Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by tskipper See Profile

• Location: Twinsburg,Summit,OH
Good "Always up"
Bad "none"
Overall "It doesn't get any better than this"
(ratings well above consensus)

I've had Windstream here for years. It used to be Alltel, I can't remember exactly the year they changed. We have 12mbs and usually get between 12 and 13 mbs. Always. Very reliable.
Here is speedtest.net result:
»www.speedtest.net/result/2394873960.png
dslreports won't let me do an accurate test without$$.
Makes you wonder.

Comments:

Review by spearce0188 See Profile

• Location: Springfield,Greene,MO
Good "My T1 is relaible, with no caps, 3x3 Mbps, it's excellent for my small business that I run out my home"
Overall "If your thinking of getting a T1, I would highly recommend Windstream Communications.."
(ratings well above consensus)

Before I choose Windstream Communications for my T1 ISP, I also had considered cable from the local cable company Mediacom Communications, while they are cheaper, I didn't want to deal with the bandwidth caps and unreliable and slows that cable can have.. I choose a Windstream T1 with speed of 1.544 Mbps download & 1.544 Mbps upload with dedicated voice over a second T1 line.. The Voice Circuit has unlimited incoming calling and unlimited local calling plus it also comes with 1000 outbound long-distance minutes. The total price per month is $ 300 not including tax which run me $ 47.14 so the total cost is roughly $ 350 per month... The installation took 30 days from order placement to the cut-over date which in my opinion is pretty good.. I was given a Cisco IAD 2431 which works great.. Customer support has been great anytime I have needed them which is very seldom..

UPDATE: I am no longer going with this company.. My cable provider has offered me 5 mbps download 1 mbps upload with unlimited local and longdistance with over 40 calling features plus a SLA ( Service Level Agreement) of 99.99 % uptime with a repair time of 4 hours on a business account for 89.95 a month for 3 years...Plus no caps either

member for 2 years, 4 visits, last login: 2 years ago

Comments:
AckAck

join:2011-06-02

I guess you get what you pay for.

I suppose $300/mo. is what it costs to get a stable 1.5mbps connection out of Windstream.
atticus14

join:2011-06-21
Lancaster, KY

Re: I guess you get what you pay for.

so true :
Slipen

join:2010-04-18
Cairo, GA

Just wait

Give it a couple months, and you can be posting in the tech support/help forums wondering why you are getting .25 connection most of the time now.
AckAck

join:2011-06-02

Re: Just wait

Ah, but this isn't this a true T1, not DSL. It may be true that when you pay $300/mo. you actually can get a stable connection, however I do believe it is unfair to have this categorized as a DSL review IMHO.

Re: Just wait

Yes it's a TRUE T1, connection is stable no down time, yes it's expensive, the line is provided by AT&T and the ISP is Windstream, my monthly rate is calculated by the local loop length aka from my premises back to the CO, followed by maintenance charge to maintain the line plus tax, I have a bonded T1 1.5x2 which gives me 3x3 plus a second line that my voice channel is on, it was either this or Mediacom which from my past experience can't do anything correctly, plus now they have caps and huge overages, also had DSL from AT&T which for some reason, they don't offer in my area anymore but the kicker is neither is u verse, so that's not an option, their is dial-up but that's so slow, then there is satellite which is also slow and has really low caps,

join:2012-09-06
I didn't put it as a DSL review if you look at my other review, the original company is Nuvox which was bought out my Windstream, but they still call themselves Nuvox or at least the tech do yet they show up in Windstream vehicles lol, I couldn't find a section for Windstream Business..

Review by AZinOH See Profile

• Location: Swanton,Fulton,OH
Good "Service is 14975/763. Speed averages 10500/640."
Bad "Quality of service varies by area."
Overall "Best price/service for my need. Phone included."

