Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by SugarMntn See Profile

• Location: Winslow,Washington,AR
Good "Reliable, fairly high speed connection"
Bad "tech support from India"
Overall "Good Value for the Money"
(ratings well above consensus)

Since I live in the boondocks, my only other connection possibilities are dial-up ( yuck ) or satellite ( way too expensive and relatively slow ). I was very surprised when Windstream offered this service at my location. The original package I ordered was 1.5Mbps ( fastest available at that time ) and price was $19.95/month ( plus taxes, etc. ). The order and install process was very smooth. I received a Siemens 4200 dsl modem within 5 days of the original order, then had to wait a couple more days before the connection was activated ( it was activated on the date I was given when I placed the order ). Initializing the connection was swift and painless.

About 6 months ago the service was upgraded to 3Mbps ( $29.95/month plus taxes, etc. ). The upgrade to 3Mbps was activated within an hour of placing the order! Service has been excellent with rare very short periods of down-time. Speed is good - at least 2.5Mbps.

I replaced the dsl modem with a 2Wire 2701G modem/router which I ordered from Windstream. There was a bit of a messup with that - after waiting about 2 weeks ( no problem as my dsl modem still worked fine ), I called them to see what the problem was. The answer was that the order had, for some unknown reason, never been sent to 2Wire. The woman I talked to ( not from India, by the way ), submitted the order again. Within 3 days I received the equipment. Installing the new modem/router was also totally painless - not even any software to install except for some which was downloaded and installed "automatically".

I have had occasion to contact tech support regarding my service being "down". I was a bit disturbed to find that I was talking to someone in India. Having a Dell computer, I am quite used to that and was expecting the worst. However, I was very surprised that the problems were diagnosed by them and corrected within a very short period of time ( like 10 to 15 minutes ).

I also have landline and satellite ( DishNetwork ) service through Windstream ( originally Alltel ). I have never had occasion to be unhappy with their service. I am especially impressed with Windstream's apparent commitment to provide DSL service in rural areas. I have had DSL for nearly 3 years. Others in this area, serviced by SBC, don't have DSL available EVEN within the city limits ( population of about 70,000 ).

Comments:

Review by bilbo4fun See Profile

• Location: Camden,Kershaw,SC
Good "Reliable and hassle free self install"
Bad "None really"
Overall "They were my only choice..glad to have broadband"

I moved out to the country and no DSL. Called ATT then found out about windstream. Called them, no service there. 6 months later lady at the marina said my road could get it. I called Windstream and no. I lied and said my neighbor had it. Well 10 days later I had DSL. Their sales staff needs some training maybe.

member for 12.5 years, 3339 visits, last login: 139 days ago

Comments:

Review by jayco437 See Profile

• Location: Lincoln,Lancaster,NE
Good "Cheap for "switchers". Speed is good"
Bad "Install charges are unreasonable"
Overall "Cheaper than cable"

You can qualify for up to 12MB for the same rate, but I got the 6MB for $20/month for a year as a "switcher" from cable internet. Comparable cable (7MB-ish) was something like $40/month. They didn't require any proof that I had cable Internet (though I did). Install cost me over $100 on the first bill and an additional $20 or so on the second bill. I'll stick with it until the year is up then probably switch back to cable.

Install went ok. I chose the self-install but still had to have a technician come out (took a week).

Made two customer service calls so far. Wait time was a little excessive for one of the calls but it seems they have their call center here in the US at least.

So far so good, but like I said I would have chosen cable over DSL if the prices were the same. I've had minimal reliability problems with cable Internet in the past but DSL has always been a little shaky.

member for 13.1 years, 2825 visits, last login: 5.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by primehunterx See Profile

• Location: Kannapolis,Cabarrus,NC
Good "3"
Bad "1"

For the money it is great, just wish I could stay connected to use my xbox. They also boast up to 12mb service but I am told the 12mb service is not available to my area even though it is advertised....

Comments:

Review by tjreinke See Profile

• Location: Lincoln,Lancaster,NE
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "more stable than cable"
Bad "don't seem to be getting the rated speeds, almost half the quoted"
Overall "most of the time it is good, now that they are not requiring a phone line I think the price point will be better."

should have 3mps and getting around 500-700kps
tech support talk to you like your an idiot

Comments:

Review by Mr Den See Profile

• Location: Elyria,Lorain,OH
Good "Reliable, consistant speed"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Beats Time Warner (the only other choice in my area) for reliability and service"
(ratings well above consensus)

Blows Time Warner in my area away for reliability and uptime. I had cable internet for 8 years until Time Warner obtained my area and turned it into a pile of crap.

DSL from Windstream has been a refreshing change from the bungling and problems I had with my previous ISP.

Comments:

Review by TheTechGuru See Profile

• Location: Seymour,Baylor,TX
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Free 2nd Phone Line Included In DSL Price"
Bad "Higher without qualifying phone plan, contract if you don't have your own modem."
Overall "ValorNet.Com 's DSL Currently Offers The Highest Speeds In Town"
(ratings well above consensus)

I ordered 512 up and 1500 down for $34.95/mo and am getting about 420 up and 1200 down.
Considering there is a local office to go to ordering was very smooth and easy.
I provided my own Westell modem which avoided the 12 month contract.
Service is PPPoA not PPPoE, No dial in required, just DHCP an IP.
Beat's Cebridge Cable's current top speed.
Beat's Santa Rosa Telephone's DSL prices.

