Charter page on DSLReports

Review by dispatcher21 See Profile

• Location: Walla Walla,Walla Walla,WA
Good "After most recent pricing change and speed bump, its pretty awesome"
Bad "None really. Good speed, good uptime and price isnt bad"
Overall "For this area, best value for the speed. Good price for internet/phone bundle"

New review since its been a while since the original and a lot has changed. Current speed of 60/4 is awesome and their new price structure is not too bad. For this area, they have the best speed for the price. In the several years I have been with them, only a couple outages and a few brief interruptions, connection is stable. Phone techs are not to bright but the techs on the trucks in this area are pretty with it. I recommend Charter to everyone in town.

Comments:

Review by mixdup See Profile

• Location: Calera,Shelby,AL
Good "Nice, stable connection. 100Mbps connection even out in the suburbs of Birmingham, Alabama"
Bad "Had trouble getting things installed originally, especially on the TV side with CableCard equipment."
Overall "Decent service, definitely see an improving trend, but still not perfect."

I've been a Charter internet customer now for about four or five years, but just now getting around to reviewing them. The price listed is the price I was paying for internet only, although I have since switched to a bundle so my internet price, as a line item, is probably half what is listed. However I thought it most fair to list their unbundled price for the package I have.

My original install five years ago was perfectly smooth and uneventful. I was able to call and schedule the install without issue. As far as I remember, the installer showed up at a reasonable point in the install window. This was a new house so they ran a brand new underground line from the tap to my house (which was only about 10-15 feet). Speeds have been exactly as advertised the entire time I had them (it was a 15mbit down plan originally) and has generally been stable. About a year ago I had problems with my modem losing sync every time it got reasonably cold, but it never got to the point that I called support about it. Eventually that issue went away, so I am assuming they fixed it. Since then, it's been rock solid, excepting the very very occasional issue with packet loss that honestly could be outside of Charter's network.

My only criticisms are generally around the TV product. They have a decent HD lineup, but of course satellite beats them. However, their bundle pricing beats the pants off Charter Internet + DirecTV for TV. The main problem I had was that I am a CableCard/TiVo customer, and their install process for CableCard sucks. The original TV installer did not have them on the truck, and the ones he eventually brought did not work. Missed appointments, no one able to get it work. Eventually I had to escalate through a Charter employee who happens to monitor DSL Reports occasionally.

Also, they have a very steep install fee ($200) that they will not, under any circumstances (even as compensation for two weeks of missed appointments) ever budge on that applies to their 100mbit internet plan. I would really, really like to upgrade to this plan but right now it's 100/5, and that low upload speed doesn't really justify doubling the price and paying $200 (essentially paying for the modem, which you must rent, and the tech to come out and verify your signals)

Overall they are decent, but the customer service aspect is mediocre as you would expect from a cable company. They are much improved from their bankruptcy days, and I hope that trend continues.

UPDATE:

I am moving from a Charter area, but wanted to update this review before I move.

Lately my internet has been very stable. Had some trouble with World of Warcraft, but that could be due to WoW servers, not necessarily Charter. They have gone all digital on the TV side and the channel lineup beats satellite hands down. Plus, it's still cheaper than satellite + stand alone internet. Still wish they would provide more than 5Mbps for the upload on the Ultra 100 internet tier.

Comments:

Review by tstolze See Profile

• Location: O Fallon,Saint Charles,MO
Good "So far so good, getting advertised speeds, low pings."
Overall "Price is right if you bundle."

I have only been with Charter for a day now. Techs came ran cable, hooked up my modem. I was up and running in less than 30 minutes. After they left I hooked up my network, no problems, just cloned the Mac of the original computer hooked up and off it went. Stayed connected for 4hrs 15 minutes, then I couldn't connect. Called customer service, rep stated there was no modem associated with my account. I gave her the Mac of my modem and all has been fine since, ten minutes on the phone, can't complain. I have the 3.0/256 package, speed test are 2900/280, pings are equal to my Centurytel DSL. Have not been able to get trackpass working, hopefully it just takes time to work through the system, as I was told this is part of the HSI package. Also had to call as my account number wasn't recognized by the system to setup my account access and email. Took about 15 minutes, rep did it from his end, I gave him the username and password(which I have changed) and I was able to access after about a five minute wait..

