Charter page on DSLReports

Review by TheTechGuru See Profile

• Location: TEXAS
Good "Nothing Really"
Bad "18 Days & 2 No Shows & 1 Show But No Install Before Finally Installing On The 4th Appointment"
Overall "Company Needs To Do Away With 3rd Party Contractors & Fix Primetime Internet Congestion"

This is the most horrible and stressful internet install I have ever experienced in my life.

I ordered service via the Charter website on Friday Jan 28th 2011 from my old house and soon after got 3 confirmation email’s one confirming my install date of Wednesday Jan 2nd 2011. I was at my new home all day unpacking and no one ever showed up. I called and they rescheduled for Saturday February 12th 2011 between 5 & 7 pm saying this was the earliest date available not having any consideration to make it any sooner considering that THEY were the ones that did not show up. I was home all day working outside and no one ever showed up, I called at 7:05 PM to find out what was going on and they told me that a tech was at my door at a brown house with a brown door at 5pm. I told them my house is not brown, and it does not have a brown door (nor are any of my close neighbors houses) and described to them my house. They then proceeded to reschedule AGAIN for Monday February 14th 2011 between 8 & 10am. That morning I looked outside at random times between 8 and 10 and around 9am I saw a unmarked run down looking old pickup truck with ladders on top parked by the utility pole between my house and my neighbors house. I went outside to ask who the person was and found him out there messing with my neighbor's cable line and he said he is with the cable company and my service is next on his list. When he came over he came inside to survey where I wanted the service installed then back outside he told me he would need to install a box on the wall outside and asked if I am renting or own the place. I told him that I would prefer that he not install a box and use only a ground block and that I am owner financing. He said company policy requires that a box be installed and that he cannot install the service without permission from the owner. I told him that I am the owner and owner financing vs. bank financing makes no difference for matters like this and he still refused to install my service. At this point I was furious and cussed the guy out for never showing up the previous 2 appointments and he left. I then called my lender on the house and they said they would have someone hand deliver the needed letter within an hour. I then called Charter Management and told them what happened and that I needed my service installed TODAY and by a Charter employee not a 3rd party contractor. They told me they would have someone out between 2 & 4pm. A Charter employee in a Charter labeled van shows up about 3pm and finally gets everything installed. He only installed a ground block and not a box and I didn’t even need to tell/ask him to do so. I offered him the letter from the lender and he said he did not need it because it does not have to drill anything, he used all existing holes.

I am subscribing to the 12/1 service and it peaks anywhere from 15-25mbps in the middle of the night and it as slow as 4-6mbps during primetime in the evening.

Charter Management has waived my install fee and given me two months of free service for all of this trouble. Do note my first 3 months of service are only $19.95/mo with the current special.

On a side note, in my opinion I believe the 3rd party contractor involved is defrauding Charter. First because of his not showing up 2 times and reporting that he did show up but at a house that does not match my house’s description I think he is claiming pay from charter for the trips that he may or may not have really even made. 2nd I have seen him at my neighbor’s house 4 times since moving here and I believe he may only be half fixing problems in order to get paid more for more trips.

member for 10.9 years, 1103 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
stridr69

join:2003-05-19
San Luis Obispo, CA

Back to the Future!

WTH! This is from 2011. Please delete!

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

Re: Back to the Future!

Ya, not possible. All I did was make a one character correction and the damn system updated the post date. I didn't think it would change that. DSLR's website software is kinda dumb.
CompTIA Network+ Certified
I didn't obtain all of my knowledge for free. It cost me $48K in student loans which is ridiculous!

Review by BlakePaulson See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Douglas,MN
Good "Always get my speed listed..."
Bad "Have to call in and get a promo every 12 months"
Overall "Internet here is amazing... never down, consistant speeds."

·T-Mobile US
Our internet has only been down 3 times that I've noticed since 2007... so in 8 years I've only noticed it down 3 times. I'm on the internet a lot. So needless to say it's very reliable and I have no problems getting the speed I paid for any time of day or night. All of our streaming video sites work great as well and as far as I can tell they don't block some residential server ports.

