ProLog page on DSLReports

Review by wingman41 See Profile

• Location: Danville,Montour,PA
Good "None"
Bad "Only game in town except for Verizon"
Overall "No real choice besides them"

Have had Prolog for many years. Just received my second notice that I am using too much bandwidth. Looked at my papers from the install, says nothing about usage caps. Anyway, my youngest son just hooked up an XBox (the 2nd one in the house) at Christmas and it is pushing us over what they say is the download limit of 30 GB (during peak times of 5 pm to 1 am).

But, here is the kicker - I just checked the stats they provide and they are not correct. Last weekend I downloaded 932 MB a website backup at 12:32 pm and it shows up as 6 pm on their log. So, I just sent an email to customer support to see what they have to say about it.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Comments:

Review by pende_tim See Profile

• Location: Andover,Sussex,NJ
Good "Speed"
Bad "Bit Expensive if don't have cable TV also, Unrealistic caps on Downloads"
Overall "Satisfied"

Update 29 Nov 2011
Just received notice that speeds will be increased on my tier from 12x2 to 15x2 next year, I guess this is to make me feel good that they are also raising the rates by $2.00/month.
I am in the Andover NJ market.

Update 17 Oct 2011
Still using ProLog (resold through Service Electric of Sparta NJ )here. Speeds have been increased to 12 x2 as of Feb 2010 and for the most part I see these speeds. Caps are rather low but since I don't Hulu or Netflix, not really a problem.
Service is stable with no outages- except after Irene we were out for 3 days. The whole area was without power for almost as long so loosing internet was the least of my worries.

I dropped the TV service Jan 2011 in favor of DirecTV and Internet costs me an extra $15. month. Now the 12x2 service is $58/month.

Update 2/25/2009

I have had their service for about 3 1/2 years now ( boy time flies).

I am still impressed with ProLog. Connection is stable with no loss of sync for the past 6 months. Speed has been bumped to 10x1 for free but see some speeds below that during peak times.

System is now DOCSIS 3.0 and they are offering a 30 x 2 package for $80/mo.

Over all Prolog internet delivered by Service Electric is a good service.

Original Review:
Cable Provider is Service Electric Cable of NJ.

Install was a major project as it required an 800' underground run for which I was quoted $2,400. I dug the trench myself and cost was $99.

I ordered the 8.0 connection speed. Initially had troubles with speeds "after the school bus" in afternoons and evenings. However for the past couple of weeks much better; Just tested 7456 x 477 at 9:00 PM tonight, so thay have made some changes.
Last Result:
Download Speed: 7456 kbps (932 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 477 kbps (59.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Pings a bit slower than DSl to first hop 8ms DSL VS 12ms on average but seeing spikes up to 120ms. Same story on gateway server, 24.229.33.97 , typical is 16 but spikes to 95 at times. I am using PingPlotter to gather this data.

They have a 10GB/mo download cap for usenet and 20GB overall DL. All that speed and nowhere to go.

Price is $57.00 /mo if you do not have cable TV.

member for 10.9 years, 6061 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by oldtechie See Profile

• Location: Etters,York,PA
Good "Okay speeds and service until receiving warning out of blue"
Bad "Nondisclosed download and upload caps, too many companies to talk to"
Overall "Monopoly that must be stopped!"

I am writing to tell you that PenTeleData/Prolog is a very bad choice, You should opt for other cable companies to move into your area and break the monopoly that PenTeleData holds on Pennsylvania, I urge you to write your congress representatives and senators. Something must be done to depose this company and put to rest their unscrupulous and dishonest business practices.

Here's a little background as to why:

I just received the attached letter from PenTeleData, the internet provider that is the sister company of Blue Ridge Cable.

Here's what it stated:

Dear Valued Customer,

Please read this important system message from PenTeleData/Blue Ridge Communications regarding the bandwidth usage statistics recorded for your ProLog Express cable modem Internet service last month. Committed to constantly improving the quality of our services and support, BRC and PenTeleData have started working together on a service enhancement project to identify which of our customers utilize the most bandwidth, and to work with those customers toward reducing that usage to improve the overall performance of our Internet services for all PenTeleData/BRC

customers.

