Clearwire page on DSLReports

Review by cleonamar See Profile

• Telco party Qwest
Good "No phone or cable lines to your house."
Bad "Impossible to get a real IP address. Forget static IP, you are always behind a NAT."
Overall "Only good for wanderers."

·Clearwire Wireless
Call me crazy, but I thought part of paying for internet, was getting an internet address. Sure that address would change every so often, but at least it was real. You could game with your friends, host a web server, etc.

Ask them if you could pay for a real address and they're response was "no, sorry, go somewhere else". So here I am warning others, DO NOT GET Clearwire!

Clearwire is doing the kind of cheat like if you re-sold some of your internet to your neighbor.

Comments:

Review by chosnbygrace See Profile

• Location: Las Vegas,Clark,NV
Bad "repeatedly pretend not to know why you aren't getting 4G speeds, lie about 4G, retaliate against complainers, block torrents"

They are liars and cheats. They falsely claim to give 4G speeds when everything is to the contrary, for example go to »eternian.wordpress.com and look them up, they are reviewed for June 2013 on that journal. They will waste a huge amount of your time using ridiculous lies to get around the fact they lie about giving 4G speed. In some cases you can expect next to no speed and they will retaliate against you if you complain about speed problems with torrents by outright blocking your ability to download torrents.

UPDATE 6/11/2013: I FOUND OUT THEY ARE ALSO BLOCKING ME FROM ACCESSING JAVA OVER THE INTERNET AND USING MESSENGERS! THEY KEEP PRETENDING THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT WHEN I'VE TRIED EVERY USELESS THING THEY'VE SAID AND KNOW NO VIRUS', TROJANS OR FIREWALLS HAVE CHANGED MY SETTINGS! I'VE NOT INSTALLED ANY SOFTWARE TO CHANGE ANYTHING! THESE ARE SHITBAG IDIOT LIARS!

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

Time to move on!

Why are you even trying to use a service with mostly bad reviews?

Review by ALLENIRON See Profile

• Location: Odessa,Ector,TX
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "If its all you can get may god be with you."
Bad "Everything you can imagine and then some."
Overall "Stay away don't get ripped off by these crooks!"

I have used clear since they first rolled out as Clearwire. for 6 years now i have suffered there worst and

there best. from grade a customer support to a support team i wouldn't pay pennies. from people who were

courteous to the rudest people on earth that make people like Hitler look like a saint.
I have always expected some bad service hear and there. After all no one is perfect and nothing infallible.

However the last 7 days have been unbearable. I have dealt with over 10 reps and while only 4 of them were

trying to help the rest could give a shit and care less. Speeds have been below Dial-up Speeds and sometimes

non existent . We get no credit on our bills when we cant use the service. We get no information about why its

going on they wont own up to anything just tell us its us and not them then it magically works for a few hours

at blazing speeds then back to nothing for hours. Tech reps tell you to reboot your modem never do this this

kicks you from there networks for hours. Also they throttle everyone the same. You say no big deal almost

everyone throttles. This is true but I pay for the high end service as we watch Netflix and play games online.

Other people may pay for the lower end service around 20$ a month I pay 50$ and I get throttled to the same

below dial-up speed as the lower end service which in no way do I feel is right or ethical to do to a customer

paying your paycheck.
At this point I wouldn't recommend Clear to my worst enemy as they wont even tell us why we don't have service

and would like to keep us chasing our own tails and bullshitting us to believing our hardware is broken.
Hell I had one tech rep tell me I wasn't covered in service area Last night! I have lived in the same house for

entire time I have had Clear. My modem is fixed to the external wall of the house in a custom fabricated case

which keeps it clean and safe from the elements and ensures no direct sunlight and maintains a beautiful 5 bars

of signal worst ever being 4 bars.
Now I assured the tech rep my house being 2500 sq-ft had not in fact moved out of the service area magically

floating or otherwise. After this he decided to terminate our conversation.
So for those of you thinking of investing in clear before you do check out
»www.google.com/finance?client=ob···DAQ:CLWR

