Bresnan Online page on DSLReports

Review by gjdunga See Profile

• Location: Penrose,Fremont,CO
Good "I've changed my Mind, Bresnan Sucks"
Bad "The Locals office staff is nice, the Corp ppl are loons"
Overall "If at all possible Don't go with them.."

(This Review Was updated 03/18/2010 - Items in ( ) are updated information. )

Bresnan has their Local offices in Canon City. I live in Penrose, It's about 15 miles away. They service Penrose, Florence, Canon City and some other fringe area's.

Bresnan took over the cable from a fly by night cable provider who put lines up as quick and as dirty as they could, and at that time was only used for television services.

It's taken Bresnan about 5 years to clean up most of the mess, install fiber and work out the kinks.
( They are still trying to clean up thier own mess, lines and amps that are leaking and other provider issues that make it very difficult to recommend this provider anymore)

I (Previously) Subscribe(d) to the 15mb Dn and 1.0 mb up plan.. as well as BASIC cable. I was provided a Surfboard Modem. The price is somewhat expensive but there is little down
time, and for the most part is decent. There is upstream congestion, and based on unscientific tests, they are throttling bandwidth. (Their Ping Times and uploading were terrible)

The Install went well, but the Tech's are nosy, and they are backlogged. They have PDA's that print your receipts, and were friendly.. It does take an act of god however for help thru the telephone to their support staff who apparently are in Billings MT. Again the local staff is fair, decent, but a little nosy..

About their Connection:
They have fiber backbones to Wyoming and to Grand Junction.
(They Either Don't know how to configure their pipes or it's intentional that their exit points are congested, and throttled. I removed the Information about Qwest as it seems they are still leasing previously melted fiber from them. (The fiber was damaged a while back in the Ft. Carson Fire and it seems to have never been fixed correctly)

(Tracert Removed, Information No longer correct)

As Noted By some others, They do have an issue with Cable Modem Inventory Control. For some reason, even if you purchase a Cable Modem (As I did later) Third Party and insert into the network, they want to make it "Theirs".. Keep your Modem Receipt if you purchase it third party, or keep your Bresnan receipt that shows you purchased it thru them..

(Updated: 03/18/2010
Since then I've had nothing but problems with Bresnan. I no longer use them. They throttle users connections via congestion. They force their users to use their DNS that is filled with their advertisements, and censors your searches. I've tried their VOIP service, thier DVR service, Anything to be on a higher tier to get better service, as they refuse to provide commercial service where I live. NOTHING.. I've been told they are getting bought out, so hopefully in three or four years, the management will have changed enough to consider them again. )

Comments:

Review by nate2073 See Profile

• Location: Helena,Lewis And Clark,MT
Good "Faster than DSL in Helena, MT. Port 80 open, useful for hobby web sites. Bittorrent works great, no caps."
Bad "Only issue is the national issue of broadband policy in America, but thats not ISP specific."
Overall "Upload, download speeds very near advertised speeds. Uptime excellent. Reliability excellent."

I can whole heartedly recommend Bresnan as an ISP. I'm loving Bresnan right now, their great.

EDIT: October 2, 2010

Bresnan at my location in Helena, MT, is greatly improved. Connection reliability is excellent. Upload speed and download speed are consistently very near the advertised speed. Bittorrent works great, although make sure you rate limit your upload so other customers have upload bandwidth. No known caps on upload or download. In general no trouble at all with Bresnan anymore. In Helena, MT, I can whole heartedly recommend Bresnan as an ISP. Some notes, I only use Bresnan as an ISP, I do not receive any other services from them, such as TV. I'm loving Bresnan right now, their great.

EDIT: Jan 8, 2010

Well there have been no outages for me for quite some time now. Bittorrent works but not as good as it used to because of their equipment changes in summer 2009. At least port 80 is open so you can host your own web site. When it comes to ports though, Qwest DSL is the best. Frankly 15/1 speed is a rip off! Of course the speed and price issue is part of a larger problem of broadband in the USA. If Bresnan had competition in Helena you can bet we would have faster speeds and cheaper pricing. I strongly recommend that if your in Helena you write to the city council to talk about municipal ISP. Bottom line is if you want the fastest speed you need Bresnan, if you want port flexibility you need Qwest DSL. If you want both you need to move elsewhere.

