Charter page on DSLReports

Review by meskinct See Profile

• Location: Southbury,New Haven,CT
Good "Reliable"
Bad "Upload needs a boost"
Overall "Seems Okay - Really my only option"

15-DEC-2014-
Went all digital in September followed by a bump to 60/4 about three weeks later. Connection remains solid with speed tests of 66dn/4.3up. Unfortunately as part of the speed bump, the initial bursting went away. I was getting burst of over 240dn. Bonding 8 downstream and one upstream presently using a Cisco DPC3008 modem. Only thing lacking that I see is upstream bonding and an increase in upstream speeds as well as native IPv6/dual stack.

04-FEB-2013-
The internet connection is great. Solidly pulling 33dn/4up with a SB6121 modem supplied by Charter. Bursts on the downstream of over 110. The service is solid and consistent. Never have a slow down that I have detected. Pings are good and I have not experienced any packet loss.
TV - I'm an HD snob. The service is fair. I would love more HD but their base package is acceptable for the price. I am still on a 1yr promo for $107 for everything. This is $30 less (-$10 on the net, -$20 on the TV) than the normal rates.
Never has to deal with support so I can't speak to that.
Overall - satisfied for what I'm paying vs. what I'm getting.

02-OCT-2012 - New customer as of 9/28/2012
Service seems good so far. 30dn/4up
Service install was smooth. Techs showed up on time, pulled new service to house as it's new construction, terminated all ends, checked signals, all good!
Charter has supplied a Motorola 6121 modem.
Will update this review after a few months of service.

member for 12.9 years, 6880 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by CoolMan See Profile

• Location: Tennessee
Good "Quite Reliable, Receive Speeds Promised"
Bad "Shutdown the VERY helpful Social Media/Direct Support team"
Overall "It's either Charter or AT&T U-Verse Internet (with 18Mbps being the fastest available at my address)..."

·Suddenlink
Overall Charter is reliable and we receive the speeds we pay for. We have the 60 Mbit/s plan (previously 30) which is one of only two plans offered now, with the 100 Mbit/s being the other. We do not subscribe to their TV or Phone service. When we originally subscribed Charter offered a 3 Mbit/s and 15 Mbit/s plan also. They also allowed customer owned modems when we subscribed. Late June 2012 they made a lot of changes to the company. There new CEO Tom Rutledge has made changes to the company that some people are not happy with such as: no longer allowing new customers to use their own modem, raising prices, dismantling the Social Media/Direct Support Team, no longer offering more competitive speed plans, and it really goes on and on...

Also an update to some of the above, Charter has now been officially allowing customer owned modems for several months now (in addition they do not charge a monthly rental for using theirs), they also modified the Terms/AUP in October 2014 and removed the specific number (250GB, 500GB etc.) of the bandwidth caps, these were very rarely enforced prior. They still have the the following stated which were standard years ago: "Excessive use of bandwidth that in Charter’s sole opinion places an unusually large burden on the network or goes above normal usage. Charter has the right to impose limits on excessive bandwidth consumption via any means available to Charter."

The first major issue we had was when we were initially installed the signal levels coming inside the premises were out of spec due to a problem with the incoming line that was replaced and buried underground much later since the connection worked for a while until the problem became much more worse and caused many problems. These problems as noted in the thread below have since been resolved, and since then we haven’t had any more connection or speed problems.

»[HSI] Cable Modem signal levels continue to drop

November 24, 2013 - Started experiencing issues with loss of sync at night to early morning; it only started occurring when the temperature outside was below 32°F. Called Charter and they sent out a really great technician who was able to find the issue and fix it. Apparently it was a HSI only trap/filter that had went bad and also a bad splice (which was allowing water in which would freeze and cause the modem to lose sync) of the underground cable where it comes up and connects to the cable that connects to the tap. After that we haven't had any other issues since then. We also changed our modem to another one that is capable of 8 channel downstream bonding since it is now available in our area.

December 19, 2013 - Experienced an outage from 2:40AM to about 4:30AM or so, it was back on some in between and went back down again. Called in and they said Charter was doing routine maintenance when something broke in this process which caused the entire area to go down. By 5AM it was up and running and stayed up and is all running normal now.

