Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by Dr Digital See Profile

• Location: New Virginia,Warren,IA
Good "The information is out there for the customer to find on their own and try and fix their problems."
Bad "Not enough space to write in. If you have an option RUN! Avoid calling tech support or customer service."
Overall "Avoid any humans that work for this company! If a human touches your account they will mess it up and won't fix it. "

What I am trying to have done by current Tier 1.5 Tech A****:

If A**** would pay attention, he/she would see what the issue is and correct it like every other Tier 2 Tech has done WHEN THEY (NOT ME....) MAKE CHANGES ON MY DSL ACCOUNT.

Iowa Telecom 1.5mbps Plan: (I'm grandfathered in and pay for) - Provisioning 1920 download and 960 upload
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/2737482997

Windstream 1.5mbps Plan: (What they have me provisioned for!) Provisioning 1536 download and 368 upload
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/2900155652

"If any changes are made to your DSL account you may run into the same issue. Just contact us here with DSLReports if it happens again."
M***** B.

What A**** WON'T DO:
M***** B.
Broadband Tier II

I WOULD 100% agree with totalradio's review of Windtsream. M******, L****** and others in Tier 2 Tech support in past have NEVER had a problem helping fix my unique situation on my dsl account here on dslreports. This was before the current situation (same thing every other Tier 2 Tech fixed except A****) and person -A**** with this so called company called Windstream. However, the new person called -A**** is a complete joke and complete waste of time. It used to be different going through DSLReports to receive help. Now it is no different than the regular tech support for Windstream anyway. -A**** should not be in Tier 2 Tech support. This is somewhat my response to this so called tech support. I have changed some things for this review.

Whatever, seriously! You and your company are a joke. I PAY FOR 1.5mbps not 1.2 or anything else. THE 1.2 WOULD BE ACCEPTABLE IF I WAS ON A 1.5 MBPS WINDSTREAM PLAN. I'M NOT. I AM GRANDFATHERED INTO THE IOWA TELECOM 1.5mbps plan which is provisioned at 1.9mbps not 1.5mbps like the current 1.5mbps Windstream plan!!!!! Are you really that ignorant? I could care less what the WINDSTREAM PLANS are I am paying and should be provisioned for the grandfathered IOWA TELECOM plan I am billed for for three years now which you stated is 1.9mbps download and .80 upload. PROVISIONED. Doesn't mean I will get. But, when you provision me for the WINDSTREAM 1.5mbps you already know I won't get that. 60% rule. Do the math!!!! Seriously, and you are in tech support. YOUR COMPANY EVEN RECEIVED TAX PAYER DOLLARS AND STILMULUS MONEY. You all keep up this kind of support and customer service and your job will dry up. Seriously, remember I told you that. I will pray for you! Companies like the one you so eagerly work for will soon be a thing of the past treating loyal customers like this. So what is the difference between the 1.5 Iowa Telecom Plan and the 1.5 Windstream plan? Explain please!!!! I know one is provisioned at 1.5mbps and the other 1.9mbps. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see which one will get closer to the 1.5mbps I am paying for applying the 60% rule Windstream uses. According to you. Then the FREE INTERNET UPGRADE OFFER is a joke and a scam too. The ripping off of customers and the treatment and lies you tell will catch up with you all. Windstream may have a monopoly now. But the first step was getting higher speeds here (which are now available in my area and this is how I know it's provisioning NOT EQUIPMENT) and then competition. Google, Facebook, and Microsoft all have or will have data centers in Iowa. Therefore alot of internet traffic will flow through IOWA and then cause competition to come here. When that happens you better believe I will drop my service faster than the phone will dial the cancellation department. A**** Tier -1.50 Tech /WINDSTREAM

Earlier reply from 2012 when situation was fixed before by another tech.
**************
Sorry about the delay in our reply, we ran out of time last night. We were able to get your down load fixed.

By default IA Telecom set the modem sync. rates higher then we do for the same speed package. So took us a little finagling to get you back to the old IA Telecom settings.

*******If any changes are made to your DSL account you may run into the same issue. Just contact us here with DSLReports if it happens again.*******

We did check into a 3 Mb option. Your SNR readings are good enough for 3 Mb but the DSLAM you are connected to can handle the 3 Mb. But your DSLAM is slated to be upgraded, so you should be able to get 3 MB by the end of October.

Hope this satisfies all your needs,

M****** B.
*****************

8/14/2013 UPDATE...

