Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by jdbento See Profile

• Location: Jefferson,Jackson,GA
Good "Works Great"
Bad "Alltel Will pull a "bait and switch" on you."
Overall "Alltel does not do what they promise... they say they are not responsible for "misinformation""

I have been an Alltel customer for 13 years. They sold me a package that would give me DSL for 24.95 per month. Then they told me that I was given misinformation. This is just a way of them saying "We do not stand behind what we say"

I will be glad when the day comes and I can jump ship to another provider. In areas where they do not have the "Monopoly" they will keep their promises.

Also, if you have a problem, they will promise to call you back, but they won't.

Comments:

Review by morpheus88 See Profile

• Location: Bethlehem,Barrow,GA
Good "Better than dialup"
Bad "Could be faster and better support"
Overall "Its worth it for now"

I been with alltel for 2 1/2 years now, They were very quick about setting up my dsl connection didn't take them but a week if Im not wrong. The first year while under contract had no problems at all besides when a bad storm came, Second year didn't go so well had problems with disconnecting ever 5 to 10 minutes did this for about 3 weeks till I finally cussed out there technicians and they got it fixed 2 days later. There has been some problems with them but all in all it is better than dial up, I wish I had faster upload speeds and have been considering upgrading since there isn't a cable company near me. For the past 3 months I get disconnected maybe once a week for 2 minutes but there has been alot of work with adding sub divisions near by so I try to excuse most of it. There tech support not so bright most act like they have no idea what there doing, I know more than the average person cause I do work for a server company. If I get the upgraded package with alltel I will keep you informed on how it goes, I have also been considering getting a static ip but have no idea what pricing is on it right now.

Comments:

Review by mhutchinson See Profile

• Location: Norman Park,Colquitt,GA
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "When they are up, the connection is okay"
Bad "24/7 Tech support doesn't exist 24/7 means 24 hours a week, seven days a year"
Overall "Too pricey, no customer service"

Technicians
I ordered the Alltel DSL several weeks ago. Yesterday, when the modem was suppose to be installed, I received a phone call from someone saying that the technician was ill and would be here the next day.Tuesday came around and by 3:00 p.m. that day, there was still no technician. I called alltel and asked when the technician would be there. He said that he would be here between 3 and 5.

5:00 p.m. rolled around, still no technician to install my DSL modem. I called back to the Alltel plant, again they put me on hold while they called the technician. He then explained that he did not receive the order (if that is the correct term) until today. On the Alltel computer, from what I understand, it was confirmed that he, the technician, picked up the order , March 31st, 2003. The representive on the phone stated that the technician would be here , Tuesday, April 1st, 2003, between 5:00p.m and midnight. It is now 8:30 p.m. and still the there is no Alltel Technician.

After making several phone calls, AND days later, a technician finally showed up to my house for 30 minutes. He had to leave to find someone to install the modem.

I am also disappointed with this sexist behavior that their technicians have about women and computers. My daughter spent 2 years studying Computer information (Networking Specialist) and is only 1 class away from having her associates in it. When I said that she was a computer technician herself, the nose picking yodels that alltel hired pointed at her and said "HER".

$49.00 a month
teir 1 (regular DSL)

November 27, 2004 (Update). Trying to contact the 24/7 tech support after 5:00 p.m. is impossible. Will stay on phone for hours while waiting for response. Very vague explanation of why service is down. Alltel hires uneducated people to "deal" with their customers.

Comments:

Review by GregoryCJohn See Profile

• Location: Dawsonville,Dawson,GA
Good "Reasonably reliable"
Bad "Technically adequate. Hate working with them."
Overall "I'll keep putting up with them until I have another choice"

Technically the service itself is reasonably reliable - in the 18 months I've used them outages are surprising, not mundane. Tech support has been adequate. The speed tier (1.5M/256k) tests out around 800kbps. One higher tier is availble here, 768/768 SDSL for $99/mo + voice & junk fees.

