (60Mbps) at least 90% of the time or better now.
Their tech support is still lacking, as you have to get to a tier 2 tech to get anyone but a script reader that knows absolutely nothing about computers. This can be difficult since the tier 1 support don't want to transfer you until you insist.

Comments:

chrtrfanboy

@charter.com

fair warning: This site is generally a telecom fanboy site

I live in Bay City MI, and happen to have similar issues with my charter Internet connection. every 3rd day at about 3PM there are connectivity issues. The modem connects to the Charter network just fine, but I cannot do anything with it as it takes about 5 minutes to DL one web page. I can't even connect to the Ookla speed test 'cause the flash plugin times out. I probably won't even be able to post this comment. It comes back at about 8 AM the next day.

There is NO POINT in calling tech support. I am tired of hearing from the Charter fanboys, you know, the ones writing all of the glowing reviews with the periodic updates (as mandated by their employer) on this forum?

I got a nice card in the mail from AT&T yesterday. U-Verse is finally available (after 3 years) in my (inside the city limits) area. I am thinking of trying it, or Speednet LLC. Yes, there is finally competition. BTW: I have had 5 MB Down and 512k Up for about 10 freaking years. You would think that they would upgrade it at some point, yes? Of course not. Per the NYT atricle today, I DO NOT have "high speed" Internet access. I guess, even though I live within the city limits, I am still a hill-billy. Thanks Charter.
wispalord

join:2007-09-20
Farmington, MO

Re: fair warning: This site is generally a telecom fanboy site

I had same issue but since im business they fixed it in a week they had to spiit the node they over sold it they care less about residential there is little to no money in it business class is way better I have direct email to techs and billing never really have a issue

chrtrfanboy

finally got to Ookla

it took 10 mins to run this, and it didn't finish. See attached image.... Never mind it won't upload. It shows 1225 ms ping, 0.03 Mpbs Down, and 0 Mpbs Up.

So mad

@myvzw.com

Charter sucks

From the A to Z charter sucks. I have schedule to hook the service at 1 they show at 5 just to tell me that they can't hook it up. I should stay with AT&T

Review by cross12095 See Profile

• Location: Hillsboro,Lawrence,AL
Good "Free Modem, Speed Increases, Internet Security, Epix HD, No Contracts, Low Promo Pricing, and Fast & Stable Service."
Bad "Have to cancel service every year to keep promo price, Fixing things sometimes take a few days, Usage Caps, "
Overall "Charter is a great choice when compared to their main competition (AT&T)"

Charter is the best choice for internet service in North Alabama especially when compared to their main competitor AT&T with their slow DSL and limited deployment of U-verse.

Overall I am happy with my internet service from Charter and I wouldn't switch over to AT&T even if I could. I am sure glad that Charter doesn't take advantage of the fact that I live in a rural area and they are the only truly viable internet provider that that provides internet service to me as AT&T only services cities while Charter goes beyond city limits into rural areas like mine. I wouldn't even dream of trying satellite internet, if Charter didn't service my area I would not have internet at all!

The main thing I do hate about Charter is that they won't allow me to keep my $29.99 promo price after the 12 months are up. The standard pricing is $54.99 for 30 megs and the lowest the retention department has ever offered me after my promo is up is $39.99 a month for the life of the account but I refuse to pay anything more than $35! So what I end up doing after my promo is up is I cancel my service, wait 30 days and sign up again to receive the $29.99 pricing again. I do have to pay a $29.99 installation fee when I do this but I recoup my loss after only 3 months by only paying $29.99 a month instead of $39.99.

So if you live in North Alabama and thinking about getting Charter as your internet provider I say go for it!

First the good stuff about Charter.
No Contracts
Fast Installation of your services.
Low Promotional Pricing for internet service. - $29.99 a month for 12 months for their 30 Mbps service
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee* - If you don't like their services within the first 30 days you get your money back.
Service Experience Guarantee* - Techs will arrive during the scheduled appointment window and complete their service or else you get a $20 credit.
Reliability Guarantee* - If you are without service for more than 24 hours you get a $20 credit
Service Disruption Credit* - For every day you are without service you get a daily credit. (This amount depends on your bill, excluding tax) For example on the $29.99 internet service it is a daily credit of 99¢
*Please note that you have to call and request these credits as they are not automatically applied to your bill.*
Free modem
Free speed increases when their network has the capability/capacity to do so.
Free internet security so no more buying internet security/antivirus/antimalware for your computers.
Free subscription to the Epix HD streaming service even when you don't subscribe to their cable service.