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA

I signed up for the Clear Spot month to month plan. I called and cancelled my account, because in spite of the coverage map, my signal was weak and speed was bad. They did not cancel and kept billing me. When I called them to point it out and ask for a refund, they tried everything to not give me the refund. Then after saying they would give me a refund it turns out it was a partial refund. They wanted me to pay for half of their mistake and the offers got worse from there. They are NOT out to help the customer. I think they must be desperate for money. Given my experience you can count on NO help from Clear customer support. And I really question their coverage map.

Please give them a miss.

I like my Virgin MiFi very much. It works much much better than the Clear Spot!!

(review was emailed from domain jps.net)

Comments:

Review by SoulFood See Profile

• Location: Citrus Heights,Sacramento,CA
Good "nothing"
Bad "customer service is annoying and unhelpful service is horrid!"
Overall "they are a total scam and do not care about their customers"

Do not waste your money on this horrible service.

I purchased this service once and returned it right away as I found I was on edge of service area and got a refund for it.

I moved almost a year later to a whole different place and I asked the sales man if I would get good service or not because of my previous experience with Clear. He assured me!! that I WOULD GET GREAT SERVICE ((lies*)) in this new place. I trusted him otherwise would not have purchased the service. I was told I was near two towers who's signals cover me great.

Wrong! The whole time I got super slow speeds and continually called customer service who each time checked everything with me and said they boosted the signal and see I am getting great speeds there. Well I wasn't.

Also I was told that trial period was 30 days I found out over a month later it is 15 days trial period.

I did everything I could to get a faster speed including put my modem outside. I even went so far as to call them and get my service charged 15 $ more to think I would get a better service or signal...no I did not! I was paying 55$ at that point for a .07mbs speed!!!!

I was fed up and called for 3 days in a row upon the third day I asked for my service to be discontinued and that I would return their modem and get my money back. I had been lied to continually by their customer service telling me my speed and service would improve and it had not.

on another note why I am angry at them: after not being able to return the modem for that 110$ back because they said I was out of the trial period I asked them to at least refund me the money I prepaid for service that I was now NOT GETTING because a manger decided to turn off my account. I basically should have been reimbursed for 20 days of their service I wasn’t getting because a manager canceled my account. Well they said no and decided to take that money for themselves.

A manager knew that shutting off my account would take that service and money from me.

They also tried to tell me that I used their service ... omg no way I used your service I paid to use a service and I had to use it twice as much because it took 4 times as long to do anything on the net with it.

Horrible waste of time and energy and money experience. Horrible customer service! Will tell you they understand and care and they really just don't give a crap about you. Also whatever number I was called from I can't call back cuz it's in another country. SCAM service.

They will tell you one thing to get you in but their service covers no one. They can se it on a map and will lie to you. you will always be on "edge of service area" in the end. Super annoying. Then they will try to make it all your fault. Rude. I have never had to deal with such a bad business ever.

Comments:

Review by greybear125

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (month by month)
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "When it is good it is very, very good (mostly)"
Bad "When it is bad it is horrid (goes away completely)"
Overall "Do not bother unless you know for a certainty that it works in your area"

These guys offer services around the US. They may be great in your locale, but in general they have some issues and right here in Culver City, CA the service stinks. I had high hopes, they were dashed.

In the 50 days I have had the service I have been on the phone with their tech support, both junior and senior, for more than 6 hours. I am a very experienced techie and I am patient, but there are limits. I =

have been trying, patiently, ever since I got this service, to get the problems with it diagnosed. I was told that the problem was in my installation (not the case). Then I was told that the problem was in their local installation "at the pole" and that it would be fixed in a week. I was patient. The problems (slow / highly variable speeds and =

total disappearance of service), have persisted. Sometimes it gives 6 Mbps, sometimes 2, sometimes 1, but far too often, no service at all. The last senior tech support guy, on the second or third call, finally confirmed that yes, there was a service problem on their end, at several poles in the area, and but that he could not tell me when it might be fixed. Could be a month, could be a year.