I added charter TV as well ($39.99 for internet and $39.99 for basic tv plus $2 for a cablecard and taxes and fees (like $12 worth.) I've been pretty satisfied with Charter's TV service aside from the fact that I wish they didn't use MPEG2. I have a 3TB TiVo roamio pro and for an hour long tv show in HD it takes up around 5.9GB's of data... DirecTV uses MPEG4 and for an hour long show I think it's only a little over 1GB. So even with 3TB of space to record stuff it still runs out of space quickly because the files end up being so big.

Comments:

Charter Biz

@charter.com

Overall cool customer service!

First of all hello to everyone.
I've never done stuff like that,but thought id leave a feedback.Well i own a retail business,and charter business is what i use here at my store.I don't like to spend too much time with my vendors that i use at my business because owning one, means time is very valuable and i have to dedicate it to my customers that i care a lot for.So, long story short...any issue i had in past id call them directly and every time they are so cool to deal with its just amazing,its easy,fast,people in customer care are super nice i mean ALWAYS! I actually learned a lot from them about customer service for myself,yeah exactly i use it,and my customers always appreciated me for that.Companies like Sprint,T-mobile,Sams Club should learn a lot from Charter.I thank Charter and its stuff,keep rocking the good business and don't ever change that style of yours!

Thank you and God bless all.

Review by beameup See Profile

• Location: Hammond,Tangipahoa,LA
Good "Fast! Good up time"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Fastest in my area by a long shot."

I have the Triple play package, Phone TV & Internet. I did have a few issues at the beginning. Modem kept dropping signal. Ended up being a couple of the existing cable runs in my home weren't good, and the 2nd time it was an intermittent line issue way down the road from me. Both were handled well, all my drops replaced and new lines run in the house. Even had Quality assurance reps visit me. No complaints except the fact that I have to rent a box for every TV when they went 100% digital. I have 3. Let me have an extra box free for 1 year. I put the 3rd TV on OTA exclusively. It's decent, but I'm so far away from BR & NO that I lose signal at night on some stations.

I have Motorola Set top Boxes and an Arris Tm822A Cable modem.

Choices here are Charter or ATT 6MB Uverse.

Comments:

rshores

join:2001-05-28
Lebanon, TN

Keep Your Fingers Crossed

Keep your fingers crossed that the Comcast - Time Warner Cable merger isn't approved because Charter will transfer their LA operations to Comcast if the merger is approved. I am in TN and have been happy with my service with Charter. We will be transferred to Comcast as well if the merger is approved.

Review by Tweak3d See Profile

• Location: Coos Bay,Coos,OR
Good "Speed, price, speed, happiness."
Bad "Latency fluctuates a bit at peak times"
Overall "Dollar to mb ratio is reasonable."

Here is a speed test result that made me smile:
Speed Test #107676855 by dslreports.com
Run: 2015-02-20 10:39:36 EST
Download: 65.05 (data megabits/second)
Upload: 4.21 (data megabits/second)
Tested by server: 698 java
User: 1822907 @ dslreports.com
User's DNS: charter.com
Compared to the average of 39 tests from charter.com:
* download is 282% better, upload is 37% better

So far Charter has lived up to everything that they have said. Install time was right on the money (Sunday even).
Service has been pretty near flawless. 3 months and I haven't had to call tech service yet.

My big WOW is that the price is $25 cheaper than my old DSL and I am getting 20x the speed.

So far I am very happy. I will post if things so south.

Comments:

Review by applerule See Profile

• Location: Mars Hill,Madison,NC
Good "Always get advertised speeds, good tech support"
Overall "Well worth it."

·US Cellular
I have the Charter Business 60/4 plan with the managed router. I pay $80/mo and always get my advertised speeds. Support has been very good the handful of times I called. I used DSL and 4G before Charter ran lines in my area, and this is a vast improvement. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Comments:

Review by timcuth See Profile

• Location: Pelham,Shelby,AL
Good "Consistent fast speed"
Bad "Occasional outages; occasional DNS failure"
Overall "Excellent, so far"

·AT&T Southeast
I had been on DSL for a long time, but it became apparent that the phone company would never upgrade me from 3 mbps to modern speed. So, I had to make the switch to cable.

