Bresnan Online page on DSLReports

Review by Hessian See Profile

• Location: Montrose,Montrose,CO
Good "Great connection for being in Redneckville. The connection has improved greatly this year."
Bad "Being routed through Montana."

Had some higher pings in the past, but those went away and they are now what I would expect. I got a new modem and router... very pleased so far... updated rating to reflect this.

Last updated: 07/05/11

Comments:

Review by O Anrai See Profile

• Location: Cheyenne,Laramie,WY
Good "Consistently good download speeds."
Bad "Very consistent"
Overall "I'm satisfied w/service."

Had Qwest, really pathetic, replaced w/Bresnan 15Mbps and haven't looked back since. 04022011 - Bresnan has since upgraded service to 18Mbps.

member for 14.3 years, 3347 visits, last login: 264 days ago

Comments:

Review by hyperaudio See Profile

• Location: Craig,Moffat,CO
Good "Speeds are right on target!"
Bad "None so far..."
Overall "Best speeds available here and decent price too"

I have been using Qwest DSL Platinum up to 7mbps that they offer here and we only get 3/.640 max in our area. It was almost $50.00/mo and was only down 2 or 3 times in the last 6 years I had it but I decided to try the Bresnan Plus service with up to 18/1 and it has been better than advertised so far.

I have had no downtime so far, speeds are pretty consistent at all times of day and I am very happy with the service of my local Bresnan.

The tech did a nice job of setting all of my line levels on the lines I installed and was great to work with.

Overall I am very happy with my decision and hope that it stays this way!

Comments:

Review by cablegeek01 See Profile

• Location: Cheyenne,Laramie,WY
Good "Speeds are looking MUCH better now"
Bad "none at the moment"
Overall "I'd recommend this service to anyone."

Update:

I moved to Cheyenne about 2 years ago, and Bresnan has been up and down in the speed/reliability department. Speeds were slowly degrading to the point where I was only getting about 1Mb down on my 15mb package at peak times. Bresnan recently upgraded their core network to a 10Gb ring and now speeds are consistantly at 15Mb on network, and considerably better than they were off net.

It took them a while, but it looks like they have their head back in the game.

Comments:

Review by Simba7 See Profile

• Location: Billings,Yellowstone,MT
Good "Stable 15x1 Performance, Phone Service, and Cable"
Bad "DVR has issues at times"
Overall "Great service and Tech Support at a decent price"

We've had Bresnan since my wife started working for them back in 2006. The only issue I had for a few years was the DVR. It seemed to have a mind and appetite of its own. Lately, it's been doing MUCH better and it hasn't eaten anything in quite awhile.

The internet access is quite good. I run a Cacti server here which monitors bandwidth, signal levels, and utilization. The only issue I had was the modem getting the wrong firmware (8mb instead of 15mb) every now and then. Other than that, it's pretty good.

The phone service is freakin' awesome. I haven't had 1 issue with it at all.

My wife does work for Bresnan (hence the $25/mo), but I'm extremely picky about my internet access (I'm not biased). I run a few servers along with 3 VPN tunnels. I did have alot of issues with the Pace DVR, but I'm glad almost all of them have been addressed.

member for 11.6 years, 2012 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by christcorp See Profile

• Location: Cheyenne,Laramie,WY
Good "Fastest speeds available in my area 15mb/1mb"
Bad "After 6 month intro promo; price goes to $62.90"
Overall "If you live in Cheyenne Wyoming, it's about the fastest you will find."

UPDATE: November 22nd 2009. I know some people still seem to have issues with Bresnan. Maybe I'm lucky, but no negative issues. The 6 month promo is over, so I am paying more per month than originally, but I'll live with it. No discounts when you only have internet service. I don't need their phone (I have REAL Voip "VoipO.com" ); and I don't need their cable tv (I have REAL TV service "Directv"). But I need more bandwidth than what Qwest can give me, and this is my only other option. The way I see it; IF, a big IF, Qwest could give be DRY Standalone 7mb DSL; it would be about $55 a month or close. So, the $65 a month I'm paying for the Bresnan 15/1mb service, it about on par. And I'm not required to have Windows Live or any other crap software like Qwest likes to push onto customers.

