ProLog page on DSLReports

Review by mist668 See Profile

• Location: Middleburg,Snyder,PA
Good "Having a docsis 3 modem it works flawless"
Bad "Having older modem not docsis 3 does not work well"
Overall "For the price can't beat it, there are NO OTHER OPTIONS except verizon crap dsl"

I moved from the other side of town about 10 miles and moving to an area that had a better internet option was the deal breaker for me. Found a rental at same price monthly where I could get SECV who resells prolog or ptd.net whatever you want to call it. I had an old motorola modem sb5100 from my Nittney Media in New Bloomfield days and when I called the local office in Northumberland they said yeah it will work with the 20/2 package at 50.95. Ordered installation for after I moved into new place and was about a month out for installation. Service guy got the internet from the box outside on a remote building into the house in about an hour and the only thing I can complain about is him ripping out the old wires from the previous people (who had directv install cables through the access hole in the wall) as my goals were to use the old sat cables to hook up my OTA. Some connectors later and back up and running. Not to mind silicone caulking... for some reason he left a hole open on the side of the house.

All was hooked up and the installation tech had to call the home office and when he said can you set up the modem to the lady he was talking to, on his work phone, said let me call you back. After 20 minutes she did not and he ended up calling another person to program my modem to ensure it was working before he left. When this lady answered she programmed the modem but the whole time you could hear people in the background laughing and having a good time, whatever was going on at the office was a joke. After all that the service was hooked up and set, speed tests showed about 18-19 down and 2 up which is right where a speed test should be.

THE BAD

After a week the modem I had started dropping out. I did a power cycle and all would work again for about another week until drop outs again. I called PTD for tech support and they said they couldn't do anything at all for me until the modem dropped out again so they could see what was up. After a week the modem dropped out again. I called PTD tech support and they, after putting me on hold for about 10 minutes to obviously get a supervisor or tech to review my case, told me I need to have SECV come out and check my lines. They gave me a service ticket number and basically said tough shit. I called SECV in Northumberland and talked to with wicked witch of the west who told me that my modem was very old and was not really supported and there wasn't anything she could do except send me an update to the modem and hope that would work. I went about a week and then the modem dropped again. I called PTD tech support and said what is going on with the modem dropping out. They couldn't see anything wrong except that it was in a "not online not offline state" and remotely reset the modem. I asked I said is this an issue with the modem or the line since SECV is not helping me. The PTD rep wouldn't answer me saying that they were unable to determine that since SECV was not out to test. I asked again I said if my modem is dropping there has to be some kind of error report or failure trigger they could see, hell I could log into my browser and see that I was having sync issues myself. Once again PTD basically said they were stumped. Good job guys you run a data center and serve a hell of a lot of area in PA and other places but couldn't answer a very basic question. I had asked if I purchased the SB6141 if that would solve my issues and if they knew of anyone having that modem and it working well. If you have any idea of where the last few sentences have been going you could have guessed that when I say they have no idea in hell what that model even is, that was their response.

Conclusion

After buying the SB6141 I haven't had any drops at all since I have been using that modem. I'm not against the idea of buying a modem to use to access the internet as I will take it with me in the future, but when a customer simply asks you what the heck is going to work on your network tell them either it will or won't. SECV and PTD are a hell of a better option then verizon DSL 3/1 at 37 a month versus my 51 for PTD 20/2. I haven't had any reason to complain since the new modem and I rarely type reviews. If it wasn't for the "wicked witch of the west" that answered the phone quite rudely like I was inconveniencing her when I asked why my modem quit, I wouldn't have typed this review. A+ effort to you who works in the office in Northumberland PA.

ON A SIDE NOTE

I have a 200 gig down and 20 gig up cap that is enforced from 5 pm to 1 am daily. I just move my heavy downloading and streaming to off peak times. My family uses hulu and netflix with OTA only so that is why I do so. I have only come close to hitting that cap once on the download and I was about 10 gigs away from doing so.

Comments:

Review by Ivybridge_I7 See Profile

• Location: Wilkes Barre,Luzerne,PA
Good "Connection Reliability is very good, tech support is excellant"
Bad "No support for IPV6 , No port 443 (SSL)for email clients"
Overall "4 Tiers of broadband service to choose from."

I am using Prolog (PenTeleData) network through my television cable provider (Service Electric) . They use Motorola cable modems to provide their service.