The issue was finally fixed through A**** (Tier 2 Tech Windstream) and V***** at Windstream. I am going to leave this review the way it is until I know for sure everything has been corrected. What I mean is the plan, bill, and service that I am paying for was left alone and nothing changed to make this work. When I know everything is correct, I may move this to the mixed category

member for 3.2 years, 127 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

kman1964

@oanet.com

?

A couple of things. Your post is somewhat confusing. It seems as if you are suggesting that DSL reports has something to do with Windstream tech support. I may be totally wrong, but the two have no connection at all. DSL reports does not troubleshoot issues with various broadband providers. Second, be prepared for many, many latency issues with Windstream. Their infrastructure is outdated and they make no attempt to improve it. If you have any other choice, go with someone else.
Dr Digital

join:2011-05-24

Re: ?

I love DSLReports. Of course this site (DSLReports) has nothing to do with Winstream. And as far as Windstreams infrastructure they have new equipment where I am and so that is not an issue. My situation is very unique.
iowaboy
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA
·WildBlue

Re: ?

The reason he is supposed to come to DSLReports is to work directly with the Tech lls here on the Windstream forum as his situation is unique. It really isn't that hard to follow if one knows that Windstream does have a monitored form that the techs follow.

Review by Cuzinshaggy See Profile

• Location: Kershaw,Lancaster,SC
Bad "Terrible service"
Overall "If you have a choice, this ain't it"

Been going back and forth with these guys for a long time to get something besides 512 down. I was told when I called to get service last December that I would have at least 3m by March at the very latest, probably alot sooner. It's now August and still got the same terribad speed. It's just been one pushback after another. If you have a choice in providers, do yourself a favor and pick the other one.

3/2/2013 Alright! A year from when our upgrades were to provide us with decent speeds and still not a damn lick of improvement! Way to take sucks to a whole nother level! Our fiber may not be active, but I bet that fiber line you run to the cell tower in Westville is!

3/9/2013 The new dslam has FINALLY been turned up! My attenuation has been almost halved! Now, according to the field tech, I have to wait for the records to get updated before I can get my speed bumped up. I hope the records don't take as long as actually getting the dslam turned up!

As of 3/18/2013 I now have 6mb DSL. The service is great so far and I hope it stays this way. I'll keep reporting back from time to time stateing service quality.

8/4/2013 My DSL has been pretty much ROCK SOLID since the new DSLAM was turned up! I get advertised speed pretty much 24/7 with low latency. Now if they would just offer me bonded.........

updated 1 year ago

Comments:
Cuzinshaggy

Still bad

This is just to document as of 10/8/2012, our "high speed dsl" is still terrible as ever. Yet another couple of "fix dates" has passed and still no improvement what-so-ever. No one can even tell you why it doesn't get fixed. It does no good to call, they will just lie again. It's amazing that a company can stay in business like this.
jin

join:2012-01-15
Hazard, KY

Re: Still bad

I agree
This bullshit should be against the law.

Been waiting almost a year on this repair.

Checking in.......

11/19/2012
Just thought about checking in here to document I still have shitty DSL. No change, no nothing. Field tech says by the end of the year is what they're telling him, but then again they told him March back in January. Still paying for 1.5 down, still can only get .5 down on a damn good day, still paying 45 bucks a month. Looks like after almost a year of this I could at least get some kind of compensation............

checking in

Just checking in to state another deadline has passed and my internet is still the same. There's no need to call Windstream, they'll just give me another false date. I have filed an informal complaint with the FCC, maybe this will at least get an answer. Two more months and our upgrade will be a year over due.
ZexxMoore

join:2013-01-24
Trinity, TX

Re: checking in

My grandparents have it and their service is horrible. Every person I know who has Windstream has horrible service with constant disconnects and slow speeds.

I don't think a lifetime of searching could yield an ISP worse than Winstream.
Craig1993

join:2013-03-03
Denton, NC

Constant Disconnects and Speeds aren't promised either

I disconnected anywhere from 3-5 times a day, My service Fluctuates speeds well below 3Mb/s, I'm trying my damnedest to get Time Warner Cable in our Area, We had them when I lived with my father an the service was excellent as far as the speed, the price runs up after one year but IDGAF this internet isn't worth $.50!
Rebel Yell

join:2013-03-27

Re: Constant Disconnects and Speeds aren't promised either

I won't waste my breathe or your time to explain my displeasure with ShitStream. I have same troubles as everyone else and have been told same BULLSHIT as everyone else. No more Mr. Nice Guy (as Alice Cooper sang it best) for me. I will bash them every chance I get.