This is my first use of broadband after 13+ years of dial-up. Service installed 4/2007. Max service available is 8000/484.Average SNR 31.0, Atten 18.5. Initial problems with signal loss were eventually discovered to be due to inside phone jack not optimally wired for DSL use. Since that time, only one service interruption of 4 hours due to service outage in my area. Have received prompt, attentive service when needed. Chose DSL over cable (Time Warner) due to lower price. Also, WS broadband is new to this area and figured most of the high-bandwidth users presumably chose cable. In addition, cable TV service has been less than stellar. Had tech install whole-house filter at NID, highly recommended.

I judge my overall quality of service to be good and above average compared to WS customers in other areas. The following is simply information I have gleaned from reading other reviews. WS

broadband seems to vary widely in quality and sometimes they are slow to replace outdated equipment, especially in areas where it would impact profitability or where there is no significant broadband competition. Overall grade: A- (there’s always room for improvement).

update 8/25/2007

There have been a few bumps in the road, but nothing serious. Connection quality continues to be good. Continue to average 85.3% of provisioned speeds. I have been making use of the web mail instead of using an email client. Seems to be working well. Their list of supported email programs seems to be outdated:

* Microsoft Exchange

* Outlook Express (Win98 and above/NT)

* Outlook Express (Mac)

* Outlook 97

* Outlook 98

* Outlook 2000

* Netscape 4.5 Mail

* Netscape 7 Mail

so using something not on that list is up to the user to figure out. Their windstream.net web page definitely needs the assistance of a more knowledgeable webmaster. For example, the links to videos won't work for me unless I locate and install the correct codecs. Sorry-not going to happen. Still like the service and would recommend. Wish the bang for the buck was better.

Update 4/18/2008

Renewed 1500/384 service for one more year @ $30/month. Wouldn't mind having more speed, but don't really need it and additional $5 for 3meg or $10 for 6meg is prohibitive at this time. Service has been very reliable once the bugs were worked out. Still would recommend. Now have additional Speedstream 4200 just in case (new, eBay-$30+ shipping). Wanted a back-up because I telecommute.

Update 7/11/2009

Service is now 3579/380 ADSL2. Accomplished no charge upgrade from 1.5 to 3mbps service April 2009 (1.5 service no longer offered to new customers in this area). Service and speed has been very stable with SNR/ATTN averaging 28.0/13.0 The only difficulty I have had is trying to get the SS 4200 modem to cooperate with a wireless router. It is entirely possible that the problem is due to my own error in the setup. I expect later on to upgrade to the 2Wire modem (which includes wireless) and have a WS tech set it up. Hopefully then I will be good to go.

Update 4/3/2011

It was necessary to replace the 4 year old Speedstream 4200 two weeks ago. Since this was the only modem I've ever used, I didn't realize that its operation wasn't normal-it was always warm to the touch. When the failure occurred, it took about 30 minutes of going through the motions with Tech Support before they decided to roll a truck. The WS tech arrived the next morning (sooner than anticipated) and swapped it out for a new Speedstream 4300. Since then, my service has been more stable and reliable than it ever was before.It would seem that almost all of the hiccups I've had over this time (there weren't that many) were probably due to the modem having fits.

I can generally achieve 90% or more of my 6MB speed. I'm currently bundling internet and unlimited phone for the fixed lifetime price of $65/month + tax. I might save money by bundling TV-Internet-phone with either WS or Time Warner, but to do either I'd have to make a choice I don't want. I'd have to get a Dish through WS to watch tv (I just don't want a Dish). With Time Warner, I'd have to accept digital TV service and digital phone and I'd be at the mercy of their price hikes. Besides, I really don't care for all the extra channels I'd have to pay for that I'd never watch and I REALLY don't want digital phone. I prefer to keep my POTS phone as it is.

