Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by ddavis1202 See Profile

• Location: Wellford,Spartanburg,SC
Good "Local Service Techs"
Bad "Horrible speed"
Overall "Only use if they are your last option"

I have had Windstream for a little over a year. I have never received the advertised speed I have been paying for. Sales sold me 6MB service when I moved into my home and when they finally came to install, they said I could only get 1MB server. Since I work in server administration, I accepted the 1MB service since I have nothing else available to me. However, on most days, I was lucky to get 200K down and 100K up. After numerous calls, over a period of a few months and many canned excuses from support, one of the reps said "You should be on our 6MB service, that will help your issue out". Although skeptical, I agreed and they had it provisioned within a couple of days. Well things worked great during not peak hours, but anytime after 3pm, the speed would die back down to around 200K DL speeds or lesss. So more calls with support and they dispatch a tech who finally tells me the area is oversubscribed and that support never should have even sold me 6MB and he dropped my service down to 3MB. In addition, the tech told me there was absolutely nothing else they could do to resolve my issue...that I was basically stuck with my poor service until they decide to upgrade the DSLAM.

I would bail so fast if I had the option....Charter cable is about 3/4 mile from my address...maybe one day they will expand their coverage area.

Comments:
kpatt2006

no competition, no hope

Oversubscribed areas with no competition, that's the Windstream way. I've been battling that since November 2011. Since they still have no competition here, they still haven't upgraded their equipment for us to actually hit 3 mbps. Everyday speeds of less than 0.60mbps. Now, they have permanetely dropped us to the 1 mbps and says 3 is no longer available. So now I'm seeing speeds around 0.25 or less downloads and constant disconnections because it isn't fast enough to even recognize that it's even connected to the internet. Windstream has told me each year that upgrades are planned/on the way, but it never happens. As of today, equipment upgrades are scheduled here for early 2015...yea, right.

Review by Black_Mage See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Decent price"
Bad "I dealt with a lot of outages and didn't always getting advertised speed"
Overall "Only choose Windstream if it's your only choice"

Update Nov 1 2014

I no longer have service with Windstream because I got tired of outages. In the 2 years of service, I had a total outage time of a little over a month. Totally unacceptable for someone who uses their Internet connection as much as me. I was willing to tolerate not always getting the advertised speed. Getting no service was a deal breaker. The only reason I give tech support 4 stars is because of the great support I received from this forum.

member for 2.3 years, 954 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
SnakeDoctor

join:2013-07-22
King, NC

You were Lucky

I have good service in the past. In the last two years my service quality is sorry. I called the Attorney Generals office in N.C. to file a formal complaint. I suggest you do the same if you can not get your problems resolved. Calling the Utilities Commission here in NC will not get things resolved. Call the AG.

Black_Mage
iMage
join:2012-09-12
USA

Re: You were Lucky

Since Internet service is still considered a luxury, I don't know what the AG will be able to do.

Review by kpatt2006 See Profile

• Location: Greensburg,Green,KY
Good "LOL seriously?"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Avoid"

Absolutely the worst company I've ever been forced to use in my life. Been looking at houses to get out of this area and away from Windstream, but until then, I'm forced to be connected with Windstream. A latency outage started up in 2011. There has been countless phone calls made to Windstream tech support asking for answers. Almost every time I called, I would get different answers or no answers at all. Finally, using dslreports.com, I got the answer that this latency outage in my area was to be fixed sometime in 2013. So that is how much Windstream cares about their customers. Since they have no competition in this area, letting customers get less than 30% of the service they pay for on a daily basis for 2 years is no big deal or risk for them. Yes, on a daily basis I get less than 30% of the speed that is being paid for. I actually cannot believe this company is still in business. I guess it's because they target remote areas that will have no competition in ISP providers, oversell the area so no one gets the service they're paying for, and still charge as much as they want to knowing that their customers have no alternatives except to relocate their families to a better area.

