Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by VTXJENNY See Profile

• Location: Liberty,Casey,KY
Good "nothing good"
Bad "everthing s@cks"
Overall "avoid if possible."

Third world countries have faster internet than Windstream....if there is no incentive (competition) why should they care. The absolute worst customer service...all liars.

Comments:

Review by Nickali28 See Profile

• Location: Cove,Polk,AR
Good "Customer Service Friendly. "
Bad "Oversold circuits with outdated equipment."
Overall "No data caps yet. Poor quality on overutilized old equipment."

I have had a 3Mb DSL service for several years. It was ok in the first year or two. Each year it gets progressively worse. Equipment is over utilized and very outdated. Since I live rurally it is not cost effective to update equipment. As it stands I frequently get around 20% packet loss and less than .2Mb download and upload. Peak hours you may as well forget the internet. Bandwidth is not there. Order and install was easy and straightforward. Customer service has been polite, albeit not helpful. I have been informed they understand what the problem is. Equipment, oversold, etc. but that at this time it is not in plans for upgrade.

Bottom Line: There is no other option in the area for uncapped internet. We have windstream DSL, Satellite, or Cell Phone that is not running 3G. It is the prior speed.

I work from home sometimes and get timed out and have to drive 30 miles to work. Irritating to say the least, but there is no other options. As soon as another viable option is available, windstream is gone.

Comments:
tonyNM

·Windstream

Most unethical, greedy CEO ever.

At least they tell you partial truth. here they just lie and say they are working on it. They do not mention what they are working on or where nor do they have an estimated date of completion. They are simply not upgrading anything here and do not come out and say so.
Nickali28

join:2012-11-24
Cove, AR
·Windstream

Re: Most unethical, greedy CEO ever.

I work in IT and am familiar with a good bit of the ISP Business and basically cut through the tech help and told them what was going on with their own equipment just by using some simple tools and the tech actually agreed with me and told me that my area did have an older piece of equipment. Even gave me the circuit tag that is about a mile from my house. She said it was not in the plans for upgrade and that the new fiber in the area would not affect that equipment either. I suppose the average user wouldn't get so lucky to glean that information out. Customer service has been nice enough but I think they have been told what to say and not to. I live rurally so really am fortunate to have Broadband, but it would be nice if the equipment could get a bump. It would help, but as I understand it's a nationwide Windstream problem.

Espanola, NM

Re: Most unethical, greedy CEO ever.

They could solve it by investing some of the profit they make instead of being greedy and keeping it. Slow down the rate at which they are getting rich at is all they have to do. They will still get rich just not as fast.

Review by tonyNM See Profile

• Location: Espanola,Rio Arriba,NM
Good "It exists"
Bad "It exists"
Overall "Most unethical company in the world"

WIndstream Communications is the worst company in the world. They are greedy, unethical and just plain lie to their customers. Specifically, DSL service in Espanola, New Mexico is as bad or worse as it was 2 years ago. WIndstream is doing nothing at all to upgrade equipment or lines. THis is notning new for this company as a quick look through these forums will tell you. They have a monopoly here thus they have no need to upgrade anything. I am disabled both mentally and physically so basically the internet is my window to the world. Windstream is completely denying me a pleasant quality of life and there is no other broadband to switch. I am at wits end with these liars and quite frankly I see no future. I have extensive files of my dealings with windstream which I want to get out to the media before it is too late but I really do not have the energy for this anymore. Right now my heart is pounding and my nose keeps trying to drip red from the frustration and despair I feel about not being able to live. Windstream techs even toy with me and my illness. early this week I was told by one of the "tech" people online that the issue in my area would be resolved in 2 weeks. Today I find that this just was not true as another "tech" told me he didn't know why the first person had mentioned a fix was coming. They enjoy my helplessness and do not care if they are severely restricting my life.

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Separate the emotion...

Focus on what the actual issues are and write a review about the issues. There isn't much anyone can make out of this review except you claim there to be an issue and it was supposed to be resolved but it hasn't been. That doesn't say much.

·Windstream

Re: Separate the emotion...

Fair enough. THe issue is extreme latency and Windstreams lies. They say they are aware of the problem but they will not do anything to help alleviate it. This high latency issue has existed for over 2 years. I just can't believe how unethical this company is and they are doing it nationwide! Who are they paying off in order to not have been sued yet....hmmm
JimmyGator

join:2010-11-09
Melrose, FL

Simply pathetic. The test result speaks for the service being received.