Update 3/25/2012

My 6 MB service continues to work well. I did have some minor difficulties a few months ago (maybe due to my own error), and the end result is that I am now using the Sagemcom 1704 modem/router. As a modem it seems to be fine, but as a router it does not work as well for me as what I was using before (a Netgear WNR2000v3). I've had to experiment with moving and also elevating both the Sagem and the system unit of my wireless desktop computer from their previous locations before I could connect wirelessly. There are as many as 12 other wireless networks operating in my area and I think that interference from them bothers the Sagem more than the Netgear. I've had to make channel changes as a result. I think my speedtests both wired and wireless are still good, but not quite as good as I was getting with the Speedstream 4300& Netgear.

I've been told that the Sagem is the preferred choice of Windstream for technical reasons in order to make their network more uniform, but I wonder why they chose a unit capable of only G speeds while their customers will be wanting to use N devices in the future. If WS chooses not to offer a N router, they may lose some business.

Update 9/22/2012

Upgraded 6 MB service to 12 MB for add'l $3/month (lifetime price with unlimited phone). New speed active less than 3 hours after placing the order. I previously turned down phone solicitations from WS offering same for $7, then $5. Noted drop in SNR from 20-22 to 15...still good but will keep an eye on it. The Sagem 1704 modem/router seems to be adequate. However, I find that I need to monitor which channels are in use by the other 12 wireless networks around me. Sometimes the interference from other networks is sufficient to cause connection problems and I have to search for a channel with ACCEPTABLE rather than SEVERE interference.

member for 7.4 years, 3816 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
jin

good luck

You're with windstream aren't you?
AZinOH

join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH

Re: good luck

No I'm not with Windstream...but if you choose to believe that I am then there's nothing I can do about it, is there?

Review by mattnews22 See Profile

• Location: Fairfield,Freestone,TX
Good "Rock solid after initial problems. Posting faster speeds than subscription. Ever improving."
Bad "Horrible inter-departmental communication...still. Their tech is solid, but the people seem to gum up the works."
Overall "They have issues, but have done alot to improve. Very reliable once you get everyone on the same page."

UPDATE: 8/2012 -- Speedstream 4200 finally died. Replaced with new Sagemcom 1704 and connection has been rock solid. Speeds are give and take, but I know they are in desperate need of upgrading local hardware and are supposed to be doing that before too long. They are having issues getting the newly available 12Mbps out with their OLD hardware. Went through a few headaches over speed upgrade process, but got everything worked out.

I think I avoid alot of headaches with Windstream as I have dealt with them so much and overall DSL problems. I usually end up knowing more that the techs they send out about the situation. I have had to baby step multiple techs through a few situations. I don't just walk away and assume its gonna get done right. And some have even had to use MY laptop to configure modems for our businesses. I also have informed multiple techs that there is a firmware update for the 1704 that makes bridging & staticIP easier (which gets uploaded when they call in to configure the modem). I mean is there no briefing or training? Do they just get any schmuck that can twist a wire in theses jobs. I have dealt with a few that obviously knew more than I and I bled them of every detail concerning the technology and the status of the local issues.

**UPDATE: 2011 I am now posting regular speeds of 6.5Mbps and peaks of 8Mbps with my custom made Smoothwall router.

Subscription: Greenstreak 6 Mbps/ 768 Kbps

The Windstream of today is head and shoulders above the Windstream I dealt with just 2 years ago. They still have a big problem passing information from one department to the next, but it has improved. The service is solid and even beyond my subscription at times. I'd say it is up 99.9 percent of the time (we have it at work and same there). Sure there is an outage from time to time and those couple hours can seem like an eternity, but things happen and they have to maintain equipment.

If you can get through the initial stress of getting connected and stable, it should be peaches and cream from there. I would say get a techie person to help, but odds are you are already pretty savvy if you are on this site. I have helped countless family and friends over the hump with Windstream and have only had to pay return visits when they switched everyone over to PPPOE and passwords had to be re-entered.

I do have the choice of cable in my area, but I am so familiar with DSL and navigating Windstream support and the cable speeds are no faster around here.