The first speed test at the modem showed 61 mbps. Wow! They only advertise "up to 30". Wireless speeds within the home are 25-33 mbps. Upload speeds are around 4.3 mbps via wireless. I am happy, to say the least.

*** UPDATE Feb 13, 2015 ***

They revised my advertised speed from 30/4 to 60/4. Speed test results are usually even better than that (approximately 68 / 5). I had to switch to a third party DNS provider, because Charter's DNS flakes out from time to time. Soon, my first promotional rate will expire, and I will have to pay more.

member for 14.4 years, 6396 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Mich12yahoo

@mycingular.net

Horrible Customer Service

Called requesting new service - long story short. Very weak customer service. I kept repeating myself to each person I spoke to. They lost my info each time I was transferred to a new representative. Speaking to ONE person doesn't exist. One girl had such a bad attitude I thought she was going to reach out over the phone after I asked her why she was transferring me. Horrible horrible- please do not use them. Stay away!

crazy

@bresnan.net

customer service

Horrible paid 2years on time early when they make a mistake and u get behind they want to disconnect not work w u

Review by jopfef See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis,MO
Good "Awesome internet speed, and it's rock solid."
Bad "Dropped the TV service after the TV died...."
Overall "Can't beat the speed!"

·Vonage
2-3-15: I'm still living in my little house in the woods, and I still have Charter. I'm still enjoying the blazing 100 megs in download speed, and griping about the miserable 5 megs in upload speed; Charter really does need to do something about their upload speeds. The download speed is still awesome, and I've noticed an improvement in speed, albeit a slight one, since I upgraded to a Cisco Linksys EA6300 router. Works like a charm with the Cisco modem from Charter; I don't like to mix equipment manufacturers, so Charter has continued to provide a Cisco modem as needed. Mother Nature has managed to zap two Cisco modems during summer storms over the last several years; I now unplug everything when I hear the first roll of thunder. Better safe than sorry!

Still no TV service, and no plans to bring it back. I thought the TV had died and dropped the TV service. Just for a lark, I turned it on one day last year, and discovered that it wasn't the TV that had died, but the Charter cable box! And that's when I switched over to using a Roku box with my Amazon Prime account. Still doing that today, on the rare occasions that I actually turn on the TV. I prefer to just stream my cop shows online; as long as I can get those, I'm happy. *grin*

********************************************************************************************************************

5-1-14: I'm still living in my little house in the woods, and still have Charter -- but internet service only now. I couldn't continue to justify the increasing cost of the TV service, so dropped it in favor of a Roku HD box to use with my Amazon Prime account. (And yes, the internet service went way up in price, for just having a single service.) I now stream my cop shows via the internet, so haven't really lost out on anything. Planning on purchasing an OTA antenna next month, so that I can pick up the local channels for the news and weather. I still have great internet speeds, and I do NOT miss paying the huge Charter TV bill every month. Unless something really drastic happens, I will probably never sign up for TV service again; it's just a waste of money for me, since I'm not a big TV watcher.

9-20-13: Yes, I still live in my little house in the woods, and I still have my Charter services. I'm on a fixed income now, so dropped the 100 megs for the internet to the 30megs; funny part was that I didn't see that big a change, but it saved me a boatload of money! TV is still just the Select service; all I ever watch are my cop shows, so it's not worth paying for anything else. No DVR box, just an HD box. I don't ever have any problems with internet speed; I have the tap in my back yard, and usually run at 40-45 megs. *grin* Sometimes there is pixelating on the TV, but not any internet issues. Still happy with my services, but am seriously considering trying an antenna and going OTA; not sure it will work with all the trees around here -- but I am on the top of a hill. That remains to be seen on trying it; it would save some money, but the increase in price for just internet makes me think it might not be worth it.

AT&T has been sending me a bunch of literature in the mail lately, but I'm not interested at all. They don't even come close to the internet speed that Charter provides, so I'm not changing.

