Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by thutchings6 See Profile

• Location: Whitney,Hill,TX
  • Telco party @link
Good "Always on very little down time"
Bad "6mb is as fast as it gets.."
Overall "I will be switching to wireless/cable if they ever get higher speeds offered at my locale."

I started with 1.5 MB download and .512 MB upload..I had my dsl bundled with a phone package..It served the purpose at the time..I upgraded to 3.0 MB download and .384 upload as they would not offer the .512 upload anymore..I also did away with phone service and went to their greenstreak which is just dsl no phone plan..I liked that I still kept the same home phone number and could still receive calls at no cost..I bought a magic jack for outgoing calls and it has worked out well for me..I noticed here within the last few months that my upload speed has increased to .670 upload..I assume they upgraded everyone in my area to .768 upload who has the 3MB download..The only reason I upgraded to 3MB download was that I got netflix service and started streaming movies on my xbox..With the 3 MB download I can stream movies in HD..Sometimes my connection will slow a little and the movie will not stream in HD but 3MB download service is as fast as Windstream offers in my area right now..I have speedstream 4200 router running into LInksys WRT160N ver.2 wireless router..I started with Linksys WRT 54G and then went to a Belkin Model F5D7230-4 wireless G but both seemed to freeze and need to be rebooted to often, especially the Belkin..My WRT 160N is MUCH more stable and dependable..

When I first got windstream DSL it was when they first offered it in my area..Great at first but after about a year and a half they had over sold the available band width and service was very slow at peak times of the day..IE: after school let out until about 10 PM at night..They finally ran fiber cable to my DSLAM and it made a world of difference..That is also when they started offering the 3MB download..

Over all I've been happy with Windstream since they got through the growing pains..

Not happy any more!! Started experiencing the same problem as before but this time MUCH worse..Got no help from calling customer support..I will not deal with this crap for another year and a half as last time because now I have a choice!!

Still waiting for WS to do something..Have wireless service available but will cost $350 or more to get it in my house as I will need a pole or tower to be able to receive the signal..That also would include a 2 year contract..

I would not be so upset with WS if they would just admit the problem they have created by over selling.. It started when they started offering 12Mb service..They should move all customers back to 3Mb or less AND NOT SELL NEW SERVICE until they can upgrade their equipment to provide the service they sell..That is the most irritating part of all is that they continue to sell service that they know they can NOT provide!!

What if other utility companies, water electric etc., ran their business this way? Oh we will have your lights back working full time maybe sometime next year if your lucky..But in the mean time keep paying your bill as you have no other choice of providers!

Well I was on the verge of spending over $300 to get Nextlink Wireless when WS got my connection back to normal.. I think it was helped along by techs on WS forum.. I now get 15ms pings and full 6mb down almost all day.. The speeds will fall some and pings rise some at peak but mostly when we have many connections here in the house running at the same time.. Would love to have more speed but can not justify spending the extra money to get more speed.. They offer 12mb here but I'm to far from the dslam to get it.. I noticed some cable guys working in the area and wonder if that might have pushed WS to do something.. There used to be cable close to my area years ago but they went out of business because of not enough customers but the cable is still there..

Comments:
totalradio

·Windstream

Don't hold your breath...

Windstream has similar plans in our area. Problem is that download speeds for me aren't important, but upload is. Their upload speeds don't change from one plan to another, so I have the 3m service. 12m doesn't help me a damn it.

Another problem with Windstream is they like to pay lip service to its customers. They'll lie as long as they can get away with it, especially when someone has no choice for internet, other than Windstream. They really can't afford to "upgrade" areas, as their balance sheet is in the toilet, so if they've promised you "upgrades", take it with a grain of salt.

They used to have their trolls on here to "help customers", but I've yet to find one person they "helped". Since people are on to their lies, you don't see them on here anymore. So, my guess is that you're stuck with them until you can some meaningful competition.
rickash

join:2014-06-06

Re: Don't hold your breath...

Windstream has been the same here in NE KY for 10 years but I have no real complaints. I am getting 8.2M down and 803K up on the last test this evening. Direct TV had some servers down and the chat tech admitted it. But back up now and just fine. And I am watching/playing on a Kindle Fire....
rickash

join:2014-06-06

Windstream in NE KY

Outperforming what I pay for by a bit. I had 803K up about an hour ago, 8.2MB down is pretty constant. Can't get 12Meg svc as I am 7,221' from the LO...

