Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by Tim618 See Profile

• Location: Garrettsville,Portage,OH
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Finally have a stable connection with them"
Bad "low upload, horrble support"
Overall "decent deal if its your only option"

Update: 5-15-07

Well I've had a heck of a time with windstream. I still think there an ok ISP. If you read my previous update, i finally got them to get me 3 meg. Well it worked ok for a while, and then i started to get a really bad line problem, i was taking incrementing errors on the dsl modem. I'd log into the modem and see the errors (showed right beside SNR). There were tons of them. I had a tech come out and he acknowledged that there shouldn't be more than 2 errors, i was getting thousands. So they "worked" on my line. I called and recalled and had a tech switch out my modem, work on my line. Every time they would claim they found something and fixed it but it wouldn't help out at all. If any of you remember i also have had a terrible hum on my line for about a year and a half. Well it got so bad i coudln't take it anymore. I had tickets and techs out every week for two months working on phone or dsl, and they never could fix either. So i signed up with Via Talk VOIP phone service. I also tried to port my existing number over, but was unable to. In the process of trying to keep my home windstream number and port it over, i ordered a "new line" so i could get DSL on it and the viatalk could take my old number.

SO I order a "new" phone line. I got a new number and ordered 1.5 greenstreak (naked) DSL on it. Well after fighting with them for about 3 weeks they finally got it setup right, i now have 1.5 meg dsl, and NO ERRORS! With no more hum on my phone(because of the VOIP)! In a week and a half i had 16 errors on my modem, much better than 8000 in 3 days! The only downside is that the 1.5 greenstreak DSL costs 35 a month. But even with that, i get unlimited calling with Via talk for about 9 dollars a month! i'm still saving over 20 a month. The VOIP works great, the internet works great, im loving my setup finally! I'm pulling 1330/335 , 170 KBPS with my DSL and pings to the first hop are 22ms. Hopefully this stays like this! After everything got figured out, i tried to call windstream and ask for a a year and a half credit for all of my problems, especially with the hum on the phone, and said check the tickets from oct 05 and thats when i first reported it. She said she couldn't do anything for me because I didn't call in every month to the BILLING dept and let them know i had an on going problem. How was i supposed to know to do this? I called repair/tech support telling them its still not fixed! I ended up getting a 3 month credit out of her or 197$, so i won't be paying for my greenstreak until november or something like that. I wouldn't recommend this ISP unless its your only option. They are such a hassle to work with and are very shady in there service.

Update 7-21-06.

Well ever since being stuck with the 1.5 meg since last september, its just been a bummer because the DSL just seems a lot slower than it was, because it was! Anyways, i've called alltel every month since they bumped me back down to try to get them to bump me up but i just get into an argument everytime with the rep and them not doing anything for me. Well just this past week they were bought out by Windstream and now they are windstream communications. So i see that happened so i called windstream, and the very nice rep let me know that i was out of my contract and was paying full rate, so i verbally agreed to another year, so i could get the 24.95 a month for 1.5 then she asked what she could do for me and i said well I'd like to upgrade my DSL. She said okay, i said that i had 1.5 meg and i'd like to go to 3 meg, and she said okay let me check, and then i said i should be able to get it, i got a note in the mail a while ago telling me i could ( i tried this with alltel, but they still wouldn't upgrade me ) she said okay its upgraded and it will take effect within 2-6 hours, and about 4 hours later, im pulling 2500/310. FINALLY after 10 months of waiting i have my DSL ULTRA BACK!!! Windstream to me is by far much better than alltel. I hope they stay this good forever!

Update 9-29-05

had huge issues with my service disconnecting all the time, alltel sent me a new modem after about 2 weeks of begging, free of charge, its the brand new 4200 series modems, hooked it up, and the service was rock solid for 6 days without question, then it started disconnecting. had 3 techs out in the span of 2 weeks to look at it cuz my connection would stahl or drop everyday about 5-10 times a day. the one tech said there was something on the line that he had to take off, after that was supposedly fixed'' it still dropped, called them back again then the next guy said im 4000 feet over the max distance for ultra, so the next day they bump me down to 1200/300. well that is a bunch of crap because i've had ultra for almost 8 months and it worked fine! called back and a tech is supposed to come out today sometime and he will get an ear full from me and im still trying to get switched to fast path with ultra, if alltel somehow B.S.s there way out of giving me back my ultra, when i know my line is very cabable of having it, they will be hearing from me everyday till i get it back. when the techs came out they didn't even look at my line but theres something wrong because my SNR is jumping from 22 to 0.5 dB and thats why my connection is so unstable and if they wont look at it how can they fix it! will update once these issues are resolved...hopefully.

