Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by Gathis See Profile

• Location: Mill Spring,Polk,NC

Windstream started out ok, but in the last two years they have obviously picked up more customers in my area, without upgrading their facilities. This is gross incompetence. There doesn't seem to be any communication between their sales team and their service team. Otherwise these types of mistakes could have been avoided. Over selling a area without upgrades? This isn't a sound business practice. I pay for a 3mb service as this is all that is available to me. Three years ago they stayed at the 3MB speeds. Around July of 2011 things started going sour though. For nearly 5 months starting around early July I had half that speed or less, really high pings, and terrible tech support. It smoothed out a bit from Nov 2011 to June 2012 . Since mid June 2012 things have been horrible. I see a definite trend (School lets out) . It's odd that I could see it, but Windstream was caught flat footed? They either knew it was coming and didn't do anything to prevent it or they are incompetent. My speeds today....... .67 DL ..34 upload 280 Ping

According to tech support this will not be fixed until Sept 30th. OMG! 3:09 EST 7/26/12 »www.speedtest.net/result/2085753917.png

Last year around June WS admitted to overselling my DSLam and agreed that fiber must be ran to fix the issue. Also this issue has been going on since spring of 2011. Anyway, they gave me an ETR of fall of 2012. That rolled around and they changed it to December. That date came and went and they said Feb or the first of March sigh.......

They finally got the power company to change out many of the poles down the 3.8 miles of road to my DSLam.

Once they ran it then I was told it would be two to three weeks to get it switched over to us. The subs did everything in an orderly manner and set the new DSLam, including the power pole to feed it AC voltage. There is a new meter in from the power company and has been so for three weeks now.

This is where I feel my blood pressure rise. After three weeks of power on the new DSLam NO WORK has been done to switch us over, why? Because now I'm told that they are waiting on the pins to be delivered?

Seriously WS what the hell? You have known for nearly a GD year that you were running fiber. Why in god's name didn't you have that ordered to be ready when the fiber was done?

Are you sure you aren't a branch of the government or something, because you don't seem to have a clue concerning deadlines. FYI, that third ETR you gave me has come and gone again and my internet still sucks a monkey's ass!

Also the local WS engineer refuses to answer my calls or return messages. Does being on DSL reports mean that we get ignored as well?

I have been polite thus far but the patience phase of this debacle is over for me and my family, and I’d imagine for the rest of the people who are on this old DSLam as well

member for 2.1 years, 204 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:
djacks01

join:2009-01-22
Milledgeville, GA

Windstream : General Review

I've had Windstream (Greenstreak) service for several years now and pay ~$50/mo. for 6Mbps. Until this past June the service was OK, although I've gone through several malfunctioning modems. Windstream replaced the bad modems quickly = no problems. Then in June the service dropped off horribly. Not just slow connection speed but NO connection for several hours each and every day. Have talked with several semi-competent csr - they do not seem to have a clue about specific area problems and can only work from a formal script. Again they sent a new modem -Fast 1704- again no improvement. They sent three technicians - all three said the connection problem is not in the copper. One said that they (WS) are working on the lines - just down the road and the problem will be solved in August. One said that the company is have major latency problems "all over" and are working on it. As of today I am able to get on line (although slow) about 50% of the time and when I do the speed is about 50% of what I pay for. I am sorely disappointed with Windstream service.
Gathis

join:2012-07-25

Re: Windstream : General Review

Recently my brother in law moved to a rural area of NC that is served by a different ISP. He called them up for service and asked for a phone and broadband. Their answer to him was ," the phone service isn't a problem, however we cannot at this time give you broadband, as this would slow our existing customers".

When he told me what they said I was like....WOW! they really said that? He also said they put him on a waiting list so that if someone dropped their internet they would call him up and let him have a chance to get service.

I told this story to point out the gross negligence Windstream shows it's customers compared to the other company. I hold the CEO and upper management responsible for all the over subscriptions in these rural areas. I talked to the field techs and the specialist online ,and they totally know what the issue is. Unfortunately I don't think Windstream's CEO gives a damn.
I also know Windstream received a bunch of money from our taxes to improve rural areas, and the CEO got a hell of a raise as well. Yo MR. Gardner, oversubscribing areas isn't improving them!
I would like to point out that the techs here at DSL reports have been helpful.

I hope to update this review near Sept 30th (my ETR) with the good news that my internet is fixed.