Update on trackpass: Used Charter's online support chat, after concluding I was doing everything correct, the rep gave me the number for Nascar tech support. Called and they gave me a temporary username and password. They think my information probably has not made it through the system yet.

Update: All I have to say is watch your bills. I was warned about this, and now I have had to call on my first two bills. I was billed a total of $110 to much between my first two bills, they did fix it quickly, hopefully things will be okay from here...

Update 6/5/06

Been on the new 10/1 tier for a week now, speeds and pings are consistent in my area. Although the price is a little steep, I greatly needed the upload for gaming, website updates and a wife that loves to send pictures to Sam's Club by the hundreds! At 2 megs each it used to take a very long time, she is happy now, and a great excuse for me to get more bandwidth. Still say watch your bills, and my Trackpass stopped working after the upgrade, time to call and see what is going on...

Update 4/1/07

Connection still stable, had some more billing issues after I added HD to my TV package. Went through some long outages this winter, seems the backup in my node is capable of running 3-6 hrs on a full charge. Overall I am satisfied, would like more HD programming, I am sure that will come with time. My 12 month deal is up the first week of May. I do have some decisions to make, as normal pricing is to expensive.

Update 5/4/07

I am done, have Centurytel, and Dish Network coming back next week.

Had another "bill" issue, overcharged by $50+ for the month. Called and got a horrible rep on the phone. Seems every 2-3 months I have to call to get my bill fixed, then the wrong amount is still charged to my credit card and the credit shows up on the next bill. I wouldn't mind, but I have to analyze each bill to make sure it is correct.

(Update) 11/28/2011 I am now a Charter customer again, stuck with Centurylink as long as I could, now that they announced they will have a cap starting in February 2012, my reasons for not switching are gone. I have been in need of more upstream for some time now, with Charter I have it, signed up for the 18/2 and am receiving the upcoming tier of 30/4. Speedtest with Powerboost have been running 50/4 with large downloads settling in at 30 down. So far so good, I'm impressed, now let's hope the billing bugs don't creep into my account again, as that was my reasons for leaving in 2007.

11/24/12: We have been back with Charter for a year now. It works as advertised, no billing issues as in the past....What can I say, I now recommend Charter to my friends and family, this is a complete 180 from the past..

Purchased a tuner card for my server and now have Charter TV service using a Cable Card setup. Just testing now, waiting for Ceton to release the new media center extender. At that time I will cancel Dish. Charter TV will save us $40/month over Dish with a 922 DVR.

Update 10/19/14... Almost 3 years back, with few issues. Last Winter I was experiencing loss of phone/internet on nights it was below 10 outside. Sent a tech out and found the connection from my drop to the pedestal was corroded. Put a new connector on the cable and all is well.

I am in the St. Louis region so our speed upgrade was to 100 down, still 4 up. Speed test run over 100 at all times of day, typical is 109/4.4.

Still using my Windows Media setup with a Ceton tuner and Ceton Echos at the TV's. Very happy with the service even though we have lost our promotional pricing.

member for 11.3 years, 5427 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by cdigioia See Profile

• Location: Grants Pass,Josephine,OR
Good "Often upwards of 160Mbps down! "
Bad "Some nights have brief outages"
Overall "I just moved from a large city in E. Asia to a small US city. Wow am I surprised my internet is *faster* here..."

I have had the "Charter Spectrum" internet-only package for just over a month. It was a $30 install fee. The modem is free to use - an Arris TM822A (which is DOCSIS 3.0). No contract. Monthly fee is $40/month for the next year. After that, "introductory pricing" ends, and it'll be god knows how much.

