Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by eparks See Profile

• Location: Matthews,Mecklenburg,NC
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "keep at it until it is right, good attitude"
Bad "manual install on router"
Overall "it works, but be a little patient"

I have had mixed success with Alltel but overall I am giving them good marks. I know that they are new with DSL (I guess they all are) but they have worked to correct all problems to my satisfaction.

One advantage I have is that Alltel is they are also my local telephone carrier so when my DSL speed tanked at times due to bad line connection (and I got static on the phone line) they couldn't just put me off. I have regained the speed I had earlier (and the static is gone too!). I am now getting up to 1 Mbps speed as rated here on DSLReports.

The techs seem to be trying hard to learn what they can do to make things easier but right now the Cisco 677 router they use has to be manually configured as the software Alltel provides for configuration doesn't work. If it did the whole process would be easier. As it is Alltel has to roll a truck for every install right now.

The techs do not seem to understand alot about networking (my home setup has a 10mbps WinME/98 network) but they were able to get everything set up at home. On the other hand we are trying to get DSL on the network at church and so far have not finished that yet (NT 4.0 Server). However, they did get DSL into the server, we just couldn't set up both server and the network so that continues.

Eric Parks

Comments:

Review by kstarnes See Profile

• Location: Little Rock,Pulaski,AR
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "good to great speed, fairly stable"
Bad "Mail server problems, lost my order once, Good Pings"
Overall "Good if you can get it."

Paying $39.95/month for 1.5up/128down

Getting an average of 700/200 speeds
Average download is from 50-75 kbps but has gotten as high as 175 (rarely)
Was not very stable from the git-go (Had to re-boot once a day), but now I do not have those problems.
I use netscape and have had no browser problems, but my wifes Outlook often goes down.

Tech support has been mediocre, but fortunatly have not delt with them much. You do get passed off from dept to dept for a while befoer you get to the right person.

Using Cisco 677 with NAT/Dynamic IP

Quake 3 Pings best at about 100-129, Napster Pings cap at 120

member for 14.2 years, 43 visits, last login: 13.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by mac44 See Profile

• Location: Sugar Land,Fort Bend,TX
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Cisco 677, Fast response to initial request, modem setup software"
Bad "No information after initial setup of modem."
Overall "Good DSL service, Fairly constant"

The 49 includes Alltel as ISP also. For signing up for a year of DSL the Cisco 677 modem was 99.95. I went by the phone office and picked up the equipment which included enough filters for the other phones in the house and all cables. Benefits of a small town. All in all a fairly good deal for my benefit. Without some computer knowledge on my part the initial set up would not have gone as easy as it did. A novice might have found problems and very little help from any of the three help numbers listed. With the exception of a couple of downtimes in the mail server, Alltel, the ISP has been reliable. DSL service for the most part has been steady. Alltel offered 768/128 for tier one service. Most DSL speed test are in the 550-625 range down and always over 128 up. Recently purchased a second computer and after networking the two find there is very little if any degradation of services when both are on internet.

member for 13.8 years, 76 visits, last login: 10.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by kgmce See Profile

• Location: Newark,Licking,OH
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "800 tech support ->logcall>tech on control pc>solution every time dsl went down."
Bad "Not enough access to all people, and worried about growth affecting speed."
Overall "Productivity and learing environment vastly improved, Reliable Faster than DircecPC"
(ratings well above consensus)

I have had nothing but success with Alltel DSL in Newark, OH. We use it at our kids school with a proxy server hooked to 50 PC's. Also in our home. With the correct implementation you can setup effective firewalls and home networks using the cisco router and a low cost hub. Speed is affected greatly by time of day load. But in all cases most problems that we have had with the system is due to internal wiring/phones with out filters... Once we had a modem at the school die. A new one was delivered the next day. Another time I turned off my modem while on vacation. By Monday at 9:30am I had connection while I talked to tech support running software that told me my connection activation had just occured as my WAN light lit! I have had great success using the tuning advice given by dslreports.com.

All in all with the growth of dsl and the need for servers and speeder connections I would rate them as better than average on their capablities. I have yet to opt for the 56k modem yet, even my DirecPC system and most of the time I get 200-300% more productivity out of my setup. I would expect outages as systems are added and speeds upgraded. How would you like to have to keep 50 computers all flowing data 24/7 as they have to do? My solution is to set up the modem alternative to another internet provider ie Alltel phone line or a free service. That will allow you to get on the net for critical times. Once the DSL comes up you can then shut done the dial in modem sharing or connection.

Thanks

Comments:

Review by bierlein See Profile

• Location: Wingate,Union,NC
Good "Only thing I can get besides DirecPC"
Bad "News server are worthless and the techies are clueless"
Overall "Been stable for what I want but not for the novice"

Ordering Alltel DSL was pretty straight forward once they finally got me qualified. That part took about 2 weeks. I live in a rural area and am JUST close enough to get DSL, Actually I am the last house on the power grid and the phone system if that says anything. Once the order was processed they tried to hook it up to to the wrong number which caused a three day delay. The Cisco router arrived ahead of schedule and was prety easy to install once I pried the info out of Tech Support since their installation program would not work at all. Then the fun began my live date moved twice but even after THEY said is was on there was nothing. After several phone call they opted to send a tech here. He hooked up the little tester, which was the absolute limit of his knowledge and could not sync either. We went to the outside box with the same results even after disconnected all interior wiring. SO he went back to the office and found out that the line was not wired to the switch there. After a couple days that was corrected but still now synch. THe same guy came and we did again on to finally figure out the lines were never unloaded. By the afternoon the had all the load coils removed and still had no synch. By this time I'm ticked and pretty tired of having to troubleshoot this whole mess for them. I had to talk to 5 departments and told all of them that the account was just not configured.... Long story short anohter day with the Phone guy he finally gets somebody with sense (but can't speak english) who walks him through the whole system only to finally find that the problem was on HIS end. Once he configured the account we were off and running.

I pay for 384/128 but usually get over 1000/500 which is much better than DirecPc could ever get. The connection has been stable may 3 retrains in a month. Alltel has no clue on how to run an ISP but at least they are not gung ho to make life difficult. News and Mail server require no ID beyond the IP addresses which makes configurations a snap. The News server is worthless but they actually know this and are "working on upgrading" the system. I would not hold my breath eventhough they just switch to the UUNET service which has help "some". I use a commercial news server and run my own relay mail server so most of that stuff can go to pot and I would never notice.

TO me this a vast improvement over DirecPC and so far I'm a happy camper. I signed up for 2 years since that waived all installtion and startup fees. Which means switching to DSL saves me at least $20 per month.

Details:

Dynamic IP using Cisco 677, 384/128 ordered told this was the minimum it would get usually get over 1000/500.

G Bierlein

member for 13.9 years, 147 visits, last login: 9.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by wokman

• Location: Twinsburg,Summit,OH

I just recently got a DSL line from ALLtel in Twinsburg, OH and I am
using Netlink as my ISP, and I must say that everything was easy to
setup and is working great. I have no complaints! If you like things
fast...then DSL is the ticket!

wokman@nls.net

(review was emailed from domain nls.net)