Review by gfaith See Profile

• Location: Lovington,Lea,NM
Good "None anymore"
Bad "Download speed"
Overall "Totally pissed"

I have been with Windstream for over five years at the present location and have had few problems with disconnects. Recently upgraded to 6.0Mbps from 1.5Mbps and all seems to be going well of course I am only 1 mile from the CO. Strangely, I was paying $ 5.00/mo more for the 1.5Mbps than I am now paying for the 6.0Mbps, but I guess that was my fault for not checking into it before now.

Will update on my new 6.0Mbps as time goes by. About three years ago.. 2009 or 2010..

__________________________________________________________________________________

Amended review last 4 months have been horrible. Still purchase 6Mbps get .6Mbps or less during the peak hours (school kids out). I really noticed this bandwidth drop right around Xmas when everyone got their IPhones, Ipad. new laptops, new computers and everything else added to the local DSLAMs. Interesting to read my previous review over three years ago I was pretty pleased back then. No Longer not anymore WIN plays $ 1.00 annual dividends per share to share holders even when their stock sinks and their customers are searching for C4 and other explosives. No I am not advocating blowing anything up Windstream Headquarters is to far away from me q:o)

Anyway I used to test Ubuntu Linux back when I could actual download the isos no more no longer it take me to much time with my near dial-up speed now. Add me to the totally pissed user group

Comments:
gfaith
join:2008-08-27
Lovington, NM

Windstream doesn't claim New Mexico

Copied from Windstream add .. See New Mexico is not even listed..
No wonder my bandwidth sucks..

"Availability:
Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky, Nebraska, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas"

• Location: Marietta,Cobb,GA
Good "The phone lines work most of the time"
Bad "Heaven help you if you need any assistance, except for 1 person, no support at all"
Overall "Highly dysfunctional company with poor attitudes, except for 1 person."

We are a current customer of Windstream. When our contract is up (perhaps sooner) we will find another phone provider. Our issues primarily deal with support and billing. Windstream consistently makes mistakes with our bill. To find someone capable of correcting errors is next to impossible. We have a billing error we have been trying to have corrected for 4 months and it is still not fixed.

Next, trying to obtain support to make adjustments has been equally difficult. Something as simple as porting over a new number is beyond their basic capability. It has been 18 days now and many phone calls and I still have not been able to have the number ported properly.

The amount of time it requires on the phone to try and rectify any issue is remarkable. I cannot remember interacting with such a dysfunctional organization. Heaven help them, but they are starting to make the government look efficient.

My advice, find another phone service provider.

Atlanta Business User

(review was emailed from domain peoplesourcesolutions.com)

Comments:

KK4

alternate

I wish I could find an alternate. Windstream is aboulutly the worst Telephone, DSL, and cable.

Review by plastercrack See Profile

• Location: Albion,Erie,PA
Good "nothing"
Bad "0.20-0.57 speeds"
Overall "they should be in jail"

a normal speed is 0.57 lately it is 0.20. they rob me for 60.00 a month and nothing i can do about it. i have gotten the run around since the first day. i would go to satellite but the limited usage don't work for me. so i am stuck till hell freezes over. i wish there was something the fcc or someone could do about it. but with 900 million dollar profit last year that's not going to happen. there lobbyist own the fcc or they also just don't care. everybody just wants to collect a pay check and go home. while i just keep throwing 2.00 a day out the window. no utube, no ebay, no pandora not fast enough to do anything. windstream is buy far the worst experience i ever had. i have no signal for att, verizon, nothing. i am just stuck for now. time warner 2 miles down the road. i would pay a year in advance if they would come down here. this really sucks and buy looking up windstream reviews online there is nothing going to get fixed ever. they should be in jail.and screw the fcc and who ever else. there are hundreds of complaints and nothing gets done. windstream has over sold and we pay for it.windstream u suck. conneut township 16401

• Location: Orlando,Orange,FL
Good "NOTHING AT ALL!"
Bad "Service is HORRENDOUS, overpriced, and their customer service is a joke!"
Overall "STAY AWAY FROM WINDSTREAM!"

Our law firm's office in Miami had no choice but to obtain our internet and
phone services from Windstream Communications because our (former) office
building has an exclusive contract with them. For both internet and phone
services we were paying almost $200 a month. Not only is that price
outrageous, but their online site AND customer service SUCKS.