UPDATE: Worse and worse, this company is getting. There is no way that the way they run this company can be legal. How do they still exist? Will the FTC do anything about it? I'll attach the latest speedtest screenshot from today, which was 0.12mbps download speeds. I can't even browse the internet or load email. It was about 12:30pm when I ran the test, but it was unusable a few hours before that, and it will be that bad until around 2 a.m., then it might hit 2.0mbps. The latest info from them is "we would know more in Q1 2015, but as of now, upgrades are still planned in 2015 for my area." They said they would have to check the budgets and see if it still works. LOL. I think when you spend nothing on upgrades for so long, charge the same overpriced cost, you're going to have enough budget if you actually wanted to upgrade. They don't though, they still have no competition. SCRTC is suppose to be coming into my county next year, which is why Windstream has kept pushing back their upgrades until they are in danger of losing their customers to another option. The absolute best speed my internet can reach now, 1mbps at 3 a.m... 30% of the speed I'm paying for. Am I getting a 70% discount? HAHA YEAH RIGHT

»www.speedtest.net/result/3838244573.png

member for 2.4 years, 343 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Fixed sometime in 2013?? WTF

"Latency outage in my area was to be fixed sometime in 2013?"

Talk about hillbilly internet!!!

I know there are based in Pulaski Little Rock but come on... Can't fix a fixable common issue until next year. Ridiculous...

Might want to look at »www.hughesnet.com/index.cfm?page···ing#gen4

Re: Fixed sometime in 2013?? WTF

I had Hughes net before I could get DSL and the latency is crazy. There is no online gaming or streaming of Netflix with 500-800ms latency. Yes, 2 whole years just for Windstream to upgrade their equipment. They have no problem still selling out internet service though because my grandma lives right down the road from me, doesn't have a computer, but Windstream calls her up every so often asking her to sign up for Windstream "high-speed" internet service! Haha gosh. It's getting worse too as time is going by because earlier this year, around 2am when my speed would actually be at 3.0mbps, my latency would be 45ms ping. Now, my speed doesn't hit 3.0mbps even at 2 or 3am, only a maximum of 2.4mbps at 98ms ping.

No such animal.

As a retired CenturyTel (now CenturyLink) employee, I dealt in DSL mostly for residential & business customers in my area. There is no such animal as a "latency outage". This is a phrase that Alltel (now Windstream) uses (and invented) to describe a problem they don't (or won't) know how to fix. 99% of the time, its usually bad outside plant because they don't (or won't) maintain it. In areas they purchased, the plant was already bad, and is getting worse.

Windstream really can't afford to make massive upgrades (or maintenance) to the plant because their balance sheet is still in the toilet from all of the purchases they've made over the years. Only when they're HEAVILY pressured, will they do anything to improve your service. Myself, I currently live in a Windstream area, but with their shoddy service and non-existent support (if you can call it that), I'm moving back to where I used to live where I had AT&T. At least where I used to live, AT&T worked very well.

All Windstream will do is pay lip service to you and when they're questioned by the press, lip service will be paid to them as well. I remember a time (last year), they used to troll around on here trying to "solve customer problems", when in fact, they couldn't (or wouldn't). You don't seen them on here anymore.

I feel your pain. Just roll with the flow until you move.

Review by jguillen80 See Profile

• Location: Espanola,Rio Arriba,NM
Good "CSR in local office was nice and eager to help me"
Bad "I have called cust. svc over 15 times to try and get faster connection. They say anything to get you off the phone"
Overall "Worst isp ever! If I had another choice I would take it"