Comments:
jin

Hazard, KY

Good luck getting everyone on the same page.

mattnews22

join:2008-07-16
Fairfield, TX

Re: No!

I've learned in dealing a lot of tech support situations, you need to take charge. Especially if you know exactly what you need done. For good or for ill, reps follow a script, but that script usually either doesn't solve my problem or takes 2 hours to solve it when I can just say 'Hey, could you just do X and see if that clears it up?'. Most of the time they are delighted to break the monotony and sometimes learn a thing or two. Like with the 1704 firmware update that only tier 2 seemed to know about. I troubleshoot for a living and hobby and have usually narrowed down my issues to a very short list long before I bother picking up a phone, so my support experience is vastly different than your average joe.
"Practice static safety...Hack naked." - Mega Tokyo

Re: No!

I've just been waiting for a latency issue repair in my area.

Been waiting around 10 months now.

Review by Ledgem See Profile

• Location: New Alexandria,Westmoreland,PA
Good "Reliable connection, modem-router supports bridge mode"
Bad "Hidden fees"
Overall "Quite decent"

·DSL EXTREME
I'll preface this by saying that I live in a rural area, right next to the building that houses all of the telco equipment. Even though a number of my neighbors have Windstream, I'm not sure that we would qualify as a "high demand" area. My only other alternative was Comcast, and as if I wasn't already turned off enough to them over their antics, their customer service representative gave me such a display of arrogance (he actually said, "good luck finding someone else, we're the only game in town") that I decided I'd rather go without a connection than them if that's what it came down to.

I opted for the $39.99 per month plan for 3 Mbps down and 768 kbps up (the pricing for that plan seems to have gone up since then). This is with the "Green Streak" service, meaning that I do not have a land telephone plan. After all sorts of fees and taxes, I'm paying $4.98 more per month than what was advertised. I was a bit miffed about that. I was also displeased with their outsourced customer service representative (someone with the company "Offer Vine"), who was rude to me upon discovering that I was still pricing out options in my area. Her attitude changed dramatically when I made the choice to go with Windstream. As if it wasn't bad enough, I ended up having to redo the order with Windstream directly, because somehow the order got lost between "Offer Vine," and Windstream...

Activation was a pain, but the delays were due more to my landlord than to Windstream. The Windstream technicians who came out to do the activation really went above and beyond in their efforts, and I greatly appreciated that. I deducted one star from the install coordination ranking only because there was apparently a miscommunication issue with one of the four or five tech visits, so I wasted a morning waiting around for a tech who was actually never called to my location. The rest were fine.

I've seen the Windstream van around every now and then. I feel that I can count on them to resolve a problem correctly and quickly should one arise.

I had to contact them about a billing issue, as they weren't honoring their sign-up promotion. The lady that I spoke to was cheerful, understood the issue right away, and resolved it quickly. I expected that the issue would still be around on the next bill, but nope - the representative had really gotten it right on the first try. That was a pleasant surprise to me.

As far as the connection goes, I've never had a problem. I've hit the connection hard at all hours and never experienced an issue: both download and upload speeds are as advertised. I've video conferenced at various times of day for hours straight, and didn't experience any drops or lag. As far as I'm concerned, I'm getting the connection that I paid for.

Equipment-wise, I received their free wireless modem-router (a Sagem F@st 1704). While fine for light to moderate usage, heavy connection activity and long video conferences would require me to reboot it here and there. I was delighted to find that it has a bridge mode, which allowed me to put my high-end stand-alone wireless router in full control of the connection. I haven't had to reboot anything since then.

Update June 3, 2012:

I left Windstream after moving to a location that they did not provide service to. My final thoughts are that it was a fantastic service. All of the Windstream people that I dealt with were courteous, friendly, and most importantly, competent. The only service outages I experienced occurred during bad weather (the type that made my lights flicker or caused the electricity to go out), and even those were brief. The phone representative who handled my service cancellation call remarked that they were sorry to see me go, but I dare say that I'm even more sorry to have lost them as my provider!