March 31, 2014 - Water was infiltrating in the down drop from the tap, had to have it replaced twice within this month (March), and at the bottom where it is coupled to the RG-11 before going underground now has a waterproof cover added by the technician. We believe it has helped as we haven't had the water infiltrating inside again yet which was causing packet loss and disconnections.

August 23, 2014 - Internet connection was down from 4:25PM to about 6PM, according to the automated IVR Charter was aware of the issue. Here at DSLR there were reports of DDoS attacks so that may have been a contributing factor.

October 30, 2014 - Experienced a very brief outage lasting only about 45 minutes, this was during the scheduled maintenance window.

December 8, 2014 - Speeds increased to 60 Mbps download, the new "Spectrum" service as Charter refers to it (which is all marketing). We do not have any issues with the connection to report currently and overall it has been rock solid for months.

member for 6.9 years, 671 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sergek76 See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis,MO
Good "fast, reliable service"
Bad "max 4 Mb/s upload speed"
Overall "best bang and reliability for the $"

Got the silver triple play. Ordered with the standard 4 hour installation window, but once the tech arrived everything went fast with no issues. Overall very happy with the service so far with only one disruption of about 1/2 day in the last 1.5 years.

On the internet side it would be nice to have faster upload speeds from the 4Mb/s, but overall can't complain with 100/4 service as its been able to meet all my family's needs of multiple Netflix streams and webex class presentations.

On the TV side they need some help. The HD picture could be better (pixelation during fast scenes and explosions) and the cable box guide looks like it hasn't been updated since the 80's. The DVR menu and functionality also comes from the 80's.

Overall I think its a relatively good package with reasonable pricing, but I'm scared to see what the price will be like once the new customer pricing rates wear off.

Comments:
stridr69

join:2003-05-19
San Luis Obispo, CA

After promo price

I'm on a similar plan as your are($132) per month. In February my cost will go up around $35 per month. So perhaps that would be similar to your cost. Just a ballpark figure though....

Review by dispatcher21 See Profile

• Location: Walla Walla,Walla Walla,WA
Good "After most recent pricing change and speed bump, its pretty awesome"
Bad "None really. Good speed, good uptime and price isnt bad"
Overall "For this area, best value for the speed. Good price for internet/phone bundle"

New review since its been a while since the original and a lot has changed. Current speed of 60/4 is awesome and their new price structure is not too bad. For this area, they have the best speed for the price. In the several years I have been with them, only a couple outages and a few brief interruptions, connection is stable. Phone techs are not to bright but the techs on the trucks in this area are pretty with it. I recommend Charter to everyone in town.

Comments:

Review by mixdup See Profile

• Location: Calera,Shelby,AL
Good "Nice, stable connection. 100Mbps connection even out in the suburbs of Birmingham, Alabama"
Bad "Had trouble getting things installed originally, especially on the TV side with CableCard equipment."
Overall "Decent service, definitely see an improving trend, but still not perfect."

I've been a Charter internet customer now for about four or five years, but just now getting around to reviewing them. The price listed is the price I was paying for internet only, although I have since switched to a bundle so my internet price, as a line item, is probably half what is listed. However I thought it most fair to list their unbundled price for the package I have.

My original install five years ago was perfectly smooth and uneventful. I was able to call and schedule the install without issue. As far as I remember, the installer showed up at a reasonable point in the install window. This was a new house so they ran a brand new underground line from the tap to my house (which was only about 10-15 feet). Speeds have been exactly as advertised the entire time I had them (it was a 15mbit down plan originally) and has generally been stable. About a year ago I had problems with my modem losing sync every time it got reasonably cold, but it never got to the point that I called support about it. Eventually that issue went away, so I am assuming they fixed it. Since then, it's been rock solid, excepting the very very occasional issue with packet loss that honestly could be outside of Charter's network.

My only criticisms are generally around the TV product. They have a decent HD lineup, but of course satellite beats them. However, their bundle pricing beats the pants off Charter Internet + DirecTV for TV. The main problem I had was that I am a CableCard/TiVo customer, and their install process for CableCard sucks. The original TV installer did not have them on the truck, and the ones he eventually brought did not work. Missed appointments, no one able to get it work. Eventually I had to escalate through a Charter employee who happens to monitor DSL Reports occasionally.

