Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by ashes00 See Profile

• Location: Jefferson,Jackson,GA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "The connection is usually stable"
Bad "Customer service does not exist for broadband customers"
Overall "its all i have in my area, so its what i get!"

i ordered greenstreak 6mb with tv,phone, broadband bundle. took10 days to get setup, recieved a siemens speedstream 4200 modem. Bill fluxuates between $65 - $107. CUstomer service is horrific. Only goo dnews i have is i should be getting the 12mb upgrade for ONLY $5 additional per month.

In short if you have another option do NOT use windstream.

Ashes00

Comments:

Review by gagypsy See Profile

• Location: Commerce,Jackson,GA
Good "Only one I could find locally; no competition readily available/ advertised."
Bad "No competition; Outrageous fees/charges for basic service; non helpful cust svc/tech support; DID NOT RECEIVE FEATURES ORDERED"
Overall "SUX!!!!!!!!! CALLING ABRAXIS NETWORKS TOMORROW"

I HAD NO OTHER OPTIONS THAT I COULD FIND IN THE AREA FOR DSL. HAVE SINCE COMPLETED SUBSTANTIAL SEARCHING, AND I AM CALLING A LOCAL (ATLANTA'S ABRAXIS NETWORK) PROVIDER TOMORROW, FOR MY RESIDENTIAL AREA IS AVAILABLE FOR SERVICES PER THEIR SITE. NO VOICE SERVICE, HOWEVER. I WILL FIND ANOTHER VOICE PROVIDER TOO. IT WAS 2 WKS BETWEEN ORDER AND INSTALLATION. FEES I WAS NOT TOLD ABOUT WERE ADDED ONTO MY FIRST BILL, THOUGH I QUERIED THE AMOUNT UPON INITIAL ORDER. I REQUESTED THE UNLIMITED LONG DISTANCE PLAN, AND WAS BILLED FOR 100 MINUTES LONG DISTANCE FOR $39.95, THEN $5 BLOCKS OF TIME OVER THAT 100 MINUTES; TOTAL TIME 659 MINUTES (BILLED FOR AN ADDITIONAL 600 MINUTES FOR AN ADDITIONAL LONG DISTANCE FEE OF $30). CUSTOMER SERVICE IS INADEQUATE, AS IS TECHNICAL SUPPORT. THE SERVICE CAN BE INTERMITTENT IN THE RURAL AREA I LIVE IN.

Comments:

Review by pennhunter0 See Profile

• Location: Linesville,Crawford,PA
Bad "Local tech support is horrible"
Overall "I wish I had another option"

Ordering was easy, I ordered 3 meg DSL and phone service. After a few days the tracking number they gave me was still not in the system. When I called they said someone forgot to ship the modem. Once I finally received the 4200 modem the internet worked well unless it rained. Over the winter the connection got worse and by spring it was down more than up. The first tech that came out knocked on the door and said he fixed the problem. A half hour later it was down again. The next tech terminated the line at the street and it worked for about two hours. The third tech replaced everything inside and said if the problem persists a splicer will have to come out because the problem is at the street somewhere. A half hour later I had no connection. I called India again and they determined my SNR was to low so the problem was at the central office or on the street somewhere and they gave me a window of two weeks for it to be repaired. They stated I would not have to be there for this tech visit. After two weeks I found a note on my door (no rain for the previous week) that the problem was inside and to check my filter. I've given up on Windstream ever getting my DSL working right. Some of their local tech people are very lazy and find any excuse to not do anything (third tech told me this). I hope another option becomes available.

Comments:

Review by Navirio See Profile

• Location: Elyria,Lorain,OH
Good "Good Speed low latency and etc"
Bad "bad costumer service disconnects alot"
Overall "nickel and dime you and will treat you very badly cookie cutter ahoy!"

hmm just bad for me while others report nothing but good reviews so hmm your choice

Comments:

Review by ajjakobb See Profile

• Location: Hazard,Perry,KY
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Good Download speeds"
Bad "ALWAYS DISCONNECTS FROM SERVER / SERVER ISSUES"
Overall "Windstream is crap. their CS is in India reading scripts."

May 10, 2008

The only reason I got windstream was it was the only DSL / Phone provider in my area. I got the 6.0 service and was told I could get the 12.0 Svc. Placed an order last week, still haven't heard anything. The techs brag about making 26.00 an hr but don't know how to connect phone lines. After the tech left, I had to open the phone box and do it myself. They provided some cheap modem that I wont use. I used to have AT&T in Florida so I kept my 2Wire modem. Overall experience sucks with windstream. If you have a choice, go with someone else.

