Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by intekredneck See Profile

• Location: Bolivar,Polk,MO
Good "I can't think of any"
Bad "Tech Support, Plant Signal, Service's "
Overall "I can't wait till google fiber runs this sorry excuse for a provider off the map. "

Lets begin with I’m a true blue cable customer and was one of the original beta testers back in 1998 when Charter launched modem service in Baraboo Wi, my speeds then were 1.5 down, 512 up. Of course as technology changed so did my service package and until recently where I relocated to Bolivar Mo. I had 100 meg down & 10 up for the past year and half, also with that I had 3 DVR’s and a host of channels for roughly 160 a month.

Last month I move here to find out windstream is the only option, the fastest service they offer is 12 meg down and 512 up, which I have yet to see, cost 44.00 + 5 for max speed, according to them I also have to have their phone for DSL, add another 35.00 plus taxes and fees.

I could care less about TV, anything I do I do over the Roku or the Xbox but the kids like Disney and ABC so I get there basic cable package 35.00 plus tax .. When I ordered all this I asked the women what would the total cost per month be? I’m quoted 120.00 plus tax, I made this order on the 31st of July and it couldn’t be installed till Aug 8th .. I was blown at that, however I’m a network engineer my system rivals most small businesses, I used to work for Charter so I rewired the entire house in Cat and Cable, activated the cable part of the service, put my DSAM on this 17- 4 tap and it was sitting at positive 2 on 266 MHZ, pulled out my systems bag walked the plant down to the amp where I found a suck out on the feed leg of the amp, fixed that and all my neighbors all the way down the line to make sure we didn’t have any ingress or egress, put the dsam on my tap .. wholla positive 14 DBMV ..

Now comes the 8th, early in the morning my phone has dial tone and I thought, let’s see if we can get this modem provisioned, nothing, tried at noon, nothing, so I call their customer service who says I have to wait till 5 pm the order isn’t complete yet. 6 pm comes around same shit, get on the phone and 2 hours later they figured out there was never an internet package created for me.

I have never in my life (and I’ve seen some stupid CSR’s } seen a company so ass incompetent.

Today I receive a bill for 186.00 and they had the nerve to charge me an activation fee of $60.00 for the cable after I fixed the entire block.

I am amazed a real company hasn’t come in here and wipe this company off the map and they’d have no one to blame but themselves.

Tomorrow should be a fun day when I go in to dispute this bill.

Hopefully this helps

member for 1.1 years, 5 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:
Blyhill

join:2013-08-26
Ashville, NY

Western NY Windstream DSL

Paying for 3Mbps getting less than 1Mbps. Called and complained many +20 times in the last three years. Filed complaint with State District Attorneys office still waiting. Unfortunately for me no other option other than Dish. I would consider Dish but it snows and rains often in Western New York causing many interruptions with Dish service. My 3g cellular service on my smart for is as good as it gets here.
intekredneck

join:2013-08-21

Re: Western NY Windstream DSL

I hear yea, if verison was a little more lenient with the bandwidth allocation, I would consider going completely with a wireless connection. But there is no way with the size of my network I could do that.
kpatt2006

join:2012-08-14
Greensburg, KY
·Windstream

hard to believe windstream still exists

This is my speed as of right now with no other programs running at all, nor any other browser tabs. This has been my speeds during the day since November 2011 when they finally admitted my area was oversold and is in a "latency outage". After countless calls to windstream, emails/ calls to the BBB, emails to the FCC, the only thing that was accomplished was $10 off my monthly bill for 1 year only. WOW. They kept lying about the upgrade progress as well. The date, of course, kept getting pushed back and back. Latest news, the equipment is not scheduled to be upgraded in my area this year, better luck next year. Funny though, they still keep sending my neighbors and older folks that don't use computers, flyers in the mail wanting them to sign up for Windstream "High Speed" Internet! Blows my mind that a company like this can just run wild and do whatever without any repercussions.

wallenator

@oanet.com

I feel for you.

You are 100% on the mark when you call Windstream incompetent. I will go out on a limb and call them downright thieves. Once you get your DSL installed, don't count on getting the speed you paid for. We finally got another option in our area other than Windstream and I jumped ship as quick as I could.

