Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by tbrauch See Profile

• Location: Winston Salem,Forsyth,NC
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Sometimes I can even access the internet."
Bad "34 days to install inconsistent service."
Overall "If you have a choice, make a different one."

It took 3 phones calls and 34 days to finally get DSL at my apartment. No equipment or location problems, I guess they just lost my order, twice. When I finally got it installed, I lose my connection every time it rains, which it has done a lot in the last 10 months. Even when it is clear and sunny outside, I get disconnected at random. Sometimes I can stay connected for a week, sometimes for a few hours. (I know subscribe to monitoring service at dslreports, maybe someone will believe me) Usually, after being disconnected, it takes me 5 minutes to reconnect, but often enough, it takes 20 minutes or longer. I have had techs out to check my lines on a couple different occasions, all the time while it was sunny. They don't find a problem. Yet, when it rains I lose my connection and call to complain. Yep, the person I'm talking to can't get a DSL signal on my line so they'll send someone out to look at it the next day. Of course, it works by that time. I've give up calling them every other day when it goes out for a few hours because of the rain. I know they can't/won't do anything about it.

Sure, I'll admit it was pretty easy to set up. Well, it took awhile because it was raining when I tried to set it up the first time so I didn't have a DSL signal. But once it quit raining, it didn't take anything. Well, the software that came with it isn't so good. It could have been better written and have allowed you to skip some of the rediculous cartoons (I write software occasionally for a living and I know a little something about computers). I actually had to uninstall the software they gave me because it kept crashing my computer, everytime I got randomly disconnected my computer would freeze. Not to mention PPPoE is a horrible standard to use in the first place. I mean, sure it makes it nice and easy on the server side, but on the user side, it bogs down computers and wastes CPU cycles. It is also hard to configure and maintain for the user. But hey, the server and the company running the server, their job is easy and that's all that matters, right?

Oh, and the modem I got, the SpeedStream 5200, be careful with it. I've got a digital thermometer that measures up to 120ºF. Often times, the modem runs hotter than that and the thermometer registers error. Once when I was moving it, it was so hot, it was quite uncomfortable to handle. There is no fan in the modem, or at least mine is so quiet I don't think there is one in there.

Comments:

Review by sixtires58 See Profile

• Location: Brooks,Bullitt,KY
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Easy installation & setup, was turned up when they said it would be."
Bad "Has not worked since February 8th 2003, currently going into month 2"
Overall "Support is terrible, they say they fix the problem, then close the ticket--HAH!"

My saga began back in mid-January when I finally discovered Alltel DSL was available at my home. I signed up and in about 3 days, received a package in the mail with the modem, cables and installation CD. The installation went perfectly and I was online in about 30 minutes. Decent speeds too. I was getting around 610/104 (I signed up for tier one). Dynamic IP address, but that was okay. I'm running an older Pentium 366 with a 3com 3c509 nic into a Speedstream router.

Then, on Saturday, February 8th, my phones mysteriously went out. I called Alltel and they said it was a service-wide outage that had affected several hundred customers and that "parts" had been ordered. At that moment, the DSL still worked. It died around 2 hours later. Now I'm completely cut off.

On Monday, February 10th, the phones came back on. When I tried the DSL, it was terrible. Email would not send. I could no longer dial into my VPN at the office. I ran some ping tests and found that my line failed due to more pings received, than sent! (1990% back). This was typical no matter when the tests were run. Also, my speeds dropped to around 200/15. Nearly unusable. It works for surfing the net, but that's about it.

I contacted Alltel DSL support. They accused me of changing something in my house--no matter the problem didn't happen until the phones went out and they "fixed" something. They had me switch computers, cables, unplug all the phones, blah blah blah. Finally, I found a supervisor who said that they had found a bad shelf in the DSLAM and it would be replaced. Bear in mind, this has been going on for over two months. I'll call, they engineers would do some little thing on their end, declare it fixed, then close the ticket. Then, it would be up to me to call back and complain again. Supposedly, they fixed the DSLAM problem, then called to announce, once again, the problem is fixed and they have closed the ticket. Well, it's not fixed. When I called support again, the technician couldn't believe it, but said that they had moved me to a tier 2 port on the DSLAM to maybe try and get me some more speed. But, they've not fixed any problem to date.

I'm extremely frustrated. At this date (3-21-03), it's still not fixed. Plus, because of the DSL noise on the line, my dialup modem barely works anymore. So now I can't FTP or VPN.

If it weren't for the fact that when I first got the service, it was very good, I'd cancel this contract.

Here are the results of ONE of my tests:

»/quality/nil/1003793

• Location: Madison,Lake,OH
  • Telco party AllTel

In this report, I will lay out in a factual manner, what a tremendously
horrendous experience I've had with AllTel DSL. I hope that this
report will influence any potential subscribers.