I have been trying to get the 12 mbps package for since i first started svc. I have called 15-20 times already over the last 3 weeks. First they said I didn't qualify because of my address, I told them i have a different physical address than my mailing. they said they would check into the new address to see if i could get any faster speed. I waited for a call back after the rep said they would call me to let me know if it was possible. Waited a week and nothing. Called and called the following week and it was excuse after excuse about this and that. Finally Last Friday(10/10/14) the rep told me he put in the order to upgrade my speed but it wouldn't go into effect till Monday since i called later in the afternoon. Monday(10/13/14) came and went and I finally called in the afternoon and the rep said that it would be switched over first thing in the morning. Tuesday(10/14/14) morning passed while I played with the router, resetting it and stuff. So I finally called a little after noon and the rep said that it will go into effect by 5 PM. I called about 3 hrs later and the next rep said it will go into effect by 7 pm. I said to my self they are just telling me this to get me off the phone and stop bugging. Well after 7 pm I started a chat session with tech support . she is supposed to call me in the AM so we can 3 way customer svc again and finally get this taken care of. I seriously doubt it but we will see. If it doesn't happen by tomorrow(10/15/14) Im gonna raise a stink with the BBB the state of NM and the FTC. I am sick and tired of the way they treat customers in rural areas just because they are the only show in town!!!

Comments:

Review by coldmoon See Profile

• Location: Broadway,Lee,NC
Good "Tech support personnel are honest and do the best they can"
Bad "Reliably slow, grossly overpriced, heavily over-subscribed "
Overall "Total lack of competitive pressures leads to high prices with poor service"

Completely overpriced for the service they deliver. Network is over-subscribed to such a degree that watching simple YouTube videos comes with extreme buffering, making the service useless for anything other than checking e-mail and working on on-line forums that have no video content.and this is on a 3M account (highest they provide in my area).

If this is broadband, you might be better off using carrier pigeon...

If this provider is the only one available in an area you are thinking of moving to, look for your new home elsewhere; you will be thankful you did!

member for 12.9 years, 2337 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Cine

@windstream.net

Class action suit

Ok, so when is someone going to take up our cause? They sold me a bill of goods they can't deliver. They have a bad rep for selling in areas they don't have equipment to service properly. I can't even sit down with my iPad and do a Google search without having to wait, like in land line days. Forget Xbox or YouTube. Before you buy a house, make sure you have choices. Verizon, where are you when I need you? And where is our knight in shining armour lawyer. This is one that can be won!
GearheadX

join:2010-05-11
Hilliard, FL

Re: Class action suit

We can't file a class action lawsuit because of the terms of service we all signed. We can, on the other hand, contact the FCC and our local news outlets.

Poor Service

The problem with Windstream is that when they purchased the smaller telcos, they bought them (knowingly or not) with the infrastructure in poor or horrible shape. It costs quite a bit to replace long stretches of cable, or in some cases, they have inadequate circuits feeding their DSLAMS. When the DSLAMS are at their capacity, they can't (or won't) upgrade the circuits feeding the DSLAMS because that's also expensive. So they keep selling DSL in those areas until the DSLAM gets full. By that time, everyone on that DSLAM notices extremely slow speeds. Couple that with bad cable in the area, and the problem becomes worse. Windstream knows this, and they keep selling DSL in those areas, and they should know better. Windstream simply cannot afford to make even moderate repairs in those areas as Windstream's balance sheet is horrible. They are concentrated on paying down their massive debt, which is nearly crushing the company because they don't have the cash to make any capex.

However, getting the media involved really won't do any good, since all Windstream does is pay lip service to the media. Unless the media aggressively follows up on the problem in a particular area, Windstream simply waits until the attention dies down, and its back to business as usual. Depending on your location, contacting your state's Attorney General may prove fruitless too. Windstream usually contributes to most state AG's, so nothing gets done, as that state's AG may turn a blind eye to their practices.

If you think Windstream might be advertising their service and constantly fails to provide them, even moderately, may I suggest a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). They deal in false & deceptive advertising and can move against Windstream more aggressively. They have the power to make them either deliver proper services, or stop advertising services they can't deliver. The FTC can also file suit against Windstream (on behalf of customers) for failure to follow FTC orders. Since DSL is a de-regulated product, complaining to your state Public Service Commission, or like equivalent won't do any good. Complaining to the FCC probably won't do any good either, unless it involves problems with your telephone service. Even if Windstream tells the FTC "yeah, yeah, yeah, we'll work with our customers and deliver what we promise", except the FTC will aggressively follow up to make sure that they do and won't stop until they do one or the other. The FTC has more power that most federal agencies, except the EPA or IRS, possesses.

