Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by harphauler See Profile

• Location: Union,Cass,NE
Good "A basically solid connection"
Bad "Speed is horrible. Unusable for anything except email, basic web browsing."
Overall "I have few choices at the "unlimited download/upload" level - as soon as a new provider shows up - I will switch."

As this is a rural area and Windstream being the only game in town our situation is basically hopeless. The only good thing I can say is that we rarely have a dropped connection in the four plus years we've had Windstream. Although Windstream advertises a 10x1 connection in the area, no one that I know of seldom achieves more than 1 meg down on a good day. We have a 3x.7 connection and most of the time get .05 - .3 meg down (yes that's point zero five!) and .2 - .5 meg up. More often than not we have a faster upload speed than down and that's during low use periods, say 5 AM. I often connect via my cell phone just to do online banking. We would love to join the rest of the world with a decent broadband connection that isn't capped. At $64/month we feel the price is too high for the speed we receive vs. what we're paying for since it's hardly better than dial-up.

Comments:

UnhappyPappy

@71.31.48.x

Windstream Dialup Subscription Service

That's right! You can have blazing fast internet speeds so long as you're not a Windstream customer. With Windstream you'll pay for DSL and get dial up speeds. I kid you not.

You know, I realize that every company out there embellishes their performance data. That is a given. But, as of this date, I have found no worse liar than Windstream. Even the service guys hate them. They take so much crap from customers these days they don't hesitate to throw Windstream under the bus.

The most recent problem was a local router that was serving our end of the county. They overloaded the system with more customers than the router could handle. People complained. We hear you Windstream said, we'll fix it. It took over a year to get the router replaced (with a used piece of sh_t from Arkansas). With much fanfare they rolled it out then ran like hell. Within one week the "new" router was in the same shape as the old one.

I would tell anyone to avoid Windstream like the plague they are. Their CEO will eventually destroy the company and, in a telling move that is as providential as it is suspicious, recently stepped down to allow a ninth inning pitcher onto the mound for the loss. Ex CEO Gardner knows damned well what he's done and doesn't intend to hang around to take the heat when things head south. With all their acquisitions of late it won't be long before the "winners curse" steps in and knocks Windstream down to size. If history is any indicator once one of these acquisitions crap out, like they always do, the unraveling process will begin and that will be the end of Windstream. I would add that it cannot happen soon enough or to a more worthy ISP.

Windstream's story is the same old worn out ditty where an all smiles CEO concerns himself with nothing but share price. That's how he gets his bonuses. But, in the process of doing all the things he needs to do to elevate the share price he must ignore the underlying core business and focus on nothing but boosting share price and (I gag at this) value. It all looks pretty for awhile then one of the acquisitions that lied through their teeth to find someone willing to buy their dog suddenly falls under its own weight (never believe a company's financial statements).

Personally, I can't wait. I'm a stock trader who desperately needs a reliable high speed internet connection which, in all the time I've been with Windstream, they've never been able to provide. I intend to wait patiently, bide my time and when it hits the fan I'm going to short their stock down into Pink Sheet land. You poor saps who've invested in this dog better take a good look and be ready to divest yourselves in a moments notice. When it goes pop it'll all be over in about a week minus the crying. The crying starts once the bloodletting stops and all those folks who bought WIN as a long term investment realize that they now are holding a bag of stock they bought at $8 bucks that is now trading in the 50 cents a share range. Don't take my word for it. Look at what these clowns have done for the sake of stock holders at the expense of their customers.