EDIT: September 22, 2009

What the heck happened to you Bresnan? You used to be so good. In the last 2 months it has been one slowdown and outage after another. In the last week there has been a massive slowdown in speed and big increase in latency. In the last several months I have been running a web server and DNS server and the Transmission-Daemon client/server without problem. And then in the last week it went to hell. I emailed tech support tonight and they relied already with an accusatory tone by saying and I quote "From the trace you sent, and the fact that ping times to your modem are in excess of 500ms, it leads us to believe you're passing some heavy traffic from your connection. Please let us know if you have any peer-to-peer applications or servers running, as that can lead to high usage of bandwidth, which would slow the rest of your connection down significantly." I emailed them back by saying yes I run servers but what does that have to do with anything. I think this just means that Bresnan has screwed up their network or they reduced my upload or they oversold the local node excessively.

EDIT: August 18, 2009

This morning my Internet stopped working. I called Bresnan and they were out at my place in about 10 minutes. The guy did a real good job of fixing my service. Turns out the outside box had a loose fitting. I'm real impressed with how quick they got here and fixed it. This was my first service call due to misbehaving equipment and not due to ISP wide outage.

EDIT: August 14, 2009

Starting around the afternoon of August 13, 2009, Bresnan had a multi state internet outage that lasted at least through today August 14, 2009. Bresnan did a horrible job at informing their customers about the internet outage. This morning they only had a small banner at the bottom of their site at bresnan.com saying "we are experiencing a network outage" that's it, that all it said. No ETA, no notice of anything. Bresnan needs to do a much better job at communicating current network status to their customers. I would suggest to Bresnan to create a dedicated network status page and to setup multiple ways of communicating to customers, perhaps like Twitter or a continuously running banner across the bottom of the TV. I am marking down Bresnan quite a bit for their crappy customer service concerning the outage.

EDIT: March 25, 2009

Bresnan DNS speed seems crappy. I don't know if I'm spoiled or not but when it comes to DNS speed I have very high expectations. I no longer use the Bresnan DNS servers. Instead I setup my own DNS server using Debian Lenny and Bind9. Now my DNS is great. My Bind9 setup bypasses the Bresnan servers entirely. Other than DNS, I am very satisfied with Bresnan upload/download. The only other issue is a minor annoyance with the lack of IPv6. Also the speed boost cost here in Helena, MT is around $65.

ORIGINAL POST:

I got the 6 months special for 39.95 then after it's 49.95 or 59.95, I can't remember. There are no caps that I'm aware of and it works great with Bittorrent.

I have been enjoying my service for quite some time now. Part way through my 6 month contract I upgraded to the speed plus plan and this boosted my speeds from 384Kb up to 1Mb up and 8Mb down to 15Mb down. The Bresnan network has been very reliable. The only thing I care about now is my insatiable need for upload speed because of bittorrent. I updated the monthly cost to reflect what I am now paying. I also decreased the radio button for "Value for money" by one to reflect the higher price, I would have left it up one if the price was say $55.

Comments:

Review by Karunamon See Profile

• Location: Casper,Natrona,WY
Good "Awesome performance!"
Bad "Scheduling, billing shenanigans, abysmal CS"
Overall "Unbeatable when it works, god help you if it doesn't. Avoid."

Bresnan is WAS the only available service in my area one year ago when I signed up. The service they offered me was 8/1, with an extra $5 to boost that to 15/1.5.

Let me get the good points out of the way first: The performance of the connection is absolutely top notch. You are unlikely to get a faster link in Wyoming without paying business-class cash.

Unfortunately, that's where the good ends.

It took over two weeks to get someone out to install my service the first time. I was greeted by a rather surly technician on the big day. Strike one.

Things were good until the 2nd month's billing came due. Apparently, Bresnan had seen fit to save my credit card information and automatically bill me for next month's service without informing me first.

For about $115 after fees, etc. I had just paid rent, so naturally the payment bounced. Cue the bank and bresnan getting a bit testy..

Strike two.

This has happened no less than 5 times with these clowns. Hitting my card automatically at random times with no rhyme nor reason.

It gets better and less sensical from here. After they did this the 2nd time, they placed a flag on my account that I am unable to make anything but a cash payment at the local office. Yeah, sorry guys, I'm not taking time off of work in order to conform to your idiotic internal policies.

Yet somehow, I'm able to call in and make payments by phone. What the heck?