So, if you complain to the FTC, make sure you have a copy of what they're advertising, and proof of the service that you currently receive. If the FTC gets enough complaints, they will look into the matter.

nunyabiz

@windstream.net

windstream (shitstream) sucks!

If only, if only there was some computation; I would leave these folk so fast. . . I've endured the monopoly for 9long years, and it's never been anything but sucky. If I had to rate it with numbers, I would have to use large exponents! Fuck windstream!

Review by BoZee See Profile

• Location: Sweeny,Brazoria,TX
Good "Does not cap usage, claims to only throttle down speed for all users on heavy usage."
Bad "Speed is never at speed we're signed up for and often is ancient dial-up speed or lower."
Overall "Use any other Internet provider if at all possible. "

Windstream unpredictably will operate at dial-up speed or slower for weeks at a time, despite us paying for a 3-Mbps connection. I hate to think of the speed of those with regular connections. Any high bandwidth service such as video is unusable most of the time, despite us paying a premium monthly rate. Tech Support is courteous and tries to be helpful, but they are apparently not kept in the loop by the corporation or are told to lie.

Comments:

Disappointed

@98.20.38.x

Bad Service

They charge 93 a month lifetime for phone and Internet. How ever we have problems with both. I assume they drafted this company to handle rural areas to have some sort of service on occasion. They should be deducted for services not provided.

Review by IH8Sn0wFal See Profile

• Location: Broken Arrow,Tulsa,OK
Good "Unlimited COnnection, no restrictions, servers allowed"
Bad "SLOWWW, cuts out ALOT of the time. barely works during peak hours"
Overall "For anyone that ants to use the internet, your better off Getting another ISP/Cell phone"

Windstream is our only choice when we moved to a new house, the highest ackage we could get was a 3MB package, order and install took awhile, we used our OWN router and modem, since theirs is horrible..
UPDATE: 2-1-13: we have been upgraded to 6mbps, getting around 3-4 with 90ms ping.. still dropping every few hours..

UPDATE 12-30-13: we have been using our 6mbps package, and recently upgraded our router to an Asus router, now we are getting around a 45ms ping with an average of 4. download, and only about 1-3 drops a day, has gotten much better

UPDATE 9-9-14: After alot of complaining and trying all the options we have, have gotten upgraded to 12mbps bonded DSL, which peaks at around 10mbps, still has drops but is much better

- Jack

member for 2.9 years, 394 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
tonyNM

join:2014-01-05
Espanola, NM

Monopoly by windstream in rural areas

Congratulations, you must be in an area where windstream has competition
GPmax1

join:2014-01-19

Re: Monopoly by windstream in rural areas

Windstream has a monopoly in my area too.
HoTMeTaL
join:2010-02-12
Coweta, OK

I tire of Windstream's fraud as well

Here is a post of actual speeds from my SamKnows box monitoring their speeds from 9-22-2014 to the last test done today at 10am on 9-23-2014 charting download speed sustained - hourly

Review by linuxtom See Profile

• Location: Ashland,Boyd,KY
Good "Tier II support has tried to help"
Bad "Everything else"
Overall "Windstream Sucks!"

Years and years of sheer disgust with Windstream. Nothing but outage after outage after outage after outage. Speeds on my bonded 12mps line consistently below provisioned rate. If I had any other viable option at this point I'd switch to another provider today.