Lousy service. No refund for poor service and they would not accept returned equipment after 30 days. I give up. I just cancelled the service and am telling the digital world just what kind of poor service they can expect.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

bayouvon

@cox.net

Cable service isn't much better

I have Cox cable ... and the service is not much better. I could have written the same comments. "In the [past 3 years] I have been on the phone with their tech support staff, both junior and senior, on numerous occasions for more than [2 hours]. I am a very experienced techie and I am patient, but there are limits.

I have been trying, patiently, ever since I got Cox cable service, to get the problems with it diagnosed. I was told that the problem was in my installation (not the case). Then I was told that the problem was in their local installation "at the pole" and that it would be fixed in a week. I was patient. The problems (slow / highly variable speeds and intermittent problems when service was so slow [much slower speed than was promised], have persisted. Sometimes it gives 10 Mbps, sometimes 1-2, sometimes less than 1, but far too often, really bad service. The last senior tech support guy, on the second or third call, finally confirmed that yes, there was a service problem on their end, at several poles in the area, and but that he could not tell me when it might be fixed. Could be a month, could be a year.

Lousy service. Only positive is they credited my account a months payment.

• Location: Wayne,Delaware,PA
Good "Price"
Bad "Service, Coverage, Unauthorized Billing, Customer Support"
Overall "Not worth the money at any price"

Terrible service and dishonest billing practices.

I have tried this service in Philadelphia, PA. The coverage was VERY spotty. Even within center city the signal would go from red to green from block to block. It's completely hopeless to use it on a regional rail since the suburban coverage is even worse and varies by zip-code. Worst of all, when the signal is actually good, the connection actually on par with 3G modem. Because of these issues I've had to cancel my service.

Much to my surprise Clearwire started billing my account again half a year after I have canceled my service. They are refusing the reverse the charges and reaching customer service is a nightmare.

Run, don't walk away form Clearwire.

• Location: Las Vegas,Clark,NV
Good "Nothing!"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Hated It!"

Clear is HORRIBLE!! From the first day I signed up it was terrible! The
Service itself is horrible and slow and then their Customer Service is just
as bad! I called to cancel 3 times and instead of canceling they talked me
into switching equipment/service and promised it would be better. It
WASN'T. Then when I finally cancelled for good and sent back both pieces of
equipment they wanted to charge me $43 for "restocking" fee. The equipment
was used (sitting on a table) for 2 weeks and they said they needed to
charge me this fee to take care of any maintenance that needed to be done
to it before they send it out to the next person. After I have cancelled
they start calling me two times a day (automated) and want to charge me
this fee. The only reason they weren't able to charge me on the first
credit card was because I have moved and I had changed my billing address.
I'm sure they get away with this $43 charge all the time from people they
charge that don't notice it! I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THESE GUYS TO MY LEAST
FAVORITE PERSON IN THE WORLD!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by jm80ny

• Location: New York,New York,NY

2 weeks ago my Clear Home Modem stopped working. After spending several
frustrating hours on the phone with brain dead CSR and Tech Support
mornons, I finally got somebody with a pulse (Level 3 tech support). He
informed me that in the companies infinite wisdom they tilted the tower
that I connect to, so that I no longer get service in my apartment.

I won though. I was able to cancel without paying the fee. Victory!

Never get this service, they suck and will be out of business in months.

Hello Customer. Please wait while we find a CLEAR specialist to help you.
You are an existing customer with a Tech Support question.

You have been connected to tt_Maria Isabel N.

tt_Maria Isabel N: Customer, thank you for contacting our web chat
support. So I may better assist you, may I get the phone number
associated with the account, please?