After careful analysis of recent usage data, it has been determined that your cable Internet account consumes bandwidth in excess of what is considered normal for the modem package that you are paying for. The usage recorded for your account during the month of November indicates activity that is not in accordance with the guidelines of our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) located at »www.ptd.net. Please review your computer system(s) and your usage patterns immediately for any activity you think might cause your account to exceed the usage totals reported by 99% of our cable Internet customers.

Blue Ridge Communications and PenTeleData will compare utilization statistics for this month against past usage statistics for your account to reach a conclusion on a course of action to be taken. If you receive a second notice of excessive bandwidth usage, you will be asked to either upgrade to a higher speed residential package or a PenTeleData commercial service account. If you do not choose one of these options, your account may be suspended.

For information on upgrading your account to a higher speed residential package, please contact Blue Ridge Communications at 1-800-cable77. If you are interested in more information on a PenTeleData commercial cable modem account, please call 800-281-3564, ext. 7715. To view a few tips that could help decrease bandwidth usage for your ProLog Express cable Internet account, please click here: www.penteledata.net/bwdecrease:

If you have any questions related to this important system message, please contact PenTeleData at 800-804-5783, ext. 7710.

Thank you for your business and continued support.

PenTeleData/Blue Ridge Communications

540 Delaware Avenue PO Box 197 Patmerton, PA 18071

1.800.281.3564 www.penteledata.net 1.800.804.5783 www.ptd.net

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------

Nowhere on their website or their service agreements did it state anywhere that they have a download/upload cap of 50gigs down/25 gigs up a month and if one runs over that cap, then customers get sent a letter. I called ProLog about this issue who all of sudden had knowledge of this policy, yet nowhere on our agreement does it even mention this cap. Oh and here's another interesting thing, the cap changes! Yes, you heard me, what is 50 gigs today can change to 40, 30, 20 gigs without them telling us! The lady I spoke with last night informed me that she doesn't even know what the cap is unless Blue Ridge tells them just that it has to do with the population increases in certain areas. I questioned her further and she informed me that this means as more people signup, the quota goes down! She then told me that I would have to talk with someone at Blue Ridge in reference to my particular cap. Yet when talking with Blue Ridge Cable the next day about this policy, they pushed the decision off onto PenTeleData. Ridiculous! In speaking with more representatives at PenTeleData, they denied this claim and said that they would be "checking into this" claim, yet they still parroted the policy of the 50/25 gig cap.

She then calmly told me that I could sign up for more quota if I buy one of their other services, which are of course was more money, yet when I went to both PenTeleData's and Blue Ridge cable's site to see the difference in the quotas, you guessed it! It said absolutely nothing about the quota, only that their accounts allowed unlimited access. What they don't tell you is that the "unlimited access" does not mean unlimited downloading and uploading access, it means unlimited access to the internet.

In referring to the letters, they work on a four strike system as follows:

1st letter - Initial warning.

2nd letter - Second warning.

3rd letter - Temporary suspension of service. You must speak with a rep in order for the suspension to be removed.

4th letter - Permanent disconnection. Will not allow service to customer again, period.

And on top of this they start charging $1 per gig over the imaginary quota on some people's accounts! This is sheer madness!

But wait, there's more, if you go to www.ptd.net and sign in with your account, you are supposed to be able to view online time here:

( hxxps://portal-web.ptd.net/AccountManagement/login.jsp ) Account Management -> Online Time

to see how much bandwidth and amount of download and upload you have done so far according to a report, yet everytime I click to view the report to even see how much has been used I cannot, it simply states "information is not available"!

Try it, I guarantee you won't be able to! So, how can one see how much usage that they have and watch their bandwidth if they cannot see this information?

