Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by echinn109 See Profile

• Location: Brooksville,Bracken,KY

only option available, except dial-up. paying for 1.5Mb usual download 610Kb. difficulty talking to live person for support. Must reboot modem often.

• Location: Ashville,Chautauqua,NY
  • Telco party AllTel
Bad "undependable service. Does not operate at 3mb, as claimed. Most of the time, it's half that speed or quite a bit less."
Overall "Inconsistent. Get somebody else"

Connection goes up and down. Often, speed is about half of advertised 3 mb. Sometimes below 1 mb. This has happened many times and requires too much time on the part of the customer. Calls to tech support waste more time and tech support people speak poor English. Get another provider if possible. Also, if you use web-based e-mail, the Windstream site is rather primitive.

(review was emailed from domain yahoo.com)

Comments:

Review by rychen1 See Profile

• Location: High Springs,Alachua,FL
Good "it works!"
Bad "2 wks 3days to get a modem after being told time and again it's shipped and sent overnight to we have no record of one for you."
Overall "only option besides hughes net for my area."

2 wks 3days to get a modem after being told time and again it's shipped and sent overnight to we have no record of one for you????? WTF why would I have orderd service and want no modem to operate it DUH

member for 13.6 years, 1951 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by yesfan See Profile

• Location: Flemingsburg,Fleming,KY

Plan: 6000/384

last speed test 00077/324

best speed test 05800/326

performance very bad for the past several weeks and no email response from Windstream CS

thinking about filing complaint with Ky Atty General or PSC, maybe lawsuit: class action anyone?

very third world here

Comments:

Review by UGA Lover See Profile

• Location: Athens,Clarke,GA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "I now have the DSL Regional Manager's name so he responds to my problems if I call him direct."
Bad "Keep telling me my area is down. Found out from 3 Windstream techs that this is not true. It is the equipment."
Overall "Wish I had another DSL company and a choice around here."

I got Windstream DSL in November 2006. Everything was fine at first and then it went down in January 2007. Called and they said they would do a trouble ticket. No response in a week. Called again and they said that my area was down, but should be up some time soon. Couldn't give me a date when to expect this. Set me up for Windstream dialup which is horribly painful after having working DSL. Two more weeks pass. No response. Called again and they tell me my area is still down. Two more weeks, no response. Finally, my brother who works for Bellsouth, told me I needed to file a complaint with the PSC to get a response. I didn't want to do this, I'm not that type of person, but I was not getting a response in 5 weeks with no DSL. So I emailed a complaint to the PSC in the pm. First thing the next am, I got a call from the Regional DSL Manager who promptly sent a tech out. Viola! The problem was fixed. I was told by three techs that it is where my area lines are bundled that causes the problem and that Windstream wouldn't replace the part. I went down several times after that so I called the Regional Manager direct and he would send someone out to repair. Same problem, same fix. The problem is that they have a monopoly here. So all you can do is wait. And don't get me started on Windstream Cable. It is also the worst! Alltel wasn't great, but I never had these kinds of problems.

Comments:

Review by mpyrol See Profile

• Location: Rincon,Effingham,GA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Great at getting you hooked up and locked into your contract."
Bad "Read the Review"
Overall "Avoid"

Yes this is a negative but truthful review. I don’t care about the process to get the service or the equipment or the cost. I don’t care where the representatives are nice or rude. I don’t care about customer service at all. Having said this

I would love to say something positive about windstream dsl, but it's just not there. Before windstream took over a couple years ago Alltel DSL worked just fine. What I do care about is fast Internet, not blinding fast, just reliable. Facts are a dsl connection should be fast enough to watch streaming video from MSN,ESPN,or FOX. I still visit my favorite sites and am grateful for my 20-30k downloads. Downloads improve drastically during off peak times. Point is if you are in my area and have a normal schedule, A different ISP may be better for you.

So why do I stay with windstream? I was living in town and delighted with Alltel DSL. The service went sour once windstream took over; I keep the service for a while. Now I live about mile outside the cable providers’ area. Windstream dsl is no better but I am stuck if I want broadband.

member for 13.3 years, 110 visits, last login: 2.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by Windhorrible See Profile

• Location: Jefferson,Jackson,GA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "The modem looks good, this is it. Literally."
Bad "Everything."
Overall "Your better using a string and cups for internet"

Hello, I have created an account to hopefully steer customer's away from the time sink and money waste of Windstream. For the past 3-4 years I've unfortunately had alltel/windstream as my ISP provider, granted, when Alltel was the main company in charge, things wern't as bad, but ever since Windstream has taken over, it's been a waste since that day. Literally every night / day / morning / conceivable time now is a time viable for the internet to just freeze up, disconnect, or randomly spike to about 2000 ms. I am a gamer and this of course ruins the game and the experience, which is just about every game. Just recently has it gotten to the point where the spikes happen a good 10 minutes in between each other, disconnecting me each time from whatever game I'm on and usually forcing in a reconnect. A call was given to them reporting this behavior and they said it was our modem, a new one would be at our house in 2-3 days. Lo and behold the modem arrives, I plug it up, install and what not, complete it, and for about 20 minutes i think the problem has been solved! Woot!

WRONG! The same exact thing commenced happening, and has been going on all night now.

From the heart of a gamer and a formerly patient man, please steer clear of Windstream. It is absolutely not worth the frustration and hardship.

Oh, and be ready for tech support to say it's "On your part" if there is a problem with the servers, not once have they admitted to something being on their part, even when a few friends of mine a few houses down are having the same exact troubles.

Comments:

Review by jack23 See Profile

• Location: Port Matilda,Centre,PA
Good "The connection.......when it was on"
Bad "Sluggish tech support and terrible down time"
Overall "Better than dial up"

I had their broadband service for about 7 months and the service has went out about 40-45 times. The connection speed was generally good but the speed would go down to almost dial up speeds at times. The last time the service went out I didn't want to call India and my connection speeds were terrible at the time so I gave them the boot. I sighed up for comcast right after I cancelled my service.

Comments:

Review by Chopper50 See Profile

• Location: Hilliard,Nassau,FL
Good "NONE"
Bad "ALL BAD"
Overall "WINDSTREAM SUX REMOVE THIS POST MR. MODERATOR!"

DELETE THIS REVIEW

Comments:

Review by jumpman11372 See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "the variety they offer"
Bad "EVERYTHING"
Overall "they are terrible."

So last year, around jun-july(06), i got windstream excited that i will have a good connection (6mbps). When the modem is all setup and stuff, I am browsing the web. After a while my phone rings, and boom there goes my DSL. That was the first of MANY problems. I kept calling and calling. They sent about 8-9 technicians over to my house over the next 6 months to fix this. During that time, I had been receiving packet loss and I had been losing speed as well as random internet disconnections. They have been trying to fix this for a YEAR (STILL GOING ON) and after making me rewire much of my house, installing new phone jacks, and buying new filters for my satellite and alarm service, they tell me they are having bandwidth issues in sugarland-houston area.

What is it with them? i mean... i have the 6 mb service yet i never fully receive that download speed. I play games online and voice programs that i constantly get disconnected from. They have been trying to "rewire" sugarland for the past year. How long can it seriously take? I call customer service atleast once a week complaining and checking the status of the work going on. Every time it's always "NO ETA" or "please call back later". I pay money for this internet yet i never receive the service i should be getting. This has been going on for too long (1 1/2 year) and I think windstream is terrible.

BOTTOM LINE: DO NOT GET IT

any1 know when AT&T will be available in 77083 area? Or how to get them to come into my area?