2-10-2013: I still live in my little house in the woods, and still have my Charter services. Unfortunately, I'm retired now, so have to shell out for Charter, so that's a bite in the butt; services are NOT cheap. I'm spoiled with the 100 megs for the internet so will continue to pay for it, but dropped my TV down to just the Select service; all I ever watch are my cop shows, so it's not worth paying for anything else. Also got rid of the DVR box and now have just an HD box; no sense in paying for those services either. Had yet another round with the bad signals a couple of weeks ago, along with pixelating on the TV. A Charter tech working outside informed me that there was an issue with all the wiring up here on the hill. Took them all day, but they have the problem resolved now, and all is well again.

7-15-2012: Still living in my little house in the woods, and still have my Charter services. Still running at 100 megs, although the squirrels did finally do in the line running down the pole a couple of weeks ago. A wonderful tech named Danny came out and replaced the line, it's buried to the house once again, and my service is back running at blasting speeds again! Just internet and TV, as usual, and I've actually watched TV a little bit more lately. With the Olympics about to debut, I know I'll have the TV on alot more while that's going on, particularly the Equestrian part. Looking forward to kicking back and watching things in London! Very happy with my Charter services!

12-7-2011: Pearl Harbor Day! 70 years ago, this year. Wow.... No change in the housing situation, and still no change in my Charter services. Just internet and TV, and am happy with both, even though I don't turn on the TV that often. I've had a running battle with the squirrels this year though! Four tech visits this year so far, due to the little buggers chewing the line where it runs down the pole and gets buried to the house. Too bad I can't discharge a weapon within the county limits! I gave myself a birthday present this year and upgraded to the 60 megs -- WOW!!! And then, unbeknownst to me, down the pike came the upgrades, so I'm blasting along at 100 megs now!!! Speedtest from from the head end has me at 98 megs, and Speedtest dot net has me at 89.7 megs -- can't beat that with a big stick! *grin* Very happy with my Charter internet, and my TV, on the rare occasions that I turn it on.

3-9-2011: No change in the housing situation, and no change in my Charter services. Still have the internet and TV services, and still not much of a TV watcher, even though I have all the services as a Charter employee. Maybe one of these days. *grin* I'm an avid computer junkie and put the internet service to plenty of good use, and thoroughly enjoy having my 25 megs here at home. One of these days I might actually consider making the jump to Ultra. Who knows???

5-26-2010: Still living in the little house in the woods on top of a very big hill -- and Charter is still my provider, since I'm an employee. I got the auto-upgrade to 25 megs, and now have a ubee Docsis 3.0 modem installed here; leasing it from Charter until prices come down a bit, and then I'll purchase my own. I was having a problem with slow speeds, until I got smart and changed the DNS servers; running like a scared rabbit now! *grin* Still have just the TV and the internet service, and I should probably dump the TV connection; even with a nice flat-panel here, I hardly ever watch TV. And still using my BlackBerry phone so don't need a house phone.

11-17-2009: Moved this fall, to a little house in the woods on top of a very big hill -- and had Charter re-installed the day I moved in. Install tech looked at the outside line after he couldn't get a good signal, said it was badly damaged, and then saw the squirrels running around in the trees. *grin* He immediately ran a new line and arranged to have it buried this time, to prevent any more damage from my friendly little "neighbors". Bury crew was here the next day, and no problems with any connections at all. Still have just the TV and the internet service; not paying for phone service as I pay a ton of money every month to have my BlackBerry phone and need it more than I need a house phone. Still running at 20 megs with no problems, and very happy to have the service on top of this hill; wasn't sure Charter was up here when I moved, but happy that they are!

5-5-2009: Still have Charter cable installed, and still working for Charter. The only problem I've had was a 9-day delay in getting the outside line put back up when a boom truck went by and pulled it down (had the boom partway up). Due to the stupidity of the person who took my call, the work order was entered incorrectly, and it took NINE DAYS for a tech to get out here and restring it. Once that was done, no problems.

