Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by coldmoon See Profile

• Location: Broadway,Lee,NC
Good "Tech support personnel are honest and do the best they can"
Bad "Reliably slow, grossly overpriced, heavily over-subscribed "
Overall "Total lack of competitive pressures leads to high prices with poor service"

Completely overpriced for the service they deliver. Network is over-subscribed to such a degree that watching simple YouTube videos comes with extreme buffering, making the service useless for anything other than checking e-mail and working on on-line forums that have no video content.and this is on a 3M account (highest they provide in my area).

If this is broadband, you might be better off using carrier pigeon...

If this provider is the only one available in an area you are thinking of moving to, look for your new home elsewhere; you will be thankful you did!

Comments:

Cine

@windstream.net

Class action suit

Ok, so when is someone going to take up our cause? They sold me a bill of goods they can't deliver. They have a bad rep for selling in areas they don't have equipment to service properly. I can't even sit down with my iPad and do a Google search without having to wait, like in land line days. Forget Xbox or YouTube. Before you buy a house, make sure you have choices. Verizon, where are you when I need you? And where is our knight in shining armour lawyer. This is one that can be won!
GearheadX

join:2010-05-11
Hilliard, FL

Re: Class action suit

We can't file a class action lawsuit because of the terms of service we all signed. We can, on the other hand, contact the FCC and our local news outlets.

Poor Service

The problem with Windstream is that when they purchased the smaller telcos, they bought them (knowingly or not) with the infrastructure in poor or horrible shape. It costs quite a bit to replace long stretches of cable, or in some cases, they have inadequate circuits feeding their DSLAMS. When the DSLAMS are at their capacity, they can't (or won't) upgrade the circuits feeding the DSLAMS because that's also expensive. So they keep selling DSL in those areas until the DSLAM gets full. By that time, everyone on that DSLAM notices extremely slow speeds. Couple that with bad cable in the area, and the problem becomes worse. Windstream knows this, and they keep selling DSL in those areas, and they should know better. Windstream simply cannot afford to make even moderate repairs in those areas as Windstream's balance sheet is horrible. They are concentrated on paying down their massive debt, which is nearly crushing the company because they don't have the cash to make any capex.

However, getting the media involved really won't do any good, since all Windstream does is pay lip service to the media. Unless the media aggressively follows up on the problem in a particular area, Windstream simply waits until the attention dies down, and its back to business as usual. Depending on your location, contacting your state's Attorney General may prove fruitless too. Windstream usually contributes to most state AG's, so nothing gets done, as that state's AG may turn a blind eye to their practices.

If you think Windstream might be advertising their service and constantly fails to provide them, even moderately, may I suggest a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). They deal in false & deceptive advertising and can move against Windstream more aggressively. They have the power to make them either deliver proper services, or stop advertising services they can't deliver. The FTC can also file suit against Windstream (on behalf of customers) for failure to follow FTC orders. Since DSL is a de-regulated product, complaining to your state Public Service Commission, or like equivalent won't do any good. Complaining to the FCC probably won't do any good either, unless it involves problems with your telephone service. Even if Windstream tells the FTC "yeah, yeah, yeah, we'll work with our customers and deliver what we promise", except the FTC will aggressively follow up to make sure that they do and won't stop until they do one or the other. The FTC has more power that most federal agencies, except the EPA or IRS, possesses.

So, if you complain to the FTC, make sure you have a copy of what they're advertising, and proof of the service that you currently receive. If the FTC gets enough complaints, they will look into the matter.

nunyabiz

@windstream.net

windstream (shitstream) sucks!

If only, if only there was some computation; I would leave these folk so fast. . . I've endured the monopoly for 9long years, and it's never been anything but sucky. If I had to rate it with numbers, I would have to use large exponents! Fuck windstream!

