Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by John S6 See Profile

• Location: Pella,Marion,IA
Good "Local field technicians are friendly and helpful"
Bad "Service is extremely unreliable, never reach advertised speeds"
Overall "Windstream is a horrible company, it's like a lottery where you almost always lose."

We have the 6 Mbps package with Windstream. A little backstory- We were previously with Iowa Telecom, who was bought out by Windstream a little while back. Iowa Telecom was offering 1.5 Mbps service in the area, but Windstream started offering up to 12 Mbps service on the same lines, and to many more customers, as my area is still developing. The result has been that since everyone is trying to use way more than their share of the available bandwidth, no one has reliable service. I have 5-10% packet loss regularly, download speeds are typically around 3 Mbps, and my latency is incredibly high for DSL. They have done nothing to upgrade the area's service even though I have contacted them several times. This company clearly cares nothing about the quality of their service, and like many other Windstream customers, there is no other option available in my area. Since the FCC doesn't regulate ISP's, there is nothing that I can do to my knowledge about the situation, and they aren't likely to spend money upgrading the system just because one person is bugging them. I am at a loss for what to do. So, in conclusion, if you sign up with Windstream- good luck. It's very potluck, and chances are they are doing the equivalent of selling 5 times as many plane tickets as there are seats on their airplane, only with bandwidth.

Comments:
totalradio

Not surprising

Yours is the typical problem that they have with Windstream. As long as you have no competition, nothing will get improved. However...

If Windstream is constantly advertising their DSL speeds at a certain rate, and they repeatedly do not meet them, there is one thing you can try. The Federal Trade Commission regulates what companies advertise. If they don't meet what they advertise, they DO have the power to make them either improve their service, or quit advertising what they try to sell. Of course, its cheaper to quit advertising than to upgrade equipment, so that may backfire.

But again, Windstream is worse than AT&T, so don't expect much out of them.
iowaboy
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA
·Mediacom
·WildBlue

Re: Not surprising

I can agree with they don't repair lines that are bad. The line coming to me can be tested to 1800 feet of me at almost right at 3 Mbps download. Great huh? well go the next pedestal which is 500 feet from me and the speed drops to 1003 kbps. Well the techs reported the issue and even the techs that monitor and try to help out found that there is a issue. Even the techs I speak to on the phone and have sent me 4 modems in 14 months for modem disconnections 4 plus times day can see there is a line issue. Well came down to area manager decided there will never be a line fixed. Our lines are buried and that bundle goes to 3 homes and that isn't enough to fix the issue and make a better, clearer voice calls, that is another story, and also make it so 2 of the homes would have better connection and clearer phone calls. I asked about running a temp line across the ground just as a test to see what would straighten up the issue then we would know for sure. Nope can't do that. I know for a fact that before the sale Iowa Telcom would have done that till they could get a crew out to replace the bundle. Seen them doing before, In fact they did where I used to live. We do have 3 other internet providers where I live, But they do not come out as far as I live. In fact one stops 1800 feet away from me.

Re: Not surprising

As a retired CenturyTel tech (now CenturyLink), looks like you have bad cable. Windstream is up to their eyeballs in debt, so they won't fix anything unless they have to. Seems that Windstream only fixes problems in areas where they have serious competition.

On another note, I visited Iowa for the first time about 10 years ago. Always heard about the endless cornfields and such. I flew into Des Moines and grabbed a car rental and went to Knoxville. Got to see a lot of cornfields there. We have cornfields here too, but not as much as Iowa does. Maybe one day I'll return to Iowa and spend a little more time there.

Good luck with Windstream. You might just need it.

Review by mstre See Profile

• Location: Dorset,Ashtabula,OH
Good "When it works it is ok but that is very seldom!!!"
Bad "Never works and they just make promisses ==monopoly on area!!"
Overall "Stay away"

We signed up for $55.00 and promised 6meg. Three years and we just got 3meg. When we got first bill $80.00!! They just said I was wrong and take it or leave it in so many words knowing they are the only service in the area. The thirty dollars is taxes! We could only get 1.5meg. They said they were updating equipment and should be getting 6meg in a few months. Well its 3 years later and we get 3meg when it works 15 min out of a day!! They have been working on it for a month every day or so and still can't get it to work right. We thought they had it when we got 3meg and the web pages loaded fast but 30 min later back to 0.07 meg. They still can not find the problem after four modems and all new wire in our house. They just keep playing games and not fixing the problem! Two of their hired techs said they have to many customers for the dslam!! All we get is a song and dance when we call and they are the only provider in our area. They are just rip off artist.