Also, they have a very steep install fee ($200) that they will not, under any circumstances (even as compensation for two weeks of missed appointments) ever budge on that applies to their 100mbit internet plan. I would really, really like to upgrade to this plan but right now it's 100/5, and that low upload speed doesn't really justify doubling the price and paying $200 (essentially paying for the modem, which you must rent, and the tech to come out and verify your signals)

Overall they are decent, but the customer service aspect is mediocre as you would expect from a cable company. They are much improved from their bankruptcy days, and I hope that trend continues.

UPDATE:

I am moving from a Charter area, but wanted to update this review before I move.

Lately my internet has been very stable. Had some trouble with World of Warcraft, but that could be due to WoW servers, not necessarily Charter. They have gone all digital on the TV side and the channel lineup beats satellite hands down. Plus, it's still cheaper than satellite + stand alone internet. Still wish they would provide more than 5Mbps for the upload on the Ultra 100 internet tier.

member for 11.4 years, 939 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by tstolze See Profile

• Location: O Fallon,Saint Charles,MO
Good "So far so good, getting advertised speeds, low pings."
Overall "Price is right if you bundle."

I have only been with Charter for a day now. Techs came ran cable, hooked up my modem. I was up and running in less than 30 minutes. After they left I hooked up my network, no problems, just cloned the Mac of the original computer hooked up and off it went. Stayed connected for 4hrs 15 minutes, then I couldn't connect. Called customer service, rep stated there was no modem associated with my account. I gave her the Mac of my modem and all has been fine since, ten minutes on the phone, can't complain. I have the 3.0/256 package, speed test are 2900/280, pings are equal to my Centurytel DSL. Have not been able to get trackpass working, hopefully it just takes time to work through the system, as I was told this is part of the HSI package. Also had to call as my account number wasn't recognized by the system to setup my account access and email. Took about 15 minutes, rep did it from his end, I gave him the username and password(which I have changed) and I was able to access after about a five minute wait..

Update on trackpass: Used Charter's online support chat, after concluding I was doing everything correct, the rep gave me the number for Nascar tech support. Called and they gave me a temporary username and password. They think my information probably has not made it through the system yet.

Update: All I have to say is watch your bills. I was warned about this, and now I have had to call on my first two bills. I was billed a total of $110 to much between my first two bills, they did fix it quickly, hopefully things will be okay from here...

Update 6/5/06

Been on the new 10/1 tier for a week now, speeds and pings are consistent in my area. Although the price is a little steep, I greatly needed the upload for gaming, website updates and a wife that loves to send pictures to Sam's Club by the hundreds! At 2 megs each it used to take a very long time, she is happy now, and a great excuse for me to get more bandwidth. Still say watch your bills, and my Trackpass stopped working after the upgrade, time to call and see what is going on...

Update 4/1/07

Connection still stable, had some more billing issues after I added HD to my TV package. Went through some long outages this winter, seems the backup in my node is capable of running 3-6 hrs on a full charge. Overall I am satisfied, would like more HD programming, I am sure that will come with time. My 12 month deal is up the first week of May. I do have some decisions to make, as normal pricing is to expensive.

Update 5/4/07

I am done, have Centurytel, and Dish Network coming back next week.

Had another "bill" issue, overcharged by $50+ for the month. Called and got a horrible rep on the phone. Seems every 2-3 months I have to call to get my bill fixed, then the wrong amount is still charged to my credit card and the credit shows up on the next bill. I wouldn't mind, but I have to analyze each bill to make sure it is correct.

(Update) 11/28/2011 I am now a Charter customer again, stuck with Centurylink as long as I could, now that they announced they will have a cap starting in February 2012, my reasons for not switching are gone. I have been in need of more upstream for some time now, with Charter I have it, signed up for the 18/2 and am receiving the upcoming tier of 30/4. Speedtest with Powerboost have been running 50/4 with large downloads settling in at 30 down. So far so good, I'm impressed, now let's hope the billing bugs don't creep into my account again, as that was my reasons for leaving in 2007.