Update: 2-10-05

Alltel finally announced they would be upgrading to 3 megs this past week, finally. I promptly called the service desk and talked to a young man, and he quickly said, within 30 seconds, no you cant get it, your too far away from the DSL equipment, mind you, im 24,500 feet from the CO. but i had a great connecttion with the 1.5/384 (1240/350) and i just thought this guy was a little short with me about it so i called the next day and talked to a very nice lady about it and she said, well were not sure we'll have to send a tech out to look at your line, i said thats fine, she said it would be the following monday the 7th. waited all day for the tech but he never showed, called back tuesday afternoon and said whats the deal here, and they said the tech moved the day ahead to today (tuesday) but the guy i talked to said the tech wasnt needed and that my line would be provisioned with the upgraded speeds sometime in the afternoon that day. then he said hang on a minute let me call your local office, he did and he said ok sometime this afternoon you should be good. i hung up wiht him, about 30 minutes later the alltel rep from my local office called and said that i could not get this upgrade yet because im too far and its too new and to call back in a few months. supremely bummed, i said ok, but it was just weird to me that the one guy said i'd get the speeds that afternoon, so i went out, came home that night and noticed pages loading more quickly, did a speed test and got 2450/350, and downloading files at 315 kb/sec. so i guess alltel thinks i dont have it but i really do, im not complaining, so far, the upgrade has been far more consistent and stable then the 1.5 service, and i've only had it for 3 days. im enjoying, faster load times, better ping times for better gaming, and i can download bigger files a lot faster, way to go alltel.

Update 10/4.04-

Got a bill for 89 dollars! Didn't know what that was about, my DSL said it was 49.95 a month! got curious and called, they said that the contract was never renewed! GRRR. i renewed it myself! so they told me to go to this website and redo it so hopefully i will get credit for my account, also, my DSL has been pretty much completely dead this past saturday morning till today.. my DSL was losing sync, and not doing anything. it would be really sporatic, and one second it would be fine, then i'd go to a different page and nothing, and i'd lose the connection, nothing i did fixed this, i tried cycling the modem and router, going directly through the router, taking all of my phones off the hook, still nothing, called tech support 3 times, they put in a trouble ticket and insisted their was nothing they could do, i would be on the phone and they would be like: your line margins are fine... OMG your signals just dropped drastically! im like yeah no kidding, i dont have sync now. their like ok ok. tech came out this morning and he said their was a cut in my line and he repaired it, it seemed to fix the problem somewhat, although it has still been iffy today, not sure, sometimes its fine othertimes it lags, dont know what to do.. hopefully its just a hiccup in their system or something. Also, a buddy of mine who has SBC DSL just upgraded his DSL to 3.0/512 for 36.95 a month! alltel seriously needs to raise their downstream. for 2 dollars more a month he has DOUBLE my speeds!

UPDATE: 9-22-04. Was surfing around and all of a sudden my connection died. never did that before. tried to reboot the modem and router wiht no luck getting the internet back up..i was stumped, called teh help desk and the guy said, wow... your really lucky you got through, hundreds of people are on hold.. im like why? he said because all of alltel had temporarily gone down for about an hour or so. he said he didn't know why.. within about 20 mins or so i was back up and running... go figure..

Did a speed test for the heck of it today and noticed i was getting 1230/330!!! Alltel confirmed the upgrade was a 384 upgrade. much happier now. and for 34.95, its not bad at all...i'd liek it to be about 29.99. I'd also like them to have a 39.99 for 3.0/512 to compete with verizons 3.0/768 package for 44.95. alltel has become a much better deal, just wish it was a bit more stable connection and stable speeds... i've done speed tests with upload and gotten 180, 202, 240,256, 292,303, 320,and 331. not in any particular order..i don't know if its because the upgrade just happened or if its something on my end..who knows. all in all a good value now...

I waited for 4 years for broadband to be available in my area, finally, alltel got it available. signed up 12 month contract at 768/128 for 39.99, within 6 months they changed their teir 1 speeds to 1536/128 for 34.95. i was happy about that.setting up was easy, i didnt use the PPPoE software because i got a router and im on a 3 pc network, setup a static ip for each one and pretty stable connection. i get about 1150/105 and im about 22,000 feet from the CO. I do have sync loss problems and speed drops at least once a week, i call tech support and they tell me its a filter, but i have everything filtered. they finally concluded that its becasue i live 22,000 feet ( more than 4 miles!) from the CO. That's understandable. I download at about 150 kbps. I've had lots of calls to the tech support and they usually have been able to help me except for my latest problem, my speed dropping to about 15 kbps sometimes! grr! And I want more upload.. I would switch to the verizon 3.0/768 if i could get verizon, because its only 5 dollars more, yet alltel does nothing, they say they;ll increase their upload to 256 eventually. who knows when. If i could get out of alltel i would, but since their the only option around me, i have no choice if i want broadband. Alltel says their new standard plan will be 1536/256 for 34.95. who knows when that will happen, i still want more upload and download. come on alltel. get on the broadband bandwagon and get higher speeds and lower prices! But this is a decent value for broadband.