Now I know that some of you out there will challenge me with the TOS agreement, so I took the opportunity of pasting it below:

Broadband Bandwidth: PenTeleData and your broadband service provider offer multiple tiers of high speed Internet access with different speeds and bandwidth usage limitations (not all packages are available in all areas). Customer acknowledges that any quoted bandwidth rating/transfer rate for broadband Internet Service is a maximum rate and are not guaranteed. PenTeleData and your broadband Internet provider reserve the right to manage its networks to provide for maximum efficiency. As a user, you must ensure that your activities do not improperly restrict, inhibit, or degrade any other user’s use of the service or PenTeleData’s ability to deliver and monitor the service, or our network resources and do not represent (in the sole judgment of PenTeleData) an unusually large burden on the network itself. Users found to be (in PenTeleData’s sole judgment) in violation of this policy may have their accounts terminated, suspended, or upgraded to a higher level of service, subject to the appropriate fees. PenTeleData will use reasonable efforts to notify a customer prior to service termination for excessive bandwidth use.

I have a few qualms with this legalise:

1. Nowhere does it state above that the "excessive bandwidth" is capped at 50gigs download/25 gigs upload for the G-3 account (the account most end users have), for more money you can get "more" G-7 plan: 65gb/35up, and even more money gets you the G-10 plan: 80gb/45gb, but yet the only way you will get this information is by speaking directly with a PenTeleData representative.

2. Instead of hiding this information and only communicating this information verbally after one has exceeded the limit and then trying to sell customers a higher priced account or a much higher priced commercial account, they should be upfront with all customers BEFORE making the decision to purchase their service.

In this day and age, this cap is ridiculous and they are going to have more and more unhappy customers, I for one am moving away from my area just because they are the only provider in my area! Talk about a monopoly, the rural areas of Pennsylvania are getting the royal shaft with these guys, so I urge everyone to take to the streets and fight the power!

The relationship between the cable provider and PenTeleData is mindlessly confusing for customers, god forbid that you have a problem with your service, you will bounce back and forth with each entity placing blame on each other. And who loses in the end, you guessed it! The end user!

Comments:

Review by Zarggg See Profile

• Location: Bethlehem,Northampton,PA
Good "Easy setup"
Bad "Horrible policies and speeds"
Overall "Only choice for my location"

The service itself works, however I honestly cannot recommend this service to anyone.

A year ago, I moved from Easton to Bethlehem. At my old house, I had a 10Mbps/1Mmbps connection with RCN (with the option of upgrading to 20/2) that worked beautifully. However, in my new apartment complex, phone/cable/internet is only handled by Service Electric (internet service offered via PenTeleData/ProLog). I started with a 5Mbps/800kbps connection.

The setup went beautifully, and everything works fine except for the occasional outages when service is scheduled. I soon upgraded to a 10Mbps downstream connection. Unfortunately, this is the highest grade connection they offer, and do not offer upstream rates beyond 800kbps.

In addition to that, they have exceedingly low bandwidth caps. Any usage beyond 250GB in one month (combined upstream and downstream) is considered "excessive use" and they charge $1 per GB beyond that limit.

I would love the opportunity to switch back to RCN, but I don't even have the option. I am forced to use this provider or have no service at all because of my location.

Comments:

Review by nospeed411 See Profile

• Location: Etters,York,PA
Good "Good uptime, good price"
Bad "Latency is horrible"
Overall "It's my only option and wish we could have fios"

Purchased through Blue Ridge Cable. It is unfortunately my only option as far as internet is concerned. We do have DSL avail from frontier but lousy speed and high price. The BRC installers are inept at best and do not call them for cable signal issue which we have tons of. It's like the Larry, Daryl and Daryl show when these clowns come to visit. Your better off fixing ti your self and calling PTD for a modem reset when done.

Comments:

Review by Acidbaby See Profile

• Location: Shamokin,Northumberland,PA
Good "Quick, available speed packages"
Bad "Bandwidth is limited during peak hours, terrible customer service."
Overall "Its the fastest available but is it worth it?"

First I received a letter about illegally sharing a song on a Gnutella client. Sorry ptd I solely use newsgroups. Then I get a letter about using too much bandwidth. TOS states nothing about limited bandwidth during peak hours, but they claim it is 50GB a month. 50GB? Are you serious?

Called about a dozen times in 2 years to get a username setup so I can use their email and other offerings. Still done have one.