Then on November 12, 2013, they disconnected our services because we hadn't
been making payments regularly (times are hard for everyone, but we were
making payments, albeit late.) We had no problem with this because we were
very unhappy with them, so I them tried REPEATEDLY to contact them that
month to just complete disconnect our services and cancel our account with
them (as we were planning on leaving that building for a new office space
after 2012.) As mentioned above, their customer service and online site
SUCKS. I kept getting transferred between departments, and was on hold
repeatedly for how long - this kept occurring for a couple of weeks before I
FINALLY spoke with a customer service rep that I thought gave me the correct
information. I WAS WRONG. We still had no service but they were STILL
BILLING US - why on earth would you bill someone/a business if you cut off
their service?!?!? FINALLY after a second round of calls and BS, I spoke
with another rep that told me that I had to FORMALLY send in a letter that
requested our services be cancelled and account closed (via fax and email).

I got all this information FINALLY in the beginning of January 2013, and
promptly sent via fax AND email a letter requesting our services be
cancelled and account closed. I requested that a confirmation be sent -
NOTHING was sent to us. We were STILL being billed for services that we
were not getting (and not to mention their services SUCK!!) FINALLY the
attorney I work for got fed up, and decided to call them himself (which
should have not happened because he is the boss!) I was on the phone with
him, a rep, and the rep said that they would close our account and that we
were disputing the charges - this was mid-January. FINALLY on March 15, we
get an Email from a rep that they had OPENED a billing dispute and that they
would review everything. THIS IS FOUR MONTHS AFTER WE HAD NO SERVICE FROM
THEM!! FOUR FREAKING MONTHS!! I then reply to her with the fax
confirmation, letter and Email that I had sent back in January that we had
requested everything to be cancelled months prior, and she responds that
they will only credit us $50, but still have to pay over $500 for a service
that we were being billed for that we were NOT receiving. WHAT KIND OF B-S
is this?!?!?

If you are thinking of utilizing Windstream Communications, FIND ANOTHER
SERVICE PROVIDER!! PLEASE!! Their services suck, they are overpriced,
their customer service is HORRENDOUS, they obviously need to retrain their
employees and reevaluate their services, and the company just is complete
B.S.!

(review was emailed from domain delaTorreLaw.com)

Comments:

Review by DouglasW1 See Profile

• Location: Douglas,Coffee,GA
Good "NOTHING. Not a single good thing to say."
Bad "7 months of problems. 2% of the advertised speed. Worst company ever."
Overall "Awful, slow, unreliable DSL service. Lies, Lies, Lies. Avoid Windstream. RUN."

Final(?) Update 10 March 2013

I have left Windstream, thank GOD!

Am now using MEDIASTREAM cable Internet. So far so good. They had a "no contract" 12mbps deal, with 250 GB/month cap, which is not unreasonable. So far speeds are good (10-12 mbps downstream) with no complaints or outages, and my bandwidth usage is averaging less than I expected.

WINDSTREAM is currently saying they will fix much of GEORGIA this year:
»ftpcontent.worldnow.com/wgcl/WGC···eam2.pdf ,
but they have been promising me that same lie for 8 months.

WINDSTREAM is the worst provider in the history of the Internet. They apologize and lie, but don't fix the problems. Their "high speed" service is a joke, sometimes running at LESS than dial-up speeds. They vastly oversubscribe certain areas, yet continue to sign up new customers there, promising speeds they can't deliver.

February 2013

Just wanted to let everyone know that Windstream has yet AGAIN pushed back the "fix" date for the horrible lack of speeds here. Problem was first reported in July 2012. A fix was PROMISED for October 2012 ("new equipment" to be installed in area). It did NOT help. Then they said April 2013 at earliest. Today (11 February) tech support says July 2013... maybe. Meanwhile, I am getting 2% of the speed I am paying for, when the Internet even works.

I've escalated this problem to the highest possible levels. The last email I received from a Windstream executive basically said they are helpless, have NO solid fix date, and suggested I should find another provider. I think they are tired of me filing complaints with the FCC, BBB, and state public service commission!

By the way, there is only one other provider here... a cable company with just as many complaints and problems, and with bandwidth caps that might be too low for someone like me who works from home and needs lots of bandwidth (I do a lot more UPloading than the average customer, and often have to upload/download large files).

02 January 2013:

Windstream is the WORST Internet provider EVER. Don't even think of signing up for their "service."
»www.speedtest.net/result/2407756317.png

21 December 2012: down to 0.1 mbps downstream... when it works at all.
---------------------------
Windstream has gone from awful to "I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy." They are the epitome of complete incompetence. I no longer can think of anything good to say about them.