The business side of things leaves a lot to be desired - I get the feeling that these guys are old-skool telco people who do things like DSL, web sites, etc. because they need to be able to point at thems and say "see, we have one of those" instead of using them to enhance their relationship with customers.

When I signed up there was no transparency - DSL tiers and pricing was read over the phone and no written information was available by mail, fax, or web. (I asked)

Just verified speed tier and static IP. Friendly folks. Level 1 customer service rep (CSR) was able to address my tiering question adequately, and transferred me to the Business department for my Static IP (SIP) question. Business CSR was friendly, but immediately stated SIP was handled by Marketing. Business then attempted to contact the Marketing CSR responsibe for Static IP for transfer, but was unable to do so. Business then requested phone number for a call-back. Since SIP had been handled in a mundane manner so far, I suggested that the call-back message to Marketing CSR also tell them to just enable it on this account. Business CSR asked if I knew cost. I requested a rate sheet or general ballpark of costs. CSR dug around for a second and came back with $80 per month . I asked if that was a total monthly cost, or an additional cost for the static IP. She stated it was an $80 per month increase on top of the existing charges. I thanked her and renewed my resolve to never, never, never live outside an urban area again.

They refuse to unbundle voice service, so I include that as part of the DSL cost. ( Cell already gets almost all my voice traffic, why would I want a voice service I can't even walk out the door with?)

Comments:

Review by OutOfKilter See Profile

• Location: Irvine,Estill,KY
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Consistent speeds, near 100% uptime and good USENET service."
Bad "Comparably slow speed."
Overall "Best of limited choices in my rural area."

Ditched $49.95 512/128 local cable co. connection for 768/128 Alltel DSL in Oct. 2003. Received the self install package seven days from order date. Account was provisioned three days later.

Download speed was increased to 1536 approx. six months later. Upload speed was increased to 384 in Sep. 2004. Also received invitation to extend the "introductory pricing" of 34.95 per/month for another year, in Sep. 2004.

The Speedstream 5200 modem has worked flawlessly and the Alltel provided firmware upgrade which enables it to work as a router was a plus even though I only use it as a bridge to a Linksys router.

Likewise, allowing the router to handle PPoE has eliminated the annoying Tango Manager software.

Speed increases into the the range of 2048/768 and webspace closer to 50MB would garner Alltel an unequivocal recommendation from me.

As is, I recommend them with the caveat of there may be faster options available in your area.

Comments:

Review by larrykay See Profile

• Location: Ford City,Armstrong,PA

member for 14.3 years, 1190 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by cj22009 See Profile

• Location: Auburn,Barrow,GA
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Was the only broad band at the time"
Bad "They charge to much for what you get and its not reliable"
Overall "Dont use alltel in Winder or Auburn Ga"

First of all, I used to have Bellsouth for DSL. It was a big downgrade to alltel when I moved. I'm paying same price for 768dn/128up, as I was for 1.5dn/256up, plus Bellsouth was super reliable service. It went down once the whole two years I had it. Alltel goes down at least twice a week, and I have problems with the speed. I use dial up three or four times a week, because its faster than the DSL. When I call tech support it usually is fixed and super fast for a day or two, then its back to the same story. I don't even call tech support anymore. (By the way there phone service is just as bad when I first moved in.) - I had a problem after my DSL was installed, and my phone would just go dead for no reason. I do phone and data work for a living, and when I called them out, they said it was inside wiring. I said, "Ok." I replaced every wire in my house, and it did the same thing. So I went to the NID, unhooked all my inside wiring, then toned my buried cable back to their post. I then unhooked my buried cable, and still no dial tone. I called customer service, and informed them of what I had done. They promptly put me on the phone with the local supervisor, and I told him what I did. He sent out a tech, and come to find out it was a bad card in the slick. Needless to say its the same story with their dsl. Slow and unreliable.

member for 10.8 years, 158 visits, last login: 10.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by poopiepants See Profile

• Location: King,Stokes,NC
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Fast speeds. Stable connection."
Bad "Too expensive, Tech support is horrid. News server is bad (no support)"
Overall "768/128 for $35 to 1500/256 for $109 is ridiculous. Alltel only broadband ISP you can get in this city.."

