Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by Nihilistics See Profile

• Location: Twinsburg,Summit,OH
Good "Free modem."
Bad "Contract, Inept customer-service, HORRIBLE service, and INEPT CUSTOMER SERVICE."
Overall "If you have any other possibility of getting broadband from another carrier do it."

Moved into my new apartment Nov 25, 2006. Connected to the modem and got online only to be utterly disappointed. It is now Dec 6, 2006 and my service is pathetic. Every time I run any bandwidth test I get roughly 10-15% QoS. I've called tech support 8 times and today a technician came out to check the box. Videogame latency is so horrible I can't even play WoW. Download rates vary from 40kbps-140kbps. The only thing consistently high is my upload speed but a lot of good that does me.

The scoop: I originally tried connecting the modem to the wall-drop with no filter. (I don't use landlines I use vonage) Modem > Router > PC. For the sake of troubleshooting I then tried Modem > PC, and still had no luck. Then I tried Modem > Router (bridged mode) > PC, and had no improvement. Keep in mind that it has been taking me 15-30 minutes for my modem to even connect to the network. The modem Log had hundreds of entries of Initializing... Waiting... Initializing... Waiting... etc. Overall, I spent about 6 hours ENSURING that there was nothing wrong on my end. The signal strength to the modem is over 30 and my router made no difference.

Of course, each time I call tech support the flip-card reps had me constantly do the same thing over and over for the past week despite me telling them I'd tried it all. Pinging for packet loss, netstat to make sure spyware wasn't stealing my bandwidth, firewall settings, and the kitchen-sink. Every time I was on the phone with them my bandwidth tests were horrible and finally a trouble-call was put in on my system. The tech came today and everything was fine on my end and at the street.

Today, I call them to find out the results because my internet still sucks. After talking to the worst tech-support person yet I insist on speaking to a tier 2 rep. and not even 15 seconds after being on the phone with me he informs me my area has a severe hardware failure. He says it was reported on the 29th even though I'd been calling since the 25th. So, Windstream is waiting on a vendor to supply them with replacement parts and he was sure that this was why my connection sucked.

Conclusion: WHY would someone not know this and tell me this in the first place? WHY would a company waste their resources and send a tech to my house when this major problem existed. Windstream.net has no information on regional problems so there certainly isn't any ETA on a solution. It has been 2 weeks and a MAJOR communications company hasn't fixed a serious problem. They won't credit my account and aside from having an almost useless service, I have wasted over an entire day of my free-time on attempting to fix this problem. I'm forced to use this pathetic excuse of an ISP since there is nothing else in my area but, the minute cable becomes available I'm giving windstream the middle-finger.

-Adam

Comments:

Review by XcceLL See Profile

• Location: Jefferson,Jackson,GA
Good "Its better then dial up!"
Bad "Still not getting the speeds I saw with Alltel."
Overall "Find a different provider."

I have been with Alltel since 2004. The service was good with some blips but the customer service was very helpful. Now that Alltel has handed the broadband service to Windstream every thing has been a big headache.

I have the 3/386 package for $39.99/month. I didn't have any problems with install and the order process with Alltel was easy.

I have a Speed Stream 5200 modem, PPPoE.

Get a different provider if you can.

Comments:

Review by WWWZZZ See Profile

• Location: Marcellus,Onondaga,NY
Good "Price"
Bad "Never got working service in 2 months."
Overall "Cancelled service."

Cancelled service. Never got service as fast as dialup. Windstream employees repeatedly claimed to have fixed the service. Waiting to find out if they will bill me for 12 month contract.

Comments:

Review by andyu See Profile

• Location: Sugar Land,Fort Bend,TX
Good "None"
Bad "Nowhere near rated speeds, non-responsive support"
Overall "Avoid"

Windstream (nee Alltel) claims that nothing has changed since the buy-out/merger/name-change. One thing has. For the last 2-3 months, my speeds on a "premium" circuit have gone into the toilet. I should get 3mb down and 768k up. On average, I get 600k up (not too bad, but should be better). My download speeds have rarely exceeded 700k, and often are no more than _80k_ for long periods of time.

They claim to have no records of many of my calls, they had me spend $200 running a new line inside the house, they close tickets without responding, the even deny that a tech came to the premises (I escorted him to the d-mark and modem personally, and it was he that suggested running new interior cabling, but Windstream has NO RECORD that that ever happened).

One tech told me that my circuit had been moved to a different router at about the same time I started having the problem. Others deny that.

Today a tech "rebuilt" my circuit. I'm pleased to say that I'm getting around 1500k down. Wow! About HALF of the rated speed. Woo woo!

Frankly, I think they're overselling bandwidth. If I wanted to deal with that, I'd go to RoadRunner.

Comments:

Review by Toast070 See Profile

• Location: Paint Lick,Garrard,KY
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Tech Support"
Bad "Billing & Contract Changes"
Overall "Not Worth the Nightmare !!"