« SpeedGuide.net Speed Test Results »
80 kbps down (~0.08 Mbps, 10 KB/s)
140 kbps up (~0.14 Mbps, 17 KB/s)
1024 KB downloaded in 105.439 seconds
Latency: 268ms
Provider: dynamic.ip.windstream.net
Location: High Springs, FL, US

Re: Simply pathetic. The test result speaks for the service being received.

I'd be happy with what you get at times. I also discovered that the "techs" here pick and choose who they help. I never received any answers to my IM. Patricia said she would look into it then nothing was done. Typical Windstream.
JimmyGator

join:2010-11-09
Melrose, FL

Re: Simply pathetic. The test result speaks for the service being received.

They should be paying me to 'enjoy' these speeds...

« SpeedGuide.net Speed Test Results »
Latency: 133ms
Provider: dynamic.ip.windstream.net
Location: Melrose, FL, US

Re: Simply pathetic. The test result speaks for the service being received.

You are in FLorida. I am in New Mexico yet it is the same story. How is it that these people have gotten away without a major scandal breaking out nation wide? My guess is big payoffs to politicians. No wonder they can't afford to upgrade our systems, they are buying off Senators and things.

Review by sethf See Profile

• Location: Danielsville,Madison,GA
Good "Direct forum support from Aaron"
Bad "Lack of investment in areas with no competition"
Overall "Adequate if your only choice is between them and satellite or capped wireless"

In the nearly 10 years that Alltel/Windstream has offered DSL in my area they have not made one single upgrade to the available speeds offered outside of increasing the upload to ~650Mbps (after you consider that they do not over provision the upload) a few years ago. Most of the time I get at least 2Mbps down on my 3Mbps line, but more frequently speeds and latency are in the toilet. Windstream will acknowledge the problem and give a stated date for a fix, but that date always gets pushed back. They do not have to fix these issues because there is no competition. The second Charter runs cable down my road (it passes it now) is the day I leave. Windstream is spending all their money on business services and "the cloud" while keeping residential investments in uncompetitive areas at nearly zero.

Comments:

Sammy_D

@windstream.net

Price gouging and poor service.

WIndstream gouges it's customers because they know they are the only one servicing many rural areas.
The service is down so much they owe me months worth of back service- but you know they won't do that.
I'll be glad if or when ATT or somebody gets lines out here - there's is less than half the price for the same service.

Review by Austia001 See Profile

• Location: Saint Matthews,Calhoun,SC
Good "was doing good, now bad again..."
Bad "Have had bad internet lag/drops in the past.. Kinda of expensive for 3MB dsl service versus some other carriers."
Overall "I've had my ups and downs but lately the tech support has helped a good bit."

Windstream is a monopoly in my area and can pretty much charge what they want for service apparently.. They are considerably higher rates than other competition for the same service. The fastest DSL I have available is 3MB and it's pretty dang high. I have friends a county over from mine that have 20+MB cable for the same price. They installed Fiber Optic into our network yesterday and the results today seem to be much better.. Time will tell.

Well, 12-27-2013, every evening still having high latency and ping times. Called tech support 3 times, and as of yet, nothing has been done. Sounds about typical from the service I had been getting before..

Comments:

Review by FlaCracker See Profile

• Location: Citra,Marion,FL
Good "It's better than dial up."
Bad "Don't expect this company to come anywhere near the promised download speeds. You will pay for 3 mps and you might get 1.0 mps."
Overall "Use this company only if you have no other option for a DSL or Cable provider."

If you have any other DSL or Cable option, you will be far better off going with that company than Windstream. WindStream has consistently failed to provide even a third of the promised download speed for which they charge. The only reason I am still with them is that there is no other option, other than satellite internet, which has it's own host of problems. Overall, I would say that WindStream is a complete scam for the actual promised download speed. They are more than willing to charge for "high speed" Internet, but are completely unable to keep their promise for "high speed" internet. In addition, they charged for their "professional install service", which ended up in the service man arriving on the wrong date and just leaving the equipment on the front porch. I was forced to self install, even though I was charged for "professional" installation. Windstream is the sort of company that actually needs the Better Business Bureau and government regulation, in order to attempt to detour them from completely ripping off the consumer.

