Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by ajjakobb See Profile

• Location: Hazard,Perry,KY
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Good Download speeds"
Bad "ALWAYS DISCONNECTS FROM SERVER / SERVER ISSUES"
Overall "Windstream is crap. their CS is in India reading scripts."

May 10, 2008

The only reason I got windstream was it was the only DSL / Phone provider in my area. I got the 6.0 service and was told I could get the 12.0 Svc. Placed an order last week, still haven't heard anything. The techs brag about making 26.00 an hr but don't know how to connect phone lines. After the tech left, I had to open the phone box and do it myself. They provided some cheap modem that I wont use. I used to have AT&T in Florida so I kept my 2Wire modem. Overall experience sucks with windstream. If you have a choice, go with someone else.

July 17, 2008

Switched to Greenstreak DSL from Windstream. Because I called to switch, they cut off all my services for 1 week, then turned the phone back on with a different number and waited 5 more days to turn the DSL back on. There is something wrong with these people. And the packet loss and lag from windstream is horrible. I use VoIP and the line cuts out so much it's aggrivating! I subscribe to the 3000/384 and is getting actual speeds of 0988/132. Which really sucks. I mean it, if you have a chioce other than Windstream, please take the offer. I wish AT&T would buy out Windstream and fix everything. It would be so much better!

Comments:

Review by drjosh121 See Profile

• Location: Matthews,Union,NC
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "connection has stayed active most of the time"
Bad "IT dept knows nothing about the network because there in india"
Overall "terrible in my area only available speed is 1.5/512kbps"

speed is very low in the Matthews area............out of 5 calls to tech dept only one had knowledge enough to discern a line test on site needed to be run.................very unhappy with the service but locked in due to satellite for at least a year...............HELPPPPPPPPPPPP

Comments:

Review by evilghost See Profile

• Location: Springville,Saint Clair,AL
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Delivery of broadband to rural communities."
Bad "Congestion, insufficient bandwidth, and cyclical problems."
Overall "If it's an option it's likely your only option."

The network is prone to time of day high latency and insufficient bandwidth. DSLAMs and major network routes often appear congested (see attached example, a primary and ongoing example). The entire network at times is starved for sufficient bandwidth. Budget at least 3 hours once a month to working with support reporting network issues.

*American* second-level support is exceptional, they understand high level technical issues. The root issue is when a ticket is dispatched to the local technicians for service the local techs often simply close the ticket as resolved *without* sufficient investigation, refuse to contact you (if you leave a cell number with multiple notes in the ticket to contact that number they will *always* default to the home number), or flat out lie about contacting you and you reported the problem as resolved.

If Windstream is an option it's likely your only option for broadband. With the recent decision by Windstream executives to outsource Level 1 support to WiPro offseas in India you don't need to question what their motives are; profit seems to paramount with a stable responsive network taking a back seat.

I really can't rate much of what this company does as exceptional, they're mediocre in most of what they do, with the *exception* of American support (Level I and Level II).

Update: May 19, 2008

After bus-speed issues were addressed at the CO latency has improved substantially and I've not had to engage support for some time. Bandwidth appears to be sufficient.

Comments:

Review by sauk See Profile

• Location: Murrysville,Westmoreland,PA
Good "absolutely none"
Bad "unreliable connections, offshore worthless tech support"
Overall "use tin cans and string for a more reliable setup"

I've been an alltel/windstream dsl customer from the very first day that it was offered in my CO (about 8 years now). The early days with alltel were up and down, but after the first year, fairly reliable. First hop was annoyingly distant, clocking in at about 55 msec, but otherwise, throughput was ok. Once windstream took over, it has been continually moving downhill. Approximately once every two weeks, some type of intermittent outage will occur. Clearly upstream network issues - usually manifesting as no or inconsistent access to some sites, but not others. Occasionally, full blown outage from the CO.

Calls to their dsl helpdesk in India are awful. The hold time is often 5 minutes or more, and all I've ever gotten is that 'there is an outage in your area'. Never any detail, never an estimate or repair time. And having to sit through the freaking canned scripts is intolerable.