Speeds are phenomenal. It's officially "up to 60Mbps", but I consistently get anywhere from 130-170 down. Seriously. I actually ended up upgrading our wireless network so as not to "waste" all this unexpected speed. Up is around 4-6. What's crazy is I just moved from a very large E. Asian city, to a small US city - and my speeds are almost 2x faster here! That's weird, and very unexpected. Perhaps the 130-170 won't last, but it's been amazing so far (and usually closer to 170 than 130).

Install was pretty good, and *very* fast. I ordered around 1:00am on day 1, then by noon of day 2 they were here! About 36 hours in total. Install took about 2 hours. First they found the cable outlet in the master bedroom (we didn't want the modem there though), then after searching - found the cable line in the living room. It had been hidden behind a wallplate commandeered by the satellite install. But, he tested that line - not so good. So after talking, we opted for a completely new line to be put into the bedroom nearest the cable box. Probably we could have insisted they run line through the attic/etc. to the living room but...seems like a lot to ask, so we didn't. On the plus side, the exterior wiring he did to get a new line into the guest bedroom - couldn't be any neater. Very professional job.

Overall I'm extremely happy with it. The only con has been very late at night - on some nights, there are brief outages (like 3 minutes). Seems reasonable though.

Comments:

Review by DaSneaky1D See Profile

• Location: The Lou
Good "100mbps tier is available"
Bad "None, really. Solid, open service that works well in StL"
Overall "For a line-based connection, it's the best value to get in the StL area"

Update 9/24/14
In less than a year, I've downgraded to the 30mbps residential tier and was bumped up to 60mbps by Charter. At the same time, I became a "cord cutter" and started to stream all of my television. I didn't want to chance a concern with high usage (and due to my increased remote working), I subscribed to their 30mbps business package...Which subsequently was in the process of being upgraded to 60mbps. Now, since Charter has gone all digital, my business tier has gone back up to 100mbps! Service has remained extremely stable as well.

Update 12/13/13
I lowered my service to the 30/4 tier to reduce costs. If I were to go back to 100mbps, it'll cost a $200 install fee and tech visit. So, for now, I'll just let Charter upgrade their lower service. In the past month, I've been updated to 8 channel bonding (downstream) and service is unquestionably solid.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 82.65 Mbps (10.33 MB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4.01 Mbps (0.5 MB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 8 ms
Jitter: 5 ms
9/24/2014 9:19:11 PM

Update 12/9/12
Still going strong on the Ultra 100/5 tier. Very disappointed with Charter's decision to remove direct tech support from DSLR (and other social media outlets). I'm awaiting to see if this is a start to a series of further poor leadership direction.

Update 1/16/12
Upgraded to the Ultra 100/5 tier. Had to have 25 year old cable drop replaced, but service is stellar.

Update - 3/31/10
Service has been upgraded to 25/3 tier. Still solid, though I need a wireless N router to see the full potential.

Update - 6/25/09
Service has been upgraded to the 20mbps tier. Still solid.

Update - 10/28/08
I've upgraded to the 16mbps/2mbps tier...and it's been a wild ride so far. For the last three weeks, my routing is questionable when traffic hands off to their off-net provider. Latency to Chicago use to be a steady 20ms, now it's over 45ms. While that may seem like a small increase, this has been accompanied with erratic speeds and an upload that averages 500kbps to third party speed tests and no more than 1mbps internally to speedtest.charter.com. Tech support shows my line stats to be within the acceptable range.

Update - 3/9/08
Upgraded to Charter's 10mbps/1mbps tier about a year ago. No complaints what-so-ever. Speed is always there and latency is still super low. Now, when Charter gets off their tail and finally offers the 16mbps/2mbps package, I'll get that too!
_________________________________________

Update - 12/21/06
I dropped down to Charter's 3mbps/256kbps tier. Speed is still good and consistent. The only down side I see is their pricing. Coming to the end of 2006, charging anything more than $35 for 3mbps service is nonsense, yet Charter's unbundled price is $45. Faster tiers are even more.