• Location: Dubre,Cumberland,KY
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Windsteam...aka Suckstream. Do yourself a favor and RUN the other way!!!"

My family and I have had Windstream for 10 years now (previously Alltel in
this area). Unfortunately, we have no other choice for service. The first
few years we were overcharged for a service we weren't even receiving and I
had to jump through hoops to get the difference refunded. Every time we
have connection issues I am told there is a known latency issue and they
are working on it (lol...working on it for 10 years now!). They say our
equipment is overburdened but they never attempt to fix the service in the
area.
My job is now an at home job and I am required to use a VPN. I can connect
to the VPN just fine but I cannot stay connected (seems to magically drop
at around an hour of connection) and then I have to wait about 10 minutes
to reconnect again (even though I still have internet).
Customer service is deplorable! I tried to get a seperate business line
run for my work computer and all I get is lame excuses about why they keep
cancelling the install. I am at my whits end with this company and it
looks as though their incompetence and lack of care for customer will end
up causing me to lose my job!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by mordie1001 See Profile

• Location: Bee Branch,Van Buren,AR
Good "Nothing anymore."
Bad "Horrible line quality/packet-loss, server issues, customer service issues, no alternatives."
Overall "Don't get these guys unless your only other options are Dialup or Satellite."

When we first got windstream 3 years ago, they were amazing, 400+ kbps downloads on a 3mbps line, no ping issues or connection drops. These ping issues started out as from 40 ping to areas in CA or NY, to 300 that would last for a few minutes and drop. Now after 3 years it's been 800+ pings to Texas for as long as 48 hours. Their customer service has done nothing and I have provided them with information, using this site. Sadly we cannot change providers because the only other people out here are Hughes Net Satellite internet or dial-up from the phone company. Avoid this company unless you have no other option.

Edit: So after calling them at the end of summer in August, they changed the lines in October, and still nothing is fixed now in the middle of November. I cannot get a hold of anyone in customer service to give them this data, I'll try again tomorrow after work, maybe I can get a hold of someone then.

Edit: June 25, 2013 - No hope of getting this fixed, was posting speed test data on the forums for months, got one answer back. Nothing happened so I give up, congrats windstream you have broken my will over the past 5 years. I will deal with your horrible ping spikes, crappy line quality, and unreliable connectivity until I move away. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Comments:

KK Memory

Outages and more outages

DSL down again, happens almost every week. Canton GA 30115. Today (6/28-6/29) 12 hours without service (10:30 pm-10:30 am)!!! The technicians do not even know you are down - I always ask - so they take you through the whole routine and then ask how old your computer is. I waste hours every week trying to fix it. If the techs knew what was going on it would save them and me time. I work at home. I NEED MY DSL AT NIGHT. My service is once again dropping about once a week around 10:15-10:30. What the --?? I'm thinking of making a formal complaint to the public service commission.

Review by dangladoo See Profile

• Location: Vilonia,Faulkner,AR
Good "Didn't charge me for the modem, customer support is in USA"
Bad "latency issues since 2 months after instal"
Overall "poor service"

Inconsistent connection speeds. Paying for 3Mbs and have never received it. Currently debating on cellular internet or satellite since Windstream, after 2+ years of giving us the run around and broken promises, stated it would be at least another year before the issue might be resolved. No other DSL or Cable available in our area, so they had a captive audience.

Comments:

sadwscustome

windstream service failure

same here. charging me for 3mb but cant deliver even one. I cant load basic pages. Tech came out once then was a no show for a second call- and I took off work to be here. have had issues with WS like this off and on for years. same as other poster, it is the only service out here and they know it and do not even try. they are beyond believable.

wartree

Me too

Horrible service every day. Even ran a new dedicated CAT6 to see if it would help. Still goes from bad to worse after 5pm.

Review by Seph83 See Profile

• Location: Blairsville,Union,GA
Good "Decent ISP from 2003 to 2010, until they oversold their lines. Techs on DSLReports are good. Good connection from 2AM to 2PM..."
Bad "4PM to 1AM - lucky to get 1/10 of speed. Phone support hit or miss. WS didn't anticipate video streaming becoming so popular."
Overall "Oversold network that turns to garbage during the time most people actually need their connection..."