Comments:
totalradio

Taxes & fees, et al

The taxes that you speak of are probably "un-fees" that Windstream likes to charge in places where they don't face competition. If they need to raise the price of your connection, they just raise the "un-fees" and they don't have to increase the advertised price.

The problem that most Windstream users have, are that Windstream doesn't upgrade their equipment in those non-competitive area. They don't have to, since DSL is an unregulated product in most states, therefore most PUC's (or PSC's) are powerless to do anything. Even if Windstream wanted to upgrade, they really can't afford to upgrade equipment or cable in wholesale fashion because their debt load simply won't allow them. They need to pay down debt soon.

Windstream will promise an elevator and give you the shaft. The employee "trolls" on here simply will say whatever to try and appease the customer.

I lived in an AT&T area before moving to a Windstream area. I'm lucky that Windstream does have meaningful competition in my area. Coupled that with the largest employer (Georgia Pacific) being their largest customer in the area. Windstream is a far worse company than AT&T and I cannot trust them either.

Don't get me wrong, when I've had a problem that was local in nature, the techs are real good in fixing problems on the local level. Its the tech support that you'll have the problem, since none of them know anything about DSL or the telephone business and Windstream doesn't train them in it.

But like many on here, we feel your pain. Good luck in dealing with Windstream.

You'll need it.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

Re: Taxes & fees, et al

DSL unregulated in most states? Try all states. the FCC has deemed that it is an information service and not subject to regulation.

Rooster

@sbcglobal.net

Bandwidth

Sign up for "DSL Lite" you'll never know the difference.

Review by VTXJENNY See Profile

• Location: Liberty,Casey,KY
Good "nothing good"
Bad "everthing s@cks"
Overall "avoid if possible."

Third world countries have faster internet than Windstream....if there is no incentive (competition) why should they care. The absolute worst customer service...all liars.

Comments:

Review by Nickali28 See Profile

• Location: Cove,Polk,AR
Good "Customer Service Friendly. "
Bad "Oversold circuits with outdated equipment."
Overall "No data caps yet. Poor quality on overutilized old equipment."

I have had a 3Mb DSL service for several years. It was ok in the first year or two. Each year it gets progressively worse. Equipment is over utilized and very outdated. Since I live rurally it is not cost effective to update equipment. As it stands I frequently get around 20% packet loss and less than .2Mb download and upload. Peak hours you may as well forget the internet. Bandwidth is not there. Order and install was easy and straightforward. Customer service has been polite, albeit not helpful. I have been informed they understand what the problem is. Equipment, oversold, etc. but that at this time it is not in plans for upgrade.

Bottom Line: There is no other option in the area for uncapped internet. We have windstream DSL, Satellite, or Cell Phone that is not running 3G. It is the prior speed.

I work from home sometimes and get timed out and have to drive 30 miles to work. Irritating to say the least, but there is no other options. As soon as another viable option is available, windstream is gone.

Comments:
tonyNM

·Windstream

Most unethical, greedy CEO ever.

At least they tell you partial truth. here they just lie and say they are working on it. They do not mention what they are working on or where nor do they have an estimated date of completion. They are simply not upgrading anything here and do not come out and say so.
Nickali28

join:2012-11-24
Cove, AR
·Windstream

Re: Most unethical, greedy CEO ever.

I work in IT and am familiar with a good bit of the ISP Business and basically cut through the tech help and told them what was going on with their own equipment just by using some simple tools and the tech actually agreed with me and told me that my area did have an older piece of equipment. Even gave me the circuit tag that is about a mile from my house. She said it was not in the plans for upgrade and that the new fiber in the area would not affect that equipment either. I suppose the average user wouldn't get so lucky to glean that information out. Customer service has been nice enough but I think they have been told what to say and not to. I live rurally so really am fortunate to have Broadband, but it would be nice if the equipment could get a bump. It would help, but as I understand it's a nationwide Windstream problem.