Comments:
tonyNM

In addition

They are blatant liars. I can't believe the greed of these people. The one and only thing this CEO believes in is the profit margin. Eventually, there will indeed be a full scale investigation of these completely ethic less people and I sincerely hope criminal charges are filed and the consequences paid for by the policy setters. Really, what kind of people make policy like this? I can just imagine their secret board meetings where they laugh at us, the little people, while they count their money. HEY!! you are already rich. Stop getting richer faster and buy some equipment for us.

Review by iowaboy See Profile

• Location: Fairfield,Jefferson,IA
Good "Speeds marginally ok"
Bad "constant disconnects and field techs can not figure out why. Speed now 1014kbps on 3Mbpsline"
Overall "stay on top of them. Local field techs are great and care but hands tied"

·WildBlue
Ordered 3 Mbps package and have 1.5 Mbps reliable speeds. But in end line will only handle 1.5 Mbps. Called for tech support 3 times till I got a internet tech who cared enough to not just transfer me away to someone who really could not handle my issue. Once I got someone who took the ball I was fixed within minutes.

Field techs are great and would not give up till i had a clean line and went out of their way to make sure I was satisfied with my service.

09/12/2013: Well here we are after a few months of service and use the downstream has now dropped to best 1023 kbps and upstream of 380 kbps. Complained about noisy phone when on calls and since they attempted to repair this the speed dropped from 1506 kbps. Am paying for 3 Mbps down for DSL and so far they have refused to allow a discount for the reduced speeds. Field techs did rewire my line from the central office using never used lines and found that a pedestal about 1800 feet from me had 3 meg down. The next pedestal had 1023 kbps and mine has 1023 kbps. From what I can find out they may be not going to fix the line. Still have bad phone service with noise even when talking to my mother who also lives in same town.

I vote to stay away if you have another choice. Even satellite would be better than this.

10/10/2012. Finally done with this company. As soon as cable gets installed I am bailing. Internet connect speeds are lower and lower after each time tech comes to fix a problem they claim nothing is wrong and can't verify issue even though it is in black and while modem logs. Stay away. Even Satellite is better than this company.

member for 10.4 years, 2138 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
totalradio

Windstream Problems

I feel your pain. We in South Arkansas have great field techs. They know their equipment and they know their network. I'm lucky to live about 2000 feet from the CO and we get the speed we pay for, even at peak times.

That said, if you ever have to call tier 1 tech support, they are about as dumb as a box of rocks. They have no tech knowledge, they don't know their product and just flat out refuse to help. My last problem that I had was with my static IP, so I bit the bullet and called tech support. I got lucky and the tier 1 tech support person actually transferred me to tier 2 support. The guy in tier 2 was extremely sharp and recognized my problem. About 5 minutes of work and he told me to reboot my modem. BOOM ! Static IP problem corrected. Smooth sailing since then.

The problem in most areas is that when Windstream bought the smaller telcos, the infrastructure was horrible, and whether or not they knew it, they've never corrected them. In a lot of areas, the cables are bad at best. Couple that with the DSLAMS having inadequate circuits feeding them. When the DSLAMS get full, the speeds to customers are very bad. Combine them with bad cable and the problems are worse. Windstream can't really replace the bad cable in those areas, as its expensive to do so. They can't upgrade the circuits to the DSLAMS because its expensive to do so. Windstream's balance sheet is just as bad as their DSL in most areas, so they can't afford to upgrade the equipment. Once in a great while, an area gets lucky and gets an upgrade and all is well. In our area, Georgia-Pacific is a big customer for Windstream and I think they put a little pressure on Windstream to provide good service and the area benefits from it.

In fairness, Windstream is only one of many telcos that have those problems. I've heard many problems with Fairpoint, Frontier, CenturyLink, and of course Windstream. I've heard few problems with Verizon FiOS, and their huge fiber build outs. And Verizon FiOS has incredible speeds, speeds that I can only dream of, but that's comparing apples & oranges.

Glad you got away from Windstream.
jnoneiliv1

join:2013-10-19
United State

Re: Windstream Problems

I also feel your pain. We don't have cable or FIOS support in our area and older POTS lines to use for DSL and T1. It's not an easy problem to solve, try to be patient. I often get very frustrated, but it really doesn't help and the technicians are often just as frustrated.

Review by Silver_2000 See Profile

• Location: Grand Prairie,Dallas,TX
Good "Allworx phones are good"
Bad "Customer service is awful - in EVERY Way - slow unresponsive - arrogant"
Overall "Avoid them at all cost. Its not worth the pain"

We made the mistake of buying a phone system and network connections from Paetec - which was taken over by Windstream. We have 5 locations, multiple T1's, VOIOP phone system, MPLS network and VPN tunnels. Both Peatec and Windstream have been struggling to meet BASIC service level agreements.