Service Electronic provides four tiers of service 1 meg (basic),6 megs(standard), 10 megs(premium) and 30 megs(wide-band). The 30 megs broadband is rather pricey but I am sure it's well worth the asking price. I am using the 1.5 meg(basic) and find it highly reliability and haven't had any major issues or service outages.

»www.secable.com/wilkes-barre/pac···net.html

Comments:

Review by krenim191 See Profile

• Location: Wellsboro,Tioga,PA
Good "Fast, Consistant Speeds, Low Pings"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Not bad for living in the middle of nowhere"

Well lets start off with the back story. I got a promotion at work that required me to work from the corporate headquarters... an 84 mile round trip from where I was living. With the cost of gas and the 10 hours a week of my life it was taking away I decided to relocate.

If you've ever visited the north central part of Pennsylvania - you'll no doubt agree with me that it is beautiful... but populated it isn't! Welcome to Mayberry - er, Wellsboro, PA that is. Population ~4000, also the county seat of Tioga County (just to give you an idea of how populated the rest of the county is). Colonial gas lamps line the center of the main streets, well manicured lawns everywhere you look, Main Street is full of little shops and restaurants. That's all fine and well - but what is the broadband going to be like here!?!?!

To my surprise - it's pretty damn good. Much faster service than I was getting with my Verizon DSL service 42 miles to the south.

I ordered the service in February 2008 - it's now May and I think that has given me enough time to fully test the services.

My cable company is Blue Ridge Communications, the ISP that runs the show is PenTeleData. I remember back in the early days of the internet, PTD was quite a powerful local ISP, with some services that were to be envied.

PTD seems to have a pretty solid backbone, with multiple peerings in NY, NJ & MD. Ping times across the board are very low. I subscribe to the 10/800 tier (G10 they call it) and consistently hit my cap. We had a couple of bad ice storms since I've moved here, and all the while I was happily downloading at top speed along with everyone else in the area since nobody could go anywhere.

When the service was first installed, they furnished me with a Webstar modem - it was very flaky and often needed rebooted- within a few days I purchased a Motorola 5120 and haven't had a single problem since.

I have heard of a few people having their service suspended or terminated because of high usage... I'm a heavy user and have yet to receive a letter or phone call. They do provide a tool that tells you how much data you have consumed in a given month and it seems fairly accurate when compared with the monitoring software I use on my PC.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with my new service. That can quickly change though if the service drops below unacceptable levels. I'll be sure to update my review.

Comments:

Review by jazzlady See Profile

• Location: Bartonsville,Monroe,PA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "G15 is pretty good..."
Bad "monthly download caps"
Overall "It's gotten a lot better"

UPDATE: 4-11-2008
I just found out from a friend, who found out the hard way- about the actual but "unofficial" bandwidth caps for cable modem users:

Websurfer (1.5Mbit) 15G down 10G up
G5 50G down 25G up
G10 65G down 35G up
G15 80G down 45G up

This just defies belief.

A person can do 15 gigs a month on dial-up.

Some of these levels are downright unreasonable.

People are gaming, watching streaming video, listening to streaming audio, using Skype, downloading, and doing all kinds of other bandwidth intensive stuff online. Isn't this the reason one gets broadband in the first place?

To pay for a fast connection, and be crippled with draconian caps like this is ridiculous.

I have G15, and it's great. My speed is as fast as it should be, but I've only gone over 80 GB's once, and by a small amount, so they didn't hassle me. But now that I know- I'll have to watch every megabyte.

I just figured I would let people know, because if you're thinking about signing up with Prolog you ought to know what your getting into.

*************************************************************************

UPDATE:
I had G7 for a couple of years, and just upgraded to G15.

I didn't plan on upgrading... but my old Surfboard modem wasn't cutting it any more when they upgraded everyone from G7 to G10.

BRC tech came out, hooked up a Webstar modem, speed shot right up.

I decided to keep the modem. The deal was this:

Upgrade to G15, get a free modem, and the first 6 months of the service for $29.95 a month.

I was paying $42 a month for the slower speed. It was an offer I couldn't refuse.

Then I ran into speed issues.

Through trial and error, discovered that my router was causing a bottleneck.

My router, which is a D-Link that is several years old- has a WAN port that is 10 Mbps- NOT 10/100.

