Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by GregoryCJohn See Profile

• Location: Dawsonville,Dawson,GA
Good "Reasonably reliable"
Bad "Technically adequate. Hate working with them."
Overall "I'll keep putting up with them until I have another choice"

Technically the service itself is reasonably reliable - in the 18 months I've used them outages are surprising, not mundane. Tech support has been adequate. The speed tier (1.5M/256k) tests out around 800kbps. One higher tier is availble here, 768/768 SDSL for $99/mo + voice & junk fees.

The business side of things leaves a lot to be desired - I get the feeling that these guys are old-skool telco people who do things like DSL, web sites, etc. because they need to be able to point at thems and say "see, we have one of those" instead of using them to enhance their relationship with customers.

When I signed up there was no transparency - DSL tiers and pricing was read over the phone and no written information was available by mail, fax, or web. (I asked)

Just verified speed tier and static IP. Friendly folks. Level 1 customer service rep (CSR) was able to address my tiering question adequately, and transferred me to the Business department for my Static IP (SIP) question. Business CSR was friendly, but immediately stated SIP was handled by Marketing. Business then attempted to contact the Marketing CSR responsibe for Static IP for transfer, but was unable to do so. Business then requested phone number for a call-back. Since SIP had been handled in a mundane manner so far, I suggested that the call-back message to Marketing CSR also tell them to just enable it on this account. Business CSR asked if I knew cost. I requested a rate sheet or general ballpark of costs. CSR dug around for a second and came back with $80 per month . I asked if that was a total monthly cost, or an additional cost for the static IP. She stated it was an $80 per month increase on top of the existing charges. I thanked her and renewed my resolve to never, never, never live outside an urban area again.

They refuse to unbundle voice service, so I include that as part of the DSL cost. ( Cell already gets almost all my voice traffic, why would I want a voice service I can't even walk out the door with?)

Comments:

Review by OutOfKilter See Profile

• Location: Irvine,Estill,KY
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Consistent speeds, near 100% uptime and good USENET service."
Bad "Comparably slow speed."
Overall "Best of limited choices in my rural area."

Ditched $49.95 512/128 local cable co. connection for 768/128 Alltel DSL in Oct. 2003. Received the self install package seven days from order date. Account was provisioned three days later.

Download speed was increased to 1536 approx. six months later. Upload speed was increased to 384 in Sep. 2004. Also received invitation to extend the "introductory pricing" of 34.95 per/month for another year, in Sep. 2004.

The Speedstream 5200 modem has worked flawlessly and the Alltel provided firmware upgrade which enables it to work as a router was a plus even though I only use it as a bridge to a Linksys router.

Likewise, allowing the router to handle PPoE has eliminated the annoying Tango Manager software.

Speed increases into the the range of 2048/768 and webspace closer to 50MB would garner Alltel an unequivocal recommendation from me.

As is, I recommend them with the caveat of there may be faster options available in your area.

member for 13.4 years, 2926 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by larrykay See Profile

• Location: Ford City,Armstrong,PA

member for 14.1 years, 1190 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by cj22009 See Profile

• Location: Auburn,Barrow,GA
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Was the only broad band at the time"
Bad "They charge to much for what you get and its not reliable"
Overall "Dont use alltel in Winder or Auburn Ga"

First of all, I used to have Bellsouth for DSL. It was a big downgrade to alltel when I moved. I'm paying same price for 768dn/128up, as I was for 1.5dn/256up, plus Bellsouth was super reliable service. It went down once the whole two years I had it. Alltel goes down at least twice a week, and I have problems with the speed. I use dial up three or four times a week, because its faster than the DSL. When I call tech support it usually is fixed and super fast for a day or two, then its back to the same story. I don't even call tech support anymore. (By the way there phone service is just as bad when I first moved in.) - I had a problem after my DSL was installed, and my phone would just go dead for no reason. I do phone and data work for a living, and when I called them out, they said it was inside wiring. I said, "Ok." I replaced every wire in my house, and it did the same thing. So I went to the NID, unhooked all my inside wiring, then toned my buried cable back to their post. I then unhooked my buried cable, and still no dial tone. I called customer service, and informed them of what I had done. They promptly put me on the phone with the local supervisor, and I told him what I did. He sent out a tech, and come to find out it was a bad card in the slick. Needless to say its the same story with their dsl. Slow and unreliable.

member for 10.6 years, 158 visits, last login: 10.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by poopiepants See Profile

• Location: King,Stokes,NC
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Fast speeds. Stable connection."
Bad "Too expensive, Tech support is horrid. News server is bad (no support)"
Overall "768/128 for $35 to 1500/256 for $109 is ridiculous. Alltel only broadband ISP you can get in this city.."