I'm now running at 20 megs, and it's great! Today, just for fun, I installed Windows 7 RC 1, and it's running on Charter. Way better than Vista, and my laptop is hitting top speeds now. Very pleased with that, and will probably upgrade when the final release comes out.

9-23-2008: Well, it's back to Charter cable for services again. I moved in June, and the DSL that was available here absolutely sucked on speed. So out the door with it. I'm a Charter employee, so had the TV and the internet installed, and it's running just fine. I jumped to 16 megs for the internet, and it's awesome! AT&T doesn't have anything close to that, needless to say. The only problem I had was when a boom truck drove by with its boom up, and snagged both the Charter line and the electrical line coming into my house. Utility company was here in less than 30 minutes. Even with all my ranting and raving, it still took Charter NINE days to get the line put back up. Disgraceful.

9-13-2007: I'm still gone from Charter, but that will probably change within the next few months. I'm in the process of looking for a home to purchase, and depending on the availability of cable being there, plan to have Charter installed again. It'll be free this time around -- it's one of the perks of being an employee. *grin* I find it quite humorous that my current living situation dictates that even though I work for Charter, I have AT&T DSL at home. I did just upgrade to the 6 megs on the DSL, to see if it's any good; I'll know when the new modem gets here -- I'm running the DSL here on an old 5360!

I'm NOT a fan of the bundle setup that Charter is offering. I don't own a television, haven't owned one in years, and see no need to own one. I also don't need a phone, since I depend exclusively on my cell phone. The phone line here is used strictly for the DSL line; there isn't even a phone hooked up to it. So I don't know how that will fall out if and when it comes time to install Charter again. Time will tell!

It's been awhile since I posted an update and there have been some changes, so here goes. I'm gone from Charter even though I loved the speeds that I got; very consistent, as tested with the tools here at DSLR. I was on a special rate at Charter for the last several years. Not only did I lose that rate ($26/month), but I went straight from it to the new rate of $58/month -- and that's just for Internet service!!! I don't have cable TV here, so that was just too rich for my blood. Called Charter and cancelled the service, effective the day of the new rate hike, and called AT&T and ordered DSL.

My Linksys BEFCMU10 modem is packed away for another day. I'm currently house-shopping, and it will most likely be put to use again after I move. For the time being, I'm using an old Speedstream 5360 that I had lying around here; it does the job admirably well, and is hooked to my Linksys router before branching out to my systems.

I was very unhappy with the massive increase in price with Charter. I still think they have the best speed in town, although I'm not at all interested in their 6meg offering. I am sad to depart from them, but have to do what's best financially right now. I think those prices for naked internet are ridiculous. :-(

member for 13.9 years, 6042 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by JWNelson See Profile

• Location: Columbia,Boone,MO
Good "Fast install and good speeds"
Overall "Best in Columbia but only available in a few neighborhoods"

Before moving to Columbia summer 2013, I spent some time researching the local options for Internet. I was aware that Mediacom was the local cable provider, though also knew Charter came up in some searches as available in the ZIP code I would be moving to (also comprising a lot of rural area north and south of Columbia) but wasn't sure what their actual service area was or if it compared adequately to "normal" Charter markets where they are the default franchise. I started by looking into Socket, which advertises local service, staff, and support. But also slow speeds and poor value for the price, with people I had already talked to using Socket not even getting the speeds they were paying for. I was familiar with CenturyLink from Omaha (see previous review) but while Omaha, at the time, could get 40 Mbps, Columbia topped out at 10 Mbps. (I have seen ads that they are now up to 20 Mbps in select areas.) Soon to be working from home, I needed faster download and upload speeds, so got approval from my supervisor for Mediacom 50/5 service and ordered. The service appointment was a week out. I cleared my schedule to be home when the tech was supposed to show up and install and he never showed up at the door. At the end of the time window I called Mediacom and they found the tech's notes that my address was not serviceable as Mediacom did not have any lines in this neighborhood (despite having taken my order). That was when I learned this neighborhood was actually one of the Charter-only neighborhoods. I called to order so I could get a live person to verify things for me, and the very next day -- less than 24 hours later -- I had service!