11/24/12: We have been back with Charter for a year now. It works as advertised, no billing issues as in the past....What can I say, I now recommend Charter to my friends and family, this is a complete 180 from the past..

Purchased a tuner card for my server and now have Charter TV service using a Cable Card setup. Just testing now, waiting for Ceton to release the new media center extender. At that time I will cancel Dish. Charter TV will save us $40/month over Dish with a 922 DVR.

Update 10/19/14... Almost 3 years back, with few issues. Last Winter I was experiencing loss of phone/internet on nights it was below 10 outside. Sent a tech out and found the connection from my drop to the pedestal was corroded. Put a new connector on the cable and all is well.

I am in the St. Louis region so our speed upgrade was to 100 down, still 4 up. Speed test run over 100 at all times of day, typical is 109/4.4.

Still using my Windows Media setup with a Ceton tuner and Ceton Echos at the TV's. Very happy with the service even though we have lost our promotional pricing.

member for 11.3 years, 5449 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by cdigioia See Profile

• Location: Grants Pass,Josephine,OR
Good "Often upwards of 160Mbps down! "
Bad "Some nights have brief outages"
Overall "I just moved from a large city in E. Asia to a small US city. Wow am I surprised my internet is *faster* here..."

I have had the "Charter Spectrum" internet-only package for just over a month. It was a $30 install fee. The modem is free to use - an Arris TM822A (which is DOCSIS 3.0). No contract. Monthly fee is $40/month for the next year. After that, "introductory pricing" ends, and it'll be god knows how much.

Speeds are phenomenal. It's officially "up to 60Mbps", but I consistently get anywhere from 130-170 down. Seriously. I actually ended up upgrading our wireless network so as not to "waste" all this unexpected speed. Up is around 4-6. What's crazy is I just moved from a very large E. Asian city, to a small US city - and my speeds are almost 2x faster here! That's weird, and very unexpected. Perhaps the 130-170 won't last, but it's been amazing so far (and usually closer to 170 than 130).

Install was pretty good, and *very* fast. I ordered around 1:00am on day 1, then by noon of day 2 they were here! About 36 hours in total. Install took about 2 hours. First they found the cable outlet in the master bedroom (we didn't want the modem there though), then after searching - found the cable line in the living room. It had been hidden behind a wallplate commandeered by the satellite install. But, he tested that line - not so good. So after talking, we opted for a completely new line to be put into the bedroom nearest the cable box. Probably we could have insisted they run line through the attic/etc. to the living room but...seems like a lot to ask, so we didn't. On the plus side, the exterior wiring he did to get a new line into the guest bedroom - couldn't be any neater. Very professional job.

Overall I'm extremely happy with it. The only con has been very late at night - on some nights, there are brief outages (like 3 minutes). Seems reasonable though.

Comments:

Review by DaSneaky1D See Profile

• Location: The Lou
Good "100mbps tier is available"
Bad "None, really. Solid, open service that works well in StL"
Overall "For a line-based connection, it's the best value to get in the StL area"

Update 9/24/14
In less than a year, I've downgraded to the 30mbps residential tier and was bumped up to 60mbps by Charter. At the same time, I became a "cord cutter" and started to stream all of my television. I didn't want to chance a concern with high usage (and due to my increased remote working), I subscribed to their 30mbps business package...Which subsequently was in the process of being upgraded to 60mbps. Now, since Charter has gone all digital, my business tier has gone back up to 100mbps! Service has remained extremely stable as well.

Update 12/13/13
I lowered my service to the 30/4 tier to reduce costs. If I were to go back to 100mbps, it'll cost a $200 install fee and tech visit. So, for now, I'll just let Charter upgrade their lower service. In the past month, I've been updated to 8 channel bonding (downstream) and service is unquestionably solid.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 82.65 Mbps (10.33 MB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4.01 Mbps (0.5 MB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 8 ms
Jitter: 5 ms
9/24/2014 9:19:11 PM

Update 12/9/12
Still going strong on the Ultra 100/5 tier. Very disappointed with Charter's decision to remove direct tech support from DSLR (and other social media outlets). I'm awaiting to see if this is a start to a series of further poor leadership direction.