Review by Dr Digital See Profile

• Location: New Virginia,Warren,IA
Good "The information is out there for the customer to find on their own and try and fix their problems."
Bad "Not enough space to write in. If you have an option RUN! Avoid calling tech support or customer service."
Overall "Avoid any humans that work for this company! If a human touches your account they will mess it up and won't fix it. "

What I am trying to have done by current Tier 1.5 Tech A****:

If A**** would pay attention, he/she would see what the issue is and correct it like every other Tier 2 Tech has done WHEN THEY (NOT ME....) MAKE CHANGES ON MY DSL ACCOUNT.

Iowa Telecom 1.5mbps Plan: (I'm grandfathered in and pay for) - Provisioning 1920 download and 960 upload
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/2737482997

Windstream 1.5mbps Plan: (What they have me provisioned for!) Provisioning 1536 download and 368 upload
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/2900155652

"If any changes are made to your DSL account you may run into the same issue. Just contact us here with DSLReports if it happens again."
M***** B.

What A**** WON'T DO:
M***** B.
Broadband Tier II

I WOULD 100% agree with totalradio's review of Windtsream. M******, L****** and others in Tier 2 Tech support in past have NEVER had a problem helping fix my unique situation on my dsl account here on dslreports. This was before the current situation (same thing every other Tier 2 Tech fixed except A****) and person -A**** with this so called company called Windstream. However, the new person called -A**** is a complete joke and complete waste of time. It used to be different going through DSLReports to receive help. Now it is no different than the regular tech support for Windstream anyway. -A**** should not be in Tier 2 Tech support. This is somewhat my response to this so called tech support. I have changed some things for this review.

Whatever, seriously! You and your company are a joke. I PAY FOR 1.5mbps not 1.2 or anything else. THE 1.2 WOULD BE ACCEPTABLE IF I WAS ON A 1.5 MBPS WINDSTREAM PLAN. I'M NOT. I AM GRANDFATHERED INTO THE IOWA TELECOM 1.5mbps plan which is provisioned at 1.9mbps not 1.5mbps like the current 1.5mbps Windstream plan!!!!! Are you really that ignorant? I could care less what the WINDSTREAM PLANS are I am paying and should be provisioned for the grandfathered IOWA TELECOM plan I am billed for for three years now which you stated is 1.9mbps download and .80 upload. PROVISIONED. Doesn't mean I will get. But, when you provision me for the WINDSTREAM 1.5mbps you already know I won't get that. 60% rule. Do the math!!!! Seriously, and you are in tech support. YOUR COMPANY EVEN RECEIVED TAX PAYER DOLLARS AND STILMULUS MONEY. You all keep up this kind of support and customer service and your job will dry up. Seriously, remember I told you that. I will pray for you! Companies like the one you so eagerly work for will soon be a thing of the past treating loyal customers like this. So what is the difference between the 1.5 Iowa Telecom Plan and the 1.5 Windstream plan? Explain please!!!! I know one is provisioned at 1.5mbps and the other 1.9mbps. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see which one will get closer to the 1.5mbps I am paying for applying the 60% rule Windstream uses. According to you. Then the FREE INTERNET UPGRADE OFFER is a joke and a scam too. The ripping off of customers and the treatment and lies you tell will catch up with you all. Windstream may have a monopoly now. But the first step was getting higher speeds here (which are now available in my area and this is how I know it's provisioning NOT EQUIPMENT) and then competition. Google, Facebook, and Microsoft all have or will have data centers in Iowa. Therefore alot of internet traffic will flow through IOWA and then cause competition to come here. When that happens you better believe I will drop my service faster than the phone will dial the cancellation department. A**** Tier -1.50 Tech /WINDSTREAM

Earlier reply from 2012 when situation was fixed before by another tech.
**************
Sorry about the delay in our reply, we ran out of time last night. We were able to get your down load fixed.

By default IA Telecom set the modem sync. rates higher then we do for the same speed package. So took us a little finagling to get you back to the old IA Telecom settings.