Espanola, NM

Re: Most unethical, greedy CEO ever.

They could solve it by investing some of the profit they make instead of being greedy and keeping it. Slow down the rate at which they are getting rich at is all they have to do. They will still get rich just not as fast.

Review by tonyNM See Profile

• Location: Espanola,Rio Arriba,NM
Good "It exists"
Bad "It exists"
Overall "Most unethical company in the world"

WIndstream Communications is the worst company in the world. They are greedy, unethical and just plain lie to their customers. Specifically, DSL service in Espanola, New Mexico is as bad or worse as it was 2 years ago. WIndstream is doing nothing at all to upgrade equipment or lines. THis is notning new for this company as a quick look through these forums will tell you. They have a monopoly here thus they have no need to upgrade anything. I am disabled both mentally and physically so basically the internet is my window to the world. Windstream is completely denying me a pleasant quality of life and there is no other broadband to switch. I am at wits end with these liars and quite frankly I see no future. I have extensive files of my dealings with windstream which I want to get out to the media before it is too late but I really do not have the energy for this anymore. Right now my heart is pounding and my nose keeps trying to drip red from the frustration and despair I feel about not being able to live. Windstream techs even toy with me and my illness. early this week I was told by one of the "tech" people online that the issue in my area would be resolved in 2 weeks. Today I find that this just was not true as another "tech" told me he didn't know why the first person had mentioned a fix was coming. They enjoy my helplessness and do not care if they are severely restricting my life.

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Separate the emotion...

Focus on what the actual issues are and write a review about the issues. There isn't much anyone can make out of this review except you claim there to be an issue and it was supposed to be resolved but it hasn't been. That doesn't say much.

·Windstream

Re: Separate the emotion...

Fair enough. THe issue is extreme latency and Windstreams lies. They say they are aware of the problem but they will not do anything to help alleviate it. This high latency issue has existed for over 2 years. I just can't believe how unethical this company is and they are doing it nationwide! Who are they paying off in order to not have been sued yet....hmmm
JimmyGator

join:2010-11-09
Melrose, FL

Simply pathetic. The test result speaks for the service being received.

« SpeedGuide.net Speed Test Results »
80 kbps down (~0.08 Mbps, 10 KB/s)
140 kbps up (~0.14 Mbps, 17 KB/s)
1024 KB downloaded in 105.439 seconds
Latency: 268ms
Provider: dynamic.ip.windstream.net
Location: High Springs, FL, US

Re: Simply pathetic. The test result speaks for the service being received.

I'd be happy with what you get at times. I also discovered that the "techs" here pick and choose who they help. I never received any answers to my IM. Patricia said she would look into it then nothing was done. Typical Windstream.
JimmyGator

join:2010-11-09
Melrose, FL

Re: Simply pathetic. The test result speaks for the service being received.

They should be paying me to 'enjoy' these speeds...

« SpeedGuide.net Speed Test Results »
Latency: 133ms
Provider: dynamic.ip.windstream.net
Location: Melrose, FL, US

Re: Simply pathetic. The test result speaks for the service being received.

You are in FLorida. I am in New Mexico yet it is the same story. How is it that these people have gotten away without a major scandal breaking out nation wide? My guess is big payoffs to politicians. No wonder they can't afford to upgrade our systems, they are buying off Senators and things.

Review by sethf See Profile

• Location: Danielsville,Madison,GA
Good "Direct forum support from Aaron"
Bad "Lack of investment in areas with no competition"
Overall "Adequate if your only choice is between them and satellite or capped wireless"

In the nearly 10 years that Alltel/Windstream has offered DSL in my area they have not made one single upgrade to the available speeds offered outside of increasing the upload to ~650Mbps (after you consider that they do not over provision the upload) a few years ago. Most of the time I get at least 2Mbps down on my 3Mbps line, but more frequently speeds and latency are in the toilet. Windstream will acknowledge the problem and give a stated date for a fix, but that date always gets pushed back. They do not have to fix these issues because there is no competition. The second Charter runs cable down my road (it passes it now) is the day I leave. Windstream is spending all their money on business services and "the cloud" while keeping residential investments in uncompetitive areas at nearly zero.