Customer: --------------------

tt_Maria Isabel N: thnak you

tt_Maria Isabel N: I would be happy to help you further. Would you
verify the account please by telling me the name of your first pet?

Customer: spencer

tt_Maria Isabel N: thanks agabin.

tt_Maria Isabel N: *again

tt_Maria Isabel N: let me check the notes here first.

Customer: please take your time. and look over my account.

Customer: my major fustration is people keep asking me the same questions

tt_Maria Isabel N: i will thank you.

tt_Maria Isabel N: hold on there please.

tt_Maria Isabel N: Thisa is the home modem we are talking about is that
correct?

tt_Maria Isabel N: okay.

tt_Maria Isabel N: Right now how manuy lights do you have in your modem?

Customer: 5

Customer: I've always had between 4 and 5

Customer: on both modems

tt_Maria Isabel N: that is a good signal.

Customer: remember I got a replacement on friday.

tt_Maria Isabel N: correct.

tt_Maria Isabel N: Can you please verify the service address?

tt_Maria Isabel N: Thank you one moment

Customer: ------------------------------ is the billing address and the
only address I've ever had on this account.

tt_Maria Isabel N: okay.

tt_Maria Isabel N: You should be receiving a very good signal on this area.

tt_Maria Isabel N: Can you please provide me the Mac id of your clear
device?
You can find it in the sticker at the back or at the bottom of the modem
and it starts in 00. Thank you.

Customer: Yes. I know.

tt_Maria Isabel N: yeah

Customer: -------------

tt_Maria Isabel N: thank you.

tt_Maria Isabel N: do you video stream?

Customer: Hey Maria, can I interrupt you for a second and just purpose
my own theory.

tt_Maria Isabel N: yeah sure1

tt_Maria Isabel N: what is it?

Customer: I've been a clear customer since January of this year. The
whole time I've been using the same equipment, streaming video, and it's
been working fine. I've promoted your service to my friends and even
added a USB Modem, which my friend uses.

tt_Maria Isabel N: and then

Customer: Nothing changed on monday

tt_Maria Isabel N: please continue

tt_Maria Isabel N: still there?

Customer: standby

tt_Maria Isabel N: okay

Customer: sorry about that somebody called.

tt_Maria Isabel N: that's okay

Customer: but nothing changed on monday, I didn't move, I didn't get a
new wireless device, I didn't move my tower or my wifi router,

tt_Maria Isabel N: oh

Customer: yet my service slowed to imeasurable speeds.

tt_Maria Isabel N: .

Customer: I proceeded trouble shoot my equipment. I used my modem
directly plugged into both my windows desktop and laptop, but they both
preformed the same.

tt_Maria Isabel N: okay.........

Customer: I was able to bring home a verizon wifi device and try a
different ISP on all my equipment and my equipment worked fine.

tt_Maria Isabel N: .

Customer: I was able to pursuade, with great difficulty for you to send
me a new series M modem

Customer: it arrived on friday and I had the same result.

tt_Maria Isabel N: i do apologize for that.

Customer: still no luck

tt_Maria Isabel N: .

Customer: I'm talking to you right now using all the same equipment,
just using my neighbors wifi router and comcast internet cable.

tt_Maria Isabel N: okay

tt_Maria Isabel N: thanks for telling me all of these.

Customer: My friends service is working fine with the USB Modem

tt_Maria Isabel N: Can you please place the device near the window whre
it can get enough sign al?

tt_Maria Isabel N: I will refresh your connection here on mye end.

Customer: I'm starting to think that there is something fundementaly
wrong with the Motorola Series M/Windows Vista and my local network

tt_Maria Isabel N: .

Customer: every other person tried to refresh it

tt_Maria Isabel N: .

Customer: remember on friday after I got the new modem we troubleshot
my computer to death with a level 2 service rep.

tt_Maria Isabel N: one moment please.

Customer: he told me that he was going to do a service request on the
network and somebody would call me in 24 hours

tt_Maria Isabel N: .

