Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by REHAKES See Profile

• Location: Worthington Springs,Union,FL
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Smooth installation. Everything worked on first try."
Bad "Not as fast as some cable or FiOS, but only option except satellite.."
Overall "Barely acceptable. Only game in town, except satellite."

If cable broadband was available, I'd probably be using it rather than Alltel's ADSL offering, because I'd prefer cable's usually higher throughput speeds. However, after having to make-do with dial-up prior to Alltel's upgrade of the wire center serving my community, I jumped to order as soon as they announced availability. Their first-year special price discount of $15.00 off the regular monthly fee was an added plus, and I must admit that they could have had my business without the incentive.

The wait from date of order to due date was reasonable, and the service was live by 9:00 AM on the due date. Average throughput: 1150 kbps down / 128 kbps up. No speed-demon, but acceptable! The Speedstream ADSL modem and DSL filters arrived three days in advance of due date, and I was pleased to find that the modem contained a built-in user-configurable hardware firewall that acts as router, local DHCP and DNS server for sharing the connection, and the firmware also stores my User ID and password for automatic PPPoE logon. --All that, and free, with a 1-yr contract, although they did charge me for UPS shipping. The service uses Dynamic IP addressing, but since my ADSL modem stays on most of the time, the address hasn't yet changed.

Since I'm a computer professional, the supplied User Guide was a bit elementary, but contained all the information I needed, with the exception of one rather technical question relating to sharing the connection on my home-office network. I called their DSL support line, and the automated attendant was easily navigated without annoyances and the technician who answered within a reasonable wait was both pleasant and knowledgeable, had a ready answer for my question, and didn't automatically assume that I was a novice. A great experience!

I've only had one instance of difficulty with my DSL service since installation, and that was the morning after hurricane Jeanne passed by on its way north, just 35 miles from my house. Since the phone cabling is underground in my community, even though my electric power was out for five days, my phone service still worked, however there were periods off and on that first day, when the ADSL would work perfectly, but I couldn't make or receive voice calls on that line. In fact, the phone would ring occasionally, but on picking up the receiver, the line would be dead. But, the ADSL would still be working. Go figure! Of course, my portable generator kept my computer running -- except when I'd forget to refill the gas tank!. I reported the problem, and though the technician that took my call sounded a bit disbelieving, he took the info, and promised that it would be fixed by the next afternoon. It was. All in all, I'm a happy customer.

Added 11/23/04 -- I've since learned that the phenomenon with ADSL working and voice not working on a phone line is not uncommon. Not quite sure why, but it has something to do with their equipment at the wire or switch center. Just received an e-mail from Alltel in which they announced that they've upgraded my ADSL service to give upload speeds of 384kbps -- and at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE!! That works out to 1536/384 claimed speed. I just had to check that out, and the speed test shows an average this evening of 1150/238. Not as good as claimed, but everybody knows the claimed speeds are always "best possible under ideal conditions" -- and ideal conditions rarely exist. Still a happy customer!!

Added 05/30/05 -- Speeds now averaging a bit better than on my earlier post, and now 1270/280. Still not as fast as the RoadRunner service I got spoiled with at my last residence, but that's not available out here in the "boonies," so I'm happy. Alltel is to be commended for making DSL available in my tiny (population - under 200) community! The few glitches I've experienced have been quickly fixed by their capable techs.

Added 12/28/05 -- Early this past summer (August, I think) I opted to accept Alltel's offer of higher speed service, which they advertised as 3MB down and 384K up. After that was activated, I saw my average d/l speed jump up to about 2.4MB and average u/l speed jump to about 300KB. Not too bad for DSL!! And I was a happy camper until late October or early November. At that point, I noticed my download speeds start being all over the map. Durung a single day, they might go from 2.4MB down to 16KB down, and then to 1.0MB down, and then to 600KB down, to connection failure.. Calls to their support center resulted in various explanations, from temporary outage in your area, or having equipment problems in your area, or doing an equipment upgrade in your area - please be patient. The problem has gone on; off and on, for almost two months. I'M NOT a happy camper, anymore!

Added 04/22/06 -- After a lengthy period of "iffy" wide d/l speed fluctuation, ranging from barely sufficient to be considered "broadband" to absolutely unacceptable, Alltel has finally been able to get the speeds stabilized and back to an acceptable range. I'm told that the increasing number of DSL customers and popularity of higher demand internet applications in my area was swamping the capability of the dsl concentrator's connection to the backbone. They finally got that upgraded, and speeds are now back to and sometimes exceeding the speeds I had been enjoying when I first upgraded to "DSL Ultra." Hopefully, they'll get my rural concentrator upgraded again soon, so I'll be able to get their new faster service, "DSL Extreme" (6MB-down).

