Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by WD2 See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "low latency---speeds as advertised"
Bad "none"
Overall "good value for money---reliable service"
(ratings well above consensus)

Everything still going great--no problems--speeds consistently at 6mb and 400-600kb upload. Got a lower price for life with promotion.

Everything still going smooth...

Comments:

Review by adfoam See Profile

• Location: King,Stokes,NC
Good "Good and Reliable speeds"
Bad "Every Blue Moon need to reboot the modem"
Overall "Way better in Pricing and Service than the previous ISP"

I was a Alltel DSL user before Windstream took over. At the time I was 1.5MB down at $45 a month. Recently upgraded to 6MB at the $59 price guarantee.

I have not had any problems with Speed or service in the 4 years since we upgraded to Broadband from Dial up.

Used a Speedstream 4200 for 3 years, when it was Alltel and now using a Speedstream 4300 with my current package.

At the time I ordered from Alltel, it was the only Broadband service in my area. Now the other provider is Time Warner and I say no thanks.

Overall I have experience great service from Windstream when they took over as my provider. As well better pricing.

Comments:

Review by snert51 See Profile

• Location: Ashtabula,Ashtabula,OH
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Tech support, Reliability"
Bad "Mail service down now and then"
Overall "Have had good and reliable service"
(ratings well above consensus)

The router kit that I got had a faulty router right from Cisco as soon as they determined over the phonelines that the problem was on my end they sent a service tech over with a whole new router kit and they even stayed around and installed the new hardware and software. I even got a call from Tech Support to make sure that things were still working fine two days later.
Download are always 11 to 13 times faster than a 56k modem no matter which test I run.
I could not be happier.

- Jan. 14, 2004-

It's been 3.5yrs since I got Alltel DSL and I am stll very happy with there service. I know that it is still not as fast Adelphia Power Link in our area but it has still been very dependable. I just wish they would offer a higher speed package at a reasonable price (paying $50.00 a month for 756/128 speed package). Mail service is good no problems and I don't use news service so I don't know about that.
If you can get by the guy who just reads stock answers from a book teck support isn't all that bad either.
All and all It is a good service and I will stick with them.

6-30-09
I have been with Windstream since they startred and have had really good service from them. Just upgraded to 6meg service and it went real smooth ( other than it took 10 days for new router to arrive.). Speeds have been steady and service is always on. Maybe it's because we live so close to Lake Erie! All in all I will stay with Windtstream as long there service stays as good as it is in our area.

12-22-10
Having problems with slow down in the evenings. Tech said I was too far away to get 6 meg so they knocked me back to 3 meg. This made no difference it gets real slow in the evenings. Called them and told them that I wanted 6 meg service back at least it is still fast during the day time. People are very nice to deal with and service has been prompt. One service tech told me that they had oversold the service in our area and that what was causing the slow down, said that DSLAM in our neighborhood was filled to capacity and that new equipment was needed to be installed but didn't know if Windstream would spent the capital to do it. I will stay with them untill something better (not Time Warner) comes along.

member for 13.7 years, 1847 visits, last login: 1.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by kringles See Profile

• Location: Jasper,Pickens,GA
Good "Consistent speeds up/down"
Overall "Worth the cost versus other choices (dial-up, Satellite)"
(ratings well above consensus)

When I first relocated to the relatively low population area in North GA I soon found out that the only Internet services available were dial up (slow) and Satellite (expensive to set up and dial up speed for upload). After almost two years of trying to get service we finally got a group of about 20 residents in the area to sign intention to get DSL if available. We got this to the right manager in Alltel and they finally got the local equipment upgraded to support DSL! I spotted a local field tech and he had a contract to sign (12 months/free Modem etc with DIY install). I signed up and in a few days got the set up kit from Alltel. I called in and they setup the DSL upgrade for a few days later, so you could say the sign up to success time was about a week but the time from the first attempt to get DSL to success was about two years.
So far the connection has been reliable with speeds of 1100 to 1200 up (1500 advertised) and 200 up (128 advertised). The Modem is a Speedstream 5200 setup for PPPoE with dynamic IP. They say they will give out static IP if requested, I believe there is no extra charge.

update August 5. 2005

Appears that I was incorrect about no charge for static IP, another poster corrected this and is right. In my area they want an additional $40/month for the Static IP for a total of $79. In spite of their ads the Ultra Tier (3000 download) is not yet available here. They did bump the upload to 384 on 14 July 2005. My area has no real competition for Alltel, they have exclusive phone and cable services. I guess I have to satisfied with what I have, it is reliable but a little overpriced.

update 17 July, 2006

A couple of months ago my area qualified for the Ultra (3K download) service. I called to do the upgrade and found that there some new options that allowed me to bundle the upgrade and change to the flat rate long distance plan by Alltel. Their LD plan was cheaper than AT&T and the bundle allowed me to get the higher DSL speed at a cheaper price also. Since I have no alternate choice for broadband service (Alltel is also my CATV carrier and does not offer cable internet) it does not make sense to use VOIP. Therefore I took the bundle offer until some other options are available.