Once in a while this works out but it won't this time and Gardner knows it that's why he's bailing out now. Windstream needing a new "fresh perspective" to lead it into the future is pure hot air. His heir apparent is another Windstream insider, Tony Thomas, former CFO of Windstream- so much for fresh perspective. 2015 looks to be the year of the long overdue stock market correction. A great time to cash in your stock options and head for the beach. I hope Thomas has nerves of steel. By the end of 2015 he'll need them.
jerminy11

join:2011-12-27
Texarkana, AR

Re: Windstream Dialup Subscription Service

Sucks for both of you. Windstream has upgraded my area 3 times in the last 5 years. I have the 24 down and 3 up service and I get 26 down and 3.5 up at all times

@71.28.236.x

Re: Windstream Dialup Subscription Service

I would guess that you live in or near a town. Am I right? You see, they play the 80/20 game. If they can keep 80% of their customers happy, screw the other 20% (I actually believe it's closer to 60/40). Upgrades around small cites and towns are cheaper to do and keep the 80% very happy. The 20% are held as a captive income stream because they monopolize the markets they go into as a rule. They service my county and everyone who uses the service in the nearest large town enjoys great service. But there they have at least three other competitors in the high speed market so rates are cheap because the infrastructure has been maintained by Comcast,a small local telecom, Dish- a bunch of competitors really. Out where I live they got a no bid contract to service the rural areas. Absolutely zilch in the way of improvements or upgrades.

They're a horrible company with horrible leadership and they screw the daylights out of those least able to fight back. The crap they're doing works for a little while but in the end it always catches up. Mark my words, this chump CEO who just stepped down knows what's coming and he doesn't intend to be standing at the helm when all hell breaks loose.

Re: Windstream Dialup Subscription Service

I was told for a year here in Blairsville Ga my area was going to be upgraded then was told sorry your area will not be upgraded and their is no more Stimulus Money.
.5 up three down max.
AckAck

join:2011-06-02

Re: Windstream Dialup Subscription Service

Stimulus money? WTF Windstream? There are other sources of money, you know.

@windstream.net

Re: Windstream Dialup Subscription Service

I don't know about stimulus money but that's a separate issue. Companies have to invest their own money to build infrastructure which is something Windbag sorely hates to do. That's why they sell stock. The reason is simple. All the upgrades they do to the existing infrastructure could be to the advantage of a competitor who waltzes in after the money is spent and begins to take market share away.

If Windbag was a truly innovative company able to compete this wouldn't bother them a bit. But, to look at it another way, would pave the way for a company who has the potential to knock your ass out of the ballpark? Like I said and will keep saying, Windstream is the dirtiest, lowest, crappiest ISP in the United States.

Blairsville, GA
Forgot to mention now my Google searches are being Hijacked and redirected through Windstream search!

mark40511

join:2004-10-12
Lexington, KY

I have 24/2 Bonded DSL in Lexington KY

and I have GREAT speeds all the time.....But I believe every word you're saying and I'm very sorry that you have no other options. I think in KY they have something called KY broadband initiative in the works - meaning they are running fiber "starting" in rural areas with cities being last (since cities already have decent broadband), and the goal is to ultimately have all of KY with fiber - at least, that's my understanding......It's desperately needed for each state's economy. Hopefully each state has something like this in the works.... These monopolies our killing our internet in this country, and the rural area's have it the worst.....

I still wonder - even small towns have powerful people and I often wonder to myself what they do for internet? Government officials , etc. They get online too. Windstream is all that's available to them as well.

Re: I have 24/2 Bonded DSL in Lexington KY

Government officials usually get special treatment!!

Review by bjordan See Profile

• Location: Winterville,Clarke,GA
Good "Tech support and tech dispatch are top-notch - Cannot ask for any better service or folks"
Bad "The cost for my service is outrageous "
(ratings well above consensus)

The services I have include a business line with ADSL and an EIA (Ethernet to internet access) of 3Mx3M. The cost was stated up front - nothing hidden in fine print. The sales process and special circuit install met the agreed time frame. The times I have had trouble - the telephone support and the on-site support have been very good.

CPE is a Hatters box with 4-ports - 3-ports with cards. I purchased a Zywall USG 20W router to manage the wired/wireless access. Main system use is Video Conf for training employees across the Globe - which is spotty at 2.7M during high traffic times - even with dedicated copper to my building from the CO.