*******If any changes are made to your DSL account you may run into the same issue. Just contact us here with DSLReports if it happens again.*******

We did check into a 3 Mb option. Your SNR readings are good enough for 3 Mb but the DSLAM you are connected to can handle the 3 Mb. But your DSLAM is slated to be upgraded, so you should be able to get 3 MB by the end of October.

Hope this satisfies all your needs,

M****** B.
*****************

8/14/2013 UPDATE...

The issue was finally fixed through A**** (Tier 2 Tech Windstream) and V***** at Windstream. I am going to leave this review the way it is until I know for sure everything has been corrected. What I mean is the plan, bill, and service that I am paying for was left alone and nothing changed to make this work. When I know everything is correct, I may move this to the mixed category

Comments:

kman1964

@oanet.com

?

A couple of things. Your post is somewhat confusing. It seems as if you are suggesting that DSL reports has something to do with Windstream tech support. I may be totally wrong, but the two have no connection at all. DSL reports does not troubleshoot issues with various broadband providers. Second, be prepared for many, many latency issues with Windstream. Their infrastructure is outdated and they make no attempt to improve it. If you have any other choice, go with someone else.
Dr Digital

join:2011-05-24

Re: ?

I love DSLReports. Of course this site (DSLReports) has nothing to do with Winstream. And as far as Windstreams infrastructure they have new equipment where I am and so that is not an issue. My situation is very unique.
iowaboy
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA
·Mediacom
·WildBlue

Re: ?

The reason he is supposed to come to DSLReports is to work directly with the Tech lls here on the Windstream forum as his situation is unique. It really isn't that hard to follow if one knows that Windstream does have a monitored form that the techs follow.

Review by Cuzinshaggy See Profile

• Location: Kershaw,Lancaster,SC
Bad "Terrible service"
Overall "If you have a choice, this ain't it"

Been going back and forth with these guys for a long time to get something besides 512 down. I was told when I called to get service last December that I would have at least 3m by March at the very latest, probably alot sooner. It's now August and still got the same terribad speed. It's just been one pushback after another. If you have a choice in providers, do yourself a favor and pick the other one.

3/2/2013 Alright! A year from when our upgrades were to provide us with decent speeds and still not a damn lick of improvement! Way to take sucks to a whole nother level! Our fiber may not be active, but I bet that fiber line you run to the cell tower in Westville is!

3/9/2013 The new dslam has FINALLY been turned up! My attenuation has been almost halved! Now, according to the field tech, I have to wait for the records to get updated before I can get my speed bumped up. I hope the records don't take as long as actually getting the dslam turned up!

As of 3/18/2013 I now have 6mb DSL. The service is great so far and I hope it stays this way. I'll keep reporting back from time to time stateing service quality.

8/4/2013 My DSL has been pretty much ROCK SOLID since the new DSLAM was turned up! I get advertised speed pretty much 24/7 with low latency. Now if they would just offer me bonded.........

Comments:
Cuzinshaggy

Still bad

This is just to document as of 10/8/2012, our "high speed dsl" is still terrible as ever. Yet another couple of "fix dates" has passed and still no improvement what-so-ever. No one can even tell you why it doesn't get fixed. It does no good to call, they will just lie again. It's amazing that a company can stay in business like this.
jin

join:2012-01-15
Hazard, KY

Re: Still bad

I agree
This bullshit should be against the law.

Been waiting almost a year on this repair.

Checking in.......

11/19/2012
Just thought about checking in here to document I still have shitty DSL. No change, no nothing. Field tech says by the end of the year is what they're telling him, but then again they told him March back in January. Still paying for 1.5 down, still can only get .5 down on a damn good day, still paying 45 bucks a month. Looks like after almost a year of this I could at least get some kind of compensation............

checking in

Just checking in to state another deadline has passed and my internet is still the same. There's no need to call Windstream, they'll just give me another false date. I have filed an informal complaint with the FCC, maybe this will at least get an answer. Two more months and our upgrade will be a year over due.
ZexxMoore

join:2013-01-24
Trinity, TX

Re: checking in

My grandparents have it and their service is horrible. Every person I know who has Windstream has horrible service with constant disconnects and slow speeds.