Review by BoZee See Profile

• Location: Sweeny,Brazoria,TX
Good "Does not cap usage, claims to only throttle down speed for all users on heavy usage."
Bad "Speed is never at speed we're signed up for and often is ancient dial-up speed or lower."
Overall "Use any other Internet provider if at all possible. "

Windstream unpredictably will operate at dial-up speed or slower for weeks at a time, despite us paying for a 3-Mbps connection. I hate to think of the speed of those with regular connections. Any high bandwidth service such as video is unusable most of the time, despite us paying a premium monthly rate. Tech Support is courteous and tries to be helpful, but they are apparently not kept in the loop by the corporation or are told to lie.

member for 248 days, 113 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Disappointed

@98.20.38.x

Bad Service

They charge 93 a month lifetime for phone and Internet. How ever we have problems with both. I assume they drafted this company to handle rural areas to have some sort of service on occasion. They should be deducted for services not provided.

Review by IH8Sn0wFal See Profile

• Location: Broken Arrow,Tulsa,OK
Good "Unlimited COnnection, no restrictions, servers allowed"
Bad "SLOWWW, cuts out ALOT of the time. barely works during peak hours"
Overall "For anyone that ants to use the internet, your better off Getting another ISP/Cell phone"

Windstream is our only choice when we moved to a new house, the highest ackage we could get was a 3MB package, order and install took awhile, we used our OWN router and modem, since theirs is horrible..
UPDATE: 2-1-13: we have been upgraded to 6mbps, getting around 3-4 with 90ms ping.. still dropping every few hours..

UPDATE 12-30-13: we have been using our 6mbps package, and recently upgraded our router to an Asus router, now we are getting around a 45ms ping with an average of 4. download, and only about 1-3 drops a day, has gotten much better

UPDATE 9-9-14: After alot of complaining and trying all the options we have, have gotten upgraded to 12mbps bonded DSL, which peaks at around 10mbps, still has drops but is much better

- Jack

member for 2.8 years, 358 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
tonyNM

join:2014-01-05
Espanola, NM

Monopoly by windstream in rural areas

Congratulations, you must be in an area where windstream has competition
GPmax1

join:2014-01-19

Re: Monopoly by windstream in rural areas

Windstream has a monopoly in my area too.
HoTMeTaL
join:2010-02-12
Coweta, OK

I tire of Windstream's fraud as well

Here is a post of actual speeds from my SamKnows box monitoring their speeds from 9-22-2014 to the last test done today at 10am on 9-23-2014 charting download speed sustained - hourly

Review by linuxtom See Profile

• Location: Ashland,Boyd,KY
Good "Tier II support has tried to help"
Bad "Everything else"
Overall "Windstream Sucks!"

Years and years of sheer disgust with Windstream. Nothing but outage after outage after outage after outage. Speeds on my bonded 12mps line consistently below provisioned rate. If I had any other viable option at this point I'd switch to another provider today.

Comments:
totalradio

Not surprising

I recently (within the last couple of hours) had a "Comcast" moment with Windstream. For the past 2 weeks, my internet has gone down in the early evening for an extended period of time. Tonight, I've had enough, so I called to disconnect my DSL. Had to call 8 TIMES, having to navigate the useless phone tree and being disconnected several times. On the 7th time, I finally got a live, breathing person (at least I think they were breathing), so I asked why this is happening, and of course, got the usual response "we see there is a problem in your area". NO JOKE ! I ALREADY KNOW THAT ! So they were going to bump me up to Tier 2 support (I have a static IP), but for whatever reason, I got disconnected again (surprise, surprise). So, this time I call (the 8th time) and was going to disconnect my DSL service. A woman (very unfriendly) named "Nicole" (if that's her real name), began the conversation with the usual song & dance and told me "we see a problem in your area". DUH ! So I told her I wanted to disconnect, which she REFUSED and hung up on me also.

So tomorrow, I will be calling Windstream to de-excommunicate the hell out of that company's DSL. There is NO reason that I had to go through all of that, just to be hung up on TWICE and still no way to do what I wanted to do, until tomorrow. In my town, we do have a choice for internet, so I'll be calling them as soon as I kick Windstream to the curb. With what you spend on DSL, you'd think it would be more reliable than it is.