Review by bcdavis1979 See Profile

• Location: Ashland,Boyd,KY
Good "none"
Bad "slow, expensive, lies about rates"
Overall "worst ISP I've had in 10+ years"

First let me say that this is the only ISP I have available to me or I would not be using them at all.

I placed my order with Windstream for their "High Speed Internet Flash" service which their website advertised as 6Mbps for 34.99 on 5/31/2013. I received a confirmation from them later that same day confirming a rate of 34.99/month plus 10.00/month for the modem for the first 12 months.

The next day I received a second email from Windstream confirming my order had been processed but "with exceptions" Turns out that they can only offer me 3Mbps at my location. Fine... I've got to have Internet for my job and 3Mbps is better than nothing. The email informed me that my installation date would be Friday, June 7th between 8-5pm and that my service should be live by 7pm that evening.

I received the modem/router and hooked it up on the 7th. At 7pm when I did not have service I called Windstream. After over an hour on the phone waiting for a representative I reached someone who informed me that my work order says my service will be active on the 8th not the 7th. I told the lady about the email I received and she apologized but said there was nothing she could do and I'd have service tomorrow.

The next day came and went and still not Internet. I called Windstream back on Sunday to let them know I still did not have Internet. The first rep I spoke to tried to troubleshoot the issue over the phone but was not able to connect to my modem. Then the line went dead. I called back and again had to wait over an hour on hold for a representative. This representative tells me that they need to dispatch a technician to take a look at the lines and that it will be Friday or Saturday before they can get anyone out there.

It actually took two visits from a technician to clear up the line noise and get me online. The speed was slow, but at least I was online.

A few weeks later I received my first bill and had sticker shock.

I had originally signed up for 6Mbps at a rate of 34.99/month. Since they were only able to give me 3Mbps at my location I expected a lower rate than that... logical, but not correct. My new rate? 39.99/month, plus a 120.00 one time fee for the modem, plus enough fees and taxes to take the bill up to 65.00/month for the recurring portion of the bill.

I attempted to resolve this billing issue with Windstream with several phone calls and emails. On 6/26/13 I spoke with "Robert" who asked me to send him the confirmation email I received advertising the 34.99/month for 6Mbps and he would have a supervisor call me. I forwarded the email to him and heart nothing back.

On 7/1 I sent him a follow up email letting him know I hadn't heard anything back. Robert replied and said he would speak to his supervisor again. Still no contact from Windstream.

on 7/8 I called Windstream and reached "Kimberly" who said she couldn't find any record of my previous interactions with Robert and again asked me to forward the email to her. I complied and again was told that I would get a follow up phone call that I never received.

When I received my next bill it turned out that some corrections had in fact been made. Not to the rate though. That was still 39.99. The correction they made? They credited me for the 120.00 modem fee and instead substituted a 10/month fee for 12 months to spread the fee out. I had no problem paying for the modem, and would rather have just paid for it all at once, but at this point I was so frustrated I just let it go.

I have made a few further attempts to contact Windstream and tell them that this rate is unreasonable given the service I'm receiving and the service they themselves advertise on their website. To this day if you put my address into their website it says I'm eligible for 6Mbps at 34.99/month.

If I had any other option I'd be taking it. I've actually considered going LTE as we get a great signal to our home on our iPhones, but the bandwidth limits just don't make it feasible since I work from home often.

Comments:

nikiinpa

join:2013-03-31
Rockton, PA
·Windstream

We have to take it because they are the only game in town

We have to take it because they are the only game in town & they know it, I was told awhile back I am lucky to even have their service by one of their techs, I imagine a lot of people in my area have left Windstream and gone to cable or Huges Sat internet.
I was going to go to Hughes but when I heard about you're only allowed so much of this and that I never went for it.

Windstream takes care of their stockholders not the customers who made them

mark40511

join:2004-10-12
Lexington, KY

Sorry to hear

about the fiasco you had to deal with. Aside from that, how is your 3 mpbs working so far? Is it consistent?

cryobaby

join:2001-10-26
Jefferson, GA

Used to be good, now, not so much

I have seen considerable amounts of degradation in the reliability of my Windstream internet svc. I have also seen considerable amounts of degradation in the quality of customer service. Up until March of 2014, i enjoyed a very stable connection of 12mb but after March I started experiencing loss of connection, outages lasting multiples days and of course, poor customer service where they tell me a technician will call when my svc is back up and they NEVER do. They lie, they offer unrealistic repair dates of over a month and they cant seem to keep accurate records of dialog between them and the CUSTOMER. I am going to file a complaint with the BBB and the FTC today. last night i got so frustrated with the first CSR i spoke with as he couldn't even confirm my last 4 of my social and was telling me i was wrong. Also, i think part of the problem is that they are putting the cart before the horse here in Jefferson, GA. There was a city council meeting held about a month and a half ago which the public was invited as well as two reps from Windstream. those two reps are lucky they made it out alive after being scolded by so many of mu fellow residents and subscribers and even two of the council members told of their distaste for what they are putting us through. Many in my town have been without svc for over a month!