I don't think a lifetime of searching could yield an ISP worse than Winstream.
Craig1993

join:2013-03-03
Denton, NC

Constant Disconnects and Speeds aren't promised either

I disconnected anywhere from 3-5 times a day, My service Fluctuates speeds well below 3Mb/s, I'm trying my damnedest to get Time Warner Cable in our Area, We had them when I lived with my father an the service was excellent as far as the speed, the price runs up after one year but IDGAF this internet isn't worth $.50!
Rebel Yell

join:2013-03-27

Re: Constant Disconnects and Speeds aren't promised either

I won't waste my breathe or your time to explain my displeasure with ShitStream. I have same troubles as everyone else and have been told same BULLSHIT as everyone else. No more Mr. Nice Guy (as Alice Cooper sang it best) for me. I will bash them every chance I get.

• Location: Dubre,Cumberland,KY
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Windsteam...aka Suckstream. Do yourself a favor and RUN the other way!!!"

My family and I have had Windstream for 10 years now (previously Alltel in
this area). Unfortunately, we have no other choice for service. The first
few years we were overcharged for a service we weren't even receiving and I
had to jump through hoops to get the difference refunded. Every time we
have connection issues I am told there is a known latency issue and they
are working on it (lol...working on it for 10 years now!). They say our
equipment is overburdened but they never attempt to fix the service in the
area.
My job is now an at home job and I am required to use a VPN. I can connect
to the VPN just fine but I cannot stay connected (seems to magically drop
at around an hour of connection) and then I have to wait about 10 minutes
to reconnect again (even though I still have internet).
Customer service is deplorable! I tried to get a seperate business line
run for my work computer and all I get is lame excuses about why they keep
cancelling the install. I am at my whits end with this company and it
looks as though their incompetence and lack of care for customer will end
up causing me to lose my job!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by mordie1001 See Profile

• Location: Bee Branch,Van Buren,AR
Good "Nothing anymore."
Bad "Horrible line quality/packet-loss, server issues, customer service issues, no alternatives."
Overall "Don't get these guys unless your only other options are Dialup or Satellite."

When we first got windstream 3 years ago, they were amazing, 400+ kbps downloads on a 3mbps line, no ping issues or connection drops. These ping issues started out as from 40 ping to areas in CA or NY, to 300 that would last for a few minutes and drop. Now after 3 years it's been 800+ pings to Texas for as long as 48 hours. Their customer service has done nothing and I have provided them with information, using this site. Sadly we cannot change providers because the only other people out here are Hughes Net Satellite internet or dial-up from the phone company. Avoid this company unless you have no other option.

Edit: So after calling them at the end of summer in August, they changed the lines in October, and still nothing is fixed now in the middle of November. I cannot get a hold of anyone in customer service to give them this data, I'll try again tomorrow after work, maybe I can get a hold of someone then.

Edit: June 25, 2013 - No hope of getting this fixed, was posting speed test data on the forums for months, got one answer back. Nothing happened so I give up, congrats windstream you have broken my will over the past 5 years. I will deal with your horrible ping spikes, crappy line quality, and unreliable connectivity until I move away. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Comments:

KK Memory

Outages and more outages

DSL down again, happens almost every week. Canton GA 30115. Today (6/28-6/29) 12 hours without service (10:30 pm-10:30 am)!!! The technicians do not even know you are down - I always ask - so they take you through the whole routine and then ask how old your computer is. I waste hours every week trying to fix it. If the techs knew what was going on it would save them and me time. I work at home. I NEED MY DSL AT NIGHT. My service is once again dropping about once a week around 10:15-10:30. What the --?? I'm thinking of making a formal complaint to the public service commission.

Review by dangladoo See Profile

• Location: Vilonia,Faulkner,AR
Good "Didn't charge me for the modem, customer support is in USA"
Bad "latency issues since 2 months after instal"
Overall "poor service"

Inconsistent connection speeds. Paying for 3Mbs and have never received it. Currently debating on cellular internet or satellite since Windstream, after 2+ years of giving us the run around and broken promises, stated it would be at least another year before the issue might be resolved. No other DSL or Cable available in our area, so they had a captive audience.