Comments:

Review by rmaro See Profile

• Location: Arnoldsville,Oglethorpe,GA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "hmm.. works sometimes"
Bad "pick one! slow...slow and slower!"
Overall "stick with dial up,.. its faster!"

well I have had the slowest connection since oct.. and they cant seem to fix it!
check out these test results.. and you be the judge!!

»www.maro.net/windstream/

Comments:

Review by durvish See Profile

• Location: Jefferson,Jackson,GA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "It's internet"
Bad "EVERYTHING"
Overall "Go some where else if you can!"

Great when it was Alltel ---- Now it's Windstream and it blows!

4 months of having to call atleast twice a week and still the worst speed I have ever seen.
I am signed up for 6/316 but am constantly getting below Tier 1 download speed!

Comments:

Review by jmackc See Profile

• Location: Whigham,Grady,GA
Bad "connection speed"
Overall "better than dialup"

I ordered Alltel's ( now Windstream ) 3 Mbit ADSL service for $35.95 per month on a 12 month contract. I am less than 12,000 ft from the RT so it should work. Since August I have never connected at over 700Kbps. My normal connection is about 300/350kbps Sometimes the service goes completely out for a day or two if it happens on the weekend. Regardless of what the trouble is, when you call Windstream the problem is always your equipment or your connection inside the house. I made contact with one service rep who knew what he was doing and he had me download a file using the alltel ftp. When the speed was about 170kbps, he said Alltel had a problem and would initiate a service order. Local tech left a note on my gate stating the problem was mine, they probably fired the knowledgeable guy. I have had a reputable company check my internal wiring and filters, run a dedicated line to the DSL modem ...... but per Alltel the problem is still mine. All other users in the area have the same complaints about ALLTEL's antiquated equipment and poor quality service but Alltel is the only provider in this area so we are stuck with them. I am considering a satellite.

Comments:

Review by Nihilistics See Profile

• Location: Twinsburg,Summit,OH
Good "Free modem."
Bad "Contract, Inept customer-service, HORRIBLE service, and INEPT CUSTOMER SERVICE."
Overall "If you have any other possibility of getting broadband from another carrier do it."

Moved into my new apartment Nov 25, 2006. Connected to the modem and got online only to be utterly disappointed. It is now Dec 6, 2006 and my service is pathetic. Every time I run any bandwidth test I get roughly 10-15% QoS. I've called tech support 8 times and today a technician came out to check the box. Videogame latency is so horrible I can't even play WoW. Download rates vary from 40kbps-140kbps. The only thing consistently high is my upload speed but a lot of good that does me.

The scoop: I originally tried connecting the modem to the wall-drop with no filter. (I don't use landlines I use vonage) Modem > Router > PC. For the sake of troubleshooting I then tried Modem > PC, and still had no luck. Then I tried Modem > Router (bridged mode) > PC, and had no improvement. Keep in mind that it has been taking me 15-30 minutes for my modem to even connect to the network. The modem Log had hundreds of entries of Initializing... Waiting... Initializing... Waiting... etc. Overall, I spent about 6 hours ENSURING that there was nothing wrong on my end. The signal strength to the modem is over 30 and my router made no difference.

Of course, each time I call tech support the flip-card reps had me constantly do the same thing over and over for the past week despite me telling them I'd tried it all. Pinging for packet loss, netstat to make sure spyware wasn't stealing my bandwidth, firewall settings, and the kitchen-sink. Every time I was on the phone with them my bandwidth tests were horrible and finally a trouble-call was put in on my system. The tech came today and everything was fine on my end and at the street.

Today, I call them to find out the results because my internet still sucks. After talking to the worst tech-support person yet I insist on speaking to a tier 2 rep. and not even 15 seconds after being on the phone with me he informs me my area has a severe hardware failure. He says it was reported on the 29th even though I'd been calling since the 25th. So, Windstream is waiting on a vendor to supply them with replacement parts and he was sure that this was why my connection sucked.