Now the the things Charter needs to work on.
Remove or increase usage caps. - 100GB for Internet Lite & Express, 250GB for Internet Plus & Max, 500GB for Internet Ultra.
(Even with all the downloading, streaming, voip, & web browsing I do, I have never received anything from Charter indicating I've exceeded my usage caps or having them threatening to cut service. So unless you are running a business, running servers, or pirating stuff you should be ok.)
Prices after your promotion ends are outrages, they should allow you to keep the promo pricing for the life of the account*.
*(Retention department will try to work with you on your bill after your initial promo ends, so remember to call!)*
No free installation available unless there is a promotion going on with free installation.
More American customer support agents, not having agents read from scripts, and bringing back their e-support department here and on fb.
Sometimes it takes the tech a few days to fix certain problems, for example I've had my cable line go down twice over the years and it took them a few days to get a new line installed.
Charter sometimes sends subcontractors instead of official charter techs out to you. I have had several occasions where I get techs from Prince Telecom instead of Charter techs. Which is not a big deal I guess, but I rather see official Charter techs come instead.
Upload speeds need improving - Speeds never go under their advertised speeds but when compare to their download speeds they are sure disappointing. Of course this probably won't be remedied until they do upstream channel bonding and finish their national digital transition that is currently going on in many of their service areas.

Comments:

Review by cvrefugee See Profile

• Location: Riverside,Riverside,CA
Good "Very fast and consistent speeds"
Bad "Price has gone up each year since initial promotional period"
Overall "Great deal for new customers, so-so for existing ones"

Having recently moved to a new city I found two ISPs to choose from, Charter and AT&T. Having dealt with AT&T DSL for the past 10 years I was excited to be able to try out faster service with Charter. I ordered the 30/4 package for $29/mo (1-year contract) which included a Cisco DPS3010 modem at no extra charge. The install went okay and the tech was able to get it working very quickly. He was very sociable and seemed knowledgeable.

I haven't had any major problems in the six months of service besides having to reboot the modem a couple of times. I live in a smaller apartment complex and my speeds are fairly consistent, sometimes slowing down to 15mbps during peak times.

My only complaint is regarding the Charter marketing department, as they were calling my phone several times a day to upgrade to the Triple Play package. My wife and I are not interested in utilizing any of their additional services and I've had to block their phone number to avoid future calls.

UPDATE:

After nearly two years of Charter service, I will say their uptime has been phenomenal. Only once has the service been interrupted and that was for a short while. My main complaint is regarding the pricing. There is no clear documentation that I could find which explains how the promotional pricing works. I've since found out that the first 12 months are billed at $30 per month, the next 12 months at $45 per month, then $60 per month thereafter. After I started getting billed at $45 per month, I contacted Charter to see if I could renew my contract to obtain the promotional pricing. The CSR explained that was not possible and told me how the price goes up after each 12 month period until it reached $60. Now, I don't mind paying $60 per month, but not for 30/4 speeds. I've read that the downstream speeds will increase to 60mbps at some point but have not seen that happen in my area yet.

Overall I still recommend Charter over AT&T, but let's be honest, there really is no competition if you want true HSI. Charter is the only choice in my area.

Comments:

thatguythere

@108.13.189.x

Speed Upgrade

I'm surprised you haven't seen the 60mbit speed upgrade yet, I thought Riverside had it turned on already. Up in Crestline we got 60mbit for business class last November and for everyone else earlier this year.

cvrefugee
join:2003-09-15
Riverside, CA

Re: Speed Upgrade

I'm in Canyon Crest and have only seen the speed increase a little bit every once in a while, but nothing above 35mbps.
com501

join:2001-11-20
Fernley, NV

Charter HSI

If you are not getting 60meg you should open a service call ticket. They had to move my connection to a different router. Also, inspect how your modem and any firewalls you might have in place are configured. Make sure the firmware is the latest, and insure that 'Stateful Packet Inspection' is disabled.

Doing both of these things made a 4x increase in my speeds.

Review by political_i See Profile

• Location: Bozeman,Gallatin,MT
Good "Service, speed, reliability, customer service at office"
Bad "Sales people, peak hour sees 33% reduction, modem continuously disconnects"
Overall "If you want a fast connection, good installation, get on board"

UPDATE (6/28/14) No longer have service since I moved. I was having issues with the modem they issued. No hassles for turning in equipment, they got me all squared away quickly, no issues.

