Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by cfsdfnj See Profile

• Location: Heath,Licking,OH
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Pings at 50-70ms, More than 80% of Advertised Line speed..."
Bad "Mail server problems still..."
Overall "Alltel is great!"
(ratings well above consensus)

Well I have finnally seen a vast improvement in Alltel DSL services here in licking county ohio... I went from pings around 1500ms and 15/5 line speeds for over two months... They told me to hang in there while they upgraded their DS3 lines for there existing T1s. I got a call from them telling me that the installation was complete. =) Well i have noticed a very good speed improvement before this day for over a month now. I am getting about 50-70ms all the time. I am also geting about 1298kbps down and / 258 kbps up. I am very please with this service and i have no problems...

member for 13.4 years, 50 visits, last login: 12.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by stephenblair See Profile

• Location: Little Rock,Pulaski,AR
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Connection is reliable and fast"
Bad "speed and ping times vary but nothing to complain about"
Overall "I'd use Alltel if I had to do it all over again, great bang for the buck!"

I received a CISCO 677 ADSL router in the mail a couple of days after I called and talked to someone on the phone. The day before I received everything they came out to my house and removed a bridge from the line, installed a new line from the demark and actually left my back yard in better shape than it was in previously. I regularly get speeds in excess 800Kbps even though I'm only paying for the basic package. To top it off I'm right on the line (what they considered the line anyway) at 13000 ft from the C.O. and I get better service and speed than my father does with another ADSL offering and he's only 3000 ft from the C.O.

member for 14.3 years, 130 visits, last login: 1.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by Beckles See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Had for six months, great tech support, better than promised speed"
Bad "Big up front cost if no contract (first bill almost $500)"
Overall "I highly recommend Alltel, at least here in NC"
(ratings well above consensus)

I've had this line for about six months and was just reading the reviews and am literally shocked how many folks are having problems. I had some minor problems when I first got the line, but tech support was great, they were helped me through a problem in a few hours at 10:00 PM, and since then, I haven't had a single problem. I have my CISCO modem hooked up to a Linksys router and three computers on it. Occasionally I have to reboot the router/modem, but I haven't done that in at least a month at this point. Unlike my previous two hook ups with Bell South, this is *never* down. This service has been rock solid for me.

Oh yeah, they promised 768 down/384 up, I get over 1 Mbps down and over 500 up. Also, I paid $300 for the modem with no contract, which I never had to do with Bellsouth (free modems both times with Bellsouth), but I know BS has since started requiring a contract too.

Unlike my BS with PPPoE, this service finally delivered the "always on" connection I've always expected with DSL, though that wouldn't be an issue now with the Linksys anyway, but I liked that when I first got it and didn't have the LinkSys.

member for 13.8 years, 93 visits, last login: 10.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by markr64 See Profile

• Location: Lincoln,Lancaster,NE
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Service is good for the Price we pay in our State"
Bad "some problem with equipment but that happens"
Overall "GOOD SERVICE, NOT GREAT BUT WHO CAN EXPECT THAT"
(ratings well above consensus)

I have been using Alltel ADSL service now for the last 6 months and have run into a few problem but nothing that would make me cancel my service. I have tested my connection when I got the service and it was at the "up to speed" I was quoted. Just recently I tested me connect again and it is about the same. Here is was my test came out to:

LinkLine, LA
** Speed 322(down)/234(up) kbps **
(At least 6 times faster than a 56k modem)
Logging result
Finish.

Megapath, CA
** Speed 276(down)/225(up) kbps **
(At least 5 times faster than a 56k modem)
Logging result
Finish.

This is from msn.zdnet.com web site:

Your line speed:
273.8 Kbps
33.6 K bytes/sec

Your line speed:
324.1 Kbps
39.7 K bytes/sec

As you can see the speed is never that same all the time and it will never be, because that is what the Internet is never consistant. The only way to get consistant speed it to use Frame relay (that cost more than anyone person could pay for) so to those people the complain about their speed on the internet (modem, dsl, isdn) GET OVER IT. Your pc is the same way it never works the same way every day it will fail sonner or later and there will be problem with the service that is why there are Technicians that working on the equipment to try to catch the problem before it happens. But I will say it again "GET OVER IT"

Sincerely
A computer Technician for 15 years

Comments:

Review by moonie715 See Profile

• Location: Winston Salem,Forsyth,NC
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "So far I've have had fast reliable connections"
Bad "The guy that came to give me the installation package was not that informed. The phone tech support was good."
Overall "Worth it."

