Bresnan Online page on DSLReports

Review by Hessian See Profile

• Location: Montrose,Montrose,CO
Good "Great connection for being in Redneckville. The connection has improved greatly this year."
Bad "Being routed through Montana."

Had some higher pings in the past, but those went away and they are now what I would expect. I got a new modem and router... very pleased so far... updated rating to reflect this.

Last updated: 07/05/11

Comments:

Review by flashhuge13 See Profile

• Location: Bozeman,Gallatin,MT
Good "No drops"
Bad "not as fast as stated"
Overall "better than the rest in this area"

·Charter
In Bozeman, MT: Paying 116 a month for "hi-speed" and bottom tier cable tv. Qwest doesn't have high speed in my neighborhood, so I had to go with Bresnan Cable which is now part of Cablevision/Optimum...Optimum took over last week, and my speed actually went DOWN! This after they promised faster speeds at LOWER prices! Very disappointed so far. Was at 8mbps and promised speed boost which I pay for, buy have never been at 8 much less more with speed boost. Am now running about 6-8mbps...:(

Comments:

Review by O Anrai See Profile

• Location: Cheyenne,Laramie,WY
Good "Consistently good download speeds."
Bad "Very consistent"
Overall "I'm satisfied w/service."

Had Qwest, really pathetic, replaced w/Bresnan 15Mbps and haven't looked back since. 04022011 - Bresnan has since upgraded service to 18Mbps.

member for 14.1 years, 3347 visits, last login: 178 days ago

Comments:

Review by gjdunga See Profile

• Location: Penrose,Fremont,CO
Good "I've changed my Mind, Bresnan Sucks"
Bad "The Locals office staff is nice, the Corp ppl are loons"
Overall "If at all possible Don't go with them.."

(This Review Was updated 03/18/2010 - Items in ( ) are updated information. )

Bresnan has their Local offices in Canon City. I live in Penrose, It's about 15 miles away. They service Penrose, Florence, Canon City and some other fringe area's.

Bresnan took over the cable from a fly by night cable provider who put lines up as quick and as dirty as they could, and at that time was only used for television services.

It's taken Bresnan about 5 years to clean up most of the mess, install fiber and work out the kinks.
( They are still trying to clean up thier own mess, lines and amps that are leaking and other provider issues that make it very difficult to recommend this provider anymore)

I (Previously) Subscribe(d) to the 15mb Dn and 1.0 mb up plan.. as well as BASIC cable. I was provided a Surfboard Modem. The price is somewhat expensive but there is little down
time, and for the most part is decent. There is upstream congestion, and based on unscientific tests, they are throttling bandwidth. (Their Ping Times and uploading were terrible)

The Install went well, but the Tech's are nosy, and they are backlogged. They have PDA's that print your receipts, and were friendly.. It does take an act of god however for help thru the telephone to their support staff who apparently are in Billings MT. Again the local staff is fair, decent, but a little nosy..

About their Connection:
They have fiber backbones to Wyoming and to Grand Junction.
(They Either Don't know how to configure their pipes or it's intentional that their exit points are congested, and throttled. I removed the Information about Qwest as it seems they are still leasing previously melted fiber from them. (The fiber was damaged a while back in the Ft. Carson Fire and it seems to have never been fixed correctly)

(Tracert Removed, Information No longer correct)

As Noted By some others, They do have an issue with Cable Modem Inventory Control. For some reason, even if you purchase a Cable Modem (As I did later) Third Party and insert into the network, they want to make it "Theirs".. Keep your Modem Receipt if you purchase it third party, or keep your Bresnan receipt that shows you purchased it thru them..

(Updated: 03/18/2010
Since then I've had nothing but problems with Bresnan. I no longer use them. They throttle users connections via congestion. They force their users to use their DNS that is filled with their advertisements, and censors your searches. I've tried their VOIP service, thier DVR service, Anything to be on a higher tier to get better service, as they refuse to provide commercial service where I live. NOTHING.. I've been told they are getting bought out, so hopefully in three or four years, the management will have changed enough to consider them again. )

Comments:

Review by TSWYO See Profile

• Location: Cheyenne,Laramie,WY
Good "I'll get back to you on that."
Bad "Service is hit or miss, speeds are not close to advertised."
Overall "Cross your fingers."

Overall service is still spotty, there are definitely overloaded nodes! Download speeds are not consistent. Whether I am at my house or my girlfriends on the opposite end of town, I see the same issues.

However, I have seen a dramatic increase in routing performance. Instead of routing up to Montana, over to Washington state, down to California, into Colorado, and then out of Bresnan's network... I am routing straight into Denver and out of their network bringing response times that were over 130ms down to around 50ms. That greatly helps things out for my business!

TV picture quality is still Lego TV. The compression and equipment they use just sucks! If only I can convince my girlfriend to go satellite like I did.

