Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by sam26 See Profile

• Location: Macon,Bibb,GA
Good "windstream doesn't know the meaning of the word"
Bad "the whole company is bad"
Overall "Dial-up is so much better"

March 17, 2014
Go to the forum and click ISP support under windstream. I received a response for my complaint against windstream.

March 3, 2014

So, it's been a year. I found out windstream (again) has no plan to fix my slow speed. It has gotten so bad that I am averaging .5 Mbps at night. If you think windstream is soooo great! Why did the state of Georgia fined them $600,000? Why is it going to cost millions to run fiber to my area? Why can't I pay 20% of my bill if I am only getting 20% service. Only a du mass will think this is fair?

March 6, 2013

I just wanted to get this information to all Georgia resident. A CBS atlanta news reporter wants our feedback concerning windstream service. Here is the website »stopthecap.com/2013/03/04/windst···crutiny/

This website tells how Windstream continues to heavily lobby the Georgia legislature for a bill that would ban competition from publicly owned broadband providers, the company is doing little to address the growing concerns of its own broadband customers getting poor service.

This confirms that windstream is trying to screw us over.

Update: Jan 31st, 2013

I have been using the Direct Forums to see if they could help me, BUT it seems useless the Forum is useless and a waste of time. The windstream rep had contacted the engineer in my area to find out whats going on and this is the response I get today.

*******(name of tech specialist)
join:2011-06-14
Twinsburg, OH
Hello, we have finally heard from the engineers and the Network Planning group. They have informed us that while Windstream strives to upgrade its network to address market conditions, unfortunately, some of our customers, like yourself are served by many of our remote switches that will not experience upgrades or improvements in 2013. Windstream continues to pursue federal funding for broadband deployment in areas like yours, such as through the FCC’s Connect America Fund Phase I and Phase II programs. We will do what whatever we can to obtain the funding and make improvements.
Thanks,
******(name of tech specialist)
Support Specialist II
We're here to help! broadbandhelp@windstream.com
to forum · permalink · actions · hey mods · · 2013-01-31 14:58:27 · · · Print

I though windstream claimed to had revenue earnings was over $900 millions. I am not happy right now! Is this even legal? I am not getting half the service they provide. Windstream is giving me a $10 credit every month until Jan 2014. If anyone out there thinks this is fair, post me a reason why you think its fair and I will call you a liar and a con-artist to your face. I dont know what to do. i can tell every windstream tech I see on the street that their service suck and all he will do is smile under is breath because they got me by the balls. I hope this company stocks plummets and that all the executives goes to prison for fraud and becomes someones little B*@#%! It seems all I can do is tell everyone I know about the piss poor, good for nothing, so call service windstream is providing and to never put the word Broadband and Windstream in the same sentence. I have an XBOX live account and have put in my profile that windstream suck and I encourage everyone who has an XBOX live account to do the same. If windstream is going to screw me over than I will tell everyone the truth about their terrible business practice, which is the truth. I feel that this site doesnt really help me much except to tell everyone to STAY AWAY FROM WINDSTREAM! if you have another choice. If anyone has any idea what i can do, I am all ears.

First post:
I wanted to wait and see if Windstream would have fixed my problem before I posted this, but guess what.I have been having the same problem with latency like everyone else since july, and receive the same excuses from windstream tech like everyone else. Hey windstream! those tickets doesn't work you big dummies! First off, windstream DOES NOT provide a true DSL line. Its called broadband. A true DSL line doesn't cause slow speed if some next door neighbors are streaming movies.

I am paying $77 a month for phone and 3 mbs, but I am only getting 1.5 a best. I feel like I am just throwing money away.

Tech Support can't do anything to help. Their job is to help trouble shoot. They are mainly reading off a check list to make sure you are connected properly. If your problems are not on the check list, it tells them to turn in a ticket, which is probably a suggestion for the field techs to do their job. After reading all the complaints on this board, I don't believe that my latency will be resolve within the next couple of years. All i can do is just keep demanding a credit. I plan to send out fliers to all my neighbors and tell them to also demand a credit for the slow speed we have been receiving.