Alltel is ok, but really need to adjust their pricing plans, 1500/256 tier is $109. Prices is a blatant ripoff considering that the next town Pinnacle has Sprint Broadband which charges only $60 for the same speeds. Citizens of King are stuck with Alltel until Adelphia decides roll out fiber. Very satisfied so far with connection speed and stability, I hope it continues to stay that way.

member for 10.8 years, 992 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dburn See Profile

• Location: Monroe,Walton,GA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "None"
Bad "They turned off my working line becaUse 'It doesn't work at your house'"
Overall "Horrible"

Alltel told me that I qualified for service, and after about a three week wait, it was finally turned on. I was happily using it for another three weeks, when it stopped working. I called Technical Support, and they informed me that they turned it off because I was too far away from the switch for it to work. It took me about an hour to convince them that it was working, and then they said 'Well...even if it did work, you wouldn't be happy with it'. I never could get them to turn it back on, because they didn't want to deal with the 'High number of support calls that would be made that far from the switch'.

They told me they would send me a postage-paid bag to send my modem back in. After no refund for two weeks, I called to complain. They said they hadn't received the modem, and I informed them that I haven't received a bag. They said they would send another bag to me, and yesterday I received ANOTHER MODEM (As well as another 99.95 fee on my account). Now they claim they are sending me two bags, but I'm guessing I'm going to receive 2 more modems. Watch for them on ebay.

I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM.

member for 10.9 years, 12 visits, last login: 10.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by tbrauch See Profile

• Location: Winston Salem,Forsyth,NC
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Sometimes I can even access the internet."
Bad "34 days to install inconsistent service."
Overall "If you have a choice, make a different one."

It took 3 phones calls and 34 days to finally get DSL at my apartment. No equipment or location problems, I guess they just lost my order, twice. When I finally got it installed, I lose my connection every time it rains, which it has done a lot in the last 10 months. Even when it is clear and sunny outside, I get disconnected at random. Sometimes I can stay connected for a week, sometimes for a few hours. (I know subscribe to monitoring service at dslreports, maybe someone will believe me) Usually, after being disconnected, it takes me 5 minutes to reconnect, but often enough, it takes 20 minutes or longer. I have had techs out to check my lines on a couple different occasions, all the time while it was sunny. They don't find a problem. Yet, when it rains I lose my connection and call to complain. Yep, the person I'm talking to can't get a DSL signal on my line so they'll send someone out to look at it the next day. Of course, it works by that time. I've give up calling them every other day when it goes out for a few hours because of the rain. I know they can't/won't do anything about it.

Sure, I'll admit it was pretty easy to set up. Well, it took awhile because it was raining when I tried to set it up the first time so I didn't have a DSL signal. But once it quit raining, it didn't take anything. Well, the software that came with it isn't so good. It could have been better written and have allowed you to skip some of the rediculous cartoons (I write software occasionally for a living and I know a little something about computers). I actually had to uninstall the software they gave me because it kept crashing my computer, everytime I got randomly disconnected my computer would freeze. Not to mention PPPoE is a horrible standard to use in the first place. I mean, sure it makes it nice and easy on the server side, but on the user side, it bogs down computers and wastes CPU cycles. It is also hard to configure and maintain for the user. But hey, the server and the company running the server, their job is easy and that's all that matters, right?

Oh, and the modem I got, the SpeedStream 5200, be careful with it. I've got a digital thermometer that measures up to 120ºF. Often times, the modem runs hotter than that and the thermometer registers error. Once when I was moving it, it was so hot, it was quite uncomfortable to handle. There is no fan in the modem, or at least mine is so quiet I don't think there is one in there.

