Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by xX StitcH See Profile

• Location: Stow,Summit,OH
Good "Inexpensive, FAST, reliable, dedicated."
Bad "Did not work with the router I had so I had to but the one from them for $100 then I get a $50 MIR."
Overall "It is awesome. I am so incredibly happy I switched from Time Warner Cable's crappy service."
(ratings well above consensus)

I have had Time Warner Cable Road Runner for the past 6 or 7 years. I have always hated their customer service and their services. I never knew I had another option. One day I checked what else I could get and Windstream came up. They said they have a 30 money back guarantee so I figured why not. Very glad I switched

I have the 12Mbps down and 768kbps up. According to almost every test I have taken I am consistently getting 12.5Mbps down and 850kbps up. I also have unlimited local and long distance with caller ID and all of that and my total monthly bill is $60

Order and install process was good I suppose. I took me awhile to figure out my router did not like their service. So I eventually cracked and got their router/modem combo and it is great. It is a 2wire 2701HG. Apart from the three or four days of not really having internet because of my router, everything has been fantastic.

Comments:

Review by sheilakmcd See Profile

• Location: Liberty,Casey,KY
Good "Is wonderful compared to dial-up and satellite, which used to be all that was available"
Bad "Not as fast as it should be for speed package I'm on. Latency and speed is bad to New York, New Jersey area."
Overall "Worth every penny to me"
(ratings well above consensus)

I'm very glad that Windstream has upgraded their remote terminals and made DSL availabe to a lot of us that are out in the country. The price I pay is well worth the service I receive. Their tech people are always helpful.

Comments:

Review by Ollie7018 See Profile

• Location: Heath,Licking,OH
Good "Good connection speed, Better download speed then expected"
Bad "Upload speed slow, Have had problems with modems from Windstream"
Overall "Will probably stay with Windstream, at least till contract is concluded."
(ratings well above consensus)

I wanted to be able to connect my other computer to this service, but the first modem I received, a Siemens Speedstream 4200, would allow only one connection. I had quite a lot of problems with this modem. It had to be replaced three times. I finally went to a 2wire Gateway modem, which has worked great. I have connected my other computer to this modem, and they both work great. No problems, and good connection speeds on both computers. I am paying $45 a month for up to 10 MB from windstream.com, plus received three free months in the first year.

Comments:

Review by lammergeier See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "easy install, Mac-compatible, speeds as promised"
Bad "minimal support, content filtering not readily available"
Overall "great for the do-it-yourselfer, may be intimidating for non-techies"

INITIAL REVIEW, spring 2007: I ordered on a Saturday morning and was up & running the following Thursday night. A few days later I moved the DSL modem from the family PC to my wife's eMac with a minimum of fuss, and put a wireless antenna on the PC.

I ordered the standard package, 1.5 download / 384 upload. Actual speeds have been around 1.2/325 with a stable, non-lossy connection.

However, the whole experience of ordering and setting up has felt like "Here's the hardware, kid. Now you're on your own." If I had needed anything beyond the printed instructions I don't know what sort of support Windstream would provide ... like stepping on ice not knowing if it will hold one's weight.

Also, while Windstream's DSL-advertising site (»windstream.com/residential/broadband.aspx) promises free parental control software, I had to do a lot of hunting and guessing to find it. It turns out to be part of "McAfee Privacy Service", available from the windstream.net downloads page, but you have to get all the way to the page that describes that software before parental controls are even mentioned ANYWHERE on windstream.net. (For an excellent program that just does filtering, I got a copy of K9 Web Protection from download.com -- it's free and very, very good.)

So if you know what you're doing, or have someone you can call on for help, Windstream's good.

UPDATE 23 Feb 09:
After the initial 12 months at $30, the price jumped to $40. I've been paying $40 for 1.5/384 for about a year. Service has been generally good, though DSL was lost or very slow a few times during bad weather.

Last Saturday (two days ago) I noticed on windstream.com that the basic service speed is now 3.0 for $30. $40 will get you 12.0. They don't even offer 1.5 anymore.

So I called Windstream to ask if they would either reduce my price or increase my speed. After briefly trying to talk me into a bundle-plan that included 100 minutes of "free" long distance, which I declined, they willingly offered to switch me to 6.0 service for $35/month, and the rate is guaranteed for two years.

As promised, this evening my speed took a big jump. Test speeds have been 3.0-5.3 on my "base station" eMac, and around 2.5 on my wirelessly connected work PC.

Comments:

Review by WKA See Profile

• Location: Nicholasville,Jessamine,KY
Good "After upgrade (se below) excellent, reliable service"
Bad "Initial feet dragging about providing DSLAM to meet spec performance"
Overall "Very happy with sevice at present"

Initially I signed up for 1.5mbps at $20 per month. This speed was never achieved; the best I saw approached half that. There was little help from the local office supervisor -- the line to our subdivision was too long and they didn't want to use one of their coax lines and install a DSLAM. The installers were, quite helpful and pointed out that nearby subdivisions had had their hardware upgraded and gave me the name of an engineer in Lexington. I went by and saw him, but nothing happened immediately. After a few month, however, the installer dropped by and said a DSLAM had been installed and he was hooking me up to it so I could get what I had been paying for and offered 3.0 mbps at $30 per month which I bought. It works great now. I might mention that they try to run the price up after a year, but if you call up and complain they will put you back at $30 permanently. I guess the squeaking wheel gets the grease.