The service itself is fine. Price is a little high for comarable 15Mbps cable. Latency sucks if youre a gamer. But their customer support is THE WORST I have ever experienced. Lots of threatening letters. They just laid fiber in my area this summer, so definately looking forward to FIOS in the near future.

member for 10.4 years, 1788 visits, last login: 4.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by gutch See Profile

• Location: Hazleton,Luzerne,PA
Good "It works."
Bad "113gb of data is a no no"

I have a 10m/2m plan. I downloaded 113gb of data and uploaded 2.9gb of data. They told me I am using to much and next time they will charge me 1$ for each gb over. Even though they didn't even tell me what the limit is.

I called today they said that I can only use 60gb between the hours of 5pm and 1am. Any other hours is unlimited, seems reasonable. However, my wife and I have day jobs. We get in a little after 5pm. So that unlimited doesn't really help us out much buy on weekends but usually we are out during the day on weekends. Days like Sunday when we go to church and have our usual lunch at the relatives house after church. Kinda stinks that this is their policy but not much I can do but deal with it since they are the only players in town.

Comments:

Review by hdinh1985 See Profile

• Location: Emmaus,Lehigh,PA
Good "customer service is okay"
Bad "completely unreliable connection speeds"
Overall "better off getting a steadier/more reliable verizon dsl connection."

i live at an apartment complex, and i make a big use out of my internet connection. if im not surfing the web, i'm playing competively on xbox live. call me a nerd, whatever.. but i'm sure i'm not the only one who subscribes to broadband paying for a specific connection speed and ends up with only a quarter of it. i started with their basic 3mbps speed, and when that appeared to be unreliable in terms of steady connection speeds, i tried upgrading to the 7mbps speed to see if there would be any difference. during bad weather, the quality would some-what understandably degrade a bit, but would usually get better the next day. The connection would also have a notable degradation for about 3-4 days at least one week out of the month which gets oh so frustrating to deal with. And now since this recent snow storm, my connection speeds have been ranging from 2.3mbps, to as low as 769 kbps! Completely off the wall. There might be an hour or two throughout the day where it'll be at a respectable 5.2 mbps, but it will be short lived. After i called in for third time complaining, they credited my account 20 dollars. Woo hoo.... Yet they insist that i just keep testing my connection speeds on PenTeleData's site for even more days than i have been doing already(3 weeks now). I've had this service for almost two years, and i've been aggrivated with it for way longer than i should be. This new years means a new ISP for me...

Comments:

Review by Iceylinux See Profile

• Location: Wilkes Barre,Luzerne,PA
Good "Fastest Bandwidth in Wilkes-Barre, PA ... For now."
Bad "Hangs, Ping spikes (Brand new cable from the box to the modem btw)"
Overall "Moving to upstate NY and FIOS IS THERE!!!"

i figured id rewrite my review from years ago, i didnt keep prolog long since dsl was faster and cheaper. now SECTV is 10/1 so im kinda stuck, it hangs really bad ill do one speed test it will say 300kbps down and 952kbps up, ill redo the same test instantly ill get 9542/952 just stupid company without any real plans, SECTV will go out of business when wilkes barre gets Fios in 2089 no actually wilkes-barre will have fios around 2010-2011. Nothing has changed about prolog in the past 5 years, same retarted bandwidth caps, same retarted problems, just faster speeds. i cant wait to see what Verizon does to prolog and SECTV Op Online in NJ gives people 30mb/5mb up or something like that RCN in SEPA gives 20/4 i believe what is SECTV/Prolog going to do? Chapter 11? HA

member for 11.4 years, 112 visits, last login: 1.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by brienb See Profile

• Location: Milford,Pike,PA
Good "Decent speed, reliable"
Bad "Can't use bandwidth."
Overall "Would only recommend for light/casual users."

I have the highest priced package available (actually through Blue Ridge Communications), G15. Had used it lightly for several months and the first time I actually used a little bit of bandwidth (to download music, WHICH THEY ADVERTISE) I got a letter from PTD saying I needed to upgrade the service (there is nothing higher), switch to a commercial account, or they'd cancel the service outright. I never had such a problem with Optimum Online, which I can only wish were available here. Rather disappointed. Now I only use it to game and surf the web mostly, as it seems that's basically all you can do without them complaining.