Sorry Windstream, you've lost a customer because of your incompetence and sheer bone-headedness, not to mention the attitude of your "customer service" folks.

Look out Media 3, I'm coming to call !
kpatt2006

join:2012-08-14
Greensburg, KY

Re: Not surprising

Should have recorded the call trying to cancel service like that tech guy did with comcast a few weeks ago and made headline news all over the place. Windstream doesn't care what they look like if they're the only ones seeing it along with their customers because they know most of their customers are with them without any other options. Maybe putting them on full blast to countless media outlets and the internet they'll at least seem like they care a little.

Re: Not surprising

Tried that too. As I told the 8th caller that I was going to record the call, and her response, she hung up. Fortunately, I have the e-mail addresses of Jeffery Gardner and some of his key minions and they will be getting some attention from me in the next few days. I bear no malice to those in "customer service" (if you can call it that) because they're only a reflection of what management wants done...which isn't much more than lip service.

Review by mdbrozik See Profile

• Location: Fredericktown,Washington,PA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "12MB was something 5 years ago now not so much"
Bad "no speed increase for 5 years "
Overall "I'm No Longer Happy"

24 Jul 14. Still stuck with 12mb service five years later. Many days it doesn't test over 9mb. Upstream is less than1 mb. Atlantic Broadband has a 75x3 option for $45/month I've been looking at but I'm going to give Windstream one more chance to at least get me to 24mb.

UPDATE: 31 Aug 09. Got Ultimate service in May and am very happy. Connection is rock solid and uptime nears 100% as I use the WS line monitor svs offered in the WS forum here at dslreports and see results in my email each week. Now I want FTTH and 24MB service I see WS offering in some locations

UPDATE: 29 Mar 08 Windstream still only game in town. No upgrade to Ultimate 6M pkg yet. Can't complain; connection is usually rock solid. The speed sometimes fade in the Evenings or Weekends. I get 2.4m up .320m down during off peak periods. During heavy usage periods my up leg will fade to 1.5-1.8m. I would pay more for additional bandwidth and can only dream of fiber to the home.

UPDATE: Alltel sold to Windstream. Speed still OK but not great. Windstream refuses to upgrade to 6M speeds. I can't complain; It has rarely failed to work.

UPDATE: 27 Dec 04. Alltel Still OK Beats Direcway. Some DNS issues and modem power cycles required to fix occaisional slow connection. promo rate wore off now its $49/month. would like more upload speed, the 108 that i'm getting sucks.

I've been a direcway SRS customer for 11 months after using dial-up for 8 years. When Alltel announced DSL in my exchange, I said that I would ride out my d-way contract and make the switch. However, d-way has really been terrible as of late and I decided to jump early.

The initial sales staff couldn't find my address for a pre qual check. Told me to check back in a few days. On the third attempt about 10 days later, I was told that my line would work. The next day I got the speed stream 5200 VIA UPS RedLabel even though my service would not start for five days.

On my live date, all work well. I got a call from the installer at the co. I synch up and all has been well for the last week. Speed is advertised at 768 /128 and I've been averaging 615 /110. Direcway was faster but not consistant. I'd be downloading at 150K and drop to 30K back up to 110K back to 15K. Alltel DSL is a steady 80K download so far. Ping times range about 60-80ms. Service is dynamic IP but mine hasn't changed in a week despite modem resets when I was configuring my router.

Direcway was good at first too so I'm hoping for continuity of service with Alltel. I'll provide updates as I experience issues both good and bad.

Comments:

Review by gwm743 See Profile

• Location: Jasper,Pickens,GA
Good "service reliability while not good yet, has improved"
Bad "Dishonest practices regarding price for life plan; unreliable service; expensive for what you get"
Overall "only game in town except for satellite"

I have had Windstream at my mountain cabin for 3 1/2 years. Initially the price was reasonable but the service reliability was horrible. In early to mid 2011 I ordered static IP service from them $20/month for static IP was sort of expensive, but I needed it so I paid. The process of getting the service converted from dynamic IP to static was painfully slow to get provisioned and took multiple phone calls to people that had no clue what they were doing in order to get it completed.