I'm down to 0.1 mbps (on a 12 mbps "high speed" DSL package). That's about 1% of what I'm paying for:

»www.speedtest.net/result/2387595847.png

Going to look into leaving Windstream next week. After 11 good years with WS, these last 5 months have been awful. I can barely even run a Google search most days. The local Windstream office is a joke also; they have not returned a single one of my calls, and the manager is never available when I visit in person. The girls at the desk just shrug or give me blank looks when I ask for help. They promise their boss will call me "immediately" when he returns/turns on his cell/gets out of a meeting/etc. Still hasn't happened!

I basically have no choice but to switch. I can't work without reliable Internet access. Even dial-up was better than my current Windstream "high speed" package. Phone techs at WS told me recently that it will be March 2013 or later before anything changes. Wow, now that is (not) service. Cable company (my only other option) has bandwidth caps and 2 year contract, but at least they are NOT WINDSTREAM DSL.

And yes, Windstream continues to advertised for NEW Internet customers here in Douglas GA, which just drops everyone's speeds even more as more accounts get added. They can't support the current customers, and the "equipment upgrades" they did in October 2012 only helped a little bit... for a little while. Now speeds are worse than ever.

WINDSTREAM IS THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE DEALT WITH IN 30 YEARS OF ADULT LIFE. RUN LIKE HELL FROM THEM!

10 December 2012:
---------------------------
Finally talked Windstream into a partial month's credit for their complete lack of service. Doesn't make up for 5 months of horrible speeds, empty promises, incompetent tech support, or their many lies. And I shouldn't have to beg and threaten them to get credit for NON-service.

1 December 2012:
-------------------------
Quick update: Windstream Tech support just told me that they have a revised estimated date of fix for the latency/speed problems in Douglas GA area: March 2013. Ugh.

Local Windstream office (Douglas GA) still hasn't returned my calls. The manager is always "in a conference" or "out of the office." I am promised he will call me ASAP. Hasn't happened yet.

*** HOW IT ALL STARTED:

Here is background info, and the chronological order of events:

I have only basic phone service, and no long distance. I also negotiated a "competitive" discount of $10/month for not switching to the local cable company... not that it's doing me much good, since I can barely use the Internet as of September 2012. I've had Alltel/Windstream service for nearly 12 years. Here's the story of how it's gone from good to awful this year:

May 2012:
--------------------------------
Renewed my 12 mbps package with Windstream. Speeds are good (80% of promised, 80% of the time). I've been with Windstream (formerly Alltel here) for 11+ years. Service has usually been adequate, downtime rare, and some partial credits issued a couple of times in the past when service was out for more than a day.

Mid July 2012:
--------------------------------
Speeds are noticeably slower, often dropping to 6 mbps or lower. I'm a computer consultant and repair tech. I run ever test known to man, and find the problem is not my equipment.

I call tech support. They are unable to find problem. They promise to call me back within 48 hours, but never do. I call them back in 3 days; they say they sent someone out to the area, but found no problem. Finally, they agree there's still a problem.

Late July 2012:
--------------------------------
Speeds degraded, now averaging 3 to 4 mbps. My previous ticket was closed without resolution or my knowledge or permission. I communicate with a WS Live Chat tech rep, who promises that if I call Billing, they WILL issue partial credit for poor service.

I immediately call Billing. They refuse to issue credit, saying they don't know what the problem is, but claim it's my equipment (it's not).

Finally (more calls to tech support and more Live Chat), they admit an "outage" problem and open a new ticket.

Mid August 2012:
--------------------------------
In spite of good equipment tests, phone support insists on sending me a new modem/router (Sagemcom 1704). For the 3rd time I replace all filters, ethernet cords, phone lines, and test with multiple computers (PC and Mac) and multiple phone jacks in house. No difference whatsoever. Speeds are now averaging 3 mbps or less.

Some of my business customers, neighbors, and friends have reported to me the same problems with Windstream DSL in this town (I'm a computer consultant). I tell them to call Windstream, not me.

I call Billing. Again they refuse to issue any credit, saying that they must resolve the problem first. Huh? It's been over a month.

I contact a super-helpful Windstream rep (Pat) here on dslreports.com. She not only calls me at home, but quickly finds the real problem. Area is oversubscribed. Windstream cannot support their customers here with current equipment. New equipment is supposed to go online in early October 2012.