Other than the speed of the service / speed versus cost of 10MB $800+/month is too high for my blood. At this time I do not have choices.

Comments:

Review by jtimleck See Profile

• Location: Baltimore,Baltimore City,MD
  • Telco party Cavalier
Good "Cheap, DSL vs. fiber means it's available to many "
Bad "Dropped connections, tech support at level 2 don't pay attention, treat you like you are stupid"
Overall "Get if on a budget and need VERY basic connectivity"

We got this as a bundle package with our telephone several years ago. It's worked pretty decent but when we transitioned from Cavalier PAETEC telephone over to Windstream, we have had problems. Our Max download speed dropped by more than half, and our upload speed went to a measly .3 Mb per second. We've also had consistent issues with DNS configurations on their end. Recent calls to the tech department for support, where we verified our telephone to reach us when there was a response, we're met with calls made to unknown numbers. So, when an issue was being resolved they weren't even calling our phone number. Even when we corrected this they still used some random number. I even verified this through the notes made into our ticket.worse however was the resolution or recent issues.

When working to resolve our inability to travel out there DNS server, I was told that "we can ping your device, and we can see all kinds of things connected to it!" so what? It was an inference like we had set up our network in a way that was preventing us from going through their DNS server! Rather, the issue was their DNS server wasn't working. So when they hard set our DNS to a new number, it still didn't work. Why? Because the also reset our permission to use the network but didn't tell us. So, without browser settings to block pop ups, we never got to welcome you to Windstream screen, and so couldn't get on the net! but because I didn't have her phone number right they weren't telling us they even fixed it. So I only discovered this when I randomly chose Firefox instead of Safari as my browser.so fix this, went to edit the The modem settings, wasn't happy with them so I reset the modem. Come to find out this reset the supposedly hard reset DNS settings, back to the ones that don't work! Ugh! how is this possible! And again anytime things have actually been corrected they've not called back (To be fair they did reach out once).

Overall the current experience and not having Internet for three days and this happened three times in the past two months, has us shopping around. It's not a bargain if it doesn't work. And the system is set up to be supposedly idiot proof but that prevents non-idiots from being able to adjust settings, to get correct responses from tech-support, and get the job fixed when is a problem. Consumers are idiots, and little one tech-support is fundamentally a dinosaur/a thing of the past ("Did you unplug your modem and restart it?" YES! and I pinged you gateway and had packet loss and your DNS servers aren't working etc...."Oh, well I don't know way thing about that - only the techs at the next level" = A WASTE OF MY TIME). Oh, and a modem isn't a router btw just so you all know.

So get it if you can tolerate spotty service and meager speeds. It is a bargain compared to many other providers. But it ain't no good if it don't work and it can't be fixed.

UPDATE Dec. 2, 2014

Three days later and STILL not resolved. DNS servers DO NOT work, Gateway and DNS server settings keep being dropped by modem, leaving it "blank". Unable to do ANYTHING. "Support" keeps asking me to "open tickets" - I do but the techs "fix them" by doing things like hard setting my modem (again) with the WRONG, UNWORKING, DNS Servers (again) leaving me to MANUALLY CORRECT their work (again). They are saying things like "We can see your modem, everything seems fine!" - its not about seeing the modem - it's about getting access through YOUR GATEWAY the OTHER DIRECTION that MATTERS dip..... I can ping my butt off to your gateway but I need to go THROUGH IT.

Baltimore is basically screwed because the city made a deal with Comcast in 2004 to be the major provider and prevented competition coming or developing infrastructure (and they didn't win the Google Fiber bid they had hoped for 4 years ago.) Now Comcast chargers $1000 more per year for cable internet than folks who live in Annapolis, 40 miles away, and get speeds ONE THIRD of those residents. Oh, and don't even think about FiOS - Verizon basically sees Baltimore as one big "hood" - not worthy of investing in and they are hobbled by the Comcast deal as well. Hell, you can't even get Verizon DSL. Even CLEARWIRE WiMax was bought by Sprint and they stopped selling that too. So, great, left with Windscream it seems...Unbelievable. 21st century on the rest of the planet but Amurika knows how to live like it's 1950.