I have no choice because windstream is the only company that provides broadband in my area, but i am getting dialup service. Apparently windstream has no pride about their company. If someone tells me that I am doing a poor job, I get very offensive and make sure it doesn't happen again. Windstream must feel proud about their lack of performance. They did mention that my problems will be resolved in January 2013, I laugh at them and said we'll see. I will post an update in February 2013.

Update: Dec 5, 2012

Windstream sends out a tech to my place on moday, Dec. 3rd, and the guy calls me at work to tell me that I needed a new modem. Nice guy, he leave me a new modem and 2 splitter. I install the new modem with help from tech support because I use safari apps. Now I am getting random drop connection. just 15 minutes ago, I can't use the internet because the modem can't detect the internet. I am watching netflix and I get drop from that too. What are you doing windstream? Are you trying to make my life miserable?

Comments:

tiredofit

@xo.net

windstream dsl

same issues here. since i only get half of what they promise, i call customer service and request a bill credit. hitting their pocket book may get their attention. everyone needs to do this!

Interesting, but its common

Windstream just can't get their act together. Windstream already receives federal funding for its services, they just use it to pay down the debt only to run it back up again. Just check their balance sheet and you'll see that they carry a heavy debt load.

But, here's something you might try. First, quit calling Windstream "tech support". They have NO idea what they're doing and you'll just waste your time on idiots. You might try the Georgia agency that oversees Windstream. Even though DSL is a deregulated product, they're not immune to other actions. The state agency might just take another look at them.

The next step is to contact the Federal Trade Commission. The FTC regulates what a business can (or cannot) advertise. For instance, if Windstream is selling their DSL, knowing full well they can't provide the advertised service, the FTC can force Windstream to either stop advertising their service, or force them to provide what they advertise. However, this does come with a catch.

If the FTC tells them to do one or the other, it might be cheaper for Windstream to quit advertising the service altogether. Be cheaper to stop advertising than to replace (or repair) infrastructure. In any event, if Windstream ignores the FTC, the FTC does have the power to place a monetary penalty on them. And they can do it more than once.

It seems that just recently, a television station in Atlanta did a story on Windstream and their shoddy service. Of course, Windstream trotted out a talking head, basically giving a scripted response, giving the obligatory lip service to the reporter, all the while giving the customers the middle finger. At last I checked, Windstream has done nothing to improve its service in the state, and they're not going to unless they start getting some REAL BAD press about them. Websites like BBR can go a long way in doing that, since the Windstream corporate trolls visit here on a regular basis.

Let me know how this turns out. If Windstream isn't doing what they're suppose to be doing, I'm all for getting them the bad press.

Re: Interesting, but its common

Something clearly has to be done about these thieves We can squack about here in the forums till our fingers fall off and all they will do is laugh at us that much harder. Today I tried getting them to rebuild my connection and they even refused to do that. I could not have believed it but this company is actually getting arrogant about their bad service and service is getting worse. What can we possibly do to get these greedy execs get their just deserts? This company basically needs to go away in a big and embarrassing public scandal. I'm willing to do as much as I can to help achieve this. What can we do?

Review by borisbadenov See Profile

• Location: Barbourville,Knox,KY
  • Telco party WCV Telecom
Good "When its working properly it is fast as advertiesed"
Bad "When not working properly it is slower than dialup"
Overall "I have problems with my DSL/Phone every couple of months never seems to stay fixed"

Tech support not have talked to 4 different reps so far none seem to be techincal enough to solve my issue also they do not fill out trouble ticket correctly that or repairmen are dishonest when they say they were at residence at a certain time and actually never showed up.

Windstream still sucks even more so now than before. Customer service is even worse and unless you sing Windstream's praises they will ban you from their facebook page

Comments:

pisoff

@slb.com

worst ever company

This is the worst shi**** service.Please please please dont go for this if you have a choice...........these knuckle heads contract with stuppid apt property managers and get their business. In an open market this type of companies won't last a day. People running this company should be ashamed of their abilitys and degrees...

