Clearwire page on DSLReports

Review by jerrysfl See Profile

• Location: Hollywood,Broward,FL
Good "Not AT&T"
Bad "Not as fast as advertised, gateway sucks"
Overall "Not bad for the price , when it works it's very fast. good alt to AT&T"

·T-Mobile US
ClearWire 4g is a good alternative to AT&T faster speed for about the same price and so far no real problems. Basic service $35 for up to 1.5 Mbps down and .5 up. I try that first and got 1.9 down and .5 up I upgraded to the $50 plan advertised at 6 down and 1 down and am a little disappointed getting 3 down .75 up about half of advert speed 1/2 mile from tower with great signal . Ordered to express hub gateway hopping I would not need anything has built in wi Fi and 2 Ethernet ports but the wi fi range sucked 15 feet away in another room poor signal strength no matter which channel one uses. Had to just use ip pass trough to my old faintful Linksys WRT54gl , I have tried to replace her for something faster a newer but never found anything better and more stable. Inthink I will keep Clearwire but go back to basic plan $35 do see any speed difference for the extra $15 . If I did it again I would of just order the cheapest moden and use my own router since their Express Hub is not very good. update 6/2012 still works well no outage speed still the same , not bad. Stream sling box dish no problem , vpn , ddns and magic jack all work fine. Still happy.

Comments:

Review by WKPoschman See Profile

• Location: Quincy,Norfolk,MA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Plugged in modem, plugged in ethernet and it literally worked - and fast compared to DSL"
Bad "Occasionally loses signal due to environmental conditions (<1 day for sure though)"
Overall "If in a Clear WiMax coverage area, don't want to deal with the cable co, but do want 5Mbps-10Mbps this is a great option!"

I had Verizon Highspeed Internet (aka DSL) for 10 years but the service never changed or improved and I never could get more than 1 to 1.2Mbps on a good day (at the edge of the CO service area granted). Since VZ is not building out FiOS in most areas (financial cost in CO and cabling work and low penetration at ~30% so no surprise) and the "wireless" FiOS CAN option is not widely available, I needed another option. 3G is equivalent to DSL but when 4G WiMax became available and Clear offered a modem, it seemed worth trying. The modems are a drop in replacement ofr any DSL or cable modem and are self-contained (read: the modem manages itself and the connection). So far the connection has been stable and is much faster than the DSL connection by a factor of 5 typically. I have no regrets. We'll see how the long term run is but unless there is a degradation of service or a Netflix-esque price increase I think I've found my next ISP for the forseeable future.

Comments:

Review by revmichaeld See Profile

• Location: Gwynn Oak,Baltimore,MD
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Can get service anywhere in Baltimore,"
Bad "it's not as fast as Comcast but it is plenty fast for what I need."
Overall "If you are looking for an easy install without technicians and want to use your computer anywhere than Clearwire is it"

I have only had the service for a few days but I can say the service has been awesome. I love the fact that I can get online without having to search for a hotspot or using my cellphone to surf that net when I am not home. The speed of the service is decent and I have not experienced any outages or service failures. The installation was easy for my home computers I just swapped out my cable modem and installed the new home wireless modem to the router and the new laptop that I purchased from Clear was already active when I turned on the computer for the first time.

So I will have to give this service A rating right now.

UPDATE 9/17/2011

I have had Clearwire for my home and laptop for about 2 years and I am still enjoying a decent service. Service has been very reliable regarding both speed and outages. I can only count 1 time when the service was about for about 5 minutes and about 1 other time when it was about for about 2 minutes.

The speed of the service is not as fast as cable or a high end DSL or FIOS line but for what I need I have been more than happy. I have not experienced heavy throttling on my service and I use about 20GB per month on average per computer.

I have never had to reposition the modem for any reason other than aesthetics and the modem still consistantly pulls 5 bars. I rarely see the signal drop to 4 bars and have yet to see it go to 3 or less bars.

Billing is consistent they bill me $60.29 per month and the price has never chanaged since I have received services.

I rarely contact customer support but when I have I have had 100% resolution of any issues or questions that I call about. I have never had a multi- day issue occur.

I would continue to recommend this service to anyone who needs a medium duty Highspeed easy to use home or mobile internet service. I have avoided the phone product in favor of Nettalk and the service so far has made the Nettalk product a top rated product in my home.

member for 13.8 years, 1654 visits, last login: 195 days ago

Comments:

chelaray

@mindspring.com

Terrible Customer Servie from Clearwire

I just tried to sign up for clearwire internet service and have been thoroughly angered and dissatisfied with their customer service. First, the first agent I spoke with sold me an internet package that was totally incompatible with my computer and home set-up. He never asked me what kind of computer I use, and sent me hardware for a PC. I use Mac. I was told my account would be charged $25. I was charged $108. He never explained the cost or options regarding hardware. When I tried to change the service I was on the phone for over an hour sorting it out because the service agent was outsourced and we could barely understand each other. After finally deciding on the appropriate service, I was told that service was not available in my area. One would think they might figure that out before being on the phone for an hour. After canceling the account that day I have had to call back twice because I have yet to be sent return shipping labels or be refunded the money I was charged.