·Blue Ridge Mount..
05/22/2013 Update:

About a year or so after my last update, during the peak times of 5pm to midnight, my connection would drop to about 1/3 to 1/2 of the 12MB I paid for. I tolerated this for a long time, being told for months that it would be fixed, which finally after about a year or so of the slow downs, it was fixed. Then in April 2013 something happened to one of the major DSLAMs in North Georgia, and I got well over 100 disconnects in a two week period, but still had full speed, and when I called to report this issue, a tech did something that did fix the connection dropping issues(he claimed to route me to a different DSLAM, but the techs on here say that I've been on the same one for about 5 years), but it brought back the speed drops during peak times. Now the peak times have increased from about 3 or 4PM to 1AM, and this time around my speeds won't even break 2MB out of the 12MB I still pay for. From about 7pm to 11pm I'm lucky to see 1MB... This is completely and utterly unacceptable. Where I live, there are only two ISPs, Windstream and the Blue Ridge Mountain Electric Membership Corporation. I called the BRMEMC about 5 years ago when they first offered Fiber to the Home in my area, and they wanted about $1300 to do the install to my house, because I was the first customer in the area to request it, and they would have to run fiber over 1500 feet to get to me. Plus, at the time, their speeds were low and their pricing was high. Fast forward to 2013 and the BRMEMC have dropped their prices, raised their speeds, expanded their network and backbone, and best of all, will install the 700+ foot run fiber to my house for free, with a two year commitment. So I can get 12mb symmetrical fiber for about $10 less a month than I pay Windstream.

Now I have no reason at all to continue to do business with Windstream, a company who used to care about the customers in the sticks when no one else did, who has now become just another Verizon or AT&T. So I'm gonna speak the best way a person can, with their wallet.

01/25/2010 Update:

It's been almost 8 months since my upgrade to 12mb/768k, so I'm giving my long term review. Rock solid stability, good latency, consistent speeds. I love it. I've streamed hours upon hours of HD video, played online with my PS3 and PC, downloaded huge files(Windows 7 Beta, and a 7GB 1080p movie) without a hiccup or any kind of problem.

Original Review:

First ordered Windstream's 1.5mb/256k service back in April of 2003, then upgraded to their 3mb/384k package sometime during 2006, after it finally got approved for my area. Had some latency issues during 2007, which were resolved by Windstream adding Fiber Optic lines to my Remote Terminal. This also qualified me for their 6mb/384k ADSL2, which I have been using for over a year, with excellent latency, perfect up-time, and just a flawless connection.

I ordered Windstream's 12mb/768k package on May 27, 2009 and it was active about 16 hours before the due time given by the phone rep. So far, so great. I'll add to this review in about a month, for a longer term review.

Here's a speed test result with the new package:

Speed Test #72376332 by dslreports.com
User: 998727 @ dslreports.com
User's DNS: windstream.net
Compared to the average of 80 tests from windstream.net:
* download is 378% better, upload is 88% better

Comments:

Review by wstreamsucks See Profile

• Location: Argillite,Greenup,KY
Good "I honestly can't say a single good thing about this company."
Bad "I'm not sure what's worse, the connection or the support."
Overall "Only go with Windstream as a last resort, whatever you do!"

Update a little over a year later: the original issue was fixed, but is (not surprisingly) back again with an estimated repair date of December 31st, 2013 (today is 5/14/2013/).

The facts are simply that Windstream advertises services that it is incapable of providing and does a joke of a job maintaining its network. This is 2013 and speeds of up to 1 Gbps are available in some areas (not from Windstream of course), but over the years Windstream has failed to provide me with a stable connection at their embarrassing speed of 3 Mbps.

If there are other ISPs available in your area you would be making a monumental mistake by choosing Windstream.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------

I have the misfortune of living in an area where Windstream is the only ISP. The connection has always been bad with inconsistent speed and drops, but in the past they have at least made an effort to resolve the problem. Recently I have been experiencing extreme packet loss (30%+) and after calling the support and chatting with their online support, I'm beginning to wonder if some of them even know what a packet is.

Over the span of the last five days I have been blatantly lied to three separate times, twice about having a tech sent out to look at the problem and one support rep told me that my packet loss was because Windstream's network doesn't support traceroutes (which is simply NOT true).

Don't get me wrong, I have had a couple of good experiences with their support, but ultimately nothing gets fixed, and if it does it is only temporary. They are oversubscribed and improving the quality of their lines seems to be their lowest priority.