Review by jojoanirak1 See Profile

• Location: Jefferson,Jackson,GA
Good "nothing"
Bad "everything"
Overall "stay the hell away, but if you're like me, it's unavoidable"

This company....what more is there to say? Most other people have already covered this. Windstream is the only "high speed broadband" provider in Jefferson GA which is asinine(and this is with me calling Comcast and Charter and asking if they provide service to my address, which sadly they do not). Only other option? Satellite. There's already an ongoing investigation against them here in GA, but I have yet to see any results. Still paying for 12Mb which I have yet to see (top out at 7, on a great day!). normal speed I usually see? 3Mb. So please, if you have other options, Stay Away!

member for 3.4 years, 66 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Jasonatmtech

AGREED

I couldnt agree with you more..service is crap, ADSL continues to loose connection, replaced modem twice in a yr at my expense with no improvement, now got another new modem the 1704 model, and now every other site i visit i am redirected to modem interface or get the good ole 404 error and on top of that now my blu-ray player wont play any video from internet although it says all connections are correct and has internet link....WOW, GET THIS SHIT RIGHT...and same here as speed goes, i have a 6mb service and tops out at 3 to 4 and thats a good day....STAY AWAY IF ALL POSSIBLE, WORST ISP EVER!!!!!

shocked

Re: AGREED

I just got off of the phone with them. I was told that basically I have internet (through a LAN, the speed is so slow I cannot connect wireless) access and that is all they are responsible for!!! What??? I ordered "high speed wireless" WTF! The tech I spoke to said, "All we are responsible for is you getting internet, you have internet right?" I told her yes but through the LAN only. She responded that I should go and buy a booster??? This service is the worse I have ever seen! I cannot believe they are still in business!!!!!

Least

Re: AGREED

Well, the bad news is that here in NM their phone support sucks too. WS bragged about new Fiber Optics last year... made my town a hub... they state they are still trying to program the new gear and local techs always quote they about have it fixed. Last night I called tech support...tech reset my account with the result that I went from 2.70megs to 1.63megs on a 12meg account. Guy started telling me my equipment was wrong...I.E. don't need a router and am I sure I hooked it up correctly. (Until I told him his local tech wished he had my home built computer as it beat everything WS has at his shop.) Made him mad. Stated service was bad in my area with NO forcast for a fix in site...with Fiber Optics...asked me to call customer service in the morning as they could help me better. Sad service for a 3 year customer. Tech support cannot help so he pawned me off---nice WS ...great service. Thinking of switching to Baha Broadband----though I am told they are lousy also....no rest for the weary.

Re: AGREED

At least they reset your account. I asked for that today and they lied about it then refused to do it. They said they did it but neither of the modem lights blinked like they should when they reset things.

Review by Bodybagger See Profile

• Location: Saint Matthews,Calhoun,SC
Good "None"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "St. Matthews, SC Service Horrid!"

1-29-14

So our internet was working good for about 3 months after the DSLAM was fiber fed back in April I think? Ever since sometime around October our net has been back to the 300ms+ ping times every single night and barely 2.4Mb/down when we pay for 6. The service is completely unusable all weekend long. They are now stating that a switch that feeds my area is causing the bottleneck and their plans to repair it/replace it are for April of this year. Every single time we have called since Oct. they have had no ETR and no idea what was going on. Recently this month I got in touch with someone at tier 2 stating that the switch was bad and needed to be replaced. No ETR from him... After submitting another complaint to the BBB I finally got an ETR of April this year. Really strange that no one in Windstream could give me an ETR but all of a sudden after the BBB complaint they come up with one? These guys are crooks no matter how you look at it. Also, I was told by a local tech that all these guys do is take your money and buy up smaller telcos. They have no interest at all in repairing service for the people they have already... but rather take their monthly fees and buy up smaller companies.