Starting at the beginning of Sept. 2002, I originally called AllTel DSL
to set up an account. I gave them all relevant information, and asked
them how long it would take to set up. I was told "10 days to 2 weeks".
That being said, I went ahead and informed my current ISP that I would
be ending my 6 1/2 year relationship with them at the end of the month.
After 10 days went by, and having heard nothing, I contacted AllTel
again. I was told that I should wait 10 WORKING days, and call back
again. After the prescribed time, I again called. I was assured that
"sometimes these things just take a bit more time, and that I shouldn't
worry. Why don't you wait the full 2 weeks and call back again if you've
not heard from us." Well, after the full 2 weeks passed, and having
heard nothing, I called and asked to speak to a supervisor, as I was
tired of getting the run-around. The supervisor gave me some grave
news. She saw that I'd called to set up the account, but said that the
original CSR had not gotten all the necessary information, and thus
my local AllTel DSL dept. couldn't proceed with my installation. To add
insult to injury, they had my first name totally incorrect ... it wasn't
even close. She told me that she would personally correct these
oversights, and get my installation completed by the end of the month.
In short, it didn't happen. I had to use ALLTEL's Dial-up (56K) for
what was supposed to be 3 or 4 days. Finally, the day came when my
DSL connection was to be activated. I came home from work, and tried
to connect. It was NOT working. I called AllTel's DSL support and got
some gal who's sum of IT training appeared to be whatever she could
read off a sheet of paper in front of her. She actually had me delete
my entire network settings (fortunately, I was able to restore all
settings by going back to a previously saved registry). The problem
turned out to be with my local Central Office. So, I had to wait
another day. The next day, the DSL connection finally worked.

HOWEVER, the way that AllTel has you "logon" is with a "Tango PPPoE
logon manager". This crappy software turned out to be terrible.
It interfered with any other piece of software I would run, whether it
was an APP., like WORD, or (worse) a game, like Quake. The Tango Mgr.
would cause the system to 'blink' every 45 seconds, during which time
I had no control over whatever I was using. Ever tried to play Quake
or Links Golf and have the system FREEZE every 45 seconds? Can't really
play now, can you. Well, I called Alltel Tech support, and explained
the problem. After talking to several "tier one" level trainees, I asked
for a supervisor and finally got someone who understood the problem. Their
solution was for me to download a very old connection manager called
Enternet 300. This stopped the freezes, but had problems of its own.
I finally solved the problem by installing a Linksys Router, which has
its own PPPoE manager built in. My other systems, which run Windows
XP did not have the problem, since XP has its own PPPoE manager.

The next thing I discovered was that AllTel's Newsgroup server has a
MISERABLE completion and retention rate. My former ISP used
SuperNews (Remarq) as its newsgroup server. I don't know who AllTel
uses, but its about as bad as it gets. I sent emails to their
customer support. Again, it took several emails before I finally got
through to someone who actually understood the problem. I even sent
them "screen captures", showing an example of the files available,
and the files completed in a typical "binary" newsgroup. In the same
group, and on the same day, the AllTel group showed about 30 files
(mp3s), and NONE of them were complete, so NONE could be downloaded.
(I use Forte's Agent, one of the best newsgroup clients available).
I also sent them a capture from another newsgroup server, one I have
to PAY for monthly, in order to get complete posts. For the same
newsgroup, there were 3000 files, and ALL of them were complete!
When I pointed this out to this "knowledgeable" AllTel customer support
person, they said that they would contact their Newsgroup provider
and see what could be done. That was over 2 months ago! You'd think
that they could figure out that their server was just no good. Nope!
They probably just hoped that by sloughing me off, I'd go away and
forget about their lousy service. To this day, when I TRY to use the
AllTel newsgroups, I always find the same thing: most of the posts
are missing, and in the case of binaries (like music, pictures, etc.)
NOTHING is downloadable, because parts are missing. As I said, their
COMPLETION and RETENTION rates are the pits!

I cannot recommend AllTel DSL. The speed is about 1/3 of what a friend
of mine gets on cable. The Customer Support is a joke, since no one
there seems to be very knowledgeable. On top of everything else, I was
supposed to get "Free installation, and Free modem, and 1st 2 months of
service Free". Guess what? My first bill was for over $300 ! They
charged me for everything! I had to get on the phone and spend several
days before I finally got through to a supervisor who could address
the problem.

AllTel DSL ... ONE HUGE NIGHTMARE! And I'm stuck with it for a year!
Don't make the same mistake!

Bill

(review was emailed from domain alltel.net)

Comments:

Review by blessed_1 See Profile

• Location: Indian Trail,Union,NC
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "customer service was friendly"
Bad "sloppy order process"
Overall "need more knowledge of service"

I just moved to the Indial Trail area and was looking into ADSL options.Since Alltel was the only dsl provider in my area I chose them...the phone number that they had given first when I had moved had a "Problem with it"so the dsl order I had placed initially got screwed up somehow then I placed a second order and because the first order was screwed up the second order got delayed and then never acknowledged..so then I placed a third order and was told that it was going to be rushed through and my line be tested...So today which is Wednesday which I was told to call back and see if my line qualifies which now of course it does not so I am temporarily stuck in the dialup realm...Alltel thank you for the three week wait and failure to produce results...I am a 5ESS switch analyst the company I work for which I will not mention has a lot better turnaround time and better knowledge in terms of availability than you do..And do not tell a customer that his line prequalifies when it really does not almost all providers are guilty of this...

member for 11.6 years, 42 visits, last login: 11.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by kingdome740 See Profile

• Location: Central Square,Oswego,NY
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Tech tries to be helpful"
Bad "Very consistent speeds"
Overall "Not bad."