I honestly hope this review saves someone from the troubles and misfortune of Windstream, trust me when I say it is not worth all of the hassle!

Comments:

Review by iqsr See Profile

• Location: Abernathy,Hale,TX
Good "Still nothing good to report after 3 years."
Bad "Old equipment and lines. Can have high latency and low speeds during peak hours - area is oversubscribed"
Overall "Highly recomend that you"

UPDATED 04/24-2013

I have not updated this review for a while. The reason for that is nothing has changed. The problems I am experiencing dates back as far as 07-24-2010 11:49:16 (this is when I finally got tired and first reported the issue). It is rapidly coming up on the three year mark and things have not improved (any way you approach this, it is unacceptable). I have come to know the windstream antics very well now. I can tell you verbatim what will happen to the nth degree once I pick up the phone or seek help in the windstream direct forum. It has been an endless stream of promised patches and fixes that never really materialize. The only thing they have going for them in my small town is that they are the only ISP provider and that the majority of the people either do not know what is going on or are excepting this as being normal for DSL service (which it is not). As a result of this I had to purchase an ipad ($800.00) which came with an additional $30.00 charge for its data service, so that I can pay my bills, access my emails and carry on my other daily business when the DSL is acting up (which is a majority of the time, 3pm to 4am slow service so regular you can set your watch by it). I guess technically with all the incurred expenses I am paying around $157.00 a month for $60.00 DSL for the next year with incurred expenses. Caught between a rock and a hard place with this one. If I could give a lower satisfaction rating I would. I suggest if you are considering windstream for DSL service, you proceed with caution. Your mileage with this company "might" vary, but remember YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!!!

UPDATE 01/19/11

No improvement to date every time I bring it to there attention they will miraculously find another small problem with their network ( Utilization issue ) and ask me to be patient. The clock is ticking for windstream. There will be competition soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look elsewhere for broadband service.

UPDATE 01/21/12

Service is still erratic same problems as before now with the return of the high pings. I have been in contact with windstream on a regular basis for a short time now and they state that they are installing more equipment and working on the issue. This work seems to be moving really slow. I will report back if any change in this status.

UPDATE 12/03/11

Service unusable in afternoon and most of night. Same problems with no answers. Very disappointed with service. I would not recommend them.

UPDATE 8/15/11

Still no progress. Connection is as erratic as ever.

UPDATE 5/15/11

Windstream tech support broadband tier II working very hard to take care of this issue. keeping me in the loop as to what is going on. Service tech doing a good job also. raised rating for tech support. will update other categories after I live with the fix for a while.

Update 04/29/2011

No news on this issue. Service still terrible.

Update 04/27/2011

This issue has been going on for roughly 9 months. I first turned this issue in 07/24/2010. Waiting for call backs from a couple of places and will update.

Update 04-25-2011

Windstream finally admitted that there was an issue on there side and advised me that it would be months before a fix can be implemented. This is fine and dandy, but wait a minuet, I am still paying full price for a service they are not giving me. I never been robbed but this sure feels like it. Paying full price for something I am not getting!!!! Calling corporate in the am to request a refund for half of my internet price retroactive from December 2010 when this problem became unworkable. If I don't get it, I am going to make a couple of calls and will report back. If you are in the market for High Speed Internet in Abernathy TX consider the few but other options. If you just have to get it get the 1.5 meg service and you will be getting what you pay for then. You Have Been Warned.

update 04-16-2011:

I Updated to 12Mbps service quite a while back. Here is where the trouble began. I am 6 blocks from the CO, so I figured it would be more than worth it for the upgrade in speed. Boy was I mistaken. I have had more service tech out to my residence than you can shake a stick at. Tech support has been anywhere from maybe somewhat helpful to flat out rude to when I would contact them. I have had nothing but problem either the modem not syncing up or horrendously slow speeds. It is always a modem issue when you call tech support. I have been through about 5 of them to date. My last call to tech report was unreal. The tech was so rude to me that I asked to speak to his supervisor. I was pretty much told no. I insisted and he put me on indefinite hold. I hung up and called the corporate office. They were apologetic and stated that they would get this issue taken care of. (Yeah Right) . I received a call back from the support techs supervisor. She was apologetic also. I informed her that I had already called corporate and that they were looking into it. I did file a alleged "complaint" on the support tech that was rude to me. About a week went by and nothing had changed I called corporate again and asked them about my issue. They stated that they would look into it some more. A few days later I received a voice message from a higher tier tech that stated that there were some latency issues in my area and they were working on them. One more weeks goes by and I receive a call from the same tech stating that the issue has been resolved. I guess not for me. My speeds were at an all time low. I called him up ( yes I can call straight through to him now). For once they could actually see that there was a problem. A service tech was dispatched he poked a prodded. He finally proclaimed that the problem was a bad pair. He fixed it and was on his way. I received a call back from the higher tier tech stating that they had me fixed. My speeds at this time were the best that they have been since initial upgrade to 12Mbps. I reminded him that the problem I was experiencing manifested it self usually between 3pm and 6pm and would last into the wee hours of the AM. He agreed to leave the ticket open and call me back the following Monday. Here is where we are at present. Sure enough 3:30pm rolls around and my speeds are back down between 1Mbps and 2Mbps. The problem is still there. the problem starts around 3:30pm and persists to about 3 or 4am in the morning and then it is fine. It dose not take a rocket scientist to see what is going on here. My problem start about the time school is let out and people are getting home from work and last until about the time people are going to bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hopping the engineer I have been talking to will not give up and see this through. Will update when he calls back on Monday.

First Review:

Windstream has just taken over my old service provider Valor Telecom. So I am still trying to fill windstream out. I have had one period of outage since the take over ( which was on their side). I called in to tech support and found out about their equipment problem which affected Tx and Ok; they gave me an expected repair time .It was actually back up before the estimated repair time. They were very polite and helpful. The install was done by my old provider Valor telecom. My Ip address is dynamic. My speed is Download Max. Speed of 1.5 Mbps, Upload Max Speed of 384 Kbps. I received a Speed Stream 4200 modem with filters self install kit. I pay 34.95 for the service but get a $5.00 break so it ends up costing me 29.95. They only offer the one 1.5Mbps service here where I live; they do not offer anything faster. I am sort of hung over a barrel as far as broadband, I can use the problematic WISP or Windstream and be limited to my choice of speed packages. I am far from satisfied on this one. I will update this after living with the new company for a while.

Oh Yeah did not get my callback on Monday!!!

member for 10.7 years, 1204 visits, last login: 106 days ago

Comments:

Review by ccc8 See Profile

• Location: Mooresville,Iredell,NC
Bad "vpn connection is terrible"

speed is never as advertised. normal internet is slow. i work from home and vpn disconnects every 10 minutes at the most. that is unacceptable. i have read that the issue is the sagecom router, but i am looking for help on it.

Comments:

Review by REHAKES See Profile

• Location: Worthington Springs,Union,FL
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Smooth installation. Everything worked on first try."
Bad "Not as fast as some cable or FiOS, but only option except satellite.."
Overall "Barely acceptable. Only game in town, except satellite."

If cable broadband was available, I'd probably be using it rather than Alltel's ADSL offering, because I'd prefer cable's usually higher throughput speeds. However, after having to make-do with dial-up prior to Alltel's upgrade of the wire center serving my community, I jumped to order as soon as they announced availability. Their first-year special price discount of $15.00 off the regular monthly fee was an added plus, and I must admit that they could have had my business without the incentive.

The wait from date of order to due date was reasonable, and the service was live by 9:00 AM on the due date. Average throughput: 1150 kbps down / 128 kbps up. No speed-demon, but acceptable! The Speedstream ADSL modem and DSL filters arrived three days in advance of due date, and I was pleased to find that the modem contained a built-in user-configurable hardware firewall that acts as router, local DHCP and DNS server for sharing the connection, and the firmware also stores my User ID and password for automatic PPPoE logon. --All that, and free, with a 1-yr contract, although they did charge me for UPS shipping. The service uses Dynamic IP addressing, but since my ADSL modem stays on most of the time, the address hasn't yet changed.

Since I'm a computer professional, the supplied User Guide was a bit elementary, but contained all the information I needed, with the exception of one rather technical question relating to sharing the connection on my home-office network. I called their DSL support line, and the automated attendant was easily navigated without annoyances and the technician who answered within a reasonable wait was both pleasant and knowledgeable, had a ready answer for my question, and didn't automatically assume that I was a novice. A great experience!