I really hope Windstream burns to the ground very, very soon. I've... we've had enough of their constant BS that no one in this world should have to put up with from their ISP. If you can afford anything better and if there is competition in your area.. choose anyone other than Windstream. They are the worst ISP on the planet and they don't care at all about their customers or their network. I despise this company with a passion. And I am not alone when I say I hate them with every ounce of being. I hope they get sued and have to pay billions of dollars back to all of their customers that they have done wrong through all the years they have been in business. They do not even deserve to exist.

12-9-12

Service sucks. The worst ISP on Earth. Been given repair dates forever when none have been met. Last repair date we got now is the 31st of this year. 600ms+ ping every single night for over months. Connection randomly drops out completely. $10 credit on my account but they cannot provide any more than that? T1 tech support is like talking to a brick wall.. and when they do talk back, they are complete assholes and rush you off the phone. Called in yesterday and spoke to a t1 manager and he refused to help and refused to transfer us to someone else that would help because he didn't want to waste another person's time to hear our issues. I've had better service when I was on 56k.

Update 1-31-12

Service still goes out at random times. We have had better service over the past few months than we have had in a long time, but regardless where we live the issues are still present. There is no fix unless everything in this area is brought up to date as far as equipment and lines. We also have a shredded phone box that serves our road that has been this way since summer of last year. Cost keeps going up for the service and the quality/speeds stay down the drain. I still wouldn't recommend Windstream to anyone... ever. Maybe one day we will get some competition out here and put this company out of business. Or atleast make them fix their horrible service.

I would greatly recommend another DSL provider over this company. We've had so many problems from outages, random drops, latency issues, packet loss, and overall slow speeds. We live just in range to only be able to receive the 1.5Mbps package and alot of the time it isn't even that. So many phone calls to Windstream about speed issues and they want to sell us the 3Mbps package because it is "available" in our area and we "can" run it stable. Once they hook us up to the 3Mbps, drops are seen about every minute. Simply put, LIES!

Anyway, someone lives here that works from home and they have lost wages and time due to the internet service. Windstream cannot do anything about that... but they USE to until it was costing them too much money due to the amount of complaints they were receiving.

If Windstream doesn't have the monopoly in your area like they do here, I would greatly recommend choosing a different service. Windstream is applying for a good amount of money to "upgrade and improve" their equipment, but alot of rural areas will probably never see it. We have some of the worst and oldest equipment in our area and that is the reason we are having so many issues... and Windstream isn't going to spend the money to update old "junk" this far out from town. Words straight from a Windstream tech...

-An issue has been going on with this terrible company for at least 4 months. Since early December our internet service has been slower than dial-up usually at or around peak times (7est-11:30est). We've been lied to over and over on when the issue will be resolved. Nothing has been done to correct our problems no matter how many times we call and complain. We've contacted the BBB on them and still haven't received the service we pay for every month. We pay $45 a month for 1.5Mb speed because we cannot get anything faster. We have no other providers in our area. I've seen where other places pay $45 a month for 20Mb down 2Mb up. If we had another choice this company would never get another penny from us. I would recommend to anyone that has other options other than Windstream to really consider who they want to provide their internet services. And yes Windstream may be $5 cheaper in areas that have cable or AT&T, etc. but you are much, much better off than ever dealing with this terrible ISP. It would save you alot of hassle in the long run.-

member for 4.3 years, 1138 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
totalradio

I feel the pain.

Seeing what you're going through remind me of when I had to re-establish my static IP recently. I went from 3mb to 12mb, but when they changed the speed, they got rid of my static IP and gave me a dynamic IP. Two weeks & several phone calls later, I finally got my static IP back. The last time I called, of course, I got someone in tier 1 support. Anyone who's dealt with Windstream's tier 1 support knows that its a crap shoot at the very best and your worse nightmare on average. When I got tier 1 support, I briefly explained my problem. The lady put me on hold, and when she returned, she started to explain that she couldn't do anything at which time I told her to bump me up to tier 2 support. Instead of getting an excuse, she actually transferred me to T2. When I got there, a guy asked me my problem, accessed my profile, saw the problem and corrected it in 5 minutes. Later on, I realized that 12mb speed wasn't really doing anything beneficial to me, so I went back down to 3mb and this time kept my static IP.