Most recent example is we needed the IP address changed on a VPN tunnel. Its been 32 days and we just NOW have an APPT to START getting the IP address changed. That's ridiculous. Its 5 min worth of work. Not 32 days to resolution 32 days to get to the agent who CAN do the work - I hope.

The worst part is that no one at windstream sees this as a problem. Ive attempted to Escalate, you get lots of talk but NO action, no resolution to the on going customer service failures. Ill be shocked if they are still in business when our contract is up.

I rated the connection reliability as good but Windstream buys T1's from Verizon and ATT so they get NO credit for that.

Update : Windstream acts like a company circling the drain. The response from support takes longer and longer. Its typical to get no response from them. The good news about getting ignored is that if they ignore you at least they arent lying to you ....

Like many customers, We are in the process of breaking our contract due to repeated outages and lack of response. We have replaced ALL of the Windstream provided services and increased our internet speeds by 5x to 12x and saved $2000 a month in the process...

Comments:

Review by AckAck See Profile

• Location: Auburn,Nemaha,NE
Good "Not much of anything"
Bad "Promises 12Mbps, but may take years to get there."
Overall "Run away...run away..."

The Good: They really know how to apologize. They obviously have experience.

The Bad:
I have had DSL with Windstream since 2007, and at first I was quite happy with the service. About a year ago, we got a call from Windstream stating that they were willing to upgrade us from our 6Mbps plan to 12Mbps for only $5 a month more, and ever since it seems to have a severe case of narcolepsy. Most days I'm lucky to get a consistent 3Mbps, and sometimes it's 1Mbps with latency issues. I can't establish a reliable VPN connection to work with this, and streaming any video longer than about 20 seconds is near maddening. I wish that speedtest.net would log all of the times that the test won't even start due to latency errors.

If you decide to call support, a Windstream rep will be more than happy to placate you with apologies. I logged a ticket for slow connection speed, and about a month later I finally got a call back stating that they had located the problem and I should call if it persists. Well, nothing changed and I called them back.

11/18/11 - Speeds have improved but are still not consistent especially in the afternoon/evening time frame. I still stand by my original review until I can get proven reliable service.

12/11/11 - I'm back to getting service at less than 1Mbps on a 12mbps connection!

12/12/11 - Speeds are back to what I had from 11/18/11.

1/29/2012 - Speedtest shows 12Mbps, fairly regularly now, however I continue to be plagued with dropped connections. I tried to VPN into work tonight and after the 4th time that my VPN connection crashed in 20 minutes, I went to another location (which has a 5Mbps Time Warner connection, and I spent the next hour and a half on the VPN connection, with no loss of connection...Imagine that. I just need to convince my spouse that we can lose the bundle and stay with Dish network (no problems there) and ditch the DSL and phone, and go with Roadrunner. I just wish Apple hadn't bungled the OS6 maps so my wife would be finally driven to absolute sanity by repeated attempts at updating the OS with this connection, and beg for us to get a real internet provider. 5Mbps RR account is so much better than the narcoleptic "12 Mbps" DSL that ends up being anywhere from 0.8Mbps to about 7Mbps. I jumped on the one price for life promo, but I'm not really looking forward to paying for crap for the rest of my life.

The Ugly:
2/1/12 - Speedtest.net = 0.88Mbps.
Windstream strikes out again.

8/24/2012 2300
»www.speedtest.net/result/2138985546.png

9/27/2012 I'm finally getting 12Mbps pretty regularly as originally promised. No rebates, no refunds, nothing.

10/4/2012 Back to square 1 again, with bursts of speed interrupted by spans of vast black holes in their service. See 0.8Mbps result in the replies below.

1/20/2013 There must have been a perfect storm of federal money being made available and a fire being lit under someone's butt because I finally seem to be getting the 12Mbps that had been promised for years. I just hope it lasts.

1/22/2013 It looks like things are holding up now. For the sake of those who are still suffering with slow speeds, I will update my rating with the same voracity and tenacity that was applied to correcting the speed issues. That said, Windstream should check back in about 6 months, it should be a positive rating by then. (Everyone else... I might get to it by about 2017...shhh!!!)