Customer: regardless, I want to continue being a customer at clear

Customer: I noticed that you offer sever different types of modems

tt_Maria Isabel N: yes we do.

Customer: maybe a different model modem would simply correct the problem

tt_Maria Isabel N: It would be better if you could check our devices
and rate plans in clear.com

Customer: You can offer me any product as long as it will get me
connected and you can offer it to me for the same terms

tt_Maria Isabel N: it would be better if you can check it out.

Customer: ok hang on a second

Thank you for visiting clear.com. You may now close this window.

Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

At this point Maria disconnected me for whatever reason. I had to take
a work call and I tried to get her back after 10 minutes.

Hello Customer. Please wait while we find a CLEAR specialist to help you.
You are customer with a Tech Support question.

You have been connected to Leigh.

Leigh: Customer, thank you for chatting with Clear. So I can help, may
I please have the 10 digit phone number on the account?

Leigh: oh upon checking here, you wanted to speak with tt_Maria Isabel
N. right? what sees to be the issue. I can absolutely assist you but I
can still transfer you if you want,

Customer: please transfer me

Leigh: one moment please

Customer: ty

Leigh: just be patient. I am currently trying to connect you

Customer: pk

Customer: ok

tt_Maria Isabel N has entered the session.

Leigh has left the session.

Customer: Maria

tt_Maria Isabel N: hello!

Customer: hi

Customer: I had to take a work call

tt_Maria Isabel N: oh okay.

Customer: so my point was, I just want to get the situation resolved

tt_Maria Isabel N: i'm sorry we got disconnected.

Customer: its okay

tt_Maria Isabel N: thanks.

tt_Maria Isabel N: Where were we? lol

Customer: ok.

tt_Maria Isabel N: .

Customer: we thourghly troubleshooted my equipment, but all logical
conclusions point towards your network or a problem between ur network
and the motorol series M in my specific area

tt_Maria Isabel N: .

Customer: If you had we offer me another model maybe it will resolve
the issue

tt_Maria Isabel N: okay.

tt_Maria Isabel N: If that would be the case, you will have to....

tt_Maria Isabel N: one msecond please.

Customer: standing by

tt_Maria Isabel N: okay thanks.

Customer: .

tt_Maria Isabel N: Thank you Customer.

tt_Maria Isabel N: You know what? There has been a lot of changes

Customer: ohh

tt_Maria Isabel N: regarding some procedures and policies here.

Customer: oh

Customer: ohh

tt_Maria Isabel N: you are now under contract, correct? but when you do
a modem upgrade, you will hwv to pay $50.00 for the modem and change
your plan to month to month autjomatically.

Customer: ok Maria, here's the thing. I started a contract with you in
January for a service which your company in effect hasn't provided me
since monday of last week. I've made extensive efforts at nausiema to
resolve the issue, but you've failed to restore service to what it was.
I fully expected to get compensated until you can restore serivce as per
our original agreement or let me out of contract.

tt_Maria Isabel N: Let me just check something. You were out of service
since when?

Customer: i've paid my bill in full every month on time

Customer: monday october 24

tt_Maria Isabel N: okay for now i will refresh your conection first.

Customer: ok, but that probably won't do anything

tt_Maria Isabel N: if still nothing happens within 24 hrs you can call
us back and we'll do something about it.

Customer: thats unfair

Customer: i spent an hour on the phone with advanced tech support on
friday october 28th

tt_Maria Isabel N: Are you using the device to the service address that
is here on file?

Customer: yes

tt_Maria Isabel N: okay let m chenck for the coverage.

Customer: tt_Maria Isabel N: Can you please verify the service address?
tt_Maria Isabel N: Thank you one moment
Customer: ----------------------------------------------- is the billing
address and the only address I've ever had on this account.
tt_Maria Isabel N: okay.
tt_Maria Isabel N: You should be receiving a very good signal on this area.

tt_Maria Isabel N: oh i already checked it yes i remember.

tt_Maria Isabel N: I'm sorry about that.