Added 7/31/06

Speeds have remained pretty stable, in the neighborhood of 2.3MB. At latest check, the new faster 6MB-down service, "DSL Extreme" is not yet available. However, I'm told that it is available in the part of my phone exchange that's within three miles of the main switch. But, I'm on a sub-switch that hasn't been upgraded yet. They're making progress though, because when I had checked before, it wasn't available in any of my exchange. So far, no complaints about the merger of Alltel's landline and DSL service with Valor Telecom, that resulted in the new company, called Windstream! They;ve even made some cosmetic improvements in their website/customer portal. And, during the e-mail domain transition period (which I'm told may be as long as a couple of years) e-mail to my account at either "@alltel.net" or "@windstream.net" will get to me. --Neat!

Added 4/27/08

Speeds had been gradually deteriorating, over the past 12 - 15 months. Not so much, the maximum burst speed, but the average consistent speed. So much of a degradation as to make streaming web content unusable. Streaming video spent more time re-buffering that it did displaying a video. I'd contacted technical support several times, and got no real results. It used to be, prior to the advent of Windstream, that whenever I called technical support, I'd get a relatively knowledgeable, obviously US-based technician. Since the Windstream takeover, much of their technical support seems to have been outsourced to an off-shore operation, whose technicians' expertise seems to be grossly lacking. In fact, their answers to questions seem to be read from a script! And, their troubleshooting is obviously script-based. --Not to mention the language difficulties, since I'm not terribly proficient at deciphering badly mangled English!

After getting so completely disgusted with the slow, inconsistent data transfer speeds and the inability of the technical support department to offer any solution to the problem, I finally called the Business Office to discuss changing my DSL service plan to the speed range that I was actually experiencing. The representative seemed to understand my problem, and said that he'd go ahead and do that, but asked if I'd mind waiting on hold a moment, while he checked to see if he could offer a means of improving my service. I agreed. He checked and found that the ADSL2 (6mb speed) is not yet available in my area, which I knew, but he said that he'd also noted that my DSL modem, a Speedstream 5200, was very old, and he offered a free replacement to the current Speedstream 4200, so see if that would improve my DSL experience. I agreed, and he said that the new modem would arrive in 3 - 5 days.

The new modem arrived this past Friday afternoon. Its installation was uneventful, and I noted that my DSL speed improved immediately, and has been consistent at around 2.3 - 2.4mb. That's back to what it was, when I first upgraded to the 3mb d/l service. Kudos to the Business Office representative!! --And shame on the techs, for not thinking of the possibility of a marginally performing modem!

Updated March 5, 2009--

"Better late than never!' It may be an old adage, but it certainly applies to Windstream's reliability improvements and its Customer Service improvements!

They have finally implemented some late, but reasonably effective network improvements to allow for much-improved data throughput and overall speed and consistency. In addition, they've recently brought their customer support call-center back to an "on-shore" operation. This provides consumers who experience difficulties with a vastly increased likelyhood of reaching a native-English-speaking support representative.

It does appear that this company has responded to the many vocal customers who've complained; however tardy that response may have been!

Thanks for listening, Windstream!

Added 10/15/2010

I recently upgraded my DSL service to the 6-MB download level at a $5.00 monthly price increase (now totaling $34.95, monthly), and am quite happy. The upgrade even included a new DSL modem (Speedstream 4200 w/updated firmware), at no additional charge. It's now possible to view streaming video clips, with only a rare stall (Even watched the recent address to the joint-session of Congress by Pres. Obama, with NO problems.)! And, best of all, my at-the-switch service speed settings are: 380 up / 7195 down, and my tested speeds average 319 up / 5990 down. --Not at all shabby!!

Added: 07/22/2011

Still using the 6MB down tier, which is the fastest service available in this rural area! Actual speeds have been averaging 6.1 MB down and 59KB up. Late in 2010 the bandwidth reliability took a dive, and remained so until early 2011. Since early 2011, the biggest improvement has been in bandwidth reliability. Up until about 6 - months ago, attempting to watch any streaming video was too frustrating to be worthwhile! It would stall and re-buffer at least once per minute! Now, I can watch CNN's and MSNBC's video news clips, and even live news events and Netflix streaming movies, usually without any interruption. After all this time, I finally feel that I'm getting value received for my broadband dollar!!