Conclusion: WHY would someone not know this and tell me this in the first place? WHY would a company waste their resources and send a tech to my house when this major problem existed. Windstream.net has no information on regional problems so there certainly isn't any ETA on a solution. It has been 2 weeks and a MAJOR communications company hasn't fixed a serious problem. They won't credit my account and aside from having an almost useless service, I have wasted over an entire day of my free-time on attempting to fix this problem. I'm forced to use this pathetic excuse of an ISP since there is nothing else in my area but, the minute cable becomes available I'm giving windstream the middle-finger.

-Adam

Comments:

Review by XcceLL See Profile

• Location: Jefferson,Jackson,GA
Good "Its better then dial up!"
Bad "Still not getting the speeds I saw with Alltel."
Overall "Find a different provider."

I have been with Alltel since 2004. The service was good with some blips but the customer service was very helpful. Now that Alltel has handed the broadband service to Windstream every thing has been a big headache.

I have the 3/386 package for $39.99/month. I didn't have any problems with install and the order process with Alltel was easy.

I have a Speed Stream 5200 modem, PPPoE.

Get a different provider if you can.

Comments:

Review by WWWZZZ See Profile

• Location: Marcellus,Onondaga,NY
Good "Price"
Bad "Never got working service in 2 months."
Overall "Cancelled service."

Cancelled service. Never got service as fast as dialup. Windstream employees repeatedly claimed to have fixed the service. Waiting to find out if they will bill me for 12 month contract.

Comments:

Review by andyu See Profile

• Location: Sugar Land,Fort Bend,TX
Good "None"
Bad "Nowhere near rated speeds, non-responsive support"
Overall "Avoid"

Windstream (nee Alltel) claims that nothing has changed since the buy-out/merger/name-change. One thing has. For the last 2-3 months, my speeds on a "premium" circuit have gone into the toilet. I should get 3mb down and 768k up. On average, I get 600k up (not too bad, but should be better). My download speeds have rarely exceeded 700k, and often are no more than _80k_ for long periods of time.

They claim to have no records of many of my calls, they had me spend $200 running a new line inside the house, they close tickets without responding, the even deny that a tech came to the premises (I escorted him to the d-mark and modem personally, and it was he that suggested running new interior cabling, but Windstream has NO RECORD that that ever happened).

One tech told me that my circuit had been moved to a different router at about the same time I started having the problem. Others deny that.

Today a tech "rebuilt" my circuit. I'm pleased to say that I'm getting around 1500k down. Wow! About HALF of the rated speed. Woo woo!

Frankly, I think they're overselling bandwidth. If I wanted to deal with that, I'd go to RoadRunner.

Comments:

Review by Toast070 See Profile

• Location: Paint Lick,Garrard,KY
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Tech Support"
Bad "Billing & Contract Changes"
Overall "Not Worth the Nightmare !!"

I was offered Alltel DSL (now Windstream)1.5 - the 1st 2 Months FREE, & $19.95 after that never will my bill be any higher as long as I keep that plan! I was to pay S&H on the Modem, & had to keep the DSL for 1 year. Simply explained just like that.

When the Contract was being made over the phone I was told the conversation was being recorded & I made her repeat the deal again during our "contractual conversaion."

DSL just became available in my area & I am a patient person. There were problems when the lines were supposed to be activated & engineers had to be summoned. But I was told 4 different times a repairman would be out to fix the problem. Even sat a home 3 days waiting for him - the phone rang 4 times one day telling me he was on his way to fix it!!! That was 14 days before I had DSL & no one had to come into my home!

Had to make several calls (about 10) to Tech Support for one reason or another. It was a virtual nightmare that took nearly a month to fix. And now that it is up & running I have to re-boot 5-6 times each day for some odd reason. Can't re-open IE if I disable the modem or close down for an extended period??

Then the BILL arrived. I'm told they don't guarantee anything their sales people say & the conversations are NOT RECORDED when the contracts are made. I definately give this company thumbs down.

Comments:

Review by irgl87 See Profile

• Location: Trenton,Wayne,MI
Good "Price"
Bad "Customer Service, too many outages, billing errors, rude installers"
Overall "Price isn't everything. Searching for a better provider"

During the whole process, signing up for services was smooth and friendly, but once the technicians arrived, everything went downhill!

Installer arrived late and while raining. Feet were wet and somewhat muddy. Didn't have covers for shoes and refused to take them off. Sent him home and called Wow. They apologized and sent someone new. Much better, but shouldn't have to be inconvenienced a second time. They offered me a 12 month $10 off bill discount.

Called customer service about a dozen times due to many outages. They denied an outage, but when I called 2 of my other neighbor with Wow, they were down too. They must have to publish outages, so this is why they probably deny it. Later, 2 Wow trucks were down the street. Called again, still denied outages. Were we down too many times!

Bill still isn’t correct after 3 months. Have my own cable modem, but modem charge still appear.