Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by jswelker See Profile

• Location: Bolivar,Polk,MO
Good "Speed is fairly consistent"
Bad "Customer service is very bad except on forums"
Overall "Pretty decent as long as you get good customer support"

June 2011
Moved to Bolivar, MO 3 weeks ago. Windstream is the only ISP in town. I ordered a 6mbps package for $45. Average price. I called and had service set up before we moved in, so no complaints there.

Within the first week, I noticed severe drops during nearly all hours. We're talking every 5-10 minutes for 30 seconds at a time at peak hours. Tonight it dropped twice in less than a minute, and this was around 10 PM, not exactly peak. I pretty much only use my connection for online gaming and for streaming media, so it's basically unusable.

I called Windstream's 800 customer support number, and the rep was extremely unhelpful. She told me to unplug my router for a minute and had nothing to offer after that. Needless to say, nothing was fixed. Three times this week I have called the local Windstream office, but no one answers the phone! This is during regular hours, at times like 10AM and 2PM on weekdays. I even left a voice mail and have not had a response yet.

Perhaps the biggest rub was that the customer support rep said that they only showed my connection dropping 3 times when it has been easily 50+ so far in just the three weeks I've had it. It would be a lot more than that, but I usually get frustrated and quit after a handful of drops.

I worked for several years as a computer tech and know how this stuff works. My modem/router is fine. We have no interference from a phone on the DSL line. During the high-drop hours, latency is usually quite high. A tracert shows pings >100ms between me and Windstream, and they are less than 1 mile away!

If someone from Windstream would actually contact me and assist me and solve the problem, I would gladly take back this review. As it is, though, this is by far the worst broadband service I have EVER had, and this is coming from 2 years of AT&T DSL in an oversubscribed area. It's that bad. Tech support does not exist. Unfortunately, Windstream is the only option at my address, but if you are lucky enough to live in a part of town where you can get cable internet, by all means, DO IT.

UPDATE 12/14/2011
This problem went on for months. Eventually, I posted it here on the DSLReports Windstream forum out of desperation. To my surprise, the technicians there were actually friendly and helpful. They sent me a new modem (for free) which seems to have fixed the problem. I've been using it for a week now with mostly no issues.

If you have technical issues with Windstream, I suggest you skip the traditional customer support channels and post on the forums here instead. They are much friendlier and much more prompt.

I have adjusted my original review to reflect these changes.

Comments:
AckAck

join:2011-06-02
·Windstream

Rating

Why did you give them a 50-75% rating if it is, and I quote:

"... by far the worst broadband service I have EVER had, and this is coming from 2 years of AT&T DSL in an oversubscribed area. It's that bad." Your review is coming out on the good side, unless that was your intention.

Welcome to the club.

Review by MrviNcTech See Profile

• Location: Mooresville,Iredell,NC
Good "Better than the town owned cable co."
Overall "Consistence speeds."
(ratings well above consensus)

Service : Started with 6/384 then was upgraded to 6/768.I saw speeds of 6.10/640.

Equipment: I started with the 4200 speedstream modem then was offered the 2wire modem. Only trouble I have had with the 2wire was a bad power cord. I guess there are two different types of power cords. One cord had a flat wire and one had a round wire. The round one is the one that went bad.

Comments:

Review by JmanA9 See Profile

• Location: Export,Westmoreland,PA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Great reliability, and steady speeds"
Bad "Don't always get top speeds"
Overall "Everything was fine until Windstream oversold"

UPDATE: 6/1/2011

In February, I started getting about half of my normal download speed. Windstream confirmed that my area was oversold and the estimated date of repair is September. I'm not happy that Windstream would add new customers at the sake of existing ones. 7 months with a slow connection is unacceptable.

UPDATE: 5/11/2005

After seeing the nag screen after previewing my post that I should update my review, I decided I should. I now subscribe to Alltel's Ultra package, which is 3072/384 for $35 a month. Last week, I experienced the first outage since I got Alltel. My DSL modem was syncing up, but it appeared that the PPPoE servers weren't responding. It was resolved in about 2 hours. Not bad at all.