Added 10/18/2012

The latency, frequent IP address changing (2 or 3 times/day), and d/l speed deterioration in the evenings problems started about six months ago. After calling tech support several times without any noteworthy resolution, I checked the Windstream forum on this site and noted that my problems were similar to those reported by many Windstream users in the Southeastern US. It appears that Windstream has not been able to properly serve a large portion of the rural customers it has added through its acquisitions and new sales. It looks like they have grossly oversold capacity.

Still on the 6MB d/l speed plan, and actual d/l is close to that between 3AM and 4PM, but it drops to less than 1.5MB between 5PM and 2AM; sometimes going as low as 0.6MB mid-evening.

I called the business office today and spoke to a representative who appeared to understand my problem, and indicated that the capacity problems should be resolved by year-end.

Since Windstream is the only game in town, I guess I'm stuck with waiting! I'll update this post in January, 2013.

Added: 04/21/2013

Ol' Windstream is STILL up to their typical antics! They have continued to fail to make good on promises. Their speed improvements have not materialized!!!

I'd dump them in a minute if I had another choice better than dial-up. I have service that I'd consider to be broadband between 3 or 4:00AM and 9 ro10:00AM. Between 9 or 10:00AM and 3 or 4:00AM it varies between 0.18 Mbps and 2 Mbps; and closer to peak evening hours gets worse!

Overall Rating: STILL ABYSMAL! FLEE, IF YOU CAN!

Bob Hakes

Comments:

citgo

@mycingular.net

bad

Really really bad company
No good service at all
Please do not get this service

Review by jhelmick See Profile

• Location: Lincoln,Lancaster,NE
Bad "BAD? I dont think its even that good!"
Overall "getting $10/month credit because they know their service sucks"

Several months ago I had connection issues, after several calls and several trips for techs to come out and 3 modems later I am able to hold a connection. I realize I am on the edge of DSL service and I knew that going in, but had tests done that would confirm a 1.5 tier service, And have had fairly consistent results for 6 or 7 years. Recently I have had extremely CHOPPY service, I run a Speedtest.net test and is would be slow, stall or even timeout during the test. This is fairly routine in the evening hours. I had the "Windstream Agent" I think they call it, pop up to diagnose my internet, and it would timeout thus causing another "agent" to pop up. My home is in a rural area with a limited amount of homes in the area, so I don’t think they have oversold the bandwidth that bad but who knows. The most frustrating thing is calling for service and getting the same old run around, Latest I was told they were aware of the problem and will be fixed within a few days. Typically on my 1.5 tier I download at about 1.28 k/bs, I can have results from .15 up to 1.28. At this point I am seriously thinking of going back to what I had prior to DSL which was the "line of sight" antenna setup, which has service for my area of up to 3 meg, Once I confirm that I will tell Windstream to stick it.

Comments:

Review by DawsonvilleG See Profile

• Location: Dawsonville,Dawson,GA
Good "You will find other things to do with your time than use the internet."
Bad "You will have to find others things to do when you need to use the internet."
Overall "If you love throwing away money to thieves, you just hit the jackpot!"

Where can I start? If you have actually read any of the other reviews on Windstream and think that you still need to sign up with them, and that somehow your experience will be great, you need your head checked. For some reason, you like misery. And if you like misery, you will get misery. No doubt about it.

I could type paragraphs and paragraphs here. But I will not. I've already spent far too much time typing about all the crap these guys have been up to. Here is the bottom line. With every network, there comes a point when you have to add more equipment if your customer base is growing. This is done to make sure all of the current customers can continue to get the speed they pay for while allowing for growth. And how do I know this? Because I am a consultant for a major computer vendor who consults companies like Windstream. That said, do you think Windstream has followed this standard as a best practice in its own environment? Absolutely not! So if you decide to sign up and seem to be getting the speed you agreed to pay for, just wait. Your speed will slow down like all the others as soon as Windstream adds to many customers in your area. And when you call and complain, and call and complain, they will tell you they are sorry for the difficulty due to rapid growth. But remember this... They did not have to put too many customers on your equipment that you share with too many people. They CHOSE to add them on and screw you over!