Now; price aside; let me mention reliability. I have NOT had the Bresnan Internet go out on me even 1 time; that wasn't my own fault. (I had a cabling issue that dropped the download single to around -15 to -17; and the upload to about 61-63. Definitely my fault. After fixing the cable issue, it's been around -2db on the download and about 50 on the upload. And has NEVER gone out on me. I live in Cheyenne; Sun Valley; if that helps anyone reading.

As for speeds. I would say that 85-90% of the time; ALL my speed tests are consistent with what I'm paying for. 15-16mb down and 1mb up. There are a few times when it's obvious that a lot of people in the neighborhood are doing their thing and surfing the internet too. But on a bad day/time, I'd say the slowest it's been has been around 7-8mb down and 1mb up. Latency still remains consistent; and my streaming video conferencing, netflix, voip, etc... are not effected.

When I was having issues (Which turned out to be my cabling); customer service was really cool. Yes, they have to read their scrips. And yes, I have forgotten more about the internet, computers, and technology than those service reps will ever learn in a life time; but they were polite and were helpful if for no other reason, than to assist me by monitoring the signal while I troubleshot and experimented with my end. So for that, I bump them up. They could have been pricks; but they weren't. They were very polite and professional. Other than that 3-4 week period where I was reconfiguring on my end, I've never had to call them for anything. I also bump up their service rating, because even though they are instructed to "Up-sell", just like all customers, I specifically spoke with the customer service department and requested that they NEVER call and NEVER email me with promotions or to sell me anything. If they did, and I was in a bad mood, I would cancel service with them altogether. (Service is VERY IMPORTANT TO ME). The respected my wishes. I have NEVER been called and NEVER emailed trying to up-sell me on anything.

I could save $10 a month with bresnan by getting their 8mb/1mb service, but on the slower days/times, I'm afraid it might drop around the 3-4 mb area. And that isn't very conducive to the type of video conferencing and such that I do. $65 a month might not be a great value, but for me it works fine. Anyway; I haven't had any issues. I'm not a gamer, and gamers tend to be a bit more anal about their internet connection. I don't know the type of usage those who have issues with Bresnan are, but it's fine in my area. I'm sure a lot depends on the backhall. I have all fiber in my neighborhood. The wiring in the house is all mine. So for me, no problems.

UPDATE: February 1st, 2009. Well, it's been a little over 1 month now. 5 weeks to be closer. I bumped up the reliability factor. It hasn't gone down 1 time in the time I've had it. Usually, besides the unforeseen issues like cars running into poles or driving over pedestals; if the service is prone to having issues, it will be seen in the 1st month.

I have noticed that like ALL CABLE PROVIDERS, there are times of the day when the service slows down somewhat because of more people using it. E.g. 4-6pm mon-fri after kids get home from school and people get off work. Weekends early after noon. But; having a 15mb/1mb service; I believe that the slowest I've ever seen has been around 8mb/1mb. Yes, there are some people that are really anal and would complain about this. "I'm paying for such and such and I DEMAND that I get what I'm paying for". Well, I'm not one of those people. I UNDERSTAND the technology, the TOS, the capabilities, how to do a speed test and what it means. (Most people definitely don't understand this), and I also have a life. But I would say that probably 80-90% of the time (At least when I am using it); I get the full 15mb/1mb service.

So for me, it's been a very good service so far. The latency and jitter are low enough that it doesn't hurt my voip and/or video conferencing. (Very time sensitive). Downloads are good (if you understand the servers you are downloading from). The few times I've call customer/tech support; e.g. set up email, verify I was allowed to stream Netflix, etc...; they have been FANTASTIC. No giving me a line of B.S. or anything. So, I've updated my review of them.