A lot of people are complaining about high first hop pings, low SNR's, slow speeds, and high Attenuation. I've never experienced any of these problems with Alltel. This may be because my modem is in Fast mode, not interleave. I never called and asked them to make this change, its been this way since the start. My most recent speed test was 2467 / 315, not that bad, but there's always room for improvement.

DSL's still not as fast as cable in this area, but it is cheaper. Even still, I'm glad I chose Alltel. The reliability of cable around here is horrible, and their support is even worse (Adelphia Cable). The only thing I can wish for now is a speed increase and a price drop

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I have a dynamic IP address (PPPoE) with Tier 1 access. My first-off experience with ALLTEL was not good at all. After waiting 15 days for my DSL modem to be shipped when it was promised to be recieved in less then a week, I finally called ALLTEL and complained. They said it must have got lost in the mail and they said they would ship a new one and I would have it in two days tops. Four days later, I still didn't have my modem, so I called again, and I demanded I spoke to a manager to complain about this. He appoligized and told me that somehow my modem never left the ALLTEL warehouse and would be shipped to me overnight, which did happen. When I got it, everything went very smooth and was great. It's only been out twice in the past 6 months, which is great compared to the cable service here that goes out around 2 or 3 times a week. I don't think it's worth it to pay 50 bucks a month for speeds around 500 kilobytes per second compared to the cable internet, which is 35 bucks a month for around 4 mbps a second. I've called alltel asking if there would be any price drops and speed increases, but they said that there would be none in the near future. The support has been very good, and overall, it's been a great move. I just don't know how much longer I should keep it since I could get cable internet which is cheaper, and a lower price. My only other complaint is that ALLTEL wouldn't tell me what speeds I would be getting. I called three different times, and every time, the person would tell me that it varied too much per area to give me even a rough estimate, which didn't make me too happy. Overall, I'm happy with my service, I just would like more speed for the cost.

member for 11.2 years, 1730 visits, last login: 173 days ago

Comments:

Review by LightSpan See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
(ratings well above consensus)

great price for the speed 12meg.

Comments:

Review by slickjim See Profile

• Location: Springville,Saint Clair,AL
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "speed ok, install ok, price ok - single line just for DSL, got rid of bundle"
Bad "language problems at 1st lvl tech sup, 4200 Seimans is bad modem, went to Sagem F@ast 1704 gateway 2wks ago and seems ok"
Overall "very pleased as the disconnects are huge less frequent"

3/23/11 Local phone is Windstream not AllTel. User of DSL since May 2007, phone since 1975. 6M DSL only for $50/mo. Got rid of phone except DSL line. Went direct with Dish and am using verizon for home phone and mobile. Saving about $75/mo. Speed is consistently 6M up and 310k down. Customer Service is a large language barrier problem. Such that I request AMERICAN always when first into the call. It is starting to get harder to get escalation in effect. Was 100% english in 2007, I think since that was all I talked to then. Customer service phone menu discourages use. Have to be a rocket scientist to use, not a 32 year veteran of computers.

Beats sat and dialup by miles and miles. Overall satisfied to about the 90% level and if customer service was better would probably jump to 90%. After all, nobody is perfect. slickjim

Comments:

Review by Grigori48 See Profile

• Location: Granville,Licking,OH
Good "Reliable connection, lifetime fixed price"
Bad "Nothing recently"
Overall "Good ISP if you are in the right area"
(ratings well above consensus)

We have been Windstream (previously Alltel) DSL customers for 10 years. At the time of installation, this was the only broadband service available in our area. Over the years we have had three modem upgrades and the speed has been increased from 1.5 to 6 mb/s (the max we can get at our house). Speed has been very consistent with low latency. Technical support has been very good since it was moved back to the US from India. Recently we had a line problem that was fixed within hours of posting and IM on this forum. Based on reading postings on the forum, your experience seems to be highly dependent on your location.