In January 2012 I discontinued the static IP service as I no longer needed it and it was expensive. They informed me it was too much trouble to change my configuration but they would stop charging me for it but not to change my router configuration. I was fine with that. It worked find until 04/21/2014 when they deleted the static IP setup with no notice to me. If they had only emailed me I could have changed my router setup in advance to PPPoE dynamic so that it would have continued working. Since they didn't tell me I lost remote access and was without service for over a month since I was off-site and could not fix the configuration.

Now for my BIG complaint. In late 2013 Windstream called me to inform me that my area had a network upgrade and I now qualified for 12mbs service. They offered to upgrade me to the new speed for only $2 a month and at the same time lock my account on the "price for life" plan so that the rate could never increase. I accepted the offer. I had been paying about $53 a month at that time. The first bill after the upgrade came in at the expected $55 range. By March of 2014 by increasing the surcharges section of the bill they had added about another $1 to bill and I was paying $56/month. Not a big deal, but not a locked price. In May 2014 another $1 showed up and the new total was $57 a month... again, I noticed but did nothing as the increase was still small. In June 2014 the new bill came in and was $64.80. A nearly $10 increase from the "locked" rate I was promised when they "upgraded" my service. The latest increase was mainly by removing an offsetting credit against the federal subscriber line charge (SLC) that I had been receiving.

On June 12, 2014 I called and spoke with a CSR and explained all of the above. The CSR blamed the recent increase on the SLC claiming they had no control over the increase as that is a FCC fee. That is a flat out lie. I have done some research and while the FCC allows telcos to charge the SLC, it is not mandated by the FCC, and in fact telcos are free to absorb the SLC if they so choose. Bottom line is Windstream represented to me that my bill would be locked in with "price for life" and then has used "surcharges and fees" to increase my bill by nearly 20% in just 6 months. I am posting this review here, and also considering a complaint to the FTC

Comments:
gwm743

join:2014-06-14
Jasper, GA

Changes to situation

After doing some research and arming myself with information from the FTC, as well as information from Windstreams own web site, I called back on June 19, 2014 and asked for a supervisor. The CSR that took my call said she had to hear my issues before transferring me to a supervisor, so I gave her the whole story above. She started by giving me the same "company line" as the previous CSR did on 06/12. I made it clear that I was not going to accept that and that I knew the SLC was not required by the FCC and that it was Windstreams choice to start charging (stop issuing the line item credit) me that fee. I also pointed out that their own web site touts "Don't worry about your bill going up" on the price for life page. It makes no mention of the guarantee being only for the service line item. It says your "bill". She then agreed to issue a credit of $6.50 for the current month and then a $10/month credit going forward for the next 12 months. I found her to be quite helpful within the restrictions that her employer places on her. I will have to fight again in 12 months, but at least for now my bill will actually drop back to around what I was paying or maybe even a dollar less than what I was paying when I accepted their "price for life" offer.

Review by micco See Profile

• Location: Helen,White,GA
Good "Nothing good... Not a single redeeming factor..."
Bad "Latency, Bandwidth, Price, Reliability, Resolution of Issues or lack there of,"
Overall "If I had a choice I would choose it.... If you have a choice don't choose Windstream"

After getting caught lying about speeds in Georgia, fees, surcharges and rates have gone UP! My bill has increased 35 percent over last year. The state of Georgia needs to RAIN HARD on this company, stop allowing them to monopolize coverage areas, and allow competition to enter. Free markets will sort this problem out in a heart beat.

The actual service itself. Latency=sucks, options=suck, speed=suck, reliability=suck, customer service=ARE YOU KIDDING ME!
This is why people hate large corporations..

Comments:
micco

·Windstream

Light in the tunnel...Maybe....

Posted in the Windstream Direct section of DRLreports.com. Hopefully we will get somewhere with this. So far today speed and latency are were they are supposed to be but I have only been on for 20 minutes.