Review by mikalares See Profile

• Location: Erlanger,Kenton,KY
  • Telco party Cincinnati Bell
Good "Good speeds, excellent signal strength, cheap."
Bad "Nothing yet?"
Overall "If it stays this way, I'll be a happy camper."

»speedtest.net/result/1322648214.png

It's only been a day, but I'm consistently seeing speeds between 8-12 Mb/s on the down and I'm hitting the 1 Mb/s cap on the up every time, all afternoon and into the evening. I live under five miles from seven Clearwire towers, with the closest being about half a mile from me. Maybe this is the reason I'm getting such good results? I'm not an extremely heavy user, but I guess it remains to be seen on the capping.

I bought my Clearspot so I'm not under any contract.

UPDATE: I've been with Clear for a month now. Outside of one problem in the beginning in which my Clear Spot's wireless connection was 'spotty' (little pun intended there) and Clear made me jump through hoops before giving me the switch from unlimited Mobile to unlimited Home, I really couldn't be happier.

I consistently see speeds well above the 3-6Mbps I'm paying for and it's only dropped below the 3 one time. I've had a handful of minor outages during really bad thunderstorms, but none of them have lasted longer than 20 minutes. I've seen no sign of the reported 'throttle monster' and let me tell you I have USED my internet. I've treated it no differently than I would any other ISP. I've streamed Netflix and Hulu both on my laptop and via Roku boxes. I've downloaded tons of files. I can't say for sure how much data I've used, but know that it's a lot. I understand that results vary greatly with this service depending on location, but where I'm at? It's been well above my expectations.

Comments:

Review by chgo_man99 See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "decent speed, latency, free from wi-fi hotspots"
Bad "does not work when traveling, connections drop"
Overall "great value for a price for mobile internet"

·Mediacom
I had this for a short trial and I liked it.

Beware than if you plan use it on train, the connections are not as reliable as 3G.
However, Clear offers also 3G service for additional $15 so it may be your backup.

Comments:

Review by clink54 See Profile

• Location: Bedford,Tarrant,TX
Good "Fast Connection, Low Price"
Bad "Latency"
Overall "Works well so far"

My Clear Motorola Home CPE arrived by FEDEX today. I plugged it in and within 3 minutes I had 5 bars. I connected my iMac to the modem and had instant connectivity. My first SpeedTest came in at 11.25Mbps download and 1.02 upload. Latency however was over 200. I connected the modem to my old WR850g router and after updating the firmware I had great connectivity. Speeds have averaged around 10Mbps throughout the afternoon and evening. The lowest speed I've seen was 6.8. Hope this continues.

The iMac speedtests were conducted with an ethernet connection. Wireless speeds on my antique network are running around 5Mbps.

The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is why my iPad speed is so slow. I'm now averaging about 1.3 Mbps, where with the old AT&T dsl I would get 3.6 or better.

Comments:

Review by soccerguy See Profile

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
Good "Fast, reliable 4G connection for a really good price."
Bad "None yet, although I hear customer service is a bear to deal with."
Overall "Already referred a friend looking to save money."

After many years, I decided to dump my overpriced 1.5mbps home dsl line from Speakeasy, which was hard to do, as I love Speakeasy and still use them for my business.

I signed up for Clear's new 4G WiMAX service in Seattle, which launched in early December 2009. Picked unlimited home internet ("unlimited"mbps down/1 mbps up) for $30/month and unlimited USB modem for my laptop at $25/month.

Installation (user) was very, very easy for both the home modem and the USB modem.

So far so good. Rock solid connection at home, averaging 5mbps down/1 mbps up. Solid connection with my laptop, averaging anywhere from 4mbps to 7mbps down in Seattle metro with 1.0mbps up.

Still waiting to see what happens to my connection in severe, inclimate weather. But other than that, I have had ZERO complaints. I've heard from many corners that Clear's 3G service bites, but so far, at least for me, their 4G service rocks. We'll see if that holds true over time.

member for 9.8 years, 1231 visits, last login: 3.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by bcdady See Profile

• Location: Kenmore,King,WA
Good "Mobility, price, I'm not supporting the Comcast empire"
Bad "Occassional speed/connection problems"
Overall "A decent alternative to cable and DSL"

I was tired of Comcasts connection issues at my last home, so I decided I didn't want to use them again. I have also given DSL a fair spin and didn't want to go back. A friend strongly recommended Verizon's FIOS, but it's not offered here yet, so that pretty much left me with Clearwire.