I had a good experience with the sales people. My connection so far has been pretty fast (762). The guy that delivered the installation package was not really up with how to install and convert my email program to my new email address. The booklet they give on how to set everything up was not that great either. It never addressed any of the email program conversion. On the other hand, the phone tech knew exactly what to do and within a couple of minutes of talking with him my email was up and running. So glad to be away from MSN!

member for 13.5 years, 17 visits, last login: 10.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by mew9876875 See Profile

• Location: Newark,Licking,OH
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "it's suddenly got faster and mor reliable"
Bad "constant packet loss"
Overall "good ping good speed a lot of packet loss"

it's only got faster over the past few weeks, my constant line packet loss has slowed(still there sometimes). and speeds around 800-900down and 250up pings stay around 50 at almost all times..i'm becoming happier with this

member for 13.6 years, 220 visits, last login: 7.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by ronhutchins See Profile

• Location: Moultrie,Colquitt,GA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "No nonsense install. No downtime in two months!! Consistant speed 24/7."
Overall "Great price/performance compared to other providers in area!"
(ratings well above consensus)

Ordered and installed in two weeks. Signed two year lease and received Cisco
678 router free. No downtime so far after two months. Using dynamic IP and
NAT on the Cisco. Received extra micro-filters at no charge. Average around
650K 24/7. Overall, 100% satisfied.

member for 13.5 years, 15 visits, last login: 13.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by bmorgan42175 See Profile

• Location: Newark,Licking,OH
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Tech Support is quick to respond"
Bad "Alltel ISP not good so switched to Communigate"
Overall "Alltel CLEC is great. Alltel ISP still has some learning to do."

Started my DSL saga with Alltel as both my ISP and CLEC. Installation went great. Mostly due to the fact that I am a network engineer and now what I am doing! And before you ask yourself the question the answer is "No, I DO NOT work for Alltel!" Speeds with Alltel as my ISP where flaky at best, slowing to under modem speed during peak times of 6pm-12am. Speeds were great at 4am but hey I gotta work, can't stay up all night waiting for internet to be fast! Kept Alltel as my ISP for about 2 weeks hoping that they would iron out the bugs after seeing the reviews in here that they were upgrading their equipment. Finally had enough, why should I be paying for a mistake that Alltel made by overselling bandwidth. Called up Communigate and changed to them. Wasn't real happy about paying almost double for ISP but hey if it is better and works all the time worth the money. Sure enough have had smooth sailing with Communigate. Changeover only took two days and my IP has not changed since I have been with them, which is great considering I am running FTP and Web server. Couldn't say this about Alltel, IP changed 3 times in a 2 week period.

member for 13.8 years, 184 visits, last login: 12.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by ace2399 See Profile

• Location: Moultrie,Colquitt,GA
Good "fast....fast...fast"
Bad "some time I lose my connection and have to reset modem...not very often tho"
Overall "SEE ABOVE"
(ratings well above consensus)

man i love me some DSL no problems but the one stated above.....

member for 13.8 years, 66 visits, last login: 12.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by Leef9 See Profile

• Location: Douglas,Coffee,GA
Good "FAST!"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "I love it!"
(ratings well above consensus)

I don't see why people are saying to stay away from Alltel. I have never had problem with connectivity or d-load speed. I haven't had to call tech support because I haven't had a problem. They programed my modem, installed everything. All I had to do was put the software on my puter. And he would have done that if I'd have had my E-net card. Plus, for signing on for 2 years, I got installation and the modem for free. Maybe in other areas Alltel isn't too reliable, but they're doing good here to me. Sometimes people blame their ISP for slow connections when it's either line problems, or slow servers.

If you live in Douglas, GA I'd suggest going with Alltel.

My average download speed is between 40-100 kps depending of the server I'm downloading from.