Comments:
totalradio

Not surprising

I recently (within the last couple of hours) had a "Comcast" moment with Windstream. For the past 2 weeks, my internet has gone down in the early evening for an extended period of time. Tonight, I've had enough, so I called to disconnect my DSL. Had to call 8 TIMES, having to navigate the useless phone tree and being disconnected several times. On the 7th time, I finally got a live, breathing person (at least I think they were breathing), so I asked why this is happening, and of course, got the usual response "we see there is a problem in your area". NO JOKE ! I ALREADY KNOW THAT ! So they were going to bump me up to Tier 2 support (I have a static IP), but for whatever reason, I got disconnected again (surprise, surprise). So, this time I call (the 8th time) and was going to disconnect my DSL service. A woman (very unfriendly) named "Nicole" (if that's her real name), began the conversation with the usual song & dance and told me "we see a problem in your area". DUH ! So I told her I wanted to disconnect, which she REFUSED and hung up on me also.

So tomorrow, I will be calling Windstream to de-excommunicate the hell out of that company's DSL. There is NO reason that I had to go through all of that, just to be hung up on TWICE and still no way to do what I wanted to do, until tomorrow. In my town, we do have a choice for internet, so I'll be calling them as soon as I kick Windstream to the curb. With what you spend on DSL, you'd think it would be more reliable than it is.

Sorry Windstream, you've lost a customer because of your incompetence and sheer bone-headedness, not to mention the attitude of your "customer service" folks.

Look out Media 3, I'm coming to call !

Re: Not surprising

Should have recorded the call trying to cancel service like that tech guy did with comcast a few weeks ago and made headline news all over the place. Windstream doesn't care what they look like if they're the only ones seeing it along with their customers because they know most of their customers are with them without any other options. Maybe putting them on full blast to countless media outlets and the internet they'll at least seem like they care a little.

Re: Not surprising

Tried that too. As I told the 8th caller that I was going to record the call, and her response, she hung up. Fortunately, I have the e-mail addresses of Jeffery Gardner and some of his key minions and they will be getting some attention from me in the next few days. I bear no malice to those in "customer service" (if you can call it that) because they're only a reflection of what management wants done...which isn't much more than lip service.

Review by mdbrozik See Profile

• Location: Fredericktown,Washington,PA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "12MB was something 5 years ago now not so much"
Bad "no speed increase for 5 years "
Overall "I'm No Longer Happy"

24 Jul 14. Still stuck with 12mb service five years later. Many days it doesn't test over 9mb. Upstream is less than1 mb. Atlantic Broadband has a 75x3 option for $45/month I've been looking at but I'm going to give Windstream one more chance to at least get me to 24mb.

UPDATE: 31 Aug 09. Got Ultimate service in May and am very happy. Connection is rock solid and uptime nears 100% as I use the WS line monitor svs offered in the WS forum here at dslreports and see results in my email each week. Now I want FTTH and 24MB service I see WS offering in some locations

UPDATE: 29 Mar 08 Windstream still only game in town. No upgrade to Ultimate 6M pkg yet. Can't complain; connection is usually rock solid. The speed sometimes fade in the Evenings or Weekends. I get 2.4m up .320m down during off peak periods. During heavy usage periods my up leg will fade to 1.5-1.8m. I would pay more for additional bandwidth and can only dream of fiber to the home.

UPDATE: Alltel sold to Windstream. Speed still OK but not great. Windstream refuses to upgrade to 6M speeds. I can't complain; It has rarely failed to work.

UPDATE: 27 Dec 04. Alltel Still OK Beats Direcway. Some DNS issues and modem power cycles required to fix occaisional slow connection. promo rate wore off now its $49/month. would like more upload speed, the 108 that i'm getting sucks.

I've been a direcway SRS customer for 11 months after using dial-up for 8 years. When Alltel announced DSL in my exchange, I said that I would ride out my d-way contract and make the switch. However, d-way has really been terrible as of late and I decided to jump early.

The initial sales staff couldn't find my address for a pre qual check. Told me to check back in a few days. On the third attempt about 10 days later, I was told that my line would work. The next day I got the speed stream 5200 VIA UPS RedLabel even though my service would not start for five days.