UPDATE (4/14/14): I am getting a bit tired of my modem continuing to disconnect from my Airport. I am not sure if this is equipment or on the headend.

UPDATE (2/7/14): Speeds were just increased to 30/4. Restarted the modem and now have full speed. Still $40 a month. I cannot apparently get fiber to my house but I think that may change not too far from now.

I was moving into a residence with Centurylink 6/1 so I decided I wanted to get a faster connection and go with Charter. When on the phone, they tried to sell me the triple and double plays which was absolutely irritating. I was able to negotiate them for 15/2 for $40 a month. Had I known I could be serviced by fiber, I probably would've tried to negotiate further. I setup the install for a Friday and could have gotten the install done two days earlier but given my schedule that was a no can do. I setup an appointment from 3-5 pm. I ended up receiving a call at 2 pm on the day of installation saying the installer would be there in 10 minutes. I was a bit stunned due to my 2 hour window. I would rather have it early than late but still a bit annoying since I had to cancel an appointment all of a sudden due to the installation.

The installer was done quickly in 30 minutes and quite nice. Apparently, I managed to lose some of my keys and he returned them the same day. That earned some good points.

I once accidentally hit the standby button on the modem, called tech support but that took a bit more time due to the automated prompts and going through those. Luckily, I was able to get someone without being on hold and they were helpful.

One complaint I do have is peak hour congestion that it drops from 15 to 12 most times. I do have some issues with stream HD video from CBS with some drops here and there but I have had worse connections due to routers. During non-peak I can get up to 17 megs. I am not sure I will stick around since my roommates are considering switching to Montana Opticom which delivers 77 symmetrical for $70 per month.

Overall: I prefer Charter over Centurylink based on customer service and speeds offered. I will probably be switching to fiber to the home if my roommates want it.

member for 252 days, 201 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

B4KN1GHT

Charter SW Michigan

I'm very happy with my service, just wish they had higher upload speeds If fiber were available I too would probably switch!

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

30x4?

Crap. We still have the 30x5 package. Hopefully they don't drop us down a MB if we move.

I've been with this company since they were Bresnan. They've always been rather decent and I've never seen major fluctuations in speed.
political_i

join:2013-11-12
·Charter

Re: 30x4?

Given my location in the Oak Springs sub in Bozeman, I have a conduit box for Opticom but they don't want to run fiber. Honestly, I would rather build an Open Access Network.

I do see speeds decrease during peak hours. I would suggest asking. I do wish Charter would just upgrade 30/4 to 30/5 across their service area.

mistake

@104.36.128.x

canceling

called to cancel charter, they gave me the wrong address to return equipment. When I called to find out where they were I was hung up on twice. What a rinky dink company! unhappy!!

Review by stant093 See Profile

• Location: V.T.
Good "Always up"
Bad "Pricing."
Overall "Can't complain as there is only satellite high speed internet other than Charter."

Have had problems years ago, but they seem to have fixed those issues. Ive had charter for many many years and my only honest complaint is the cost. I think $113 a month for TV, phone and internet is too high.

member for 11.6 years, 3259 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by JWNelson See Profile

• Location: Columbia,Boone,MO
Good "Fast install and good speeds"
Overall "Best in Columbia but only available in a few neighborhoods"

Before moving to Columbia last summer, I spent some time researching the local options for Internet. I was aware that Mediacom was the local cable provider, though also knew Charter came up in some searches as available in the ZIP code I would be moving to (also comprising a lot of rural area north and south of Columbia) but wasn't sure what their actual service area was or if it compared adequately to "normal" Charter markets where they are the default franchise. I started by looking into Socket, which advertises local service, staff, and support. But also slow speeds and poor value for the price, with people I had already talked to using Socket not even getting the speeds they were paying for. I was familiar with CenturyLink from Omaha (see previous review) but while Omaha, at the time, could get 40 Mbps, Columbia topped out at 10 Mbps. (I have seen ads that they are now up to 20 Mbps in select areas.) Soon to be working from home, I needed faster download and upload speeds, so got approval from my supervisor for Mediacom 50/5 service and ordered. The service appointment was a week out. I cleared my schedule to be home when the tech was supposed to show up and install and he never showed up at the door. At the end of the time window I called Mediacom and they found the tech's notes that my address was not serviceable as Mediacom did not have any lines in this neighborhood (despite having taken my order). That was when I learned this neighborhood was actually one of the Charter-only neighborhoods. I called to order so I could get a live person to verify things for me, and the very next day -- less than 24 hours later -- I had service!