I'm still happy with the service, but as my needs and priorities change, me (the willing and able buyer) really sees a poor value for unbundled service.
__________________________________________

Update - 3/15/06
Still cruising along with Charter. Have nothing negative to say about their HSI offerings in my area.
__________________________________________

Update - 7/6/05
Charter upgraded their fastest tier to 5mbps/512kbps. Service quality is till the same. I consistently see my advertised speeds and latency is still extremely low at all times. Way to go!
__________________________________________

Update - 1/3/05
Charter 3meg service. Simply put, it's fantastic. No outages, besides one whole cable system outage in StL City (north). Latency is super low as always. I never have any slow down.

Only service related issue is Charter's flaky DNS servers. I use Level3's (especially nice since they use L3 as their backbone provider) so any related problems are transparent by me. All in all, I have no fault to find with them.
__________________________________________

I had SBC DSL, which I always received terrific service from, but decided to try Charter since I was getting rid of my static IP's with SBC to lower my bill. I got on with the 2 months free deal with Charter to test them out. I ordered the service in the morning and picked up the modem while on the way home from work, to a waiting connection. Now that's quick! I immediately noticed that latency was much lower on their network and the speeds were a bit higher as well, due to cap differences.

The real selling point came when I found out Charter was upgrading to the 2Mbps cap. When I power cycled my modem and received the new config file, my mouth dropped. StL users have 2.5Mbps/192kbps caps, and I get always get 2.3-2.4Mbps/181kbps speeds. Always! When playing certain games, I typically play on the lowest latency server I can find open. I found that even a 30ms ping server is "high" for my taste. Since most games do not register latency lower than 20ms, I always ignored anything reported as a "1" for the ping assuming that it meant "1 second or greater". After testing one of those servers, I found that my ping on those servers was around 7ms-15ms -- even during heavy action on screen.

Tech support has been on the ball for me the one time I needed them. The DNS servers respond very quickly. I don't like that I can't send mail while off their network, so that is a strike against them.

Who knows. The surrounding conditions of why my service is impressive may change. But for now, I'm in awe.

member for 13.6 years, 5909 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by B4Knight See Profile

• Location: Colon,Saint Joseph,MI
Good "Consistent Speed, Pretty Reliable, Customer Service Has Been Good"
Bad "Upload Speed Is Lacking"
Overall "Overall Its Been Great, But YMMV"

Became a Charter HSI only customer in June or July of 2011 and started on the 15Mbps/3Mbps plan @ $29.99/month for 12 months. I bought my own modem which was a Motorola SB6120 (now using a SB6121) to avoid Charters then $5 modem rental fee. After the year promo had ended I think the price went to $45.99/month. Sometime in late 2012 early 2013 I was offered a chance to upgrade to Charter's 30Mbps/4Mbps plan @ $54.99/month which I am currently still on and speeds are always consistent with what was advertised. I suspect that the consistency is due to living in a small town connected to a node which has little to no congestion.

Install was quick, tech (local contractor) showed up on time and didn't have to do a whole lot inside besides reroute some of the existing wiring that was installed prior to us living in this house.

We've had I'd say about 8 outages since I've had the service and most of them were weather/power outage related. The first time I ever had to have a tech come out was towards the middle of Feb. 2014 due to squirrels damaging my drop line causing moisture to build up in it.

August 6th, 2014 - Service is still excellent. Still waiting for Charter Spectrum to be available. I have a feeling it will happen soon.

August 7th, 2014 - Spectrum Internet has gone live! Getting around 60 Mbps/4 Mbps and PowerBoost/Traffic Shaping is no longer active.

September 4th, 2014 - Added Spectrum Voice (Home Phone) for $29.99 and the lady put me on a new promo. I'm getting both Charter Spectrum Internet 60/4 and Spectrum Voice for $59.98/12 months. My POTS bill with Clear Rate Communications (CLEC in Frontier Territory) was around $60/month. I can get two services for the price of one now. Even after the promotion ends in 12 months it goes to $69.98/month which is still a good deal in my opinion.