Windstream
join:2009-03-31
Twinsburg, OH

micco-
I apologize, we sent you a message a few days ago requesting your home phone number so we could pull up you account. When you get a moment please provide us your home phone number on the secure forum.

Thanks,
Aaron
Specialist II
We're here to help! wci.broadbandhelp@windstream.com

Re: Light in the tunnel...Maybe....

Sent it twice to 2 different people.. still nothing yet.. Smoke signals maybe?

»www.speedtest.net/result/1996288882.png

getting worse not better.....

»www.speedtest.net/result/1996296493.png

one worse.. packets via smoke signals would be FASTER! I need resolution to this problem NOW!

»speedtest.net/result/2000259516.png

Got so slow last night called tech support.. After a few disconnects from tech support I was finally told that there was a open trouble ticket for the area and it would be resolved by 10:30am today.. Here are the results.

»speedtest.net/result/2001136254.png

No steps forward and twenty back...

On the phone again.. I wonder if I am going to have to call every day for the techs to "rebuild" my connection so I have usable internet.

Monday I am contacting the local Public Service Commission and BBB reference the on going problems with Windstream and the complete and total lack of any kind of resolution, answer, or account credit.

Re: Light in the tunnel...Maybe....

Just told a new trouble ticket was opened with a resolution time of Tuesday before noon. How many tickets before the problem is solved?

Here are the results of the "Connection rebuild"...

»www.speedtest.net/result/2001155860.png

·Windstream

Well Aaron, after 1 month and 2 days I have heard ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FROM YOU! I am calling tech support 2 to 3 times a day for them to "rebuild the connection". They tell me that I am experiencing 80 to 100 percent packet loss. I spoke to a tech guy named Joe tonight (6-23) that was actually helpful. He actually admitted that the problem is with WINDSTREAM. He opened a 2nd tier trouble ticket (supposedly) #121373421 with a resolution time of Tuesday 6-26-12 by 7pm. I am not going to hold my breath...

I have requested a tech me sent out, they did NOT listen to what day I asked for him to be schedule on. He showed up a day early than called my cell phone 8 TIMES without leaving so much as a message. I called the next day to schedule another tech to come out and that person DID NOT EVEN SHOW UP! YOU GUYS ARE PATHETIC. YOU HAVE A MONOPOLY IN MY AREA FOR BROADBAND SO I CAN'T EVEN DUMP YOU FOR THE COMPETITION. YOU GET MORE FEDERAL FUNDING FOR RURAL BROADBAND THAN ANY OTHER TELCO IN THE U.S. THOSE ARE MY TAX DOLLARS YOU GUYS ARE WASTING. I AM FILING COMPLAINS WITH MY CONGRESSMAN, PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION, THE BBB, AS WELL AS SECRETARY OF STATES OFFICE MONDAY. I AM FED UP WITH THE COMPLETE AND TOTAL LACK OF ANY RESPONSE OR RESOLUTION OF MY PROBLEM.

I want my account credited retroactively, half of my monthly bill for May, April, and the ENTIRE bill for June. I pay for 3mbps and all I get is .2mbps. I would be better off with DIALUP!

»www.speedtest.net/result/2025737095.png

»speedtest.net/result/2025729283.png

»speedtest.net/result/2025722769.png

Helen, GA
Used to get decent speed during the day time but...

»www.speedtest.net/result/0.png

.16.. really ripping... I got more from a 56k modem...

»speedtest.net/result/1976975709.png

No changes. Still Sucks..

Re: Light in the tunnel...Maybe....

I am told by Windstream that there is an open ticket in my area to repair equipment. How big of an area? I have friends that live the next county over that pay for 12Mbit and get .5... They call to cancel their account after 20+ phone calls then all of the sudden its fixed... Funny... Can wait for the local Electric Co-Op to start selling fiber connections in my area. Time frame of August...

Anyway here is the latest speeds..