On the plus side we almost never loose connectivity or speed. On the down side I still wish they would raise the upload cap from 384K to 1000K or even 512K

Update 22 May 2008

DSL drops periodically after upgrade from 3 Mbps to 6 Mbps

Have be using Windstream (formerly Alltel) DSL at the 3 Mbps rate since it became available in my area (July 2006). SNR was about 21 and Attn 25. Service was reliable and often ran for weeks, even months without loss or drop out of service. Provisioning was at 3084/384 (I believe) and set for Interleave.

Recently was told that my area was eligible for upgrade to 6 Mbps service for ~$5/month more. requested the upgrade and after a few days and a few calls the service was re-provisioned at 7200/384, set for FAST and speed tests indicated it was working ok. A check of SNR indicated it varied from about 8 to 12 with an average of ~10, Attn was steady at 26.5. All was fine for about 4 days when internet connection was lost. SNR was displayed a -4. Rebooting the modem (SS 4200 f/w 004-D241-A83) corrected the problem. The SNR had dropped to 6 just before the loss of service. Drop outs have continued on a somewhat regular basis (3 to 4 days). Tried using a different SS 4200 and a Netgear DG384 with the same results. There is a whole house splitter at the NID with a dedicated Cat5e run to the Modem.

Some questions;

1. Is the current SNR/Attn sufficient to support 6 Mbps service? If not can SNR be improved?

2. I realize that this problem may be minor compared to others reporting here but is it too much to ask that the 6 Mbps service be a reliable as the 3 Mbps service was?

3. Since the CSRs in India(?) have not been much help who should be contacted, if anyone?

4. Should I just pack it in and and ask that my service be reset to 3 Mbps?

The main reason I don't want to have to reboot ever 3-4 days is that I often want make use of remote desktop login when away from home.

PS; have checked connections at NID and in house, all seem secure.

Update 6 June 2008

After some investigation and testing by local Windstream tech reps have decided to go back to the 3 meg service. Rather have a solid reliable connection at 3 meg than an unreliable one at 6 meg. See the thread I started on this here;
»DSL drops periodically after upgrde from 3 Mbps to 6 Mbps

Update 4 Feb 2009

After running at 3 Meg decided to switch back to the 6 Meg service again on August 2008. Since then have had good experience with SNR consistently at 11 to 12 db and attenuation 21 db on the downstream side. Have had good to excellent service with few drop outs.

I am using a Netgear DG834 Modem/Firewall/Router combo unit. Also have installed a freeware program compatible with this router called Routerstats that allows monitoring the line conditions. This program can also be used to select an automatic reboot if there are drop outs. This program is unfortunately not compatable with all modems. It is available at;

»www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm

Update 25 August 2009

12 mbps/768 kbps service became available in my area. Put in order on 8/19 and was upgraded on 8/21. Had problems with upload speeds, download speed was great. Reported this via phone to Windstream customer service and on the Windstream forum here on DSLreports, see thread for details;
»Switched to 12 Meg, upload provisioning wrong?
To summarize a Windstream tech rep came on 8/22 (Saturday!) and after removing a faulty/incompatible phone line surge protector the problem was corrected! Now get consistently fast down/up (12.7 M/.66M) speeds and signal strength with no dropouts so far.
This is fast excellent service and hope is a sign of things to come for Windstream. I think that reporting the problem on the Windstream forum here greatly contributed to the fast repair service. Unfortunately most customers are not aware of this forum and do not get this advantage but those reviewing/posting here should be aware and take advantage.