Review by Bobec See Profile

• Location: Jefferson,Jackson,GA
Good "When things work: they work well"
Bad "Inadequate/slow response to problems: Customer Service/Tech Support are virtually useless"
Overall "Caveat Emptor: It can be really good or really bad and take a long time to fix"

The good observation: Once Windstream gets you up and running, my experience for the first couple of years was mostly positive relative to the reliability of the connection and consistency of the speed.

The 'bad' observation: Whenever problems arise (plunging speeds during peak & evening hours, frequent disconnects, etc.) Windstream doesn't respond quickly and they either don't communicate to customers or they provide conflicting status updates. Tech Support CSR's will routinely close trouble tickets before problems are actually fixed, without validating with customers that normal service has been restored. You'll need to make multiple calls to report the same problem. Example: Last year my 12MB service (and service for many others in my part of the country) had been reduced to dial-up speed and the only response from Windstream was "We are evaluating the situation in 2012 for possible resolution sometime in 2013." Yet....Windstream continued to bill me for 12MB service that it did not provide for months! After calling in multiple trouble tickets and starting posts in the Windstream Forum without resolution, I contacted the office of Windstream CEO Jeff Gardner and...voila!!!...I got a call from a VP and the problems were resolved the next day. I also started receiving a $10 per month billing credit, which is supposed to last for a year. Still wondering why it took an email to the CEO to actually get something fixed.

Slow response to connectivity/speed problems, poor communication between various departments within Windstream, vague/infrequent responses to customer complaints, and weak procedures related to follow-up and problem resolution are the things that seem to characterize the Company.

I should note that the field technicians (the guys who come to your house to help diagnose/fix issues) have been very reliable and helpful---they seem to have accurate information about what the lines and DSLM can and cannot support in my area, they know if there are bigger issues impacting my area, and they know how to fix problems.

Comments:

Review by foxsnipr See Profile

• Location: Waco,York,NE
Good "Lost all hope"
Bad "Lots of talk and empty promises, connections drop, usually provide 1/2 speed promised"
Overall "If there was another provider I would have switched a long time ago"

I've had service for several years now, everytime they upgrade they promise more DL speed, never UL speed. I signed up for 6mb DL and still am waiting and using 1.5mb. They keep promising but they still haven't made good on anything. They provide a router a Speedstream 4200, no one installs it, they mail it to you with instructions (thankfully I know how to plug it in). Tech support is sketchy, best to call late nights and get someone who knows what is going on, but is not able to do anything about it. day time all you get is promises and the usual 'it's not their fault'. Tonight I was at dial up speeds and tech support wasn't able to do anything. Getting a tech to come out is impossible, I've requested one and they find some excuse around it. Maybe they don't have anyone that actually works in the field on their stuff.

DL & UL 12 hours later have gone from good back to worse, in between dial up and 1mb. It appears that at certain times of the day is when these problems arise. You don't suppose Windstream needs upgrades or something?

See added comments

10-28-2009 The forum Tech Support is awesome! They were able to get things up and running, no problems. Thanks guys!

11-2011 Back to SSDD...called and asked about 12mb package for $5 and was told that my area it would cost $15/month more! Getting 1/3 DL speeds at best most of the time. Tech Support not being too responsive or committal. If I had any other options would change in a heartbeat.

01-2013 Same thing again....now 12 mb down is .70....if they can't keep up with cutomeers then offer them a refund

06-2013 Now being told July will be upgraded....no hope....will believe it when it happens.

04-2014 Month long equiptment problems...not another DSLAM going out I hope, the last one was 6 months of dialup speed and no offer to reimburse. Windstream gets federal subsidy, but gives questionable service.

Comments:
foxsnipr

join:2008-08-17

Windstream - poor choice

3-9-2013 same problems new chapter
have 12 mb and getting .06
Tier 2 Tech support on forums is no longer helpful, all they do is say the engineers are working on a solution then the upgrades are scheduled but not in near future.