Alltel is ok, but really need to adjust their pricing plans, 1500/256 tier is $109. Prices is a blatant ripoff considering that the next town Pinnacle has Sprint Broadband which charges only $60 for the same speeds. Citizens of King are stuck with Alltel until Adelphia decides roll out fiber. Very satisfied so far with connection speed and stability, I hope it continues to stay that way.

Comments:

Review by dburn See Profile

• Location: Monroe,Walton,GA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "None"
Bad "They turned off my working line becaUse 'It doesn't work at your house'"
Overall "Horrible"

Alltel told me that I qualified for service, and after about a three week wait, it was finally turned on. I was happily using it for another three weeks, when it stopped working. I called Technical Support, and they informed me that they turned it off because I was too far away from the switch for it to work. It took me about an hour to convince them that it was working, and then they said 'Well...even if it did work, you wouldn't be happy with it'. I never could get them to turn it back on, because they didn't want to deal with the 'High number of support calls that would be made that far from the switch'.

They told me they would send me a postage-paid bag to send my modem back in. After no refund for two weeks, I called to complain. They said they hadn't received the modem, and I informed them that I haven't received a bag. They said they would send another bag to me, and yesterday I received ANOTHER MODEM (As well as another 99.95 fee on my account). Now they claim they are sending me two bags, but I'm guessing I'm going to receive 2 more modems. Watch for them on ebay.

I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM.

member for 11.1 years, 12 visits, last login: 10.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by tbrauch See Profile

• Location: Winston Salem,Forsyth,NC
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Sometimes I can even access the internet."
Bad "34 days to install inconsistent service."
Overall "If you have a choice, make a different one."

It took 3 phones calls and 34 days to finally get DSL at my apartment. No equipment or location problems, I guess they just lost my order, twice. When I finally got it installed, I lose my connection every time it rains, which it has done a lot in the last 10 months. Even when it is clear and sunny outside, I get disconnected at random. Sometimes I can stay connected for a week, sometimes for a few hours. (I know subscribe to monitoring service at dslreports, maybe someone will believe me) Usually, after being disconnected, it takes me 5 minutes to reconnect, but often enough, it takes 20 minutes or longer. I have had techs out to check my lines on a couple different occasions, all the time while it was sunny. They don't find a problem. Yet, when it rains I lose my connection and call to complain. Yep, the person I'm talking to can't get a DSL signal on my line so they'll send someone out to look at it the next day. Of course, it works by that time. I've give up calling them every other day when it goes out for a few hours because of the rain. I know they can't/won't do anything about it.

Sure, I'll admit it was pretty easy to set up. Well, it took awhile because it was raining when I tried to set it up the first time so I didn't have a DSL signal. But once it quit raining, it didn't take anything. Well, the software that came with it isn't so good. It could have been better written and have allowed you to skip some of the rediculous cartoons (I write software occasionally for a living and I know a little something about computers). I actually had to uninstall the software they gave me because it kept crashing my computer, everytime I got randomly disconnected my computer would freeze. Not to mention PPPoE is a horrible standard to use in the first place. I mean, sure it makes it nice and easy on the server side, but on the user side, it bogs down computers and wastes CPU cycles. It is also hard to configure and maintain for the user. But hey, the server and the company running the server, their job is easy and that's all that matters, right?

Oh, and the modem I got, the SpeedStream 5200, be careful with it. I've got a digital thermometer that measures up to 120ºF. Often times, the modem runs hotter than that and the thermometer registers error. Once when I was moving it, it was so hot, it was quite uncomfortable to handle. There is no fan in the modem, or at least mine is so quiet I don't think there is one in there.