9/29/2013 - The speeds are still holding steady, but living each day with a feeling of impending doom is not good. The instant I see a drop in speed, or the day I move will be my last day dealing with Windstream. Do not make the mistake that so many others of us have made. I can assure you that you will eventually regret it.

Comments:
TechsMex

join:2011-09-21
West Palm Beach, FL

Downgrade to 6mbps

You would be better off downgrading to 6mbps until the overutilization issue can be resolved at the 12mbps level.
athensgator

join:2011-10-17

Re: Downgrade to 6mbps

I have had the exact same issue and finally today got them to drop me down to 6MB. Unfortunately it won't be done till Monday and I will be out of town all week next week so I won't know if it is better until Friday.

Re: Downgrade to 6mbps

Just make sure to check you bill next month. We asked for a change in service on the phone end due to some quality issues and found a somewhat cryptic additional charge on the bill. Only after calling customer service to contest the added charge did we find out that they charged the additional amount because we asked for a change in service (which we were told was to be gratis).

sgt

isp failure

I would like to know what is wrong with Windstream Nation Wide. Why have the lines all become so congested so that no one has any consistent speeds, and are always dropping. My service only works early in the morning. I was told that Windstream oversold in my area, causing bottle necks and serious slows. I have also been told for months that it is being looked into, but I dont think it is since it is still not fixed. What is the deal behind all of this. Over selling, not repairing, all accross the US.

Speedtest up or down.

Sept 2012 - Right now my speed test results are either right at or around 12Mbps on about 10% of the tests that I run. The other 90% start out looking to be 11-12Mbps, but then stop and never finish, which seems typical of my connection as of late. It's like being on I-88 west out of Chicago with a toll booth every 10 miles. Go...go...stop...wait...go...stop...wait...go...stop...etc...
The speed test app on the Ipod consistently shows about 2-3Mbps.

Ipod

Don't bother trying to update the OS on a mobile device, at least not on my connection. While it runs anywhere from 8-12 Mbps now when I do a speed test, it is still plagued by connection drops that will kill a download for any big file, or if using a VPN connection.

I hate you Windstream.

Re: Ipod

OK,

I had a problem with my DSL router that had it rebooting every 10-30 min, so it was giving me grief. Called Windstream and they got me a new router, and things are looking up. I'm getting upwards of 12 Mbps as advertised...finally. Unless things change, I'm going change my overall demeanor towards Windstream from extremely annoyed, to mildly grumpy. As time passes, I may even become an indifferent customer. I don't hate you as bad now.

Router

The new router doesn't reboot, but I'm once again back to square one, and extremely annoyed again...

Re: Router

10/13/2012 17:30 - It's a festivus miracle. I have had a stable VPN connection for more than 5 minutes. Congratulations are sincerely due in finally meeting customer expectations. I just hope that it will last. And the speed test actually is 12Mbps, on a Saturday afternoon. Back to moderately grumpy for me!!! Couldn't agree more with the Speedtest results. A solid D+ performance.

Re: Router

10/30/2012 16:49 - Tadaaaa Widndstream has managed to make the internet disappear, reappear, and disappear! So much for a stable VPN connection for longer than about a minute. Back to hate.

Somehow they are still holding on to that 2 star rating?!

Another Festivus miracle...

and at 8:15 in the evening too.
JWNelson

join:2011-09-01
Columbia, MO
·Charter

Distance?

Just a guess - you may be at a distance from the Auburn telephone switching office or DSLAM where 12 Mbps is possible, but fringe. The connection will drop frequently when that's the case, and then the modem and/or DSLAM port may reduce the attempted connection speed to try to get a more stable connection. I had this happen with CenturyLink in Omaha and lowering by one tier made all the difference.
weaseman

join:2013-01-24
Fort White, FL

Windstream allocating data

Windstream is currently being investigated for allocating data in my area by the FCC and there not even aware of the ongoing investigation that is 2 days for concluding . So in part there will be something fixed in my area soon.

Re: Windstream allocating data

It's about *}!*| time that the FCC got involved.

Review by totalradio See Profile

• Location: Crossett,Ashley,AR
Good "Local field techs know their equipment & their network. Great guys."
Bad "Tech support/customer service is HORRIBLE ! Won't deliver on what they said they would"
Overall "God help you if you need support"

09/27/2013

Well, the truck roll is complete and most everything is working again. However, when they changed my speed, they knocked me down to a dynamic IP. I can't work that way, but I was able to get someone in the business office (that was competent) and they are going to change it back to static. Local grunts (field techs) are very good, and know their equipment and their network.