Comments:

Sammy_D

@windstream.net

Price gouging and poor service.

WIndstream gouges it's customers because they know they are the only one servicing many rural areas.
The service is down so much they owe me months worth of back service- but you know they won't do that.
I'll be glad if or when ATT or somebody gets lines out here - there's is less than half the price for the same service.

Review by Austia001 See Profile

• Location: Saint Matthews,Calhoun,SC
Good "was doing good, now bad again..."
Bad "Have had bad internet lag/drops in the past.. Kinda of expensive for 3MB dsl service versus some other carriers."
Overall "I've had my ups and downs but lately the tech support has helped a good bit."

Windstream is a monopoly in my area and can pretty much charge what they want for service apparently.. They are considerably higher rates than other competition for the same service. The fastest DSL I have available is 3MB and it's pretty dang high. I have friends a county over from mine that have 20+MB cable for the same price. They installed Fiber Optic into our network yesterday and the results today seem to be much better.. Time will tell.

Well, 12-27-2013, every evening still having high latency and ping times. Called tech support 3 times, and as of yet, nothing has been done. Sounds about typical from the service I had been getting before..

Comments:

Review by FlaCracker See Profile

• Location: Citra,Marion,FL
Good "It's better than dial up."
Bad "Don't expect this company to come anywhere near the promised download speeds. You will pay for 3 mps and you might get 1.0 mps."
Overall "Use this company only if you have no other option for a DSL or Cable provider."

If you have any other DSL or Cable option, you will be far better off going with that company than Windstream. WindStream has consistently failed to provide even a third of the promised download speed for which they charge. The only reason I am still with them is that there is no other option, other than satellite internet, which has it's own host of problems. Overall, I would say that WindStream is a complete scam for the actual promised download speed. They are more than willing to charge for "high speed" Internet, but are completely unable to keep their promise for "high speed" internet. In addition, they charged for their "professional install service", which ended up in the service man arriving on the wrong date and just leaving the equipment on the front porch. I was forced to self install, even though I was charged for "professional" installation. Windstream is the sort of company that actually needs the Better Business Bureau and government regulation, in order to attempt to detour them from completely ripping off the consumer.

Comments:
tonyNM

In addition

They are blatant liars. I can't believe the greed of these people. The one and only thing this CEO believes in is the profit margin. Eventually, there will indeed be a full scale investigation of these completely ethic less people and I sincerely hope criminal charges are filed and the consequences paid for by the policy setters. Really, what kind of people make policy like this? I can just imagine their secret board meetings where they laugh at us, the little people, while they count their money. HEY!! you are already rich. Stop getting richer faster and buy some equipment for us.

Review by iowaboy See Profile

• Location: Fairfield,Jefferson,IA
Good "Speeds marginally ok"
Bad "constant disconnects and field techs can not figure out why. Speed now 1014kbps on 3Mbpsline"
Overall "stay on top of them. Local field techs are great and care but hands tied"

·Mediacom
·WildBlue
Ordered 3 Mbps package and have 1.5 Mbps reliable speeds. But in end line will only handle 1.5 Mbps. Called for tech support 3 times till I got a internet tech who cared enough to not just transfer me away to someone who really could not handle my issue. Once I got someone who took the ball I was fixed within minutes.

Field techs are great and would not give up till i had a clean line and went out of their way to make sure I was satisfied with my service.

09/12/2013: Well here we are after a few months of service and use the downstream has now dropped to best 1023 kbps and upstream of 380 kbps. Complained about noisy phone when on calls and since they attempted to repair this the speed dropped from 1506 kbps. Am paying for 3 Mbps down for DSL and so far they have refused to allow a discount for the reduced speeds. Field techs did rewire my line from the central office using never used lines and found that a pedestal about 1800 feet from me had 3 meg down. The next pedestal had 1023 kbps and mine has 1023 kbps. From what I can find out they may be not going to fix the line. Still have bad phone service with noise even when talking to my mother who also lives in same town.