No comment.

member for 12.7 years, 1302 visits, last login: 10.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by dietz_j See Profile

• Location: Nebraska City,Otoe,NE
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Nice people in local office."
Bad "Had to have the router replaced three times. Had to disconnect phones in my home."
Overall "Don't use it for mission critical stuff."

I am currently using a static IP system with NAT here. ALLTEL upgraded my speed to 768/125. It runs really fast. Right now, it is for the most part, quite reliable. It is a little bit on the pricy side, but it seems to be working, after I got all the connection problems taken care of.

member for 13.6 years, 122 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by Stonewall5 See Profile

• Location: Thomaston,Upson,GA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "They bill you on time"
Bad "They bill you for 100% when you are getting 10% service"
Overall "Stay with dial-up or off the internet if you have to use them in GA"

Read the post from me, I don't have time to retype all the crappy information about a worthless provider.

member for 13.4 years, 142 visits, last login: 9.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by Frylock2 See Profile

• Location: Versailles,Woodford,KY
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "About three dollars cheaper than my old Verizon DSL account"
Bad "Setup took 11 days, I have 100+ pings to EVERYTHING"
Overall "Good for surfing, even good for downloading, ATROCIOUS for gaming with HORRIBLE pings"

A little background: I started using DSL with Verizon. Their service was excellent. I rarely had downtime and since I was a gamer, I was happy with the pings they delivered to me. I remember getting at most 80 ping to many of the servers out there. Then Verizon closed shop in Kentucky with their Internet service, and Alltel comes in. After getting numerous letters about switching, I did so. Granted, I did it about 2 days before the cut-off date, but I still switched to Alltel. Then the next day, one day before the cut-off date, my DSL goes completely dead. After calling tech support, they tell me I have to sign up for Alltel, even though I already did. Then 11 days later... I have my DSL. Now what I want explained and rectified is how they managed to make me ping 100+ to most servers using the EXACT same lines Verizon did. I get my full 80 KB/sec downloads (768/128), but my ping is just horrible. I can't even be competitive with that kind of ping. I'm seriously looking into faster, more stable, and better pinging ISP's.

member for 12.5 years, 735 visits, last login: 8.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by bmarlin2002 See Profile

• Location: Nicholasville,Jessamine,KY
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "They can enter the information in for the correct Billing"
Bad "Almost a month to figure out service was not even hooked up"
Overall "No wonder DSL providers are going under"

I just bought a new home and after a year of waiting I qualified for DSL!! I spoke with the salesperson and the assured me in the next week they would have my phone in and the line tested. They actually arrived early and the gentleman who did this and got my DSL line test was great. This is when everything went downhill! The sales person told me, "hey for $10 more a month you can go to Tier II". I was currently looking at Tier I at $49.99 760k down 128k up the Tier two was double both so of course I said yes. Well the due date came and which was Oct.9 and what do you know no service. After harrasing them for almost 2 straight weeks they finally got the service on Oct. 21st but the speed was at Tier I. I also found out from the tech who fixed my line they never set my DSL up all the way to begin with. However 2 contracts and a bill where at my house already for all of this. I proceeded to call about why I was only getting 1/2 my speed and of course the DSL department was closed and they techs could not fix it. So I called the next day and was told it would be a week for this to be put in. I told them I ordered this originally and that I wanted it now. So they pushed for the order to go in and then told me the cost was $109 a month. Come to find out the original sales person did not tell me that the internet connection was to double with this tier II. The one thing that stays constant and they wanted to charge double. Well after dealing with Alltel for a month and me doing all the legwork to get this up I decided to go to Iglou who charges a flat rate of $20 for internet connection. The rest I still have to pay to Alltel for the line. For a new company taking over they sure are burning some bridges. The fact that they want to charge double for the internet connection blows me away considering it does not change only the line speed.

Comments:

Review by babydaddy See Profile

• Location: Elyria,Lorain,OH
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "The Tech Support Lady is nice"
Bad "High Pings, High Packet Loss, Wrong info, Wrong "due date""
Overall "Stick with 56k!"

After being FIRST told the wrong phone number, I decided to go with DSL. I had cable but then didn't want to pay the extra for the TV too. BIG MISTAKE.

I was told I would have DSL on Nov. 4th. I got it on the 6th. I ordered DSL on Oct 15th. So it is finally turned on, and I go to start downloading things......

Max download speed I've seen so far is 37k/sec. The only problem with that is my line is supposed to be 1536/256.

So I come to DSLreports to benchmark my line speed. The results from NJ server are.....340/20. Even the test said it was very slow.....

So I call, for the 3rd time, and they finally say there is a problem. Hopefully it'll finally be fixed....

As for my $45 a month 56k connection.............