Can't say that about the tier 1 support. They are very incompetent and need MUCH more training on their product and how they deal with the public. I won't bump up their review until Windstream can show me they can handle simple orders.

09/26/2013

Like I've said before, if you need support, God help you. Wanted to upgrade my speed (from 3 to 12). Placed the order on Friday 09/20. The upgrade was going to take place on 09/26. Fine with me.

09/26 comes and at 2:15pm, I lose my sync and the service goes down. Being a retired telephone employee, I know the circuit has got to come down for the re-provisioning of the circuit. A job that should only take no more than 15 minutes. After 2 hours down, the circuit is still down. So I call tech support (ugh).

The lady that answers is completely clueless (where do they get these people ?) So they transfer me to Tier 2 support. OK with me, that's what I wanted in the first place.

Darren answers the phone and sees where the work was completed at 3pm and sees that everything is "normal". Except my DSL is still down. Gotta have a truck roll to fix the damn thing. That's supposed to happen sometime between 1-5 on Friday 09/27. Since I work from home nowdays, most of my work is at night and now I lose money because of their incompetence. A simple upgrade in the soft switch is all they have to do, and Windstream screws that up.

I'll update Friday after the "truck roll". If they don't fix it, I'll tell them to leave it down and I'm done with Windstream. I do have a choice with the cable company for internet. If you have a choice for internet, DON'T GET WINDSTREAM ! They can't even get a simple service order right, just imagine if you need them for support what a hassle you're going to have.

Its become quite obvious to me that Windstream is an incompetent company who can screw up a wet dream !

UPDATE 07/26/2013 - 7:39PM (CT)

As I suspected, my static IP is STILL not working as was told to me earlier that it would be (basically lied to). Called tech support (what a joke), since I cannot find the WS people who hang out here and TS says that it would be 5-7 days before it would be working (their automated system says that my order is completed...lie #2). Victor in retention placed the order on Wednesday (07/24) and he ASSURED me that it would be worked by the 26th. Aaron (a "specialist") reached out to me and told me that I should "reach out to him should I have problems". Well I tried to reach out to Victor & Aaron, both apparently do not want to help me with my "problem".

Whatever you do, DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH WINDSTREAM !!! The Windstream trolls (that hang out here on BBR) who are supposed to work for them do not want to help, only to look like they want to help, so they can avoid the bad press they seem to be receiving (and they're about to get more bad press, thanks to my friends in the media in Little Rock). Their only job is to lie to customers and not provide the service they "offer". Do not put ANY trust in ANYONE (from Windstream) on this forum who says they will be willing to help (Aaron, Victor...are you listening? I'm referring to YOU, but I doubt you care since your attitude is just a reflection of what management wants).

UPDATE 07/26/2013 - 1:45PM (CT)

Decided to downgrade Windstream. As far as the connection is concerned, it has been flawless, but that's where it ends. Placed an order for a simple static IP for my business. WS told me that it would be done on Friday (07/26), but as of this writing, that ship has sailed and I still do not have a static IP, as I was told I would have. Further indication by Windstream's automated system says that my static IP order has been completed, but I know that's a lie as my IP is still changing. WS says that it should be enabled by 7:00pm Friday (07/26), which I believe is also a lie. Two WS employees indicated that if I needed further help, just let them know. Been trying to reach out to both of them all afternoon, neither of them can be found (like they fell off the earth)

Since my business is time-critical (sensitive), I thought I could depend on Windstream to provide me with simple services. Since they can't (or won't), I'll call the cable company ASAP. At least they have assured me that they can provide me with simple services without the run around or the lies.

member for 6.8 years, 1984 visits, last login: 5 days ago

Comments:

mjhughes73

@myvzw.com

Windstream is the worst phone/DSL provider

I live in the North Georgia mountains and only have one phone and DSL provider available, Windstream. Since they have a monopoly in the area, I am forced to deal with them. I recently moved and needed to move my line to my new location. The service reps stated that it would take 7 days to disconnect my line at the old home and reconnect it at my new home. They disconnected the line from the old home in a few hours and have not connected the line at the new home in the past 5 days. Now I have now phone or connection and cannot work from home or receive any faxes until maybe 2 days from now.
kpatt2006

join:2012-08-14
Greensburg, KY

haha..

don't get too far ahead of yourself... only with Windstream for 3 months? Give it some time. They'll make you regret saying anything good about them.
SynMonger

join:2012-07-04
Thornton, AR

Windstream never comes through

If we had an alternative in this area, we'd take it in a heartbeat. The options are actual dialup, satellite, or windstream's poor excuse for DSL. We've been waiting for two years for a fix and I suspect we'll be waiting a decade more. We were told it would be resolved by July 31st. For real, this time. It isn't. Shocker.

