Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by Jon1971 See Profile

• Location: Chatsworth,Murray,GA
Good "NONE!"
Bad "Customer service!"
Overall "They are the WORST company to ever have to deal with!"

Their tech support might as well have came straight out of some back water high school! Their supervisor Sidney ID N9931637 has as much of an idea on what is going on as the man on the moon! What a joke this company is! I've called them over 6 times in the last 10 days and all they keep telling me is that their is an outage in my area?? Every time I've called they tell me it will be fixed in 24 hours! Still not up and running!! What a joke!!

Comments:

Review by h8windstream See Profile

• Location: North Ridgeville,Lorain,OH
Good "Price is ok"
Bad "latency, speed, and tech support"
Overall "I'm stuck with them for almost two more years"

I was excited getting DSL 5 or 6 years ago. Alltel provided a good service. Since I have been switched to Windsteam it has been lousy. Latency problems each and every day. Speeds are all over the place. I use this computer to play online first person shooters so speed/latency are important. The tech support is at best the worst i've ever encountered. They are clueless. Conveniently there is never a problem when they check the line even though I am running speed tests as we are talking. There is no way to contact the local Windstream people. I must first contact India and then get a tech to look at whatever their problem is. In a nutshell Windsteam has been a complete failure to me.

This problem was finally fixed 3 weeks later. They were moving equipment and caused me a months worth of headaches.

4/4/09 Now I have no internet since Wednesday, the only plus was when calling support I talked to an American. They too were unable to do anything. It's Saturday and to write this I'm leeching someone elses internet since mine still does not work. It baffles me that this company is still in business. If my company did not provide service to our customers for 3 days we would be long out of business.

4/6/09 Another wonderful bout of talking to tech support and customer support. I was finally able to get out of them that a DSLAM is down. This is exactly the same problem they had last year. They were able to admit to me that they have no idea when I will be online with them again. I also found out that I have until Aug. 2011 before I can go to another internet provider.

The field tech simply noted that service is out in my area affecting around 1,000 people.

Comments:

Review by wardsystems See Profile

• Location: Fairfield,Freestone,TX
Good "Support back in US"
Bad "Connection drops frequently. Had to get local cable ISP as a backup."
Overall "Only DSL choice in the area. No real competition and it shows."

Windstream Business Account - The $65 (not including cost for 3 phone lines) is for 1.5M down and 384k up and 2 static IP addresses. This is as fast as we can get here. We had so many resets and so much down time that I purchased the local cable company's (Northland Cable Company) basic plan and installed a Linksys FVS124G dual WAN router. I think that we are the only business in town that does not suffer weekly connection losses.

1/1/08 - (Windstream Business Account) Tried my Teleblend VoIP line the other day and actually talked on it for 40 minutes with no issues. Maybe Windstream is cleaning up some things. The call quality was so poor that I had not been using the line.

3/22/08 - (Windstream Home Account) Moved to a new house about 2 miles closer to town. Scheduled the phone/DSL service change 1 week in advance. On the day of the service change all was turned off and transferred properly. Windstream tech showed up up at new home around 3:00pm and all was good.

3/31/08 - (Windstream Home Account) DSL went down Friday evening (3/28/08). Have good lights on the Speedstream 4200, but can't get it to log in. Called India and spoke to tech support. Did basic reset stuff and he said that they would have to check the line and that it should be fixed by Monday afternoon. Monday (3/31) at 5:00pm I called them back because it was still down. Turns out they had closed the ticket because it was "fixed". Not sure how they knew since they didn't call me to see if it was working or not. They "escalated" me to the next level (still in India) and told me that the line was good to my box and they would have someone out tomorrow between noon and 4:00pm. I took my modem and laptop outside and it doesn’t work out there either.

More to come........

Oh yeah, thanks Sashwa, this is dead on: »BOS Guidelines

4/1/08 - (Windstream Home Account) - Tech showed up around 9:00am. He did some stuff in the house and told my wife he had to leave to put us on the right "pin". He called back after changing the pin to verify it worked. All good. If this would have happened yesterday, things would be a lot better.

Once they get the job in our local tech's hands, life is usually good. It is from the time of the first call until the problem gets put in capable hands that causes problems for Windstream.

12/17/08 - OK, Support is back in the US, life is better.

I have spoke with them twice and they have been helpful. Today I upgraded to 3 MB service (residential account). I got disconnected during the changes so I called in. We tried the normal stuff and it did not work. Since I already had a tech coming out they updated the ticket and I waited for him. Never saw a tech but everything started working. Within 5 minute I got a call back from Windstream stating they saw data across my connection and asked me if all was OK. Very nice. I will upgrade my tech support rating now.

By the way, I nearly get 3MB downloads.

member for 8.8 years, 1479 visits, last login: 4.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by jlarem See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "Not much of a change since windtream bought out CTC"
Bad "a few more outages than we had with CTC and lousy customer service"
Overall "Still pretty much the same as prior to CTC merger but luckily I rarely need customer service"

Windstream bought CTC. I haven't noticed much of a change until a couple of recent outages. Tech support was terrible, clearly outsourced to India and really no help whatsoever.