Speeds have been consistent between 30 and 50 Mbps during the day, with PowerBoost as high as 80 at the beginning of downloads. I am supposed to be on the 30/4 tier which will be bumped up to 60/4 when the local headend is upgraded to Spectrum/all digital. Currently, my DOCSIS 3.0 modem shows I am using 4 channels downstream and 1 channel upstream. There can be moderate congestion in the evenings which is my only complaint. While speeds are usually still good, ping times can become very slow when everyone is home and online.

The local Charter system remains a bit of a mystery -- we are in far north Columbia and there is a new Charter office just blocks away, but most of the businesses surrounding the Charter office are actually connected to Mediacom. Charter used to have a couple buildings in an industrial park nearby, with satellite dishes and a microwave and broadcast receiving mast, but the dishes and one of the buildings were torn down this year, leaving just one building with the Charter logo on it, a couple trucks parked, and the microwave/broadcast mast. It was originally a Falcon/Capital Cable plant and FCC records show that at one point in the '90s they only had a little over 250 subscribers. I am not sure if they still have a cable head-end here or if it has been consolidated with another town; while we do not have cable service, a few clear QAM channels come in with the Internet service if I connect a tuner to the modem's cable, and I know on "The Weather Channel" the local forecasts are all for Mexico, MO. IP hostname is *.stls.mo.charter.com indicating DHCP assignment is in St. Louis. I believe Charter used to have a local *.clma.mo.charter.com IP space but no longer.

We got a 6 month promotional rate of $29.99. The service will go up to $49.99 next month as the promotional period will have expired. I received the Cisco DPC3008 DOCSIS 3.0 modem with the installation. The tech originally had some trouble getting the Internet service to "lock" with the traps in place, so ended up doing a "homerun" install from the box on the side of the house across the basement ceiling and directly to the cable leading up to my office, bypassing the main splitter/distribution point in the house and the rest of the house wiring. Apparently the trap outside in the Charter box in my front yard blocks channels 3-75, but there is something else in the house that is further blocking signals to the rest of the house wiring. If I connect a TV to any other cable in the house and scan, I get a fuzzy picture on a couple analog channels in the upper 70s and no QAM at all. On the Internet cable, analog 2 and upper 70s as well as all the clear QAM channels positioned over ch. 75 come through.

Overall, very happy with Charter, though looking forward to the upcoming speed increase and more channel bonding as hopefully that will solve some of the evening congestion issues. They seem to be the best provider in Columbia as far as speed and value are concerned, if you are fortunate to live in one of the suburban neighborhoods they cover (mostly north of Blue Ridge Road or south of Nifong Blvd.). During the day, while I am working, I get a consistent download speed of over 30 Mbps and sometimes see as high as 70-80 Mbps for brief periods with PowerBoost. My wife and I do still occasionally run into buffering in the evening when watching Netflix, but far less often than she used to have with Socket!

I put together a map showing which provider serves which outlying areas around Columbia: »mapsengine.google.com/map/u/0/ed ··· N99eITxw Hopefully it will be helpful for others in the Columbia area.

1/23/14 - Just got on my computer this morning and had to reboot my router as the Internet was not working. When I checked the modem status page after the reboot, I found I now have 8 channel bonding downstream! Still just 1 channel upstream.

6/13/14 - We have 60 Mbps now! Powerboost to about 115 Mbps for the first few seconds of large downloads.

1/30/15 - No more PowerBoost, higher prices, and Charter email is basically unusable. That said, consistent 65/4.5 connection (60/4 advertised) and no real complaints. Using outlook.com for email now. Charter still beats all the competition in Columbia, MO. Just got Charter WiFi service ($5/mo.) and am very impressed. Review post here: »[HSI] Charter WiFi

member for 3.5 years, 764 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by CoolMan See Profile

• Location: Tennessee
Good "Quite Reliable, Receive Speeds Promised"
Bad "Shutdown the VERY helpful Social Media/Direct Support team"
Overall "It's either Charter or AT&T U-Verse Internet (with 18Mbps being the fastest available at our address)..."