Its clear to me, and it should be to everyone else, that Windstream doesn't train their tier 1 support in anything, except to lie and use the term "latency outage" when they can't, or won't fix a particular problem in a particular area. The reason is a simple one. Windstream's debt load is so high, they really can't make extensive fixes to areas that were shoddy when they bought them from smaller companies. They're just milking what money is there until something gives.

I would give a better response than this, but I had a recent review removed because I told the truth about DSL Extreme and their service (or lack of a service), and someone whined and got it removed. But here's an idea you might try.

The Federal Trade Commission has oversight on what companies advertise. Whether it be television, radio, print, etc., all claims of service must be met. If Windstream advertises a service for a certain amount of speed and they consistently do not deliver, a complaint to the FTC might be in order. The FTC does have the power to either make them deliver on their claim, or stop advertising service they can't deliver. But this might backfire as it will be cheaper to stop advertising than to fix problems. Its a 50-50 shot.

Good luck in however you deal with Windstream

Review by Silvy See Profile

• Location: Citra,Marion,FL
Good "Um the router never caught fire?"
Bad "If you are looking for the worst service and speed ever, stop looking you're here!"
Overall "Dig out that old 56k modem it's faster"

Back when our area got 3 Meg DSL things weren't bad. Of course like everyone else on here, as more subscribers joined and Windstream sat on their money coming in they never bothered to invest in the infrastructure, thus during evening/weekends, expect a high speed of about .2 to .5 which is sad, pathetic and really should be actionable. Good luck on calling it in though, all I got was a sales pitch for their $150 router (ooh with wireless built in!) oh and the $10 month 'protection' fee offered. So I can spend tons MORE money for that awesome speed... All you ever get is "oh yes there is a ticket open on that, we expect it will be resolved in . If you are in a location where ANYTHING else is offered, go with it... All that said, I will say in years past when dealing with the local tech, he was great. He truly tried to help but being held hostage by the corporate office leaves them powerless to resolve things.

It's criminal that a business can make such empty promises and not face any repercussions.

Comments:
brayhaven

join:2014-01-30

windstream Florida

I'm a little north of you but having the same or worse.. They've been saying they are fixing it... for 1.5 years. Took me 2.5 minutes to log onto this forum. Can we all just keep track of the days it doesn't work & deduct it from our bill? If I had an option, I'd take it. Have you looked into sattelite internet> Was thinking of doing that. As for the old 56K dial up, mine was never this slow... (
Greg

Re: windstream Florida

Guys...Forget dealing with your state agencies. Might try going to the Federal Trade Commission. If they advertise a speed and they constantly neglect to deliver, the FTC has the power to make them improve the service, or quit advertising the speed. Could be thought of as misrepresentation, which is illegal by federal law. But again, it probably will be cheaper to stop advertising than to improve the service. Windstream is so far in debt, they can't afford to make too many fixes unless they face stiff competition in areas they operate.

Might be worth a shot. Worse they can say is no.
kpatt2006

join:2012-08-14
Greensburg, KY
·Windstream

This is every day/night in my area since November 2011. Sure, sometimes around 2 a.m. the speed will get around 2.5 mbps, but I shouldn't have to live my life around my ISP and when it will actually be usable. I've went through every agency, BBB, FCC, state consumer protection, and nothing is ever accomplished. Windstream will never pay for what they are doing to customers.

Review by The Limit See Profile

• Location: Sanford,Lee,NC
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "It works."
Bad "Ping times are 200+ ms to every site =/"
Overall "Windstream has been spiraling downward in terms of quality."

UPDATE 11/04/09-- Seems like a lot of packet loss has plagued my connection now, going on two weeks. Promise after promise of getting in touch with me, fixing the issue within 48 hours, and actually doing something about the issue; don't get me wrong, I get the advertised speed, but I use voip, and play online games that require a low latency connection. I haven't had ANY problems for two years now, and all of a sudden this crops up. I'm sorely disappointed due to the lack of communication among tech support and level 1 support, so two stars come off here.