Speeds have been consistent between 30 and 50 Mbps during the day, with PowerBoost as high as 80 at the beginning of downloads. I am supposed to be on the 30/4 tier which will be bumped up to 60/4 when the local headend is upgraded to Spectrum/all digital. Currently, my DOCSIS 3.0 modem shows I am using 4 channels downstream and 1 channel upstream. There can be moderate congestion in the evenings which is my only complaint. While speeds are usually still good, ping times can become very slow when everyone is home and online.

The local Charter system remains a bit of a mystery -- we are in far north Columbia and there is a new Charter office just blocks away, but most of the businesses surrounding the Charter office are actually connected to Mediacom. Charter used to have a couple buildings in an industrial park nearby, with satellite dishes and a microwave and broadcast receiving mast, but the dishes and one of the buildings were torn down this year, leaving just one building with the Charter logo on it, a couple trucks parked, and the microwave/broadcast mast. It was originally a Falcon/Capital Cable plant and FCC records show that at one point in the '90s they only had a little over 250 subscribers. I am not sure if they still have a cable head-end here or if it has been consolidated with another town; while we do not have cable service, a few clear QAM channels come in with the Internet service if I connect a tuner to the modem's cable, and I know on "The Weather Channel" the local forecasts are all for Mexico, MO. IP hostname is *.stls.mo.charter.com indicating DHCP assignment is in St. Louis. I believe Charter used to have a local *.clma.mo.charter.com IP space but no longer.

We got a 6 month promotional rate of $29.99. The service will go up to $49.99 next month as the promotional period will have expired. I received the Cisco DPC3008 DOCSIS 3.0 modem with the installation. The tech originally had some trouble getting the Internet service to "lock" with the traps in place, so ended up doing a "homerun" install from the box on the side of the house across the basement ceiling and directly to the cable leading up to my office, bypassing the main splitter/distribution point in the house and the rest of the house wiring. Apparently the trap outside in the Charter box in my front yard blocks channels 3-75, but there is something else in the house that is further blocking signals to the rest of the house wiring. If I connect a TV to any other cable in the house and scan, I get a fuzzy picture on a couple analog channels in the upper 70s and no QAM at all. On the Internet cable, analog 2 and upper 70s as well as all the clear QAM channels positioned over ch. 75 come through.

Overall, very happy with Charter, though looking forward to the upcoming speed increase and more channel bonding as hopefully that will solve some of the evening congestion issues. They seem to be the best provider in Columbia as far as speed and value are concerned, if you are fortunate to live in one of the suburban neighborhoods they cover (mostly north of Blue Ridge Road or south of Nifong Blvd.). During the day, while I am working, I get a consistent download speed of over 30 Mbps and sometimes see as high as 70-80 Mbps for brief periods with PowerBoost. My wife and I do still occasionally run into buffering in the evening when watching Netflix, but far less often than she used to have with Socket!

I put together a map showing which provider serves which outlying areas around Columbia: »mapsengine.google.com/map/u/0/ed···N99eITxw Hopefully it will be helpful for others in the Columbia area.

1/23/14 - Just got on my computer this morning and had to reboot my router as the Internet was not working. When I checked the modem status page after the reboot, I found I now have 8 channel bonding downstream! Still just 1 channel upstream.

6/13/14 - We have 60 Mbps now! Powerboost to about 115 Mbps for the first few seconds of large downloads.

Comments:

Review by prabsy See Profile

• Location: West Richland,Benton,WA
Good "Good service and reliability."

Only have the internet from Charter. Have the 30/3 option. Pay 55 after taxes. Overall happy with the service. Not many other options.

Comments:

Review by adamschoen See Profile

• Location: Big Rapids,Mecosta,MI
Good "Just received update to higher speed 60/4 from 30/4 @ no charge!"
Bad "Have to bundle with tv service in order to get lower price"
Overall "I am satisfied given my only other option is dial up"

I have been a customer for 10 years now and have had good luck. I own my modem and DVR.

I recently had a problem when Charter updated to all digital and I had to get a cable card to use in my DVR. A technician had to come out to assist after phone support was unable to help. A tech was available the next day and arrived on time. He was able to get my cable card working after only 10 or 15 minutes and explained that the problem was caused by information incorrectly entered in my account.