Current speed on our supposedly 3Mb/768k DSL:

Re: Windstream never comes through

Knowing the area of Thornton like I do (I grew up on a small farm just north of town), my guess is that the entire town is either CO fed from Fordyce, or a RT in Thornton itself. To see that Thornton even HAS DSL is impressive. Probably the DSLAM is overloaded or your buried cable is quite old, or both. Windstream has obviously lied to you too, but I'll send you an IM with an email address and you can see how that works out.
kpatt2006

join:2012-08-14
Greensburg, KY
·Windstream
The oversold "latency outage" in my area started November 2010. I couldn't begin to count how many promises Windstream has made saying when the equipment is going to be upgraded and fixed. It kept getting pushed back, of course. The latest news that a rep finally told me was basically, never. At least not for the foreseeable future. So they continue to mail people offers of DSL bundles, knowing they're not even providing their current customers what they are paying for. The BBB nor FCC would do anything about it, except write a written letter to the head Windstream offices then relay me the response of Windstream saying sorry for your inconvenience. Suppose to be on 3.0 MBPS.. This speedtest is actually a little higher than usual hahha..

Atekido

join:2002-08-25
Crossett, AR
speed test Atlanta georgia. most of WS connection in Arkansas routing goes to Atlanta before it goes anywhere else it actually goes to Atlanta and then Dallas and then Little rock from routing tables i have looked at.

wartree

@mycingular.net
I'm in the same boat in Vilonia. I've called every month the past 5 months we've lived there because I have yet to see 3mb. This last month the tech told me upgrades were coming by July 30th. Nothing has changed. I called yesterday and the tech told me the date was still in there and it said 99% complete. Yeah, right.... I know there are two T3's that feed the whole town and everyone is sharing a part of those 3mb lines. They have massively oversold their bandwidth. The tech said there were 77 people sharing the line I'm on. That's ridiculous!

I transferred to billing and told them I wasn't paying my full bill when I'm only receiving less than a 1/3 of the bandwidth I was promised. The lady told me when you sign up for their service you agree to pay for "up to 3mb", with "up to" being the keyword. She did give me a $50 credit but next month it will be right back to the full amount. If we didn't use so much Netflix and streaming content instead of paying for satellite TV I would switch to satellite internet.

NonyoBiz

My review of windstream

Talk about horrible internet
have you heard of windstream wanna bet
They'll take yo whole check and leave you on dial up
customers riled up
complaints pile up
From the floor to a mile up
because of negligence, incompetence, it makes no sense
that every time I do a speed test, at best, I get less
than yesterday
Why don't I get the speed I pay... fao (for)
aint that against the law?
aint it called fraud when you cheat me out what I bought?
I'm applaud at your fist and second clause
in yo TOS. I expect nothing less than the very very best
But what I get?
No respect!
Internet no connect!
Indian customer service in effect
Speed test said in jest as routers reset

And every time I call, all you do is stall
I want half off if you got-the-gaul
Screw all yall!
Eat this law suit, like soup, I hope you sip it through a straw!
cripple this company like a lion with his claws
around a gazelle
Not to yell but yo company fails!
How you make a sell? You should be like Dell!
Out of business
Every single witness
on your message boards gives a negative review
And b**** so do I. I'm through!
Enix

I love it.

signed up for 12Mbps ... getting less than one

See:
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/2896471748

I was getting ~2Mbps regularly until last week, when my modem died and the rate then fell even more to 1+ as the tests indicate.
"Latency. Documented. Cannot do a thing..." - Windstream tech chat
Somehow magic latency is killing throughput? Not.

Re: signed up for 12Mbps ... getting less than one

I signed up as I also only had one choice, Windstream. 4 ISPs in this town and only Windstream serves my area, about 1.4 mile from where the other 3 stop. Finally had Sat installed so at least I could have internet but can't use it for work, wife and I both work from home since we are disabled. I did have half internet that would work and was stable till got noise on both phone lines. After they tried fixing the noise and the speed dropped even lower. Now I am getting the modem drop at least 12 times a day. So much for working and they wanted me to switch to a business account, Yea Right. If they can't provide a decent residential line how are they going to provide a business line that is more expensive.