A phone rep again promises that "actually, if you call Billing, they will issue credit to your account."

I call Billing. They still refuse to issue credit. The rep actually laughs at my request, in spite of my documentation of the issue from a Tier II Windstream rep.

I file a complaint with the BBB and the state public service commission.

Early September 2012:
»www.speedtest.net/result/2162307482.png

Speeds are now in the gutter. Downstream is often less than 1 mbps, and sometimes there is no connectivity. Simple Google searches and speed tests often won't complete. I'm basically at just above dial-up speeds, except in the wee hours of the night.

I get initial replies from my official complaints. Windstream still claims I'm receiving 12 mbps service, even though I have documentation (my own, and from their Tier II tech) that I'm not, and the area has been oversubscribed. NO credit has been issued for poor/non-service. However, WS says they are aware of the problem, and are working to resolve it. Yay, right?

My next door neighbors complain, and get a $40 credit. I still get NO credit.

I reply to the messages from the Windstream officials (responding to my public service commission complaint) with the same information, and newer documentation, and again request credit to my bill. I thank them for their attention to the matter, and let them know I understand these things take time, equipment, and manpower to resolve. However, it is unacceptable to accept monthly payments from me, then NOT deliver the promised service, and NOT credit my bill even a penny.

Mid-September 2012
------------------------------

»www.speedtest.net/result/2192611222.png

In a second (third?) response to my complaint with the BBB, Windstream finally said they would issue me credit on my bill, since I am now getting less than 5% of the speed I am paying for. Speeds continue to degrade. At times I can't even do a Google search or a speed test (just times out).

Got my bill. No credit as promised. Maybe next month? Maybe it's time to switch to the cable company (which I've been avoiding, due to a 2-year contract and $$$ bandwidth caps).

Only positive note is the dslreports Windstream tech is keeping me informed (still no fix till October, maybe). She even left a message on my answering machine. Strange that the "normal" Windstream techs never called me back as they promised. Thank goodness for Pat from Windstream, here in the forums!

This is the BEST speed I've gotten today (on 12 mbps package):

»www.speedtest.net/result/2192593352.png

The worst was 0.06, along with 3 tests that wouldn't even complete.

It's official. My DSL UPstream is now faster than my downstream!

(cries into hanky. dial-up speeds, the horror).

1 October 2012
----------------------
Finally see a credit (for NEXT month) of $31.99 on my bill. Doesn't make up for 2.5 months of poor/non service, but it's something. You would not believe the time and number of emails, complaints, and phone calls I've had to make just to get this credit (my neighbors got $40 credit with ONE call, sigh). At this point I am exploring other options for Internet service (sadly, we currently only have Mediastream with bandwidth caps and poor reputation as an alternative to DSL Windstream).

»www.speedtest.net/result/2215279685.png

Today's best speed is 0.63 Downstream, 0.64 up (yep, sadly upstream is still faster) on a darn 12 mbps package! At this point I have absolutely nothing good to say about Windstream, other than their support tech here on dslforums is nice and has been the ONLY helpful person from Windstream.

19 October 2012
------------------------
Fixes were supposed to be in place by now, but there has been no change in horrible speeds and outages. Downstream is less than 0.5 mbps (on 12 mbps package!). Horrible, just horrible.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2251113451.png

As of 19 October 2012, my speeds are still less than 1 mbps on my 12 mbps Windstream package. Speeds have been degrading since mid-July 2012. Surfing is often impossible, with even simple Google searches timing out. New equipment to supposedly fix the issue in Douglas, GA is scheduled to be installed this month, says Windstream. [LATER UPDATED TO MARCH 2013 AT EARLIEST, SAYS WINDSTREAM. WTF ?]