Comments:

Review by woodson

• Location: Durango,La Plata,CO
Good "Service and Price"
Bad "Slow connections recently"
Overall "I need to be able to download at reasonable speeds all day long."

I download aerials photos all day long. In the early morning I've had
mostly 500K but occasionally as high as 1M. However at precisely 8am it
starts to slow. By noon it is half speed (250K) and by 5pm it is 1/10
the morning speed (50K). I called bresnan to see why this is and after
several attempts I got an answer. A chat tech told me it was network
traffic like a city street. I suspect no one told me prior perhaps
because it doesn't fit the advertising scheme. My uploads are slow and
steady regardless of the time of day.

(review was emailed from domain bresnan.net)

Comments:

Review by hyperaudio See Profile

• Location: Craig,Moffat,CO
Good "Speeds are right on target!"
Bad "None so far..."
Overall "Best speeds available here and decent price too"

I have been using Qwest DSL Platinum up to 7mbps that they offer here and we only get 3/.640 max in our area. It was almost $50.00/mo and was only down 2 or 3 times in the last 6 years I had it but I decided to try the Bresnan Plus service with up to 18/1 and it has been better than advertised so far.

I have had no downtime so far, speeds are pretty consistent at all times of day and I am very happy with the service of my local Bresnan.

The tech did a nice job of setting all of my line levels on the lines I installed and was great to work with.

Overall I am very happy with my decision and hope that it stays this way!

Comments:

Review by nate2073 See Profile

• Location: Helena,Lewis And Clark,MT
Good "Faster than DSL in Helena, MT. Port 80 open, useful for hobby web sites. Bittorrent works great, no caps."
Bad "Only issue is the national issue of broadband policy in America, but thats not ISP specific."
Overall "Upload, download speeds very near advertised speeds. Uptime excellent. Reliability excellent."

I can whole heartedly recommend Bresnan as an ISP. I'm loving Bresnan right now, their great.

EDIT: October 2, 2010

Bresnan at my location in Helena, MT, is greatly improved. Connection reliability is excellent. Upload speed and download speed are consistently very near the advertised speed. Bittorrent works great, although make sure you rate limit your upload so other customers have upload bandwidth. No known caps on upload or download. In general no trouble at all with Bresnan anymore. In Helena, MT, I can whole heartedly recommend Bresnan as an ISP. Some notes, I only use Bresnan as an ISP, I do not receive any other services from them, such as TV. I'm loving Bresnan right now, their great.

EDIT: Jan 8, 2010

Well there have been no outages for me for quite some time now. Bittorrent works but not as good as it used to because of their equipment changes in summer 2009. At least port 80 is open so you can host your own web site. When it comes to ports though, Qwest DSL is the best. Frankly 15/1 speed is a rip off! Of course the speed and price issue is part of a larger problem of broadband in the USA. If Bresnan had competition in Helena you can bet we would have faster speeds and cheaper pricing. I strongly recommend that if your in Helena you write to the city council to talk about municipal ISP. Bottom line is if you want the fastest speed you need Bresnan, if you want port flexibility you need Qwest DSL. If you want both you need to move elsewhere.

EDIT: September 22, 2009

What the heck happened to you Bresnan? You used to be so good. In the last 2 months it has been one slowdown and outage after another. In the last week there has been a massive slowdown in speed and big increase in latency. In the last several months I have been running a web server and DNS server and the Transmission-Daemon client/server without problem. And then in the last week it went to hell. I emailed tech support tonight and they relied already with an accusatory tone by saying and I quote "From the trace you sent, and the fact that ping times to your modem are in excess of 500ms, it leads us to believe you're passing some heavy traffic from your connection. Please let us know if you have any peer-to-peer applications or servers running, as that can lead to high usage of bandwidth, which would slow the rest of your connection down significantly." I emailed them back by saying yes I run servers but what does that have to do with anything. I think this just means that Bresnan has screwed up their network or they reduced my upload or they oversold the local node excessively.

EDIT: August 18, 2009

This morning my Internet stopped working. I called Bresnan and they were out at my place in about 10 minutes. The guy did a real good job of fixing my service. Turns out the outside box had a loose fitting. I'm real impressed with how quick they got here and fixed it. This was my first service call due to misbehaving equipment and not due to ISP wide outage.

EDIT: August 14, 2009

Starting around the afternoon of August 13, 2009, Bresnan had a multi state internet outage that lasted at least through today August 14, 2009. Bresnan did a horrible job at informing their customers about the internet outage. This morning they only had a small banner at the bottom of their site at bresnan.com saying "we are experiencing a network outage" that's it, that all it said. No ETA, no notice of anything. Bresnan needs to do a much better job at communicating current network status to their customers. I would suggest to Bresnan to create a dedicated network status page and to setup multiple ways of communicating to customers, perhaps like Twitter or a continuously running banner across the bottom of the TV. I am marking down Bresnan quite a bit for their crappy customer service concerning the outage.