I will admit that the tech on this site is very helpful, but he's one out of a many tech support people over at Windstream that could actually get things semi-right.

Two stars come off for value of money, in regards to the reliability of the connection. Same for services.

I wish I had an alternative.

UPDATE 08/20/09-- Still going strong. Switched to a 4200 Speedstream modem. Still running the WRT54G wireless router, but changed the firmware to Tomato 1.25. The connection works, get about 80% of my advertised speed. No complaints thus far. Just wish they would run the fiber to the switch already!

Had Windstream for quite a while now. Subscribed to their broadband when it was first available (because we were tired of dial up and using two lines for gaming, and nothing else was available), which was around 2000-2001. We are running 3072/384 speed profile on a speedstream 5200 modem and a linksys WRT54G (custom firmware- dd-wrt)(cost with phone bundle is around $60 a month), but wish they would upgrade our area to fiber so we can get 6 megs. Install was good, but the order wasn't so great. I remember we canceled at one time, and then we resubscribed for 3 meg, but was put on 1.5 meg.

We paid for 3.0 meg while on a 1.5 meg profile, so I called in. Didn't get it fixed the first time due to the person telling me it would take 3 business days. Called in again (sales line) because I was tired of talking to Wipro. Got the issue fixed within minutes! Another issue I have is them telling us that they would fiber feed our switch, but it hasn't happened yet. Have been told several stories, and all of them are false. I plan to call soon on the status of the upgrade.

Overall, great service though. It's been a REALLY long time since the last outage (I'm thinking 6+ months).

Normally, I don't give any service 5 stars because nothing is perfect, and we haven't had another choice of ISP other than Windstream. I gave Pre-sales 2 out of 5 stars because they told me that we had 6 meg available a while back, but the techs have tested the lines and told us that the switch we are on is not fiber fed. Install co-ordination gets 3 out of 5 stars because of the issue with being put on a 1.5 meg speed profile, when we were paying for 3.0 megs. Tech support has 4 out of 5 stars due to the fact that Wipro isn't not employed by Windstream anymore, and the local techs have been very helpful in getting problems fixed.

UPDATE 02/28/10 Service issues yet again, ping is through the roof, download speed is very unstable. This has been happening a lot in the last year or so, not sure what is going on, it seems like every time I call in that a bandaid is being placed on the problem, only for the problem to crop up again a few months later. Windstream needs to get its act together, as I'm getting tired of this.

UPDATE 03/04/10 Service has been restored, thanks to user Windstream. If it wasn't for him, I would probably still be having issues as of right now. Thanks man, you are appreciated in these forums.

UPDATE 06/02/10 I have been contacting customer support weekly now due to ping times in my area. Speeds are good, close to what I'm paying for, but high latency is not acceptable for VOIP or for my airave. No offense to you Jerry (I might have to start working through you again to get this fixed), but tech support has been subpar. Seriously, the reps should know that latency and speed are two different beasts. I had a rep INSIST that the reason why I'm having latency issues is because of the modem I'm using. I have two modems, tested them both, and I know that they are not defective because this used to not be an issue. Tech support has been edited on the review accordingly.

UPDATE 06/10/10 Still hasn't been fixed. This has been going on for a year now, high latency at night. I know it's oversubscription, because I've had 3 technicians come out and confirm the issue. I will be contacting the PSC and BBB, and if this continues to be a problem, then I will stop using Windstream services. This is unexcusable.

UPDATE 12/31/10 At this point, I don't recommend this service to anyone. Run far away from this company, that sums it up.

UPDATE 05/18/11 Still having issues with the service, I've called in at least six times in the last two weeks, and have been told that the ETA for the latency fix wouldn't be until August of this year. Weird, because if I stopped paying the bill, the service is cut off promptly, but if I demand what I pay for, I am given the run around. Have already filed a complaint with the BBB, now all I can do is wait. Wish I had another option, otherwise I would have already switched by now. Fact is, I need a reliable connection for school, and I can't have that apparently. So frustrating that Windstream can charge $50 (including taxes) for a 3 megabit connection, and still not deliver!