July 17, 2008

Switched to Greenstreak DSL from Windstream. Because I called to switch, they cut off all my services for 1 week, then turned the phone back on with a different number and waited 5 more days to turn the DSL back on. There is something wrong with these people. And the packet loss and lag from windstream is horrible. I use VoIP and the line cuts out so much it's aggrivating! I subscribe to the 3000/384 and is getting actual speeds of 0988/132. Which really sucks. I mean it, if you have a chioce other than Windstream, please take the offer. I wish AT&T would buy out Windstream and fix everything. It would be so much better!

Comments:

Review by drjosh121 See Profile

• Location: Matthews,Union,NC
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "connection has stayed active most of the time"
Bad "IT dept knows nothing about the network because there in india"
Overall "terrible in my area only available speed is 1.5/512kbps"

speed is very low in the Matthews area............out of 5 calls to tech dept only one had knowledge enough to discern a line test on site needed to be run.................very unhappy with the service but locked in due to satellite for at least a year...............HELPPPPPPPPPPPP

member for 13 years, 1143 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by evilghost See Profile

• Location: Springville,Saint Clair,AL
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Delivery of broadband to rural communities."
Bad "Congestion, insufficient bandwidth, and cyclical problems."
Overall "If it's an option it's likely your only option."

The network is prone to time of day high latency and insufficient bandwidth. DSLAMs and major network routes often appear congested (see attached example, a primary and ongoing example). The entire network at times is starved for sufficient bandwidth. Budget at least 3 hours once a month to working with support reporting network issues.

*American* second-level support is exceptional, they understand high level technical issues. The root issue is when a ticket is dispatched to the local technicians for service the local techs often simply close the ticket as resolved *without* sufficient investigation, refuse to contact you (if you leave a cell number with multiple notes in the ticket to contact that number they will *always* default to the home number), or flat out lie about contacting you and you reported the problem as resolved.

If Windstream is an option it's likely your only option for broadband. With the recent decision by Windstream executives to outsource Level 1 support to WiPro offseas in India you don't need to question what their motives are; profit seems to paramount with a stable responsive network taking a back seat.

I really can't rate much of what this company does as exceptional, they're mediocre in most of what they do, with the *exception* of American support (Level I and Level II).

Update: May 19, 2008

After bus-speed issues were addressed at the CO latency has improved substantially and I've not had to engage support for some time. Bandwidth appears to be sufficient.

member for 11.1 years, 698 visits, last login: 6.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by sauk See Profile

• Location: Murrysville,Westmoreland,PA
Good "absolutely none"
Bad "unreliable connections, offshore worthless tech support"
Overall "use tin cans and string for a more reliable setup"

I've been an alltel/windstream dsl customer from the very first day that it was offered in my CO (about 8 years now). The early days with alltel were up and down, but after the first year, fairly reliable. First hop was annoyingly distant, clocking in at about 55 msec, but otherwise, throughput was ok. Once windstream took over, it has been continually moving downhill. Approximately once every two weeks, some type of intermittent outage will occur. Clearly upstream network issues - usually manifesting as no or inconsistent access to some sites, but not others. Occasionally, full blown outage from the CO.

Calls to their dsl helpdesk in India are awful. The hold time is often 5 minutes or more, and all I've ever gotten is that 'there is an outage in your area'. Never any detail, never an estimate or repair time. And having to sit through the freaking canned scripts is intolerable.

This is no way to run a company. As soon as I can get comcast installed, I will be dumping windstream for both local phone and dsl.

Do yourself a favor - avoid windstream.

Comments:

Review by rattman8 See Profile

• Location: Maysville,Banks,GA
Good "are there any to talk about"
Bad "phone svc is ok but the dsl and the support is not everything that thay say its cracked up to be"
Overall "this is a company thats needs a total overhaul"

a lot of things wrong with them support in india and its not even someone who knows what they are doing reading from a script i just got the new 6 meg dsl and i had to wait a week for them to get me going and i couldnt understand why i told them the line was bad but they didnt want to hear it and ran me around

clicks and pops on the line when its raining this is no att let me tell you

they have a long way to go and need to do it i wish a bigger fish would buy them

Comments:

Review by Dondoh See Profile

• Location: Winston Salem,Forsyth,NC
Good "No one threatened me with violence or death. Nice folks on the phone."
Bad "Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, was done right. Promises broken. No DSL."
Overall "Run away!"

I spent two weeks trying to get windstream to bring me DSL service. I am moving to a new home and they had terrific pricing. After making an order for DSL (during which they also gave me all sorts of long distance services I expressly told them NOT to give me..) I began the ordeal of trying to get Windstream to live up their promises. No soap. Service appointments missed. Unable to give me service when I am 2000 feet from a CO. Several modems shipped to me when one working modem would have been fine.

I would detail the whole process, but I have already wasted enough of my life on this. I called timewarner, and they were out the next day, on time, and I was up and running.

Never again, with Windstream.