15 into 10 doesn't go....

I took the router out of the loop, and tried this with a fast ethernet 10/100 switch- bam! Full speed.

No, I don't always get full speed- but I usually hover between 12-15 Mbps. And I can and do regularly hit 15+ Mbps.

If you are using a router and having speed issues, check your specs for the WAN port.

I am awaiting a new router, and using the switch in the meantime.

There are still download caps, but I can't complain about the service. It was a good deal, and existing customers were eligible for a change.

I've hit 60 gigs without any warnings from Prolog, so I can live with that. I don't abuse it like some people.

I think they are starting to feel the heat from Verizon with FIOS.

Well, FIOS isn't here yet, and in the meantime I'm pretty happy with what I'm getting from Prolog at this point in time.

I figured since I've always been fast enough to criticize them, I should have a good word to say when they do something right.

I've been with this company for years. I've seen them go from a poor provider to a provider I thought was top notch.

They offer 3 levels of service: G3- 3 mbps, G7- 7 mbps, and G10- 10 mbps.
The service has been pretty good. It's very reliable, and the network rarely goes down.

They give you 10GB's a month premium news service, but the NNTP download speed is capped at 2.5 mbps no matter what speed tier you have.

Some broadband customers are now complaining that they are getting letters from Prolog telling them they are downloading too much. Some are getting these letters after downloading only 20 GB's a month. According to Prolog it violates their AUP. However, nowhere in that AUP is there a limit stated. Customers are being told verbally by customer service that the limit is 12 GB's a month. Every byte of data that flows into your computer counts- surfing, email, streaming media... etc.

The letters warn users that their accounts can be terminated and tries to force them to upgrade to commercial accounts. Commercial accounts are half the speed, for a lot more money.

I'm a 20GB+ user, and I haven't gotten a letter yet, but I will post here when I do. It's only a matter of time.

So, how many G's can you handle? What does it matter if you are restricted to 12 gigs downstream a month.

Comments:

Review by copeless See Profile

• Location: Bath,Northampton,PA
Good "Great Download Speeds, affordable pricing."
Bad "Only 1 upload speed"
Overall "Overall Recomended"

Installation simple. 2 Dynamic IP's so 2 computers or 2 routers. Service has yet to go down in 1 year of service. The only problem I have run into is the limited upload speed and when using VPN for work there is a lot of lag. There is no option to upgrade unless you upgrade to a commercial account. Paying for 7 download, tested today only getting about 2. I am going to do a direct connection tomorrow to eliminate that as the problem.

Verizon DSL available however only offers PPOE which can be a pain to setup and troubleshoot with a router.

Comments:

Review by br0adbanddoc See Profile

• Location: Wilkes Barre,Luzerne,PA
Good "Good reliable bandwidth and excellent latency."
Bad "None yet."
Overall "Faster than any DSL product in the Wilkes-Barre area. About the same cost as Verizon DSL too."

I ordered my service from BRC/PTD and they came out and installed a Zyxel 941 modem. The installer, who was knowledgable, installed the filter and a new line(shielded cable, along with new cables to all my rooms) to my computer room. About 30 seconds after I hooked up the modem I was online. This modem flies, the 800k/800k cap is great after having 640/160 aDSL for so long. I did a speed test on here and got 776k/774k so I am pleased. No outages yet, no major speed degradation during off peak or peak times. Of course you get a normal slowdown in peak times due to more usage by other users. Cant have everything with shared bandwidth. I havent used tech support yet so I havent really got a rating for that yet. Mail and Usenet are ok.

Former Review on ProLog back when I was in Jim Thorpe
-------------------------------------
New Review on ProLog since living in Wilkes-Barre, PA

As a former employee of Service Electric I felt that it wasn't right that I gave a review of the service since I worked there. However, since I've been a non-employee of the company for close to 4 months now, I feel that I'm able to since I see the service as just a service now.

So, I have the 10/512 package from Service Electric & ProLog in the Ashley section of Wilkes-Barre. It's honestly the best service I've had since beginning to use broadband back in the late 90's. My speeds are consistently between 8.5 and 9.5Mbps on the speedtests both offered here on BB and other speedtest sites. I game quite a lot(BF2) and my connection is stable and consistent all the time. I don't use their mail server so I don't have an opinion on that, but my broadband itself is awesome. In the last 4 months I've not had one service outage that I know of.