UPDATE 01/26/14 - I am no longer with Windstream. I moved to a different county. I am glad that I don't need to deal with them any longer. I now have service with TWC, and I haven't had an issues for the 2 years that I have had service with them.

member for 6.8 years, 1889 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by John S See Profile

• Location: Pella,Marion,IA
Good "Local field technicians are friendly and helpful"
Bad "Service is extremely unreliable, never reach advertised speeds"
Overall "Windstream is a horrible company, it's like a lottery where you almost always lose."

We have the 6 Mbps package with Windstream. A little backstory- We were previously with Iowa Telecom, who was bought out by Windstream a little while back. Iowa Telecom was offering 1.5 Mbps service in the area, but Windstream started offering up to 12 Mbps service on the same lines, and to many more customers, as my area is still developing. The result has been that since everyone is trying to use way more than their share of the available bandwidth, no one has reliable service. I have 5-10% packet loss regularly, download speeds are typically around 3 Mbps, and my latency is incredibly high for DSL. They have done nothing to upgrade the area's service even though I have contacted them several times. This company clearly cares nothing about the quality of their service, and like many other Windstream customers, there is no other option available in my area. Since the FCC doesn't regulate ISP's, there is nothing that I can do to my knowledge about the situation, and they aren't likely to spend money upgrading the system just because one person is bugging them. I am at a loss for what to do. So, in conclusion, if you sign up with Windstream- good luck. It's very potluck, and chances are they are doing the equivalent of selling 5 times as many plane tickets as there are seats on their airplane, only with bandwidth.

Comments:
totalradio

Not surprising

Yours is the typical problem that they have with Windstream. As long as you have no competition, nothing will get improved. However...

If Windstream is constantly advertising their DSL speeds at a certain rate, and they repeatedly do not meet them, there is one thing you can try. The Federal Trade Commission regulates what companies advertise. If they don't meet what they advertise, they DO have the power to make them either improve their service, or quit advertising what they try to sell. Of course, its cheaper to quit advertising than to upgrade equipment, so that may backfire.

But again, Windstream is worse than AT&T, so don't expect much out of them.
iowaboy
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA
·WildBlue

Re: Not surprising

I can agree with they don't repair lines that are bad. The line coming to me can be tested to 1800 feet of me at almost right at 3 Mbps download. Great huh? well go the next pedestal which is 500 feet from me and the speed drops to 1003 kbps. Well the techs reported the issue and even the techs that monitor and try to help out found that there is a issue. Even the techs I speak to on the phone and have sent me 4 modems in 14 months for modem disconnections 4 plus times day can see there is a line issue. Well came down to area manager decided there will never be a line fixed. Our lines are buried and that bundle goes to 3 homes and that isn't enough to fix the issue and make a better, clearer voice calls, that is another story, and also make it so 2 of the homes would have better connection and clearer phone calls. I asked about running a temp line across the ground just as a test to see what would straighten up the issue then we would know for sure. Nope can't do that. I know for a fact that before the sale Iowa Telcom would have done that till they could get a crew out to replace the bundle. Seen them doing before, In fact they did where I used to live. We do have 3 other internet providers where I live, But they do not come out as far as I live. In fact one stops 1800 feet away from me.

Re: Not surprising

As a retired CenturyTel tech (now CenturyLink), looks like you have bad cable. Windstream is up to their eyeballs in debt, so they won't fix anything unless they have to. Seems that Windstream only fixes problems in areas where they have serious competition.

On another note, I visited Iowa for the first time about 10 years ago. Always heard about the endless cornfields and such. I flew into Des Moines and grabbed a car rental and went to Knoxville. Got to see a lot of cornfields there. We have cornfields here too, but not as much as Iowa does. Maybe one day I'll return to Iowa and spend a little more time there.