I've only had one instance of difficulty with my DSL service since installation, and that was the morning after hurricane Jeanne passed by on its way north, just 35 miles from my house. Since the phone cabling is underground in my community, even though my electric power was out for five days, my phone service still worked, however there were periods off and on that first day, when the ADSL would work perfectly, but I couldn't make or receive voice calls on that line. In fact, the phone would ring occasionally, but on picking up the receiver, the line would be dead. But, the ADSL would still be working. Go figure! Of course, my portable generator kept my computer running -- except when I'd forget to refill the gas tank!. I reported the problem, and though the technician that took my call sounded a bit disbelieving, he took the info, and promised that it would be fixed by the next afternoon. It was. All in all, I'm a happy customer.

Added 11/23/04 -- I've since learned that the phenomenon with ADSL working and voice not working on a phone line is not uncommon. Not quite sure why, but it has something to do with their equipment at the wire or switch center. Just received an e-mail from Alltel in which they announced that they've upgraded my ADSL service to give upload speeds of 384kbps -- and at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE!! That works out to 1536/384 claimed speed. I just had to check that out, and the speed test shows an average this evening of 1150/238. Not as good as claimed, but everybody knows the claimed speeds are always "best possible under ideal conditions" -- and ideal conditions rarely exist. Still a happy customer!!

Added 05/30/05 -- Speeds now averaging a bit better than on my earlier post, and now 1270/280. Still not as fast as the RoadRunner service I got spoiled with at my last residence, but that's not available out here in the "boonies," so I'm happy. Alltel is to be commended for making DSL available in my tiny (population - under 200) community! The few glitches I've experienced have been quickly fixed by their capable techs.

Added 12/28/05 -- Early this past summer (August, I think) I opted to accept Alltel's offer of higher speed service, which they advertised as 3MB down and 384K up. After that was activated, I saw my average d/l speed jump up to about 2.4MB and average u/l speed jump to about 300KB. Not too bad for DSL!! And I was a happy camper until late October or early November. At that point, I noticed my download speeds start being all over the map. Durung a single day, they might go from 2.4MB down to 16KB down, and then to 1.0MB down, and then to 600KB down, to connection failure.. Calls to their support center resulted in various explanations, from temporary outage in your area, or having equipment problems in your area, or doing an equipment upgrade in your area - please be patient. The problem has gone on; off and on, for almost two months. I'M NOT a happy camper, anymore!

Added 04/22/06 -- After a lengthy period of "iffy" wide d/l speed fluctuation, ranging from barely sufficient to be considered "broadband" to absolutely unacceptable, Alltel has finally been able to get the speeds stabilized and back to an acceptable range. I'm told that the increasing number of DSL customers and popularity of higher demand internet applications in my area was swamping the capability of the dsl concentrator's connection to the backbone. They finally got that upgraded, and speeds are now back to and sometimes exceeding the speeds I had been enjoying when I first upgraded to "DSL Ultra." Hopefully, they'll get my rural concentrator upgraded again soon, so I'll be able to get their new faster service, "DSL Extreme" (6MB-down).

Added 7/31/06

Speeds have remained pretty stable, in the neighborhood of 2.3MB. At latest check, the new faster 6MB-down service, "DSL Extreme" is not yet available. However, I'm told that it is available in the part of my phone exchange that's within three miles of the main switch. But, I'm on a sub-switch that hasn't been upgraded yet. They're making progress though, because when I had checked before, it wasn't available in any of my exchange. So far, no complaints about the merger of Alltel's landline and DSL service with Valor Telecom, that resulted in the new company, called Windstream! They;ve even made some cosmetic improvements in their website/customer portal. And, during the e-mail domain transition period (which I'm told may be as long as a couple of years) e-mail to my account at either "@alltel.net" or "@windstream.net" will get to me. --Neat!

Added 4/27/08

Speeds had been gradually deteriorating, over the past 12 - 15 months. Not so much, the maximum burst speed, but the average consistent speed. So much of a degradation as to make streaming web content unusable. Streaming video spent more time re-buffering that it did displaying a video. I'd contacted technical support several times, and got no real results. It used to be, prior to the advent of Windstream, that whenever I called technical support, I'd get a relatively knowledgeable, obviously US-based technician. Since the Windstream takeover, much of their technical support seems to have been outsourced to an off-shore operation, whose technicians' expertise seems to be grossly lacking. In fact, their answers to questions seem to be read from a script! And, their troubleshooting is obviously script-based. --Not to mention the language difficulties, since I'm not terribly proficient at deciphering badly mangled English!