»speedtest.net/result/1985240862.png

·Windstream
Finally got a straight answer from Suckwind today.. They over sold services in the area and now have to install a new DSLAM with a 9/30 resolution day... Best they could do is offer a 10 credit until then... that is less that 1/4 of the monthly bill. They promise 60% of advertised speed, I get 20%. I am writing every governmental agency that will listen tomorrow as well as every consumer advocate I can find starting with Clark Howard.

Re: Light in the tunnel...Maybe....

Filed a complaint with the FTC and Georgia's Governors Office of Consumer Affairs yesterday. Trying to get more than just a 10 dollar a month credit on my piss poor DSL service.

Review by thutchings6 See Profile

• Location: Whitney,Hill,TX
  • Telco party @link
Good "Always on very little down time"
Bad "6mb is as fast as it gets.."
Overall "I will be switching to wireless/cable if they ever get higher speeds offered at my locale."

I started with 1.5 MB download and .512 MB upload..I had my dsl bundled with a phone package..It served the purpose at the time..I upgraded to 3.0 MB download and .384 upload as they would not offer the .512 upload anymore..I also did away with phone service and went to their greenstreak which is just dsl no phone plan..I liked that I still kept the same home phone number and could still receive calls at no cost..I bought a magic jack for outgoing calls and it has worked out well for me..I noticed here within the last few months that my upload speed has increased to .670 upload..I assume they upgraded everyone in my area to .768 upload who has the 3MB download..The only reason I upgraded to 3MB download was that I got netflix service and started streaming movies on my xbox..With the 3 MB download I can stream movies in HD..Sometimes my connection will slow a little and the movie will not stream in HD but 3MB download service is as fast as Windstream offers in my area right now..I have speedstream 4200 router running into LInksys WRT160N ver.2 wireless router..I started with Linksys WRT 54G and then went to a Belkin Model F5D7230-4 wireless G but both seemed to freeze and need to be rebooted to often, especially the Belkin..My WRT 160N is MUCH more stable and dependable..

When I first got windstream DSL it was when they first offered it in my area..Great at first but after about a year and a half they had over sold the available band width and service was very slow at peak times of the day..IE: after school let out until about 10 PM at night..They finally ran fiber cable to my DSLAM and it made a world of difference..That is also when they started offering the 3MB download..

Over all I've been happy with Windstream since they got through the growing pains..

Not happy any more!! Started experiencing the same problem as before but this time MUCH worse..Got no help from calling customer support..I will not deal with this crap for another year and a half as last time because now I have a choice!!

Still waiting for WS to do something..Have wireless service available but will cost $350 or more to get it in my house as I will need a pole or tower to be able to receive the signal..That also would include a 2 year contract..

I would not be so upset with WS if they would just admit the problem they have created by over selling.. It started when they started offering 12Mb service..They should move all customers back to 3Mb or less AND NOT SELL NEW SERVICE until they can upgrade their equipment to provide the service they sell..That is the most irritating part of all is that they continue to sell service that they know they can NOT provide!!

What if other utility companies, water electric etc., ran their business this way? Oh we will have your lights back working full time maybe sometime next year if your lucky..But in the mean time keep paying your bill as you have no other choice of providers!

Well I was on the verge of spending over $300 to get Nextlink Wireless when WS got my connection back to normal.. I think it was helped along by techs on WS forum.. I now get 15ms pings and full 6mb down almost all day.. The speeds will fall some and pings rise some at peak but mostly when we have many connections here in the house running at the same time.. Would love to have more speed but can not justify spending the extra money to get more speed.. They offer 12mb here but I'm to far from the dslam to get it.. I noticed some cable guys working in the area and wonder if that might have pushed WS to do something.. There used to be cable close to my area years ago but they went out of business because of not enough customers but the cable is still there..

Comments:
totalradio

·Windstream

Don't hold your breath...

Windstream has similar plans in our area. Problem is that download speeds for me aren't important, but upload is. Their upload speeds don't change from one plan to another, so I have the 3m service. 12m doesn't help me a damn it.