Comments:

Review by sixtires58 See Profile

• Location: Brooks,Bullitt,KY
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Easy installation & setup, was turned up when they said it would be."
Bad "Has not worked since February 8th 2003, currently going into month 2"
Overall "Support is terrible, they say they fix the problem, then close the ticket--HAH!"

My saga began back in mid-January when I finally discovered Alltel DSL was available at my home. I signed up and in about 3 days, received a package in the mail with the modem, cables and installation CD. The installation went perfectly and I was online in about 30 minutes. Decent speeds too. I was getting around 610/104 (I signed up for tier one). Dynamic IP address, but that was okay. I'm running an older Pentium 366 with a 3com 3c509 nic into a Speedstream router.

Then, on Saturday, February 8th, my phones mysteriously went out. I called Alltel and they said it was a service-wide outage that had affected several hundred customers and that "parts" had been ordered. At that moment, the DSL still worked. It died around 2 hours later. Now I'm completely cut off.

On Monday, February 10th, the phones came back on. When I tried the DSL, it was terrible. Email would not send. I could no longer dial into my VPN at the office. I ran some ping tests and found that my line failed due to more pings received, than sent! (1990% back). This was typical no matter when the tests were run. Also, my speeds dropped to around 200/15. Nearly unusable. It works for surfing the net, but that's about it.

I contacted Alltel DSL support. They accused me of changing something in my house--no matter the problem didn't happen until the phones went out and they "fixed" something. They had me switch computers, cables, unplug all the phones, blah blah blah. Finally, I found a supervisor who said that they had found a bad shelf in the DSLAM and it would be replaced. Bear in mind, this has been going on for over two months. I'll call, they engineers would do some little thing on their end, declare it fixed, then close the ticket. Then, it would be up to me to call back and complain again. Supposedly, they fixed the DSLAM problem, then called to announce, once again, the problem is fixed and they have closed the ticket. Well, it's not fixed. When I called support again, the technician couldn't believe it, but said that they had moved me to a tier 2 port on the DSLAM to maybe try and get me some more speed. But, they've not fixed any problem to date.

I'm extremely frustrated. At this date (3-21-03), it's still not fixed. Plus, because of the DSL noise on the line, my dialup modem barely works anymore. So now I can't FTP or VPN.

If it weren't for the fact that when I first got the service, it was very good, I'd cancel this contract.

Here are the results of ONE of my tests:

»/quality/nil/1003793

• Location: Madison,Lake,OH
  • Telco party AllTel

In this report, I will lay out in a factual manner, what a tremendously
horrendous experience I've had with AllTel DSL. I hope that this
report will influence any potential subscribers.

Starting at the beginning of Sept. 2002, I originally called AllTel DSL
to set up an account. I gave them all relevant information, and asked
them how long it would take to set up. I was told "10 days to 2 weeks".
That being said, I went ahead and informed my current ISP that I would
be ending my 6 1/2 year relationship with them at the end of the month.
After 10 days went by, and having heard nothing, I contacted AllTel
again. I was told that I should wait 10 WORKING days, and call back
again. After the prescribed time, I again called. I was assured that
"sometimes these things just take a bit more time, and that I shouldn't
worry. Why don't you wait the full 2 weeks and call back again if you've
not heard from us." Well, after the full 2 weeks passed, and having
heard nothing, I called and asked to speak to a supervisor, as I was
tired of getting the run-around. The supervisor gave me some grave
news. She saw that I'd called to set up the account, but said that the
original CSR had not gotten all the necessary information, and thus
my local AllTel DSL dept. couldn't proceed with my installation. To add
insult to injury, they had my first name totally incorrect ... it wasn't
even close. She told me that she would personally correct these
oversights, and get my installation completed by the end of the month.
In short, it didn't happen. I had to use ALLTEL's Dial-up (56K) for
what was supposed to be 3 or 4 days. Finally, the day came when my
DSL connection was to be activated. I came home from work, and tried
to connect. It was NOT working. I called AllTel's DSL support and got
some gal who's sum of IT training appeared to be whatever she could
read off a sheet of paper in front of her. She actually had me delete
my entire network settings (fortunately, I was able to restore all
settings by going back to a previously saved registry). The problem
turned out to be with my local Central Office. So, I had to wait
another day. The next day, the DSL connection finally worked.