Update 1/16/12
Upgraded to the Ultra 100/5 tier. Had to have 25 year old cable drop replaced, but service is stellar.

Update - 3/31/10
Service has been upgraded to 25/3 tier. Still solid, though I need a wireless N router to see the full potential.

Update - 6/25/09
Service has been upgraded to the 20mbps tier. Still solid.

Update - 10/28/08
I've upgraded to the 16mbps/2mbps tier...and it's been a wild ride so far. For the last three weeks, my routing is questionable when traffic hands off to their off-net provider. Latency to Chicago use to be a steady 20ms, now it's over 45ms. While that may seem like a small increase, this has been accompanied with erratic speeds and an upload that averages 500kbps to third party speed tests and no more than 1mbps internally to speedtest.charter.com. Tech support shows my line stats to be within the acceptable range.

Update - 3/9/08
Upgraded to Charter's 10mbps/1mbps tier about a year ago. No complaints what-so-ever. Speed is always there and latency is still super low. Now, when Charter gets off their tail and finally offers the 16mbps/2mbps package, I'll get that too!
_________________________________________

Update - 12/21/06
I dropped down to Charter's 3mbps/256kbps tier. Speed is still good and consistent. The only down side I see is their pricing. Coming to the end of 2006, charging anything more than $35 for 3mbps service is nonsense, yet Charter's unbundled price is $45. Faster tiers are even more.

I'm still happy with the service, but as my needs and priorities change, me (the willing and able buyer) really sees a poor value for unbundled service.
__________________________________________

Update - 3/15/06
Still cruising along with Charter. Have nothing negative to say about their HSI offerings in my area.
__________________________________________

Update - 7/6/05
Charter upgraded their fastest tier to 5mbps/512kbps. Service quality is till the same. I consistently see my advertised speeds and latency is still extremely low at all times. Way to go!
__________________________________________

Update - 1/3/05
Charter 3meg service. Simply put, it's fantastic. No outages, besides one whole cable system outage in StL City (north). Latency is super low as always. I never have any slow down.

Only service related issue is Charter's flaky DNS servers. I use Level3's (especially nice since they use L3 as their backbone provider) so any related problems are transparent by me. All in all, I have no fault to find with them.
__________________________________________

I had SBC DSL, which I always received terrific service from, but decided to try Charter since I was getting rid of my static IP's with SBC to lower my bill. I got on with the 2 months free deal with Charter to test them out. I ordered the service in the morning and picked up the modem while on the way home from work, to a waiting connection. Now that's quick! I immediately noticed that latency was much lower on their network and the speeds were a bit higher as well, due to cap differences.

The real selling point came when I found out Charter was upgrading to the 2Mbps cap. When I power cycled my modem and received the new config file, my mouth dropped. StL users have 2.5Mbps/192kbps caps, and I get always get 2.3-2.4Mbps/181kbps speeds. Always! When playing certain games, I typically play on the lowest latency server I can find open. I found that even a 30ms ping server is "high" for my taste. Since most games do not register latency lower than 20ms, I always ignored anything reported as a "1" for the ping assuming that it meant "1 second or greater". After testing one of those servers, I found that my ping on those servers was around 7ms-15ms -- even during heavy action on screen.

Tech support has been on the ball for me the one time I needed them. The DNS servers respond very quickly. I don't like that I can't send mail while off their network, so that is a strike against them.

Who knows. The surrounding conditions of why my service is impressive may change. But for now, I'm in awe.

member for 13.7 years, 5928 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by B4Knight See Profile

• Location: Colon,Saint Joseph,MI
Good "Consistent Speed, Pretty Reliable, Customer Service Has Been Good"
Bad "Upload Speed Is Lacking"
Overall "Overall Its Been Great, But YMMV"

Became a Charter HSI only customer in June or July of 2011 and started on the 15Mbps/3Mbps plan @ $29.99/month for 12 months. I bought my own modem which was a Motorola SB6120 (now using a SB6121) to avoid Charters then $5 modem rental fee. After the year promo had ended I think the price went to $45.99/month. Sometime in late 2012 early 2013 I was offered a chance to upgrade to Charter's 30Mbps/4Mbps plan @ $54.99/month which I am currently still on and speeds are always consistent with what was advertised. I suspect that the consistency is due to living in a small town connected to a node which has little to no congestion.