Customer: I was told on friday october 28th that somebody would call me
back within 24 hours

tt_Maria Isabel N: So many chats handled.

Customer: nobody called me back. I tried to get on the phone 3 times
with a customer service supervisor and i was disconnected 3 times.

tt_Maria Isabel N: That is the only option that you have right now
Customer.

Customer: I've been working on this for a week now

tt_Maria Isabel N: the information i gave you.

Customer: today I've spent nearly 3 hours

tt_Maria Isabel N: .I 'm sorry about that.

tt_Maria Isabel N: .I 'm sorry about that.

tt_Maria Isabel N: You can all check it at clear.com

tt_Maria Isabel N: all the changes that is happening with Clear

Customer: that is unexceptable

tt_Maria Isabel N: that is the problem with what we have right now.

Customer: This needs to be brought to the attention of a supervisor

Customer: you are charging me for a service you are not providing and
you are not in compliance with FCC regulations

tt_Maria Isabel N: We are having difficulties explaining it to iur
customers.

Customer: that is correct

tt_Maria Isabel N: I'm really very sorry.

Customer: sorry is not going to cut it.

Customer: I'm not paying 60 a month for I'm sorry

tt_Maria Isabel N: I can give you a number which you can call.

tt_Maria Isabel N: I totally understand your situation.

Customer: it better not be the same one I've called a dozen times over
the past week. they will ask me the same questions

tt_Maria Isabel N: .\

Customer: disconnected 3 times today trying to talk to a supervisor

tt_Maria Isabel N: .

tt_Maria Isabel N: For now i just refresh your connection.

tt_Maria Isabel N: have you tried clearing your cache and cookies?

Customer: if I were to go and check it, I'd have to disconnect from
neighbors wifi and I'd loose this chat session.

Customer: OH MY GOD YESS!!!! WE CLEARED MY CACHE, COOKIES, AND HISTORY

tt_Maria Isabel N: .

Customer: we did about a dozen diagnostics

tt_Maria Isabel N: .

tt_Maria Isabel N: let me check if there is an outage there.

Customer: It is an irrefutiable fact that the problem is with your
equipment and your network

Customer: that's what I was told on friday october 28th by your
advanced technical support rep. after troubleshooting my equipment for
about an hour he told me to turn off my modem and somebody would call in
24 hours. That was 3 days ago

tt_Maria Isabel N: There is no outage in the area.

Customer: yeah

Customer: and my friend is using his USB modem all over LA without a
problem

Customer: that is the 2nd device on my plan which I added in august

Customer: look

tt_Maria Isabel N: That is the only option that is left.

Customer: no

Customer: there is another option

Customer: you can simply give me equipment that works

Customer: I've been without service for a full week

Customer: I've patiently waited

tt_Maria Isabel N: one moment please.

tt_Maria Isabel N: Okay Customer.

Customer: k

Customer: Maria

Customer: ...

tt_Maria Isabel N: can you please wait?

Customer: ok

tt_Maria Isabel N: .

Customer: I much rather hold on chat then hold on the phone, get hung
up on, then not be able to find the person who was helping me. that's
why I'm using chat

tt_Maria Isabel N: Since you were having this kind of issue before, you
should check your computer.

tt_Maria Isabel N: Maybe that's why you are experinecing the slolw
speed issue.

Customer: oh my god

tt_Maria Isabel N: There is nothng wrong with our modem.

Customer: it's not my computer

tt_Maria Isabel N: You are having a very good signal

Customer: I'm using my neighbors wifi on the same desktop

tt_Maria Isabel N: you are having 5 lights.

Customer: my equipment is working fine

Customer: i told you that 3 times

tt_Maria Isabel N: There is nothing else i can offer you with.

Customer: I've told every person I've spoken to these same things

Customer: you need to offer me internet service

tt_Maria Isabel N: I can give yo a number whikcjh you can call.