I was offered Alltel DSL (now Windstream)1.5 - the 1st 2 Months FREE, & $19.95 after that never will my bill be any higher as long as I keep that plan! I was to pay S&H on the Modem, & had to keep the DSL for 1 year. Simply explained just like that.

When the Contract was being made over the phone I was told the conversation was being recorded & I made her repeat the deal again during our "contractual conversaion."

DSL just became available in my area & I am a patient person. There were problems when the lines were supposed to be activated & engineers had to be summoned. But I was told 4 different times a repairman would be out to fix the problem. Even sat a home 3 days waiting for him - the phone rang 4 times one day telling me he was on his way to fix it!!! That was 14 days before I had DSL & no one had to come into my home!

Had to make several calls (about 10) to Tech Support for one reason or another. It was a virtual nightmare that took nearly a month to fix. And now that it is up & running I have to re-boot 5-6 times each day for some odd reason. Can't re-open IE if I disable the modem or close down for an extended period??

Then the BILL arrived. I'm told they don't guarantee anything their sales people say & the conversations are NOT RECORDED when the contracts are made. I definately give this company thumbs down.

Comments:

Review by irgl87 See Profile

• Location: Trenton,Wayne,MI
Good "Price"
Bad "Customer Service, too many outages, billing errors, rude installers"
Overall "Price isn't everything. Searching for a better provider"

During the whole process, signing up for services was smooth and friendly, but once the technicians arrived, everything went downhill!

Installer arrived late and while raining. Feet were wet and somewhat muddy. Didn't have covers for shoes and refused to take them off. Sent him home and called Wow. They apologized and sent someone new. Much better, but shouldn't have to be inconvenienced a second time. They offered me a 12 month $10 off bill discount.

Called customer service about a dozen times due to many outages. They denied an outage, but when I called 2 of my other neighbor with Wow, they were down too. They must have to publish outages, so this is why they probably deny it. Later, 2 Wow trucks were down the street. Called again, still denied outages. Were we down too many times!

Bill still isn’t correct after 3 months. Have my own cable modem, but modem charge still appear.

Comments:

Review by shockwaverid See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
  • Telco party AllTel
  • CLEC party: Verizon (ex GTE)
(ratings well above consensus)

siemens speedstream 4200..self install....dynamic ip,essentially staticpppoe..so far so good

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-04-20 19:43:21 EST:
2425 / 315 supposed to be 3072/384 about 7500 ft from dsl switch
Your download speed : 2425 kbps or 303.1 KB/sec.
That is 24.2% better than an average user on alltel.net

Your upload speed : 315 kbps or 39.4 KB/sec.
That is 7.8% better than an average user on alltel.net

Monthly cost does not include $18.95 for a residential line and other fees which bring the actual cost to approx $60 per month.

Comments:

Review by wesleyjwilso See Profile

• Location: Thomaston,Upson,GA
Good "Reliabable"
Bad "Download always 15% slower than advertised, Upload 20% slower than advertised"
Overall "Reliable service but less than 15-20% slower speeds than advertised"

Speeds:
DL expected: 1500 Kbps, Actual: 1280 Kbps (~15% slower)
UL expected: 384 Kbps, Actual: 305 Kbps (~20% slower)

Price: Signed 1 year contract for $29.95 /month
Setup: dynamic IP, PPPoE

Charter Cable is more competitive with price than Alltel but reliability has been a problem for Charter.

Comments:

Review by jdbento See Profile

• Location: Jefferson,Jackson,GA
Good "Works Great"
Bad "Alltel Will pull a "bait and switch" on you."
Overall "Alltel does not do what they promise... they say they are not responsible for "misinformation""

I have been an Alltel customer for 13 years. They sold me a package that would give me DSL for 24.95 per month. Then they told me that I was given misinformation. This is just a way of them saying "We do not stand behind what we say"

I will be glad when the day comes and I can jump ship to another provider. In areas where they do not have the "Monopoly" they will keep their promises.

Also, if you have a problem, they will promise to call you back, but they won't.

Comments:

Review by morpheus88 See Profile

• Location: Bethlehem,Barrow,GA
Good "Better than dialup"
Bad "Could be faster and better support"
Overall "Its worth it for now"

I been with alltel for 2 1/2 years now, They were very quick about setting up my dsl connection didn't take them but a week if Im not wrong. The first year while under contract had no problems at all besides when a bad storm came, Second year didn't go so well had problems with disconnecting ever 5 to 10 minutes did this for about 3 weeks till I finally cussed out there technicians and they got it fixed 2 days later. There has been some problems with them but all in all it is better than dial up, I wish I had faster upload speeds and have been considering upgrading since there isn't a cable company near me. For the past 3 months I get disconnected maybe once a week for 2 minutes but there has been alot of work with adding sub divisions near by so I try to excuse most of it. There tech support not so bright most act like they have no idea what there doing, I know more than the average person cause I do work for a server company. If I get the upgraded package with alltel I will keep you informed on how it goes, I have also been considering getting a static ip but have no idea what pricing is on it right now.

member for 10 years, 0 visits, last login: 10 years ago