Comments:

sadwscustome

windstream service failure

same here. charging me for 3mb but cant deliver even one. I cant load basic pages. Tech came out once then was a no show for a second call- and I took off work to be here. have had issues with WS like this off and on for years. same as other poster, it is the only service out here and they know it and do not even try. they are beyond believable.

wartree

Me too

Horrible service every day. Even ran a new dedicated CAT6 to see if it would help. Still goes from bad to worse after 5pm.

Review by Seph83 See Profile

• Location: Blairsville,Union,GA
Good "Decent ISP from 2003 to 2010, until they oversold their lines. Techs on DSLReports are good. Good connection from 2AM to 2PM..."
Bad "4PM to 1AM - lucky to get 1/10 of speed. Phone support hit or miss. WS didn't anticipate video streaming becoming so popular."
Overall "Oversold network that turns to garbage during the time most people actually need their connection..."

·Blue Ridge Mount..
05/22/2013 Update:

About a year or so after my last update, during the peak times of 5pm to midnight, my connection would drop to about 1/3 to 1/2 of the 12MB I paid for. I tolerated this for a long time, being told for months that it would be fixed, which finally after about a year or so of the slow downs, it was fixed. Then in April 2013 something happened to one of the major DSLAMs in North Georgia, and I got well over 100 disconnects in a two week period, but still had full speed, and when I called to report this issue, a tech did something that did fix the connection dropping issues(he claimed to route me to a different DSLAM, but the techs on here say that I've been on the same one for about 5 years), but it brought back the speed drops during peak times. Now the peak times have increased from about 3 or 4PM to 1AM, and this time around my speeds won't even break 2MB out of the 12MB I still pay for. From about 7pm to 11pm I'm lucky to see 1MB... This is completely and utterly unacceptable. Where I live, there are only two ISPs, Windstream and the Blue Ridge Mountain Electric Membership Corporation. I called the BRMEMC about 5 years ago when they first offered Fiber to the Home in my area, and they wanted about $1300 to do the install to my house, because I was the first customer in the area to request it, and they would have to run fiber over 1500 feet to get to me. Plus, at the time, their speeds were low and their pricing was high. Fast forward to 2013 and the BRMEMC have dropped their prices, raised their speeds, expanded their network and backbone, and best of all, will install the 700+ foot run fiber to my house for free, with a two year commitment. So I can get 12mb symmetrical fiber for about $10 less a month than I pay Windstream.

Now I have no reason at all to continue to do business with Windstream, a company who used to care about the customers in the sticks when no one else did, who has now become just another Verizon or AT&T. So I'm gonna speak the best way a person can, with their wallet.

01/25/2010 Update:

It's been almost 8 months since my upgrade to 12mb/768k, so I'm giving my long term review. Rock solid stability, good latency, consistent speeds. I love it. I've streamed hours upon hours of HD video, played online with my PS3 and PC, downloaded huge files(Windows 7 Beta, and a 7GB 1080p movie) without a hiccup or any kind of problem.

Original Review:

First ordered Windstream's 1.5mb/256k service back in April of 2003, then upgraded to their 3mb/384k package sometime during 2006, after it finally got approved for my area. Had some latency issues during 2007, which were resolved by Windstream adding Fiber Optic lines to my Remote Terminal. This also qualified me for their 6mb/384k ADSL2, which I have been using for over a year, with excellent latency, perfect up-time, and just a flawless connection.

I ordered Windstream's 12mb/768k package on May 27, 2009 and it was active about 16 hours before the due time given by the phone rep. So far, so great. I'll add to this review in about a month, for a longer term review.

Here's a speed test result with the new package:

Speed Test #72376332 by dslreports.com
User's DNS: windstream.net
Compared to the average of 80 tests from windstream.net:
* download is 378% better, upload is 88% better

member for 10.4 years, 2536 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by wstreamsucks See Profile

• Location: Argillite,Greenup,KY
Good "I honestly can't say a single good thing about this company."
Bad "I'm not sure what's worse, the connection or the support."
Overall "Only go with Windstream as a last resort, whatever you do!"