Install is set for September 12th between 8AM-10AM. I guess that's the earliest they could get a technician to install the service, they must have a heavy workload right now. Seems like a long time, but I can wait.

September 12th, 2014 - Contractor arrived to install Spectrum voice. He arrived right around 8 AM and was finished in about an hour. He installed the phone on a separate coaxial line and mounted an Arris TM822A D3 Telephony Modem onto one of the beams in my basement. The coax for the internet and telephone run into a Atronix 2-Way Vertical Splitter and then out to the house box and so on. I opted to not get the battery backup right now as I have a cell phone. I know that E-911 location services don't work as well with cell phones, but I don't really care much about that right now. I can always add it in the future or buy my own UPS and do it myself.

Call clarity is just as good, if not slightly better than I had with my old POTS line. So no complaints there.

All in all it was a positive experience and I'm saving quite a bit of money now by bundling my internet and phone together.

Comments:

cpsf856

@169.145.3.x

Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

I am on day 3 of charter service. The reason that I moved off of Verizon to Charter was when I tried hooking up my apple TV to verizon DSL I was seeing 6 hour download times. After doing a little research I found that for $5 more a month I can try Charter. It came with a 12 month commitment, which is sub optimal but I figured give it a shot because as of now Apple TV is useless.

So the review - internet is faster, can download / stream content from anywhere instantly. I am amazed at how fast the download speed is. I hope the service stays as consistent over the course of 12 months. For now, moving from Verizon appears to be a good move.
B4Knight
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI
·Charter

1 recommendation

Re: Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

12 month commitment? Charter did away with contracts and commitments years ago.. Maybe they still offer them to people who want to lock in a lower rate, most likely bundled. They do have a 30 or 60 day money back guarentee though.

Charter is the only cable provider in my town and Frontier offers DSL with a maximum speed of 6mbps download and around 1Mbps upload. A few of my neighbors had Frontier and could only pull about 3Mbps download even during off peak hours. So for me Charter was a no brainer as Frontier would never meet my needs. Welcome to Charter and I hope your experience is just as good as mine has been for the past 2+ years

BinaryXtreme

join:2013-07-04
Sparks, NV

Re: Charter - Apple TV vs Verizon

I'm on a 12 month commitment. I am bundled but neighbor isn't. He's on a 12 month commitment as well.

Review by Serpardum See Profile

• Location: Long Beach,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Excellant internet"
Bad "Give me past disconnect notice when my bill isn't due"
Overall "Another great company ruined by business practices."

Excellent service. When I ordered for July I asked when the bill would be do. They told me it would be made on the 21st or so but wouldn't be due 'til the beginning of the month. So on August 4th I paid the $60 ($40 + $20 install) for a bill that was over $100.

On 7/31/2014 I got a disconnect notice from them. I asked why they told me my bill was past due. I talked to supervisor, same thing. I told them when I registered for this server I was on disability and I got my checks on the 3rd and made sure it wouldn't be a problem. Now it's a problem. And the lady says she's never heard of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

So, yeah, don't use unless you like being abused.

Comments:

Review by OpTiC See Profile

• Location: Temple City,Los Angeles,CA
Good "clear tv picture quality "
Bad "lots of problems with scientific alanta box"
Overall "Best option for TV if Uverse or Fios isn't available"

May 2011- I recently moved to a Time Warner cable area. So I disconnected my Charter services

July 2010-My promo ended for expanded basic with basic channels. Now I'm paying 67.99 with tax.

June 2009- My promo ended for expanded basic with basic channels, but luckly I get the promo renewed

May 2007- I signed up for Charter TV services the plan I signed up for is expanded basic with basic channels. I received the Scientific Atlanta 2000 cable box.