Now, if you complain enough... you may get someone to give you a date when you will be fixed. And because you are a rookie to all this and ignored what the other reviews here say, you will hope they stick to that date and get you fixed. And once again, you will be disappointed. They will tell you there is a delay and offer to give you a credit (if you complain enough). And when that new repair day comes, you will hear yet again there is another delay. If you continue complaining, you may get some additional information out of them. But it will be bad news. They will tell you that now they don't have enough money to get you fixed. They will say they are victims and need the government to give them money to get you fixed because they cannot keep up with the rapid growth of people they CHOSE to put on your network.

Are you still thinking of signing up with them after reading this and all the other reviews on here? Then be my guest. If you are about to say that that is all you have, think again. Go check out excede satellite internet and consider that. Yeah. I know excede is not unlimited. But... how good is unlimited when you only get 0.26 Mbps download speed in the evenings because Windstream CHOSE to congest your network? Or find something else. How about dial up? Ever heard of that? Don't laugh. Many times Windstream customers have found themselves stuck with speeds slower than dial up!

Last, if you ever hear of a local municipality in your area trying to provide internet to your area, consider why. Most likely they are doing it because Windstream is not doing what they promised to do. And you know how Windstream will handle this new competition? They will lobby your state Government to pass a bill that will keep municipalities from creating their own Internet service and competing with Windstream. And before you think that is crazy and no state would ever let that happen, think again! They already pulled this off in North Carolina and other states. And why would they spend money lobbying these legislators to pass such a ridiculous piece of legislation? Because it is cheaper to pay the politicians off than it is to do the right thing and buy the equipment that is needed to fix their customers.

Want some proof to back up what I said? Check out these links...

»www.cbsatlanta.com/story/2155103···te-house

»www.cbsatlanta.com/story/2155800···t-speeds

»stopthecap.com/category/provider···cations/

»www.muninetworks.org/tags/tags/hb-282-2013

Comments:

IH8Sn0wFal

join:2012-03-01
Broken Arrow, OK
·Windstream

Agreed..

I complete agree, watched the videos and though itis crazy what they are trying to do. i am in a "Rural" are, no other ISP's and we pay for 6mbps, get a 150ms ping 3-4 download not peak usage, normally offline during peak usage..
Horrible Company..

Review by wallenator7 See Profile

• Location: Crescent City,Putnam,FL
Good "Nothing Much"
Bad "Too Many to Name"
Overall "Worst ISP I've ever had to deal with"

My story is pretty much the same as other reviewers. Windstream offers the only broadband service in my area. I've been a customer of them for about 8 years. The advertise 12 Mbps download. I rarely, if ever, get that speed. They basically oversell until the latency is ridiculous. Then they upgrade which has happened twice to me and takes about a year to complete. During the upgrade process, I typically only get 1 - 3 Mbps download. They continue to charge for the the 12 Mbps, however. Customer service is horrible. Promised call backs don't happen. Nobody seems to be able to tell exactly what the problem is. Last time I called to complain about the time it takes to complete the upgrades, a rep. finally admitted that it takes so long because it's a multi-million dollar process. There is no commitment to improve their infrastructure, particularly in small markets. If there was a broadband alternative, I would jump ship in a second.

Comments:

Jasper

Terrible

I have never had worse connection inmy life. I havel lived in florida for 30 years and never had a carrier with a worse connection. sometimes drops 100 times in a day.

Review by pickettj See Profile

• Location: Inman,Spartanburg,SC
Good "on-site techs are honest and sincerely try to correct what they can"
Bad "waiting for phone support to struggle reading through support script"
Overall "provider of last resort in rural SC"

I have had windstream DSL since late 2011. Until October of 2012 the service was exactly what I expected - about 4-5MB down on 6MB provisioned line, with support calls every couple of months for outages. Phone support was perfunctory, but local support techs were helpful and usually got things corrected quickly.

Starting in October of 2012 service was noticeably worse. Ping times of 300+ combined with 1-2MB down for most of the day was the norm. Service calls every couple of weeks. Since the start of 2013 a distinct change in service response - the phone support staff use "network latency" as an excuse for everything. Standard response to inquiries as to when problems would be fixed is "sometime in 2013." Refused to let me speak to anyone else regarding the problems on my line. For the last week internet unusable. Exactly as I would expect an unregulated monopoly to behave.