Update a little over a year later: the original issue was fixed, but is (not surprisingly) back again with an estimated repair date of December 31st, 2013 (today is 5/14/2013/).

The facts are simply that Windstream advertises services that it is incapable of providing and does a joke of a job maintaining its network. This is 2013 and speeds of up to 1 Gbps are available in some areas (not from Windstream of course), but over the years Windstream has failed to provide me with a stable connection at their embarrassing speed of 3 Mbps.

If there are other ISPs available in your area you would be making a monumental mistake by choosing Windstream.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------

I have the misfortune of living in an area where Windstream is the only ISP. The connection has always been bad with inconsistent speed and drops, but in the past they have at least made an effort to resolve the problem. Recently I have been experiencing extreme packet loss (30%+) and after calling the support and chatting with their online support, I'm beginning to wonder if some of them even know what a packet is.

Over the span of the last five days I have been blatantly lied to three separate times, twice about having a tech sent out to look at the problem and one support rep told me that my packet loss was because Windstream's network doesn't support traceroutes (which is simply NOT true).

Don't get me wrong, I have had a couple of good experiences with their support, but ultimately nothing gets fixed, and if it does it is only temporary. They are oversubscribed and improving the quality of their lines seems to be their lowest priority.

I honestly hope this review saves someone from the troubles and misfortune of Windstream, trust me when I say it is not worth all of the hassle!

Comments:

Review by iqsr See Profile

• Location: Abernathy,Hale,TX
Good "Still nothing good to report after 3 years."
Bad "Old equipment and lines. Can have high latency and low speeds during peak hours - area is oversubscribed"
Overall "Highly recomend that you"

UPDATED 04/24-2013

I have not updated this review for a while. The reason for that is nothing has changed. The problems I am experiencing dates back as far as 07-24-2010 11:49:16 (this is when I finally got tired and first reported the issue). It is rapidly coming up on the three year mark and things have not improved (any way you approach this, it is unacceptable). I have come to know the windstream antics very well now. I can tell you verbatim what will happen to the nth degree once I pick up the phone or seek help in the windstream direct forum. It has been an endless stream of promised patches and fixes that never really materialize. The only thing they have going for them in my small town is that they are the only ISP provider and that the majority of the people either do not know what is going on or are excepting this as being normal for DSL service (which it is not). As a result of this I had to purchase an ipad ($800.00) which came with an additional $30.00 charge for its data service, so that I can pay my bills, access my emails and carry on my other daily business when the DSL is acting up (which is a majority of the time, 3pm to 4am slow service so regular you can set your watch by it). I guess technically with all the incurred expenses I am paying around $157.00 a month for $60.00 DSL for the next year with incurred expenses. Caught between a rock and a hard place with this one. If I could give a lower satisfaction rating I would. I suggest if you are considering windstream for DSL service, you proceed with caution. Your mileage with this company "might" vary, but remember YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!!!

UPDATE 01/19/11

No improvement to date every time I bring it to there attention they will miraculously find another small problem with their network ( Utilization issue ) and ask me to be patient. The clock is ticking for windstream. There will be competition soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look elsewhere for broadband service.

UPDATE 01/21/12

Service is still erratic same problems as before now with the return of the high pings. I have been in contact with windstream on a regular basis for a short time now and they state that they are installing more equipment and working on the issue. This work seems to be moving really slow. I will report back if any change in this status.

UPDATE 12/03/11

Service unusable in afternoon and most of night. Same problems with no answers. Very disappointed with service. I would not recommend them.

UPDATE 8/15/11

Still no progress. Connection is as erratic as ever.

UPDATE 5/15/11

Windstream tech support broadband tier II working very hard to take care of this issue. keeping me in the loop as to what is going on. Service tech doing a good job also. raised rating for tech support. will update other categories after I live with the fix for a while.

Update 04/29/2011

No news on this issue. Service still terrible.

Update 04/27/2011

This issue has been going on for roughly 9 months. I first turned this issue in 07/24/2010. Waiting for call backs from a couple of places and will update.