And then there's the time it took them over 3 weeks to send a technician out to fix a speed issue. Time off of work, waited at home with the door open, tech doesn't show. I call in, tech says there was nobody at home...

Strike 3, you're outta my house.

Bresnan provides an awesome service, but they REALLY need to get their poop in a group on their back end. 3 weeks to send a tech out is inexcusable, having the guy lie even more so.

Canceled effective next week, moving to Mountain West WiMax.

Comments:

Review by jtnjw8 See Profile

• Location: Durango,La Plata,CO
Bad "horribly slow speeds; virtually unusable during peak hours"
Overall "Would NEVER recommend this service and am looking for other options after months of unresolved issues."

Bresnan Internet service in CO far worse than anything I ever experienced with Comcast in the midwest. Service has been problematic throughout the 3 years I have lived here. The problem has been much worse since the summer of 2009 and is often virtually unusable in the evening/night. The worst is that Bresnan until very very recently would not admit there was a problem. According to them, it was always an issue at my home (I have arranged to be at home for numerous tech visits and there is no problem) OR outside their network and therefore not their problem OR there really isn't a problem because they can see no problems with my modem. We also have Bresnan phone service and have significant delay issues with the phone as well at times. I'm not sure the phone and internet issues are connected, but it's annoying to talk over the person on the other end of the line so easily - doesn't make for good communication. It's hard to have respect for a company that doesn't take responsibility for long term systemic issues. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in realizing how poor the Bresnan service is and I would love to hear about other services that people are signing up for that they are happy with.

After months of extremely poor speeds (creeping during peak hours) and after a recent promise the problem was finally corrected.... there is no change...

Comments:

Review by Tychicus See Profile

• Location: Helena,Lewis And Clark,MT
Good "Sadly NOT very reliable the last 7 or 8 months/most recently doing better"
Bad "I have to pay extra to not have cable tv"
Overall "They are the only game in town overpriced compared to other ISP's in the country VERY Lackluster"

I have to say that originally the Bresnan buy out of Comcast was a great
thing for me.

There customer service was terrific.But is seems that since Bill passed on the company has too.
Here is a little story:

I could not find out anything aboutBresnan when the news hit the wires that they were taking over Broadband service in my area.

I found a web site with a number in New York (I live in Montana) I
called the number and was directed by an operator to the voice message of a one
"Leonard Higgins" I left my message and on the next working day he
called me back!

He asked me how he could help me out and I told him of my horrific
latency problems I had been experiencing.

He immediately knew what the problem was.I mean this was instantly.

He informed me that it was a bad router in Billings MT (about 180 miles
from me) now this might not seem so special, but I later found out that he is
the Senior Vice President of Advanced systems for Bresnan!

A Vice Pres of a division in a company which is covering several states, and he called me!

Which made me feel that they really are concerned with customer service.

The last few weeks have been better network wise although I am not getting nearly my $$ worth compared to other cable connects nation wide as I pay nearly $70 and get half or less the bandwidth for being charged double the price dont I feel special.

So for mid terms I will raise the grade from a D to a C and maybe even a C+ for effort.

Comments:

Review by Omega See Profile

• Location: Cheyenne,Laramie,WY
Good "Customer Service is nice"
Bad "Latency, slow speeds"
Overall "They pretty much have a monopoly out here, it's too bad Qwest has slow speeds"

When I came out here, I was looking forward to getting Bresnan. 8mbit in Cheyenne, WY which is in the middle of nowhere sounded too good to be true. Service was great from April 2009 to September 2009. Then Something happened, I don't know what.

Now (Oct 09) during peak hours my pings skyrocket. Gaming is nearly impossible as my ping goes from 350-600ms. My download speed is also slow. I don't know if my node is oversold or if it is the network itself, either way its annoying.

Installation was okay. The customer service people were very nice, but they were so overbooked/underemployed that I had to schedule 3 weeks out.

If these connection issues keep up, I will seriously consider moving to Qwest. Even though they only offer speeds of 3mbit, if they have a lower ping, it may be worth it.

Update (3/3)
Bresnan seems to have fixed the issue, at least locally. So +1 to them for taking action, but the fact remains that it took them nearly 6 months to act.