Update 8 November 2010

Have had consistent great experience with Windstream since last update. speeds down/up are steady and in the 12Mb/640Kb range. Service dropouts have been few and very short. I am probably fortunate to be located very near to an up to date DSLAM (Attn 3db down/0 db up) even though I am located in a rural part of North GA. Continue to rated Windstream as 5 star based on my experience.

member for 13.9 years, 2191 visits, last login: 284 days ago

Comments:

Review by comp See Profile

• Location: Concord,Cabarrus,NC
Good "Good speeds and ping so far"
Bad "None yet"
Overall "Better deal then cable right now"

·Armstrong Zoom ..
·DIRECTV
I was paying almost 100 bucks a month for Time Warner phone and internet. Getting the same speeds and same phone for half. so far so good

member for 13.2 years, 5500 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Jerikoh See Profile

• Location: Monticello,Wayne,KY
Good "Customer service online is great, fast internet speeds for the most part"
Bad "Telephone Customer Service friendly but not that helpfult"

When I moved to Kentucky I started with Windstream service because the internet speed was greater than what I had in Iowa and for a cheaper price. The connection had been very consistent and reliable until the past couple of months. I tried calling customer service and the telephone customer service was not that great. They kept trying to blame any problem I had on my computer. When I thought that only the telephone service was all I could receive I started shopping around for anything else. BUT then I found this site and the great help that the support was providing here. The help and answers I received here gave me back the confidence I had in Windstream.

Comments:

Review by cubanx See Profile

• Location: Canton,Cherokee,GA
Good "Inexpensive, option for no landline"
Bad "None really, just lately spotty connection"
Overall "Great ISP, can't recommend them enough"
(ratings well above consensus)

Windstream has been great. Just in recent weeks there's been a spotty connection, but I haven't even called them yet to tell them, so I can't blame them, yet

Their customer service is top notch, and they offer DSL without a phone line.

You can't beat that

Comments:

Review by dalekar See Profile

• Location: Wilber,Saline,NE
Good "quick service when had phone, dsl problems. Very few outages."
Bad "access charges, fees, etc. But all phone/ISP companies have to charge that."
Overall "Good service, decent price."
(ratings well above consensus)

Had option of cable or dsl, dsl was the best value.

Getting 12Mb/768k for 44.99/month. Includes basic phone (can only make local calls at 10c/minute, meaning no long distance option. Can receive any calls. Toll free #s are still free.)

I am considering switching to the latest offer-internet and full featured phone plan(caller ID, call waiting, unlimited local and long distance, etc) for 54.99/month with 6Mb/768k or staying with 12Mb/768k for 69.99/month.

Update: have switched to the "lifetime guarantee" full featured phone plan, stayed with 12Mbps download. Price is actually $59.99 for this package. Will be $71-72 after access fees, 911 fees, taxes, etc.

Comments:

Review by bellrico See Profile

• Location: Bee Branch,Van Buren,AR
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Steady Connection, Low latency, Good tech support"
Bad "No 6Mb offered in area, only 3"
Overall "Wish I was closer to the DSLAM."

Connection was dropping quite a bit at first as packets made their way to Little Rock. Couldn't upgrade firmware on 4100 from Broadband Checkup Center (even with IE) So, a technician came out and replaced the 4100 with a 4200 (walled garden), Still was dropping connections, so finally decided to authenticate from router bridged. Ever since then i couldn't be happier with service, as I cant remember the last time I lost connectivity. Also I believe from my CO it's Fiber all the way to Little Rock so my ping times are good. Attenuation and rest of levels are good as well. Whatever they did in last 6 months worked!

Comments:

Review by SliderNC See Profile

• Location: Cornelius,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "Solid connection for a good price"
Bad "Took them 2 weeks to get my speeds right"
Overall "For the price, a great connection"

Moved from a Bellsouth (AT&T) area to a Windstream (formerly CTC) area. Called and got a package for phone, LD and internet for $69,99/month, no contract at the 6MB speed. They came out 3 days later and connected me up and I was up and running, but at 1.5MB speeds. Called TS a few times and finally got an engineer to come out and tell me that there is nothing but 1.5MB cards at the DSLAM and they would need to order new cards and install them. After about 8 days wait and multiple calls and troubleshooting over and over again, finally got a manager who knew what I was talking about and 2 days later, the tech came out and installed the new ADSL2 cards. Since then, no problems and a solid connection. One outage, but I wasn't home for it.

12/16/09 Update - A few weeks ago, I noticed some slowness on the line while download some larger files from work to my home computer, averaging around 180KBs (around 1.5mbit/s). I sent a PM here to the Windstream Online support team that monitors DSLR and within 2 hours, I had a phone call from a tech. He had already diagnosed the problem, had the network engineers make a change on their end and wanted me to retest speeds. Ran a few tested and I was back up into the 740-750KBs range (6mbit/s). They left the ticket open for a week incase I had any problems and then PM'd me to let me know they hadn't noticed any changes and that things looked good from their end. Also, we've changed to the 6MB for life plan at $65/month for life as well, which is saving us almost $30/month over what we were paying before.

member for 11.8 years, 2622 visits, last login: 1.9 years ago