Re: signed up for 12Mbps ... getting less than one

Windstream finally did a truck roll, and the tech verified quality back to the local serving office equipment. He then verified the buried line from the overhead to my 'demarc' box on the side of the house.
They can check line quality and power, essentially plugging in a tester that sends DSL stuff back and forth.
I would suggest that if you have phone line noise, pursue that as it is 'covered' by the fact that Windstream gets Federal {yours and mine, not really theirs} dollars to serve rural areas. So, they respond more to noise on the lines than DSL, it seems.
In most cases, you get noise, IMO, from corroded connections, ant-infested boxes, or punctured underground lines that have gotten waterlogged. The copper lines them self do NOT degrade with age to my knowledge. Their interconnection may, more readily.
Sorry about your service condition. Mine has been a lot better, with only a few occasions where it has dropped service.
The modem has been up for 665 hours, about 27 days. SNR 13.5-14 atten 36.5 with very few errors.
The log shows that the DSL was last bounced around midnight 9/26, but I don't think I was using it at the time. I think there has been one or two other interruptions, but I have not kept track of them.

Re: signed up for 12Mbps ... getting less than one

the field techs were able to verify that the noise and dsl was great to within 1500m feet of me. At 1500 feet away the pedestal has clear phone and 3Mbps download speeds. 500 feet to the next pedestal the phone had noise on the line and dsl dropped to 1023 kbps. the next pedestal 500 feet away had noise on the phone and 1023 kbps dsl download. then is mine. phone has noise and 1023 kbps dsl download. They decided that the line was bad between the pedestal 1500 feet away and the one 500 feet from it. Now it is up to the area manager to find the money (what I was told by the field techs) to replace the busied line. That was over 3 months ago. Modem is rebooting on its own avg. 12 times a day and the phone is same as unusable on local calls cause you never know when the conversation will be drowned out with the noise. Calling in does not do any good as there is still an open ticket and I am told it will not do any good to send anyone out since we still have this open ticket.

Re: signed up for 12Mbps ... getting less than one

Go buy yourself 510 feet of twisted pair. Call the tech and have her/him connect the two pedestals using your wire....
They have water intrusion and should rip out the buried cable.
I make the assumption that it is buried because of the use of pedestals.
Other than that, they CAN find the spot where the problem is by using a device that see/hears tones they put on the wires. The signal will be modified {being nice} where the problem exists. In a lot of cases they can dig up buried cable, and splice it to work almost as good as un-spliced. They can do the same with overhead.
I don't know how many wires are in the cable, but another alternative, if there are spares, is to switch your traffic to an unused pair. Again, I don't know specifics.
Either option should not be significant in their budget, and if neither is applicable, then I guess, I'd be on the phone to my local PUC lodging a complaint that telco service is bad, and you could not even use the phone to call an emergency team.
Local officials don't seem to have clout, but state PUC {public utilities commission} seem to. They are the folks who authorize rate changes, and what products are allowed to be sold by the telco.

Re: signed up for 12Mbps ... getting less than one

The biggest problem with Windstream is they can't afford to make too many changes (replace cable, install new DSLAMS, etc.). They are deep into debt by taking over smaller operations. The infrastructure was shoddy when they bought the smaller companies and they can't afford to upgrade them unless they absolutely have to.

As far as telephone service, your state PSC (or PUC in some states) will be able to do something. Telephone service is still a regulated product in most states, unlike DSL, which is un-regulated. However, if you feel that Windstream is misrepresenting its product (which they probably are), then a call to the Federal Trade Commission would be in order. The FTC regulates advertising (in any form), so I'm quite sure if the FTC gets enough complaints, they will tell Windstream to stop deceptive advertising.

Re: signed up for 12Mbps ... getting less than one

The area manager stated he wasn't going to replace a line for one customer. In fact it is 3 but they still will not fix it. I offered to pay for overhead line between the pedestals but no dice. Techs will not do anything. The last trip out they were supposed to replace my modem do to the 12+ reboots it was doing each day. No they said that would not fix the problem. In frustration I dug out the original modem and hooked it up. Now the modem stays connected for a few days before it reboots. When it does go down it goes through e cycles of up and back down before it stays but it is a lot better than what I was getting. Still have bad speeds but at least it i9s working better no thanks to the techs this time.