HOWEVER, the way that AllTel has you "logon" is with a "Tango PPPoE
logon manager". This crappy software turned out to be terrible.
It interfered with any other piece of software I would run, whether it
was an APP., like WORD, or (worse) a game, like Quake. The Tango Mgr.
would cause the system to 'blink' every 45 seconds, during which time
I had no control over whatever I was using. Ever tried to play Quake
or Links Golf and have the system FREEZE every 45 seconds? Can't really
play now, can you. Well, I called Alltel Tech support, and explained
the problem. After talking to several "tier one" level trainees, I asked
for a supervisor and finally got someone who understood the problem. Their
solution was for me to download a very old connection manager called
Enternet 300. This stopped the freezes, but had problems of its own.
I finally solved the problem by installing a Linksys Router, which has
its own PPPoE manager built in. My other systems, which run Windows
XP did not have the problem, since XP has its own PPPoE manager.

The next thing I discovered was that AllTel's Newsgroup server has a
MISERABLE completion and retention rate. My former ISP used
SuperNews (Remarq) as its newsgroup server. I don't know who AllTel
uses, but its about as bad as it gets. I sent emails to their
customer support. Again, it took several emails before I finally got
through to someone who actually understood the problem. I even sent
them "screen captures", showing an example of the files available,
and the files completed in a typical "binary" newsgroup. In the same
group, and on the same day, the AllTel group showed about 30 files
(mp3s), and NONE of them were complete, so NONE could be downloaded.
(I use Forte's Agent, one of the best newsgroup clients available).
I also sent them a capture from another newsgroup server, one I have
to PAY for monthly, in order to get complete posts. For the same
newsgroup, there were 3000 files, and ALL of them were complete!
When I pointed this out to this "knowledgeable" AllTel customer support
person, they said that they would contact their Newsgroup provider
and see what could be done. That was over 2 months ago! You'd think
that they could figure out that their server was just no good. Nope!
They probably just hoped that by sloughing me off, I'd go away and
forget about their lousy service. To this day, when I TRY to use the
AllTel newsgroups, I always find the same thing: most of the posts
are missing, and in the case of binaries (like music, pictures, etc.)
NOTHING is downloadable, because parts are missing. As I said, their
COMPLETION and RETENTION rates are the pits!

I cannot recommend AllTel DSL. The speed is about 1/3 of what a friend
of mine gets on cable. The Customer Support is a joke, since no one
there seems to be very knowledgeable. On top of everything else, I was
supposed to get "Free installation, and Free modem, and 1st 2 months of
service Free". Guess what? My first bill was for over $300 ! They
charged me for everything! I had to get on the phone and spend several
days before I finally got through to a supervisor who could address
the problem.

AllTel DSL ... ONE HUGE NIGHTMARE! And I'm stuck with it for a year!
Don't make the same mistake!

Bill

(review was emailed from domain alltel.net)

Comments:

Review by blessed_1 See Profile

• Location: Indian Trail,Union,NC
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "customer service was friendly"
Bad "sloppy order process"
Overall "need more knowledge of service"

I just moved to the Indial Trail area and was looking into ADSL options.Since Alltel was the only dsl provider in my area I chose them...the phone number that they had given first when I had moved had a "Problem with it"so the dsl order I had placed initially got screwed up somehow then I placed a second order and because the first order was screwed up the second order got delayed and then never acknowledged..so then I placed a third order and was told that it was going to be rushed through and my line be tested...So today which is Wednesday which I was told to call back and see if my line qualifies which now of course it does not so I am temporarily stuck in the dialup realm...Alltel thank you for the three week wait and failure to produce results...I am a 5ESS switch analyst the company I work for which I will not mention has a lot better turnaround time and better knowledge in terms of availability than you do..And do not tell a customer that his line prequalifies when it really does not almost all providers are guilty of this...

member for 11.4 years, 42 visits, last login: 11.1 years ago