Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by Ironhead38 See Profile

• Location: Hoschton,Jackson,GA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Good speed and service"
Bad "none"
Overall "great DSL and isp"
(ratings well above consensus)

i was just happy to get dsl tried for years.no cable access so this was my only choice other than dial up. my first speed was 768/128 don't know exactly how far away the co was but my speeds were like 650/108 and i was happy compared to dial up even at 49.95 per month. then i got a upgrade to 1.5

/128 dl speed was 1150 and a reduced price of 34.95 that was great i haven't had any downtime that i can remember. and now i have 3meg up and 384 down getting speeds of 2450 up and 320 down. wish the upload would go up more but im happy with what i got. work's great for gaming.

Well i have 6 Meg DL and 768 UP now and everything is still good. wish i could get 12 meg but they say im to far away from the CO. good service and fast Tech Support

member for 10.2 years, 312 visits, last login: 3.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by jimbo1139 See Profile

• Location: Owingsville,Bath,KY
Good "Good Price-Very consistent speeds- No down time"
Bad "Have to reboot modem every month or so"
Overall "The best choice is this area."
(ratings well above consensus)

I have the bundled 12 meg internet along with the unlimited local and long distance phone calls for $60 per month for lifetime. This is cheaper than Time Warner's offerings. The speeds are very consistent, and with the exception of having to reboot the modem every once in a while I couldn't ask for anything better. It was installed earlier than I was told and have had no problems

Comments:

Review by Sinjon See Profile

• Location: Trion,Chattooga,GA
Good "Reliable connection. Uptime 99.999%"
Bad "None!"
Overall "Great service."
(ratings well above consensus)

To begin with, I was only getting 2mb/s downstream when I thought I was paying for 6. Tech support promptly made some adjustments which then allowed me to get 3mb/s consistently.

Even though I was told at signup I was signing up for the 6mb plan, a close look at my bill revealed I had in fact only been given the 3mb/s plan, due to my distance from the central office.

All dealings with customer support were pleasant.

I recommend this ISP to anyone in the NW Georgia area.

Comments:

Review by ExNYer See Profile

• Location: Monroe,Union,NC
Good "DL speeds are consistently as advertised."
Bad "UL speeds are usually slower that advertised."
Overall "Reliable service, competitively priced."
(ratings well above consensus)

Overall I'm happy with Windstream DSL. When I moved here I went with Time Warner Cable initially, for the price they were offering ,and because the old telco(CTC) didn't offer anything faster than 2mbps DL. When my TW contract expired I switched to CTC, because they had installed a remote terminal in my neighborhood and were able to offer faster speeds. Windstream bought CTC and they are my ISP now. I have had no problems. The DL speed is consistent.

Comments:

Review by spidyr2k See Profile

• Location: Sanford,Lee,NC
Good "In general, DSL service has been very good. Especially considering that my house is a the distance limit from the closest DSLAM."
Bad "The local service techs seem to have a somewhat limited repertiore of problem-solving tools."
Overall "Being a rural customer, Windstream has a monopoly in my case."
(ratings well above consensus)

I use the 1.5Mbps plan, because that's the only option available at this time. I am a heavy bandwidth user and suppose that's why I feel like I am getting good value from my Windstream service.

Recently had issues with bad ping and it took about a month of cajoling to get the problem resolved. This is the first time in the past five years that I've had an issue with the DSL service, and that's pretty darn good.

Comments:

Review by mdbrozik See Profile

• Location: Fredericktown,Washington,PA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "ultimate is great rock solid service"
Bad "now i want ftth"
Overall "I'm Happy"
(ratings well above consensus)

UPDATE: 31 Aug 09. Got Ultimate service in May and am very happy. Connection is rock solid and uptime nears 100% as I use the WS line monitor svs offered in the WS forum here at dslreports and see results in my email each week. Now I want FTTH and 24MB service I see WS offering in some locations

UPDATE: 29 Mar 08 Windstream still only game in town. No upgrade to Ultimate 6M pkg yet. Can't complain; connection is usually rock solid. The speed sometimes fade in the Evenings or Weekends. I get 2.4m up .320m down during off peak periods. During heavy usage periods my up leg will fade to 1.5-1.8m. I would pay more for additional bandwidth and can only dream of fiber to the home.