Good luck with Windstream. You might just need it.

Review by IH8Sn0wFal See Profile

• Location: Broken Arrow,Tulsa,OK
Good "Unlimited COnnection, no restrictions, servers allowed"
Bad "SLOWWW, cuts out ALOT of the time. barely works during peak hours"
Overall "For anyone that ants to use the internet, your better off Getting another ISP/Cell phone"

Windstream is our only choice when we moved to a new house, the highest ackage we could get was a 3MB package, order and install took awhile, we used our OWN router and modem, since theirs is horrible..
UPDATE: 2-1-13: we have been upgraded to 6mbps, getting around 3-4 with 90ms ping.. still dropping every few hours..

UPDATE 12-30-13: we have been using our 6mbps package, and recently upgraded our router to an Asus router, now we are getting around a 45ms ping with an average of 4. download, and only about 1-3 drops a day, has gotten much better

- Jack

member for 2.4 years, 215 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
tonyNM

Espanola, NM

Monopoly by windstream in rural areas

Congratulations, you must be in an area where windstream has competition
GPmax1

join:2014-01-19

Re: Monopoly by windstream in rural areas

Windstream has a monopoly in my area too.

Review by mstre See Profile

• Location: Dorset,Ashtabula,OH
Good "When it works it is ok but that is very seldom!!!"
Bad "Never works and they just make promisses ==monopoly on area!!"
Overall "Stay away"

We signed up for $55.00 and promised 6meg. Three years and we just got 3meg. When we got first bill $80.00!! They just said I was wrong and take it or leave it in so many words knowing they are the only service in the area. The thirty dollars is taxes! We could only get 1.5meg. They said they were updating equipment and should be getting 6meg in a few months. Well its 3 years later and we get 3meg when it works 15 min out of a day!! They have been working on it for a month every day or so and still can't get it to work right. We thought they had it when we got 3meg and the web pages loaded fast but 30 min later back to 0.07 meg. They still can not find the problem after four modems and all new wire in our house. They just keep playing games and not fixing the problem! Two of their hired techs said they have to many customers for the dslam!! All we get is a song and dance when we call and they are the only provider in our area. They are just rip off artist.

Comments:
totalradio

Taxes & fees, et al

The taxes that you speak of are probably "un-fees" that Windstream likes to charge in places where they don't face competition. If they need to raise the price of your connection, they just raise the "un-fees" and they don't have to increase the advertised price.

The problem that most Windstream users have, are that Windstream doesn't upgrade their equipment in those non-competitive area. They don't have to, since DSL is an unregulated product in most states, therefore most PUC's (or PSC's) are powerless to do anything. Even if Windstream wanted to upgrade, they really can't afford to upgrade equipment or cable in wholesale fashion because their debt load simply won't allow them. They need to pay down debt soon.

Windstream will promise an elevator and give you the shaft. The employee "trolls" on here simply will say whatever to try and appease the customer.

I lived in an AT&T area before moving to a Windstream area. I'm lucky that Windstream does have meaningful competition in my area. Coupled that with the largest employer (Georgia Pacific) being their largest customer in the area. Windstream is a far worse company than AT&T and I cannot trust them either.

Don't get me wrong, when I've had a problem that was local in nature, the techs are real good in fixing problems on the local level. Its the tech support that you'll have the problem, since none of them know anything about DSL or the telephone business and Windstream doesn't train them in it.

But like many on here, we feel your pain. Good luck in dealing with Windstream.

You'll need it.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

Re: Taxes & fees, et al

DSL unregulated in most states? Try all states. the FCC has deemed that it is an information service and not subject to regulation.

Rooster

@sbcglobal.net

Bandwidth

Sign up for "DSL Lite" you'll never know the difference.

Review by VTXJENNY See Profile

• Location: Liberty,Casey,KY
Good "nothing good"
Bad "everthing s@cks"
Overall "avoid if possible."

Third world countries have faster internet than Windstream....if there is no incentive (competition) why should they care. The absolute worst customer service...all liars.