Customer Service is DEPLORABLE, quality is DEPLORABLE. For the price of internet and phone of $90 ($72 for internet) you do not get anything close to what you pay for.

GeekMan

Same crap

I have been having a lot of issues lately as well. I have an Internet business, and I am also a City Councilman, we use WS for our Official Government office also and we deal with a lot of very important matters that have to be done online. I live about 2 blocks from our City Hall and both the City Hall and my personal house are on WS. I have not had internet at home for 3 weeks and I'm supposed to have the 12Mbs bundled with WS through Dish, we have a burst of about 0.7 Mbs every 13 or so hours that lasts about 2-20 minutes which may load facebook or gmail for a few minutes at a time but nothing close to what I am paying for.

At the City Hall we have very good internet right now but it gets disconnected once in a while. again, I only live about 2 blocks away so it's not in the lines. There was a two day period where we didn't have internet at the office last week.

We have called WS Customer Support three times this week and each time they tell us it's a service overload and that they are upgrading the lines to match the amount of customers they have. Finally two days ago they said they realized the reason I have no internet at home is because I was one of the 1200 unlucky people to be on a server that crashed and that yesterday morning around 6AM it would be fixed as they were putting in a new server. no change happened so that afternoon I called again and they said it would be midnight before we say a change, it's now 5:30 AM and the internet is letting me do Bing searches but I cannot even load youtube so this website is as much as I can load right now so I will be contacting them again at 9AM but I will be using the online Chat this time.

Review by JayA See Profile

• Location: Iola,Grimes,TX
Overall "Windstream Is Over Selling Bandwidth!!"

Bottom line is Windstream Communications is ripping off customers every where! I've been a customer for more years than I would like to admit but living in a rural area I have no other service! Windstream is piggy backing several customers on one line in order to sell DSL to more customers and it slows everyone on the line down! When I signed up I paid for and am paying for 3Mbs service the speeds never came close so I've complained for over two years and the story is the same! We are working on the system, We are aware of a problem in your area, We are working to upgrade the system over and over again! The highest speed I have ever reached was 1.31Mbs and now it is down to an average of .51Mbs and sometimes it's so bad I have to revert to my cell phone and when I'm roaming on my cell it's faster than the DSL, however I can not do many things on my small cell phone that I can do on my computer! My suggestion to any and all Windstream customers is, Call or go online and rteport this wishy washy company to your Attorney Generals office the more of us that get involved the better for every customer that has no other options other than sukey Windstream!

Comments:
totalradio

I feel the pain.

Windstream does nothing but lie to its customers. In fact, a few of them used to troll this site claiming to "help" people, when in fact they couldn't (or wouldn't). They quit appearing here after a series of bad press stories hit the media, especially in Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky and Arkansas. The favorite lies they seem to be using in the past year are "they're working on the problem" or "latency outage". As a retired CenturyTel employee (now CenturyLink), Windstream isn't "working on the problem", except to make it worse and I would like for a Windstream troll to explain to me (and the rest of us) what a "latency outage" is. I've never heard of it (until Windstream started using that phrase), nor does it exist. But since they've run away from this site, I doubt I'll get an answer to that.

Since DSL is a deregulated product in most states, there's not much, if anything, the state of Texas can do. However, there is another avenue to try...

First, you might get the media in your area to do some stories on the problem. It was tried in the areas that I mentioned above, however it met with only very little success. The Windstream response was a predictable one...trotting out the talking heads and claiming "they're working on the problem and with their customers", when in fact they haven't. Another way is to contact the Federal Trade Commission. They regulate advertising of products, whether it be broadcast, print, or any other advertising. If Windstream is advertising a product, and they constantly do not provide it (in a reasonable amount), the FTC CAN step in and force Windstream to provide adequate service, or stop advertising their claims. That comes with a drawback. It might be cheaper for Windstream to stop advertising their claims and probably accomplish nothing, but one never knows.

On a lighter note, if nothing gets done, which is quite possible, I suggest taking up drinking. Windstream is nothing more than a fraud and their reviews here are proof of it.

Keep the faith !

