Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by Dondoh See Profile

• Location: Winston Salem,Forsyth,NC
Good "No one threatened me with violence or death. Nice folks on the phone."
Bad "Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, was done right. Promises broken. No DSL."
Overall "Run away!"

I spent two weeks trying to get windstream to bring me DSL service. I am moving to a new home and they had terrific pricing. After making an order for DSL (during which they also gave me all sorts of long distance services I expressly told them NOT to give me..) I began the ordeal of trying to get Windstream to live up their promises. No soap. Service appointments missed. Unable to give me service when I am 2000 feet from a CO. Several modems shipped to me when one working modem would have been fine.

I would detail the whole process, but I have already wasted enough of my life on this. I called timewarner, and they were out the next day, on time, and I was up and running.

Never again, with Windstream.

Comments:

Review by sturm375 See Profile

• Location: Carlsbad,Eddy,NM
Good "It's there"
Bad "Slow, disconnects all the time, expensive"
Overall "Good if it's the only way"

I primarily wanted broadband was to play City of Heroes (an MMO). Windstream.net is much slower than my previous cable internet in Bakersfield, CA. The game can be played, but there are many disconnects, especially on Friday - Sunday (Prime time Internet for most poeple).

Other broadband possibilities when I ordered were Plateau.net. Plateau is a wireless solution. They have a tower near here, and I even tried them out. Their speeds are about 4x a 56k modem. Recently (since I ordered this DSL) the cable company has begun offering internet. I don't know what they are like.

I ordered the only Windstream package available. Theoritically it's 2.5 Mbp. I seldom see that except on their tests. Usually I get around 1.9 Mbp.

Ordering took a while, but other than the length of time I waited, it was mostly painless.

If you can help it, I'd go with another company. I'm in the boonies so I had little choice.

Comments:

Review by echinn109 See Profile

• Location: Brooksville,Bracken,KY

only option available, except dial-up. paying for 1.5Mb usual download 610Kb. difficulty talking to live person for support. Must reboot modem often.

• Location: Ashville,Chautauqua,NY
  • Telco party AllTel
Bad "undependable service. Does not operate at 3mb, as claimed. Most of the time, it's half that speed or quite a bit less."
Overall "Inconsistent. Get somebody else"

Connection goes up and down. Often, speed is about half of advertised 3 mb. Sometimes below 1 mb. This has happened many times and requires too much time on the part of the customer. Calls to tech support waste more time and tech support people speak poor English. Get another provider if possible. Also, if you use web-based e-mail, the Windstream site is rather primitive.

(review was emailed from domain yahoo.com)

Comments:

Review by rychen1 See Profile

• Location: High Springs,Alachua,FL
Good "it works!"
Bad "2 wks 3days to get a modem after being told time and again it's shipped and sent overnight to we have no record of one for you."
Overall "only option besides hughes net for my area."

2 wks 3days to get a modem after being told time and again it's shipped and sent overnight to we have no record of one for you????? WTF why would I have orderd service and want no modem to operate it DUH

member for 13.6 years, 1951 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by yesfan See Profile

• Location: Flemingsburg,Fleming,KY

Plan: 6000/384

last speed test 00077/324

best speed test 05800/326

performance very bad for the past several weeks and no email response from Windstream CS

thinking about filing complaint with Ky Atty General or PSC, maybe lawsuit: class action anyone?

very third world here

Comments:

Review by UGA Lover See Profile

• Location: Athens,Clarke,GA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "I now have the DSL Regional Manager's name so he responds to my problems if I call him direct."
Bad "Keep telling me my area is down. Found out from 3 Windstream techs that this is not true. It is the equipment."
Overall "Wish I had another DSL company and a choice around here."