Comments:

lee257

poor service

As the one other reviewer experienced, service is simply terrible. Latency times are unacceptable, customer service is for all purposes nonexistent. The only times we can use the internet are before 8 AM weekdays and after 1 AM. Other times it's so slow most attempted connections simply time out or the connection is dropped. Not unusual to experience 10 - 15 drops in a 2 hour internet session. Our neighbors all have the same complaints, and when we have asked for a tech to come check our modem or line, CS simply said they were not sending techs out for internet support. Quite a company.

kk4pvk

@myvzw.com

poor service in north GA

Wind stream is one of the worst ISP in the universe. I have two DSL lines and when my 6 mob DL is not working usually the other 3 mob is. But today neither is. Keep getting proxy error. It is so bad I am using my Verizon Android to write this. Called Tech support and they wanted me to flush my browser cache , what is that for? I am so disgusted. Cant get fiber and stuck with bad intermitant. service. I was told few months ago it was over utilized circuits. So they don't plan for growth? What a crappy company.

Review by Gpickard See Profile

• Location: Springfield,Effingham,GA
Good "No."
Bad "Everything possible, Terrible ping mostly all the time, Terrible DL and Upload."
Overall "Completely terrible, Cant use anyone else. Sucks."

We've been dealing with windstream for four years or so now and as i am a person with a muscle disease (Limgirdle muscular dystrophy) the internet is my lifeline for a social life and just to have fun. The isp windstream fails to even provide a decent amount of ping and dl speed. its so bad that i just get frustrated over and over knowing there is nothing we can do about it, We call tech support and recieve the same excuses and what not "Theres a problem in your area" blah blah. Its rediculous, Our ping times for the last few months vary HIGHLY. For an hour around 1 pm they will be low and fine (Average for us is like 200-300 kb/s dl speeds and pings around 100) --This is fine usually. But completely randomly our internet will shoot up to pings of 400-1500 pings, No literally i've seen it at 1300-1500 for 2 hours. The only times the internet isnt comletely terrible is late late at night (12pm past that until next noon) Windstream just makes me completely depressed due to the soul fact of that they dont care for their customers because they dont have to (For us atleast) We've no other ISP or any other possible Internet provider in our area, Its depressing, Windstream just gets off having no competition for my area so in return they shaft us of good service. Sorry for the rant, This is just vet aggravating to me. Thanks guys, Hope we can see some change in the future with this terrible ISP.

Comments:
UGHWINDSTREM

join:2012-12-21
Aurora, OH
·Windstream

Windstream does stink

I also have windstream they do suck quite a bit for 3 years now i been having terrible speeds but after all this time on the 12th of april there's going to maintenance for the area i'm in to get new equipment. So when the time comes you'll probably get new equipment and have an enjoyable service.

Btw.. I hope you limb-girdle muscular dystrophy gets better! That's something hard to deal with i feel bad for what you have to go through...

Review by Prodious See Profile

• Location: Saint Matthews,Calhoun,SC
Good "cant think of anything"
Bad "everything"
Overall "if only i had another choice"

Wind stream is the worst and only company for ISP in my area. When i first signed up for internet with them all was good. We have a bundle package with them and i was told when trying to upgrade to higher speeds that 12mpbs was what i was going to get. That was a blatant lie. I was getting 3mbps on my bill, and told later that was the max in my area.

The higher ups like managers will not put the time to listen to your internet problems and do nothing but lie when it comes to refunds, adding things to bill without asking, diagnostics, repairs, and upgrades.

Customer support on the phone is the worst trained support that I've had to listen to after being on hold for 30mins. I have never had a problem fixed for as long as we have been with them. I've had many of them hang up on me.

They have never returned a call, never sent a tech out to home when they said they would.

The company is down right:
not keeping equipment upgraded,
oversubscribing areas,
adding monthly charges to bill without notifying customers until they are caught and still wont refund you.

I wish another ISP that knows what they are doing would set up shop in my town so wind stream would be in computation so problems would be fixed.

Comments:

Review by GearheadX See Profile

• Location: Hilliard,Nassau,FL
Good "The only show in town."
Bad "Completely incapable of delivering service."
Overall "If you have anyone else you can go with, go with someone else."

We originally purchased our DSL through Alltel until they were bought out by Windstream. Since then there has been a continual degradation of service. There is little to no evidence that they plan ahead and reinforce their infrastructure ahead of selling to new clients and will oversell until a DSLAM can no longer function.

Resolution times when this happens are measured in months. There are others on this site who have written reviews talking about years-long problems with their service and I cannot disagree with them.