==============================================================

In the end, they are a decent choice an area with very little to no other choices, except MAYBE At&t Uverse.

member for 263 days, 323 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI

Best option if Uverse isn't available...

Have you tried Uverse TV? I've seen it first-hand and know a few people who have it. It's a mixed-bag for sure.

anonymous103

@charter.com

crap

Charter has nothing but issues. Disappointed to the max. Horrible internet telephone and television service. Don't recommend charter anything to anyone, by far the worst customer service ever. The technicians aren't anything special either.
OpTiC
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

Re: crap

Now I have Time Warner Cable which is alot better than charter. I hope I won't be transferred to Charter after the Comcast TWC merger due to older equipment.
surferwoman

join:2014-04-23
Hesperia, CA

Unburied Cable

I was digging in my yard trying to get it looking good. All of a sudden I unearthed a cable belonging to Charter. It was real close to the surface. It goes all across my yard. My neighbor said Charter didn't bury the cable deep enough. I called Charter and they were supposed to come out to bury it but they never did. I keep tripping on it. I don't know what to do. It is ruining my plans for my yard.

Morgan1970
join:2002-10-27
Crisfield, MD
·Verizon Online DSL
·Charter

Re: Unburied Cable

A quick pass with your lawnmower will take care of that rather effectively. I know it's a last resort. They will come out when whoever that cable supplies services to calls to report an outage. Charter did the same thing at my last residence. Ran a cable across my back yard just a few inches below the surface to my next door neighbor.

I complained for over a year and finally after I ran over it with my lawnmower Charter had no choice but to come out and bury it deeper. It helps if you are home when the technician comes so you can monitor his work. There is no reason why you or anyone else should have to live with that. Good luck.

NEFiredog

@catholicmutual.org

Charter Communications

I live in an area that only allows a single cable television provider by franchise with the local town government. Our cable system has been sold twice over the last 20 years, and we now have Charter Communications. By far, this is the worst company I have ever been forced to deal with. Their customer service is non-existent, if there is a problem with the signal it is always my fault, and the absolute worse issue is the closest walk in office to my home is over 80 miles away. My money is good enough to purchase their crappy cable service, but not good enough to provide me reasonable location for a walk in office to exchange set top box, pick up a replacement remote, or easy access to an area manager to express my complaints to.

Recently, over three billing cycles, we got a notice in our monthly bill that we were about to get CBS Sports Channel. This is great because a couple of programs I like to watch moved to this channel and a local college basketball team is sometimes broadcast over this channel. I even checked with the CBS Sports website and my zip code as listed as getting CBS Sports. When, after 8 months, we never got the channel, I called Charter. First, they said we should be getting it and they would have a tech check it out. Never heard anything, so called back a few days later, same response. Then I get a message that we are not getting the channel. So I call again, ask why we are not getting it, the rep said we were never scheduled to get the channel. But, I said, we got a notice that we are to get it. Then we get a sorry, you are not getting it. I ask for a supervisor, I get one and I asked why we were not getting a channel we were told are to get. No answer, sorry, just not to get it. Not a happy person here. I have reported my displeasure with their service to their corporate office with very little results. I have now asked my local town government to seek bids for other cable providers. I will see where that goes.
lynneblack

join:2001-12-14
Reno, NV

lots of regret for switching to Charter

I had Directv for the past 6 years and it was great but after the first year, the bill would go up every few months and when I would call about it I would get some lame excuse and an offer to save a few $ a month if I renewed or extended my contract. I had Ooma for phone service and it was great. But since I had Charter internet for the past year and it's been very fast and rock solid I bit when they came at me with an offer to save me $40 a month if I switched my TV and phone service to them.