Update: Upgraded to 768 kbps up and 3000 kbps down and it's awesome!

member for 10.4 years, 1000 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by xxTRAGEDYxx See Profile

• Location: Kannapolis,Cabarrus,NC
Good "Great price, speeds as advertised"
Bad "questionable techs & tech support, installation time"
Overall "A few kinks but a good company!!"

We're switching from RR because we needed a static IP, Windstreams speeds are higher, and prices are LOWER. We ordered the 6000down/768up package with phone, for $49.99 a month.

My wife called to order and we were told we could up and running in 7 days MAX. On the 6th day, a tech came out to hook up our service but told us he could only hook up the phone(we declined) because there weren't any "pins" available. We called customer service to complain(my wife needs to work), they apologized but told us they were unsure of when and if any "pins would become available. We were told we'd be contacted when they did and set up an appointment.

One week after that we called to see if there was any new news. There was none. One week after that we called again and were told we had an appointment for May 1st.( they were just going to show up & hope we were home I guess)

May 1st a tech shows up to get us going. After being here for an hour he informed my wife he could only hook the phone up AGAIN because there was a problem with the lines that not only affected us, but our entire street. He told her he'd be back out tomorrow and everything would be up and running.

The next day, after being in his cherry-picker for a hour &1/2 or so, he comes to the door and says he's ready to get us going. He hooked the modem up, got on the computer, did a few things and said it's ready to go. My wife asked him what our IP address is since we're supposed to have a static. He told her she'd have to call CS. So, she called CS and they didn't know, and told her it would be a week or so before they could find out. They also told her they have to have the Mac address.(my wife knows next to nothing about technical parts of comps) She called me at work and I told her to look on the back of the modem. Although you'd think they'd have the address of their own modem. The tech's job was done and he left. My wife was on the phone with CS for an hour trying to figure out the IP address.

When I get home from work, to check out our new service I go directly to a speed test server. Everything is what it should be. I then try to call Windstream to see about our IP address and the phone doesn't work. It still doesn't work.(one day after install)

I will continue to edit this review and post what happens. So far it hasn't been the best expeirence. However, the speeds are what they advertised, the up-load is better than what RR offers, and the price is cheaper! If we can just get a few kinks worked out, I'll be a happy customer. One more thing, I've had two drops of service since the install.

Update: As I said before the phone isn't working. Yesterday(5-2), the day of the install I called CS to inform them of this problem. Today(5-3) a tech came out to fix the phone. It seems that the 1st tech, new to the company, didn't hook everything up properly. After careful consideration, so far I am happy with the service. I know theres been a few problems, but they've got out here quick to fix them and I am grateful!! I like Windstream. In fairness, one downside is the tech support in India. They aren't very knowledgeable, and seem to be reading from a script. But I know theres a tech support here in the U.S. so I'm ok.

Update: 5-09-08 Ok..well today we finally got our static IP!! After one solid week of being on the phone w/ a Windstream guy in Arkansas for probably 2 or 3 hours a day, they succeeded!!! I'm not entirely sure what to make of this whole situation. Part of me is mad that: 1) they didn't deliver what they said when they said. 2) on the phone with them 7 days straight. 3) they sent a tech to get this fixed; when he got here, he had never worked w/ static IP's & was of zero help getting the static going. 4) as of now, nobodys offered to discount our bill for their inefficiency.

But on the other hand, we spoke with one guy the whole time this was going on, which was good so we didn't have to explain over & over. He tried his best, and when he wasn't sure he talked to someone who was. He was very polite & kind. And he finally got the problem solved.

I'm somewhat giving them the benefit of the doubt in my particular case, because I know they just bought out the local tel-co here, and I can only imagine what problems might exist. Although I would be 100% sold on Windstream if someone would have given us even a partial credit for the time we were without the service we ordered. Time will tell......

Comments:

Review by nwind27 See Profile

• Location: Matthews,Mecklenburg,NC
  • Telco party Whidbey Telephone
Good "Nada..means nothing"
Bad "Todos means all"
Overall "don't even think about this ISP"

i am using 1.5M but getting 220K/s..and upgraded it to 3M, but got is 220K/s..i was calling Tec service..nothing was helped to improve. and kept asking me "Are u feeling faster than last time?" i said.."No" ater i checked my connection speed by speedtest.net..technian asked me again "Are u feeing faster than last time?" i said "i tole you same speed"..

bottem line is don't even use windstream as you isp..i am really disappting in their overall service..

Comments:

Review by Obrj See Profile

• Location: Matthews,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "Speed Is What Its Stated :)"
Bad "There Tech Support For The Workers Is Terrible (30 Min Wait)"
Overall "My 12/768 Is Running Flawlessly With No Kinks!!"

Well when the guy first got here i thought to myself, "oh no Im about to have a bad connection" but it turned out that i have to many phone jacks in my house and he tweaked my phone lines and ran my DSL on its own line. (This Guy Knew What He Was Doing) So after that he calls to have people walk through the computer part and it literaly takes like an hour because there tech support kept hanging up on him. Long story short he ran me on a separate line which i though was Genius so i dont get hickups and im up and running with no kinks!! My Experience with them is a B+