Review by Broodwich See Profile

• Location: Branford,Suwannee,FL
Good "Absolutely Nothing"
Bad "Everything, its the only option where Im at for internet"
Overall "My ATT cell phone with 1 bar is at least 10x faster, stay away from Windscream"

I dont need to say much, So i will just say this. here is what $70 a month gets you with Windscream

Speedtest.com results:
Ping: 148
Download Speed: 0.18 mb/s (with a total of 10 tests average was around 0.26 mb/s from various times during the day) Keep in mind im paying for 6mb/s, the highest i have ever seen was 1.8mb/s)
Upload speed: Averages 0.36mb/s

Thats all I need to say. My little cheap windows phone is so much faster with 1-2 bars of service. This company used to be decent up until a couple of years ago when they decided to oversubscribe their shitty lines. They are running at least 5x more subscribers then they are set up for and were supposed to "update services" for the last 2 years, but it has been nothing but downhill.

If you can afford it stay away from this company like the plague, if you;re like me its unavoidable.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3378141555

Comments:

Review by sam26 See Profile

• Location: Macon,Bibb,GA
Good "windstream doesn't know the meaning of the word"
Bad "the whole company is bad"
Overall "Dial-up is so much better"

March 17, 2014
Go to the forum and click ISP support under windstream. I received a response for my complaint against windstream.

March 3, 2014

So, it's been a year. I found out windstream (again) has no plan to fix my slow speed. It has gotten so bad that I am averaging .5 Mbps at night. If you think windstream is soooo great! Why did the state of Georgia fined them $600,000? Why is it going to cost millions to run fiber to my area? Why can't I pay 20% of my bill if I am only getting 20% service. Only a du mass will think this is fair?

March 6, 2013

I just wanted to get this information to all Georgia resident. A CBS atlanta news reporter wants our feedback concerning windstream service. Here is the website »stopthecap.com/2013/03/04/windst···crutiny/

This website tells how Windstream continues to heavily lobby the Georgia legislature for a bill that would ban competition from publicly owned broadband providers, the company is doing little to address the growing concerns of its own broadband customers getting poor service.

This confirms that windstream is trying to screw us over.

Update: Jan 31st, 2013

I have been using the Direct Forums to see if they could help me, BUT it seems useless the Forum is useless and a waste of time. The windstream rep had contacted the engineer in my area to find out whats going on and this is the response I get today.

*******(name of tech specialist)
join:2011-06-14
Twinsburg, OH
Hello, we have finally heard from the engineers and the Network Planning group. They have informed us that while Windstream strives to upgrade its network to address market conditions, unfortunately, some of our customers, like yourself are served by many of our remote switches that will not experience upgrades or improvements in 2013. Windstream continues to pursue federal funding for broadband deployment in areas like yours, such as through the FCC’s Connect America Fund Phase I and Phase II programs. We will do what whatever we can to obtain the funding and make improvements.
Thanks,
******(name of tech specialist)
Support Specialist II
We're here to help! broadbandhelp@windstream.com
to forum · permalink · actions · hey mods · · 2013-01-31 14:58:27 · · · Print

I though windstream claimed to had revenue earnings was over $900 millions. I am not happy right now! Is this even legal? I am not getting half the service they provide. Windstream is giving me a $10 credit every month until Jan 2014. If anyone out there thinks this is fair, post me a reason why you think its fair and I will call you a liar and a con-artist to your face. I dont know what to do. i can tell every windstream tech I see on the street that their service suck and all he will do is smile under is breath because they got me by the balls. I hope this company stocks plummets and that all the executives goes to prison for fraud and becomes someones little B*@#%! It seems all I can do is tell everyone I know about the piss poor, good for nothing, so call service windstream is providing and to never put the word Broadband and Windstream in the same sentence. I have an XBOX live account and have put in my profile that windstream suck and I encourage everyone who has an XBOX live account to do the same. If windstream is going to screw me over than I will tell everyone the truth about their terrible business practice, which is the truth. I feel that this site doesnt really help me much except to tell everyone to STAY AWAY FROM WINDSTREAM! if you have another choice. If anyone has any idea what i can do, I am all ears.

First post:
I wanted to wait and see if Windstream would have fixed my problem before I posted this, but guess what.I have been having the same problem with latency like everyone else since july, and receive the same excuses from windstream tech like everyone else. Hey windstream! those tickets doesn't work you big dummies! First off, windstream DOES NOT provide a true DSL line. Its called broadband. A true DSL line doesn't cause slow speed if some next door neighbors are streaming movies.

I am paying $77 a month for phone and 3 mbs, but I am only getting 1.5 a best. I feel like I am just throwing money away.