My Cable TV is really good too. I have the Hi-Def package and get something like 17 HD channels.

I'd give the combo of SE and PTD 2 thumbs up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------

Review for the last year. The service in Wilkes-Barre has been awesome. Still just as reliable as when I first had it installed and I'm getting about 9.5/900 at peak.

Comments:

Review by BlueStrk See Profile

• Location: Easton,Northampton,PA
Good "WiFI hotspots included. great download speeds"
Bad "results tend to vary from time to time"
Overall "better than DSL in this area. I WANT Fios !!!!"

Prolog is way better than DSL in this neighborhood. I have the HD DVR package with cable modem for $115/ month. I usually get 7Mb/s down consistently. and always 384Kb/s up.

I wish we had Fios.....but until we do this is the best deal around.

Comments:

Review by wrawson See Profile

• Location: Wellsboro,Tioga,PA
Good "Fast is working most of the time"
Bad "they do maintenance during peak usage hours"
Overall "better then dsl"

It is the only way to surf, beats dial up no competition. Much faster and cheaper then dsl. You get the speeds you pay for. Currently I do not share my node with very many other customers so the speeds may suffer if more of my neighbors get it. I constantly get download speeds of over 4 mb and the upload is always above 600 k and most of the time closer to 750 k .

Comments:

Review by flyingjackal See Profile

• Location: Tannersville,Monroe,PA
Good "Super Fast! Always On"
Bad "Connection used to cut out allot (Never use an Arris Modem)"
Overall "If you live in the PennTeleData Network Area...GET IT!!!"

When we first got the service (2 years ago) they came in to install the modem and they set up 2 computers using my router. when they left, I plugged in the upstairs network switch to the router by the modem. So i have a theory that PTD keeps track of how many computers are hooked up on the modem. If there is more than the number of allowed computers on the network, they cut you off and you have to reset the modem.

We did call them in and they replaced the cable from the wall jack to the modem (3 ft piece)

Now they upgraded the number of computers from 2 to 5. but now i have a new laptop but they haven't reset the connection yet...but PTD never complained to us that we had too many computers hooked up to the modem.

I'm wondering if the connection now stays on all the time because of the replaced cable...or the number of computers has been raised.

UPDATE: Turns out it has been dropping out due to a faulty modem (Arris CM300a) I bought a Motorola 5101 Surfboard and it's on solid now. First 1-2 hours had uncapped downloads (G13 anyone?)

UPDATE: I've Just upgraded to the G10 service (10000/800) The download really is fast downloading with a manager that uses 7 sockets will pull data in at about 1.2MB (which is (9.8 of 10megabit connection) Which is right on considering a small overhead. The upload with G10 is also right on the money, It sends out it at a tiny bit over advertised speed (104KB/s)
»mtois.mine.nu:86/~MTOSERV/mtofut···peed.jpg

Comments:

Review by fifty nine See Profile

• Location: Sussex,Sussex,NJ
Good "Fast speeds, quick install, hassle free"
Bad "Bandwidth limits, no servers allowed only 512k up"
Overall "Good service at a good price"

I bought a house in Wantage Township in Rural Sussex county NJ. I needed broadband because I work from home (and so does my wife).

Went through service electric because it was either them, DSL or satellite. DSL was painfully slow, and forget about satellite that wants to be broadband but is really not.

Got the 10mb package for $41.95/month.

The cable modem is a Toshiba. Nothing special. DHCP, no PPPoE.

Set up went smooth. The TV service was set up quickly as well, using two CableCARDs for my TiVo series 3.

The cable guys came, installed and when they left I was happy to be connected to the world again.

They handed me the paperwork, and I signed my life away. However, when I was looking at the fine print, they limit you to 40GB/month data transfer and charge you after that. I guess if I don't download a lot of stuff I won't end up with a big bill, but I generally feel uneasy about paying for "unlimited" service with a limit in the fine print. Oh well, I don't think I'll use 40GB/month anyway.

Also, no servers. Pretty standard among cable modem contracts, but I would at least like to have the option as I did with OOL Boost. Guess I'll have to co-locate my server, which is a better option anyway.

The service has been reliable so far, all of two weeks. No complaints at all.

member for 11.9 years, 2641 visits, last login: a few hours ago