EDIT: March 25, 2009

Bresnan DNS speed seems crappy. I don't know if I'm spoiled or not but when it comes to DNS speed I have very high expectations. I no longer use the Bresnan DNS servers. Instead I setup my own DNS server using Debian Lenny and Bind9. Now my DNS is great. My Bind9 setup bypasses the Bresnan servers entirely. Other than DNS, I am very satisfied with Bresnan upload/download. The only other issue is a minor annoyance with the lack of IPv6. Also the speed boost cost here in Helena, MT is around $65.

ORIGINAL POST:

I got the 6 months special for 39.95 then after it's 49.95 or 59.95, I can't remember. There are no caps that I'm aware of and it works great with Bittorrent.

I have been enjoying my service for quite some time now. Part way through my 6 month contract I upgraded to the speed plus plan and this boosted my speeds from 384Kb up to 1Mb up and 8Mb down to 15Mb down. The Bresnan network has been very reliable. The only thing I care about now is my insatiable need for upload speed because of bittorrent. I updated the monthly cost to reflect what I am now paying. I also decreased the radio button for "Value for money" by one to reflect the higher price, I would have left it up one if the price was say $55.

Comments:

Review by squirrel83 See Profile

• Location: Missoula,Missoula,MT
Good "Fastest in the area and beats qwest by far 15 meg dwn 1 meg up"
Bad "upload 1 meg - 65.90 a month for internet"
Overall "Good Service overall Never have I had a connection issue or down time"

I first considered the typical qwest but after reading the reviews on-line I discovered Bresnan, then once I got the chance I called to order. The packages offered were 15meg down and 1 meg up for 10.00 more than the basic package which was 8meg down 356 up. I ordered the basic and will see how that goes. First day so far is fantastic.

The first 6 months are 39.95.
The install process was right on time, I was the first for the installer for the day. . The house had already been wired. The Modem given was Motorola Surfboard modem.
The only thing that sucked was the install date was ten days after I called to have it installed. But then again it is like this anywhere you go these days. .

I have been using Bresnan now for a year and using the 15 meg 1 meg down upgrade for about 9 months and I love it. Wish it could be faster but its whats available here.

Updated - 11/08 - 11/01 Modem Rental 3.00 Bresnan Onlin* 52.95
Bresnan Onlin* Bresnan Onlin* Speed Plus 9.95 ----- enables the 15 meg
Subtotal 65.90

the total for the month is 65.90 after the 6 month deal . . . but that is with the speed plus and to be honest I think they just updated they're tier to a point. . Speed tests to Seattle are above 15 meg now and most any speed test I am 1 meg up which is what I pay for . . . still the best for the area. .
In the mornings around 5am you can actually get 15 down

To Seattle - Download Speed: 11929 kbps (1491.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1046 kbps (130.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/4378065···G][/URL]

I no longer have the service but while I did it was great!

Comments:

Review by Karunamon See Profile

• Location: Casper,Natrona,WY
Good "Awesome performance!"
Bad "Scheduling, billing shenanigans, abysmal CS"
Overall "Unbeatable when it works, god help you if it doesn't. Avoid."

Bresnan is WAS the only available service in my area one year ago when I signed up. The service they offered me was 8/1, with an extra $5 to boost that to 15/1.5.

Let me get the good points out of the way first: The performance of the connection is absolutely top notch. You are unlikely to get a faster link in Wyoming without paying business-class cash.

Unfortunately, that's where the good ends.

It took over two weeks to get someone out to install my service the first time. I was greeted by a rather surly technician on the big day. Strike one.

Things were good until the 2nd month's billing came due. Apparently, Bresnan had seen fit to save my credit card information and automatically bill me for next month's service without informing me first.

For about $115 after fees, etc. I had just paid rent, so naturally the payment bounced. Cue the bank and bresnan getting a bit testy..

Strike two.

This has happened no less than 5 times with these clowns. Hitting my card automatically at random times with no rhyme nor reason.

It gets better and less sensical from here. After they did this the 2nd time, they placed a flag on my account that I am unable to make anything but a cash payment at the local office. Yeah, sorry guys, I'm not taking time off of work in order to conform to your idiotic internal policies.

Yet somehow, I'm able to call in and make payments by phone. What the heck?

And then there's the time it took them over 3 weeks to send a technician out to fix a speed issue. Time off of work, waited at home with the door open, tech doesn't show. I call in, tech says there was nobody at home...

Strike 3, you're outta my house.

Bresnan provides an awesome service, but they REALLY need to get their poop in a group on their back end. 3 weeks to send a tech out is inexcusable, having the guy lie even more so.

Canceled effective next week, moving to Mountain West WiMax.