If we could go with someone else, we would. We cannot, and therefore have to take our lumps, dealing with evening bandwidth loss and latencies in excess of 300 with spikes as high as 900. It is not the service we are paying for. It is not the service we want. But it is the service we have been informed we are going to get. Maybe until the end of the year. (This review is being written in September of 2012.)

I'm afraid I'm not going to hold my breath on seeing satisfaction.

EDIT:

2-24-2013: Our end-of-year repair date came and went, and was pushed back to the end of February. Latest communication from a Tier 2 tech claims we're presently on target for an end of March repair date. A letter forwarded to us in response to an FCC complaint indicates there is NO known target date for the repairs needed to get the network back up and running and our account as a ten dollar discount on it until September of this year. I am unable to actually use my internet service for anything save, perhaps, browsing the mobile versions of websites on particularly bad nights.

4-2-2013: It's beyond the end of March and supposedly the equipment is installed, however our 'repair' date is apparently just an 'install' date and it will be another four to six weeks for them to transfer the clients from the old hardware to the new hardware. Let's recap. My end of the year repair date set back in September was pushed to the end of March and we're now looking at the end of April or the middle of May before the repair will be complete. At this point is has taken them four months to delay an additional four months and it will be an additional month to month and a half before IN THEORY the problem will be resolved. If they complete the repair of my services in the remaining time they have stalled for they will have taken in excess of nine months to repair local service for a single road one and a half miles north of local city limits, off of which there are no additional paved roads.

Comments:
Blharrison51

join:2013-05-18
Hilliard, FL

Windstream DSL Horrible! Hilliard FL, Nassau County

I feel your pain! I've had dsl service with Windstream for several years and since early last year have been having constant/daily loss of dsl service and low speeds. I call them every few months and ask what the problem is and they tell me they are "upgrading the system" and we will soon have consistent service and higher speeds available. They have been telling me that since 2010! I made a call to them in the middle of March this year and the rep says that all upgrades/repairs will be made by June 30th 2013! I called them today because I want to rip their modem out of the wall, but, as you know, they are the only "high-speed" game in town. My current paid for speed is 3mb but I'm lucky to get 1.0mpbs. I can literally sit and watch the Speedstream 4300 modem lose dsl connection numerous times throughout the day! Yet, the tech answer is that "yes, we see that you had some drops, but the modem connection in your house is fine"......Laughable. Of course, the next thing the tech's say is that it must be my wireless router. I have replaced my wireless router on three different occasions with windstream dsl service and I have the same problem. It's not my wireless router. I don't like paying for service that I am not getting on a consistent basis! It's like purchasing 20 gallons of gas and only getting 3 gallons. I can not imagine running a business like that. What choice do we have? I really hope they are not lying this time.....perhaps June 30th is the end all date - but I'm not getting my hopes up. I've thought about calling them each and every time my internet signal drops.

Review by smitty1234 See Profile

• Location: Sanford,Lee,NC
Good "Nothing at all"
Bad "Connection, Customer Service, Fees"
Overall "If you can, go with anyone else"

So we have had Windstream for a little over a year now, and are beyond unhappy with their service. To start off, they were billing us for a faster service and when we realized we were not getting those speeds, they told us "oh you can't get higher than 3mgbs in your area, we will fix your bill." They did and gave us a credit for the bill, but chances are if we had not caught it, they probably never would have done anything. So we are supposed to be getting 3mgbs, but we barely see 2mgbs. And it has been that way from the beginning. In the last 4 months our speed has gone down to almost non existent, and everytime we call them it is some new excuse. We have had techs tell us everything from, "oh we are working on the lines," to "there are just so many new users on the system that it's slowing down your speeds." The last tech that came out told us that they plan on updating the main system for our area sometime this year, but can't say when. He then told us to go to the McDonalds up the street and use their free WiFi if we needed to use the internet that badly. Considering I go to college online, I'd say I need it badly. He also said we should call and ask for a reduction in our bill due to not having any connection. We currently pay $110 a month for service we can't even use anymore. We have not been able to get a page to load in over a month. So my husband called and asked about getting some money knocked off our bill. They told him they don't ever do that and there is nothing they can do for us as far as fixing our service, that we will just have to deal with it until they update their systems, to which they told him is not scheduled to happen in 2013 for our area. So my husband then said he was going to drop them at the end of the month due to the horrible connection, awful customer service and being told so many different stories by so many different techs. All they had to say was, "that's fine." Worst customer service ever. So we are now at a crossroads because Windstream has a monopoly in our area and we cannot get service through any other provider than Charter. And because our lovely builder made our driveway so long, Charter is refusing to come install service for us claiming the lines are too far from the house due to our driveways length. I swear I feel cursed LOL. It was odd though, after my husband said we were going to cancle our service, the internet worked wonderful for 1 whole week. Now it is back to working like trash, and I know there is nothing we can do. I guess our only option is to get a wireless hotspot from AT&T or something. Windstream is seriously the worst company I have ever dealt with. If you can get service though any other company, then do so. Windstream will only give you problems.