Comments:

Info Kid

@windstream.net

We MUST work together

Because Windstream customers all over the nation are having similar problems: extremely slow download speed; slow or no service during certain hours; oversubscribed service; latency; and vague promises from Windstream about "fixing" these problems, WE MUST WORK TOGETHER to get our Windstream problems solved. PLEASE: 1) Send an email detailing your complaint to the FCC at: FCCInfo@fcc.gov 2) Contact both your US Senators (preferably by email) and tell them about your problems with Windstream. BE SURE TO SEND a COPY of your emails to your senators to US SENATOR TOM UDALL, who is currently investigating Windstream problems here in New Mexico. Send a copy to: sarah_cobb@tomudall.senate.gov 3) Contact as many people as you know in your area and ask them to do the same. The ONLY way we can get the service promised all of us by Windstream is to have many, many people complain from all over the country. Windstream is a rural telephone service & ISP provider. They received $6 Billion in revenue this year; surely they can spend some of that to do what they are supposed to do: provide good service to rural areas. THANKS FOR HELPING!!!

Review by HINDRI See Profile

• Location: Emporium,Cameron,PA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Download speed is over advertised of 12 Mbps"
Bad "Upload less than 1 Mbps"
Overall "Switched from Zitomedia cable to a windstream phone and DSL combo for $75.00"

9/3/2011 Have only lost the connection once or twice for brief periods since getting Windstream DSL. Speed fell off for a week or so but they fixed that. I really am happy with my phone ,dsl and The Dish network that is bundled with Windstream.

5/22/12 Am currently not so happy with my internet service. Intermittent connection,slow speed issues. Techs at house 2 times. had 2 Fast 1704 sagemcon Modems. Able to call Windstream support easily,the people who help are cheerful and generally try to help.No problem with any personnel. Just added a post on the secure forum for those folks to look at my connection. Will see what happens.
One bright spot is our home phone and long distance are crystal clear had one interruption in last year or so.

Comments:

Review by bmetelsky See Profile

• Location: Elyria,Lorain,OH
Good "Installed when promised. Reliable service after 1 service call."
Bad "Lots of taxes and surcharges make the price higher than initially thought."
Overall "Good service for a phone/dsl bundle."

·Dish Network
·DIRECTV
I ordered this service shortly before moving into our new home. Only thing about the ordering process I didn't like was that I couldn't get a quicker installation - my fault for waiting too long to call. The installation was quick and painless and when promised. I ordered the 12MBPS DSL service and unlimited phone service with basic voicemail. We had some initial problems after the installation with the DSL. The speed was not consistent with what I ordered. I contacted Windstream via the forum here and got a quick response from them. They scheduled a service call that was convenient for my schedule and replaced my modem/router combination (Sagem FAST 1704) with a different one that did the trick (2 wire 2701HG). My DSL speed is now consistently at 12MBPS. I use the service for web browsing and Netflix streaming via XBox with no problems. **UPDATE - 3/24/12: Still with Windstream and still running strong!

member for 8.9 years, 3358 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

• Location: Shepherdsville,Bullitt,KY
  • Telco party AllTel
Overall "Poor response to phone calls regarding internet problems."

Windstream operator told me I would get a call back from technical service in regards to my problem; that was two days ago.

(review was emailed from domain windstream.net)

Comments:

Review by billbahamas See Profile

• Location: Waldo,Alachua,FL

ordered 3mb speed and most of the times it is close to that until 6pm then it drops down to .04- .08 I think their pipeline is full. I get a lot of buffering that time. They need to upgrade their equipment.

Comments:

Review by firemancob See Profile

• Location: Clyo,Effingham,GA
Good "Works good friendly service"
Bad "can not recieve higher speeds due to location"
Overall "Good service"
(ratings well above consensus)

I love my windstream service only complaint is I can not get the faster service.