27 October 2012:
--------------------------
Speeds are improving a bit some days, but are still all over the place. Windstream says new equipment is (finally) being installed, but will be a few more weeks before all is tested and fully online.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

12 mbps package, speeds less than 1 mbps:

»www.speedtest.net/result/2215279685.png

1 December 2012
--------------------------
Thoroughly disgusted with Windstream. They continue to lie to me, telling me speeds will be fixed "soon." In spite of "equipment upgrades" in the area about a month ago, my 12 mbps packages still often runs at only 1 mbps or LESS. Problem has NOT been fixed since I first reported it in mid-2012. Lots of promises. Many lies. NO FIXES.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2344489305.png

Filed another complaint (FCC). Not that it will help. My blood pressure is high these days, too.

~~~

Again, I thank the Windstream techs on dslreports.com for their assistance. And warn that the normal phone reps have not been helpful, and have not returned a single call as promised.

I also wish that Windstream would cease advertising for new Internet customers here (which just makes our speeds even slower!) until they get enough new equipment in place here. I hope WS gets their act together and becomes the nice and reliable company they once were. I also wish to wake up next to Keira Knightley.

*** see top of this review for current month updates

Comments:
Cessna729

join:2012-09-22
Winston Salem, NC

Slow internet

I live in NC and have been paying for the 10 mbps package for almost a year now. I may get 10 mbps 40% of the time, if I'm lucky. Several months ago I tried to get Windstream to correct the problem. I replaced 3 modems, the techs came out to check the outside box, etc. Of course the issue wasn't resolved. After talking to numerous call center techs and outside techs, I found out that they have over subscribed in my area. And of course, they are working to upgrade equipment (yeah, right). I am looking for another provider.

Re: Slow internet

Thanks for your comment. Your situation sounds much like mine. Oversubscribed area, and Windstream still adding new customers they can't support! If you aren't getting 80+ % of the promised speeds 80% of the time, they are cheating you.

I got nothing but runarounds and lies from phone reps and billing. The Windstream tech (Patricia) here at DSL forums has been the only person who provided me with straight answers or even returned a phone call. She has called me 2 or 3 times just to give me updates. If you haven't contacted the Windstream support reps here, I do recommend doing so.

If you haven't already, I suggest filing complaints with the BBB, your state service commission, and the FCC. It's apparently the only way to get Windstream's attention, sadly. And they should have to answer for their policy of blaming customers' computers and routers, when they know the actual problem (oversubscribed area/old equipment).

Do ask for credit. Don't take no for an answer. Ask to speak to a supervisor, and let them know you are filing the appropriate complaints (above) for failure to provide the service you are paying for. This is breach of contract by Windstream, and it's not legal.

Tell everyone you know of your experience. If Windstream loses enough customers, nationwide, maybe it will make a difference (as you say... yeah, right).

I wish you luck finding another provider. Our only other option here (Douglas, GA) is a cable company (Mediastream, who bought out Charter here) with poor reputation and bandwidth caps, and a required 2-year contract. Ugh. I will never sign a contract, knowing I might be in a situation like this Windstream one down the road!

Sad that many other countries I've visitied have 20-50+ mbps service and better customer service than most USA Internet providers. Of course, customer service is dead in America.

I read recently that some of the big USA telco providers are phasing out DSL service, as the technology has pretty much reached its limits. Just something to think about. Where are the fiber optic networks promised back in the 1980s? lol....
join:2012-06-11

Re: Slow internet

You do know that a failure to provide services adequately as stated in your Windstream contract means you can be released from that agreement with NO penalties?

Actually my guess is WS was waiting for you to simply ask out of the contract which they would have been happy to agree to since THEY were not providing services as agreed to. That allows you to terminate without any additional cost to you.

But then again why should they get off the hook for a fraudulent offer in the first place.

Re: Slow internet

I'd LOVE to leave Windstream, but the only other provider here has their own problems. Frying pan/Fire syndrome. And I have to have Internet for work Thanks for your reply and the info!
hillrj2

join:2012-12-11
Landrum, SC
·Windstream
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that hates them.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2409776984.png

I've had them for 7 years or so, it worked decent until around 4 months ago. Since then, I've been lied to over and over again. The only thing windstream does consistently is lie.

·Windstream
Going to try cable soon myself. Windstream is the worst company I have ever dealt with, period. My current speeds are down to 0.1 mbps downstream, when it works at all.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2387595847.png

I wish you luck!
kpatt2006

join:2012-08-14
Greensburg, KY

Re: Slow internet