·Suddenlink
Overall Charter is reliable and we receive the speeds we pay for. We have the 60 Mbit/s plan (previously 30) which is one of only two plans offered now, with the 100 Mbit/s being the other. We do not subscribe to their TV or Phone service. When we originally subscribed Charter offered a 3 Mbit/s and 15 Mbit/s plan also. They also allowed customer owned modems when we subscribed. Late June 2012 they made a lot of changes to the company. There new CEO Tom Rutledge has made changes to the company that some people are not happy with such as: no longer allowing new customers to use their own modem, raising prices, dismantling the Social Media/Direct Support Team, no longer offering more competitive speed plans, and it really goes on and on...

Also an update to some of the above, Charter has now been officially allowing customer owned modems for several months now (in addition they do not charge a monthly rental for using theirs), they also modified the Terms/AUP in October 2014 and removed the specific number (250GB, 500GB etc.) of the bandwidth caps, these were very rarely enforced prior. They still have the the following stated which were standard years ago: "Excessive use of bandwidth that in Charter’s sole opinion places an unusually large burden on the network or goes above normal usage. Charter has the right to impose limits on excessive bandwidth consumption via any means available to Charter."

The first major issue we had was when we were initially installed the signal levels coming inside the premises were out of spec due to a problem with the incoming line that was replaced and buried underground much later since the connection worked for a while until the problem became much more worse and caused many problems. These problems as noted in the thread below have since been resolved, and since then we haven’t had any more connection or speed problems.

»[HSI] Cable Modem signal levels continue to drop

November 24, 2013 - Started experiencing issues with loss of sync at night to early morning; it only started occurring when the temperature outside was below 32°F. Called Charter and they sent out a really great technician who was able to find the issue and fix it. Apparently it was a HSI only trap/filter that had went bad and also a bad splice (which was allowing water in which would freeze and cause the modem to lose sync) of the underground cable where it comes up and connects to the cable that connects to the tap. After that we haven't had any other issues since then. We also changed our modem to another one that is capable of 8 channel downstream bonding since it is now available in our area.

December 19, 2013 - Experienced an outage from 2:40AM to about 4:30AM or so, it was back on some in between and went back down again. Called in and they said Charter was doing routine maintenance when something broke in this process which caused the entire area to go down. By 5AM it was up and running and stayed up and is all running normal now.

March 31, 2014 - Water was infiltrating in the down drop from the tap, had to have it replaced twice within this month (March), and at the bottom where it is coupled to the RG-11 before going underground now has a waterproof cover added by the technician. We believe it has helped as we haven't had the water infiltrating inside again yet which was causing packet loss and disconnections.

August 23, 2014 - Internet connection was down from 4:25PM to about 6PM, according to the automated IVR Charter was aware of the issue. Here at DSLR there were reports of DDoS attacks so that may have been a contributing factor.

October 30, 2014 - Experienced a very brief outage lasting only about 45 minutes, this was during the scheduled maintenance window.

December 8, 2014 - Speeds increased to 60 Mbps download, the new "Spectrum" service as Charter refers to it (which is all marketing). We do not have any issues with the connection to report currently and overall it has been rock solid for months.

January 10, 2015 - Updated 'Total Monthly Cost' at the top to reflect the $5 price increase implemented on internet only service.

Comments:

Review by bkjohnson See Profile

• Location: Birmingham,Shelby,AL
Good "Speed & Reliability"
Overall "Very happy with Charter. Wish I had switched earlier."

Still happy. Added phone service. Internet getting better over time - increased speed, very reliable.

member for 12.7 years, 5418 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ZaC851

join:2014-12-28
Helena, AL

Other than price, no complaints

Same here. I'm not thrilled about the pricing but I have their 100/5 internet service in Birmingham, AL as well and regardless of the time of day, I always get at least 98-103Mbps download speeds which is great since I download a lot of media. Not only that, but it almost never goes out.

I had charter years ago when I lived in NC and I had their number memorized I was calling them so much to report problems. I was lucky to get half of the speed I was paying for at the time, half of the time, the internet would be nearly unusable on weekday nights when most people were using it and outages were a weekly thing.