I vote to stay away if you have another choice. Even satellite would be better than this.

10/10/2012. Finally done with this company. As soon as cable gets installed I am bailing. Internet connect speeds are lower and lower after each time tech comes to fix a problem they claim nothing is wrong and can't verify issue even though it is in black and while modem logs. Stay away. Even Satellite is better than this company.

Comments:
totalradio

Windstream Problems

I feel your pain. We in South Arkansas have great field techs. They know their equipment and they know their network. I'm lucky to live about 2000 feet from the CO and we get the speed we pay for, even at peak times.

That said, if you ever have to call tier 1 tech support, they are about as dumb as a box of rocks. They have no tech knowledge, they don't know their product and just flat out refuse to help. My last problem that I had was with my static IP, so I bit the bullet and called tech support. I got lucky and the tier 1 tech support person actually transferred me to tier 2 support. The guy in tier 2 was extremely sharp and recognized my problem. About 5 minutes of work and he told me to reboot my modem. BOOM ! Static IP problem corrected. Smooth sailing since then.

The problem in most areas is that when Windstream bought the smaller telcos, the infrastructure was horrible, and whether or not they knew it, they've never corrected them. In a lot of areas, the cables are bad at best. Couple that with the DSLAMS having inadequate circuits feeding them. When the DSLAMS get full, the speeds to customers are very bad. Combine them with bad cable and the problems are worse. Windstream can't really replace the bad cable in those areas, as its expensive to do so. They can't upgrade the circuits to the DSLAMS because its expensive to do so. Windstream's balance sheet is just as bad as their DSL in most areas, so they can't afford to upgrade the equipment. Once in a great while, an area gets lucky and gets an upgrade and all is well. In our area, Georgia-Pacific is a big customer for Windstream and I think they put a little pressure on Windstream to provide good service and the area benefits from it.

In fairness, Windstream is only one of many telcos that have those problems. I've heard many problems with Fairpoint, Frontier, CenturyLink, and of course Windstream. I've heard few problems with Verizon FiOS, and their huge fiber build outs. And Verizon FiOS has incredible speeds, speeds that I can only dream of, but that's comparing apples & oranges.

Glad you got away from Windstream.
jnoneiliv1

join:2013-10-19
United State

Re: Windstream Problems

I also feel your pain. We don't have cable or FIOS support in our area and older POTS lines to use for DSL and T1. It's not an easy problem to solve, try to be patient. I often get very frustrated, but it really doesn't help and the technicians are often just as frustrated.

Review by Silver_2000 See Profile

• Location: Grand Prairie,Dallas,TX
Good "Allworx phones are good"
Bad "Customer service is awful - in EVERY Way - slow unresponsive - arrogant"
Overall "Avoid them at all cost. Its not worth the pain"

We made the mistake of buying a phone system and network connections from Paetec - which was taken over by Windstream. We have 5 locations, multiple T1's, VOIOP phone system, MPLS network and VPN tunnels. Both Peatec and Windstream have been struggling to meet BASIC service level agreements.

Most recent example is we needed the IP address changed on a VPN tunnel. Its been 32 days and we just NOW have an APPT to START getting the IP address changed. That's ridiculous. Its 5 min worth of work. Not 32 days to resolution 32 days to get to the agent who CAN do the work - I hope.

The worst part is that no one at windstream sees this as a problem. Ive attempted to Escalate, you get lots of talk but NO action, no resolution to the on going customer service failures. Ill be shocked if they are still in business when our contract is up.

I rated the connection reliability as good but Windstream buys T1's from Verizon and ATT so they get NO credit for that.

Update : Windstream acts like a company circling the drain. The response from support takes longer and longer. Its typical to get no response from them. The good news about getting ignored is that if they ignore you at least they arent lying to you ....

Like many customers, We are in the process of breaking our contract due to repeated outages and lack of response. We have replaced ALL of the Windstream provided services and increased our internet speeds by 5x to 12x and saved $2000 a month in the process...