Don't mess with the sales people who call you on the phone and don't bother with he 800 number. Try to catch one of the installers when you see his truck in the neighborhood and buy directly from him.

The telco here is Windstream. I didn't see them on the pull down list.

Comments:

Review by htech007 See Profile

• Location: Eagle,Cass,NE
Good "Greenstreak offers naked dsl. Local field tech's are good."
Bad "Billing department still is as bad as Alltel."
Overall "Windstream provides me a fast stable connection at a great price."
(ratings well above consensus)

I moved to a rural area and was surprised I could qualify for 3meg dsl. It's really been solid since day one. The local tech's I have delt with are really good. I am using greenstreak so I don't have an actual phone plan but I can still get inbound calls. I don't really use the line other than for emergencies or back up to voip. I see pretty low latency and overall I am happy going direct with Windstream. I did have a CLEC but learned that I could not have a greenstreak type promo and required to have a phone plan so I went direct and save. I talked to a local tech about when they would be upgrading to a higher level of service and it probally wont happen for a while. My 3meg is actually pretty good but I really would love 12!! For being out in the middle of nowhere I will take it though!

Comments:

Review by joelwnelson5 See Profile

• Location: Omaha,Douglas,NE
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Consistent speeds, reasonably fast, good price"
Bad "Often takes a few calls to get something fixed; uploads are slow"
Overall "The Greenstreak option makes Windstream a great value"
(ratings well above consensus)

I use Windstream Greenstreak service in Omaha, NE. They're a CLEC here -- not the incumbent carrier. 6 MB is the fastest option in my neighborhood, and speed tests have me consistently in the 5.7-5.9 MB download range. Unlike neighbors who have cable, I don't see slowdowns or inconsistent speeds at peak times of day.

I also appreciate the free incoming calls on the phone line. I use my cell phone or a calling card for outgoing calls so the 10 cents per minute for local calls isn't a problem.

The only cons I can think of are that the 384 kbps upload speed is slower than the competition, and that the two times I've had a problem it's taken multiple calls to resolve (1 -- my order was initially entered as being a different plan than what I ordered, and 2 -- the price dropped by $5 last fall but wasn't automatically reflected on my account).

Still, despite the slower uploads and the problems I've had with the phone support, I'm not looking to switch. First, none of the competitors have a plan like Greenstreak, so that saves me money. Second, while cable has faster upload and theoretically faster download, I am also hearing of some pretty severe congestion during peak hours due to the more shared nature of cable, while my DSL speed remains consistent.

Comments:

Review by CuttinHorses See Profile

• Location: Tollesboro,Lewis,KY
Good "Uptime-Well,,,it has been sporadic recently but not down for long periods, the blinking DSL lite is scary"
Bad "They did proactively call to offer the 6MB upgrade and I get 4.9 occassionally but the local tech says I am 9,000 ft from the LO"
Overall "When I complain they put me back on the 6 MBS card, mywife squeals with delight ( and the line is faster too)but then 3 M again"

I think Windstream is also my Telco, they are the only telco in this rural area of KY. I don't think I have ever had an outage for more than a few seconds in 2+ years and before Wipro, service was the best.

It is almost amusing that they called me to offer 6M for another $5 per month and 10 days later I called the toll free they gave me, could not get to a human. called the regular toll free, got Wipro, the same guy I always speak with apologized and said he would take care of it,,,still only get about 2100 on a good day and I am a geek, I know most of the tricks I think.

They aren't BAD,but they sure aren't GOOD.

Comments:

Review by kjshimmer See Profile

• Location: Greensburg,Green,KY
Good "I have had all of the local ISP and this is the most reliable of the 3."

I have had all of the local ISP and this is the most reliable of the 3.

Comments:

Review by nikyu_mushin See Profile

• Location: Lewisville,Forsyth,NC
Good "Inexpensive, tech support was actually helpful"
Bad "Filters are a must, initial connectivity issues, tech support offshore"
Overall "Not as reliable as cable but generally acceptable"

The package I ordered was the 3mb down/ 384 kb up. The speeds I get are consistantly 2.9 down and 330 up. For $30 per month I get acceptable performance. True, it's not as fast as Roadrunner and seems to have more network issues but I get roughly the same service for $20 less per month.

I got the 2wire modem with rebate and the wireless signal is great anywhere in the house. I was surprised to find the router gave me better throughput and had a sronger signal than my Linksys router. The modem took 5 days to arrive and it took me a day to sort out the issues. I needed to use filters on all phones which gave all the phones a slight echo. Tech support is definitely offshore in India. They were helpful and very responsive. The router menu is not intuitive and running set up a second time when I had connection issues wiped out all settings. Unlike my Linksys router, pushing the reset button was a bad idea and required tech support to remotely reconfigure the modem.

member for 12.6 years, 356 visits, last login: 1.8 years ago