SO yeah... basically had it at this point. It's 3:47 AM, I have a HUGE multi-million dollar grant review due to my boss and couldn't get it done this weekend because of this utterly ridiculous circus. Oh, and I requested some compensation since I'm paying almost $2/day for no service and it's been down more than a week this past month. Wanna know what I was told??? "OK... I'm making a note of that... Call back when it's resolved and we can check on that." WTF? What is there to discuss? F is for FAIL

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Comcast Time?

Looks like it's time to find another provider.. Windstream looks as bad as Centurynolink.

I think Concast is in the local area.

Also look into fixed wireless

»wispdirectory.com/index.php?opti ··· temid=53

Review by Aaronb See Profile

• Location: Santa Cruz,Santa Fe,NM
Good "Nothing "
Bad "Not enough room to list "
Overall "Absolutely ridiculous "

The most worthless expensive constantly dropping service you will ever have the pleasure of having i guarantee it.
Dropped about 8 time before i could finish this little review.
Constant drops 15 months an counting

Comments:

Brian MFn C

@67.140.151.x

9 hours to load 32 minutes worth of video

seriously you claim to provide high speed internet and I had dial up faster than this bullshit 9 f**kin hours to load 32 minutes of video if I had the gas I would drive to the call center and strangle every support technician the hell out.
jtimleck

join:2008-12-24
Baltimore, MD

Re: 9 hours to load 32 minutes worth of video

Best.Review.Ever. (a fellow sufferer)

Review by elektro21 See Profile

• Location: Saint Paris,Champaign,OH

inconsistent service, pings are all over the place, Service goes out randomly for over 24 hr periods

Comments:

Info

@207.87.177.x

Complaint form for FCC

If enough people fill an Internet complaint form out, maybe the FCC will look into them.

»consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en ··· hc/en-us
Aaronb

join:2012-07-26
Santa Cruz, NM

Re: Complaint form for FCC

that won't do anything the fcc is just as worthless as windstream

Review by Duo See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "It's not Dial-Up"
Bad "Shoddy infrastructure, don't get what you order, spam calls on your phone"
Overall "Look elsewhere"

So the Windstream website looks pretty promising...12mbps with unlimited incoming landline for $50. Thats $10 more than a 10mbps from Cable but you a phone, cool.

BUT WAIT! Even though it should be possible to check automatically before the order is finished if you can GET 12mpbs Windstream doesn't bother until you get an email "Ok we'll be out in 3 days, your activation fee is $50.....ohhhh and what you ordered you won't be getting."

Ok maybe I can live with 6mbps. Oops again, after connecting it was discovered that NOPE 3mbps was the best I could get at a stable connection. Now its no longer the economical option with or without the phoneline but hey I'm still stuck with all the fees of connecting might as well use up what I can.

Oh and the phone line itself, without giving away the number to anyone (because I wasn't gonna keep it after this fiasco) I still manage to get calls from people who want to annoy me, but can't be bothered to leave a message on the answering machine.
The amount of unwanted calls on my cellphone I've had for the same amount of time, Zero.

It rained today. The internet went up and down all day today.

All the customer service in the world doesn't matter if a company isn't willing or able to put in an infrastructure to support their service or give you what you order.

09/01/2010
Price went up, quality has been going down.

2/28/2011
Goodbye Windstream, it was a terrible year. Tons of hang-up calls on a phone I never used, slow speeds, no internet during the rain. I won't be looking back thats for sure.

11/15/2014
Came back to windstream a few months ago, seemed cheaper than Time Warner and the speeds were supposedly faster since I moved.
NOPE, tons of fees basically double the price of just the internet. Speed is 6mbps compared to the advertised 24mbps and it disconnects all the time.
I should have learned my lesson but didn't. Not to mention it took WEEKS for them to get a tech out to hook it up. Apparently they aren't hurting for money so they'll make you wait a few weeks.