After getting so completely disgusted with the slow, inconsistent data transfer speeds and the inability of the technical support department to offer any solution to the problem, I finally called the Business Office to discuss changing my DSL service plan to the speed range that I was actually experiencing. The representative seemed to understand my problem, and said that he'd go ahead and do that, but asked if I'd mind waiting on hold a moment, while he checked to see if he could offer a means of improving my service. I agreed. He checked and found that the ADSL2 (6mb speed) is not yet available in my area, which I knew, but he said that he'd also noted that my DSL modem, a Speedstream 5200, was very old, and he offered a free replacement to the current Speedstream 4200, so see if that would improve my DSL experience. I agreed, and he said that the new modem would arrive in 3 - 5 days.

The new modem arrived this past Friday afternoon. Its installation was uneventful, and I noted that my DSL speed improved immediately, and has been consistent at around 2.3 - 2.4mb. That's back to what it was, when I first upgraded to the 3mb d/l service. Kudos to the Business Office representative!! --And shame on the techs, for not thinking of the possibility of a marginally performing modem!

Updated March 5, 2009--

"Better late than never!' It may be an old adage, but it certainly applies to Windstream's reliability improvements and its Customer Service improvements!

They have finally implemented some late, but reasonably effective network improvements to allow for much-improved data throughput and overall speed and consistency. In addition, they've recently brought their customer support call-center back to an "on-shore" operation. This provides consumers who experience difficulties with a vastly increased likelyhood of reaching a native-English-speaking support representative.

It does appear that this company has responded to the many vocal customers who've complained; however tardy that response may have been!

Thanks for listening, Windstream!

Added 10/15/2010

I recently upgraded my DSL service to the 6-MB download level at a $5.00 monthly price increase (now totaling $34.95, monthly), and am quite happy. The upgrade even included a new DSL modem (Speedstream 4200 w/updated firmware), at no additional charge. It's now possible to view streaming video clips, with only a rare stall (Even watched the recent address to the joint-session of Congress by Pres. Obama, with NO problems.)! And, best of all, my at-the-switch service speed settings are: 380 up / 7195 down, and my tested speeds average 319 up / 5990 down. --Not at all shabby!!

Added: 07/22/2011

Still using the 6MB down tier, which is the fastest service available in this rural area! Actual speeds have been averaging 6.1 MB down and 59KB up. Late in 2010 the bandwidth reliability took a dive, and remained so until early 2011. Since early 2011, the biggest improvement has been in bandwidth reliability. Up until about 6 - months ago, attempting to watch any streaming video was too frustrating to be worthwhile! It would stall and re-buffer at least once per minute! Now, I can watch CNN's and MSNBC's video news clips, and even live news events and Netflix streaming movies, usually without any interruption. After all this time, I finally feel that I'm getting value received for my broadband dollar!!

Added 10/18/2012

The latency, frequent IP address changing (2 or 3 times/day), and d/l speed deterioration in the evenings problems started about six months ago. After calling tech support several times without any noteworthy resolution, I checked the Windstream forum on this site and noted that my problems were similar to those reported by many Windstream users in the Southeastern US. It appears that Windstream has not been able to properly serve a large portion of the rural customers it has added through its acquisitions and new sales. It looks like they have grossly oversold capacity.

Still on the 6MB d/l speed plan, and actual d/l is close to that between 3AM and 4PM, but it drops to less than 1.5MB between 5PM and 2AM; sometimes going as low as 0.6MB mid-evening.

I called the business office today and spoke to a representative who appeared to understand my problem, and indicated that the capacity problems should be resolved by year-end.

Since Windstream is the only game in town, I guess I'm stuck with waiting! I'll update this post in January, 2013.

Added: 04/21/2013

Ol' Windstream is STILL up to their typical antics! They have continued to fail to make good on promises. Their speed improvements have not materialized!!!

I'd dump them in a minute if I had another choice better than dial-up. I have service that I'd consider to be broadband between 3 or 4:00AM and 9 ro10:00AM. Between 9 or 10:00AM and 3 or 4:00AM it varies between 0.18 Mbps and 2 Mbps; and closer to peak evening hours gets worse!

Overall Rating: STILL ABYSMAL! FLEE, IF YOU CAN!

Bob Hakes

Comments:

citgo

@mycingular.net

bad

Really really bad company
No good service at all
Please do not get this service