• Location: Montrose,Montrose,CO
Good "their tech support is great at making you feel like they're doing something, once you can reach them"
Bad "absolutely everything"
Overall "download speeds less than 1/7th of the 1.5MB Qwest DSL packages... sad"

Have had Bresnan three days and am already switching back to Qwest DSL. Currently paying for the 15MB down/1MB up plan and am receiving on average 100KB/s down, 5KB/s up speeds during offpeak hours, with latencies connecting to WoW servers of around 350+ms. Bresnan now says since the speed test to their servers shows I am getting the speeds I am paying for, there is nothing they can do - initially they told me they regularly "dialogue" with other providers when latencies are high, in an attempt to fix them. Page loads are painfully slow during peak, for any site, and download speeds drop even further. Tech support guy said they regularly have calls about high latencies to WoW servers (regularly enough that he keeps an updated list of where each realm's server is located) and slow download speeds on any site that isn't on their server, which is 99.9% of anything you want to look at, download, or run.

tracert to major sites such as yahoo (what bresnan asked me to check), google, and WoW servers during peak hours regularly timed out.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by jasonsca See Profile

• Location: Billings,Yellowstone,MT
Good "fastest advertised rates"
Bad "speeds never hit advertised rates, connections drop on daily basis"
Overall "as good as it gets in this area - doesn't compare to big city providers"

I moved here from Orange County, CA and the cable internet service I receive here does not even compare with the service I receive from Cox in Laguna Beach. I thought I had issues with Cox regarding consistency however I had nothing to compare it to. Bresnan here in Billings is awful when it comes to consistency of speed. Reliability is even worse. Is seems that most people around here don't have any other perception of what GOOD cable internet service is. Unfortunately I am stuck with Bresnan as it is the fastest advertised speed available. For the most part I do receive speeds greater than the other services available which are a couple of small wireless company's and DSL. I have the standard service rated at 8 megabits of which I typically achieve 5 megabits. I've never received 8! I use my own modem that I purchased when I arrived here this last summer. For convenience I purchased a somewhat expensive Motorola SBG900 - modem and wireless router together.

Comments:

Review by crizo See Profile

• Location: Great Falls,Cascade,MT
Good "I bet it's fast at 5:00 am."
Bad "Slow as dialup when I want to use it."
Overall "Monopoly power in some areas and bad service all around"

I've had Bresnan on and off for around 8 years at two locations. Most recently we've had them for 4 years. I've also used various DSL providers in the past. Bresnan cable Internet used to be very fast, and worked well, all the time. For the past 3 months, speeds have been dropping drastically. I'm regularly seeing speeds of 250Kb/sec during evening hours. That's 1/32 of the speed they advertise. Streaming video just plain does not work at these speeds. Look at the Bresnan forums on this site for many people having the same problem.

Here's a speed test from this evening:

»/im/83588726/174.png

I'm a web developer, so 24x7 Internet access is crucial to my job. If I could get DSL at our home today, I'd do it in a second. Tech support claims they have no idea what's going on - and constantly suggest that it's our hardware, or cabling, or out of their control. They also suggest that upgrading to their 15Mb/sec plan would help. The problem may be with their network peers, or the people they buy bandwidth from. Even so, I pay my bill to Bresnan for their service every month. I expect service in return.

I've spoken with a local Bresnan representative who confirms that they have serious issues that need addressing. No kidding?

I would suggest that anyone having long-term trouble with Bresnan, and no viable competitors to choose from consider filing an official complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I realize that the speed I'm paying for is "up to 8Mb/sec" - but there must be an ethical line somewhere...

In Great Falls, Montana, consider Qwest DSL if you can get it, or even Bridge Maxx. If Qwest was available at my home, or if Bridge Maxx were faster, I'd quit Bresnan in a heartbeat.

Comments:

Review by OneAfter9091 See Profile

• Location: Canon City,Fremont,CO
Good "Local office has convenient street parking"
Bad "Subpar Internet Service Provider"
Overall "Gaming? Streaming? If these things are important to you - look elsewhere"

I've had Bresnan for 5 years now and can honestly say they do not offer the same level of internet performance that can be found elsewhere. I have the Speed Plus service, mainly for gaming, and do get anything close to what they claim in their last advertisement as "insanely fast speed" most evenings. In fact, the only thing insane is their claim. Customer service while friendly is either in the dark or trying to keep me in the dark about the realities of their network problems at this time.

I'm in Colorado but based on the reviews and forum threads here it seems to be a common problem for Bresnan's subscribers in other areas. I'm currently considering going with another provider.