Update 04-25-2011

Windstream finally admitted that there was an issue on there side and advised me that it would be months before a fix can be implemented. This is fine and dandy, but wait a minuet, I am still paying full price for a service they are not giving me. I never been robbed but this sure feels like it. Paying full price for something I am not getting!!!! Calling corporate in the am to request a refund for half of my internet price retroactive from December 2010 when this problem became unworkable. If I don't get it, I am going to make a couple of calls and will report back. If you are in the market for High Speed Internet in Abernathy TX consider the few but other options. If you just have to get it get the 1.5 meg service and you will be getting what you pay for then. You Have Been Warned.

update 04-16-2011:

I Updated to 12Mbps service quite a while back. Here is where the trouble began. I am 6 blocks from the CO, so I figured it would be more than worth it for the upgrade in speed. Boy was I mistaken. I have had more service tech out to my residence than you can shake a stick at. Tech support has been anywhere from maybe somewhat helpful to flat out rude to when I would contact them. I have had nothing but problem either the modem not syncing up or horrendously slow speeds. It is always a modem issue when you call tech support. I have been through about 5 of them to date. My last call to tech report was unreal. The tech was so rude to me that I asked to speak to his supervisor. I was pretty much told no. I insisted and he put me on indefinite hold. I hung up and called the corporate office. They were apologetic and stated that they would get this issue taken care of. (Yeah Right) . I received a call back from the support techs supervisor. She was apologetic also. I informed her that I had already called corporate and that they were looking into it. I did file a alleged "complaint" on the support tech that was rude to me. About a week went by and nothing had changed I called corporate again and asked them about my issue. They stated that they would look into it some more. A few days later I received a voice message from a higher tier tech that stated that there were some latency issues in my area and they were working on them. One more weeks goes by and I receive a call from the same tech stating that the issue has been resolved. I guess not for me. My speeds were at an all time low. I called him up ( yes I can call straight through to him now). For once they could actually see that there was a problem. A service tech was dispatched he poked a prodded. He finally proclaimed that the problem was a bad pair. He fixed it and was on his way. I received a call back from the higher tier tech stating that they had me fixed. My speeds at this time were the best that they have been since initial upgrade to 12Mbps. I reminded him that the problem I was experiencing manifested it self usually between 3pm and 6pm and would last into the wee hours of the AM. He agreed to leave the ticket open and call me back the following Monday. Here is where we are at present. Sure enough 3:30pm rolls around and my speeds are back down between 1Mbps and 2Mbps. The problem is still there. the problem starts around 3:30pm and persists to about 3 or 4am in the morning and then it is fine. It dose not take a rocket scientist to see what is going on here. My problem start about the time school is let out and people are getting home from work and last until about the time people are going to bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hopping the engineer I have been talking to will not give up and see this through. Will update when he calls back on Monday.

First Review:

Windstream has just taken over my old service provider Valor Telecom. So I am still trying to fill windstream out. I have had one period of outage since the take over ( which was on their side). I called in to tech support and found out about their equipment problem which affected Tx and Ok; they gave me an expected repair time .It was actually back up before the estimated repair time. They were very polite and helpful. The install was done by my old provider Valor telecom. My Ip address is dynamic. My speed is Download Max. Speed of 1.5 Mbps, Upload Max Speed of 384 Kbps. I received a Speed Stream 4200 modem with filters self install kit. I pay 34.95 for the service but get a $5.00 break so it ends up costing me 29.95. They only offer the one 1.5Mbps service here where I live; they do not offer anything faster. I am sort of hung over a barrel as far as broadband, I can use the problematic WISP or Windstream and be limited to my choice of speed packages. I am far from satisfied on this one. I will update this after living with the new company for a while.

Oh Yeah did not get my callback on Monday!!!

member for 10.7 years, 1204 visits, last login: 136 days ago

Comments:

Review by ccc8 See Profile

• Location: Mooresville,Iredell,NC
Bad "vpn connection is terrible"

speed is never as advertised. normal internet is slow. i work from home and vpn disconnects every 10 minutes at the most. that is unacceptable. i have read that the issue is the sagecom router, but i am looking for help on it.