I didn't want to get stuck in one of their contract plans (I eventually did anyway, but I didn't pay their $150 for the modem), so I bought the modem on eBay. This turned out to be more trouble than it was worth because I had to wait several days for upper level tech support to update their records so the modem could be attached to my new account. I selected the ClearPremium plan which gives me up to 1.5Mbps download and 256Kbps upload max speeds for $36.99 + tax (if you opt for the rental modem, they charge another $4.99/mo).

I've done some speed testing and had mixed results, but no solid culprit yet. Apparently bad weather can interfere with the Clearwire signal, and the modems also get stronger signals near windows. Even with what I've learned, I still have occasional connection quality issues, as evidenced by my corporate VPN connections being dropped without warning. But this is an improvement in service consistency and prices over my past Comcast plan, so I'm content.

Comments:

Review by Talderon See Profile

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
Good "Mobile and easy setup/use"
Bad "Periodic DNS Issues"
Overall "So far, so good for me"

I used to be a Comcast customer, but moved and decided to try ClearWire out and see how they did. Now, I am not an internet "power user" in the sense that I don't download tons of music/movies or anything of that nature.

I am, however, am an avid on-line gamer and need to have fast, reliable service to play my games!

First off, there is my DSL Reports speed test:

»/im/40706074/5150.png

Locations: Shoreline, WA (North of Seattle, WA)
ISP: ClearWire
Modem Signal: 4 to 5 of 5 bars
Router: VoIP Linksys WRTP54G (Vonage)
Home Systems:

Desktop 1: Windows Vista Ultimate - Wired to Router
Desktop 2: WindowsXP Home Premium - Wireless 802.11g
Laptop 1: Windows Vista Ultimate - Wireless 802.11g
Laptop 2: MacOSX - Wireless 802.11g

I bought my ClearWire from a Mall kiosk and was able to take the modem home that day after filling out all the account details. They ran a promotion where I got a discount for the first 4 months (paying $19.99 for 4 months then up to regular price of $44.99/mo + taxes) and get a $75 e-card to spend on-line.

The Customer Service Rep was nice and answered all my questions, but definitely not a tech savvy person, but that's alright. Once I got my modem home, I was able to get it set up and find a place where I was able to get 5 bars almost all the time (sometimes drops to 4 bars) and launch my browser. At first, it had me "activate" on their system through a web site, but after that, it was all ready to go.

Total Setup time from opening the box: ~10 minutes

Now, at first, I was a little disappointed with the speed. It seemed to be pretty spotty with websites and slow off and on, but it was late, so I went to bed. The next morning, I launched my FireFox and was instantly on the net and speeds were blazing.

I decided to play around and do my normal stuff on the net and was very happy with the overall performance of the service.

Site/Game Performance Reviews:

Youtube.com - No issues playing/streaming videos.

World Of Warcraft - We have 3 systems that play this game at the same time (we have a gaming family) and when 1 of us or all 3 of us are on the game at the same time, we have no issues and the game runs perfectly.

Final Fantasy XI - Same results as WoW, however, there is only one of us that play.

P2P - I don't P2P much, but WoW uses P2P services to distribute patches that can be in the 200-300MB range. I have not noticed ANY throttling issues with P2P in this capacity. I have used P2P to download CD/DVD Images (600mb to 4GB) using P2P and on all honesty, it is very hard to gauge how well it does unless you have a ton of seeders. So far, everything I have tried to download via P2P has been successful and quite fast.

iTunes - I buy tons of music on iTunes and downloads have always been very fast and responsive.

Various FPS games (First Person Shooters) - Overall low latency and fast ping responses. Once in a while, a hiccup, but hard to say if it is the game/server or ClearWire since it happens once in a while on Comcast also.

Now, the one and only issue that I run into periodically:

This issue is one that MAY be an issue with my system here, but I never had this issue when I was on Comcast, so I am still trying to determine where the issue actually lies.

Once in a while, I go to a page that I have always gone too (myspace.com, google.com, Microsoft.com and the like) and get an error that the server cannot be found and the page fails to render. When this happens, I can go to other sites, but for at least an hour, I can not get to the site that decides to fail on me at all. Of course, support was less than stellar in this regard so I quit bothering them with my issue, although, they credited me a month's service for my troubles.

After some research and wringing my brain for forgotten gems, I dropped to the command prompt and typed:

ipconfig /flushdns

Low and behold, sites render. Kind of an annoyance, but it fixes it and I have not had the time to look deeper since I am working so many hours. I'll dig deeper and see what I find.

All in all, I have to say that I have been very pleased with the service since it works and I have not had any issues with outages or overall speed. For what I do on the net, it has been great! I even take it over to a friends house (who only has dial-up) so we can play games on the net.

Is Clearwire perfect? No, but who is? Yeah, there are complaints about them on here and other sites, but tell me an ISP that has been in business that has absolutely 100% NO complaints EVER. Didn't think so. =D

I have suggested this service to several friends who have been looking for a cheaper alternative to Comcast/DSL and so far, no complaints from them at all!

~Talderon

(note: Edited for spelling and to add additional information)