Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by Ironhead38 See Profile

• Location: Hoschton,Jackson,GA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Good speed and service"
Bad "none"
Overall "great DSL and isp"
(ratings well above consensus)

i was just happy to get dsl tried for years.no cable access so this was my only choice other than dial up. my first speed was 768/128 don't know exactly how far away the co was but my speeds were like 650/108 and i was happy compared to dial up even at 49.95 per month. then i got a upgrade to 1.5

/128 dl speed was 1150 and a reduced price of 34.95 that was great i haven't had any downtime that i can remember. and now i have 3meg up and 384 down getting speeds of 2450 up and 320 down. wish the upload would go up more but im happy with what i got. work's great for gaming.

Well i have 6 Meg DL and 768 UP now and everything is still good. wish i could get 12 meg but they say im to far away from the CO. good service and fast Tech Support

member for 10.7 years, 312 visits, last login: 3.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by jimbo1139 See Profile

• Location: Owingsville,Bath,KY
Good "Good Price-Very consistent speeds- No down time"
Bad "Have to reboot modem every month or so"
Overall "The best choice is this area."
(ratings well above consensus)

I have the bundled 12 meg internet along with the unlimited local and long distance phone calls for $60 per month for lifetime. This is cheaper than Time Warner's offerings. The speeds are very consistent, and with the exception of having to reboot the modem every once in a while I couldn't ask for anything better. It was installed earlier than I was told and have had no problems

Comments:

Review by Sinjon See Profile

• Location: Trion,Chattooga,GA
Good "Reliable connection. Uptime 99.999%"
Bad "None!"
Overall "Great service."

To begin with, I was only getting 2mb/s downstream when I thought I was paying for 6. Tech support promptly made some adjustments which then allowed me to get 3mb/s consistently.

Even though I was told at signup I was signing up for the 6mb plan, a close look at my bill revealed I had in fact only been given the 3mb/s plan, due to my distance from the central office.

All dealings with customer support were pleasant.

I recommend this ISP to anyone in the NW Georgia area.

Comments:

Review by ExNYer See Profile

• Location: Monroe,Union,NC
Good "DL speeds are consistently as advertised."
Bad "UL speeds are usually slower that advertised."
Overall "Reliable service, competitively priced."

Overall I'm happy with Windstream DSL. When I moved here I went with Time Warner Cable initially, for the price they were offering ,and because the old telco(CTC) didn't offer anything faster than 2mbps DL. When my TW contract expired I switched to CTC, because they had installed a remote terminal in my neighborhood and were able to offer faster speeds. Windstream bought CTC and they are my ISP now. I have had no problems. The DL speed is consistent.

Comments:

Review by spidyr2k See Profile

• Location: Sanford,Lee,NC
Good "In general, DSL service has been very good. Especially considering that my house is a the distance limit from the closest DSLAM."
Bad "The local service techs seem to have a somewhat limited repertiore of problem-solving tools."
Overall "Being a rural customer, Windstream has a monopoly in my case."

I use the 1.5Mbps plan, because that's the only option available at this time. I am a heavy bandwidth user and suppose that's why I feel like I am getting good value from my Windstream service.

Recently had issues with bad ping and it took about a month of cajoling to get the problem resolved. This is the first time in the past five years that I've had an issue with the DSL service, and that's pretty darn good.

Comments:

Review by Prism3 See Profile

• Location: Sugar Land,Fort Bend,TX
Good "Good reliable DSL when properly configuered"
Bad "They don't properly configuere at the onset"
Overall "The ISP needs a better protocal for deploying stable DSL"

Having owned or worked with about 6 DSL lines that were first owned by Alltel and then Windstream, service was reliable and steedy under Alltel, but then came Windstream. They sold me faster lines than my stats could handle, as a result I had intermitent disconects. I had made a few calls to tech support, but mostly with issues such as static on the line. The local techs were always very prompt and very good with the wiring issues, I just didn't report the right problems.

Working with DSL reports I've improved the service, with the local techs very helpful. Windstream needs a protocal of verifying correct line stats after installation and periodicly thereafter, and they need to inform customers of what sort of things suggest DSL problems that they should report.

Other then over selling speed by sales, the billing, repair and installer staff of Windstream are very good and pleasant to deal with. They will make sensible adjustments when you have issues.

Comments:

Review by awesome6 See Profile

• Location: Reedsville,Meigs,OH
Good "Cost. Speed. Reliability."
Bad "Tech Support"
Overall "I'm fairly happy and not looking to shop around."

For the first couple years we had this service the reliability was HORRIBLE. Tech Support was absolutely no help. Finally after years of putting up with poor service, as it was the only service available, we got our reliability issue resolved. Now the reliability is great. Tech Support is still awful.

Comments:

Review by Icon See Profile

• Location: Crockett,Houston,TX
Good "Solid, reliable connection"
Bad "nothing out of the ordinary"
Overall "Not the fastest, but a good value for a solid performer"
(ratings well above consensus)

Have the Greenstreak 3 meg plan, and it's just what I need. Consistent up/download speeds, no down time in months. Using a Westell 327 modem/wireless router combo. No negatives to mention. Have it bundled with Dish to save a few more bucks.

member for 10.7 years, 2978 visits, last login: 343 days ago

Comments:

Review by pacmantravis See Profile

• Location: Indian Trail,Union,NC
Good "Fastest speed in area, reliable, decent price"
Bad "Slow upload"
Overall "Couldn't really ask for more, except more upload speed"
(ratings well above consensus)

When buying my house I had an option between Windstream and Time Warner. I picked Windstream as they were less expensive (by about $15/mo) and offered more download speed (12mb vs 10mb).

I wish they would upgrade their upload bandwidth though, as I work from home and 768K for my business VOIP and home VOIP line just doesn't seem to cut it. Their business services offer the same speeds, so it's no use upgrading.

Can't wait for either FTTH or Docsis 3.0 to come to my area.

Comments:

Review by uh60james See Profile

• Location: Odenville,Saint Clair,AL
Good "Consistent line speed, helpful techs, proffesional support"
Bad "Difficuly upgrading/adding service, support doesnt always have good answers"
Overall "Good quality service, however upgrading/adding services is difficult"
(ratings well above consensus)

[UPDATE 5/11/09] My connection has been upgraded to 6.0 Mbps as of this morning. Perhaps somebody just forgot to press the Enter key before the weekend. Very satisfied with my new speeds.

Only other option is AT&T which requires local and long distance phone to get a similar speed at a higher price. Ordered 3.0 Mbps Greenstreak which does not require phone service but does include a phone line allowing 911 and 800 number calls free of charge. I consistently achieve speeds between 2.94 and 3.06 Mbps. Install process was simple, modem arrived in the mail, tech hooked up the lines outside and service was connected. Recently transferred the service and the tech was very professional, came inside and verified all phone jacks to be working and offered to repair a damaged jack for minimal cost. Overall I am satisfied with my service however an attempt to upgrade to 6.0 Mbps has been unsuccessful so far. I have had the service for about 5 months now.