Comments:

barb

@75.89.170.x

Service quality

If you want a service that freezes up, gives you two or more programs at a time, is exceptionally slow, a computer refuses to fix problems, ignores even a state complaint, then choose Windstream. It will live up to the worst service possible for an internet service. Don't expect to get anything for your money and then your set.

Info

@207.87.177.x

FCC complaint form

File a complaint with the FCC and flood them. Eventually they might get the idea.

»consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en ··· hc/en-us

budman

@172.242.33.x

Re: FCC complaint form

It's surprising what you can get from Windstream if you live in an Area where the service is either poor or non existent, out of range of the switch BUT happen to be related to the Governor of GA. Miracles happen, they really do, good speed, good service. h'mm alright for some

Review by LostInWoods See Profile

• Location: Baldwin,Banks,GA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Better than dialup"
Bad "Raising prices, declining service, and no other option."
Overall "I'd love to have an option to look at"

Update Nov 2014: The price keeps going up and the service is worsening. I've been lucky in that my area seems not to have enough demand to be terribly oversold the way Windstream like to do, but it does bog down at night sometimes, causing Netflix to pause and such. I can't get HD video on my poor bandwidth, but it usually works. It's irritating that they started charging me the 6.50 fee for long distance interconnect when I still have a Greenstreak line that doesn't support long distance. And the DSL rate has gone up 5 bucks. So I'm shelling out about $11 more now than two years ago for service that is degrading.

I see people on here complain about Windstream vs the local cable company. I'd love to have that problem.

Update Feb 2012: I don't recall exactly when it was last year, but after upgrading to 3 Mbits I found that the service would get very flaky, particularly after it rained. A service tech eventually re-provisioned my line to cut 20% of the downstream and 50% of the upstream bandwidth to get it more solid. And it is, but I'm still paying full price. Which is about to go up a *bunch*. With no competition, what's a monopoly to do except raise the price?

Update 1 Mar 2011: I upgraded to 3 Mbit service at the end of 2009 after WS upgraded the RT and removed a bridge tap from my line. It seems fine - I almost always get the test speeds I pay for. Once again I had to find out for myself that faster speeds were available.

My only negative comment is rather touchy-feely, and I'm not sure I should include it. I seem to have to reload web pages a LOT lately; this is a behavior that I didn't really notice at first, so I'd guess it started sometime in 2010. I really noted it when our new office at work began using WS business DSL and I started seeing the same thing there. It's as if some packets get lost in the network, though I've never put Wireshark on it to verify that. Sometimes I wonder whether all the mergers and upheaval at WS have caused their network to become less stable. Overall it's nothing I can put my finger on, nor really downgrade the overall service for.

Update 30 Nov 2006: Everything works fine, but I stirred the puddin' and have a bit of a billing mess. Windstream was advertising my tier of DSL for $25, so I called them up to have it applied. They would not just switch me to the new rate, but they did give me $120 + tax credit (one year's worth of the difference) that paid my phone/DSL bill for a couple of months. Shortly after that credit was used up, I got double-billed for DSL because there was confusion about the credit being applied. Then this month I got a bill where I was credited for the previous mistake, then apparently not billed for DSL at all. The next bill may just be an adventure!

At least the CSRs are nice and helpful and intelligible. I've always thought that Alltel/Windstream have very helpful folks on the phone, but I'm glad I've not had any real problems.

Original Review:

I happened to check my number for DSL availability after last checking in July. I was amazed to see that it was available. One star for pre-sales - why was I not informed that it was available? I've been on the list over two years! This is north Banks county, about 5 miles south of Baldwin, between US441 and GA105.