UPDATE: Alltel sold to Windstream. Speed still OK but not great. Windstream refuses to upgrade to 6M speeds. I can't complain; It has rarely failed to work.

UPDATE: 27 Dec 04. Alltel Still OK Beats Direcway. Some DNS issues and modem power cycles required to fix occaisional slow connection. promo rate wore off now its $49/month. would like more upload speed, the 108 that i'm getting sucks.

I've been a direcway SRS customer for 11 months after using dial-up for 8 years. When Alltel announced DSL in my exchange, I said that I would ride out my d-way contract and make the switch. However, d-way has really been terrible as of late and I decided to jump early.

The initial sales staff couldn't find my address for a pre qual check. Told me to check back in a few days. On the third attempt about 10 days later, I was told that my line would work. The next day I got the speed stream 5200 VIA UPS RedLabel even though my service would not start for five days.

On my live date, all work well. I got a call from the installer at the co. I synch up and all has been well for the last week. Speed is advertised at 768 /128 and I've been averaging 615 /110. Direcway was faster but not consistant. I'd be downloading at 150K and drop to 30K back up to 110K back to 15K. Alltel DSL is a steady 80K download so far. Ping times range about 60-80ms. Service is dynamic IP but mine hasn't changed in a week despite modem resets when I was configuring my router.

Direcway was good at first too so I'm hoping for continuity of service with Alltel. I'll provide updates as I experience issues both good and bad.

Comments:

Review by Prism3 See Profile

• Location: Sugar Land,Fort Bend,TX
Good "Good reliable DSL when properly configuered"
Bad "They don't properly configuere at the onset"
Overall "The ISP needs a better protocal for deploying stable DSL"

Having owned or worked with about 6 DSL lines that were first owned by Alltel and then Windstream, service was reliable and steedy under Alltel, but then came Windstream. They sold me faster lines than my stats could handle, as a result I had intermitent disconects. I had made a few calls to tech support, but mostly with issues such as static on the line. The local techs were always very prompt and very good with the wiring issues, I just didn't report the right problems.

Working with DSL reports I've improved the service, with the local techs very helpful. Windstream needs a protocal of verifying correct line stats after installation and periodicly thereafter, and they need to inform customers of what sort of things suggest DSL problems that they should report.

Other then over selling speed by sales, the billing, repair and installer staff of Windstream are very good and pleasant to deal with. They will make sensible adjustments when you have issues.

Comments:

Review by awesome6 See Profile

• Location: Reedsville,Meigs,OH
Good "Cost. Speed. Reliability."
Bad "Tech Support"
Overall "I'm fairly happy and not looking to shop around."

For the first couple years we had this service the reliability was HORRIBLE. Tech Support was absolutely no help. Finally after years of putting up with poor service, as it was the only service available, we got our reliability issue resolved. Now the reliability is great. Tech Support is still awful.

Comments:

Review by Icon See Profile

• Location: Crockett,Houston,TX
Good "Solid, reliable connection"
Bad "nothing out of the ordinary"
Overall "Not the fastest, but a good value for a solid performer"
(ratings well above consensus)

Have the Greenstreak 3 meg plan, and it's just what I need. Consistent up/download speeds, no down time in months. Using a Westell 327 modem/wireless router combo. No negatives to mention. Have it bundled with Dish to save a few more bucks.

member for 10.2 years, 2978 visits, last login: 158 days ago

Comments:

Review by pacmantravis See Profile

• Location: Indian Trail,Union,NC
Good "Fastest speed in area, reliable, decent price"
Bad "Slow upload"
Overall "Couldn't really ask for more, except more upload speed"
(ratings well above consensus)

When buying my house I had an option between Windstream and Time Warner. I picked Windstream as they were less expensive (by about $15/mo) and offered more download speed (12mb vs 10mb).

I wish they would upgrade their upload bandwidth though, as I work from home and 768K for my business VOIP and home VOIP line just doesn't seem to cut it. Their business services offer the same speeds, so it's no use upgrading.

Can't wait for either FTTH or Docsis 3.0 to come to my area.