Customer: you are not doing that right now

tt_Maria Isabel N: That is 888-888-3113.

Customer: I'm saving this chat

Customer: I will forward this

tt_Maria Isabel N: Account services.

Customer: to the BBB

tt_Maria Isabel N: i'm not doing any thing wrong.

Customer: I will forward this to the FCC or the attorney general

tt_Maria Isabel N: I'm just giving you information.

Customer: your company is charging me for a service you are not providing

Customer: there is something wrong with that

tt_Maria Isabel N: .

Customer: that is simply common sense

tt_Maria Isabel N: .

Thank you for visiting clear.com. You may now close this window.

Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by OrionFL79 See Profile

• Location: West Palm Beach,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Modem looks pretty..."
Bad "Horrible reception, only 2mb/s - advertised as 6! Incompatent customer service."
Overall "Stay away! Beware! Danger Will Robinson!!!!!"

Forget all the horror stories about these guys throttling your connection down to dialup speeds if you watch too much Netflix or heaven forbid you download something big like the latest Fedora distro. That alone had me spooked enough to regret my order literally within hours of placing it.

Three days after placing my order, my modem just arrived today. It looks neat - I'll give them that much, although the web UI leaves much to be desired functionality wise.

Anywho, within an hour of Fedex rather rudely (as usual) pounding me out of a sound sleep at 1:00 in the afternoon I had everything unpacked and setup - bypassing my router by plugging directly into my laptop to avoid any of those goofey address problems that are so common when setting up new broadband stuff. Within minutes, after a watching a rather captivating dance of blinkenlights I was online! But oops - I only had two signal bars. Oh well, according to the support docs thats acceptable right? So I went ahead and ran a speed test. First try, dialup speed! (.3mb down, .5mb up) Ok, that can't be right - so I reset the thing, watched that lovely little dance of lights and tried again. This time I was able to get 2.5mb down, .5 up.

Ok, not too bad I thought - still slower than my DSL but its probably because I only have two bars. So then began the hunt for a better signal. As was suggested, I tried different areas of my house (bathroom, closet, kitchen, living room, dining room, dungeon (j/k), even the darned front porch) - but no luck. Still two bars no matter what direction I turned. Discouraged, I returned back to my bedroom - but wait! Just in the middle of the room, if I stand on one foot, one arm pointed south with the other holding the modem toward the ceiling - TADA! Five bars!!! But wait... How am I supposed to juggle a 20lb Alienware Tanktop while holding this *bleep*-ing modem in a rather undignified position resembling that of a piddling cherub?

By this point I'd had it! With images of my grandfather messing with the rabbit ears on his old console TV floating through my head while fighting an ever so strong urge to smash that hell-spawn of a modem and its damned blinkenlights into many many MANY tiny little pieces, I just gave up. Packed everything up in the box it came in and called in to cancel my account. Never knowing if the rumors of throttling were true, or for that matter if this thing is even capable of post 2003 DSL speeds.

But wait... Just when you think my little trip down the rabbit hole of 4G internet has come to an end, in comes the fiasco of Clear's customer service. I'm telling ya, I now know where Capital One got its inspiration for its commercial with the woman trying to redeem her points! After three calls, all of which landed me to the same person who identified herself by at least four different names for each department she supposedly transferred me to - over two hours on the phone with a horrible connection which by this point left me shouting "NO I DO NOT WANT A FREE MONTH'S SERVICE I JUST WANT TO CANCEL!" after listening to Mary / Anne / Harriet / Queen Elizabeth / whatever this woman's name was offer me all sorts of deals and discounts and rebates to try and get me to stay - mission accomplished. Or so I hope! It's been well over an hour since our dear Clear employee with the multiple personalities promised to process my cancellation and email over a return label for their demonic modem of doom. But we shall see I suppose!

Long story short - stay away! These guys truly are horrible and if my experiences today are at all common for this company - they're far less than trustworthy!