That was a month ago, no one showed up for the first appt., and when a contractor showed up the next day two of the three DVR's he installed didn't work, but he left knowing they didn't work and two of the three remotes had coffee stains and what looked like dried snot on them. It took over a week and four or five service calls to get three functional DVR's and replacement remotes, but I had to wait another week for the phone because someone forgot to port my number. Two weeks ago they install the phone and I instantly had buyers remorse, you need to call in to activate forwarding (or deactivate it) and when I did that I found out that not all of my calls were being forwarded to my cell- some of them were just 'lost'. I called back to disable it, that took 2 days and three calls. I decided that since call forwarding was a failure I had better set up voice mail- well, you have to call in to enable voice mail too and now, 48 hours since that call when I dial my number on the phone to set up voice mail all I get is a busy signal.

I had Charter years ago and I should have learned my lesson, nothing much has changed. The DVRs are awful, you can record two shows but not watch a third, and unless you react to the onscreen message that prompts you to switch to one of the shows being recorded it automatically quits recording one of the programs. The DVR menu is awful, just awful. The quality is very good since they went all digital, but the problems with the equipment and abysmal support don't make up for what is now an acceptable HD signal.

As far as the phone - Both Vonage and Ooma allow you to enable or disable both forwarding and voicemail through their web interface, including the ability to configure simulring which allows your phone to always ring to another phone at the same time. Charter never heard of simulring =/ I'm just plain depressed about this, I sold my Ooma device before realizing how bad the features are with Charter phone and am thinking about buying another one and porting my number back to Ooma and just using Charter for faxing which by the way works far better than Ooma or Vonage.

But their internet rocks, they just went from 30-60 and I have never had it go down for more than 10 minutes and that has only happened a few times.

carolo

@24.236.209.x

I am awestruck

I ditched my ATT DSL two weeks ago and switched to Charter. It used to take 40 minutes to download a game. Now it takes TWO minutes!

carolo

@24.236.209.x

Plus.........

And about the "awful" service? ATT put my phone on vacation for some reason. I got mad, stopped in to Charters, and they had me hooked up (phone and internet) 4 hours later! I already had TV.

Review by kherr See Profile

• Location: Collinsville,Madison,IL
Good "Good speed, Good HD"
Overall "Services rendered as advertised"

After an installation glitch, speed has been as advertised (30/4). The CS rep asked what I did to troubleshoot connection, and didn't make me to Power down, unplug, etc., etc. etc. like a drone reading from a script. and went right to what she needed, to actually watch the modem reboot (told to unplug and wait 20 sec.). She immediately saw a problem and scheduled a service call. Two days later problem was found (missing a filter for the whole house DVR that installer forgot) and have been flying since. After I ordered service, getting rid of ATT DSL I asked neighbor if he had Charter and what he thought. When he said that it was slow, my heart stopped and thought "Oh no, congestion!!. The TV does fine although when recording late night I have found more than once the "Emergency Network Test" has interrupted at bad times ....

When I got my Tivos I had a Pro install from the beginning. It took 2 days but when they sent the supervisor the second day he ripped out the previous wiring muttering something like “don’t these people read the instructions ….”, replaced the drop, installed an amp, and redid the wiring connecting to the splitter. He said that it didn’t have a chance the way they had wired it and said “heads will roll”. They’ve been working ever since. If I ever get another one I’ll spend the $20 and have them do it again.

Update :

Spectrum went active and now the speeds are 100/4 in the St. Louis market for the base package. With TV and HSI it is $125 now that my package expired. Still rock solid with only a less than a day outage.

member for 14.2 years, 4758 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Nick8961 See Profile

• Location: Birmingham,Jefferson,AL
Good "When i am not having connection issues the service and speed is outstanding for the price."
Bad "I have been dealing with connection issues for the last few months due to congestion which has really caused a headache for me."
Overall "Great service when connection is great."

I have the 30/4 package which is rumored to be upgraded to 60/4 in coming weeks. I average around 25 - 30 down when everything is working correctly. However, from November 13 to February 14 I dealt with horrid speed issues where my internet would drop to .75 mbps but upload stayed between 3 - 4 mbps. Once it was fixed I didn't have any issues until recently woth there switch to all digital got delayed in Trussville and seemed to cause the issue again.