Another problem with Windstream is they like to pay lip service to its customers. They'll lie as long as they can get away with it, especially when someone has no choice for internet, other than Windstream. They really can't afford to "upgrade" areas, as their balance sheet is in the toilet, so if they've promised you "upgrades", take it with a grain of salt.

They used to have their trolls on here to "help customers", but I've yet to find one person they "helped". Since people are on to their lies, you don't see them on here anymore. So, my guess is that you're stuck with them until you can some meaningful competition.
rickash

join:2014-06-06

Re: Don't hold your breath...

Windstream has been the same here in NE KY for 10 years but I have no real complaints. I am getting 8.2M down and 803K up on the last test this evening. Direct TV had some servers down and the chat tech admitted it. But back up now and just fine. And I am watching/playing on a Kindle Fire....
rickash

join:2014-06-06

Windstream in NE KY

Outperforming what I pay for by a bit. I had 803K up about an hour ago, 8.2MB down is pretty constant. Can't get 12Meg svc as I am 7,221' from the LO...

Review by bcdavis1979 See Profile

• Location: Ashland,Boyd,KY
Good "none"
Bad "slow, expensive, lies about rates"
Overall "worst ISP I've had in 10+ years"

First let me say that this is the only ISP I have available to me or I would not be using them at all.

I placed my order with Windstream for their "High Speed Internet Flash" service which their website advertised as 6Mbps for 34.99 on 5/31/2013. I received a confirmation from them later that same day confirming a rate of 34.99/month plus 10.00/month for the modem for the first 12 months.

The next day I received a second email from Windstream confirming my order had been processed but "with exceptions" Turns out that they can only offer me 3Mbps at my location. Fine... I've got to have Internet for my job and 3Mbps is better than nothing. The email informed me that my installation date would be Friday, June 7th between 8-5pm and that my service should be live by 7pm that evening.

I received the modem/router and hooked it up on the 7th. At 7pm when I did not have service I called Windstream. After over an hour on the phone waiting for a representative I reached someone who informed me that my work order says my service will be active on the 8th not the 7th. I told the lady about the email I received and she apologized but said there was nothing she could do and I'd have service tomorrow.

The next day came and went and still not Internet. I called Windstream back on Sunday to let them know I still did not have Internet. The first rep I spoke to tried to troubleshoot the issue over the phone but was not able to connect to my modem. Then the line went dead. I called back and again had to wait over an hour on hold for a representative. This representative tells me that they need to dispatch a technician to take a look at the lines and that it will be Friday or Saturday before they can get anyone out there.

It actually took two visits from a technician to clear up the line noise and get me online. The speed was slow, but at least I was online.

A few weeks later I received my first bill and had sticker shock.

I had originally signed up for 6Mbps at a rate of 34.99/month. Since they were only able to give me 3Mbps at my location I expected a lower rate than that... logical, but not correct. My new rate? 39.99/month, plus a 120.00 one time fee for the modem, plus enough fees and taxes to take the bill up to 65.00/month for the recurring portion of the bill.

I attempted to resolve this billing issue with Windstream with several phone calls and emails. On 6/26/13 I spoke with "Robert" who asked me to send him the confirmation email I received advertising the 34.99/month for 6Mbps and he would have a supervisor call me. I forwarded the email to him and heart nothing back.

On 7/1 I sent him a follow up email letting him know I hadn't heard anything back. Robert replied and said he would speak to his supervisor again. Still no contact from Windstream.

on 7/8 I called Windstream and reached "Kimberly" who said she couldn't find any record of my previous interactions with Robert and again asked me to forward the email to her. I complied and again was told that I would get a follow up phone call that I never received.

When I received my next bill it turned out that some corrections had in fact been made. Not to the rate though. That was still 39.99. The correction they made? They credited me for the 120.00 modem fee and instead substituted a 10/month fee for 12 months to spread the fee out. I had no problem paying for the modem, and would rather have just paid for it all at once, but at this point I was so frustrated I just let it go.