If CONSISTENT bandwidth was one of the most important things to me; then DSL is definitely what I would recommend. If you don't have 5-20mb DSL available, and cable is all you have as an alternative to 1.5mb dsl, then it's a hit or miss thing. Some towns like where I am at, Cable is great. The same provider in a town 300 miles away have nothing but complaints. That's the thing about cable. It's a town by town thing. DSL works within the ATM network; which is basically Ma'Bell's OWN LITTLE INTRA-NET. Which means with the exception of different dns servers and some minor issues, the service is the same no matter where you live. What changes with DSL is usually what is called "The Last Mile". The cables running to your house or the limitations of the DSL equipment in your neighborhood. But for those in a larger bresnan serviced area; e.g. Cheyenne, Casper, grand jct, etc... you'll probably love the service. If you are in a town/village; where the service is almost SUBCONTRACTED through other services to get to where it's going; you might have issues. But if 1.5mb dsl is the max you can get; then Bresnan is definitely worth a try. No contracts, month to month service, good customer support, etc...

*********************************************

I have been using Qwest DSL for the last 8 years. I am still a Qwest supporter and think their quality, service, and price are great. However; I really need more bandwidth, and Qwest has no intention of upgrading my area any time soon. Qwest 1.5mb/896kb service is $43 a month. Bresnan INTRO price for 6 months on 15mb/1mb service is $46.90 a month. For 6 months, a no brainer.

So far, latency is good . Averaging about 30-40ms less than Qwest DSL. Bandwidth fluctuates a lot, but it all ranges in the 12-15mb area. Upload is always around 1mb. Most important to me is jitter. (The difference in latency). So far, that has been very good. Less than 5ms. Necessary for Voip.

Anyway, after I do some more testing, I will update this review. For now, it's doing fine.

Comments:

Review by kirk2035 See Profile

• Location: Cheyenne,Laramie,WY
Good "Reliable and Consistant Performance"
Bad "NONE"
Overall "USE TOOLS HERE to MAX Performance !!!!!"

THE BEST CHOICE in Cheyenne - PERIOD !!!!!

member for 10.5 years, 973 visits, last login: 2.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by katzpjs See Profile

• Location: Kalispell,Flathead,MT
Good "Blazing speed, solid connect"
Bad "Couple of midday slowdowns over a 2 month period"
Overall "Outstanding service for the money"

I was paying the same annual average price for DSL and getting a fraction of what was promised. Now I get everything as promised and a little extra! 15M+ down/1000 up

Comments:

Review by jonathangree See Profile

• Location: Thermopolis,Hot Springs,WY
Good "Good down speeds, low latency, decent introductory price and super fast hook up. Ultra reliable."
Bad "Sluggish uploads, portal is intrusive but the best way to pay the bill, so a necessary evil."
Overall "If you want a speedy connection for a decent price and don't care about other services, Bresnan offers a pretty good service."

Bresnan offers cable internet at two tiers of service: the basic 8 mbit/s and speedier 15 mbit/s. The 8 mbs package is about $50 a month, although Bresnan has been offering a $10/mo discount for the first six months of service for over a year now. These prices reflect stand-alone purchase of services; I haven't bundled anything else with them.

The modem is a fairly standard Motorola style affair. They don't seem to mind routers, no MAC address registration is necessary, and their tech support has been satisfactory.

Comments:

Review by SoundPhantom See Profile

• Location: Mills,Natrona,WY
Good "Beats DSL most days"
Bad "having problems"
Overall "not bad, worth the monthly upkeep"

I'm currently using Bresnans basic online service (8Mbs down/386kbs up); the speed is good, but they seem to have a lot of malfunctions lately. I'm considering upgrading to their "Speed Plus" (15Mbs down/1Mbs up) package if they can get their equipment in order.