Install was quick, tech (local contractor) showed up on time and didn't have to do a whole lot inside besides reroute some of the existing wiring that was installed prior to us living in this house.

We've had I'd say about 8 outages since I've had the service and most of them were weather/power outage related. The first time I ever had to have a tech come out was towards the middle of Feb. 2014 due to squirrels damaging my drop line causing moisture to build up in it.

August 6th, 2014 - Service is still excellent. Still waiting for Charter Spectrum to be available. I have a feeling it will happen soon.

August 7th, 2014 - Spectrum Internet has gone live! Getting around 60 Mbps/4 Mbps and PowerBoost/Traffic Shaping is no longer active.

September 4th, 2014 - Added Spectrum Voice (Home Phone) for $29.99 and the lady put me on a new promo. I'm getting both Charter Spectrum Internet 60/4 and Spectrum Voice for $59.98/12 months. My POTS bill with Clear Rate Communications (CLEC in Frontier Territory) was around $60/month. I can get two services for the price of one now. Even after the promotion ends in 12 months it goes to $69.98/month which is still a good deal in my opinion.

Install is set for September 12th between 8AM-10AM. I guess that's the earliest they could get a technician to install the service, they must have a heavy workload right now. Seems like a long time, but I can wait.

September 12th, 2014 - Contractor arrived to install Spectrum voice. He arrived right around 8 AM and was finished in about an hour. He installed the phone on a separate coaxial line and mounted an Arris TM822A D3 Telephony Modem onto one of the beams in my basement. The coax for the internet and telephone run into a Atronix 2-Way Vertical Splitter and then out to the house box and so on. I opted to not get the battery backup right now as I have a cell phone. I know that E-911 location services don't work as well with cell phones, but I don't really care much about that right now. I can always add it in the future or buy my own UPS and do it myself.

Call clarity is just as good, if not slightly better than I had with my old POTS line. So no complaints there.

All in all it was a positive experience and I'm saving quite a bit of money now by bundling my internet and phone together.

Comments:

cpsf856

@169.145.3.x

Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

I am on day 3 of charter service. The reason that I moved off of Verizon to Charter was when I tried hooking up my apple TV to verizon DSL I was seeing 6 hour download times. After doing a little research I found that for $5 more a month I can try Charter. It came with a 12 month commitment, which is sub optimal but I figured give it a shot because as of now Apple TV is useless.

So the review - internet is faster, can download / stream content from anywhere instantly. I am amazed at how fast the download speed is. I hope the service stays as consistent over the course of 12 months. For now, moving from Verizon appears to be a good move.
B4Knight
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI
·Charter

1 recommendation

Re: Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

12 month commitment? Charter did away with contracts and commitments years ago.. Maybe they still offer them to people who want to lock in a lower rate, most likely bundled. They do have a 30 or 60 day money back guarentee though.

Charter is the only cable provider in my town and Frontier offers DSL with a maximum speed of 6mbps download and around 1Mbps upload. A few of my neighbors had Frontier and could only pull about 3Mbps download even during off peak hours. So for me Charter was a no brainer as Frontier would never meet my needs. Welcome to Charter and I hope your experience is just as good as mine has been for the past 2+ years

BinaryXtreme

join:2013-07-04
Sparks, NV

Re: Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

I'm on a 12 month commitment. I am bundled but neighbor isn't. He's on a 12 month commitment as well.

Review by Serpardum See Profile

• Location: Long Beach,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Excellant internet"
Bad "Give me past disconnect notice when my bill isn't due"
Overall "Another great company ruined by business practices."

Excellent service. When I ordered for July I asked when the bill would be do. They told me it would be made on the 21st or so but wouldn't be due 'til the beginning of the month. So on August 4th I paid the $60 ($40 + $20 install) for a bill that was over $100.

On 7/31/2014 I got a disconnect notice from them. I asked why they told me my bill was past due. I talked to supervisor, same thing. I told them when I registered for this server I was on disability and I got my checks on the 3rd and made sure it wouldn't be a problem. Now it's a problem. And the lady says she's never heard of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

So, yeah, don't use unless you like being abused.