Tech Support can't do anything to help. Their job is to help trouble shoot. They are mainly reading off a check list to make sure you are connected properly. If your problems are not on the check list, it tells them to turn in a ticket, which is probably a suggestion for the field techs to do their job. After reading all the complaints on this board, I don't believe that my latency will be resolve within the next couple of years. All i can do is just keep demanding a credit. I plan to send out fliers to all my neighbors and tell them to also demand a credit for the slow speed we have been receiving.

I have no choice because windstream is the only company that provides broadband in my area, but i am getting dialup service. Apparently windstream has no pride about their company. If someone tells me that I am doing a poor job, I get very offensive and make sure it doesn't happen again. Windstream must feel proud about their lack of performance. They did mention that my problems will be resolved in January 2013, I laugh at them and said we'll see. I will post an update in February 2013.

Update: Dec 5, 2012

Windstream sends out a tech to my place on moday, Dec. 3rd, and the guy calls me at work to tell me that I needed a new modem. Nice guy, he leave me a new modem and 2 splitter. I install the new modem with help from tech support because I use safari apps. Now I am getting random drop connection. just 15 minutes ago, I can't use the internet because the modem can't detect the internet. I am watching netflix and I get drop from that too. What are you doing windstream? Are you trying to make my life miserable?

Comments:

tiredofit

@xo.net

windstream dsl

same issues here. since i only get half of what they promise, i call customer service and request a bill credit. hitting their pocket book may get their attention. everyone needs to do this!

Interesting, but its common

Windstream just can't get their act together. Windstream already receives federal funding for its services, they just use it to pay down the debt only to run it back up again. Just check their balance sheet and you'll see that they carry a heavy debt load.

But, here's something you might try. First, quit calling Windstream "tech support". They have NO idea what they're doing and you'll just waste your time on idiots. You might try the Georgia agency that oversees Windstream. Even though DSL is a deregulated product, they're not immune to other actions. The state agency might just take another look at them.

The next step is to contact the Federal Trade Commission. The FTC regulates what a business can (or cannot) advertise. For instance, if Windstream is selling their DSL, knowing full well they can't provide the advertised service, the FTC can force Windstream to either stop advertising their service, or force them to provide what they advertise. However, this does come with a catch.

If the FTC tells them to do one or the other, it might be cheaper for Windstream to quit advertising the service altogether. Be cheaper to stop advertising than to replace (or repair) infrastructure. In any event, if Windstream ignores the FTC, the FTC does have the power to place a monetary penalty on them. And they can do it more than once.

It seems that just recently, a television station in Atlanta did a story on Windstream and their shoddy service. Of course, Windstream trotted out a talking head, basically giving a scripted response, giving the obligatory lip service to the reporter, all the while giving the customers the middle finger. At last I checked, Windstream has done nothing to improve its service in the state, and they're not going to unless they start getting some REAL BAD press about them. Websites like BBR can go a long way in doing that, since the Windstream corporate trolls visit here on a regular basis.

Let me know how this turns out. If Windstream isn't doing what they're suppose to be doing, I'm all for getting them the bad press.
tonyNM

join:2014-01-05
Espanola, NM

Re: Interesting, but its common

Something clearly has to be done about these thieves We can squack about here in the forums till our fingers fall off and all they will do is laugh at us that much harder. Today I tried getting them to rebuild my connection and they even refused to do that. I could not have believed it but this company is actually getting arrogant about their bad service and service is getting worse. What can we possibly do to get these greedy execs get their just deserts? This company basically needs to go away in a big and embarrassing public scandal. I'm willing to do as much as I can to help achieve this. What can we do?

Review by borisbadenov See Profile

• Location: Barbourville,Knox,KY
  • Telco party WCV Telecom
Good "When its working properly it is fast as advertiesed"
Bad "When not working properly it is slower than dialup"
Overall "I have problems with my DSL/Phone every couple of months never seems to stay fixed"

Tech support not have talked to 4 different reps so far none seem to be techincal enough to solve my issue also they do not fill out trouble ticket correctly that or repairmen are dishonest when they say they were at residence at a certain time and actually never showed up.

Windstream still sucks even more so now than before. Customer service is even worse and unless you sing Windstream's praises they will ban you from their facebook page

Comments:

pisoff

@slb.com

worst ever company

This is the worst shi**** service.Please please please dont go for this if you have a choice...........these knuckle heads contract with stuppid apt property managers and get their business. In an open market this type of companies won't last a day. People running this company should be ashamed of their abilitys and degrees...