This is no way to run a company. As soon as I can get comcast installed, I will be dumping windstream for both local phone and dsl.

Do yourself a favor - avoid windstream.

Comments:

Review by rattman8 See Profile

• Location: Maysville,Banks,GA
Good "are there any to talk about"
Bad "phone svc is ok but the dsl and the support is not everything that thay say its cracked up to be"
Overall "this is a company thats needs a total overhaul"

a lot of things wrong with them support in india and its not even someone who knows what they are doing reading from a script i just got the new 6 meg dsl and i had to wait a week for them to get me going and i couldnt understand why i told them the line was bad but they didnt want to hear it and ran me around

clicks and pops on the line when its raining this is no att let me tell you

they have a long way to go and need to do it i wish a bigger fish would buy them

Comments:

Review by Dondoh See Profile

• Location: Winston Salem,Forsyth,NC
Good "No one threatened me with violence or death. Nice folks on the phone."
Bad "Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, was done right. Promises broken. No DSL."
Overall "Run away!"

I spent two weeks trying to get windstream to bring me DSL service. I am moving to a new home and they had terrific pricing. After making an order for DSL (during which they also gave me all sorts of long distance services I expressly told them NOT to give me..) I began the ordeal of trying to get Windstream to live up their promises. No soap. Service appointments missed. Unable to give me service when I am 2000 feet from a CO. Several modems shipped to me when one working modem would have been fine.

I would detail the whole process, but I have already wasted enough of my life on this. I called timewarner, and they were out the next day, on time, and I was up and running.

Never again, with Windstream.

Comments:

Review by sturm375 See Profile

• Location: Carlsbad,Eddy,NM
Good "It's there"
Bad "Slow, disconnects all the time, expensive"
Overall "Good if it's the only way"

I primarily wanted broadband was to play City of Heroes (an MMO). Windstream.net is much slower than my previous cable internet in Bakersfield, CA. The game can be played, but there are many disconnects, especially on Friday - Sunday (Prime time Internet for most poeple).

Other broadband possibilities when I ordered were Plateau.net. Plateau is a wireless solution. They have a tower near here, and I even tried them out. Their speeds are about 4x a 56k modem. Recently (since I ordered this DSL) the cable company has begun offering internet. I don't know what they are like.

I ordered the only Windstream package available. Theoritically it's 2.5 Mbp. I seldom see that except on their tests. Usually I get around 1.9 Mbp.

Ordering took a while, but other than the length of time I waited, it was mostly painless.

If you can help it, I'd go with another company. I'm in the boonies so I had little choice.

Comments:

Review by echinn109 See Profile

• Location: Brooksville,Bracken,KY

only option available, except dial-up. paying for 1.5Mb usual download 610Kb. difficulty talking to live person for support. Must reboot modem often.

• Location: Ashville,Chautauqua,NY
  • Telco party AllTel
Bad "undependable service. Does not operate at 3mb, as claimed. Most of the time, it's half that speed or quite a bit less."
Overall "Inconsistent. Get somebody else"

Connection goes up and down. Often, speed is about half of advertised 3 mb. Sometimes below 1 mb. This has happened many times and requires too much time on the part of the customer. Calls to tech support waste more time and tech support people speak poor English. Get another provider if possible. Also, if you use web-based e-mail, the Windstream site is rather primitive.

(review was emailed from domain yahoo.com)

Comments:

Review by rychen1 See Profile

• Location: High Springs,Alachua,FL
Good "it works!"
Bad "2 wks 3days to get a modem after being told time and again it's shipped and sent overnight to we have no record of one for you."
Overall "only option besides hughes net for my area."

2 wks 3days to get a modem after being told time and again it's shipped and sent overnight to we have no record of one for you????? WTF why would I have orderd service and want no modem to operate it DUH

member for 13.7 years, 1951 visits, last login: 1.3 years ago