Comments:

MadInOhio

Outrageous!!!

This story spounds exactly like what we were told. Internet has been getting slower and slower and at times does not work at all. Called customer service and was told we would be connected to a special team who dealt with problems like we were having. Rep. acknowledged there was a problem, read a prepared script, told us we should only rely on the Internet for basic service and email and, offered us 2 options: subscribe to DISH satellite internet service or disconnect with them. When asked about bill reduction since we were not getting the service we were paying for each month, we were told absolutely not since the service was able to reach our house, so we owed the full amount for it. Windstream also operates a monopoly in our area. We were also told there would be no fix for this problem in the year 2013 and they could not tell us when there would be. I have contacted local government and county government. They could offer no help since Windstream is a private operate-for-profit company. They did suggest calling in to the Public Utilities Company for Ohio and and offer documentation that our speeds are slow to none, and at the mimimum press them for reducing bills for customers where they acknowedge a problem but offer no viable solution. We are running speed tests to document and will be forwarding them to state agencies to see if we can gather a movement to pressure Windstream into serving customers - or at least prevent them from taking our money. If everyone can do the same for their state, perhaps we can all be heard!!! Right now, Windstream refuses to hear us.

Review by fowlrock See Profile

• Location: Bradshaw,York,NE
Good "A connection to the internet"
Bad "lack of speed and no internal communication"
Overall "Looking for an Internet Service Pretender? Welcome to Windstream!"

have had Windstream/Alltel DSL for 2 years. 3mb was all that was offered company wide at the time. 6MB came out last april, but was told my CO could not handle it. Have talked with the local techs many times and know that the CO is fiber fed, and has a capable DSLAM (Stingray).....but Windstream is too cheap to pony up the card to allow 6mb. Instead, they are upgrading other areas to 12MB and leaving other behind. Good Business means taking care of ALL of your customer. Not happy with this crap connection when FREAKING AUSTRAILIA just put up 2 billion to make sure 99% of their population could get at least 12mb service. Capitalism at its best, Folks. Windstream is a joke, never should have divested from Alltel.

UPDATE 3-9-2012

12MB came to our area a few years ago, and I wish I could say it has been smooth sailing, but its been a joke. The major backhaul that serves eastern Nebraska has been severely over-sold, and the chances of getting a steady 4.5Mbps downstream during peak hours is about 1 in 30, literally. The rumor of bonded ADSL2+ and VDSL has been popping up via fliers and on-line chatter, with the hopes of a bigger pipe = larger bandwidth allocation. For current problems, I've complained to the FCC and Nebraska Public Service Commission, Windstream has made no attempts to appease. Tech support techs aren't given any real info and are virtually no help. Charter just ran a 92 count backbone fiber 3 blocks north of our home, I can only hope they will branch off into town so that I can switch to a company that actually innovates and improves their services in a competitive manner. I know that no ISP is perfect, but Windstream is at the back of the pack.

Update 3-25-2013

Another year, the problems just keep coming. Peak down/up is now about 1mb/60Kb. Off-peak at best is about 4mb/60Kb. Still paying for 12mb service. I have made over 12 phone calls, opened a thread in both the general Windstream forum as well as Direct Support, and have had two technicians out. They all like to use the term "latency outage"...but its purely a combination of an over saturated network and poor equipment. They've given a "repair" (Its not a repair unless something has failed) date, and they think 120 days is acceptable. This company is a joke, and under investigation in Georgia. I hope a national body of authority can get its' hands on Windstream and force them to provide the service that they are being paid for. Jeff Gardner needs to step down, bring in a Chief Technical Officer that has a clue, and start educating their entire company how basic layer 2/3 networking functions.

If you can avoid Windstream, do it at all cost. Worst communications company I've ever dealt with, personally or professionally.