Review by jojoanirak1 See Profile

• Location: Jefferson,Jackson,GA
Good "nothing"
Bad "everything"
Overall "stay the hell away, but if you're like me, it's unavoidable"

This company....what more is there to say? Most other people have already covered this. Windstream is the only "high speed broadband" provider in Jefferson GA which is asinine(and this is with me calling Comcast and Charter and asking if they provide service to my address, which sadly they do not). Only other option? Satellite. There's already an ongoing investigation against them here in GA, but I have yet to see any results. Still paying for 12Mb which I have yet to see (top out at 7, on a great day!). normal speed I usually see? 3Mb. So please, if you have other options, Stay Away!

Comments:

Jasonatmtech

AGREED

I couldnt agree with you more..service is crap, ADSL continues to loose connection, replaced modem twice in a yr at my expense with no improvement, now got another new modem the 1704 model, and now every other site i visit i am redirected to modem interface or get the good ole 404 error and on top of that now my blu-ray player wont play any video from internet although it says all connections are correct and has internet link....WOW, GET THIS SHIT RIGHT...and same here as speed goes, i have a 6mb service and tops out at 3 to 4 and thats a good day....STAY AWAY IF ALL POSSIBLE, WORST ISP EVER!!!!!

shocked

Re: AGREED

I just got off of the phone with them. I was told that basically I have internet (through a LAN, the speed is so slow I cannot connect wireless) access and that is all they are responsible for!!! What??? I ordered "high speed wireless" WTF! The tech I spoke to said, "All we are responsible for is you getting internet, you have internet right?" I told her yes but through the LAN only. She responded that I should go and buy a booster??? This service is the worse I have ever seen! I cannot believe they are still in business!!!!!

Least

Re: AGREED

Well, the bad news is that here in NM their phone support sucks too. WS bragged about new Fiber Optics last year... made my town a hub... they state they are still trying to program the new gear and local techs always quote they about have it fixed. Last night I called tech support...tech reset my account with the result that I went from 2.70megs to 1.63megs on a 12meg account. Guy started telling me my equipment was wrong...I.E. don't need a router and am I sure I hooked it up correctly. (Until I told him his local tech wished he had my home built computer as it beat everything WS has at his shop.) Made him mad. Stated service was bad in my area with NO forcast for a fix in site...with Fiber Optics...asked me to call customer service in the morning as they could help me better. Sad service for a 3 year customer. Tech support cannot help so he pawned me off---nice WS ...great service. Thinking of switching to Baha Broadband----though I am told they are lousy also....no rest for the weary.
tonyNM

join:2014-01-05
Espanola, NM

Re: AGREED

At least they reset your account. I asked for that today and they lied about it then refused to do it. They said they did it but neither of the modem lights blinked like they should when they reset things.

Review by Bodybagger See Profile

• Location: Saint Matthews,Calhoun,SC
Good "None"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "St. Matthews, SC Service Horrid!"

1-29-14

So our internet was working good for about 3 months after the DSLAM was fiber fed back in April I think? Ever since sometime around October our net has been back to the 300ms+ ping times every single night and barely 2.4Mb/down when we pay for 6. The service is completely unusable all weekend long. They are now stating that a switch that feeds my area is causing the bottleneck and their plans to repair it/replace it are for April of this year. Every single time we have called since Oct. they have had no ETR and no idea what was going on. Recently this month I got in touch with someone at tier 2 stating that the switch was bad and needed to be replaced. No ETR from him... After submitting another complaint to the BBB I finally got an ETR of April this year. Really strange that no one in Windstream could give me an ETR but all of a sudden after the BBB complaint they come up with one? These guys are crooks no matter how you look at it. Also, I was told by a local tech that all these guys do is take your money and buy up smaller telcos. They have no interest at all in repairing service for the people they have already... but rather take their monthly fees and buy up smaller companies.

I really hope Windstream burns to the ground very, very soon. I've... we've had enough of their constant BS that no one in this world should have to put up with from their ISP. If you can afford anything better and if there is competition in your area.. choose anyone other than Windstream. They are the worst ISP on the planet and they don't care at all about their customers or their network. I despise this company with a passion. And I am not alone when I say I hate them with every ounce of being. I hope they get sued and have to pay billions of dollars back to all of their customers that they have done wrong through all the years they have been in business. They do not even deserve to exist.

12-9-12

Service sucks. The worst ISP on Earth. Been given repair dates forever when none have been met. Last repair date we got now is the 31st of this year. 600ms+ ping every single night for over months. Connection randomly drops out completely. $10 credit on my account but they cannot provide any more than that? T1 tech support is like talking to a brick wall.. and when they do talk back, they are complete assholes and rush you off the phone. Called in yesterday and spoke to a t1 manager and he refused to help and refused to transfer us to someone else that would help because he didn't want to waste another person's time to hear our issues. I've had better service when I was on 56k.