Update: Things have gone steeply downhill with windstream. Outages and slow speeds are the norm now.

member for 13.3 years, 3170 visits, last login: 2.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by WSsucks See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "None"
Bad "DSL goes down and stays down for hours/days"
Overall "Avoid this ISP at all costs"

I never had a problem while CTC was the ISP. Then these jokers took over CTC. Now it is one terribly unreliable mess.

Comments:

Review by Soreal See Profile

• Location: Granville,Licking,OH
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Wouldn't Know"
Bad "Horrid Horrid Service"
Overall "Lie down in front of the truck if they try to come to your area"

This is the worst utility company that I have dealt with in my entire 52 year life.

After suffering through phone outages for three years (some lasting over a week), I have been bombarded this year with calls selling me broadband services - WHICH THEY CAN NOT PROVIDE AT MY LOCATION. Today was the last straw. After repeated sales calls, I succumbed and agreed to let them install broadband. I should have known better. I called a week ahead of the scheduled appointment to confirm that, indeed, it was available (a year ago they came out to install, then onsite realized that it wasn't available). Today, I stayed at home to ensure that someone was here to meet them. At 4 PM, I finally called them to ask about the installation and was told that they couldn't provide broadband at my home. "Didn't someone call you yesterday?" asked the woman at their call center. No. No one called. "Oh. They should have."

I'm less than 5 miles from a town with a university, less than 20 miles from a city with a met pop of over a mil, and supposedly less than a mile form the end of the broadband line. It's absurd.

Comments:

Review by ashes00 See Profile

• Location: Jefferson,Jackson,GA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "The connection is usually stable"
Bad "Customer service does not exist for broadband customers"
Overall "its all i have in my area, so its what i get!"

i ordered greenstreak 6mb with tv,phone, broadband bundle. took10 days to get setup, recieved a siemens speedstream 4200 modem. Bill fluxuates between $65 - $107. CUstomer service is horrific. Only goo dnews i have is i should be getting the 12mb upgrade for ONLY $5 additional per month.

In short if you have another option do NOT use windstream.

Ashes00

Comments:

Review by gagypsy See Profile

• Location: Commerce,Jackson,GA
Good "Only one I could find locally; no competition readily available/ advertised."
Bad "No competition; Outrageous fees/charges for basic service; non helpful cust svc/tech support; DID NOT RECEIVE FEATURES ORDERED"
Overall "SUX!!!!!!!!! CALLING ABRAXIS NETWORKS TOMORROW"

I HAD NO OTHER OPTIONS THAT I COULD FIND IN THE AREA FOR DSL. HAVE SINCE COMPLETED SUBSTANTIAL SEARCHING, AND I AM CALLING A LOCAL (ATLANTA'S ABRAXIS NETWORK) PROVIDER TOMORROW, FOR MY RESIDENTIAL AREA IS AVAILABLE FOR SERVICES PER THEIR SITE. NO VOICE SERVICE, HOWEVER. I WILL FIND ANOTHER VOICE PROVIDER TOO. IT WAS 2 WKS BETWEEN ORDER AND INSTALLATION. FEES I WAS NOT TOLD ABOUT WERE ADDED ONTO MY FIRST BILL, THOUGH I QUERIED THE AMOUNT UPON INITIAL ORDER. I REQUESTED THE UNLIMITED LONG DISTANCE PLAN, AND WAS BILLED FOR 100 MINUTES LONG DISTANCE FOR $39.95, THEN $5 BLOCKS OF TIME OVER THAT 100 MINUTES; TOTAL TIME 659 MINUTES (BILLED FOR AN ADDITIONAL 600 MINUTES FOR AN ADDITIONAL LONG DISTANCE FEE OF $30). CUSTOMER SERVICE IS INADEQUATE, AS IS TECHNICAL SUPPORT. THE SERVICE CAN BE INTERMITTENT IN THE RURAL AREA I LIVE IN.

Comments:

Review by pennhunter0 See Profile

• Location: Linesville,Crawford,PA
Bad "Local tech support is horrible"
Overall "I wish I had another option"

Ordering was easy, I ordered 3 meg DSL and phone service. After a few days the tracking number they gave me was still not in the system. When I called they said someone forgot to ship the modem. Once I finally received the 4200 modem the internet worked well unless it rained. Over the winter the connection got worse and by spring it was down more than up. The first tech that came out knocked on the door and said he fixed the problem. A half hour later it was down again. The next tech terminated the line at the street and it worked for about two hours. The third tech replaced everything inside and said if the problem persists a splicer will have to come out because the problem is at the street somewhere. A half hour later I had no connection. I called India again and they determined my SNR was to low so the problem was at the central office or on the street somewhere and they gave me a window of two weeks for it to be repaired. They stated I would not have to be there for this tech visit. After two weeks I found a note on my door (no rain for the previous week) that the problem was inside and to check my filter. I've given up on Windstream ever getting my DSL working right. Some of their local tech people are very lazy and find any excuse to not do anything (third tech told me this). I hope another option becomes available.

Comments:

Review by Navirio See Profile

• Location: Elyria,Lorain,OH
Good "Good Speed low latency and etc"
Bad "bad costumer service disconnects alot"
Overall "nickel and dime you and will treat you very badly cookie cutter ahoy!"

hmm just bad for me while others report nothing but good reviews so hmm your choice