I have made a few further attempts to contact Windstream and tell them that this rate is unreasonable given the service I'm receiving and the service they themselves advertise on their website. To this day if you put my address into their website it says I'm eligible for 6Mbps at 34.99/month.

If I had any other option I'd be taking it. I've actually considered going LTE as we get a great signal to our home on our iPhones, but the bandwidth limits just don't make it feasible since I work from home often.

Comments:

nikiinpa

join:2013-03-31
Rockton, PA
·Windstream

We have to take it because they are the only game in town

We have to take it because they are the only game in town & they know it, I was told awhile back I am lucky to even have their service by one of their techs, I imagine a lot of people in my area have left Windstream and gone to cable or Huges Sat internet.
I was going to go to Hughes but when I heard about you're only allowed so much of this and that I never went for it.

Windstream takes care of their stockholders not the customers who made them

mark40511

join:2004-10-12
Lexington, KY

Sorry to hear

about the fiasco you had to deal with. Aside from that, how is your 3 mpbs working so far? Is it consistent?

cryobaby

join:2001-10-26
Jefferson, GA

Used to be good, now, not so much

I have seen considerable amounts of degradation in the reliability of my Windstream internet svc. I have also seen considerable amounts of degradation in the quality of customer service. Up until March of 2014, i enjoyed a very stable connection of 12mb but after March I started experiencing loss of connection, outages lasting multiples days and of course, poor customer service where they tell me a technician will call when my svc is back up and they NEVER do. They lie, they offer unrealistic repair dates of over a month and they cant seem to keep accurate records of dialog between them and the CUSTOMER. I am going to file a complaint with the BBB and the FTC today. last night i got so frustrated with the first CSR i spoke with as he couldn't even confirm my last 4 of my social and was telling me i was wrong. Also, i think part of the problem is that they are putting the cart before the horse here in Jefferson, GA. There was a city council meeting held about a month and a half ago which the public was invited as well as two reps from Windstream. those two reps are lucky they made it out alive after being scolded by so many of mu fellow residents and subscribers and even two of the council members told of their distaste for what they are putting us through. Many in my town have been without svc for over a month!

Review by Bobec See Profile

• Location: Jefferson,Jackson,GA
Good "When things work: they work well"
Bad "Inadequate/slow response to problems: Customer Service/Tech Support are virtually useless"
Overall "Caveat Emptor: It can be really good or really bad and take a long time to fix"

The good observation: Once Windstream gets you up and running, my experience for the first couple of years was mostly positive relative to the reliability of the connection and consistency of the speed.

The 'bad' observation: Whenever problems arise (plunging speeds during peak & evening hours, frequent disconnects, etc.) Windstream doesn't respond quickly and they either don't communicate to customers or they provide conflicting status updates. Tech Support CSR's will routinely close trouble tickets before problems are actually fixed, without validating with customers that normal service has been restored. You'll need to make multiple calls to report the same problem. Example: Last year my 12MB service (and service for many others in my part of the country) had been reduced to dial-up speed and the only response from Windstream was "We are evaluating the situation in 2012 for possible resolution sometime in 2013." Yet....Windstream continued to bill me for 12MB service that it did not provide for months! After calling in multiple trouble tickets and starting posts in the Windstream Forum without resolution, I contacted the office of Windstream CEO Jeff Gardner and...voila!!!...I got a call from a VP and the problems were resolved the next day. I also started receiving a $10 per month billing credit, which is supposed to last for a year. Still wondering why it took an email to the CEO to actually get something fixed.

Slow response to connectivity/speed problems, poor communication between various departments within Windstream, vague/infrequent responses to customer complaints, and weak procedures related to follow-up and problem resolution are the things that seem to characterize the Company.

I should note that the field technicians (the guys who come to your house to help diagnose/fix issues) have been very reliable and helpful---they seem to have accurate information about what the lines and DSLM can and cannot support in my area, they know if there are bigger issues impacting my area, and they know how to fix problems.

member for 13.9 years, 1900 visits, last login: 4 days ago