The order and ISP setup went great. I really enjoyed the fact that I could understand everyone I talked to at Alltel - no offshored support! That's something I would switch ISPs over. I also appreciated that the ISP CSR knew precisely what info I needed and did not treat me like an idiot.

The modem arrived right on time, and the service was turned on right on time as well. Setup was a snap, but I knew I didn't need help. I gave 3 stars for the Services since they don't offer 3 Mbit here, at least not yet. I'm probably too far from the RT anyway, but it's nice to have the option. Value for money is 4 stars because the service in this area is $5 more than they advertise on the website. $35 for 1536/384 dynamic IP, with the modem handling the PPPOE. I get about 1200/300, which is what I expected.

The Speedstream 4200 modem does not appear to support telnet or SNMP, so my desire to map SNR, attenuation, bytes moved, etc... using MRTG will have to go unrequited unless I learn something new. Not a big deal, but still...

Comments:

Review by oldiron64 See Profile

this company has to be the worst piece of crap that ever claimed to be a communications provider. Service is not much better than 2 cans and a string. If you have ANY other choices please use them.

Comments:

Review by ddavis1202 See Profile

• Location: Wellford,Spartanburg,SC
Good "Local Service Techs"
Bad "Horrible speed"
Overall "Only use if they are your last option"

I have had Windstream for a little over a year. I have never received the advertised speed I have been paying for. Sales sold me 6MB service when I moved into my home and when they finally came to install, they said I could only get 1MB server. Since I work in server administration, I accepted the 1MB service since I have nothing else available to me. However, on most days, I was lucky to get 200K down and 100K up. After numerous calls, over a period of a few months and many canned excuses from support, one of the reps said "You should be on our 6MB service, that will help your issue out". Although skeptical, I agreed and they had it provisioned within a couple of days. Well things worked great during not peak hours, but anytime after 3pm, the speed would die back down to around 200K DL speeds or lesss. So more calls with support and they dispatch a tech who finally tells me the area is oversubscribed and that support never should have even sold me 6MB and he dropped my service down to 3MB. In addition, the tech told me there was absolutely nothing else they could do to resolve my issue...that I was basically stuck with my poor service until they decide to upgrade the DSLAM.

I would bail so fast if I had the option....Charter cable is about 3/4 mile from my address...maybe one day they will expand their coverage area.

Comments:
kpatt2006

join:2012-08-14
Greensburg, KY

no competition, no hope

Oversubscribed areas with no competition, that's the Windstream way. I've been battling that since November 2011. Since they still have no competition here, they still haven't upgraded their equipment for us to actually hit 3 mbps. Everyday speeds of less than 0.60mbps. Now, they have permanetely dropped us to the 1 mbps and says 3 is no longer available. So now I'm seeing speeds around 0.25 or less downloads and constant disconnections because it isn't fast enough to even recognize that it's even connected to the internet. Windstream has told me each year that upgrades are planned/on the way, but it never happens. As of today, equipment upgrades are scheduled here for early 2015...yea, right.

Review by Black_Mage See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Decent price"
Bad "I dealt with a lot of outages and didn't always getting advertised speed"
Overall "Only choose Windstream if it's your only choice"

Update Nov 1 2014

I no longer have service with Windstream because I got tired of outages. In the 2 years of service, I had a total outage time of a little over a month. Totally unacceptable for someone who uses their Internet connection as much as me. I was willing to tolerate not always getting the advertised speed. Getting no service was a deal breaker. The only reason I give tech support 4 stars is because of the great support I received from this forum.

Comments:
SnakeDoctor

join:2013-07-22
King, NC

You were Lucky

I have good service in the past. In the last two years my service quality is sorry. I called the Attorney Generals office in N.C. to file a formal complaint. I suggest you do the same if you can not get your problems resolved. Calling the Utilities Commission here in NC will not get things resolved. Call the AG.

Black_Mage
iMage
join:2012-09-12
USA

Re: You were Lucky

Since Internet service is still considered a luxury, I don't know what the AG will be able to do.