Update 1-31-12

Service still goes out at random times. We have had better service over the past few months than we have had in a long time, but regardless where we live the issues are still present. There is no fix unless everything in this area is brought up to date as far as equipment and lines. We also have a shredded phone box that serves our road that has been this way since summer of last year. Cost keeps going up for the service and the quality/speeds stay down the drain. I still wouldn't recommend Windstream to anyone... ever. Maybe one day we will get some competition out here and put this company out of business. Or atleast make them fix their horrible service.

I would greatly recommend another DSL provider over this company. We've had so many problems from outages, random drops, latency issues, packet loss, and overall slow speeds. We live just in range to only be able to receive the 1.5Mbps package and alot of the time it isn't even that. So many phone calls to Windstream about speed issues and they want to sell us the 3Mbps package because it is "available" in our area and we "can" run it stable. Once they hook us up to the 3Mbps, drops are seen about every minute. Simply put, LIES!

Anyway, someone lives here that works from home and they have lost wages and time due to the internet service. Windstream cannot do anything about that... but they USE to until it was costing them too much money due to the amount of complaints they were receiving.

If Windstream doesn't have the monopoly in your area like they do here, I would greatly recommend choosing a different service. Windstream is applying for a good amount of money to "upgrade and improve" their equipment, but alot of rural areas will probably never see it. We have some of the worst and oldest equipment in our area and that is the reason we are having so many issues... and Windstream isn't going to spend the money to update old "junk" this far out from town. Words straight from a Windstream tech...

-An issue has been going on with this terrible company for at least 4 months. Since early December our internet service has been slower than dial-up usually at or around peak times (7est-11:30est). We've been lied to over and over on when the issue will be resolved. Nothing has been done to correct our problems no matter how many times we call and complain. We've contacted the BBB on them and still haven't received the service we pay for every month. We pay $45 a month for 1.5Mb speed because we cannot get anything faster. We have no other providers in our area. I've seen where other places pay $45 a month for 20Mb down 2Mb up. If we had another choice this company would never get another penny from us. I would recommend to anyone that has other options other than Windstream to really consider who they want to provide their internet services. And yes Windstream may be $5 cheaper in areas that have cable or AT&T, etc. but you are much, much better off than ever dealing with this terrible ISP. It would save you alot of hassle in the long run.-

member for 4.5 years, 1205 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
totalradio

I feel the pain.

Seeing what you're going through remind me of when I had to re-establish my static IP recently. I went from 3mb to 12mb, but when they changed the speed, they got rid of my static IP and gave me a dynamic IP. Two weeks & several phone calls later, I finally got my static IP back. The last time I called, of course, I got someone in tier 1 support. Anyone who's dealt with Windstream's tier 1 support knows that its a crap shoot at the very best and your worse nightmare on average. When I got tier 1 support, I briefly explained my problem. The lady put me on hold, and when she returned, she started to explain that she couldn't do anything at which time I told her to bump me up to tier 2 support. Instead of getting an excuse, she actually transferred me to T2. When I got there, a guy asked me my problem, accessed my profile, saw the problem and corrected it in 5 minutes. Later on, I realized that 12mb speed wasn't really doing anything beneficial to me, so I went back down to 3mb and this time kept my static IP.

Its clear to me, and it should be to everyone else, that Windstream doesn't train their tier 1 support in anything, except to lie and use the term "latency outage" when they can't, or won't fix a particular problem in a particular area. The reason is a simple one. Windstream's debt load is so high, they really can't make extensive fixes to areas that were shoddy when they bought them from smaller companies. They're just milking what money is there until something gives.

I would give a better response than this, but I had a recent review removed because I told the truth about DSL Extreme and their service (or lack of a service), and someone whined and got it removed. But here's an idea you might try.

The Federal Trade Commission has oversight on what companies advertise. Whether it be television, radio, print, etc., all claims of service must be met. If Windstream advertises a service for a certain amount of speed and they consistently do not deliver, a complaint to the FTC might be in order. The FTC does have the power to either make them deliver on their claim, or stop advertising service they can't deliver. But this might backfire as it will be cheaper to stop advertising than to fix problems. Its a 50-50 shot.

Good luck in however you deal with Windstream