I got Windstream DSL in November 2006. Everything was fine at first and then it went down in January 2007. Called and they said they would do a trouble ticket. No response in a week. Called again and they said that my area was down, but should be up some time soon. Couldn't give me a date when to expect this. Set me up for Windstream dialup which is horribly painful after having working DSL. Two more weeks pass. No response. Called again and they tell me my area is still down. Two more weeks, no response. Finally, my brother who works for Bellsouth, told me I needed to file a complaint with the PSC to get a response. I didn't want to do this, I'm not that type of person, but I was not getting a response in 5 weeks with no DSL. So I emailed a complaint to the PSC in the pm. First thing the next am, I got a call from the Regional DSL Manager who promptly sent a tech out. Viola! The problem was fixed. I was told by three techs that it is where my area lines are bundled that causes the problem and that Windstream wouldn't replace the part. I went down several times after that so I called the Regional Manager direct and he would send someone out to repair. Same problem, same fix. The problem is that they have a monopoly here. So all you can do is wait. And don't get me started on Windstream Cable. It is also the worst! Alltel wasn't great, but I never had these kinds of problems.

Comments:

Review by mpyrol See Profile

• Location: Rincon,Effingham,GA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Great at getting you hooked up and locked into your contract."
Bad "Read the Review"
Overall "Avoid"

Yes this is a negative but truthful review. I don’t care about the process to get the service or the equipment or the cost. I don’t care where the representatives are nice or rude. I don’t care about customer service at all. Having said this

I would love to say something positive about windstream dsl, but it's just not there. Before windstream took over a couple years ago Alltel DSL worked just fine. What I do care about is fast Internet, not blinding fast, just reliable. Facts are a dsl connection should be fast enough to watch streaming video from MSN,ESPN,or FOX. I still visit my favorite sites and am grateful for my 20-30k downloads. Downloads improve drastically during off peak times. Point is if you are in my area and have a normal schedule, A different ISP may be better for you.

So why do I stay with windstream? I was living in town and delighted with Alltel DSL. The service went sour once windstream took over; I keep the service for a while. Now I live about mile outside the cable providers’ area. Windstream dsl is no better but I am stuck if I want broadband.

member for 13.4 years, 110 visits, last login: 2.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by Windhorrible See Profile

• Location: Jefferson,Jackson,GA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "The modem looks good, this is it. Literally."
Bad "Everything."
Overall "Your better using a string and cups for internet"

Hello, I have created an account to hopefully steer customer's away from the time sink and money waste of Windstream. For the past 3-4 years I've unfortunately had alltel/windstream as my ISP provider, granted, when Alltel was the main company in charge, things wern't as bad, but ever since Windstream has taken over, it's been a waste since that day. Literally every night / day / morning / conceivable time now is a time viable for the internet to just freeze up, disconnect, or randomly spike to about 2000 ms. I am a gamer and this of course ruins the game and the experience, which is just about every game. Just recently has it gotten to the point where the spikes happen a good 10 minutes in between each other, disconnecting me each time from whatever game I'm on and usually forcing in a reconnect. A call was given to them reporting this behavior and they said it was our modem, a new one would be at our house in 2-3 days. Lo and behold the modem arrives, I plug it up, install and what not, complete it, and for about 20 minutes i think the problem has been solved! Woot!

WRONG! The same exact thing commenced happening, and has been going on all night now.

From the heart of a gamer and a formerly patient man, please steer clear of Windstream. It is absolutely not worth the frustration and hardship.

Oh, and be ready for tech support to say it's "On your part" if there is a problem with the servers, not once have they admitted to something being on their part, even when a few friends of mine a few houses down are having the same exact troubles.

Comments:

Review by jack23 See Profile

• Location: Port Matilda,Centre,PA
Good "The connection.......when it was on"
Bad "Sluggish tech support and terrible down time"
Overall "Better than dial up"

I had their broadband service for about 7 months and the service has went out about 40-45 times. The connection speed was generally good but the speed would go down to almost dial up speeds at times. The last time the service went out I didn't want to call India and my connection speeds were terrible at the time so I gave them the boot. I sighed up for comcast right after I cancelled my service.