Comments:

Review by bgiese5000 See Profile

• Location: North Ridgeville,Lorain,OH
Good "Windstream service has been pretty good. They are finally offering faster speeds in my area."
Bad "We had major problems for almost 2 months. It took way too long for Windstream to correct the problem."
Overall "More and more we rely on the web for entertainment and communication. I need reliable and fast internet."
(ratings well above consensus)

We started having connection problems (slow connection, high latency) in December. It took several phone calls, twitter messages, and message board posts before a connection problem was identified as a network problem with Windstream. They promised a fix, but not until March!

It appears the fix came a little early as our service was finally reliable and fast again before the end of February. All in all it took about 2 months for our service to be acceptable.

We've been a Windstream DSL subscriber for over 5 years. (They were originally Alltel around here).

For the most part the service has been very good. It's been reliable and consistent. We did have some trouble when we first moved and again when we did our upgrade. One issue involved numerous calls before the problem was fixed. The second issue was resolved after only a couple calls.

This most recent issue was terrible and I came very close to canceling and moving to Cable. In the end; I stuck with Windstream. If the problems come again; I'll give very serious thought to leaving Windstream.

Comments:

Review by Mindphaser See Profile

• Location: Ashland,Boyd,KY
Good "Very cost effective. Speeds are great when there are no issues. Helpful staff."
Bad "Outages and unreliability from time to time."
Overall "Simply can't beat the price and ease of use."

I have had Windstream DSL for over 5 years now and for the most part everything has been excellent. Started out on the 1.5MB package and when that was phased out in my city I got upgraded to 3MB. At no extra cost. Self installation kit comes with everything needed and setup is painless. I could upgrade my modem but the included Siemens 4200 has been rock solid for half a decade and has ample features. I can't comment on the newer models but I believe they come with wireless capabilities and multiple wired ports eliminating the need for separate switch/router. Windstream is great when firing on all cylinders but when there are hiccups things get ugly. Speeds and reliability over the last few months have been atrocious and widespread. Peak hour speeds are sometimes 10% of my 3MB down speed. Latency sometimes above 500MS. Things have improved after help from technicians lately. Customer service is always friendly if sometimes clueless. Overall no one comes close to this price in my area.

Comments:

Review by DaSone See Profile

• Location: Sidney,Fremont,IA
  • Telco party @link
Good "Impressive Service Partners"
Bad " Introduction after Acquisition"
Overall "Am Very Encouraged and Value Windstream Communications"
(ratings well above consensus)

Options I purchased were Internet DSL. Am intrigued with the digital TV service. I now have direct TV and am exploring the many options that higher DSL speeds present to my community.
I have recently went from 1.5/300 to 3/512 and now 6/600. Have home phone too.

The order and install was "Outstanding"!
Valued Service Technician at my door checking service within 24 hours of request for assistance.

Windstream acquired my ISP. In my personal experience Introduction after acquisition was slow, but once I established contact Windstream Business Partners and Leadership were "Exceptionally Professional". I really felt the meeting of the minds.

I "Highly Recommend" Windstream Communications and Welcome the Quality of services and packages available.

I am a "Happy" Windstream Customer in Iowa.

DaSon'e

Comments:

Review by FROSTY See Profile

• Location: Leeds,Jefferson,AL
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Good price combining phone with decent options and Internet"
Bad "Still none so far"
Overall "Cheaper than AT&T"
(ratings well above consensus)

In May 2010 we moved to an area services by Windstream. We switched from AT&T to Windstream for landline and Internet. Never been happier. Phone is cheaper with more features & Internet pricing is similar. Our new home is Fiber To The Home which does make a positive difference in latency as compared to copper DSL. Update: Internet connectivity is solid most of the time. Netflix make hiccup once in a while. Webmail interface is rather plain and lacking, yet we use email clients. Phone is crystal clear. Alltel has been renamed to Windstream.