This all sounds familiar. I've been in a latency outage since November 2011 getting less than 30% of my 3.0mbps speed. This past week I've been averaging around 0.15 - 0.30mbps and disconnecting every few seconds. Unfortunately, I went through the BBB and then FCC last year. Only thing that happened was both of them forwarded my complaint to the main offices, Windstream replied with sorry blah blah we appreciate your business and we'll fix it blah blah. After the BBB and FCC forwarded the Windstream response to me, that was the end of their efforts. The end. I have NO alternative in my area for internet and apparently consumers have no companies to look out for them anymore. Only information I've gotten from Windstream was from a rep on this site saying Q2 2013 equipment upgrades were scheduled. I've heard countless "fix" dates since 2011. I believe nothing this company says anymore. I really don't see how they stay in business.

Retired AF

@windstream.net

Same as your experience...

I live in Barney GA, and am limited to 3mb speed. My experiences are darn near exactly as the same as you have written over the past 6 months. If there was an alternative internet source I would certainly sign up. I even looked at using a phone hotspot but that limits access severely. Windstream customer service is atrocious. I did get a credit for one month back, but even though they admit that it is their equipment, and that they are working on it, they are adamant that I don't get any more credit, no matter how horrible the service. I am thinking of just dropping them and giving up internet at home. Yes.. the blood pressure is high... thanks for posting Douglas...

Russianblues

Daily Internet disconnects

Any other service in Jasper GA? Rural areas? Windstream disconnects every evening around 9:30 and will stay disconnected from 10 minutes to over an hour. Call repeatedly and response is "working on the problem. It is obvious they do not know how to repair it. I am writing upper management, and copying county. Very frustrated and need reliable internet service. Worse service and cannot understand why they are not receptive to their mission statement: reliable and quality service.... joke... I will move within 6 months and avoid any area requiring Windstream.
grits0555

join:2012-09-23
Hemphill, TX

lied to again

It's March 1 2013. I was told that the latency and drops would be fixed by Feb 29th. This has been going on for over 2 yrs. I have contacted the FCC and the Attorney General. Have added to my complaint yesterday. Someone has to do something to this co. There is no other co in my area like most customers. We live in small towns, with no other option. I am supposed to be getting 12 mgbs. Most of the time I get less than 1! Either we stay up until after midnight or get up around 6am to even be able to use it for the simplest things. Forget about playing online. My son is ill and it is his only contact to a few friends. He also wanted to finish his degree online. But Windstream does not care! There has to be something we can do as customers. I am so tired of the lies.

Review by TinCanMan See Profile

• Location: King,Stokes,NC
Good "the field techs are nice"
Bad "2 years with the same complaint"
Overall "I would get ANY other provider if possible"

I pay for 3M and get crap in the evening. If I was a casual surfer I prob wouldn't notice but IT is my, and my wifes, job so we need to be able to connect and work with what we are paying for. After two years of the same crap I have grown miserable of talking to their tech support and their spam answers and blame game. I would suggest avoiding this company if at all possible. If I have any suggestions to fellow subscribers in NC use this link:

www.ncuc.commerce.state.nc.us'

Comments:

Review by nathanroe72 See Profile

• Location: Senecaville,Guernsey,OH
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "DSL cheaper than AOL Dialup (with 10 bucks shaved off for Latency Outage)"
Bad "DSL slower than AOL Dialup. Phone never seems to work. "Upgrades" are joke. haha... see I'm laughing!"
Overall "Not worth the time, the money or the effort."

If you have options, take them... otherwise this company will bring you pain and suffering. I can't even begin to explain my frustration with this company in all aspects. Alltel was a great company... when WS came along they uprooted what Alltel had going and overloaded the network's capacity. Now this company is abandoning their mess after three years of BS. Hey WS why don't you show me how much your really love me and put it to me harder. I've gotten better service at a 7-11.

Comments:

Review by sbearden99 See Profile

• Location: Abernathy,Hale,TX
Bad "Pay for 6 Megs get maybe 1 meg-No competition"

Worked well for 3 years. Now they charge us for 6 meg, but only get 1 meg, but I can't change because there is no competitor.

Comments:

Review by Dwezal See Profile

• Location: Greensburg,Green,KY
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Oversold bandwith & do NOT care!"

2-23-13
Windstream still has not fixed the latency and speed issues. I don't think they care or ever plan on fixing them. I called Monday & cancelled my internet service.

9-13-12 Having problems going on for 9 months now with no resolution. Was told like so many with Windstream that my problems will be fixed. They give a date then the date comes & with nothing ever getting fixed. I'm being told now my issues will not be fixed until 2013, which they probably won't ever be fixed because they don't care! During peak times speed & latency are horrible and all they want to due is offer me a $10/month credit for a year. Do yourself a favor & stay away for this ISP.

member for 10.4 years, 2336 visits, last login: a few hours ago