On my live date, all work well. I got a call from the installer at the co. I synch up and all has been well for the last week. Speed is advertised at 768 /128 and I've been averaging 615 /110. Direcway was faster but not consistant. I'd be downloading at 150K and drop to 30K back up to 110K back to 15K. Alltel DSL is a steady 80K download so far. Ping times range about 60-80ms. Service is dynamic IP but mine hasn't changed in a week despite modem resets when I was configuring my router.

Direcway was good at first too so I'm hoping for continuity of service with Alltel. I'll provide updates as I experience issues both good and bad.

Comments:

Review by gwm743 See Profile

• Location: Jasper,Pickens,GA
Good "service reliability while not good yet, has improved"
Bad "Dishonest practices regarding price for life plan; unreliable service; expensive for what you get"
Overall "only game in town except for satellite"

I have had Windstream at my mountain cabin for 3 1/2 years. Initially the price was reasonable but the service reliability was horrible. In early to mid 2011 I ordered static IP service from them $20/month for static IP was sort of expensive, but I needed it so I paid. The process of getting the service converted from dynamic IP to static was painfully slow to get provisioned and took multiple phone calls to people that had no clue what they were doing in order to get it completed.

In January 2012 I discontinued the static IP service as I no longer needed it and it was expensive. They informed me it was too much trouble to change my configuration but they would stop charging me for it but not to change my router configuration. I was fine with that. It worked find until 04/21/2014 when they deleted the static IP setup with no notice to me. If they had only emailed me I could have changed my router setup in advance to PPPoE dynamic so that it would have continued working. Since they didn't tell me I lost remote access and was without service for over a month since I was off-site and could not fix the configuration.

Now for my BIG complaint. In late 2013 Windstream called me to inform me that my area had a network upgrade and I now qualified for 12mbs service. They offered to upgrade me to the new speed for only $2 a month and at the same time lock my account on the "price for life" plan so that the rate could never increase. I accepted the offer. I had been paying about $53 a month at that time. The first bill after the upgrade came in at the expected $55 range. By March of 2014 by increasing the surcharges section of the bill they had added about another $1 to bill and I was paying $56/month. Not a big deal, but not a locked price. In May 2014 another $1 showed up and the new total was $57 a month... again, I noticed but did nothing as the increase was still small. In June 2014 the new bill came in and was $64.80. A nearly $10 increase from the "locked" rate I was promised when they "upgraded" my service. The latest increase was mainly by removing an offsetting credit against the federal subscriber line charge (SLC) that I had been receiving.

On June 12, 2014 I called and spoke with a CSR and explained all of the above. The CSR blamed the recent increase on the SLC claiming they had no control over the increase as that is a FCC fee. That is a flat out lie. I have done some research and while the FCC allows telcos to charge the SLC, it is not mandated by the FCC, and in fact telcos are free to absorb the SLC if they so choose. Bottom line is Windstream represented to me that my bill would be locked in with "price for life" and then has used "surcharges and fees" to increase my bill by nearly 20% in just 6 months. I am posting this review here, and also considering a complaint to the FTC

Comments:
gwm743

join:2014-06-14
Jasper, GA

Changes to situation

After doing some research and arming myself with information from the FTC, as well as information from Windstreams own web site, I called back on June 19, 2014 and asked for a supervisor. The CSR that took my call said she had to hear my issues before transferring me to a supervisor, so I gave her the whole story above. She started by giving me the same "company line" as the previous CSR did on 06/12. I made it clear that I was not going to accept that and that I knew the SLC was not required by the FCC and that it was Windstreams choice to start charging (stop issuing the line item credit) me that fee. I also pointed out that their own web site touts "Don't worry about your bill going up" on the price for life page. It makes no mention of the guarantee being only for the service line item. It says your "bill". She then agreed to issue a credit of $6.50 for the current month and then a $10/month credit going forward for the next 12 months. I found her to be quite helpful within the restrictions that her employer places on her. I will have to fight again in 12 months, but at least for now my bill will actually drop back to around what I was paying or maybe even a dollar less than what I was paying when I accepted their "price for life" offer.